PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Travel Plans

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Sajer Guy
10-11-05, 12:52
Will be in Phuket and staying at a hotel in Laguna Phuket from Oct 15-19th. There for a conference by myself and interesting in going out for some action. If anyone is interested send me a PM.

Sajer

Ganoosh
10-12-05, 13:36
1: CISSP/SSCP/CAP exams will be held in Bangkok on Dec 10th. See ISC2 website for details and registration.

2: A training vendor in BKK is offering a CISSP prep course conducted in English. Courses tentatively scheduled weeks of Oct 31st and Nov 28th. I'm trying to get in to either of these classes, but the vendor is not willing to confirm the class if minimum student enrollment is not met. And since they won't confirm the class, I can't confirm my travel plans to LoS..... @#$%^&*! PM me if you're interested in possibly taking the class. They're charging $850 for 5 day class. Thx.

//Ganoosh

Duniawala
10-12-05, 17:08
1: CISSP/SSCP/CAP exams will be held in Bangkok on Dec 10th. See ISC2 website for details and registration.

2: A training vendor in BKK is offering a CISSP prep course conducted in English. Courses tentatively scheduled weeks of Oct 31st and Nov 28th. I'm trying to get in to either of these classes, but the vendor is not willing to confirm the class if minimum student enrollment is not met. And since they won't confirm the class, I can't confirm my travel plans to LoS..... @#$%^&*! PM me if you're interested in possibly taking the class. They're charging $850 for 5 day class. Thx.

//Ganoosh

What are these classes anyway. Any of them teaches how to get better babes for less? Just curious.

Djts
10-12-05, 17:33
Guys,

I need some advice. Planning to visit Thailand in Dec, my first visit. Want to spend a few days in Bankok before moving on to Pattaya or Phuket.Can you recommend Hotels, (middleing budget ) and good nite life venues, areas were to go.

Also Pattaya or Phuket whats the best resort to visit.

Cheers,

DJT

Seeko
10-12-05, 18:08
Inbound by midnight on 14 October, Friday.

I will be staying at Manhattan on Soi 15.

Intend to check out Soi Cowboy, Soi 33, BKKTeen, Angels, Barons/Lotus, Ratchada MP's, RCA, CM2, Spasso, Soi 7 BG.

PM me if anyone wants a drink on me and swap stories.

Outbound by 22 October, Saturday.

Seeko

Coma Boy
10-13-05, 03:57
Intend to check out Lotus...You realise that Lotus is a grocery store right?

You're never gonna manage all those places in eight nights, but good luck to you, that's an ambitious itinerary.

Ganoosh
10-13-05, 10:03

//Ganoosh
What are these classes anyway. Any of them teaches how to get better babes for less? Just curious.
Pre-exam prep course for the CISSP certification ---
http://www.training-partners.com/pages/course.asp?CourseId=124

Catmonger
10-16-05, 10:22
Hello,

I'm new to this forum. Coming to BKK in November. I hope to hook up with some guys from USA or Europe to get away from Thai girlfriend.

If you can help a fella out, let me know.

Thanks,

BrianNY Spike,
This should dispell any fantasies about the docile, submissive Thai ladies.

Can you rent some golf clubs and head out in a taxi?

CocoLove
10-17-05, 16:36
Hi,

I will be heading to Bangkok around March, staying Soi22.

Any good bars to go for GFE?

A week maybe in Bangkok, then who knows.

Seeko
10-18-05, 14:55
You realise that Lotus is a grocery store right?

You're never gonna manage all those places in eight nights, but good luck to you, that's an ambitious itinerary.

Hey, I heard that some guys with decent looks can score in supermarkets, so why not... ;-)

As for managing my times, yeah, it might be a bit much, but it is the 4th night, and we're heading out for Happy Hours at Soi 33. I've already done BKKTeen (thumbs up, or rather, balls up), Angels on Soi 24 (recommend asking for a lineup), Nataree (many Chinese/Japanese-looking slideliners), and Poseidon (bought a 30K card and used a VIP room).

We've avoided Nana Plaza, but I've hunted successfully at Thermae and Siam Hotel. And, the crowd and girls at Soi Cowboy is manageable. Suzie Wong has a dance show similar to Long Gun.

Next places are normal discos: CM2, QBar, Glow, Glaciers, Narcissus, Riva, Spasso... Unless, we hook up with out-going TGs, then, Dance Fever, Hollywood, Bally's, or RCA.

Oh, yeah, we've also managed to squeeze in shopping at Emporium, Siam Square, and MBK. Whew...

Well, hard drinks and pretty ladies await, so...
Seeko

People Power
10-18-05, 16:02
Hi,

I would be in Bkk in Nov staying in Grand Hyatt. Any place nearby to explore with some safe fun. I am looking for ST namely, and if there are freelancers contacts, that would be better.

Player2
10-18-05, 17:12
Hi Guys :

My flight will be arriving in BKK at 11.p.m. After immigration, customs,taxi ride and hotel check in , it will be around 1.30 a.m.( I guess)
What are my options that late for action besides Grace and Siam hotel and Nana parking lot??????
Thanks guys for your help.

Tony.

Dinghy
10-18-05, 17:59
just walk down the street - "bai nai?" will be what you hear a bit - but watch out for lbs sukumwit is still lively that time of night - besides, the noodles are good if you want something to eat... unless you want to make a quick stop at [CodeWord901] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord901)'s on soi 8 if they haven't closed yet

actually, you can make it to suk pretty fast with an 11pm arrival - you could even take the airport bus to suk and be there before midnite (assuming you get out of the baggage check and thru customs quickly enough) last time i went that route, it took 45 mins from touchdown to the bus and another maybe 20 min's to the hotel drop point on suk. thai immigration is fast - baggage is s l o w - fill out the form on the plane and don't stand on ceremony - find a short line and get thru - the bigger issue is dealing with the taxi drivers at the "exit"

Player2
10-18-05, 18:05
what do you mean by bai nai and lbs??????????
just walk down the street - "bai nai?" will be what you hear a bit - but watch out for lbs sukumwit is still lively that time of night - besides, the noodles are good if you want something to eat... unless you want to make a quick stop at [CodeWord901] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord901)'s on soi 8 if they haven't closed yet

Dinghy
10-18-05, 18:40
"bai nai" is a standard thai greeting - it literally means "go where?" - "where are you going" (sort of like French "ca va" - how goes it?") - it is primarily used in place of "sawatdee" which is the more formal "hello"

LB means "ladyboy" - either with or without the "add-a-crack-to-me" <insert smiley face here>

Player2
10-18-05, 19:08
"bai nai" is a standard thai greeting - it literally means "go where?" - "where are you going" (sort of like French "ca va" - how goes it?") - it is primarily used in place of "sawatdee" which is the more formal "hello"

LB means "ladyboy" - either with or without the "add-a-crack-to-me" <insert smiley face here>

Thanks Dinghy for LB clarification. Man, they look good and some times very hard to tell.

White Monkey
10-19-05, 11:47
GO Where sounds more like:

pbai nai?

The initial consonant is hard for many non-Thais but is sounds more like a double consonant of a p + b

nai should be a rising tone, or one that dips and then rises, similar to a tilda in Spanish.

Add krup to the end to make it sound nicer, i.e.

pbai nai krup?

Just trying to help, do your best

Thanks Dinghy for LB clarification. Man, they look good and some times very hard to tell.

Dinghy
10-19-05, 18:53
WM - sort of hard to do tones on a computer without typing in Thai (which this computer would do - but for most readers it would be a waste of time)

Passing on the street, you probably don't hear "ka" or "krup" too much with the greeting - it isn't too formal. In the case of the girls making the comment, it's an opening line.

Traveler1234
10-19-05, 19:33
Hi,

I would be in Bkk in Nov staying in Grand Hyatt. Any place nearby to explore with some safe fun. I am looking for ST namely, and if there are freelancers contacts, that would be better.ST - Nana plaza soi 4

Anal: Edens Club, Soi 7 but check other threads (including my comments)

And of course the 20++ MP www.bangkokbob.net has good review of all most of more famous ones.

Phuquer
10-20-05, 05:32
Passing on the street, you probably don't hear "ka" or "krup" too much with the greeting - it isn't too formal. In the case of the girls making the comment, it's an opening line.
One place you can hear "ka" or "krup" with a greeting every single time (although not with bpai nai, unless the cashier is a "working girl") is in any 7-11. Actually, I love walking into the 7-11. The attendants are so polite. I tell everyone, Thailand is a million times more civilized than NYC.

Phuquer
10-20-05, 05:46
Hi Guys :

My flight will be arriving in BKK at 11.p.m. After immigration, customs,taxi ride and hotel check in , it will be around 1.30 a.m.( I guess)
What are my options that late for action besides Grace and Siam hotel and Nana parking lot??????

