PDA

View Full Version : Carnaval in Brazil

Pages : 1 [2]

Eros74
02-25-09, 18:49
I love the floats and costumes but the repititive Carnaval music drives me crazy....Hearing it over and over again is pure agony.

Maybe it is just me.

At least we are in two here.... even the small carnival here in floripa drove me crazy and today that it is the first day without it.... I feel 10 years younger :)

Jan 156
02-25-09, 21:39
Results in case anyone else is interested:

1. Salgueiro
2. Beija-Flor
3. Portela
4. Vila Isabel
5. Grande Rio
6. Mangueira

:D

Benjoe
02-26-09, 01:43
Results in case anyone else is interested:

1. Salgueiro
2. Beija-Flor
3. Portela
4. Vila Isabel
5. Grande Rio
6. Mangueira

:D
The scores that the judges gave for each of the criteria for each school will be printed in the newspaper, O Globo, tomorrow (Thursday). Probably other newspapers have the scores, but I've seen them in O Globo.

Gavazzi
02-26-09, 02:05
I love the floats and costumes but the repetitive Carnaval music drives me crazy. Maybe it is because as a younger man I played trombone professionally and other than drums, it seems to be the instrument of choice. Hearing someone with no concept of how to play an instrument play a song once is painful. Hearing it over and over again is pure agony.

Maybe it is just me.You are not alone. The song where they sing something like "bateria lala" just keeps on ringing in my head now 2 days after!

By the way a friend told me that Porto da Pedra was going to the "final" but when I look at the rank they ar no 10, maybe they recount result? How many goes to final on Saturday?

Jan 156
02-26-09, 16:31
As far as know -

The top six parade on Saturday in reverse order. I can´t imagine a recount. Don´t know if the full breakdown (of the marks of 40 judges, four for each category) is in O Globo, but it is in O Dia.

Music - I wish I knew how this works but it´s like flipping a switch. The only similar memory I have is of salsa. All salsa music sounded the same till I discovered a love of the dance and the music. Then the intricacies become apparent and it is truly ´music´! It´s a bout making an emotional connection, so then the music speaks to you. A suggestion - find a school you like or feel a twinge for, find out about it, whether it´s the theme* or the history or the social programs it runs in its neighbourhood or whatever. At some point maybe something will happen that touches your heart. Then the music works.

I´m not a soccer fan but I imagine a similar thing happens when you like a sports team. Otherwise it is all the same thing, over and over again, grown men knocking a ball around . . .

*Some of the schools´themes are easier to appreciate than others. Beija-Flor has a very clear storyline about bathing through the ages, purofying and cleansing thru washing etc. Whereas Salgueiro was a bit of a mystery to me. A friend has just been explaining some of the emotional connection, how the connection goes back through Condomble and so on. The enthusiasm for Salgueiro on Saturday will be pretty ecstatic.

Marpa
02-26-09, 18:11
Carnival Roots

The origins of carnival date back to the ancient Greek spring festival in honor of Dionysus, the god of wine. The Romans adopted the celebration with Bacchanalia (feasts in honor of Bacchus, the Roman equivalent to Dionysus), and Saturnalia, where slaves and their masters would exchange clothes in a day of drunken revelry. Saturnalia was later modified by the Roman Catholic Church into a festival leading up Ash Wednesday. It quickly evolved into a massive celebration of indulgences - one last gasp of music, food, alcohol, and sex before Lent - before the 40 days of personal reflection, abstinence, and fasting until Easter (not exactly what the Church probably had in mind). 40 days of purging sins, preceded by a week filled with virtually every known sin. The word itself comes from Latin, "Carne Vale" or "Farewell to the Flesh".

AFROPOP

I think you got lost in translation. "Carne Vale" does not mean 'farewell to the flesh' but a 'feast of meat'.
Roman Catholics used to Fast for 40 days before Easter (called lent) starting from Ash Wednesday by abstaining from meat.
Nowadays this annual Fast has been brought down to only 2 days, Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

George90
02-26-09, 19:59
I think you got lost in translation. "Carne Vale" does not mean 'farewell to the flesh' but a 'feast of meat'.
Roman Catholics used to Fast for 40 days before Easter (called lent) starting from Ash Wednesday by abstaining from meat.
Nowadays this annual Fast has been brought down to only 2 days, Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

I remember that Fat Tuesday was also called Pancake Tuesday when I was a child. I read somewhere that due to the fasting in Lent, certain foods had to be entirely consumed before Ash Wednesday. I think lard was one of those foods. A huge feast was prepared to use up all the lard and the foods forbidden during Lent. A main dish was pancakes.

Sunset Strip
02-27-09, 07:09
I remember that Fat Tuesday was also called Pancake Tuesday when I was a child. I read somewhere that due to the fasting in Lent, certain foods had to be entirely consumed before Ash Wednesday. I think lard was one of those foods. A huge feast was prepared to use up all the lard and the foods forbidden during Lent. A main dish was pancakes.

I heard the same thing a couple of days ago on CNBC's Fast MOney. They said it was milk one the foods eaten in large quantities before it went bad. Thus the made pancakes. There was something else (eggs?)

TJ

Jan 156
02-28-09, 04:12
Maybe of interest to some – hope it´s not too off-topic. I think it is maybe a way to connect at the emotional, gut level.

You´ll find many Candomble terms in the Carnaval songs (or ´African-Brazilian folklore´ references). Beija-Flor, for instance, mentions Yemanja (Goddess of the sea, giver of life – candles are lighted on the beach at midnight to her), Oxum (a water Goddess), Odaya (a salute to Yemanja) and Oxala, the highest divinity (also in the Viradouro and Tijuca songs).

For what it´s worth, I´m going to describe a Candomble ritual I had the good fortune to attend. I was accompanied by a University chap who was doing a related Ph.D, but have since had similar explanations from both Catholics and non-Catholics (they tend to agree on the psychology, if not on the theology).

I fell out with a lot of people trying to get to a Candomble ritual, even though they are numerous (you can find them advertised in O Globo). One official tourism guide gave me an address where I should go to be baptized (a Christian Church). Others looked at me as if I wanted to practice black magic. I knew they were wary of strangers, and also in out-of-the-way places, mostly favelas.

We went late one night to a location I know not where, down tiny streets. The ritual tonight was ´Festival of the Child´. We enter the temple and it´s a regular enough building, spotlessly clean as you´d expect of any religious place of worship. In the outer reception area - a semi-circle outside of the main hall and inner sanctum – are shrines to all the major religions. Candomble respects them all. In the main hall of worship we sit down in pews very similar to a low key Christian place of worship. There is a central area where the priest will do his thing and where I am not allowed to go – but I can watch everything from where I am sitting.

First of all the drummer comes. He uses the double-ended tambor drum, sacred to Candomble (and which has been the subject of threatened lawsuits by the Candomble church when some Christian churches tried to use it in the 1990´s). There´s a lot of incense and he dances as he drums. The dance is very similar to samba but isn´t samba. The two are closely related as they are both inspired by the drumming. I´ve seen people dance themselves into a trance using drums elsewhere – in Bali – where the trance is similar to that of voodoo and results in total possession. But the atmosphere here is like a Sunday afternoon congregation. But with this weird goings-on as part of the service. Families are in attendance with young children. Somehow I am not anticipating anything freaky.

Freaky it wasn´t. But definitely weird.

The drumming is very intense, but the drummer is not the main participant. We hear a cry from the floor above. It is a sign that the priest has become possessed of the spirit. I´m not sure of the name of the Candomble god/spirit-guide invoked, but he has a sacred day on the calendar – today – the Day of the Child. The priest enters in ritual costume and bearing an enormous cigar. Everything is dominated by the sound of the drum. This goes on for quite a while. And he keeps puffing. Then select members of the congregation enter the inner sanctum as the spirit moves them. The priest breathes the cigar smoke into their face and they inhale it (which seems most unhealthy seen by someone coming from a country where smoking is frowned on!) The idea is that the spirit is passed on in this way.

Members of the congregation start dancing to the drums, many of them with babies´ dummies in their mouths (symbolizing they have received the spirit of the Child).

The next evening, I see a brave young woman sitting on a bus still holding the baby´s dummy in her mouth . . .

The Salgueiro (winning) theme is called Tambor. Now I knew that drums were central to Carnaval but I didn´t know what the Tambor Drum symbolized or how important it is to the African-Brasilian tradition. You can, of course, draw parallels with Christianity and other traditions (Oxala is sometimes identified with Christ Crucified, Yemanja with the Virgin Mary), but they also have their distinct, passionately held identities. Especially in the favelas and poor districts, which are where all the samba schools competing in Carnaval live.

To me, the Salgueiro parade looked tacky – lots of silvery bits and glitter. But I could easily have thought a man blowing cigar smoke was silly. Tambor traces the identity of the Brasilian people from its African roots (other parades have celebrated Portuguese or other connections). But I think you can perhaps glimpse why Salgueiro has struck a chord.

I´m going to try to watch it with new eyes tomorrow . . .

Sprite13
03-07-09, 07:35
Greatly interesting post as usual Christopherd on condomble. Much appreciated!

I was at the Sambodromo both nights (sunday and monday) and was able to see most schools except the first 2 and half on Sunday night (Imperio, Grande Rio and most of Vila's parade). I was totally blown away by the sheer magnficience of parade. I have never seen anything that can even remotely be compared with the Rio carnaval. Just out of this world. An experience that I would suggest anyone should at least experience once in their lifetime.

I am a big time samba lover, so to me it was also very emotional as I have been following the parades for the past few years on TV Globo at home and I have all the dvds of the past few years carnavals. But being there at the Sambodromo was something that no words can describe. Total ecstasy at least for me as I am much very into samba.

I thought Portela had a mangificient show, very beautiful, specially the first 2 floats with the giant eagle (their symbol) and the giant wolf! Amazing!

Mangueira also touched a chord with Brasilians as it talked about their roots and with a little bit more daring, they could have fought for the title. The samba enredo was very catchy and to the point.

Viradouro, as always, had the best bateria that made everyone jump and dance even at almost 6 am when they paraded on tuesday morning. They also, like Salgueiro, used a lot of african deity and condomble connection. My brasilian friend got very touched by their enredo.

Beija Flor, as always, were simply outstanding. Almost perfect parade in every sense, but it seems that the judges were a tad tired of seeing them win yet again as they had already won 5 of the past 6 years titles.

Salgueiro, didn't swallow their 2nd place last year to Beija Flor by the tightest of margins and this year, were back with a lot of hunger to win it and they all gave a stupendous performance. Quinho, the legendary singer of Salgueiro as usual transcended not only the paraders but the crowd at the Sambodromo. I am glad they won as they are one of my 2 teams (the other being Viradouro).

All in all, a grandiose spectacle, unrivalled anywhere on Earth. Even the school that finished last in the Rio Carnaval, would blow out of the water even the grandest Broadway production ever or Vegas show! That's how incredible is the Rio parade.

I personally can't wait for next year's Carnaval. I already know that next year, I will be assisting to the parade from a camarote as it is worth every penny even with a price tag of 2 grands per night.

Long live Carnaval. Long live Rio. Long live Brasil!:)

Jan 156
04-01-09, 22:25
I expect the Carnaval lovers have already got their official DVD by now. Just thought I´d mention something I picked up today though - just from Casa & Video in Botofogo of all places. It´s a (multilingual) documentary called Imperatriz do Carnaval. Describing the preparations (according to the cover - haven´t watched it yet).

Jan 156
04-04-09, 03:14
I expect the Carnaval lovers have already got their official DVD by now. Just thought I´d mention something I picked up today though - just from Casa & Video in Botofogo of all places. It´s a (multilingual) documentary called Imperatriz do Carnaval. Describing the preparations (according to the cover - haven´t watched it yet).

Have managed to have a quick look at these - the official DVD (a double album) is rather disappointing. Goodness knows how they managed to use 2 DVDs on it. You get each enreido once through but not even all the floats, much less all the different wings. The English commentary translates parts of the songs and skilfully manages to discuss the African roots (see post below on Condomble) while soft-pedalling some of the overt criticism of the Catholic Church. Typically Brasilian ;) (I bought it in Modern Sound, though for some reason it's not yet on their website - which also does mail-order - seach for 'Escolas de Samba'. Previous years here (http://modernsound.com.br/ingles/buscapalavra.asp?tipobusca=8&codproduto=8&txtBusca=carnaval). Plenty of other websites carrying it - even eBay!)

The other DVD (http://www.imperatrizdocarnaval.com.br/) is excellent and not at all touristy. It also provides a beautiful multi-faceted view of Rio and its people. Clips on the official site just mentioned. Buying it may be another matter. Casa & Video don't list it - maybe a remaindered item. Had a quick look online and saw it advertised here (http://www.arenadvd.com.br/arenadvd/product.asp?pf_id=CT41254&dept_id=20) though there may be easier places to buy it.

(Just noticed there's an English version (http://www.imperatrizdocarnaval.com.br/redframe.htm) of the site too.)

Sprite13
04-04-09, 08:19
Christopherd,
I am looking to get this dvd in the next few days. How much does it go for in the stores in Rio? Just curious. It is listed on Ebay at $50 bucks!

Do you know if lojas americanas or any other brasilian store or chain would ship overseas?

Thanks.

