PDA

View Full Version : WSG Charities in Argentina

Saint
08-24-03, 19:17
Hi amigos. Some of you may be aware that Jackson has taken the time to start a charity to help feed the poor of Buenos Aires and the surrounding communities. It's ironic because we both had the same thought about trying to do something to help the poor of Buenos Aires. He was much further along and took a lot of time and effort to put it together. Several of you have emailed me over the past several months asking if I still had plans to start something like this. There is really no need to double my efforts as we have the same goal.

I am asking all of you that have received benefit from my posts in the past and all of you that have received benefit from WSG to make a donation. This probably includes just about everyone reading this forum. Even if you have no plans to visit Buenos Aires you have probably received an indirect benefit of living vicariously through members from this forum. I'm not asking you to contribute a huge amount although if you could that would be great. With the sheer number of guys that read this board all it would take is a small donation of $10, $15, $20, $25, or $50 a year to make a big impact. If you can afford it then donate a few times a year.

I'm sure many of you could care less about the poor of Buenos Aires. If that is how you feel than so be it. I strongly feel that everyone can afford to contribute AT LEAST $10 or $15 to this cause. Several of us at the Thanksgiving Dinner last year contributed money to help with this cause. I hope that in the next few months I see more and more people with a designation under their handle that says they have donated. I didn't even know Jackson was doing that but it's probably a good idea. I would personally feel offended if I'm down there and out hobbying with some of you and you didn't contribute at least a little to this charity.

I feel like I've taken time to contribute through my posts and I've never asked any of you for anything. This is the first time and I hope you can find it in your heart to help out. You can make a donation with Paypal.com and that is probably the quick and easiest way. (To make it easy for him you might want to include your handle with your paypal.com donation). Please keep in mind that this is Jackson's project and he is the one that took the time to put it together. I know he probably didn't want to solicit donations and he never asked me to. I'm asking on my own behalf. Thanks in advance for your generosity!

Saint

www.wsgcharities.com

Slick1
08-25-03, 04:55
Saint

While we have yet to meet, I don't know why a certain someone didn't mention this worthwhile charity to me while I was in BA several months ago. Between the full day Clarin Experiment and several nights hitting the night spots its not like there wasn't ample opportunity. Rather than buying 4 stylish leather jackets, which I have yet to don in balmy Florida, I gladly would have given. Always felt like doing more than just sharing the breadbasket and leftovers with the hungry local Recoleta street urchins. Not as payback for the value of this board, but rather because there is nothing sadder than seeing a hungry child. Whether it be BA or anywhere else in this world. The link with attendant photos was quite moving and I appreciate your alerting me to this organization. I relish the opportunity to contribute knowing that the bulk of my gift won't be eaten up in charitable overhead.

Casting full anonymity charitable giving aside for just a moment, I would like to issue an incentive. Well, actually anonymity will prevail since Slick1 is not my real name. Anyway, if some fellow board members step forward and make pledges totalling a grand, I will match the thousand. Dollars, not pesos. I sure would like to see those kids get the extra oven they need or more. Now the members can just post the pledge or Jackson can post the total and then I'll match up to my max.

I won't go on about this since I am sure there already are a few people itching to get back to the Mongering Tales of Conquest. But I'll be watching Jackson for you to give me the go ahead. ( I'll still contribute even if you don't get that amount, but I thought this would be more interesting.) Keep up the good work gentlemen.

Saint
08-25-03, 05:34
Slick1,

We have yet to meet but your post tells me quite abit about the type of guy you are! Wow. I was hoping there were guys that would make contributions like this. $1,000 US will feed the poor in Argentina for quite some time. It will go a long way with food. I don't think Jackson will have a problem getting $1,000 from these guys. All it takes is 10 guys contributing $100 @. This is EXACTLY the type of responses I was hoping to get. Remember that this is a registered charity so I believe your donation is also tax deductible.

Kudos to you Slick1!

El Ricardo
08-25-03, 13:14
Saint,

I agree. I certainly enjoy myself in BA, and sometimes feel a little uneasy when I see how hard the people work in Argentina for so little. I was happy to see your post with the link, and immediately made a contibution through Paypal. Pretty easy thing to do. Is this link listed here in the Main Index someplace and I just don't see it? An announcement of such a repeat donation at the next Thanksgiving Day party would draw some additional interest I think.

ER

ps I may be in BA during the Thanksgiving period. If there's a gathering during this time, please announce it.

Bandy
08-25-03, 15:46
Guys:

During my last trip in June, I attended the dinner at the "Happening" arranged by Roxana and Jackson. At the end of the evening, Jackson explained about the Charity and encouraged everyone to contribute whatever they can. This was the first time I heard about it and naturally asked Jackson why he does not use the forum more actively to advance this great endeavor. The girl who I took that night, later on told me that she is familiar with those under-privileged areas Jackson was talking about and heard about the charitable donations. Anyway, I am glad Saint took the time to write about it. I can add few things what Jackson mentioned that night: Your contribution is tax deductible; as opposed to other established charitable organizations, 100% of your money will be spent without any administrative expense and he will pull the money and use it for its intended purpose anytime the account reaches over $500.00. (Jackson, if I am mis-quoting you, you can overrule me). It is easy to set up a PAY PAL account and do a secure transaction. That's exactly what I did when I came back to New York, although my amount of contribution is nowhere near the matching amount Slick1 is pledging.

Let's all try to do a little to keep hope alive.

Bandy

Admin
08-31-03, 15:29
Gents,

As of today, I have received a total of $970.00 in contributions through the Paypal link and in person. We need just $30.00 more to reach the goal of $1,000 set by Slick1.

Thanks Everyone!

Jackson

PS: I was unable to ascertain the WSG Forum handle of several of you who made donations, and thus was not able to change your user profile to reflect your contribution. If you are on this list, then please send me an email advising me of your handle.

Aug 27, 2003 from G. B.
Aug 26, 2003 from J. J.
Aug 25, 2003 from G. H.
Aug 24, 2003 from J. M.

My apologies for posting the amounts of each person's contribution in the previous report. I was only trying to prompt the contributors to identify their user name so I could give them proper recognition. I was not trying to create any sort of competition between contributors. All contributions in any amount are sincerely appreciated.

Jackson

Saint
09-01-03, 15:08
Hola amigos. I don't have much time to post. I am in Rio now. I had a VERY quick trip to Buenos Aires earlier in the week and I had a great day/night. It entailed seeing 4 girls in 30 hours. One I met on an earlier club, 1 was from 1707 Santa Fe, one from Madaho's and one from Black's. I had a great time as usual with Andres and Jackson.

The talent has improved since my last visit and I had fun. The exchange rate was good at 2.95 and the brisk weather was a nice change of pace. I'll post a detailed report when I leave Rio.

*** PLEASE do not forget about the charity. I strongly encourage all guys to contribute. I think it's awesome of the guys that have promised huge donations!! You don't have to contribute a big amount. Just paypal in $20 or whatever you can afford. We can do a lot of good.

Life is good.

