PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Travel Plans

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Member #2041
08-07-05, 02:23
LittleBigMan,

I never keep a balance on the CC I use to get mileage. I probably put 30K per year of business and personal expenses on my cards annually, and I get flyer miles on all of that. Total cost, for approximately $500 of mileage that gets converted into tickets annually, is the $60 annual fee, and not a penny more.

If you know how to use credit cards cost-effectively, the mileage cards are really good deals. I pay my balances in full every month, religiously.

I also keep a large cash advance balance on other cards which are specifically offerring 0% interest and no fee for account balance transfers. That is roughly a $10K balance, on which I put the money in an interest bearing account, where it earns perhaps $300-$400 during the time I am running the balance and paying 0% for it. During the time I hold that balance, I will NEVER make ANY purchases using that card. And I will pay that balance off in it's entirely the month before the 0% promo rate ends.

If you know how to manage your money and your credit, you can effectively use these cards to get free tickets, and free cash advances on which YOU earn interest, and not pay a PENNY of interest yourself on these cards.

The credit card programs are designed to tempt you to NOT do this, and to make transactions which cost you lots of interest expenses - but that doesn't mean you have to do it that way. Smart, responsible people who know how to manage their credit can and do make money on 0% interest balances, and get genuinely free tickets with these cards.

Member #2041
08-07-05, 02:30
I should add, that I use both American Express and Diners Club to get free miles with a broad range of airlines, Including American, United, Delta, Continental, and all of their partners.

Both of my LAX to BKK trips have been done using Delta Miles for a Korean Air coach Ticket (each worth around $800, each bought for 60K miles and $24 in taxes). My Costa Rica trips (tickets worth ~$375) have all been done using 35K of Continental or United miles and $18 of taxes. Etc, etc, etc.

You get the idea. I have never paid a dime of Credit Card interest in my life. I do pay $180 in annual fees on my various cards. And I get roughly 4X that amount back in benefits annually.

JuiceSpike
08-07-05, 14:47
Northwest has one of the worst customer servise... They are an annoying bunch of rude *******es except for Asian routes where they are better looking and friendly. First class is always good but coach is shit.

I never had problem in the Tokyo hub where King Monger lives... Actually I like the lay over in Tokyo for 1 hour where you can see a few nice looking women...

Freeler
08-07-05, 15:12
Juice,

NW are in an alliance with Air France-KLM aren't they?
That would be an explanation why "They are an annoying bunch of rude *******es".

Jaimito Cartero
08-07-05, 15:39
I also have lots of milage on NWA, but try to use it to get a free ticket on them. You will have to plan a year in advance and it still would be a miracle if you can use your miles! There has been many complaints about NWA with their World perk miles! You being a World perk member I'm sure you heard about the rule buster!

As with any frequent flyer program, they're going to treat the upper elite levels (Gold or Plat) much better than the non elite or silver elite levels. I've been plat for a few years and really enjoy the perks and service I get through them.

Even though I fly on coach tickets, I get op-uped to BKK about 25% of the time on at least one leg of the trip from the west coast. No miles, no extra money or anything.

Rewards can be tougher if you don't plan ahead, but I have pretty good luck for the most part. You really have to know how the whole system works to use them correctly. I've got almost enough miles for a round the world ticket in Biz Class, so I'll be setting up a whole years worth of mongering on the one ticket. (With cheap return tickets, so I still keep my status)

One thing to remember about the NW fares, is that they have a lot of discount coupons out there. You can easily find a $100 coupon off a fare on eBay ($15-$20 each), or if your plane is delayed they give them out to you. (I got 3 $100 off, and 2 $50 off on my last trip to BKK). These certs will apply to any fare, except for ones that show up with a big star next to them on the NW site.

Jaimito Cartero
08-07-05, 15:48
Currently Northwest has a contract with MCI, if you sign up for their plans they give you miles for each minute you call overseas but when you break down all the fees and other charges it is not worth getting the miles. I have for the last 3 months switch to phone cards only and I saving a bundle of money each month. There's always a catch or a scam!

NW has just ended the contract with MCI. If your already signed up, you can continue, but not any new signups.

On another note, if you're having problems getting awards to BKK, check this little idea out. Find a cheap ($500-$600) RT ticket to Japan. Then use 20k or 30k (Biz class) to get a ticket to BKK. I was just ready to do this earlier this year, when they finally released some $700 tickets out of LAX.

This also works really good if you want to check out Bali too. I think it costs 35K for a NW Biz/FC award on Continental out of Tokyo which is a total steal for this long ass flight.

Northwest only has FC for it's domestic and North American flights. Everything else is Biz Class.

If you're plat you don't pay any extra for booking on the phone or changing your award tickets.

JuiceSpike
08-07-05, 16:19
JC is right on the "money". Good advice.

juice

JuiceSpike
08-07-05, 16:48
Yep, NW has many associations with various airlines in which you can sometimes use your miles or get miles from those flights... I have flown in Europe with KLM and that service was good compared to the US flights...

Air France just went over the end of the runway in Toronto last week so I will stay away from them until they figure out how to use the breaks....:D

juice

LittleBigMan
08-07-05, 17:05
JC, and JuiceSpike,

JC, you really got the game down. I often wonder as a member of Northwest WorldPerk Club that when I travel and wait in the boarding area passing time who might be a ISG board member. LBM, might be sitting next to one and would never know. As JC indicated there are ways to use those miles if you just play along with their game and be creative like JC. But right now I'm just collecting miles and using my member card just for pre-boarding early and once in a while I get bumped up to Business for P.R., Since I know most of the agents in SFO, with my miles I usually get Business (P.R.) out of SFO/Narita only. Last trip in May I got bumped to Business from Narita/SFO.
Out of SFO, if I do not get bumped to business exit row 29 is his regular seat.

JC, I quit MCI 3 month ago and I thought it was funny that they didn't contact me by phone and mail to try to get my business back. A few years ago when they switch to Sprint, MCI offer me 25,000 miles to come back but it was for American, United, Continental Airlines. I choose American and I'm short 25 miles for a free trip to Hawaii.

Ever watch the business passengers trying to board in Narita for the BKK flight, the first few always pass through the boarding gate and thereafter are always the first few to get search again. Always allow at least 10 to pass before entering!

LBM

JuiceSpike
08-07-05, 17:19
LBM,

"Ever watch the business passengers trying to board in Narita for the BKK flight, the first few always pass through the boarding gate and thereafter are always the first few to get search again. Always allow at least 10 to pass before entering!"

So true, I never go in first. On my last trip they stopped an old woman in a wheel chair... How pathetic is that. And she was Japanese too.

juice

Coma Boy
08-07-05, 17:21
Why do they only search the first ten passengers?

Fly for Thai
08-07-05, 22:41
Managing miles and working freebies with credit cards may work for some. Here is another option. Work for an airline. Or have someone close to you work at an airline, like a parent or a child. Even if you or they work part time only, YOU can get nearly free tickets. There are lots of different jobs to be had at an airline. You don't have to work at a large hub airport like ORD or ATL or LAX. You can work any airline that serves your little local airport. It doesn't matter if you fly the aircraft or if you clean it. You can get fantastic travel benefits. And if you put in a set number of years, you'll have travel benefits for LIFE!

I fly for a Delta wholly owned. I flew (as a pasenger) from CVG (Cincinnati) to ATL to NRT to BKK to HKT (Phuket) round trip. I paid for only the BKK to HKT leg. And that was on what is called an ID90. Total cost was around $60. I flew business class on Delta from ATL to NRT. Which is the best way to go. Spend the longest leg possible in seats that actually allow you to sleep. When you get to NRT you'll feel so much more human then if you flew coach. I flew on United back from NRT to ORD. Only economy plus this time. Still better then coach but not by much.

The most important skills when traveling like this are to be flexible, patient and keep a cool head. You'll be stand-by on every leg. But if you chose your flights carefully and leave yourself plenty of options you can travel cheaper, farther and faster then you ever imagined. There is plenty of small print with travel like this. Your mileage may vary. If you would like to learn more send me a message.

JuiceSpike
08-08-05, 02:04
When you are boarding the plane they do a random check on people. If you are the first one or in the first group of people they might select you to be searched.

juice

LittleBigMan
08-08-05, 02:57
JuiceSpike,

I always have a good laugh. There is always a guy that for some reason that is so eager to get on first usually a guy with a lap top and a big carry-on that should have been checked in! He goes through the gate and get pull over when I walk by a few minutes later he has all his things on the table, shoes off, the person doing the inspection has glove and mask on and going through those dirty mongering underwear and pulling out the box of condoms!

Heh Heh,
LBM

LittleBigMan
08-08-05, 03:22
Fly for Thai,

That is not 100% true, if you work for Delta and fly Delta that might be the case but if you're flying on a pass on another carrier you should know that the fare is base on the highest (Y) to that destination. Oversea fares are the worse for example: To SFO/BKK the full price ticket is around $2,200.00 (Y) this is the fare you would be charged if you had walked up and wanted a ticket at the last minute. If you pay 90% I.D. your cost for an airline employee would be $220.00, still cheap but as you said you need to be very flexible. Now if you work for that airline you of course have a better chance of getting first or business but if you don't forget it! You got to get dress up and kiss a lot of ass and wait around. Overseas flights are the worse. Standby on Northwest from Narita/Bkk is usually overbooked and if you don't get on you have to overnight in Japan. The money you have to spend overnight in Japan and the lost time to me is not worth it! I know employee's that had to get home to work or get fired pay 800.00 USD just to get out of Bkk to Narita.

In the past when I had more time and was more flexible I would obtain comp's
letters from other Airlines managers for free trips to Hong Kong or Japan and then I would purchase the rest on my own!

Working for an airline is not what it use to be, if you really work for an US carrier you really can't debate this statement! If you are a Delta pilot you should know that you took a huge pay cut to prevent Delta from giving your pension to the government yet you will again bail them out even if they ask you for another 25% because once you pension is given to the PBGC, your 100,000 pension is gone because 45 to 46,000 is the max you can collect and you won't be able to touch it until you are 65 without a penalty! If Delta goes the same path as United and US Airways you pension is done!

Good luck,
LBM

Fly for Thai
08-09-05, 01:02
The problem with posting things on these boards is that people don't read what is written. I didn't intend for this response to be so long but LBM's last paragraph got right under my skin.

I'm going to start with your last paragraph because it is farthest off the mark. I did not say I fly for Delta. I said I fly for a "Delta wholly owned." If you don't know what the difference is, ask. I never said flying for an airline is what it used to be. Things were better in the old days. But I'm living in the now and making the best of it.

I don't have a pension plan beyond a 401K and my personal investments. What happens to Delta pilots and their pensions is not my concern beyond the concern I share for all my fellow pilots. I wish all who work in this industry a safe and profitable future. Since Delta owns my company I do hope that Delta can start showing a profit in the near future. With fuel prices being what they are I don't know if that is possible. But that is neither here nor there. If Delta goes under my life will get...interesting. It's been interesting in the past. I'll make the best of it if it gets interesting again.

I said I paid for an ID90 from BKK to HKT, which is a hell of a lot cheaper then paying for an ID90 from SFO to BKK. It is a much shorter flight. It's a domestic flight (within Thailand). I think it's common sense that the farther you fly the more you pay.

The Y fare example you gave would not apply in all cases to all people. At my airline, a parent can fly for free on any Delta or Delta Connection flight. He or she only pays for taxes on the international portion. Children and "companions" have very similar benefits. I just called my pass bureau and was told that such taxes run from $30-$60 for a flight from PIT-NRT (not non-stop, there are no non-stop PIT to NRT flights). I didn't push for an exact number because I didn't wish to waste her time with such triviality. Travelnet shows that a buddy pass would cost $180 one way from ATL to NRT. That's a big chunk of the trip for cheap.

Some people don't mind wearing appropriate clothing while in public. Do you really need to wear a tank top, torn blue jeans or flip flops in first class or business class? What some might call 'kissing ass' I call being pleasant and not being a burden to the CSR and flight crews who are working my flight.

Here is how I work around overbooked flights. Let's take your NRT-BKK example. I fly in on Delta which arrives in NRT in time to catch a couple JAL flights to BKK. If both the later United and Northwest flights look like they are overbooked I'll use an ID90 and fly on a JAL flight. If I don't use the ID90 I can return it for a full refund. I can't remember the exact price of that ID90 but I think it was in the ballpark of $200 round trip on my last trip. I didn't use it. I flew on United for free by using their jumpseat form. They call it an OCM at their airline (other crew member). If anyone is taking notes you can't fly in the actual jumpseat unless you work for that airline or your airline is part of the CASS system. CASS is still new and airlines are still being added to it. My airline has not yet joined. Basically, an airline has to ensure that you are a current and qualified pilot with an approved carrier before it will allow you to sit in the jumpseat. When I travel by using the jumpseat privilege I actually end up riding in the back. Exactly where is dependent on availability and Captain - and to a certain extent Lead Flight Attendant - prerogative. Flight attendants have similar (but more limited) benefits. Fewer airlines allow other carriers flight attendants to use jumpseat benefits. Dispatchers have similar benefits.

If I got stuck in NRT, the Earth would not cease to spin. I would use a shower room at the airport. I might rent a day room for a couple hours to take a nap. I would buy an ID90 for the first flight out to BKK in the morning. I would hang out in the airport overnight. Maybe watch a movie on my laptop. Probably try and get some sleep. The morning would come and I would eventually get there. It would suck. But you have to have the mindset that getting there is part of the adventure. It's like a game. If this happens - I'm going to do that. The more you travel the better you get at adapting to things beyond your control. The better you get at making allowances. I would never try to travel back from BKK to MCO for example the day before I needed to be at work. Golden rule when traveling as a non-rev: Never use non-rev privileges when you absolutely have to be somewhere at a specific time.

I'll finish with your opening statement:
"That is not 100% true, if you work for Delta and fly Delta that might be the case but if you're flying on a pass on another carrier you should know that the fare is base on the highest (Y) to that destination."

My response: Did you read the last few sentences of my entry? "There is plenty of small print with travel like this. Your mileage may vary. If you would like ..."
I'll try to be more explicit. This kind of travel can be tricky. It is not for the easily stressed or discouraged. The savings are out there. But unlike the LBFM in BKK they will not jump into your lap and wiggle!

1Ball
08-09-05, 01:30
Interesting discussion. I am not a pilot, nor an employee of an airline. I am a member of star alliance, and have a UA credit card. Since I do a lot of business in Asia, I do most of my purchasing with my UA credit card. They credit me up to 10K per month toward free travel. Since it is all business purchases, I pay the bill in full every month.

I have tried a few times to get a domestic award ticket, and it is very difficult. Also very expensive. It is 40K miles for a domestic R/T tix, vs. 30K miles for a business class ticket within Asia, or 20K for economy.

I just got a business class ticket on SQ (best airline in the world, IMHO) from USA to the Middle East, with stopover permitted for 125,000 miles. That is a deal, considering I get the miles by buying goods I would be buying anyway.

JC seems to be the master here, he has helped me with Priceline in the past also, but he really seems to know how to work the system.

But at the end of the day, if one can get one’s ass over to the LBFMs, it doesn’t matter how one gets there, it only matters that one is there.

:D :D :D

JuiceSpike
08-09-05, 13:40
What airline is SQ?

1Ball
08-09-05, 13:51
sorry, Juice, Singapore.

Dinghy
08-09-05, 13:52
SQ is Singapore

Duniawala
08-09-05, 17:35
Fly for Thai

Great insight in the world of travel. Very interesting and enlighting reading.

As for SQ, a great airline, but do not travel on it because they don't give miles (on UA/Star Alliance) unless I fly full fare coach. Prefer Thai for mileage to ticket cost ratio, sometimes United as they give double miles (but fares are higher).

1Ball
08-09-05, 18:13
godd point, Duni. That is why I only fly SQ on an award tix, once a year.

LittleBigMan
08-10-05, 02:45
Fly for Thai,

"People don't read what is written "
That is human nature but it work both ways unless you are not human! In
general, pilots think they are not that's why they are labeled Sky Gods!
If that is your opinion it is your choice to not read nor post!

Whether you work for Delta or a wholly own the paycheck comes from same
Pot! Delta/Song it's the same! United/Ted it's the same! Delta folds, wholly
own folds!

In the old days working for an airline you were set for life! Show your I.D.
you get cheap tickets, show your I.D. you get a discount on hotels, rental
car! today you get better deals on the internet! Show your I.D. and they
spit on it. In the old days as a pilot you can drink and fly today they arrest
you and go to jail.

" kissing Ass " How did this opinion go as far as being rude to the CSR and
Flight Crew on " my flight " This statement was in general has nothing to
do with one of your flight experiences!

" Y fare " As stated in my opinion if you travel within Delta or wholly own as
an example you have greater benefits within your own airline but once you
request Interline passes on another carrier you do not have the same
pricing nor same benefits.
You walk up to a Delta counter for an flight, free upgrade! yes sir! on
another carrier you are just a number! Your status means nothing! you want
to upgrade you will just have to wait! Kiss my ass mentality! sound familiar!

Until I retire which can't be soon enough! When it comes to time and money
I will search for a discount ticket to BKK, last few years Northwest 650/700
plus miles even if it is a discount ticket! When I do retire then I be more
flexible as you say and wait.

I'm sure you can find pretty to get under you skin with the above but in the
end life is too short for all of us! We are human no one reads and comprehends everything when we want to be right.
Life is also agree to disagree! Enjoy and best wishes if you work for Song!
you will need it!

LBM

Member #2041
08-10-05, 03:10
Just like for the Airline employees, maxing out the Frequent Flyer Miles benefits requires maximum flexibility. I should add, I am recently retired, and as such, I am free to arrange my travel dates and times to avoid peak periods. Once you are in that situation, the entire game of using FF miles changes drastically. If you need to often fly during peak travel times, then I agree that Frequent Flyer miles can be nearly worthless. On the other hand, if you can easily schedule around the peak travel times, the whole world opens up toward using your miles.

In the past year, I have booked 2 Costa Rica - LAX round trips, 2 Bangkok - LAX round trips, one Maui - LAX round trip, one San Diego - Philadelphia round trip and one San Diego to Ft. Lauderdale round trip, all using miles. In nearly every case, having the flexibility to fly mid-week made all the difference in getting the trips I wanted.

Fly for Thai
08-10-05, 04:17
Sky God, hmmm might be a good username, no? I don't work for Song or Delta. That's a nice guess though. You could have just asked instead of assuming you know. It really isn't that difficult to figure out. Anyone out there want to take a guess? Send me a PM and I'll post the username of the first person who figures it out.

