PDA

View Full Version : Living in Thailand

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11

LittleBigMan
09-01-09, 09:32
AndyBKK,

I think the crab is even cheaper at the Naklua Market, they have so much selection there like the shrimp, 120,130,140,150 Plus baht.. although far from walking st.. as for crab, being from S.F. the crab just doesn't have enough meat and too small and too much work to eat.

As for taking the Songthaw Taxi, I have a friend that rides around picking up girls on the way to work. Striking up conversation and the location they work along with their phone numbers. Whenever he rides his motorbike he scopes out girls on the way to work on motorbike taxi's see something he likes he follows like a Ninja, to the bars or go go they work. Aside of riding around in Taxi, there are other purpose for them. Take advantage of them!

LBM

Run Mann
09-08-09, 21:45
This documentary was shown on the Bravo Channel. Although focusing on the Brits, some of the occurrences can be universally applied like the incidents with the Jet Ski Operator and drugs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9Bjmemu474

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5rh9SRp9Hc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_0vZrpQ8QU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJXNQEvddjw

Yellow Fever #2
09-09-09, 04:08
Either way I like the Dutch and love going to The Netherlands. I love seeing photos of the Canadian Parliament buildings surrounded by tulips. To this day the Dutch still send Tulips every year to the Canadian Government as a thank you for their part in the liberation of Holland. I've never been to France.

During WWII, one of the Dutch Royal family was born in Ottawa, Canada where they had taken shelter. It may even have been the present day Queen.

I believe the Tulips in Ottawa are a gift from the Netherlands commemorating this birth. They may also be a thank you as part of the liberation of Holland. In any case it is a nice gesture from Holland to Canada.

There is a Tulip Festival in Ottawa every spring.

Enough talking about flowers, lets get back to talk about mongering and living in Thailand.

Yellow Fever

1Ball
09-09-09, 06:28
This documentary was shown on the Bravo Channel. Although focusing on the Brits, some of the occurrences can be universally applied like the incidents with the Jet Ski Operator and drugs.

Runn Mann, that was an interesting 40 minutes or so. At the end, the narrator talks about next week's episode. I would like to know what happened to the girl.

Do you have the link for the episode that follows?

thanks

Terry Terrier
09-09-09, 07:19
It's on Bravo TV, which uses the same satellite as Murdoch's Sky TV empire. The first episode was shown Monday eve (UK time) this week and is , I think, available to view on the Bravo website. I expect the next episode will be available on the website after it's aired on TV.

The first episode was available on torrents. Maybe the others are also?

Run Mann
09-09-09, 07:43
Runn Mann, that was an interesting 40 minutes or so. At the end, the narrator talks about next week's episode. I would like to know what happened to the girl.

Do you have the link for the episode that follows?

thanks

The series is new and currently airing on Bravo TV (UK). Additional showtimes are advertised for tomorrow and Sunday. Someone wrote a spoiler about the outcome of the series but I don't want to spoil it (if it's true) so here's the link to Bravo.

http://www.bravo.co.uk/tv-listings/?b_chnl=1&d=1&t=4

JesseJames
09-09-09, 17:20
ROFLMAO.

My father was a teenager in occupied France. My mother was a teenager during the Blitz in England.

I have walked the beaches in Normandy, walked through the cemeteries dedicated to the fallen US soldiers. The only reason these cemeteries are so beautifully kept, is as a result of the US taxpayer. the French govt wants nothing to do with them.

I grew up in France, went to school there, speak French fluently, and was never taught anything about the British and US involvement. I was tought the French Resistance liberated France. Pretty funny huh.

I can speak from both sides of the fence on this one, and let me assure you, The only reason Western Europe speaks anything other than German today, is a direct result of Churchill, and FDR. De Gaulle? oh yes, he ran away to England.

I carry a British passport and I could have a French one. it expired several years ago, and did not renew it. The arrogance of the French public when it comes to the war is laughable at best. Pathetic is a better description. They deserve each other. Communist bastards.

The majority of people, I saw, in Paris, were either Arabs or African. France has the highest percentage of Muslims in Europe. The days of Pierre, wearing a striped shirt and beret are over.

NicFrenchy
09-10-09, 02:16
The majority of people, I saw, in Paris, were either Arabs or African. France has the highest percentage of Muslims in Europe. The days of Pierre, wearing a striped shirt and beret are over.

Yeah, that's true, my poor country is taken over by the Arabs :(
BUT I totally disagree with the fact that we have the highest % of muslims in europe, that's just bull, there aren't any Statistics to back that up.

In France, I have many Arab friends and let me tell you, they are far from being muslims! the younger generation is more like the US ganstas wannabee.

Piper1
09-10-09, 19:13
In France, I have many Arab friends and let me tell you, they are far from being muslims!I work with and manage Arab Muslim professionals every day; my wife is Muslem, and I have many Arab friends. One of the Muslem managers I work with recently told me I am more Muslem than most Muslems he knows (even though he knows I'm an athiest). I know what he meant.

Run Mann
09-10-09, 23:17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9Bjmemu474

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5rh9SRp9Hc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_0vZrpQ8QU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJXNQEvddjw

As a follow up to this series, the Thug who extorted money from the Royal Marines was arrested.

http://www.andrew-drummond.com/?s=royal+marines

NicFrenchy
09-11-09, 02:33
I work with and manage Arab Muslim professionals every day; my wife is Muslem, and I have many Arab friends. One of the Muslem managers I work with recently told me I am more Muslem than most Muslems he knows (even though he knows I'm an athiest). I know what he meant.

"I know exactly what I would have told him: fuck you and your religion! you can shove it right back up your ass"
Of course, I have the privilege of not working with these religious assholes (thank god for that) :D

Daddy07
09-11-09, 03:53
...(thank god for that) :D
Who?????????? :D

NicFrenchy
09-11-09, 06:49
Who?????????? :D

God, you know, the invisible man living in the sky, who watches every thing we do every minute of every day. ;)

NicFrenchy
09-11-09, 11:01
There you go... that one got Owned!

Opebo
09-11-09, 14:35
One of the Muslem managers I work with recently told me I am more Muslem than most Muslems he knows (even though he knows I'm an athiest). I know what he meant.

Let me guess - you sport a silly beard?

Opebo
09-11-09, 20:01
I have a question for those of you expats still lucky enough to receive a stipend from the Bad Place: Do any ATMs remain that do not charge the 150 baht per transaction rip-off?

I had been using Bank of Ayudhaya but now it has begun to charge.

It is rough on those of us who only get less than 10,000 baht/month from home!

Piper1
09-11-09, 20:44
Let me guess - you sport a silly beard?No, because he thinks I'm a good guy with morals. Little does he know. :D (I guess I am when it comes to business).

PS - that 150 ATM withdrawal charge pissed me off too - made me withdraw unnecessarily large amounts just to avoid it.

Daddy07
09-12-09, 00:56
I have a question for those of you expats still lucky enough to receive a stipend from the Bad Place: Do any ATMs remain that do not charge the 150 baht per transaction rip-off?

I had been using Bank of Ayudhaya but now it has begun to charge.

It is rough on those of us who only get less than 10,000 baht/month from home!
If your money is in a Thai bank and you use that bank's ATM to make your withdrawal, you pay no transaction fee. If you use another bank's ATM, you might be charged 20 baht. If, however, you use the ATM to withdraw money on account in a foreign bank or a foreign credit card, you will be charged the 150 baht.

Opebo, since you live here, you should keep your money in a local bank account.

LittleBigMan
09-12-09, 04:07
As things get worse in Thailand, Daddy07, suggestion is becoming more and more a reality if you are a long term Expat. You got to open a account here!

Go to the Pattaya thread to see my updated report on ATM, but since I'm here I forgot to make this part of the report.

It has been reported by Expat living here! Now I'm not sure if you need a Thai Bank account. That to avoid the 150 baht charge, you can walk in and hand your ATM ( Debit/Credit ) card and request a withdraw and not get a 150 baht charge. This is to get around the Visa/MC connected contracts links with Visa and your Bank. I'm not sure how this works and I haven't tried it. One Expat I spoke to told me he did it requested 100,000 baht with his card and place the money right back into his Bangkok Bank account and avoided the 150 charge along with the wiring fee from his US Bank.

As noted don't know how it works... just hearsay regarding this method.

LBM

Jeff46
09-12-09, 09:51
As things get worse in Thailand, Daddy07, suggestion is becoming more and more a reality if you are a long term Expat. You got to open a account here!

Go to the Pattaya thread to see my updated report on ATM, but since I'm here I forgot to make this part of the report.

It has been reported by Expat living here! Now I'm not sure if you need a Thai Bank account. That to avoid the 150 baht charge, you can walk in and hand your ATM ( Debit/Credit ) card and request a withdraw and not get a 150 baht charge. This is to get around the Visa/MC connected contracts links with Visa and your Bank. I'm not sure how this works and I haven't tried it. One Expat I spoke to told me he did it requested 100,000 baht with his card and place the money right back into his Bangkok Bank account and avoided the 150 charge along with the wiring fee from his US Bank.

As noted don't know how it works... just hearsay regarding this method.

LBMI had a hell of problems last year using my credit card and international atm. So I decided to avoid using credit card and international atm. New I took with me traveller check in euro. But do not change them all in one time. If money need. I have arrange with swiss bank to send money to my thai account here. For the moment this system works well for me. One time transfer by swift to Thailand charge euro 16. Definitly will avoid credit card and international atm. My credit card was pirated twice here in Thailand.

Opebo
09-12-09, 12:44
Opebo, since you live here, you should keep your money in a local bank account.

Obviously I do, but there is no way I could live on my local salary. How is one to receive one's stipend from the dear one's at home, if not through a bank account from the Bad Place?

Daddy07
09-12-09, 13:26
...How is one to receive one's stipend from the dear one's at home, if not through a bank account from the Bad Place?
Arrange to have the stipend from the dear one's at home transferred directly into your Thai bank account so you won't be charged the annoying 150 baht each time you use a Thai ATM to withdraw money from a US account.

Opebo
09-12-09, 13:44
Arrange to have the stipend from the dear one's at home transferred directly into your Thai bank account so you won't be charged the annoying 150 baht each time you use a Thai ATM to withdraw money from a US account.

Thank you for the advice, but alas the dear ones in question are such aged decrepits they can barely manage a normal bank deposit, much less transferring money to a foreign land. Beware the enfeeblements of age which await us all!

Goyave
09-15-09, 19:49
... Do any ATMs remain that do not charge the 150 baht per transaction rip-off? ...

I've been recently told by a (usually reliable) friend that the Omsin Bank (Government Savings Bank) and AEON Than Sinsap Bank ATMs do not charge any transaction fee on foreign cards.

I haven't checked it yet by myself since, though (but probably will do that in a few weeks).

LittleBigMan
09-16-09, 01:46
Government Bank ( pink machine ) less and less of them not charging.

Aeon, not many left... South Pattaya, Tesco the machine has been removed and the one at Carrefour hasn't worked in 6 months.

That's leaves the only Aeon that I know of and it is at Tesco North!

LBM

Grkovcanin
09-19-09, 19:09
Is it possible to get euro account in thai bank and get a card with you are able to withdraw bahts from ATM without fee? Its possible with mastercard in Europe.

Goyave
09-20-09, 15:05
Is it possible to get euro account in thai bank and get a card with you are able to withdraw bahts from ATM without fee? Its possible with mastercard in Europe.It's possible to open an account in Euro (or in US$) in certain Thai banks, but not everywhere in Thailand. It's usually not a problem in Bangkok and in some other cities where many foreigners reside or transit, but it's not the same story for instance in Northeastern Thailand.

For instance, it's possible with the Bangkok Bank (and probably all other major banks) to open an account in US$ in Nong Khai, but not in Udon Thani and unless the situation has changed recently, it's not (yet?) possible to open an account in Euro in those two cities.

But in every major bank, you can open an account in Baht and with their ATM card, withdraw cash in Baht without any fee (or just a very low one if it's not an ATM from the same bank or when it's located in another province).

Minuteman
10-02-09, 01:09
Just moved to Bangkok and staying at a hotel for now. I am in the process, however, of looking for a serviced apartment.

I am on a moderate (not cheap) budget and looking for something in the 30, 000 to 45, 000 baht range. I don't need to live on Sukhumvit but I would like to be near a BTS or MRT station.

I work out of my house so I do not need to commute each day.

What I want is a decent area, close to public transportation, reasonably near the P4P heavens that we all love, and at a reasonable price. I'd also like to be close to a large fitness center (like California WOW or True Fitness) because those are my favorite places to pick up freebies.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Amjeck
10-02-09, 20:39
I am on a moderate (not cheap) budget and looking for something in the 30, 000 to 45, 000 baht range. I don't need to live on Sukhumvit but I would like to be near a BTS or MRT station.

with that budget, you could live anywhere in the city. just roam around one day and see what area you like. you'll find a place no problem.

Minuteman
10-02-09, 22:04
with that budget, you could live anywhere in the city. Just roam around one day and see what area you like. You'll find a place no problem.Thank you, that gives me some peace of mind. I was looking, however, for a more specific suggestion. I suspect there are some places more expat friendly than others.

What areas have you lived in and what did you like/dislike about them? I'd appreciate any insight you could give me.

Thanks!

Jeff46
10-03-09, 09:37
Just moved to Bangkok and staying at a hotel for now. I am in the process, however, of looking for a serviced apartment.

I work out of my house so I do not need to commute each day.

What I want is a decent area, close to public transportation, reasonably near the P4P heavens that we all love, and at a reasonable price. I'd also like to be close to a large fitness center (like California WOW or True Fitness) because those are my favorite places to pick up freebies.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!Before I can give you some recommendation! Is your budget 30 45 for the rent room only or all for leaving one month. Let me know.

Minuteman
10-04-09, 04:51
Before I can give you some recommendation! Is your budget 30 45 for the rent room only or all for leaving one month. Let me know.I understand that electricity, water, etc is on top of the monthly rent. The 30,000 to 45,000 is just for rent only. And thanks in advance for any suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Jeff46
10-04-09, 09:44
I understand that electricity, water, etc is on top of the monthly rent. The 30, 000 to 45, 000 is just for rent only. And thanks in advance for any suggestions. I really appreciate it.I have stayed in ding daeng for many years. Is thai styl aera. Expat friendly. The aera is soi sutiphong. Behind fortune tower ratchada. Shopping mall.

Near ratchada Chinese embassy. If you like thai style expat friendly thats the place. No farang ripp off as sukhumvit. Thai price.

To go there easy. And easy to move from there. The subway is in fortune tower. So from sukhumvit two station only. Station name prama9 same as the hospital name prama9. Go out fortune site. Take a motorcycle to soi sutipong. Few minute only. Ask for the bu place apartment every motorcycle know.

Bu place apartment. Is a nice moderate service apartment or can have no service. Run some room also as day room for now only 1200 per night. Is nice modern.

You can check in for some night to try the aera. There are some farang there japanese upmarket thai.

Studio with daily service see internet but is around 19.000 with no service 13.000 to add tax and service. You need deposit for two month. And you can expect ad charge for electricity water around 6000 baht depends on how you use air condition. Have a swimming pool sauna fitness. You have every thing in that soi aera easy to move everythere.

Night time after subway close easy with taxi. Every taxi knows soi sutipong ratchada ding daeng. Taxi night time from suk about 10Minutes.

You have around you all the girls working in ratchada aera. If you like thai styl pub bar also near. Many.

Nowadays I stay in ekamai soi 30 is also a thai style aera nice. But have only thai styl apartment for 4000. Nice large room garden view

Try out BU place soi sutipong. Let me know. You can pm me. I have time if you want I show you around soi sutipong I have heat up that aera once.

EDITOR'S NOTE: I would suggest that the author or another Forum Member consider posting a link to this report in the Reports of Distinction thread. Please Click Here (http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/announcement-reportsofdistinction.php) for more information.

Fourniceight
10-04-09, 15:57
Government Bank ( pink machine ) less and less of them not charging.

Aeon, not many left... South Pattaya, Tesco the machine has been removed and the one at Carrefour hasn't worked in 6 months.

That's leaves the only Aeon that I know of and it is at Tesco North!

LBM
A couple of days ago a friend used the AEON ATM at Home Works, next to Big C, South Pattaya, and it worked without charging 150 baht. It's not easy to find an AEON machine that's actually working. This is one of the few (In Pattaya anyway). I'm told that the Carrefour AEON machine hasn't been working for months.

LittleBigMan
10-05-09, 11:27
It was reported recently that the Aeon machine at Tesco South was moved so maybe it ended up at Big C, near Homeworks.

Confirmed the Aeon isn't working at Carrefour and hasn't been for over 6 months. The main Branch for Aeon is at North Pattaya Tesco North.

It was mentioned also that the Govenment Bank ( Pink Machine ) on Second Rd. opposite the Mike Shopping Arcade isn't charging. Don't mix this up with Mike Shopping Center!

LBM

Boricua
10-11-09, 18:25
I am currently collecting social security and am sure I can continue to collect if I relocate to Thailand. I am fighting to collect disability am need to know if I can collect disability if I move to Thailand. I receive my medical from the VA and I know that I can continue to receive my VA benefits in Manila.

Any way to continue VA if I live in Thailand?

Run Mann
10-12-09, 01:44
I am currently collecting social security and am sure I can continue to collect if I relocate to Thailand. I am fighting to collect disability am need to know if I can collect disability if I move to Thailand. I receive my medical from the VA and I know that I can continue to receive my VA benefits in Manila.

Did you ask the VA? I'm sure they will know.

www.va.gov

LittleBigMan
10-12-09, 05:55
What I have learned is many Expats go through a lot of hoops to do the right thing like getting Long term Visa, Driver license, Bank Accounts, etc... then after they relocate they find out their dream land isn't what is suppose to be after only a few months.

Although after the Patriot Act.. the government seem to know everything about us when we come and go. I personally don't give a fuck what they know. If I was collecting S.S. and you let them know you are living outside the country at 65 you don't qualify for Medicare! Not sure of the VA, funny they sent you to another country to fight a war yet they won't allow you to have medical care in another country. We speak of globol economy but if a country want to save money you would think they would allow you to get medical care in another country if the institution is accedited and do the billing direct or Fax back to the U.S. for payment into your account.

Personally, I wouldn't would not say a things until I had to and let S.S. deposit the money into your Country bank and just ATM, it out every month.
They can't even run the country what is the % that they will track you down?

LBM

Idol1
10-15-09, 19:32
Would anybody of you experianced BKK folks get me some input on how you would handle an apartment search.

I really got to like our hobby and LOS as a whole during my visits over the years. The thing that always put me off a bit was the communication problem. So I decided to give it a shot and start learning thai. I did some diy at home and want to spend now up to 3 month there to primarily learn the language and see how it goes. So I am looking for an apartment.

An internet search turns up some rental agencies and I was wondering if you would make use of their services while still being at home or if you would rather shop around the first days yourself and run into some of their offices and see what s available at short notice.

I am talking about November - January ,so there isn t much time for notice anyway.
I would really appreciate some first hand insights.

(Thx Jeff46 for the information provided about your lodging areas. I am rather looking for something traditional thai than the latest in-room fancies.

So it would be cool to know how you found your current place)

Many thanks in advance

Fon Tok
10-16-09, 09:19
Would anybody of you experianced BKK folks get me some input on how you would handle an apartment search...You might check the Bangkok Craigslist website. There's a few good deals on there for "regular" apartments (as opposed to serviced ones).

If you know where you want to live you could just walk around and look for "for rent" signs. There's places for rent everywhere. I'd pick one of the lesser known BTS station areas away from the popular ones, maybe out toward Mo Chit. It would give you a good chance to practice your Thai, as well.