Saint

Saint
09-27-03, 17:19
Unfortunately I'm stuck stateside for two months while I'm working my ass off to fund future trips. I just wanted to take time to thank all that have contributed to the WSG Charities Fund so far. To all those that haven't yet, please take time to donate. It's never too late. It's such a good cause. I'm not sure how much money has been raised so far but rest assured that all the money will go towards feeding people that are so much less fortunate than we are.

The last time I was in Buenos Aires less than a month ago I had dinner with Jackson. He talked about some cool ideas where some actual WSG members could be the ones that would go to the areas where they need the food. They would take the money and purchase food and take it to the people. This is such a great idea.

I realize that there are guys all over the world that are reading this that don't care about this project. If that's the case that is fine. But for those of you that do care about these things.... please don't forget about this worthwhile cause. I'm happy everytime I see another guy that is designated "WSG Charity Benefactor". Don't forget about this cause. Not because I'm asking you to but because you want to help out.

www.wsgcharities.com

J Wadd
11-09-03, 21:25
Heya guys:

I had a great time partying with the crew over the last few days. I'm in Rio now and would put B.A. right up there on the shelf with it.

Incidentally, I spent Friday afternoon traveling around the outskirts of B.A. researching potential commisarias (sp?) to receive WSG charity disbursements.

Two things I want to say:

(1) Jackson is doing a thorough and meticulous job with this operation, and is leaving no possibility of scam (in the form of the money not being spent on food, necessities, etc.). He supervises everything and can be trusted completely.

(2) These people really need the money. It's a sad state of affairs and anything we can do to give a little back is a great thing.

Alrighty -- back to Rio. Thanks again for a great time, Jackson!

Until next time,
JWadd

Admin
11-21-03, 08:15
Slick1 makes $1,000 donation to WSG Charities

Greetings Everyone,

As quoted below, on August 24, 2003 Slick1 challenged the membership of the WSG Forum to contribute $1,000, which he offered to match.

In the ensuing week, a number of Forum members rose to this challenge, and by September1, 2003 had donated a total of slightly more than $1,000, the final donation coming from JAK, who had been observing the running total and decided to make his donation to put us over the top.

Knowing Slick1 as I do personally, the next step was automatic, and I am pleased to announce that on September 2, 2003, Slick1 made a $1,000 matching contribution via PayPal to the WSG Charities Fund.

I think I speak for everybody when I say that this was a truly impressive act of generosity on Slick1's behalf, and I'm pleased that he will be joining me in making a food delivery to one of Buenos Aires's hundreds of independent soup kitchens that feed children during his visit this upcoming Thanksgiving weekend.

Those of you who wish may send their personal thanks to Slick1 by posting a message here or via a Private Message using this link:

http://www.wsgforum.com/vforum/private.php?s=&action=newmessage&userid=9768

Thanks again Slick!

Jackson

Posted by Slick1 on 8-24-03

Casting full anonymity charitable giving aside for just a moment, I would like to issue an incentive. Well, actually anonymity will prevail since Slick1 is not my real name. Anyway, if some fellow board members step forward and make pledges totalling a grand, I will match the thousand. Dollars, not pesos. I sure would like to see those kids get the extra oven they need or more. Now the members can just post the pledge or Jackson can post the total and then I'll match up to my max.

Admin
11-23-03, 02:14
Group Tour

Greetings everyone,

On Wednesday, November 26nd, I am planning to visit several comedores (soup kitchens that feed children) in the western Buenos Aires surburb of La Mantanza.

This will be my first visit to these particular comedores, the purpose is to meet the people running the charities, see their operation, and otherwise qualify them as potential recipients of WSG Charity food grants.

The process involves meeting the people in charge, seeing the children, completing a grant application, taking photographs of their facilities, etc.

Assuming that they are legitimate charities, I am planning to present them an on-the-spot grant of $250.00AR, as well as qualifying them for future grants.

I've done this several times already, and believe me these people are always happy that somebody cares about their work. In short, it's a heartwarming experience.

All interested persons are welcome to join myself and Andres on this visit. We will be leaving from my apartment in Recoleta at 11am, and will expect to return at approximately 5pm. Under the assumption that several of you will want to participate, Andres is arranging for a small passenger van with driver for the day, so there will be plenty of room for everyone.

Please let me know if you would like to participate:

jackson@wsgcharities.com?subject=Charity Tour

Thanks,

Jackson

Stand In
11-30-03, 20:26
Today, Sunday, Nov 30, 2003, about 1 am, I took a walk through the park in front of the Recoleta cemetery to see the handicrafts offered for sale.

In front of the church, there were two tall ladies in slacks soliciting money for the hungry children. One was very attractive. When the attractive one asked me for a donation, I said in English that I did not speak Spanish. She replied in almost flawless, educated English without hardly any accent, her request for a donation.

I replied that I had already donated towards the poor in Argentina and left.

It occurred to me later that WSG Charities could work with them. They looked legitimate, but who knows. Or, maybe Jackson is already working with them?

Hi Stand In,

I don't know them personally, but then there are certainly other organizations working in Argentina to solve the same problem.

Thanks,

Jackson

Admin
12-07-03, 18:42
Silvina and a Forum Member presenting Adelaida with a 250 peso grant.

As per the written instructions we gave her that day, a few days later she faxed a copy the receipts of the purchases she made with the grant money, thus qualifying her for future WSG grants.

Admin
12-07-03, 18:45
The view from the 2nd floor opening (they don't have any windows) looking out on the neighborhood.

Admin
12-07-03, 18:49
This is the cooktop that they use to feed approximately 100 children every day. One of our Forum Members has been researching the availability of used restaurant equipment and has discovered that we can buy used, commercial quality gas ovens for approximately 300 pesos each, so I'm considering making them another grant specifically for such a purchase. It's a simple matter of economics: If they have an oven, then they can bake bread.

Admin
12-07-03, 18:53
Adelaida Rodriguez, the founder and operator of the Sagrado Corazon comedor, with Silvina (Hands off! She's my girlfriend, and she doesn't work) and a Forum Member at the entrance to her house, which doubles as the location for her comedor.

Admin
12-07-03, 18:54
The street view.

Admin
12-07-03, 18:56
This is the scene from the street, looking down the alley to the entrance to the comedor.

Admin
12-07-03, 19:17
Greetings everyone,

As I've begun the task of qualifying potential recipients of the WSG Charity funds, I've decided to also begin posting some photographs of the comedors that are benefiting from your generosity.

On 11-19-03 I and another Forum Member, along with my girlfriend Silvina who acted as our interpreter, took a remis from our comfortable confines of Recoleta to visit several comedors on the north side Buenos Aires suburb of San Isidro.

One of our stops was to visit the Comedor Sagrado Corazon, a typical small comedor that provides lunch and dinner for approximately 100 children every day when they have the food. We were met by the comedor's founder, chief cook and bottle washer, Senora Adelaida Rodiguez, who was all to pleased to show us around.

Adelaida started her comedor in 1996, converting the second floor of her home into a dining room and kitchen, which is accessable by going through her own living room and up a stairway. She uses a gas cooktop to prepare a large pot of soup or stew comprised of whatever food is available at the time.