Jan 156
04-04-09, 09:32
Christopherd,
I am looking to get this dvd in the next few days. How much does it go for in the stores in Rio? Just curious. It is listed on Ebay at $50 bucks!

Do you know if lojas americanas or any other brasilian store or chain would ship overseas?

Thanks.

I think I paid 19R (19.99 - something like that). I was just browsing on the way somewhere else and it was an odd copy in the cut-price racks. I've no idea who ships overseas (I think ModernSound does, but not much help on this DVD). It seems it's quite a famous movie in its own way (on IMDb too) - just not very available! I imagine the escola might know or have copies (or there's a contact email on the official website - might be worth a try). Sorry can't give you more leads just now :(

Speaking of hard to get DVDs, anyone got a link to buy Banda AR-15 DVDs? I'd particularly like the Live in Macapa one.

Jan 156
04-04-09, 17:42
Did you get anyone to record any Carnaval live off the O Globo channel, Sprite?

Sprite13
04-05-09, 06:21
Chris,
No, unfortunately, I didn't get anyone back home to tape it for me. I wish I had tough. Now I have to be content with the crap summary version that Globo makes.

Did you get anyone to record any Carnaval live off the O Globo channel, Sprite?

Sprite13
05-30-09, 05:53
Just an update for anyone interested in getting the Globo "best of" of the Rio Carnaval 2009 dvd. It used to be good in the previous years, with reasonable amount of time spent on each schoool's parade. This year's series is UBBER crap as they cut considerably on the length of time per school. Only 11 minutes per school which is nothing as it barely skims not even the surface of the surface of the parade. Being a hard core Carnaval fan, I felt cheated by this year's dvd that Globo made. I have the series from 2005 and the best ones to date were the 2007 one as they spent 25 minutes per school giving a pretty good idea of each schools entire parade.

This year is missing one of the key component's of the parade completely: a bateria or the drum section which is the heart of the school's parade. Also missing are the rather very detailed and knowledgeable analysis of Dudu Nobre (a very famous Carioca sambista) on the bateria and the samba of the schools when watching it in Portuguese.

Note to self for years to come: skip the crappy Globo version and instead have a friend tape the entire parade to watch after the carnaval.

Christopher or anyone else who's hardcore into samba and carnaval, do you guys know of any compilation or dvds that spend a bit more time on each school's parade, like say 15 to 20 minutes per school with 25 being even better? IF yes, please post it here.

Valeu. :)

Jan 156
05-30-09, 10:54
Christopher or anyone else who's hardcore into samba and carnaval, do you guys know of any compilation or dvds that spend a bit more time on each school's parade, like say 15 to 20 minutes per school with 25 being even better? IF yes, please post it here.

No, I wish I did. Imperatriz do Carnaval is great for that school if you can get it but more of an overall journey that climaxes in the parade.

The CD of songs is good value IMO - pleased I bought both. The DVD has a massive flaw of course - it doesn't include the bit of the parade that I'm in lol.

Benjoe
05-30-09, 18:18

Quality is not always great, but YouTube can fill-in some of the gaps.

Fui.

Jan 156
06-03-09, 16:16
Quality is not always great, but YouTube can fill-in some of the gaps.

Fui.

I'm not sure it does, although there's a lot of stuff there. What I do find online is some nice press photos. Some are good enough to blow up and frame.

Bottom line I think you have to give up and admit the experience can't be bottled.

One thing I do remember when parading is all the rich frickin tourists (inc many Brasilians of course) concentrating solely on getting a good picture or video. That was probably me the day before to an extent too. But then you get to the poor crowds and they are just cheering and singing the song with you and dancing in the aisles. Those are the people I felt I performed for (as well as me lol). They made my heart burst. They were sharing the experience.

If you don't totally focus on the experience, no amount of photos or videos can bring it back. Cos it was never there in the first place.

Benjoe
06-24-09, 23:00
I'm not sure it does, although there's a lot of stuff there. What I do find online is some nice press photos. Some are good enough to blow up and frame.

Bottom line I think you have to give up and admit the experience can't be bottled.

One thing I do remember when parading is all the rich frickin tourists (inc many Brasilians of course) concentrating solely on getting a good picture or video. That was probably me the day before to an extent too. But then you get to the poor crowds and they are just cheering and singing the song with you and dancing in the aisles. Those are the people I felt I performed for (as well as me lol). They made my heart burst. They were sharing the experience.

If you don't totally focus on the experience, no amount of photos or videos can bring it back. Cos it was never there in the first place.

YouTube can help to quickly answer some questions. Two years ago, I wanted to see how Viradouro did the bateria on a car maneuver. 3-4 years ago, I wanted to see how Grande Rio's cars were censured. Most years I want to get a general sense as to how an enredo was explored and executed. YouTube has been quite helpful in getting guick answers to questions.

Erectus Indicus
11-18-09, 08:33
Is there a way to buy directly from these chaps ?

http://liesa.globo.com/2010/por/19-ingressos/19-ingressos_principal.htm

Jan 156
11-21-09, 10:37
Is there a way to buy directly from these chaps ?

http://liesa.globo.com/2010/por/19-ingressos/19-ingressos_principal.htm

Liesa is the official source, not an agency. You can go along to the Liesa offices and they tell you which tickets are available from where. They will also tell you when, or when to look out for a decision, or when the official announcement will be made on those particular tickets. It changes every year. Tickets are sold in different blocks at different times mostly, I imagine, to maximise income. If you are not buying in person, it is very much more difficult, or expensive, or both.

Locals will keep up with announcements, what tickets are to be sold on which day, and swoop appropriately on the outlets as designated by Liesa. Other blocks of tickets are reserved for agencies, who can sell them for considerably more. The most expensive is probably a nice English-speaking western-style agent who arranges the 'carnaval experience' lol. Most reasonably priced tickets (reasonably priced according to the official Liesa base price), are not avalable on the Internet.

Erectus Indicus
11-22-09, 14:16
Thanks mate ! I dug up another link (http://rjtv.globo.com/Jornalismo/RJTV/0,,MUL1367372-9101,00.html) according to which on Feb 6th I can try to buy a R$10 ticket as the last resort ಠ_ಠ

Liesa is the official source, not an agency. You can go along to the Liesa offices and they tell you which tickets are available from where. They will also tell you when, or when to look out for a decision, or when the official announcement will be made on those particular tickets. It changes every year. Tickets are sold in different blocks at different times mostly, I imagine, to maximise income. If you are not buying in person, it is very much more difficult, or expensive, or both.

Locals will keep up with announcements, what tickets are to be sold on which day, and swoop appropriately on the outlets as designated by Liesa. Other blocks of tickets are reserved for agencies, who can sell them for considerably more. The most expensive is probably a nice English-speaking western-style agent who arranges the 'carnaval experience' lol. Most reasonably priced tickets (reasonably priced according to the official Liesa base price), are not avalable on the Internet.

Jan 156
11-25-09, 01:55
Thanks mate ! I dug up another link (http://rjtv.globo.com/Jornalismo/RJTV/0,,MUL1367372-9101,00.html) according to which on Feb 6th I can try to buy a R$10 ticket as the last resort ಠ_ಠ

If you're there on Feb 6th you should be early enough to get a decent ticket at a reasonable price. If it's all a bit new and overpowering (even the Olympics will be peanuts by comparison), the tourist info place on Princesa Isabel is pretty helpful. They will explain where to go in Centro. Once there you might have to chase from one building to another, but it all gets a lot clearer as you persevere with it. Alternatively, I found the agency in Prado Junior pretty good - this year they sold me some tickets at only a reasonable mark-up over the base price. (I got different tickets from different sources for different days of the competition parade, including days I was parading).

The very cheap tickets are ok - great unpretentious atmosphere in the crowd - one of my favourite sections when I was on the parade ground as the swell of emotion is so genuine and unaffected. But the view is pretty crap. You could politely jostle to get closer to the front in some aspects, but you are at the very end of the parade ground, just before they pack up.

I think I bust a seat in one of the fairly cheap end sections one night. A lot of us were standing on the seats to see. They were all joined up with a girder of sorts running underneath. My colleague from ISG was taking the [CodeWord140] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord140) a bit (in a nice way) over my 'samba' as I uncontrollably started moving my feet a little bit to the rythmn. Suddenly the whole friggin lot collapsed duh. No-one was hurt, it was ok, but that was the end of the standing on the seats for our row. It was a brilliant night. I'm sorry my colleague and his girlfriend had to leave early. I think it was the champions parade. I'd realised I hadn't really seen much of our schools awesome parade as you can't see much when you are actually in it! So although we had come second I skived off and got us some tickets to watch the whole thing. Pretty awesome. But the first place winners really deserved to win. My eyes are even a bit moist with the memory of it as I'm writing and the sound of the songs is still inside my head.

The posh touristy section and the one right next to it was a mass of people jostling to get the best camera angle. F*cked off with them when I was parading. No eye contact, no-one much bothered about joining in the songs, and most of the smiles are very controlled.

Some carioca friends said their fave section was the second one along from the start and I can see why. It's reasonably priced and you get to see the school parade almost as soon as they come onto the parade ground (rather than waiting half an hour for them to get down to your bit). It's also one of the easiest sections to get to on the night as you don't have far to walk from Presidente Vargas.

Sprite13
11-25-09, 07:34
Thanks Chris and Bingoman for posting this info. I am too looking for ways to procure tickets at reasonable and local prices as opposed to the over priced gringo one. Chris, if you don't mind me asking you, how much did you pay for the tickets for Seitor 7 last year while buying it in Rio? I bought my tickets for the Seitor 7 for both nights for about US$300 for each night from
http://www.rio-carnival.net/ . They're a good solid company, very efficient but with gringo prices.

Used it last year as it was my first Carnaval, but this year, I'd like to get tickets at local prices.

Erectus Indicus
11-26-09, 21:57
Mate, you are awesome. Thank you Sprite, for sharing the price you paid, it gives me an idea of prices i should expect.

I did read previous posts about the how the crowd exhibits the true spirit of the Carnaval than the touristy parts and was planning for one day in the touristy section and one day in the grandstands. If you can tell me if it would be safe to pull a camera out in the grandstands, it would be nice.

I plan to try to buy a ticket on 6th even if I get other tickets, since the experience seems interesting. If you can pass along the details of the agency you mentioned, that would be great but only if you are ok with that.

Jan 156
11-28-09, 02:55
If you can tell me if it would be safe to pull a camera out in the grandstands, it would be nice.
Yes, it's pretty safe. The whole of sambodromo is crawling with security. Usual safety rules once you get outside though and you have to take normal precautions.

If you can pass along the details of the agency you mentioned, that would be great but only if you are ok with that.
Not sure if you meant the one I mentioned in Prado Junior, but if so, although I can't remember the name offhand, there's only one I think. It's on the Ipanema rather than the Leme side. On the same section and roughly opposite Bar Prado (middle section - between NS Copa and Viv.Min.dCastro). But there's no guarantee as I've said. But you can get a list of the official base prices easily enough and then try three of four agencies in the vicinity (there's a few on Isabel and that section of NS Copa) to see who offers the best deal. It tends to change from day-to-day depending on availability, and the differences between agencies on any particular day might not be that much.

One other thing I should mention so it doesn't come as a shock to anyone. When you buy your ticket in, say, Copa, you will hand over your money and possibly just get a voucher/receipt. They will tell you which day to come back to exchange that for the real ticket. They only get the real tickets (issued by Liesa I think) at the very last minute for security reasons. By then, they hope to have sold most of them.

If you buy tickets in Centro, it may be an official outlet that Liesa decides to use for certain types of ticket, such as a particular bank branch. In which case, you'll might well get the actual ticket without a return trip.

On the actual night, you'll exchange two parts of your ticket as you go through two levels of security and get rewarded with a plasticised pass that you can hang around your neck to allow you to come and go from your permitted sector easily. This is important in case anyone goes the route of buying a ticket off a tout outside the sambodromo. Sometimes they will try to sell off one part of the ticket only (which is useless). I've not bought from a tout yet, but if anyone does, make sure you check all the details carefully - including whether it's for the right night!

Sprite13
11-28-09, 08:38
Chris,
Once again a big kudos for all the details you're providing for the rest of us about your extensive experience with the Carioca Carnaval.
Now, when I bought my tickets for the 2009 Carnaval from www.rio-carnaval.net last year, I received a voucher by email that I had to print and go to the Rio Othon Palace (2nd floor) which was very convenient for me as I was staying there! They had an entire area was set up for the Carnaval tickets. I went there, showed my email confirmation along with IDs ( I think they asked for my passport) then they gave me the real ticket (the one that is plasticised that you can hang around your neck) for both nights.

Bingoman, here's one solid advice I can give you:
If you want to get a ticket in the grandstands/bleechers or arquibancadas in portuguese, make sure you get there early!I made the mistake of showing up quite late the first night last year as we were coming from a last minute stop at L'uomo :D, we had the worst view possible, standing way back up where I could only see glimpses for the first hour or so. The thing to do to get a good spot is you come early. By early I don't mean showing up before 9pm just when the show is about to start. By early, I mean come around 7 pm and I would even suggest to come around 5pm to get the very best seat. In seitor 7, these are on the far left side of the seitor at the very bottom where you have a view as good as those on the other side in the private vip boxes. Do bring a packpack full of drinks and snacks that you can purchase at a local supermarket or some burgers at bobs. Inside the Sambodromo, snacks are very overpriced and it's very difficult to move from your spot to the snack vending area. So yes, it can be fun to be among the Brasilians in the grandstands, but please, come early if you want to get a good seat!

