PDA

View Full Version : Portuguese Words and Phrases

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

Ricker
09-16-14, 04:19
Fale direto comigo is the right werb tense. Speak directly with me.The subjunctive command form bites me in the ass again LOL.

Thanks ABG!

Bravo
09-16-14, 16:31
Fale direto comigo is the right werb tense. Speak directly with me.Thanks for the help guys! She normally says this if I raise my voice or if we are in an argument! Sometimes its followed by "hein!

Example.

Fale directo comigo, hein!

FuckAfMedDig
09-16-14, 23:47
Thanks for the help guys! She normally says this if I raise my voice or if we are in an argument! Sometimes its followed by "hein!

Example.

Fale directo comigo, hein!Thats probably: Fale direito comigo, neh?

Ricker
09-17-14, 00:57
Thanks for the help guys! She normally says this if I raise my voice or if we are in an argument! Sometimes its followed by "hein!

Example.

Thats probably: Fale direito comigo, neh?Actually, I believe the first sentence, Fale directo comigo, hein!, is correct, though 'hein' is normally not written, only to explain what was said.

It's like saying ehh at the end of an english sentence.

'Neh' is used more for like, 'isn't that so'
Ex: Vc gosta dela, neh?
You like her, isn't that so?

Eric Cartman
09-17-14, 02:46
The subjunctive command form bites me in the ass again LOL.

Thanks ABG!Imperative.

Ricker
09-17-14, 02:50
The subjunctive command form bites me in the ass again LOL.

Imperative.

Yep, thanks EC, technically you're correct, but it's the same thing really, so I should get at least 50% credit, Lol

Wikipedia:

Imperative (Latin: imperativus): used for commands.
The imperative is a verb mood used to give a command, ... Latin imperative conjugations are generally the same as subjunctive conjugations.

Bravo
09-17-14, 06:53
Thats probably: Fale direito comigo, neh?Nope, its hein. I've heard it enough to be sure. LOL!

AltoBomGosto
09-17-14, 10:58
Bravo:

Example.

Fale direto is correct, directo is Spanish!

But in an argument it will be: " fale direito comigo, hein!" means talk in a polite (or educated) manner to me! Direito in this case means "straight. Never use directo, it is a spanish word.

ABG.

AltoBomGosto
09-17-14, 11:06
Nope, its hein. I've heard it enough to be sure. LOL!Bravo, you are right, "fale comigo hein!" is a low class people expression of anger that should never be used in a polite conversation. "Hein" and interjection of hate and has a much stronger mean than "andé ? " a contraction of " andão é ?

ABG.

Eric Cartman
09-21-14, 07:29
Yep, thanks EC, technically you're correct, but it's the same thing really, so I should get at least 50% credit, Lol

Wikipedia:

Imperative (Latin: imperativus): used for commands.
The imperative is a verb mood used to give a command, ... Latin imperative conjugations are generally the same as subjunctive conjugations.Subjunctive: E (h) possivel que voce tenha que abrir suas pernas.

Imperative: Voce tenha que abrir suas pernas!

Subjunctive -- conditional, doubt, etc. "Estou feliz que voce tenha abrido suas pernas. ".

Imperative -- command. "Abra sua boca, safadinha!

Ricker
09-21-14, 16:19
Subjunctive: E (h) possivel que voce tenha que abrir suas pernas.

Subjunctive -- conditional, doubt, etc. "Estou feliz que voce tenha abrido suas pernas. ".

Imperative -- command. "Abra sua boca, safadinha!Great lesson, put in context of this site!!

Obrigadao!!

Sui Generis
09-21-14, 22:04
Subjunctive: E (h) possivel que voce tenha que abrir suas pernas.

Imperative -- command. "Abra sua boca, safadinha!Imperative of abrir is abre: abre suas pernas.

And so on for the other tenses.

Eric Cartman
09-22-14, 02:18
Imperative of abrir is abre: abre suas pernas.

And so on for the other tenses.Pretty sure you're 100% wrong there. Talking in present tense isn't imperative. Eu abro. Voce abre. Nos abrimos. Voces abrem.

http://conjpt.cactus2000.de/showverb.en.php?verb=abrir

Imperative is a command, like "Pare de postar bobagem" ou "andão fale besteira. ".

But hey don't take my word for it, let ABG chime in.

Ricker
09-22-14, 03:11
Imperative of abrir is abre: abre suas pernas.

And so on for the other tenses.

Pretty sure you're 100% wrong there. Talking in present tense isn't imperative. Eu abro. Voce abre. Nos abrimos. Voces abrem.

http://conjpt.cactus2000.de/showverb.en.php?verb=abrir

Imperative is a command, like "Pare de postar bobagem" ou "ando fale besteira. ".

But hey don't take my word for it, let ABG chime in.I agree with EC here as well.

"Abra a porta!

"Abra suas pernas!

Sui Generis
09-22-14, 03:13
I agree with EC here as well.

"Abra a porta!

"Abra suas pernas!My mistake, it's « abra ». I apologize.

Exec Talent
09-22-14, 03:13
According to the book 501 Portuguese Verbs.

Sui Generis
09-22-14, 03:55
According to the book 501 Portuguese Verbs.I'm back home and I picked up my reference book.

Bescherelle. Les verbes portugais et bresiliens. Hatier. Paris. 1997.

There's is two type of imperative in Portuguese.

1) Imperativo afirmativo (affirmative imperative):

Tu ABRE.

Ele / ela abra.

Nos abramos.

Vos abri.

Eles / elas abram.

2) Imperativo negativo (negative imperative).

Tu nao abras.

Ele / ela nao abra.

nos nao abramos.

Vos nao abrais.

Eles / elas nao abram.

Well, all things considered I guess that finally I was right when I wrote in my first post that the correct form is ABRE (because when I talk to a GDP I always use tu and not voce) .

On the other hand if you adress or talk to a GDP using voce instead of tu abra is a correct form too.

In general voce is used in Brazil. But in some parts of Brazil (especially the South and in Bahia if I'M right) tu is more popular than voce. As I live with a woman from the South of Brazil (my darling is from POA) then when I talk to her I always use tu instead of voce. So for me it is perfectly normal to say abre instead of abra. On a final note observe that in gaucho dialects tu abra (is also used) instead of tu abre. For this reason even if tu abre sounds right it is still preferable to use voce abra. It's complicated, isn't?