On this day we visited in the middle of the afternoon, and thus were not able to meet any of the children. However, the prior week I visited the comedor myself during lunch, wherein I observed the children and was greeted with a chorus of "Hola's" from the children who were patiently seated awaiting their lunch.

Adelaida's comedor receives no funding from the State or Federal government, or from any religious organizations. She does receive 150 pesos a month from the local municipality, and also donations of food from local businesses. As we were preparing her grant application (yes, everything the WSG Charity does is properly administrated and documented) and advising her that she was to use the 250 peso grant only to buy food, she asked if it would be possible to use some of the funds to buy additional plastic cups and plates, which I of course approved.

As per the written instructions we gave her that day, a few days later she faxed a copy the receipts of the purchases she made with the grant money, thus qualifying her for future WSG grants.

You can visit the WSG Charities website at www.wsgcharities.com (http://www.wsgcharities.com) to see more photos and to make an anonymous tax-deductable donation via PayPal, credit card or check. Please remember that the WSG Charity, Inc. operates with no overhead, and thus 100% of your contribution will go directly to the beneficiaries. Thank You!

ChicagoBoy23
12-07-03, 21:05
Well done. A donation to wsg charities is a small price to pay for all the fun we have in Buenos Aires.

Admin
12-09-03, 16:38
Here's a photo of Beatriz Pello accepting the WSG Charities grant of 250 pesos from Silvina.

I am pleased to report that Senora Beatriz faxed me the receipts of her purchases made with the grant as instructed in her grant approval letter, thus qualifying her for future WSG Charity grants.

Admin
12-09-03, 16:41
The evening's dinner of bread pizza and tomato sauce. Because Eridam has an oven, they can bake their own pizzas, which is more economical because buying flour and baking bread is cheaper than buying bread.

Admin
12-09-03, 16:43
The cooking facilities. Notice that Eridam has an oven as well as the minimal cooktop, this allowing them to bake bread, pizzas, etc.

Admin
12-09-03, 16:46
This is Eridam's kitchen just after serving lunch. Actually, this is Senora Pello's kitchen in her home, but that is the Eridam kitchen.

Admin
12-09-03, 16:52
This is the street view of Eridam's facility just one week after my first visit. I didn't recognize the difference with the new paint job and the sign.

On this day the children were waiting for the school bus to take them back to school after eating lunch at Eridam. The fact is that the public schools do not serve lunch, and thus many children either don't eat, or eat at a comedor if there is one in their neighborhood.

Admin
12-09-03, 17:02
The second comedor we visitied on November 19th was Comedor Eridam in Barrio Don Mariano in the north side suburb of San Fernando.

Comedor Eridam was founded in 2000 by Senora Beatriz Pello, who decided to convert her home into a comedor after her own two children died in a traffic accident. She serves lunch and dinner 6 days a week to approximately 100 children every day.

Comedor Eridam receives no funding or support from the Federal, State or local governments, or from the church. She operates the comedor on donations from local businesses and other private contributors. She also runs a weekly bingo game at the facility that raises approximately 300 pesos a month.

The comedor is licensed as a charity by the local municipality, although that's not a criteria for receiving a WSG Charity grant.

If you are interested, you may email Senora Pello at eridanb at yahoo . com . ar

You can visit the WSG Charities website at www.wsgcharities.com (http://www.wsgcharities.com) to see more photos and to make an anonymous tax-deductable donation via PayPal, credit card or check. Please remember that the WSG Charity, Inc. operates with no overhead, and thus 100% of your contribution will go directly to the beneficiaries. Thank You!

Slick1
12-09-03, 18:43
Hola Jackson,

I have a hard time believing that your driver was reluctant to take you to these facilities. Compared to the areas we toured on my recent visit these areas seem quite secure. Heck they even have paved roads and the children have clothes. If you can tell me, I would like to know if the last facility we visited in La Mantaza has sent back the required receipt paperwork. If they have , I would like to earmark my Thanksgiving dinner pledge directly to that facility since they were in such dire need of the most basic necessities. I know you gave me all the contact paperwork but I would like to insure compliance with the rules before I send more.

Also is it still tax deductible if I send it direct or should I just paypal again. Keep up the good work.

Slick

Hi Slick,

The driver I had on the first day was a unique combination of pussy+asshole, and I told the remis service later that day not to send him to me again.

On the other hand, the guy we had driving the van was extraordinarily cool, especially given the poor conditions of the roads. Maria M. spoke with him the next day, and he told her that he normally wouldn't have driven his passenger van onto those roads, except that he concluded early on in the day what our mission was, upon which he felt compelled to help in any way he could.

Yes, I did receive faxed copies of the receipts from each of the four comedors, including the last one we visited, "La Providencia" in Barrio El Porvenir, detailing the expenditures they made with the WSG Grant funds. If you wish, I will earmark your pledge specifically for them.

Thanks,

Jackson

OttoGraham
12-09-03, 19:20
Slick, I'm no tax lawyer, but I am pretty sure it's only tax deductible if you funnel your donation through WSGCharities.

-Uncle Otto

Jaimito Cartero
12-09-03, 19:48
It's really nice to see all the pictures and stories here. While most of us are a bit self involved in our pursuit of pleasure, it's nice to see us give back to the communities.

Thanks to everyone who went to these Comedors! Good work.

B69
12-09-03, 23:54
Report 2: WSG Charities event and the Thanksgiving diner

Well, here comes the promised second report.

WSG Charities:

First of all, though it has been posted already, I know, there is no doubt that we must commend the generous behavior of mongers such as Slick1, Otto Graham, Capt Dave and Jackson himself as Gran Coordinator, when he is not occupying the function of Gran Pleasure Dispenser to BA Chicas.

Well, on Wednesday the 26th, all these except Otto Graham (who unfortunately was not in BA) escorted by Andres, Stoly, Special K, yours truly and three other mongers ventured into the neighborhood of La Matanza to visit four comedores (that is soup kitchen) who attend to kids.

Quite frankly, I do not think anyone expected to see how severe the situation is. We all know Argentina is a 3rd world country in many aspects, but by staying in BA, we may underestimate the extent of the poverty. Anyhow, toys were purchased and small grants were delivered in hand.

This way we can all rest assured the money goes directly to whom really needs it, without any intermediaries.

I hope this other post of mine on this issue will help in promoting this cause.

On a more cheerful note, think about the following: should a Comedor be given an oven to bake bread, we would have to put a tag on it saying: “Donated by the World Sex Guide”!

Ironic, when you think about it, since these comedores basically do not receive much help from those who “think well” and gladly condemn our hobby.

The Gathering, that is, the Thanksgiving diner:

Mongers from all over the world came. It was great meeting many of them, from the infamous Kyck Stand to Sky Rider.

Jackson chose the appropriate place, a restaurant called Lola, which means tit (or breast) in Argentina !!

At Jackson's place afterwards, the donation jar filled up pretty well and a good amount was obtained which will be put, once again, to good use.

More to follow...