Chris,
How is the view in the allocated chair in seitor 6? They look good from the site and the prices they have for this week is very tempting at $134/ticket/night!

Also, how easy is it to get tickets just 1-2 days before the parade in Rio? Last year, I came in Rio just 1 day before and I got some flyers on the streets which looked very good (like a seitor 7 for 250R as opposed to the $300 bucks I paid online from the above mentioned site). I am tempted on getting a seitor 6 for the first night, then get a ticket in a better sector for the 2nd night while I'm in Rio.
Btw, are you going to be parading this year again, hey Chris?

Thanks again for your knowledgeable contribution.

Erectus Indicus
11-28-09, 10:47
Sprite/Chris, your practical advice is much appreciated. From what I read on the LIESA site, the prices haven't changed much/at all since last year.

I think I will take Chris's idea and go for one night at 7, one at 5 and one at 6 or 13 (winner's parade). Going to hazard the last one, trying to buy tickets once I get to Rio.

Jan 156
11-28-09, 13:38
Hi Sprite. My experience is not that extensive really. More trying to give a flavour from what I remember. May have got a couple of details wrong about the point I got the plastic bits - yep, those are the actual tickets. The middle sectors are technically unobstructed cos the seats (concrete steps) are on a very steep incline. You can see right along the parade ground. But there's lots of people with hands permanently in the air holding cameras and stuff so not perfect. The end sectors, the view is a bit crap, but the floats tower above you.

Not parading this year - am deliberately tearing myself away to Belem and other parts of Brasil a few days before competition. Otherwise I'll just eat sleep breathe carnaval again. But may go to some technical rehearsals esp BF or Portela. Have never bought tickets online so don't know about that.

Excellent advice about getting there early.

Jan 156
12-03-09, 23:47
Chris, if you don't mind me asking you, how much did you pay for the tickets for Seitor 7 last year while buying it in Rio? I bought my tickets for the Seitor 7 for both nights for about US$300 for each night from
http://www.rio-carnival.net/ . They're a good solid company, very efficient but with gringo prices.

I've just come across my list of what I spent last carnaval on my tickets: It was 70R, 340R, and then 510R for Sector 7. Which is not that much less than what you paid.

I do think it's good to experience it from different sectors. And don't forget the champions parade, which is excellent value.

Jan 156
12-04-09, 02:23
Just going thru more of my stuff from earlier in the year and came across this which is maybe a useful base guide (official price) of tickets in the bleachers.

Admittedly, I'd prefer a front box, a fenced off bit with actual seats for six people, maybe in front of sector 4 or 5. That's the actual dog's bollox view (although I wouldn't say no to a posh one across the way with Mr Lula if someone else is paying). But I think it's all proportional to my capacity for appreciation, which is still developing. Otherwise it's like taking a fine wine from the best cellar and serving it to someone who only drinks beer. Yes, I love Carnaval. But can I say I appreciate it the way someone who has grown up with it? I wouldn't dare to say that.

Anyway, bleachers prices:
Reading left to right:- Sector, competition Sunday, competition Monday, and (the following weekend's) Champion's Parade. Price in Reis.

ARQUIBANCADAS ESPECIAIS!

03 . . . 180, - 180, - 120
04 . . . 110, - 110, - 70
05 . . . 240, - 240, - 150
07 . . . 300, - 300, - 180
11 . . . 200, - 200, - 120

ARQUIBANCADAS TURÍSTICAS

09 . . . 550, - 550, - 350

ARQUIBANCADAS POPULARES

06 . . . 10, - 10 , - 5
13 . . . 10, - 10, - 5

Sprite13
12-18-09, 07:07
Chris,
Are these the 2010 prices or 2009's prices?
I remember last year while walking on Avenida Atlantica during Carnaval days, I got a few flyers from touts that were claiming for example seitor 7 for 250R.
Here's a question to you and anyone who can answer: I'd like for this year a ticket in a section that is close by the recou da bateria/the place where the bateria stops during the parade. I hear that section 9 is good but is gringo's section and is overpriced. Any other suggestions gents?

Tx.

Sprite13
12-18-09, 07:21
Chris,
Nevermind, I got the answer to my question about whether the prices you quoted are for 2010 or 2009 in this link:
http://liesa.globo.com/2010/por/19-ingressos/19-ingressos_arquibancadas.html

They sound a lot more interesting price wise than the ones found on the gringo sites. LOL I see that there is a Rio # listed to place orders. Quick question: do they accept orders from outside of Brasil by non Brasileiros or only from Brazucas from Brasil? If that's the case, I might have a friend in Brasil do the ordering for me.

OT: look at the prices for the camarotes!
http://liesa.globo.com/2010/por/19-ingressos/19-ingressos_camarotes.html

Shit! That's quit a bit of cash! It's weird that the prices for a camarote is way cheaper on the gringo targeted site than it is posted on the official LIESA site! Or is that also part of the Brasilian logic? LOL

Jan 156
12-18-09, 13:41
I suspect you'll find a lot of tickets can only be purchased in person (or through a travel agent). I know it looks chaotic, but they've been doing it for long time and you could say they've got it pretty sewn up in a weird, Brasilian -type way!

Yep, the camarotes are serious pennies. I almost bought a seat there last (this just gone) year. From a rather high society lady who had a spare one in her party. Fuck it. It's nice to wish.

Sprite13
12-19-09, 08:16
I suspect you'll find a lot of tickets can only be purchased in person (or through a travel agent). I know it looks chaotic, but they've been doing it for long time and you could say they've got it pretty sewn up in a weird, Brasilian -type way!

Yep, the camarotes are serious pennies. I almost bought a seat there last (this just gone) year. From a rather high society lady who had a spare one in her party. Fuck it. It's nice to wish.See what is truly f'd up if true is that on the official LIESA site, the camarotes are quite expensive (the cheapest one being at 17.5KR) while say on a gringo targeted site like rio-carnaval.net (which is excellent btw, as that's where I got my tickets for the 09 Carnaval), a camarote seat there is listed at just under $US2K! Now, what gives? Anyone able to explain the logic behind this? Or are the prices on the LIESA site for the entire 12 seat table and not per person? Could it be?

Oh well. LOL

Sperto
12-20-09, 09:06
Amazing what people are prepared to pay to enjoy themselfes.

An abadá for participating in the bloco Camaleão (Chiclete com Banana), in the Salvador Carnival cost over R$ 800/day.
http://vendas.centraldocarnaval.com.br/produto.asp

A "male" ticket to the Nana camarote cost between R$ 500-600/day.
http://vendas.centraldocarnaval.com.br/produto.asp?tipo_prod=02&limitacao=04

Luckily, being Pipoca cost nothing. :p

Vidal41
12-24-09, 23:37
Contact Mr. Glenn Dillard of WWW.RIOWILD.COM if you want affordable living arrangements in Rio de Janeiro state.

You can't beat his customer service and lodging prices.

Auriflama
12-29-09, 08:48
I am looking forward to hear the 2010 version of beija flor's carnaval tune. Last year it was sub par for them so I am looking for a comeback from beja flor.

Jan 156
01-09-10, 22:34
Just jotting these down for my own benefit and thought I'd pass them on -

Technical rehearsals

17 Domingo São Clemente 7pm, Viradouro 8pm, Grande Rio 10pm

23 Sabado Imperatriz 10pm

24 Domingo Mangueira 8pm, Unidos da Tijuca 10pm

These are rehearsals to give the schools a chance to work out things like timing. They're not in costume (though if you're taking part you're expected to wear the 'rehearsal' shirt.) It's a fun way of hearing your fave school's new song (next Beija-Flor one is not till February). The big schools get a good turn out of supporters and it's free. Just turn up at Sambodrome (on the way to Mimosa, haha).

full list on the Liesa site

Jan 156
01-09-10, 22:44
I am looking forward to hear the 2010 version of beija flor's carnaval tune.

Try here (http://liesa.globo.com/2010/por/03-carnaval10/sambasenredo/beijaflor/beijaflor_principal.htm#trecho) and scroll down for audio.

Last year it was sub par for them so I am looking for a comeback from beja flor.

Yeah they gave me the wrong costume ;) ;) ;)

Still came second though. It's just that Salgueiro were overpoweringly awesome :) But I though Portela had the catchiest tune. Made me almost wanna jump ranks lol!

Sprite13
01-11-10, 06:08
Thanks for posting this Chris, that's an awesome list.
Usually when do these rehearsals start? Is it in December? January? Or earlier?

Btw, are you parading with any school this year?

Thanks.

Just jotting these down for my own benefit and thought I'd pass them on -

Technical rehearsals

17 Domingo São Clemente 7pm, Viradouro 8pm, Grande Rio 10pm

23 Sabado Imperatriz 10pm

24 Domingo Mangueira 8pm, Unidos da Tijuca 10pm

These are rehearsals to give the schools a chance to work out things like timing. They're not in costume (though if you're taking part you're expected to wear the 'rehearsal' shirt.) It's a fun way of hearing your fave school's new song (next Beija-Flor one is not till February). The big schools get a good turn out of supporters and it's free. Just turn up at Sambodrome (on the way to Mimosa, haha).

full list on the Liesa site

Sprite13
01-11-10, 06:13
I am looking forward to hear the 2010 version of beija flor's carnaval tune. Last year it was sub par for them so I am looking for a comeback from beja flor.

This year's Beija Flor enredo seems awesome, talking about Brasilia, the capital. I've listened to all the Enredo's for this year and they are great, some of them are very catchy, like the Viradouro, the Mocidade and Vila Isable's one. This year's Carnaval seems to be a great one.

Btw, is the Champions Parade worth attending? I will be arriving in Rio after the 2 night's parade and I am considering attending the Saturday's Champions Parade. Anyone attended that before?

Jan 156
01-12-10, 00:47
Yeah, rehearsals start about Decemebr - just picked up the Liesa guide today but am posting from a Net cafe so do not have it with me. Champions Parade - good value I suppose as you get the schools that did best. Might have been my imagination, but last year I thought the champs parade had more nudity and was more wild (no need to kiss up to the judges lol).

Auriflama
01-12-10, 08:33
Try here (http://liesa.globo.com/2010/por/03-carnaval10/sambasenredo/beijaflor/beijaflor_principal.htm#trecho) and scroll down for audio.

Yeah they gave me the wrong costume ;) ;) ;)

Still came second though. It's just that Salgueiro were overpoweringly awesome :) But I though Portela had the catchiest tune. Made me almost wanna jump ranks lol!Thanks for the info, The new music sounds terrific. I like some of t shirts beija flor has on their site but it seems they are not unavailable for retail.

Jan 156
01-12-10, 22:15
I like some of t shirts beija flor has on their site but it seems they are not unavailable for retail.
Easy enough to buy when you get here. Officialy at the Nilopolis parties, or at BF´s Samba City venue, or knock off BF stuff everywhere (eg Uruguiana).

Jan 156
01-14-10, 16:07
don´t read if you are easily offended on religious issues

I noticed in Saara that incense to the Candomble deific entities is now openly on sale, which is nice. Ogum, Oxala and the like. These are the African elements of Carnaval.

If you look at the lyrics to the Carnaval samba songs you will find frequent candomble references which help to understand the spirit of the songs.

When the songs are translated in the Americanised O Globo official DVD, such sections are delicately omitted to avoid causing offence (read ´escape persecution´). The situation (for those interested in the psychopathology of culture and religions) forms a parallel to that of Europe, where the officially, politically tolerant brand of Christianity gives way to the non-tolerant forms of Islamism. In Brasil - which is far more multi-faith than official statistics would have us believe - Candomble is officially tolerant: it is a syncretic religion (which means it formally accepts all other gods). Roman Catholicism is the conquering (non-tolerant) force in this sense.

Carnaval is a fascinating blend. Catholics can trace the connections to Easter and believe it is wholly linked to Christianity. Wheareas those more in tune with the African elements can see those links as something of an after-thought. Take the top two winning enredos / themes from last year. Beija Flor invoked the gods of candomble, in a story of purification through bathing through the ages. The Catholic prohibition on bathing in the middle ages formed a major section of the parade (including the section I was in - my fantasia costume being that of a creature that infests the body when bathing is prohibited). It is remarkable balancing act. The winning entry (Salgueiro) focussed entirely on the African roots and tradition of the tambor, the drumbeat. The religiosity, when present, hardly seems a factor in judging - there are far more important things. But it is a big part of the culture and understanding what many of the stories are about.

You can go to a Candomble ceremony - they are generally open to the public (and often listed in O Globo) - though I have only done so with a guide. The outer sanctuary includes shrines to the popular world gods - Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism etc (interestingly the candomble incenses are branded under ´Bhakti´- the Indian yoga word for realisation through devotion to one´s deity). The actual rituals are very strange but quite homely for the most part. The music is superb and very pure. I managed to buy a CD of Candomble chants when I was in Belem and was listening to it as I soaked up the sun this morning on my verandah overlooking Isabel.