Tony.
Tony, if your flight arrives at 11PM and you don't have any delays getting your baggage or getting through customs, you should be able to check into your hotel and hit Sukhumvit Road before 12:30AM. Make sure you read my Itinerary, at least the section about the airport(do a search for bangkok itinerary and you should be able to find it. The links on the board have been jumping around a lot lately). This way, you will know what to expect when you arrive at the airport. It might save you a couple of minutes trying to get your bearings when you are waiting in the arrival hall. If you fly through Japan and you have at least a 2 hour layover, you can shower and change in the transit hall. They have showers for rent at reasonable rates. This way you can arrive in Bangkok nice and refreshed after the trans-pacific flight. It'll save you at least 1/2 hour when you arrive in your hotel to shower and dress up. It seems like you want to "hit the floor rolling" when you arrive in BKK, and these are my tips for wasting as little time as possible.

Coma Boy
10-20-05, 05:51
Be sure to use stealth, violence and aggression to be first off the plane and reach immigration ahead of all the other passengers.

If there is a long line for taxis, run upstairs to departures and jump in a taxi dropping someone off.

Punch the driver in his fucking face when he refuses to turn on the meter.

Player2
10-20-05, 13:49
If you fly through Japan and you have at least a 2 hour layover, you can shower and change in the transit hall. They have showers for rent at reasonable rates. This way you can arrive in Bangkok nice and refreshed after the trans-pacific flight.

Yes I have lay over in Kansai. Good to know they have showers there.
I have printed out your itinerary a month ago. BTW it is going to be my 3rd time in BKK.
First 2 times , I was not aware of a lot of things especially this web site.
Thanks for all your help.

Player2
10-20-05, 13:51
Be sure to use stealth, violence and aggression to be first off the plane and reach immigration ahead of all the other passengers.

If there is a long line for taxis, run upstairs to departures and jump in a taxi dropping someone off.

Punch the driver in his fucking face when he refuses to turn on the meter.

Thanks for the great suggestion. This is what I do any way when I am getting off the plane in BKK. I think every horny male does it. Dont you think so hansum.

JP2U
10-21-05, 16:32
Hi Guys :

Tony.
Actually, you'll find a lot of street action on the Suk. Up to the wee hours of the morning (I've found freelancers at 4am). check the odd number Sois (3, 5, 7 upwards). I think even the other side has plenty.

Player2
10-24-05, 11:24
Hi Guys :

My feet get swollen after a long flight. Have any of you guys have this problem??? Any medication for this problem???

Thanks for all your help.

Tony.

Buko Max
10-24-05, 11:42
Hey Tony,

Yes this happens to me once in a while both with a long flight or a long drive. One time I kicked my shoes off and later had a hard time getting them back on! I think the only remedy is to get up every now and again and walk around, maybe do some stretching. As we get older, the circulation in your extremities is not what it used to be. But maybe there is something you can take to improve circulation, I don't know.

Mattrick

Dinghy
10-24-05, 12:19
Tony - depending on your situation - I travel in sandals. The "open" nature of the shoe allows the feet swell (as they inevitably do) but then after resting with the feet up for a night, they return to "normal". Also. sandals are most welcome for dealing with the heat and are generally adjustable to fit those "swollen feet" - the "walk comment" made previously is valid (not as much swelling) - just that there is precious little space to walk. The biggest thing is that you can't get your feet UP.

LittleBigMan
10-24-05, 17:38
As noted by Dinghy and Mattrick the swollen feet thing can be relieved by getting up and walking, stretching more often. When in your seat if possible extend your legs out and flex your feet forward and back. Go to the back of the airplane near the exit and galley to do some stretching. One of my buddies once told me about this problem but I did not pay much attention until he called me and told me he had to cut his trip short because he had a blot clog that the doctor told him that it most likely started in his leg and ended up at his lung.

I will be doing some stretching in a few days on my flight to LOS!

Player2
10-24-05, 19:15
Thanks guys for your responce on swollen feet.
So it means it is very dangerous.

1Ball
10-24-05, 19:52
it is called deep vein thrombosis, or "economy class syndrome". it has happened that people have spent 12 or more hours sitting in an airplane seat, and died right in the immigration line. you can buy special socks, which are used for surgery patients if they are going to spend a fair amount of time in bed. they are expensive though, about 25-30$. walking around helps, also stretching in the staircase of the aircraft if you are on a 747.

read this
http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_report.cfm?Thread_ID=264&topcategory=Knee

you can also google deep vein thrombosis to find out more.
or you can fly in the front of the aircraft, in the sleeper seats :D

Player2
10-24-05, 20:00
it is called deep vein thrombosis, or "economy class syndrome". it has happened that people have spent 12 or more hours sitting in an airplane seat, and died right in the immigration line. you can buy special socks, which are used for surgery patients if they are going to spend a fair amount of time in bed. they are expensive though, about 25-30$. walking around helps, also stretching in the staircase of the aircraft if you are on a 747.

read this
http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_report.cfm?Thread_ID=264&topcategory=Knee

you can also google deep vein thrombosis to find out more.
or you can fly in the front of the aircraft, in the sleeper seats :D

Hi 1 Ball :

I travel in business class and still my feet get swollen. Your info is pretty useful though.

Tony.

Player2
10-25-05, 05:52
Hi Guys :

Kings birthday is on Dec 5 ?????? Any action any where on Dec 5????

Thanks guys for all the answers to my questions.

Tony.

Freeler
10-25-05, 17:45
Tony,

Expect bars etc to be closed by police from Dec 4th until the morning of Dec 6th.
Sometimes barowners get the notice very late, so you can't be sure if they say on Dec 4th, 5pm: "No, they don't close us this year."

Player2
10-25-05, 17:54
Tony,

Expect bars etc to be closed by police from Dec 4th until the morning of Dec 6th.
Sometimes barowners get the notice very late, so you can't be sure if they say on Dec 4th, 5pm: "No, they don't close us this year."

How about free lancer and MP activities?????

Member #4364
10-25-05, 18:14
I travel since 89 to Thailand; I have never seen that the bars are closed at King`s birthday. Normal action in Pattaya. But offices and banks are closed.

Greets

Coma Boy
10-25-05, 19:22
Tony, just collect phone numbers and hoard alcohol a couple of days before.

Freeler
10-25-05, 20:54
Tony,

Some BGs turn SW, some Thai tourist girls turn FL...
Plenty sources available:).

The Traveler
10-25-05, 20:59
Hi 1 Ball :

I travel in business class and still my feet get swollen. Your info is pretty useful though.

Tony.
Tony,

to avoid a deep vein thrombosis you should

- drink a lot, water is best, no alcohol or coffee because it "dehydrates" your body
- take an aspirin, it makes your blood more "liquid"
- exercise your calf muscles by standing on your toes, this muscle is virtually the "pump" of your leg

1Ball
10-25-05, 21:38
Tony,

to avoid a deep vein thrombosis you should

- drink a lot, water is best, no alcohol or coffee because it "dehydrates" your body
- take an aspirin, it makes your blood more "liquid"
- exercise your calf muscles by standing on your toes, this muscle is virtually the "pump" of your leg

yup, 1 liter of water for every hour of flight

Nauskas
10-25-05, 21:58
I just may be there to do some diving.
Anyone else, let me know. Planning to stay at the Novatel

Phuquer
10-26-05, 03:16
Tony, I was there last year on December 5th. Sukhumvit Rd. looked like a ghost town. Everything was closed. Nana Plaza was closed. Cowboy was closed. Even the lounge in the JW Marriott was closed. I walked over to the Grace Hotel Coffee Shop and it was business as usual. Hooked up with a Brit. compadre and we both got stone cold drunk. Picked up a freelancer and had a great time with her. There are very few options available that day.

Ljohnson
10-26-05, 06:19
A buddy and I will arrive in BKK on the night of Oct. 29 and will take a cab to Pattaya upon arrival. We will be at the Dynasty Inn (Pattaya) Oct. 29, 30 and 31. On Nov. 1 we will travel to BKK and spend the night at Dynasty Inn near Nana Plaza. Next morning we are off to Phnom Penh for 3 days and then I'll spend almost 2 weeks in Bangladesh.

Acerboy
10-28-05, 08:53
Guys,

have a chick from hometown coming to bangkok next week while I'm there. Need some club recommendation. Need to get her high on wine and then go for the lay.he he. Have been to Riva's couple of weeks ago, was good. There was an African American band there but charged me cover chargecos Sat night.Have heard of the bar at Hyatt and also the bed club or whatever it is called. Classy lady and would like to bring her somewhere nice. Any recommendations? Sukhimvit or Silom area is good. Sorry if this is the wrong thread.Thanks in advance for the help.

Coma Boy
10-28-05, 09:16
Have a chick from hometown coming to Bangkok next week while I'm there. Need some club recommendation. Need to get her high on wine and then go for the lay.Here's some of many:

Syn- Nai Lert Park Hotel, Wireless Road

Tapas - Silom Soi 4 (the gay soi, but Tapas isn't too gay)

87 Plus - Conrad Hotel, Wireless Road

Brown Sugar - Soi Sarasin, Langsuan

Hu'u - Ascott Hotel, South Sathorn Road

Route 66 - RCA

Slim - RCA

Escudo - Suk 55

Glow - Suk 23 (where Faith used to be)

Song Saleung - Suk 55

494 - Grand Hyatt Erawan Hotel

And of course Bed is always a great place to take a date. Forget about Q-Bar- it sucks, and Mystique has at last closed. Can't think of any more right now, but those should be more than enough.

