PDA

View Full Version : Portuguese Words and Phrases

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Lorenzo
09-06-11, 05:21
Once upon a time, numa cidade muito, muito longe, onde as vistas sao muito bonitas e muitas garotas sao safadinhas:

A Centro casa GP got fucked in The pussy bareback by Lorenzo, and she swallowed down His load.

Then later Euro100 came in Her throat.

Her stomach puffed out , full of jism, so she gave Sperto a covered BJ but he got over It because he was allowed to take lots of pictures for ISG.

She left the casa and was picked up At Balcony by Exec Talent and his girlfriend, for a threesome.

At 3 am she went out To Nogueira, and met Christopherd. He could not figure out Why she was so tired. .Okay, I get the idea, I think the examples you give are combining two different things. One is a verb followed by a prepositional phrase (fucked in the pussy, came in her throat) , and the other would be a verb phrase in which a preposition becomes an integral part of the verb (puffed out, picked up, went out). I think only the latter would be a genuine phrasal verb. But I think this is idiomatic to English; SkinnyBop is right that they don't exist in Portuguese.

SkinnyBop
09-06-11, 05:27
Once upon a time, numa cidade muito, muito longe, onde as vistas sao muito bonitas e muitas garotas sao safadinhas:

A Centro casa GP got fucked in The pussy bareback by Lorenzo, and she swallowed down His load.

Then later Euro100 came in Her throat.

Her stomach puffed out , full of jism, so she gave Sperto a covered BJ but he got over It because he was allowed to take lots of pictures for ISG.

She left the casa and was picked up At Balcony by Exec Talent and his girlfriend, for a threesome.

At 3 am she went out To Nogueira, and met Christopherd. He could not figure out Why she was so tired. .Great example! LOL.

Formal definition: A phrasal verb is a combination of a verb and a preposition, a verb and an adverb, or a verb with both an adverb and a preposition, any of which are part of the syntax of the sentence, and so are a complete semantic unit.

Translating into portuguese the sentence above:

Fucked in. Comida / fodida (na)

Swallowed down. Engoliu.

Came in. Gozou.

Puffed out. Inchou / lotou.

Got over. Superou / desencanou.

Picked up. Pega.

Went out. Foi / saiu.

Figure out. Entender

Member #3439
09-06-11, 05:30
okay, i get the idea, i think the examples you give are combining two different things. one is a verb followed by a prepositional phrase (fucked in the pussy, came in her throat) , and the other would be a verb phrase in which a preposition becomes an integral part of the verb (puffed out, picked up, went out). i think only the latter would be a genuine phrasal verb. but i think this is idiomatic to english; skinnybop is right that they don't exist in portuguese.from some english guru:

a phrasal verb consists of a verb and a preposition, a verb and an adverb, or a verb, an adverb, and a preposition — the verb's partners are collectively known as particles — that combine to produce a figure of speech. (phrasal verbs are common in idiomatic expressions, such as 'add insult to injury' or 'scared them out of their wits. ') examples include 'call back, ' 'check up, ' and 'give in. '

when chatting non-pros, i have to constantly stop myself from using these, because i guessed that it doesn't translate...'i give up', probably means nothing as eu dar para cima. but according to google translate, it makes perfect sense..haha. never trust it.

Samburo
09-09-11, 08:20
I know that gatinha is a Young cat. In that case the girl says to a boyfriend: I am "seu gatinhu".

What does that mean?

Poucolouco
09-09-11, 19:00
I know that gatinha is a Young cat. In that case the girl says to a boyfriend: I am "seu gatinhu".

What does that mean?It is the diminutive form of the word. Adding inho (masc) or inha (fem) forms the diminutive form of a noun or a more affectionate form of a proper noun. Gatinha is a female kitten. Gatinho, a male kitten. Ghostinho would be a more affectionate form of address, similar to Joanie rather than Joan.

Lorenzo
09-09-11, 20:17

What does that mean?It would more correctly be "sua gatinha," your (female) kitten.

Sperto
09-09-11, 20:31
Ghostinho would be a more affectionate form of address, similar to Joanie rather than Joan.
"Ghostinho" is a small ghost? ;)

Gostosinho.

Mr Enternational
09-09-11, 21:36
It is the diminutive form of the word. Adding inho (masc) or inha (fem) forms the diminutive form of a noun or a more affectionate form of a proper noun. Gatinha is a female kitten. Gatinho, a male kitten. Ghostinho would be a more affectionate form of address, similar to Joanie rather than Joan.Same as a Ronaldinho (Little Ronald (o) or Carlinha (Little Carla). As in Spanish you have papi (little daddy) and papo (big daddy).

I know that gatinha is a Young cat. In that case the girl says to a boyfriend: I am "seu gatinhu". What does that mean?Actually you mean the slang term of gata which is cutie and not the literal one which is cat. I call all my chicks gatinha (cutie pie). However once I said it to a girl who I was trying to know and she got all offended. I'm not sure why.

Poucolouco
09-10-11, 01:02
"Ghostinho" is a small ghost? .

Gostosinho.Good one. Maybe Ghost1506 will change his handle once he deciphers Gostosinho.

Member #3439
09-10-11, 04:00
Can anyone explain some verb conjugations of foder?

Does it follow the normal rules? For example, are these okay?:

Ela lhe fodeu. [she fucked him/her]

e

Eu fodo para ela. [I fucked her] or Ele lhes fodo. [He fucked them]

Lorenzo
09-10-11, 04:14
However once I said it to a girl who I was trying to know and she got all offended. I'm not sure why.Do you think she might possibly have considered it condescending?

Rio Safado
09-10-11, 12:34

Does it follow the normal rules? For example, are these okay? :

Ela lhe fodeu. [she fucked him / her]

E.

Eu fodo para ela. [I fucked her] or Ele lhes fodo. [He fucked them]This is a good website for conjugating verbs.

http://www.conjuga-me.net/en/

Satyr23
09-10-11, 16:58
I'm going to be in Brazil for close to 2 months and plan to enroll in a Brazilian Portuguese immersion course. Has anyone been through one or know which one's are reputable?

Thanks for any advice,

Satyr

SkinnyBop
09-10-11, 19:01
I'm going to be in Brazil for close to 2 months and plan to enroll in a Brazilian Portuguese immersion course. Has anyone been through one or know which one's are reputable?

Thanks for any advice,

SatyrIt depends. Which city are we talking about?

SkinnyBop
09-10-11, 19:04
However once I said it to a girl who I was trying to know and she got all offended. I'm not sure why.Some people don't like to be addressed like this by a stranger.

Rio Safado
09-11-11, 02:50

Does it follow the normal rules? For example, are these okay? :

Ela lhe fodeu. [she fucked him / her]

E.

Eu fodo para ela. [I fucked her] or Ele lhes fodo. [He fucked them]Lhe and lhes are indirect objects you should be using the direct objects o, os, a, as.

Ela o / a fodeu. [she fucked him / her]

Ele os / as fodeu. [He fucked them] use "as" if them are all females.

I think that "Eu fodo para ela" would be "I fuck for her"

SkinnyBop
09-12-11, 05:18
Lhe and lhes are indirect objects you should be using the direct objects o, os, a, as.

Ela o / a fodeu. [she fucked him / her]

Ele os / as fodeu. [He fucked them] use "as" if them are all females.

I think that "Eu fodo para ela" would be "I fuck for her"Lhe = Te.

Eu fodo para ela = I fuck for her.

I wouldn't use "ela o fodeu". It sounds like either she had a strap-on or she did something bad to someone. I would use instead of that "ele a fodeu" or "ele a comeu" (he ate her). In portuguese the verb "comer" (to eat) doesn't mean oral sex as in english. It means to fuck someone. Another alternative slang is "dar" (to give). If a girl "gives" to a man (ela me deu or (girl saying) eu dei pra ele) it means they had sex.

Rio Safado
09-13-11, 00:51
Lhe = Te.Indirect object pronouns.

Te = to / for you (familiar)

Lhe = to / for you (formal) , him, her, it

Bubba Boy
09-13-11, 01:25
Indirect object pronouns.

Lhe = to / for you (formal) , him, her, itLhe is very formal, you normally only see it written or you may hear it when speaking to highly educated Brazilians. Not that common when talking to your average GDP.

SkinnyBop
09-13-11, 06:58
Indirect object pronouns.

Lhe = to / for you (formal) , him, her, it
Lhe is very formal, you normally only see it written or you may hear it when speaking to highly educated Brazilians. Not that common when talking to your average GDP.Again, the average Joe may not use it cause public schools are terrible but it doesn't mean is very formal. Quite the opposite tbh. Unfortunately a lot of highly educated brazilians don't use it in the right way. A common mistake is:

Nao lhe conheco (Don't know you). The right sentence's "Nao o conheco"

O namorado lhe enganou (the boyfriend cheated on her). The right sentence's "o namorado a enganou"

Basically in everyday conversation te=lhe especially because they have similar sound and no one cares about the right grammar. Stick with that and forget the rest.

However deep down in the grammar books there are massive differences. Lhe (s) is used in substituition to "a ele","a ela","a voce","a eles","a elas" and "a voces". As it has been said "lhe" and "lhes" are indirect objects but they can be pronouns too.

In the other hand "Te" and "Ti" are pronouns. The have to be used instead of "tu" or "voce" only.

A quick explanation for advanced users can be seen on:

Te / Ti.

http://www.lpeu.com.br/a/Pronomes-te-e-ti-quando-usar.html

http://www.lpeu.com.br/a/Como-usar-os-pronomes-me

-te-e-ti. Html.

Lhe / Lhes as Pronouns.

http://www.radames.manosso.nom.br/gramatica/pronome.htm

Lhe / Lhes. Common use.

http://www.estadao.com.br/manualredacao/esclareca/lhelhes.shtm

BTW, Bubba Boy the very formal way of "lhe" you mentioned isn't even used by the President of Brazil. The only way to find it these days are either written on magazines / newspapers or when you're learning portuguese at school. It sounds like:

O filho obedecia-lhe them tudo (everyday use "O filho obedecia tudo")

Pedi-lhe que saisse (pedi que ele (a) saisse)

Samburo
09-15-11, 00:37
It is the diminutive form of the word. Adding inho (masc) or inha (fem) forms the diminutive form of a noun or a more affectionate form of a proper noun. Gatinha is a female kitten. Gatinho, a male kitten. Ghostinho would be a more affectionate form of address, similar to Joanie rather than Joan.Thanks. If a girl ask a friend for I want to be "seu gatinha" does that includes a offer for fuck me?

SkinnyBop
09-15-11, 07:46
Thanks. If a girl ask a friend for I want to be "seu gatinha" does that includes a offer for fuck me?Seu gatinho. You (you're a girl's gatinho)

Sua gatinha. Girl (the girl is sua gatinha)

Offer to fuck you. It depends of the girl and environment. One friend mine always says: step by step you'll get there.

Sperto
09-15-11, 11:01
Thanks. If a girl ask a friend for I want to be "seu gatinha" does that includes a offer for fuck me?
If it's a prostitue that asks you that would propably include a offer to f*ck her.
If it's a regular girl that asks you it's propably not included a "please f*ck me"-offer.

P.S SUA gatinha.

Samburo
09-15-11, 15:02
A girl, which is named Xupeta. What does that mean?

Sperto
09-15-11, 20:26
A girl, which is named Xupeta. What does that mean?
Chupeta is a pacifier for babies.
No girl is named chupeta, or xupeta. Most likely it's a nickname, chosen by a pro. She might be good at giving BJ.

Sui Generis
09-15-11, 20:45
Chupeta is a pacifier for babies.

No girl is named chupeta, or xupeta. Most likely it's a nickname, chosen by a pro. She might be good at giving BJ.

Exactly, it derives from the verb chupar (to suck) and the nominal form means « oral sex » (more precisely Blow Job) (uma chupeta ).

A synonym is « boquete » or « bico ».

When you lick (instead of sucking) for example a clitoris (a grelo) the verb is lamber.

I found that funny video on Youtube. A chupadora (la suceuse in French) is a woman who has good skills when it comes to oral sex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ9vvO5acX8

Samburo
09-18-11, 21:15
I found Cury singel as a answer and in a connection: falae cury

Exec Talent
10-03-11, 04:37
Mulata is misspelled by many people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulatto

As you scroll down the article you will see that it is mulato In Portuguese.

SkinnyBop
10-03-11, 06:52
Mulata is misspelled by many people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulatto

As you scroll down the article you will see that it is mulato In Portuguese.What do you mean?

Mulato = male.

Mulata = female

Bubba Boy
10-03-11, 15:49
What do you mean?

Mulato = male.

Mulata = femaleIt was stated correctly below with Execs post. If you are referring to Mulato's in general I. E. Both males and females of this mixed race, you would use "o" on the end. If you were specifically referring to women then of course you would use Mulata.

Same format as say referring to "Brazilians" in Portuguese it would be "Brasileiros". Brazilian females = Brasileiras, Brazilian males= Brasileiros, when referring to Brazlians in general = Brasileiros!

SkinnyBop
10-04-11, 05:55
It was stated correctly below with Execs post. If you are referring to Mulato's in general I. E. Both males and females of this mixed race, you would use "o" on the end. If you were specifically referring to women then of course you would use Mulata.

Same format as say referring to "Brazilians" in Portuguese it would be "Brasileiros". Brazilian females = Brasileiras, Brazilian males= Brasileiros, when referring to Brazlians in general = Brasileiros!Yes. Words which contain a group of males and females will always end with "o" regardless number of males. If someone has 9 sisters and 1 brother this person has to refer as this particular group as "irmaos" not "irmas" nor "irmao e irmas".

So using this example, mulato, when you say:

- mulato. It has to be a man.

- mulatos. It could be mixed or only men.

- mulata and mulatas. It has to be one or a group of women only

Beach Star
10-05-11, 01:39
Same format as say referring to "Brazilians" in Portuguese it would be "Brasileiros". Brazilian females = Brasileiras, Brazilian males= Brasileiros, when referring to Brazlians in general = Brasileiros!Well, correct and not correct. The nationality of a brazilian is always feminine, hence a man can say correctly "eu sou brasilera". I am not a linguist, but I guess this is correct because he is saying "eu sou (minha nacionalide e) brasileira. If a brazilian fills in a form asking for nationality he has to say "brasileira" whatever his gender.

Shit, wish I had taken lessons instead of learning on the street!

Bubba Boy
10-05-11, 04:27
Well, correct and not correct. The nationality of a brazilian is always feminine, hence a man can say correctly "eu sou brasilera". I am not a linguist, but I guess this is correct because he is saying "eu sou (minha nacionalide e) brasileira. If a brazilian fills in a form asking for nationality he has to say "brasileira" whatever his gender.