Jan 156
01-14-10, 18:38
I wonder if a few basic outlines might be helpful reference in this thread? (If not I´ll go home lol).

Here´s the desfile (parade) order for each of the two nights of competition for the Grupo Especial (The top samba shools). Each night starts at 9pm. You want to be in your seat much earlier than that, especially if you are in the bleachers. The night finishes about 4 or 5am. Things don´t run to time (this is Brasil - people are more important than timetables). But the delays are between parades (the schools are penalised if their performance overruns). Tickets are for inividual nights, not both combined.

Domingo (Sunday) 14th Feb
Uniao de Ilha
Imperatriz
Unidos da Tijuca
Viradouro
Salgueiro
Beija-Flor

Segunda (Monday) 15th Feb
Mocidade
Porto da Pedra
Portela
Grande Rio
Vila Isabl
Mangueira

Each school performs a theme. You´ll possibly enjoy it more if you get to know the story they are going to perform.*

Uniao da Ilha
Don Quixote

Imperatriz
Brasil, de todas os deuses

Unidos da Tijuca
Keep it secret!

Viradouro
Mexico

Salgueiro
Historias sem fin (never ending stories)

Beija-Flor
Brilhante ao sol do Novo Mundo
Brasilia, dream to reality, capital of hope

Mocidade
Paradise: God & Madness

Porto da Pedra
Com que roupa - eu vou?
Clothed in samba

Portela
Rio de Paz em estao de graca
Liberty & Peace

Grande Rio
Das arquibancadas - a ´Grande Rio´ of emotion!

Vila Isabel
Presence of the Poet

Mangueira
The music of Brasil

The current ranking (which is based on several years etc) is:
Beija-Flor
Grande Rio
Salgueiro
Un.Tijuca
Vila Isal
Mangueira

But note that Portela also did very well last year, coming third.

*The full title often takes several lines followed by a page of description, and the Porto doesn´t necessarily translate easily. These quickie titles with a mix of the Porto and indicative English are just to give an idea or quick reference, not exact or direct translation - hope it helps! Apologies for typos - the keyboard in the cafe is not very good.

Jake993
01-14-10, 19:38
don´t read if you are easily offended on religious issues

Chris,
Thanks for taking the time to explain all of this. Great and very interesting info. Even if it has almost nothing to do with pussy ;)

Sprite13
01-15-10, 07:20
Chris,
As always, your insight into Carnaval and the culture is very appreciated in here and as always, oh so on the money. Parabens rapaiz!:)

Speaking of the enredos for this year, the ones to watch for, at least after having listened to the songs, are in no order, Mangueira, Beija Flor, Salgueiro, Viradouro, Mocidade and Imperatriz. All the songs can be heard in a wonderful little site I found just today (www.songsza.tv) Just enter on the search line the name of the school + 2010 and you'll have all the videos you can handle. :)

As usual, Mangueira comes up with extremely catchy enredos (songs) and I can see that one not only being once again chosen as the best samba enredo of the year (samba song) but also give Mangueira a solid chance of winning. But again, don't disregard the super heavy weights of Beija Flor, Salgueiro and Tijuca.

Jan 156
01-17-10, 17:01
Anyone else going to Viradouro and/or Gand Rio tonight? PM me.

Pelicano
01-17-10, 18:21
Anyone else going to Viradouro and/or Gand Rio tonight? PM me.

The 110 bus passeio-alcantara and sao goncalo goes right by the front of the Viradouro quadra. it leaves from the passeio, near the cinelandia metro station exit, corner with senador dantas. Costs R$6.50 and is air condittioned, takes about 45 minutes depending on traffic.

Jan 156
01-17-10, 22:12
The 110 bus passeio-alcantara and sao goncalo goes right by the front of the Viradouro quadra. it leaves from the passeio, near the cinelandia metro station exit, corner with senador dantas. Costs R$6.50 and is air condittioned, takes about 45 minutes depending on traffic.

Nice one pelicano. Sorry if I was not clear - I meant going to the technical rehearsal which is at Sambodromo tonight. Haven´t been to their quadra, but I guess they´ll be turning out in full support tonight. :) Any main Vargas bus of course (or practically any Mimosa bus of course for that matter) or twenty mins walk from Centro. Central station by Metro (5-10 mins walk) as the crowds will be at the Vargas end. Setting off soon.

Pelicano
01-17-10, 23:19
Nice one pelicano. Sorry if I was not clear - I meant going to the technical rehearsal which is at Sambodromo tonight. Haven´t been to their quadra, but I guess they´ll be turning out in full support tonight. :) Any main Vargas bus of course (or practically any Mimosa bus of course for that matter) or twenty mins walk from Centro. Central station by Metro (5-10 mins walk) as the crowds will be at the Vargas end. Setting off soon.

Praca Onze Metro station is right next to the sambodromo, don't know if it will be open, as sometimes they might close it to avoid the crowds.
I wondered about that, as their website lists ensaio geral on saturday and comunity ensaio on Tuesday;

Ensaio da Comunidade
Todas as ***ças
Local: Quadra, Av. do Contorno, 16, Barreto, Niterói
Horário: 20h
Entrada: Franca

Ensaios de Quadra
Sábados
Horário: 22h
Local: Quadra, Av. do Contorno, 16, Barreto, Niterói
Entrada: R$ 10,00 (homem) e R$ 5,00 (mulher)

Jan 156
01-19-10, 01:38
Praca Onze Metro station is right next to the sambodromo, don't know if it will be open, as sometimes they might close it to avoid the crowds.

It´s a good point. Praca Onze seems to serve the seats and sectors on the west side and is the recommended station if you are in say Setor 4 or 6. I used it last year when I was in one of those setors.

I don´t know if it is the same for rehearsals. Crowd control is slightly different. I just went for the simple option along Vargas, hoping to get into Setor 1 or 3. When I got there however (about half an hour before Viradouro´s performance), Sambodromo was already bursting at the seams. From the Vargas end it looked like Carnaval proper. The slip stream of people I was in was directed to Sectors 5 and 7 as the closest that anyone was being let in.

I had a brilliant night. The highlight of my trip so far - by far. It would be a bit presumptious to say ´better than sex´ but definitely better than average sex.

My initial impressions for what they are worth - don´t take too much from them - I was slow to spot how good Salguero´s performance was last year. But I thought I´d share for those interested (and pussy details to tempt others not into Carnaval yet perhaps to read?)

Viradouro moved me most of the two. Do they have a smaller budget than Grande Rio perhaps. But it was a lot from the heart (a bit like Portela last year, I thought). There were lovely touches for which the crowd went wild. At one point the king takes the hand of a toddler from the edge of the parade strip, leads him onto the ground, and shows him how to blow kisses to the crowd and wave appreciately. The bateria section was introduced by a young dancer - maybe about 10yrs old - who had impeccable self-control and presence as well as perfect timing. And she danced without a break for ´rest´steps. You watch and think wow, that is a star of the future. A lot of people took the school colours of course - including one woman in front of me, dressed in black, but I noticed her panties were the exact team colour when she bent forward.

Grande Rio were pretty polished - except for the usual messiness in some of the wings where people get carried away in front of the crowds. The opening dance section had classically trained dancers that could move with balletic precision. So I had a bit of reluctance to engage emotionally after Viradouro - especially considering their theme - ´a grande emotion´. But by halfway through I was convinced. The whole Carnaval thing is about banging away at making you experience joy. Sustained joy. There is no other party performace like it in the world. And well before the bateria arrived, Grande Rio had people dancing on the concrete and waving wildly.

IF YOU ARE TAKING PART IN CARNAVAL OR EVEN JUST PLANNING TO ATTEND, DO PLEASE GO TO AT LEAST ONE TECHNICAL REHEARSAL IF YOU HAVE NEVER DONE SO.

There are many advantages. Firstly, it´s free. Secondly, it gives you an idea of the colossal size of things. Getting to grips with a rehearsal primes you for the even bigger event. The sheer size of things, getting to know what is where, getting in and out. Finding out how hard the concrete is in the bleachers (arquibancadas) and deciding if you want to take a cushion. (Even if you have bought a numbered seat, they are hard plastic, which dents your bottom after a few hours!) It gives you a practice run. For instance, I had forgotten to get the booklet with the words to the songs and it can be fun to sing along. Once you have a ´taster´ then you may find it easier to get involved in checking out the stories/themes, the meaning of the words in the songs (many don´t translate easily so reading up on it helps).

But there is one extra advantage. If you are taking part, I strongly urge you to go to the rehearsal. I enjoyed my rehearsal with Beija-Flor even more than the real thing in many ways. Firstly, the audience has a very high proportion of fans from your school. People who are not there to record the spectacle on their expensive camcorder. Just there cos they love you, love what you represent, love the school, and want to support you heart and soul.It really makes a difference when you are looking round from the parade ground, You realise there is no such thing as a ´nameless face´in the usual sense. Every expression counts. You return their adoration. Every face in Sambodrome is visible. You share the joy. It is a salutory lesson next time you are part of a big audience! Also if you are with teh school as a visitor, they may give you more leeway. (I was given, quite unexpectedly, a couple of moments to do a star turn with the leadining lady of my wing in the rehearsal, which was pretty mind-blowing. I will never forget it.) If you have already got your costume, your fantasia, you are entitled to attend the rehearsal. But you may be expected to wear the appropriate rehersal t-shirt or whatever (sold at discount) so you fulfil the overall (complex) colour scheme. Go along to the school´s section of Samba City, or at one of their parties (PM me if you are stuck and I will try to help as far as I can).

Getting out meant following diversions. The road diversions were still in place some time later after a fruitless trip to VM. The evening however did result in my first ´freebie´of this trip, which was nice. Two minutes at Balcony and I was turned off by the hard sell and the lack of anyone I wanted to really, really, f*ck. Dolce Vita, after being free entrance all week, had started charging 30R inc two drinks (ie same as Ciccolina´s). I couldn´t face Ciccolina´s. It is ok - not a scene I know that well, and the doorman´s advice to pay no more than 150R didn´t quite work for me, even if there had been anyone that seemed worth that with my rate of exchange.

I stop at Bar Alexandra and get chatting. I fancy the barmaid, but she looked exhausted. Another time maybe if I am exceedingly lucky. After extablishing that I don´t buy lady drinks as matter of course - not part of my culture - I get chatting to a tidy young lady, well-travelled. After 40 minutes or so I get her a drink as she has been good company. Can´t be bothered with the haggling that will follow if I vamos her. Interestingly, she tells me that one of the ladies in our group has asked her how much she charges to have sex with a woman (not an unwelcome offer as she has already told me she is genuinely bi-sexual, but she doesn´t chase it up.) Alexandra shuts and we move on to Bar Prado for the cheap beer. This is cheaper all round as the general rule is to buy a tall bottle and get several cups. The lady I have been chatting to is checking out her options so I wind her up a bit, refusing (but not too determinedly) the attentions of two other girls.One has made it clear she fancies me and is pursuing me. Another is a very good dancer and masseuse. After a demo from her, we try giving each other back and shoulder massages, which leads to more flirting of course. Now I still fancy the original girl. We share similar beliefs about many things (including religion - and manage to compromise on the buying drinks things). But she has built up her persona to the point I think she will start bidding high. Eventually I take the very tactile girl who fancies me aside and challenge her. I say that ok, she ´likes´me, bit this is copacabana, so the ´like´ also involves money, so would she put her cards on the table please. She says no money. I press her until I know she means it (ie and doesn´t really mean take her shopping the day after). She keeps repeating it till I know she´s sincere. I let her pay for the drinks she´s bought (personally I never keep a tab) and take her back. It´s amor rather than sex. She says she is not programma. Her friend is. We enjoy the starlight from my balcony. The evening is about kissing rather than whether kissing is included. This degree of genuine TLC is just what I need and hope it is what she was seeking too.

Afterwards I have an embarrassing moment. The kebab I bought on Pres.Vargas after the Sambodrome has disagreed with me, I throw up violently from both ends. She is very sweet, comforting. She stays till noon. The sex was lovely, affectionate. But I do not feel the earth moved sufficiently for either of us to carry on dating. We shall see.

Couple of footnotes. The teller in Ciccolina´s has the same puzzled-and-creative expression that the owner of Nog used to have when it was busier. He at one point he tries to charge me a silly amount for a coke. I challenge him and he rolls his eyes apologetically, indicating that he has to try it on for the owner, he is instructed to do so. I marvel at the ease with which Brasilians get out of tight situations without animosity.

Secondly, although Bar Prado and Estacao dos Doces next door are not as busy as they used to be, my general rule in case anyone is thinking of drinking there, is to be very wary leaving there with someone unless you know them from somewhere else. There are plenty of dodgy types there, and the out-and-out streetwalkers (the ones that will hardly get in to other places) drink there too.

I am torn. Do I cut short my plans to explore other parts of Brasil and stay for Carnaval here? It is my inclination in a way, although I know that for me it would completely take over. Another part of me wants to get away. Maybe Niteroi, whose knockshops I have still to explore more fully. There is one scary looking block I haven´t been in - allegedly a tourist was taken outside and shot. But I like Niteroi for the shopping, the lower prices, and sometimes its freshness. And if you don´t heer from me for a bit, it will be a decision to ímmerse´myself for a while, instead of this constant attachment to the internet (wither that, or I´ve been shot). But I did want to tell you about the tech rehearsals and I hope some others will go next weekend. For Beija-Flow fans, their party in Nilopolis is this Thursday.