NicFrenchy
10-16-09, 10:20
You might check the Bangkok Craigslist website. There's a few good deals on there for "regular" apartments (as opposed to serviced ones).

If you know where you want to live you could just walk around and look for "for rent" signs. There's places for rent everywhere. I'd pick one of the lesser known BTS station areas away from the popular ones, maybe out toward Mo Chit. It would give you a good chance to practice your Thai, as well.

You can also find some studios in the Victory monument area for as low as 6~7k per month

Idol1
10-18-09, 06:45
Thanks for the input, Fon Tok and NicFrenchy.

I never thought about craigslist. And the Victory Mon. area looks nice to me. Not as many farang-specialized thais there as in sukhumvit and well connected.

I feel comfortable now to just hit town and arrange things the first days there.

Minuteman
11-02-09, 06:52
I've been traveling to Asia 4-8 times a year for the last two decades and just made the permanent move to Bangkok at the beginning of October.

I have been staying with a friend in the Asoke area but am ready to start looking for my own apartment. I would appreciate the opinion of what parts of town to consider and/or any recommendations of good real estate agents.

My budget is less than 30,000 a month and I want to be near either the BTS or Metro.

J Jack
11-07-09, 04:36
I had the opportunity to visiting Thailand about 3 years ago, roughly three weeks purely a tourist adventure spent time in Bangkok, Pattaya, and Krabi. It was during songkran, it was hot but I survived as a fat white man. It was long enough to hook me. In 5 years time (taking me to 48 years of age) I will generate a fixed source income of about 93, 399 BHT per month without ever having to touch my principle. I wouldn't need to be employed in Thailand. What kind of lifestyle would that afford me lets say in Bangkok, or Pattaya, or even somewhere else close to a beach. I guess what I am looking for is the ability to sit on a beach once in awhile, enjoy a drink, simple food, not give a shit if I am gaining weight or losing it, a clean safe place to live with air conditioning and the internet. A nice looking lady to play with when I want, and time to be all by myself if I want that too. Am I stuck in a one time visitors pipe dream or is it doable?

Fon Tok
11-07-09, 09:14
...In 5 years time (taking me to 48 years of age) I will generate a fixed source income of about 93, 399 BHT per month without ever having to touch my principle...What kind of lifestyle would that afford me lets say in Bangkok, or Pattaya, or even somewhere else close to a beach....a clean safe place to live with air conditioning and the internet. A nice looking lady to play with when I want, etc.,...is it doable?Really depends on how you like to live, and what makes you happy. 93K baht a month is a nice chunk of change in the LOS, even for a farang! You'll do just fine, (actually better than that), as long as you live within reasonable means (e.g., a small, but nice, apartment; no car - maybe a motorbike; do not sponsor a girl(s); don't drink 1000 baht daily; budget massages, barfines and sanook; etc., etc.).

The only issues I see, (and feel), are that prices are moving up as time goes on, and whatever currency you receive your income in might fluctuate a bit with the exchange rate. When I first came here it was 40baht/$1us; today it is 33baht/$1.

Today, you could easily live on 60K a month, and bank the rest for travel and a reserve for a rainy day (e.g., clothes, health care, a new TV, etc). I've found that the longer I live in the LOS, my normal needs have become less costly as I've downsized my western lifestyle.

My suggestion is to try it first for a few months in the dry season, go home and see how it feels, and then try it again for a longer period (incl: hot season and rainy season). You'll know if you like it after a couple of extended stays.

Just don't let some little Thai vixen get you all wound up with, "Darling, I miss you too much...!"

NicFrenchy
11-07-09, 09:25
I will generate a fixed source income of about 93, 399 BHT per month without ever having to touch my principle.

Now wouldn't be a good time to tell you that my rent alone is 80k would it?

however, 93k is enough to live like a prince.

Crazy Jim Wood
11-07-09, 16:21
It is quite likely that the U.S. government in general would not consider you to be a non-resident as long as you do not make any effort to convince them otherwise.
You may want to change your state residency before moving, since some states do not have state income tax.
Some U.S. states also have relaxed residency requirements.
For example, North Dakota I think you only need to be there one day to become a resident.
You can also get a service there to handle your mail. That way all your veteran's benefits and tax paperwork goes to a U.S. address.
You show up once a year (if even that is necessary) vote or do something then go back to Thailand.
I know that many insurance companies honor overseas medical expenses, although I have no way to know about medicare.
However there may be important distinctions between receiving medical care while overseas travelling and receiving medical care while residing overseas. But there is really no way for anyone to know what your situation is if you do not make an effort to become a non-resident.
If you have significant income, you might want to be a non-resident, since your first 80,000+ is not taxed in the U.S., and jsut cover your own medical that is not covered by insurance, but if your income is not that significant, pay taxes as a full time U.S. resident and hopefully no one will be the wiser.
You can also come back to the U.S. for expensive medical care, in which case there should be no question of coverage.
Regardless what you do with U.S. residency, if you are actually going to be out of country most of the time, you might as well change your state residency to a state that is more favorable. For example, some states tax pensions and some don't, some have state income tax some don't, etc. If it was me I would change at least to North Dakota (or is it South?) which has not state income tax, and a 1 day residency requirement, then if I find an even better state I would change again. I think most other states are a little more difficult to establsih residency but not impossible.

It goes without saying you shouldn't take tax/medical coverage advice from some guy on a mongering board, however, I would encourage you to look into the tax/benefits advantages/disadvantages of U.S. residency and state residency.

LittleBigMan
11-08-09, 01:06

Crazy Jim Wood, has made a lot of good points. But let me put it this way for you.

I have been screwed over with a red hot poker more than once by the Government so I take the attitude now " that the less they know the better " but before you take that approach you have to spend the time to do your research and take the time to ask some questions which I don't think you are really doing. In regards to the VA benefits you can pretty much go online or to a local office and sit down and ask your questions and get it first hand. But when you do you got to remember to tell them you are only thinking and not actually doing it!!!! Testing the waters only....

Not knowing your exact age! You mentioned that you are collecting Social Security already and that you are fighting to collect disability. This is confusing to me? Are you collecting S.S. because you are 62,65, and trying to collect disability through S.S. because the monthly payout is the higher? If so once you get classified and payment starts coming it's payout just like your regular S.S., you need to contact S.S. as to living outside the country... you don't need to necessary identify yourself to ask this question! You need to really provide more information regarding the above.

Now in regards to Thailand! The Bangkok Bank Headquarters in New York has a contract with Social Security to deposit benefit checks for Expats living in Thailand that are collecting S.S. but not sure about the P.I.? But if your goal is for them to not know you are living full time overseas certainly this method they would know. And as far as knowing with the Patriot Act... today they know everytime to check out of a U.S. Airport.. They know everything.. but the key is as screwed up as the Government appears to be only you can decide whether you want to take the chance in deceiving them and whether with all the things they got to do have time to fuck with you?

Assuming you are disable now and collecting social security I'm going to guess you are maybe 62-65 of age! Since you have Medical with the VA, you don't need Medicare since I was told if I don't live in U.S. for at least 6 month I don't get Medicare! Not sure if VA will do direct billing for you in the P.I. unless there is a VA American hospital in P.I.

As for Taxes etc.....Unless you are already living near North Dakota, personally who the f--K wants to live or use that State as a resident unless you have family or you have no choice to get around the system. Since we don't know where you live... Nevada. Florida, Washington, Hawaii, has no State tax and if you have family or friends and can use their mailing address they are States at least closer to the coast to catching a Flight out to P.I. but North Dakota,, I say Hee Hawg! Otherwise, if you don't have to move and don't have lots of money since you seem to be living off S.S. and if you qualify for Disability you might now even have to worry about taxes... but check with a professional tax person!

In the end.. the less the Government knows the better as far as I'm concern f--k them.

Dickhead
11-21-09, 20:11
Both Hawaii and North Dakota have state income taxes. South Dakota has no income tax. Also if one is eligible for Social Security retirement benefits based on age one is automatically not eligible for SS disability.

Oldian
11-23-09, 18:26
Would anybody of you experianced BKK folks get me some input on how you would handle an apartment search.

I really got to like our hobby and LOS as a whole during my visits over the years. The thing that always put me off a bit was the communication problem. So I decided to give it a shot and start learning thai. I did some diy at home and want to spend now up to 3 month there to primarily learn the language and see how it goes. So I am looking for an apartment.

An internet search turns up some rental agencies and I was wondering if you would make use of their services while still being at home or if you would rather shop around the first days yourself and run into some of their offices and see what s available at short notice.

I am talking about November - January ,so there isn t much time for notice anyway.
I would really appreciate some first hand insights.

(Thx Jeff46 for the information provided about your lodging areas. I am rather looking for something traditional thai than the latest in-room fancies.

So it would be cool to know how you found your current place)

Many thanks in advance

Craigslist does offer a huge range of possibilities, although personally I find them to often be well overpriced or just higher end. A far better option in my book would be to use prakard http://www.Prakard. Com/, you can then click on the area of town you are interested in, and under that section they show virtually ever major condo and development project. You then click on specific ones and there will be a thread entitled Buy and Rent which has daily postings. Outside of the Sukhumvit listings, most of the postings are in Thai, but it is easy enough to read the numbers and square meter specs. And have a Thai friend help out for anything else. Lots and lots of nice condo rental offerings right now in Lat Phrao, Ratchada, and elsewhere near public transit stations in the 10,000 range.

Oldian
11-23-09, 18:35
I had the opportunity to visiting Thailand about 3 years ago, roughly three weeks purely a tourist adventure spent time in Bangkok, Pattaya, and Krabi. It was during songkran, it was hot but I survived as a fat white man. It was long enough to hook me. In 5 years time (taking me to 48 years of age) I will generate a fixed source income of about 93, 399 BHT per month without ever having to touch my principle. I wouldn't need to be employed in Thailand. What kind of lifestyle would that afford me lets say in Bangkok, or Pattaya, or even somewhere else close to a beach. I guess what I am looking for is the ability to sit on a beach once in awhile, enjoy a drink, simple food, not give a shit if I am gaining weight or losing it, a clean safe place to live with air conditioning and the internet. A nice looking lady to play with when I want, and time to be all by myself if I want that too. Am I stuck in a one time visitors pipe dream or is it doable?As others have posted, all depends what you want to do each night. Just wandering into a Carrefour or Tesco to buy a salmon steak or some sort of cooked meal, grab a loaf of bread, et al. I will spend several hundred baht, versus stopping at my street locale and spending 30-40 baht.

At any rate, on the cheap, say you rent a small place with aircon and all your basic amenities, 7-12, 000, electricity another 1-2, 000 depending how much air con you use, another 100-150 baht taxi/BTS/transport money per day (presuming you go out a lot and take a taxi ride or two each day), internet service 600 baht a month, 1000 baht a month ballpark fitness center use, 150-400 baht a day food depending on your eating habits, more if you want western food and in restaurants. Well, you are still at under 30, 000. So you could essentially be with a different lady 30 nights a month at 1000-1500 and you would still be putting money in the bank. Now I haven't said a word about alcohol, or god forbid, bar fines. I make less than you, and feel like I live pretty damn high on the hog here.

The Middleman
12-01-09, 09:21
Good day everyone
For the first time I write in another part of the forum so I ask the advice despite my use of Google's translation software.

The more I read about Thailand as a favorite pastime, I see the differences between what is offered to me now and what can be achieved in your country.
My problem and this maybe funny is that only sex is not my big interest, I'm looking for the place where I can connect with new friends and maybe a local community.
Maybe it's strange to hear but for my basic feeling I'm more to a company, challenging work and interest than sex all the time.

When I examine it more deeply challenging work is the main issue which prevents me to make the transition.

So I beg your patience to my questions as they might not be related to the forum but to life/work in your country.

1 - Is there work in computers, if so what are the wages?
2 - Is experience gained in another country will buy a better job or that there is discrimination for locals?
3 - Is it possible to reach managerial positions or it is completely blocked in this area?

Thanks in advance to all who help.

Opebo
12-01-09, 09:54
I've never met anyone in Thailand who made money here except for teachers, and they make a horrible pittance.

NicFrenchy
12-01-09, 09:59
http://www.traveldailyasia.com/LocalNews/Detail.aspx?Section=32489

Goyave
12-02-09, 13:18
About the wages for IT professionals (and also about salary for some other jobs in the services sector) in Thailand, you can find useful information in this document: http://bangkoklibrary.com/sites/default/files/media/2009/05/kelly-services-thailand-salary-handbook-2008-2009.pdf

J Jack
12-07-09, 02:20
As others have posted, all depends what you want to do each night. Just wandering into a Carrefour or Tesco to buy a salmon steak or some sort of cooked meal, grab a loaf of bread, et al. I will spend several hundred baht, versus stopping at my street locale and spending 30-40 baht.

At any rate, on the cheap, say you rent a small place with aircon and all your basic amenities, 7-12, 000, electricity another 1-2, 000 depending how much air con you use, another 100-150 baht taxi/BTS/transport money per day (presuming you go out a lot and take a taxi ride or two each day), internet service 600 baht a month, 1000 baht a month ballpark fitness center use, 150-400 baht a day food depending on your eating habits, more if you want western food and in restaurants. Well, you are still at under 30, 000. So you could essentially be with a different lady 30 nights a month at 1000-1500 and you would still be putting money in the bank. Now I haven't said a word about alcohol, or god forbid, bar fines. I make less than you, and feel like I live pretty damn high on the hog here.Thanks Oldian and others. If anyone has any favorite Thai expat forums for me to start to build my knowledge it would be appreciated. How many of you have learned to speak Thai and how long did it take you.

Finrod
12-07-09, 15:17
If you have significant income, you might want to be a non-resident, since your first 80,000+ is not taxed in the U.S., and jsut cover your own medical that is not covered by insurance, but if your income is not that significant, pay taxes as a full time U.S. resident and hopefully no one will be the wiser.
That 80,000+ exemption only applies to foreign earned income, not to passive income like interest, dividends, capital gains, etc. The IRS website has publications that cover foreign income reporting and foreign residency requirements.

Goyave
12-07-09, 15:35
Thanks Oldian and others. If anyone has any favorite Thai expat forums for me to start to build my knowledge it would be appreciated. How many of you have learned to speak Thai and how long did it take you.

ThaiVisa (http://www.thaivisa.com/) is probably a good expat forum for general information.

I speak (not fluently yet, but enough for being autonomous in common situations of the everyday life), can read and can write some Thai (very slowly and just basic sentences). I live daily in this country since end of year 2002 (my first stay as a tourist occurred more than 10 years ago though), but most of my language skills have been acquired during my first 6 months as a resident, I guess (I then bought and read several dictionnaries and grammar books, visited several websites about Thai language, etc.). And last, but not least, I've been fucking hundreds of Thai girls since 1999, which might have helped improving my language skills a bit too!

Jeff46
12-11-09, 15:55
Guys I need to find a massage scool in Bangkok english speaking.

Training course a least one month. Good one

What po I know but for one month have to stay outside Bangkok.

Any other suggestion. Thanks

Its for a guy. Health massage. (no sex of course)

Gfighta
12-13-09, 06:36
Anyone have a contact to buy watches in BKK? A guy I used to deal with in Patpong is no longer there.

The Middleman
12-16-09, 10:29
My friend

The only job you'll find that pays is as a teacher. Understand your wage if any will be next to nothing. I have a friend that has a masters in education and he is luckyif he clears 30k a year. NOTE: he has two jobs and there both in education

If your IT savy IE: you can earn an income off the web this is your best bet

You should come with money and supliment it with a job that compliments your life style....According to the salaries of Hi-tech seems to be a difference of a tenth with a salary that I receive today, which means a decline in living standards for the simple reason that if I take the measure of payment for sex comparison, the payment is the same so I can expect less than I get now. Although it can not compare with the quality and options that available for you.

The way I see it the only option is to obtain a job with companies that work with Thailand. the problem is that Thailand is not considerd as cheap labor in the field of IT as India. infrastructure is built just for local use.

Demand for knowledge has protested, but not to the bathroom is long-term service or professional people. The strange thing in my eyes is that many professional people who move to Thailand but can not integrate into the local industry with all the knowledge they have.

Butt Head
12-17-09, 11:38
To my bros,

I will have at least 70,000 USD in June.

Is that enough to live off on for the rest of my life or should I still try and work for the next 14 years and collect retierment?

I am in the US GOV I am trying to pull out before the world gets crazy so I can enjoy life.

I am 35 now let me know.

Member #3428
12-17-09, 21:16
To my bros,

Is that enough to live off on for the rest of my life or should I still try and work for the next 14 years and collect retierment?

I am in the US GOV I am trying to pull out before the world gets crazy so I can enjoy life.

I am 35 now let me know.

Are you joking? 70,000 USD if you live 40 more years is about 80,000 baht a year for you (without Time Value Money and interest accumulated on unused amounts), so about 6,666 baht a month.

You want to know if you can go to LOS and live there without working on that amount for the rest of your life, no way. IF you get a job there that pays you then you might live basic existence.

Condo would be 2 million baht or so in a basic place. Homes farther out if you can get would be less of course. If you marry a lady and can get land for free fine but you will be considered an ATM for her entire family.

Nice dream you have mate...

Charlie Horse
12-18-09, 00:51
To my bros,

I am 35 now let me know.
Since you are dreaming, spend the 70 large on either lottery tickets or go to vegas and put it all on black.

Pita123
12-18-09, 19:05
1 - Is there work in computers, if so what are the wages?

Your best bet is going to have some niche IT skills. If you are just another project manager or just another C# coder then you aren't going to have an easy time. Unless you have some seriously unique skills, or are pretty senior already, you will need to be able to speak Thai.

2 - Is experience gained in another country will buy a better job or that there is discrimination for locals?

It isn't an issue of discrimination as much as practicality and the way business is done. Consider someone that doesn't speak the language of your country who is trying to get work in the local IT industry. Specs are in the local language, not English. Tenders come out in the local language, not English. The business cards of many of the IT people you need to interact with are only in the local language with English only showing up in the email address. So while you may have experience, it won't necessarily be useful since you don't speak the language. Same as your country. The foreign-focused high-tech market that exists in your country, and is full of people that don't speak the local language well, doesn't exist in Thailand.

3 - Is it possible to reach managerial positions or it is completely blocked in this area?

I would say that you have to come in at the managerial level in an IT company. Your best bet would be to work for a global organisation and be transferred in to manage a large project. To this extent your experience with similar projects and ability to identify similar projects in Thailand would be useful.

LittleBigMan
12-21-09, 04:05
To my bros,

I am 35 now let me know.

Butt Head!

This must be a joke! you only got 70,000 and only 35 years of age and work for the U.S. Government. Working the the Government is like taking a vacation each day and getting paid triple what everyone else in the real world does for a living. Although a generalization point of view I have been saying years before the meltdown the Government has always been Bankrupt and just doesn't want to face up to it since it is a Black Hole! Look today we are deeper than ever in debt and Government is still rolling along and it doesn't matter who the hell is President!

If I had played my cards right like one of my buddies, who worked for the Government, went to work each day late, went to his cubicle and stay there all day, never care to get a advancement but took most of his rises even in meltdowns and sock it away in his 401K. He retired last year at 56, and still looks 35 years of age... the Government didn't give him a watch and no one care to step up to give him a party because they didn't even know who the hell he was? But they knew him well enough that he drew a six figure Government retirement and lives like a king in Thailand majority of the year and has no bills to pay!

Your choice but you are still too young and naive to think clearly! Just come to Thailand for Hoilidays and get your pipes cleaned and go back to your job for another 20 years and you will thank me if I'm still alive!