There are also loads of fucking cool restaurants, but you should PM for if you want info on those. I'd love to only talk about pot, TV and food- anyone know suitable forums?

Duniawala
10-28-05, 15:52
Finally, Thai is starting the non-stop LAX to BKK from Dec 1. 17.5 hrs going and 14.5 return. It will be on the new Airbus, similar to the one from NY. Has anyone travelled on that n-s and can tell me about the flight. Comfort, service etc. I might try it if it is a lot better, otherwise will stick to one stopover flights.
Thanks

Duni

Toton
10-28-05, 18:26
First of all, please excuse my bad english. I came by this forum by accident and am very happy now cause am planning my first visit to thailand soon.

Planning to visit Bangkok and Pataya and also have heard so much about LOS that I have decided to go there too.

Trouble is, my travel agency don't know where LOS is in Thailand.

Can somebody tell me where LOS is in Thailand.

Thanks guys for all the info.

BKK Dreaming
10-28-05, 20:21
But is it worth $300-$400 more for a non-stop?

And thats for a coach class seat :(

I think I will still take the one stop.

Phuquer
10-29-05, 04:32
LOS is not a place in Thailand. LOS is an acronym for "Land Of Smiles", a common nickname for Thailand. Thai people are famous for their warm smiles and gracious hospitality. When you book your flight, just book it to Bangkok, Thailand. The airport is called Don Muang, but you don't have to worry about that. Just book Bangkok.

Traveler1234
10-29-05, 04:58
Finally, Thai is starting the non-stop LAX to BKK from Dec 1. 17.5 hrs going and 14.5 return. It will be on the new Airbus, similar to the one from NY. Has anyone travelled on that n-s and can tell me about the flight. Comfort, service etc. I might try it if it is a lot better, otherwise will stick to one stopover flights.
Thanks

Duni

I've done the SQ non-stop (at least 10 times), EWR/Sing, CX and Continental EWR/HK and Air China JFK/Beijing (once). First three were great, last...well, it's Air China, right? I fly business class so have the new space beds, first class is obviously the flat bed configuration. I know economy on SQ is fine.

I would think Thai would be comparable to SQ,CX and Continental -- depends if they use the newer equipment. And nothing beats non-stop....which adds anywhere from 4-6 more hours, depending on lay-overs.

Freeler
10-29-05, 06:39
FYI,

Email just received from China Airlines:

"Starting from October, China Airlines began offering onboard broadband
wireless Internet access on the Taipei-San Francisco route. Using this groundbreaking new service, passengers carrying personal computers with wireless network cards can now enjoy the convenience of Internet while flying. There are only 9 airlines in the world currently providing this cutting-edge service, and China Airlines is the first airline to offer wireless broadband Internet service from Asia to the U.S. West Coast.

China Airlines has installed Internet access equipment on 4 boeing 747-400s, all of which can provide this new service. To promote the service, China Airlines is providing 500 one-way free fly cards (on a first come, first serve basis) to passengers who purchase Taipei-San Francisco tickets using the China Airlines Web site www.china-airlines.com. For those who make ticket purchase outside the China Airlines' Web site, China Airlines is offering free one-hour in-flight wireless broadband access voucher (Limited offer while supplies last).

China Airlines and Connexion by Boeing suggest you to go to Connexion by
Boeing's Web site, www.connexionbyboeing.com before taking your flight to check out more system specification details."

Phuquer
10-29-05, 15:22
freeler, now if only we could park one of these 747s smack dab in the middle of beach road, we would have wireless highspeed internet in all the pattaya area hotels. :)

Traveler1234
10-29-05, 17:42
FYI,

Email just received from China Airlines:

"Starting from October, China Airlines began offering onboard broadband
wireless Internet access on the Taipei-San Francisco route. Using this groundbreaking new service, passengers carrying personal computers with wireless network cards can now enjoy the convenience of Internet while flying. There are only 9 airlines in the world currently providing this cutting-edge service, and China Airlines is the first airline to offer wireless broadband Internet service from Asia to the U.S. West Coast.

China Airlines has installed Internet access equipment on 4 boeing 747-400s, all of which can provide this new service. To promote the service, China Airlines is providing 500 one-way free fly cards (on a first come, first serve basis) to passengers who purchase Taipei-San Francisco tickets using the China Airlines Web site www.china-airlines.com. For those who make ticket purchase outside the China Airlines' Web site, China Airlines is offering free one-hour in-flight wireless broadband access voucher (Limited offer while supplies last).

China Airlines and Connexion by Boeing suggest you to go to Connexion by
Boeing's Web site, www.connexionbyboeing.com before taking your flight to check out more system specification details."

Hmmmmm...one of a few airlines I've tried to avoid past years due to safety record - China Airlines is on top of that list. Stick with SQ, CX and Eva, and for PRC, Air China (although service not the greatest).... IMHO

Freeler
10-29-05, 19:02
Traveler1234,

"China Airlines is on top of that list."
Please PRODUCE that UP TO DATE list, thanks!

1Ball
10-30-05, 00:46
regarding internet access on China airlines, just got off their SFO TPE flight 1 hour ago, and sitting in the lounge, waiting for my connection.
opened my laptop during the flight, and my linksys showed me a connection was available. For 10$, had 30 minutes of internet service available, was able to browse the web, send / receive emails.
It is 30$ for the entire duration of the flight, but wanted to sleep, so I could be in shape for the afternoon and evening I have planned.

and the plane didn't even crash ! Insofar as safety is concerned, anyone remember the SQ flight TPE LAX, which crashed on take off, as the captain went barreling down a CLOSED RUNWAY ?
Other than QF, which Rainman correctly identified as the only airline to never crash, they are all pretty much the same, at least airliners which are allowed into the USA. If your time is up, your time is up. Better for it to happen on your way home from LOS, as you sit in your seat with a stupid grin on your face, reliving the wonderful moments.

Now you want to talk about bad airlines, pick any in African, or short haul south American carriers, and of course, an honorable mention must go to Phuket air, and Lion air

Fast Eddie 48
10-30-05, 02:56
Traveler1234,

to freeler

sound like china airline improve their service , i fly with them 10 yr ago
service is very bad , but my last few trip with cathay pacific to hong
kong and bkk have alot of problem with service issue they have been
going down hill , so i might try china or thai airway next time , any one
know the fare for lax to bkk direct flight yet i think service start next
month .

fast eddie 48

Terry Terrier
10-30-05, 03:37
Is my memory playing tricks on me or, when China Airlines upgraded most of their fleet (and consequently their safety record) with new stock, did they flog most of their old 737s to Thai Airways for use on TG's domestic shuttle flights?

Terry Terrier
10-30-05, 03:39
Fast Eddie 48

ALL the airlines are going downhill. It's about the economics of flying, unfortunately.

Member #2041
10-30-05, 03:40
Rainman is out of date. Nowadays, Rainman could have flown Southwest or Jet Blue, which have also never crashed. Although Jet Blue came close last month, but their pilot did a heck of a job landing a plane with it's nosegear torqued 90 degrees.

Of course, neither of those airlines flies across the Pacific Ocean.

Traveler1234
10-30-05, 05:19
Traveler1234,

Let me preface my response by saying this is my personal opinion and everyone should take it for simply that. I am NOT trying to start a war on this :-)

Safety in my mind is based not only on the age of equipment but also pilots, management attitude toward safety/maintenance, etc. I've been flying to Asia for close to 30+ years, primarily on business (and usually in business class - those who fly economy might have different perspective).

Now for my 'personal list' and they are not necessarily in order of which is the least safe...merely the airlines I try to avoid unless absolutely necessary (if I can delay 24 hours to catch another airlines, I do):

China Airlines, Taiwan based
Philippine Airlines
Malaysian Airlines
Korean Airlines

Now for my favorites and this is based on most recent 3-5 years:

Singapore and Cathay - toss up. They have latest equipment, better pilots, better maintenance, etc.
Thai Air - although on shorter regional routes, equipment is getting old
Eva Airlines - Taiwan based, when they first started, the first with female pilots.
Dragon Air - primarily from HK to China
Asiana - but equipment is old

Again, this is merely my personal opinion and in response to Freeler. If you have your list, share it with us.

Taz Marine
10-30-05, 05:58
Korean Airlines

Again, this is merely my personal opinion and in response to Freeler. If you have your list, share it with us.Can you tell us why Korean Airline made your list of airlines you try and aviod?