Beyond that, I don't see a reason to respond further to Little Big Man's incongruous post.

Well, OK maybe just one more thing: Was there a sale on exclamation points or did you skip your meds today? Just kidding.

Fly safely
Fly for (Sky God) Thai...Nah, I just want to Fly for Thai!

Fly for Thai
08-10-05, 15:15
Just in case someone out there thought the airlines are raising prices just to line their pockets:

Ouch! Jet-Fuel Prices Outpace Crude
The Wall Street Journal
8-9-05
With crude-oil prices soaring, refiners are taking advantage of tight supplies to fatten the margins that they earn from turning oil into jet fuel. And cash-strapped airlines are picking up the mounting tab.

The widening gaps between the price of crude oil and various types of fuel -- known in the industry as crack spreads -- are dealing a one-two punch to an industry that can ill afford it, where fuel is the second-biggest expense after labor. The average crack spread for jet fuel topped $11 per barrel in the first half of this year. That is up from an average $2.59 per barrel in 2002, with the biggest jump occurring in the past six months, said Mike Lovett, chief executive of Muse, Stancil, a Dallas global-energy consulting firm.

Gasoline-hungry motorists are feeling the pain of a widening crack spread, too, but the effect has been less pronounced. From 2002 through June of this year, the gasoline crack spread nearly doubled to $7.75 a barrel from $4.14 -- but the average jet-fuel crack spread more than quadrupled.

By the pricking of my thumb. Something wicked this way comes.

I think it's going to be a wicked increase in airfares and the death of an airline or two. All this bad news about crack spread is going to make it more expensive for people to get to Thailand so they can search out their own "crack spread".

Duniawala
08-10-05, 17:24
I just found out that Thai is starting a non-stop flight LAX-BKK starting Nov. 7, 2005. This will be an Airbus with Economy Plus seats and a flight time of 17 hrs. The best part, it lands in the morning around 8 a.m. leaving LAX at 10:30 pm.

Just FYI

Naughty
08-10-05, 19:01
Crack spread, spread crack,,, who cares? It's all pink on the inside:)!

Plus, thanks to the chemistry, when you crack a 40 gallon barrel of crude, you often get more than 40 gallons of products out of it. The oil companies are getting morbidly obese these days.

Buy shares of oil industry firms with large proven reserves!

JuiceSpike
08-10-05, 21:38
Duni,

That's a long flight without walking on earth... Does the airbus have enough fuel capacity to make it that far?

I prefer to fly to Tokyo then an hour later fly to BKK at least I can walk and strech out a little bit. The good thing about the 17 hours haul is getting there in the morning but then again not much going on at 8 AM...:D

juice

LittleBigMan
08-11-05, 03:15
Fly for Thai,

Ya da Ya da!

Feel better! breath in and out! You can get the last word in if you like!
SkyGod is a good name!

Enjoy! Talking about discount got a free pass for 2 (family) on Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong roundtrip from the station manager! Sold it to another employee monger for $150.00. Life is good sometimes will apply it to my ticket for October.

LBM

Duniawala
08-11-05, 07:03
Juice

Agree with you there. I also thought about it and as a smoker it is a long, long flight ( I use the patch though). However, I would use the premium economy on this flight which has more leg room so it might not be that bad. Plus it is about 2-3 hrs less time.

On the other hand it is always a rush to get to the hotel around midnight and get some action, when one is tired from the long flight.

I will give it a shot when I get there in Nov. and see how it turns out.

Fast Eddie 48
08-11-05, 08:53
I just found out that Thai is starting a non-stop flight LAX-BKK starting Nov. 7, 2005. This will be an Airbus with Economy Plus seats and a flight time of 17 hrs. The best part, it lands in the morning around 8 a.m. leaving LAX at 10:30 pm.

Just FYIDuniawala,

I fly 4 year ago LA to BKK non stop it is a 2 pm flight arrive in BKK around 4 pm , so they add another flight at night. They also was taking about SFO to BKK non stop about 4 yr ago never happen.

Fast Eddie 48

Dinghy
08-11-05, 18:35
17 hours in a tin can isn't usually FUN. Same time as the JFK-BKK flight on the same equipment.

I get to go LAX-TPE-BKK (SQ) so I'm looking forward to it (first SQ ride)

1Ball
08-12-05, 01:11
Duniawala,

I fly 4 year ago LA to BKK non stop it is a 2 pm flight arrive in BKK around 4 pm

Fast Eddie 48

Fast Eddie, do you happen to remember which airline it was, and the type of aircraft by chance?

Duniawala
08-12-05, 02:14
17 hours in a tin can isn't usually FUN. Same time as the JFK-BKK flight on the same equipment.

I get to go LAX-TPE-BKK (SQ) so I'm looking forward to it (first SQ ride)

I agree, but 11-12 hrs LA to Osaka isn't much fun either. If the ride is more comfortable than the usual sardine packed coach, then I would like to go once and see how it goes.

Dinghy, SQ is a great airline for service.

Fast Eddie 48
08-12-05, 03:31
Fast Eddie, do you happen to remember which airline it was, and the type of aircraft by chance?It was Thai Airway with one stop at Osaka. I did contact Thai Airway today. New flight in Nov is non stop using a smaller plane. They don't have pricng until next week.

I'vei been flying with Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong $ 865.00 USD plus tax. SFO to
BKK. The price is only $25.00 USD extra if you want to BKK instead of just Hong Kong. Cathay uses a small plane, a Boeing I think.

Fast eddie 48

Dinghy
08-12-05, 06:17
Duni - I blew the entire 90kmiles I had in UA for BIZ - 777 raffles

Eddie - Thai is pricing the N/S on the web ticketing for $1032

1Ball
08-12-05, 14:09
It was Thai Airway with one stop at Osaka. I did contact Thai Airway today. New flight in Nov is non stop using a smaller plane. They don't have pricng until next week.

Fast eddie 48

thanks for the clarification FE48. You had originally written it was a non stop, which is why I got confused, though TG lands at 11.55 PM from LAX, not 4.00 PM.

JuiceSpike
08-12-05, 14:32
AIRPORT ‘CRACKS’ ROW: Govt may sue over runway report
Published on August 12, 2005

‘Bangkok Post’ faces a fresh blast of political heat despite retraction. The government is considering suing the Bangkok Post over its front-page report about “cracks” along a runway at Suvarnabhumi Airport, despite the English-language daily retracting the story.

A source close to Transport Minister Pongsak Ruktapongpisal said yesterday the minister was summoned by Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra shortly after the report appeared in the Bangkok Post on Tuesday. At that meeting, the PM reportedly instructed the minister to consult his ministry’s lawyers and the Attorney General’s Office for possible legal action.

If the lawsuit goes ahead, New Bangkok International Airport will act as the plaintiff, the source said.

“The prime minister felt that the report caused serious damage to the country,” the source said.

Pongsak himself told a TV news host on Wednesday night the government was considering suing the Bangkok Post for damages. Bangkok Post news editors contacted by The Nation said they had heard the newspaper’s management was bracing for a lawsuit.

The legal threat is a new wave of apparent political pressure that has hit the Bangkok Post over the past few years. The paper is largely owned by the Central Group, which had a showdown with the Transport Ministry over a land-lease contract for its Lat Phrao shopping complex in 2002. The contract extension remains a contentious issue to this day.

Also in 2002, the Central Group fought off a takeover bid by a group of shareholders led by a business figure, a bitter battle that many Bangkok Post reporters thought stemmed from attempted political interference.

Early last year, Bangkok Post reporters decried the murky transfer of its editor Veera Prateep-chaikul, who was known to have been under pressure from the management following news reports critical of the prime minister.

On Wednesday, Thaksin lashed out at the Bangkok Post, branding the airport report a work of fiction that would be detrimental to the country’s image.

“The report said I hired US experts to check the cracks. I have no idea what that refers to,’’ he said.

“It added that the serious cracks were at the touchdown points. No planes will dare land at Suvarnabhumi Airport, fearing [as a result of the report] that they will crash.

“This is seriously damaging to the country. If the facts of a story are slightly wrong, it’s okay, but this is intentionally writing news as fiction.’’

On the same day, the Bangkok Post - on its front page - retracted the report, which quoted an aviation source as saying that US experts claimed the runway would have to be rebuilt because of serious cracks. The retraction said the report was clearly wrong, and the paper apologised to the government and airport authorities.

“A tour of the west runway of Suvarnabhumi Airport yesterday found no cracks in the middle of the runway as earlier reported by the Bangkok Post. There were small cracks on the shoulders. The aviation source who told the Post that US experts said the runway would have to be rebuilt because of serious cracks was clearly wrong,” the Bangkok Post said, adding that it deeply regretted the error.

Farang Ba...?

juice

Duniawala
08-12-05, 16:25
The current flight LAX-BKK uses the Boeing 747-300 which carries 389 passengers out of which 325 are in coach. This will still be in service.

The nonstop will be Airbus 340-500 with 215 passengers out of which 113 in Economy Plus and 42 economy. I plan to buy the economy and get the free upgrade to Economy Plus (SA Gold Card).

Dinghy, you couldn't have done better with the miles. That is a bargain for SQ. Also, I was not able to find the Web pricing on Thai, but on UAL site it is quoted at $1800+ which is ridiculous.

I get my tickets through a consolidator and get a much better price, better than web prices (on international travels only).

1Ball
08-12-05, 16:40
Small correction Duni. I am kind of an airplane buff, and TG uses the Boeing 747-400, not 300.

The 400 has winglets, the 300 does not.

Duniawala
08-12-05, 19:07
Small correction Duni. I am kind of an airplane buff, and TG uses the Boeing 747-400, not 300.

The 400 has winglets, the 300 does not.

Almost all aircrafts have been retrofitted with winglets once it was discovered that it helps in fuel efficiency. TG uses both. See their website.

http://thaiairways.com/About_Thai/Public_Information/Information/AircraftFleet.htm

I used to work in the engineering of 747 assembly. However, they could be using the 747-400 on a particular day.

The reason I said it was -300 beacuse on my last flight I counted the business class seats (for some quirky reason)

Freeler
08-12-05, 20:38
Juice,

Farang Ba are going to touch down in North BKK for another year (unless the BKK-Post is wrong about this too...:(). Please note that first the opening "is rescheduled", and then things will go "as planned".
Amazing Thailand.

"TRANSPORTSUVARNABHUMI CONSTRUCTION

More airport access roads planned

AMORNRAT MAHITTHIROOK

The Transport Ministry is planning to build more access roads to the new Suvarnabhumi airport in anticipation of increasing traffic in the long term.

Relevant agencies will study plans unveiled by Transport Minister Pongsak Raktapongpaisal during his visit yesterday to the airport, still under construction in Samut Prakan's Bang Phli district.

The Highways Department and the State Railway of Thailand will be responsible for studying the feasibility of building a new, 28km-long road along the express rail line from Bangkok's Phaya Thai area to the airport via Lad Krabang district.

City hall and the Highways Department will together look into a plan to expand one more road to the airport from the Onnuj area.

SRT governor Chitsanti Dhanasobhon said he was concerned about limited space along the railway line to the airport from the Klong Tan area. That could make it difficult to build a new road, he said.

The ministry has already prepared three key access roads to the airport _ via the Bangkok-Chon Buri motorway, the Bang Na-Trat Highway, and Onnuj road.

The new international airport has been rescheduled for opening by July next year. The contractors are trying to complete their construction works as soon as possible to prepare for testing.

Surajit Surapolchai, a senior Airports of Thailand official and deputy director of the airport project, said the construction was slightly behind schedule, but he was confident civil engineering work would be completed by December.

He said there were concerns about eight projects, including the work on the terminal building, concourse and conveyor belt system, information technology system and car parking. Mr Pongsak assured that the airport would open around the middle of next year as planned."

1Ball
08-12-05, 22:22
Duni, TG has 2 Boeing 747-300, (or 3D7), registered as HS-TGD, and HS-TGE.

None of them had winglets as of June 10, 2005.

The 300 and 9 of their 400s have 62 business class seats.

Must have been a 400 ?

LAX BKK non stop is indeed 17.31 hours, but returning, thanks to the jet stream, it is only 14.40 hours.

Thai airways quotes the price as $936.26 inc tax for economy, and $2715.99 for economy plus. Quite a difference. If you can upgrade with miles, that seems to be the smart thing to do.

Dinghy
08-13-05, 06:06
1ball - NO 747-300 have winglets (and there are some 747-400 that do not have them either - Japan flying busses - the short range ones) unless they were retrofit - and I have seen no info that ever mentioned retro -300

Duni - LAX-TPE in SQ (777), TG to BKK return TG BKK-NRT SQ to LAX (747)

don't have seats yet

The N/S LAX-BKK info came off Thai's website with specific dates put in. I tried to get it with miles - NO WAY - acquire (for $$$) but not redeem on Star

Duniawala
08-13-05, 06:20
For those who are don't know about winglets. There is a upturned section at the end of the wing. This is called the winglet.

Aircrafts have them to improve the fuel efficiency. The older models like B747, A340, MD11 have them. You are right that 747-300 does not have winglets but a few airlines have incorporated them. 747-400 usually have them but not all. The newer planes like 777 have improved wing design and does not need them.

Talked to Thai, but they won't give it as a free upgrade on SA Gold card and will only honor Thai FF to upgrade to premium plus seats. However, they said that I could use United to get tickets on FF miles.

Member #2041
08-14-05, 03:13
I didn't realize that this was the winglet forum. I thought it was about travel plans in Thailand for mongers. Who the fuck cares whether the jets have winglets, unless you are either a pilot or a cost accountant for a damn airline?

JuiceSpike
08-14-05, 18:17

Well, the winglets apparently helps the plane fly more efficiently and that's is a legit part of the "travel plans" as the winglets will fly you to pussy land more efficiently... And, the winglets in some planes have everything to do with getting you there... I'm sure next time you get on a plane you will be loking for the winglets...

juice

1Ball
08-15-05, 01:57
I didn't realize that this was the winglet forum. I thought it was about travel plans in Thailand for mongers. Who the fuck cares whether the jets have winglets, unless you are either a pilot or a cost accountant for a damn airline?

2041, for a few of us, this is interesting; or would you prefer we go back to calling each other names.

Normally when a topic doesn't interest me, I just skip it.

Dinghy, Duni, a good friend of mine is a big wig at Southwest. All the 737 500 and 700 series are graduallly getting winglets. And those are much more pronounced that on the 747 400 or A340.

Interesting winglets on the MD11, up / down.

Dinghy
08-15-05, 05:36
1ball - the winglets were certified for all of the next generation 737s - standard equipment on BBJ (no, not what you think - Boeing Biz Jet) Anyway they help keep down the fuel usage on long flights and give us more money to spend on honey. easy retrofit not cheap

IF they don't raise prices, I have more money to spend

Jaimito Cartero
08-16-05, 21:23
I did not say I fly for Delta. I said I fly for a "Delta wholly owned." If you don't know what the difference is, ask.

Hopefully you don't fly for the division they just agreed to sell off. :)

Jaimito Cartero
08-16-05, 21:29
I just got a business class ticket on SQ (best airline in the world, IMHO) from USA to the Middle East, with stopover permitted for 125,000 miles. That is a deal, considering I get the miles by buying goods I would be buying anyway.

One thing that a lot of people don't realize is that the alliances also have a Round The World reward. Instead of the 125k on SQ, put another 80 or 100k worth of mileage and get a RTW reward!

I'm waiting for a couple of hotel stays to post and then I'll have the 220k I need for a RTW reward on NW and it's partners (KLM, CO, Delta, Korean, Alitalia, Czech, Aeromexico and some others). You have a year to use it, and can have 6 stopovers in the span of a year.

I'm hoping to hit a couple of new continents (Oz and Africa), and fly back from cheap destinations to work (Yeah, I still have to work 7 or 8 months of the year), and then return to take the next leg of the reward.

Malayasian may be joining the alliance, and I've heard they're almost as good as SQ. There are lots of ways to work the system.

Jaimito Cartero
08-16-05, 21:37
Northwest has some kick ass prices on ORD (Chicago) to Bangkok right now. Travel periods are Sept 29-Oct 28. Travel Mon-Thurs. $595 plus tax. You can also find $100 of certs on eBay for $15-$20 each.

JAL supposedly has $505 plus tax fares from ORD, but I haven't checked them. If you really want to get a bunch of miles, you can add on a lot of domesic legs to the flight to pump your miles up. One guy on www.flyertalk.com came up with an itinerary for almost 28,000 miles! I'm not that desperate for miles myself, although you can get almost 20k miles out of ORD for this trip.

And if anyone wants to fly this route in October, NW has a super duper Asian promotion. If you have an Asian address (or use one such as the Majestic Suites in Bangkok), they will give you a TRIAL gold membership. This gets you a lot of domestic US upgrades for free *plus* double mileage on even your first trip.

You can look for the details on flyertalk, or I can PM you a link if you like. This temporary gold only lasts a couple of months, but it is a kick ass offer. It even will get you into the lounges for free!

Jaimito Cartero
08-16-05, 21:39

This *is* the travel forum, and winglets are sexy little thangs, so shush.

Jaimito Cartero
08-16-05, 21:51
I should add, I am recently retired, and as such, I am free to arrange my travel dates and times to avoid peak periods. Once you are in that situation, the entire game of using FF miles changes drastically. If you need to often fly during peak travel times, then I agree that Frequent Flyer miles can be nearly worthless. On the other hand, if you can easily schedule around the peak travel times, the whole world opens up toward using your miles.

In the past year, I have booked 2 Costa Rica - LAX round trips, 2 Bangkok - LAX round trips, one Maui - LAX round trip, one San Diego - Philadelphia round trip and one San Diego to Ft. Lauderdale round trip, all using miles. In nearly every case, having the flexibility to fly mid-week made all the difference in getting the trips I wanted.

One thing that people don't realize about using FF miles is value for the dollar. The only time I've ever used 35k miles for a US-SJO trip is when I'm getting a return for many months later, or think I'll need to change the tickets. (I can change reward tickets for free as a Plat on NW)

Right now you can fly Taca from LAX to SJO for $181 plus tax. 35k miles are valued at between 1.5 and 2 cents per mile. So the value is $520-$700 for those miles. And if you used "Rule Buster" or such, you'd double the amount of miles.