LBM

Member #2041
12-22-09, 12:29
Anyone have a contact to buy watches in BKK? A guy I used to deal with in Patpong is no longer there.

Here's what I found over the past 2 weeks. I too used to get stuff from the guy in Patpong who's no longer there.

I got a quite nice fake Jaeger LeCoultre Master Control mechanical automatic from a shop on the 3rd floor of the MBK - 1450 baht negotiated down from an initial asking price of 3300. Don't recall which shop, though - but there were several with decent copies if you asked to see them on the 3rd floor of the MBK. Mostly Rolex, Patek Philippe, IWC, A. Lange & Sohne, and Breitling copies - but occasionally some others, like the Jaeger LeCoultre I picked up.

Also, in Pattaya, there are a couple of shops in the Simon Arcade right next to the entrance to Walking street where they have some crappy fakes out front, and the book with all of the brands listed. When I asked to see the good stuff, not the junk that was on display out front - at both places I was taken in the back to a storage locker where they had quite a decent collection of high quality fakes from a range of brands. I ended up buying two different styles of mechanical manual wind copies of Patek Philippe Calatravas - the two cost me 1650 baht each, negotiated down from 3500 baht asking price.

Also in some other stalls in Patpong, a couple of the other stalls I saw had some decent IWC, A. Lange & Sohne copies available, but nothing I was specifically looking for. I did pick up a couple of cheapo quartz copies, of a Movado and a Vacheron Constantin that were in the 350-400 baht range (negotiated down from 1200 or so), but these are not the serious high quality mechanical copies that the other 3 were (but that's why they were sub 400 baht). They were merely functional quartz watches that looked good and were cheap.

Gfighta
12-22-09, 19:40
Thanks Member #2041. The guy I used to deal with in Patpong never sold me any of the watches he had on display. We would walk a couple blocks down to this souvenir shop and behind a bookshelf was a hidden room filled with the goods. Typically for the watches you describe I would pay about 1500 Baht as well.

I haven't been in Thailand for about a year so it's too bad that he's not around anymore. I'll check out the 3rd floor MBK to see what I can find.

Here's what I found over the past 2 weeks. I too used to get stuff from the guy in Patpong who's no longer there.

I got a quite nice fake Jaeger LeCoultre Master Control mechanical automatic from a shop on the 3rd floor of the MBK - 1450 baht negotiated down from an initial asking price of 3300. Don't recall which shop, though - but there were several with decent copies if you asked to see them on the 3rd floor of the MBK. Mostly Rolex, Patek Philippe, IWC, A. Lange & Sohne, and Breitling copies - but occasionally some others, like the Jaeger LeCoultre I picked up.

Also, in Pattaya, there are a couple of shops in the Simon Arcade right next to the entrance to Walking street where they have some crappy fakes out front, and the book with all of the brands listed. When I asked to see the good stuff, not the junk that was on display out front - at both places I was taken in the back to a storage locker where they had quite a decent collection of high quality fakes from a range of brands. I ended up buying two different styles of mechanical manual wind copies of Patek Philippe Calatravas - the two cost me 1650 baht each, negotiated down from 3500 baht asking price.

Also in some other stalls in Patpong, a couple of the other stalls I saw had some decent IWC, A. Lange & Sohne copies available, but nothing I was specifically looking for. I did pick up a couple of cheapo quartz copies, of a Movado and a Vacheron Constantin that were in the 350-400 baht range (negotiated down from 1200 or so), but these are not the serious high quality mechanical copies that the other 3 were (but that's why they were sub 400 baht). They were merely functional quartz watches that looked good and were cheap.

Gfighta
01-10-10, 06:28
Sorry if this is opening up a can of worms but I'm curious as to what is the conflict between Stickman and The Galt?

Can anyone give a summery of what the beef is between the two?

Alistair
01-15-10, 10:56
I know I'm way out of topic here but I feel this is one of those forums where you can ask just about anything...

Any of you know a decent/reliable printing shop or typography in Pattaya to have a large number of leaflets printed out?

Anyway, sorry I barged in with this, hope I didn't put you off talking about naughty stuff ;p

Happy Harry
01-28-10, 14:15
Finally I got a damn valid excuse to go back to Thailand that the mrs won't be sus about.

I have to get wisdom teeth removed and a implant. Checked prices in Australia and they quoted prices in excess of $4k because I don't have hospital cover.

I had a look on the internet but they were obviously directed towards farang so they're quite expensive.

Can anyone recommend a good place to go to in Thailand to get dental work done as well as some P4P? BKK, Pattaya??

Thanks in advance,
Harry

Member #3428
01-28-10, 14:18
Can anyone recommend a good place to go to in Thailand to get dental work done as well as some P4P? BKK, Pattaya??

There are good clinics in both pattaya and bkk.... I used one in BKK... Dental White on Soi 22 in BKK.... Pick your city first then find your clinic.

Catire
02-03-10, 15:32
Hello gentlemen, if you don't mind I'll repost something I also posted on the general forum in the hopes I can get slightly better answers here, as I don't follow the usual tourist go-go bar/soapy massage adventures and venues.

I realize individual mileage varies with everything, even pricing. Nonetheless I'd like to get a basic idea of the general "going rate" with the after hour club freelancers.. both Thai and non Thai. I know there are some Russians and Uzbeks, former FSU girls around as well and I suspect their prices will be higher but I'd like to know what to generally expect.

thanks in advance.

Also, I'd like to get an idea of the RCA scene and when is the best time to go, and what are the best places to go. A friend who's slightly younger than I went last year and did very well. I'm in my early forties but pass for thirty something and am in shape.

any advice comments and suggestions appreciated and once again thank you in advance.

Sprite13
02-07-10, 07:54
I would like to spend 6 months to a year in Thailand starting sometime later this year. I work online so I what I'd like to know is what type of visa would I need to stay in Thailand for upwards of 1 year while working there on my online biz?
Also, I'd have a budget of about say US$4-5K per month, initially which will be increased later on. Is that enough to be able to rent a nice apart (nothing luxurious but nice enough in a good and safe neighbourhood, eating 99% of the time out and going out everynight? Is that achievable or not enough on that amount?

I thank you all for your valuable feedback,

Cheers.

Finrod
02-07-10, 08:11
I would like to spend 6 months to a year in Thailand starting sometime later this year. I work online so I what I'd like to know is what type of visa would I need to stay in Thailand for upwards of 1 year while working there on my online biz?
Also, I'd have a budget of about say US$4-5K per month, initially which will be increased later on. Is that enough to be able to rent a nice apart (nothing luxurious but nice enough in a good and safe neighbourhood, eating 99% of the time out and going out everynight? Is that achievable or not enough on that amount?

I thank you all for your valuable feedback,

Cheers.
There is no visa for your kind of working. I've looked into this just a little bit:

There is a 60 day tourist visa which must be applied for outside of Thailand but is renewable for another 30 days in country. I'm under the impression you can do the 90 days twice back-to-back (with a single out-of-country run in between), but not more than that. But of course the rules change frequently... I have read about a 1 year educational visa which requires you to take classes in Thai/Thai culture: you must be sponsored by the institution. Search google for this one. Other posters may have more info regarding other types of visas (investment, retirement, etc.), but those are the two that were closest to my consideration.

As far as you working your own biz online, this bit of advice applies just about anywhere in SE Asia: keep a low profile about it as you don't want any problems with the local authorities. US$4k/month (about 130k baht/month) will be more than sufficient for you to live well in BKK and really well in other areas. Unless of course you are the type who's gotta pay top dollar and eat at the expensive places most nights.

House007
02-07-10, 08:43
I know I'm way out of topic here but I feel this is one of those forums where you can ask just about anything...

Any of you know a decent/reliable printing shop or typography in Pattaya to have a large number of leaflets printed out?

Anyway, sorry I barged in with this, hope I didn't put you off talking about naughty stuff ;p

I recently had some simple business cards printed in a small print shop on Pattaya Tai near Soi Weera or Soi 9. I don't think it should be a problem to get any print job done at that or a similar place.

As for typography and design, the question is whether you do it yourself on some layout program and just give them the file or want them to do that, in which case I would be more hesitant as I feel that their taste for fonts and colors is a bit different.

In any case I would suggest to monitor the work while done and be there for the actual printing.

I assume you live in Pattaya. Otherwise I would not know why you would like to have it done in P.

Feel free to pm me, I will be in P in a couple of days.

Depending on the specs, print jobs can be tricky anywhere in this world.

Cheers
House007

Blood Yamo
02-08-10, 10:08
There is no visa for your kind of working. I've looked into this just a little bit:

There is a 60 day tourist visa which must be applied for outside of Thailand but is renewable for another 30 days in country. I'm under the impression you can do the 90 days twice back-to-back (with a single out-of-country run in between), but not more than that. But of course the rules change frequently... I have read about a 1 year educational visa which requires you to take classes in Thai/Thai culture: you must be sponsored by the institution. Search google for this one. Other posters may have more info regarding other types of visas (investment, retirement, etc.), but those are the two that were closest to my consideration.

As far as you working your own biz online, this bit of advice applies just about anywhere in SE Asia: keep a low profile about it as you don't want any problems with the local authorities. US$4k/month (about 130k baht/month) will be more than sufficient for you to live well in BKK and really well in other areas. Unless of course you are the type who's gotta pay top dollar and eat at the expensive places most nights.When I was in Chiang Mai in Nov. The University was offering a one year visa and as I understand it one would just need to be a native English speaker and meet with a Thai student an hour or 2 per week. No pay though. $4k to $5k per month in Chiang mai would have you living quite well, from my experience.

Good luck!

One To Go
02-09-10, 06:38
University was offering a one year visa ...and as I understand it one would just need to be a native English speaker and meet with a Thai student an hour or 2 per week. Totally wrong information for the "Ed Visa" in Thailand.

I hope no one is making plans based on that "advice".

-One_To_Go

Chiangmai

One To Go
02-09-10, 06:44
...University was offering a one year visa and as I understand it one would just need to be a native English speaker and meet with a Thai student an hour or 2 per week. No, that is totally wrong information for the Education Visa in Thailand.

I hope nobody is making plans based on that "advice".

Google research will easily find accurate information.

-- One_To_Go

Chiangma

One To Go
02-09-10, 06:51
...business cards printed...Every shopping center in all the larger, tourist cities will have at least one shop for business cards.

Ask at the information counter in the shopping center.

They will design for you.
Most can speak some English.
Typically takes 30 minutes -- go have a coffee.
Basic business cards start at 100 baht for 100 cards.

One_To_Go

Chiangmai

One To Go
02-09-10, 06:59
. What type of visa would I need to stay in Thailand for upwards of 1 year while working there on my online bizBest advice is to get a proper visa lawyer here.

Without proper planning. And a good lawyer. If there is any question about your status here, could be an unpleasant problem for you.

Among expats, there are many stories of those who tried to dodge the visa requirements, but didn't make it.

Chiangmai

One To Go
02-09-10, 07:06
Can anyone recommend a good place to go to in Thailand to get dental work doneIf you don't know your way around here, then go to a hospital for dental work.

That's right, a hospital.

Every large hospital will have a dental clinic.

That's where I went for my first dental work in Thailand.

You'll get professional care at a reasonable price, but not cheap.

There are many independent dental clinics in all the larger, tourist, cities.

Many advertise to foreigners, and offer English and other languages.

I've tried a few independent clinics.

Service can be good. Or maybe not. But you won't know until you try.

I've had some good work, some mediocre, and (twice) really terrible work at independent dental clinics.

For my money, until you find a dentist you know and trust, start by going to a dental clinic in a large hospital.

ChiangMai

Sprite13
02-09-10, 07:19
Thanks Finrod and BY for the replies. Much appreciated.
Finrod, the Uni visa you're mentioning, is that to study at the Uni or to teach?
I have no desire whatsoever to teach English. Also, another thing that is daunting me is the the fact that I do not speak a word of Thai and this is not an easy language at all. Of course, I would like to take a course there to learn the language, but initially is English enough to get by?

Thanks again guys.

One To Go
02-09-10, 08:07
. Uni visa. Is that to study at the UniIf you want an education visa for long-stay in Thailand, you have many options.

Many private language schools can provide long-stay visas; not just the universities.

However, there's another side of this to keep in mind:

Because ed visas have been abused, the Immigration Police started testing foreigners on their progress in actually learning the language.

What happens to your visa status if your language skills don't satisfy the Immigration Police?

I don't know.

From personal experience, I can assure you, Thai language is very difficult.

You've been warned.

. Initially is English enough to get by?Yes, English certainly is enough to get by, if you are staying in one of the large, tourist areas.

Many signs and menus are in English.

You will be able to find a place to stay, food to eat, etc, with few problems.

However, as soon as you venture even a few hundred meters outside of the tourist areas, it is a strange, strange, world.

There will be almost nothing in English.

In fact, many restaurants in the Thai areas don't even have menus. You are expected to order what you want. In Thai, of course.

The locals in those areas won't know what to do with you, so they will gently urge you to return to the foreigner areas.

And that's just fine with most of us here.

There is another angle on this, which many foreigners use with good results:

As soon as you arrive, start looking for a Thai woman who does speak some English, and who would be interested in "taking care" of you.

There are many available, in all ages and sizes.

She can be your guide for restaurants, shopping, finding a long-term place to stay, plus other entertainment, depending on your arrangement.

Of course, in one way or another, any Thai lady you select, will expect to be paid, but that's a different topic.

Blood Yamo
02-09-10, 10:11
Totally wrong information for the "Ed Visa" in Thailand.

I hope no one is making plans based on that "advice".

-One_To_Go

ChiangmaiI never said it was an education visa. The deal was, you help to teach Thais English and the university sponsers you, basicly and english teacher working for no pay.

It was not advise, just passing on some info.

Sprite13
02-11-10, 06:27
Thanks a bunch One To Go for the valuable tips.
For uni visa, I'd be mainly interested in a Thai course for foreigners, not to take a 3-4 year degree at a Uni.

Also, would be very helpful if you guys could post a sample example of living expenses in Thailand for things like accomodation, transportation, entertainment etc...

Thanks again.

One To Go
02-11-10, 13:48
I'd be mainly interested in a Thai course for foreigners, not to take a 3-4 year degree at a Uni.There are many, many, language schools. Teaching Thai to foreigners. In all the large, tourist/expat cities of Thailand.

Where I live, in the Northern city of Chiangmai, even the YMCA offers a Thai language course.

(Not very good: I'm not recommending it.)

You could spend countless hours on the Internet trying to research such schools, but it would be a waste of your time.

Schools come and go.

Schools change programs and prices.

Some schools provide wrong or mis-leading information on the Internet.

And most of the opinions you'd read are strongly "for" or strongly "against" particular schools.

Rarely do you find carefully reasoned opinions about language schools.

So, the only benefit of "finding" language schools on the Internet is finding their addresses.

Then, get over here, and go in person to various schools, to observe with your own eyes.

That is what I did during my first year in Thailand.

I enrolled in three different schools (in Bangkok at that time), and I went to visit two more.

The differences were vast: methods of teaching, overall organization of the curriculum, and the prices.

The only way to know is to go C.

Some universities offer short-term language classes for foreigners.

Terms range from one month to one year.

The university programs are among the more costly, and I have not been impressed with the results.

Bottom line:

Don't waste your time trying to find the "best" language school on the Internet.

Use the Internet just to find the addresses of the schools.

Then go to look for yourself.

One_To_Go

Chiangmai

One To Go
02-11-10, 14:08
Also, would be very helpful if you guys could post a sample example of living expenses in Thailand for things like accomodation, transportation, entertainment etc.That's a fair question, but a forum like this one, or any forum, is the last place to get reliable information about living expenses.

Why not?

Forums. All that I have ever seen. Are biased towards the Cheap Charlie's view of life.

If that's your view, may be just what you want.

But if you prefer modest comfort, or unlimited luxury, you will not find many "like minds" on any forum about Thailand.

Fortunately, there are web sites (not forums) and some excellent books with exactly the information needed to get ideas about living expenses in Thailand.

Google points the way to the helpful web sites.

Amazon has the books.

I can offer a rule of thumb based on 6 years of living in Thailand.

Before arriving here, I lived in modest comfort in Western Canada and the Western USA.

I won't go into details, except to say that I never lacked for anything I wanted, but my wants were not extravagant.

In Thailand, it was my aim to live at the same level of style and comfort.

My living accommodations here are at a similar standard.

Essentials, like insurance and clothing, also similar.

Entertainment; similar.

In other words, when moving to Thailand, I didn't go either up or down in standard of living compared to the way I was living in North America.

In Thailand I spend about 2/3 of what I was spending "back there". I hope that's helpful to others who are thinking about long-term living in Thailand

One_To_Go

Chiangmai

One To Go
02-11-10, 14:19
I never said it was an education visa. The deal was, you help to teach Thais English and the university sponsers you, basicly and english teacher working for no pay. It was not advise, just passing on some info.Wrong again.

Don't rely on that "info" for any plans to stay long-term in Thailand.

Any foreigner teaching here. Even volunteering for no pay. Must have a work permit from the government.

You don't need a "sponsor", you do need an "employer" who qualifies to get you that work permit.

Teaching without a work permit. Even for no pay. Is against the law here.

There's a lot of wrong-headed information on the Internet, especially about Thailand.

Please be careful.

The most reliable way to be careful is to engage a lawyer or visa service in Thailand.

I don't work here, but, like every foreigner on long-stay, I need a visa extension from the Immigration Police.

A good lawyer has handled that with comfort and peace-of-mind for me.

When it comes to the critical factor of your visa, I recommend that for others, too, rather than depending on "info" posted on forums.

One_To_Go

Chiangmai

One To Go
02-11-10, 14:53
Is Penegra and Kamagra still readily available in Thai Pharmacies? I asked a friend to pick me up some while in LOS and he was unable to find any.So easy. If that friend couldn't find in Thailand, it's time to change friends.

Yesterday morning I bought "Tadafil", 20 mg, (generic Cialis).

While doing errands, I happened to pass a pharmacy and just walked in and asked the cute girl behind the counter.

I'd never been into that pharmacy before; didn't know anyone there.

For those not familiar with Thailand, no prescription is needed.

Simply asked, and got what I asked for.

(Got a big smile from her, too.)

4-pack, "Forzest" brand, Ranbaxy Laboratories (India).

I paid 800 Thai baht for the pack of 4 tablets.

That was here in Chiangmai, but I have easily found such products at other pharmacies in Bangkok, Pattaya and Hua Hin. Major tourist cities.

Some of the larger, "chain" pharmacies don't stock, but in small, independent, pharmacies, in the tourist areas, most will have in-stock.

And, if, nearby there are a few bars. With bar-girls. You can be sure they will have plenty.

Note: Your pricing may vary.

I do speak Thai and I don't look dress a tourist.

If you don't speak Thai and you do dress like a tourist, expect to pay more, maybe as much as double what they charged me.

One_To_Go

Chiangmai

Blood Yamo
02-13-10, 14:18
So easy. If that friend couldn't find in Thailand, it's time to change friends.

Yesterday morning I bought "Tadafil", 20 mg, (generic Cialis).

While doing errands, I happened to pass a pharmacy and just walked in and asked the cute girl behind the counter.

I'd never been into that pharmacy before; didn't know anyone there.

For those not familiar with Thailand, no prescription is needed.

Simply asked, and got what I asked for.

(Got a big smile from her, too.)

4-pack, "Forzest" brand, Ranbaxy Laboratories (India).

I paid 800 Thai baht for the pack of 4 tablets.

That was here in Chiangmai, but I have easily found such products at other pharmacies in Bangkok, Pattaya and Hua Hin. Major tourist cities.