Admin
12-11-03, 16:54
Jorgelina accepting a 550 peso grant from one of contributors. (Slick1 passed me an additional $100USD to add to the grant while Andres and I were preparing her grant application)

Admin
12-11-03, 16:59
A group photo in front of the comedor's "building".

Admin
12-11-03, 17:01
Of all the comedors I've visited, this was the poorest and yet the best organized. Here's a photo of the folder they had prepared for our visit, including something I'd never seen before but needed every time I visited a comedor: A map showing how to get there!

Admin
12-11-03, 17:02
A view of the children sitting at a dining room table waiting to be fed.

Admin
12-11-03, 17:03
This is the wood stove they use to cook on when they run out of bottled gas for the stove.

Admin
12-11-03, 17:04
A photo of the kitchen with a couple of the mothers preparing dinner.

Admin
12-11-03, 17:05
The children opening the toys.

Admin
12-11-03, 17:06
A view of the "road" we took to get into the neighborhood.

Admin
12-11-03, 17:07
This is the view of the front of the house where the comedor is located.

Admin
12-11-03, 17:26
Our last stop of the day was at Asociacion Civil Carisma in Barrio El Porvenir. We were met at the nearest highway exit by Omar Lopez, a friend of the comedor, who guided us into the barrio. This was undoubtly the poorest neighborhood we visited that day, as you can see from the condition of the road we took to get there.

We were met at the comedor by Jorgelina Duarte, the comedor's director, who showed us around their facility. I think the photos and narratives that follow will give you a good idea of what we encountered.

We concluded our visit by presenting Jorgelina with a 550 peso grant. Following the grant instructions to the letter, I received copies of the receipts for her expenditures via fax a few days later, thus qualifying the comedor for future WSG Charity grants.

Slick1
12-11-03, 18:28
Hey Jackson

I am real happy to hear that all of the centers complied with the rules. I have just paypaled my matching pledge from the Thanksgiving dinner. Although I think I pledged to match up to your request for 500 pesos, I decided to go 500 US instead. I figured Otto Graham might need a little more incentive this holiday season. He knows I'm just kidding as there are only winners from the friendly psuedo-competition amongst attorneys that you created. Please earmark this money for "Carisma" since those children seemed most in need. In the future I will get an interpreter to help me contact that facility, for it is my intention to try to help them as much as I can in the future. I am grateful to participate in your drive to spread the money around but I would like to be there for this center when the temporary bandaid wears out. Sort of like an adopt a center program. As we learned that day from this facility, a 100 peso donation goes a very long way in filling up the cupboard with basic necessities. For any of you that have been to BA in the winter, take a good look at the buildings and try to imagine how cold these kids can get. Coincidentally, my date for the dinner just happened to be raised near one of the centers, and the first thing she said when told of our endeavours was with regards to how cold the winters were. As I mentioned in a prior post, none of us are capable of changing the world but we are all capable of influencing greatly a small part of it. Thanks again.

Slick1

OttoGraham
12-11-03, 19:59
Oh God.

I gotta get the checkbook out.

Again. :D

Jackson, we'll have to make that a cool US$1,000. :D

-Uncle Otto

Admin
12-16-03, 18:37
The comedor's director, Señora Martina Elsa Samaniego, accepting the WSG Grant of 250 pesos from a Forum Member. You can't see if from this photo, but Señora Martina had tears running down her eyes as she personally thanked every member of our group.

Admin
12-16-03, 18:39
The children assembled in a group photo in front of the comedor's building.

Admin
12-16-03, 18:40
The children in a group photo at the outside dining table.

Admin
12-16-03, 18:43
A Forum Member distributing the toys to the children. It was obvious that many of the children had never seen a packaged toy before. as they simply held and marveled at the box itself until members of our group showed them that they could open the boxes and actually extract the toys, especially the Barbie dolls.

Admin
12-16-03, 18:45
Cooking lunch on the outside stove. You can see why they are building a kitchen.

Admin
12-16-03, 18:46
Preparing lunch, which was comprised of flour tortitas that were subsequently deep fried.

Admin
12-16-03, 18:47
Building a new covered kitchen.

Admin
12-16-03, 18:48
The view of the street leading into the comedor's neighborhood.

Admin
12-16-03, 18:49
The third stop of the day was at the Comedor Una Mano Solidaria. We were met by the comedor's founder and director, Señora Martina Elsa Sameniego, who led us to the center of operations in the back yard of her home. Our timing was perfect as we observed the day's lunch of flour tortillas being rolled flat and deep-fried, all being performed in the open air.

We also observed the construction of a small shed-size building that will serve as their new kitchen when completed. They were constructing the new kitchen building using recycled bricks, a used window and volunteer labor.

Sitting at the outside table waiting for their lunch to be served, the children were presented with the toys that Slick1 and Worldwide Hole had purchased earlier.

The view of the front of the comedor's building, which is also the founder's personal home.

Admin
12-20-03, 19:15
This is the photo of Señora Susana accepting the WSG Charity contribution of $250ar from a member of our group.

Admin
12-20-03, 19:16
Due to the timing of our arrival, we missed seeing the children on this day. This is a photo of the toys we left for the children.

Admin
12-20-03, 19:18
This is the wood stove that they use outside to prepare dinner on the days that they don't have any propane gas.

Admin
12-20-03, 19:20
Their refigerator broke recently, but Señora Susana was insistent upon showing us that they were utilizing their freezer to keep perisiable food. She further explained that they would periodically remove items throughout the day that could not be allowed to freeze.

Admin
12-20-03, 19:21
This is their kitchen, with the typical large pot for preparing the daily meal of stew.

Admin
12-20-03, 19:22
The view of their dining room.

Admin
12-20-03, 19:23
The street scene in front of the comedor's location.

Admin
12-20-03, 19:26
The second stop of the day was at the Comedor Corazón Valiente. We were met by the comedor's founder and director, Señora Susana Molina de Tapia, who showed us around their facility.

Our timing was not good this afternoon as we missed arriving at the comedor in time to see the children.

This is a view of the comedor's building as seen from the street.

Admin
12-26-03, 00:56
Señora Mirta Bustos accepting the $250AR WSG Charities contribution from a member of our party.

Admin
12-26-03, 00:57
The comedor's soccer team trophies.

Admin
12-26-03, 00:58
The Dining Room.

Admin
12-26-03, 00:58
The kitchen and gas cooktop.

Admin
12-26-03, 00:59
A group photo.

Admin
12-26-03, 00:59
The street scene in front of the comedor's building.

Admin
12-26-03, 01:00
The first stop of the day was at the Comedor Capullo Feliz. We were met by the comedor's founder and director, Señora Mirta Bustos, who showed us around their facility.

Our timing was not good this afternoon as we missed arriving at the comedor in time to see the children.

This is a view of the comedor's building as seen from the street.

Admin
12-26-03, 01:01
On 11-26-03, the day before the WSG Thanksgiving Dinner, 11 guys boarded a passenger van for a day-long excursion to the western BA surburb of La Matanza. Our mission that day was to visit 4 comedors, meet the operators, view their facilities, and otherwise qualify them for WSG Charity grants.