Sean_Double
10-30-05, 07:54
Now for my favorites and this is based on most recent 3-5 years:

Singapore and Cathay - toss up. They have latest equipment, better pilots, better maintenance, etc.
Thai Air - although on shorter regional routes, equipment is getting old
Eva Airlines - Taiwan based, when they first started, the first with female pilots.. sometimes it's
Dragon Air - primarily from HK to China
Asiana - but equipment is old

Traveler1234,

I agree. Your list is good.
One note though; If you live in the U.S sometimes it saves a lot of time and money to take Northwest or United in order to use frequent flier miles or to accumulate them.

The service sucks compared to most asian airlines, the safety records are better given how many more flights they have, but it can be much cheaper. I agree, asian airlines are a better experience.

Today you can buy a round trip ticket from Portland to Tokyo for $199.00, with taxes and everything it comes out to about $380.00; add 20,000 UA or NW miles for an "award" from Tokyo to BKK and that's you're cost. It looks like the PDX-TYO fare is good as long as you come back before Dec. 14.
I booked one of these today using the dates: Nov 15 PDX-TYO-BKK, Dec. 6 BKK-TYO-PDX for $386.49 and 20,000 UA miles.

Seems like a pretty good deal. The flights will suck compared to SQ, but what the hell and the chances are that I'll survive.

Cheers,
Sean

Yi Ren
10-30-05, 08:03
I fly ~250K miles a year, among 12 Asian and SE Asian countries, with trips to SFO every 2-3 months. My list is below - take it with a grain of salt, as I know a pilot that flies for China Airlines (CI), and my company doesn't allow business class travel.

Prefer:
United (w/1K status, have too many miles w/them to ignore, decent lounges)
China Airlines (cheap, connections to most places I travel, except China PRC)
Singapore Airlines (best overall, and Star Alliance, but must we go all the frickin' way to Singpore before we can go anywhere else?)
Cathay Pacific (close 2nd, but OneWorld)
EVA (quite good, but flights fill quickly, esp. SFO-TPE)
Thai (good, and Star Alliance, but can't get online booking system to work; have my BKK travel agent book)

Avoid if possible:
Philippine Airlines
China Eastern, Southern
JAL (why do they think all folks are 4'11" and weigh 40kg?)
Malaysian Air

FWIW, my buddy at CI feels the problems of the past have been dealt with. And I do like the Internet access on that SFO-TPE leg.

Freeler
10-30-05, 10:47
Traveler1234,

I assumed that you used some IATA list or something. But now it's clear that it's more of a personal thing.
CA are clearly top of my list, leaving the likes of BA(service - flying through fukken Heathrow), Air France(assholes), KLM(non existant service-cramped seats), SAS(drunks), Finnair(drunks) and Pilipinas far behind. Blue One was as lousy as the rest, but waaay cheaper - so I like' em after all.
Last time I flew Thai, domestic, they were great. A full breakfast, extra drinks on an hour's flight from BKK to Phuket. Try getting a single cup of anything crossing over from Amsterdam to Heathrow...:(
But all that has NOTHING to do with airline safety!
Korean still have a bad record from the shooting down 'in' Soviet airspace and a bomb. Pilipinas have parked a few planes a bit to far from the runway and some four years ago CA had a major mishap during a short hop in Asia.
I remember Thai crashing over Central-Asia - the pilot had a celebration of some sort just before the flight.

Skyway
10-30-05, 13:31
hey all, am now in BKK anyone wanna meet up PM me. Thanks

Catmonger
11-04-05, 03:00
My 'search' didn't turn up much for the Chinatown area. Does anyone know of a fun 'haircut' joint, soapy, or brothel in Chinatown?

Coma Boy
11-04-05, 07:13
Catmonger.

Thais have often pointed out brothels to me, set on the first (or second if you're a Yank) floor of buildings in the allies that you pass when walking from Yaowarat to Sampang.

Brothels are also often found in the back of some of the tea-shops. You'd probably be better off asking down there, or drink tea at every tea-shop until you see old horny Chinese dudes slipping into the back.

Sorry, can't provide a better description, but that area is such a maze and I still get lost even after all these years.

Traveler1234
11-04-05, 13:43
First, I did not use an IATA list. The list I compiled is from personal experience as I travel from USA to Asia somewhere between 3-4 times a year and during each trip hit at least 5-6 Asian countries. In the course of one year will normally visit each Asian county as least once, sometimes 2-3 times.

Second, everyone has their own personal list. I frankly know very little re European airlines and it's possible Air France, BA, Lufthansa is better or worse. I did fly Air Austria for the first time from New Dehli to Vienna in Sept - great flight, cute (even the older ones) attendants -- but again remember I fly business class.

Third, I personally stopped flying airlines to accumulate miles. Because of my travel schedule, fly whatever airlines provides best connection, etc. Having said that, anyone having flown US carries (whether AA, NW, UA) and the top Asian airlines (SQ and CX) will all agree hands down the winner.

Let me stop here as I am moving off track....remember, my original post was re airlines that I personally felt had a poor safety record and ones that I would personally avoid whenever possible. Some of you have pm me re the list - I can be more explicit in those pm. For purposes of this forum or any public forum, I'll won't go further into why I rank them as I do.

By the way, there is an excellent forum that talks nothing but about traveling. Excellent site for questions re airlines, food, hotels, frequent flier points, etc. No monger discussions there please....pm for site as jackson's rules prohibit posting forum sites.

Duniawala
11-04-05, 14:39
Traveler1234

Jackson never said not to post site addresses with the exception of competing sites or to bring business to yourself. Sites such as frequentflyer.com and other are not competing sites but informative to us punters to make us more knowledgable (in this case) which airlines to use to go to LOS.

P.S. I hope my grammar was correct, using two negatives. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Freeler
11-04-05, 15:19
Duniawala,

The way I read Jackson's rule about competing sites is that they cannot be a forum. Anything else goes. In that sense 1234 is right not to post the link. I wouldn't mind finding the url in my pm-box tho...

Duniawala
11-04-05, 17:18
Duniawala,

The way I read Jackson's rule about competing sites is that they cannot be a forum. Anything else goes. In that sense 1234 is right not to post the link. I wouldn't mind finding the url in my pm-box tho...
Freeler
I read the rules also, (click on the Rules tab above) and could not find any thing except the following

No Self-Promotion:

Please do not post any messages anywhere on this site that are primarily for the promotion or advertising of any website, forums, email address, business, multi-level marketing activity, or other entities that you have an affiliation with EXCEPT in the classified advertising section.

Links to Competing Forums

I think this may come as a surprise to some members, but you cannot use my forum to promote competing forums. This inlcudes Delphi, Google, or Yahoo groups.

Did I miss something?

Freeler
11-04-05, 17:51
Duniawala,

Yes, you missed something: 'Forums'.

1234 said: 'By the way, there is an excellent forum...'
The rules say, as you copied and pasted: 'Please do not post ... forums... etc.'
Ok, it's not 'self promoting', or perhaps it is... We don't know that

C'est tout!

Traveler1234
11-04-05, 18:15
Traveler1234

Jackson never said not to post site addresses with the exception of competing sites or to bring business to yourself. Sites such as frequentflyer.com and other are not competing sites but informative to us punters to make us more knowledgable (in this case) which airlines to use to go to LOS.

P.S. I hope my grammar was correct, using two negatives. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

To be on the conservative side...anyone that wants to site, PM

Bifster
11-04-05, 20:32
i will be heading out to bkk on tuesday. i can't wait. meeting my filipina gf there but last time she ended up getting talked into stripping by some dancers in some patpong club. i know i have something to look forward to. yipppeeeeeeeeee i am ready.

NY Spike
11-04-05, 22:06
I will be in BKK for first time Nov 14 to 24.

I'm looking for members show a guy around.

Thanks,

Happy hunting

Duniawala
11-05-05, 01:01
Ok. Better to be on the side of caution. No problem. You all have a great weekend.

Catmonger
11-05-05, 06:40
Thais have often pointed out brothels to me, set on the first (or second if you're a Yank) floor of buildings in the allies that you pass when walking from Yaowarat to Sampang.

Brothels are also often found in the back of some of the tea-shops. You'd probably be better off asking down there, or drink tea at every tea-shop until you see old horny Chinese dudes slipping into the back.

Sorry, can't provide a better description, but that area is such a maze and I still get lost even after all these years.A friend once took me to a noodle shop in Isaan that definitely had that feel. I will give it a try and see what brings!

Thank you

Rolodido
11-09-05, 14:33
For the first time (and looking forward to it) I'll be in BKK.

From Nov 26 till Dec 1st. If someone could show me around on Sunday, I would be more than pleased.

Help this poor newcomer. Thanks

Lovely 69
11-10-05, 06:47
I Will be in the LOS Nov21 - 29 Suk area. Any Recomendations for Barber Shop with extras? Something like a Nana Beauty Salon. Lovely

Traveler1234
11-10-05, 17:45
I Will be in the LOS Nov21 - 29 Suk area. Any Recomendations for Barber Shop with extras? Something like a Nana Beauty Salon. Lovely

I like the cuties you posted, any reason for barber shop rather than go old MP? If you're looking for FL, if the MP experience is good, most times she'll give you her mobile for private sessions.

