PDA

View Full Version : Portuguese Words and Phrases

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Lorenzo
10-09-06, 06:08
Veterano,

If you want to achieve true fluency and don't mind spending a few hundred bucks, get the Foreign Service Institute Course, available from Multilingual Books: http://www.multilingualbooks.com/. Click on the Foreign Service Institute link and look for Programmatic Portuguese 1 and 2. You now can get both for US$399. You can also get a watered down version of Part 1 from Barron's.

Lorenzo

Bubba Boy
10-09-06, 16:51
If you want to achieve true fluency and don't mind spending a few hundred bucks, get the Foreign Service Institute Course, available from Multilingual Books: http://www.multilingualbooks.com/. Click on the Foreign Service Institute link and look for Programmatic Portuguese 1 and 2. You now can get both for US$399.

Is this worth doing if you have already completed Pims I,II,III ?

Lorenzo
10-09-06, 18:06
Is this worth doing if you have already completed Pims I,II,III ?
Probably not. It would only be worth it for a raw beginner, which is what I was when I first undertook to learn Portuguese (although already knowing Spanish gave me a leg up). From your posts I would guess that you already have a working fluency, so I don't think this course would help you. Once you have learned the basics, the best thing you can do is practice, practice, practice. The more Brazilians you can talk to the better. By far the most difficult aspect is learning to understand the spoken language; by contrast, speaking, reading, and writing are a piece of cake.

Member #4217
10-10-06, 04:50
http://www.sonia-portuguese.com/

http://www.sonia-portuguese.com/text/phrases.htm

Tom

The Bucket
10-11-06, 03:30
The FSI course recommended by Lorenzo is now free, go to http://fsi-language-courses.com/PortugueseProg.aspx

Found link here, along with a few others:
http://erikspen.wordpress.com/

Truant
10-11-06, 04:54
She said, "Jogue sua leite dentro meu bucitinha" at the height of passion and it made me crack up laughing because I never heard it before.

(Throw your milk (cum) inside my little pussy).

Anyone ever heard this one?

Truant

Lorenzo
10-11-06, 18:38
The FSI course recommended by Lorenzo is now free, go to http://fsi-language-courses.com/PortugueseProg.aspx
Well I'll be damned! I clicked on your link, and it is the same course, all right. Thanks for the tip; this website might be useful for learning other languages as well.

Actually, these FSI courses should have been free all along. After all, they're funded by US tax dollars and they are in the public domain, i.e., not copyrighted. However, the State Department has not heretofore made them available. This is long overdue.

Lorenzo

The Watcher
10-11-06, 18:39

Thanks for the info - I hope I can do this course by the end of November.

Rio Bob
10-17-06, 03:11

This is actually a great find. I have the lessons 1 - 25 and did them a few years ago, my audio is on tapes though, I could probably dowload these audios to me Ipod. These lessons were very good, they got me started several years ago, I guess I discontinued them when I got the Pimsleur because the Pimsleur you didn't need a book. I put them on my Ipod and do them when I exercise or listen in my car. These lessons if I remember correctly for the most part you ned the text to go along with it, that was the only downside of it.

Orgasm Donor
10-18-06, 19:50
I visited this museum when I was in Sao Paulo. It is in the central train station. Very interesting to see how the language is a wonderful blend of Portuguese, Spanish, African, Tupi (native), French, English and many more.
There is a video screen that looks like its 100 meters long. Showing the mix of all these cultures that makes Brasil so unique.
One part of the video that that blew me away was when they showed a split-screen of Brasil's famous futbol players with Brazilian dancers. They split the screen at the waist, the upper body the dancer, the lower body the player in order to illustrate the close relation of the rhythm and movement of their dance, and their sport. There is also more "artsy" installments for those interested in Brazilian literature and visual art.
O.D.

Latitude Cruz
12-04-06, 08:49
Has anyone attended (or know someone who has attended) a portuguese immersion school in Brazil?

I've been doing a little google research and there's some stuff out there; but I'd like to know if anyone has feedback.

My ideal situation would be a sort of program where I could study a few hours a day, then kick around town the rest of the day doing the tourist thing, then spend the night in our favorite forms of mischief, wake up the next day...repeat the next day :D

Any feedback/ideas/advice/alternatives much appreciated!

LC

Off Road
12-04-06, 15:03
Has anyone attended (or know someone who has attended) a portuguese immersion school in Brazil?

I've been doing a little google research and there's some stuff out there; but I'd like to know if anyone has feedback.

My ideal situation would be a sort of program where I could study a few hours a day, then kick around town the rest of the day doing the tourist thing, then spend the night in our favorite forms of mischief, wake up the next day...repeat the next day :D

LCI know Berlitz in Sao Paulo does 1-1 education, it is expensive. I took basic I and II but in the USA. It really did improve my portuguese. I am thinking of taking a class again, but this time classroom style. I am in Rio now full time

Pimpolho
12-04-06, 20:19
Has anyone attended (or know someone who has attended) a portuguese immersion school in Brazil?Take a look here:

www.dkurs.com.br/dbrasil/default.asp

Cho 637
12-04-06, 20:30

LCIf you go to altavista and use the translation tool it will list some schools on the right hand side of the screen depending on what language you pick.

Pipe Layer99
12-04-06, 22:50
Stop by the 'Office' (the sports bar back behind Help), and tell the owners you are looking for Gabriel. Gabriel is an American - he teaches English in Rio.
He is always at the office. He should be there for about 1 more month.
If he is not there, leave your cell phone number with one of the owners or one of the female staff to give to him or just keep checking back.

I'm sure he will work something out with you as far as learning Porto. If he does not have time, I bet he can point you in the right direction.

Donnie D

Slipgear43
01-02-07, 02:32
Going Rio in May like to find Translator and Guide perfer a female any sugestions be in town for 1 week vacation.

Exec Talent
01-07-07, 13:26
I have been trying to find the answer to this one for some time and have not been able to get a good answer even from Brazilians.

What is the difference between Chester and Peito de Peru? Also, what do I need to ask for at the deli so I get real turkey breast and not the processed or rubbery meat substance they usually sell you. If I can see it, I am OK, but many times it is not on display in all supermarkets.

Thanks!

George90
01-07-07, 17:35
I have been trying to find the answer to this one for some time and have not been able to get a good answer even from Brazilians.

What is the difference between Chester and Peito de Peru? Also, what do I need to ask for at the deli so I get real turkey breast and not the processed or rubbery meat substance they usually sell you. If I can see it, I am OK, but many times it is not on display in all supermarkets.

Thanks!

chester = duck; even though my dictionary says duck = pato, in the grocery stores in Brazil ducks are labeled as 'chester'.

peru = turkey

Veterano
01-08-07, 01:16
Sometimes I hear the girls use the word "gostoso" (usually during sex) and sometimes I use the word "gostosa" as an appellation, I think it means something like "hot chick"

Does anybody know the exact meaning of these words?

Thanks, Veterano

Exec Talent
01-08-07, 01:57
Sometimes I hear the girls use the word "gostoso" (usually during sex) and sometimes I use the word "gostosa" as an appellation, I think it means something like "hot chick"

Thanks, Veterano

It simply means they/you like what is going on. Do not place a lot of weight on it unless the girl also is molhado (wet).

Now about my Chester!

Pipe Layer99
01-08-07, 09:46

Thanks, Veterano

Gostoso is a slang term. Think of the word Gustar (to please) in Spanish.
If a girl thinks you are handsome, sexy, exciting - she will call you gostoso. In other words you are pleasing to her.
While having sex with her and she is getting into it - she will say gostoso to you. Its all included - she is into you, you are giving it to her good ..........

In Spanish you could tell a girl 'asi me gusta'
- it means 'its pleasing to me like that' or 'thats the way I like it'

Hope that helps,
Donnie D

El Austriaco
01-08-07, 10:08
In Spanish you could tell a girl 'asi me gusta'
- it means 'its pleasing to me like that' or 'thats the way I like it'
The Spanish equivalent of "gostoso", when used during sex, " would be "rico" or "que rico". In English, the rough equivalent would be "Don't stop whatever you are doing, I like it".

When applied to a person, not necessarily during sex, "gostoso" means "sexy guy", and "gostosa" means "sexy girl", of course with clearly sexual overtones. In other words, a person that you would not mind saying "gostoso" to when actually having sex.

Literally, "gostoso" means "delicious", like when applied to food; it is just a regular adjective (not a slang term), like in "esta meia picanha é muito gostosa". Of course, the food analogy doesn't stop just there and is liberally applied to people, too. Where do think that the expression "eating someone out" comes from?

EA

Pipe Layer99
01-08-07, 10:27
The Spanish equivalent of "gostoso", when used during sex, " would be "rico" or "que rico". In English, the rough equivalent would be "Don't stop whatever you are doing, I like it".

Literally, "gostoso" means "delicious", like when applied to food; it is just a regular adjective (not a slang term),
EA

OK,
I think we have a good grasp on the word now.
However, I still believe gostoso is just a slang term.

Literally the word 'delicious' translates to 'delicioso' in Portuguese.

El Austriaco
01-08-07, 10:48
OK,
I think we have a good grasp on the word now.
However, I still believe gostoso is just a slang term.

Literally the word 'delicious' translates to 'delicioso' in Portuguese.
And nobody uses "delicioso" in Brazilian Portuguese; I sure have never heard it used in Brazil. If you wanna call food "delicious" in Portuguese, you use "gostoso", which of course is derived from "gosto", i.e. "taste", and therefore means "tasty". Delicious and tasty, same thing to me.

Java Man
01-08-07, 19:07
is it slang, i don't think so,....maybe...:

slang
–noun
1. very informal usage in vocabulary and idiom that is characteristically more metaphorical, playful, elliptical, vivid, and ephemeral than ordinary language, as hit the road.
2. (in english and some other languages) speech and writing characterized by the use of vulgar and socially taboo vocabulary and idiomatic expressions.
3. the jargon of a particular class, profession, etc.
4. the special vocabulary of thieves, vagabonds, etc.; argot.

btw, "slang" in portuguese is "gíria"

back to gostosa or gostoso

found on online dictionary i use:

http://www.ultralingua.com/onlinedictionary/

derived from "gostar:" to like

not to be confused with "gozar;" to orgasm

gostoso adj. -a tasty adj.

(brazzil.com defines it as: gostosa, f [tasty] — sex pot)

i have never heard this one:

gostosona n.f. bombshell n. (mulher bem-feita / well-built woman)

i'll have to start using that and see what kinda of reaction i get:

"oi gosotosona!"

"você uma mulher bem-feita"

delicious:

delicioso adj. -a 1. delectable adj. 2. delicious adj. 3. delightful adj. 4. grateful adj. 5. lovely adj. 6. luscious adj. 7. scrumptious adj.

i have heard delicioso used when describing food. i have also called a garota, a delicia as in "você uma delicia" or "você é deliciosa." depending on the situation the responds is a smile or "safado!" :d

Sui Generis
01-08-07, 21:37
Prezados colegas,

It's fairly easy to explain the meaning of the word «gostoso».

As some hobbyists mentioned earlier «gostoso» during the sex act means that it gives pleasure. It is something like: «Yes! yes! it feels good» or «Oui, oui, c'est bon!»

There is another word, close to it. It is «gostosão»

For example, when my girlfriend refers to me she calls me (hummm, hum why do I have the sudden urge to clear my throath?) «O gostosão do Québec»

What is it? Gostosão is giría and it means the following:

homem atraente apreciado pelas mulheres. [attractive man appreciated by women].

This definition fits me perfectly! Lol

El Austriaco
01-08-07, 21:53
Here, we cleary see the mechanisms of word formation at play:

Gosto (taste), noun.
Take the word root (gost-) without the ending (-o) and add -ar to form a verb: gostar.

Gostar (to taste), verb.
Take the word root (gost-) without the ending (-ar) and add -oso/a to form an adjective: gostoso/gostosa.

Gostoso/a (tasty), adjective.
Now, you may use the adjective as such as a noun, too (like "tasty one"), but there are tons of other ways in Portuguese, too, by adding further endings. One of the most common ones, of course, is the diminutive ending -inho/inha, so ubiquitous in Brazilian Portuguese. This would yield "gostosinho/gostosinha". Again, the word root is everything except the ending indicating the grammatical gender.

The opposite of a diminutive ending is a so-called augmentative ending, which is exactly what "-ão/ona" is in Portuguese. Its equivalent in Spanish would be "-ón/ona", like in "chingón/chingona". So big woman in Portuguese would be "mulherão", for example.

Another example of an augmentative ending in Portuguese (and Spanish, BTW) would be "-aço". So "gol" becomes "golaço": quite different in meaning from "golzinho".

EA

Pipe Layer99
01-09-07, 00:20
Fellas, looks like we have a decision.
Based on the calculations by the Floridian ballot counters here are the results:

1. SG
2. Chingon
3. EA
4. Donnie
5. ET

Hope this helps the monger who asked the original question :-))

When in doubt, always consult your fellow forum members. DD

Urcarioca
01-09-07, 02:26
Typical from Brazil these endings:

Emphasis : ...ão
um (jogo) "jogão" de futebol = a great game of soccer
um (mulher) "mulherão" = a great woman (could be a stunner too...)
um (carro) "carrão" = a big or a sport car

Tenderness or lesser : ...inho or inha
Meu (amor) "amorzinho" = my little love (meaning : my baby)
Uma (comida) "comidinha" = a snack
Um (cachorro) "cachorrinho" = a puppy-dog

And so on... I must say that it's not slang or "giria", it's just portuguese from Brazil.

BTW, i heard "delicioso" or "deliciosa" a lot here in Rio, but may be you didn't hear it in a Puteiro...

Abraços,

U.

Tricky não é?

Exec Talent
01-09-07, 15:41
I hear it all the time as well. Just yesterday morning when I asked the doorman how he was he said tudo delicioso. But, most of the time it is the girls I hear use it!

Bubba Boy
01-10-07, 00:09
I normally defer to The Austrians greater wisdom, but I have heard delicioso used many times when I am banging away. On another point, I don't like woman yelling out gostoso, safado, vai - vai, etc when doing the business, all that noise it is dificult to concentrate.

El Austriaco
01-10-07, 00:13
I normally defer to The Austrians greater wisdom, but I have heard delicioso used many times when I am banging away. On another point, I don't like woman yelling out gostoso, safado, vai - vai, etc when doing the business, all that noise it is dificult to concentrate.
Delicioso, for whatever reason, I really don't recall, whether in bed or in a restaurant. "É uma delícia", yes, but delicioso, no. Honestly ;)

Which makes me fantasize about setting up a termas with an attached restaurant where you can bang the waitresses for dessert.

EA

Lorenzo
01-10-07, 05:57
Which makes me fantasize about setting up a termas with an attached restaurant where you can bang the waitresses for dessert.

EA
Actually, such a place does exist in Bangkok, in the Galaxy Entertainment Complex. You can have dinner at the No Hands Restaurant, where a beautiful young Thai girl will feed you, and after you've finished dinner you can take her next door to the Versailles massage parlor and fuck her. I did this a few years ago; quite an experience! Here's a link: http://www.galaxyentertainment.freeservers.com/.

Now why doesn't some entrepreneurial soul bring this idea to Brazil?