Our trip was organized by my friend, Maria M, an executive with an import/export bank in BA. After reviewing the list of potential comedors I had prepared, she called them to obtain further details, and after agreeing on what we both thought were the best four canadates, she called them back and scheduled our day.

Maria also researched several van rental companies until she found one that wasn't afraid to drive into La Mantaza. She relayed to me her conversation with the driver, wherein she explained that we wanted to go into La Mantaza, and that other van companies had expressed reservations that it was too dangerous, whereupon the driver responded "I hope it's not dangerous, because I live there."

We met at 11 am at my apartment, boarded the van and proceeded to our first stop: The toy store wholesalers on Azceunaga. Many of you know this street because it's also the one that Madahos is on, abet 20 blocks away. After some hard bargaining, we purchased enough toys to fill four large bags, including barbie dolls, soccer balls, toy trucks etc.

We made four stops that day, although I'm going to chronical them in reverse order here so that they will eventually get displayed in the correct sequence.

The names of the comedors we visited are:

Comedor Capullo Feliz in Isidro Casanova
Comedor Corazón Valiente in Barrio La Juanita
Comedor Una Mano Solidaria in Barrio Los Pinos
Asociacion Civil Carisma in Barrio El Porvenir

Admin
12-28-03, 19:19
Greetings everyone,

My friend, Maria M, who many of you met at the WSG Thanksgiving Dinner, and who organized our Matanza trip, recently received a telephone call from Señora Silvia from the Una Mano Solidaria comedore. I thought I'd share the conversation with you:

Dear Jackson,

Today I received a call from Silvia from "Una Mano Solidaria" who was absolutely overwhelmed by the "miracle" that took place last week. She told me that with the money donated they had built the floor and purchased flour and sugar. This was great since, with each rain, the comedor got flooded due to the lack of flooring.

The kids were crazy about the toys, for all of them it was the very first time they received a toy. Some of the 11 year old boys had never owned a football, and you know what soccer means in this country. They decided that toys basically will remain at the comedor and the kids will take turns at borrowing the toys and returning them to the comedor the next day - very much like a library.

The teachers told Silvia that the kids didn't stop talking about the gentlemen that had visited them and the "funny" way in which they talked.

All the mothers talk of little else but you. Silvia's mother still cries every day when she thinks of all of you and your visit.

I just thought you would like to know what a difference you made to the lives of all these people and how much so little can have an impact on their lives.

Please post this message on the board and let them know that "Una Mano Solidaria" is very, very thankful for your contribution.

Maria

All it took was one $250AR ($86.00 USD) contribution.

Thanks,

Jackson

Member #3430
12-29-03, 17:18
Hey Guys!

Jackson and I are trying to get a return trip to this (and some other) comodores between the 2nd and the 6th of January.

Anyone in town who wants to come along should contact on of us.

You will have a day that you will remember long after the memory of your last CBJ has faded....

:)

David

Mad Max
12-29-03, 19:31
Dave,

If you guys can go Monday 5th or Tues 6th count me in.

Mad Max out.

Hi Mad Max,

Actually, those were exactly the days we were thinking about going, because Jan 7th is some sort of Christian holiday (Three Kings Day?) that is celebrated here in Argentina, and it's a traditional day for children to receive presents (yes, I know, just a couple of weeks after Christmas). Anyway, the plan was to visit the comedores with a large bag of candy ($12USD) and make another 250 peso donation to help them start the New Year.

Let me or Capt Dave know via a PM.

Thanks,

Jackson

Slick1
12-31-03, 03:23
Hey Jackson and Capt. Dave

Wish I could be there with you. I loved to read the letter you recently posted from Maria. Until now I had mainly thought about the impact our recent visit to Matanzas had on me. It is very rewarding to recieve confirmation that our arrival had such a significant impact on their lives as well.

Happy Holidays guys.

Slick

Slick1
12-31-03, 03:39
Oh by the way, I forgot to add. Speaking of El mano Solidaria, If you look at the 2 shots Jackson posted of the children there. The beautiful little girl who happens to appear in the far right of both shots, I will never forget how she clutched the doll in the box to her chest for almost the entire hour we visited. She was not going to let that doll out of her sight. Another little girl brought tears to my eyes at the last center when she waved to me as I stood out by the bus. I wondered why this tiny beautiful child stood alone by the corner of the center far from the other children. Minutes later I realized she held the string in her hand to a little pull toy hidden around the corner. This Toy was hers.

There was also the little girl who after being told that the toys were for all the kids, just asked for permission to run home just so she could show her mom the doll. And she did return with the doll.

Jackson. Tell Maria the significant impact of that trip went both ways.

HappyGoLucky
01-08-04, 19:01
Hey Jackson!
I made a contribution through PayPal on December 19, 2003, but I don't have the Charities designation under my handle. Hope to see you sometime in February for an extended stay. Keep up the good work!
-Hap

Exon123
01-09-04, 00:51
Jackson its the new year I think you should make everyone anti up again --- Exon

Sainter
01-09-04, 04:45
Jackson, Do the charities that you help out know that they are getting their funds from a "mongering" organisation? If so, does it sit well with them? I mean, do they raise any eyebrows when told about the WSG?

I'm not being critical. I was just curious that's all.

Jaimito Cartero
01-09-04, 04:52
Sainter - I'd like to think that we're a bit more than mongers at heart. I think that saying the money is coming from a group of foreigners who care about the children of Argentina is true and further explanation is unnecessary.

Hi JC and Sainter,

What I tell them is that the WSG Charity is an organization of MEN who visit Argentina regularly and who have decided to do something for the children of Argentina.

Thanks,

Jackson

OttoGraham
01-09-04, 14:38
Well said Jaimito!

Let's start 2004 off right. I'm hereby throwing $100 into the pot to get the New Year started off good!

-Uncle Otto

Sainter
01-09-04, 14:54
Sorry for offending you guys. It wasn't my intention. I'll gladly match your $100 donation Otto.

I think I'd better learn how to use this "paypal" thing. Not sure if they have this in Oz.

OttoGraham
01-09-04, 15:41
No offense taken, mate.

As for PayPal in Australia, it's free. Check this
link (http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/approved_countries-outside).

-Uncle Otto

Member #3430
01-09-04, 20:52
Exxon

I hate to see a comment like "time to make the guys ante up again". Giving to the charity is something you should do if it gives you pleasure, and only if you can afford it.

Most of us can afford to give something, but if you can't, helping distribute the food and funds when you are here is VERY helpful and will open your eyes to how much these people are doing with so little. It will be a day that you will remember for a long time, I promise.

By our count, a $20 bill will feed one child for a month, so even though some of us can afford more, even a small donation will help someone.

The commodores Jackson has selected get no help (or almost none) from anywhere else, and are generally the most needy.

David

Actually, I calculated from known past expenditures that it costs approximately $60.00 to feed a child every day for an entire year.

Thanks,

Jackson

OttoGraham
01-23-04, 18:10
What terrific good WSG Charities is doing!