Taz Marine
11-11-05, 03:33
Hello All,

I have to say the Thailand board is the absolute best forum in the world. I’m so addicted to reading the posts everyday after work because they are so awesome. I find the readings to be very entertaining with all the different characters participating. Even the weird people that come out of nowhere with off the wall questions or contributions make this board fun.

When I first found this site I used it mainly to check out the pics and search for specific information. I never read it post by post like I do now. Man, was I missing out. It wasn’t until I finally made plans to travel to Thailand that I realized how truly awesome this board is. I had maybe 2 posts at the time and The Traveler had offered to meet up with anyone who would be in Thailand. I took him up on his offer and he pointed me in the right direction to really enjoying LOS and my vacation. I also met Firedick (nice guy) and Posterlion (unfortunately I was too excited to go back to my room with my ST girl and didn’t really get to know him).

Before, I always thought the members of this forum where probably old ugly extremely obese rude guys (no offense to anyone who fits this profile). If you ever seen the cover to the book “Money Number One,” that’s the guy I’m talking about. I was shocked when I meet some of the members to find out that they were interesting people that I would never have suspected to be a monger. I’m proud to be a monger (of course I don’t brag about it at work) and am looking forward to many, many trips to LOS.

I plan on returning to Thailand March 22 to April 7 and if anyone is there during that time I would like meet up for a drink or to go hunting. My goal is twice a year and I’m hoping for another trip in Sept/Oct.

Thanks,

Taz

Lovely 69
11-11-05, 04:32
I have been so busy the last few months, no time for a hair cut. I've heard that some Hair Salons offer extras from time to time. Do you know any MP's that do good hair cuts? Here is another Hottie. lm

Angel Eyes
11-11-05, 06:32
My 'search' didn't turn up much for the Chinatown area. Does anyone know of a fun 'haircut' joint, soapy, or brothel in Chinatown?

Here's my chance to help a guy.

I've been to a place called "Harlem", although it doesn't say the name in English anywhere. The price was 900 or 1300 for the better looking girls. No soapy, but it had the bath+TV+bed in the room. I went for a 1300 baht girl, experience was nice, she even spoke some English, but not much. She didn't speak Chinese, if that's what you're looking for.

I took a pic of the Chinese temple across the road,
then I crossed the road and took a picture of the place itself, as a special service to my ISG bros.

The place is realy close to Hualongpong railway station.

I got there by following direction from another site. I don't think the prices are updated, though (the following is from the site, I just googled for it):

**** CHINATOWN ****

Texas CafÈ and Massage is located across the road from the Chinatown Hotel, in lane (Trok Srai) next to
McDonalds on Yarowrat Road.
Phone #: 223-3521
Comments: Smallish place. Cost is 1,000 and 1,200 baht for girls in fishbowl. Or 1,700 baht for younger sideline
girls in the CafÈ.

Harlem is located on Maichai Trit Road, next to the Sri Kung Hotel and across the road from a Chinese Temple. It
is in between Hualongpong railway station and the Wongwien 22 Karakada (22nd July) but closer to the station.

Phone #: ?
Comments: Does not have a sign in English, but there is a welcome sign in English on the door. Smallish place
with about 20 girls. Cost 800 baht.

Member #3401
11-11-05, 08:02
There is a place called Texas. I have been there about a year ago. Great service worthwhile a visit although the girl did not speak a word of english.

Catmonger
11-12-05, 10:44
Angel Eyes, thanks for the reply. I hope to be of as much assistance here as I've already received.

If it's anything like Surin, then bring your own towel if it's near the train station! :p

Good times!

Zladdi
11-17-05, 22:45
I'll be in Pattaya from dec 10 to 24. (4. time this year)

Somebody else there to have beer?

Zladdi

Dinghy
11-18-05, 18:58
Sorry about the layout - it doesn't copy/paste that well

Flat Seats(1) New Pod-Style Seats (2) Massage Function (3) AVOD (4) Laptop Power (5) On-Demand Dining (6) Duvets & Soft Pillows (7) Noise Reduction Headset (8)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 (columns don't line up well)
Air China Yes No No No No No Poor No
Air France Yes Yes No No Yes No Fair Yes
Air India Yes No No No No No Poor No
Air Jamaica Yes No No No No No Poor No
Air Mauritius Yes No No No No No Poor No
Air Tahiti Nui Yes No No No No No Fair No
All Nippon Airways Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Fair Yes
American Airlines Yes No No No Yes No Fair Yes
Asiana Airlines Yes No No No No No Excellent No
British Airways Yes Yes No No Yes No Fair Yes
Cathay Pacific Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Excellent Yes
China Airlines Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Excellent Yes
El Al Yes No No No Yes No Fair No
Emirates Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Excellent Yes
Eva Air No No No No No No Poor No
Gulf Air Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Excellent Yes
Japan Airlines Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes No Fair Yes
Korean Air Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes No Fair Yes
Kuwait Airways No No No No No No Poor No
Lufhansa Yes No No No Yes No Excellent Yes
Malaysia Airlines Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Excellent Yes
Philippines Airlines No No No No No No Poor No
Qantas Yes Yes No Yes Yes No Excellent Yes
Qatar Airways Yes Yes No Yes Yes Yes Excellent No
Saudi Arabian Air No No No No No No Poor No
Singapore Airlines Yes Yes No Yes Yes Yes Excellent Yes
South African Air Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes No Excellent Yes
Swiss Yes Yes No Yes Yes No Excellent Yes
Thai Airways Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Fair Yes
United Airlines Yes No Yes No Yes No Fair Yes
Varig No No No No No No Poor No

Freeler
11-18-05, 21:02
Dinghy,

Nice list, I like this one:
Varig No No No No No No Poor No

Do they even have cabin crew:(?

The Traveler
11-18-05, 21:07
Dinghy,

yep, vbulletin deletes multiple "spaces". Use "-" or any other placeholder next time if you want it lined up.

Dinghy
11-19-05, 00:56
Sorry about the layout - it doesn't copy/paste that well (damn thing - the font isn't "courier" like I wrote it in and I am getting tired of putting in dashes)

Flat Seats(1) New Pod-Style Seats (2) Massage Function (3) AVOD (4) Laptop Power (5) On-Demand Dining (6) Duvets & Soft Pillows (7) Noise Reduction Headset (8)

-------------------------------1----------2-------3------4-------5-------6--------7---------8

Air China---------------------Yes----No----No----No----No----No----Poor------No
Air France--------------------Yes----Yes---No--Yes-----No----No----Fair------Yes
Air India---------------------Yes-----No----No---No-----No-----No--Poor------No
Air Jamaica-------------------Yes---No----No----No----No------No--Poor------No
Air Mauritius-----------------Yes--No----No----No------No----No--Poor------No
Air Tahiti Nui----------------Yes---No----No---No-----No------No--Fair------No
All Nippon Airways--------Yes--Yes---Yes---Yes---Yes-----Yes--Fair------Yes
American Airlines-----------Yes--No----No----No----Yes-----No--Fair------Yes
Asiana Airlines --------------Yes--No----No----No----No------No--Excellent-No
British Airways --------------Yes--Yes---No----No--Yes-------No--Fair------Yes
Cathay Pacific ---------------Yes---Yes---Yes---Yes---Yes-----Yes-Excellent-Yes
China Airlines----------------Yes----Yes---Yes---Yes---Yes----Yes-Excellent-Yes
El Al Yes ----------------------No----No-----No----Yes---No-----No--Fair------No
Emirates -----------------------Yes---Yes---Yes----Yes----Yes----Yes-Excellent-Yes
Eva Air--------------------------No---No----No-----No-----No-----No--Poor------No
Gulf Air-------------------------Yes----Yes-Yes----Yes----Yes-----Yes-Excellent-Yes
Japan Airlines----------------Yes----Yes---Yes---Yes----Yes-----No--Fair------Yes
Korean Air--------------------Yes-----Yes---Yes---Yes----Yes-----No--Fair------Yes
Kuwait Airways----------------No---No-----No----No----No------No--Poor------No
Lufhansa----------------------Yes----No-----No-----No----Yes-----No--Excellent-Yes
Malaysia Airlines-------------Yes--Yes----Yes---Yes----Yes-----Yes-Excellent Yes
Philippines Airlines----------No---No-----No-----No------No------No--Poor------No
Qantas--------------------------Yes---Yes----No----Yes-----Yes------No--Excellent-Yes
Qatar Airways-----------------Yes--Yes-----No----Yes----Yes-------Yes-Excellent-No
Saudi Arabian Air-------------No----No-----No----No-----No-------No--Poor------No
Singapore Airlines-------------Yes--Yes----No------Yes----Yes-----Yes-Excellent-Yes
South African Air-------------Yes----Yes---Yes----Yes----Yes------No--Excellent-Yes
Swiss------------------------------Yes---Yes---No-----Yes---Yes-------No--Excellent-Yes
Thai Airways------------------Yes----Yes-----Yes----Yes---Yes------Yes--Fair------Yes
United Airlines---------------Yes-----No-----Yes----No-----Yes-----No----Fair------Yes
Varig-------------------------------No---No-----No-----No-----No-------No--Poor------No

It doesn't line up LIVE WITH IT!!