Lorenzo

Pipe Layer99
01-10-07, 10:48
You guys are killing me. I am ready to book my next flight back to Rio. I wanna hear the words gostoso and delicioso and .......... then maybe got to Thailand to tyr the next bet, nah just kidding. I'll take Brazil.
Chicago is good for some Latina cuchi. but sometimes its talkes as few dates.
See what I mean here. DD

Bubba Boy
01-11-07, 01:43

EA

That would work for me. Kind of like one of my all time favourite clubs in the world which happens to be in Vienna. http://www.babylon1.com/

Bubba Boy
01-18-07, 21:42
Some one posted that they had attended or knew of a university in Ipanema or Leblom that had Portuguese courses for foreigners. I went back through the whole thread can anybody remember what uni it was or have details?

Ardgneas
01-18-07, 22:37
Delicioso, for whatever reason, I really don't recall, whether in bed or in a restaurant. "É uma delícia", yes, but delicioso, no. Honestly ;)I partly agree with you, I've heard "delicioso" in relation to food but never "gostoso". However I've never heard it used in a sexual context. Normally it's "Que delícia!" or more commonly "gostoso".

IME "gostoso" wasn't as common 6/7 years ago in Rio. Now it seems to be trotted out at tables at TA or within 5 seconds of the sex starting. I wonder if it's to do with guys becoming familiar with the word thru fora like this one, using "vc é gostosa", and it's just been regurgitated and assimilated into standard puta speak like "Fuck me baby". IMO it no longer has any real significance when heard in Copa from a GDP.

Dodger Bulldog
01-19-07, 02:57
That would work for me. Kind of like one of my all time favourite clubs in the world which happens to be in Vienna. http://www.babylon1.com/Yes, Bubba, it is a classy place full of fabulous girls from all over Eastern Europe.

But with the cover charge now up to 130 euros, which can be applied towards the 430 euros for an hour session, I didn't find that the food was THAT good!

DB

Lorenzo
01-19-07, 06:09
Some one posted that they had attended or knew of a university in Ipanema or Leblom that had Portuguese courses for foreigners. I went back through the whole thread can anybody remember what uni it was or have details?
You are probably talking about IBEU (Instituto Brasil-Estados Unidos), which has locations in Copa, Barra, and Centro, not sure about Ipanema. Here's a link to their website: http://www.ibeu.com.br/. Their website gives a lot less information than it used to, so you'll probably have to email them for the dates of the courses. However, they are offered throughout the year.

IBEU exists primarily to teach English to Brazilians, so teaching Portuguese to foreigners is a sideline. The classes are for two hours a day, four days a week for 4 weeks, followed by an exam. There are 3 levels, basic, intermediate, and advanced. I took the intermediate in 2004 and it was very good, small class, only 3 students. All conversation in class is in Portuguese. I intended to take the advanced but so far haven't gotten around to it. Highly recommended.

Lorenzo

Mangera
01-19-07, 13:13
What was the cost for the 4 week course?

Lorenzo
01-19-07, 23:02
What was the cost for the 4 week course?
If my memory serves me correctly it was R850. Of course, the exchange rate was a lot better in 2004.

Rosine
01-28-07, 09:59
I've purchased the basic Pimsleur Brazilian Portuguese now two times. It's a hell of a resource and gets you where you need to be on that first tier of communication with GDPs. I'm wondering about an extra level though. What do guys use? Do you mostly get all parts of Pimsleur's Brazilian Portuguese? My understanding is that there is a basic editon offered for like $30 or so. Then there is a larger edition parts 1, 2 and 3, each for like $200. Is that best to really learn the language? I'd like to learn it better so that I can better navigate this trip. All input is appreciated. Thanks.

R

Bubba Boy
01-28-07, 18:21
Yes the basic edition, i think it has the first 8 lessons, is well worth it for $20-$30.

Every first time visitor should do this, 8 lessons at 30 minutes each, everybody should just do this. Those few words will mean a great deal because most girls don't speak English and you will have a much much better time even if you can just say a few words, gives more amunition to joke around and get to know people.

The set of Pimsleur I,II,III is well worth it for some one that intends to go to Brasil regularly. Yes they are $200 each or a lot of people "borrow" a copy of friends etc, hence you should be able to get access to it for less than this. I have seen the set listed in MP3 format for $200, that is for all 3 copies. I am not sure how ligit this edition is or if it is still available, shop around a lot, you will save big bucks getting it from the best source.

George90
01-28-07, 18:51
I've purchased the basic Pimsleur Brazilian Portuguese now two times. It's a hell of a resource and gets you where you need to be on that first tier of communication with GDPs. I'm wondering about an extra level though. What do guys use? Do you mostly get all parts of Pimsleur's Brazilian Portuguese? My understanding is that there is a basic editon offered for like $30 or so. Then there is a larger edition parts 1, 2 and 3, each for like $200. Is that best to really learn the language? I'd like to learn it better so that I can better navigate this trip. All input is appreciated. Thanks.

RI used Pimsleur as well and found it well worth the money. But the best way to really learn Portuguese is to go to Brazil, get with a chica, and practice with her!

Magic2000
01-28-07, 21:01
I used Pimsleur as well and found it well worth the money. But the best way to really learn Portuguese is to go to Brazil, get with a chica, and practice with her!I have done all parts of Pimsler and then I found that after this the next best learning stage higher is Sonia Portuguese, I have done all of these and I found that after this stage the only thing left as gerrge90 says is to talk with a chica to get the practice.

The learning accelerates when you are actually speaking with people, it is just how it is, everyone I have met says this too.

Sui Generis
01-29-07, 15:14
I used Pimsleur as well and found it well worth the money. But the best way to really learn Portuguese is to go to Brazil, get with a chica, and practice with her!There's maybe a step before speaking with a garota in Brazil. If you live in a big city, like a do, there's always the possibility to take Portuguese lessons at the university.

Even if a was fluent in Portuguese (or I thought I was) - because I lived there two years between 1982 and 1984 - after twenty years without visiting that country, I had to refresh my knowledge of this language.

The first thing I did was to enroll in a conversation class. This was funny and very beneficial! The teacher was a young girl from São Paulo (who was doing her Ph.D. in Montreal) and we were 5 in the class. She helped me to polish up my style and to correct my pronunciation. For example, I had the bad habit of stressing the final «s» in brazilian words, speaking a «pois pois» style like they do in Rio. For example I was pronouncing «dois» or «tres» this way: DoiSSSHHHH, treSSSHHH. How ugly it was! Now, because of her help my sotaque (accent) is more standard and less «caipira» (hillbilly!)
I got a lot from this conversation class.

After that, I took two grammar classes at the university. The teacher was a funny old woman from Minas Gerais. I studied in depth the brazilian grammar. She also helped me with my pronunciation. I get rid of giría words and she helped me to speak in a more refined or sophisticated way.

Here in Montreal, I maintain my conversational style with two brazilian friends that are nordestinas (one from João Pessoa is fuckable - but I have no intent to fuck her - and the other, from Belém, is not).

I also try to maintain fluency in writing (maybe thrice a week) something in a brazilian forum.

Aybolit
01-31-07, 07:12
I'm done with Pimsleur and I'm trying to work on my pronunciation. I found that the best way to do that outside of Brazil is to read something, while someone is reading it outloud in portoguese, like an audiobook for example. Does anyone have any resourses on that online?

I cant find much. Maybe a radio station that has transcipts. Or audiobooks I can download somewhere?

Thanx if anyone knows.

Rio Bob
01-31-07, 13:25
I'm done with Pimsleur and I'm trying to work on my pronunciation. I found that the best way to do that outside of Brazil is to read something, while someone is reading it outloud in portoguese, like an audiobook for example. Does anyone have any resourses on that online?

I cant find much. Maybe a radio station that has transcipts. Or audiobooks I can download somewhere?

Thanx if anyone knows.

Did you check this one out?

Java Man
01-31-07, 18:55
for the FSI course:

http://fsi-language-courses.com/Portuguese.aspx

Mr Enternational
02-05-07, 05:48
Even if a was fluent in Portuguese (or I thought I was) - because I lived there two years between 1982 and 1984 - after twenty years without visiting that country, I had to refresh my knowledge of this language.You are telling me. I have a degree in French and studied in Toulouse. In the 6 years that I have been learning Portuguese and Spanish, I can still read and understand French easily but I give the deer in the headlights look whenever it is my turn to talk.

The first thing I did was to enroll in a conversation class. This was funny and very beneficial! The teacher was a young girl from São Paulo (who was doing her Ph.D. in Montreal) and we were 5 in the class. She helped me to polish up my style and to correct my pronunciation. For example, I had the bad habit of stressing the final «s» in brazilian words, speaking a «pois pois» style like they do in Rio. For example I was pronouncing «dois» or «tres» this way: DoiSSSHHHH, treSSSHHH. .My teacher was also a young chick from São Paulo. She was married to a guy from Rio state. She was working on her master's in something while I was working on my MBA. They always let the master's students from Brazil teach the undergrad Portuguese classes at my school. When I asked her about the 'sh' on the end of 's' ending words that I always hear she said that only Cariocas speak that way because they are snobbish and want to be different from everyone else. She noted that her husband who is not from the city does not speak that way.

Bubba Boy
02-07-07, 17:21
An interestering course recommended by some punters on this board.

http://www.cce.puc-rio.br/letras/portuguesingles.htm

----------------
And another option.

IBEU. Here is some information about our Portuguese Program.
We offer 3 levels in our Portuguese Program: Port 1, 2 and 3. At the end of Port 3 you get a certificate.
Each level takes 4 weeks, and each 4 weeks costs R$ 976.00. You can pay cash or with Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
Classes meet from Monday through Thrusday from 10:30 to 12:30.
The book is not included in the price. You can buy it here in the same building of our branch, at a bookstore called SBS, or in most good bookstores in town.
The teachers are highly qualified. All of them have graduated in the Letras course, and undergo frequent training.
We accept up to 10 people in each group but we usually have 5 to 6.
The dates for this year are:
Februay 12 - March 20
March 26 - April 26
May 2 - May 31
June 4 - July 4
July 30 - August 28
September 3 - October 2
October 8 - November 7
November 12 - December 13
We are located on Av. Nossa Senhora de Copacabana, 690, 5th floor. It´s between, Santa Clara St. and Figueiredo de Magalhães St. here in Rio de Janeiro.
We have a placement test on our website - www.ibeu.org.br

Aybolit
02-10-07, 17:46
http://www.learn-portuguese-now.com/index.html

Orgasm Donor
03-02-07, 13:14
That is a great site Aybolit! Thank You!

I bought the Rosetta Stone Brasilian Portuguese courses 1 and 2.
My opinion on this system is that it is "gimmicky". I think I will return both courses for a refund. Ridiculously expensive too.

I feel I have learned much more with the Pimsleur courses 1 and 2. Definitely worth it for me.

But I have been studying the Pimsleur very hard. I make sure I know my lesson inside-out, and review the same lesson several times, take notes, before moving on to the next lesson.

I bought the Pimsleur lessons from a guy selling them near Meia Pataca (RJ) around lunch time. Got a whole bunch of bootleg and trial software from him for about $100 USD.

OD

Java Man
03-03-07, 08:22
www.freelang.net

i posted this on the general info forum in response to someone looking for an online translator.

this site has a lot of language info and not just for portuguese.

from their homepage:

"how can freelang help you?

if you need to install a bilingual dictionary in your computer
freelang offers a free offline dictionary program. install the program once, then download as many languages as you need. you can browse the word lists, add your own words or create your own dictionary!

if you need a short translation: free help by email
use our free translation help service to contact a translator and get some help for free, as long at is not too long and not for a commercial purpose. you can also join us as a translator, everybody is welcome!

if you need a short translation or you have questions: help in our forum
our forum is also at your disposal if you need help translating something, or if you wish to help other people. browse existing topics or open a new one, and meet our friendly members!

if you need a longer translation: ask for a free quotation
if your translation doesn't meet the terms of our free service, please contact us and we will get back to you with a free quotation. we work with professional translators who offer great prices and deliver quality translations on time.

if you need a dictionary just to look up a few words... now!
thanks to our selection of online dictionaries and translators, you can look up the definition or the translation of a word and get an instant result, or have a text translated automatically (don't expect a fully correct translation, though).

if you need a translation in all languages
"i love you" in all languages, "peace" in as many languages as possible, these are classics and we already had them translated. check out our collection of expressions in all languages, or enter our dedicated forum, where we always add many words and expressions.

if you need a handheld dictionary that you can carry everywhere…
you can buy great electronic pocket dictionaries in our shop, thanks to our sponsor, ectaco. more than just dictionaries, these devices include common phrases and grammar references, they are based on advanced speech recognition technologies and have the added functions of a business organizer.

translation software
covering study materials, full-text translation, speaking and non-speaking dictionaries, and localization software, our translation software are available for most major platforms and os including windows, pocket pc, palm os, smartphones and others.

if you need a font
if you need to write or read a document in a language that uses a non-romanized alphabet, choose a font in our font center. from arab to vietnamese, including hebrew, japanese... a collection of more than 300 fonts available to download on one page and from one server (no dead link!).

test your knowledge with our quizzes!
it's time to sit back and relax with our magazine. test your knowledge with our online quizzes, read some interviews of our authors and translators, or send one of our virtual postcards to a friend.

moving on? start from our link center
browse our link center and find the best websites dedicated to foreign languages. don't forget to add freelang to your favorites before you move on!"

Aybolit
03-19-07, 23:47
Hey guys, so im in Rio now, loving it and enjoying it 100%.

I need to find a Portuguese class for the next month somewhere in Rio for at least 4 hours of instruction per day, not too expensive, preferrable a group class. I have an apartment in Copa, so something close by would be a plus, but i wouldnt mind traveling for quality of instruction or cheaper price. My portuguese is decent right now, but i want it to be perfect.

Please let me know if you know of any places that are good.

Right now I know of 0 places, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Pelicano
03-24-07, 22:18
At the IBEU, You will have the best environment to learn portuguese correctly, for about 900 reais per month.

The website is: www.ibeu.com.br and the copacabana school is located at:

Av. N. Sra. de Copacabana, 690 - 5º andar
Copacabana - RJ - Cep: 22050-001
Tel/Fax: 2548-8430

[QUOTE=Aybolit]Hey guys, so im in Rio now, loving it and enjoying it 100%.

I need to find a Portuguese class for the next month somewhere in Rio for at least 4 hours of instruction per day, not too expensive, preferrable a group class. I have an apartment in Copa, so something close by would be a plus, but i wouldnt mind traveling for quality of instruction or cheaper price. My portuguese is decent right now, but i want it to be perfect.

Benjoe
04-12-07, 01:51
What does "GG" mean in an escort ad?

Thanks.

Benjoe
04-12-07, 23:56

Thanks.

My guess is "glub glub", which means she swallows.

Member #4156
04-13-07, 00:08
GG is another way of saying extra large i.e. grande grande. Just my guess from my brasilian shopping experience.

Mr Enternational
04-13-07, 01:54

Thanks.Never seen it. What is the exact wording of the add?

Benjoe
04-13-07, 21:33
Never seen it. What is the exact wording of the add?
"G.G. insaciavel !!! "

Sui Generis
04-13-07, 22:26
Habitually GG follows a description of a physical attribute, like breasts or ass and it means GIGANTE, which means big, huge.

Benjoe
04-13-07, 22:31
Habitually GG follows a description of a physical attribute, like breasts or ass and it means GIGANTE, which means big, huge.
I thought it could mean "grelo gigante", which means giant clit, but "glub glub" still sounds better.