Shit, wish I had taken lessons instead of learning on the street!Yes you would have to use the feminine version when referring to a feminine word like "nacionalidade". This is not the same usage as that quoted below. Different subject for a different day I guess.

SkinnyBop
10-05-11, 05:48
Well, correct and not correct. The nationality of a brazilian is always feminine, hence a man can say correctly "eu sou brasilera". I am not a linguist, but I guess this is correct because he is saying "eu sou (minha nacionalide e) brasileira. If a brazilian fills in a form asking for nationality he has to say "brasileira" whatever his gender.

Shit, wish I had taken lessons instead of learning on the street!I'm sorry, you're wrong. I was born and raised in Brazil so I have to say "eu sou brasileiro" because it states my gender too. I repeat, and I do remember these grammar classes quite well, when you're stating something that includes both genders 99% of times it has to finish with "o". Only a woman would say "eu sou brasileira". Google it a famous patriotic chant "eu sou brasileiro com muito orgulho, com muito amor" and you'll see a lot of entries especially on You Tube. Exceptions would be nationalities where the adjective ends with "e". In this case either man or woman have to say "eu sou canadense" or when the adjective ends with a consonant so the consonant itself would be a male as in english, spaniard or french. Keep in mind this rule applies to all nationalities so if you want to avoid situations when someone may laugh at you always use the right adjective:

Americano (a)

Ingles (a)

Italiano (a)

Australiano (a)

Frances (a)

Espanhol (a)

Yes you would have to use the feminine version when referring to a feminine word like "nacionalidade". This is not the same usage as that quoted below. Different subject for a different day I guess.It's different case. You're referring to someone's "nacionalidade" so in this case because the word itself is female the right way to say is " (a) minha nacionalidade é brasileira / francesa / americana / canadense"

Samburo
10-06-11, 00:01
Can somebody tell me the translation from "the lapa" in the sentencs "gostei muito the lapa com vc"?

Samburo
10-06-11, 02:40
Can somebody tell me the translation from "the lapa" in the sentencs "gostei muito the lapa com vc"?Sorry the sentence was "gostei muito the lapa com vc"

Bubba Boy
10-06-11, 16:11
The Lapa, she may be referring to the area Lapa, the clubbing area close to centro?

SkinnyBop
10-06-11, 18:31
The Lapa, she may be referring to the area Lapa, the clubbing area close to centro?I don't think so. Even though I never heard this slang before (most likely a local slang) it sounds more like "I enjoyed hanging out with you","I liked our conversation" or even "we had great sex".

Where's this person from?

Gaucho9
10-06-11, 23:10
Sorry the sentence was "gostei muito the lapa com vc"Lapa is not a verb. It's a type of flat stone or a mollusc. Or it can be used to define a situation or a person specially "sticky".

But it seems to me that, if you two have been at anytime at Lapa (possible?) , she's simply saying:

Eu gostei muito de Lapa com você.

I enjoyed being in Lapa with you.

And if not, hey, are you sure you heard it right?

Beach Star
10-07-11, 00:08
I don't think so. Even though I never heard this slang before (most likely a local slang) it sounds more like "I enjoyed hanging out with you","I liked our conversation" or even "we had great sex".

Where's this person from?Try saying it, paulista, in a carioca way " gostaria de ir a lapa com vc" I think Bubba is right, but keep correcting our grammar.

Poucolouco
10-07-11, 02:50
Sorry the sentence was "gostei muito the lapa com vc"I agree with Bubba, however it would be odd for her to say "the" lapa. To an untrained ear, what we hear is sometimes not what was spoken. It's an interesting example of Gringo survival in Brasil.

Ghost, could you please clarify if the she interspersed the English definite article "the" in this sentence? Rather than attempting to decipher what you wrote, it might be useful to understand the homographic usage, I. E. What did you hear? Was it the Lapa, or could it have been "a" Lapa, or "na" Lapa? Also, since she used the preterite tense,"gostei," had you visited Lapa with her?

SkinnyBop
10-07-11, 05:54
Try saying it, paulista, in a carioca way " gostaria de ir a lapa com vc" I think Bubba is right, but keep correcting our grammar.Gostei and gostaria have different sounds. It seems she didn't say "I would like to go" instead of "I liked". Anyway as Poucolouco pointed out we aren't even sure if Ghost1506 misunderstood the sentence. I reckon she may have said:

Gostei de ir a lapa com voce. Where "de" sounds like "the"

In other hand if she used "lapa" as a verb / slang again I never heard of it and definately isn't used in Sao Paulo. The only thing that looks solved is the article "de" being used in that sentence and having a similar sound as "the".

Sperto
10-07-11, 06:54
In Brazil people speaks with quite different dialects depending on where you go in Brazil. Sometimes this can lead to misunderstandings.

Last time I was i Salvador I entered a bar. It was a small very crowded bar filled with locals. Getting to the counter was hard work. I ordered a beer at the counter. The volume in the bar was extremely loud. The lady on the other side leaned forward, looked me in the eyes and asked me with a typical bahiano dialect "Voce está drogado?" (You're on drugs?) I got insulted by the question as I never touch drugs and asked her to repeat. She repeated. I got really pissed of and started cursing loudly. It turned out that what she had asked me was "Voce tem trocado?" (You have small change? (the bar didn't have change for larger bills)). The misunderstanding was quickly explained and everybody got a good laugh.

Samburo
10-07-11, 12:11
Thanks. I did not know that "Lapa" is a area in Rio.

The Problem reporting was that the forum has a Text Cleanup Script that among other things.

Changes the slang expression "the" (I. E."in the house") to correct english word "the" (I. E."in the house").

I found from the area "Lapa" this link http://www.lanalapa.com.br/

Upgrade
10-07-11, 13:05
I agree with Bubba, however it would be odd for her to say "the" lapa. To an untrained ear, what we hear is sometimes not what was spoken. It's an interesting example of Gringo survival in Brasil.

Ghost, could you please clarify if the she interspersed the English definite article "the" in this sentence? Rather than attempting to decipher what you wrote, it might be useful to understand the homographic usage, I. E. What did you hear? Was it the Lapa, or could it have been "a" Lapa, or "na" Lapa? Also, since she used the preterite tense,"gostei," had you visited Lapa with her?It's a translation of the article. You're right: "gostei muito the lapa com vc". "Eu gostei muito the Lapa com você" not much different than "Eu gostei muito do filme com vc" etc.

Poucolouco
10-07-11, 15:41
It's a translation of the article. You're right: "gostei muito the lapa com vc". "Eu gostei muito the Lapa com você" not much different than "Eu gostei muito do filme com vc" etc."The" was a product of the ISG spelling software. Arbitrarily correcting English spelling is not much use in a Portuguese language thread.

Samburo
10-07-11, 15:56
You're right, it's impossible to write "the. A" (without.) to the Forum, because it was automatically changed to "the".

Samburo
10-19-11, 01:47
What or Who is Juke in Rio de Janeiro. I have heard from some people; vai na Juke.

I have also understand that You need a ticket for this event,

Is that the DJ Juke from USA?

Sui Generis
10-19-11, 08:17
What or Who is Juke in Rio de Janeiro. I have heard from some people; vai na Juke.

I have also understand that You need a ticket for this event,

Is that the DJ Juke from USA?It refers to the Festa Jukebox, a recurring dance party (rave?) that his held in Flamengo.

Sperto
10-21-11, 07:18
I love brazilian slang.

This one I find quite amusing.

If the girl tells you "Estou de boi" or "Estou com o boi", what does she mean?
She's with the bull?

That's a way of saying that's she's menstruated. This slang is quite common in Bahia and in other parts of Nordeste.
In a way it's logic.
The bull gets attracted by the red color. The bull is angry and irritated just like a menstruated girl.

SkinnyBop
10-21-11, 19:40
I love brazilian slang.

This one I find quite amusing.

If the girl tells you "Estou de boi" or "Estou com o boi", what does she mean?

She's with the bull?

That's a way of saying that's she's menstruated. This slang is quite common in Bahia and in other parts of Nordeste.

In a way it's logic.

The bull gets attracted by the red color. The bull is angry and irritated just like a menstruated girl.Great slang! Down in the South they use different slang for that such as:

- Estou de chico / xico

- Campo encharcado / molhado (wet field as in football preventing you to play in it)

Riofan6
10-28-11, 20:17
I'm guessing all you "experts" in Porto out there have already noticed this, but I JUST noticed, hence the title of my post.

AND this relates to all you lovers of the former "T. A." and you haters of the current "Balcony."

One of the other names of "T. A." was "Varanda." And the Porto translation of "Balcony" IS "Varanda."

Quite the irony there huh!

Poucolouco
10-29-11, 00:32
I'm guessing all you "experts" in Porto out there have already noticed this, but I JUST noticed, hence the title of my post.

AND this relates to all you lovers of the former "T. A." and you haters of the current "Balcony."

One of the other names of "T. A." was "Varanda." And the Porto translation of "Balcony" IS "Varanda."

Quite the irony there huh!Not totally right. Veranda did not refer to Terrasso Atlantico, it referred to the second floor outdoor patio area of Help. If you had looked up from TA to the second level you would have seen people on the Veranda or if you had ventured upstairs you would have found the entrance to the Veranda. Terrasso was the terrace level of the restaurant. The words Balcony and Veranda occur in both English and Portuguese and have the same meanings.

Riofan6
10-29-11, 02:47
I believe before the second floor was known as "Varanda," it was part of the Terracao Atlantica Restaurant and was called "Sobre as Ondas." I ate there several times and spent much time out there after it was absorbed into "HELP." Nice place to go to get away from the smoke inside the disco.

Not totally right. Veranda did not refer to Terrasso Atlantico, it referred to the second floor outdoor patio area of Help. If you had looked up from TA to the second level you would have seen people on the Veranda or if you had ventured upstairs you would have found the entrance to the Veranda. Terrasso was the terrace level of the restaurant. The words Balcony and Veranda occur in both English and Portuguese and have the same meanings.

Rio Bob
10-29-11, 15:09
I believe before the second floor was known as "Varanda," it was part of the Terracao Atlantica Restaurant and was called "Sobre as Ondas." I ate there several times and spent much time out there after it was absorbed into "HELP." Nice place to go to get away from the smoke inside the disco.Yes it was Sobre as Ondas, Rio of yesterday, now this is Rio of today:

http://riotimesonline.com/brazil-news/rio-entertainment/studio-rj-a-new-club-opens-in-rio/

Samburo
11-16-11, 21:54
What is Maguaca?

Java Man
11-17-11, 05:20
What is Maguaca?No English translation found for 'Maguaca'.

Did you mean?

Macaca: Female monkey; female woman, ugly woman

Sperto
11-17-11, 06:43
What is Maguaca?Is this another one of your google translations?

Samburo
11-17-11, 10:21
They were talking about a girl. It must be a portuguese phrases maybe for a drug?

Sui Generis
11-17-11, 10:38
The only term that come close to *maquaca is "manguaça".

This is a popular term refers to booze (pinga, bebida).

It's also the name of a popular cartoon Cachaça e Manguaça. A kind of Brazilian Beavis and Butthead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf90GY8DUt4

Estar da manguaça means to be drunk.

Samburo
11-17-11, 13:56
The only term that come close to *maquaca is "manguaça".

This is a popular term refers to booze (pinga, bebida).

It's also the name of a popular cartoon Cachaça e Manguaça. A kind of Brazilian Beavis and Butthead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf90GY8DUt4

Estar the manguaça means to be drunk."thanks: I think You are right, the girl could be drunken"

Sperto
11-29-11, 09:27
The girl wanted to buy a naitebruique (notebook). :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSCSjOvGq-0&feature=related

Java Man
11-29-11, 12:04
Naitebruique? I think I have a better one. They pronounce it as: Chi-Len-O-ly. Guess what that is? First time I heard, I thought it was unique to Brazil. LOL

Pilfers22
11-29-11, 16:46
I'm headed to Sao Paulo and Rio in January an am trying to learn Portuguese as fast as possible.

I got a big discount on Rosetta Stone through my work and have been studying that at home, plus I borrowed Pimsleur Level 1-3 from a friend and have been listening on my ipod commuting to and from work. I also took out audio cd / book from the local library.

Overall, I'm finding that Pimsleur is, by far, the best because everything you learn is situation based and makes you work very hard on pronunciation, verb conjugation, and vocabulary. Its definitely geared towards practical learning that can be used immediately when travelling to Brazil. I also find it the most entertaining of the 3, because it requires good concentration and is constantly quizzing you and adding in new vocab words.

Rosetta Stone is good but somewhat disappointing in that it teaches you in a similar fashion to how many of us learned languages in USA high schools, where you are drilled repetitively in different ways to learn vocabulary, but not pushed to then use what you've learned in a practical way necessarily. I'm a visual learner which makes Rosetta Stone nice, but the problem is that their is no context to what they are teaching you at times. For example, you learn a new verb like vai, and understand what it means from the picture, but you may not see the other conjugation of that verb for a long time, nor do you ever see that the verb itself is ir which means 'to go'. So even though the photos they show you help to retain vocab, when you are trying to use the vocab in a practical manner and reach back into your memory for a verb conjugation, it may not be there because its all a jumbled mess thanks to the order that they teach you.

The audio cd / book I got from the library (sorry, can't remember the name) is nothing special, but it is very helpful in combination with Rosetta Stone because it provides the context thats missing by showing verb conjugation charts, irregular verbs, contractions, etc that is very useful to see altogether so you can visually memorize the differences (if you learn that way). Using this set alone would make it very hard to learn quickly and efficiently.

Hope this helps anyone out there in the same situation.

One other thing that's been useful for anyone with an iphone, are the flash card apps that you can download for free. You can create your own deck of flash cards and drill yourself on vocab you're having trouble with or even the all-important 'Bubba Boy interview questions':

Você faz Tudo?

Voce chupa sem camisinha?

Você faz sexo anal?

Você gosta de sexo anal?

Eu posso gozar na sua boca?

Pilfers22
12-07-11, 17:36
In Brazil do people actually use eu and nos when speaking to each other? Since those two always have their own verb conjugations, seems like they are unnecessary, whereas voce, ele / ela, eles / elas need to be said for clarity. Rosetta Stone and Pimsleur always ask you to use both, but its unclear to me whether thats just to make sure you understand the connection between the two.

Thanks for your help!

Sui Generis
12-07-11, 21:41
In Brazil do people actually use eu and nos when speaking to each other? Since those two always have their own verb conjugations, seems like they are unnecessary, whereas voce, ele / ela, eles / elas need to be said for clarity. Rosetta Stone and Pimsleur always ask you to use both, but its unclear to me whether thats just to make sure you understand the connection between the two.

Thanks for your help!When people speak to each other it is not necessary to use the personal pronoms because the endings of the verbs explain everything.