Bill Lee
11-19-05, 06:19
Hi you all.

I'm coming into BKK on Saturday, Nov. 26 and leaving on Thursday, Dec. 1, 2005.

I have been told by my travel agent that the two hotels, Royal Benja and Grand Business Inn are booked.

I want to be near Bumrungrad Hospital and JW Marriot.

Can anyone here direct me to a clean decent hotel about 2,000 Baht or less a night?

Bill

Deal Seeker
11-19-05, 07:35
I'll be in BKK from Dec 26 to Jan 10. Anyone want to meet for an evening drink?

Duniawala
11-19-05, 09:38
Sorry about the layout - it doesn't copy/paste that well (damn thing - the font isn't "courier" like I wrote it in and I am getting tired of putting in dashes)
Why don't you just make a pdf file and upload it. Right now I am not sure what you are trying to say. What is AVOD?

Ljohnson
11-19-05, 11:12
Bill Lee,

The Dynasty Inn near Nana Plaza is easy walking distance from Bumrangrad Hopital (I was there a few days ago) and will cost you only about 1,000 to 1,200 bt per night. I like the place and the price is right.

LJ

Phuquer
11-19-05, 14:18
Why don't you just make a pdf file and upload it. Right now I am not sure what you are trying to say. What is AVOD?
I believe AVOD is Audio/Video On Demand.

Coma Boy
11-19-05, 14:29
What then is DVDA?

The Traveler
11-19-05, 14:44
LJohnson,

the Dynasty Inn can't be compared to the Royal Benja or the Grad Business Inn. The rooms at the Dynasty are worn down, acceptable at best but only in an emergency. Of course, that depends on your expectations/needs.

Dinghy
11-19-05, 19:14
so i should have made a bitmap out of it and then uploaded that. I suppose but it was enough trouble to just put in the dashes. If the vbulletin software weren't so ppppPICKY, it would have been a LOT faster (kvetch, kvetch kvetch)

evidently, the font I made it in (courier monospace) was "translated" into another font when I posted it (which was NOT monospace)

Bill Lee
11-20-05, 03:52
Thanks everybody but I wind up booking at the Zenith for their Hemingway room. About 2300 Baht.

Hope to run into some of you senior members. PM if you want to hook up for the evenings of Nov 27, 28, 29, or 30. I'm coming with another senior member.

Bill

Ljohnson
11-20-05, 14:37
Traveler,

I agree completely re the Dynasty. Bill Lee listed his requirements as "clean decent" and the Dynasty qualifies. Not first class by any means but it seemed he was also price sensitive. I have always found the Dynasty clean and decent and it is close to the subject hospital.

LJ

Yi Ren
11-20-05, 16:21
What then is DVDA?

I believe it's DVD-Audio.

Bill Lee
11-20-05, 17:56
Ljohnson and The Traveler. Thanks.

Can't say enough about the help one gets on this board.

Bill

Duniawala
11-21-05, 18:57
so i should have made a bitmap out of it and then uploaded that. I suppose but it was enough trouble to just put in the dashes. If the vbulletin software weren't so ppppPICKY, it would have been a LOT faster (kvetch, kvetch kvetch)

evidently, the font I made it in (courier monospace) was "translated" into another font when I posted it (which was NOT monospace)
Here you go Dinghy. Had some spare time and your table is now a pdf file. Now could you make one up one for us poor folks who have to travel in the cattle class.

Note: You need Acrobat Reader to view this docoument. You can download the free reader from www.adobe.com

Freeler
11-21-05, 19:36
November 21 - 18:56 Heavy rain, waves strand thousands of tourists on Koh Tao Island

Heavy rain, waves strand thousands of tourists on Koh Tao Island

SURAT THANI, Nov 21 (TNA) - Heavy rains and strong waves have stranded hundreds of tourists on Koh Tao Island in the Southern province of Surat Thani, while the famed signature treeline of 9km-long Samila beach in Songkhla was devastated by gale-force winds which flattened the scenic Gulf of Thailand landmark.

Three consecutive days of heavy rains and 3-5 metre waves in Surat Thani forced the small pleasure craft and fishing boats which normally serve Koh Tao Island to stay ashore. Provincial authorities and other
agencies are evacuating thousands of tourists by boat to ferry thousands of tourists back from the island.

However, Surat Thani provincial governor Vijit Vichaisarn said that ferries and cruise ships between Koh Samui and the Koh Phangan Islands are still providing service as usual.

Further south in Songkhla municipality, strong winds with wave heights of 2-3 metres, moved inland from the Gulf of Thailand and struck down trees along the scenic 9km Samila beach. Municipal authorities are
assessing the damage.

The Meteorological Department office in Songkhla province said that due to continuing storms, strong winds and waves in Gulf of Thailand, heavy rains will continue in some locations of Pattalung, Songkhla, Pattani, Yala, and Narathiwat.

However, in Prachuap Khiri Khan, Chumporn, Surat Thani, and Nakhon Si Thammarat, the rain will begin to stop. The authoriities still urge local residents to be on alert for possible flash floods.

Dinghy
11-21-05, 21:17
Duni - gee that's pretty - now IF I had some info for the "grunts among us" who only "on occassion" get to fly out of the "cheap seats" I would try do a similar layout

Odin Man
11-21-05, 22:52
Hi,

I'm planning a trip on 6th - 13th December, (my very own xmas gift!) and just checked the calendar for public holidays.

The 10th is Thai's Constitution day, and I would like to avoid closed bars etc.

So, are the places still open this day?

Would also be happy to get company with other fellow mongers, pls. PM me.

PS. This will be my 1st trip.

Coma Boy
11-22-05, 06:21
Now could you make one up one for us poor folks who have to travel in the cattle class.Does anyone really still fly cattle class?

Capt JB
11-22-05, 06:36
Anyone know of any good deals from JFK to BKK in Feb or March?

Duniawala
11-22-05, 08:37
Does anyone really still fly cattle class?
Yes. Us poor folks. We can't afford the first class or even the biz class.

Ok, ok, I give up. I flew biz class a couple of times by upgrading with miles. :D

PosterLion
11-22-05, 09:38
Does anyone really still fly cattle class?

I do every single time unless I get a free upgrade, which is about one trip out of ten. I'm KEE-NEE-O (cheap charlie), because I ain't got 50,000 Yen in cash to take photos of.

I grin and bear it. :)

poster...

Piper1
11-22-05, 11:47
I have the misfortune of having one free night in a hotel in Bangkok in a few weeks (provided by Thai Airways, as there is no direct connecting flight on my way to Australia). In this situation, will I be kept in the airport hotel, or can I go out and play?

cheers

Piper

Dinghy
11-22-05, 14:04
The report was that they put you up in the airport hotel and because you are on a delayed thru flight, you avoid paying the 500B airport tax. Go out, have fun (airport bus to Suk is 100B or so - taxi back)

Piper1
11-22-05, 14:57
Thanks Dinghy - now it's time to do some research. ;)

Cheers

Piper

Duniawala
11-22-05, 15:58
I have the misfortune of having one free night in a hotel in Bangkok in a few weeks (provided by Thai Airways, as there is no direct connecting flight on my way to Australia). In this situation, will I be kept in the airport hotel, or can I go out and play?

cheers

Piper
If you are in first class, you will be in the Airport hotel. If in biz you get a hotel like Emrald. In economy, you will be in a hotel like Asia Hotel. But not in Suk area.

Coma Boy
11-22-05, 16:13
The 10th is Thai's Constitution day, and I would like to avoid closed bars etc.Actually, it is on the 12th this year as the 10th is a weekend.

Don't worry though, it is not a religious or royal holiday so the merriment and gaiety continues as usual.

Banks and some other public offices will be closed though.

Seeko
11-23-05, 11:27
Rather than stuff myself with turkey this Thanksgiving Day, I am going to stuff some TG with my... ;-)

Anyway, I'm inbound 23 Nov (late flight) and outbound on 27 Nov (day).

Have a flexible schedule this time around, so I am open to suggestion.

Seeko

Johnson45
11-29-05, 18:48
What are the options for getting from BKK airport to Pattaya? I've been to Pattaya several time and always take a taxi. Since the prices of the taxi trip went up and I live here now, I need to learn more about the cheaper ways to get around.

I arrive from a domestic flieght at about 11 AM. Is there a bus service at the airport or a train or a van thats cheaper then the 12-1400 B taxi. I use to be able to get a taxi 1000 B. I have all the time in the world so I don't mind a local bus.

I don't have or want to get a hotel just for there pick up service.