Azn Safado
09-22-14, 16:11
In general voce is used in Brazil. But in some parts of Brazil (especially the South and in Bahia if I'M right) tu is more popular than voce. As I live with a woman from the South of Brazil (my darling is from POA) then when I talk to her I always use tu instead of voce. So for me it is perfectly normal to say abre instead of abra. On a final note observe that in gaucho dialects tu abra (is also used) instead of tu abre. For this reason even if tu abre sounds right it is still preferable to use voce abra. It's complicated, isn't?This verb conjugation site never lets me down when I'm writing in Portuguese. Now when I'm speaking, that's another problem. Haha.

http://www.conjuga-me.net/verbo-abrir

Albert Punter
09-26-14, 20:34
I believe ABRA is right.
However, when you are in the middle of the action, whichever way you tell, she understands.
Be 100% sure about it.

Bravo
10-24-14, 16:39
What is the difference between (Provar and Experimentar) when asking someone if they would like to taste some food?

Also, why do brazilians use the word "Arrumar" when they say they are cleaning their house instead of the verb Limpar?

Sperto
10-24-14, 17:36
What is the difference between (Provar and Experimentar) when asking someone if they would like to taste some food?

Also, why do brazilians use the word "Arrumar" when they say they are cleaning their house instead of the verb Limpar?
I would use "Arrumar a casa" in the meaning to tidy up things at home. Puttings furnitures etc back to their place. "Limpar a casa" is when you do a cleaning of the house, floors, bathroom etc.
Provar or experimentar to taste food? Interesting one. I usually use experimentar but I guess you could use provar as well. ABG propably knows.

Carlos Primeros
10-25-14, 10:31
Hi Sperto. In the Portugues "Portugese" we use the word "experimentar" for tasting food. . Which does not mean that you also can use "provar" but it is not widely used.

Carlos.

I would use "Arrumar a casa" in the meaning to tidy up things at home. Puttings furnitures etc back to their place. "Limpar a casa" is when you do a cleaning of the house, floors, bathroom etc.
Provar or experimentar to taste food? Interesting one. I usually use experimentar but I guess you could use provar as well. ABG propably knows.

AltoBomGosto
10-25-14, 12:15
Hi Sperto. In the Portugues "Portugese" we use the word "experimentar" for tasting food. . Which does not mean that you also can use "provar" but it is not widely used.

Carlos.Both words are correct meaning to taste. In Sao Paulo provar is of widely used.

ABG.

Mr Enternational
10-25-14, 12:55
I think provar is used more for "to try" as regarding "to attempt", where as experimentar is more "to experience" or "to check out. " When you provar it is you who are doing the active action, but when you experimentar you are going to let something else give you an experience. Pretty much the same thing, but a thin line on the general usage of each.

Jan 156
10-26-14, 06:00
Similarly for trying on clothes. I usually ask if it's possible to experimentar but I've not noticed a rule. Sao Paulo usually seems to go for the less fancy option for practical matters (though Paulistanos seem to delight in inventing new words, especially for affectionate terms, or is that just me?) Cariocas like everything to be larger than life, including novela-esque language. Up in Belem, they seem to treasure cheesy.

Rio Bob
12-14-14, 22:09
I heard this slang phrase several times recently, cado de pau or just cado.

Thats the best I'm going to do on spelling, I have an idea what it is but can someone help with a definition please?

Sperto
12-14-14, 23:03

Thats the best I'm going to do on spelling, I have an idea what it is but can someone help with a definition please?
Cara de pau. English isn't my first language but I guess pokerface/straight face could be a way of translate it.

Albert Punter
12-16-14, 01:06
I have never heard "cado de pau" either. Most likely is what Sperto suggests.
In case you only hear "o cara" it means "the guy".

Sperto
12-16-14, 03:59
I have never heard "cado de pau" either. Most likely is what Sperto suggests.
In case you only hear "o cara" it means "the guy".
Read properly! I wrote "cara de pau".

Albert Punter
12-17-14, 02:31
I read properly my friend. As a matter of fact I was quoting Rio Bob (cado de pau) and stated that your supposition (cara de pau) was right.
For your information, I am fluent in Portuguese so ...

Read properly! I wrote "cara de pau".

Sui Generis
12-17-14, 09:46
It is almost impossible to pinpoint the exact meaning of slang (gíria) expression out of context.

From my perspective, this gíria word is habitually used to describe the behavior of a person acting unmannerly in public.

In that case I would venture the following words as synonyms: atrevido, descarado, sem vergonha, among others.

I'm living in São Paulo for the last year and besides my first job I also work there as a multilingual translator (especially Portuguese to French / English).

In order to get helpful answers, it is mandatory to put words into context.

Sperto
12-17-14, 12:07
I read properly my friend. As a matter of fact I was quoting Rio Bob (cado de pau) and stated that your supposition (cara de pau) was right.
For your information, I am fluent in Portuguese so ...Sorry amigo, misread your post.

Java Man
12-17-14, 22:24
Cara de pau, adjective: brazen, forward.

http://dictionary.reverso.net/portuguese-english/cara%20de%20pau/forced

Can mean many things per linguee: shamelessness, nerve, (as in he has some nerve!) scandal, serious face. The Blues Bothers movie was titled "Os Irmos Cara de Pau".

http://www.linguee.com/english-portuguese/search?sourceoverride=none&source=portuguese&query=cara%20de%20pau

Sperto
12-22-14, 22:02
A lot of guys on the forum tells how they speak Portuguese fluently, and learnt it in no time. Total bullsh*t! I guess those guys are the same guys that sits in Balcony chatting with the GPs with a terrible accent and an awful grammar.

Learning enough Portuguese to be able to order food, chat with Balcony-girls and tell the girls how you want your d*ck sucked doesn't take much efforts. However speaking Portuguese fluently is a different thing.

Before I studied Portuguese at PUC University in Rio, in 1993, I thought I spoke very good Portuguese. I had no problem to communicate and pickup girls with my "good Portuguese". When I started to study Portuguese I understood that the Portuguese I used to think was very good in reality wasn't really that good at all. It takes a lot of hard work and very much practising to speak good Portuguese. You have to learn the grammar, the conjugation of verbs, a lot of vocabulary, slang and get a good accent. After you master all this stuff you will be able to read books in Portuguese, the papers, understand movies and write well.