Java Man
04-13-07, 23:24
insaciavel = insatiable
WOW! an insatiable garota....
Now we just need to figure out what G.G. stands for. I don't recall see it in an escort ad, but then again I'm too busy looking at the pictures. :)
Benjoe, can you provide a link to the ad?

Member #4156
04-13-07, 23:25
Exactly!

Also, if you notice in some of their textiles, the tags would read "G" or "GG" for large and XL, however for a person like myself that would still be too small :)

Benjoe
04-14-07, 03:07
insaciavel = insatiable
WOW! an insatiable garota....
Now we just need to figure out what G.G. stands for. I don't recall see it in an escort ad, but then again I'm too busy looking at the pictures. :)
Benjoe, can you provide a link to the ad?

GG can mean extra large, but when dealing with sex translating Brazilian Portuguese is usually not so straightforward and literal -- and more slang.

http://www.hotside.com.br/arianegasques.htm

I think it means she cannot get enough leite na boca.

Java Man
04-14-07, 04:28
G.G.
I just saw the ad.
I'd guess Garota Gostosa. What you guys think?
btw, that's a big garota: 38/40 maniquiem, 106cm de quadril, but she carries it well. lol

RonnyRon
04-14-07, 05:03
Whenever I have read an ad the girl is referring to her the size or length of her CLITORIS. The actual Portuguese term for girls with large clits may be Greludas.

RR

Sperto
04-14-07, 07:08
GG=Grelo Grande.

Big clitoris.

Sui Generis
04-14-07, 08:10
I am not quite convinced that we've got here the right meaning of g.g.

If g.g. is grelo grande, then "g.g. insaciável" doesn't make sense. Only a person can be "insaciável" not a part of a body (even if it's used as a synecdoche).

I would be tempted, following Chingon, to interpret one of the "g" as "garota". Then it could mean, garota grande, garota gigante...and why not: garota gulosa! (greedy) LOL

I found an article on the Web analyzing the semantinc dimension of ads in the newspapers. It doesn't give an answer to the term g.g. but I think that it is worth reading.

http://www.filologia.org.br/ixcnlf/12/07.htm

SlickdySlick
04-14-07, 09:16
You know the bad part is when I read these ads in english BBW WFSBM and the like I can't figure it out and sometimes it can mean one thing to one person and something else to someone else, I assuming the same could hold true in Port? SASE took me a long time to get Self Addressed Stamped Envelope LOL

Benjoe
04-14-07, 13:36
GG: Glub Glub still makes more sense. Glub Glub is Brazilian slang which (I think) means a woman does CIM and swallows.

I did a search in a Brazilian sex forum and found these:

"Engoliu tudinho. GLUB, GLUB!" (She swallowed everything. Glub, Glub.)
"aquela boca quente me engolindo... Glub, glub, glub... Gozei! " (this hot mouth swallowed me...Glub, glub, glub...I came)
In addition, there was this: "Grelo: 8 - GG " ; in this context, GG does mean extra large.

And it really does all comes down to being about dinheiro na bolsa.

Jesuscola
04-14-07, 14:14
"Dinheiro na mão, calcinhas no chão..."

Sperto
04-14-07, 17:40
Again, G G means Grelo Grande (big clitoris). Now it's confirmed by the source.

I just called Ariane and asked her about the meaning of G G. First she thought I was joking (she laughs very sexy) and then she told me about her giant clit.
BTW, she charges R$ 250.

Benjoe
04-14-07, 23:50
Again, G G means Grelo Grande (big clitoris). Now it's confirmed by the source.

I just called Ariane and asked her about the meaning of G G. First she thought I was joking (she laughs very sexy) and then she told me about her giant clit.
BTW, she charges R$ 250.
Goooool. Obrigado.

Tell us if her clit really is insatiable.

RonnyRon
04-15-07, 02:45
Sperto will never know, since he will have 10 different girls for that price. LOL. More power to him.

RR

Benjoe
04-15-07, 15:51
Sperto will never know, since he will have 10 different girls for that price. LOL. More power to him.

RR
There are many ways to do Rio and am glad guys are exploring them. He must have a pau insaciável and is getting a lot of bang for the buck.

Jan 156
04-20-07, 17:05
I'm always trying to improve on my basics, so yesterday bought a 'Learn Brasilian Portuguese' pack with two CDs and exercise book. It's not bad, one of the 'teach yourself' guides, but the thing I thought might be of interest to first time mongers in Brasil is something I picked up almost as an afterthought.

It was called Teach Yourself Portuguese in One Day. It's basically a CD with a tiny booklet. (You don't need the booklet). The thing is, it's very cheap, you can listen to it in an hour, take it on the plane to revise it, and have all the basic phrases at your fingertips without any hard 'studying.'

The techniques are very clever. It takes the form of the expert sitting next to someone on a one-hour flight (actors of course) and bets them a bottle of champagne they can teach them fifty words of Portuguese. The chap goes through what we all go through, struggling to 'fluent', using various aide-memoires on the way.

It is Portuguese rather than Brasilian Portuguese, but the latter is still generally understood in Brasil so not a problem. I only noticed a major pronunciation difference (Cariocas soften the 'd' sound to 'j' on "bom dia") and of course Brasil is too Americanised to call an omnibus by its Portuguese name! But all the hellos, thank yous, asking for things, they are the the same. When you think how much of a struggle it is the first time you try to make light intro chit-chat, this CD is quite a godsend - especially if, like me, you are lazy as hell with languages.

El Austriaco
04-22-07, 23:53
... and of course Brasil is too Americanised to call an omnibus by its Portuguese name!
You know, I have always found Brazilian Portuguese to be much less Americanized than other languages (say, Mexican or Venezuelan Spanish, for example), and many words in Brazilian Portuguese that are unknown in Continental Portuguese (Lusoportuguese) actually come from Indian languages. But are certainly right, there are some lexical differences between Continental Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese, and pronunciation is definitely quite different. I am saying that as somewhat who initially studied Portuguese with a teacher from Lisbon, and then at the University of Coimbra. Years later, I went to Brazil to change my pronunciation, and it was an extremely difficult process. I remember the first flight from Rio to Salvador da Bahia with VARIG... I understood nothing!!! :)

Here's a good introduction to Continental vs. Brazilian Portuguese:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_Portuguese

Hope this helps!

EA

Sui Generis
04-23-07, 20:16
You know, I have always found Brazilian Portuguese to be much less Americanized than other languages (say, Mexican or Venezuelan Spanish, for example),
EA

Good observation EA, but I don't know if I can fully agree with you.

Just two examples (among many others).

There's a word in Brazilian Portuguese that express «delivery service». This Brazilian Portuguese word is «entrega», which forms the verb «entregar» (to deliver), like in the following sentence: entregamos em domícil (We deliver to your house).

You can read this in this ad, for example: Entregas em Sao Paulo sem taxa adicional. (Deliveries in São paulo without extra tax).

Source: http://www.hotfrog.com.br/Empresas/Bocadinho

However, nowadays, it is more common to hear the English word: deliverey when we are talking about a «delivery service».

Now here's an example from the Web page of a restaurant in Jardim which uses the word «delivery»:

http://www.angelfire.com/fl/anapuodzius/kuru.html

Notice that they use the loan word «delivery», as almost eveybody does in São Paulo (I don't know for the rest of Brazil).

The second example is quite spectacular. I remember that I bought typical gifts from my country (Québec/Canada) to my friends in Brazil, like «Canadian Ice wine», «Blueberry wine», «Oka cheese», «Canadian Whisky» and of course «Maple Syrup».

I thought I was clever when I used the word «xarope de bordo» to translate «Maple syrup» but almost all my friends laughed at me...in Brazil «Maple Syrup» is simply called «Maple Syrup»!!!!!!!!! Doooooh!

Now I realize that I'm not the only one to be puzzled how to translate «Maple Syrup» in Brazilian Portuguese, because I found this Web page devoted to this question:

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1215109

So, I believe that there's more English words than ever in Brazilian POrtuguese.

El Austriaco
04-23-07, 20:44
Sure, just like any other language out there, there is an increasing amount of loanwords from English, especially in the technology-related fields (computers, telecom, Internet come to mind right now) and finance, for example. Also, I doesn't surprise me a whole lot that a word like "maple syrup" is retained in its English form, considering that it was probably not indigenous to Brazil, and I guess it remains a product associated with American culture. I am not sure about this, though.

Delivery vs. entrega is interesting indeed. My most educated guess would be that, since English is en vogue, these service providers are attempting to add a touch of classiness to their offering, to make it more upscale-sounding, by deliberately americanizing it. Again, this would not exactly be limited to Brazil, as this is happening in a lot of countries around the world. Here in Mexico, for example, they no longer say "jardin de infancia", but simply "kinder" (actually derived from the English "kindergarden", not from the German "Kindergarten" on which "kindergarden" is obviously based). Just today, I read an ad in an Austrian newspaper with the headline "Fashion für Girls & Boys". That's three English words in a four-word phrase. Needless to say, all these English words have German equivalents that are perfectly acceptable. But apparently, the English sounded more "hip".

And as you certainly know (of course, as a linguist), there are many instances where two or several words may coexist for a while until one takes preference, or one simply becomes obsolete, or maybe they coexist forever, with a semantic differentiation or not. The same might be happening with entrega vs. delivery.

Anyhow. Whether onibus (the example Christopherd initially used as an Americanism in BR) is indeed loaned from English, I am not sure. The Luso-Portuguese (autocarro, AFAIK) doesn't seem like an original Portuguese word, either, though. Would have to check into its etymology (and into that of onibus, too).

EA

P.S.: On an interesting side note, when I lived in the US, ALL the pizza delivery guys in my city (SF) were Brazilians, mostly from Goiás. Could it be that some of them are moving back to Brazil and open their own businesses, emphasizing their "American style pizza service" through mixing BR with English?

Sui Generis
04-23-07, 21:00
EA

P.S.: On an interesting side note, when I lived in the US, ALL the pizza delivery guys in my city (SF) were Brazilians, mostly from Goiás. Could it be that some of them are moving back to Brazil and open their own businesses, emphasizing their "American style pizza service" through mixing BR with English?

It's always a pleasure to read your posts EA!

I agree with you that English pervades all languages. In German we call this hybrid language «Denglish». It's funny to observe how new technologies modify the syntax of German and to see the number of new words tha sound English but are not even English.

In SF, Pizza delivery guys are Brazilians? No wonder....just observe how the motoboys (another loan word from English) swerve between the cars in Sampa.....they are pros!!!!!!!

Bizzie
04-26-07, 03:06
Help please,
I have been readning many of the phrases for daily use and have downloaded a few MP3 that need a written page to along with it,
Can someone help me with a link to downloadable phrases that are in English followed by Portugese (especially those that are useful when dealing with GDPs).
I am not trying to become fluent but just learn enough to get by during my trip.

Jan 156
04-26-07, 05:20
Help please,
I have been readning many of the phrases for daily use and have downloaded a few MP3 that need a written page to along with it,
Can someone help me with a link to downloadable phrases that are in English followed by Portugese (especially those that are useful when dealing with GDPs).
I am not trying to become fluent but just learn enough to get by during my trip.

http://www.byki.com/ might be of use. The freebie download covers phrases you need like saying hello and stuff and quite a few other categories, and in Brasilian (rather than European) Portuguese. The soundfiles are nice and clear and it's easy to use.

I don't know one that is solely dedicated to getting bunda and does soundfiles though. Use discretely polite body language (like polyfiller to cover the cracks in your vocabulary). Brasilians are very polite and very into body language when they talk. And lots of the girls will help you of course.

Jan 156
04-28-07, 09:16
If someone who is more fluent than I in Portuguese might want to do it, a helpful post would probably be a list of simple questions, all of which require a yes/no answer, that could be put over the phone to an escort agency - or (a bit harder as most agencies speak English) an O Globo advert. Any offers?

Member #4156
05-20-07, 16:40
Does anyone know what Apanhar means? For years I've been trying to understand an excerpt to one of my favorite songs:

Apanhei do meu pai
Apanhei da vida
Apanhei da policia
Apanhei da media

I don't quite understand but from the tone of the rest of the song I think the word is closely related to despise but I could be wrong.

Sperto
05-20-07, 17:34
Does anyone know what Apanhar means?
Apanhar is when you get a beating.

Exec Talent
05-20-07, 18:21
Apanhar is when you get a beating.

Like what happens when loud mouthed gringos go to VM or centro and behave like they do in Copa?

Sperto
05-20-07, 21:08
Like what happens when loud mouthed gringos go to VM or centro and behave like they do in Copa?
Yes, that could be the case.

Shemp
05-30-07, 05:28
could you please help me say 2 kinky things in portuguese?

1) i want to watch you [CodeWord134] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord134)?

eu quero verte fazer xixi? correct or not?

2) i want you to [CodeWord134] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord134) on me.

eu quero...............?

i want to use the phrases next week in 4 x 4 & at my apt. thanks for your help.

shemp

George90
05-30-07, 06:50

1) i want to watch you [CodeWord134] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord134)?

2) i want you to [CodeWord134] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord134) on me.

eu quero...............?

shemp

1) i am not sure 'ver' (to see) is the best verb to use for 'to watch' an activity. 'assistir' can be used as well as 'olhar' (to look at). as you are requesting this activity politely, you should use the conditional tense and subjunctive mood.

queria / gostaria olhar-se fazer xixi.
queria / gostaria olhar quando voce faz xixi.
queria / gostaria olhar voce fazer xixi.
queria / gostaria assistir quando voce faz xixi.

2)
queria / gostaria que voce faca xixi em mim.
queria / gostaria que voce faca xixi comigo.
queria / gostaria que voce me utilize como um toalete.

there is a guy who has posted about receiving rep002s, i believe, in brazil. you might want to check the archives. good luck.

El Austriaco
05-30-07, 07:16

eu quero...............?

shemp
1) (eu) gostaria assistir vc fazer xixi.
2 (eu) gostaria vc fazer xixi sobre mim.

i think these infinitive constructions are more common that the subjunctive structures specified by george90 below (although i am sure that most, if not all, will be understood). i do think, though, that "em mim" means "in me", and "comigo" means with me, so there is certainly potential for misunderstanding there.

also, instead of "fazer xixi", you could use "mijar" (literally, "[CodeWord140] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord140)").

ea

Exec Talent
05-30-07, 07:50
Pronounced she she.

George90
05-30-07, 18:59
I do think, though, that "em mim" means "in me", and "comigo" means with me, so there is certainly potential for misunderstanding there.

I agree. I have great difficulty with certain prepositions. Especially 'em' which can be translated in 'at', 'in', 'on', or 'to', depending on the context. Given the nature of the request, you can expect her to ask you to repeat yourself a few times so she can be sure she understood you corrrectly.

Also, instead of "fazer xixi", you could use "mijar" (literally, "[CodeWord140] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord140)").

EA

The verb 'mijar' is a new one for me. Thanks for the vocabulary lesson.

El Austriaco
05-30-07, 19:13
The verb 'mijar' is a new one for me. Thanks for the vocabulary lesson.
"Fazer xixi" is the polite way to express it (like "number 1" in English), and that's what is used almost exclusively by children or in reference to children. "Mijar" is certainly a bit more crude and therefor used more by adults. The variation "dar uma mijada" can be roughly translated as "take a [CodeWord140] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord140)". BTW, "mijar" is the same as the Spanish "mear".