I use miles for flying to expensive places, and for premium awards. I used 50K in 2004 to fly Biz class LAX-EZE. At the time this would have cost me $5000, or $1000 in coach. So I got 10 cents per mile value in Biz/FC or 2 cents for a coach seat. A good value.

Domestic rewards are often a waste. You spend 25k miles for a flight you can pay $150 or $200 for.

I flew a RT to Atlanta last week. Cost me $98 plus tax ($128 total). Unfortunatly I flew midweek, so only got upgraded to FC on 3 out of the 4 legs. If you watch the airsales you can pick up some big bargains. (Free tickets on Delta for a price mistake on East coast. LAS-WAS $98 during Thanksgiving for a price war.)

Enough FF preaching for now. :)

1Ball
08-16-05, 22:24
on 8/8/05

JC seems to be the master here, he has helped me with Priceline in the past also, but he really seems to know how to work the system.

:D :D :D

Didn't I say JC is the Master ?

I rest my case. Good going JC. From here on in, I am calling you before I book any award travel.

Jaimito Cartero
08-16-05, 23:28
Didn't I say JC is the Master ?

I rest my case. Good going JC. From here on in, I am calling you before I book any award travel.

Just save up some nice little gems in Bali for me. :)

And on another note, much of the info I've learned has come from the Frequent Flyer site, www.flyertalk.com

I've been on it for a couple of years, and while it does take some work, once you figure out a lot of the FF tricks, it's pretty smooth sailing. With the possible bankruptcy of many US airlines, it's a tough time for them. I'd expect some reward levels to be increased, and they're always tacking on new fees and such. If you're lucky, you can get around these by being the highest level on an airline frequent flyer program.

Fly for Thai
08-17-05, 01:53
JC, thanks for the concern. The wholly owned that was sold is ASA. I don't fly for ASA. By process of elimination you now know who I fly for.

I hope things work out for the crews at ASA. As far as I know, the pilots at ASA discovered their airline was sold about the same time that the news agencies did. They were sold to Skywest, which is not ALPA (union). ASA is an ALPA carrier. How they integrate the seniority lists will be interesting. Skywest has flown for Delta for sometime now. ASA does a ton of flying for Delta in ATL. You've probably read like I have that Skywest expects ASA to continue to fly out of ATL. At least for the time being I doubt there will be furloughs at ASA.

Interesting side note, ASA has been pursuing a new contract for years now. I bet this is going to complicate things a bit. Best of luck to them. If I was a "the glass is half full" kind of guy, I might think that this might bring the Skywest pilots into the ALPA fold. But I'm afraid this is going to end up being a union busting exercise.

Delta posted another bad quarter. But at least it's down to losing hundreds of millions per quarter instead of billions!

Dinghy
08-17-05, 04:27
I got LAX-TPE-BKK-PNH...BKK-NRT-LAX on United miles in Biz 90k - considering COACH was 60k, I consider it a DEAL (notice, though, that IT ISN'T on UAL - will be on Star Alliance (SQ and TG). OF course, when I tried to use &*^&*%&* America West miles on NW - "we're sorry, NW doesn't have any flights available (for a YEAR?!?)" Some lines are better than others - I think I will be glad when HP becomes US - US is Star alliance and the 400k odd miles I have will be (finally) WORTH something

Flythai - who is Delta Connection? (or was that ASA)?

1Ball
08-17-05, 04:36
Dinghy, count yourself lucky.

SQ and TG are miles above UA, which basically sucks. I flew UA biz to LHR last year, and was embarrassed at the service. paper napkins and plastic cups............in business class?

Give me a fucking break !!!

worthless POS, if you ask me.

Member #2041
08-17-05, 05:56
Jaime,

I always consider the value of the FF miles I am spending. My rule of thumb is, if I'm not saving MORE than a penny per mile I'm using, I don't use miles, but rather, cash. The two times that I used miles to get to Costa Rica, the fares I was looking at were at least $380 round trip. When the fare was $230, rather than use 35K of miles, I bought the ticket with cash money.

The other benefit to using FF miles is that the tickets are generally changeable with only a small re-ticketing fee.

Now tell me more about those winglets.

Jaimito Cartero
08-17-05, 07:19
Dinghy, count yourself lucky.

SQ and TG are miles above UA, which basically sucks. I flew UA biz to LHR last year, and was embarrassed at the service. paper napkins and plastic cups............in business class?

Give me a fucking break !!!

worthless POS, if you ask me.

Yeah, there are wide gaps in FC and Biz class among carriers. I will take a CX, MH way before most American carriers. Even though I really like NW as a frequent flyer, many Asian carriers just kick ass with good service and seats.

Duniawala
08-17-05, 14:13

1Ball

You are right. I have flown both UA and TG in Biz from LAX - BKK. Compared to SQ both sucks. However between UA/TG, UA leads in sucking worse. Seats are broken, 60+ flight attendants who I doubt would get the emergency door open, less friendly than TG.

TG on other hand has a much better attitude and service, but the seats are old and in desperate need of upgrading. Also, TG's price was better at $3K than anyone else. To upgrade to Biz on TG I have to buy a full fare coach and then add the 60K miles, through UA, which does not add up to any savings.

Coma Boy
08-19-05, 07:41
So, a question for you Winglet folks.

If I am booking TG domestic flights a couple of days ahead, can the airline normally tell me which plane will be used for which flight?

As I am totally flexible about when I fly I would rather sit on one of those nicer newer TG planes (like the ones used for the BKK-NY flight). An hour is sometimes a very long time.

TG are great, especially once you get Gold- I don't even have to buy business class tickets any more, 9/10 times they upgrade me to business anyway.

Kohn Thai jai dee!

1Ball
08-19-05, 14:41
1Ball

You are right. I have flown both UA and TG in Biz from LAX - BKK. Compared to SQ both sucks. However between UA/TG, UA leads in sucking worse. Seats are broken, 60+ flight attendants who I doubt would get the emergency door open, less friendly than TG.

TG on other hand has a much better attitude and service, but the seats are old and in desperate need of upgrading. Also, TG's price was better at $3K than anyone else. To upgrade to Biz on TG I have to buy a full fare coach and then add the 60K miles, through UA, which does not add up to any savings.

I couldn't agree with you more Duni, which is why SQ tells you to come fly with a service even other airlines are talking about.

But with SQ, you pay, and you pay dearly. "C" class on SQ to BKK, one stop, is $5336, you get the pullman seats, the food, the wine, etc. TG is $3409, and you get the old 744, upstairs, with seats which barely have a foot rest, with no adjustable headrest, so your head rollls onto your neighbors shoulder, etc.

Don't know what kind of seat you get on Trans Pac with UA, never tried it, never will. The few times I have called UA to get a "free" tix using miles to the Far East, they don't even blink an eye when I tell them "anything but UA please". They must be used to it.

Duniawala
08-19-05, 15:31
So, a question for you Winglet folks.

If I am booking TG domestic flights a couple of days ahead, can the airline normally tell me which plane will be used for which flight?

Yes, they can tell you. Also if you go to their website and plug in the route and date in their "Reservation" form you will get the same info. Unless there is a last minute change due to unforseen circumstances, it will be the aircraft type mentioned.

BTW, this holds the same for most major airlines.

JuiceSpike
08-19-05, 15:50
Here is a link for all types of airplanes... There are a lot of them.

http://www.photovault.com/Link/Technology/Aviation/FlightCommercial/AircraftTypes.html

Naughty
08-19-05, 23:49
Do any of you aviation buffs know if the nitrates in cured meat cause a problem with the airport security sniffers that detect the nitrates in stuff you can't carry on planes?

Dinghy
08-20-05, 07:15
that nitrate level is TRACE - not even worth worrying about - why? You carrying SALAMI?? <smirk>

Trans pac with UA - usually a 3 class aircraft - 747 or 777 BIZ has bigger seats,better food. first is a bit more lavish but not spectacular. Got upgraded on a bump once on them and twice on NW. NW is all biz in front - ho hum, not uncomfortable, nothing special... I found it better to use the UA miles on Star since as you noticed, it's downright difficult to use on UA - OUTOF US (return was possible, but not GOING coach, YES, biz, no)

cb - The aircraft on TG super long hauls is airbus 345 (340-500) more open because they had to cut seats to hold the fuel.

The Traveler
08-20-05, 21:35
naughty,

the airport sniffers are no prob, but us custom will be as far as i know (i assume you are us american).
don't they confirep001e and destroy any kind of food and plants that you will bring with you ?

Duniawala
08-21-05, 02:07
the airport sniffers are no prob, but us custom will be as far as i know (i assume you are us american).
don't they confirep001e and destroy any kind of food and plants that you will bring with you ?

the us customs will destroy any plants, seeds, raw fruits and vegetables and some unprocessed foods. this primarily a usda program to protect the agricultural industry, especially in california. they do not want to get any foreighn insects and pests which will be a threat to the industry.

you can bring in any processed food (as long as it is legal).

The Traveler
08-21-05, 09:27
duni,

yep, i know it was to protect the national fauna and flora but believed that even processed food would be confirep001ed and destroyed.

i might be wrong but remember to have heard that even a salami was confirep001ed which was brought back home from a holiday in italy.

Dinghy
08-21-05, 14:34
individuals can't bring in any kind of meat product ti the US

I almost got fined for a sandwich I had from the plane last time form Japan. I remembered I had it and then had to FIND it - buried in the carry-on bag

Domino
08-21-05, 16:07
individuals can't bring in any kind of meat product ti the US

I almost got fined for a sandwich I had from the plane last time form Japan. I remembered I had it and then had to FIND it - buried in the carry-on bag
Serves you right for being a cheap Charlie:)

Duniawala
08-21-05, 17:12
I don't know about others, but I believe California is the most strictest in the US.

I invariably get tagged if I am on a flight from India or Thailand. I have to send my baggage through agricultural x-ray machine/scanner and have had open bag searches. I never had any processed food confisticated whether it was fruits/vegetable or meat.

I believe most people panic when they see the signs when you deplane and enter the terminal. The sign says declare it, dump it, or get fined. If you are not sure just declare it. Green (plants, flowers, seeds) are an absolute no no.

Naughty
08-21-05, 21:32
Thanks to all for the replies. I'm actually going to be bringing some summer sausage to LOS as gifts for some friends and the monks in the little ville where I stay for a while every year.

They love stuff from the US. If a tee-shirt was made in Thailand and imported into the US and then brought back to Thailand in someones luggage, it is considered way, way more desirable than the same tee bought locally. It holds true for almost any item for some reason.

Out in the real sticks of LOS the little villages are still not too far removed from the bone/stone age!!

The Traveler
08-21-05, 22:31
Meeting,

about 7 of us are getting together at Sept. 8th and 9th.
If anybody wants to join in send me a PM to get the details.

Terry Terrier
08-22-05, 01:18
Meeting,

about 7 of us are getting together at Sept. 8th and 9th.
If anybody wants to join in send me a PM to get the details.

CAN ALL MEMBERS PLEASE NOTE THIS TRAVEL PLAN MESSAGE.

Now we don't need to read one single more bullshit threat by windbag posters who need to compensate for their empty lives by being big guys here. Everything can be sorted out privately on Sept 8 and 9.

Can somebody tell me why I am still expecting to read the same tired old abusive, cynical rubbish after then by one poster in particular who's posting name begins with D and ends with O?

Dinghy
08-22-05, 05:01
gee, terry,far be it from me to actually point this out... but the forum has been pretty quiet lately and your post is sort of in the "[CodeWord113] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord113) slinging contest" mode (at least to my untrained eye)

(i won't be in country for another month - so i can't make it - but i would if i could- just to put faces with screen names)

Duniawala
08-22-05, 05:25
Can somebody tell me why I am still expecting to read the same tired old abusive, cynical rubbish after then by one poster in particular who's posting name begins with D and ends with O?

Maybe because you like being tortured? :D.

I just turned him off using the User CP method.

Domino
08-22-05, 07:12
maybe because you like being tortured? :d. i just turned him off using the user cp method.
if this refers to me, i have just blocked you mr duniawala; i am; however glad to see that you are copying my example and using the block function. although i have always found your posts politely uninformative, i would ask you one favor: if you are meeting chester the child molester aka the traveler to molest thai children, please do not follow his example and post kiddy photos here as a warning to the rest of us, as only the traveler and a few other perverts are into (gang) [CodeWord125] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord125) children. as samus aran advised the traveler in the skinless/kiddy fucker thread: keep that shit to yourself.

The Traveler
08-22-05, 08:32
Domino,

LOL, you can't live without digging shit, can't you ? :D

You are also invited, let's see if you are willing to put some actions behind your empty words. We will have enough witnesses if you dare to step into the light, or do you prefer to stay in the shade ?

BTW, don't expect me to reply to you on this, we had enough of this bullshit and you seem to be the only one who seems to enjoy it. I wonder why, any affection for it ?
What a sad soul, what an empty life.

Good luck

Jack Spratt
08-22-05, 10:04
Wouldn't this board be such a better place if it's contributors could follow their own advice. Take, for example, Domino's final 5 words below.

jack

JuiceSpike
08-22-05, 15:32
It looks like the "ignore" feature does not work very well....:D

NW Airlines.

The mechanics are on strike but it looks like all their flights are running smoothly. The airline claims to have replacements maintaining and fixing the planes. I wonder how many of those "replacements" are new to the job. Also, there are rumors that some flights will be cancelled as the demand for maintance of the planes will not meet the supply of mechanics.

juicer

Domino
08-22-05, 15:55
http://news.google.com/nwshp?hl=en&tab=wn&q=northwest
Juice Spike Your mom and I are worried about you. Please check the above frequently. NW shares are up. I wonder if Tokyo is included in the strike. Fir you, not for me. Christine says hello.

Jaimito Cartero
08-22-05, 18:20
nw airlines.

the mechanics are on strike but it looks like all their flights are running smoothly. the airline claims to have replacements maintaining and fixing the planes. i wonder how many of those "replacements" are new to the job. also, there are rumors that some flights will be cancelled as the demand for maintance of the planes will not meet the supply of mechanics.

most of the foreign countries have contracted mechanics servicing them. i think that nw has a lot of their expensive checks done in asia (singapore?).

at this point, i'd say that it's less than a 50% chance that the mechanics will ever return. nw has put 20 million into getting these other mechanics up to speed, and will likely just keep them all, and probably hire some more.

The Traveler
08-22-05, 22:41
Domino,

I forgot to tell you that I followed Poster's advice, contacted the holy father and suggested you for immediate canonization, but sadly he declined due to the following reasons

1.) The church doesn't support crusaders anymore.
Sorry, you are a few centuries too late. The medieval times when you could slay the infidel would have been more to your taste I guess.

2.) Your aim is too limited.
Posterlion and a few other members already admitted that they do not always check IDs and will burn in hell forever for doing so but you don't even try to save their souls and exclude them from your mission to proselytize all mongers in the holy land of LOS. A preacher should preach to all and everywhere (e.g. Kenya) and not only to a single person.

3.) You haven't worked wonders, no miracles were performed.
Getting a hard on with the girls you have done and posted could indeed be called a miracle. I am so proud of you. :D

4.) Only deceased people will be canonized.
Can you help us with that ?

Sorry, but maybe if you try a little bit harder your wish might come true one day.

Anyway, I am choked up that you try to save my soul from hell and pay so much attention to my life. Thank you so much.

Amen

The Traveler
08-22-05, 22:59
Juice,

the ignore function works very well, great stuff indeed.
Phuquer, thanks again for that hint.

But I don't need it anymore, Posterlion's post made my anger go away.
Poster, thank you too for sharing your wisdom with us.

Life is so good to me, I am healthy, happy, can afford to do whatever I want, have lots of friends and even people like Domino care about me and only want my best.

BTW, will you be in LOS and join us ?

Fly for Thai
08-23-05, 01:27
flying northwest? consider these two recent postings regarding the strike. one is from the afma (mechanics union) and one is from pass-mido (faa inspectors union). it may be a bit optimistic to think that there won't be mechanical problems. or to think that the operational integrity at northwest won't be affected.

before you read the postings below know that mel stands for minimum equipment list. it refers to items that can be deferred and still operate the aircraft. there are category a, b, c and d mel items. cat. a has to repaired within the time specified by the mel, often within a day. otherwise, that aircraft cannot be operated on a revenue flight until the item has been fixed. cat. b must be repaired within 3 days. otherwise, that aircraft cannot be operated after three days on a revenue flight until the item has been fixed. cat. c -10 days. and cat. d 120 days. the purpose of an mel is to offer an airline relief from removing an aircraft from revenue operations due to mechanical problems that do not effect safety. however, these items do have to be repaired within the specified time frame. otherwise, that aircraft cannot be used for revenue operations beyond the specified time frame.

mels are common in the industry. items get deferred everyday on every airline. at northwest, mels could become a problem if the scabs they've hired can't keep up with the mels as there "repair by dates" come due.

if you are curious about the mels on an aircraft you are boarding ask if you can sneak a peek at the flight deck before the flight. if there are little stickers all over the place then you are on an aircraft that has a lot of mel items. this doesn't mean that the aircraft is unsafe just an indicator that maintenance hasn't been able to fix the mel items yet. it is an indirect indicator how busy maintenance is. of course now and again an aircraft will see a rash of maintenance items. you just may be on an aircraft that has seen such a rash.

if the scabs are deferring items in accordance with the aircraft's mel instead of repairing them they are just postponing work they will have to do. in short, things may get worse at northwest before they get better.

if possible, i suggest you make allowances if you are flying on northwest in the near future.

from the northwest amfa :

the number of canceled flights since the strike began is 99.
the number of our members who have crossed the picket line is zero
northwest is reporting that flight operations are nominal. we all know this is nw a deception intended
to break our spirit and mislead the public. we are working with the press to get the truth out. the
mel count is above 700. it's a matter of time before nw a has to publicly admit that the contingency
plan has big holes in it.
picket lines are up around the country and we are receiving reports of solid support from passengers
and other union workers from every strike site. we are receiving support from other unions' members
in both covert and overt ways.
--
we are striking over jobs - not money. amfa offered nw a, using their numbers, well over
$100 millions in concessions. clearly we are willing to help, but we must have a future at
nw a to reach an agreement.
at the signing of our last contract we had 9750 jobs. in the past 4 years nw a has eliminated
over 5000 jobs and demanded that we agree to the elimination of another 2000 jobs leaving a
mere 2750 jobs in 4 short years. further, the remaining jobs would be eliminated through
attrition resulting in the loss of all jobs and busting our union.
. nw a flight operations are under pressure and nw a is attempting to paint a much better
picture than exists.