On Wednesday I visited four soup kitchens ("comodores") run in the Buenos Aires suburbs. The four I visited were recently highlighted below in this thread. By posting here, I want to give you some feedback about the great things your donations are doing.

I don't want to bore you with all the details, but briefly I can describe that these soup kitchens are all very small efforts put together with the cooperative efforts of women and men living in very poor suburbs of Buenos Aires. While there is not squalor of the Haiti type, these are poor areas with, for example, unpaved dirt streets, jerry-rigged electric systems, and only basic water and sewer systems (if that!).

Typically, the kitchens provide food to children, mothers, and occasionally fathers living in their local community. These are people who, if not for the soup kitchens, might not have a proper meal at all that day! Upon visting each of the four, I was struck by a number of things - first, the people are justifiably very proud of their efforts to help the kids in their neighborhoods. Typically the boss is a 50-something matriarch who saw a need and acted on it. She loves the kids in her community as if they are her own, and believe me, the kids' eyes shine when they look at her. And even though I didn't deserve it, HER eyes shined at me when we discussed how we are helping her out through our charity. In each of the four places I visited, the mama in charge grabbed me, kissed me, and gave me a hug as if I were an old lost friend, and not a visitor coming round to say hello and leave a 250 peso donation.

Second, there are many mothers and fathers from the community who are helping out by cooking, doing maintenance, or other of the myriad of chores which come with running such an operation. It is not just the efforts of one person, but whole groups of people that make these soup kitchens go.

Third, I was struck by the order and cleanliness of the operations. Everywhere I went it was obvious to me that while these people in the soup kitchens were poor, they were not slobs. Lunch at one of the soup kitchens was on while I was there, and believe me, the wonderful smell of the chicken and rice filled up the air all around.

Finally, I was impressed about how they make the donations from WSG Charities and other sources go a long way. At a number of places, I saw improvements made that directly came from our donations (and believe me, our donations AREN'T very large, on the order of about $85 a month per soup kitchen). New ovens, to be used in baking bread, are on the way for several of them. A new floor was being installed in the kitchen of one. At another, a large outdoor barbeque grill was purchased so as to do cooking by using free firewood collected by the kids and adults - so as to save on purchasing propane. The poorest of the four recently stocked up on pasta, beans, and other non-perishable staples, filling up a cabinet which heretofore had been all too empty, all too often.

The money which many of you have donated has done wonderful things. I saw it with my own eyes this week. Since they say a picture is worth a thousand words, I urge you to go look at the photos posted later on in this thread. These are places where we are making miracles happen. And I say that with the utmost sincerity from the bottom of my old, cynical heart, which is now just a bit less cynical than it used to be!

-Uncle Otto

Jaimito Cartero
01-23-04, 18:44
Jackson - Wow, 18 cents a day to feed a kid. That's totally remarkable. I'm planning on being in BA around Easter time with my family, but would like to do something with the comodores while I'm there. Let me know if you have a special Easter run, or anything else I can do while I'm there.

Traveler287
01-26-04, 00:42
WSG Charities has excellent Goals!

WSG is run with almost no administrative costs and is funded by "a group of men who visit BA regularly and want to help the children and poor have at least one daily meal". The local soup kitchen volunteers provide a needed service and really appreciate any donations received. I plan to continue to make a $$ donation each time I visit because I know that the people here really need the help that my dollars can provide. Plus, I really do like the BA lifestyle and the people of this beautiful city.

This site does not pressure anyone to make donations. Everyone is free to make their own personal decision concerning WSG donations.

Thank You - Jackson, Otto, Maria M and all others who volunteer their time to assit the soup / meal kitchens for the local BA children and poor. Keep up the good work.

The Pirate
01-27-04, 23:56
I would like to make a cash contribution to the WSG Charity during my BA visit next week. Should I drop that off with Jackson?

Thanks,

The Pirate

Hi Pirate,

I will be back in BA next Thursday. I'll send you a PM with my cell phone number.

Thanks,

Jackson

MeatMan
01-31-04, 19:58
I'm very happy now that the money I give goes to good use. All it takes is 18 cents to feed a child for 1 day! Wish more contributors to the WSG would give a little.

And NO overhead! that I like most!

Admin
02-10-04, 04:53
A final photo of Senora Angelica, her husband, Senora Angelica #2, and a couple of Forum Members, under the sign in front of the Association's entrance.

Admin
02-10-04, 04:55
A photo of the community Christmas tree in the main dining room.

Admin
02-10-04, 04:56
A view of some of the purchased goods piled on the dining room tables awaiting storage in the Association's pantry.

Admin
02-10-04, 04:58
Unloading the truck back at the Association's location.

Admin
02-10-04, 05:07
This is the photo of the complete food contribution purchased with the contributions raised at the Thanksgiving Party.

This purchase cost approximately $1,700 pesos ($600.00 USD) and includes several 50 kilo bags of flour, 10 kilo bags of sugar, 90 chickens, 50 kilos of beef, bulk cereal, cooking oil, cheese, canned peas, butter, mate, macaroni, rice and other sundries.

In addition to this purchase, I gave Senora Angelica an additional $200AR to be used later in the week to purchase fresh vegetables at the local market and ice cream for their upcoming Christmas dinner.

Admin
02-10-04, 05:23
On November 27th, at the WSG Annual Thanksgiving dinner at Lola's restaurant, I gave a short presentation updating the attendees on the status of the WSG Charity and simultaniously advised them that there would be a contribution jar on the bar at the ensuing chica party at my apartment for those who might be motivated to make a contribution.

Befitting the kind of men that are members of this Forum, I am pleased to announce that we raised $840.00USD that evening, which was earmarked for the The Asociation Civil El Nino y La Familia in Quilmes, which was the beneficary of the Charity's first food drive at last years dinner.

A few weeks later, on 12-19-03, with the benefit of Roxana's organizational help, Andres, Capt Dave and myself took a remis to visit the The Asociation Civil El Nino y La Familia in Quilmes to accompany them to the local Makro store and supervise the expenditure of the funds.

Previous to arriving at the Association's location, we stopped off at the toy wholesaler district and purchased approximately $200USD worth of toys for the children, including Barbie dolls, soccer balls, toy trucks, etc. We bagged these toys in trash bags so we could deliver them to the Association quietly so as to allow them to distribute the toys at their Annual Christmas Dinner the following week. Unfortunately, I neglected to photograph this portion of the contribution, but I think you get the idea from the similar photos of the other comedores.

We were met at the Association's location by Señora Angelica, her husband, and Señora Angelica #2, her second in command. We immediately departed to the local Makro store, and the following photos detail the trip and the purchase.

I was invited back to visit them the following week and attend their Christmas Dinner, but unfortunately that specific morning found me awakening in a tangled mass consisting of myself and two chicas, so I wasn't able to make the event and thus I don't have any photos to show you. Of course any visiting monger(s) were also welcome to attend, but there was an accute shortage of AMA members in BA the week before Christmas. Maybe next year.

My thanks to everyone who made a contribution to the Charity at the Thanksgiving Dinner Party!