If you use a personal pronom, for example eu (I) , doing that you stress the fact that you are the agent of the action. Suppose someone enters a messy room and says: Who did this mess? If you reply: EU fiz isso! (I did this) you stress the fact that you are the only person responsible for the mess. If you want to say that you are tired, it is not necessary to say the whole phrase: Eu estou cansado. You can say: Estou cansado, and that is enough. You can even use a shorter form: Tô cansado, but this is very colloquial.

Albert Punter
12-13-11, 01:11
I confirm it is not necessary to use personal pronouns EU e NOS in Portuguese language.

Poucolouco
12-22-11, 15:06
FSI has a current special price only $19. 95 plus shipping for their 48-Lesson Portuguese course.

This is available for today and tomorrow only. Prices will return to $100. 00 on 24/12/2011. Details here:

http://www.foreignserviceinstitute.com/learn-portuguese/

Flexinbk
12-23-11, 02:44
FSI has a current special price only $19. 95 plus shipping for their 48-Lesson Portuguese course.

This is available for today and tomorrow only. Prices will return to $100. 00 on 24/12/2011. Details here:

http://www.foreignserviceinstitute.com/learn-portuguese/Aren't these documents in the public domain (meaning free)? Is this new and updated?

Poucolouco
12-23-11, 05:28
Aren't these documents in the public domain (meaning free)? Is this new and updated?They used to be free for download from FSI. In fact I have a free copy of Vol I that I downloaded years ago. However when I tried to go to the original site yesterday, it was no longer available (bad link.) That's how I found this site. Aparently FSI has cleaned up the original free stuff and improved the sound quality. That is what they are advertising. You may be able to find the original public domain scratchy version somewhere. I just posted the sale price for this version as it is advertised FYI.

Rio Safado
12-23-11, 16:30
This is the free site http://fsi-language-courses.org/

HungryStud101
12-24-11, 18:46
I'm headed to Sao Paulo and Rio in January an am trying to learn Portuguese as fast as possible.

IRosetta Stone is good but somewhat disappointing in that it teaches you in a similar fashion to how many of us learned languages in USA high schools, where you are drilled repetitively in different ways to learn vocabulary, but not pushed to then use what you've learned in a practical way necessarily. I'm a visual learner which makes Rosetta Stone nice, but the problem is that their is no context to what they are teaching you at times. For example, you learn a new verb like vai, and understand what it means from the picture, but you may not see the other conjugation of that verb for a long time, nor do you ever see that the verb itself is ir which means 'to go'. So even though the photos they show you help to retain vocab, when you are trying to use the vocab in a practical manner and reach back into your memory for a verb conjugation, it may not be there because its all a jumbled mess thanks to the order that they teach you.

Você faz Tudo?

Voce chupa sem camisinha?

Você faz sexo anal?

Você gosta de sexo anal?

Eu posso gozar na sua boca?I have just finished the 2nd CD in my Rosseta Portuguse lessons. This has taken 3. 5 meses! And I agree with the poster. RossetaStone could benefit by providing some explination in English. RossetaStone does not translate a single word or phrase. Nor does it provide a single rule. It is all pictures. They say this is how you learned to speak as a child so this is how you should learn as an adult. They call it immersion. Maybe since I have mastered English, they could use some English to convey some rules in Porto. What I noticed is that the only english that can be found is the instructions as to how to accomplish the lessons. Other then that I could hand these over to a speaker of German or Mandarin and they could use them just as well as I could. Also, they could take the same exact set of pictures and write in any explination in any language. This cuts the number of skews (or whatever you want to call it) down to a minimum and allows RossetStone to maximize profits under the guise of immersion.

I tried Babel and this helped. They did a good job explaining verb tenses. Better than RossetaStone. Rosseta has been good but too much useless non-specific to brasil phrases. Take out anything to do with Paril or a mosque. What the fuck do I care about Egito when I am traveling in Brasil? Some complex phrases that are not necessary! For example:

"O cachorro e o gato nao vivem no jardim zoologico."

Now when the fuck am I going to belt out this phrase at the Balconi? I like RossetaStone but I need something more specific to my needs. We need BubbaStone for Rio / Sampa hobbyists. All the words listed by Pilfer above and maybe some other phrases such as "Esse isto transvesti?" and you would click on the foto of a GDP with a head which is about 15% too big to be a garota and "Ela nao gusto jogava sexo" you click on a picture of some snake eyed balconi skank or some skank leaning on her car on Atlantica that looks likely to rob you.

Bubba how about it? I would pay 169$ for BubbaStone.

Samburo
01-12-12, 17:43
What kind of drink is "um pokim"?

Sui Generis
01-12-12, 20:58
What kind of drink is "um pokim"?Samburo, in that case it doesn't refer to a kind of drink but to a quantity."Um pokim" means the same thing as "um pouquinho" which in it's turn means "um pouco" (a little bit).

Poucolouco
01-12-12, 21:59
What kind of drink is "um pokim"?Are you sure the word was not pouquim? Pouquim is a slang form of pouquinho, which means "very little," a small amount.

In this video, Hugo e Rey sing "Bebo um Pouquim" I drink a little.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNjFUUUYdBE

Jan 156
01-12-12, 23:08
Bubba how about it? I would pay 169$ for BubbaStoneOr something like that, yes. I think a full and thorough Porto course is great (not something I had the patience for, flicking thru Pimsleur with slightly tedious approach must admit) ; but immersion, as the previous poster said, is key, whether you do or not.

Of the educated Brasilians I talk to or have work interests with, half speak good English. A Ph. D in Brasilian Porto would still not enable me to have a technical discussion with the other half, so I either a) get their colleague to translate, or be) look up the words and phrases I need in advance.

This I think is another essential. To understand enough of the language to get the rough gist of a sentence and know when Google Translate (which also does audio) has screwed up and be able to correct it. Immersing yourself in a Pimsleur or similar, together with a big dictionary and a book of verb conjugations gives you that.

But also, realising that for bar hopping and mongering you do not need to do things like complete sentences. They can sound phoney, especially after a few drinks. Listening how the local lowlife talks is s better education IMHO.

Middle class non-P4P is the same as for academics. Half of them speak decent English and love to use it. If you have decent game and can generate the chemistry, you'll find enough words between you.

I've watched the laboured efforts of done people who have studied a Porto course thoroughly and admire their tenacity. But they often struggle with more basic late night conversation. Even my Porto teacher her (Uni qualified) struggles with slang.

So I am sure much of this is blasphemous to the language minded adherents. But to others it might perhaps ring a faintly useful bell. In ten years of Brasil mongering, it works just fine and dandy for me. And the variations on pouco just quoted for instance can be guessed instinctively. And correctly BTW.

Good luck, just find what suits you is my take in it all.

Samburo
01-12-12, 23:35
Are you sure the word was not pouquim? Pouquim is a slang form of pouquinho, which means "very little," a small amount.

In this video, Hugo e Rey sing "Bebo um Pouquim" I drink a little.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNjFUUUYdBE"I found these sentencs in Facebook : isso porque bebeu pokim rss"

Jan 156
01-13-12, 05:56
On a personal interest note, does anyone translate the carnaval enredos? The official translation by O Globo (when it comes out) always strikes me as pretty poor. Similarly, careful use of Google Translate will give you a general idea of what's going on in each parade, but loses the beautiful lyricism of the actual Porto. The songs are frequently replete with subtleties, and often use a sort of shorthand for the published themes (which means mistranslation is easy unless looking at both together). Just asking.

HungryStud101
01-13-12, 06:06
On a personal interest note, does anyone translate the carnaval enredos? The official translation by O Globo (when it comes out) always strikes me as pretty poor. Similarly, careful use of Google Translate will give you a general idea of what's going on in each parade, but loses the beautiful lyricism of the actual Porto. The songs are frequently replete with subtleties, and often use a sort of shorthand for the published themes (which means mistranslation is easy unless looking at both together). Just asking.I have tranlated one

Poucolouco
01-13-12, 17:59
"I found these sentencs in Facebook : isso porque bebeu pokim rss"This demonstrates the fact that people often mistype, misspell, and elide in written communication (both English and Portuguese.) Brasilians often omit vowels completely, which can be as distracting as trying to read text messages sent by an adolescent. Kkkkk

Mr Enternational
01-14-12, 01:52
I think a full and thorough Porto course is great (not something I had the patience for, flicking thru Pimsleur with slightly tedious approach must admit) ; but immersion, as the previous poster said, is key, whether you do or not.

Of the educated Brasilians I talk to or have work interests with, half speak good English. A Ph. D in Brasilian Porto would still not enable me to have a technical discussion with the other half, A technical discussion or any discussion at all? I'm down in Peru and I speak pretty good Spanish. But I was on the bus today listening to the driver and an old man talk. And I was thinking the same thing. I could not make out 1 word of what they were saying. It just sounding like they were mumbling to me.

Lorenzo
01-14-12, 06:54
How would you translate "sugar daddy" into Portuguese? I think I've reached the stage in life where I'm ready to be one. The closest I have been able to come up with is "padrinho," but that doesn't have the same connotations (although in all likelihood a garota would understand what I mean)."Patrao" is out; that sounds too much like "boss." Any suggestions?

Erectus Indicus
01-14-12, 11:14
In my case, an instructor-led class for grammatical understanding, Pimsleur and a mixture of watching movies (with subtitles) , news and youtube help me. Guess I have too much time on my hands. If you don't have time to go to class, there is an excellent concise Portuguese grammar book available very cheaply on Amazon. It is old, it is for European Portuguese but for the basic sentence construction etc and with Pimsleur, it might help.

This demonstrates the fact that people often mistype, misspell, and elide in written communication (both English and Portuguese.) Brasilians often omit vowels completely, which can be as distracting as trying to read text messages sent by an adolescent. KkkkkAlso I find that the GdPs don't ever spell correctly, perhaps cannot. One, I find, happily replaces every 'Y' with 'I' everywhere and some of their sentences drive me and Google Translate nuts.

Sui Generis
01-14-12, 15:40
How would you translate "sugar daddy" into Portuguese? I think I've reached the stage in life where I'm ready to be one. The closest I have been able to come up with is "padrinho," but that doesn't have the same connotations (although in all likelihood a garota would understand what I mean)."Patrao" is out; that sounds too much like "boss." Any suggestions?Like several words in English (or other languages, by the way) it's impossible to find a perfect match with an equivalent word in Portuguese. In the litterature (in the Brazilian newspapers, for instance) they borrow the English word "Sugar Daddy". Sometimes it is followed by a quick explanation such as "senhores endinheirados de terceira idade" or simply "senhores endinheirados".

I have also heard "paizão" on the streets but I'm sure there is a native expression that express in a better way "Sugar Daddy".

Poucolouco
01-14-12, 16:24
Also I find that the GdPs don't ever spell correctly, perhaps cannot. One, I find, happily replaces every 'Y' with 'I' everywhere and some of their sentences drive me and Google Translate nuts.Also you don't need to worry about GdPs missing periods. They never capitalize the first word of sentences nor end sentences with a period. Paragraph? Forget about it.

Eric Cartman
01-14-12, 20:22
Also you don't need to worry about GdPs missing periods. They never capitalize the first word of sentences nor end sentences with a period. Paragraph? Forget about it.Hm, a GDP missing her period is actually one of the things that fill me with fear.

Eric Cartman
01-14-12, 20:24
Samburo, in that case it doesn't refer to a kind of drink but to a quantity."Um pokim" means the same thing as "um pouquinho" which in it's turn means "um pouco" (a little bit).In part they spell like shit because they were used to texting on non-smartphones that lacked keyboards. A lot of it is shorthand slang that evolved for texting, that they then moved to facebook and email. Afaik.

The way they all talk like kids on Facebook and slang emails annoys the crap out of me: "Eu te adoooooooooro! Beijiiinnnhoooooss!" Ack.

Poucolouco
01-14-12, 20:39
In part they spell like shit because they were used to texting on non-smartphones that lacked keyboards. A lot of it is shorthand slang that evolved for texting, that they then moved to facebook and email. Afaik.

The way they all talk like kids on Facebook and slang emails annoys the crap out of me: "Eu te adoooooooooro! Beijiiinnnhoooooss!" Ack.I observed it in e-mails before texting on non-smartphones. I attribute it to non-smart GdPs. However, I have also seen it with a PhD lawyer as well. She also favored the caps Lock key; very annoying.

Java Man
01-14-12, 21:03
I have also heard "paizão" on the streets but I'm sure there is a native expression that express in a better way "Sugar Daddy".Paizão, literally Big Daddy, never heard that one before, but I've heard Papa Noel, (Santa Claus,) used in this context.

Mr Enternational
01-14-12, 21:40
How would you translate "sugar daddy" into Portuguese? I think I've reached the stage in life where I'm ready to be one. The closest I have been able to come up with is "padrinho," but that doesn't have the same connotations (although in all likelihood a garota would understand what I mean)."Patrao" is out; that sounds too much like "boss." Any suggestions?I asked my lawyer chick and she said you call him "stupid!"

FABIANA says: the man have only friendship with the girl or the man and girl have sex?

Mrenternational x_x_x says: yes sex too.

FABIANA says: não existe uma palavra em portugues para isso assim.

Homem dando dinehiro para mulher mais nova. Stupid. Hahhahha

mrenternational x_x_x says: in english it is sugar daddy

FABIANA says: hahhahhaha aqui nao. aqui é stupid mesmo. hahhaha. asshole

Eric Cartman
01-14-12, 21:59
I asked my lawyer chick and she said you call him "stupid!"

FABIANA says: the man have only friendship with the girl or the man and girl have sex?

FABIANA says: andão existe uma palavra them portugues para isso assim.

Homem dando dinehiro para mulher mais nova. Stupid. Hahhahha.

Mrenternational x_x_x says: in english it is sugar daddy.

FABIANA says: hahhahhaha aqui nao. Aqui é stupid mesmo. Hahhaha. AssholeSorry, I don't understand that at all? Why does she think it is stupid? We have heard many times about the "arrangement" here. Especially out in the Baixada, Zona Norte, etc. Where older guys give the 20-something chicks like R1000-R2000 per month and bang them. It seems extremely common. Is she saying a name for it is stupid, or the act itself?

Poucolouco
01-14-12, 22:18
Sorry, I don't understand that at all? Why does she think it is stupid? We have heard many times about the "arrangement" here. Especially out in the Baixada, Zona Norte, etc. Where older guys give the 20-something chicks like R1000-R2000 per month and bang them. It seems extremely common. Is she saying a name for it is stupid, or the act itself?I agree with Java Man. I have heard Papai Noel, and Padrao and the more affectionate term,"Anjo."