Again, it's very hard work and takes time before you speak Portuguese fluently. If somebody tells you anything else he's full of sh*t. I often hear brazilians telling me that I speak perfect Portuguese, but I'll be the first one to admit that my Portuguese isn't perfect at all. It's a learning process that goes on all the time. Nothing to be ashamed of. Even many brazilians speaks a lousy Portuguese.

Exec Talent
12-26-14, 19:00
A lot of guys on the forum tells how they speak Portuguese fluently, and learnt it in no time. Total bullsh*t!What I find amusing is that most of the guys who claim to be fluent in Portuguese are not even fluent in their native language (usually English). Sperto often points out that English is not his first language but I find he speaks and writes better than most Americans I encounter.

This week I purchased a bus ticket for a friend in Brazil so she could visit her family for the holidays. Immediately after buying it with my US credit card I thought maybe she would have to present the credit card when she picked up the tickets which is often the case in the US. I called the bus company and asked if anyone spoke English. They did not, so I proceeded to explain my concern in Portuguese.

I have a friend in Brazil who has done me a solid on more than one occasion and I wanted to get her daughter something to show my appreciation. I called her and talked to the person who answered the phone before asking for my friend. I then spoke with my friend about some items I thought her daughter might like and told her I would email her the photos.

I had a business meeting last week in the US with a Brazilian which was facilitated by me being able to speak Portuguese.

This morning I spent reviewing my understanding of Portuguese grammar. It is an ongoing process. Same with mastering English.

Albert Punter
03-08-15, 15:39
Found attached file in my PC and thought to share.
I am honest I don't remember from where I got it. Maybe it has been from here.
So I don't want to get credit for that but just help the ongoing process mentioned by other members in previous posts.

Tiradentes
03-08-15, 16:16
Found attached file in my PC and thought to share.
I am honest I don't remember from where I got it. Maybe it has been from here.
So I don't want to get credit for that but just help the ongoing process mentioned by other members in previous posts.I see the word 'Pinto' is missing from the list. I was taught on my first day in Brasil that 'pinto' stood for 'penis' in Brasil.

The world 'chana' is also missing from the list. 'Chana' is found on a woman body and it is god's greatest creation. It is mostly used in MG.

I chuckled when I read the word 'Porra'. You don't know how many people on this forum confuse 'porra' with' 'pura' (like in pura vida).

Albert Punter
03-10-15, 03:35
You are 100% right. And I am sure you know that Pinto is family name too.

I see the word 'Pinto' is missing from the list. I was taught on my first day in Brasil that 'pinto' stood for 'penis' in Brasil.

The world 'chana' is also missing from the list. 'Chana' is found on a woman body and it is god's greatest creation. It is mostly used in MG.

I chuckled when I read the word 'Porra'. You don't know how many people on this forum confuse 'porra' with' 'pura' (like in pura vida).

Sui Generis
03-10-15, 03:53
I see the word 'Pinto' is missing from the list. I was taught on my first day in Brasil that 'pinto' stood for 'penis' in Brasil.

I chuckled when I read the word 'Porra'. You don't know how many people on this forum confuse 'porra' with' 'pura' (like in pura vida).Chana?

I think you misspelled it. It is rather: xana. Maybe you where thinking of chavasca.

Sperto
03-10-15, 04:08
Chana?

I think you misspelled it. It is rather: xana. Maybe you where thinking of chavasca.That's right, xana. BTW it's on the list.

TD, "pinto" would be used by a kid, not an adult. You don't tell a GP "Chupe meu pinto!" BTW, pinto is also a "chicken kid" or "(I) paint".

Sui Generis
03-10-15, 04:22
That's right, xana. BTW it's on the list.

TD, "pinto" would be used by a kid, not an adult. You don't tell a GP "Chupe meu pinto!" BTW, pinto is also a "chicken kid" or "(I) paint".From my personal experience in Brazil (mostly in Sao Paulo, Porto Alegre and Florianopolis) the term that is used more frequently is pau.

Sperto
03-10-15, 04:58
From my personal experience in Brazil (mostly in Sao Paulo, Porto Alegre and Florianopolis) the term that is used more frequently is pau.I agree. Pau, pica or piroca.

Albert Punter
03-11-15, 06:13
I have heard both used but pau is most common.

I agree. Pau, pica or piroca.

AltoBomGosto
03-11-15, 11:02
That's right, xana. BTW it's on the list.

TD, "pinto" would be used by a kid, not an adult. You don't tell a GP "Chupe meu pinto!" BTW, pinto is also a "chicken kid" or "(I) paint".Caralho is another commun word.

Bravo
04-23-15, 23:46
How do you say "Sneaky" in portugese? Like "Your sister is a very sneaky / conniving person!

Tiradentes
04-24-15, 04:18
How do you say "Sneaky" in portugese? Like "Your sister is a very sneaky / conniving person!The closest thing that comes to my mind is 'Esperta'. Although it literally word means clever / intelligent, the word is commonly used to portray somebody who is trying to outsmart another person to do something for him / her.

Bravo
04-26-15, 22:01
The closest thing that comes to my mind is 'Esperta'. Although it literally word means clever / intelligent, the word is commonly used to portray somebody who is trying to outsmart another person to do something for him / her.I have heard the term "BOCA ESPERTA" many times. I think it means to call someone a smart ass. But I don't know what to use to describe a conniving ot sneaky individual.

Exec Talent
04-27-15, 01:29
I have heard the term "BOCA ESPERTA" many times. I think it means to call someone a smart ass. But I don't know what to use to describe a conniving ot sneaky individual.My Brazilian sources tell me sorrateiro. If you are talking about someone who goes behind another persons back while appearing to be their friend most Brazilians use the term falso. Personally, I like the word clandestino to describe someone who does not do things out in the open.

Ricker
04-27-15, 12:26
How do you say "Sneaky" in portugese? Like "Your sister is a very sneaky / conniving person!In spanish I've always heard and used "tramposo".

In portuguese I've been told, "trapaceiro", meaning a cheat or bilker / con man.

Bravo
06-10-15, 06:51
How do you say someone does not have "Common Sense" in portugese?

I know "Educacao" is similar, but I think that is more in terms of "they are ignorant or had no home training" Not necessarily what I am trying to say.