Cherrycoke
02-20-04, 01:46
Hi,

From reading the below reports it seems the WSG Charity is doing a great job.

I would very much like to make a donation, but could someone possibly tell me what kind of things/benefits my money might purchase?

I appreciate the money does indeed go to where it is needed, but would there be any way of finding out where my money goes to if I made a donation?

I read the regular updates but would love to hear my donation had helped a certain place/person.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Maida Vale.

Slick1
02-22-04, 04:07
Maida

Having gone on one of the trips to the various commedors I can assure you everything you give goes to a good cause and directly to those in need. Nothing is eaten up in administrative expenses and the money truly does provide the basic necessities of life for those in dire need and without a system of governmental support to rely upon. Food, fuel, an oven etc... all are provided with the aim that these tiny children may have a meal in their stomach. The people running these shelters are good people and Jackson has installed a system which insures compliance with the rules on how the money is to be spent. While I have earmarked money to a center that truly moved me on my trip, I can assure you that your money will go to those in need whether you designate it or not. If you go to BA contact Jackson and I urge you to take a trip to these centers. At a minimum, you will be reassured that no matter how much you give, you CAN make a difference in someone elses life. Thanks for your interest.

Slick

OttoGraham
02-23-04, 15:28
Maida,

Principally, the thing your money goes toward is food.

Secondarily, capital improvements to the soup kitchens, including paying for new roofing, new cookstoves, new storage facilities, et cetera.

There is no overhead from the WSG Charities perspective, because donations are directly made to the recipient institutions, who then account for their purchases to WSGC (typically by faxing copies of food purchase receipts back to us). Costs of dispensing assistance, such as they are, are generally borne by Jackson and/or the donors who deliver the aid to the soup kitchens. For example, in January I delivered 1000 pesos in donations to four soup kitchens in the Western suburbs (photos of the institutions are down in this thread, as well as my description of my trip). In order to deliver these donations, I hired a car and driver to take me around to the soup kitchens, at a cost of 110 pesos. I paid this amount out of my own pocket. Thus, there were no "admin expenses" incurred by WSG.

That's the long answer to your question. The short answer to your question is that your donations go to feed needy kids.

-Uncle Otto

Jaimito Cartero
03-04-04, 02:01
I hope to visit some of these commedors while I'm in BA at the end of March and in April. Ideally would be March 31-April 3 and April 10-12. If Jackson or anyone else is going, I'd like come along.

I know some people have mentioned that they brought some toys with them, or other stuff from the states. If you can give me some guidelines on what you brought (and if you bought them in BA or brought them), I'd appreciate it.

Slick1
03-04-04, 04:56
Jaimito

There is a street over near Jackson's apartment that is lined with discount toy shops. He will know the name. No need to bring the toys down with you. They are very cheap, but for a child that has never recieved one they are priceless. The looks in their eyes will repay you many times over. Enjoy.

Slick

Jaimito Cartero
03-05-04, 18:38
Well you don't have to give a lot to help out. I prefer to give to people in person most of the time, and to do it in a proactive manner. I'd done a bit with some families in Costa Rica, and the effects are wonderful.

I go to Asia, Central and South America and am amazed at how people can live happily on so little. I know a family of 10 in Costa Rica that lives on a little over $100 a month. They have no electricity, running water, phone or a car, but they turned a vacant plot of land into a farm in a years time.

I was rather poor when I grew up in the US, but in comparison I was wealthy to most of the world. It is nice to give a little back.

Jackpot
03-06-04, 22:09
El Jefe,

Will you be organizing a toy buying tour and distribution in the near future? Maybe this could be an agenda item at the next AMA meeting?

I have 12 days left to show my appreciation for the wonderful times WSG has provided and want to put something into the hands of the kids rather than pesos.

Going to Bariloche for 4 days, and I´ll be back on Thursday, 3/11.

Please advise.

Jackpot

Hi Jackpot,

Damn, I wish you had sent me a PM about this. I didn't read in until 3-17. We made a tour of all the locations just last week.

Jackson

Jaimito Cartero
03-18-04, 01:43
I'll be in town on the 30th of March. I'd like to go to some of these commedors on April 1-3. Let me know if anyone is planning something, or we can set it up.

The Pirate
06-27-04, 20:10
Jackson,

I would like to drop off a donation while I am in BA. Will you be around the first two weeks in July?

Stay Safe,

The Pirate

I'm here until August, just send me an email and I'll send you my cell phone number.

Thanks,

Jackson

Member #3430
11-05-04, 12:32
Sometime during the week of Nov. 15, we will have another sorte into La Matanza to deliver the Pre Holiday donation.

Any mongers in town should contact Jackson or me if you would like to come along.
It takes pretty much a whole day to visit the 4 commodores in La Matanza, but it is a feel-good day you will remember for a lot longer then the mediocre blowjob from what's-her-name you got last night, and will also show you what 2 or 3 hundred pesos is REALLY worth in Argentina.
It can only help with your chica negotiations when you realize that bimbo at Ness wants the same amount (or more) of money a commodore uses to feed 50 kids for a month!

David

Admin
12-14-04, 17:53
WSG CHARITIES SANTA CLAUSE TOUR

Greetings everyone,

Thanks to the generosity of the guests at the recent WSG Thangkgiving Dinner, we raised more than $2,500AR specifically earmarked for the WSG Charities Annual Christmas Toy Drive. Much thanks to all the contributors who made this a reality.

Yesterday, Silvina and I visited the toy wholesalers in Once to buy the toys for each of the comedores. Now, $2,500ar goes a long way in BA, but let me tell you, after Silvina finished negoiating with the wholesalers (actually, "beating them up" is a more accurate description of the conversations), we left with a truck filled with everything from small toys for infants, to dolls and toy trucks for kids, to Barbie dolls and soccer balls for the older children. Altogether we purchased individual toys for more than 350 children, along with other toys and games specifically earmarked for each of the comedore.

Therefor, I am pleased to announce that I have scheduled a visit to the WSG Charity's four La Matanza comedores for Monday, December 20th, leaving my building in Recoleta at 11:00 am.

All interested persons are invited to accompany myself and others as we visit the 4 comedores.

The plan is as follows:

I've arranged for a van to take us on the tour. First, we will stop by one of the toy stores in Once to make a few last minute purchases, then we will commence to the western surburb of Mantanza where we plan to spend perhaps a hour at each location where we will be greated by the adults who run the comedores and as we distribute the toys to the children. Of course, we're also going to be dispensing the usual $250ar monthly grant to each of our beneficaries.

This should be "feel good" day for anyone who participates. Be sure to bring your cameras. However, just to give you a little incentive, please read the email I recieved from Maria M. regarding her conversation with one of the comedores after our visit last Christmas:

Dear Jackson,

Today I received a call from Silvia from "Una Mano Solidaria" who was absolutely overwhelmed by the "miracle" that took place last week. She told me that with the money donated they had built the floor and purchased flour and sugar. This was great since, with each rain, the comedor got flooded due to the lack of flooring.

