PDA

View Full Version : San Jose - Restaurant Recommendations

Admin
06-22-05, 22:27
Thread Starter.

Sun Devil
06-22-05, 23:39
In my opinion, the two best places to eat in San Jose are Tinjo and Bakea. One is an Asian restaurant that serves cuisines from various Asian countries, and the other has a more contemporary fare. Both have very elegant interiors.

If one wants a cheap but still delightful fare, nothing beats the Peurvian soda just up the street from Zona Blue, on the southwest corner of Ave 7.

Coquí
06-23-05, 03:40
There are 3 restaurants (small chain) called Princesa Marina. There is one at Sabana norte another in Moravia and a third one that I do not know the location. It has a great selection at incredible prices. If you have the time it is a most. A tico friend introduced me to the place. Any taxi can take you there. They prepare a deep fried de-bone fish in 3 sizes that is great. Their lobster is a great dish for under $12.00.

Good luck.....

Jaimito Cartero
06-23-05, 08:27
I know where Tinjo is, but it would be helpful for the people that don't to put some sort of cross streets for an address. Otherwise you get 5 posts, "Where is that at"...

Don Papi
06-23-05, 16:32
Tin Jo is on Calle 11, between Ave 6 and 8 on the west side of the street, phone 221-7605.

Pluto2
07-07-05, 16:12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Pollo Campero is okay. There are some rotiserrie chicken places that are really good. My favorite is a bit out of the downtown area (A chinese restaurant across from Hiper Mas).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackup
Jamito,

Do you have a name of that restaurant you go to? I'am always looking for good places to eat.

Not to give you a hard time, Jaimito, but your description doesn't help very much. Many of the rotisserrie chicken places are run by chinese INCLUDING Mariscar and Campesino (though, why anyone would order the chinese when the chicken is so good is beyond me). I'm also guessing most people don't know what the "Hiper Mas" is? Isn't that the name of the new mall out by Tres Rios? Thats a bit more than a bit outside of downtown and hardly worth going to for a $3 chicken meal unless you are out that way anyway.

Here is a list of good places to eat that are a heck of a lot closer to the Gulch (and all of them are shown on the latest map):
Atomic Cafe
Bakea
Balcon de Europa
Bar/Cafe Morazon
Cafe Mundo
Campesino
Chelles Bar (24hrs)
Costa del Sol
Criolitto
Del Mar
Don Wang (Dim Sum)
Faro's
JR's Ribs
La Palma (mixed reviews but recently reopened under new mgmt)
La Piazzetta (Paseo Colon area near Oasis)
Machu Pichu (Paseo Colon area near Oasis)
Grano D'Oro (Paseo Colon area near Oasis at Hotel of same name)
Mariscar
Nuestra Tierra
Pasaje Viaje (new food court across Ave. Central from Mariscar)
Soda Castro
Soda Central
Soda Delicias del Peru
Tin Jo

Not shown on the map but still fairly close:
new and not yet on the map but near Tin Jo: La Esquina de Buenos Aires
near Sabana Park and arguably the best in all of SJ in their categories: El Chicote (steak), La Princesa Marina (seafood) & Masia de Triquel (spanish/paella)
in El Pueblo: Lukas (steak), Papa Pez (fish), Cocina de Lena (a touristy Tico tradition) interesting but touristy shops and art galleries to check out before or after dinner.
the food court at Mall San Pedro is a great place to eat a cheap lunch and girl watch at the same time.
Plenty of good dinner places further out in Escazu and then there are the "mirador restaurants" up in the mountains with great views overlooking SJ and the central valley: Ram Luna, El Monastere, The White House (formerly Tara)

I'm sure I've missed plenty of other good ones and others are welcome to add to this list, but you get my point. In short, Quack, there is no need to go looking very far for good places to eat in SJ.
Report this Post
to a Moderator

Pluto2
07-07-05, 16:14
peruvian restaurants

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you guys snuck your replies while i was still writing my "book". here are a few other comments.

why go to rohrmoser for peruvian when you have really good places that are closer and more convenient?

if you want to try peruvian food, one that is much closer to the gulch is the soda deliciosa del peru. it is on calle 3b right up the street from zb (zona blue) on the opposite side which makes it an excellent place to go for lunch on either the way to or from a zb massage.

as for machu pichu, that is one of my favorite sj restaurants (if not my most favorite) and i have eaten there many times. be sure to have a pisco sour with your meal. for those who don't know what that is, it is a traditional peruvian alcoholic drink made from pisco which is a sort of grape brandy. ceviche makes a good appetizer if you're into marinated fish (but not really my thing). seafood and potatoes are 2 basic staples of peruvian cooking and causa limena is an excellent choice - lemon flavored potatoes stuffed with shrimp. for those that are not big fisheaters, aji de gallina (chopped chicken in cream sauce) is really good. and be sure to save room for a little desert one spoonful of suspira de limena and you'll think you've died and gone to heaven.

machu pichu is right across the street from oasis massage making it a good combination, but go to oasis before dinner since they close at 6pm. also be aware that machu pichu is closed on mondays. if you forget, there is supposed to be another peruvian place somewhere across the street (on the same side as oasis) that is supposed to be pretty good too, though i've never been there.