Lorenzo
01-15-12, 04:48
I asked my lawyer chick and she said you call him "stupid!"

FABIANA says: andão existe uma palavra them portugues para isso assim.

Homem dando dinehiro para mulher mais nova. Stupid. Hahhahha.

Mrenternational x_x_x says: in english it is sugar daddy.

FABIANA says: hahhahhaha aqui nao. Aqui é stupid mesmo. Hahhaha. AssholeI'm not clear exactly what your lawyer friend thinks is stupid. Paying a brasileira for sex? If that's the case then the hundreds, perhaps thousands, of posters on the Brazil threads, including yourself, are stupid. Ask her how the fuck else she expects a gringo to get a brasileira young enough to be his granddaughter to have sex with him. Through his charm?

Lorenzo
01-15-12, 04:50
I agree with Java Man. I have heard Papai Noel, and Padrao and the more affectionate term,"Anjo."I've found the right word: anjo. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Now let's see how it works.

Mr Enternational
01-15-12, 05:35
I'm not clear exactly what your lawyer friend thinks is stupid. Paying a brasileira for sex? If that's the case then the hundreds, perhaps thousands, of posters on the Brazil threads, including yourself, are stupid. Ask her how the fuck else she expects a gringo to get a brasileira young enough to be his granddaughter to have sex with him. Through his charm?I know. How many non-pros do you know who think it's a great idea and men are smart to pay a woman for sex? You have to realize that most of the general population of the planet thinks it is a dumb idea to pay a woman for sex, hence it being illegal in most places. The reason we mongers see it as we do is because we are the initiated on the inside looking around whereas the gp is on the outside looking in. The same way members of any cult may truly believe "this is the way", however people outside of that group think of them as all fools. Most of the men that I know (family members, friends, colleagues) don't have a problem with it and at times enjoy participating, but a female's perspective is totally different and they tend to be shocked by the thought.

SkinnyBop
01-19-12, 23:35
I've found the right word: anjo. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Now let's see how it works.Angel? The girls will think you're sweet and pure as an angel. Actually it is quite the opposite meaning you were after.

Paizão, literally Big Daddy, never heard that one before, but I've heard Papa Noel, (Santa Claus,) used in this context.Unless you've got Santa's physical attributes, I'd skip that one too.

How would you translate "sugar daddy" into Portuguese? I think I've reached the stage in life where I'm ready to be one. The closest I have been able to come up with is "padrinho," but that doesn't have the same connotations (although in all likelihood a garota would understand what I mean)."Patrao" is out; that sounds too much like "boss." Any suggestions?As has been pointed out it's impossible to find a perfect match with an equivalent word in Portuguese. You may try tigrão, paizão or being straightforward saying simply: amante rico

Sui Generis
01-20-12, 00:11
Angel? The girls will think you're sweet and pure as an angel. Actually it is quite the opposite meaning you were after.

Unless you've got Santa's physical attributes, I'd skip that one too.

As has been pointed out it's impossible to find a perfect match with an equivalent word in Portuguese. You may try tigrão, paizão or being straightforward saying simply: amante ricoThere exist a simple reason explaining why there is no formal equivalent to the term "sugar daddy". Being essentially a derogatory term in English "sugar daddy"lacks that negative overtone in Brazilian Portuguese because it is more habitual there to see older men with young women (and it is more socially accepted).

Exec Talent
01-20-12, 01:35
There exist a simple reason explaining why there is no formal equivalent to the term "sugar daddy". Being essentially a derogatory term in English "sugar daddy"lacks that negative overtone in Brazilian Portuguese because it is more habitual there to see older men with young women (and it is more socially accepted).I have forgotten how many times I have asked my girl if she thinks the very young woman with a Brazilian guy is his daughter or his mistress. We see it all around Rio amd all the time. However, we know the answer for certain when the man is a gringo.

Poucolouco
01-20-12, 03:07
There exist a simple reason explaining why there is no formal equivalent to the term "sugar daddy". Being essentially a derogatory term in English "sugar daddy"lacks that negative overtone in Brazilian Portuguese because it is more habitual there to see older men with young women (and it is more socially accepted).I disagree that sugar daddy essentially is a derogatory term. A sugar daddy is a successful man who is looking for a woman to spoil and share his great lifestyle with. The only derogatory reference might be by an uninvolved party who is jealous of the arrangement. There even exist web sites for Sugar daddy dating and relationships. Examples are:

http://www.sugardaddyforme.com/

http://www.millionairedates.com/

http://sugardaddie.com/

My understanding was that Lorenzo had "reached the stage in life where he is ready to was ready to be a sugar daddy."

Lorenzo
01-20-12, 04:10
I disagree that sugar daddy essentially is a derogatory term. A sugar daddy is a successful man who is looking for a woman to spoil and share his great lifestyle with. The only derogatory reference might be by an uninvolved party who is jealous of the arrangement. There even exist web sites for Sugar daddy dating and relationships. Examples are:

http://www.sugardaddyforme.com/

http://www.millionairedates.com/

http://sugardaddie.com/

My understanding was that Lorenzo had "reached the stage in life where he is ready to was ready to be a sugar daddy."You are correct, sir, and I also disagree with those who say that sugar daddy is a derogatory term. The only people who are likely to consider it derogatory (other than out and out prudes) are men who are jealous because they can't afford to be one or women who are too unattractive to be a candidate for a sugar daddy's largesse.

Having accepted the fact that there is no direct equivalent of the term in Portuguese, I still like "anjo" best, in the sense in which it is sometimes used in English, e. G, a financial backer of a play is often called an angel. I'll try it out and see if the meaning is understood.

SkinnyBop
01-21-12, 05:57
There exist a simple reason explaining why there is no formal equivalent to the term "sugar daddy". Being essentially a derogatory term in English "sugar daddy"lacks that negative overtone in Brazilian Portuguese because it is more habitual there to see older men with young women (and it is more socially accepted).
You are correct, sir, and I also disagree with those who say that sugar daddy is a derogatory term. The only people who are likely to consider it derogatory (other than out and out prudes) are men who are jealous because they can't afford to be one or women who are too unattractive to be a candidate for a sugar daddy's largesse.

Having accepted the fact that there is no direct equivalent of the term in Portuguese, I still like "anjo" best, in the sense in which it is sometimes used in English, e. G, a financial backer of a play is often called an angel. I'll try it out and see if the meaning is understood.I didn't say it was a derogatory term however even these words most of the time do have a formal equivalent. Gold digger as an example could be easily translate into portuguese as "Golpe do Bau". It is simple. There's no direct equivalent of the term in portuguese.

What I disagree is the fact in Brazil it is more habitual to see older men with young women. It might be common in Ipanema / Copacabana but in Sao Paulo, Porto Alegre, bushland even in Barra the Tijuca it is as common as any other place in the world (almost none). If there any aussies reading this they may concur that amount of young asian girls with old caucasian blokes in the big cities of Australia is completely out of proportion as well as in Southeast Asia. In Brazil, again not counting Ipanema / Copacabana, I reckon isn't out of proportion at all.

AltoBomGosto
01-21-12, 16:41
I didn't say it was a derogatory term however even these words most of the time do have a formal equivalent. Gold digger as an example could be easily translate into portuguese as "Golpe do Bau". It is simple. There's no direct equivalent of the term in portuguese.

What I disagree is the fact in Brazil it is more habitual to see older men with young women. It might be common in Ipanema / Copacabana but in Sao Paulo, Porto Alegre, bushland even in Barra the Tijuca it is as common as any other place in the world (almost none). If there any aussies reading this they may concur that amount of young asian girls with old caucasian blokes in the big cities of Australia is completely out of proportion as well as in Southeast Asia. In Brazil, again not counting Ipanema / Copacabana, I reckon isn't out of proportion at all.Coronel would be the closest translation.

SkinnyBop
01-21-12, 19:15
Coronel would be the closest translation.In rural areas of Nordeste or Minas Gerais might be. In the rest of the country they'll think you're part of US Army.

Pilfers22
01-25-12, 18:40
When I was in SP and Rio, one thing I heard said a lot is 'tá bom'. From what I understand it means 'sounds good' or 'thats good' or 'okay', but can someone please clarify for me how and when to use this?

One thing that I feel like I didn't know nearly enough of was how to react to people saying 'matter-of-fact' things in Porto to me. Most of the time, I would say 'sim' back to them, but I didn't see others do that when talking to each other, so it was obviously not the way to go, although it wasn't incorrect.

The few things that I learned from Pimsleur were the following:

Está certo- thats right, thats agreed.

Está bem. Thats okay, thats good.

Excelente. Excellent.

Claro que sim. Certainly.

Can anyone provide a more comprehensive list of these types of phrases / words in the form locals speak?

Thanks in Advance

Bimbo Boy
01-25-12, 19:38
When I was in SP and Rio, one thing I heard said a lot is 'tá bom'. From what I understand it means 'sounds good' or 'thats good' or 'okay', but can someone please clarify for me how and when to use this?
One thing that I feel like I didn't know nearly enough of was how to react to people saying 'matter-of-fact' things in Porto to me. Most of the time, I would say 'sim' back to them, but I didn't see others do that when talking to each other, so it was obviously not the way to go, although it wasn't incorrect.
The few things that I learned from Pimsleur were the following:
Está certo- thats right, thats agreed.
Está bem. Thats okay, thats good.
Excelente. Excellent.
Claro que sim. Certainly.
Can anyone provide a more comprehensive list of these types of phrases / words in the form locals speak?

Thanks in Advance'tá bom' is just a quick and dirty way of saying "Está bem". It means exactly the same thing: "it's OK".

Other expressions are :

"otimo": it means "very good". Think about "optimum" in English.

"joia". It translates as "jewel" in English. It means the same as "ta bom", that means "it's OK, it looks as good as a jewel".

Mr Enternational
01-25-12, 20:47
'tá bom' is just a quick and dirty way of saying "Está bem". It means exactly the same thing: "it's OK".Exactly. For example if you went to a restaurant and the meat guy started piling meat on your plate. You could say "Ta bom" to get him to stop.

Or if you were buying something at a store and you were counting out coins to the cashier. When you thought you have given the correct amount you could ask,"Ta bom?" meaning is that ok, sufficient, or enough.

Other expressions are :

"joia". It translates as "jewel" in English. It means the same as "ta bom", that means "it's OK, it looks as good as a jewel".Sometimes when you ask people how they are doing they will answer saying,"Tudo otimo" or "Tuda joia." By the same token you can ask them if everything is going well by adding a question mark instead of a period to these same phrases. Valeu cara.

Rio Bob
01-25-12, 21:42
Exactly. For example if you went to a restaurant and the meat guy started piling meat on your plate. You could say "Ta bom" to get him to stop.

Or if you were buying something at a store and you were counting out coins to the cashier. When you thought you have given the correct amount you could ask,"Ta bom?" meaning is that ok, sufficient, or enough.

Sometimes when you ask people how they are doing they will answer saying,"Tudo otimo" or "Tuda joia." By the same token you can ask them if everything is going well by adding a question mark instead of a period to these same phrases. Valeu cara.You can also just say Ta

Rio Bob
01-25-12, 21:45
'tá bom' is just a quick and dirty way of saying "Está bem". It means exactly the same thing: "it's OK".

Other expressions are :

"joia". It translates as "jewel" in English. It means the same as "ta bom", that means "it's OK, it looks as good as a jewel".Another one is Tudo Legal. Everything is cool.

Pilfers22
01-26-12, 15:40
Thanks everyone! Very, very helpful information! These expressions are some of the most practical of all when you think of how many times a day you might use them. I wish I had asked before I went to Brazil.haha! Oh well, they will come in handy next trip for sure.

Sui Generis
01-26-12, 18:06
You can also just say TaI don't want to stir shit but it is not « ta » but « tá ».

Speaking of shit, the placement of accents is very important in Portuguese words: it makes all the difference, for instance, between coco (coconut / or head in popular language) and cocô (piece of shit).

Rio Bob
01-27-12, 06:43
I don't want to stir shit but it is not « ta » but « tá ».

Speaking of shit, the placement of accents is very important in Portuguese words: it makes all the difference, for instance, between coco (coconut / or head in popular language) and cocô (piece of shit).Thank you, I'll remember that the next time I say Ta'

Another one that always gets a chuckle when asked by a Brazilain Tudo Bem? Is the response Belezza Pura. Purely Beautiful.

Eric Cartman
01-28-12, 20:54
Thank you, I'll remember that the next time I say Ta'

Another one that always gets a chuckle when asked by a Brazilain Tudo Bem? Is the response Belezza Pura. Purely Beautiful.Just be careful."Ta bom" (Esta bom = It's good, not Esta Bem = It's well) is the kind of thing you say to a Taxi driver to tell him where to stop, or when you are asked something at a suco stand. Be careful about using a lot of the slang-ish phrases here anywhere near a business / professional Brazilian at work. Our guys say this kind of thing when they're clowning around at a bar at 9pm, but I have never heard the 'to and 'ta in any conversation with our Brazilian attorneys or auditors.

The problem with picking up Portuguese from working girls is, well, you sound like a working girl haha.

Rio Bob
01-28-12, 23:47
Just be careful."Ta bom" (Esta bom = It's good, not Esta Bem = It's well) is the kind of thing you say to a Taxi driver to tell him where to stop, or when you are asked something at a suco stand. Be careful about using a lot of the slang-ish phrases here anywhere near a business / professional Brazilian at work. Our guys say this kind of thing when they're clowning around at a bar at 9pm, but I have never heard the 'to and 'ta in any conversation with our Brazilian attorneys or auditors.

The problem with picking up Portuguese from working girls is, well, you sound like a working girl haha.Didn't pick it up from a working girl, just some friends having a fun conversation. Actually I hear waiters say Ta' and others too throughout the city.

MoneyShot
01-29-12, 21:30
Downloaded 'Pimsleur Brazil Portuguese' torrent today, had the old tapes but who has a Cassette player anymore?

Not sure how much I will learn in a few months before my return to Rio but will give it a try.

Kcrl01
01-30-12, 07:56
Downloaded 'Pimsleur Brazil Portuguese' torrent today, had the old tapes but who has a Cassette player anymore?

Not sure how much I will learn in a few months before my return to Rio but will give it a try.Wasting your time with Pimsleur, it's just memorization. Try Rosetta Stone, one hour a night for a month, and you'll be at the very least conversational. Trust me, it works.

Rio Bob
01-30-12, 15:39
Just received this in an instant message from a friend in Rio, she left off the ' on Ta', going to have to speak to her about this when I see her.

obrigada.

Quando vc chegar no Rio de janeiro me escreve ta

Sui Generis
01-30-12, 16:00
Just received this in an instant message from a friend in Rio, she left off the ' on Ta', going to have to speak to her about this when I see her.Don't worry about that. Most people writing on the Net don't even write properly or they simply don't care. This phenomenon is not peculiar to Brazil, it's worldwide.