Some of the larger, "chain" pharmacies don't stock, but in small, independent, pharmacies, in the tourist areas, most will have in-stock.

And, if, nearby there are a few bars. With bar-girls. You can be sure they will have plenty.

Note: Your pricing may vary.

I do speak Thai and I don't look dress a tourist.

If you don't speak Thai and you do dress like a tourist, expect to pay more, maybe as much as double what they charged me.

One_To_Go

ChiangmaiHey, thanks for the info. That post was about 2 years old. I ended up going to chiang mai myself and had no problem finding it. Got the penegra for 300 bt per 4 pack. is that a fair price? seemed good to me but it is over twice what I pay in India.

Sharka
02-20-10, 03:22
Had an accident recently that resulted in having my 2 back molars taken out (one above and one below). Dentist recommended that I should get implants to replace my missing 2 teeth instead of the usual bridges.
Problem is my dental insurance with my job really sucks and don't pay for bridges or implants. Dentist said the implants will cost over $2500-3000 for EACH tooth!!!!

I've heard BKK had good dental hospitals that may rival the ones at home at a much lower price even with the cost of RT airfare and hotel cost. So thinking of traveling to BKK to have the work done and having a monger vacation while I'm there.

1) what is the best dental hospital in BKK or best dentist (office) for implants in BKK
2) any idea what an implant will cost
3) if I decide to do it in BKK, how would I get information about booking an appointment and finding out the final cost.
4) how many days would I need to stay in BKK for the procedure.

Anyone with prior experience or knowledge about implants or surgical dental procedures or recommendations can PM me or post info so I could get started. Hate not being able to chew my food well.

Thanks

Shark

One To Go
02-20-10, 11:47
. Thinking of traveling to BKK to have the work done and having a monger vacation while I'm there.Bangkok has many Western trained dentists.

Every private, general hospital has it's own dental clinic, so you can shop around.

(You don't want to go to a government hospital.)

And there are several clinics that cater for foreigners just like you, who come in for "medical tourism".

The better private hospitals will have English-speaking interpreters who will meet you at the front door, and guide you through every detail.

They will also arrange your hotel, if you wish, and will send a car and driver to meet you at the airport.

It's a great service. You're treated like a VIP.

In addition to the hospitals and clinics, there is one specifically dental hospital in Bangkok.

I've never been, so I can't comment, but here's the link:

http://dentalhospitalbangkok.com/

There is one thing I like about that dental hospital which may not be obvious at first glance: it is located in the middle of the Japanese area of Bangkok.

That's a good thing, because Japanese demand the best quality of service and the highest standard of cleanliness.

But, must be careful.

Coming from abroad, you'll have serious, serious jet lag.

And Bangkok is one of the most confusing, most chaotic cities in the world.

Then there's the language gap.

Going in for dental surgery will add more stress.

And if you are on a fixed schedule, you'll be under time pressure.

Plus, if you want to do some mongering, you're going to be adding even more stress, because you've never been here before, you don't know your way around, and you don't know how things "work".

So, go slowly, allow lots of time to sleep, and then slow down even more.

One_To_Go

Thai Ydiver
02-21-10, 14:34
I've never met anyone in Thailand who made money here except for teachers, and they make a horrible pittance.Well I and many of my friends have, and for sure we are not making pittances, it may even shock you that we all make at least make over Bt250k per month and more. And that is not even as Expats for foreign companies, but local ones!

May I ask where you are meeting these so called people not making any money, Nana, Cowboy?

One To Go
02-22-10, 10:38
Well I and many of my friends have, and for sure we are not making pittances. Where you are meeting these so called people not making any money, Nana, Cowboy?ThaiYdiver makes an excellent point about 'farangs' here.

In Thailand we have two, very different, classes of farangs.

And rarely do they ever cross paths.

Among farangs here, there is a very large separation between social classes.

The upper classes are aware of the lower, are embarrassed by their antics in the bars and on the beaches, and takes steps to avoid.

The lower class has no idea that the upper even exists here.

Plenty of farang here are making a good income, some a very good income, indeed.

We have farang doctors working here, university professors, and plenty of technical specialists, particularly in oil, computers, communications, and manufacturing.

They have normal careers at normal income levels, working for Thai companies.

Plus, there are a number of farang business owners here. Usually in technical fields. And also making good incomes.

But they are NOT likely to spend any time on Internet forums, or attend expat club meetings.

They will never be seen in Nana/Cowboy.

They are too busy with their lives.

When they do go out for entertainment, they will go to the better restaurants and resorts. Places never mentioned on forums or in guidebooks.

One_To_Go

Sharka
02-23-10, 01:37
But, must be careful.

Coming from abroad, you'll have serious, serious jet lag.

And Bangkok is one of the most confusing, most chaotic cities in the world.

Then there's the language gap.

Going in for dental surgery will add more stress.

And if you are on a fixed schedule, you'll be under time pressure.

Plus, if you want to do some mongering, you're going to be adding even more stress, because you've never been here before, you don't know your way around, and you don't know how things "work".

So, go slowly, allow lots of time to sleep, and then slow down even more.

One_To_Go

Not to worry, I've been to BKK many times so I do know the score, just never had to go for a dental procedure.

Pita123
02-23-10, 06:18
May I ask where you are meeting these so called people not making any money, Nana, Cowboy?Likely Beergarten.

One To Go
02-24-10, 06:58
Greetings Gentlemen,

With all due respect, I would very much appreciate it if you would not use my forum to publicly solicit or exchange information on how to find and/or use my competitor's website(s).

Thanks,

Jackson

Lala Bay
02-28-10, 22:37
Hello,

I'm in dire need of new suits and shirts and plan to schedule a few flights to Bangkok to get them made.

Could anyone provide me with up-to-date information on the best tailors?

Thanks a lot!

Fon Tok
03-01-10, 18:07
Hello, I'm in dire need of new suits and shirts and plan to schedule a few flights to Bangkok to get them made. Could anyone provide me with up-to-date information on the best tailors?

Try Milan Suit neat the Asoke BTS station

Opebo
03-01-10, 19:29
May I ask where you are meeting these so called people not making any money, Nana, Cowboy?

No, I never go to those places, or in fact to Bangkok at all, if possible. I mostly meet expats where they are - toiling at schools. Besides, expats typically cannot afford to visit Nana or Cowboy - those places are for big spending tourists.

I don't doubt that there are a few foriegn residents in Thailand with large incomes, but I'm also quite sure for every one with 250,000/month, there are a hundred with 35,000.

One Wing Low
03-01-10, 19:43
Dental implants by well-regarded US dental specialists go for $1800 to $2000 a piece. Volume discount is possible with more than 1 implants at the same time. Lower prices are also possible with certain less well-known dentists.

Proper treatments require multiple visits, stretching out may be over 2 months.

All dental works will only last a limited length of time. Quality works would last longer, depending also on how well you maintain them.

Dental implants require grafting cadaver bones into your jaw bone, to provide enough bone mass to secure the attachments. The grafts require time to heal. How well will the graft bond and how long it will stay in place without causing a lot of other health problems is something you need to research and consider carefully.

Good luck.

Had an accident recently that resulted in having my 2 back molars taken out (one above and one below). Dentist recommended that I should get implants to replace my missing 2 teeth instead of the usual bridges.
Problem is my dental insurance with my job really sucks and don't pay for bridges or implants. Dentist said the implants will cost over $2500-3000 for EACH tooth!!!!

I've heard BKK had good dental hospitals that may rival the ones at home at a much lower price even with the cost of RT airfare and hotel cost. So thinking of traveling to BKK to have the work done and having a monger vacation while I'm there.

1) what is the best dental hospital in BKK or best dentist (office) for implants in BKK
2) any idea what an implant will cost
3) if I decide to do it in BKK, how would I get information about booking an appointment and finding out the final cost.
4) how many days would I need to stay in BKK for the procedure.

Anyone with prior experience or knowledge about implants or surgical dental procedures or recommendations can PM me or post info so I could get started. Hate not being able to chew my food well.

Thanks

Shark

Pita123
03-01-10, 23:34
No, I never go to those places, or in fact to Bangkok at all, if possible. I mostly meet expats where they are - toiling at schools. Besides, expats typically cannot afford to visit Nana or Cowboy - those places are for big spending tourists.

I don't doubt that there are a few foriegn residents in Thailand with large incomes, but I'm also quite sure for every one with 250,000/month, there are a hundred with 35,000.

You are probably right. But nobody is forcing them to toil for 35,000 baht a month. To each his own.

Member #3428
03-01-10, 23:53
You are probably right. But nobody is forcing them to toil for 35,000 baht a month. To each his own.

Nope but for a lot of those people making 35 K and toiling around isaan have a better quality of life then the dumb ass tourists with large income do.

Opebo often talks about the side of Thai (and I know a lot of folks like this in China and Manila also) life that we do not experience or know about and many times, I'm often envious...

Pita123
03-02-10, 06:07
Nope but for a lot of those people making 35 K and toiling around isaan have a better quality of life then the dumb ass tourists with large income do.

While I agree, when Opebo uses the word 'toiling' he is making a point that their lives are hard. If that is how he and they feel, they can do something to change it.

Opebo
03-02-10, 12:50

Well, yes, dire necessity forces us to so toil, Pita.

While I agree, when Opebo uses the word 'toiling' he is making a point that their lives are hard. If that is how he and they feel, they can do something to change it.

No, we can't. We're lucky to be allowed even this subsistence. Have you noticed that nearly all the earth's population are trapped in this same way?

Opebo
03-02-10, 12:52

Opebo often talks about the side of Thai (and I know a lot of folks like this in China and Manila also) life that we do not experience or know about and many times, I'm often envious...

Good points, Tansak. Alas even I, master of quaint frugality, spend about 50,000/month, making the rest up begging from home. Not a long term tenable situation of course, but what can you do? Making 50-60,ooo a month in Thailand is just not possible (at least while still having reasonable leisure).

Pita123
03-03-10, 00:39
Good points, Tansak. Alas even I, master of quaint frugality, spend about 50,000/month, making the rest up begging from home. Not a long term tenable situation of course, but what can you do? Making 50-60,ooo a month in Thailand is just not possible (at least while still having reasonable leisure).
Not possible for you, perhaps. But why not? What holds you back?

NicFrenchy
03-06-10, 06:38
life that we do not experience or know about and many times, I'm often envious...

What life? living in a wooden hut with no electricity, eating roots, sucking on ice cubes and shitting in a hole at the back of the garden?

I am not sure what it is exactly you are envious about

Opebo
03-07-10, 15:51
What life? living in a wooden hut with no electricity, eating roots, sucking on ice cubes and shitting in a hole at the back of the garden

Perhaps you have never been to Isaan, but most of us live in ordinary modern cities, filled with rather stylish restaurants, bars, and even a few clubs (though admittedly the last are in short supply - the only really 'cool' ones I've seen are in Khon Kaen).

Living in a middle to large size Isaan city is no 'less modern' than living in an ordinary american city. Sure, that's not like living in Paris or London or New York, but life in Issan cities does not involve any of the conditions you describe. I realize some gentlemen choose to live in the villages, but there is a lot more to Isaan than that.

Oh, now that that's out of the way, I have a mundane question relating to internet in Thailand:

Why can I view flash movies from some porn web sites successfully, but from the best one (youporn), the video comes out slow and herky-jerky if you see what I mean. Like lots of little pauses. It wasn't this way a few weeks ago, but recently it developed this problem. Do you guys think it is my computer or some aspect about Thai internet?

NicFrenchy
03-08-10, 16:41
Living in a middle to large size Isaan city is no 'less modern' than living in an ordinary american city. Sure, that's not like living in Paris or London or New York, but life in Issan cities does not involve any of the conditions you describe. I realize some gentlemen choose to live in the villages, but there is a lot more to Isaan than that.

Thanks for clarifying, I have never been to Issan, no and don't really plan to

Oh, now that that's out of the way, I have a mundane question relating to internet in Thailand:

Why can I view flash movies from some porn web sites successfully, but from the best one (youporn), the video comes out slow and herky-jerky if you see what I mean. Like lots of little pauses. It wasn't this way a few weeks ago, but recently it developed this problem. Do you guys think it is my computer or some aspect about Thai internet?

Forget youporn, it's really crap. Why not download the full Torrent movies or episodes in HD? the quality is really good :)

Opebo
03-09-10, 09:17
Forget youporn, it's really crap. Why not download the full Torrent movies or episodes in HD? the quality is really good :)

No idea how to do that, but thanks for the suggestion.

Goyave
03-09-10, 10:14

Check pureTnA: http://www.puretna.com/
It's probably the best source for downloading porn movies.

You will need a Bittorrent client (read pureTnA's FAQ section), such as µtorrent: http://www.utorrent.com/ (for instance).

Piper1
03-09-10, 15:04
1. Download and install bitcomet from bitcomet.com (takes 30 seconds)

2. Go to left pane of bitcomet and click on one of the 12 "torrent" sites (eg piratebay, mininova etc - these host movies of all types)

3. Enter a search term in the search pane, just like youtube

4. Use it for good, not for evil (e.g., try: National Geographic salmon migration)

PS - kidding aside - why bother with porn when the real thing is in limitless easy supply?

Goyave
03-09-10, 16:27
1. Download and install bitcomet from bitcomet.com ...

BitComet is not a recommended client as it is banned by several major sites.

http://www.puretna.com/docs/index.php/FAQ2#stats3

We ONLY support uTorrent, Azureus/Vuse, BitTornado, & Deluge, many other clients have been known to cause various problems, including but not limited to, bad stats & passkey leaks, such clients have been responsible for many people getting banned.

So, it is better (IMHO) to use a client that won't get you banned from what is probably the best source of porn movies.

Opebo
03-09-10, 18:50
PS - kidding aside - why bother with porn when the real thing is in limitless easy supply?

I should've thought it was obvious - a limited budget. I can only afford to get laid about a dozen to 15 times a month.. and there are 30 days.

Nvslim
03-10-10, 10:57
I should've thought it was obvious - a limited budget. I can only afford to get laid about a dozen to 15 times a month.. and there are 30 days.

Some times porn hits the spot.

But there are consequences.

Slim

Opebo
03-11-10, 19:35
Can anyone else confirm if youporn dot com is blocked or not blocked? I just opened it from my girlfriend's house not an hour ago but now its blocked from another location. I get the usual Thai phrase you see when sites are blocked:

ขออภัย ทางสำนักงานตำรวจแห่งชาติขอระงับการเชื่อมต่อมาที่เวบไซต์นี้
เนื่องจากมีรูปภาพ หรือข้อความที่ไม่เหมาะสม เช่น ลามกอนาจาร การพนัน

Translated by Google:

Sorry, the National Police have suspended the connection to this web site.
With photos. Or inappropriate messages such raunchy gambling.

So I don't think its just the IP, it seems like the government blocking it. I'm just amazed it would be blocked in the last hour suddenly.

Goyave
03-11-10, 20:11
Can anyone else confirm if youporn dot com is blocked or not blocked? ...

YouPorn is not blocked from my place in Northeastern Thailand. Maybe it is blocked by certain ISPs, and not by others.

NicFrenchy
03-12-10, 12:01
It is blocked in BKK

Maybe too many people jerk off to Youporn and don't finance the MPs and Bars anymore...

Opebo
03-18-10, 19:27
Check pureTnA: http://www.puretna.com/
It's probably the best source for downloading porn movies.

You will need a Bittorrent client (read pureTnA's FAQ section), such as µtorrent: http://www.utorrent.com/ (for instance).

Thanks.. tried these but they don't work. I downloaded the 'client', and then clicked to download porns from the pureTnA, but nothing downloads - just sits at zero on 'percent downloaded' on the torrent thingy, and they are 'inactive'.

Goyave
03-19-10, 06:23
Thanks.. tried these but they don't work. I downloaded the 'client', and then clicked to download porns from the pureTnA, but nothing downloads - just sits at zero on 'percent downloaded' on the torrent thingy, and they are 'inactive'.

Try to download one of the top torrents (one of the most active or best seeded torrents): http://www.puretna.com/top_torrents.php

If you still can not download anything, read their FAQ section here: http://www.puretna.com/docs/index.php?pagename=FAQ

You might have to force encryption in your torrent client settings (in µTorrent: Options -> Preferences -> BitTorrent -> Protocol Encryption - Outgoing: FORCED).

If you still cannot download anything, visit the "Help & Support" section in their forums.

It's currently working (I'm downloading one of the top torrent at the moment just to be sure there is not a problem with their tracker), so, the problem is certainly on your side or you've selected torrents that are actually inactive at the moment.

Ern123
03-31-10, 05:19
Posted this before in the general section, but didn't get any response. Maybe some one here can help me.

Hello,

Maybe someone on this forum can enlighten me on this subject;

I am a Swedish citizen, working as an officer on a ship. That means roughly I work for 10 weeks, then I am off 10 weeks. I like to move to Bangkok coming summer, but the new visa rules, makes me question if it is possible or not.

It is my understanding, that when I arrive to Thailand after a working period, I get 30 days "visa on arrival". I can extend this visa 2 times, each time for 2 weeks by making border runs.

But what about after that? I still have 2 weeks to go before I start working again, and one website they said I have to stay out of Thailand for 3 months, after I do the extensions. That will seriously destroy all plans of moving to Thailand.

Many people on this forum seem to live and work in Thailand, so how do you do it? I am not 55 yet(no senior visa) and I do not want to marry a thaigirl, at least not for a long time. What options do I have?

Any response would be greatly appreciated.

See ya around!

Goyave
03-31-10, 11:41
... I am not 55 yet(no senior visa) and I do not want to marry a thaigirl, at least not for a long time. What options do I have? ...

Thailand still offers free Tourist visas, so, it might be a temporary solution in your case: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Free-Visa-US10-000-Riot-Insurance-t343775.html

At certain Thai Consulates or with the Consular Services at certain Thai Embassies, you can get a free double-entry Tourist visa (for instance, at Vientiane, Laos), and with extensions (that you can request at a Thai Immigration Office), it allows you to stay almost 6 months (with two extensions and you will have to cross the border twice in the meanwhile) in the Land of Smiles. You should be allowed to do this more than once, but not indefinitely.

If you want to stay for a longer period (and don't want to marry a Thai girl, etc.), then, you might consider getting an Education visa.

ThaiVisa.com (http://www.thaivisa.com/) and its forums are probably the best sources for this kind of information.

Barney Rubber
04-17-10, 07:57
A quick question for anyone here that has married a Thai woman.

After my last divorce (in the States) my attorney told me NOT to get married again without a Pre-Nup! Whether your marriage has been successful or not. Do you think it is better to get married in Thailand with a Pre-Nup or back in the states? If things continue to work out with this Thai woman I am with I might consider marriage in another year but want to take the right road in case things do go bad!

Thanks for your advise/opinions.

LittleBigMan
04-19-10, 14:06
B.R,

I rather give you advice through P.M. for your own sake but I was unable!

LBM

Fon Tok
04-19-10, 15:46
Posted this before in the general section, but didn't get any response. Maybe some one here can help me...Hello, Maybe someone on this forum can enlighten me on this subject...I am a Swedish citizen, working as an officer on a ship. That means roughly I work for 10 weeks, then I am off 10 weeks. I like to move to Bangkok coming summer, but the new visa rules, makes me question if it is possible or not....It is my understanding, that when I arrive to Thailand after a working period, I get 30 days "visa on arrival". I can extend this visa 2 times, each time for 2 weeks by making border runs...But what about after that? I still have 2 weeks to go before I start working again, and one website they said I have to stay out of Thailand for 3 months, after I do the extensions. That will seriously destroy all plans of moving to Thailand....Many people on this forum seem to live and work in Thailand, so how do you do it? I am not 55 yet(no senior visa) and I do not want to marry a thaigirl, at least not for a long time. What options do I have?