Java Man
06-11-15, 00:06
How do you say someone does not have "Common Sense" in portugese?Senso comum, juizo, or sensato: nao tem senso comum.

http://www.linguee.com/english-portuguese/translation/good+judgment+and+common+sense.html

Black43
07-10-15, 07:27
Hi,

I've been studying Portuguese for only a short time. My listening comprehension is not there yet and I'm terrified to have a phone conversation in Portuguese. But I can't find a good reference in what to say to reserve a girl (in a prive or terma) over the phone. How does that conversation go? Can anyone come up with an example?

Also I would like to know how to ask for a room with a bed. I really dislike the massage table in the prives.

Thank you.

Jan 156
07-10-15, 15:40
Hi,

I've been studying Portuguese for only a short time. My listening comprehension is not there yet and I'm terrified to have a phone conversation in Portuguese. But I can't find a good reference in what to say to reserve a girl (in a prive or terma) over the phone. How does that conversation go? Can anyone come up with an example?

Also I would like to know how to ask for a room with a bed. I really dislike the massage table in the prives.

Thank you.Lots of prives do have beds. Phoning private ads in the newspaper can be hit and miss. She might understand you but then talk very quickly which can be harder going. If staying in apartment it's sometimes possible to get the security clerk (the guy at the bottom of the stairs who sits doing nothing all day) to phone for you. A few cans of beer or a late night x-tudo can be a good form of thanks.

Jan 156
07-10-15, 15:43
From my personal experience in Brazil (mostly in Sao Paulo, Porto Alegre and Florianopolis) the term that is used more frequently is pau.I've nearly always used pinto. Or naturally if I am jokingly giving it the macho touch, pintão! (Fantasy is a great thing.).

Mr Enternational
07-10-15, 16:07
Hi,

I've been studying Portuguese for only a short time. My listening comprehension is not there yet and I'm terrified to have a phone conversation in Portuguese.And it will stay that way and you will be forever terrified if you never do it. You got to jump in the pool to swim. All you can do is call and practice. Everybody had a first time and I doubt that anyone's was perfect.

Exec Talent
07-11-15, 22:25
Hi,

Thank you.You asked an excellent question and were given some really good advice in befriending the doorman. Just going for it is plain ridiculous.

Even after I learned Portuguese reasonably well, I was still nervous when I needed to communicate by phone. One wrong word or mispronunciation and the conversation goes downhill. There is not the use of hand gestures, facial expressions or the give and take of a face-to-face conversation.

If you are planning a trip to Rio one of the best investments you can make is better quality chocolate bars. If you are staying at an apartment, introduce yourself to the doorman and hand him a bar. Pay close attention to his name and say it back to him, smiling and looking at him. If they help me with luggage, I give them 5-10 Reais. Same goes with staying at a girl friendly hotel. Get to know the receptionists and bellmen. I often stop by places I have stayed before just to say Hello,. Being a jerk, as with most places in the world, gets you nowhere, but especially in Brazil. Being the nice gringo pays dividends over and over again. Respect the country, respect the culture, respect the women.

Black43
07-12-15, 06:12
Thank you for the advice. I'm learning Portuguese through duolingo right now but I'll be switching to something that has more emphasis on listening comprehension. I totally agree on getting to know your doorman or doormen. The polar bears got it right. (from the old coca cola commercials) Everyone enjoys a bottle of coca cola especially on a boring graveyard swift. I did this and the service I received was outstanding.

Bravo
08-09-15, 21:28
My occasional wing man is dating a brasilian girl and we were having conversation last week about this expression. He told me that he was using her iPhone and saw a message from a brasilian guy saying that he hadn't seen her or heard from her in a long time and he asked when they would "Matar Saudade". (The conversation was in both english and portugese.) His portugese is minimal at best and he asked me what that expression meant. I wasnt sure what to say but I told him that I think it means different things if it sent from a guy versus a female. I told him, think of it this way. If an American guy says "Hey, when are we going to hook up again?" he probably isn't talking about getting a cup of coffee, he is asking when are they going to fuck.

In my opinion if a Brasilian guy is saying to a woman "Vamos Matar Suaudade" he is saying in a nice way 'when can I see you again so we can fuck". My wing man was really pissed when I explained it to him, but I try to clarify that this is my definition of the expression and that I could be wrong. But if a man wrote that to my lady, I would be pissed.

FuckAfMedDig
08-09-15, 22:13
My occasional wing man is dating a brasilian girl and we were having conversation last week about this expression. He told me that he was using her iPhone and saw a message from a brasilian guy saying that he hadn't seen her or heard from her in a long time and he asked when they would "Matar Saudade". (The conversation was in both english and portugese.) His portugese is minimal at best and he asked me what that expression meant. I wasnt sure what to say but I told him that I think it means different things if it sent from a guy versus a female. I told him, think of it this way. If an American guy says "Hey, when are we going to hook up again?" he probably isn't talking about getting a cup of coffee, he is asking when are they going to fuck.

In my opinion if a Brasilian guy is saying to a woman "Vamos Matar Suaudade" he is saying in a nice way 'when can I see you again so we can fuck". My wing man was really pissed when I explained it to him, but I try to clarify that this is my definition of the expression and that I could be wrong. But if a man wrote that to my lady, I would be pissed.It means exactly that.

It means lets kill the longing-lets end the longing for each other and get into it again.

Brazilian dudes are relentless hittin exes or ficantes (ficar = to stay with-ie fuck buddies-amigos coloridos-friends with benefits.

Friends will hit wife of a friend and vice versa-a friend's GF / BF. No shame. I've experienced it.

FuckAfMedDig
08-09-15, 22:16
I've nearly always used pinto. Or naturally if I am jokingly giving it the macho touch, pinto! (Fantasy is a great thing.).Piroca is common.

Albert Punter
09-05-15, 23:02
Actually that expression can be used by a girl too when talking to a guy.
A few weeks ago a girl I know some years already who left the business to marry to a foreigner, came back to Brazil for some time.
She contacted me and asked me if I was around as she missed me and wanted "matar saudade".
Guess how it went.

In my opinion if a Brasilian guy is saying to a woman "Vamos Matar Suaudade" he is saying in a nice way 'when can I see you again so we can fuck".

Bravo
04-20-16, 16:21
I have been eating at my favorite suco spot for a few days now and I notice that whenever I order food they ask me "Agora ou Viaje? I thought that was strange soe I asked a waitress is the word agora has more than one meaning? I asked her to explain to me why they don't ask me "Aqui ou Viaje?" when I am placing my order and she looked at me like a I had 3 heads. She could nto explain why they used agora and just shrugged her shoulders and walked off.