For the English language the opus magmum would be a book by David Crystal:

Language and the Internet (Cambridge: CUP) , ix+272 pp.

I'm particularly aware of this phenomenon because for me (a French canadian or Québeécois if you prefer) language is a very sensitive issue. We are only 7 millions surrounded by more than 330 millions of people (Canada and United States included).

Exec Talent
01-30-12, 18:57
Wasting your time with Pimsleur, it's just memorization. Try Rosetta Stone, one hour a night for a month, and you'll be at the very least conversational. Trust me, it works.I recommend Rosetta Stone for people starting out because they actually will use it and gain confidence enough to proceed with other methods. Pimsleur is good to burn to MP3s and listen on the road or at the gym.

Another resource I have found useful for learning vocabulary is a picture dictionary.

http://www.amazon.com/Oxford-Picture-Dictionary-English-Brazilian-Portuguese/dp/0194740110/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1327945882&sr=8-2

For grammar:

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Portuguese-Grammar-Language-Guides/dp/0486216500/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327946031&sr=8-1

For verbs:

http://www.amazon.com/501-Portuguese-Verbs-Barrons/dp/0764129163/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327946197&sr=1-1

Eric Cartman
01-31-12, 02:54
Just received this in an instant message from a friend in Rio, she left off the ' on Ta', going to have to speak to her about this when I see her.Ta in this context is used as "OK?" Often said after a statement, like "I will see you later, OK?"

Your friend should be congratulated on her perfect use of the future subjunctive. "quando voce chegar." Well played.

Tiradentes
01-31-12, 03:06
Thank you, I'll remember that the next time I say Ta'

Another one that always gets a chuckle when asked by a Brazilain Tudo Bem? Is the response Belezza Pura. Purely Beautiful.It is time for the expert (yours truly) to interject some lesson before you guys get hurt due to your confusion with the Brazilian language.

I think you mean poha, not pura.

Poha in brazilian portuguese is way way way way different then in Spanish. While puha in spanish means pure as in pura vida (pure life) , poha is brazilian slang for CUM! Yes, cum as in ejaculation cum.

Have you ever watched a football game in stadium or in a bar in Brazil? The guys that are shouting angrily 'pora' for sure aren't meaning pure.

Belezza Pura in this context means: 'I am good, dick'.

Ta: is another word for 'OK'. For example one guy say to the other. 1. 'Vem aqui'.2. 'Ta.

Sui Generis
01-31-12, 03:54
It is time for the expert (yours truly) to interject some lesson before you guys get hurt due to your confusion with the Brazilian language.

I think you mean poha, not pura.

Poha in brazilian portuguese is way way way way different then in Spanish. While puha in spanish means pure as in pura vida (pure life) , poha is brazilian slang for CUM! Yes, cum as in ejaculation cum.It's more usual to find poha written this way: porra.

Bad words that are also used as interjection are: caralho, chiça.

HungryStud101
01-31-12, 05:32
Wasting your time with Pimsleur, it's just memorization. Try Rosetta Stone, one hour a night for a month, and you'll be at the very least conversational. Trust me, it works.I may try Pimsleur as a supplement. I'll try anything. The one thing I cannot understand is that Pimsleur is only phonetic. How can you learn to read or write? I am almost finished with RosettaStone. I am on my last unit of the 3rd CD and I am far from fluent. I have to say that I think that I am most impressed with my new found ability to read Portuguese. How can you do this with Pimsleur Especially when so many pronouns appear to be left out of or skipped over in spoken sentences? I want to be able to read or write as well as be able to speak and understand. I think reading is critical.

Rio Bob
01-31-12, 12:22
i may try pimsleur as a supplement. i'll try anything. the one thing i cannot understand is that pimsleur is only phonetic. how can you learn to read or write? i am almost finished with rosettastone. i am on my last unit of the 3rd cd and i am far from fluent. i have to say that i think that i am most impressed with my new found ability to read portuguese. how can you do this with pimsleur especially when so many pronouns appear to be left out of or skipped over in spoken sentences? i want to be able to read or write as well as be able to speak and understand. i think reading is critical.when i started to learn portuguese i went to group classes / private classes, did a lot of listening to tapes with a book in front of me, did a lot of reading and writing. then when i finally got pimsleur it helped me to speak portuguese and pulled all the reading and writing together for me. i also found that when i joined match. com back in 2004 at any one time i had about 20 girls on my instant message and was reading and writing in portuguese every night, at first it was a little rough but after a few months was able to basically understand and write back with no problem as i do today, far from perfect but it works. i just did a refresher all 90 pimsleur lessons past 2 months just to bring me back up to speed but pimsleur can only bring you so far, i guess you really have to immerse to get to a better level.

Rio Bob
02-01-12, 00:54
Ta in this context is used as "OK?" Often said after a statement, like "I will see you later, OK?"Correct but is it Ta or is it tá?

Eric Cartman
02-02-12, 01:11
It is time for the expert (yours truly) to interject some lesson before you guys get hurt due to your confusion with the Brazilian language.

I think you mean poha, not pura.You are wrong. It is in fact "Belleza pura". It's sort of a sarcastic or hyped up way of saying "Pure Beauty." That's what they mean when they say it. It is not "porra" (poh-ha) which does in fact mean sperm but is not used in this context.

SkinnyBop
02-02-12, 06:02
Correct but is it Ta or is it tá?Tá.

Esta (pron). This.

Está/tá (verb). To be.

http://pt.bab.la/dicionario/portugues-ingles/esta-ok

You are wrong. It is in fact "Belleza pura". It's sort of a sarcastic or hyped up way of saying "Pure Beauty." That's what they mean when they say it. It is not "porra" (poh-ha) which does in fact mean sperm but is not used in this context.Try to think as joker of playing card. Either porra and caralho can be used in different ways to emphasize something not only a specific meaning as sperm and penis. It could be bad or good situation and it depends of the speaker. Probably the most common replacement for them is fuck but not aways. Sometimes it is quite hard to get the right meaning cause a small change in the words may change completely its meaning.

Meu trabalho é do caralho. My job's great.
Meu trabalho é um caralho. My job sucks.

Porra, de foder. Great, I love it / Fuck, I hate it! / How come?

Que porra voce está fazendo. What hell are you doing?

Esta porra de loja não aceita cartao de crédito. This fucking shop doesn't take credit cards.

These are just few examples cause combinations are endless.

Pilfers22
02-02-12, 15:11
As a follow up to the 'tá bom' question. Was wondering if people use the negative of this to say something 'isn't okay', or is 'not good'?

I'm also a bit confused when to use está bom (or tá bom) vs. é bom. I understand that using é would imply its more permanent, but can it be permanent if its based on opinion if you are saying something is good or bad, funny or stupid, etc?

This may sound stupid, but I'm also confused when you are complimenting a garota (or anyone) would you say vocé está bonita, or vocé é bonita to imply they are definitely beautiful?

Thanks for everyone's help!

SkinnyBop
02-02-12, 23:47
As a follow up to the 'tá bom' question. Was wondering if people use the negative of this to say something 'isn't okay', or is 'not good'?

I'm also a bit confused when to use está bom (or tá bom) vs. é bom. I understand that using é would imply its more permanent, but can it be permanent if its based on opinion if you are saying something is good or bad, funny or stupid, etc?

This may sound stupid, but I'm also confused when you are complimenting a garota (or anyone) would you say vocé está bonita, or vocé é bonita to imply they are definitely beautiful?

Thanks for everyone's help!A brazilian learning english first deals with verb to be. It is by far the easiest one for a portuguese speaker. On the other hand, usually they make a lot of mistakes with do / make miss / lose cause they're similiar in portuguese if not the same. Verb to be splits in two different verbs in portuguese.

Ser.
Estar.

Ser. It is always true, a statement about yourself or someone else.
Eg: Eu sou homem (I'm a man)
Eu sou espanhol (I'm spaniard)
Ela é bonita (she's pretty. As she always is)
Ela é minha amiga (she's my friend)

Estar. At that particular moment that statement is true.
Eu estou com fome (I'm hungry)
Ela está bonita hoje (she's pretty today)
Ele está them casa (he's at home)
Eu estou com dinheiro (I've got money on me)

'isn't okay' is usually said as não (es)tá bom / não (es)tá legal

RexG
02-04-12, 16:29
Is there a familiar greeting used during carnival to express the spirit of the celebration; e. G, something akin to Merry Christmas?

SkinnyBop
02-05-12, 00:21
Is there a familiar greeting used during carnival to express the spirit of the celebration; e. G, something akin to Merry Christmas?Nothing really special. You may say so many different things at the same time:

Boa folia.

Bom carnaval.

Bom divertimento.

Aproveita o carnaval

Samburo
02-20-12, 14:57
I found at Internet these 2 sentences:

E ae po.

Fala aew po.

Can someone explain me these Abbreviations?

Rio Bob
02-20-12, 20:39

Thanks for everyone's help!Others may have a different opinion on this but:

I have called girls bonita in the past and they have said to me, Only?

So now I always say Vc e' Linda and if she is really hot I say Vc e' Linda demais.

Sui Generis
02-20-12, 21:02
Others may have a different opinion on this but:

So now I always say Vc e' Linda and if she is really hot I say Vc e' Linda demais.« Bonita » means only « cute » while « linda » means beautiful.

SkinnyBop
02-22-12, 04:58
Others may have a different opinion on this but:

So now I always say Vc e' Linda and if she is really hot I say Vc e' Linda demais.Bonita sounds simple in portuguese, that's why. Try to say muito (very) bonita. It should have the same result as linda.

I found at Internet these 2 sentences:

E ae po.

Fala aew po.

Can someone explain me these Abbreviations?Pô. It depends of the sense. Usually is short for "poxa" meaning gosh, wow, holy smoke, etc. Sometimes it can be used as short tense of porra.

Eg. Nao me fode, pô!. Don't fuck with me, for fucks sake!

Both sentences above mean "what's up?" as used by american teens. The second sentence it might be translate as "talk to me" too.

Esperma
03-07-12, 07:27
Bonita sounds simple in portuguese, that's why. Try to say muito (very) bonita. It should have the same result as linda.You could approach like a Brasilian guy, just put your hand around her waist, and say Gostoossaaa (Gostosa).

Tonyels
03-07-12, 16:14
Gerias (slang) are constantly changing as they are in English or other languages.

Current one I keep hearing:

Ta ligado? Which means are you in or are you connected?

SkinnyBop
03-08-12, 15:07
You could approach like a Brasilian guy, just put your hand around her waist, and say Gostoossaaa (Gostosa).It depends. It works with pro girls but it wouldn't be advised to use on a first date with a non-pro.

Gerias (slang) are constantly changing as they are in English or other languages.

Ta ligado? Which means are you in or are you connected?Gíria.

Tá ligado isn't a new slang but it has come back into fashion over the years. It is commonly used in the end of the setence as "you know" in english or to connect 2 sentences.

I don't like her, you know. Eu andão gosto dela, tá ligado?

I was there. You know. It was great. Eu estava la. Tá ligado. Foi bem legal

Sperto
03-08-12, 15:36
Brazilian slang is very regional. E. G "tá ligado" is specially used in Bahia. Many bahianos add a "tá ligado" after every sentence.

The bahian slang is the most colorful in Brazil. Tá massa!

SkinnyBop
03-09-12, 20:03
Brazilian slang is very regional. E. G "tá ligado" is specially used in Bahia. Many bahianos add a "tá ligado" after every sentence.

The bahian slang is the most colorful in Brazil. Tá massa!"tá ligado" is quite common in Sao Paulo too, especially among residents of blue-collar districts.

Mr Enternational
03-10-12, 04:12
You could approach like a Brasilian guy, just put your hand around her waist, and say Gostoossaaa (Gostosa).RS. And get slapped? No thanks.

Mr Enternational
03-10-12, 04:21

Ta ligado? Which means are you in or are you connected?Literally it means are you connected, but the true meaning is do you hear me or are you listening. Say if you are talking to a friend and they appear to be daydreaming and not listening to you then you bust out,"ta ligado?"

Samburo
03-25-12, 18:46
I heard a girl saying to another girl: I like "sua boba".

Sperto
03-26-12, 07:04
I heard a girl saying to another girl: I like "sua boba".Bobo/boba is fool or silly.
Maybe she said "Eu gosto de voce, sua boba."

Kyrawz
03-26-12, 19:07
Google translate me "preliminaries" in "preliminares"

It's the right translation?

I would say the word for kiss, touch, and other many things before sex.

Samburo
03-27-12, 04:01
My dictionary did not found Marrenta.

What does that mean?

Mr Enternational
03-27-12, 05:41

I would say the word for kiss, touch, and other many things before sex.You are making it too complicated. Keep It Simple. All Brasileiras like to kiss; actually in most cases too damn much for me. If you want kiss say beijo. If you want suck say chupa. Trying to group things in another language as you do in your native language you will many times run into problems.

Sperto
03-27-12, 08:50
My dictionary did not found Marrenta.

What does that mean?Stubborn.

It's rarely used.

Samburo
03-27-12, 14:00
Stubborn.

It's rarely used.Thank You for Your help.

Exec Talent
03-27-12, 18:37
http://streetsmartbrazil.com/

There also are a number of YouTube videos which might prove helpful.

SkinnyBop
03-28-12, 06:33

I would say the word for kiss, touch, and other many things before sex.Preliminares = foreplay.

I heard a girl saying to another girl: I like "sua boba".As Sperto mentioned it works both ways as fool / silly. A non-pro girl may complain at you about your "mão boba" (silly hand). It means your hands are touching more places than they should've.

Samburo
05-08-12, 02:55
I did not understand the following 2 sentence:

Voce e foda sumiu legal

And

E foda ficar longe de quem agente gosta.

Sperto
05-08-12, 05:21

Voce e foda sumiu legal

And

The meaning of the second one is that's fucked up to be far away from somebody you like.

The first one is a bit strange. You're a fucker.. disappeared...
Sounds like somebody is writing in chat-style.

Albert Punter
05-08-12, 05:29
First sentence should be.
Você é foda, sumiu legal = You are bad, you disappeared in a cool way.

Second should be.
È foda ficar longe de quem a gente gosta = It is bad to stay away from whom you like.

Voce e foda sumiu legal

And.

SkinnyBop
05-08-12, 16:47

Você é foda, sumiu legal = You are bad, you disappeared in a cool way.Foda may be used as superlative, adjective, verb and noun. The second sentence has been translated into english the way it should've been. The first sentence may be better translated as:

Você é foda. You're bad / you're a douche / you aren't cool / you're a fucker.