EA

Shemp
05-31-07, 05:55
gentleman,

thanx for your help with my kinky language translations.
i will report back as to whether i get slapped or i get a [CodeWord103] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord103).
i imagine 4 x 4 girls have heard just about everything.

xixi forever

shemp

Mr Enternational
06-01-07, 00:23
Shemp,

I took one for the team. After agreeing with EA, that the correct thing to say would be, "Eu gostaria de vc fazer xixi sobre mim, " I tried it with a lawyer friend of mine.

First she said that I should say, "Eu gostaria de voce fazer xixi encima de mim. "

Or, if you want to [CodeWord140] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord140) on her say, "Tenho vontade fazer xixi encima de voce. "

Then she got a little agitated and said that Americans don't want anything and don't take anything serious. That we only think about dollars and more dollars. She added that fazer xixi were not nice words when making love.

Then she came to say that it is more gentlemanly and romantic to say, "Eu tenho desejo que vc se senta encima de mim" (which to me has nothing to do with pissing; but, only sitting on top of someone. I swear those people (Brazilians) never listen and can never answer the question that they were actually asked.)

I don't know how she came around to "Eu quero que voce se senta na minha boca" (I want you to sit on my mouth) and "Eu gostaria de por minha xereca na sua boca" (I would like to put my pussy in your mouth.)

Jayf1970
06-02-07, 17:28
Fellow mongers, would greatly appreciate your help with some of these phrases to be used during the act:
stop
don´t stop
slower
faster
turn around
(lie down) on your back
(lie down) on your stomach
(lie down) on your side
put your finger in your ass
put your finger in your pussy
Now I want to fuck you in the ass
I am in heaven!

Thanks a lot.

El Austriaco
06-02-07, 19:12
stop: Pára!
don´t stop: Não pare!
slower : Mais devagar (devagarinho)
faster Mais rápido (rápidinho)
turn around: Se vira
(lie down) on your back: Fica (Se deita) de costas
(lie down) on your stomach: Fica (Se deita) de barriga para baixo
(lie down) on your side: Fica de um lado
put your finger in your ass: enfia o seu dedo no cú
put your finger in your pussy: enfia o seu dedo na buceta
Now I want to fuck you in the ass: Agora, quero foder vc no cú
I am in heaven!: Estou no céu! (literally) Safadinha, que gostoso! Delícia (not so literally)

Well, that's my best guess :)

Mr Enternational
06-04-07, 22:29
While checking out namorando.com.br, the sexual orientation gives options of heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, and pansexual. What the hell is pansexual?

El Austriaco
06-05-07, 17:06
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pansexuality

This should answer it. In other words, someone who is extremely flexible in terms of his or her sexuality or sexual/romantic preferences.

EA

Aibolit
06-06-07, 03:23
Hello all,

In a few days I am visiting Brazil for the 1st time. Unfortunately, I don't speak a single word of Portuguese. So, I wonder whether you guys think it will be a good idea for me to prepare some written-out phrazes - kind of a checklist - before showing up in a club or terma. In other words, I am considering to show a garrota of my choice a card with things that I may like her to do and ask her to put a checkmark by the things that she'll agree to do with me.

While the idea is clearly a fusion of inventiveness and idiocy, I wonder whether you think it will be helpful? If so, will you be so kind to help me translate the following to the Protuguese:

1. Do you do CIM?
2. Do you do anal?
3. Do you do BBBJ
4. Do you do multiple positions?
5. Is there anything that you don't do?

Many thanks for your help!

Aibolit

El Austriaco
06-06-07, 06:12
1. Do you do CIM?
2. Do you do anal?
3. Do you do BBBJ?

1. VC deixa gozar na sua boca?
2. VC faz anal? (more informally: VC toma no cú?)
3. VC faz boquete sem camisinha?
4. VC faz várias posições?
5. Tem alguma coisa que VC não faz?

Since you mentioned you don't speak Portuguese, "VC" stands for "você", which is pronounced "wosEH" (stress on the last syllable).

And the answers to questions 1 through 4 should be "Sim" (Yes), question 5 should elicit a "Não" (No).

Hope this helps!

EA

Jayf1970
06-06-07, 15:34
Aibolit, my personal preference, if (when) I was in your situation, would be to memorize these phrases. Big part of the fun of visiting Termas for me is to flirt with the girls in the boate. Imagine this: you´re sitting there wearing a bath robe, the girl puts her hand inside and is playing with your cock, you two are kissing. And then you ask her if she would like to kiss your friend without a condom? Now compare that with showing her a card. You might make a few mistakes initially, but will have a completely different quality of experience.

Regarding your last 2 questions, fellow brethrens correct me if I´m wrong, I wouldn´t even bother with question 4. I have been with more than 30 women in Rio and had multiple positions with every one of them without ever mentioning it. Also, if you covered your basic requirements in questions 1-3, I wouldn´t bother with question 5 either. Its just too open ended and you never know what the girl might think.

Hello all,

In a few days I am visiting Brazil for the 1st time. Unfortunately, I don't speak a single word of Portuguese. So, I wonder whether you guys think it will be a good idea for me to prepare some written-out phrazes - kind of a checklist - before showing up in a club or terma. In other words, I am considering to show a garrota of my choice a card with things that I may like her to do and ask her to put a checkmark by the things that she'll agree to do with me.

While the idea is clearly a fusion of inventiveness and idiocy, I wonder whether you think it will be helpful? If so, will you be so kind to help me translate the following to the Protuguese:

1. Do you do CIM?
2. Do you do anal?
3. Do you do BBBJ

Aibolit

Mr Enternational
06-06-07, 21:40
Idiocy no. When learning language you have to start somewhere. And usually it is with numbers and simple phrases. I am happy to see that you are making an attempt.

Hello all,

While the idea is clearly a fusion of inventiveness and idiocy, I wonder whether you think it will be helpful?

Perkele
06-09-07, 14:52
turn around: Se vira

Don´t ever use "Se vira", unless you want the girl to go away.

Se vira means roughly, mind your own business.

Turn around is simply VIRA.

Ricton
06-24-07, 11:28
i am learning portuguese and decided to check out the 'before you know it' software someone mentioned on here. it's well worth getting the full version, as for learning vocabulary there's nothing better- honest! i am currently half way through the third part of the pimsleur course and have found that to be invaluable as well. just wished i had a nice bunda permanantly round here to practise with!

so, if your learning or thinking of learning to speak portuguese get the pimsleur and byki stuff. i also speak french and i know the only way to learn a language is to be speaking, and thats what you get from pimsleur, but the real trick to language is understanding what is being said when spoken at full speed!! now that takes time.

tchau. ricton.

Edward M
07-01-07, 02:57
Hello all,

1. Do you do CIM?
2. Do you do anal?
3. Do you do BBBJ

AibolitNot a bad idea although a little un-romantic LOL. Also the termas in Copa should have more girls that speak English than downtown. Here are some simple translations:

1. Do you do CIM? - "Posso gozar no boca?" (Can I come in your mouth?) This one is tricky though. You may want to follow up with: Gosta de engolir leite?
2. Do you do anal? - "Gosta de cu?"
3. Do you do BBBJ - "Chupa sem camisinha?"
4. Do you do multiple positions? - no need to ask this one
5. Is there anything that you don't do? - "Faz tudo?" or "Ha alguma coisa que voce nao faz?" However, you are better off asking specific things you want them to do.

Edward M
07-01-07, 03:46
4. Do you do multiple positions?Just so you know here are some translations of some common positions:

doggy = de quatro
missionary = na frente OR de papai e mamae
female superior = encima

Anybody know how to say reverse cowgirl? I always just say "encima" and then "vira".

Jesuscola
07-01-07, 14:15
"Fazer xixi" is the polite way to express it (like "number 1" in English), and that's what is used almost exclusively by children or in reference to children. "Mijar" is certainly a bit more crude and therefor used more by adults. The variation "dar uma mijada" can be roughly translated as "take a [CodeWord140] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord140)". BTW, "mijar" is the same as the Spanish "mear".

EAMost women will INSIST that they DO NOT "mijar," ONLY "fazer xixi."

One of my exes tried to get me to start saying I had to "fazer pipi." I told her I was not 8 and would "mijar" whenever I damned well felt like it ;)

Jesuscola
07-01-07, 14:57
Just so you know here are some translations of some common positions:

doggy = de quatro
missionary = na frente OR de papai e mamae
female superior = encima

Anybody know how to say reverse cowgirl? I always just say "encima" and then "vira"."Female superior," or "Cowgirl," is known as "Cavalgada," and "Reverse Cowgirl" is called "Cavalgada de Costas."

"69" is "69" in Portuguese, or "Meia-nove."

"Standing Up," is called "Em Pé."

Doggy can also be referred to by saying "de cachorrinho," which is how my current girl says it, although "de quatro" is more common.

And there is another position, "Frango Assado," which means you want her to hold her knees up by her ears--or put her legs over your shoulders--like a "Roast Chicken." ;)

Exec Talent
07-01-07, 21:12
Jesuscola,

Wanted to let you know I appreciate your posts although others might disagree. You seem willing to tell it like it is even if it goes against the grain of some of the Rio "experts." In the real world, I enjoy being around people who present different points of view. Here it is no different.

And, in my professional life, agreeing with me too often will get you fired. I already know what I think, I don't need some kiss ass parrotting my thoughts back to me.

Hope to see you posting more often.

Exec

P.S. Tried to send this via PM but you do not receive them.

Almotu
07-02-07, 02:42
... there is another position, "Frango Assado," which means you want her to hold her knees up by her ears--or put her legs over your shoulders--like a "Roast Chicken." ;)Have anyone tried to explain "the anal piledriver" = usually the girls shoulders are on the floor with her ass raised skyward so that you can plunge you **ck deep into her sph*****r! :eek: LOL!

Perkele
07-02-07, 11:17
2. Do you do anal? - "Gosta de cu?"

No! This means if she likes ass...

Gosta de tomar no cu? is correct translation. I´d use Anal because any talk related words, tomar and cu can easily be misundestsood. Vai tomar no cu! is very rude and will backfire any plans if used.

George90
07-03-07, 03:19
No! This means if she likes ass...

Gosta de tomar no cu? is correct translation. I´d use Anal because any talk related words, tomar and cu can easily be misundestsood. Vai tomar no cu! is very rude and will backfire any plans if used.

I agree. I have always used "Faz voce anal?" No GDP has ever used the words 'tomar' and 'cu' when discussing sex with me. 'Tomar' has the same use as in Spanish, having a drink.

Mr Enternational
07-03-07, 03:43
And there is another position, "Frango Assado," which means you want her to hold her knees up by her ears--or put her legs over your shoulders--like a "Roast Chicken." ;)

Yes the last girl who I posted about explained that one to me in mid-fuck. I fell off of her laughing and could not stop saying it for the rest of the night....Vamos fazer frango assado!

Mr Enternational
07-03-07, 03:53
I agree. I have always used "Faz voce anal?" No GDP has ever used the words 'tomar' and 'cu' when discussing sex with me. 'Tomar' has the same use as in Spanish, having a drink.

For me it's "Gosta de fazer anal?"

As for tomar it can be used for having a drink, but I more so understand it as "to take" like when you are going to take a drink, take a foto, or take medicine. A Dominican chick who I used to fool around with speaks perfect English because she was actually raised here in the states, but she always refers to "drinking medicine" whereas most Americans say "taking medicine."

Edward M
07-03-07, 05:08
Most women will INSIST that they DO NOT "mijar," ONLY "fazer xixi."

One of my exes tried to get me to start saying I had to "fazer pipi." I told her I was not 8 and would "mijar" whenever I damned well felt like it ;)A gorota once told me that men do not "xixi". It is a sissy kind of word only used by women and small children. Men mijam.

Dodger Bulldog
07-03-07, 05:26
she always refers to "drinking medicine" whereas most Americans say "taking medicine."I used to work in a psych hospital and all of our Latino patients who spoke in English talked of "drinking" their meds.

Since they use the same word for drink and take it is perfectly logical to them. Also, it makes sense as most people do down their meds with water. Except me, since I can't swallow a pill. I have to chew them, and believe me, most taste terrible.

Viagra's not bad, though.

This is one of the things I enjoy about learning other languages. It causes one to look at both the world and their mother tongue in a little different fashion.

DB

Jesuscola
07-03-07, 16:21
Jesuscola,

Wanted to let you know I appreciate your posts although others might disagree. You seem willing to tell it like it is even if it goes against the grain of some of the Rio "experts." In the real world, I enjoy being around people who present different points of view. Here it is no different.

And, in my professional life, agreeing with me too often will get you fired. I already know what I think, I don't need some kiss ass parrotting my thoughts back to me.

Hope to see you posting more often.

Exec

P.S. Tried to send this via PM but you do not receive them.Thanks very much, Exec Talent. Deeply appreciated.

Ricton
07-16-07, 21:13
Hi,

I've just finished the last lesson of Pimsleur part 3 and was wondering if anyone can recommend another course.

Cheers,

Ricton

Rump Humper
07-18-07, 14:37
Hi,

I've just finished the last lesson of Pimsleur part 3 and was wondering if anyone can recommend another course.

Cheers,

RictonRicton,

I finished Pimsluer 3 several years back. Unless you have fully mastered it, improved your accent, just keep with it and practicing with that. I have looked for something that has subjuctive tenses, but no luck. I believe there are few phrases in Pim. 3 that have subjuctive. I have job that had me in a car 15-20 hours per week and over the last 4 years I would guess I have listened to Pimsluer 1,200 to 1,500 hours. The benifit is that a lot of times when I am in Brazil sometimes it will take a Brazilian a few minutes to realize I am not a Brazilian, and then they will smile and say I speak great Portuguese. My first trip I didnt speak but a few phrases. After that I learned, and my fun factor started going thru the roof.

The best thing you can do is go down and get a girlfriend. In late 2005 I had a little spinner live with me for 4 months, and I didnt speak english during that time, and I also took about 150 hours of one on one instruction over the last 3 years on trips. Then I made a big jump in language leve. I still listen to Pim 3 right before I go down to brush up and get my tongue working in Portuguese. Get on Orkut.com and find Brazilians in your area to talk with.

My last trip was for 6 weeks this year in March and April. I began to learn the subjuctive from the same teacher I have had for the last 3 years. My teacher said that I am a low-fluent speaker, and that a person is not concidered fully fluent until they learn all of the subjunctive tenses. I can understand it, but usually forget to use it when I speak. Maybe someone else can it explain subjuctive here. It is used when expressing desire, orders, or hypothetical future conditions. Its hard because we dont have it in English.

P.S. For those of you who dont know "Coma" is the subjuctive conjugation order "to eat"....Valeu

Ricton
07-21-07, 20:36
Thanks for the reply. I was living in France with a French chick for a couple of years and could never get the hang of the subjunctive in French. It used to bug the hell out of my girl that I didnt use it. (She said it made me sound a bit dim!)To an English speaker its sort of meaningless. We do have it in English but never really use it. For example. It is important that I BE at the station at 10, is the subjunctive -I think. Anyway, yeah Ive started the Pimsleur course again, which was my intention, but have also started the Transparent Language now course as well. It seems quite good.

Anyone else out there who can enlighten me about this subjunctive malarky give us a yell.