So the word Agora means to "stay here" and it is a reference for time?

Sperto
04-20-16, 16:46
I have been eating at my favorite suco spot for a few days now and I notice that whenever I order food they ask me "Agora ou Viaje? I thought that was strange soe I asked a waitress is the word agora has more than one meaning? I asked her to explain to me why they don't ask me "Aqui ou Viaje?" when I am placing my order and she looked at me like a I had 3 heads. She could nto explain why they used agora and just shrugged her shoulders and walked off.

So the word Agora means to "stay here" and it is a reference for time?
"Agora ou viagem?" You are going to eat it now (i.e here and now) or to go/take away.

Exec Talent
04-20-16, 18:25

So the word Agora means to "stay here" and it is a reference for time?Agora means now so what she is asking is do you want to eat this now or take it with you to eat later.

Bravo
04-20-16, 18:37
"Agora ou viagem?" You are going to eat it now (i.e here and now) or to go/take away.No no, I understood what it meant. I was just confused why use the word "Agora" instead of using the word "Aqui" when they are asking if I was "Going to eat here"? Why not ask "Aqui ou viagem"? That was what I asked the young woman and she was unable to explain it to me.

Thats the hardest part about learning another language for me is understanding why they use a certain word instead of others. And when you ask them why, they have no response or they will usually say "It means the same thing". LOL.

Exec Talent
04-21-16, 00:53
No no, I understood what it meant. I was just confused why use the word "Agora" instead of using the word "Aqui" when they are asking if I was "Going to eat here"? Why not ask "Aqui ou viagem"? That was what I asked the young woman and she was unable to explain it to me.

Thats the hardest part about learning another language for me is understanding why they use a certain word instead of others. And when you ask them why, they have no response or they will usually say "It means the same thing". LOL.http://www.amazon.com/Colloquial-Portuguese-Brazil-2/dp/0415430976

You could travel around the US and find local phrases that even confuse those from other parts of the country. Those growing up in the south can well remember their first trip north and wondering what in the hell those people were talking about and vice versa.

I have found this Book and Audio helpful. I study on my own then review with a Brazilian. We discuss the different uses of slang based upon regions which incidentally, the book does address. Sometimes it is all about exposure which is why I have such great respect for Sperto who has traveled Brazil far and wide.

Gumband (Pittsburgese for Rubber band), anyone?

Mr Enternational
04-21-16, 17:00
That is because you are trying to think in your language. Even in English we have differences. When I was in England the guy asked to put my suitcase in the boot. I said hell no. Put my shit in the trunk. Then he asked me if I wanted to smoke a fag. I said I am not trying to go to jail for going around killing homosexuals. Some things just are what they are. It is hard enough to make sense of something in the same language. When you attempt to relate something to your language you could really be asking for it.

Koolkid
04-22-16, 14:48
I want to start learning portuguese within the next week. I can manage 30-45 minutes a day and more on the weekends
and prefer the leaning from laptop / tablet idea.

I have read bad reviews online about Rosetta Stone being too pricey for what you actually get out of it. Can anyone recomend
any others? I would like to hold small conversatons by October and the clock is ticking.

Thanks for any advice.

Exec Talent
04-22-16, 17:14
I want to start learning portuguese within the next week. I can manage 30-45 minutes a day and more on the weekends
and prefer the leaning from laptop / tablet idea.

I have read bad reviews online about Rosetta Stone being too pricey for what you actually get out of it. Can anyone recomend
any others? I would like to hold small conversatons by October and the clock is ticking.

Thanks for any advice.Rosetta Stone is not bad. The most important element of any language learning system is the feeling that you can actually learn a new language. Rosetta Stone gives you that.

Having used many resources, I would recommend a new learner start with www.duolingo.com. There are computer and phone versions and it is free.

www.pimsleur.com is good for the times when you are in an audio only environment. Various discounts are available and is in many libraries.

www.portuguesepod101.com has some free materials and also will email you a word of the day with contextual word usage.

A good resource to learn slang is.

http://www.amazon.com/Colloquial-Portuguese-Brazil-2/dp/0415430976/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461340790&sr=8-1&keywords=colloquial+portuguese+of+Brazil+2.

http://streetsmartbrazil.com/ has a number of Youtube videos which can help to learn usage (from a Brazilian).

Find conversation partners here:

http://streetsmartbrazil.com/3-free-sites-finding-brazilian-conversation-partners/

However, Rosetta Stone acquired LiveMocha and as of today decided to shut it down.

The Foreign Services Institute also has free courses but the course is formal, dated and materials a little rough.

http://www.fsi-language-courses.net/

Hope this helps.

Mr Enternational
04-22-16, 21:25
If you know how to download torrents then you can get all you will probably use for free, including rosetta stone and pimsleur. I recommend going on amazon and buying a first year textbook along with 501 Verbs and a big Eng Port dictionary. Being a foreign language teacher, I also think Pimsleur is great and Rosetta Stone not good at all. I even tell that to people that I sell them to. For RS you have to be seated at a computer but with Pimsleur you can learn while driving to work, taking a shower, and even going to sleep.

Rio Bob
04-22-16, 22:10
All good options here for learning Portuguese I have done most of them including Babbel. I have recently tried a new one for me which has a good approach, they go after Portuguese by using all the words that are very much the same in English and they say there are about 1200 of them so you immediately have a good vocabulary or vocabulario, you can get it on http://www.audible.com/ It's called Michael Thomas, unfortunately it's Portuguese from Europe but I can tell the difference in accent.

Koolkid
04-23-16, 08:04
Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated. I will let you know how I get on.

Exec Talent
04-29-16, 15:12
http://www.folha.uol.com.br/

Great feature of this online paper is its built-in reading app (ReadSpeaker).

Select a story and click on OUVIR o TEXTO and the story will be read to you as the related text is highlighted.

You can even download the audio in. MP3 format.

Wonderful learning tool.

Rodeo9112
06-22-16, 12:49
Just wanted to share that I found a great translator app on iTunes which allows you to speak in your native language and have it translated into the desired language (including Brazilian Portuguese), both through audio and text. You can also change the voice to female or male depending on preference. You are able to erase your conversations with a swipe! The app is called Speak and Translate.