Sumiu legal. Disappeared without reasons / haven't seen you in long time/

"Legal" in this sentence doesn't mean anything important. Nonfunctional.

Ricker
05-08-12, 16:58

Você é foda, sumiu legal = You are bad, you disappeared in a cool way.Probably meant more like; You disappeared, cool. (not in a cool sense, but pissed off)

Kaoru
05-31-12, 18:27
If somebody answer:

Dale.

Ahan

For what is that a short cut and what does that mean.

In other case a girl was named:

Periguete.

Thuthuca.

Sui Generis
05-31-12, 21:59
These are gíria words.

We use « periguete » to designate a woman who dresses in a flashy way or like to wear sexy outfits (like mini skirts and hig heels). It may also mean that a certain woman (or a younger girl) is without a definite lover but is openly friendly with every men she meet.

Tchutchuca: is a very sexy and young woman.

Sui Generis
05-31-12, 22:11
I'm not sure about these words.

Dale= it could mean « isso aí » but I'm not 100% certain.

Ahan? Isn't not rather Aham. In that case it likes Humhum, in English. You use that interjection to confirm an affirmation, to add force to it. So, in a nutshell, it means YES!

SkinnyBop
05-31-12, 22:47
It isn't dale but for some reason am not allowed to spell it out correctly. It is written altogether = Quite common football / sports chants. It could be translate as GO.

D.

A.

-

L.

H.

E.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=da-lhe&oq=da-lhe&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_l=youtube.3.0l10.816.1426.0.2460.4.3.0.1.1.1.226.445.1j0j2.3.0.0.0.YpvRqWD4884

Periguete = Sui Generis explanation is 100% right because its meaning changes around the country. In Sao Paulo also means puta (either pro or non-pro).

Kaoru
06-01-12, 04:04
The whole sentence I found in Internet was:

Saudades amiga se conecta p falar sim. Daleee!

Sperto
06-01-12, 05:57
Daleee!
Dale: vamos lá, isso aí

SkinnyBop
06-01-12, 06:06
The whole sentence I found in Internet was:

Saudades amiga se conecta p falar sim. Daleee!Brazilians are famous for suck at their own mother tongue especially youngsters who would come last at any spelling bee contest. This person is cutting off "L" in this sentence but the right spell should be D A hyphen L (H) E. Try to think it as a common mistake made by english native speakes e. g. You're & your. And of course, this sentence sounds like written by a 13 year old child but given the terrible brazilian educational system (private and public) it could've been written by an adult.

This sentence translates into english as:

Miss you (female) friend, log on so we may chat.

Daleee! It could be anything tbh. Keep safe, keep in touch, bye or whatever you mind thinks as a better choice.

Kaoru
06-01-12, 07:29
Brazilians are famous for suck at their own mother tongue especially youngsters who would come last at any spelling bee contest. This person is cutting off "L" in this sentence but the right spell should be D A hyphen L (H) E. Try to think it as a common mistake made by english native speakes e. G. You're & your. And of course, this sentence sounds like written by a 13 year old child but given the terrible brazilian educational system (private and public) it could've been written by an adult.

This sentence translates into english as:

Miss you (female) friend, log on so we may chat.

Daleee! It could be anything tbh. Keep safe, keep in touch, bye or whatever you mind thinks as a better choice."It was from a girl. Maybe 25 old. Thank You"

Kaoru
06-01-12, 20:40
Can somebody explain me these short cuts?

Tu tme ido malahr

How is the correct portugeese sentence.

I am interesting on that, because I try to learn brasilian portugees.

Sui Generis
06-02-12, 03:25
Can somebody explain me these short cuts?

Tu tme ido malahr

How is the correct portugeese sentence.

I am interesting on that, because I try to learn brasilian portugees.Kaoru, there is a better way to learn the Brazilian language than chatting on the Net (because I surmise that it is there that you picked up that silly sentence. Try to read a newspaper or a contemporary Brazilian novel. Luiz Alfredo Garcia-Roza would be a good choice (detective novel that are easy to read)

According to me it is not malahr but MALHAR: to train in a gym (or at home) in order to have a toned body, to do musculation, to do physical exercices. A lot of garotas de programa do this.

Kaoru
06-02-12, 06:50
Kaoru, there is a better way to learn the Brazilian language than chatting on the Net (because I surmise that it is there that you picked up that silly sentence. Try to read a newspaper or a contemporary Brazilian novel. Luiz Alfredo Garcia-Roza would be a good choice (detective novel that are easy to read)

According to me it is not malahr but MALHAR: to train in a gym (or at home) in order to have a toned body, to do musculation, to do physical exercices. A lot of garotas de programa do this."in Europe You can buy only the english books from Luiz Alfredo Garcia-RozaAlone.

I found : in the Crowd (Inspector Espinosa Mysteries) or Blackout.

In 3 weeks I come to Brazil for visiting the paritins festival.

I will try to buy these books in Rio or Manaus. Thanks"

Sui Generis
06-03-12, 14:39
"I will try to buy these books in Rio or Manaus. Thanks"Talking of Manaus, the Amazon and the State of Pará, there's an author typical of this region that is worth reading. Buy a book written by Miilton Hatoum (either one of his novels or his short stories).

For an urban setting (in Rio de Janeiro) Garcia-Rosa will be good.

For an urban setting (in São Paulo) Patricia Melo, O Matador, would be nice. Ican also suggest books by Tony Bellotto and Rubem Fonseca.

For a Nordeste / Amazonian setting read Hatoum.

Brazil Specialist
06-29-12, 12:30
I have Pimsleur English for Portuguese speakers, but not the written part. Who has it?

Who can help me find other courses, provide links or help me to get a copy?

Thanks

Poucolouco
06-29-12, 16:09
I have Pimsleur English for Portuguese speakers, but not the written part. Who has it?

Who can help me find other courses, provide links or help me to get a copy?

ThanksPm your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

Stan Da Man
06-30-12, 02:22
I may try Pimsleur as a supplement. I'll try anything. The one thing I cannot understand is that Pimsleur is only phonetic. How can you learn to read or write? I am almost finished with RosettaStone. I am on my last unit of the 3rd CD and I am far from fluent. I have to say that I think that I am most impressed with my new found ability to read Portuguese. How can you do this with Pimsleur Especially when so many pronouns appear to be left out of or skipped over in spoken sentences? I want to be able to read or write as well as be able to speak and understand. I think reading is critical.I've been trying to learn the language for about two years. The only sure-fire way to do this is immersion. Move there and speak / write on a daily basis. But that's not an option for everyone and it definitely is not an option for me. I hope you don't mind, but I'll offer a few practical suggestions on how you can try to get closer to immersion when you're not living there.

Skype Lessons: Many Portuguese teachers offer one on one lessons via Skype. This would be the most expensive option, but it's not too bad. If you can afford it, this is definitely the best way, in my opinion. Of course, if you had a patient and intelligent chica with whom you regularly communicated via Skype, it would be even better, and potentially free. If not, just google Skype Portuguese and see what turns up. I've gone through all the Pimsleur lessons and agree with earlier comments that they are good but can only take you so far.

Flashcards: Great for building vocabulary and learning how to spell. If you have an iPad, download the free Flashcards app. Then, go to Quizlet,

www.quizlet.com.

There are tons of free word lists there, organized around category (food, weather, travel, numbers, etc.). This is very useful, in my opinion.

Movies: Amazon has about 30-40 Portuguese language movies you can rent. Most come with subtitles. Some do not. If you are looking to simulate immersion, watching Portuguese movies on a regular basis can help.

Music: Find a style of Portuguese music you like, such as Bossa Nova or Baile Funk, and download songs from iTunes. Again, I find this a good way to force yourself to be exposed to the language. If you don't want to pay for a bunch of songs, but you have an internet connection, just find a few Portuguese songs you like and plug them into Pandora. As Pandora offers new songs for you to rate, just reject anything that isn't Portuguese language. Eventually, Pandora will only offer you Portuguese music. Totally free way to increase your exposure.

Books: Surprisingly, I've found these hard to come by in the United States. I've tried to find audio books, but Audible. Com doesn't sell any in Portuguese. Amazon sells several from Portuguese authors, but most are translated into English and they don't offer the Portuguese version on Amazon. I would think Amazon would have a Brazilian website, given that they stole the name from Brazil, but it appears they do not. I've tried to buy e-books via iTunes, but you can't get Portuguese language books on the USA version of iTunes. You can get them on the Brazil version of iTunes, but you need a Brazilian address credit card to make a purchase. There are a number of free Portuguese e-books available from Project Gutenberg that you can download to an iPad or similar tablet, but the selection is quite limited. If anyone knows a good source for books, e-books or especially audiobooks, I would love to hear it.

Google Chrome: Another great tool is Google Chrome. If you use this as your web browser, you can install an extension called "Language Immersion for Chrome." Once U-turn it on, it will translate some words and phrases from the internet sites you visit into Portuguese. You can set the difficulty level yourself. It's a great way to read the news and see small, digestible chunks of Portuguese in context. If you don't understand the Portuguese, just click on the word and it instantly translates back to English. I think this only works with a Chrome browser, but it is quite effective at building vocabulary and learning to read. One drawback, however: It uses Google Translate, so it is far from a perfect translator.

Chats: Does anyone know any Skype or something similar to group chat rooms where one can practice Portuguese? I haven't really looked for these and, frankly, don't know where to start.

I'm struggling at picking up a new language at my age, but I'm just hoping the above might help someone else. I've made a lot of progress, but these are all just substitutes. I don't think it's possible to become fluent absent going to Brazil and spending time with native speakers.

Exec Talent
06-30-12, 08:59
Can't believe that you publicly suggest that someone violate copyright laws or that someone would be unethical enough to actually send the materials to you. It is commonly called – stealing.

Sui Generis
06-30-12, 11:06
Books: Surprisingly, I've found these hard to come by in the United States. I've tried to find audio books, but Audible. Com doesn't sell any in Portuguese. Amazon sells several from Portuguese authors, but most are translated into English and they don't offer the Portuguese version on Amazon. I would think Amazon would have a Brazilian website, given that they stole the name from Brazil, but it appears they do not. I've tried to buy e-books via iTunes, but you can't get Portuguese language books on the USA version of iTunes. You can get them on the Brazil version of iTunes, but you need a Brazilian address credit card to make a purchase. There are a number of free Portuguese e-books available from Project Gutenberg that you can download to an iPad or similar tablet, but the selection is quite limited. If anyone knows a good source for books, e-books or especially audiobooks, I would love to hear it.It is quite easy to buy books from Brazil.

There are several sites available where you can buy books

1) Submarino.

2) Saraiva.

3) Livraria nacional (which is my favorite because they have a large selection. It is easy to pay with your national credit card)

If you are looking for books that may be out of print, the best tool is Estante virtual which lists all the books in second hand bookstores all around Brazil (PayPal service)

Lonzof
06-30-12, 11:10
I've been trying to learn the language for about two years. The only sure-fire way to do this is immersion. Move there and speak / write on a daily basis. But that's not an option for everyone and it definitely is not an option for me. I hope you don't mind, but I'll offer a few practical suggestions on how you can try to get closer to immersion when you're not living there.

Skype Lessons: Many Portuguese teachers offer one on one lessons via Skype. This would be the most expensive option, but it's not too bad. If you can afford it, this is definitely the best way, in my opinion. Of course, if you had a patient and intelligent chica with whom you regularly communicated via Skype, it would be even better, and potentially free. If not, just google Skype Portuguese and see what turns up. I've gone through all the Pimsleur lessons and agree with earlier comments that they are good but can only take you so far.

Flashcards: Great for building vocabulary and learning how to spell. If you have an iPad, download the free Flashcards app. Then, go to Quizlet,

www.quizlet.com.

There are tons of free word lists there, organized around category (food, weather, travel, numbers, etc.). This is very useful, in my opinion.

Movies: Amazon has about 30-40 Portuguese language movies you can rent. Most come with subtitles. Some do not. If you are looking to simulate immersion, watching Portuguese movies on a regular basis can help.

Music: Find a style of Portuguese music you like, such as Bossa Nova or Baile Funk, and download songs from iTunes. Again, I find this a good way to force yourself to be exposed to the language. If you don't want to pay for a bunch of songs, but you have an internet connection, just find a few Portuguese songs you like and plug them into Pandora. As Pandora offers new songs for you to rate, just reject anything that isn't Portuguese language. Eventually, Pandora will only offer you Portuguese music. Totally free way to increase your exposure.

Books: Surprisingly, I've found these hard to come by in the United States. I've tried to find audio books, but Audible. Com doesn't sell any in Portuguese. Amazon sells several from Portuguese authors, but most are translated into English and they don't offer the Portuguese version on Amazon. I would think Amazon would have a Brazilian website, given that they stole the name from Brazil, but it appears they do not. I've tried to buy e-books via iTunes, but you can't get Portuguese language books on the USA version of iTunes. You can get them on the Brazil version of iTunes, but you need a Brazilian address credit card to make a purchase. There are a number of free Portuguese e-books available from Project Gutenberg that you can download to an iPad or similar tablet, but the selection is quite limited. If anyone knows a good source for books, e-books or especially audiobooks, I would love to hear it.

Google Chrome: Another great tool is Google Chrome. If you use this as your web browser, you can install an extension called "Language Immersion for Chrome." Once U-turn it on, it will translate some words and phrases from the internet sites you visit into Portuguese. You can set the difficulty level yourself. It's a great way to read the news and see small, digestible chunks of Portuguese in context. If you don't understand the Portuguese, just click on the word and it instantly translates back to English. I think this only works with a Chrome browser, but it is quite effective at building vocabulary and learning to read. One drawback, however: It uses Google Translate, so it is far from a perfect translator.

Chats: Does anyone know any Skype or something similar to group chat rooms where one can practice Portuguese? I haven't really looked for these and, frankly, don't know where to start.

I'm struggling at picking up a new language at my age, but I'm just hoping the above might help someone else. I've made a lot of progress, but these are all just substitutes. I don't think it's possible to become fluent absent going to Brazil and spending time with native speakers.Stan,

Every option listed above will eventually allow you to write, speak, and understand portuguese. I first started with pims then moved to R. Stone. I chatted frequently frequently with normal brasileiras but that did not work. I opted for a tutor via skype and this was the tipping point for me. I have been using her for a year and a half meeting twice a week. She helps me speak correct intelligent portuguese. If you really want to learn the language then a couple hundred dollars means nothing. My sessions cost $35 each. To me it is money well spent. I also like quizlet.com.

Lonzof

Pilfers22
09-14-12, 14:45
Another great tool for learning to HEAR the language better is TuneIn Radio. You can stream stations from around the world, and there is an iphone app for it where you can even pause and rewind. I started to listen to music stations a bit, but I've found its better practice listening to Portuguese with talk radio: http://tunein.com/radio/Brazilian-Talk-g335/.