Sprite13
01-19-10, 07:58
Thank you so much for posting your experience during the rehearsal! I really enjoyed it! Also, could you please expand more on this:

I was given, quite unexpectedly, a couple of moments to do a star turn with the leadining lady of my wing in the rehearsal, which was pretty mind-blowing. I will never forget it.

Valeu!:)

Jan 156
01-19-10, 17:33
Thank you so much for posting your experience during the rehearsal! I really enjoyed it! Also, could you please expand more on this:

I was given, quite unexpectedly, a couple of moments to do a star turn with the leadining lady of my wing in the rehearsal, which was pretty mind-blowing. I will never forget it.
Valeu!:)

No problem. I was at the front line of our wing. There was a very long wait, as always, when we got into costume and waited to start. We practiced a nice routine and the leader of the wing tested us all on our samba and tried to convince herself that we knew all the words to the song. Possibly cos of my height rather than my limited samba talents, she placed me in the middle of the front row of her wing.

As you know, each wing is preceeded by a star couple or star performer. In our case, a star couple. Their job is to do lots of fancy dancing and woo the crowds. The woman, naturally, was drop dead gorgeous, and glammed up to the nines. If you are familiar with any of the dances where a partner is passed on to the next man, rueda style, you cannot mistake the signals when it happens and in this case, it was impossible of course to refuse!! Around the middle of the parade, the male dancer leads his partner out of their duet towards me and stands back. Wow! Talk about being put on the spot! Naturally I had to rise to the challenge. We danced together for about a minute and half and I felt like I was the centre of the universe. I have danced in national dance competitions in my home country, but never felt anything like this, even when I did well. Can you imagine - those stars are enough to take your breath away, even just being up close to them for a moment. And to dance with her!!! Yes, it is one of my most treasured moments. My dance was not particularly brilliant, but of course the man doesn´t have to be. He is the picture frame and the woman is the picture. At times of pressure our innermost instincts come out. My samba was ok, but I didn´t manage to fling my feet out as far from my body as possible, which is the man´s freedom in carnaval samba but not something you would do in other dances such as those I had practiced for years. I would have liked to be more of a ´star´for her. But I was honoured to have those few moments and not lose my beat. And eternally grateful to her partner for the oportunity of that moment.

Jan 156
01-25-10, 03:34
Strong showing from Mangueira tonight at the technical rehearsal, thousands upon thousands of supporters in spite of the weather, every one of the bleachers filled to capacity. (I could see them from opposite, as I went with a flow that surged past security - but armed police there to stop us getting back lol). Very catchy tune, has you humming it within the first few bars. Instant classic feel to it. The alas (wings) were very well disciplined, best I´ve seen yet, and the coordinated lead group dances perfectly sychronised and coordinated. My guess is that if the floats and costumes are top, and they perform with the enthusiasm aqqnd polish they put into tonight´s rehearsal, Mangueira will do rarther well this year. (eg first time the rain comes down, everyone reaching for brolliles and plastic bags - I had a customised one thanks to someone I met. The second time it comes down, no-one is bothered - too busy waving and singing and enjoying the ´allegria.´) Last night, Imperatriz´ rehearsal was delayed for an hour and a half but went of pretty well. The passarela was dry by the time they eventually came on.

Mangueira´s Renata Santos´arrived in a reputedly rather expensive dress (http://ego.globo.com/Gente/foto/0,,35339149-EXH,00.jpg) ;) (nice eh?)

Edward M
02-14-10, 06:22
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100214/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_brazil_carnival;_ylt=AlfYO8XWIbYkV4_JggFNrGMuNLB_;_ylu=X3oDMTM3Z3BobjZzBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAwMjE0L2x0X2JyYXppbF9jYXJuaXZhbARjY29kZQNtb3N0cG9wdWxhcgRjcG9zAzcEcG9zAzcEc2VjA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yaWVzBHNsawNjYW50bWlzc2lmeW8-

Jan 156
02-14-10, 12:42
For those Carnaval-ophiles out there - if any of you are like me and haunt antiquarian bookshops, I found some mags in one recently - well actually I didn't find them - after arguing/talking carnaval with the owner and his wife for a while he dug them out of a pile for me - Nossa Historia is the name of them. The mag is no longer in print but back copies can be found and some have wonderful background articles on the development of Carnaval.

Edward M
02-14-10, 17:16
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100214/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_brazil_carnival;_ylt=alfyo8xwibykv4_jggfnrgmunlb_;_ylu=x3odmtm3z3bobjzzbgfzc2v0a2fwlziwmtawmje0l2x0x2jyyxppbf9jyxjuaxzhbarjy29kzqntb3n0cg9wdwxhcgrjcg9zazcecg9zazcec2vja3lux3rvcf9zdg9yawvzbhnsawnjyw50bwlzc2lmew8-whoa! when i citied that link the first time it was about people trying to get lots of kisses at the blocos and now the headline is "**** carnival queen set to parade in rio". i am not implying that you should try to kiss her.

Professor 1
02-14-10, 21:35
whoa! when i citied that link the first time it was about people trying to get lots of kisses at the blocos and now the headline is "**** carnival queen set to parade in rio". i am not implying that you should try to kiss her.

it would be the last female kiss that you receive before meeting your namorada nueva in pre-trial detention. :)

Pelicano
02-14-10, 22:35
For those Carnaval-ophiles out there - if any of you are like me and haunt antiquarian bookshops, I found some mags in one recently - well actually I didn't find them - after arguing/talking carnaval with the owner and his wife for a while he dug them out of a pile for me - Nossa Historia is the name of them. The mag is no longer in print but back copies can be found and some have wonderful background articles on the development of Carnaval.
Many years ago, living in the interior, far away from Rio, we all waited eagerly for the carnaval editions of: O Cruzeiro, Fatos e Fotos and Manchete, which had great color photos of the major carnaval balls of the day, as well as the street blocos, ranchos and samba schools. As adolescents, were mostly interested in seeing the scantily clad celebrities and famous unknown garotas of the day. We all dreamed of going to one of the balls at the Teatro Municipal. Bons tempos aqueles;Those were great times!

John Cricket
02-15-10, 01:40
For those Carnaval-ophiles out there - if any of you are like me and haunt antiquarian bookshops, I found some mags in one recently - well actually I didn't find them - after arguing/talking carnaval with the owner and his wife for a while he dug them out of a pile for me - Nossa Historia is the name of them. The mag is no longer in print but back copies can be found and some have wonderful background articles on the development of Carnaval."Nossa História" is a history magazine puplished by the Brazilian National Library. Their "Carnaval" issue came out in 2007 or 2008, IIRC, and is well worth the purchase, as Christopherd points out. It can be found in better-stocked used bookstores, but I'm also pretty sure you can pick up a copy at the National Library on Rio Branco in Cinelândia.

Here's a link to its webpage, which can also be used to pick up back copies.

The magazine IS indeed still in print. I subscribe to it and just received the new issue (which is on railways) last week before Carnaval started.

Jan 156
02-19-10, 03:57
Hi Pelicano, John

Thanks for the info, guys.

I'll make a note of the titles. I got my NH's in Belem and the guy who ran the secondhand bookshop maybe didn't know they were still being published - or maybe he just said that lol.

The issues I picked up were
Feb 2005, mostly devoted to Carnaval and
Feb 2004, with some stuff about the roots of samba

And thank you to Sprite, who kindly posted me the (shock?) results.

Sprite13
02-24-10, 06:32
Chris,
This Nossa Historia magazine looks like what I'm looking for. Any possibilities of getting it online? Anyone has any link to share? Or it can only be purchased while in Brasil? If that's the case, I'll make sure to get a copy of it next time I'm there.

Those were indeed shock results for Rio Carnaval! But what a beautiful parade Tijuca put on! I'm still clapping them each time I remember them.

Pelicano
02-24-10, 23:04
For those that did not get to see the desfile, or want to have a copy of the desfile, I found and bought today 3 dvd's for 10 reais at the uruguaiana shoping popular, with good definition and audio.

Jan 156
02-25-10, 03:33
For those that did not get to see the desfile, or want to have a copy of the desfile, I found and bought today 3 dvd's for 10 reais at the uruguaiana shoping popular, with good definition and audio.

I got the Globaleza pre-desfile performance clips from Uru, which I managed to watch yesterday, but waiting for the official Carnaval DVD now. I assume this is not available till about a fortnight or so after the event.

What's on the bootleg? The official DVD disappointed me a bit last year, although it seemed the best available.

Sprite - no, I've no idea if the mag is online. I kind of doubt it somehow though.

Sprite13
02-25-10, 04:58
Chris,
The official dvd is usually available from the end of March. The last 2 years' official dvd has been utter crap compared to previous years. The best so far IMHO was the 2007 compacto as it was in good length (24 minutes per school thus giving a good idea of the schools parade) while the past 2 years, they kept on shrinking it to 15 minutes per school in 2008 and to 12 measly minutes in 2009, thus skipping a lot of good stuff. Also, it would be awesome if during the tv broadcast, those clowns of commentators keep their comments to a strict minimum and let us the fans, enjoy more the samba enredo and the atmosphere in the sambodromo instead of their idiotic comments, lame jokes and even lamer voices.

Jan 156
02-25-10, 05:08
Well last year's missed the bit of the BF parade I was in lol! But there was more serious 'censoring' when it came to translating the lyrics. Wish I could see the whole thing in TV or at least purchase full length versions of the bits I'd like. I wouldn't mind an educated commentary. The 'English' (ie American) commentary is geared towards the single visit Tourist Setor I suppose . . .

A vast amount of work goes into these parades. Not just months if preparation, but passionate competition and scholarly research (the BF offices last year at Samba City had a full time historian). The Imperatriz documentary brings some if it out. But O Globo short changes us a bit I think. Maybe there will be more options one day!

John Cricket
02-28-10, 15:17
Sprite, NH can be bought on-line through their website, yes. you can't get an on-line version of it, however.

There was a good issue a year or so back about the Polish prostituties in Rio in the early 20th century. Interesting stuff for monger historians.

Jan 156
03-17-10, 07:35
For those who were interested

Jan 156
03-29-10, 05:14
There's a single copy of the Desfile das Escolas de Samba 2010 DVD popped up on the Amazon US site at USD45. Just about to go to bed and haven't emailed Modern Sound or BossaNovaCompanhia to check it's in shops and mail-order price. Anyone on the ground bought it yet or can confirm if MS have it in stock today?

Sprite13
03-29-10, 06:24
Chris,
Thanks for posting that. I've noticed that the quality of the Rio Carnaval DVD (the compact/best of) is deteriorating each year. The amount of time for each school is getting ridiculously short (last year's was a mere 9-10 minutes). I mean, what can you see in 10 minutes about a parade? Only a bird's view of it, very general type of way. The best one to date was the 2007 version which had about 25 minutes of each school which was the right amount of time for each school.

Here's another alternative for those who are into the Rio Carnaval and would rather see the whole parade. Check this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnJFioBuVJ4&feature=related
In the start of his videos, there's a screen where he gives the option of buying the entire parade for each school. His site is: www.carnavalcompleto.********.com (carnavalcompleto. blog spot dot com)
He's got a very fair pricing of 7 reais per dvd per school or 50 reais for all 12 schools' parade and free shipping. That's what I did and I'm waiting to receive mine in the next few days.

Disclaimer: I'm not involved with this guy at all, just sharing this with those who love Carnaval and want to see the real parade as opposed to this garbage pre-parackaged gringo version that O'Globo is trying to push down our throats.

Jan 156
03-29-10, 17:25
Nice one Sprite - and the links you posted in other threads inc one that lead to 'alternative carnavals - have just lost my longer reply (dodgy 3G connection) but also just watched some candomble stuff I bought in Para that you might like for the history: (a descoberta da Amazonia pelos) Turcos Encantados - there's clips online but not so worth bothering with. btw the best CD of candomblé music I have found which I would highly recommend is called Pontos de Orixas.

Benjoe
03-29-10, 20:32
There's a single copy of the Desfile das Escolas de Samba 2010 DVD popped up on the Amazon US site at USD45. Just about to go to bed and haven't emailed Modern Sound or BossaNovaCompanhia to check it's in shops and mail-order price. Anyone on the ground bought it yet or can confirm if MS have it in stock today?
Lojas Americanas had it for 39.95R (promocao). Modern Sound will have it for about 69R or more.

Jan 156
03-29-10, 21:43
Lojas Americanas had it for 39.95R (promocao). Modern Sound will have it for about 69R or more.
Thanks. I'll probably get both the O Globo and try Sprite's lead. There are a couple of other places that do mail order, so it's good to be forewarned of hhe going rate.

Jan 156
03-31-10, 05:05
Found this

10 minute American insight into Carnaval (actually quite good ;)) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3mYDwRTALo)

There's a rough oversketch that gives you a quick picture (very rough) of background, components, scale, useful if you plan to attend one year. And quite a sincere close-up mini-portrait of someone taking part for the first time - so an idea of that (it reminded me of when I took part just a little a bit, and felt it captured some details and feelings quite well).