Mais Tarde. R

Edward M
07-22-07, 02:30
Thanks for the reply. I was living in France with a French chick for a couple of years and could never get the hang of the subjunctive in French. It used to bug the hell out of my girl that I didnt use it. (She said it made me sound a bit dim!)To an English speaker its sort of meaningless. We do have it in English but never really use it. For example. It is important that I BE at the station at 10, is the subjunctive -I think. Anyway, yeah Ive started the Pimsleur course again, which was my intention, but have also started the Transparent Language now course as well. It seems quite good.

Anyone else out there who can enlighten me about this subjunctive malarky give us a yell.

Mais Tarde. RWow, if you lived in France for a few years and could not get it then I do not know if I can help you. I had the advantage of using it first in Spanish but there are differences. For example Spanish almost never uses the future subjunctive (mainly in legal documents I think) but it is very common in Portuguese, where the present and past subjunctive are also used.

Basically, the subjunctive is used to describe things that have not actually happened but you wish them to (hence the future subjunctive) or wish they had (the past subjunctive) or wish they were happening (present). The present is also used a formal imperative although I have found that among GDP it is very rarely used. They use the familiar imperative instead(eg. "fode!", "come!", "nao para!", "goza na minha boquinha", etc.)

I think to learn how to use it properly you just have to get into that mindset. Try translating it literally in your head and you will see that it sounds funny in English not to use it as well ("I wish you are here" vs "I wish you were here"). This is easiest with the past subjunctive and after getting used to it the future and then present tenses become easier to internalize. After a while with me, it just sounds funny to not use the subjunctive mood when it is warranted.

George90
07-22-07, 03:04
Learning the subjunctive mood is important for communicating well with Brazilians. In Latin America, there is a prejudice/bias against those who do not speak well. Using poor grammar is considered a sign of poor education and upbringing. Especially if you are a foreigner, using the subjunctive correctly will impress everyone A LOT!!!!!

In general, the subjunctive is used to express doubt, uncertainty, hopes, wishes, or and with non-factual statements like opinions.

Mr Enternational
07-22-07, 04:40
but george, would you say that even among brazilians there are more people who do not use or incorrectly use the subjunctive than there are those that do use or correctly use it? what i am getting at, being the linguist/polyglot that i am, is that standard written language differs from conversational language. and conversational language differs within itself depending on a person's education (as you alluded to) as well as the setting they are in. we speak with differently when we are around our parents and family elders than we do when we are around our friends and peers; differently when we are giving a formal presentation than when we are at our favorite mongering spot.

El Austriaco
07-22-07, 05:22
thanks for the reply. i was living in france with a french chick for a couple of years and could never get the hang of the subjunctive in french. it used to bug the hell out of my girl that i didnt use it. (she said it made me sound a bit dim!)
there is one important difference between french on one hand and portuguese (and spanish, btw) on the other: whereas in spoken french, the subjunctive is routinely discarded, in portuguese and spanish, it is not. in other words, even in the most informal speech in portuguese, using the subjunctive is not optional. not using it is simply incorrect.

on a side note, the subjunctive is somewhat less common in portuguese because of a structure called "infinitivo pessoal" which is used where the spanish would use a subjunctive structure. here's an example:

spanish: es importante que nosotros vayamos mañana.
portuguese: é importante (nos) irmos amanha.

and to make things even more complicated, portuguese also has a subjunctive form that doesn't even exist in spanish, the so-called "future subjunctive":

se vc tiver tempo, ligue para mim.

and to create complete confusion, sometimes, the ""infinitivo pessoal" looks just like the "future subjunctive" :)

more info: http://br.geocities.com/helcio_domingues/regularverbs2.html

ea

Exec Talent
07-22-07, 05:31
These videos cleared a lot of things up for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHpSCHxb780

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpt1jgzqVHw&mode=related&search=

BTW, most of the girls I have been with use cu.

Jan 156
07-23-07, 07:57
Just going back to the beginner level for a moment . . .

There's quite a bit of stuff on here that tells you how to ask if she will do anal with three guys and then let you come in her mouth <g> . . . but a lot of the value-added phrases are in the romantic cliches that the girls love. These are the ones they love putting in texts, and they sit up and pay attention when they get them back (ie drop their prices, get into GFE big time, and stay around longer).

I was collecting phrases from one girl's texts and re-using them to another girl. Worked a treat.

But there's a DVD out just now - one of the biggest music DVDs at the moment - called Banda Calypso 100%. There's a fairly hot looking blonde chick singing and dancing in it . . .

The point is, the songs are full of the romantic phrases that girls love, they are in current cool Portuguese and, best of all, you can pause it to switch between Portuguese subtitles and English titles.

Delaware Guy
07-24-07, 00:04
My very behind the times local library doesn't have Pimsleur Portugeuse, and there's just no way I'm going to pay over $400 for the set of 3. I've been looking on Ebay but can't even find anything lower than $250 or so for the set. If anybody out there has 1,2, and 3 on CD's that you'd like to sell (or even rent for a bit, I'm not proud) feel free to send me a PM.

Tigers787
07-24-07, 05:40
Hello all,

Need help with this few words. I tried to look them up but came up with zero.

1st word kinky and 2nd horny.

I dont know but its possible they may not have this 2 words.

Thank you in advance,

Tiger

Jesuscola
07-24-07, 18:28
Hello all,

Thank you in advance,

TigerTo be horny is "Estar com tesão. " As in, "Estou com muito tesão pra voce. " You can also use "fogo. " Fire. "Estou com muito fogo pra voce. " This is actually probably more common, now that I think about it.

"Kinky" is tougher. The closest you're going to get is "pervertido" which is not good. Perverted.

You're much better off using variations of "safada". If you want to call her "kinky" call her a "safada". It'll have the same effect. Or if you're talking about SOMETHING kinky, refer to it as "safadeza." I have also heard, "sacanagem" used in this sense, but it's more often used in the sense of "dirty trick" or "dirty joke".

"Voce gosta de safadeza? " Do you like kinky things?

That's your best bet.

Jesuscola
07-24-07, 18:34
Hello all,

Thank you in advance,

TigerYou have to modify your Portuguese depending on what you want to say. For instance, if you want to say, "You make me very horny," you would say, "Voce me dá muito fogo." Literally, you give me a lot of fire.

Or you can say, "Tenho muito fogo pra vc." I have a lot of fire for you.

Sui Generis
07-24-07, 19:01
Hello all,

Thank you in advance,

Tiger

There's not always a perfect match between two languages. The classical example is the difference indicated by Walter Benjamin between Brot and pain (both words meaning more the less « Bread » in English) or between « mouton (French: refering both to the animal and the meat of this animal) » and « lamb » (the animal) and « mutton » (the meat of this animal in in English) or again between bois (French) wood (English) and madera (the material)/bosque(a forest) in Spanish. )

Nowadays, contemporary translation studies have get rid of the notion of linguistic equivalence between words.

So, with this restriction in mind, I think that the two Brazilian words that are close enough to the meaning of horny and kinky are the following one:

tesão.
I'm horny! : Estou com tesão or Tô com tesão!

You make me feel horny! : Você me dá tesão!
Cê me dá tesão!

or

Tesão por Você!

kinky = safado or safada.

Exec Talent
07-24-07, 20:03
My girl always (and I mean ALWAYS) says eu tem tesão. Usually followed by muito. Sometimes she will write - desejo (desire) also.

George90
07-25-07, 04:32
I agree with the translation of 'safado' for 'kinky'. 'Safado' is most often used to express 'nymphomania' of 'sex mania', but it can also mean 'liking all types of sex' or 'sex without limits'.

My ladyfriend and I use 'mania por algo' to express kinkiness or pecadillos. I like anal so she says I have a 'mania por bunda' and 'mania por anal'.

Lonzof
07-25-07, 05:13
There is a gringo outside Meia Pataca most days selling the complete Pimsler and Rosetta Stone courses along with extra shit like translation software and games and curiosities and alphabet differences-all for US$100. Its about 10 CD's. He recruits some garotas to help him who get R$10 for each sale! His website is: http://www.geocities.com/learnportuguese2003/

Truant

For those of you who want to learn the language. Try using both Pimsluer and Rosetta Stone. I have both and really caught on quick with Pims. Haven't tried Rosetta yet. Good luck.

The Corn Hole
07-26-07, 04:10
My very behind the times local library doesn't have Pimsleur Portugeuse, and there's just no way I'm going to pay over $400 for the set of 3. I've been looking on Ebay but can't even find anything lower than $250 or so for the set. If anybody out there has 1,2, and 3 on CD's that you'd like to sell (or even rent for a bit, I'm not proud) feel free to send me a PM.

Forget that noise. Instead of paying $400 for the original CDs you can download them from a torrent for free. The torrents I downloaded were burned at 56 kbps so you can fit all 90 lessons on a 1GB mp3 player.

The guy in Copa who sells burned CDs at $100 a pop spends about $5 to $10 to make them and then sells them at a 1000% markup. A ripoff. Sure file sharing is illegal but at least nobody's making money off of it. This guy is profiting off of copywrited material. No reason for gringos to pay his rent every month as far as I'm concerned.

Pim is the best method for the novice speaker in my opinion. Much better for a beginner than Rossetta would be. Even if you complete all 90 lessons you still won't be fluent though.

Ryjerrob
07-29-07, 06:45
I remember a few months ago, someone posting something about a book of slang, or swearing or something to that effect. I went back and looked but didn't find anything. Does anyone remember this? And if so, can you please point me in the right direction.

ryjer

Lonzof
07-29-07, 06:49
Forget that noise. Instead of paying $400 for the original CDs you can download them from a torrent for free. The torrents I downloaded were burned at 56 kbps so you can fit all 90 lessons on a 1GB mp3 player.

The guy in Copa who sells burned CDs at $100 a pop spends about $5 to $10 to make them and then sells them at a 1000% markup. A ripoff. Sure file sharing is illegal but at least nobody's making money off of it. This guy is profiting off of copywrited material. No reason for gringos to pay his rent every month as far as I'm concerned.

Pim is the best method for the novice speaker in my opinion. Much better for a beginner than Rossetta would be. Even if you complete all 90 lessons you still won't be fluent though.

There are multiple ways of acquiring language lessons cheaper than buying directly from Pims. You've revealed an even cheaper alternative.

Mr Enternational
07-30-07, 04:24
I remember a few months ago, someone posting something about a book of slang, or swearing or something to that effect. I went back and looked but didn't find anything. Does anyone remember this? And if so, can you please point me in the right direction.
ryjer

I have looked all over Rio and the internet and friends have looked for me as well, but nothing. Here is the info I have if you can by chance find the books:

Dicionario de Giria
Modismo Linguistico
O Equipamento Falado do Brasileiro
J.B. Serra e Gurgel, 1995

and

Dicionario do Palavrão e Termos Afins
Mario Souto Maior, Editora
Record, RJ 1988 173pp

One that you can find but is Portuguese transalations of English slang is:
Expressoes Idiomaticas
Joseph Morgan
ISBN 788586449055

As far as the Hot International book that Sandman mentioned using as a reference in his work, it can probably be found on Amazon.com. A few years ago when I was searching for the book when it was out of publication there were a couple of copies that people were selling for above US$100. However, I looked again within the past year and many new copies of the book had surfaced. I ended up buying a new copy signed by the authors for the regular list price of $12.95 on Amazon.

Ryjerrob
07-30-07, 08:31
I have looked all over Rio and the internet and friends have looked for me as well, but nothing. Here is the info I have if you can by chance find the books:

Dicionario de Giria
Modismo Linguistico
J.B. Serra e Gurgel, 1995

and

Dicionario do Palavrão e Termos Afins
Mario Souto Maior, Editora
Record, RJ 1988 173pp

One that you can find but is Portuguese transalations of English slang is:
Expressoes Idiomaticas
Joseph Morgan
ISBN 788586449055

As far as the Hot International book that Sandman mentioned using as a reference in his work, it can probably be found on Amazon.com. A few years ago when I was searching for the book when it was out of publication there were a couple of copies that people were selling for above US$100. However, I looked again within the past year and many new copies of the book had surfaced. I ended up buying a new copy signed by the authors for the regular list price of $12.95 on Amazon.

Mr. E,

This is what I was looking for. The international book. Thanks so much for your help. Where did Sandman reference this book?

ryjer

Mr Enternational
07-30-07, 08:45
Hot International
David Appell & Paul Balido
Babelcom: New York, 1996
ISBN 1-885948-17-4

Freaky translations in English, Spanish, German, Portuguese, Italian, and Czech.

Sandman0011
07-30-07, 20:43
I used to be available at amazon.com.uk My understanding is that it is out of publication. There may still be some copies floating around at the regular price.

Good luck.

Hot International
David Appell & Paul Balido
Babelcom: New York, 1996
ISBN 1-885948-17-4

Freaky translations in English, Spanish, German, Portuguese, Italian, and Czech.

Sui Generis
07-30-07, 21:39
Mr. E,

This is what I was looking for. The international book. Thanks so much for your help. Where did Sandman reference this book?

ryjer

The books that are indicated are not edited anymore.

A more recent dictionary is the following one:

http://www.submarino.com.br/books_productdetails.asp?Query=ProductPage&ProdTypeId=1&ProdId=21983&ST=SR

as you can see, you can order it online.

Flexinbk
07-31-07, 04:54

Dicionario de Giria
Modismo Linguistico
J.B. Serra e Gurgel, 1995I got my copy last year in Ipanema, I forget the name of the bookstore, but it's the 7th edition. isbn:85-900014-2-3, 2005

Mr Enternational
07-31-07, 11:38
Merci beaucoup SG. I just had one of my girls in Rio buy Dicionarinho do Palavrão e Correlatos for me. She said it came to R$30 with shipping and it should be at her house in 2 days.

Mr Enternational
07-31-07, 11:45
Mr. E,
ryjer

You had better hurry. There are 2 copies left and cost $29.95 each.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1885948174/ref=pd_bbs_sr_olp_1/105-2077714-3845221?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185853905&sr=8-1

Sandman0011
07-31-07, 20:45
All documented in a word format with phoenetic spellings and about 30 more pages of useful phrases and Rio slang.

PM me.

You had better hurry. There are 2 copies left and cost $29.95 each.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1885948174/ref=pd_bbs_sr_olp_1/105-2077714-3845221?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185853905&sr=8-1

Edward M
08-02-07, 09:47
Seems lately a lot of GDP like to say "Te adoro" to me. What is the actual connotation of this? Is adorar < amar but > gostar? Or is it a tricky way to imply that they like you more but actually mean less?

Ryjerrob
08-02-07, 15:45
Seems lately a lot of GDP like to say "Te adoro" to me. What is the actual connotation of this? Is adorar < amar but > gostar? Or is it a tricky way to imply that they like you more but actually mean less?

I would guess she is trying to communicate that she is really into you.

adorar=worship

te adoro = I worship you

ryjer

Ryjerrob
08-02-07, 15:47
All documented in a word format with phoenetic spellings and about 30 more pages of useful phrases and Rio slang.

PM me.

I sent you a pm with my contact info.

Thanks,

ryjer

Sui Generis
08-02-07, 19:33

Don't pay too much attention to this expression. Nowadays it's very commom to hear it everywhere. The fact that GDP use this word should make it suspect. Coming from a GDP it only means : « I like you » (and if your read between the lines the conversational implicature is more something like « I like your money a lot! ».