Any response would be greatly appreciated. See ya around!You can obtain a 'muliple enty' retirement visa (for age 50+) from either the Thai consulate in your home country, or in Thailand if you are here on a 30-day entry permit. You will have to fulfill certain documentation requirements (proof of income or money in a bank, health certificate, criminal background report, application, photos), and pay a fee. This will allow you to come and go for a year without any hassles. It can be renewed in Thailand for an additional year annually. If you are in Thailand, since you are working, you would just need an affidavit (official letter) from your embassy authenticating your income.

The whole process is not that hard to do, it allows a lot of flexibility, and is cost effective for those who travel out of TH a lot.

Here's the full juice:

Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay) Extension

This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working.

Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 1 year. Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.

1. Eligibility

1.1 Applicant must be aged 50 years and over (on the day of submitting application).

1.2 Applicant not prohibited from entering the Kingdom as provided by the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979).

1.3 Having no criminal record in Thailand and the country of the applicant’s nationality or residence.

1.4 Having the nationality of or residence in the country where applicant’s application is submitted.

1.5 Not having prohibitive diseases ( Leprosy, Tuberculosis, drug addiction, Elephantiasis, third phase of Syphilis) as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 B.E. 2535.

2. Required Documents

- Passport with validity of not less than 18 months.

- 3 copies of completed visa application forms.

- 3 passport-sized photos (4 x 6 cm) of the applicant taken within the past six

months.

- A personal data form.

-A copy of bank statement showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthly income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht.

- In the case of submitting a bank statement, a letter of guarantee from the bank (an original copy) is required.

- A letter of verification issued from the country of his or her nationality or residence stating that the applicant has no criminal record (verification shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notarised by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission).

- A medical certificate issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) (certificate shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notarised by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission).

- In the case where the accompanying spouse is not eligible to apply for the Category ‘O-A’ (Long Stay) visa, he or she will be considered for temporary stay under Category ‘O’ visa. A marriage certificate must be provided as evidence and should be notarised by notary organs or by the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission.

3. Channels to submit application

Applicant may submit their application at the Royal Thai embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General in their home/residence country or at the Office of the Immigration Bureau in Thailand (see: http://www.scribd.com/doc/19468320/Bangkok-Thailand-Immigration-Office-Location). Or applicant must submit their application at their local Immigration office.

4. Visa fee

2,000 Baht for single entry
5,000 Baht for multiple entries

5. Recommendations for foreigners with Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay) while staying in the Kingdom

5.1 Upon arrival, holder of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for 1 year from the date of first entry. During the one-year period, if he or she wishes to leave and re-enter the country, he or she is required to apply at the Immigration office for re-entry permit (single or multiple) before departure. In the case of leaving the country without a re-entry permit, the permit to stay for 1 year shall be considered void.

5.2 At the end of the 90-day stay , the foreigner must report to the immigration officer in his or her residence area and report again every 90 days during his or her stay in Thailand. The foreigner may report to the police station if there is no immigration office in his or her residence area.

5.3 Foreigner may report to the competent authority by post and should provide the following:

- A report form (Tor Mor 47).

- A copy of passport pages showing the foreigner’s photo, personal details, and the latest arrival visa stamp.

- A copy of the previous receipt of acknowledgement.

- A self-addressed envelope with postage affixed.

Such documents must be sent to the Office of the Immigration Bureau (see: http://www.scribd.com/doc/19468320/Bangkok-Thailand-Immigration-Office-Location), and must be submitted 7 days before the end of every 90-day period. A receipt of acknowledgement will be given and should be used for future correspondence.

5.4 Foreigner who wishes to extend his or her stay shall submit a request for extension of stay at the Office of the Immigration Bureau with documented evidence of money transfer or a deposit account in Thailand or an income certificate showing an amount of not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate plus a deposit account showing a total amount of not less than 800,000 Baht. A one-year extension of stay shall be granted at the discretion of the immigration officer to the foreigner as long as he or she meets the above requirements.

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2493

Mai Yao
04-19-10, 17:51
ERN123, just go to any Thai consulate in any country you visit during your travels prior to your time off. Get a double entry (60 days+60 days with an "Out & In") tourist visa.
Currently free at most consulates.

Ern123
04-20-10, 07:38
Thanks for all visa information you have shared. Very useful. I will probably go with the double entry visa at first and see how things develop.

Thanks again!

LittleBigMan
04-20-10, 17:27
Er123,

All the information Fon Tok gave you is correct. But if you do it in Thailand particularly in Pattaya. You will not need the medical certificate, police record, the rule of thumb is depending how Immigration feels that day and who is looking at your forms. Your money must be in the bank sitting 3 months before you apply and 3 month after. The letter from the Bank must be within 3 days of your applying. The requirement is 800, 000 baht in the bank or 65, 000 baht in income (like a pension) which comes out to 800, 000 baht per year. You are suppose to be allow a combination like 400, 000 baht in the bank and at least 400, 000 in income (pension). But like many things in Thailand what suppose to be isn't always the case and like a box of chocolate at Immigration you just don't know what your are going to get? Or who has a hair up their ass that day! I tell first timers to have it all 800, 000 baht and 65, 000 plus in income. (Certification from your Embassy) The second and proceeding years they don't seem to care much.

Cost. The when I did mines in Feb.

1030 baht to the US Embassy

100 baht to Bank of Bangkok for letter for verification of Bank Acct.

1900 Baht for application for Retirement Visa

3800 Baht for Multi-Entry

LBM

Barney Rubber
04-27-10, 14:34
B.R,

I rather give you advice through P.M. for your own sake but I was unable!

LBMI do not know anything about pm but did some other research. Word has it to marry in Thailand and do pre-nup here. Keep assets in home country! Also do a Pre-Nup in Thailand and include whatever you want as far as restrictions. But restrictions would not apply to children. In other words if you had a baby together you could not state that you would not give child support or be responsible for only 25%. Child support restrictions are "off-limits" per Thai law which is fair if you wish to have children.

Any other comments are welcome.

One thing to add to the other previous posts regarding "Bank Account Requirements." If you can show income (ie. retirement income) the bank account restriction would be lower or non-existent. I know this from personal experience. True!

NicFrenchy
05-19-10, 13:21
want my advice? don't marry a Thai girl, period

Amjeck
05-19-10, 14:55
want my advice? don't marry a Thai girl, period
Couldn't agree more. Also, never invest anything in Thailand: money, emotions, hope, etc. The only 2 things you should ever give a thai is money and/or sperm!

Horatio
05-26-10, 20:46
What is the downside to me teaching English in Thailand? I am a serious person and would try to do a good job. I have enough money that I would only need to meet my expenses there. I could spend a little more if I had to. I do construction work in the US, but there cant find a job. Would a job in Thailand be a good way to spend a year? Again I would want to do a good job. I just would like a bit of an adventure. Also is the government there stable enough?

Thanks

Finrod
05-27-10, 05:18
What is the downside to me teaching English in Thailand? I am a serious person and would try to do a good job. I have enough money that I would only need to meet my expenses there. I could spend a little more if I had to. I do construction work in the US, but there cant find a job. Would a job in Thailand be a good way to spend a year? Again I would want to do a good job. I just would like a bit of an adventure. Also is the government there stable enough?

Thanks
Try the forums at ajarn.com or Dave's ESL Cafe. Google for either of them.

NicFrenchy
05-27-10, 07:15
What is the downside to me teaching English in Thailand?

In my opinion, it's not worth the hassle for the 10,000 thb they'll pay you. You're better off just coming to Thailand for a 6 months Holiday.

Lord Farquard
05-29-10, 23:58
Posted this before in the general section, but didn't get any response. Maybe some one here can help me.

Hello,

Maybe someone on this forum can enlighten me on this subject;

I am a Swedish citizen, working as an officer on a ship. That means roughly I work for 10 weeks, then I am off 10 weeks. I like to move to Bangkok coming summer, but the new visa rules, makes me question if it is possible or not.

It is my understanding, that when I arrive to Thailand after a working period, I get 30 days "visa on arrival". I can extend this visa 2 times, each time for 2 weeks by making border runs.

But what about after that? I still have 2 weeks to go before I start working again, and one website they said I have to stay out of Thailand for 3 months, after I do the extensions. That will seriously destroy all plans of moving to Thailand.

Many people on this forum seem to live and work in Thailand, so how do you do it? I am not 55 yet(no senior visa) and I do not want to marry a thaigirl, at least not for a long time. What options do I have?

Any response would be greatly appreciated.

See ya around!

You may stay in Thai for thirty days on your first visa. Then you may stay 15 more days the second time around. You may only stay 45 days out of 90. I had an officer at imigration count all the stamps on my passport one day just to make sure that I qualified.
Now that is what they told me at immigration, so go figure.

Doublebogey
06-05-10, 01:11
want my advice? don't marry a Thai girl, periodI am not judging what you say, as I tend to belive you got too be out of your blazing mind to marry any girl in the States or elsewhere--- learned the hard way after three atempts myself..

but to be honest I am usually at least half of the problems if not 90 % of them in the marriages. I have found that mostly as long as you dont let them tie your cock in a not then you usually can find a way out without to much hassell....are Thais that much different?

I am not asking this sarcastically either, I am not that experienced in Thais ans would like to know if there is a real problem. I have been with Philipinos , Whites, Spanish , Korean, and Black woman

my experience-- well for the black woman listen to M Jagger - yes they want to fuck all night and tend to think everyone is looking at us funny me being white,,, but dammmmm its fun.

Philipinos - fun for a few minutes, but for some reason tired of them, and kind of a feeling from them that they are deserved of being able to cheat and steal as long as they are nice,,,just my opinion

whites - like any other some good some bad as long as they wash their twat, I just cant stand the ones that think they are the only twat in the world.

Koreans - fun, fuck, suck, good in bed,, but motherfuckers if you let them. *****, complain, and drive you insane,,, but the best relationship I have ever had was with a Korean so go figure...

Had fun there in LOS a couple times, but not real experienced on relationships with them...

peace

Sprite13
06-22-10, 02:47
You're better off just coming to Thailand for a 6 months Holiday.

Salut Nic, Fellow Frenchy in here, but will post in this English in respect to the board.
If I wanted to come to Thailand for a 6 months holiday, what are my options visa wise?
Also, not only to you Nick but also all the pros/experts in here:
I have an option of staying say 3-4 months starting from end of August to late Dec 2010-early Jan 2011 in one of these 3 cities, which would be the best option in terms of good nightlife, good weather, good and varied selection of activities to indulge in during the day and cultural aspect, as well as safe and where I could live comfortably with US$3-5K per month.
The 3 cities in question are: Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Phuket.
About me to help with the answer: 30 years old, Brasil expert as I always go there for both fun and business, first time in Thailand/Asia and of course, no Thai language skills.

Would appreciate all your constructive and helpful feedback/tips/suggestions etc...

Cheers.

Silent Bob
06-23-10, 22:32
Hi Gentlemen,

After finishing a meeting with our CEO tonight I'm a little bit in trouble. He want's me to relocate to Bangkok (actual asap). So I'd like to start a little bit of research while I'm now in Bangkok.

In particular I'm really interested in the cost for housing. What area would you guys recommend. I'm looking for a 3 Bedroom flat. What would e the cost.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Silent Bob

Dinghy
06-23-10, 22:59
good thing too, sprite - they delete non English posts

You COULD try Pattaya for lower prices - $3k/month is quite "do-able" since an apartment can be had for probably B 6500/month <- thaqt's BAHT/month (a good one, but not too close to the action out toward 3rd Road between South and Central) GET A MOTO TO GO WITH IT (and learn to drive on the LEFT side of the road) :)

Goyave
06-24-10, 17:28
... If I wanted to come to Thailand for a 6 months holiday, what are my options visa wise?

You can get a double-entry tourist visa. It allows you to stay at least 120 days in Thailand (2 x 60 days), and even more with extensions. In Vientiane (Laos) and in several Thai Royal Consulates or Thai Embassies (Consular Services), you can even get another free double-entry tourist visa (at least till March 31, 2011) after the first one has been used.

El Greco
06-24-10, 19:10
Salut Nic, Fellow Frenchy in here, but will post in this English in respect to the board.
If I wanted to come to Thailand for a 6 months holiday, what are my options visa wise?
Also, not only to you Nick but also all the pros/experts in here:
I have an option of staying say 3-4 months starting from end of August to late Dec 2010-early Jan 2011 in one of these 3 cities, which would be the best option in terms of good nightlife, good weather, good and varied selection of activities to indulge in during the day and cultural aspect, as well as safe and where I could live comfortably with US$3-5K per month.
The 3 cities in question are: Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Phuket.
About me to help with the answer: 30 years old, Brasil expert as I always go there for both fun and business, first time in Thailand/Asia and of course, no Thai language skills.

Would appreciate all your constructive and helpful feedback/tips/suggestions etc...

Cheers.

IMHO Bangkok, Phuket, Chiang Mai in that order

Bangkok being a big poluted city with no beach around make sure that you stay in some place with swimming pool so you can spend a couple of hours every day there.

In your place I would stay 3-4 weeks in Phuket and a week in CM. Also some long weekends to Pattaya. Domestic airfares are cheap if you book ahead.
www.airasia.com

Taxi to Pattaya about 1.000 Baht 1:45 hrs
Flying to other countries around Thailand for visa run is very easy and cheap as well on airasia.

Meu dois centavos amigo.

Sprite13
06-28-10, 07:13
Thanks guys for your tips/suggestions and helpful answers, very much appreciated.

El Greco,
Since you're familiar with both Thailand and Brasil, how would you compare the 2 in terms of overall fun, girls and all?

Valeu amigo.

Opebo
06-30-10, 21:06
Just the other day I had it in mind to have a Radler (or Shandy) as I played in the internet cafe. I rarely drink, so I need it to be diluted somewhat. So at 7-11 I collected a 7-Up and a Leo in can format, and a largish plastic cup. Of course, they would not sell me the plastic cup - it was designated as a drink cup, and any loss of same would mean the employees were stealing from the man! The cup was a mechanism of control rather than an item for pleasing the customer.

I literally could not get a Shandy - I tried also at Family Mart, where they offered to sell me the cup for 24 baht. Alas there were no small marts anywhere within half a kilometer, still owned by real people. So I had to just do without. There's Capitalism for you. Choice, lots of Choice.

Daddy07
07-01-10, 00:49
... There's Capitalism for you. Choice, lots of Choice.
Yeah ... but with socialism you'd have been shot for just asking ...

El Greco
07-01-10, 06:55
Thanks guys for your tips/suggestions and helpful answers, very much appreciated.

El Greco,
Since you're familiar with both Thailand and Brasil, how would you compare the 2 in terms of overall fun, girls and all?

Valeu amigo.

I prefer latinas much more over asian women. In that sense Brasil wins for me. I love to be in a Rio Terma where you can have a party atmosphere with a hundred semi naked women all available and ready to give you a great time for a fee. The same fee, No negotiations etc. The sex is very intense with Brasileirinhas because they simply love it. If you click with them you have the time of your life. In Thailand you simply can not understand them due to totally different culture.

In Thailand there are too many girls available and many more places to monger. Apart from the very pros they are a little pathetic in the sex department compared to the Brasilians. It is nice in the beginning though to be the master of the game. In Pattaya the concentration of bars and WG is unbelievable. What I like most in Thailand are the soapies. I love being in a bathtub with a woman where the foreplay starts. Rooms there are very nice and clean and you leave with a great smile in your face after a couple of hours in there.

I also love their massage (you can have it every where) and food. Too many nice girls in Thailand but for me they all look like monkeys now after being there for over 200 times.

Brasil has become expensive lately. Thailand is much cheaper with much better quality especially in accomodation.

Finally I am visiting both countries because I can not decide which one is better. I think I will never do. I always say that if someone could compine the Thai soapies with the Rio termas on a Greek island that would be the perfect place to live.

I hope it helps.

Opebo
07-03-10, 19:34
...gave the driver 10 baht and started to eave. He didn't say anything to me. Two Russian girls who were tourists also got out. He tried to charge them 20 baht. I yelled at them it was only 10 baht. This guy goes crazy with the yelling at me. I think the girls ended up giving 10 baht each.

I've lived in Thailand so long I have to say I do sympathize rather more with the driver's way of looking at things than yours on this one. Of course its of dubious rationale to stick your neck out anywhere in the world, but here it is going to be greatly resented. I'm sure the driver was outraged that you wished to harm him though you gained no benefit out of it - just seemed irrational and pure spite in his eyes.

I never tell strangers when their being cheated - the most I'll do is raise my eyebrows superciliously at the nearest Thai who's also enjoying the show.

Terry Terrier
07-03-10, 22:51
...gave the driver 10 baht and started to eave. He didn't say anything to me. Two Russian girls who were tourists also got out. He tried to charge them 20 baht. I yelled at them it was only 10 baht. This guy goes crazy with the yelling at me. I think the girls ended up giving 10 baht each.

I've lived in Thailand so long I have to say I do sympathize rather more with the driver's way of looking at things than yours on this one. Of course its of dubious rationale to stick your neck out anywhere in the world, but here it is going to be greatly resented. I'm sure the driver was outraged that you wished to harm him though you gained no benefit out of it - just seemed irrational and pure spite in his eyes.

I never tell strangers when their being cheated - the most I'll do is raise my eyebrows superciliously at the nearest Thai who's also enjoying the show.

Well done Mackin.

Opebo, I enjoy your honest reports (and I suspect many who don't like to admit to it do so also). But you are showing yourself up to be almost as big a wimp as Mick Licker (or whatever he's calling himself these days) with this pathetic behaviour.

Black Shirt
07-04-10, 06:07
I prefer latinas much more over asian women. In that sense Brasil wins for me. I love to be in a Rio Terma where you can have a party atmosphere with a hundred semi naked women all available and ready to give you a great time for a fee. The same fee, No negotiations etc. The sex is very intense with Brasileirinhas because they simply love it. If you click with them you have the time of your life. In Thailand you simply can not understand them due to totally different culture.

In Thailand there are too many girls available and many more places to monger. Apart from the very pros they are a little pathetic in the sex department compared to the Brasilians. It is nice in the beginning though to be the master of the game. In Pattaya the concentration of bars and WG is unbelievable. What I like most in Thailand are the soapies. I love being in a bathtub with a woman where the foreplay starts. Rooms there are very nice and clean and you leave with a great smile in your face after a couple of hours in there.

I also love their massage (you can have it every where) and food. Too many nice girls in Thailand but for me they all look like monkeys now after being there for over 200 times.

Brasil has become expensive lately. Thailand is much cheaper with much better quality especially in accomodation.

Finally I am visiting both countries because I can not decide which one is better. I think I will never do. I always say that if someone could compine the Thai soapies with the Rio termas on a Greek island that would be the perfect place to live.

I hope it helps.So they look like monkeys, eh! And you are Tarzan, right!

Sonic
07-04-10, 22:04
Hi Gentlemen,

After finishing a meeting with our CEO tonight I'm a little bit in trouble. He want's me to relocate to Bangkok (actual asap). So I'd like to start a little bit of research while I'm now in Bangkok.

In particular I'm really interested in the cost for housing. What area would you guys recommend. I'm looking for a 3 Bedroom flat. What would e the cost.

Many thanks in advance

Silent BobBangkok accommodation ranges from real high end luxury to incredibly basic. The price range is crazy depending on your requirements and the location.

What's your budget?