national union representative
pass-mido
cell: (517)410-7012 email: unionmido@hotmail.com
to: amfa
today, some 4,500 dedicated employees of northwest airlines will be going on strike
at 12:01 a.m. they are represented by the aircraft mechanics fraternal
association. i am here to tell you that the professional airways systems specialists
union stands with afma on this issue, which is the issue of the safety of the flying
public.
on august 17th, an faa washington d.c. press spokes person, ms. alison
duquette told the usa today newspaper that in the event of a strike, that the faa
would be increasing faa oversight of replacement workers, and, and now i quote
from ms. duquette’s statement, “faa inspectors will be at all northwest
maintenance sites this weekend, including those operated by contractors. inspectors
"will be closely monitoring all of their maintenance" work, “she said.
my name is jim pratt, and i am a national union representative for pass, the
professional airways systems specialists. pass is the union that represents the
faa’s aviation safety inspectors.
pass knows that ms. duquette is not telling the truth when she says that faa
inspectors “. will be at all northwest maintenance sites this weekend, including those
operated by contractors. “it is simply not physically possible for that to be true.
currently, there are more federal tsa employees upstairs at one security line,
than there are faa inspectors in the entire united states assigned to monitor the
replacement mechanics and contractors hired by northwest airlines. the faa has
lost hundreds of faa safety inspectors over the last year, due to a lack of hiring.
simply put, the faa aviation safety inspector workforce is understaffed, and
already overworked.
this weekend, pass agrees that it is true that the faa has some faa aviation
safety inspectors out there.
pass-mido
professional airways systems specialists
division 6 meba/nmu (afl-cio)
285 north hughes road
howell, mi 48843
there are seven, count them, seven faa aviation safety airworthiness inspectors
assigned to monitor northwest airlines on a regular basis. they reside in the faa’s
certificate management office (or cmo) in minneapolis.
during normal times, these seven inspectors are responsible for oversight for the
maintenance of northwest airlines operations around the entire world. this is
down from the eleven faa airworthiness inspectors the northwest airlines cmo
used to have two years ago. the faa aviation safety inspectors workforce is
understaffed, and overworked.
the faa spokesperson in washington said that the faa is bringing in additional
faa aviation safety inspectors for the strike. and yes, that is true.
the faa has assigned six more faa aviation safety airworthiness inspectors from
other geographic areas to assist.
so that makes a total of 13 airworthiness inspectors who have been assigned to
watch over the roughly `1,300 supervisors and recently hired replacement workers
that northwest is trying to use to accomplish the work. that is the work that
yesterday was being done by the 4,500 fine workers of the aircraft mechanics
fraternal association.
thirteen faa airworthiness inspectors assigned for the entire world system of
northwest, for the hundreds of locations that northwest is going to do maintenance
including those with replacement workers. i hardly think that qualifies as “closely
monitoring”. i guess the faa headquarters spokeswoman must think 13 is your
lucky number if you are planning on flying on northwest airlines right now.
late friday afternoon, i spoke with one of those pass represented aviation safety
inspectors, and told him that the faa spokeswoman in washington d.c. is saying
that “faa inspectors will be at all northwest maintenance sites this weekend,
including those operated by contractors.” and that “inspectors "will be closely
monitoring all of their maintenance" work, she said.
he said that it would be funny, if it wasn't so deadly serious.
northwest airlines is attempting to outsource these workers jobs to other countries
on a massive scale. pass believes that is dangerous.
the national transportation safety board cited contract maintenance in the
crashes of four commercial airlines crashes in recent years, most recently in the
crash of air midwest in 2003 in north carolina, where the ntsb found improper
maintenance by a subcontractor was the cause of the crash.
faa management and press people in washington d.c. will try to tell you that
contracted out maintenance into other parts of the world is just as safe as that work
done by dedicated united states citizen employees. those of us who live in the real
world know that is just not true.
even other airlines recognize the safety benefit of having experienced, skilled
mechanics in house. nearly 80 percent of american airlines maintenance is done in
house, by united states mechanics.
but in the run up to this strike, northwest has been transferring maintenance work
to overseas locations as quickly as it could, and there is no way pass represented
faa aviation safety inspectors can efficiently monitor the work being done now.
our core values include a dedication to uphold the safest aviation transportation
system in the world. but we also need to make clear that any representation on the
part of faa’s public relations flacks in washington d.c. has no connection to the
real world. we simply do not trust the words coming out of the mouths of people at
washington d.c. faa headquarters.
in this case, pass, the union that represents faa aviation safety inspectors
nationwide, stands with the men and women represented by the aircraft mechanics
fraternal association.
as federal employees, we can be ordered to cross picket lines, and we cannot legally
refuse such an order.
our hearts are with the men and women who are aircraft mechanics fraternal
association workers.
sincerely,
james h. pratt
pass-mido national union representative
detroit office, pass mido
pass represents more than 12,000 employees of the federal aviation administration and the
department of defense who install, maintain, support and certify air traffic control and national
defense equipment, inspect and oversee the commercial and general aviation industries, develop
flight procedures and perform quality analyses of the aviation systems. for more information,
visit the pass website at
http:// www.passnational.org.

Duniawala
08-23-05, 02:10
FFT

I guess you must be in the union, but this is not the forum for your case. Having said that, what would you prefer.

1. NWA should continue to lose money, so that they can finally go out of business. By this, whatever jobs may have been saved will also go out. All the ancilliary and support people also lose their incomes?

or

2. Work with NW and find a solution. From what I have read in the papers, both sides are hard headed and stubborn.

If company cannot make money to satisfy the shareholders it will quickly go out of business. Welcome to the real world. American unions have priced themselves out of their jobs. I would not be surprised, if all the maintenance work goes out of the US in the near future, just as all manufacturing has.

Good luck.

Fly for Thai
08-23-05, 04:02
Hey, thanks for welcoming me into the real world. So...where's the bar?

I am more pro-union then I am anti-union. However, I'm not in the AFMA or in PASS. I don't work for Northwest. I don't really care what happens to Northwest. Not that I wish ill for those who work for Northwest . I'm sure most people on this forum have made up their minds regarding the usefulness of unions. Fixing NWA problems is beyond my interests and my abilities.

I haven't suggested that people avoid flying Northwest. An airline probably should go out of business in the States. I'm not suggesting that it should or should not be Northwest.

Now that we have covered what I haven't said. Here is the point of my post, again. I have showed two postings that indicate that mechanical delays and cancellations at NWA are - at the very least - more likely. Since many of this forums readers fly NWA to get to the LOS such discussion may be of use to them. This forum has had postings regarding airline travel in the past. My posting is not inappropriate to this forum. If you think otherwise take it to Jackson or block me.

Good Luck to you too.

Domino
08-23-05, 04:56
ly 4 Thai: Interesting and informative posts. Speaking to NW pilots as I often do, they feel their company's model has not a future and that budget airlines will continue to erode their market share. I sometimes fly NW Business class in Japan, when changing hubs and it is a waste of time (a glass glass instead of a paper one for my low fat juice). I also see a strike at Heathrow involving BA and caterers. Though I empathize with your anti scab approach, I just feel modern economics is against the big hub and spokes model of NW and similar groups. I also feel long shot no frills no hub airlines are on the way; these laso use a smaller range of planes and thus a smaller maintenance cost. Companies like Lufthansa who make $$ on catering better watch out too.

Fly for Thai
08-23-05, 06:32
. I sometimes fly NW Business class in Japan, when changing hubs and it is a waste of time (a glass glass instead of a paper one for my low fat juice).

Sorry, you lost me there. What are you saying is a waste of time?

The hub and spoke system is an interesting topic. On one hand they create terrific congestion with the banks of flights that arrive at the hubs at and around the same time of day. On the other hand how can you get around them? Economics created the hub and spoke system in the first place. How else can you provide air service for someone flying out of Toledo to Tokyo? Or even Greensboro, SC to Appleton, WI?

Low cost no frill airlines are already here. Some will survive. Some will not. Independence comes to mind. It operates mostly CRJs. Will it survive? Who can say? Southwest kicks ass. But it's routes are limited and include domestic destinations only. Will it survive? Sure. Will it kick ass for another 30 years? I don't know.

The whole mess in this industry is way too complicated. I'm glad my little corner in it is about as stable as any corner in this profession gets. If I had to guess. I would guess that Northwest will eventually transfer the lions share of it's domestic flying to it's regional partners. I think Northwest mainline should focus on international routes. Not that it matters what I think.

Domino
08-23-05, 08:43
I feel their link Business class are a waste of time. I also feel the hub model will go and with it NW. Cebu are now going to fly Cebu_Osaka. Tokyo, maybe Haneda, will follow soon. NW, meanwhile, keep almost an entire hotel going in Tokyo with it being their huge and hugely expensive hub.
I think the first thing they will have to do is, as you suggest, divest their US commitments. Still, it is a tricky business and many more airlines will probably fail before things work themselves out. As most of us travel a lot by necessity or design, your insights are very much appreciated.
I remember in Lebanon a few years ago, at the height of the civil war, meeting an Aussie pilot who had been laid off by Ansett (I was there on business; he was there looking for a job). As we listened to the mortars in the distance, he recounted to me happier tmes when he flew for Ansett and they would circle a remote farmhouse for a joke and to say G'day. I pitied the poor fucker, having to abandon that to go to a war zone for a job. But when Iraq Air gets going, that is where many civilian US pilots will be headed. Many of us will stil be going to LOS, if there are airlines going our way.
Of course, an end to cheap foreign holidays would have its upside too as we would not have to suffer so many low class people flying. But hat would entail a different airline model.
Anway, thanks for the insights and now to catch up on the fiesta.
Salamat

Duniawala
08-23-05, 17:42
FFT

I guess I misunderstood your big post. After your reply, it seems that you are warning us to be careful as NWA planes may not be safe to fly. Yes, that is a legit discussion for this board. My apologies, I should have read between the lines.

But I don't think NW would be careless enough to fly non-certified planes and risk a crippling blow to its operation, if an accident were to happen.

Anyway, I try to avoid flying NWA because it's are cramped and the service leaves a lot to be desired for.

Duniawala
08-23-05, 17:53
Talked to my travel agent and he said that the n/s flight LAX-BKK has been cancelled. Apparently, some VP of Thai Air got fired and I guess he was in charge of this. Oh well, I will just have to land at midnight again.

LittleBigMan
08-23-05, 19:02
Fly for Thai comments on MEL, is right on the money with his post.

I don't want to spend anytime discussing how airlines operates but I do want to add my 2 cents concerning labor unions. I have work as a manager for a major airline in my younger days and thereafter worked outside the industry with unions and the trucking industry. Today I am back with the airline industry working for the unions until I retire to make changes in government for the airline unions workers.

Although I have inside information on the NWA and AMFA union strike I will only say NWA, wants 176 million in concession from this group yet they have spent in the last few months nearly 100 million dollars to hire replacement workers. With AMFA, they had nearly 10,000 mechanics in 2000 now they only have 4,500 and majority of them are stationed at their hubs. If the unions were to settle for the company offer, 2,000 of those jobs outside of the hubs would have been gone and outsourced. Why would the members vote for a package that would cause them to loose their jobs. They have nothing to loose! Right or wrong they are on Strike!

When it comes to Safety Fly for Thai being a pilot knows the daily stories of what goes on in the airlines. The close calls everyday that the public never hears about. When it comes to the FAA, why do you think they call them the tombs stone agency.
Take for example USAir, Even before 9/11 this company has been cutting and cutting for nearly 20 years and still they are losing money! Many on the inside feel with the many accidents that this might have something to do with it all the cost cutting measure through the years. (just a inside feeling)

After 9/11 we created the largest agency in this country. If you think you are safe because you have TSA ( Thousand standing around ) you are fooling yourself. The people who manage TSA are mostly former managers and supervisor of airlines who couldn't make decisions that got laid off after 9/11 and now they are entrusted with our safety. The salaries of TSA managers, supervisors etc..
far exceed any employee working for an airline yet the airlines complains about airline workers salaries.

There are airlines employees that have not seen raises for example, USAirway workers have been taking pay cuts for 20 years even before 9/11. A Ground crew worker 30 years seniority is making $15.00 an hours today and in 1986 that same employee was making $16.98. Today in PHL, they are hiring workers out of prison because the work is too hard for an hourly wage of $9.00 when Starbucks pays more!

The problem is not with labor it with the airline business plans! Southwest although a low cost carrier employees are the highest paid in the industry and they are all Union members! Today it is NWA, tomorrow it might be Delta, General Motors, Hertz Rental car, this strike is not just about labor it will flow into the white collar sector. Don't think for a minutes that once the other airlines fall that Southwest and Jetblue will offer you low fares! Enjoy it while it last!

Just my 2 cent on labor and now back to you normal station program.
SEX IN THE CITY OF LOS!

Fly for Thai
08-23-05, 20:53
But I don't think NW would be careless enough to fly non-certified planes and risk a crippling blow to its operation, if an accident were to happen.

I agree with you that no commercial operation would intentionally put passengers or crew in an obviously unsafe and unairworthy aircraft. I agree that there isn't someone sitting at a boardroom table right now saying "just put some duct tape on it and go!" However, management can create an environment that results in cutting corners, taking shortcuts and pushing for too much while providing too little. Very few accidents occur do to a single oversight. It's usually a chain of events. The tone that management sets can often be the first link in that chain.

(Let me step up on my soapbox here) Safety does not just happen! Passengers have become so accustomed to flying safely that they don't even think about it when they purchase a ticket! You can cut and cut and cut! Eventually, you will get what you pay for!

(Stepping off of soapbox) That being said. I trust the engineers and designers of today's commercial aircraft. I trust the men and women in this country that maintain those aircraft. Even though I believe that the FAA resources are being stretched too thin, I trust that the FAA Inspectors and Examiners have one overriding goal. And that is to ensure the safety of the public. I know that anyone that operates an aircraft for a part 121 operation (public commercial operation) is well trained and constantly reevaluated. For these reasons I believe that flying NWA can still be considered safe.

There is always risk. Managing risk is what we do. Whether you hobby in Thailand or whether you fly for a living.

One last thing. The next time you are on a NWA flight, slap the Flight Attendant on the ass for me. Since they are all 60+ years old and no one has thought of doing that to them for about 30 years, I'm sure they'll appreciate it. : )

The Traveler
08-23-05, 22:28
Talked to my travel agent and he said that the n/s flight LAX-BKK has been cancelled. Apparently, some VP of Thai Air got fired and I guess he was in charge of this. Oh well, I will just have to land at midnight again.
Duni,

damn right, he was fired and all Thai Air employees will loose their bonuses for this year as well, which normally equals 5 months salary.

JuiceSpike
08-24-05, 00:27
Any of you guys would be interested in buying my 274K NW miles? I will sell for cheap.

I'm flying next week with them and I can't wait for to experience delays or cancellation...

I predict that NW will survive and show a profit by the end of the 4th quarter. Of course if they are smart they should continue to show loses to justify their cost cutting tactics. But stcokholders are starting to get pissy... Also, recently 2 top execs of the company sold a large number of their shares. Early bailout?

juice

Jaimito Cartero
08-24-05, 01:33
Juice - While it against the terms and conditions to sell or barter NW miles, I as a friend am sure we could come to some agreement. :)

PM me if you're really interested.

Jaimito Cartero
08-24-05, 01:45
With AMFA, they had nearly 10,000 mechanics in 2000 now they only have 4,500 and majority of them are stationed at their hubs.

Not to get into the Union/Non Union discussion, but the numbers as I read them are 4500 AMFA *members*. Many of these are aircraft cleaners. I believe the actual number of mechanics is 3000 or less. I think most US airlines (if not all) have long ago subcontracted all cleaners out. To pay a cleaner $40,000 a year does seem a bit much.

The whole world is changing. Many of us fly to Thailand to fuck cute, inexpensive chicas. We're taking the dollars away from the fat, expensive chicas, who now have to shop at Walmart instead of Macy's.

If oil goes back down to $25 a barrel, it will make many of these airlines much more profitable. I think you will see a couple fewer US airline companies five years from now. Either through liquidation, or merger. US/HP will come soon, and probably Delta, UA, Continental and NW will probably do something.

1Ball
08-24-05, 01:54
juice, I'll give you 5 biergarden STs and all the pics you can take in exchange for your miles.
I'll throw in lunch down the little allleyway, (does it have a name or a number) next time we are both in LOs at the same time.

JuiceSpike
08-24-05, 03:54
JC,

I was kidding. I need them for upgrades. But if NW goes down the miles may become worthless. The airline already makes it hard sometimes to use the miles..

1 ball,

You are so generous and on top you throw in lunch in the alley...? Hmm, 5 girls all the pics I want? I'm tempted... I will let you know next time I see you...:D

juicer

Fly for Thai
08-24-05, 04:22
Not to get into the Union/Non Union discussion, but the numbers as I read them are 4500 AMFA *members*. Many of these are aircraft cleaners. I believe the actual number of mechanics is 3000 or less. I think most US airlines (if not all) have long ago subcontracted all cleaners out. To pay a cleaner $40,000 a year does seem a bit much.

I can't argue that $40,000 isn't too much to pay a cleaner. My apologies to those out there that are doing that job. I would however like to point out that $40,000 is the top gross pay. And assumes a bit of overtime or perhaps you are assuming a pay for performance program? Here are the actual pay rates that I've found (possibly old information). Let me know if you have found different pay rates:
Northwest Airlines Aircraft Cleaner Base Pay Progression (5 year top-out)
Start $8.61
After 1-1/2 years $9.40
After 3 years $11.24
After 4-1/2 years $14.15
After 5 years $18.23

Here is the current best final offer before the strike - all in - pay rate after 5 years: $15.69. That works out to about $35,000 a year assuming a fair amount of overtime and pay for performance bonuses. Not a bad paycheck for someone that wants to do an honest days work for an honest days pay, without all the fuss of higher education, specialized training or entrepreneurial risk taking. But is this strike about money?

P.S. $35,000=1,430,000 Thai baht give or take... Can a LBFM freelancer make that in a year?

Jaimito Cartero
08-24-05, 04:48
JC,

I was kidding. I need them for upgrades. But if NW goes down the miles may become worthless. The airline already makes it hard sometimes to use the miles..r

You use miles for upgrades? I've never done that (really). I either get free tickets, or, er, I get free tickets. :)

I just blew my wad (220K) on a RTW trip in Biz class. 17 segments, 6 continents, 50k miles. You've got to be a pretty patient fuck to redeem them. I know more about the award that 90% of NW employees now.