The kids were crazy about the toys, for all of them it was the very first time they received a toy. Some of the 11 year old boys had never owned a football, and you know what soccer means in this country. They decided that toys basically will remain at the comedor and the kids will take turns at borrowing the toys and returning them to the comedor the next day - very much like a library.

The teachers told Silvia that the kids didn't stop talking about the gentlemen that had visited them and the "funny" way in which they talked.

All the mothers talk of little else but you. Silvia's mother still cries every day when she thinks of all of you and your visit.

I just thought you would like to know what a difference you made to the lives of all these people and how much so little can have an impact on their lives.

Please post this message on the board and let them know that "Una Mano Solidaria" is very, very thankful for your contribution.

MariaI'm planning to rent a 12 passenger van, so there should be plenty of room for anyone who wishes to participate. We will leave Recoleta at 11am and should return at approximately 6:00 pm.

Please send me an email at Jackson@ArgentinaPrivate.com or call me at 15-4048-2827 and I'll be pleased to give you the directions to my building and other details.

Thanks,

Jackson

Admin
12-18-04, 21:58
Gentlemen, I'm really surprised.

Last week I posted a notice that I was making a trip on Monday to deliver toys to more than 350 children in 4 comedores. As of today, not one single guy visiting or otherwise living in BA has RSVP'd.

Guys, this is so easy:

1. The trip is free.
2. The 12 passenger van is air-conditioned and very comfortable.
3. We leave at 11am from my apartment in Recoleta.
4. We will return at approximately 6pm.
5. The van will return you directly to your hotel or apartment.
6. You'll have plenty of time to pursue your usual nighttime activities.
7. We will be visiting 4 comedores for less than an hour each.
8. We will be giving out toys to more than 350 children.
9. Everyone can participate.
10. There'll be dozens of photo opportunities.
11. It's a great "feel good" day.

Silvina and I can make the trip alone, but it's a lot more fun with a group, so if you'd like to join us, please send me an email Jackson@ArgentinaPrivate.com or call me at 15-4048-2827.

Thanks,

Jackson

Starfe
12-19-04, 01:28
You are being hard on the boys. It can get exhausting reaching in and out of your wallet every time you speak to a girl. Most of the B.A. studs are up to the wee hours of the morning and need there beauty sleep. Were talking about some of the greatest PFP love machines of this or any other generation.

Starfe

Thomaso276
12-22-04, 02:21
I had the pleasure of going along for the annual Xmas gift giving to the comedores on Monday. Let me tell you guys, Jackson and Silvina are probably the most organized folks in the country. Scores of toys were bagged and prepared for both the boys and girls. The donations from the dinner bought enough presents for all the kids. The van was on time and the trip was mapped out. Nothing was left to chance. Autopilot is a word that comes to mind. I do not know where Jackson and Silvina get the time to do these things and to do them so well.

Adults and the children of the comedores was waiting when we arrived. Man, these kids were so polite and pleasant. The adults and parents treated us like visiting dignitaries. The kids appreciate whatever extra they have and the emotions of receiving toys were something to see. Some kids would not take their toy cars or dolls out of the hard plastic package, preferring instead to hold it tightly and treat it like a special keepsake. Soccer balls were a big hit. My girlfriend, who comes from a very poor background in western Argentina was very touched. All the members who went along were great folks, very humble and helpful, it was a very special day. Thanks to each of them for making the effort to attend. It was well worth the time to experience something special.

I could not go last year because I was in the States. I plan on attending every year as long as I am here. Happy holidays to all.

One Tree Hill
12-22-04, 02:30
Thomaso,

Thanks for that report. I wish I could have gone. I plan to make a few contributions and hopefully go next year.

Jackson - you are doing a good thing!

JavMav
12-22-04, 02:52
Have to second everything Thomas said, except the idea that all who were there were helpful. It took me 30 minutes to pick up fast food, and then I ruined half of it.

The kids were awesome. They were naturally respectful, polite, and pleasant. Not in a contrived sort of way, but very genuine. You could see a real sense of community as the older kids, boys and girls, took care of the younger ones. The adults that ran the comedors had hearts that filled the tiny facilities.

Jackson and the WSG participants were awesome, too. It was obvious that everyone was there just to do a little something for a lot of kids, not to feel good about him or herself. Regarding girlfriends, you all have chosen each other well. They are compassionate people.

For those not intimately familiar, these kids WSG helped are a special kind of poor. The areas visited are rather vast networks of dirt roads densely populated with one-story brick, tin and wood dwellings. Many of the 'houses' were abandoned by the original owners and are occupied by squatters. This complicates matters, as government support in these areas is informal. I didn't notice carpeting, HVAC, hot-water heaters or insulation anywhere. The sewage system has deteriorated to the extent that much of it runs through open ditches.

People have donated their 'homes,' or space in their homes to provide quasi-daycare facilities. They have come to be known as comedors. Jackson and CO. identified these as the focus for WSG Charities, having provided presents, supplies and gas ovens to the comedors. This was a significant improvement as cooking was previously accomplished in indoor/outdoor open-flame barrels or the equivalent.

The experience is NOT depressing however, as the spirit of the children and adults is quite healthy and moving. Yesterday was a very happy day for many of them, and all of you who contributed time or money should be very proud.

Thank you guys for having me tag along, despite my status as dead-weight. Perhaps I can contribute more significantly in the upcoming year with additional time and effort.

Jav'

Member #3430
01-08-05, 17:53
Hey Guys

A few weeks ago Maria Molinari's company (Standard Charter Bank) donated 3 old IBM computers to be refurbed and given to the comodores.
We want to install them and the charity will pay the monthly connect fee (19 pesos/mo.) to give them Internet access. This would also also allow them to email us with special needs.

The trouble is they are old Pentium 1 class machines with tiny hard drives, no CD ROM's, no modems, and require 66 mgz. simm memory.

The old IBM bios won't recognize any hard drive bigger then 8 gigs.

SO.......

If anyone is heading down this way and has any of that kind of stuff lying around, we could really use it.

Please email or PM me if you have any questions about the kind of stuff we need to get these things up and running.
Free admission to any mansion party to anyone who shows up with a piece of hardware we can use!

Thanks !!!

David

Jaimito Cartero
01-09-05, 01:33
The trouble is they are old Pentium 1 class machines with tiny hard drives, no CD ROM's, no modems, and require 66 mgz. simm memory.

The old IBM bios won't recognize any hard drive bigger then 8 gigs.

I've got lots of older stuff, but I usually took the HDs out to put in the new machines. 8 gigs are pretty darn small. I won't be coming down until May, but will bring some stuff down then if you still need it.

Admin
05-03-05, 16:28
Greetings everyone,

The Argentina Forum has been moved to:

www.ArgentinaPrivate.com

If you were a WSG Senior Member OR if you had ever posted in the Argentina Section of the WSG prior to April 1st, 2005, then you are already registered as a member in the new Forum.

If you are not already registered at ArgentinaPrivate.com, then you are invited to become a member. Registration is free, and new member activations are done every day.

Thanks,

Jackson