Prolijo
07-07-05, 19:07
I know where Tinjo is, but it would be helpful for the people that don't to put some sort of cross streets for an address. Otherwise you get 5 posts, "Where is that at"...Jaimito, I hate to keep busting your balls, but if you know where it is and took the time to post that why didn't you also tell everyone exactly where it was?

Pluto2, thanks for reposting my posts from the general thread in this more appropriate place.

I'll leave it to others for now to post reviews of the many places I've just listed (as well as others), but I will add a few comments to some of the posts already made concerning a few of those places.

Sun Devil mentioned Tin Jo, Bakea and the Soda Peru. He told you where the Soda was and about its proximity to Zona Blue. Don Papi add in where Tin Jo was located. Bakea is located of Ave 7 y Calle 13. For our geographically challenged brothers (GCB), if you head up the street from the HDR going towards the park, bang a right and continue going through the park past the yellow metal building the A7 C13 intersection will be on the far corner of that Park (Espana). That is roughly the same direction as the Sportsmens Lodge and Cafe Mundo (another one of my favorite SJ restaurants).

Also for you GCB's, here is a little more descriptive directions for Tin Jo. Head down the street from the HDR past the Ave. 2 (major traffic route), take a left when you get to the church and go one block. Incidentally, you should find the new argentinean steakhouse on that corner (Calle 9 Ave 4). Take a right and head down Calle 9 and you should find Tin Jo (and Don Wang) about 2 blocks on your left. IDEM and Eros are 1 block past that making an IDEM massage session and a Tin Jo dinner another good combo package.

My own take on Tin Jo is that, like many "pan-asian" restaurants, they try to do too many things and as a result they do none of them very well. Don't get me wrong, the food is good, just don't expect anything as good as the better restaurants back home in Chinatown. What you're really paying for a Tin Jo (and pay you will since it is very pricey by SJ standards) is a luxurious and exotic ambiance and attentive service. It makes for a nice place to splurge.

One can walk to all these places though many would recommend you take a cab particularly at night. If going by cab to Tin Jo you will have to go 2-3 blocks past the church before cutting over to Calle 9 and backtracking because of the one-way streets. My own recommendation is to walk to IDEM in the late afternoon, have a session walk the one block back to Tin Jo for dinner and then take a cab back to the Gulch after that.

As far as the Princesa Marina, there is not much I can add. Coqui summed it up pretty well. Good cheap seafood. I can't give you exact directions but most cabbies should know where it is and you WILL need to take a cab.

Prolijo
07-07-05, 19:11
They should make it easier to edit your posts here. In my last post I said that Tin Jo and Don Wang were on the left side of Calle 9. I meant to write that they were on the right side. Sorry about that.

Prolijo
07-07-05, 19:57
While I'm at it here is a reprint of a couple of my posts at CRT (incidentally, there are many more by myself and many many others at that site):

"The main thing that makes sodas special is that they're always dirt cheap. Sometimes the food can be pretty good too, but usually not so special that it would be worth making a special trip across town for. VB can stop off at Tapias on his way in from Escazu. But for most CRT'ers, why take a 500 colone taxi ride each way for a 1000 colone meal. I suggest popping into any reasonably clean looking place you pass by and discovering your own little gems. I used to grab a Tico breakfast for a buck at a little hole-in-the-wall just up the street from the DR. Unfortunately it has since "upgraded" to a gay fern bar and pricier antojito joint called the Morazon Cafe. Chelles isn't bad, but the food isn't special. What makes Chelles such a great place is that it is open 24 hours, making it a great place to stop off for a late snack or an early breakfast on your way back from the BM to the Prez. Many of the other sodas have irregular hours, many closed on sundays, some not open for dinner etc. Another area that is known for having a concentration of good cheap sodas is the area just south of Parque Central. Finally, the place that Kotigre was referring to is the Nuevo Esmeralda. It is a well known Mariachi hang-out. I think it may be referred to in some guidebooks at a different older location hence the "Nuevo" part of their name."