Pita123
07-04-10, 22:12
Hi Gentlemen,

Many thanks in advance

Silent Bob

15-80K baht per month. Too many variables to give you a more specific answer. What area? What level of apt?

Anyway, I'm just jealous. Introduce me to your CEO please. ;)

Silent Bob
07-06-10, 10:46
Bangkok accommodation ranges from real high end luxury to incredibly basic. The price range is crazy depending on your requirements and the location.

What's your budget?I need a 2-3 bedroom apartment, location I'm not sure. Some of the expat colleagues are living in the Sukhumvit Road area. I'm used to Dubai rent's so my budget of 2.000 - 2.500 € might be a little bit on the higher side.

@Pita123 Believe me, you don't want to join a company which is in a total mess. Restructuring is not funny.

Many thx for your help !

Sprite13
07-07-10, 06:25
Thanks yet again for your detailed answer. I kind of agree with what you wrote and hence the reason I have yet to make it to Asia as I much prefer the curvy latina/Brasileira with a bundinha to die for. From the videos I have seen, Thais and Asian women are on the short if not almost teeny weeny type body wise. Is this correct or way off?

Plus the extremely different culture and language in Thailand/Asia makes it even more difficult. I speak fluent Portuguese so Brasil feels very much like home to me. In fact, the place I feel most at home is Brasil. But I do want some variety and after observing and reading the Thailand threads as a spectactor for so long, I believe the time has come to finally make it to Thailand and Asia. I'll see how it goes. Hopefully I won't be too dissapointed and feeling too out of my context and overfilled with saudades of my beloved brasileiras.

Hey, I like your idea of a combining the Thai soapies with the Rio termas on a Greek island that would be the perfect place to live. This would be a Billion if not Trillion Euro business. Why don't you make that happen amigo? :)

Cheers.

I hope it helps.

Dickhead
07-07-10, 06:34
If you like the Latina bunda model but are Asian curious, I might recommend Macau. You got some Portuguese/Chinese mixes there that have a lot of bunda. I have fucked around 600-700 hookers and one of the two I fucked in Macao was in the top five for looks. Nowhere near that in performance though. It is a bit more expensive than Thailand but not hideously so.

NicFrenchy
07-10-10, 07:53
Well done Mackin.

Opebo, I enjoy your honest reports (and I suspect many who don't like to admit to it do so also). But you are showing yourself up to be almost as big a wimp as Mick Licker (or whatever he's calling himself these days) with this pathetic behaviour.

Nonsense. In my eyes it has nothing to do with good vs bad behavior. MAckin was a fool for interfering over a $2 transaction that could have put his safety in jeopardy.

NEVER fuck with the LOCALS and their business!! in Thailand, to some degree, this can get you killed, period. Wimp? yeah but alive

Amjeck
07-13-10, 15:50
NEVER fuck with the LOCALS and their business!!
Wise words!

Opebo
07-13-10, 17:18
If you like the Latina bunda model but are Asian curious...

You know I just had a nice little 20 year old at a Soapy in Khon Kaen who reminded me a lot of a Latina. She was short, alas, but had a big firm ass with slim waist and smallish breasts (a type I've seen in Latinas in the US many times). By the way, is there a slang for that kind of doggie style when the girl's big ass just rocks on your dick? Like she's more slinging it up and down than moving her body back and forth, as a slimmer girl might tend to. Even as one who prefers slim girls, I can say that's pretty wonderful.

Anyway, she seemed very horny and sensual, and gave fantastic service including a passionate BJ. Now I'm not claiming she was as horny or as good as sucking as a Latina, just that she was more that way than the average Thai girl, and quite satisfactory. 1,500 including the 300 baht tip for special services.

Mackin
07-13-10, 20:22
Not to be argue with anyone but i was told by the hotel never give more than 10 baht for the baht bus ride.. I just passed along the info.. All the other times I was riding the bus I paid 10 baht and nothing was said..

As far as danger I agree in a general way. But in the middle of the afternoon on the 2nd road with lots of people and traffic going buy I didn't feel any danger was present. If I had I wouldn't have said anything. I don't usually involve myself in other peoples business ,,,,,,,but I don't like it when someone is getting screwed on purpose right in front of me. Let leave it at that.!

Chemist Dude
07-18-10, 22:19
I have been approached by a major corporation to see if I would be interested in taking charge of their research and development division based in Bangkok. I have been to Bangkok a few times and have enjoyed the ladies, but I am not sure if living there 365 days a year is worth it? I really like the idea because of all the beautiful young ladies, but I know that cannot go on every day and will have to deal with living there. I am single, no children, and 50 years old. But I am concerned that I might just be thinking to much with my little head and don't want to regret making the move. What sort of things should I consider while exploring this oppotunity?

Chemist Dude

LittleBigMan
07-19-10, 15:21
I have been approached by a major corporation to see if I would be interested in taking charge of their research and development division based in Bangkok. I have been to Bangkok a few times and have enjoyed the ladies, but I am not sure if living there 365 days a year is worth it? I really like the idea because of all the beautiful young ladies, but I know that cannot go on every day and will have to deal with living there. I am single, no children, and 50 years old. But I am concerned that I might just be thinking to much with my little head and don't want to regret making the move. What sort of things should I consider while exploring this oppotunity?

Chemist Dude

" What sort of things should I consider while exploring this opportunity "

First if it doesn't work out and you get lonely and miss home can you go back to your old position without a problem or are you out in the cold?

Good luck, LBM

Chemist Dude
07-24-10, 03:43
" What sort of things should I consider while exploring this opportunity "

First if it doesn't work out and you get lonely and miss home can you go back to your old position without a problem or are you out in the cold?

Good luck, LBMThanks Little Big Man, yea, I have to move to a new job and if I am unhappy in Thailand would have to return and find new job. Though I am not the type to miss home. I was more concerned about what there might be to do other that banging the women. I checked the prices to rent a home and that isn't going to be a problem. So is there golf other sports activities around?

Chemist Dude

LittleBigMan
07-26-10, 11:41
C.D.

Well, if you don't have a choice and you haven't been able to find something else to stay put then living in Bangkok isn't the worst thing in the world. You stated your age and if you have nothing to hold you back and it pays well and you can still save for retirement etc..

I don't live in Bangkok but from what people discuss there is plenty to do besides the ladies. Golf, if that is your thing but I would say keeping a open mind and being open to meeting people instead of being a hermit! I don't feel comfortable in giving you names without someone permission but look back in the Bangkok and Expat Forum and pick out some names of poster you might think can help you in living here especially where to live and try giving them a PM message.

Personally, I think start small and slow and when it comes to living arrangements because there is plenty to choice from if your wordk is paying most if not all your expenses.

Good luck, LBM

ThaiRanger
07-28-10, 00:44
Great fun does it all.

Asiandiver
07-31-10, 07:11
Thanks Little Big Man, yea, I have to move to a new job and if I am unhappy in Thailand would have to return and find new job. Though I am not the type to miss home. I was more concerned about what there might be to do other that banging the women. I checked the prices to rent a home and that isn't going to be a problem. So is there golf other sports activities around?

Chemist DudeBangkok is a large city and there are all the things you might do at home.

There are various clubs - The British Club, Polo Club, etc which organise activities, both sporting and social.

There are sports clubs if you're at all sporty.

Golf is everywhere, and fairly cheap.

I'm sure you can find whatever you want in Bangkok, including the occasional girl.

Cheers,

AD

AussieDoug
07-31-10, 12:49
I have been approached by a major corporation to see if I would be interested in taking charge of their research and development division based in Bangkok. But I am concerned that I might just be thinking to much with my little head and don't want to regret making the move. What sort of things should I consider while exploring this oppotunity?

Chemist DudeThe British Chamber of Commerce puts out a bi annual report on the cost of living in Bangkok, it's a good read and lets you know how much you will spend as an ordinary local who is not a sexpat fulltime. But if your salary allows it why not indulge in two or three, I know one guy who has 3 live ins, and still has some dough to burn in the bars etc.

Stiffoak 571
08-05-10, 11:27
Just arrived to finally live in BKK. All going well despite the "shower" at 5pm every day! Slows down my going out routine.

Got computer and internet running but after a bit of checking up on my usual sites I found a pop up with "this site is banned - for more information contact Ministry of IT".

Does that mean that they keep a log of such things and that at some point I will get busted for trying to look at porn?

Goyave
08-08-10, 18:30
Just arrived to finally live in BKK. All going well despite the "shower" at 5pm every day! Slows down my going out routine.

Got computer and internet running but after a bit of checking up on my usual sites I found a pop up with "this site is banned - for more information contact Ministry of IT".

Does that mean that they keep a log of such things and that at some point I will get busted for trying to look at porn?

Don't be paranoid! It's just a warning message. I've seen this one at least a dozen of times per year while trying to access various (not only porn) websites from my home connection in Thailand (and other locations) since 2002 and never have been worried so far by the local authorities.

Vlad Impaler
08-17-10, 08:27
The British Chamber of Commerce puts out a bi annual report on the cost of living in Bangkok, it's a good read and lets you know how much you will spend as an ordinary local who is not a sexpat fulltime. But if your salary allows it why not indulge in two or three, I know one guy who has 3 live ins, and still has some dough to burn in the bars etc.Thanks for that info, would be very useful.

Could you please provide a link to the reports?

Difficult finding way through UK webs.

(I guess it would be too much to hope for a complete breakdown of services quality and prices of P4P from the British Chamber of Commerce.)

Lennyworthington
08-25-10, 07:21
Hi All,

I'm moving to Thailand to retire.

Could anyone tell me the best way to transfer money from an English bank to a Thai bank.When I have been in the past the exchange rate has changed from day to day,and even if it's only a few baht when transfering a few grand it could mean quite a lot of difference.

Any help would be welcomed

Lennyworthington
08-25-10, 07:51
Hi All,

Could anyone tell me the best way to transfer money from an English bank to a Thai bank.When I have been in the past the exchange rate has changed from day to day,and even if it's only a few baht when transfering a few grand it could mean quite a lot of difference.

Daddy07
08-26-10, 04:19
Hi All,

You'll get the best exchange rate with a wire transfer from your English bank into the account of your Thai bank.

Opebo
08-26-10, 10:18
Can anyone tell me how I can find out the ATM rate at a given bank on a given day? Maybe I could check online?

Lennyworthington
08-26-10, 12:49
You'll get the best exchange rate with a wire transfer from your English bank into the account of your Thai bank.Thanks Daddy07 Could you recomend a bank?

Daddy07
08-28-10, 03:22
Thanks Daddy07 Could you recomend a bank?
I use Bangkok Bank Pattaya Branch and am happy with their services including Internet banking.

LittleBigMan
08-28-10, 13:32
Hi All,

Someone mention ATM?

Whatever you do don't open your account at Aeon Bank,,, see thread " Places to avoid "

LBM

Daddy San
08-29-10, 15:29
Can some fellow diabetic or anyone who happens to be in a pharmacy (buying Viagra, Cialis, etc) please inquire and let me know the THB price of:
Blood Glucose Test Strips Abbot Precision Xtra Plus in packs of 100 or 50?

In Germany where I live, prices of medical supplies are controlled by the manufacturers to eliminate competition and consequent price erosion. A pack of 100 test strips cost the equivalent of THB 2100 or almost as much as a dose of "Flowers"

Thanks for your help.

DS

LittleBigMan
08-30-10, 08:02
Can some fellow diabetic or anyone who happens to be in a pharmacy (buying Viagra, Cialis, etc) please inquire and let me know the THB price of:
Blood Glucose Test Strips Abbot Precision Xtra Plus in packs of 100 or 50?

In Germany where I live, prices of medical supplies are controlled by the manufacturers to eliminate competition and consequent price erosion. A pack of 100 test strips cost the equivalent of THB 2100 or almost as much as a dose of "Flowers"

DS

Daddy San,

Almost all of the small pharmacies throughout town certainty will not carry this brand " Abbot " and even if you are lucky to find the brand " Abbot Precision " they won't carry the " Xtra Plus " Now your question is still at the early stage so I do hope I'm wrong and someone or a Expat here will prove me wrong for your sake.

The larger one like Fascino do not carry your Brand but do have Accu-Chook Advantage 2 / 50 for 940 Baht, Performa 25x2 for 499 Baht and a Brand called Easy Gluco 50/ 810.

Another well known place is Watson which didn't carry your Brand.

A Place on Soi Buakhao call Royal Pharmacy I think had the Brand " Abbot" but not the " Xtra Plus "

Food land Pharmacy who caters to many Expats required medicine didn't have " Abbot "

That's all I got sorry but no cigar?

LBM

Daddy San
08-30-10, 16:09
Hi LBM,

you really went the extra mile!

Thanks a lot.

DS

Reiner Otto
09-20-10, 11:38
Hi,

I am looking to spend 4-6 weeks in Pattaya, beginning middle of January.
So a flat seems to be more apropiate for me compared to a hotel room, especially, because first of all I need to work on the internet, and want to have some fun on top.
Can anybody recommend an agency, and the best location ?
I hav the following requirements:
- Air conditioner
- fast internet (not mobile)
- sports club nearby
- reasonable comfort, but not lux

Last not least: How many $ can I expect for cost of living per month ?

Thanx in Advance

Lennyworthington
09-22-10, 18:26
Hi all,

Be with you soon.

The question I have is which would I get the better rate for at the exchange window. Cash or sterling travellers Cheques.

Cheers

Tiger 888
09-23-10, 06:29
Hi all,

Be with you soon.

The question I have is which would I get the better rate for at the exchange window. Cash or sterling travellers Cheques.

Cheers
Definitely cash. Go to Vasu, Sukh 7/1 on the corner (Same Soi as Eden)

LittleBigMan
09-24-10, 07:51
Hi,

I am looking to spend 4-6 weeks in Pattaya, beginning middle of January.
So a flat seems to be more apropiate for me compared to a hotel room, especially, because first of all I need to work on the internet, and want to have some fun on top.
Can anybody recommend an agency, and the best location ?
I hav the following requirements:
- Air conditioner
- fast internet (not mobile)
- sports club nearby
- reasonable comfort, but not lux

Last not least: How many $ can I expect for cost of living per month ?

Thanx in Advance

Many of your questions are very general without knowing what you are willing to spend and what your sexual and eating habits are? But go to the Pattaya Hotel Thread do alittle RTFF, not too much work? and look up the information for View Talay 6, many have stayed here recently and have positive reports.

LBM

Lennyworthington
09-25-10, 21:03
Definitely cash. Go to Vasu, Sukh 7/1 on the corner (Same Soi as Eden)Cheers Tiger GRRR

Member #4148
09-30-10, 11:32
American-trained emergency physician. Living and practicing in Israel the last seven years.

Thinking of settling in Thailand.

Any MD's here who can give me some hints about the ins and outs of procuring a license to practice which I will not find from the Thailand medical board website or other official sources?

Thanks in advance.

Blourghus
10-19-10, 21:47
There seem to be a lot of rich people in Bangkok - I mean at upper end night clubs there are a lot of really nice cars in the parking lot (Porches, BMW, etc..), and there are the luxury malls like Siam Paragon and Emporium. There is a ostentatious display of wealth in this area which seems totally out of place in this region.

Where does all this "noeveau riche" wealth come from? Thailand is not a rich country, the only well-known export is rice or maybe textiles. If you see it in Moscow or the Middle East, it is oil money, Hong Kong or Shanghai it is from finance, Tokyo - industry, India - IT, etc.. so what industry is driving so much wealth to Bangkok ??

Amjeck
10-20-10, 19:40
There seem to be a lot of rich people in Bangkok -

Where does all this "noeveau riche" wealth come from? Thailand is not a rich country, the only well-known export is rice or maybe textiles.
Try not to judge all of Thailand just by looking at Bangkok. Go out into the provinces and you will see a lot less wealth. You say Thailand is not a "rich" country, but it's certainly not a poor one either.

Fon Tok
10-21-10, 13:28
There seem to be a lot of rich people in Bangkok - I mean at upper end night clubs there are a lot of really nice cars in the parking lot (Porches, BMW, etc..), and there are the luxury malls like Siam Paragon and Emporium. There is a ostentatious display of wealth in this area which seems totally out of place in this region.

Where does all this "noeveau riche" wealth come from? Thailand is not a rich country, the only well-known export is rice or maybe textiles. If you see it in Moscow or the Middle East, it is oil money, Hong Kong or Shanghai it is from finance, Tokyo - industry, India - IT, etc.. so what industry is driving so much wealth to Bangkok ??Thailand's economy is driven by high value exports -- automobiles, small engines electronics, machinery, rubber based medical implements, etc.

Thailand's Export Partners: US 10.94%, China 10.58%, Japan 10.32%, Hong Kong 6.22%, Australia 5.62%, Malaysia 5.03%, Singapore 4.97% (2009)

Contrary to common belief, tourism is a relatively small segment of the economy, about 8% of the total economy.

The following quote is from the US CIA Word Factbook:

"With a well-developed infrastructure, a free-enterprise economy, generally pro-investment policies, and strong export industries, Thailand enjoyed solid growth from 2000 to 2008 - averaging more than 4% per year - as it recovered from the Asian financial crisis of 1997-98.

Thai exports - mostly machinery and electronic components, agricultural commodities, and jewelry - continue to drive the economy, accounting for more than half of GDP. The global financial crisis of 2008-09 severely cut Thailand's exports, with most sectors experiencing double-digit drops. In 2009, the economy contracted 2.8%.

The Thai government is focusing on financing domestic infrastructure projects and stimulus programs to revive the economy, as external trade is still recovering and persistent internal political tension and investment disputes threaten to damage the investment climate."

Source: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/th.html

Combine a healthy economy with a minimum wage of about 200 baht a day (which is what most workers get), and you can imagine why there is a relatively small, privileged, wealthy class, and a lot of poor folks barely getting by.

For more on poverty in Thailand, see the recent Bangkok Post article,
"Reality bites workers hard: As industry resists minimum wage hikes, life's a struggle for many at the bottom of the heap"

Link to article: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/202055/reality-bites-workers-hard

Pita123
10-22-10, 07:47

Where does all this "noeveau riche" wealth come from? Thailand is not a rich country, the only well-known export is rice or maybe textiles. If you see it in Moscow or the Middle East, it is oil money, Hong Kong or Shanghai it is from finance, Tokyo - industry, India - IT, etc.. so what industry is driving so much wealth to Bangkok ??
Fon Tok gave you the low-down and also remember that the money generally stays in the family. Rich marry rich and do business with their friends. This isn't all new wealth. This is driving much of the political unrest. Are you aware that Thailand is part of the G20? Seems you have a wrong impression about Thailand.

Giotto
10-22-10, 08:46
Are you aware that Thailand is part of the G20?
...Pita123,

That's new to me.

Giotto
http://www.livingstones.co.th

Hermescali
10-22-10, 09:14
Fon Tok gave you the low-down and also remember that the money generally stays in the family. Rich marry rich and do business with their friends. This isn't all new wealth. This is driving much of the political unrest. Are you aware that Thailand is part of the G20? Seems you have a wrong impression about Thailand.Thailand is not part of the G 20 but of the G 22 (G 20 plus Thailand, HK, Poland, Malaysia ad Singapore minus Türkey, Saudi-Arabia and the European Union) But the G 22 last met in the late nineties.

Smartbuy
10-26-10, 13:37
Thailand's economy is driven.

Corruption and speculation. Big money comes from land deals and the real estate bubble, and to some extent little monopolies. Cement, rock, and government largess. But a young growing population means local demand is strong.

By high value exports. Automobiles, small engines electronics, machinery, rubber based medical implements, etc.