Exec Talent
10-23-16, 18:17
From the Foz do Iguazu Report Thread.

As I spent two nights and only one day to visit cataratas...English: waterfalls.

Spanish: cascadas.

Portuguese: cachoeiras, cataratas.

In Rio and São Paulo I have only heard cachoeiras. Curious what terms the locals in Foz do Iguaçu use.

Herr Pollon
12-13-16, 17:40
Hey, first of all, thanks to all of you.

Can anyone tell me how to ask Brazilian girls to talk dirty (in Portuguese) to me?

Thanks.

XXL
12-13-16, 17:43

Can anyone tell me how to ask Brazilian girls to talk dirty (in Portuguese) to me?

Thanks."Você pode falar sujo comigo".

Herr Pollon
12-13-16, 20:47
Thank you for the info, and the fast reply!

Bravo
01-04-17, 01:48
My aunt used to say "You come to me with empty hands" when she was talking about people who ask for favors but have nothing to offer in return. Is there a phrase or expression in Portuguese when someone asks you for a big favor but do not offer anything in return? Or they do nothing to motivate you to do a favor for them?

Traceur
01-04-17, 12:56
Memrise.com has a good language course which helps pick up the basic words. I was at it for roughly a month and could find mu way around, basic greetings, negotiations and some more in Portuguese was added to my vocab.

Having a translator app is helpful too. Google translate works quite well.

Paulisto
07-06-17, 03:45
https://www.morgana69mayfair.com/copia-us-home

Here have many words and slangs from Brazil.

Paulisto
07-06-17, 05:13

Thanks.Or "Fale palavrão para mim" (on google translator you can hear this phrase).

Eric Cartman
08-23-17, 16:14
"Voc pode falar sujo comigo".So very very wrong. Sujo = dirty in the sense of unclean. Not right in this context. The other comment about "fala palavrao" is closer -- palavrao is a curse-word (fuck! Shit! *****!) . Not sure I would use imperative (fale!) for a request haha. Consider simple "fala palavras safadas them portuguese" which is basically "talk dirty to me in portuguese".

Eric Cartman
08-24-17, 18:16
S"fala palavras safadas them portuguese" which is basically "talk dirty to me in portuguese".Board auto-edited my text -- should be "fala palavras safadas* comigo" . *safadinhas is even better (safadinha = dirty little.).

Eric Cartman
09-11-17, 00:13
Board auto-edited my text -- should be "fala palavras safadas* comigo" . *safadinhas is even better (safadinha = dirty little.).So anyway, I just saw this in a photoacompanhantes ad:

Falar besteirinhas no ouvido.

Which is basically "talk little bullshit things in the ear" - besteira = bullshit, but here it appears to be used as little dirty things. (ouvido = (inner) ear).

Steve 9696
07-15-18, 22:31
Trying to learn basic Portuguese for say a Scandallo or Fazendinha interaction. I have a few of the basics, but appreciate your learned tips in improving any of the "book learning" below and ways to say certain things not covered in my specific course needs. Here are a few that I could use help with:

Voce esta optima (is that the best way to tell a girl you like how she looks?

Voce gostaria (bebida?

You have beautiful eyes.

You have a beautiful smile.

Por favor, Eu gostaria (a rum and coke).

Cum in mouth, Beijous na boca are included in price (this is Ok to ask in a negotiation I believe?

That will probably do for now. Let me know others you think are handy besides the usual what's your name and where are you from. Really appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks!

HannahBaker
04-28-19, 15:49
You need to speak more Portuguese. Or try to draw an analogy between one or another word in Portuguese and in Spanish. So it will be easier to remember the translation in 2 languages at once. I learned French from English. Of course, I used an online translator (if you need it, here's a resource https://www.translate.com/). In it, the plus is that you can record the text with your voice and the site immediately translates, also provides the voice acting of the translation.

Sperto
05-15-19, 19:15
Right sao was correct for they situation. If I were saying about myself there is a subtle difference between esta and sou. The difference is you use Sou when describing a more permanent state of existence. So for example:

I am here now. Eu esta aqui.

Vs.

I am from the US. Eu sou dos Estados Unidos.
I rather not clutter the Rio thread with portuguese lessons.

Nope. "Eu estou aqui. " Very basic portuguese.

Steve 9696
05-16-19, 00:48
I rather not clutter the Rio thread with portuguese lessons.

Nope. "Eu estou aqui. " Very basic portuguese.Yes indeed. Still learning. Hope to improve a lot in the next couple months.

TommyBr
07-19-19, 18:47

Thanks.My 1st contribution here.

We talk about "safadeza" . In this context: "Fale umas safadezas para mim" = "Talk dirty to me".

Hope it helps! And sorry for my poor English, Brazilian Portuguese is my mother language!

Sperto
10-18-19, 19:04
What is the best way to bargain prices with these Brazilian girls? Not to look cheap but get the best bang for my buck. Literally LOL.
I rather avoid cluttering the Rio thread when there is a proper thread.

Assume you meet a girl at Mabs or similar place.

You ask how much she charges:
"Quanto você cobra?"
She propably answers something absurd like R$300.
Then you tell her that she deserves much more:
"Você merece muito mais."
By now she gets all smiling and proud as you noticed how beautiful she is.
Then you continues telling her that you unfortunately you can only afford her to pay R$100:
"Infelizmente, só tenho tem condições de pagar R$100."
Then she might accept R$100 or at least lower her price.

If she gets rude you just finish the conversation with:
"Se feiura fosse crime, você pegaria pena de morte."

NotSoYoung
01-07-20, 20:49
Leading up to my trip in March I am trying to learn some rudimentary Portuguese but Languages are not my strong suit.

I am a bit confused about saying "and you ". I downloaded a script of the lessons from another source and this has it as e você but that doesn't sound at all what they are saying.

It sounds like "You Senhor" for a man and Ya Senhora for a Woman.

They explain that in Portuguese the e is often lost in quick speech but I can't see where the "you" or "Ya" sound is coming from.

I should probably just move on but things bug me when they don't make sense.

I am not 100% if it is allowed or not but I could try and post a google drive or onedrive link with lesson 3 or just a snippet with the part in question.