"Okay, I should've said usually or nearly always dirt cheap. If one doesn't mind paying a little extra there's another place in the Gulch that gets little mention around here but which I'd highly recommend. I'm not sure if Restaurant Criolitto qualifies as a soda but it's definitely a Tico joint. I believe they close at 6-ish, but if you go at noon you'll find the place literally packed with Ticos on their lunch hour. Its a big place, larger than most sodas. I usually try to get there early or go a little after 1PM in order to miss most of the mid-day rush and try to get a seat in the back courtyard next to the AVIARY. For me, the setting is what makes this place worth the slightly higher than soda prices but the lunch specials are a pretty good deal anyway. For 2000-2500 colones one can get soup, a main course consisting of some sort of meat with rice and beans or vegetables, dessert and a drink. the last time I went I had a filet mignon, not the best cut of meat but for $5 bucks what can you expect. It was still pretty good. For those not familiar with this place it is on Ave 7 between Calle 7y9 (on the block halfway between NF and Morazon Park).

Also in the category of not quite Sodas,one should consider various foodcourts as good places to go for cheap lunches or even dinner. Of course they have a few of the US chain places, but they also have places that are uniquely Costa Rican. I've had some really good meals at the food court at the San Pedro Mall. If you go with some buddies you can each get different dishes at your choice of food stalls and then sit back and check out the chicas all around you. If you go with a "novia", you can get in an inexpensive meal and a little window shopping or even buy a few items for her and still walk away with a few shekels in your pocket and girl that is probably just as happy as if you took her to some expensive restaurant.

Back in the Gulch, there's a new food court across the street from Mariscar called Plaza Venida which I haven't tried but looks very promising. Probably a dozen or so different places to choose from inside and one can get a seat at a table along the rail of the second floor balcony that could give the News Cafe a run for its money in terms of chica watching. The News Cafe is great but the prime seats are often taken and there's the problem of the beggars that are always hounding you, which can't happen on a 2nd floor balcony. If the Rail is all "full-up", one might consider going across the street some time."

Jaimito Cartero
07-08-05, 01:33
Jaimito, I hate to keep busting your balls, but if you know where it is and took the time to post that why didn't you also tell everyone exactly where it was?

I know where it's at, but do not know the street locations. There is a bit of a difference. It is out of my neighborhood, and I've only been to it twice. Once while waiting for Idem to open and another with some family.

Trust me, I've spent almost 3 years in the last 16 in CR, and I still don't know a lot of the streets. I may be able to drive there, but since many of the numbers are non-existant it's not like you can pull out a Thomas guide and find them.

Your last post was much more constructive.

Tasty1
07-08-05, 01:43
I was surprised that Jackson has started a thread of "places to eat." Seems to be unique thread only on San Jose. As far as I am concerned only thing I care about eating in San Jose is some sweet Latin pussy. However I did eat some great Italain food, more than once, at a semi-fancy place, with my g.f. of the day at Cafe Mediterranae (? spelling). It is called cafe but is a restaurant with table cloths and so on. Good pasta, fish, and great selection of wine.

KYJ
07-10-05, 14:28
Tin Jo is located just a few doors north of Calle 11 and Avenedia 8. Across the street and South is Idem.

The new complex called Plaza Venida has entrances across the street and slightly up the block from the Presidente, and is multi leveled with another entrance across from the New York bar. If you stuck you head out of the Hotel Del Rey you should be able to see the entrance over the heads of the beggars and cigar sellers.

It has several nice cafes and cafeteria type places inside, reasonable priced. One is Italian style food, another seafood, another home cooked meals featuring chicken and rice and beans. Complete meals with drink should be about 2000 to 3000 colonies, or about five dollars.

One old reliable is the KFC located near the Presidente. Regular or extra crispy, just like at home. Take out or eat in. Menu, food, and prices are almost identical to the USA.

Coquí
07-10-05, 16:43
Tasty 1

I agree with you on "Cafe Mediterraneo". It is an excellent choice. It is located on " Carretera a Pavas, in front of Banco Banex" PN: 290-5850. The owners are Italian. I went there with a chica from DR and was so impressed with their food that asked for a business card.

There are two other places I like to mention. One is a chiken place on Calle 1 Bet. Ave 1 & Ave 3 on the east side of the street. They cook their chikens rotisery style with wood. It has a yellow sign and is run by chinese. It is far better than Rostipollo at 1/2 the price. The other place is a burger place on Central ave on the south side of the street bet. Ave 9 & 11. They have good burgers and if you go after 2:00 is 2x1 (+/- 850 colones). If you come from Del Rey towards central Ave. turn left on central and it is across the street.

I know, I Know the first priority while in SJ are the Chicas but from time to time you have to eat.....food.....

Good luck.....

Qncterra
09-19-05, 01:24
The name of the Chinese place with rotissarie chciken is El Campesino. I have gone to it for several years. However, whenever I mention it to the locals, they try to send me to RostiPollo. It was mentioned in Frommer's Travel Guide in 1998.

Just straight down past 7th Street Bookstore, past the News Cafe. It's on your left side immediately after crossing Calle 1.

NastyBoy
09-20-05, 03:29
Great report,dude!

So where did you eat?

NB

Lance Manion
09-20-05, 13:23
Great report,dude!

So where did you eat?