There's different way to express love or a special feeling to another person

Gosto de você/ Gosto de ti
Te amo/ amo você
Te adoro/adoro você

Normally, there should be a gradation (in strenght) from gostar to adorar via amar. But these distinctions are losts and eluded in the everyday language.

Never trust a GDP when she whispers to your ears : Te adoroooooooooooo!

Sandman0011
08-07-07, 17:11
Do you like to suck?

Você gosta de chupar?

Sui Generis
08-07-07, 21:04
Do you like to suck?

Você gosta de chupar?

...e de engolir também!
[and to swallow also!]

Sandman0011
08-08-07, 20:52
I won’t come in your mouth Não vou gozar na sua boca.

Or the request;

Eu gosta gozar na sua boca-I want to come in your mouth.

...e de engolir também!

[and to swallow also!]

Tavares
08-09-07, 09:59
Sui Generis,

It is rather: te adoooooooro

meaning: adoro sua carteira or seu dinheiro

But you will always come across people who want to fool themselves!

Tigers787
08-09-07, 17:33
Hi Gents,

Any body knows what is the word for this sign @ when writing in an email address. We call it at, In Argentina is Aroba.

Thanks in advance.

Tiger

Pyjama
08-09-07, 18:08
Eu gosta gozar na sua boca-I want to come in your mouth.

I think it's more like
I want to come... - Quero gozar... (as a wish)

or more polite

I would like to come... - Gosteria gozar...

whereas "Eu gosto" means you like something in general, as in "gosto fazer sexo" if you enjoy sex in general.

Pyjama

El Austriaco
08-09-07, 20:25
Hi Gents,

Any body knows what is the word for this sign @ when writing in an email address. We call it at, In Argentina is Aroba.

Thanks in advance.

Tiger
As far as I know, it's called "arroba". Also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_sign.

EA

Sperto
08-09-07, 20:55
or more polite
I would like to come... - Gosteria gozar...
- Eu gostaria de gozar na sua boca.

Or not so polite:
- Eu quero encher sua boca de porra.
;)

Pyjama
08-09-07, 21:28
- Eu quero encher sua boca de porra.
;)
If she is willing, she might most probably call you a "safado!"

Orgasm Donor
09-23-07, 16:18
Surfing around the web I found this site. It is sort of like Rosetta Stone, but the phrases seem a little more useful than the ones RS tries to teach you. (When is the phrase "The small boy jumps over the red ball" going to become useful?)
I havent checked it out extensively but there are lots of lessons in several languages. If you dont find the first ones challenging, just skip forward.
My quick evaluation of it seems to be that it contains much more useful phrases. For example, things you would say on the telephone "Hello is Maria there? When will she return? Can you take a message for me?" Check it out, Post what you think of it. www.trymango.com
OD

Dutch44
09-23-07, 19:00
Hi Orgasm Donor,

Surfing around the web I found this site. It is sort of like Rosetta Stone, but the phrases seem a little more useful than the ones RS tries to teach you. {...} Check it out, Post what you think of it. www.trymango.com
OD

Hey man, that's a good site. It has over 100 practical and simple lessions on daily Portuguese and has a nice self-paced design. The level of portuguese is about similar to that of Pimsleur I and may be a bit of II. So while it does not go very deep, it is a good start for beginners. I tried Pimsleur and liked it, but that is mostly audio only. I tried Rosetta, but did not like it so much, like you say, I also found Rosetta not very practical.

http://www.trymango.com

Dutch44

PS: This site does say that it is a beta version, so maybe they only put it up for testing and it will have to be paid for in the future.

Ryjerrob
10-02-07, 08:39
Is anyone familiar with Bridge Linguatec? It's a language school located in the states that operates a school in Centro. I was wondering if anyone has used them before, and what your opinion of their program was? Thanks in advance!!!!!

ryjer

Triple Input
10-04-07, 18:35
I have read that most everyone likes Primsleur better than Rosetta for learning the portuguese language. I know very few words of protuguese but I do travel to brasil 4 to 5 times a year. I would like to at least be able to understand people talk a little and then go from there. I was cruising around trying to find a version of Primsleur but it is very expensive. Any sugestions on a place to get versions 1 - 3 inexpensive? I have no problem downloading of a file share but anybody have a sugestion on one to go to? I have tried Limewire but it basically sucks.

Anyways I do learn some basics by reading here but would like to learn more so I can speak and understand the language better. Thanks for any help that I can get

Rump Humper
10-07-07, 17:46
I have read that most everyone likes Primsleur better than Rosetta for learning the portuguese language. I know very few words of protuguese but I do travel to brasil 4 to 5 times a year. I would like to at least be able to understand people talk a little and then go from there. I was cruising around trying to find a version of Primsleur but it is very expensive. Any sugestions on a place to get versions 1 - 3 inexpensive? I have no problem downloading of a file share but anybody have a sugestion on one to go to? I have tried Limewire but it basically sucks.

Anyways I do learn some basics by reading here but would like to learn more so I can speak and understand the language better. Thanks for any help that I can getGo to you local library and check them out. Download to your computer and then to an IPOD.

Triple Input
10-08-07, 19:26
Go to you local library and check them out. Download to your computer and then to an IPOD.Right on! Thanks for the sugestion. Back to the library.

Ricton
10-11-07, 16:38
This course is quite good in some respects if anyone was thinking of buying it. After doing all parts of the Pimsleur course couple of times I bought Soniasd book and Cd rom package, but you can just buy one or the other. I haven't looked at the book much but the cd is good in the respect that I can print off a lesson everyday and transfer the soundbites for that lesson onto my MP3 player. The lessons contain a grammer point, vocabulary and some conversations. I would say that the soundbites containing small coversations are slow and easy to understand and would be ideal for a beginner. The printed lessons are quite short 7-12 pages so you don't feel swamped and can digest and understand all the information during a day. My job involves a certain amount of time waiting around etc. And I find these daily lessons ideal for killilg 10- 15 minutes now and again through the day.

Hope someone finds this info useful.

Tchau Ricton

Xpartan
10-13-07, 07:48
Right on! Thanks for the sugestion. Back to the library.Or find out if your local library is a member of Netlibrary.com (most are). Then, go to their website, sit back and download all 3 levels of Pimsleur Brazilian Portuguese or any other language for that matter.

Now, there is one catch. The file you get is a DRM file which expires, I think, after 21 days and will originally not work with Ipod or Zune, though it works with other mp3 players. However, if you take a look around the net, you'll quickly find an easy and effortless way to deal with that little predicament.

Good luck!

Brazil Rio
10-13-07, 11:32
Hi people!

I'm a brazilian native living in Rio, and it will be a pleasure to help you with portuguese.

Be my guest.

Good weekend for all,

Brazil Rio

Flexinbk
10-13-07, 18:36
Anyone know how Sonia's audio lessions compares with Pimsleur and/or Rosetta's?

Cho 637
10-22-07, 20:06
Hi people!

I'm a brazilian native living in Rio, and it will be a pleasure to help you with portuguese.

Be my guest.

Good weekend for all,

Brazil RioCan you tell me what "a combinar" means in response to if a girl does completa?

Ardgneas
10-23-07, 21:38
Can you tell me what "a combinar" means in response to if a girl does completa?It means that the provision of the service and/or price has to be negotiated and agreed with her rather her than explicitly stating she will do anal. In essence it gives her a get out if you're "too big" and/or a chance to gouge you for a some extra R$ for doing anal.

El Austriaco
10-23-07, 22:23
Can you tell me what "a combinar" means in response to if a girl does completa?
It literally means "to be agreed upon".

EA

Bizzie
10-24-07, 01:33
Go to you local library and check them out. Download to your computer and then to an IPOD.
Have you tried to copy those?
They were copy protected when I tried.

Ricton
10-24-07, 12:25
Anyone know how Sonia's audio lessions compares with Pimsleur and/or Rosetta's?If you are familier with Pimsleur, the Sonias course soundbites are very much like the short conversations you find at the begining of each Pimsleur lesson. On the Sonia corse cd rom there is a conversation at the the begining of the lesson to introduce you to new vocab and phrases then after the lesson a few more short conversations relating to what you have just learnt.

If I had one critisism, I would have to say a different voice for each person in the conversations would have been better. On the whole, it's worth buying if you are undecided.

Hope this helps.

Tchau,

Ricton

Cho 637
10-24-07, 17:06
It literally means "to be agreed upon".

EAThanks, I appreciate it.

Sui Generis
11-22-07, 21:17
Here's one of my favourite expression in Brazilian Portuguese: PAPO FURADO! (IDLE TALK)

Sui Generis
11-22-07, 21:30
When you visit a cliníca, it is usual to hear this expression «fique à vontade» (make yourself comfortable).

When the garotas make their presentation (following one another like in a fashion show) they habitually give their name and say: fique à vontade.

This expression is very common and you can hear it almost everywhere. For example, in an Internet café when you reserve a computer you will hear it.

Que Rico
11-28-07, 05:28
Does anyone know of a quick class or one on one tutor I can take during my trip in Rio to kill some time in the day ? I have one semester in or basic port but would like to be immersed for a few days.

Thanks in advance

Gatorman
11-29-07, 03:20
there are language schools rep001tered all throughout copa and ipanema. i am sure you could study port. there. for a cheaper option, there is a local advertisement paper call posto seis which has some independent instructors with ads. these free papers are located throughout copa. there are also many types of classified ads in the o globo paper and balcao.

Exec Talent
11-30-07, 17:44
I am with one of the normal girls and she used what I thought was a very cute phrase. Voce donald minha buceta.

You own my pussy.

Portuguese experts please feel free to correct me if I heard it wrong. She may have used estou, but I didn't think so.

The normal girls living in Copacabana are very much aware of the GDPs. She told me after I left her the other day and a Brazilian guy saw us together, he asked her about getting together with her assuming she was a GDP. Also, she said the taxi driver the other night asked her the same thing after dropping me off and taking her home. She oozes sex appeal so I can understand why she gets hit on a lot. It is why I asked her out in the first place. However, being seen with a gringo automatically makes Brazilians think she is a GDP. If you have a serious relationship with a normal girl the last place you want to be is Copacabana. When I lived in Niteroi with another girl no one ever asked her if she was a GDP.

I do not know if it is because my confidence is up or what, but meeting normal girls has become increasingly easier. I had three separate opportunities just yesterday. You smile, they smile back, you chat. Not much effort required.

Sperto
11-30-07, 17:59
I am with one of the normal girls and she used what I thought was a very cute phrase. Voce donald minha buceta.
You own my pussy.
Portuguese experts please feel free to correct me if I heard it wrong.
Você é dono da minha buceta.
That was a good one.

Then you can tell her:
Você é dona do meu pau/minha pica.

El Austriaco
11-30-07, 19:41
She probably means that even though you havn't paid for it yet at some point you will one way or the other and at that point you will own it. But I agree it is cute telling you ahead of time, giving you ownership even though you havn't paid for it yet.
Personally, I disagree: Latin girls, whether GDPs or not, constantly tell you cute things like that which might seem pretty possessive in some Western cultures ("you are mine, "this dick of yours is mine", "I own you"), but they are really nothing more than commonplace phrases while still having a very possessive/exclusive undertone, yes. Also, in the context that ET provided, "dono" could just as easily be interpreted as meaning "master" as referring to a literal "owner". In other words, what she is saying is "you are the master of my pussy". In and by itself, I wouldn't interpret it as having any financial connotation at all (though of course, you can never exclude that possibility).

My best guess, as someone with a Latin (Mexican) GF right now. She says things like the above all the time. Jealous and possessive? Yes, within perfectly reasonable limits. Gold digger? Not at all.

In other words, ET: no reason to take things very literally.

EA

Sui Generis
11-30-07, 20:17
Also, in the context that ET provided, "dono" could be just as easily interpreted as meaning "master" as the literal "owner". In other words, what she is saying is "you are the master of my pussy".
EA

It's better to be the "dono" of her pussy that a "dano" of her pussy! LOL!!!!

Exec Talent
11-30-07, 20:28
The woman in question works three jobs to support herself and her child. She has asked me for nothing. In fact, when she was late going home one night and was going to take a bus, I gave her R$10 for a taxi. She insisted that it was a loan and that she would pay me back. I have met several of her friends (who absolutely adore her) and they are people of character.

Although I have experienced it several times in the past, the intensity of these women is often a little overwhelming. There was no hidden agenda in her comment. She was just trying to tell me (in a very creative, sexual way - there was a physical gesture accompanying the comment) that she belonged to me.

Sperto
11-30-07, 20:34
She probably means that even though you havn't paid for it yet at some point you will one way or the other and at that point you will own it. But I agree it is cute telling you ahead of time, giving you ownership even though you havn't paid for it yet.
RioNoob talking about his own experiences I guess...
It might come as a big surprise to you, but some of us meet regular girls that have an interest in us beyond money.

Exec Talent
12-01-07, 10:50
The girls I go out with in Rio have cars, apartments and houses in Buzios.

I too have dated girls with cars, apartments and houses in Buzios. I have found them boring, superficial and self-absorbed. It has been refreshing to find a woman of substance and character who is not so enamored with physicality. Hope you are as lucky to find someone similar in your next once in five years visit to Rio in 2012.

Sperto
12-01-07, 11:08
Open your eyes. The girls I go out with in Rio have cars, apartments and houses in Buzios.
:D:D:D:D:D

Sui Generis
12-03-07, 19:47
Being a translator, I'm always amazed to observe the phenomena of «naturalization» of foreign words in a given language.

This weekend, I saw for the first time the word "picape".

Do you know what it means? It's simply the Brazilian naturalization of the word "pickup" (truck).

Orgasm Donor
12-04-07, 03:22
Im not satisfied with the translation "G.G." means "Grelho Grande" (big clit), literally "Big Grille"
I was surfing the escort sites and saw the term again, and there was close-up foto of the referred area, and it didnt look big at all.

Any of you guys have a different translation? Ive seen "Aphrodita Grande 3cm". and seen the pics to prove it. so it was obvious what that meant.

Any ideas? any other portugues slang terms for the clitoris?

La Perla Rosa

Orgasm Donor
12-04-07, 03:32
Being a translator, I'm always amazed to observe the phenomena of «naturalization» of foreign words in a given language.

This weekend, I saw for the first time the word "picape".

Do you know what it means? It's simply the Brazilian naturalization of the word "pickup" (truck).

Yah, one I liked was for Queijo (cheese) sometimes written as "Xis" (X makes a "ch" sound)

I been to countries where the official language is "pidgeon" (New Guinea) every word sounds the same in english, but imagine the most illiterate way of spelling it. i.e "store" spelled "stowa". Well, not quite perfect english sounding, but maybe someone from "Bawston" (Boston) lol!

Java Man
12-04-07, 04:04
My favorite is pronounced Chee-le'-no-lee.
I was in Rio and had flu symptoms. It was recommended I take this, so off to the pharmacy. I got a laugh when they gave me a bottler of Tylenol. Spelled the same way, just pronounced differently.

Sperto
12-04-07, 07:06
Im not satisfied with the translation "G.G." means "Grelho Grande" (big clit), literally "Big Grille"
GG=Grelo Grande.
Sorry, but you've to be satisfied with that.

any other portugues slang terms for the clitoris?

Grelinho.

Thanos
12-04-07, 07:20
GG=Grelo Grande.