Oh, and for the happy morons - errr I mean mongers - who just wanna see tits, here (http://www.myvideo.de/watch/2691241/Topless_Globeleza_Rio_Carnaval)'s an alternative :) haha

Benjoe
03-31-10, 16:05
Found this

10 minute American insight into Carnaval (actually quite good ;)) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3mYDwRTALo)

There's a rough oversketch that gives you a quick picture (very rough) of background, components, scale, useful if you plan to attend one year. And quite a sincere close-up mini-portrait of someone taking part for the first time - so an idea of that (it reminded me of when I took part just a little a bit, and felt it captured some details and feelings quite well).

This was the ending of an hour-long program on Brazil on the Discovery Channel. The program followed a boat owner on the Amazon, a woman trying to become a helicopter pilot in Sao Paulo (which explains why there were cutaways to a boat and helipcopter in the video clip) and a woman from Brasilia who travels to Rio months in advance of the Carnaval desfile to lean how to dance Samba and go to the Samba school rehearsals. This video clip only shows her on Carnaval night. This woman was as passionate as you were in experiencing Carnaval.

I was in the archibancada that night and remember this parade very well.

Sprite13
04-02-10, 05:44
Nice one Sprite - and the links you posted in other threads inc one that lead to 'alternative carnavals - have just lost my longer reply (dodgy 3G connection) but also just watched some candomble stuff I bought in Para that you might like for the history: (a descoberta da Amazonia pelos) Turcos Encantados - there's clips online but not so worth bothering with. btw the best CD of candomblé music I have found which I would highly recommend is called Pontos de Orixas.

Yeah it's a good site and the guy seems legit to me at least.
On that site, click on Sem Censura section where you'll get some truly stupendous footage of the great samba puxadores of the past (specially enjoyed those of the Eternal Jamelão).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywRiBkWFL4g&feature=related
(Jamelão starts singing only towards the end of the video, but if you understand Portuguese good enough,you'll see that he had a very good sense of humour as he told a couple of good ones).
Here you'll have the 2004 Mangueira Enredo sung by Clovis, a Mangueira legend.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdxyZYvjLdk
The above is only for those who are truly hardcore Samba lovers.

P.S. Chris, I tried to pm you but I got a msg that you have chosen not to receive pms or may not be allowed to receive pms. ???

Jazzy Daddy
06-15-10, 16:23
Since this is the Carnaval thread I´ll briefly explain why I was auditioning. I think I need to preface this with some of my musical background as I don´t want to give the impression that someone can just waltz(samba) in and gain a spot in the Bateria.

Actually I am a flautist and saxophonist. I studied music at a major university on the west coast of the US and a prestigous music conservatory on the east coast. My favorite musical setting to play is in large ensembles, the power of which is incredible. I´ve played and studied music from a wide variety of idioms, i.e., from Bach to Coltrane.

A couple of years ago I was in Brazil. I along with another monger from the board, who has deep appreciation for Brazil´s cultural heritage,attended pre-carnaval performances at Sambódromo. I made up my mind then and there the next year I would desfilar with Beija-Flor. Over the next year I continued studying Portuguese and Samba in earnest. My goal was to samba and sing the Enredo as well as others.

In 2009 I sang and paraded with Beija-Flor and it was and unforgettable experience. Singing,dancing in full costume at Carnaval in Rio with some 100,000 people watching is beyond description.

I decided that the next time I would desfilar with the bateria(percussionists).I got very lucky and found a teacher whose cousin is one of the leaders of the bateria for beija-flor, without his superb instruction and conecctions I would nver have come this far.

There are three drums or Surdos that are responsible for providing the foundation in Samba. Surdo´s provide the floor and the stability. It is a large cylindrical instrument with leather heads and verticle tuning rods. It is played with a mallet in 1 hand and the palm of the other hand. The first is the Surdo Primeiro which is the lowest sound you hear and plays on the 2 of the beat and is essentially the `Call` of the call and response form of samba percussion. The Surdo segunda is tuned a little higher and is the reponse in call and response, it plays on the 1.

I hope this explains a little more of why I came and auditioned.

Poucolouco
06-15-10, 17:51
Since this is the Carnaval thread I´ll briefly explain why I was auditioning. I think I need to preface this with some of my musical background .. Actually I am a flautist and saxophonist...

Good post, JD. Your member name is quite appropriate. :)

Jota Erre
06-15-10, 23:51
Since this is the Carnaval thread I´ll briefly explain why I was auditioning. I think I need to preface this with some of my musical background as I don´t want to give the impression that someone can just waltz(samba) in and gain a spot in the Bateria.

Great post, Jazzy Daddy. I definitely would like to hear even more about your experience.

Thanx.

Sprite13
06-17-10, 06:09
That's awesome JD!
I'd also like to hear more about your experience desfilando with Beija Flor both as a parader and as inside the Bateria. These are things I would love to do and I'm planning on doing the 1st next Carnaval and the parading with the bateria the following year. Any insight from you on this is highly appreciated.

valeu.

Potemkin
10-31-10, 01:07
I was in Rio a very long time ago: about 17 years ago, actually. I am sure a lot have changed. It was in May (not a Carnival time). It was fun, and now I have a chance to visit again, may be even at carnival time, which is from March 4 to 8 next year.

So, here is my somewhat naive (or, possibly, even stupid) question: is it a good idea to visit Rio during the Carnival, or is it more trouble than it is worth?

Let me qualify this a bit: I understand (suspect, rather)that watching the Carnival is probably a lot of fun. But what I do not know and would like to find out is how much trouble and extra expence, if any, is involved with being there at that time? Is everything very expensive during the Carnival? Hard to find hotel rooms? Is there more street crime than usual? Is it harder to get girls, or perhaps easier? (by the way, 17 years ago I do not recall Thermas everybody is talking about). Can one enjoy the Carnival without going to the Balls, or would it be necessary? How does one get tickets to those Balls? Are the Carnival sex Balls (like orgies) of the type one sees in some videos accessible to a stranger?

I warned you this is going to be a stupid question.

Fistmaster
12-29-10, 11:02
Scala is allways a good choice during the caneval, try it our you can have a good party but chet the theme first, there are also gay nights. What is also very interesting.

MCruddy
12-31-10, 21:34
I was in Rio a very long time ago: about 17 years ago, actually. I am sure a lot have changed. It was in May (not a Carnival time). It was fun, and now I have a chance to visit again, may be even at carnival time, which is from March 4 to 8 next year.

So, here is my somewhat naive (or, possibly, even stupid) question: is it a good idea to visit Rio during the Carnival, or is it more trouble than it is worth?

Let me qualify this a bit: I understand (suspect, rather) that watching the Carnival is probably a lot of fun. But what I do not know and would like to find out is how much trouble and extra expence, if any, is involved with being there at that time? Is everything very expensive during the Carnival? Hard to find hotel rooms? Is there more street crime than usual? Is it harder to get girls, or perhaps easier? (by the way. 17 years ago I do not recall Thermas everybody is talking about). Can one enjoy the Carnival without going to the Balls, or would it be necessary? How does one get tickets to those Balls? Are the Carnival sex Balls (like orgies) of the type one sees in some videos accessible to a stranger?

I warned you this is going to be a stupid question. Rio during Carnival is great! I went in 2000 and am going again March 4-8, 2011. Here are the answer to your questions:

Expense: Hotel rooms double and even triple in Rio during Carnival. You can find something downtown or in Flemenco, but quite honestly, spend the money and be where all the fun and excitement is. Drinks and meals are the same as any other time of year as are most other things. Restaurants and clubs are much more crowned and some cover charges may be higher, but it shouldn't be too exhorbinant.

Street Crime: When I was there in 2000 they got rid of the street people during Carnaval. On Wednesday morning when Carnival was over, there were suddenly more street people and undesirables walking around. As always, be careful.

Girls: There are more during Carnival. Some come in from other cities, such as Sao Paulo (I met a few from there).

Carnival Balls: Ask at the hotel desk or check your tour book. Clubs like Scala charge a cover for their Balls. The big one at Copacabana Palace is about $1, 000 USD, but others, like Scala and Rio Centurum, you just show up and pay for your ticket.

Better book your hotel now if you want a room. Let me know if you go and we'll meet up for a beer.

MCruddy

Jan 156
03-09-11, 12:50
Is anyone watching? I'm not there this year so trying to find a (free) live Internet feed

Vittu
03-09-11, 14:25
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmM7_XY2DmQ

Bubba Boy
03-09-11, 14:36
Is anyone watching? I'm not there this year so trying to find a (free) live Internet feedHttp://www.globo.com/ Had a live free internet feed of the parade on both Sunday and Monday nights, hence will probably do the same for the results.

Jan 156
03-10-11, 00:48
Congratulations Beija Flor!

Jan 156
03-10-11, 01:23
Http://www.globo.com/

Had a live free internet feed of the parade on both Sunday and Monday nights, hence will probably do the same for the results. I missed that. I heard that online they were just doing it on their premium channel at over $72 a month (ok if that's reals but too much if it's dollars). But in 3D as well! That would be quite nice, especially if you wanted to go to one night but not the other, or maybe just watch the champions parade in comfort.

Jan 156
03-10-11, 04:55
I do realise that only a small but dedicated few on here are as passionate about Carnaval as I am, and they probably already have the links. But some others may have attended and want to relive it, or even just get a taster. So here's a couple of links to the winning parade (if you can get it live at the weekend in the champions' parade, so much the better!)

Here are the promotional transmissions (in four parts. Click the drop-down menu 'videos for the other parts)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh1Jfs4d73Q&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

They're not HD (some you may be able to adjust for higher res though).

Here's a shorter clip that does Have ready HD (click the res button just below the screen towards the right)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y66YW4FW7BI&feature=related

Feel the joy. .

Benjoe
03-10-11, 06:28
I do realise that only a small but dedicated few on here are as passionate about Carnaval as I am, and they probably already have the links. But some others may have attended and want to relive it, or even just get a taster. So here's a couple of links to the winning parade (if you can get it live at the weekend in the champions' parade, so much the better!)

Here are the promotional transmissions (in four parts. Click the drop-down menu 'videos for the other parts)

Here's a shorter clip that does Have ready HD (click the res button just below the screen towards the right)

Feel the joy. . The Carnaval parades via O Globo could have been seen via this link on Justin TV. The link provides a live feed for O Globo TV, but it is isn't 24/7.

http://www.justin.tv/welcomeglobo#/w/949067056/4

Exec Talent
03-10-11, 15:05

Feel the joy. . Some of us may not share your passion for Carnaval, but we sure are glad you have it.

Your passion for Carnaval is quite endearing. I was sorry to hear you were not here this year. People with passions are what makes life interesting. Hope you are back next year and sharing your Carnaval experiences for many years to come.

Sprite13
03-18-11, 05:48
I wasn't in Rio this year for Carnaval, but was sure watching it both on tv as I have tv globo internacional and online at times on the Globo site. Once again, the parade was awesome, but once again, Paulo Barros, the carnavalesco of Tijuca took things to a whole new level. Tijuca was head and shoulders above all the rest of the teams however, unfortunately, Beija Flor or rather, Beija Globo, won it mainly due to Globo's pushing them to win as they were paying tribute to one of Globo's biggest stars, Roberto Carlos, the great singer. What a pity! Speaking of Tv Globo, having watched the whole parades both nights, I am appaled at their comments, commentaries and how much their presenters talk and when they talk, they keep on saying things that don't make a freaking sense. Instead, they should learn to talk less and let us enjoy the samba, hear the batteria and the overall atmosphere in the sambodromo. Anyone else feels the same about TV Globo's presenters?

Mangueira also had a spectacular show IMO and were worthy of their 2nd spot. Their enredo was the kind that once you hear it, it sticks to your mind and can't get it out and the paradona (big pause) the Mangueira bateria did was the sort of thing that not only gives you goosebumps but also tears as that's how beautiful it was. They officially won my heart as from now they'll be the school of my heart. In the past, enjoyed watching Salgueiro and Tijuca's parades, but this year's enredo by Mangueira was very moving. Salgueiro were unlucky as they went 10 minutes over the alloted time resulting in them getting a hefty penatly. Such a pity as they had a wonderful parade.

Christopher, since you're probably the only other that follows religiously the carnaval parades, what did you think of the schools this year?

Bubba Boy
03-18-11, 14:58
Have to agree with in regards to the commentary. In general Brazilian commentators are too much, they talk way too much and generally are lacking in knowledge.

I am ignorant in regards to the ins and outs of carnaval, but all the schools are just spectacular IMHO. I can't tell the difference between the last place guys and the first place, they are all fantastic.

Jan 156
03-20-11, 21:41
Anyone else feels the same about TV Globo's presenters?

Christopher, since you're probably the only other that follows religiously the carnaval parades, what did you think of the schools this year? Hi Sprite! How's it going!

Follows the Carnaval parade. . . I wouldn't say 'religiously'. But I do find much worthwhile there. And little or none of what is worthwhile, IMHO, is reflected in Globo and their horrifically disinformational commentaries.

I was not able to watch a live feed. I managed to get recorded videos of the whole of Beija-Flor. I suppose I feel an empathy of sorts there as they are the only one I have paraded with, but I will try to source some of the other parades you mention with praise. I liked the Beija-Flor parade and song (as far as one can through the sick eyes of Globo). Partly bias, as I have said, but also it was nice to recognise some people who I had seen or met in the desfile before.