NBI can't remember all the girls names! Just redirected the review to the trip report thread. Thanks for the heads up.

Tasty1
09-21-05, 05:37
I enjoyed Tin Jo. Great food and family atmosphere. Close to action but but still feels private.

Went to a place called Ram Luna. Long taxi ride but it is located on the top of the hill and at night time you have bird's eye view of San Jose with lights. Very romantic place. I went with my special Columbiana. Ordered french champagne etc. Total bill was US$148, just like in US but worth it, if you can afford it. It is not a place to take any girl but someone real special.

There is another place like that (did not try) called Monastario. It is supposed to have similar great view and food.

Prolijo
09-21-05, 06:27
Tasty,
I don't know how you could have spent that much at Ram Luna. You or your ColOMbiana must have ordered the most expensive items on the menu or got plastered on expensive imported liquor. When I've been there it barely ever cost half that much per person. Wednesday nights the fixed price is $28/pp including all you can eat and drink and cab fare shouldn't cost more than $20 roundtrip.

Migrant One
09-24-05, 00:57
The name of the Chinese place with rotissarie chciken is El Campesino. I have gone to it for several years. However, whenever I mention it to the locals, they try to send me to RostiPollo. It was mentioned in Frommer's Travel Guide in 1998.

Just straight down past 7th Street Bookstore, past the News Cafe. It's on your left side immediately after crossing Calle 1.

I will also add my praises for this chicken, roasted over the CR hardwoods!! Excellent and cheap. I stumbled across it while nursing a hangover and between the chicken, salsa and cerveza I was fine after!!

Left Fielder
10-12-05, 00:28
Here's my guide to restaurants in San José. Much of it is cut and paste from sites like Roughguides/etc, but it definitely served its purpose for me a few years ago. Sadly, I spent most of my time at News Café (the restaurant of the Hotel Presidente) which was excellent - in its own right. Enjoy!

---------------(RESTAURANTS)---------------
Antojitos Cancún, in the Centro Comercial Cocorí, 50m west of the Fuente de la Hispanidad roundabout, Los Yoses. Cheap, filling, Mexican food, not wholly authentic, but good for late-night snacks and cheap all-you-can-eat buffets. There's also draught beer and an outside terrace where you can sit and watch the 4WDs whizz round the fountain, plus live Mariachi on Fri and Sat from 10pm. Daily 11am-midnight.

Cocina de Leña, Centro Comercial El Pueblo (tel 255-1360). Típico food, superbly prepared and served in rustic surroundings with big wooden tables, gingham tablecloths and menus on paper bags. Most meals are cooked in a wood oven - the succulent chicken dishes are recommended. Good for a quiet, upmarket night out. Dinner for two costs around US$35.

Grano d'Oro, Casa 251, C 3, Av 2/4 (tel 253-3322). Expensive restaurant with beautifully spare decor and a changing menu. Breakfast (from 6am) includes fresh fruit, eggs benedict and banana macadamia pancakes. Soups are excellent - try the classic black bean or corn chowder. Among the main courses, the beef is consistently delicious, as is white sea bass breaded with toasted macadamia nuts. Amazing desserts, including tiramisu and strawberry cream cheese.

Il Pomodoro, San Pedro, 150m east of the entrance to UCR. One of the best pizza places in the city, with large pizzas - including a great vegetarian special - and cheap draught beer served in mugs and pitchers in a large and cheerful restaurant popular with the university crowd. Around US$18 for two.

Machu Picchu, C 32, Av 1 (tel 222-7384). A San José favourite, and the only truly South American place in town (the velvet llamas on the walls help) - though the appetizers, including ceviche and Peruvian bocas, tend to be more interesting than main dishes. Around $30 for two w/beer or wine. Closed Sun.

Marisqueria La Princesa, north side of Parque la Sabana. One of San José's best restaurants, though it doesn't look much from the outside, with very cheap seafood - the shrimps with garlic (camarones con ajillo) are about half the price you'll find elsewhere.

Mazorca, 200m east and 100m north of San Pedro church. Macrobiotic restaurant just east of the entrance to UCR with homely, simple decor and menu (lunch is US$5; takeouts available). Tasty bread, soups, peanut-butter sandwiches and macrobiotic cakes make a welcome change from greasy. Closed Sun.

Tin-Jo, C 11, Av 6/8 (tel 221-7605). Quiet, popular and fairly formal Chinese-Thai place - the lemongrass soup, bean-thread salad in lime juice and coconut milk curries are particularly good. Dinner with wine is around US$40 for two; skip the alcohol, or go for lunch, and you'll get away with half that.

---------------(SODAS)---------------
La Reina de Pupusas, Av 1, C 5/7, opposite Cine Omni on the corner of Parking Gigante. Salvadorean foodstall serving great snacks, including tortillas with frijoles molidos (refried beans), cabbage, mixed pickles & sausage or meat and cheese. Tortillas are large enough to be a meal in themselves, though messy.