Sorry, but you've to be satisfied with that.

Grelinho.Greludas: girls with big clits

Orgasm Donor
12-04-07, 08:00
Cant find this one in my dictionaries. "Golosa, Gulosa"?

Im thinking it means something like "hungry" or "thirsty"?

Heres one Ive figured out.. "Bate papo" (beat talk) Idle chatter.

Sperto
12-04-07, 08:10
Gulosa=greedy.

Orgasm Donor
12-04-07, 12:55
Gulosa means Greedy (fem)
Orgulosa means Proud (fem)

somehow I didnt make the connection on that one, thanks Sperto.
Ok I got another... would the word "fenda" be proper to describe an asscrack, pussycrack or a dimple? (Id hate to accidentally say to a garota... "You have a pretty asscrack on your face"!!! lol!)

Lorenzo
12-04-07, 17:52
Gulosa means Greedy (fem)
Orgulosa means Proud (fem)

somehow I didnt make the connection on that one, thanks Sperto.
Ok I got another... would the word "fenda" be proper to describe an asscrack, pussycrack or a dimple? (Id hate to accidentally say to a garota... "You have a pretty asscrack on your face"!!! lol!)
It's "orgulhosa", not "orgulosa." And "fenda" means slit or crack, so the answer to your questions is a definite yes. "Fenda" can also be a geological term referring to a fissure or crack in the earth.

BJfans
12-24-07, 13:20
How can I say. I like to bind you to my. Bed.

Sui Generis
12-24-07, 16:43
Eu gostaria de amarrar você na minha cama.

BJfans
12-24-07, 17:04
Eu gostaria de amarrar você na minha cama.Okay.

Muito obrigado

Lorenzo
12-24-07, 19:13
Eu gosto de ata-la a minha cama.

George90
12-24-07, 22:07

Isn´t that the same as ´tying´ you to the bed?

I would say "Quereria/Gostaria ligarse em minha cama."

Note that it will be difficult to distinguush between ´to my bed´ and ´in my bed´ since the same word ´em´ is used for both ´in´ and ´to´.

Mr Enternational
12-25-07, 05:12
Eu gostaria de amarrar você na minha cama.

that is what my girl says. "eu quero amarrar voce na minha cama." she also adds, "fiquei com ciumes dessa conversa aí," for me asking her shit like that without being there with her.

Jesuscola
12-25-07, 15:09
Here are a few phrases of use when dealing with setting up appointments with girls, or when appointments have been missed:

Dar um bolo -- To stand (someone) up; to flake on someone

Deixar plantado -- To stand (someone) up; to flake on someone

"Você me deu um bolo" -- You stood me up. (Literally, "You gave me a cake." I don't know. Don't ask.)

"Ela deixou ele plantado" -- She stood him up. She flaked on him. (Literally, "She left him planted.")

Another handy one:

Dar as caras -- To show up

As in, "Você vai dar as caras essa vez?" -- Are you going to show up this time?

Needless to say, I've found these very handy ;o)

While we're on the subject, I am aware of 3 ways of calling a girl a flake.

"Furona." Means "undependable."

"Coca-cola." The implication is that she's "all gas."

Or "Garganta," which means, literally, "throat." That she's all talk and nothing else.

I have found "Coca-cola" to be somewhat regional slang, as girls from the northeast will tend to think it means that she's sexy, or "hot-to-trot." Again, a puzzling linguistic leap.

"Furona," also, not every single girl seems to understand, although it's in the dictionary and the majority do.

The most widely understood term in this sense seems to be, "Garganta," and I haven't had anyone not understand it yet. I always use it in a lightly teasing fashion, as when she's saying she'll come over after work or in the morning, and I don't feel certain she's serious. I'll ask, "Você não é garganta, não? Porque não gosto de gargantas..." Which doesn't guarantee she'll show, but is usually good for a smile, and lets her know that if she doesn't "dar as caras," I'm not going to take her very seriously afterward...

And if she tries to claim you in the terma the next day after standing you up the night before, "Aaaa, não, você é garganta. Me deixou plantado ontem a noite," can be as useful an excuse to move on as any.

Best of luck.

Hobbying
12-27-07, 23:48
What does bake chicken mean? I see it used alot on gpguia when I translate reviews with babelfish.

Sui Generis
12-28-07, 09:12
You must probably mean "frango assado"

In this position the woman lies on her back and, while you are in front of her (on your knees), she puts her legs on your shoulder.

Jesuscola
12-31-07, 15:27
This is actually a blog written in Portuguese, to help Brazilians learn English. If you are already fairly fluent in Portuguese, however, it can be very useful in helping you learn how to say certain phrases and expressions that do not translate directly from English. Like, "Freudian slip," "Wishful thinking," etc., and generally has a lot of tips on how Portuguese differs from English. I've learned a lot of useful stuff.

http://www.teclasap.com.br/blog/

If you just want to learn how to ask her to put her legs behind her head, however, it won't be of much use ;o)

Babylonia
01-09-08, 09:44
Hi all

Pliz can someone tell me how to say dtbbj (aka Deepthroat) in Brazilian?

I have search in all Brazil forums (search for dtbbj or deepthroat) an can't find it.

Many thanks.

Regards,

BB

Lorenzo
01-09-08, 17:10
Hi all

I have search in all Brazil forums (search for dtbbj or deepthroat) an can't find it.

Many thanks.

Regards,

BB
Try "beijinho profundo sem camisinha."

Pelicano
01-09-08, 22:47
Babylonia;

You might try "Garganta Profunda", since this was the name of the movie Deep Throat in Portuguese, that gave origin to the expression. But i doubt anyone under 30 will recognize this name based on the movie.

You might also try "chupada profunda" or "chupar ate o talo" , which would give a better idea of what you want.

[QUOTE=Babylonia]Hi all

Flexinbk
01-10-08, 03:49
Hi all

Many thanks.

Regards,

BbChecking the dictionary. Chupar (pau) introduzindo ate o fundo da garganta sem camisinha, engola a cobra sem camisinha

Or what I personally use. Toma tudo

Mr Enternational
01-10-08, 05:54
The most widely understood term in this sense seems to be, "Garganta," and I haven't had anyone not understand it yet. I always use it in a lightly teasing fashion, as when she's saying she'll come over after work or in the morning, and I don't feel certain she's serious. I'll ask, "Você não é garganta, não? Porque não gosto de gargantas..." Which doesn't guarantee she'll show, but is usually good for a smile, and lets her know that if she doesn't "dar as caras," I'm not going to take her very seriously afterward...

And if she tries to claim you in the terma the next day after standing you up the night before, "Aaaa, não, você é garganta. Me deixou plantado ontem a noite," can be as useful an excuse to move on as any.

Best of luck.

Thanks. I have been using the shit out of this with non-pros since you posted it. It always gets a laugh and "brasileiro" after. It pretty much pulls their card like you said.

Jesuscola
01-10-08, 16:44
Thanks. I have been using the shit out of this with non-pros since you posted it. It always gets a laugh and "brasileiro" after. It pretty much pulls their card like you said.

Haha! Yeah, I love "pulling their card," as you put it, whenever possible. Plus, like I mentioned elsewhere, I think it makes them more comfortable with you when you're using the same words that they and their friends would. Anyway, glad you're finding it handy...

Hobbying
01-14-08, 22:33
I want to learn Brazilian Portuguese but all I see are Portugual Portuguese softwares like Roseta Stone.

Any suggestions?

Hitmanm3
01-15-08, 16:15
I want to learn Brazilian Portuguese but all I see are Portugual Portuguese softwares like Roseta Stone.

Any suggestions?Pimsleur Brazilian portugese to english. Good way to learn and easy way to learn. They come in cd form. Can get at Barnes and Noble.

Perkele
01-16-08, 10:58
Pimsleur Brazilian portugese to english. Good way to learn and easy way to learn. They come in cd form. Can get at Barnes and Noble.
Why pay?

Pimsleur you can find with Emule or any other similar system (edonkey, sharebear etc.)

Come in MP3 format.

Also the textbooks are available.

I just got all for my brother.

Mr Enternational
02-22-08, 14:43
Without inhibitions. Not that different from "safada".
EA

This is a word that is interpreted different by different people. For example my beach shirt says 100% Safado. To me it just means `player`. Others have a slight different interpretation. At times when I have jokingly called chicks safada they have been deeply hurt. One even cried. For her the definition was `shameless`. Yesterday when I called a chick safada she got really pissed and emphasized that I have never given her money to fuck. This leads me to believe her interpretation of the word is `hooker`.

Rocketron
02-22-08, 17:57

Heres one Ive figured out.. "Bate papo" (beat talk) Idle chatter.Guloso means GREEDY perhaps this is what you are trying to say.

Jesuscola
02-22-08, 18:11
This is a word that is interpreted different by different people. For example my beach shirt says 100% Safado. To me it just means `player`. Others have a slight different interpretation. At times when I have jokingly called chicks safada they have been deeply hurt. One even cried. For her the definition was `shameless`. Yesterday when I called a chick safada she got really pissed and emphasized that I have never given her money to fuck. This leads me to believe her interpretation of the word is `hooker`.

It can help to understand that the word is not only used in a sexual context. It can be used in a non-sexual context to refer to a "con man" or "swindler."

It can also help to note that there is a definite sexual double standard in Brazil. Men celebrate, and are celebrated--sometimes secretly, sometimes openly--for their virility. Hence, for men, it can even be attractive to be considered "shameless" or a "safado." Women here, as virtually everywhere, are expected to be less licentious, and so for them, "safada" probably won't have any sort of good conotations.

I mean, combining the sexual and non-sexual contexts, it might not be far off to compare the word "safado" with the english word "hustler." The word "player" can be used in English for women, but, really, "safada" might come closer to "****."

So, in this sense, you might get away with it playfully in bed, otherwise, I probably wouldn't use it too much unless you understand the particular woman very well.

Just my thoughts.

Rio Bob
02-22-08, 22:58
It can help to understand that the word is not only used in a sexual context. It can be used in a non-sexual context to refer to a "con man" or "swindler."

It can also help to note that there is a definite sexual double standard in Brazil. Men celebrate, and are celebrated--sometimes secretly, sometimes openly--for their virility. Hence, for men, it can even be attractive to be considered "shameless" or a "safado." Women here, as virtually everywhere, are expected to be less licentious, and so for them, "safada" probably won't have any sort of good conotations.

I mean, combining the sexual and non-sexual contexts, it might not be far off to compare the word "safado" with the english word "hustler." The word "player" can be used in English for women, but, really, "safada" might come closer to "****."

So, in this sense, you might get away with it playfully in bed, otherwise, I probably wouldn't use it too much unless you understand the particular woman very well.

Just my thoughts.

I doubt if anybody uses the definition trickster as you will find in the dictionary. But I agree with what you say about the double standard. I recently took a non pro to two different swingers clubs in Rio, I had seen her screw at least 5 other different men besides me. One night I called her a safada, she responded to me firmly, no way, not me but you are. I let it go and didn't push the issue but come on she had no problem with these other guys and in one case she was the aggressor.

Another time I had an escort from CIA come to my apartment and she told me that I look like a Safado, like if you look up the word in the dictionary you would see my face. I took it as a compliment as you say.

Pelicano
02-22-08, 23:10
In the GP ads it means BJ

Guloso means GREEDY perhaps this is what you are trying to say.

Jesuscola
02-23-08, 13:53
I doubt if anybody uses the definition trickster as you will find in the dictionary.

Actually, I have used it with women in that way. When a terma girl is giving some guy a pouty face, sweet talking him to swindle him out of a drink, I have called her a "safada," and she takes it in exactly the same sense I meant. It may not be the word's primary, or most common usage, but it is among its connotations.

Another time I had an escort from CIA come to my apartment and she told me that I look like a Safado, like if you look up the word in the dictionary you would see my face. I took it as a compliment as you say.

Yeah. Walk a dog down the street in a friendly neighborhood. Watch how many women will stop to pet the dog. They will use the words "lindo," "gostoso," and "safado" almost interchangably. Hence the implication that, for Brazilian women, attractiveness and "safado" can go hand in hand. For a male, one sort of implies the other.

With regard to calling a woman "safada," it should always be kept in mind that there are 2 sets of rules. 1 for inside the bedroom, and 1 for outside. A woman once told me that. What happens in the bedroom stays in the bedroom. It's like dealing with 2 different women. So if she says she wants to do something a little freaky while in bed, you can probably get away with smacking her on the butt and calling her "safadinha," but if you call her a safada over dinner later, you're likely to be in for a nasty surprise...

Jan 156
02-23-08, 21:43
Actually, I have used it with women in that way. When a terma girl is giving some guy a pouty face, sweet talking him to swindle him out of a drink, I have called her a "safada," and she takes it in exactly the same sense I meant.

I use it in a cheeky way when one of my regular gdp's is chancing her arm or misbehaving. Also to throw back at her when she calls me safado. As far as I am concerned, she is as tricky with me as I am with her, but neither of us would admit that openly to each other.

Jan 156
02-27-08, 21:59
I have just taken receipt of a copy of Pimsleur, thanks to the generosity of a good friend on the forum. I have to say, from what I've tried so far, it rocks!

I have previously tried:

a) Teach Yourself One Day Portuguese
[works enough to teach you half a dozen essential phrases and is cheap and quick, even if it's European Portuguese]

b) Teach YOurself Brazilian Portuguese
[it's ok, but very sanitised - useful for the school trips of your offspring for instance - the 'Brasilians' all sound like they learnt Brasilian in an English university]

c) Private lessons from a Brasilian professor at the local uni
[she was quite sexy but her 'carioca-ese' was laughed out of court when I tried it in Rio - I think she had been away from home for a long time]

d) Patient GDPs
[great value inasmuch as they teach you to be understood by them in words instead of just in cash - but time-consuming]

Pimsleur:
Very realistic. Hammers the pronunciation into you. Quite good fun to use (which Teach Yourself Brasilian isn't). It is still rather upmarket - but not as much as the broom-up-the-backside tone of Teach Yourself Brasilian. I imagined speaking in this educated tone in Noguiera. My expression would be slightly tongue in cheek and hopefully cute. Far too formal for VM. But might have been good for talking myself out of a tight spot between some bouncers and a dark staircase in a Belo knock-shop. To be honest though, I have to agree with previous recommendations on here - it is the most realistic, useful and unpatronising Brasilian course I've come across. Most of my Brasilian friends speak and like to practice English, but I like the tone of it for polite conversations with arty Salvador friends in Jardim Botanico restaurants and the likes. Water it down a bit and add some slang and it soon becomes gutter-speak suitable for the scummy places I like to frequent . . .]

Hitmanm3
02-27-08, 22:59
I have just taken receipt of a copy of Pimsleur, thanks to the generosity of a good friend on the forum. I have to say, from what I've tried so far, it rocks!