Wishful thinking, China is taking some of those exports, but a few smarter operators pick Thailand because

1) In China, you can't relocate back out to another country

2) Deal is great at first, but then costs rise (In China)

3) Your advantages / trade secrets soon 'migrate' to a copy shop

4) Thai's are good hard workers, and sometimes they can match Chinese prices.

5) Population size is optimum at present (for exports); given local protections.

Future. Thailands Exports are a a bit bruised as China's Yuan is fixed to US dollar, Vs Thai Baht appreciation. That 18% appreciation is nasty. So expect some high value industries to move back to screwdriver shops.

In the meantime the hand to mouth peasants in the North are livid about not getting a fair deal, and voter numbers are huge. The whole Thai political scene can't cope, and can't strike internal deals the old way. Only change is certain.

Somehow I expect Thailand to pull through better than other countries.

Redcurry
10-26-10, 20:30

Where does all this "noeveau riche" wealth come from? Thailand is not a rich country, the only well-known export is rice or maybe textiles. If you see it in Moscow or the Middle East, it is oil money, Hong Kong or Shanghai it is from finance, Tokyo - industry, India - IT, etc.. so what industry is driving so much wealth to Bangkok ??Firstly. Bangkok is the major city/capital city of a dev. Country and like many other mid sized growing countries, its major city tend to have a disproportionate amount of the wealth/educational/leisure/retail, etc venues in the country.

Of the really rich, I am sure BKK leads by far far more then its % of Thailand's population, then Phuket, Chiang Mai and maybe Khorat(lots of industry). I'm assuming the industrial barons near the Eastern seaboard consider their "home" to be in/around BKK, not Chonburi/Rayong.

Secondly, next to Singapore. Bangkok has grown as the sort of regional center for Regional/Global businesses, logistics, etc.

Its a mistake to think, Thailand's largest exports are based on rice alone. Industrial based like cars, car components, mid level machine production are larger % then agri-business. Not to say Agricultural is not a major employer, it is the biggest but as an earner its not.

Thailand is not rich, but certainly not poor. Hence why hundreds of thousands of neighboring peoples try to come to Thailand to work, legally or otherwise. Below the surface there are lots of Burmese, Thai Yai(Shan), Lao, Khmer working in jobs that many Thai's would prefer not to do(cleaning fish all day long, dangerous construction jobs, stripping copper/other components out of junk/tossed out things.

Len Worthington
11-27-10, 05:14
Hi Guys,

Just retired here in Pattaya.

Could someone please let me know the best way to transfer money from England to here.

Also cheapest or best car hire.

Lenny

DirkDingy
12-04-10, 08:07
American-trained emergency physician. Living and practicing in Israel the last seven years.

Any MD's here who can give me some hints about the ins and outs of procuring a license to practice which I will not find from the Thailand medical board website or other official sources?

Thanks in advance.

odd question to ask on a sex board.

Siam Dreamer
12-04-10, 17:21
Firstly. Bangkok is the major city/capital city of a dev. Country and like many other mid sized growing countries, its major city tend to have a disproportionate amount of the wealth/educational/leisure/retail, etc venues in the country.Totally agree. Many Fortune 500 companies and/or major multinational companies have very keen and growing interests in Thailand. The manufacturing base is increasing.

Several women I met told me that the factories in Chom Buri are always hiring and looking for good workers. Unfortunately the wages are not enough to sustain japanese, or western standards of living. So the girls are well accustomed to supplementing their income. Even those who have working class jobs in Bangkok.

Bangkok has greatly improved compared to Manilla for example. Where I understand the poverty is much greater.

AussieDoug
12-05-10, 11:47
Satyr9,

Thanks in advance.

So, are you a doctor or a paramedic? I think your first stop would be the international hospitals who may also need your language skills.

Redcurry
12-05-10, 20:24
Totally agree. Many Fortune 500 companies and/or major multinational companies have very keen and growing interests in Thailand. The manufacturing base is increasing.

Several women I met told me that the factories in Chom Buri are always hiring and looking for good workers. Unfortunately the wages are not enough to sustain japanese, or western standards of living. So the girls are well accustomed to supplementing their income. Even those who have working class jobs in Bangkok.

Bangkok has greatly improved compared to Manilla for example. Where I understand the poverty is much greater.Quality of life wise. I would take BKK over Manila at all incomes. I'm not going to say the depths of Klong Toei are "safe" but they are much safer then many lower-middle class parts of Manila. Bangkok has slums but nothing like the sprawling slums around Manila, outside Q. City near Manila boundary, Tondo in Manila, etc.

I read a report that due to rising wages/land zoning/people not wanting heavy industry near their village/town. Thai heavy industry is looking to jump over to Myanmar's new deep water port/dev complex.

LittleBigMan
12-07-10, 07:01
odd question to ask on a sex board.

This shouldn't be odd at all... Although a sex board it contains lots of threads just like this one. Although we are here basically as mongers we do get sick just like everyone and need attention. Just look at the hospital alone in Pattaya that cater to the Expats and Tourist and charge us a arm and a leg to service our needs though still cheaper abroad in our own countries.

I for one like to see him get license open his own practice and cater to Expat, Tourist and their families so that we can get the type of service like home without looking like a ATM to these hospital. Wouldn't it be refreshing to go see a Doctor in his or her office to get a basic checkup, X-Ray, minor surgery, blood test and pills dispense without going to a hospital and they telling you " you need to stay overnight "! and charge you Farang prices.

Aussiedoug,

By the way he clearly identify himself as a American Train Physician so he isn't a paramedic! Yes, his first move should be at the International hospitals and working for one he most likely will be paid better but have less say how he interacts with the patients since they control the schedule and patient load. For example at BPH, the physical has 10 minutes to spent with you and anything more than that you can feel them staring at the clock while you are talking.

LBM

Spider916
12-11-10, 12:47
Afik, you need written and spoken fluency in Thai to sit on the exam. Almost no foreign md passed those exams.

Satyr9,

Thanks in advance.

So, are you a doctor or a paramedic? I think your first stop would be the international hospitals who may also need your language skills.

Spider916
12-11-10, 12:49
Its not, but sometimes gets invited by the host to attend a meet.

In Asean, only Indonesia is a fully fledged member.

Pita123,

That's new to me.

Giotto.

[Uing.

ORL]http://www.livingstones.co.th[/URL]

Member #3200
12-17-10, 19:32
I need some advice on the thai tradition of sin sot, as a farang who thinks this practice is basically a daughter's family BF for their daughters when they get engaged.

Have any of you fine members ever paid a sin sot for your thai wife? And would you or not pay the sin sot if you single guys pay the sin sot to uphold thai tradition if you intend to marry a thai woman?

NicFrenchy
12-18-10, 13:00
I need some advice on the thai tradition of sin sot, as a farang who thinks this practice is basically a daughter's family BF for their daughters when they get engaged.

Have any of you fine members ever paid a sin sot for your thai wife? And would you or not pay the sin sot if you single guys pay the sin sot to uphold thai tradition if you intend to marry a thai woman? Don't get married to a Thai woman. Seriously.

Col Law
12-18-10, 14:21
[QUOTE=Member #3200; 1103609]I need some advice on the thai tradition of sin sot, as a farang who thinks this practice is basically a daughter's family BF for their daughters when they get engaged.

If the amount quoted is not stupid in your eyes not stupid go ahead, remember it can also be about making face, depending on the wife's families circumstances it sometimes is returned but don't expect it to be, my friend paid 10000 GBP he thought she was worthwhile 12 tears ago 2 kids later there still devoted to each other. (she had a university education so hopes would have been higher)

Opebo
01-12-11, 15:36
I have a couple of Thai bank accounts, and anticipate receiving a check in the USA, but no longer have any effective means of dealing with it there.

Is it possible to deposit an American check (physical check) into one's Thai bank account?

Goyave
01-12-11, 16:11
I have a couple of Thai bank accounts, and anticipate receiving a check in the USA, but no longer have any effective means of dealing with it there.

Is it possible to deposit an American check (physical check) into one's Thai bank account?

Never have done something similar in Thailand yet, but according to some contributors on ThaiVisa, it's possible:
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/203200-Cashing-Personal-Check/
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/377391-depositing-a-foreign-check-into-your-thai-bank-account/

Goyave
01-13-11, 11:15

Have any of you fine members ever paid a sin sot for your thai wife? And would you or not pay the sin sot if you single guys pay the sin sot to uphold thai tradition if you intend to marry a thai woman?

Is the bride a virgin? If not, you don't have to pay any sin sot. By the way, if you intend to marry a Thai woman (and moreover if she is a former prostitute), before making a decision that you might regret, you should at least read this webpage: http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/reader/reader1803.htm

While I am a little bit more optimistic than the author about regular middle-class Thai women, I agree with almost everything that is said on the above mentioned webpage, especially when dealing with former prostitutes.

LittleBigMan
01-15-11, 00:05

Is it possible to deposit an American check (physical check) into one's Thai bank account? If it is a personal check from the USA it will not be accepted. There was a time when Cashier Checks and Money order was accepted but now they can be copy by anyone that has a computer and printer and their value are just like any other personal checks. When accepted they would take a while to clear something like I remerber 21 days, a Thai check from a insurance company took 4 days to clear.

Just a suggestion, if you have a Bangkok Bank account you might have the check sent to the HQ in New York cleared by them and have them forward the money over to Thailand if you have a Bangkok Bank Account. Check their website in New York and contact maybe they have a way? I know the Bangkok Bank have a agreement with Expat from the USA to direct deposit Expats Social Security checks to the office in New York. This is how my brother gets his S. S. Check each month to his Bangkok Bank account in Thailand.

LBM

Sanook D
01-18-11, 06:25
Is the bride a virgin? If not, you don't have to pay any sin sot. By the way, if you intend to marry a Thai woman (and moreover if she is a former prostitute) , before making a decision that you might regret, you should at least read this webpage:

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/reader/reader1803.htm

While I am a little bit more optimistic than the author about regular middle-class Thai women, I agree with almost everything that is said on the above mentioned webpage, especially when dealing with former prostitutes. Good advice and a good article, too. There is no good reason to pay sinsot for a non-virgin- if you insist on going through with this enlist a Thai mediator. Remember, it's a business deal. I would say that if you are really bent on marrying the girl it might be a better idea to take her to your own country and do it there. Marriage to a Thai in Thailand confers almost no advantages, and actually can be a disadvantage to the woman in terms of purchasing real estate.

Pita123
01-20-11, 14:13
My apologies if this is not the proper place to ask this question: I'm looking for a maid service to come in and clean the apartment a few times a week. I want a real housekeeper (I. E. One that can cook and clean well) , but would like to get "extra's" while she's here. Does anyone have experience with this type of arrangement in BKK? How could I approach the issue with a housekeeper?Grab her ass and see what happens next.

Opebo
01-23-11, 20:29
If it is a personal check from the USA it will not be accepted.Well, its a check from an insurance company. Is that 'personal' or?

Stevebny
02-13-11, 13:25
Grab her ass and see what happens next.The situation requires more delicacy and finesse. Leave a porno in the DVD player, and some unused condoms, lube, and toys on the nightstand. Tell her you'll be back in two hours but actually return in about 1/2 hour. If she's not jumping your bones once you enter, then grab her ass and see what happens next.

LittleBigMan
02-14-11, 22:42
Well, its a check from an insurance company. Is that 'personal' or?Personally, if the insurance check is from outside the country like USA I don't believe they will cash it? I got a check from AIA Insurance from Bangkok. I was told that I had to take it to the bank in which I open my account on 2nd Road. In Pattaya to cash the check. I was only 10 minutes away at BigC, Pattaya Tai, and when I got to the bank they told me they they couldn't cash the check but had to deposit and hold it for 5 days.

You might want to ask the insurance company instead of writing a check that they can wire the money to your account from the insurance company bank to your bank in Thailand?

Good luck, LBM

Chieftain
02-17-11, 04:29

Have any of you fine members ever paid a sin sot for your thai wife? And would you or not pay the sin sot if you single guys pay the sin sot to uphold thai tradition if you intend to marry a thai woman? I'm afraid you won't get the perfect answer, esp. Not on a P4P website. What's the background of the lady you intend to marry?

Mangofan
02-17-11, 04:51

Have any of you fine members ever paid a sin sot for your thai wife? And would you or not pay the sin sot if you single guys pay the sin sot to uphold thai tradition if you intend to marry a thai woman? Never pay sinsot. Never. Maybe if the girl is a virgin from a very good family. And even then, just maybe. But don't pay it for anything less. It's an outdated tradition that Thai girls (especially those from Isaan) use to get cash out of Mr. Farang Tourist. And don't believe that bullshit about it being "Thai Culture". That's complete shit. Seriously. Do not pay it, or if you do, make sure you get it back after the wedding. Some guys show sinsot at the wedding, then it is given back by the parents. Or sometimes part of it is used to pay for the wedding. But the wedding "gifts" from guests should pay for the cost of the wedding.

And if she's a working girl, don't marry her.

In fact, you should think VERY carefully before deciding to marry a Thai girl. Not many Thai-farang marriages work out. A lot of my friends are married to Thai girls and they are absolute nightmares as wives.

Tony Hoeprano
02-20-11, 04:59
Hi guys. Is it possible to obtain employment in BKK other than teaching English? I have a way to make money online, but there may be future obstacles that might make this difficult long term. Thanks in advance

LuvDaPuss
02-21-11, 19:46
Greetings Gents. I've vacationed in the LOS 3x in the last 6 years and really do enjoy it, especially Phuket. I'm not so much into Pattaya as it is a bit too hard core for this old bird [55]. Over the last 5 years I have been playing online poker to where now looking back over the last 10 months I'm averaging a bit more than $5K / month. I figured what the hell, why not retire so I did. I would not recommend it for most but it works for me so far.

With that background my question is why not do this out of a long term condo rental in Patong or Kammala Beach? Must haves' are 1] rock solid internet connection; 2] Air Conditioning; 3] Cleanliness to western standards and 4] Safety. I have looked at some advertisements for 1 bedroom "nice" places like this in the $1000 to $1500 / month range but knowing Thailand a little bit I figure this may be BS. Is this realistic? I can't see myself living there on a permanent basis but could easily stay for 3 to 6 months at a time and I think a hotel would be a real grind not to mention more pricey.

Anyone out there with a similar situation please comment as I'm all ears. And please be blunt, I doubt if you can hurt my delicate little feelings. All the best. LDP

PinkPearl
02-23-11, 12:39
No, I never go to those places, or in fact to Bangkok at all, if possible. I mostly meet expats where they are. Toiling at schools. Besides, expats typically cannot afford to visit Nana or Cowboy. Those places are for big spending tourists.

I don't doubt that there are a few foriegn residents in Thailand with large incomes, but I'm also quite sure for every one with 250, 000 / month, there are a hundred with 35, 000. Correct. That is my turf, while my income exceeds any of the above by far. Don't be fooled by the shorts, cheap shirt and backpack.

Stevebny
02-27-11, 04:05
Hi guys. Is it possible to obtain employment in BKK other than teaching English? I have a way to make money online, but there may be future obstacles that might make this difficult long term. Thanks in advanceIf you mean finding employment that pays almost a Western-type salary, doesn't require fluent Thai, and won't bore the shit out of you, good luck. It seems only Executives and "Hot Skill" people get those jobs.

Unless you know someone. Good luck anyway.

Member #3200
02-27-11, 19:43
Is abortion legal or illegal in Thailand?

Stevebny
02-28-11, 04:21
Is abortion legal or illegal in Thailand?If memory still works, abortion is illegal but still quietly practiced. For your reference, one such clinic can be found on Sukh Soi 12 next to the Cabbages & Condoms restaurant.

Malcolm Fraser
04-12-11, 08:43
Hello, everyone and thank you for all the great advice and experience I've gathered from this forum. Largely as a result of these vicarious experiences since I joined about 3 years ago it has been my dream and goal to move to Thailand and to live and work there. I'm happy to say that I now have a job offer and I will be moving in June. It's not a generous ex-pat package but a reasonable one I think. Or I should say thought. I negotiated without checking the Thai tax rate and stupidly thought it would be similar to HK and Singapore where I have worked previously. Now, I find via google that the rate is 37. 5% with no deductions. Can anyone give me any advice or point me to an accountant who may be able to assist me to minimise the tax payable in Thailand?

Thank you very much for your assistance,

Regards,

Malcolm

Finrod
04-12-11, 18:00
Hello, everyone and thank you for all the great advice and experience I've gathered from this forum. Largely as a result of these vicarious experiences since I joined about 3 years ago it has been my dream and goal to move to Thailand and to live and work there. I'm happy to say that I now have a job offer and I will be moving in June. It's not a generous ex-pat package but a reasonable one I think. Or I should say thought. I negotiated without checking the Thai tax rate and stupidly thought it would be similar to HK and Singapore where I have worked previously. Now, I find via google that the rate is 37. 5% with no deductions. Can anyone give me any advice or point me to an accountant who may be able to assist me to minimise the tax payable in Thailand?

Regards,

MalcolmA friend of mine has an expat package for himself and family in BKK from an international company. He is paid in baht to the threshold before the higher tax rate kicks in, then the rest of his compensation is deposited to his account in Hong Kong and he pays income taxes to HK on those deposits. That works for him as he has permanent residency in HK. If you retained your residency and / or permission to work in HK or SG and maintained bank accounts there and your employer has a presence there, that might be an option for you. Otherwise suggest you find local legal advice that specializes in working with foreigners.

Tiger 888
04-12-11, 23:51
...then the rest of his compensation is deposited to his account in Hong Kong and he pays income taxes to HK on those deposits...Tax? In Hong Kong on deposits? In Hong Kong only income deriving from Hong Kong is taxable.

Malcolm Fraser
04-13-11, 07:51
A friend of mine has an expat package for himself and family in BKK from an international company. He is paid in baht to the threshold before the higher tax rate kicks in, then the rest of his compensation is deposited to his account in Hong Kong and he pays income taxes to HK on those deposits. That works for him as he has permanent residency in HK. If you retained your residency and / or permission to work in HK or SG and maintained bank accounts there and your employer has a presence there, that might be an option for you. Otherwise suggest you find local legal advice that specializes in working with foreigners.Thank you Finrod. I'm do not think HK / Singapore is possible with this company but if there are no other options I'll certainly try to push them a little harder.

New Old Guy
04-17-11, 15:05
Yesterday I got the runs and kept a strict diet for all today. To intake something, I had a small pudding and a Lipo Plus (licensed from Japanese maker). Especially the latter was surprisingly beneficial and helped me in regaining some strength and lucidity.

I wonder what this stuff really is? And what about the hundreds of undecipherable drinks they have? I tend to think they are mostly unneeded sugars but anyone knows better?

New Old Guy
04-17-11, 15:11
A friend of mine has an expat package for himself and family in BKK from an international company. He is paid in baht to the threshold before the higher tax rate kicks in, then the rest of his compensation is deposited to his account in Hong Kong and he pays income taxes to HK on those deposits. That works for him as he has permanent residency in HK. If you retained your residency and / or permission to work in HK or SG and maintained bank accounts there and your employer has a presence there, that might be an option for you. Otherwise suggest you find local legal advice that specializes in working with foreigners.I do not quite follow the logic here. For Thai purposes (unless they have very strange laws or no law at all) money paid outside the Thai payslip is simply tax evasion. So, if the employer is willing to breach laws and regulations by making payments on the side, why depositing in a country that then charges tax on the beneficiary? There are tens of "offshore" and not (eg the US) countries that would not care and not tax a dime on deposits received, no matter the residency status or what else.