La Vasconia, Av 1, C 3/5. Enormous menu featuring cheap breakfasts and lunch specials, including fairly cheap ceviche. The place to go to get off the tourist trail and mingle with stressed office workers.

Parillada Argentina, C 21, Av 6, 100m east of the Supreme Court. Watch the Argentine owners prepare exquisite chicken and beef or mozzarella, tomato and oregano empanadas (US0.75 each) to take away, or join the lawyers from the court next door and tuck into a massive lunch - the mini-parillada, with succulent beef, sausage, potato and salad (US$4) is quite enough for those with anything less than an Argentina-sized stomach. Open Mon-Fri lunch only.

Vishnu, Av 1, C 1/3. Obligatory pit stop for anybody visiting San José, this cheery vegetarian place serves delicious platos del día with brown rice, vegetables and soups, while the vegetarian club sandwich is a meal in itself at a bargain US$1.50. Fruit plates with yoghurt are a perennial favourite, and a plato del día, refresco and café con leche will set you back about US$4.

---------------(CAFES)---------------
Café La Maga, inside the Centro Commercial Cocorí, just before the Fuente de la Hispanidad roundabout, Los Yoses. One of the most popular places in town day or night, this café-bar doubles as an art gallery and stocks an enormous array of magazines dealing with Latin American/Spanish art, culture.

Café Parisienne, Gran Hotel Costa Rica, Av 2, C 3/5. Closest thing in San José to a European street café, complete w/wrought-iron chairs and trussed-up waiters, this is a wonderful place to sit and have coffee/cake on a sunny day. It's also one of the few establishments in the city that does continental breakfast.

Café Ruiseñor, Av 2, C 3/5. Coffee, fruit drinks, sandwiches and fantastic cakes served in a tranquil mint-green setting: the tables by the window are good for watching the goings-on in the Plaza de la Cultura.

La Esquina del Café, C 3 bis, Av 9. Small, quiet, aromatic café with excellent coffee, freshly roasted beans and friendly staff who will answer any questions about the entire coffee process, from bean to cup. Also serves good cappuccino with proper frothed milk, tasty desserts (you can try before you buy) and lunches of soups, salads and sandwiches. They also sell little bags of beans from Costa Rica's various coffee-producing regions.

Ruiseñor, 150m east of the Automercado in Los Yoses. Upmarket restaurant with pleasant outdoor terrace and European-style service and atmosphere.

Allover
03-10-07, 06:14
15 minutes by taxi from the Gulch in a nice area. Good beef, chicken dishes. Pricey at $20 per person but a very good place. Very nice place with good service.

MJG Dogs
03-10-07, 07:28
This restraunt I belive is two blocks from Oasis. It is excellent value and you get a LOT of food. They have a sample of plate that can feed two or three people that is off the charts.

Kid Brooklyn
03-11-07, 18:42
Here are my fave restaurants in SJ:

1. La Esquina de Buenos Aires (Argentinian steak house)--excellent steaks, I recommend "lomito portabello" (tenderloin in creamy mushroom sauce), dinner w/ app & drink $20-30
tel: 223-1909
address: Detras de la iglesia de la Soledad

2. Delicias Del Peru (aka Soda Peru)--very good selections, good sea bass dishes, shrimp dishes, and soups, lunch $4-6
tel: 222-9249
hours: Mon-Sat 11am-4pm only
location: up the block from Zona Blue, yellow building, just before the corner

3. JR Ribs--Texas-style BBQ rib place, weekday lunch specials
location: directly to the right of the entrance to the zoo in Barrio Amon, walking distance from Sportsmens Lodge, Amon Plaza Hotel, Zona Blue, and New Fantasy

4. Hamburgery Factory--very good hamburgers in SJ, value meal $4-5
location: I think (not sure) it's on Avenida Central, near Hotel Presidente

5 Del Mar Restaurant--ONLY for ceviche (best in town), everything else there is ok, but overpriced
hours: 24/7
price: ceviche 3,000¢

Stevewxly
11-29-07, 22:22
Joe & Karens Bar/Restaurant

One block South of the Presidente Hotel.

Small American owned bar with real good food that is very cheap.

I had a BLT on white toast, with french fries for ony 900 c one evening, and then I had the Chicken Fijitas with FF, and asked for rice on the side....also 900 c

They also have other bocas type eats like hamburgers with FF
Ham & Cheeze sandwiches, etc. - most all of them are priced at only
900 c......less than $2.00 each.

If you were 3 blocks North and 1 block East at the Del Rey....and their Del Mar restaurant ....you would pay 4 times this price for the very same type of eats.

I like to look around the Del Rey - Blue Marlin....but I rarely ever spend any money there......on drinks, eats, or the over priced chicas.

Mixed drinks are fairly inexpensive and soft drinks are like 500-600 c each.