JuiceSpike
08-24-05, 16:41
JC,

What I meant was that I use the miles for cash & miles tickets which you probably know about or to get a free ticket. :)

juice

1Ball
08-24-05, 16:44
OK, Juice, you drive a hard bargain. 5 ST's , lunch, AND, your cab fare from the airport.

Final offer, think hard.

:)

Jaimito Cartero
08-24-05, 18:02
JC,

What I meant was that I use the miles for cash & miles tickets which you probably know about or to get a free ticket. :)

juice

But, but, but, you don't get flight MILES for a miles and cash ticket! That's like giving a girl 3000 baht and not having her do anything. The horror. (Please intone, "We must get more miles").

Since you have so many miles, you might consider a RTW award ticket. It's only 140k miles in coach, or 220k in Biz (or 280k in FC, but many don't have FC, so it's a bit of a waste).

You can spread it out over an entire year, have 6 stops. I just finally got mine ticketed (It's a beach to set up, that's for sure), but I put a lot of fun mongering spots in it (BKK, EZE, SJO), plus Australia, Egypt and day stopovers in Seoul and Amsterdam and a week in Copenhagen.

I'm hoping a couple of more airlines join the Skyteam partnership, as I'd like to fly Malaysian Air, and maybe Copa (For less connection time). Current partners are KLM, NW, Continental, Delta, Korean, Alitalia, Air France, Czech, Aeromexico. At least I can refund or change this award ticket for free since I'm a NW Plat.

Jaimito Cartero
08-24-05, 18:06
OK, Juice, you drive a hard bargain. 5 ST's , lunch, AND, your cab fare from the airport.

Final offer, think hard.

:)

Offer to pay the tolls on the cab too!

LittleBigMan
08-24-05, 18:08
JC,

The 4500 numbers are a generalization! yes if broken down they are cleaners.
The AMFA unions leaders have for decades been in conflict with the other unions within their own airlines this is why they are now on their own. In the very last days before the strike AMFA union leaders met with NW and agreed to the release of the 2,000 jobs but wanted "credit" from NW for the lost of these jobs. Showing a sign of weakness from the AMFA leaders NW decline and went for the throat. In the machinist union website there is a copy of this such request from AMFA.

Personally I don't think 40,000 is too much for a cleaner. It is equal pay for equal work. Their jobs includes many task like dumping the shit from the aircraft that us sex mongers dispose into. Next time you are in SFO, waiting and having a bit to eat look for the cleaners around the airport and look at want they do! They are employee's of the city and they start at over $15.00 a hour. We complain about the private sector but indirectly you are paying their salaries. Why is it we don't complain about local, state, and Federal employees salaries that are not in relation to the private sector?

Next time in SFO, look out the window before you board the aircraft and watch some employee's being searched prior to boarding the aircraft on the ground level. The airlines are paying $30.00 an hour to the contracting security company yet they don't want to pay a cleaner.

Legacy airlines are being run like our government. They want to break unions and cut labor cost! The saying at USAirways Unions is that they can work for nothing and they would still loose money! After all the force cuts they were in the red for 62 million this quarter. In a research by the unions on airline spending here is an example of one of their spending. Those reflector vest you see ground crew workers wearing are purchased by each airlines by the thousands and most pay $18.00 per vest. Those same vest can be purchased at Home Depot for $4.99 tops. Those airline magazines you see on each seat pocket are shipped by the thousands in the underbelly of the aircrafts and are off loaded and dumped in the garbage because their are too many. The fuel cost to ship these items run into thousands of dollars. The list goes on and on! You can bash labor so long but the problems are the CEO of these airlines that walk away with millions for doing a failing job and getting life time benefits and retirement for a few years of work!

With my source at NW, the price of my ticket is $660.00 but I can't cross the picket line. So I just going to wait it out.

LBM

1Ball
08-24-05, 19:15
Offer to pay the tolls on the cab too!

JC, let's not forget these are NW miles, not SQ.
I'll pay the first toll, Juice, you are on your own after that.

JuiceSpike
08-24-05, 19:49
1 ball,

Hmm, and the cab too? Let's see the deal is now at: 5 ST with pictures, lunch in the alley and a cab fare from the airport and the first toll. Enticing.

Maybe this: No cab fare but add a 6th girl (now I have 3 pairs :)) and you can skip the lunch too. But I get to choose the girls over a week time since beergarden hosts lots of ugly ones...

Sounds good?

juice

JuiceSpike
08-24-05, 20:20
JC,

You make a good point but if I use 140K or 220K for biz class I would not get any miles rewards either and have used a big chunk or all of the miles...

With cash and miles tickets I don't get rewards either but I spread out the number of miles I use for trips. For example:

For one ticket I give them 15K and pay $450 (approx.) for a RT to BKK. So over a period of four trips to BKK I have used 60K and still have many miles left for other travel and have paid close to half or less in cash on a regular ticket.

I'm sure we are boring the rest of the mongers with our chit chat on miles...:D

juicer

Jaimito Cartero
08-24-05, 20:58
JC,

You make a good point but if I use 140K or 220K for biz class I would not get any miles rewards either and have used a big chunk or all of the miles...

With cash and miles tickets I don't get rewards either but I spread out the number of miles I use for trips. For example:

For one ticket I give them 15K and pay $450 (approx.) for a RT to BKK. So over a period of four trips to BKK I have used 60K and still have many miles left for other travel and have paid close to half or less in cash on a regular ticket.

I'm sure we are boring the rest of the mongers with our chit chat on miles...:D

juicer

Well, this is the travel planning forum, so I'll just post anyway. :)

I don't know how much you fly now, but you can easily integrate a RTW award into normal tickets that get you miles. I don't know how many miles you get, and what status you have, but if you do a RTW and hit all your favorite mongering stops, flying back from cheap places to the US, you'd be doing pretty good.

Sample itin: LAX-ICN Korean Biz Class (Or NW via NRT). Stay a day to break the trip up, and then fly to BKK. Stay in Bangkok for 1 or two weeks, but buy a cheap return ticket or a Biz class ticket from the many wholesalers back to LAX. Coach ticket is $600-$700, I think.

Return in a month or two as your schedule allows on the return portion of your ticket purchased in BKK.

Party for a week there, or fly out to your next mongering destination. Maybe the Phillipines or Indonesia? Visit 1Ball in Bali, or hang out in CJ's in Jakarta. Then head off to Europe. Amsterdam maybe? Germany? Russia? Find some place that you can get a cheap return from. Fall and spring are usually the best times to get good rates here.

Go back later on the return portion, and then pick your next destination. Air France has a direct flight to Buenos Aires from Paris, or Alitalia has one from Milan. Or maybe Brazil is more your flavor. You can usually find reasonable ($600-$700) RT fares from BA or Brazil back to the US.

Then decide if you want to go to Curaco, Colombia or some other northern or southern American destination.

You could do a whole years worth of mongering this way. The taxes on the RTW award run $300 or so (Depending on number of connections, airport fees, etc) You can have up to 6 stops (24 hours or less is not a stop), must move one basic direction (e-w, w-e). You can do Australia too, but it's a tad tricky.

You could pay $2000-$3000 for your cheap tickets back to the US from some of the destinations, and earn over 125,000 frequent flier miles if you're a platinum elite. If you're not Plat, you end up missing out on a lot of free upgrades (even intl), and you don't get the ability to change award tickets for free and get into Skyteam lounges on an intl itin for free.

I know you can do this award using miles from NW or DL. I think you can probably do it on any of the other Skyteam members as well. (KLM, NW, CO, DL, Korean, Czech, Aeromexico, Air France and Alitalia). Most of the airlines do not advertise this RTW reward, so if you want to do it, research it a bit.

1Ball
08-24-05, 21:05
1 ball,

Hmm, and the cab too? Let's see the deal is now at: 5 ST with pictures, lunch in the alley and a cab fare from the airport and the first toll. Enticing.

Maybe this: No cab fare but add a 6th girl (now I have 3 pairs :)) and you can skip the lunch too. But I get to choose the girls over a week time since beergarden hosts lots of ugly ones...

Sounds good?

juice

DONE !!!

6 STs at 1,000 each is 6,000 which is 150 US$ for 275,000 miles.

JC, would you mind brokering the transaction for us please.

JuiceSpike
08-24-05, 21:32
1 ball,

Don't get too excited. Now that we have the entertainment part (6 ST girls) of the deal out of the way lets talk about the cash you want to pay for the miles...

Any offers? :D

juice

JuiceSpike
08-24-05, 21:40
JC,

Check your PM box

Fly for Thai
08-25-05, 01:27
... price of my ticket is $660.00 but I can't cross the picket line. So I just going to wait it out.

Good man LittleBigMan.

Anyone else changing their mongering travel plans to avoid crossing a picket line?

Duniawala
08-25-05, 05:57
Hate to say this but it's time for a reality check. How much one makes is based on the market. The US is after all a capitalistic society.

Do you think that an engineer with a Masters degree and 15+ years of experience making less than a software engineer with 5-6 years of experience is fair. Heck a NASA scientist with a PHD and 20+ years of experience makes less than the software guy with 8 yeras of experience and has a BS degree to boot.

While I sympathise with you guys, it is a cruel world. If you are talking of all the waste that the airlines have (like vests and magazines) why isn't there a talk between the management and the unions to get rid of the waste. I could be wrong but there must be an inherent distrust between the two to even talk to each other.

Just my 2 cents!

P.S. I try not to fly NW because it has one of the worst services I have experienced not to say UA is any better. I prefer any Asian airline to American or European airline, just for the service.

Jaimito Cartero
08-25-05, 08:23
DONE !!!

6 STs at 1,000 each is 6,000 which is 150 US$ for 275,000 miles.

JC, would you mind brokering the transaction for us please.

Sure, no problem. I'll take care of the miles for you. :)

Butt Ugly
08-25-05, 11:50
Neither snow, sleet rain or picket lines will stop me from crossing picket lines when it comes to returning to The Kingdom. !! I made my plans on NWA long before I heard about a strike. Besides other Unions in the airline industry have taken pay cuts. So what makes NWA mechanics so damn special?? I will take my chances and hope my flights get off the ground. If they don't I will do a "refusal to pay on my credit card".
Next trip going to try EVA Evergreen class to see if the extra room and reclining seats are worth the extra cash. Anyone one use EVA Evergreen and have an opinions about the service?

Good man LittleBigMan.

Anyone else changing their mongering travel plans to avoid crossing a picket line?

1Ball
08-25-05, 14:35
Good man LittleBigMan.

just throwing in my 2 baht here, not wanting to start another war, as the board has been friendly for the last 18 seconds, but I would not change any plans in order to not cross a picket line. I have never belived in strikes, I grew up in a country riddled with transportation strikes, and it was a nightmare.

Never thought much of unions, and IMHO opinion, they have much too much power. I feel bad for the employees of NW, but I am never going to support someone who strikes, for any reason. It is a legal form of blackmail, and I want no part of it.

again, IMHO, of course

LittleBigMan
08-25-05, 18:49
Duniawala,

Although your comparison is valid my opinions was based on the exact same type of job. There is a big difference with your comparisons!
My point is why are airlines against paying someone a fare wage to clean a plane and yet they don't complain about the wages that a cleaner makes around the airport that they pay indirectly to the airport through landing fees.

The reality is the business in this country won't pay for what the market is based, if that was the case why would you not pay a cleaner $15 and hour to clean an aircraft and they would gladly pay a civil service city employee more to do a lesser job? Yes we are a capitalistic society but we want to pay 3rd world wages! If the US is going to preach how great our country is then it should practice what it preaches and business in our great country should not sell Americans down the river for only the bottom line. There is supposed to be a balance right now it is heading downhill!

As in the USAirways situation, many of these saving suggestions were made by the Unions but their goals is not to save money but to reduce labor cost at all cost! How can you agree when you are talking to a wall!

Butt Ugly,

NWA, mechanics are not special, they are push up against the wall right now! How can anyone agree on a contract that would doom their jobs! It's not just the pay cuts, NWA goals are to rid themselves of all mechanics and outsource all jobs! Don't worry about your flight all tickets are being honored by other Airlines. For example if the flight out of SFO/BKK cancel, you will be protected on JAL, which leave around the same time.

Unless the strike end soon, I have no intention of changing my plans to the LOS in November. For myself out of my own principle I will pay the higher fare on Cathay Pacific or swim but I do respect the rights of other to do what they need to do!

No more on this subject! Thank you for your ear and time!
LBM

Naughty
08-26-05, 02:54
Duniawala,

Yes we are a capitalistic society but we want to pay 3rd world wages! If the US is going to preach how great our country is then it should practice what it preaches and business in our great country should not sell Americans down the river for only the bottom line. There is supposed to be a balance right now it is heading downhill!

LBMHear Him, Hear Him! I'm not union myself, and would be in the $hit if certain people knew this, but I believe unions are the only reason any of us make more than a minimal amount, or have any benefits to speak of if we are employed by others.

The threat alone raises up many of us above where we could be. I personally see no reason why the upper muckedy mucks in my place of employment should make so much. They are by and large a bunch of lazy, fat, good old boys who are basically incompetant and use their little network to screw the employees rob the shareholders, and pay off the regulators with trips and meals and toppless (and sometimes bottomless carry golf outings.

Domino
08-26-05, 04:21
LBM: Though I am pro union and anti Nazi, yet I like to live in the real world. The facts are that oil prices are going to continue to rise for a variety of reasons, that cut price airlines are going to continue to take market share, that customers are going to continue to look for bargain basement deals and that airline companies will have to continue to trim costs. Normally, when a company finds itself in that situation, it trims where it can: labor costs. NWA, most probably with the backing of other airlines, have to cut costs or they wil die: their only possible target it to cut labor costs. Airport landing fees and the cushy numbers cleaners might be on are beyond them. For now. The cut price airlines usually bypass the big airpots with their big overheads, labor costs included. How long before Pattaya Airport is opened up to a Southwest clone?
Another point: why do people fly to LOS anyway? Answer: cheap labor costs in everything from pussy to hotels to airports.
Unions exist to defend and promote the interests of their members and Westerners owe them a huge debt of gratitude because they have been one of the main forces for social progress since the 19th century. But times move on and unions lose their key strengths.
The idea of the boycott is also probably dated as it is hard to target. This is all the more so in the airline travel indusrtry where so many people want to fly to Asia to avail of the cheap prices which derive from their denial of human rights and the power of collective bargaining.
And again, when I chew the cud with NW pilots, this is what they tell me, mostly in fear of their long term prospects.

Duckman
08-26-05, 06:47
I'm going to China after visiting Thailand. Do anyone know how difficult it may be to take a Thai girl to China for a vacation.

Thanks,
Duckman

JuiceSpike
08-26-05, 14:12
NW Top Executives,

Al Checchi, former co-chairman sold stocks early this year in the value of: $26,366,929

Gary Wilson, the chairman sold shares as recently as last week in the value of: $19,460,889

Doug Steenland, CEO although still retains most of his stake has sold this year $608,169

Why are these guys selling out big? To cash in before the airline enters bankruptcy which would allow the business to seek refuge from creditors while it works out a cost cutting reorganization plan. The strike is a perfect component part of the reorganizing plan. But bankruptcy brings the stock value down so sell before its too late.

Fast Eddie 48
08-26-05, 21:45
I'm going to China after visiting Thailand. Do anyone know how difficult it may be to take a Thai girl to China for a vacation.

Thanks,

DuckmanI don't think is very hard. Go to the China consulate in Bangkok to get a visa. I'm not sure the cost. I am a US citizen. Is $ 50.00 USD for tourist visa, 30 days one entry.

There is many talent in china you should come alone. I think Chinese girl is much more pretty than Thai and more GFE than Thai.

Fast Eddie 48

Jaimito Cartero
08-27-05, 03:55
Well, the stock has dropped about 50% the last year, so I'd say that selling was a good idea. There have a number of big investors who have come in over the last month and snapped up large positions. I think that shows a lot of confidence.

Naughty
08-27-05, 10:26
I will be is BKK the 28th and 30th. Anybody wants to get together for a tipple, PM me.

JuiceSpike
08-27-05, 13:47
Why bring a hired girl to China? Unless she is your gf you might regret doing it... Lots of horny girls in China.

juice

Duckman
08-28-05, 01:11
Guys,

Yeap, she's the girlfriend. I don't know what I would do without all the nagging I get and the "Where are you going?" questions. I've gotten a Chinese Visa in Bangkok for myself on a previous visit but I've never considered taking the girlfriend with me before. I know it's very difficult to take her to the USA but I wasn't sure about China.

Thanks,
Duckman

The Traveler
08-28-05, 11:58
Duckman,

why not tell her straight away that you are going to have some fun in China or call it a sightseeing or biz trip.

If I would be you I would definitely go alone (you know why).

Cheers

Coma Boy
08-29-05, 06:33
I'm going to China after visiting Thailand. Do anyone know how difficult it may be to take a Thai girl to China for a vacation.Go alone! Go alone! Go alone!

You'll be contemplating suicide within an hour if you take a girl there.

Duckman
08-31-05, 06:23
Traveler,

She's already told me what she'd do if I had too much fun without her. She even came after me with a butcher knife once when I tried to dump her. Vacation without her wouldn't work but biz trip could.

Duniawala
08-31-05, 06:53
Traveler,

She's already told me what she'd do if I had too much fun without her. She even came after me with a butcher knife once when I tried to dump her. Vacation without her wouldn't work but biz trip could.
Duckman
Are you crazy? What are you doing with this woman? It's time to run and leave Dodge City. Do you think that a biz trip is going to get you the Chinese pussy and you are going to be spared from the butcher knife. You are a perfect Bobbit case.

My prayers are with you.

Coma Boy
08-31-05, 09:44
You should cut her fucking head off before she stabs you or something.

Mimonger
08-31-05, 23:23
What you do is send her to an African tribe for a week (maybe in Sudan). When she realizes that she has it made she can use the butcher knife for putting food on the table that you provide her. If all out fails, tell her you be back in 2 days and mail her a Dear Jane: letter from China.

M&M

Firedick
09-01-05, 04:34
Dental work.

Will be in BKK Sept. 8 to 15. Pattaya 9/15 to 9/25 then ???? LOS until early Nov.

PM me to hook up.

FD

Freeler
09-01-05, 15:07
Firedick,

Welcome back!