Does anyone have any recommendations for great music OR talk radio stations in Brazil? This site has so many stations, that I'm a bit overwhelmed, so I'd appreciate any recommendations!

Prosal
09-14-12, 15:24
Does anyone have any recommendations for great music OR talk radio stations in Brazil? This site has so many stations, that I'm a bit overwhelmed, so I'd appreciate any recommendations!Depends on your musical tastes. I like Nova Brasil FM (Sao Paulo) , it's my all-time favorite brasilian radio. Only good and progressive MPB, and also some brasilian rock. No axe or pagode shit.

http://www.novabrasilfm.com.br/ao-vivo/audio.php

Prosal
09-14-12, 15:27
Thanks the Iphone app (tunein) by the way. Very cool. I now can listen at Nashe Radio (Russian rock-folk) , my favorite radio ever.

Pilfers22
09-17-12, 16:33
Thanks the Iphone app (tunein) by the way. Very cool. I now can listen at Nashe Radio (Russian rock-folk) , my favorite radio ever.You're very welcome! Thanks for the tip on a good radio station! I will check that out.

Prosal
09-17-12, 19:12
You're very welcome! Thanks for the tip on a good radio station! I will check that out.Well, Radio Nova SP solely plays modern MPB (music is 100% brasilian) , and the target audience is the "culturally developed people" group. You won't hear axe shit, silly bahiana music or favelado's funk there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hniry88ZlJY

Samburo
12-30-12, 01:24
Can somebody explain these question:

Entao dou o Peru mesmo?

Sui Generis
01-02-13, 15:12

Entao dou o Peru mesmo?Literally: So did you gave your dick? I. E. So, did you scored?

Samburo
01-03-13, 13:29
Literally: So did you gave your dick? I. E. So, did you scored?Thank You. I have only one question more: I thought "dou" is a declination from dar and means "I give".

Albert Punter
01-13-13, 18:31
Never heard "Peru" used like this.
In addition,"dou" is present, first person.
Quite strange sentence.
Maybe ABG can enlighten us.

Entao dou o Peru mesmo?

Sui Generis
01-13-13, 20:43

Quite strange sentence.

Maybe ABG can enlighten us.Peru (pica, pinto) is a word to designate a penis.

Órgão sexual masculino.

-Meu Peru mole tem 15 cm.

To make sense the phrase should be formulated like this: Te dou o meu Peru.

But, honestly, who speaks like that. If you repeat this people will think you are a moron or a douchebag.

AltoBomGosto
01-14-13, 00:51
Peru (pica, pinto) is a word to designate a penis.

Órgão sexual masculino.

-Meu Peru mole tem 15 cm.

To make sense the phrase should be formulated like this: Te dou o meu Peru.

But, honestly, who speaks like that. If you repeat this people will think you are a moron or a douchebag.SG you're absolutly right!

AltoBomGosto
01-14-13, 08:42

Quite strange sentence.

Maybe ABG can enlighten us.

In São Paulo normally I would use " Dou minha pica para você " (I give my penis to you)

AltoBomGosto
01-14-13, 08:48
Good list Junior, however. 2 questions for you:

1) on your first post, isn't amiga used to describe a friend and not a girlfriend? Isn't girfriend in Brasil, uma namorada? Just curious as I didn't know that the word amiga could also be used to describe a girlfriend.

2) lick pussy could be translated into lambar a buceta / bucetinha.

Jacaré.

<<<

1: Namorada is a girlfriend. I was thinking more along of the line does she have a friend we could use for a threesome.

2: Buceta is also slang for pussy. I do not know the word lambar.Buceta is a very bad word for pussy. I'll never used it unless I want to insult a girl.

You better use xoxota.

Lamber means to lick. So say; eu quero lamber sua xoxota!

Jan 156
01-14-13, 17:07
In São Paulo normally I would use " Dou minha pica para você " (I give my penis to you)I've not come across this one before. Is it particularly Sampa slang? Does it have a different tone to just pinto (or pintão when I'm at it) as this is what I'd normally use. There's so many words for these things and essential to know what context to use them. And while even 'bunda' is ok in a brothel, I'd use something more delicate until I got a girl warmed up on a dating situation (and then there's so many choices!) I'm not at all fluent in Porto, but find it helpful to switch back and forth quite often.

Jan 156
01-14-13, 17:22
Some words just have a nice sound to them. Chupa minha pica rolls off the tongue nicely (no pun intended). But if I chat up a girl in a bar and later got hot between the sheets with her, I want to use words that turn her on rather than making her wonder if I picked them up on porn movies and macho talk with the lads!

Mr Enternational
01-14-13, 18:23
Buceta is a very bad word for pussy. I'll never used it unless I want to insult a girl.No chick I know has ever had a problem with me saying it to her. But here in Colombia it means a little bus!

Mr Enternational
01-14-13, 18:24
Some words just have a nice sound to them. Chupa minha pica rolls off the tongue nicely (no pun intended).Or instead of pica, rollo.
But if I chat up a girl in a bar and later got hot between the sheets with her, I want to use words that turn her on rather than making her wonder if I picked them up on porn movies and macho talk with the lads!Me, on the other hand, I would want her to THINK she was in a porn movie!

AltoBomGosto
01-14-13, 22:26
Or instead of pica, rollo.Me, on the other hand, I would want her to THINK she was in a porn movie!Only one little correction: in Brazil porto the word is rola and not rollo.

Mr Enternational
01-14-13, 22:55
Only one little correction: in Brazil porto the word is rola and not rollo.Thanks bro. With 6 languages in my head I get screwed up quite a bit.

Eric Cartman
01-15-13, 01:15
Buceta is a very bad word for pussy. I'll never used it unless I want to insult a girl.Here in Rio "buceta" seems to be used interchangeably for "pussy". It doesn't seem particularly "bad." Is that sense a SP thing? I've never heard a single (working) girl here say "xoxota".

Jan 156
01-15-13, 02:12
Cheers guys!

Sui Generis
01-15-13, 04:53
I use either buceta or xana. Sometimes piriquita. When I'm drunk. It's funny because the word "xoxota" sound a little bit like "chochotte" which (in Haitian creole) is a pussy.

AltoBomGosto
01-15-13, 13:07
I use either buceta or xana. Sometimes piriquita. When I'm drunk. It's funny because the word "xoxota" sound a little bit like "chochotte" which (in Haitian creole) is a pussy.SG in Bahia and northeast states you can also say " xoxota " or " xibiu "!

Bravo
02-26-13, 07:47
What the difference between

1)"Tenho saudade" vs "Sente sua falta"? When / why would you use one over the other?

2) the difference between Buscar and Procurar?

Mr Enternational
02-26-13, 08:26

1)"Tenho saudade" vs "Sente sua falta"? When / why would you use one over the other?

2) the difference between Buscar and Procurar?1) Nothing. Both mean I miss you. 2) I next to never see buscar being used in Port so I save that one for Spanish and only use procurar to mean to look for / to search.

Exec Talent
02-26-13, 17:44
1) Nothing. Both mean I miss you. 2) I next to never see buscar being used in Port so I save that one for Spanish and only use procurar to mean to look for / to search.Saudade means I miss you like a redneck misses his dog that just fell off the back of his truck. It is as if the girl's heart has been ripped out. Guess no Brazilian girls miss you because that is what they would say or write.

Also, you probably have never bought anything online in Brazil because the big button for search on Buscape says Buscar.

Ricker
02-26-13, 18:54

2) the difference between Buscar and Procurar?2)

I've been taught and have used 'buscar' in portuguese to say: to fetch, or to pick someone / something up, to go and get.

Similar to 'recoger' in spanish.

Bravo
02-26-13, 21:50
Saudade means I miss you like a redneck misses his dog that just fell off the back of his truck. It is as if the girl's heart has been ripped out. Guess no Brazilian girls miss you because that is what they would say or write.

Also, you probably have never bought anything online in Brazil because the big button for search on Buscape says Buscar.Does "senti sua falta" mean, they just miss having you around?

Bravo
02-27-13, 02:30
I talked to 3 different girls and I finally understand the difference between the two.

"Tenho Saudade" is a vague form of "I miss something" You can miss a person, place, or thing. For instance you can say "You miss the old days when Help was packed with hot girls every night"

Senti sua falta. Is for a person. It means you miss someone that you have a personal relationship with. Girlfriend, parents, children, best friend, etc.

Hola Mundo
02-27-13, 04:14
Here is a great Suadade explanation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudade

I talked to 3 different girls and I finally understand the difference between the two.

"Tenho Saudade" is a vague form of "I miss something" You can miss a person, place, or thing. For instance you can say "You miss the old days when Help was packed with hot girls every night"

Senti sua falta. Is for a person. It means you miss someone that you have a personal relationship with. Girlfriend, parents, children, best friend, etc.

Tiradentes
02-27-13, 04:35

the difference between Buscar and Procurar?

Buscar has at least 2 meanings that I know of.

1. Search for.

2. Give somebody a ride. E. G. : " Paolo, vem me buscar de aeroporto por favor" I. E- Paulo, please come pick me up from the airport.

Poucolouco
02-27-13, 17:11

Buscar and Procurar?You can also use pesquisar. They all mean "to search."

Eric Cartman
02-28-13, 02:44
Does "senti sua falta" mean, they just miss having you around?"I feel your absence", basically.

Eric Cartman
02-28-13, 02:47
You can also use pesquisar. They all mean "to search."Day to day, procurar is used more when you are "looking for" someone / something specific."Estou procurando o Rodrigo, alguem sabe onde ele esta?"

Pesquisar is used more for re / search in the research/"search on the internet" kind of way. "Tem que pesquisar no Google"

Buscar is a more casual "search."

At least that's how I see it used day to day.

Eric Cartman
03-02-13, 16:30
Day to day, procurar is used more when you are "looking for" someone / something specific."Estou procurando o Rodrigo, alguem sabe onde ele esta?"

Pesquisar is used more for re / search in the research/"search on the internet" kind of way."Tem que pesquisar no Google"

Buscar is a more casual "search."

At least that's how I see it used day to day.Actually Buscar is used for "seek". That's the best analog."I come seeking wisdom". Eu venho buscando sabedoria. In addition to the give-me-a-lift sense mention below.

AltoBomGosto
03-02-13, 16:33
Good list Junior, however. 2 questions for you:

1) on your first post, isn't amiga used to describe a friend and not a girlfriend? Isn't girfriend in Brasil, uma namorada? Just curious as I didn't know that the word amiga could also be used to describe a girlfriend.

2) lick pussy could be translated into lambar a buceta / bucetinha.

Jacaré.Amiga is a friend; lamber a buceta / bucetinha is he correct spelling!

Sui Generis
04-19-13, 01:16
I need the help of fellow ISG members that are fluent in Portuguese.

I am currently translating a Guilherme de Almeida's text that was written in 1928 in a magazine that was called O Cruzeiro.

I have problem with the following word: fura-céos.

The whole phrase is the following one: " Mas. Ah!. O ponto de vista desses Jeremias daltonicos do Parnaso é baixo demais para estas colinas historicas espetadas de fura-céos."

I know that céo is the ancient way to spell: céu. Am I right if I surmise that "fura-céos" is the same thing as "aranha-céus".

Thanks for your help.

Sperto
04-19-13, 05:56
I need the help of fellow ISG members that are fluent in Portuguese.
I am currently translating a Guilherme de Almeida's text that was written in 1928 in a magazine that was called O Cruzeiro.
I have problem with the following word: fura-céos.
The whole phrase is the following one: " Mas. Ah!. O ponto de vista desses Jeremias daltonicos do Parnaso é baixo demais para estas colinas historicas espetadas de fura-céos."
I know that céo is the ancient way to spell: céu. Am I right if I surmise that "fura-céos" is the same thing as "aranha-céus".
Thanks for your help.
Just a (stupid) guess. Maybe fura-céos was an ancient way of saying furacões, hurricanes?

Albert Punter
04-22-13, 01:38
i need the help of fellow isg members that are fluent in portuguese.

i am currently translating a guilherme de almeida's text that was written in 1928 in a magazine that was called o cruzeiro.

i have problem with the following word: fura-seeéos.

the whole phrase is the following one: " mas. ah. o ponto de vista desses jeremias daltonicos do parnaso é baixo demais para estas colinas historicas espetadas de fura-seeéos."

i know that seeéo is the ancient way to spell: seeéyou. am i right if i surmise that "fura-seeéos" is the same thing as "aranha-seeéus".

thanks for your help.my guess is skyscrapers

Sui Generis
04-22-13, 03:04
my guess is skyscrapersthanks guys for your answers.

albert, you're right. i asked the question directly to the curator of the casa guilherme de almeida. he replied that fura-céos is an obsolete form of « aranha-seeéus » (skyscrapers).

i'm supposed to meet him in a couple of days at the casa guilherme de almeida. i have already a lot of activities planned for this trip in são paulo. i'm especially thrilled to meet a good friend of mine because he and his wife will be grandparents for the first time in may.

as usual the principal activity of my trip is cultural. in the meanwhile, i still have some time left for hobbying in the evening.

Eric Cartman
04-22-13, 05:23
albert, you're right. i asked the question directly to the curator of the casa guilherme de almeida. he replied that fura-céos is an obsolete form of « aranha-seeéus » (skyscrapers).is it really "aranha-ceus". aranha = spider. i've seen it as arranha-ceus, which is loosely "scraper skies" (or really, scratcher-skies because arrahnar = to scratch, not like in to scratch an itch but to leave a scratch / scrape).

Sui Generis
04-22-13, 09:44
is it really "aranha-ceus". aranha = spider. i've seen it as arranha-ceus, which is loosely "scraper skies" (or really, scratcher-skies because arrahnar = to scratch, not like in to scratch an itch but to leave a scratch / scrape).

you're right eric,

here's the exact answer form the curator: "quanto à expressão (hoje them desuso)"fura-céu", sim, é o mesmo que "arranha-céu".

Sui Generis
04-22-13, 09:48
I have problems spelling in the right way Portuguese words because there's an automatic speller changing the form of words.

When I write « céu» it gives me seéyou

Sperto
04-22-13, 15:28
I have problems spelling in the right way Portuguese words because there's an automatic speller changing the form of words.
When I write « seeéyou» it gives me seéyouThere is a solution.
1. Write your post and copy everything.
2. Upload report.
3. Edit report and paste. What you paste will not be corrected by the automatic speller.
4. Save changes.

Sui Generis
04-22-13, 21:51
There is a solution.

1. Write your post and copy everything.

2. Upload report.

3. Edit report and paste. What you paste will not be corrected by the automatic speller.

4. Save changes.Thanks for the advice, Sperto.

I'll do it. Hopefully, it will also help me to write better posts in English.