Finrod
04-19-11, 20:33
I do not quite follow the logic here. For Thai purposes (unless they have very strange laws or no law at all) money paid outside the Thai payslip is simply tax evasion. So, if the employer is willing to breach laws and regulations by making payments on the side, why depositing in a country that then charges tax on the beneficiary? There are tens of "offshore" and not (eg the US) countries that would not care and not tax a dime on deposits received, no matter the residency status or what else.To paint a clearer picture, he is drawing two salaries in two different countries and paying income tax to each country. Dunno anything about the legality of the practice, but my friend says it's a common arrangement. I don't recall if his Thai compensation package included a housing and transportation allowance; I seem to recall there was favorable tax treatment in Thailand for that, but I don't remember that part of the conversation I had with him. IANAL and YMMV. The original poster asking the question could try consulting with Sunbelt Legal or some other local law firm with expertise in farang matters. Hope that clarifies.

LittleBigMan
04-29-11, 08:51

Regards,

MalcolmIf in Bangkok, you might want to contact TSL & Associate, although they specialize in US Immigration, Visas, Marriage, Thai Company Registration, Work Permits Real Estate Etc. The owner are Thai but raised and educated in the USA and speak English without missing a beat! The Brother and Sister are just across from the USA Embassy and might be able to properly inform you to the proper individual or company to answer your questions.

Her name is Virgina Ly tslvirvisa@aol.com Mobile 080-232-4111 website: www.tslthailand.com

If in Pattaya, check with WERACHON Thailand Solicitors and Tax Accountants email thai@werachonlawyers.com

www.thaisolicitor.com

Mrs. Darunee Werachon Licensed Lawyer and Tax Accountant.

Whatever you do stay away from Siamlaw in Bangkok and Pattaya, biggest crook in Thailand!

LBM

PogoStick
06-26-11, 20:33
Getting close to semi-retirement and considering Thailand. I have been there several times and it was instant love. I felt at home from the beginning.

I am not in a position to totally retire. I will never have a pension. I do have current business that I can do in Thailand that could easily provide a comfortable lifestyle. But I am fairly well burned out and want a total change.

So I am considering buying a small bar or restaurant. I see plenty of them available for very low prices. I know this is the most common pipe-dream out there. But I am familiar and comfortable running a business outside of my homeland (US). I am extremely good at branding and marketing, including guerrilla marketing. I have had several retail businesses and have some F&B experience in my deep past. So running and marketing a business on foreign soil is no big deal to me. In other words, I am not freshly retired from a job and thinking it would be cool to have a business. I have the experience and knowledge to actually do it.

My question is: would something like a small bar or cafe produce enough net profits to support myself? I don't need an extravagant lifestyle, but just enough to be comfortable and enjoy life. I can, if needed, still participate in my current industry to provide additional income. But if possible, I would rather produce enough from a local business so that I don't have to continue my other stuff.

Possible? Insane?

Pogo

BionicMan
06-26-11, 21:13
Getting close to semi-retirement and considering Thailand. I have been there several times and it was instant love. I felt at home from the beginning.

So I am considering buying a small bar or restaurant. . Possible? Insane?

PogoIt is possible it is not insane, but you got to be careful.

As you have been to Thailand a few times you know about the bar scene, the restaurant scene, the presence on the territory of these venues, all run or established by expatriates.

Most willing to bring a bit of flavour of their home country.

True a lot of tourist fly 12hrs and want to eat their own wienerschnitzel or the real spaghetti carbonara as at home.

We also all know this seldom happens.

Having siad that check the opportunities carefully, spend a trip in talking to other guys running a similar business outside of the area you want to stay.

They might be more keen to pass on hints.

Needless to say you will have to go through local sponsoring as I doubt a foreigner can own a bar or restaurant.

Check the tourist trends in the area.

I do not think guerrilla marketing techniques will be much useful: for these the global brands are strong and will anyhow take over.

Approach the market in the proper way and be wise!

Giotto
06-27-11, 07:43

So I am considering buying a small bar or restaurant. I see plenty of them available for very low prices.

Possible? Insane?

PogoPogo,

Short answer: INSANE! Don't even try it.

Though there are some exceptions (if the location is ok, but then the bar / restaurant is NOT CHEAP, if you have a special concept) usually all bars are permanently changing owners, and the price is falling all the time, until the lease agreement is prolonged and the game starts on a higher price level again. The only participants making money in this game are the landlords.

There are too many bars / restaurants in Bangkok. And all suffer right now from the aftermaths of the political unrest of the last years. And I don't think that the worst is over already.

Giotto.

Mr Enternational
06-27-11, 08:25
the only participants making money in this game are the landlords. there are too many bars / restaurants in bangkok.i always wondered about how they make money. i guess i have my answer now. they don't. bangkok and pattaya are so saturated with bars and restaurants that i can't imagine someone even having the idea of opening another. so why do people even think to do such a thing g? is it pretty much a dream and no due diligence?

speaking of which, i happened to get a peek at the intake of one of the bars in lucifer disco here in pattaya the other night. there are actually 4 bars in the back section of the disco and two in the front which are much less busy. one bar at the front bar took in 27,000 baht that night. not bad considering that is the least busiest bar in the joint and the 140 (160 at the back bars) baht price they put on a beer that you can buy for 30 baht at 7-11.

Chill Out
06-27-11, 09:21
One bar at the front bar took in 27,000 baht that night.What night was that? Ie a Friday or a Tuesday?

Bar profit on drinks is around 80%. So 27000 in a day isn't too bad. But it is usually the level of rent that can make or break the business. And you can be at the mercy of the landlord to throw you out if you are doing too well. This is very common in China for bars and restaurants. You do well for a year, then the landlord triples your rent (no joke!) and you have to close. I don't know if this happens in Thailand as well? It sure wouldn't surprise me.

Is it pretty much a dream and no due diligence?I think that's what it is in many cases. Guys who like being in bars open a bar without too much analysis. They usually aren't MBAs, but they like being in bars, so they figure, how hard could this be?

Having said that, I've seen some bars owners making fortunes (relatively speaking). A bar can be a nice money-maker if you are in the right spot and with the right formula.

Giotto
06-27-11, 09:28

So why do people even think to do such a thing G? Is it pretty much a dream and no due diligence? Mr Enternational,

Most of the bar owners don't know anything about that business and are quite unprofessional. Many of them are also the best customers of their own bar. And that's very bad already.

The standard story is, that a farang buys a bar for his Thai girlfriend. Usually 99 % of Thai girlfriends were met in bars. So they think they understand the business. Then they find out that only owning a bar and putting some girls in does not necessarily create enough revenue to make money. After a while, when the bar generates losses (lease must be paid every month) the farang wakes up and wants to get rid of the money burning machine. He usually then loses most of his investment. And his girlfriend.

I know most of the bar owners here in the road. There is ONE who understands his business, Bob from the Office Bar / Mojo. All others have (in my POV) no idea of what they are doing. That includes (of course) me too :).

Giotto

BionicMan
06-27-11, 09:32
What night was that? Ie a Friday or a Tuesday?

Bar profit on drinks is around 80. I think that's what it is in many cases. Guys who like being in bars open a bar without too much analysis. They usually aren't MBAs, but they like being in bars, so they figure, how hard could this be?

Having said that, I've seen some bars owners making fortunes (relatively speaking). A bar can be a nice money-maker if you are in the right spot and with the right formula. I would call that a MARGIN rather than a profit.

On the other hand lots of bars are run by expatriates rounding up incomes coming from other sources, such as investments, suchs as sale of their company back home, such as filling up a pension that home would not make you survive but not bad at all in Thailand and ehere the bar revenues are a nice ice on the cake.

Keeping yourself busy as well, so not too boring life.

Run Mann
06-27-11, 09:52
I see plenty of them available for very low prices.

PogoWhy do you think this is? If they were doing well they would not be so readily available at such very low prices.

Possible? Insane?

PogoGet a copy of the book off-beat, light hearted book Money Number One. The Author tells a funny but profound story about foreigners trying to run businesses in Thailand laying out some of the unforseen pitfalls one is bound to encounter. His message essentially was, if you want to make a million baht running a business here, start off with 10.

PogoStick
06-27-11, 13:18
thank you, gentlemen, for your responses.

the part of the world i work in, the caribbean, is a lot like thailand, but even worse. it is close enough to the us that fools can easily rush into a dream found on vacation only to discover that the realities of living on a small island are grossly different from the fantasy they are expecting. i will get a copy of money number one. it sounds like the thai version of don't stop the carnival about a guy that buys a run down hotel in the caribbean. believe it or not, the way they do things in the caribbean make thailand seem very sane and normal.

as has been said here, many of the guys that buy a bar have no business experience, only bar hopping experience. (i rarely drink) and this is a highly competitive market with hundreds of similar venues clustered in a small area. it is obviously not a reasonable playing field for beginners.

much of my experience is consulting with high end luxury retailers in the cruise ports, where competition is fierce and the stakes are very high. rents can start at us$25-30 thousand per month for a very small storefront plus key money in the 6 and 7 figure range. and you can have 300 such retailers in an area not much larger than the pat pong area. so i am certainly not afraid of being in a saturated environment. i thrive on it.

i also enjoy turning around failing businesses. in most cases, when viewed objectively, the problems are readily apparent. usually it is a fairly easy fix but almost impossible for those involved to step back and see it for themselves.

if thailand is like the caribbean, the problem is often a dream weaver facing reality with no tools to deal with the actual business end of the dream. in this scenario, i see opportunity.

there will always be dreamers chasing their dreams, running them into the ground and then getting desperate to get out. this is an opportunity to purchase a business at a very deep discount. usually all you get is some equipment and the lease along with a negative reputation with suppliers and customers. fix the problems, apply sound business / accounting practices and get creative in both product and marketing. bring it to the point of sustainable profitability. and then find the next dreamer and sell it at a profit. rinse and repeat.

in some ways i do recognize that this may be my fool's dream. that is why i am getting input from those that are already there, trying to find the potholes and speed bumps on the road to the goal. fortunately, i have a couple of years to make this happen and will be able to take the time to research and explore before i jump in. but i will find the right gig to keep me comfortable in los.

i won't buy a bar just because i think the bar tender is hot. the numbers have to make sense before i'll pull the trigger. i'll use the big head first to set it up so the little head can have fun with out worries.

thanks again, guys for a very useful discussion.

pogo

Mr Enternational
06-27-11, 15:00
The part of the world I work in, the Caribbean, is a lot like Thailand, but even worse. It is close enough to the US that fools can easily rush into a dream found on vacation only to discover that the realities of living on a small island are grossly different from the fantasy they are expecting. Sounds like the basis for buying a time share to me.
I will get a copy of Money Number One. It sounds like the Thai version of Don't Stop the Carnival about a guy that buys a run down hotel in the Caribbean. Believe it or not, the way they do things in the Caribbean make Thailand seem very sane and normal.While you are at it, get a copy of his second book as well,"A Fool in Paradise." My favorite part is the girlfriend he had who took part of 1, 000 baht savings and was going to open a stand at the market to sell sweets. She made a basket of 10 and was going to sell them for 20 baht. That is 20 baht for the whole basket; 2 baht each. She hadn't even figured it would cost her 20 baht to get to the market by motorbike, 20 baht to get home by motorbike, and she would have to pay a fee to the market for the space. Also, she had not thought about what it cost her to make the product or the new basket and stool that she had bought. Talk about dumb!

PogoStick
06-27-11, 17:58
Sounds like the basis for buying a time share to me.While you are at it, get a copy of his second book as well,"A Fool in Paradise." My favorite part is the girlfriend he had who took part of 1, 000 baht savings and was going to open a stand at the market to sell sweets. She made a basket of 10 and was going to sell them for 20 baht. That is 20 baht for the whole basket; 2 baht each. She hadn't even figured it would cost her 20 baht to get to the market by motorbike, 20 baht to get home by motorbike, and she would have to pay a fee to the market for the space. Also, she had not thought about what it cost her to make the product or the new basket and stool that she had bought. Talk about dumb!It's like the old story of 2 guys that buy a truck load of melons for a dollar each. And then sell them for a dollar each. At the end of the day they had sold every melon but realized they had lost money. They thought about it for a while and came up with a solution. They just need a bigger truck.

Bun Biter
07-10-11, 10:53
Hi guys,

Don't want to clutter the mongering thread with a non-P4P question, plus I think I'll get a better answer from the expats on this board.

I'm coming to LOS for 8 days in early Aug. First 2 days in BKK followed by 6 days in Pattaya. I'm in need of new prescription eye glasses and am wondering wether any of you expats can recommend an optician, preferably in Pattaya since I'll be there longer than in Bangkok. Thanks in advance!

Peace

LittleBigMan
07-19-11, 02:31
Hi guys,

Don't want to clutter the mongering thread with a non-P4P question, plus I think I'll get a better answer from the expats on this board.

I'm coming to LOS for 8 days in early Aug. First 2 days in BKK followed by 6 days in Pattaya. I'm in need of new prescription eye glasses and am wondering wether any of you expats can recommend an optician, preferably in Pattaya since I'll be there longer than in Bangkok. Thanks in advance!

PeaceBun Biter,

I have used Bangkok / Pattaya Hospital for a number of years for examination but recently I tried a independent shop recommended by a Expat Club. Called Euro Optics on Second Road. Across from Royal Garden where the Marriort is located. Extremely happy with the examines and the reasonably cost of their frames. The only problem I see for you is if you want frames etc. They have a lab in Bangkok and not locally and it takes a few days for them to get them back. Otherwise they have done well for my son needs.

Good Luck, LBM

Oldexpat
08-12-11, 20:01
I lived 8 years in Indonesia. Loved it but politically impossible to retire there. Loved Phuket but it's been since the 1990's since I was there. Hit retirement age a few months ago and leaving a bad marriage on top. It's either Nicaragua or Phuket Island for retirement. Questions: 1.) can you live okay on US$1500 per month and 2.) what area of Phuket Island would be the best to live in? (don't want to be in the center of 'sin city' itself)

BionicMan
08-13-11, 08:03
Hi guys,

PeaceI had my prescription glasses made in BKK in a matter of hours, and with a bit of special frame (reading glasses, with foldable frame)

I just picked up one shop in sukhumvit not far from Soi 33.

There are plenty of opticians and lot, if not only all, offer deals where you pay the second glasses with a 50% discount.

Oldexpat
08-29-11, 18:49
I lived 8 years in Indonesia. Loved it but politically impossible to retire there. Loved Phuket but it's been since the 1990's since I was there. Hit retirement age a few months ago and leaving a bad marriage on top. It's either Nicaragua or Phuket Island for retirement. Questions: 1.) can you live okay on US$1500 per month and 2.) what area of Phuket Island would be the best to live in? (don't want to be in the center of 'sin city' itself)Bump as no response and I need to know shortly, or else it's Nicaragua.

Wolvenvacht
08-29-11, 19:41
can you live okay on US$1500 per monthSure you can, but you may have to adjust your definition of "okay". .

Say 1500 USD is about 45000 baht at present exchange rates.

* 5000 baht per month for the most simple housing, without aircon, no heating and the most rudimentary Thai style bathroom.

* 250 baht per day, say 8000 baht per month for Thai food and that means getting your food from street vendors (which provide actually rather good quality food)

* 500 baht per week for your laundry, say 2000 baht per month. But you can do your laundry yourself in the sink.

* transportation: cheapest will be a scooter. It's fuel is rather expensive: 40+ baht per liter and I have no idea what these scooters guzzle. I assume (guess) you can get by on 10 l per week, so 1600 baht per month.

* telecom: local GSM calls are cheap, long distance is another story. Internet: 100 baht per hour in an internet cafe, but prices tend to vary a lot. Some places offer free wireless. Cable TV or sattelite: I have no idea at all.

Say you blow already 20000 baht per month on the bare necessities alone.

That leaves you 25000 baht per month for all other things. That is about 800 baht per day only! What are you going to do all day on that budget? Don't expect to get yourself a teerac LT every night. The cheapest I did in Thailand (in Jomtien) was to get an average looking bargirl LT to my apartment for a total cost of 2300 baht (1500 baht fee + 300 baht barfine + 300 baht on drinks and 200 baht tip) and we actually walked from her bar to my place. Getting a young spinner from a BKK a-gogo cost me double that. And I never touch a drop of alcohol, so that tends to limit the damage too.

1500 USD per month therefore looks at the low end of what is do-able. For 2500 USD per month I surely would give it a try.

Opebo
08-29-11, 22:10
I'm not intimately familiar with Phuket, but I've been there once and I know it is expensive. Why retire there? For the 5000 / month which Wolvenvacht says gets you rudimentary accommodations in Phuket, I believe you could get a decent room with air conditioning and hot water in Pattaya, and for even less (say 3000 or so) in a salubrious upcountry city like Udon Thani or Khon Kaen.

Scooters do not use much fuel if you avoid the automatic ones and get a regular bike. Girls are cheaper in Pattaya, though I have never taken a girl overnight as I don't see the point. You can get plenty of short times for 500-700 baht if you are a regular around town and become a regular for some girls. Then just splurge once in a while if you get tired of regulars.

If you live upcountry girls will tend not to be any cheaper than Pattaya, contrary to some expectations. Figure 1, 000 baht short time for good looking younger girls. There are, in some but not all cities, small brothels where you could go for 500-800 baht, but they really aren't very good as service is generally poor.

Anyway. 45, 000 / month would be enough upcountry, adequate in Pattaya, and I guess probably rather tight in Phuket or Bangkok, unless you don't plan to pay for girls. If no girls, then it is enough for anyplace.

Oldexpat
08-31-11, 15:56
I'm not intimately familiar with Phuket, but I've been there once and I know it is expensive. Why retire there? For the 5000 / month which Wolvenvacht says gets you rudimentary accommodations in Phuket, I believe you could get a decent room with air conditioning and hot water in Pattaya, and for even less (say 3000 or so) in a salubrious upcountry city like Udon Thani or Khon Kaen.

Scooters do not use much fuel if you avoid the automatic ones and get a regular bike. Girls are cheaper in Pattaya, though I have never taken a girl overnight as I don't see the point. You can get plenty of short times for 500-700 baht if you are a regular around town and become a regular for some girls. Then just splurge once in a while if you get tired of regulars.

If you live upcountry girls will tend not to be any cheaper than Pattaya, contrary to some expectations. Figure 1, 000 baht short time for good looking younger girls. There are, in some but not all cities, small brothels where you could go for 500-800 baht, but they really aren't very good as service is generally poor.

Anyway. 45, 000 / month would be enough upcountry, adequate in Pattaya, and I guess probably rather tight in Phuket or Bangkok, unless you don't plan to pay for girls. If no girls, then it is enough for anyplace.You guys have saved me! I listened to a friend here who is planning on the Phuket move on that same budget as he's been there recently to a 'visit'. I am going to have a rethink now, and conversation with him on your points. I'll check out what Pattaya info I can find.

Again, thanks a million!

BionicMan
08-31-11, 21:31
[QUOTE=Oldexpat; 1192378]You guys have saved me! I listened to a friend here who is planning on the Phuket move on that same budget as he's been there recently to a 'visit'. I am going to have a rethink now, and conversation with him on your points. I'll check out what Pattaya info I can find.

Again, thanks a million! [/QUOTE.

Happy ISG gave you good advises.

Often people underestimates lots of factors and think a vacation heaven (when often money is not a big issue) is an heaven for the rest of his life.

Reality is much harder. And different!

I have a freind too who leaves 9 months in Phuket and 3 months back in Europe, he is not retired and has sufficient fundigs as he still work and makes good earnings: a different story!

Chill Out
10-12-11, 00:33
I've read a few times that it's not easy for the average dude to find a job in BKK, besides teaching English. What though if you have a good MBA from a reputable school? Is it then possible to find a good white-collar job in a foreign company, even without speaking thai?