Dinghy
11-29-05, 20:20
go outside to the kerb and look for the "airport bus" (they have a desk outside at term2 - no idea if they have a desk at domestic) - it runs to Ekkamai or Kaho San road - take the one to Ekkamai (100B) from there take the 110B bus to Pattaya. The alternative is to take a cab to Morchit and the bus from there (about 150B more or so for the cab but the bus is faster because of not needing to go down Suk to the expressway entrance) most of this is out there in the forum

Evil Penivel
12-01-05, 06:25
Anyone know of any good deals from JFK to BKK in Feb or March?I got a flight on NWA for EWR-BKK-EWR for $759, all fees and taxes included, depart mid-January, back in Feb. A search of the NWA site shows that rate can be booked through March. In October, I got the same flight for $620, but it's unlikely (although not impossible) rates will dip that low with fuel prices as high as they are. I use NWA cause I have Elite FF status with them, which often gets me an upgrade and I can at least use the lounges, special check-in privileges, etc.

If you have ice in your stomach, you could wait for a special deal from Thai on the direct JFK-BKK flight, might be able to get it for between $800-$900. EVA and Malaysia Air also have specials to BKK, but not sure if they last until Feb.March.

Daring Mood
12-01-05, 08:57
Recently in my haste to catch the Ekkamei bus to Pattaya I ended up on a bus that took 4.5 hours instaed of 2 hours, the bus stopping anywhere and everywhere to onload and offload passengers, eventually dumping me on the outskirts of Pattaya, which on a Friday night when accommodation still needs to be found is not fun.

Here's what I did and you shouldn't do:
Skytrain to Ekkamei (no problem), the station almost overlooking the bus station. As soon as I rounded the corner entering the bus station the driver of a bus was bundling me on a bus which he said was leaving for Pattaya in 3 minutes (60 Baht). I thought nothing of it.

What I should have done...
Ignore all touts and walk to the bus station terminal and buy a ticket for the Pattaya express bus (120 baht).

And by the way if you see the local police bundling a crazed Yaba addict on to the bus you are taking... Take the next bus...but that's another story

Daring Mood

Dinghy
12-01-05, 15:38
AND - It's been said before - DON'T TAKE THE BUS WITH THE ORANGE STRIPE or you will be S..L..O..W getting there. Go INSIDE AND GET THE TICKET (and the bus leaves from the FIRST on the right parking spot in the lot) BLUE/WHITE bus is the right one. IF IT LEAVES FROM ANOTHER SPOT, IT IS NOT THE CORRECT BUS!!! Last bus leaves at 2300 and you can get a songtaew from the bus station in Pattaya (they will, of course, try to screw you on the price - it SHOULD be no m0re than 50B) or you can go out to North road (cross the road) and catch the next songtaew heading that way for 10/20B depending on how far you go or how generous you happen to be

Freeler
12-01-05, 16:39
Well,

I for one, don't understand the Ekamai route at all!
A bus or taxi to Morchit2 (SaiNua) is FASTER than a bus or taxi to Ekamai.
And cheaper too.
But more amazing:
The bus from M2 to Pattaya is FASTER than the Ekamai bus! The M2 bus arrives at the elevated freeway after just 3 minutes and from then on there is no holding back!
Extra advantages:
- There is NO slow bus from M2 to Pattaya - so you can't go wrong!
- Amazing views of BKK deep down below - if you're in the right seat.

1Ball
12-01-05, 18:48
how much is the flight from USA? 1,000S in coach?
How much is the flight from Europe? 700$ in coach

how much is a taxi? 30$ ?

i'm sorry, what is this all about?

Freeler
12-01-05, 19:42
1Ball,

RTFF!:)

Someone asked: "Since the prices of the taxi trip went up and I live here now, I need to learn more about the cheaper ways to get around."

Some other people provided some insight.

That's what it's all about.

1Ball
12-01-05, 20:24
Sorry Freeler, sometime, just can't be bothered you know. I figured it was another one of those groundhog days.

never been told to RTFF before, i feel like I just popped my cherry :D

Dinghy
12-01-05, 22:05
hey - it happens to the best (worst) of us 8-)

Free - I said that before as well - the only advantage is that the airport bus STOPS outbound at Ekkamai (the final stop) and it costs 100B (or it DID cost 100, anyway - who knows about now). Morchit-Pattaya IS faster but the last bus goes at 2000 I think, whereas the last rot mai from Ekkamai leaves at 2300. So to save 150B (kee nieow) I usually go to Ekkamai (IF I get there early enough)

Capt JB
12-02-05, 05:49
[QUOTE=Evil Penivel]I got a flight on NWA for EWR-BKK-EWR for $759, all fees and taxes included, depart mid-January, back in Feb. A search of the NWA site shows that rate can be booked through March. In October, I got the same flight for $620, but it's unlikely (although not impossible) rates will dip that low with fuel prices as high as they are. I use NWA cause I have Elite FF status with them, which often gets me an upgrade and I can at least use the lounges, special check-in privileges, etc.

If you have ice in your stomach, you could wait for a special deal from Thai on the direct JFK-BKK flight, might be able to get it for between $800-$900. EVA and Malaysia Air also have specials to BKK, but not sure if they last until Feb.March.[/QUOT

Many thanks

I have been checking the Thai Airways non-stop flights from JFK to BKK. Over Christmas they are around 2K. Drop to arounf $1,500 in mid January and in Feb down to around $1,000. It is a long ride on the same bird, just over 17 hrs but saves several hours over the other carriers.

Capt JB
12-07-05, 05:50
Cathy Pacific's Deal of the Month is round trip from JFK to BKK for $835 which includes all fees & taxes. Same flight from LA or San Fran to BKK is $781 all inclusive.

Ticket must be purchased in Dec and travel takes place in Feb or March of 2006. Not a bad price and service on Cathy Pacific is second to none. I still think I will take the Thai Airways direct flight from JFK to BKK as it saves several hours and there is more room between the seats. Am looking at heading to BKK around Feb 2 which would arrive there Feb 3 and return home on Feb 20th. Thai Airways direct flight is just over $1,000 then unless they come up with a special soon.

Capt JB
12-07-05, 05:56
Just for laughs take a look at this airline web site.

www.skyhighairlines.com

Johnson45
12-07-05, 19:27
go outside to the kerb and look for the "airport bus" (they have a desk outside at term2 - no idea if they have a desk at domestic) - it runs to Ekkamai or Kaho San road - take the one to Ekkamai (100B) from there take the 110B bus to Pattaya. The alternative is to take a cab to Morchit and the bus from there (about 150B more or so for the cab but the bus is faster because of not needing to go down Suk to the expressway entrance) most of this is out there in the forum

I took this advise and it was satisfied. Flew in to the domestic terminal, walked outside there was a bus waiting there to Ekkamai for 100 baht. I took about an hour then transfer in about 5 minutes to the next bus to pattaya for 110 baht and it took 3 hours. There were plenty of songthaews waiting at the pattaya station. I'm free all day, all week, and all year so I have time and enjoyed the ride.

I did a little bit of searching before my post but nothing came up. I guess I was using the wrong words.

ValeVincent
12-07-05, 20:37
Thanks Capt JB,

The skyhigh is fantastic. I laughed all the way from my chair to the floor with stomach cramps. I often use the "regular" airline sites and this is spot on.

Globotto
12-11-05, 08:24
If anyone is looking for a short term rental of a remodeled
32sm condo with balcony in Pattaya the rates are as follows:
1 month/15,900B
3 weeks/12,700B
2 weeks/ 9,500B
Includes water, electric and cleaning.
Send me a PM with your dates if you are interested.
Already booked until mid-January 2006

Kane1
12-12-05, 05:12
I'm looking for tour guide in Bangkok.

Any recommended?

Thanks

Kash Flow
12-12-05, 05:41
Hey you guys,

Just wanted to let anyone in Bangkok now, flying on Korea airlines that the pilots went on strike and 90 percent of the outgoing flights have been canseled.

Flight confirmation phone number for Korea airlines from Bangkok.

02-635-0465-69

Today is also a holiday

Later

Kash Flow

Capt JB
12-13-05, 03:13

Any recommended?

Thanks

Kane,

Most all of the ladies know their way around BKK. You should be able to get a nice one for around 2,000 BT per 24 hours. Try the lobby bar at the Nana Hotel as you will not have to bay a bar fine there.

Duniawala
12-13-05, 04:52

Any recommended?

Thanks
Did you by any chance look at the message posted right before yours? And RTFF.

Goodfeller
12-13-05, 20:56
First off I'd like to thank all those on this forum who have given such pertanant information which ensured great times and memories for myself and my wingman over the passed couple of years. If there is anything I would change it would be my own contributions which were difficult due to a now ended relationship. To begin to make up for it I am willing to answer any questions that a newbie may have to ensure their good time as many of you were responsible for mine. I also plan on posting some pics, not all mine but they're on my camera so...Expect those as well. I have been to Thailand 4 times, Cambodia, Vietnam, Costa Rica, The Netherlands,and all over Mexico. Other countries as well but these are the travels pertinant to this forum.