Best regards.

Christopherd

Poucolouco
06-06-11, 22:12
In case you missed it on OGlobo Television, here is a time-lapse photo coverage of the Brama facility implosion. The complex was razed to make way for the reformation of the Sambodromo as part of the 2016 Olymiad construction.

http://oglobo.globo.com/rio/fotogaleria/2011/14723/

If you really like to watch things blow up, here is the live action at Demolition News:

http://www.demolitionnews.com/2011/06/05/video-brazilian-spectacular/

Beach Star
06-07-11, 20:27
In case you missed it on OGlobo Television, here is a time-lapse photo coverage of the Brama facility implosion. The complex was razed to make way for the reformation of the Sambodromo as part of the 2016 Olymiad construction.

http://oglobo.globo.com/rio/fotogaleria/2011/14723/

If you really like to watch things blow up, here is the live action at Demolition News:

http://www.demolitionnews.com/2011/06/05/video-brazilian-spectacular/Nothing to do with the Olympics. The expansion of the "sambodromo" has been planned for a cuople of years. Hope it is ready for Carnaval next year!

Common Sense
09-29-11, 01:15
Hey Gents,

I'm preparing for a carnival run in Rio for 2012. I've done carnival in Trinidad so I've got to compare. Anyway, I was looking at some of the posts from 2009 and it was metioned that the termas are closed during carnival. Anyone know if that's been the case for the last two years? Thanks.

Jan 156
10-16-11, 14:57
We are often able to share info on practicalities like getting tickets, best seats, parties and so on, but I wonder if there is more we can offer to help people get the most from the carnaval competition at sambodrome? It's expensive, after all, for many it may be a one-off experience. So you would hope the experience (and memory) will be more than repetitive drumming, people in pretty costumes and floats, and singing a song in a foreign language. Your ticket for one night gives you more than six hours of performance, so if that is all you get you may well be asking yourself well before that, was it all worth it? Did I really get that much from it / like it that much?

These are a few ideas (pick out ones you like) , maybe other fans of RJ carnaval will add others. .

# Have a look at the websites and pick, say, three dance schools. A bit like going to the races or football match. Much more fun if you can root for someone. Have a look at their songs, their colours, their track record.

# An important aspect of each competing school's performance is the theme. This is a story they tell in song and dance, the choice of costumes and floats, while performing. If you get an idea of the story, you can get a feel for one of the judging categories. How well are they conveying the story?

# You wouldn't get the most from a world sports competition if it was the first time you'd seen that sport. Same with the carnaval spirit, and with samba. If you have time, you can whet your appetite (and get a feel of what's behind everything) by dipping your toes. You don't have to learn samba, but you can go along to a samba show put on for tourists at places like Samba City - this is not difficult. You can also visit Samba City to buy a teashirt and maybe get a sneak preview of the floats if you are lucky and can sweet-talk! There is often someone who can talk English if you persist (but bear in mind people are very busy at this time of year getting ready).

# In the weeks leading up to the Carnaval competition you can attend one or more technical rehearsals At the sambodrome completely free. These are not dress rehearsals, but you can enjoy the spirit of the performance among the supporters of that particular dance school.

# The joy of carnaval samba performance is like flicking a switch. Either you get it or you don't. Looking into some of what goes on behind the scenes, experiencing it from the performers' viewpoint, the lyrics of the song, all these can maybe help to prime you I think.

# If you can, you might want to attend a rehearsal party. These are fun nights that celebrate the spirit of a particular dance school and held in their own quadrangle (usually out in the sticks). It might seem like nothing much at the time, but it takes you to the heart of the dance school (very non-touristy, but you can book through a local RJ tour operator if you don't want to venture along on your own. They'll get you there and back and it can make it easier having a few other visitors around).

# Finally read up as much as you can and get all the practicalities sorted out as much as you can, and be prepared. There are over 20, 000 performers on one night, that's not counting spectators, so the organisation is intense and you can hardly imagine the scale of what happens.

#If you manage some or all of these, you will feel more a 'part' of it and possibly enjoy the whole experience much More! The build up will make the stunning reality of the night even more spectacular.

Some other choices.

# Attend one or more nights? My own preference is attend one competition night, perform the other competition night, attend the champions parade night the following weekend (and if you attend more than one night, consider watching from two different sectors. The experience is different!)

# That leads on to: do you want to take part? If you do, all the above applies, plus you have to buy a costume (fantasia) from a school that admits guests. Highly recommended, but adds another string to be arranged!

Poucolouco
10-16-11, 15:42
We are often able to share info on practicalities like getting tickets, best seats, parties and so on, but I wonder if there is more we can offer to help people get the most from the carnaval competition at sambodrome?Cris, thanks for the great guide to Carnaval. You provide excellent suggestions to inform and improving one's Carnaval experience. To the first time attendee, the music can be monotonous, exaggerated by the rhythm of the loud percussion. I found that learning the school songs in advance can help to better understand what the crowd is singing, to realize the themes of the parade and enjoy the celebration of Carnaval. The lyrics will all be printed in your program for the Sambodromo but if you familiarize yourself with the songs in advance it is much more fun to be able to sing along with the multitudes in the stadium. The songs and music for all the schools are released on CD early in the fall and are also available on the internet.

Erectus Indicus
10-17-11, 22:27
# In the weeks leading up to the Carnaval competition you can attend one or more technical rehearsals At the sambodrome completely free. These are not dress rehearsals, but you can enjoy the spirit of the performance among the supporters of that particular dance school.I tried my first time a week before the parade and since I look local, the security wouldn't let me in till I started talking in English. Tourists get special treatment?

# Attend one or more nights? My own preference is attend one competition night, perform the other competition night, attend the champions parade night theIf you are going to attend only one night, I would suggest the Champion's parade on the following Saturday. I had paid quite a bit of money for Monday night and Saturday night in 2010 then found that tickets were being sold by LIESA for Saturday night cheaper. I still wouldn't have known how to buy one.

For news on the parades and notices :

http://liesa.globo.com/

They announce prices somewhere in the end of November, IIRC but check the Ingressos or the Noticias page on that site for exact information.

Erectus Indicus
12-14-11, 14:55
Are here :

http://liesa.globo.com/2012/por/19-ingressos/19-ingressos_principal.html

In Reais.

I think you need a CPF to get hold of tickets at these prices but I am not very sure. Hopefully someone can clarify.

Jan 156
12-19-11, 02:18
Are here :

http://liesa.globo.com/2012/por/19-ingressos/19-ingressos_principal.html

In Reais.

I think you need a CPF to get hold of tickets at these prices but I am not very sure. Hopefully someone can clarify.Maybe your link was mis-pasted as it doesn't seem to work. An extra "l" at the end I think. .

Try this one.

http://liesa.globo.com/2012/por/19-ingressos/19-ingressos_principal.htm

Eric Cartman
12-19-11, 03:55
Are here :

I think you need a CPF to get hold of tickets at these prices but I am not very sure. Hopefully someone can clarify.I took a quick look at the other link above, and I didn't see any mention of CPF. Normally in Brazil they always ask for your CPF when you buy things. Largely because the cities all use Notas Fiscais as a means to enforce tax collection, and they try to incentivize individuals (Pessoas Fisicas) to ask for NFs by giving you (the Pessoa Fisica) discounts on your rental / homeowner tax (IPTU) if you show the NFs for things you bought (or something like that).

However, I spoke to the Prefeitura of Rio the other day, and they assured me that giving / asking for a CPF is NOT required by law in order to complete a sale to an individual (Pessoa Fisica). Because a Pessoa Fisica has a right not to self-identify when purchasing something. It is required (CNPJ, company I'd number) for Pessoas Juridicas (legal entities = businesses).

Which is a roundabout way of saying they probably can't require a CPF. Some stores (like mobile stores) require a CPF or try to, but I don't think it's 100% required. And a CPF doesn't prove Brazil residency as you can apply for one on the Receita Federal website and get it without ever setting foot in the country (they require foreign investors to have a CPF).

Then again, what's law and what people demand are 2 different things. Shrug.

Erectus Indicus
12-19-11, 21:50
Thanks Christopherd and Cartman for correcting and clarifying. As for mobile stores, I did get my SIM from TIM using my passport and address, so yes CPF isn't always required.

Jan 156
01-06-12, 04:15
Rio doesn't seem to be technogeek city when it comes to iPhone apps, but one or two are surfacing that are handy for iAddicts.

Carnaval2012 has the words of all this year's samba-enredos (sambodrome competition songs).

Blocos Rio has the dates and locations of all the local desfiles (parades) for each Rio neighbourhood. Nice if you want to just drop in to a street party. Or avoid them if you don't (as they can disrupt traffic and sleep!)

Not Carnaval as such, but if you need to know which stop in Copa to get which bus, iBRS Copacabana has the info. Hardly state of the art, but who cares.

I hope it's not too off-topic. I notice a lot of visitors carry their iPhones. Not something I recommend in Copa, but travelling light they can sub for a laptop back in the apartment.

AltoBomGosto
01-08-12, 07:38
If you want to buy a SIM cel chip you only need to show your valid passport.

I took a quick look at the other link above, and I didn't see any mention of CPF. Normally in Brazil they always ask for your CPF when you buy things. Largely because the cities all use Notas Fiscais as a means to enforce tax collection, and they try to incentivize individuals (Pessoas Fisicas) to ask for NFs by giving you (the Pessoa Fisica) discounts on your rental / homeowner tax (IPTU) if you show the NFs for things you bought (or something like that).

However, I spoke to the Prefeitura of Rio the other day, and they assured me that giving / asking for a CPF is NOT required by law in order to complete a sale to an individual (Pessoa Fisica). Because a Pessoa Fisica has a right not to self-identify when purchasing something. It is required (CNPJ, company I'd number) for Pessoas Juridicas (legal entities = businesses).

Which is a roundabout way of saying they probably can't require a CPF. Some stores (like mobile stores) require a CPF or try to, but I don't think it's 100% required. And a CPF doesn't prove Brazil residency as you can apply for one on the Receita Federal website and get it without ever setting foot in the country (they require foreign investors to have a CPF).

Then again, what's law and what people demand are 2 different things. Shrug.

Jan 156
01-10-12, 04:36
In case anyone's interested in taking part in the champions parade next month. .

I'll probably pick up a fantasia (costume) for one of the competition nights, but won't be using it if the school gets through to the championships parade the following weekend. As the fantasia is the 'entrance ticket' to perform, that means someone else could wear it on the Saturday (25th Feb) and parade with the school on the sambodrome if you have similar-ish size to me (I'm 6 ft, average build). Will sell costume for half what I pay for it. If you haven't done it before I can fill you in on what happens so you have a great night but you're responsible once I hand it over. I don't recommend this if it is your first trip to Rio.

You'd be responsible for collecting it from me (after results are announced so you will know you can perform) and can keep it afterwards to take home or charm chicas with.

HungryStud101
01-13-12, 04:34
I am going to the access parade on Saturday! Meu brasiliero amigo Gus is getting me tickets. He advices I not pay the broker price and he said he will get them from his bank for much less. I will get boxes and have a ball. Once in a life time event for me! Damn! Hotel rates double and triple for Carnaval! One tour guide told me her tour go up 70% starting the 17th!

The hell with it. I'm going. You only live once.

I will go for a jungle tour and see the waterfall bath. I will go on another private tour and see Christo Redento and Suger Loaf and the steps of lapa etc. Any can't miss sites I should see? I am taking my lady friend from the States and I usually am single when I am there and I don't get past the Termas or Balconi. We have to get 3 days or so on copa. Is it worth it to tak a tax over to Ipenama to sit on that beach too? We will eat at Marios.

Again, how about some night clubs with performers? I would like that.

Don't worry I do intend to run off and get laid and I will report here.

Benjoe
01-13-12, 05:33
I am going to the access parade on Saturday! Meu brasiliero amigo Gus is getting me tickets. He advices I not pay the broker price and he said he will get them from his bank for much less. I will get boxes and have a ball. Once in a life time event for me! Damn! Hotel rates double and triple for Carnaval! One tour guide told me her tour go up 70% starting the 17th!

The hell with it. I'm going. You only live once.

I will go for a jungle tour and see the waterfall bath. I will go on another private tour and see Christo Redento and Suger Loaf and the steps of lapa etc. Any can't miss sites I should see? I am taking my lady friend from the States and I usually am single when I am there and I don't get past the Termas or Balconi. We have to get 3 days or so on copa. Is it worth it to tak a tax over to Ipenama to sit on that beach too? We will eat at Marios.

Again, how about some night clubs with performers? I would like that.

Don't worry I do intend to run off and get laid and I will report here.Around Carnaval time, I recall Marius (don't know about "Marios") having a roving three piece band with a samba dancer in a Carnaval costume dancing, during the evenings. Of course, I don't know whether Marius still has them. You can call Marius.

HungryStud101
01-13-12, 06:02
Around Carnaval time, I recall Marius (don't know about "Marios") having a roving three piece band with a samba dancer in a Carnaval costume dancing, during the evenings. Of course, I don't know whether Marius still has them. You can call Marius.Is Marius = Marios? The high end restaurant on Atlantic Ave that you can get either meat on a plate or seafood on a plate

Benjoe
01-13-12, 06:37
Is Marius = Marios? The high end restaurant on Atlantic Ave that you can get either meat on a plate or seafood on a plateThat's the one.