Dental work is a good reason to visit Thailand.
Where's the dentist at? If you're still looking, pm me for a really good one in Pattaya.

Freeler

Dinghy
09-01-05, 16:12
Free knows - I took his advice - been back to the guy 3 times now (each trip)

Asia Friend
09-01-05, 17:20
Hello Gent's,

Will be anybody in Pattaya between 13. and 23. of Sept.? Will be nice to met someone of you for a drink.

Freeler
09-01-05, 18:46
Dinghy,

Please confirm that you "been back to the guy 3 times now" for N-E-W work, not redos:(.

Dinghy
09-02-05, 05:45
OK - 1 crown first time - the fit was a wee bit off and I didin't catch it until I got home and had to have the root of the crown planed. The last 2 times were 2X each crowns at 8000B each with no additional problems - I got stuff done FIRST rather than LAST the last 2 trips.and then the insurance picke dup 50% as well (paid for the airfare, actually) don't know if anything will need done this trip, but if it does, he will do it. ABC dental - Soi 5 between beach and 2nd road about 100m toward the beach off 2nd

Freeler
09-02-05, 13:32
Dinghy, Firedick,

It's actually:
APC dental
(as in Dr. Aphichai Kitsadayurat),
78/60 Pattaya Soi 5,
Pattaya

His work saved me a good $1,500, he's definitely a better craftsman than my dentist at home, he works way faster and he kept asking: "Are you comfortable".
Oh, and small bills are always appealing when you are

Freeler

Firedick
09-02-05, 16:58
Thanks for the welcome back !

I read your past posts about APC. Sounds good. I plan to visit "Bangkok Dental" in Suk for a cleaning and eval, then go Pattaya and APC to compare.

I appreciate the input guys.

FD

Coma Boy
09-02-05, 17:26
Perhaps y'all should concentrate on prevention, rather than cure.

Cut back on the sugary snacks, floss from time to time, and brush the whiskey and pussy-juice off those pearly whites before you snooze each night.

Freeler
09-02-05, 17:52
Coma,

My first dentist was a fuck-up. One would think that he was one of those 'never been to school, yet became a surgeon' type doctors. I can't begin to tell the horrors that man caused me and the rest of the family.
Fortunately the devil called him before all :D was lost.

2Cool
09-03-05, 01:10
Hello,

I will be in Bangkok Sept.20 to 27.

This will be my first trip to Bangkok, I would very much appreciate any tips/advice you can give me.

I have read 5 Night Itinerary post by Phuquer and found it very informative.

Feel free to PM me. thank you

Skinner2
09-03-05, 01:43
Anyone going to be around BKK/Pattaya around the 2nd week of October?

The Traveler
09-03-05, 11:20
Traveler,

Duckman,

since I know you and your GF there is only one advice I can give :

RUN, run fast and run far away from her.

She is a troublemaker and ever will be.
You deserve something better. You come to LOS to have fun and not to see your boss.

Firedick
09-06-05, 19:50
Logging out until arrivial in BKK.

CYA

FD

Mimonger
09-06-05, 22:57
I am heading to LOS in Oct. for 3 weeks. I remember the last time there was something with customs prohibiting camcorders or something to that affect. Can someone help me out here. Can I bring a cam-corder?

Also anyone have advise on Chaing Rai? I haven't seen much on here about the place. I was thinking of doing a couple of days there, as well as Trat. And where is Isan? I cann't seem to locate that on my map.

Thanks for the help,

Happy Mongering.

M&M

Duniawala
09-07-05, 15:12
I am heading to LOS in Oct. for 3 weeks. I remember the last time there was something with customs prohibiting camcorders or something to that affect. Can someone help me out here. Can I bring a cam-corder?M&M
Yes, you can. No restrictions

Also anyone have advise on Chaing Rai? I haven't seen much on here about the place. I was thinking of doing a couple of days there, as well as Trat. M&M
RTFF with CHIANG RAI not Chaing Rai. Take the time to learn the proper spelling. Not much mongering but a tourist place in the Golden Triangle.

And where is Isan? I cann't seem to locate that on my map.M&M
Buy a new map and make sure it is a Thailand political map not geographical.

For all newbies: If you are going to a new place, take the time to read and know about it. This forum is for only one thing prmarily - whoring. It's not The Travel Channel. Read Lonely Planet or Frommers. Look at a world map to see where in the world Thailand is.

Domino
09-07-05, 15:28
Chiang Rai: Has been reported by Skinless, Domino and Freeler in the Other section. All concur it is quietish mongering wise. Coma Boy might also have leads. There is one small area.
Isaan: Check Korat and Other threads. Isaan is shorthand for Isaan and surrounding provinces. Alexander, Skinless, Domino, Freeler and some more have reported on those places.
Trat: Very much to the east. Some (more) temples, French influence, a few islands and not much more.
Your itinerary: The places you intend to visit will take you a very long time by train/bus. If you are going by plane, you might find one or other of these palces enough for a short trip. Few tourists go to Isaan or Traat so know what you are going to.
Camcorders: Strictly speaking, you should declare all such items on arrival. I never do and so far no problem.

Freeler
09-07-05, 15:44
Mimonger,

Never mind a typo:D! (And travel plans and travel advice go together well...)

Like Domino just said, Trat and CR are very far apart. OTOH there are direct buses from Rayong - not too far from Trat - all the way to CR and on to Mae Sai. BTW up there, when you hear 'Shanghai', they mean Chiang Rai.
Maps: Get a bilingual map as soon as you can. Not that Thais can read maps:(, but it can be helpful if you know where you're going but fail to let the words come out correctly.
Isaan is a huge place, East of Loei, Chayapum, Korat and North of Cambodia, South and West of the Mekong River, it's all Isaan.

Other long distance buses that may be of help for your itinerary:

CR to Pitsanulok, Korat, connect to Ubon
CR to Pitsanulok, Loei, UdonThani and Nakhon Phanom
CR to Pitsanulok, KhonKaen, connect to Ubon, Nakhon Phanom

Coma Boy
09-07-05, 16:27
Also anyone have advise on Chaing Rai?Yes, RTFF, mostly the Other-Areas and CM threads probably.

And where is Isan? I can't seem to locate that on my map.Issan is the North-East of Thailand, probably the largest chunk of the whole country. Someone like you should probably start in areas where English is spoken though.

Duniawala
09-08-05, 06:16
Sorry for being too terse with you.

Here is a map of Thailand

Isaan is the North Eastern Province

Seeko
09-08-05, 12:01
I'm flying in late this Friday, 9 Sep, and returning late Monday, 12 Sep.

Currently, I'm booked at Ruamchitt Plaza - Bangkok.

Let me know if anyone want to meet up and share mongering stories from around the world.

Seeko

JuiceSpike
09-08-05, 13:46
Questions

I have to travel to London from the US for a week then I was thinking of flying from London to Bangkok for a week:

1. How long is the flight?
2. Any good airlines that flies direct?

Thanks.... and please don't tell me to RTFF :D

juice

Sxer
09-08-05, 15:16
Questions

I have to travel to London from the US for a week then I was thinking of flying from London to Bangkok for a week:

1. How long is the flight?
2. Any good airlines that flies direct?

Thanks.... and please don't tell me to RTFF :D

juice11 Hours direct flight.

British Airways
Thai Airways
EVA
Quantas

And many others also fly direct from Heathrow to Bangkok

Freeler
09-08-05, 15:43
Juice,

British Airways.
USA-LHR... USA? LA, SF, NY?
LHR-->BKK, non stop, about 10 hrs, +6 hour time difference until end of October (end of EU daylight saving time).

JuiceSpike
09-08-05, 17:40
Thanks Freeler and Sxer... good info.

Hmm, 11 hours to get there from the UK... not bad when the pay off is :p

juicer

Freeler
09-08-05, 17:55
Juice,

If you don't need the USA-LHR leg from the same airline, then Thai can be convenient for your return from BKK: Thai check in is always open at Don Muang (You know the drill: check in when it's quiet - go get laid:) - return 15 mins before departure).
BA of course have that advantage at LHR, apart from the getting laid bit:(.
I flew EVA once and I'll never fly them again - not even if they let me on and paid me.
Never flew Quantas.

Domino
09-08-05, 18:58
The airline Rainman chooses is an excellent airline if you like coort and cheap booze and can put up with Australians, who tend to be a vulgar, nasally intoned lot. I would choose it over the others. If you are a cheap Charlie, London has plenty of cheap bucket shops so getting a cheap ticket should be easy. All kinds of whacky ex Asian Soviet airlines will bring you from London to Bkk via some camel dung place in Central Asia. No shortage of choice either direct or with stop overs. Check the bucket shops when you get there.
But why go to Thailand? Why not try somewhere else instead? Lots of African and Asian skanks need fucking too. Skip the Philippines though as I am fucking them for you.

Mimonger
09-09-05, 00:39
Thanks everyone for the info. I have been to Thailand a few times, but have only stuck with BKK and Pattaya. I want to explore out more this time, and thought about going north or east. I see alot of instability with the south (muslims) and think it would be wise for me to avoid right now. I am going to be in LOS for roughly 2 1/2 weeks.

Thanks for the tip on Isaan, I thought it was a providnce but was not sure. I am doing a ton of research, hotels, tourist attractions, dive spots, mogering, etc. Alot of info. I also plan on riding the trains aleast once, and flying (domestic) atleast once. Thanks for all the help, will post trip reports while I am there, and will try pic's this time. Thanks Again, M&M

Coma Boy
09-09-05, 03:40
Okay, from Heathrow to Don Muang the best choice is Thai Airways. Second choice is Emirates (with a coffee break in Dubai). Third- perhaps Singapore Airlines (stopping at Singapore, obviously).

Both British Airways and Qantas are total shit.

(I've only ever flown business so things may be different in cattle, am scared to even think about it, *shudder*).

But Domino makes a good point; If you're in London why not take advantage of somewhere nearer London, if it's *****s you want then London has Eastern Europe on its doorstep (although most of E. Europe is now in London), or drop down into Africa, or go hang in Spain- Madrid is a very cool city, and Spanish chicks are hot. Or go for a smoking trip in Amsterdam, or a fighting trip to the North of England.

Coma Boy
09-09-05, 08:58
I see alot of instability with the South (Muslims) and think it would be wise for me to avoid right now.

I also plan on riding the trains at least once, and flying (domestic) at least once. Don't worry about the South, things are fine. Although you'd be wise to avoid Pattani and Yala, but no-one goes there anyway. Everywhere else; Hat Yai, Songkhla, etcetera, is fine.

And a domestic flight- jeez you're brave! Beware the heat, the flies, the filth, the diseases and those ghastly natives.

AGL
09-09-05, 11:06
Gentlemen - I am mid travel in Asia already and am only now realizing I may have a problem but I can not get a definitive answer from anyone. I expect to arrive in Thailand next week but have discovered in one country already that due to my passport expiring in Jan 06 (which makes it valid less than six months) I was almost refused entry.

In searching various web sites including official Thai gov site, the closest answer I can locate is that it is "recommended that it be valid for not less than 6 months". But it does not say required. I'm worried about ending up not being allowed entry on a technicality.

It's a US passport so normally I am allowed up to 30 days no VISA required. But when I read the info on VISA requirments for non exempt countries, it clearly states that for a VISA a passport must be valid more than 6 months.

I'm confused and worried. The Thai Embassy where I am hasn't been able to give me a definitive answer either... Can anyone out there help me with this question? And if they require 6 month valid passport even for exempt country passports then would there be a way around it?

One additional question - I notice below that Mimonger says he's heard of instability in the South. Hopefully he doesn't mean Pattaya or the land between from Don Muan. Is there anything for a whitebread American to be worried about in Thailand at this moment?

Thanks in advance,
agl

PosterLion
09-09-05, 12:10
AGL,

I think you should go to the American Embassy in the country you currently reside in and apply for a new passport.

There are no white bread problems in Bangkok or Pattaya. The southern provinces near Malaysia are the problem areas.

poster

Asia Smiles
09-09-05, 13:40
I am traveling from Angeles City, Manila, Singapore with a 4 day stay in Bangkok. Have been to BKK 3 times already but never to Pattaya or Cambodia.

Is Siem Reap worth the trip? Is Pattaya worth the trip?

Any comments appreciated.

AGL
09-09-05, 14:00
Thank you for the suggestion Poster but there isn't enough time. I'm already in mid travel and I'm sure could not get it done in 3 days.

Renewing it will have to wait until I return home from the trip. I just hope it doesn't mean I have to cut my trip short and return home without visiting LOS.

agl.

Duniawala
09-09-05, 16:25
AGL

The US Passport office can issue same day passport on a need basis (extra charges apply). The US consulate and embassies also can issue (I think) the same. Ask your nearest consulate/embassy.

Member #2041
09-09-05, 17:30
Asia Smiles, Siem Reap is worth the trip if you're looking for cultural education - the Temples of Angkor are one of the greatest ancient historical sights on earth, on a par with the finest Mayan cities or the Pyramids in Egypt. There is no other reason to go there, although mongering can be found, it is not up to what will be found almost anywhere in Thailand.

Conversely, Pattaya is ALL about mongering - it's a world class destination to buy sex, but there is really no OTHER reason to go there.

LittleBigMan
09-09-05, 19:16
Northwest Airlines has a special to get their regular customers to fly!

$460.00 plus 20,000 WorldPerk miles from US Gateway City / Bangkok

Long91
09-10-05, 02:30
Northwest Airlines has a special to get their regular customers to fly!

$460.00 plus 20,000 WorldPerk miles from US Gateway City / Bangkok
Yeah, this one came right on time for me. Flying in on Thanksgiving day.

Asia Smiles
09-10-05, 12:59
Thanks for the feedback Member #2041,

I am starting to think I should just go to Pattaya instead of Siem Reap. I'm all for culture, and I sure hope I don't regret it. My last trip to Asia I spent 2 days in Macau, 3 days in Phuket, 1 night in BKK, and 1 in Hong Kong. Hong Kong is a waste of money, Macau is cultural, and lots of girls, and 3 days in Phuket was too much because the girl selection was not as good as BKK.

I really regreted not having enough time in BKK because the freelancer action such as Nana Disco (Angels Disco) was so much fun. Hope Pattaya is just as much fun.

My dilemma is should I go from the airport 3 PM arrival straight to Pattaya, or should I spend the first couple of nights in BKK and then go to Pattaya.

JuiceSpike
09-10-05, 14:23
Domino,

Thanks for the tips... I have a thing for Thai pussy but you are right, exploring is always a good thing. I will for sure make it to PI someday. I keep hearing good things. How is your shopping going in Manila? ;)

juice

1Ball
09-10-05, 18:21
Juice, go to Africa. You've fucked a ton of Thai pussy, try something different.
same flying time, from LHR, BTW

JuiceSpike
09-10-05, 20:07
1bal,

Africa is not my thing as I prefer Asian girls... Maybe PI... Yep, I have fucked a ton of Thai pussy :D. Maybe I need a new country to discover to fall in love with mongering all over again :p.. But I like the way Thai language sounds even though I don't understand much.

juice

Mimonger
09-10-05, 21:54
Figures they would come up with a better promo then what I got...just paid $840.oo for the damn ticket....and I got over 100K in frequent flyer mile sthat I need no burn....will hope that I can upgrade from cattle wagon to movie star seat....4 wks and counting :)...M&M

Jaimito Cartero
09-10-05, 23:43
Figures they would come up with a better promo then what I got...just paid $840.oo for the damn ticket....and I got over 100K in frequent flyer mile sthat I need no burn....will hope that I can upgrade from cattle wagon to movie star seat....4 wks and counting :)...M&M

In 90% of cases, I will bank miles rather than a cheaper fare that uses miles (and gets no miles). You won't be able to upgrade a cheap NW ticket. You can just hope for an Op-Up (Operational upgrade).

1Ball
09-11-05, 03:32

all will be forgotten once you are sitting in NEP having a cold one.

Lemon Tree
09-11-05, 12:39
Gentlemen,

I booked in month May this year in Germany a domestic flight to Frankfurt with Lufthansa and the connecting flight from Frankfurt to Bangkok with Thai Airways for about 720 € (900$). This prize included the entire fee (except the 500 Baht at Bangkok airport when fly back again).

Tried to do the same just now for my vacation in November/December this year. And I’ve got a shock.

For the same flights I should pay now 998 € (1.250 $) Explanation: The prizes for the avgas are much higher and the fee for security services has climbed up too.

So I checked up other airline offers and finally flight with Emirates from Hamburg to Dubai and from Dubai to Bangkok and back again. Prize for all is 600 € (750 $). But I have to say, that this is a special offer from Emirates, because they established a new flight route from Hamburg to Dubai. Doesn’t matter, for me it means that I saved 400 €. And that is exactly the prize I have to pay for the hotel. Good start for my next vacation and more money for me to do all the stupid little things that are worth to spend a time of vacation in Pattaya and the surrounding.

During these 3 weeks of vacation I will go in the middle week to North Thailand. I managed all this things already via internet from Germany and found a travel agency in Chiang Mai, who offered me a 2 days trip with a float on the river Kok and 2 more days in the surrounding of Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai and the Golden Triangle. Fly to Chiang Mai goes with Thai Airways and the flight back to Bangkok from Chiang Rai with the same airline.

And because I am an attentive reader of this forum, there should be no difficulties to find someone in the northern region of LOS, who will be my pillow at night.

Gentlemen, I like this forum. And I will report about all the serious things that happened during my time in November and December.

Enjoy your life, you have only this one.

Lemon tree

Catmonger
09-11-05, 21:32
Enjoy yourself Lemon Tree and please report back. I am planning on visiting the North too. I hear BKK is the most convenient and has more choice, but I have never been to the North. Even Surin has a convenient place when I stayed at the Ambassador. It had a small fishbowl affair. The rest of the town required more Thai language than I had mastered.

I always get to Khao Sarn Road and book everything cheaply from there. I may book ahead this time due to Christmas season crowds.

Asia Friend
09-12-05, 08:59
I saw your message about the flight prices by Thai Airways and can not agree with you. I have booked a flight for this month two weeks before with Thai Airways from Frankfurt to Bangkok and Have payed 474 €. The address of the travelshop with cheap flights is http://www.skyways.de

Freeler
09-12-05, 17:58
Lemon, Asia,

The high price Lemon mentions is related to high season: November 15th - December 31st. It has little, if anything, to do with high oil prices.
Lemon should count himself lucky to have found the Emirates deal.