The owner Joe is married to a local Tica.....Karen. I talked to him one evening, and he said he had been in CR for 18 years. He met his gal Karen when she was 18 yrs old....18 yrs ago...been there ever since. Nice guy, and a neat little bar-restaurant to eat or hang out with other Gringos.

Give it a try.......

Steve

Qncterra
04-14-08, 01:05
There are 3 restaurants (small chain) called Princesa Marina. There is one at Sabana norte another in Moravia and a third one that I do not know the location. It has a great selection at incredible prices. If you have the time it is a most. A tico friend introduced me to the place. Any taxi can take you there. They prepare a deep fried de-bone fish in 3 sizes that is great. Their lobster is a great dish for under $12.00.

Good luck.....

Just got back from La Princesa Marina in Sabana. The whole seabass is as good as ever. Also had the ceviche there and it's great also.

Superman06
12-17-08, 23:39
I ate breakfast at several different places on this trip. Soda Amon was good with a combo of eggs, really good bread and pork with a delicious sauce. I did McDonalds a few times but it was slow and order always wrong. Holiday Inn breakfast buffet had a nice selection of fruits, rolls, meats, cereal and omlet bar. But $16.50 is pricey for breakdfast IMHO. Del Mar has a nice buffet for $10.50. Pretty much the same setup as Holiday Inn, though a lot better bang for the buck. For those who want a Tico style breakfast; all the mentioned eateries had plantains, beans and rice with tortillas available for breakfast.

Markinno
12-21-08, 23:22
El Ritorno is an excellent Italian restaurant with great veal and fish dishes. I've eaten there twice and it is a hit with everyone that I've talked to that has eaten there. It's about a five minute cab ride from Del Ray and Sportsmens.

Cafe Mundo is also a popular spot with locals and gringos. I didn't eat there but it gets good reviews from all that I've talked to. The food there is varied with seafood, steak, etc.

Mr Jetsetter
12-22-08, 22:22
Truly a nice place to eat, with a varied menu and a very pleasant vibe. I like to eat afuera in either the front or back patio sections. My favorites are the whole wheat seafood spaghetti and the anchovy, artichoke and black olive pizza. The coffee is strong and fabulous, the best I've had in CR, and the dessert menu is excellent as well. A great place to take a lady.

Cafe Mundo is just a 1-2 minute walk from the Sportsmens Lodge. Take a right as you exit the Lodge and head left up the hill for a short block on Avenida 9. Cafe Mundo is on the left, on the corner of Avenida 9 and Calle 15.

Toadtamer2
12-22-08, 22:32
Went to Cafe Mundo once and the service sucks.

Walked out and down the block to JR for ribs.

Lorenzo
12-22-08, 22:43
Truly a nice place to eat, with a varied menu and a very pleasant vibe. I like to eat afuera in either the front or back patio sections. My favorites are the whole wheat seafood spaghetti and the anchovy, artichoke and black olive pizza. The coffee is strong and fabulous, the best I've had in CR, and the dessert menu is excellent as well. A great place to take a lady.

Cafe Mundo is just a 1-2 minute walk from the Sportsmens Lodge. Take a right as you exit the Lodge and head left up the hill for a short block on Avenida 9. Cafe Mundo is on the left, on the corner of Avenida 9 and Calle 15. You are absolutely right about Cafe Mundo. The food and ambience are excellent. However, I wouldn't recommend taking a chica from SL there, at least based on my one experience doing so. The menu was way over her head and she ended up ordering the only thing on the menu that she recognized, which was a chicken sandwich. Better to go to Cafe Mundo by yourself or with some friends, and take the chicas to McDonalds or KFC. They'll be thrilled.

L

Dr Howard
01-03-09, 21:57
You will not be disapointed tico breckfast and lunch.

Location around the corner from Zona Blue aka HLH.

Mangera
01-13-09, 14:02
Anyone know if the one located by Paseo Colon where the KFC is located, is still open for buss.? I was there a couple of months ago, and it was shut down. Thanks!

Mangera
01-21-09, 04:39
Anyone know if the one located by Paseo Colon where the KFC is located, is still open for buss.? I was there a couple of months ago, and it was shut down. Thanks!

Just got back from the CR. Yes, they are open on mondays. They were closed on my previous trip for some repair that was going on.

Dan D Dick
03-08-09, 16:16
Visited SJO a dozen times last year. My little buddy & I usually hit La Esquina de Buenos Aires first, though our favorite waiter Marco has returned to Colombia. It's easy walking distance from the Centro area (Calle 11) though after dark my friend much prefers a taxi ("it's San Jose!"). For taxi directions it's just north of Tin Ho or Bar Idem. All taxi drivers will know where one of those three is located.