I have previously tried:

a) Teach Yourself One Day Portuguese
[works enough to teach you half a dozen essential phrases and is cheap and quick, even if it's European Portuguese]

b) Teach YOurself Brazilian Portuguese
[it's ok, but very sanitised - useful for the school trips of your offspring for instance - the 'Brasilians' all sound like they learnt Brasilian in an English university]

c) Private lessons from a Brasilian professor at the local uni
[she was quite sexy but her 'carioca-ese' was laughed out of court when I tried it in Rio - I think she had been away from home for a long time]

d) Patient GDPs
[great value inasmuch as they teach you to be understood by them in words instead of just in cash - but time-consuming]

Pimsleur:

Very realistic. Hammers the pronunciation into you. Quite good fun to use (which Teach Yourself Brasilian isn't). It is still rather upmarket - but not as much as the broom-up-the-backside tone of Teach Yourself Brasilian. I imagined speaking in this educated tone in Noguiera. My expression would be slightly tongue in cheek and hopefully cute. Far too formal for VM. But might have been good for talking myself out of a tight spot between some bouncers and a dark staircase in a Belo knock-shop. To be honest though, I have to agree with previous recommendations on here - it is the most realistic, useful and unpatronising Brasilian course I've come across. Most of my Brasilian friends speak and like to practice English, but I like the tone of it for polite conversations with arty Salvador friends in Jardim Botanico restaurants and the likes. Water it down a bit and add some slang and it soon becomes gutter-speak suitable for the scummy places I like to frequent . . .]You are welcome that is what we are here for.

Ricton
03-01-08, 01:27
Pimsleur is definately the way to go. Fantastic, but it is a bit limited for vocabulary. I'm talking about everyday nouns like fork, socks, carpet etc. For easy learning and retention of these words go for " Before You Know It" by Transparent Language. You can get a basic version for free. Just Google it.

Jan 156
03-01-08, 07:30
Sounds about right.

Also if you are planning on going more than once pick up a Portuguese-English dictionary in Brasil (eg in RJ there's a decent bookshop round the corner from the Uru24 10R knock-shop - you might payt more in Copa or Botafg). Not cheap, but probably cheaper than back home. My Larousse was 41R. 501 Portuguese Verbs I got second hand off Amazon. When I started visiting I'd put all the new phrases and words I was learning in the back of a customised print out of Bubba's Guide. I don't want to give out phone numbers, but if you are intent you can find a GDP in one of the cheaper places who speaks English and see what she charges. Not to tell you how to speak good Portuguese but to tell you 'how people say it round here' which can be very different.

Hobbying
03-04-08, 14:46
Is there one out there for setting up appointments?

Theres one in Argentina.

One Eyed Man
03-12-08, 04:53
I am taking a Portuguese class at the local college. We usually start class with a 10-minute discussion of various topics. Today, my professor suggested we talk about one of the following topics: (1) NY Governor Elliot Spitzer (from the cover of a newspaper he found on the train, (2) Hillary Clinton, and (3) summer in town. Topic #2 was way to hot to touch, and I was especially careful to persuade the class away from #1 for fear that I use some of the specialized vocabulary I have learned here on the Forum. Imagine the following conversation: Spitzer spent $5400 on call girls. Me: "Man, I know where he could have gotten better service for R$100 in Centro..."

Ricton
04-15-08, 08:59
Hi,

Anybody out there done any levels of the Rosetta Stone course? Any info before I buy it would be welcome. I've done the Pimsleur 1,2 and 3 a few times plus a few others such as Sonias. Or can anybody recommend any course thats good?

Thanks in advance,

Ricton

Rio Bob
04-15-08, 21:51
Hi,

Anybody out there done any levels of the Rosetta Stone course? Any info before I buy it would be welcome. I've done the Pimsleur 1,2 and 3 a few times plus a few others such as Sonias. Or can anybody recommend any course thats good?

Thanks in advance,

Ricton

I've done Pims and I keep playing them over so I don't forget. I also took a look at Rosetta but I didn't like it as much because it was computer based but it is a quality product.

I think the best way to move forward after Pims is to take group lessons or private lessons, not cheap but it does the trick.

I did group at Berlitz, 3 or 4 people in the group, fun and you learn, only Portuguese is spoken. And it was affordable, not so bad.

I also did private at several schools, if you do your homework this is the best place to learn quickly. It's a lot or work because you can move fast but you have to learn so you have to put in the effort. You attend class about 2 hours a week maybe 3 and then you need to go home and do your assignments and go over what you did. It's not cheap but could be worth the investement if you really want to learn.

Now I just listen to PIMS I II and III a couple of times through the year when I'm not in Brazil and I try to make some Brazilian friends so I can converse with several times a week.

Real good Portuguese is needed for non pros as you need to carry on a conversation in order to keep them interested. Pims and Rosetta are just good enough to converse with the GDP's so you can have some fun, but you hit quick and go, no need to get deep but you can still carry on a basic conversation about things but it doesn't have to be perfect or in length IMHO.

Naked Gunz
04-16-08, 03:42
I think the best way to move forward after Pims is to take group lessons or private lessons, not cheap but it does the trick.

I did group at Berlitz, 3 or 4 people in the group, fun and you learn, only Portuguese is spoken. And it was affordable, not so bad.

I also did private at several schools, if you do your homework this is the best place to learn quickly. It's a lot or work because you can move fast but you have to learn so you have to put in the effort. You attend class about 2 hours a week maybe 3 and then you need to go home and do your assignments and go over what you did. It's not cheap but could be worth the investement if you really want to learn.

Now I just listen to PIMS I II and III a couple of times through the year when I'm not in Brazil and I try to make some Brazilian friends so I can converse with several times a week.

Real good Portuguese is needed for non pros as you need to carry on a conversation in order to keep them interested. Pims and Rosetta are just good enough to converse with the GDP's so you can have some fun, but you hit quick and go, no need to get deep but you can still carry on a basic conversation about things but it doesn't have to be perfect or in length IMHO.

All very true...after so much time with books, CDs and the computer, I'm in one place long enough to take a class (Spanish). After only 3 classes I've had major hurdles torn freakin down. By the end of the year I'll have non-pros kissing my ass. I figure the money you save bullsh*tting non-pros vice dealing with battle scarred old pros will be worth the time,$ and effort.

Paz

Dub624
04-16-08, 11:14
I am taking a Portuguese class at the local college. We usually start class with a 10-minute discussion of various topics. Today, my professor suggested we talk about one of the following topics: (1) NY Governor Elliot Spitzer (from the cover of a newspaper he found on the train, (2) Hillary Clinton, and (3) summer in town. Topic #2 was way to hot to touch, and I was especially careful to persuade the class away from #1 for fear that I use some of the specialized vocabulary I have learned here on the Forum. Imagine the following conversation: Spitzer spent $5400 on call girls. Me: "Man, I know where he could have gotten better service for R$100 in Centro..."That is funny.

Ricton
04-16-08, 11:45
Thanks for the info and advice. I'd love to go to an immersion class for Portuguese but unfortunatly theres nothing doing where I live. I've looked a few times. Next time I'm in Brazil though for a month, I'll take the plunge and go to a class.

By the way, one more question. Can anyone tell me if you can lift soundbites off the Rosetta CD rom onto an ipod. This is really what will swing buying it or not, as this would get round the problem of Rosetta being computer based.

In the meantime I'll keep listening to Pimsleur.

Muito obrigado gente. Ricton

Think I'll have a quick look at the Berlitz website.

Tchau

El Austriaco
04-17-08, 15:53
Think I'll have a quick look at the Berlitz website.
Personally, I think that Berlitz is the most outlandishly overpriced, overhyped language course that is out there. Of course, their geographical coverage is amazing, with language courses available pretty much everywhere, even smaller cities, which explains why they have remained competitive and maintained their "reputation as cream of the top" over the years.

But the fact remains: if you have the cash to take one-on-one classes with them, you can get the same and much better for a third of the cost. If you take group classes with them, what's the point? Berlitz prides itself in its entirely conversational approach that is supposed to ensure that you actually speak the language quickly, emulating the first-language acquisition process. This is simply impossible to maintain with several students in the classroom. You want a group class, again, you should be able to find something similar at the community-college level, at a fraction of the cost. Especially if you live in a larger city.

On a side note: IMHO, the best way to use Berlitz is to actually get to know some teachers who work there who are willing to teach you on the side for a much better rate. Not that I necessarily recommend that for ethical reasons, but believe me, they are ALL willing to do so, considering the hardly above minimum wages that Berlitz pays their supposedly "top-notch, highly experienced, native teachers" and the way management treats them. Trust me on this one :)

BTW, I am saying this as someone who has had several stints with Berlitz years ago as an employee, and as someone who has had the pleasure of hiring several instructors away from them afterwards when I was working at a Berlitz spinoff, which used essentially a very similiar methodology (at least, that's what we told our clients; the actual reality in the classroom was a different story).

EA

Lorenzo
04-17-08, 16:08
Personally, I think that Berlitz is the most outlandishly overpriced, overhyped language course that is out there.....
EA
EA is absolutely right about Berlitz. Stay away! I have no experience with their Portuguese instruction, but in the mid-90's I dropped nearly 3 grand for one-on-one Spanish instruction. My money would have better spend finding a struggling foreign student and paying that person for 1:1 conversation in Spanish.

The flaws in the Berlitz approach are legion, but the most preposterous is that they don't even bother to teach the familiar (tu) forms of the verbs, on the grounds that you'll never need them. This shows how out of touch with reality they are. Mongering aside, apparently they can't imagine you'll ever be close enough to, or make friends with, a speaker of the language you're learning to ever employ the familiar form. Needless to say, the familiar forms are easy enough to learn on your own.

L

Rio Bob
04-17-08, 23:38
I did do the group Berlitz and 1 on 1 but as fellow posters have said they're not perfect. I did move on to Inlingua another school, they weren’t perfect either; I did 1 on 1 there in Portuguese.

I agree if you can find a high school or community college go for it but Portuguese is not as popular as Spanish and really not offered in these places. I did find once a High School but the teacher was unorganized and the students weren’t that interested, didn't learn much and with no demand they cancelled the class, you really get what you pay for.

Even at Berlitz it was difficult to get a group going because there was not much demand for Portuguese so I had to do 1 on 1 eventually because they had no more students for a group.

Sure if you can find a teacher who works for Berlitz or some other school to teach you on the side then go for it then you have to find a place to meet and you have to find the teacher, you may have to go to Berlitz to do that.

One thing you can do that helps a lot to learn the language is join one of the online dating services. Put up a profile and start contacting some Brasilian women on line. Put them on your Instant Message and start chatting with them. At first it might be difficult but after a couple of months or years you will get it and be very good at it.

George90
04-19-08, 00:55
I did do the group Berlitz and 1 on 1 but as fellow posters have said they're not perfect. I did move on to Inlingua another school, they weren’t perfect either; I did 1 on 1 there in Portuguese.

I agree if you can find a high school or community college go for it but Portuguese is not as popular as Spanish and really not offered in these places. I did find once a High School but the teacher was unorganized and the students weren’t that interested, didn't learn much and with no demand they cancelled the class, you really get what you pay for.

I had the same problems when I started learning Portuguese. Berlitz didn't have any group classes due to low demand. They only offered 1-on-1 for a ridiculously high price. I bought an academic textbook and strted learning on my own.

Later, I moved to South Florida and took a "Learning Annex" style Portuguese course with a native Brazilian. She was very good and the price was very reasonable. The problem was the wide variety of skill levels of the students and a lack of seriousness and rigor. The courses are offered every quarter at the introductory level. My problem is that I want and need a more advanced course now. They are not offered frequently and are often cancelled due to low enrolment.

I also inquired about Portuguese courses in Brazil. Many are offered, some at reasonable prices. My problem is that they are offered in 4, 8, or 16 weeks semesters, too long for a regular vacation. I hope to be able to spend 2 or 3 months in a row in Brazil some day soon. Then I will enrol in a Portuguse for foreigners course. In the meantime, I have found that speaking with native Brazilians in Brazil is GREAT practice for learning and becoming fluent in Portuguese.

George90
04-19-08, 00:58
I forgot to add that I have the Pimsleur CDs. I found them to be very helpful for pronounciation and aural comprehension. They helped me in those areas a great deal.

They didn't help very much with vocabulary growth and not at all with grammar. Still, I think they are well worth using for anyone serious about getting fluent in Portuguese.

Ryjerrob
04-19-08, 17:45
Colocar o pau na mesa!!!

George90
04-19-08, 18:07
Colocar o pau na mesa!!!

What does that expression mean? I can't find it in my dictionary.

Literal: Putting the stick/club/wood/cock on the table. (?????)

Maybe it means having vigorous sex, as in laying pipe?

Sunset Strip
04-19-08, 18:57
Language Now by Transparent Language is a bit less expensive than Rosetta Stone and actually has been rated higher than RS by many websites.

You can put Language Now on your Ipod.

http://www.transparent.com/languagepages/portuguese-bra/portuguese.htm

TJ

Sui Generis
04-19-08, 19:06
What does that expression mean? I can't find it in my dictionary.

Literal: Putting the stick/club/wood/cock on the table. (?????)

Maybe it means having vigorous sex, as in laying pipe?

There's several meaning to the word « pau ». As you mentioned it, it can means «stick » or « club ». So the expression « Por o pau na mesa » means «To thump (or hit) the table with one's fist ».

Sperto
04-19-08, 19:44
Colocar o pau na mesa!!!
I would use that frase in the meaning it's time to make some decisions or to get the attention.

Droplet
04-19-08, 22:58
I once went with a girl in a big strip joint where it is also kind of a motel with plenty of rooms on the side. I did a TLN with her. During the session, she had to leave the room saying "bebe" making a hand gesture like she were going to pour some drink into her mouth, two thrusts but with her thumb sticking out a little. Then she left for about 3 min and then came back.

I was puzzled whether she meant that she went to get a drink or she went away to check her baby(!?). Is this possible that GDP strippers leave their babies there? the final "e" she said sounds like there is a circumflex on the top so I suppose it means baby? is this possible?

Tiradentes
04-20-08, 15:54
I once went with a girl in a big strip joint where it is also kind of a motel with plenty of rooms on the side. I did a TLN with her. During the session, she had to leave the room saying "bebe" making a hand gesture like she were going to pour some drink into her mouth, two thrusts but with her thumb sticking out a little. Then she left for about 3 min and then came back.

I was puzzled whether she meant that she went to get a drink or she went away to check her baby(!?). Is this possible that GDP strippers leave their babies there? the final "e" she said sounds like there is a circumflex on the top so I suppose it means baby? is this possible?

Bebe, is the present tense of the verb 'beber' which means to drink.
Nene is what the brazilians call a 'baby', which might be a newborn or a lover.

In your case, the girl was surely asking you to offer her a drink. Which you didn't. Pao duru is brazilian for cheap.

El Austriaco
04-20-08, 18:19
the final "e" she said sounds like there is a circumflex on the top so I suppose it means baby? is this possible?
I am pretty sure she meant something like "(vou) beber", i.e. "I am gonna go and get something to drink". This is supported by the fact that the final "r" in "beber" is hardly audible, which makes the typical Carioca pronunciation of "beber" sound almost like "bebé" (with tonic accent firmly on the final "e"), with a wide open "e". You are right, in Brazilian Portuguese, this could be indicated by a circumflex on top, although in this case, it isn't. Regardless, it's the same sound.

IMHO, this is much more likely than a present tense form of "beber", i.e. "bebe", which would be stressed on the first "e".

The common practice in Carioca Portuguese to pronounce a final "r" as a fricative sound (IPA "x") to the point of almost dropping it almost altogether is so common that many people have great trouble distinguishing "beber" (infinitive form) and "bebe" (third person singular present tense) in writing, and confusion is rampant. My ex-GF never could distinguish the two (but then, at the same time, her level of academic achievement was minimal).

EA