Spokane Boy
09-13-05, 04:04
Is it illegal to bring sex toys or condoms into Thailand and Phillipines?

I have been to Phillipines with condoms and no problem but I have heard weird things about Thailand?

1Ball
09-13-05, 05:45
is it illegal to bring sex toys or condoms into thailand and phillipines?

i have been to phillipines with condoms and no problem but i have heard weird things about thailand?

as you go through customs, they have special condom xray machines, and pull aside any piece of luggage which shows condoms inside. the luggage is reunited with the owner, who is taken aside, strip searched, and gang banged by a gaggle of lbs. the condoms are confirep001ed, and sent to a special factory, which transforms them into chewing gum, which is exported to france.

DolphinBKK
09-13-05, 07:12
Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions about going to Cambodia and where to stay. I'm in bangkok right now and am looking around sukhemvit soi 5-9 at those travel agencies with tour prices that vary quite a bit.

Duniawala
09-13-05, 07:14
as you go through customs, they have special condom xray machines, and pull aside any piece of luggage which shows condoms inside. the luggage is reunited with the owner, who is taken aside, strip searched, and gang banged by a gaggle of lbs. the condoms are confirep001ed, and sent to a special factory, which transforms them into chewing gum, which is exported to france.

1ball
you got it slightly wrong. only the used condoms are converted and sent to france. the rest go back to spokane, as the lbs love to go bb.

Coma Boy
09-13-05, 17:43
The owner is taken aside, strip searched, and gang-banged by a gaggle of LBs.So that's why you were sidelined for the first 48 hours.

Woookie
09-14-05, 06:35
Hey skinner2,

Check your PM. I'll be in Thailand mid-October.

Savannah
09-14-05, 19:23
I'll be in LOS on Friday. I'll stay at Queen's Park for two nights and then move to Pattaya. I haven't any reservations for Pattaya. What is the best way to book a hotel in country? Will i have any problems if i just show up? I'd like to look before i buy. Other than the Marriott which hotels in the 2000 baht and above range are GF? I'd like a nice pool and room.

Is the bus from BKK to Pattaya comfortable and under 3 hours? or is it better to take a taxi?

I prefer attractive, more model looking women, can these be found in Pattaya? I like stuck up chicks that are into themselves. They usually unwind around me and work hard. Where can i get a FS soapy from a total babe in Pattaya? i think i'll try an upscale MP in BKK. Which would be best for a white guy?

Sorry for the questions. I have RTTF but i am apprehensive because many of the pictures show unattractive women. I may never make it back to LOS, so i want a special time.

I'm new to the hobby and i have enjoyed your posts. i will contribute my own experiences in the future.

Thank you!

Mimonger
09-14-05, 23:38
I might be fucked!!!!!!!!! Northwaste filed chapter 11, headlines in newspaper says that "they" may CANCEL ALL prepaid flights....might CANCEL other scheduled flights.. might CANCEL all frequent flyer miles.....alot more mights and alot more CANCEL'S listed....

I have my pre-paid flight to LOS and over 100K in frequent flyer miles.... I might be getting SCREWED, but not be a woman. M&M

Run Mann
09-15-05, 00:25
Relax, this is not a surprize these jokers do this all the time. Its just to get them from paying their bills while they make more money. DELTA did the same thing today too, United filed in 2002 and is still operating today.

Here is a statement from NWA about the filings

We will continue to provide safe, reliable air transportation to the more than 55 million passengers carried annually to their destinations around the world," said a statement from Northwest CEO Doug Steenland

Here is the story
http://money.cnn.com/2005/09/14/news/fortune500/passengers_bankruptcies/index.htm

I might be fucked!!!!!!!!! Northwaste filed chapter 11, headlines in newspaper says that "they" may CANCEL ALL prepaid flights....might CANCEL other scheduled flights.. might CANCEL all frequent flyer miles.....alot more mights and alot more CANCEL'S listed....

I have my pre-paid flight to LOS and over 100K in frequent flyer miles.... I might be getting SCREWED, but not be a woman. M&M

JuiceSpike
09-15-05, 00:35
From NWA:

An Important Message to Customers

Northwest has voluntarily filed for bankruptcy protection under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code. The bankruptcy process will enable Northwest to continue its transformation into a new-era carrier in keeping with the permanent changes that have affected the airline industry, such as rising labor costs and a doubling of fuel prices over the past two years.

Customers can continue to book travel on Northwest Airlines with confidence. There will be no difference in your travel experience with Northwest - from ticketing and check-in to boarding, in-flight service and baggage claim. The WorldPerks program also remains unaffected. There will be no change to frequent flyer mileage accrual, redemption, or Elite benefits. Members will continue to earn and redeem miles according to the current WorldPerks program guidelines.

Thank you for your continued support of Northwest Airlines.

Doug Steenland
President and Chief Executive Officer
Northwest Airlines, Inc.

juice

Jaimito Cartero
09-15-05, 01:58
I managed all this things already via internet from Germany and found a travel agency in Chiang Mai, who offered me a 2 days trip with a float on the river Kok.

It´s always good to try an number of different options on airfares. And remember, on your trip, don´t drink the Kok water.

Jaimito Cartero
09-15-05, 02:15
Well, it´s not a happy thing, but it´s not the end of the world either. Make sure you pay for any of your tickets with a credit card, and you should be protected. I have about 6 tickets on them in the next 5 months, plus a RTW award (none on NW though), so I´m not too worried about it.

LittleBigMan
09-15-05, 03:27
Don't Worry!

NWA/Delta

There is absolutely no reason to worry about their filings. As mentioned United and US Airways has done so and from day one of their filing have honor all tickets and bank milies. Both airlines has been planning this for over a year and knew for sometime it was a matter of when? Even if both of these airlines closed there will be other airlines waiting in the wings to honor your tickets and miles just to get your future business.

Both airlines filing on the same day just put more fuel in the fire that these two airlines will merge in the very near future. Rumors Rumors that United soon to be merged with Continental or one even better! US Airways/America West down the road will merge with United!

LBM

JuiceSpike
09-15-05, 12:48
Dear Juicespike,
Your WorldPerks number is 66666.

As you may already have heard in media reports, Northwest
Airlines(R) has voluntarily filed for bankruptcy protection
under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code. The bankruptcy
process will enable Northwest to continue its transformation
into a new-era carrier in keeping with the permanent changes
that have affected the airline industry, such as rising labor
costs and a doubling of fuel prices over the past two years.

Because we value your business and proven loyalty, I am writing
to assure you that there will be no impact on the WorldPerks(R)
program as a result of the filing. Frequent flyer mileage
accrual, redemption, and Elite benefits will remain unchanged.
Members will continue to earn and redeem miles according to the
current WorldPerks program guidelines.

The bankruptcy filing will not impact Northwest’s day-to-day
business operations. We remain committed to serving customers,
honoring tickets, flying a competitive schedule safely and
reliably, maintaining our WorldClubs(R) lounge program, and all
other programs and services.

All bookings will be honored, and ticketing policies remain
unchanged. Our existing marketing relationships with other
airlines remain in place.

The decision to file for bankruptcy protection is not related to
the current strike by members of the Aircraft Mechanics
Fraternal Association (AMFA). Our operation continues to run
well and we have experienced no adverse impact on our
operational performance as a result of the work stoppage.

Customers can continue to book travel on Northwest Airlines with
confidence. Although bankruptcy is never a first choice option,
it does provide the most prudent means for a restructuring that
will ensure the transformation of Northwest into a new-era
carrier that is able to compete in the near term and well into
the future.

Thank you for your continued support of Northwest Airlines. For
more information about Northwest’s transformation, please visit
nwa.com(R).

We look forward to continuing to earn your business by providing
the outstanding service you deserve. :)

Sincerely,

Doug Steenland
President and CEO
Northwest Airlines, Inc.

Hmm, nothing to worry about. Yet.

juice

Phuquer
09-15-05, 16:55
I haven't any reservations for Pattaya. What is the best way to book a hotel in country? Will i have any problems if i just show up?

No problem showing up in Pattaya. There are many hotels in a small amount of space that if there are no rooms to your liking, just a small walk away you will find something better.

Is the bus from BKK to Pattaya comfortable and under 3 hours? or is it better to take a taxi?

I would prefer to take a taxi as it is more comfortable and faster, but the bus is fine, too. If you take the aircon or VIP, you should have a decent ride.

I prefer attractive, more model looking women, can these be found in Pattaya? I like stuck up chicks that are into themselves.

Head to Superbabies Gogo. There you will find all the attractive but stuck up chicks you can handle. Actually, the very best fuck I ever had was from a Superbabies girl. Her name is Maak. Very pretty girl. She is the very best dancer in there (she can really dance, not just the usual Bangkok Shuffle). As good as she grinds on stage, she grinds in bed. Excellent!!!

Where can i get a FS soapy from a total babe in Pattaya? i think i'll try an upscale MP in BKK. Which would be best for a white guy?

For upscale MP in BKK, you might try the MPs on Ratchadapisek Road (Poseidon, etc). You might check out Cupidy (they have some cuties in there). And take a look at Darlings. Once in a while, you find a cutie there, too. As for Pattaya, check out the Sabai group of massage parlors near Big C (Sabai Room, Sabai Dee, Sabai Land).

i am apprehensive because many of the pictures show unattractive women. I may never make it back to LOS, so i want a special time.

Don't worry too much. The girls don't seem to photograph very well, but there are some really nice looking girls available in Thailand. If you don't jump at the first girl that is thrown at you and actually take a few minutes to look around, you will find a stunner. A place I have had good success finding very pretty girls in Bangkok is Rainbow 2 in Nana Plaza 1st Floor.

I'm new to the hobby and i have enjoyed your posts. i will contribute my own experiences in the future.

Thank you!
Looking forward to hearing your adventures. Good luck, and have fun. If you can, print out the bkk 2004, 2005, and Pattaya reports and read them on the flight to LOS. Lots of info available here.

Mimonger
09-16-05, 23:22
Thanks all for your response....but of course if you have flown northwaste you have to wonder if you will get screwed. Every time I fly them I wonder what? when? where? I have been dreaming of this vacation for the past 3 months. The trip is paid for, I just don't want to have to scramble a day or two before and have to make other arrangements or worst yet, get there and have to pay to get back. And I now others have done the chapter 11 bullshit, but lets be realistic.... I remember the names PAN AM, and EASTERN!!!! Where are they. Lets not forget KMART, or WORLDCOM...though they dont fly passengers, they are just like all the other 2 billlion dollar white shirts...looking to make them money and move on.....
I don't need this shit now...I just want my LBFM and beer!!! 24 days and counting...M&M

Twizted
09-17-05, 03:57
I'm trying to figure out where the best action is. I've read reports on Phuket, Bangkok, Pattaya and Ching Mai. So which is the best spot for a newbie? I'm planning a trip in early Aug. of next year, anyone going to be in that area around that timeframe?

Sxer
09-17-05, 11:23
I'm trying to figure out where the best action is. I've read reports on Phuket, Bangkok, Pattaya and Ching Mai. So which is the best spot for a newbie? I'm planning a trip in early Aug. of next year, anyone going to be in that area around that timeframe?

Got to be Bangkok and if time permits Pattaya also. Why not make it a two centre holiday.

Frog Rugger
09-17-05, 13:18
I'm not sure if this is relevant or not, but a colleague of mine just returned from Thailand using a Chester Barry Group tour. I don't know much about them personally. Any other feedback?

Here is the link:

www.chesterbarry.com

LittleBigMan
09-17-05, 17:30
Mimonger,

Although, I have plenty of opinions on what the airlines are doing there is nothing to worry about! This has been in the works for months if not years and Northwest has made plans with other airlines to protect their passengers if that little % of chance they close the door which is near zero but never say never!

Your time would be better spent on the brand of beer and how many LBMF you can snag on your trip!

Don't worry be Happy!
LBM

Twizted
09-17-05, 18:55
Thanks for the info Sxer. I think I'll go to Bangkok and maybe shoot down to Pattaya for a day or two. I've been pricing hotels on Asiarooms.com, anyone have any suggestions? Looked at the Mannhattan, and the Swiss Park has anyone ever been to either one of these hotels, and is the Swiss Park G/F? I would like to stay in a low cost room, but I don't want it to be a dump either. *Question about paying for everything: Do you have to trade your money for Baht or can you pay for things in US currency? (ie. BG, SW, MP, resteraunts, bars, clubs, etc.)

Tazzy Devil
09-18-05, 03:15
Thanks for the info Sxer. I think I'll go to Bangkok and maybe shoot down to Pattaya for a day or two. I've been pricing hotels on Asiarooms.com, anyone have any suggestions? Looked at the Mannhattan, and the Swiss Park has anyone ever been to either one of these hotels, and is the Swiss Park G/F? I would like to stay in a low cost room, but I don't want it to be a dump either. *Question about paying for everything: Do you have to trade your money for Baht or can you pay for things in US currency? (ie. BG, SW, MP, resteraunts, bars, clubs, etc.)I have stayed in Swiss Park Hotel & it was good value for money. Rooms were Ok & walking distance to Nana & Soi Cowboy.

I had no hassle bring back a girl when staying there.

As for currency you will need Thai Baht , Cash some money at the airport for Taxi ect. Hotel will accept US dollars but you will get a very poor rate.

Change money at exchange booths they are located everywhere, If staying at Swiss Park there are currency exchange booths along Sukhumvit Rd.

Coma Boy
09-18-05, 05:21
I would like to stay in a low cost room, but I don't want it to be a dump either.Make your mind up!

*Question about paying for everything: Do you have to trade your money for Baht or can you pay for things in US currency? (ie. BG, SW, MP, resteraunts, bars, clubs, etc.)Yes, you can pay in USD but you may not like the exchange rate.

Why not just stay in US, most folk will happily accept USD there, plus you won't have to apply for a passport or risk one of those "flight" things.

Jimmy Red Cab
09-18-05, 15:12
Thanks for the info Sxer. I think I'll go to Bangkok and maybe shoot down to Pattaya for a day or two. I've been pricing hotels on Asiarooms.com, anyone have any suggestions? Looked at the Mannhattan, and the Swiss Park has anyone ever been to either one of these hotels, and is the Swiss Park G/F? I would like to stay in a low cost room, but I don't want it to be a dump either. *Question about paying for everything: Do you have to trade your money for Baht or can you pay for things in US currency? (ie. BG, SW, MP, resteraunts, bars, clubs, etc.)

I advise you to change your dollars for Thai baht, there are currency exchange booths everywhere, I have never heard of anybody wanting to be paid in dollars or UK pounds.

Sxer
09-18-05, 15:29
*Question about paying for everything: Do you have to trade your money for Baht or can you pay for things in US currency? (ie. BG, SW, MP, resteraunts, bars, clubs, etc.)

Change your money into Thai Baht, you can do this on arrival at Don Muang airport or many exchange booths or banks. Have a good time and don't forget to post your report.

Phuquer
09-18-05, 16:22
I know that in some parts of Mexico, you can pay with US money, but in Thailand it's not the same. If they accept US money, odds are good that you are getting screwed. They won't give you an acceptable exchange rate. Not even close. Change your money to Thai Baht. When you leave, you can change the unused baht back to your home currency at the airport departure hall. Or better still, you can keep some for your next trip. That way you can zip through the arrival hall. I have at least $100 in Thai baht, $200 in Japan Yen, $100 in Hong Kong Dollars, etc. Whenever I travel, I can spend at least one night in the country of my choice without even entering a bank or cash exchange.

Phuquer
09-18-05, 16:31
I'm not sure if this is relevant or not, but a colleague of mine just returned from Thailand using a Chester Barry Group tour. I don't know much about them personally. Any other feedback?

Here is the link:

www.chesterbarry.com
I think it's a waste of money. I think (actually, I know) you can do much better on your own without throwing excessive money away on a tour group/guide/whatever. Trust me, all the info you need is located right on this very website. All you have to do is read and research. Not very difficult at all. Most important, don't be afraid when you get to Thailand. Some people are terrified when they get there. There is no reason to be. It's a safe, visitor friendly country. As an english only speaker/reader, I am able to get around just fine in Bangkok and Pattaya. I can just imagine the difficulty a Thai only speaker/reader would experience trying to get around New York City (The so-called melting pot of the world).

Coma Boy
09-18-05, 16:31
...a colleague of mine just returned from Thailand using a Chester Barry Group tour. I don't know much about them personally. Any other feedback?From the website it looks like total shit, and a waste of money. They couldn't even line up any above-average looking girls for their publicity photos. You'd have more fun travelling independently.

I can't begin to imagine what sort of losers use that service. Your colleague must be a total dick, please tell him so.

That is if he even exists, and you're not just publicising your own business.

Phuquer
09-18-05, 16:36
Got to be Bangkok and if time permits Pattaya also. Why not make it a two centre holiday.
I agree. For a newbie, a two centre holiday is great. To spend 2 weeks you can spend 4 days in Bangkok (gives you enough time to rest from your long flight and then get aquainted with the way things work in Thailand), then 6 days in Pattaya (with a visit to Rayong,including maybe 1 or 2 nights in Ko Samet), then 4 days in Bangkok (shopping and relaxing before heading back home). Lots of easy action in both places.

Phuquer
09-18-05, 16:41
That is if he even exists, and you're not just publicising your own business.
I agree, but I gave him the benefit of doubt. And his friend might not be a total dick. Perhaps just somebody who doesn't have access to the net in general, or this site in particular. I guess if I were totally clueless and afraid, that service might be worthwhile. But I would NEVER, EVER recommend that service to anybody. It's a waste of money. You can probably find a better, cheaper, and prettier alternative dancing in Rainbow 2 in Nana Plaza. She'll show you the same things, take you to the same places, and she probably fucks better. And you will save money.

Seydlitz
09-18-05, 17:59
I had a look at their site, and I agree with everything that was said about them. What losers would want a service like that?

There is one testimonial that I find hilarious:

Dear Chester Barry,
I went into your trip with 4 unfulfilled fantasies … now I have to come up with 4 new ones! When is your next trip? I’m in! As for your service, impeccable, efficient yet always discreet at all times; was treated like a millionaire.
PS: The golf game with topless caddy was my favorite!
Elliot, Huntington Beach, CA.
A topless caddy ? That would be a novelty indeed anywhere in the workd, but in Thailand, it is totally unthinkable.

If that company is not the neat scam it appears to be, then at the very least what they have to offer is totally unnecessary, even to the greenest newbie. But maybe people from Wherethefuck Mountain, Arkansas can use all the help they can get.