We also hit the Hotel Costa Rica, just across from the Teatro, also easy walking distance & pretty safe even at night. The Corvina de Ajo is very good. (Ave Central/Ave Segundo @ Calle 3)

We usually hit the Hotel Grano de Oro in the Paseo Colon area as well. You'll need a taxi for that one but it's usually only about C2,000. Again, the Corvina is excellent.

The Balcon de Marisco in the Curridibad area is simple but good food. Expect a C5,000 taxi ride outbound M-F because of traffic and half that for the return. Lobster is good as is the Corvina.

After the issues at the Princess Marina restaurants my friend has no interest in returning, though it wouldn't bother me a bit. There are several in town & I believe they have all reopened (after having sickened hundreds...). Similar to El Balcon de Marisco these are simple affairs with good sea food.

Finally, Jurgens near the Mall San Pedro is very good. It's a German restaurant & the pricing is about the same - maybe a little less - that the two hotels. If the taxi driver doesn't know where it is, have him turn left at the Suburu dealer on the was to the mall, then left again (I believe). It's easy walking distance from the Suburu though I wouldn't recommend it at night.

The French restaurant (Hotel Belvedere?) and the Italian restaurant (in the Italian building) were, to us, simply okay and not really worth a return. the French restaurant was a little too pricey in my opinion.

Any other suggestions for **fine** dining in the Centro area? Nuestra Terra on Avenida Segundo was - to me - over priced & we'll likely not return.

Oh...if you're a Starbucks fan the Caffe Lattes at the Spoon restaurants (Ave Central just a few hundred feet West of Hotel Presidente, opposite side & in the Mall San Pedro, 2nd floor I believe) are a good substitute for the Starbucks Frappucinos and is usually all I have for lunch while my gal gets lasagna or a sandwich.

/Dan D.

CherchezFemme
04-18-09, 01:44
La Esquina has the best steak Ive ever had in my life, I just posted about it in the Reports section.

The steaks there cost from 16-20 $ which is at least 50% less than a similar (yet not as good IMO) steak would cost in the uS.

The carpaccio was great as well, and this is coming from someone who lived in Italy for almost 5 yrs

Esquina is a must go!

Visited SJO a dozen times last year. My little buddy & I usually hit La Esquina de Buenos Aires first, though our favorite waiter Marco has returned to Colombia. It's easy walking distance from the Centro area (Calle 11) though after dark my friend much prefers a taxi ("it's San Jose!"). For taxi directions it's just north of Tin Ho or Bar Idem. All taxi drivers will know where one of those three is located.

We also hit the Hotel Costa Rica, just across from the Teatro, also easy walking distance & pretty safe even at night. The Corvina de Ajo is very good. (Ave Central/Ave Segundo @ Calle 3)

We usually hit the Hotel Grano de Oro in the Paseo Colon area as well. You'll need a taxi for that one but it's usually only about C2,000. Again, the Corvina is excellent.

The Balcon de Marisco in the Curridibad area is simple but good food. Expect a C5,000 taxi ride outbound M-F because of traffic and half that for the return. Lobster is good as is the Corvina.

After the issues at the Princess Marina restaurants my friend has no interest in returning, though it wouldn't bother me a bit. There are several in town & I believe they have all reopened (after having sickened hundreds...). Similar to El Balcon de Marisco these are simple affairs with good sea food.

Finally, Jurgens near the Mall San Pedro is very good. It's a German restaurant & the pricing is about the same - maybe a little less - that the two hotels. If the taxi driver doesn't know where it is, have him turn left at the Suburu dealer on the was to the mall, then left again (I believe). It's easy walking distance from the Suburu though I wouldn't recommend it at night.

The French restaurant (Hotel Belvedere?) and the Italian restaurant (in the Italian building) were, to us, simply okay and not really worth a return. the French restaurant was a little too pricey in my opinion.

Any other suggestions for **fine** dining in the Centro area? Nuestra Terra on Avenida Segundo was - to me - over priced & we'll likely not return.

Oh...if you're a Starbucks fan the Caffe Lattes at the Spoon restaurants (Ave Central just a few hundred feet West of Hotel Presidente, opposite side & in the Mall San Pedro, 2nd floor I believe) are a good substitute for the Starbucks Frappucinos and is usually all I have for lunch while my gal gets lasagna or a sandwich.

Dan D.

Gringo7900
04-22-11, 17:27
15 minutes by taxi from the Gulch in a nice area. Good beef, chicken dishes. Pricey at $20 per person but a very good place. Very nice place with good service.The is the beef, near the New statium in Sabana.

Zedman99
04-01-12, 05:18
La Esquina has the best steak I've ever had in my life, I just posted about it in the Reports section.

The steaks there cost from 16-20 $ which is at least 50% less than a similar (yet not as good IMO) steak would cost in the uS.

The carpaccio was great as well, and this is coming from someone who lived in Italy for almost 5 yrs.

Esquina is a must go!Always go at least twice during my stay-Tin Ho down the block is also excellent for oriental cuisine.