Pilfers22
05-30-13, 14:07
another great tool for learning to hear the language better is tunein radio. you can stream stations from around the world, and there is an iphone app for it where you can even pause and rewind. i started to listen to music stations a bit, but i've found its better practice listening to portuguese with talk radio:

http://tunein.com/radio/brazilian-talk-g335/.after trying a lot of different stations to help my portuguese, i've found the best, by far, is radio cbn sao paulo. its talk radio with a lot of news, traffic, weather, interviews, sports, etc and has very few commercials. its a great way to learn a lot of new vocabulary and keep tabs on whats going on in sao paulo. if you're beginner or intermediate level portuguese speaker with limited vocabulary, i would highly recommend listening to fabiola cedral's show every weekday morning. she seems to speak a bit slower and anunciates each word very well, so its very easy to hear as you start listening and need to get accustomed to the speed at which they are talking. cbn now has their own iphone app, so you can listen directly through that to cbn stations in many brazilian cities and not have to use tunein radio.

AltoBomGosto
01-11-14, 07:13
just a (stupid) guess. maybe fura-céos was an ancient way of saying furacões, hurricanes?fura seeéos, ancient word, now is "arranha ceus" = skyscraper, the correct word

Java Man
02-02-14, 22:06
Been reading posts at GPguia. Keep seeing the phrase "Frango Assado," (literally Baked Chicken,) "rabo," and "Braulio" By the way it was used, I assumed correctly Frango Assado was a sexual position. Internet search found The Alternative Portuguese Dictionary. No need to search as it only has one page of entries. Frango Assado per this dictionary "is a sexual position for gay anal sex. This position has the receiver on his back with legs in the air. A bicha gosta de dar o cu' de frango assado.=The f*g loves to give(make) his ass the baked chicken(to get fucked)." In the Kamasutra it's the Butterfly position.
"Dar o rabo" means get asshole fucked. "Braulio de borracha (noun) dildo note BROW-lyo dey bo-HA-sha. Literally rubber Braulio. Braulio is a common first name and also a guy's name for his dick (like my Peter or my Willy.)"

Found this there, "Queres que te chupe? (phrase,) sounds like "do you want ketchup" means Do you want to be sucked or blow job? Note a common joke in Brasil: Manoel asks Maria -Queres que te chupe? which also sounds like Do you want ketchup and she answers -Nao, mais tarde (no later) which sounds like No, mustard." :)

http://www.alternative-dictionaries.net/dictionary/Portuguese/

The Alternatives Dictionary states it has Slang, profanities, insults and vulgarisms from all the world. However, no entries for American English nor Brazilian Portuguese. Site hasn't been updated since 2008. http://www.alternative-dictionaries.net/

Eric Cartman
02-03-14, 03:05
Been reading posts at GPguia. Keep seeing the phrase "Frango Assado," (literally Baked Chicken,)"rabo," and "Braulio" By the way it was used, I assumed correctly Frango Assado was a sexual position. Internet search found The Alternative Portuguese Dictionary. No need to search as it only has one page of entries. Frango Assado per this dictionary "is a sexual position for gay anal sex. This position has the receiver on his back with legs in the air. A bicha gosta de dar o cu' de frango assado. =The f*g loves to give (make) his ass the baked chicken (to get fucked)." In the Kamasutra it's the Butterfly position.

"Dar o rabo" means get asshole fucked."Braulio de borracha (noun) dildo note BROW-lyo dey bo-HA-sha. Literally rubber Braulio. Braulio is a common first name and also a guy's name for his dick (like my Peter or my Willy.)"I know technically assado = baked but it also translates as Roasted, and that often makes more sense. Roasted chicken, roasted meat (carne assado).

Rabo = tail and is used for butthole. But it really does mean tail, which can lead to some nice double-entendres. Especially if a girl is dressed like a Playboy Bunny.

Braulio I have never heard in 3+ years. Learn something new every day. Just like bagulho for "thing" (or weed or an ugly chick) , or lance for "thing" or "parada" for thing. Fun times. Check out the Porta dos Fundos channel on YouTube and Parefernalha channel on YouTube to brush up on your slang.

AltoBomGosto
02-11-14, 09:36
I know technically assado = baked but it also translates as Roasted, and that often makes more sense. Roasted chicken, roasted meat (carne assado).

Rabo = tail and is used for butthole. But it really does mean tail, which can lead to some nice double-entendres. Especially if a girl is dressed like a Playboy Bunny.

Braulio I have never heard in 3+ years. Learn something new every day. Just like bagulho for "thing" (or weed or an ugly chick) , or lance for "thing" or "parada" for thing. Fun times. Check out the Porta dos Fundos channel on YouTube and Parefernalha channel on YouTube to brush up on your slang.Braulio was the slang invented by some advertising agency to give a name to the penis on ads. Regarding the use of condom.

It's still used.

Bravo
02-13-14, 04:00
I just learned this yesterday at a dinner party. I know they are both past tense forms of Morar (Lived) but they are slightly different.

Morei. Implies you lived somewhere a long time ago. Like 10 years ago for example.

Morava. Means you lived somewhere recently, within the past couple of years

Tiradentes
02-13-14, 04:52
Morei. Implies you lived somewhere a long time ago. Like 10 years ago for example.
Morava. Means you lived somewhere recently, within the past couple of years
As long you do not confuse it with 'morreu'

Sperto
02-13-14, 17:14
I just learned this yesterday at a dinner party. I know they are both past tense forms of Morar (Lived) but they are slightly different.

Morava. Means you lived somewhere recently, within the past couple of yearsMorei is Perfeito do Indicativo.
Morava is Imperfeito do Indicativo.

The explanation you got isn't really correct.

Bravo
02-13-14, 17:21
Morei is Perfeito do Indicativo.

Morava is Imperfeito do Indicativo.

The explanation you got isn't really correct.So. Whats the difference? Give me an example.

Java Man
02-13-14, 17:45
So. Whats the difference? Give me an example.Eu morei no Rio = I lived in Rio. Eu Morava no Rio = I was living in Rio, or I used to live in Rio or I was living in Rio and I lived in Rio (also.) I use Lingee dictionary to translate.

http://www.linguee.com/english-portuguese

Houston Player
02-13-14, 21:22
I think morei references a point in time and morava references a duration of time.

Eric Cartman
02-14-14, 01:02
Also Brazilian use the 2 past tenses to indicate different states of past time.

For example,"Ele se mudou para o Rio, e enquanto ele morava la." (he moved to Rio, and while he was living there.)

You hear it a lot when people talk. I can't tell you the absolute grammar (like Sperto) but it's really common. The imperfect tense is used to indicate a "more recent" past.

Be careful though with the verb ***'s imperct past -- for example, tinha ... Eu pretendi te ligar = I intended, wheras Eu tinha pretendido te ligar = I had intended (implied: but didn't) ....

Java Man
03-09-14, 22:16
Someone asked, What is the difference between these two massages? Relaxante ou tailandesa, (original posted deleted as I provided an answered.) How fortuitous! Yesterday I found this description on a Rio escort ad: massagem sensual: tailandesa (corpo a corpo) , Thai massage, body to body; espanhola (seios) , Spanish massage, penis between breast, (thought this phrase was only used by the Aussies.) tântrica lingam (massagem no pênis) , Tantra Lingam massage of penis; and massagem tântrica p-spot (massagem na próstata) , Tantra prostate massage. Relaxante is just your run of the mill relaxing massage.

http://www.moranguinhosrj.com.br/larissabarra

I like how Larissa states her pics are not Photoshopped, yet her tat at the right side of her waist is only slightly visible in one pic. LOL

AltoBomGosto
03-10-14, 02:14
On our Brasilian boards we use the expression TD as a test drive, normally a short season to see if the GDP is worth to proceed for a TLN or not.

Jackson, please be so kind and add the expression to the abreviations of the board.

Thanks,

ABG

Bravo
06-13-14, 07:29
I was talking to a GDP on Skype yesterday and she was complaining that she could never trust American men because they were all liars. "They will tell you they love you and want to have a girlfriend, yet they all run off to termas and blacony as soon as you turn your back on them. ".

I wanted to tell her You girls are just as sneaky as the men because you will tell the guys you are going to the salon to get your hair and nails done. Unfortunately, most guys are too stupid to know that it doesn't take 8 hours to do all of that, and that most likely their girl is in another guys apartment getting dicked down.

So what is the translation / slang for sneaky or underhanded?

AltoBomGosto
06-13-14, 12:04
I was talking to a GDP on Skype yesterday and she was complaining that she could never trust American men because they were all liars. "They will tell you they love you and want to have a girlfriend, yet they all run off to termas and blacony as soon as you turn your back on them. ".

I wanted to tell her You girls are just as sneaky as the men because you will tell the guys you are going to the salon to get your hair and nails done. Unfortunately, most guys are too stupid to know that it doesn't take 8 hours to do all of that, and that most likely their girl is in another guys apartment getting dicked down.

So what is the translation / slang for sneaky or underhanded?"Cara de pau" would be the best translation.

"Ordinário" is the gramatical translation.

ABG

Bravo
06-13-14, 17:35
"Cara de pau" would be the best translation.

"Ordinrio" is the gramatical translation.

ABGThank you!

I knew the term "Cara de Pau" but I thought it meant something like "You know you did something wrong, but you have no shame about it".

Eric Cartman
06-14-14, 04:22
Thank you!

I knew the term "Cara de Pau" but I thought it meant something like "You know you did something wrong, but you have no shame about it".My understanding is you are kind of right. It's used for someone who has a poker face in the light of things that should shame or embarrass other peopel.

Java Man
06-14-14, 08:19
Michaelis dictionary: sneaky: Adj furtivo, secreto, sorrateiro.

Sorrateiro: adj 1 cunning, shrewd, astute. 2 tricky, crafty. 3 sneaky, stealthy. 4 underhand. Entrar sorrateiramente para roubar to go on the sneak.

Eric Cartman
06-15-14, 04:56
Michaelis dictionary: sneaky: Adj furtivo, secreto, sorrateiro.

Sorrateiro: adj 1 cunning, shrewd, astute. 2 tricky, crafty. 3 sneaky, stealthy. 4 underhand. Entrar sorrateiramente para roubar to go on the sneak."To sneak / sneak in" is acutally "entrar de fininho" as far as I've seen / heard / learned it here.

I've never heard "sorrateiro" in 3. 5 years of living here. Have to check with my prof on that one.

AltoBomGosto
06-25-14, 00:13
"To sneak / sneak in" is acutally "entrar de fininho" as far as I've seen / heard / learned it here.

I've never heard "sorrateiro" in 3. 5 years of living here. Have to check with my prof on that one.Eric.

"entrar de finininho" is slang, the gramatical way of saying it is "entrar sorrateiramente".

ABG.

Eric Cartman
06-30-14, 02:01
Eric.

"entrar de finininho" is slang, the gramatical way of saying it is "entrar sorrateiramente".

ABG.ABG, you are correct (of course). I checked with my professor and this is the technically correct way to say "sneak in. ".

However for the sake of the n00 bs on the board, I would again restate what I said below -- I've never heard *anyone* use this in 3. 5 years of living here. I doubt that any GDP -- or let us say the average GDP -- is going to recognize this over "entrar de fininho. " Now don't get me wrong -- I'm not saying we all shouldn't strive to have people speak correctly, by ourselves learning and using the correct words and phrases. Hell, it's why I insist on conjugating "nos" instead of "a gente" . Using "a gente" is just lazy rsrsrsrsrs. However, in a world where GDPs have never flown on a plane before (this just happened to me!) or can't place Thailand or Poland on a map, it could be better to stick with the more recognizable phrase in the short term. Especially if you are in Brazil for a short time, and trying to have your GDP understand you ;)

-Cartman.

Ricker
06-30-14, 21:57
it's why I insist on conjugating "nos" instead of "a gente" . Using "a gente" is just lazy rsrsrsrsrs.

I like the use of "a gente" in Portuguese.

It's cool, not lazy IMO, I mean how hard is it to conjugate the "nos" verbs really.

:)

Jan 156
08-08-14, 15:58
It's cool
:)Especially with a carioca accent.

Lefeu
08-08-14, 22:36
Eu morei no Rio = I lived in Rio. Eu Morava no Rio = I was living in Rio, or I used to live in Rio or I was living in Rio and I lived in Rio (also.) I use Lingee dictionary to translate.

http://www.linguee.com/english-portugueseJM is correct. The same in Spanish grammar, the preterit form (eu morei no Rio) generally implies a one time deal. Another example, I saw him / her yesterday. Whereas the form (Eu morava no Rio) generally implies a continuous action, e. G. I used to live, or I lived for x years.

Azn Safado
08-09-14, 01:21

It's cool, not lazy IMO, I mean how hard is it to conjugate the "nos" verbs really.

:)I like using "a gente" too. However, I've found at times that using "a gente" does sound a bit weird when you are referring to yourselves in the plural. For example - "We are neighbors" translates to "A gente é vizinho". Using nós sounds better in this case since it's plural - "Nós somos vizinhos".

Ricker
08-09-14, 02:34
I like using "a gente" too. However, I've found at times that using "a gente" does sound a bit weird when you are referring to yourselves in the plural. For example - "We are neighbors" translates to "A gente vizinho". Using ns sounds better in this case since it's plural - "Ns somos vizinhos".I hear ya amigo, but it doesn't sound wierd to me.

Albert Punter
08-18-14, 17:26
I believe that "a gente" generally indicates a group of people, so it may replace nos.

I like using "a gente" too. However, I've found at times that using "a gente" does sound a bit weird when you are referring to yourselves in the plural. For example - "We are neighbors" translates to "A gente vizinho". Using ns sounds better in this case since it's plural - "Ns somos vizinhos".

Bravo
09-15-14, 16:51
Which phrase is correct and what is the meaning? I think it means something like "Talk to me with respect" or something like that but I am not sure.

Fala comingo directo.

Ou.

Fala directo conmigo.

Ricker
09-15-14, 17:55
Which phrase is correct and what is the meaning? I think it means something like "Talk to me with respect" or something like that but I am not sure.

Fala comingo directo.

Ou.

Fala directo conmigo.I would say, Fala direto comigo.

Directo is espańol.

Mr Enternational
09-15-14, 19:09

Fala comingo directo.

Ou.

Fala directo conmigo.Fala direto comigo = Speak right (straight) with me (literally), Speak clearly with me, Speak honestly with me. And as you hinted at, "Talk to me like you have some sense."

*coNmigo is Spanish as well.

AltoBomGosto
09-15-14, 21:15
I would say, Fala direto comigo.

Directo is espańol.Fale direto comigo is the right werb tense. Speak directly with me.