P.S. In writing this out in full I think I might have answered my own question. Would they be saying "e o Senhor" and "e a Senhora" and the e is is just lost in speech they explained. I can only assume therefore that the script I found is just someones's DIY attempt and the e voce inst correct for that part of the audio even thou e voce and be used for and you.

Maybe I was better of without the script although it has helped a lot on some words.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Steve 9696
01-08-20, 02:11
Leading up to my trip in March I am trying to learn some rudimentary Portuguese but Languages are not my strong suit.

I am a bit confused about saying "and you ". I downloaded a script of the lessons from another source and this has it as e voc but that doesn't sound at all what they are saying.

They explain that in Portuguese the e is often lost in quick speech but I can't see where the "you" or "Ya" sound is coming from.

I am not 100% if it is allowed or not but I could try and post a google drive or onedrive link with lesson 3 or just a snippet with the part in question.

P.S. In writing this out in full I think I might have answered my own question. Would they be saying "e o Senhor" and "e a Senhora" and the e is is just lost in speech they explained. I can only assume therefore that the script I found is just someones's DIY attempt and the e voce inst correct for that part of the audio even thou e voce and be used for and you.

Maybe I was better of without the script although it has helped a lot on some words.

Any help greatly appreciated.Some locals may chime in with more correct stuff but here is my take. I did Pimsleur about 60 lessons as I recall.

First tip is don't worry too much about printed material. Learn everything by ear. Brazilian Portuguese rarely looks like it's spelled to a westerner. For example Obrigado. Once you see this written you are screwed. Because you will use western pronunciation. Like you will end with an O sound when it should end with an OO sound like zoo. And the R is between an R and L sound (more like Japanese than English). Not a hard R like English. Just LISTEN and repeat and you will have a MUCH better accent. I was consistently told by my Brazilian colleagues my accent was excellent for the small amount of study.

The whole Senor Senora thing is way over done on Pimsleur. Voce is used all the time. And when written it's "vc" if you want to be cool. I highly recommend staying in touch with your favorite girl or girls by WhatsApp. Really improves your Portuguese and you learn a few written things like:

Vc = voce

Uau = wow

Jajaja = hahaha

Mr Enternational
01-08-20, 04:24
The whole Senor Senora thing is way over done on Pimsleur. Voce is used all the time. And when written it's "vc" if you want to be cool. Really improves your Portuguese and you learn a few written things like:

Vc = voce

Uau = wow

Jajaja = hahahaTotally agreee with everything you said. Except I have never known a Brazilian person to write jajajaja as people that speak Spanish do. It would even be pronounced as zsazsazsa as in Zsa Zsa Gabor. I have more commonly known them to write rsrs, which is short for riso or laughter.

Nordico
01-08-20, 18:28
I have more commonly known them to write rsrs, which is short for riso or laughter.You can also write kkkk.

Steve 9696
01-08-20, 23:06
You can also write kkkk.Quite right! Kkkkkk is more common. My Brasileira baby got engaged earlier this year and my Português is suffering!

Xpartan
01-20-20, 07:07

I am a bit confused about saying "and you ". I downloaded a script of the lessons from another source and this has it as e voc but that doesn't sound at all what they are saying.

Any help greatly appreciated.Now I don't speak Portuguese beyond the level of probably a 3-year old (if that), but here is something I'm sure of: people don't use "E O Senhor" in Brasil. I remember a girl I was riding on a bus with a few years back was dumbfounded to hear me say that to an older dude on the bus. She would actually accost the gentleman I was talking to and other people on the bus to ask for their opinions -- all of them agreed that "O Senhor" isn't used in Brazil unless in very formal settings, and they have never heard or used it themselves.

Sperto
01-20-20, 11:30
Now I don't speak Portuguese beyond the level of probably a 3-year old (if that), but here is something I'm sure of: people don't use "E O Senhor" in Brasil. I remember a girl I was riding on a bus with a few years back was dumbfounded to hear me say that to an older dude on the bus. She would actually accost the gentleman I was talking to and other people on the bus to ask for their opinions -- all of them agreed that "O Senhor" isn't used in Brazil unless in very formal settings, and they have never heard or used it themselves.
It's perfectly fine to use "o Senhor"/"a Senhora" when speaking to e.g older people on a bus, in the supermarket, on the street etc. It's a educated way of showing respect.

In Nordeste it's not rare that children use "o Senhor"/"a Senhora" when speaking to their parents.

Exec Talent
01-20-20, 20:47
Now I don't speak Portuguese beyond the level of probably a 3-year old (if that), but here is something I'm sure of: people don't use "E O Senhor" in Brasil. I remember a girl I was riding on a bus with a few years back was dumbfounded to hear me say that to an older dude on the bus. She would actually accost the gentleman I was talking to and other people on the bus to ask for their opinions -- all of them agreed that "O Senhor" isn't used in Brazil unless in very formal settings, and they have never heard or used it themselves.Good article here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senhor

If you have any exposure to religions in Brazil, you will hear O Senhor quite often. And, as Sperto mentioned in his post, it is used often when referring to an older person. My personal experience has been that it is used more often by 30 - 50 year old Brazilians when speaking with someone 65+. Therefore, a younger person may not have the same sentiment or upbringing. When I have used it, along with maybe a gentle touch, the older person lit up like a Christmas tree. In most cultures, a foreigner showing respect for the elderly is one way to ingratiate yourself with the locals. But, it is important to understand cultural differences. In Japan, I always asked my host for approval before giving my seat on the train to an elderly woman.

Xpartan
01-29-20, 06:36
Good to know! I guess, I will use O Senhor more often then. And I was so confident that the garota set me straight, LOL.

Exec Talent
01-25-21, 19:37
Means literally Little Way.

Jeito means Way and we all know the suffix nho means Little, Small, Junior. Like Gatinho. Kitten.

So, what Jeitinho means to a Brazilian when asked of someone is There must be a way or isn't there some way?

This is usually accompanied by money (bribe).

Stopped by the police. Jeitinho.

Want to get into an exclusive club. Jeitinho.

Want to do her up the butt. Jeitinho.

Jeito. JAY-TOE.

Jeitinho. JAY-CHEEN-YO.

Exec Talent
01-26-21, 01:00
When I first started traveling to Brazil, I met a Brazilian woman living in the US who lent me the earlier edition of this book https://www.routledgetextbooks.com/textbooks/colloquial/language/port_brazil.php.