Qncterra
07-23-12, 03:08
The best ceviche that I've had anywhere. Its about 10-15 minutes from downtown in Sabana or a little further in Moravia. My all time favorite is the whole sea bass, without bones. It was surprisingly half empty last Saturday night, and prices have gone up a bit, which may play a role, as well.

UsGrant
02-18-13, 21:34
Stay away from fogo brazil. 75 dollars a person not including tips. Great food but not at these prices.

The Dirty Pirate
02-19-13, 21:06
Stay away from fogo brazil. 75 dollars a person not including tips. Great food but not at these prices.They run half price specials all the time, it's the only time one should go. Be prepared to eat the saltiest meat ever as well.

True Sportsman
04-17-13, 05:17
Truly a nice place to eat, with a varied menu and a very pleasant vibe. I like to eat afuera in either the front or back patio sections. My favorites are the whole wheat seafood spaghetti and the anchovy, artichoke and black olive pizza. The coffee is strong and fabulous, the best I've had in CR, and the dessert menu is excellent as well. A great place to take a lady.Cafe Mundo is just a 1-2 minute walk from the Sportsmens Lodge. Take a right as you exit the Lodge and head left up the hill for a short block on Avenida 9. Cafe Mundo is on the left, on the corner of Avenida 9 and Calle 15.

+1

One Lucky Dogg
05-19-13, 17:20
Cafe Mundo is just a 1-2 minute walk from the Sportsmens Lodge. Take a right as you exit the Lodge and head left up the hill for a short block on Avenida 9. Cafe Mundo is on the left, on the corner of Avenida 9 and Calle 15.

+1Let me just say that Bill at the Sportsman's has good food as well. The prices are right and the food is good. Try the BLT or the Beef Burrito. There daily Casado is good too. Includes rice, beans, salad and choice of chicken, bistake or pork chop for around $6. I usually get the port chop. You know how doggs like bones.

BananaBoat
06-13-13, 06:12
I love Soda Peru for lunch time. Good portion, fair price, and tasty. HLH has a very good selection of good too. I heard they added some stuff like burrito. Can anyone confirm? Dunn Inn is hit and miss for me. Unfortunate that they have a good setup, but the food is inconsistent. Mona Lisa? Bad. They need a new cook. How can they screw up casado? Chicken was so tough. I had hard te cutting with a knife. Colombian place around the corner from Soda Peru is decent for breakfast and lunch. Cheap too.

One Lucky Dogg
07-12-13, 19:06
I had the pleasure of trying the pork chop lunch everyone has been raving about at the La Amistad yesterday. I have seen post from guys staying there but had not tried it myself. My expectations was high. I was not to be disappointed. I never believe the piece of meat was so huge. Smother with a mushroom gravy it was a real delight. I ordered the mash potatos with it and a green salad. I'm a big guy but for some reason, I could no finish it all. What a meal. For those who are staying there all inclusive, you got to try this. If you are not staying there and you are in the San Jose area, stop by. It's a great deal.

O. L. D.

One Lucky Dogg Tours Travel & Transport.

http://oneluckydogg.com

One Lucky Dogg
08-23-13, 17:41
If you have a huge appetite and you are looking for something a little different, might want to try Porky's Bar B Q in Lendora, Santa Ana, just outside of San Jose. Great humongous burger, ribs and Huey's buffalo wings. Ask for it by name. Get 15% off when paying by cash and 10% off via see. See. With you O. L. D. VIP discount card. 2282-5057 is the number.

Bkgee
08-23-13, 23:41
I had the pleasure of trying the pork chop lunch everyone has been raving about at the La Amistad yesterday. I have seen post from guys staying there but had not tried it myself. My expectations was high. I was not to be disappointed. I never believe the piece of meat was so huge. Smother with a mushroom gravy it was a real delight. I ordered the mash potatos with it and a green salad. I'm a big guy but for some reason, I could no finish it all. What a meal. For those who are staying there all inclusive, you got to try this. If you are not staying there and you are in the San Jose area, stop by. It's a great deal.

O. L. D.

One Lucky Dogg Tours Travel & Transport.

http://oneluckydogg.comThere something going on at S. L. On Saturday, and La Amistad on Sunday, Also Hotel little Havana, all next weekend, I will be in town with the boys. I want to hit La amistad for that pork Chop dinner, to see you around.

UsGrant
10-27-13, 20:37
For cheap! At the Key Largo about 7-7:30pm they bring out some food for $7.50! They have, depending on the night, pork chops, chicken or fish, rice beans and a salad! When we went they had white marlin!

LatinaLover#1
09-10-14, 04:28
Anyone know if the one located by Paseo Colon where the KFC is located, is still open for buss.? I was there a couple of months ago, and it was shut down. Thanks!This is about 5 years too late but the answer is yes!