Eric Cartman
01-14-12, 20:29
That's the one.You should read up on reviews before you go. Marius / Marios used to be awesome but in recent years the rumor is the owner (Marius) either died or went nuts, and quality went to shit. Last I looked on Trip Advisor, reviews were horrible. Way too pricey and quality at rock bottom. I haven't been there since maybe 2006-2007.

I can still heartily recommend Porcao Rios (Flamengo location) for Churassco, and the have a HUGE sushi bar and some cooked fish if seafood really is your thing. Porcao is now up to R$97 per person without drinks but at least the quality is still there. Expect to pay R$150 minimum with drinks and maybe dessert. Outstanding though.

MoneyShot
01-30-12, 04:42
We did make it to SALGUEIRO Samba school on a Saturday night, went with a tour group figuring may be some english speaker in the group but mostly Brazilians and a few complaining French Tourist.

Seems to be an Elitist School with some Famous tv Stars.

I look forward to making it to Carnival in 2013 having been to many Mardi Gras in New Orleans. Anyone have Ticket to the SD this year?

MoneyShot
02-18-12, 13:04
Where can the Parades in Rio be watched on the Net? Thanks

Sorry found this link in other thread http://g1.globo.com/rio-de-janeiro/c...012/cobertura/

Guess I should RTFF

Java Man
02-18-12, 16:33
Where can the Parades in Rio be watched on the Net? Thanks.

Sorry found this link in other thread.

http://g1.globo.com/rio-de-janeiro/c.012/cobertura/

Guess I should RTFFRio's parades are on Sunday and Monday. Maybe start around 9p, (Rio time) til 8a. Last year's Champion is the Last to Parade, probably around 6a-7a Monday. And yes, RTFF. (insert smiley here) GLOBELEZA!

Jan 156
02-19-12, 12:24
They're changing the rules do often I can hardly keep up with them (and not forgetting how last year's fire threw a spanner in the works).

Here's the official parade order:

19 FEB (Sunday) : Carnaval 9pm- Jacarepagua, Portela, Imperatriz, Mocidade, Porta de Pedra, Beija-Flor, Vila Isabel. Desfile ends 6. 30am.

20 FEB (Monday) Carnaval 9pm- Sao Clemente, Uniao de Ilha, Salgueiro, Mangueira, Tijuca, Grande Rio. (And as there are only six performing, it should finish about an hour and a quarter earlier.)

But as Java Man points out, they do normally run over. Don't know if they'll be as late as 8am though (though that means the Metro is open again LOL).

I understand that in the Champions parade, next Saturday, the winner does indeed parade last. 2nd goes second-to-last and so on (so you have the incentive to stay to the end!) I've a feeling this year's competition order may have been decided by lottery. With the exception of the school newly promoted, and they parade first. Good luck to everyone!

Info at:

Enjoy!

Java Man
02-19-12, 20:29
They're changing the rules do often I can hardly keep up with them (and not forgetting how last year's fire threw a spanner in the works).

Here's the official parade order:

19 FEB (Sunday) : Carnaval 9pm- Jacarepagua, Portela, Imperatriz, Mocidade, Porta de Pedra, Beija-Flor, Vila Isabel. Desfile ends 6. 30am.

20 FEB (Monday) Carnaval 9pm- Sao Clemente, Uniao de Ilha, Salgueiro, Mangueira, Tijuca, Grande Rio. (And as there are only six performing, it should finish about an hour and a quarter earlier.) But as Java Man points out, they do normally run over. Don't know if they'll be as late as 8am though (though that means the Metro is open again LOL). I understand that in the Champions parade, next Saturday, the winner does indeed parade last. 2nd goes second-to-last and so on (so you have the incentive to stay to the end!) I've a feeling this year's competition order may have been decided by lottery. With the exception of the school newly promoted, and they parade first. Good luck to everyone! Info at:

Enjoy!Last night's parade in Sao Paulo ended around 7:15a. Oglobo's broadcast ended at 7:30a, (all times local.) Nice that last year's Champ, Beija-Flor is not parading last. GLOBELEZA!

Jan 156
02-22-12, 01:15
Nice that last year's Champ, Beija-Flor is not parading last.Looking like they may have shot themselves in the foot this year though. .

Did you have any favourites from this year's RJ parade?

Jan 156
02-22-12, 13:34
Wow terrible news re Sao Paulo carnaval. For anyone who hasn't seen the news this morning, a guy jumped into the judges' enclosure are tore up the results. So no winner. All on CCTV.

The primary message of carnaval is alegria. Not photos, not the amount of money spent, and not even who wins. When people forget the true meaning of carnaval it just becomes like any other game show.

Java Man
02-22-12, 20:14
Wow terrible news re Sao Paulo carnaval. For anyone who hasn't seen the news this morning, a guy jumped into the judges' enclosure are tore up the results. So no winner. All on CCTV.

The primary message of carnaval is alegria. Not photos, not the amount of money spent, and not even who wins. When people forget the true meaning of carnaval it just becomes like any other game show.I saw it live on G1! It was crazy. A Carnaval floats was burned too. The guy that tore up the results was arrested along with another. Civil police is investigating 4 samba schools to determine of they incited the near riot. Mocidade Alegre was declared the SP Champion.

I'm partial to Rio's Beija-Flor, Mangueira, and Salgueiro. Unlike previous years, I saw few WOW moments in this years Carnaval. Am most impressed with O Globo's G1 Live streaming coverage of ALL things Carnaval. GLOBELEZA!

Unidos da Tijuca declared Champion of Rio's Carnaval Parade. Salgueiroin second place and Vila Isabel third.

Jan 156
02-22-12, 20:57
Results in

Top 6 performing in reverse order on Saturday as far as I can see.

Tijuca.

Sagueiro.

V. Isabel.

Beija-Flor.

Grande Rio.

Portela

Sunset Strip
02-23-12, 03:30
Is the Sao Paulo video?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/video/video-samba-groups-brawl-over-carnival-parade-results/article2346129/

HungryStud101
02-24-12, 02:20
My first carnaval and I liked it as much as I liked Bia at L'uomo. Portela had the best music and had the place rocking. I thought Mocidade had the best bateria and the best rainha de bateria. Man she was dancing up a storm and I thought Beija flor had the best float and imperatiz had the best opening act with the guys swinging from vines like Tarzan. Port De Pedro and Jac whatever were a little boring (only when compared to the others) and I found out later that they were demoted. I really enjoyed the show and I cannot get the music out of my head.

Kcrl01
03-01-12, 07:11
Carnaval '12. Enjoy:

Java Man
03-02-12, 16:54
Cool vid of Rio's 2012 Carnaval parades, best seen in Internet Explorer. Tilt-shift photography refers to the use of camera movements to simulate a miniature scene.

http://vimeo.com/37157187

Sperto
03-02-12, 18:47
Carnaval '12. Enjoy:Solange Gomes is nice.

BTW, you're not allowed to post photos copied from other websites.

HungryStud101
03-03-12, 07:02
Andrea Andrade of Mocidade stole my heart at Carnaval. I love her look. I love her face, eyes, lips the way she flips her hair and bats her eyes. Oh and I love her ass! And fianlly I love the way she moves. I swear you can meet girls with a similar look at L'uomo and have sex with them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KJiEju62Y4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW1WRP3VSYg&feature=endscreen&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvJzAaOGn0U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsBDlymtu1A&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSxCZ3MMNfY

Raissa De Oliveira of Beija Flor is a close second. I swear I did her at Centaurus 2 years ago! Is she ever cute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=G9boWjq6hPU&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyjEtIDaLSU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWeej7cJ0ZA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRKXK81p5K4&feature=related

Guy Hawthorne
01-03-13, 02:43
I'll be taking my first trip to Rio during Carnaval and have read a few of the threads for background. Very helpful. I already feel like I'm standing on the shoulders of giants! One thing I haven't seen discussed very much is the effect, if any, of Carnaval on the termas. Is Carnaval like New Year's where the termas close or the quality and options drop precipitously? Any advice and feedback for a first time Rio trip during Carnaval is much appreciated. I'll be in Rio from the 8th until the night of the 14th.

Java Man
02-11-13, 00:39
View Carnaval Parades and all things Carnaval on G1. Golobo.

http://g1.globo.com/rio-de-janeiro/carnaval/2013/desfile-apuracao/cobertura/

Jan 156
02-11-13, 04:36
View Carnaval Parades and all things Carnaval on G1. Golobo.

http://g1.globo.com/rio-de-janeiro/carnaval/2013/desfile-apuracao/cobertura/Nice one Java Man.

All drama with Tijuca, eh? Thoughts?

AltoBomGosto
02-11-13, 10:22
INHO the best Rio's mulata : Juliana Alves.

http://g1.globo.com/rio-de-janeiro/carnaval/2013/desfile-apuracao/cobertura/

Jan 156
03-04-14, 02:33
Oglobo has a nice interactive guide for all the street carnavals, (Blocos.) Just enter the date and area, the guide will list all the blocos for that date, and show you their locations on Google map.

http://oglobo.globo.com/rio/carnaval/2014/blocos/programacao/For anyone following the Sambadrome performances or planning to watch the Champions Parade for the first time, it's maybe worth checking LIESA's online brochures. (Some are given away free, but you need Portuguese, whereas online you can use Google translate.)

At Liesa (http://liesa.globo.com/) , there are a couple of large files (several hundred pages each) called Abre-Alas Carnaval 2014. One for the schools performing the first night, one for those on the second. These give you not just the song (samba-enredo) but also the story (enredo). Cut & paste (to Google translate if you like) a couple for schools you like the look of (Beija-Flor is fairly textbook and a good example) and you will have the theme as it is told and developed in successive alas (the wings, or groups of dancers) and the individual floats. Then the story unfolds as you watch. It's much more exciting than going knowing nothing. Otherwise 6+ hours of people singing samba and dancing in funny costumes can seem a bit much.

It's just an idea. Also a question, to anyone who has been this year or recently to the tourist seats section. I've been to a lot of different sections but never forked out for that one. What is the difference? I understand they provide things like simultaneous translation? Is it just the standard commentary or do they give you hand-outs in English and explain the background of the schools and the themes?

Java Man
03-04-14, 03:36
At Liesa (http://liesa.globo.com/) there are a couple of large files (several hundred pages each) called Abre-Alas Carnaval 2014. One for the schools performing the first night, one for those on the second. These give you not just the song (samba-enredo) but also the story (enredo). Cut & paste (to Google translate if you like) a couple for schools you like the look of (Beija-Flor is fairly textbook and a good example) and you will have the theme as it is told and developed in successive alas (the wings, or groups of dancers) and the individual floats. Then the story unfolds as you watch. It's much more exciting than going knowing nothing. Otherwise 6+ hours of people singing samba and dancing in funny costumes can seem a bit much.

It's just an idea. Also a question, to anyone who has been this year or recently to the tourist seats section. I've been to a lot of different sections but never forked out for that one. What is the difference? I understand they provide things like simultaneous translation? Is it just the standard commentary or do they give you hand-outs in English and explain the background of the schools and the themes? Wow! I forgot about this thread. Did you see the price for the tourist section? $R500, that's face value. I can only imagine what the resellers are charging.

Yesterday, LIESA was reporting 2, 000 tickets were still available for tonight's parade and 13, 000 for the Champions parade Saturday.

I was disappointed in that the Sao Paulo's parades were not televised in Rio. Oglobo instead broadcast Rio's Series A group. Lots of Gordas on the floats!

Tijuca? How about Mangueira's float losing it's head to the press box! Looks like I need to find those files you're talking about, so I can understand the story and be like you. Otherwise it's 6+ hours of people singing samba and dancing in funny costumes. Beats the 8hrs+ of years back. I love how they've streamlined things. I may be able to sit through the whole thing. Am also surprised it hasn't rained.

Jan 156
03-05-14, 22:03
For anyone interested, Tijuca have just this minute won. Salgueiro 2nd.

Unidos the Tijuca. 299, 4.

Salgueiro. 299, 3.

Portela. 299.

União the Ilha. 298, 4.

Imperatriz. 297, 6.

Grande Rio. 297, 2.

Mangueira. 296, 2.

Beija-Flor. 296, 4.

Mocidade. 296.

Vila Isabel. 295, 9.

São Clemente. 294, 3.

ImpéRio the Tijuca. 291, 6

Jan 156
03-05-14, 22:36
Tijuca? How about Mangueira's float losing it's head to the press box!Yeah I couldn't quite believe it. Bit embarrassing. Salgueiro did the cutest levitation though.

Looks like I need to find those files you're talking about, so I can understand the story and be like you. Otherwise it's 6+ hours of people singing samba and dancing in funny costumes. Beats the 8hrs+ of years back. I love how they've streamlined things. I may be able to sit through the whole thing. Am also surprised it hasn't rained.Nah of course you don't need them. I'm just a bit geeky like that sometimes. Personally I guess the best way of course is to take part (and rush back and forth to the bleachers, ticket in hand, when you've done your desfile). For me, nowing a bit of what they're going through is fantastic every year after that. But it's getting expensive now. I though the carnavalesco was kidding last time I asked the price of a friggin fantasia.