It contains conversations I used to practice with my Brazilian friends. Living among Brazilians in Brazil helps, but you obviously will not encounter any many situations as are covered in this book. I have often surprised Brazilians when a situation did come up by actively participating in the conversation instead of being uncomfortable because I did not know what was going on. Same goes for knowing popular Brazilian song lyrics. Those of you whom have been successful with women in your own country and language know where I am headed with this. There are few things sadder than walking by a Gringo-Tute bar and seeing two people with nothing to say sitting across from each other. Then you know it really is only about the money.

Vagabundo1
05-09-21, 13:07
An article published by O Globo in 2007 revealed the origin of Complexo do Alemão. After World War I, a Pole named Leonard Kaczmarkiewicz bought the land. It was not long before the place became known as Morro do Alemão German's Hill due to Kaczmarkiewicz's physical looks a person of stereotypical European fair complexion is informally called alemão, galego or russo in Brazilian Portuguese, while gringo only apply to non-Portuguese-speaking tourists; these terms can be offensive, jocose or intimate depending on context, but are generally impolitely neutral.

Source: wiki on alemao.

Phate
05-10-21, 12:49
More used is kkkkkkk.

Totally agreee with everything you said. Except I have never known a Brazilian person to write jajajaja as people that speak Spanish do. It would even be pronounced as zsazsazsa as in Zsa Zsa Gabor. I have more commonly known them to write rsrs, which is short for riso or laughter.

Mr Enternational
10-29-21, 15:39
This is a Brazilian Portuguese language learning youtube channel that I enjoy watching.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5em2rhzvSjQ

Vagabundo1
11-01-21, 21:31
Thanks.

This is another instant report of distinction.

If I could figure out how to link to that thread correctly haah.

This is a Brazilian Portuguese language learning youtube channel that I enjoy watching.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5em2rhzvSjQ

Questner
12-05-21, 22:41
Olá, (name), tudo bem? Viu seu perfil no (.name of the site) why gostaria de mais informações. Poderia por gentileza me informar o valor do seu cachê e se você está disponível hoje à noite?

You may use the above phrase to communicate on Whatsapp to schedule a date with a provider:

Hello, (her name), how are you? I've seen your profile on (name of the website) and would like to get more information. Would you please let me know your rates and availability for this night?

Or you can start a conversation anywhere with the following:

— Você é linda. Qual é o seu nome? You're beautiful. What's your name?

Anyway, you need some basic language to communicate, and to distinguish between your basic Spanish.

There are many suggestions how to do it: use internet resources (youtube, blogs, podcasts); set up captions on youtube and TV channels; subscribe to video resources (example Amazon Prime); learn to type and use diacritics from the beginning; buy Brazilian edition (with the flag in the upper left corner) of Gramatica Ativa 1 and 2 on Amazon; etc.

I'm trying to attach my vocabulary starter for beginners, which may help you to read online ads, etc. It's not perfect by no means, and you can copy and modify it for your needs. If you are a Brazilian national, I apologize that this starter has been skewed into adult content.

Well, Docx shows 'Invalid file' and ISG does not permit me to upload (let me know how I can solve the issue).

Mr Enternational
12-05-21, 23:32
Ol, .(name), tudo bem? Viu seu perfil Change viu to vi. With viu you are saying she saw her own profile.

Questner
12-06-21, 23:59
Change viu to vi. With viu you are saying she saw her own profile.I have no idea yet, however since I see this usage all the time, I suspect the speakers don't use first personal singular in this expression (and the youtube channel that you've posted below confirmed it in a couple of videos).

Mr Enternational
12-07-21, 00:36
I have no idea yet, however since I see this usage all the time, I suspect the speakers don't use first personal singular in this expression (and the youtube channel that you've posted below confirmed it in a couple of videos).Maybe you have something confused.

I saw the dog. Eu vi o cachorro or Vi o cachorro.

You saw the dog. Voce viu o cachorro or Viu o cachorro.

Or you can say (you) see what I mean. Viu.

I saw your profile. Vi seu perfil.

You saw your profile. Viu seu perfil.

Exec Talent
12-09-21, 09:53
It is great to learn proper Portuguese. It would also be great if the locals spoke it. They don't. I have had educated Portuguese friends with me when speaking with porteiros (apartment doormen and gatekeepers) and asked them to help me understand what the porteiros were saying. Just like me, they had no idea.

Sun08
01-11-22, 03:19
Portuguese Language Lessons.

https://ielanguages.com/portuguese.html

XXL
05-30-22, 14:05
Good article here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senhor

If you have any exposure to religions in Brazil, you will hear O Senhor quite often. And, as Sperto mentioned in his post, it is used often when referring to an older person. My personal experience has been that it is used more often by 30 - 50 year old Brazilians when speaking with someone 65+. Therefore, a younger person may not have the same sentiment or upbringing. When I have used it, along with maybe a gentle touch, the older person lit up like a Christmas tree. In most cultures, a foreigner showing respect for the elderly is one way to ingratiate yourself with the locals. But, it is important to understand cultural differences. In Japan, I always asked my host for approval before giving my seat on the train to an elderly woman.O Senhor / A Senhora, polite form for "you" when speaking to total strangers, usable with persons of the same age and even younger in order to show respect. I am 62 but I'd use "O Senhor / A Senhora" with someone queueing in front of me at a cashier or with the customs officer stamping my passport, regardless of their age. Like Vd. In Spanish as opposed to "tu". If you know the name of the person you want to show some respect to, you use their name, eg someone called Luisa to whom you want to ask whether she likes cold meat, rather than say "Vc gosta de carne fria?" (neutral, no special respect), you say "A Luisa gosta de carne fria?" (a bit more respect than neutral but with a touch of friendliness). Since you know her already, "A Senhora" would sound weird.

Xpartan
08-20-22, 22:38
For example, how would a Brazilian who only speaks Portuguese fare in the DR, Mexico or Colombia? Would they understand Spanish on a reasonable level and make themselves understood? Not talking about complex interactions, but in tourist settings (restaurant / hotel / sightseeing).

SoberHans69
09-23-22, 18:48
Hi can anyone recommend a private online Portuguese tutor from Brazil?

Searched online but they all want you to pay the website a subscription fee on top of what you pay the tutor.

Obrigado.

AjayLost
06-27-23, 22:31
Is it possible to manage with just English in Sao Paulo. I don't know Spanish or Portuguese.