Read the testimonials. Their customers need help finding a GoGo in South Pattaya, they lose their passport quite easily, and they want to play golf with topless caddies ... Yes, people like that need help, a lot of help....

Horatio
09-18-05, 18:29
I checked out one of those travel tours before I went to Thailand. I found this site though and got more than enough info so that I felt I didn't need any tour guide. It can be a little intimidating to travel half way around the world without a guide. I am not from Whatthefuck mountain, Arkansas, but from Hickville, Arkansas, so still a hillbilly, maybe that was part of my problem.

For anyone reading this and wanting a guide I can say from personal experience you will not need one in Pattaya at all. It was great fun and not at all intimidating to be a foreigner there. A tour group would be a total waste of money. Your best bet if you have any worries would be to find a buddy to go with you or maybe meet up with someone from this forum there, but even that is not needed.

The best advice to anyone a little bit timid about going to Thailand for the first time is to read the forum. Get the 7 day itinerary posted here and just go.

Horatio

Seydlitz
09-18-05, 18:35
Horatio,

Let it be said that I have nothing in particular against the citizen of the Fine State of Arkansas.

In fact, I am quite fond of the place; it seems to me that Bill Clinton is our sort of guy, at least when it comes to his favorite way of relaxing at work. :)

Dinghy
09-19-05, 05:16
I can imagine that Chester's website caters to a clientele of "absolute idiots" - the website is registered to an address in PENNSYLVANIA (probably very close to W Virginia)

The Traveler
09-19-05, 11:05
I am in BKK right now. If anybody wants to hook up let me know.

Nite_Runner
09-19-05, 16:27
I am going to LOS for Cmas and New years and was wondering if any of you might know a contact there that could hook me up with a chick (friends with benenfits sort of thing).. I had a contact there that would hook me up with a girl for the week (pre-arranged prior to my arrival) however, he is out of business. I have found that it is much easier to sight-see and get around if you have a local with you (trasnportation, resturants, etc, etc). Also, I will be taking a two-day trip to CM and would like to take her with me for local help there as well. I know that I could just walk into a bar and pick one however, I was looking for someone with a few brain cells...

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

n_r

Duniawala
09-19-05, 19:37
I am going to LOS for Cmas and New years and was wondering if any of you might know a contact there that could hook me up with a chick (friends with benenfits sort of thing).. I had a contact there that would hook me up with a girl for the week (pre-arranged prior to my arrival) however, he is out of business. I have found that it is much easier to sight-see and get around if you have a local with you (trasnportation, resturants, etc, etc). Also, I will be taking a two-day trip to CM and would like to take her with me for local help there as well. I know that I could just walk into a bar and pick one however, I was looking for someone with a few brain cells...

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

n_r
Try Chester Barry.

Hamburg Willi
09-20-05, 17:19
Normaly somewhere in Russia on the way I have my yearly taitronic trip this year and will stay again in BKK (yippi)

I would like to meet forum members and learn more about LOS ;-)

See you,

Wolf

PinkPearl
09-22-05, 07:30
I am a dual USA Canadian citizen, born & living in Canada my whole life. My USA passport is valid but my Canadian passport is out of date.

Question #1: May I visit Thailand using my USA passport, or must I renew my Canadian passport for this purpose?

Question #2: For what duration may I visit Thailand? The following link confuses me as to whether it is 15, 30, 60, 90, etc, days maximum.

http: //www. pattaya. com/touristinfo/visas_passport/index. htm

Question #3: Let's say, for example, the answer to question 2 is 15 days. Would someone be allowed to walk across the border into another country and then return two seconds later for another 15 days? Or, say, fly to Saigon for an hour & then fly right back to Bangkok for another 15 days?

Coma Boy
09-22-05, 17:48
Answer #1: Yes

Answer #2: 30 days

Answer #3: Yes

Freeler
09-22-05, 17:56
Pinkpearl,

Question #3: Depends also on your airline. Some airlines check to see if your visa's validity matches your ticket validity ie scheduled date of return.
If they do, not having a proper visa ruins your trip before it starts.
(However, the only reliable source on visa info for Thailand is a Thai embassy or consulate.)
Didn't you know that many Americans travel 'disguised' as Canadians, Maple Leaf and all:D?

Dinghy
09-22-05, 20:26
Passport - just make sure the passport matches the ticket - if you listed Canuck passport on the ticket, then you have to use that one.

No "visa" (as in "formal application" and pay for it in advance) necessary for 30 days

As to leaving and coming back - I can assure you that many make "visa runs" regularly where they fly or drive or bus or whatever to "somewhere" and return "whenever" - Poipet is famous for border "leave and return" as is the Myanmar border as well. In fact, if you are in Pattaya, there is a scheduled "visa run" mini-bus service that goes down and back for about $50US including the visa (don't remember the exact price) same day service. IF you get the Cambo visa in advance (in BKK at the embassy) it costs $20 - (assuming a "do it yourself" visa run) Border opens at 7 and closes at 6pm IIRC - not much to do in Koh Kong except for connections to Pnom Penh or Kampong Som (Snookyville) and afew brothels. The "excess visa charge" is addressed in other locations in the forum - they can and WILL get more money out of you at the Cham Yeah border crossing (pay in baht, 1000 or whatever they can convince you to pay - if you don't pay WHAT THEY DEMAND, they just won't let you in. You get "stamped out of LOS" and then "stamped back in again" and the 30 day clock starts ticked anew

Ljohnson
09-22-05, 21:26
I wanna fly from BKK to Phnom Penh on Nov. 1 and return Nov. 4. Both Thai Air and Bangkok Air want around $330 USD for the round trip. I've gotta be able to get a lower fare.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

MY

JuiceSpike
09-22-05, 22:19
Have you checked the bus fare cost?

juice

Member #2041
09-23-05, 03:29
LJohnson, good luck finding a lower fare - be aware of the fact that Bangkok Air intentionally selects its routes based on whether they have Monopoly control over the route. Chances are, they are the only airline that flies that route. I ran into that when booking flights from Bangkok to Siem Reap. The way I got around it was, Bangkok Air also offers discounted air passes where they ticket you for multiple destinations. As a result, I was able to get round trips for BOTH Bangkok to Siem Reap, AND Bangkok to Kok Samui, with their air-pass, combined for the cost that each ticket would have cost me separately. This was the only way around the Bangkok Air monopoly over both these routes (other than using cheaper and much slower ground or ferry transportation, rather than by air).

Duniawala
09-23-05, 23:57
Here is what I picked up in Frommers:

United Airlines, as of September 22, is having a sneak sale from many US airports to Hong Kong, with fares as low as $467 round-trip compared to next lowest fares on other airlines upwards of $800. Apparently they're in a little spat with Northwest, which has introduced a $518 fare to Hong Kong from Chicago O'Hare, a United stronghold. The fares from Minneapolis and Detroit are especially good. This is not an advertised sale and could change at any moment.

Fare for Bangkok is $530 from LAX (Eva; Dep Sun-Thu thru Oct 31; travel by Nov 31) (airfarewatchdog.com)

PinkPearl
09-24-05, 12:37
Thanks to all for your helpful responses re my passport queries.

Re Bangkok, I am wondering what's the best time to go. Have read somewhat contradictory reports re the seasons at these two sites:

http: //www. thaicongenvancouver. org/Generalinfo. htm#weather

"Dry: March to May, Rainy: June to October, Cool: November to February. "

http: //www. sexwork. com/Thailand/whenvisit. html

"The most crowded times are December through April which is the dry and cool season. "

"October and November is the peak of the rainy season where you may have continuous rains. "

The first site doesn't even include November in the "rainy season" whereas the second says it's the "peak" of it. Not that a Rain City dweller can't handle a bit of the shit, but I hear there can be serious flooding in Bangkok {BKK}. And extensive rainy periods are naturally undesirable unless they can offer something on the plus side, such as cooler temperatures, a higher ratio of ladies, or better deals with dates.

As far as the heat is concerned one can opt for air conditioned {AC} hotels, transportation & entertainment venues. But I like to get some daily exercise & fresh air too. Maybe an AC gym would suffice, if such exists in BKK.

PinkPearl
09-24-05, 12:49
Why book with a travel agent?

If they charge a fee over & above the airlines price to make a profit, then it would be less expensive to go directly to the airlines & remove the middle man.

A travel agent quoted me about 1300 return to Bangkok, plus taxes, for a trip before Nov. 30 or in February. This is through Japan airlines & includes a brief stop in Tokyo.

Alternately, Singapore airlines {rated #1 in the world, more leg space, etc}, costs 1380 with an overnight stop {hotel paid by airline} in Singapore. Good till Nov. 30, $300 more in February.

I also recieved info from a different travel agent as follows:

"For the flight information I got was with Korean Air and the flight went through Korea. The price for this flight is $1139. 20 approx. The dates are November4 – December 4 or Feb 4 – Mar 4.

I hope to have more information for you by Monday. But this gives you an idea of the price I can get for air."

Coma Boy
09-24-05, 16:50
Re Bangkok, I am wondering what's the best time to go. Have read somewhat contradictory reports re the seasons.

Maybe an AC gym would suffice, if such exists in BKK.For mongering it really doesn't matter what time of year you visit. The rainy season also varies depending on where you are in the kingdom.

The season you should be trying to avoid is tourist season- from December to April.

AC gyms- of course, millions- IMO the best is California Wow: http://www.californiawowx.com

Five branches- Sukhumvit, Silom, Pink Lao, Siam Paragon (coming soon), and another one, can't remember where.

The best is the Silom branch, although Pink Lao has a pool.

1Ball
09-24-05, 17:00
Why book with a travel agent?

If they charge a fee over & above the airlines price to make a profit, then it would be less expensive to go directly to the airlines & remove the middle man.

A travel agent quoted me about 1300 return to Bangkok, plus taxes, for a trip before Nov. 30 or in February. This is through Japan airlines & includes a brief stop in Tokyo.

Alternately, Singapore airlines {rated #1 in the world, more leg space, etc}, costs 1380 with an overnight stop {hotel paid by airline} in Singapore. Good till Nov. 30, $300 more in February.

I also recieved info from a different travel agent as follows:

"For the flight information I got was with Korean Air and the flight went through Korea. The price for this flight is $1139. 20 approx. The dates are November4 – December 4 or Feb 4 – Mar 4.

I hope to have more information for you by Monday. But this gives you an idea of the price I can get for air."

Pink Pearl, I just did a quick search, and came up with 1129.
try www.mobissimo.com

Sean_Double
09-24-05, 17:36
Pink Pearl,
There are actually a lot of reasons to book through a good travel agent. One of the best is that they have access to consolidators that sometimes have fares much lower than the airlines themselves will sell or are available online.
Here's something that maybe didn't occur to you; fares to BKK are much lower from Seattle than Vancouver and its really pretty easy to fly out of one or the other if you live in either city.
This is an example of an itinerary using dates similar to yours from Seattle available from through a travel agent:
1 UA 875W 04NOV SEANRT SS1 1220P 400PŠ* FR/SA E 1
2 UA 881W 05NOV NRTBKK SS1 630P 1130P * SA E 1
3 UA 882W 30NOV BKKNRT SS1 640A 215P * WE E 2
4 UA 876W 30NOV NRTSEA SS1 530P 900A * WE E 2

LAST DATE TO PURCHASE TICKET: 27SEP05
$BB-1 C24SEP05
SEA UA X/TYO UA BKK Q55.00 300.00WWPRO6C UA X/TYO UA SEA
Q55.00 280.00WXPRO6C NUC690.00END ROE1.0
FARE USD 690.00 TAX 2.50AY TAX 28.20US TAX 4.95XA TAX 4.50XF
TAX 7.00XY TAX 5.00YC TOT USD 742.15
Its $742.15 including all the taxes.
Just a thought, you might want to fly out of Seattle rather than Vancouver.
Cheers,
Sean

1Ball
09-25-05, 14:27
To those of you who are planning a trip on NW, this is taken from an Airliner's forum. seems this incident happened a day or two ago.

QUOTE:
For two days in a row, mechanical problems and lack of crew have delayed a Northwest Airlines flight scheduled to leave Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport for Tokyo.
Northwest Airlines spokesman Kurt Ebenhoch said Friday night that 365 passengers were kept on the plane for a total of nine hours over a 24-hour period. They were prohibited from returning to the terminal because of U.S. Customs regulations but were allowed to move around the plane and loading bridge, he said.
He declined to specify the nature of the mechanical problems and said "crew availability issues" also contributed to the delay.
"It's certainly an unfortunate delay," Ebenhoch said. "We regret the inconvenience; we apologize. We work hard to avoid this. It happens to other airlines as well."
Ebenhoch said the only other plane for such a trip was in Tokyo.
The 747-400 was scheduled to leave at 3 p.m. Thursday, but the flight was canceled at 7 p.m. and rescheduled for 10:30 a.m. Friday. It was canceled again about 3:30 p.m. The plane was scheduled to try to take off today at 8 a.m.
Passengers were given vouchers for food and lodging for the second night in a row Friday and will receive $700 in travel certificates, Ebenhoch said.
Passengers and flight attendants' union members were not available for comment.

UNQUOTE

White Monkey
09-26-05, 04:03
I disagee with CB on two thangs.

First, the tourist season (NOV to FEB) is the best tiem of year to visit if you can't handle the humidity. The country from the Cetnral to Northern region all cool off considerable. The can be downright cold.

Second, California Wow (know as chock wow - or wank off amongst Thais) is pretty good is is being ostacised all over Thai websties for the fact that it seems to have become a bad experiment in capitalism. The staff are all on bonuses and the only goal is to sign up more members. As a result is is packed liked sardines with people having no idea on how to train. There are queues for the machine and there is no assistance from any of the staff.

Other things, they play crap music (geared towards the gay clientele) and they play it loud.

Best work out place. Pratumawan Princess Hotel in MBK, on the side of Chulalongkorn U.

Working out in Thailand is mostly at 5 star hotels but they do have the best gyms in Southeast Asia here in Siam.

For mongering it really doesn't matter what time of year you visit. The rainy season also varies depending on where you are in the kingdom.

The season you should be trying to avoid is tourist season- from December to April.

AC gyms- of course, millions- IMO the best is California Wow: http://www.californiawowx.com

Five branches- Sukhumvit, Silom, Pink Lao, Siam Paragon (coming soon), and another one, can't remember where.

The best is the Silom branch, although Pink Lao has a pool.

Coma Boy
09-26-05, 08:04

First, the tourist season (NOV to FEB) is the best time of year to visit if you can't handle the humidity.

Second, California Wow is being ostacised for the fact that it seems to have become a bad experiment in capitalism. The staff are all on bonuses and the only goal is to sign up more members. As a result it is packed liked sardines with people having no idea how to train. There are queues for the machines and there is no assistance from any of the staff.

Other things, they play crap music (geared towards the gay clientele) and they play it loud.Hmm, I agree with your disagreements WM.

Never thought of it before, but my gym is kinda gay, and apparently gets busy in the evenings, but it's quiet in the daytimes when I visit. And, like you say, they are also very pushy at selling memberships, but I walked in demanding one so they must've loved me.

And yes, the music is very gay too. The tune they play the most is some dance remix of "It's Raining Men". Shit! I've joined a gay gym! I never use the sauna or steam-room, for fear of being fingered. Luckily my apartment building has sauna and steam-rooms.

But Cal-Wow does also has some of the hottest girls I've ever seen in LOS, ever.

And yes, tourist season has much nicer weather, at other times iof year it can be unbearable.

Yi Ren
09-26-05, 11:01
While I agree the 5-star hotels in BKK have very good facilities (before I moved here, I stayed primarily at Shangri-La and Conrad), I would be hard-pressed to say they're the best.

KL Sentral Hilton, Makati Shangri-La, even Novatel in HCM all have excellent facilities.

Just my $.02 :)

Working out in Thailand is mostly at 5 star hotels but they do have the best gyms in Southeast Asia here in Siam.

White Monkey
09-26-05, 11:35
CB,

Don't take it too hard (no pun intended).

I fell for the same damn thing, I am member of California Wank too. The gays are unavoidable at any major workout facility in BKK unfortunately. I guess the only consolidation for me is that any staring can be transformed into a form of flattery. Oh no I have been here too long.

As for the tunes: IPods and hot chicks are nice aversions from the overtly homo flavour to the DJ - BJ's choice of tunes.

Happy lifting

Hmm, I agree with your disagreements WM.

Never thought of it before, but my gym is kinda gay, and apparently gets busy in the evenings, but it's quiet in the daytimes when I visit. And, like you say, they are also very pushy at selling memberships, but I walked in demanding one so they must've loved me.

And yes, the music is very gay too. The tune they play the most is some dance remix of "It's Raining Men". Shit! I've joined a gay gym! I never use the sauna or steam-room, for fear of being fingered. Luckily my apartment building has sauna and steam-rooms.

But Cal-Wow does also has some of the hottest girls I've ever seen in LOS, ever.

And yes, tourist season has much nicer weather, at other times iof year it can be unbearable.

Coma Boy
09-26-05, 16:35
The gay Thai guys just seem to stare and smile, it is the gay Farang that freak me out. They start a seemingly innocent conversation that soon gets suggestive.

At least with Thai dudes it is obvious who is gay, the gay Farang seem to be undercover.

Mimonger
09-28-05, 00:39
Thanks for the heads up on Northwaste, I leave in 2 weeks, I just hop ethey get their shit together, I dont want a voucher...I want LBFM's!!!!! M&M

Whiskey Dick
09-30-05, 01:03
I'm headed to BKK on Sunday.

Has anyone heard anything about a typhoon?

travelin_trent
09-30-05, 08:19
Hey all! I will be in BKK and surrounds from Sat 15th Oct. If anyone is going to be there and wants to hook up for some mongering let me know. [Email Address deleted by Admin]

I can't wait, this has been a long time coming.

EDITOR's NOTE: Posting of this report was delayed pending removal of email addresses in the text. To avoid delays in future reports, please do not post email addresses in the Forum. Instead, please invite other Forum Members to contact you directly via the Forum's Private Messaging system to exchange this information. Thanks!

Coma Boy
09-30-05, 09:34
The Thai solution to Suvarnabhumi having been built on a cobra swamp.

(From today's BKK-Post).

NY Spike
09-30-05, 16:53
Hello,

I'm new to this forum. Coming to BKK in November. I hope to hook up with some guys from USA or Europe to get away from Thai girlfriend.

If you can help a fella out, let me know.

Thanks,

Brian