To make a long story short, I have recently had some life changing moments as we all do, regarding family and a relationship. I know...poor me. Well I decided that a good way to get passed it is a celebratory trip to the LOS. Only this time my wingman and great friend is a little ahead of me. He's already enjoying himself in S.A. Ok, he's way ahead of me. So I'm left in a quandry, do I go alone or try to hook up with someone of similair interests? So here I am, just looking for someone to buy a beer and shoot the sh*t with. I have nothing definate yet but I'm looking towards the beginning of Jan. So if anyone is interested in grabbing a beer at night or movie during the day...whatever. I just know I enjoy Thailand more experiencing it with someone I can talk to. Guess I should learn Thai huh? I figure I'll do Bkk and Pattaya and it would be cool to hang with some of the posters on this board as I already feel I know a little about you. Atleast we have the same interests. I'm from the west coast of the U.S. in my early 30's. Just looking to relax and have some fun, maybe make a friend or two. That's it and regardless, thanks for all the info and thanks to Jackson for creating this invaluable tool. Enjoy and be safe.

Jaimito Cartero
12-16-05, 17:48
I scanned a bit, and didn't see anyone else posting about this.

Airasia.com is giving away 2 million seats. While they have added a "fuel surcharge" to all their tickets, it's still a decent deal. Fare class for free tickets are "J". Midweek flights are most likely to have the J class fare.

You can jaunt off to Cambodia, Indonesia or any of their other 60 destinations. These are the cities that are available from Bangkok.

Chiang Mai
• Chiang Rai
• Hanoi
• Hat Yai
• Kuala Lumpur
• K.Kinabalu
• Macau
• Narathiwat
• Penang
• Phnom Penh
• Phuket
• Singapore
• U.Ratchathani
• U.Thani
• Xiamen

Others you probably have to connect through KL and pay an additional fuel surcharge.

I always recommend booking one way travel on Air Asia, as if you lose the first leg of the ticket, the last leg is lost too.

I booked BKK-PNH for about $34 round trip.

Booking Period: 7 - 28 December 2005
Travel Period: 7 February - 10 October 2006
Available for online & mobile booking only.

Traveler1234
12-16-05, 18:01
First off I'd like to thank all those on this forum who have given such pertanant information which ensured great times and memories for myself and my wingman over the passed couple of years. If there is anything I would change it would be my own contributions which were difficult due to a now ended relationship. To begin to make up for it I am willing to answer any questions that a newbie may have to ensure their good time as many of you were responsible for mine. I also plan on posting some pics, not all mine but they're on my camera so...Expect those as well. I have been to Thailand 4 times, Cambodia, Vietnam, Costa Rica, The Netherlands,and all over Mexico. Other countries as well but these are the travels pertinant to this forum.

To make a long story short, I have recently had some life changing moments as we all do, regarding family and a relationship. I know...poor me. Well I decided that a good way to get passed it is a celebratory trip to the LOS. Only this time my wingman and great friend is a little ahead of me. He's already enjoying himself in S.A. Ok, he's way ahead of me. So I'm left in a quandry, do I go alone or try to hook up with someone of similair interests? So here I am, just looking for someone to buy a beer and shoot the sh*t with. I have nothing definate yet but I'm looking towards the beginning of Jan. So if anyone is interested in grabbing a beer at night or movie during the day...whatever. I just know I enjoy Thailand more experiencing it with someone I can talk to. Guess I should learn Thai huh? I figure I'll do Bkk and Pattaya and it would be cool to hang with some of the posters on this board as I already feel I know a little about you. Atleast we have the same interests. I'm from the west coast of the U.S. in my early 30's. Just looking to relax and have some fun, maybe make a friend or two. That's it and regardless, thanks for all the info and thanks to Jackson for creating this invaluable tool. Enjoy and be safe.

Don't worry, you'll find plenty of wingman when you land! Post again just before you leave for LOS (include arrival date and general location) and I'm sure the brothers will answer back with a pm.

If I happen to fly over at that time, will be happy to meet up with you for a drink. Happy Holidays.

bkkla
12-25-05, 08:12
Hi,

I am arriving BKK at 6AM, and will not be able to check-in until about noon. I was wondering if you had any ideas on what I could do until then? Don't want to waste precious time, but not sure what action is available at this time in the AM. Any tips greatly appreciated.

Frank Pole
12-27-05, 06:35
Hi,

I am arriving BKK at 6AM, and will not be able to check-in until about noon. I was wondering if you had any ideas on what I could do until then? Don't want to waste precious time, but not sure what action is available at this time in the AM. Any tips greatly appreciated.I have seen some of the beer bars on Sukhimvitt open as early as 8:am. around Soi 15.

Frank Pole
12-27-05, 06:41
Will be arriving in bkk at midnight on the 16th. of Jan. Staying for 3 nights then off to Pattaya for the 1st time. Any fellow mongers want to have a beer or 5 PM me. This is the 1st time i won't have a wingman on a trip to LOS.

Coma Boy
12-27-05, 07:03
I am arriving BKK at 6AM, and will not be able to check-in until about noon. I was wondering if you had any ideas on what I could do until then? Don't want to waste precious time.How about some fucking breakfast and a swim.

But if you really can't wait till the afternoon your best bet is to wait in the hotel's lobby and poach a hooker on her way back home to sleep, or better yet head over to Nana Hotel and grab any of the millions of girls/katoeys leaving there and take them to a ST hotel.

I fucked a pregnant hooker in a gyno-chair last night. Just thought you should know that.

PosterLion
12-27-05, 19:35
I fucked a pregnant hooker in a gyno-chair last night.

Hey bkkla,

You should note that Coma is a twisted long-timer. I worry about him.

Is he collecting over-the-top paraphernalia such as the gyno-chair for athome enjoyment or did he bonk at the PB Hotel recently? I'm not a newbie and I'm not going to pose that question to the MOB. It's for you only.

Something to ponder on your first visit, you could end up like Coma (not all bad) or (pity you) someone like me.

cheers mate

Evil Penivel
12-28-05, 00:04
Hi,

I am arriving BKK at 6AM, and will not be able to check-in until about noon. I was wondering if you had any ideas on what I could do until then? Don't want to waste precious time, but not sure what action is available at this time in the AM. Any tips greatly appreciated.

A lot depends on what time you actually land and how long it takes you to clear immigration, baggage retrieval, customs, changing money, etc. If you're able to get into a cab before 7.00 a.m., you can probably beat much of the morning rush. After 7.00 a.m. and you'll be fighting traffic jams for a long time. A better idea is to chill out at the Amari Airport Hotel. You can get a day room for about $25 for three hours. Eat breakfast, shower, change clothes, go for a swim, etc. until the morning rush dies at around 9.30 or 10.00 a.m. Head into BKK, drop your luggage off at your hotel and then take advantage of any number of possibilities. A lot of places open around 10.00 a.m. But if you're super horny, full service can be arranged 24/7 through the afterflight Relaxation center at the Amari. It's expensive, though.

Capt JB
12-28-05, 06:50
Bkkla,

It well may be close to 8AM by the time you get your bags, clear customs & imigration and get to your hotel in BKK. If the hotel has a free room there is a good chance they will let you go ahaed and check in. A couple hundred bt to the desk clerk would not hurt your cause.

Coma Boy
12-28-05, 14:17
Is he collecting over-the-top paraphernalia such as the gyno-chair for at home enjoyment or did he bonk at the PB Hotel recently?Poster, PB! PB!

Haven't bought my own chair.

1Ball
12-28-05, 15:37
Do any of you guys know which terminal Air Asia flies into?
Also is there a clear and distinct place where I can tell someone to meet me, after customs exit? I never pay attention to the name of shops as I exit, always in a hurry to get into a cab. Why is that, I wonder.....

TIA.

Piper1
12-28-05, 15:49
1Ball - Terminal 1. I was watching the signs closely as I arrived as the cabbie wasn't sure which terminal, and I saw the sign for Air Asia.

There's a bookshop amongst the shops after customs - that's all I can remember. Was thinking of buying a book, but decided I had other things to do instead.

cheers

Piper

1Ball
12-28-05, 16:31
thanks Piper.
now log off, and go enjoy yourself.... :D

Freeler
12-28-05, 16:42
1Ball,

Meeting place terminal 1:
Elevator to Armari Airport hotel and RWS.

Meeting place terminal 2:
Where the taxi drivers are, inside the terminal, on the terminal 1 side.
Visitors can't go beyond this point, arrivals have to pass on their way to terminal 1.

BTW: RWS = RailWayStation....

1Ball
12-28-05, 17:08
Freeler, RWS ????

Piper1
12-28-05, 17:15
thanks Piper.
now log off, and go enjoy yourself.... :DWill log off soon -it's 2am here (everyone's in bed), and I can't sleep, as I'm on Dubai time (8pm).

Go enjoy? I'm visiting my parents!

1Ball
12-28-05, 17:24
Go enjoy? I'm visiting my parents!

So you should be really full when you hit BKK again at the end of next week.
Make sure to capture that first facial on film, for the enjoyment of the rest of the boys !
;)

Piper1
12-28-05, 17:41
Make sure to capture that first facial on film, for the enjoyment of the rest of the boys !
;)
Got one already (insert wicked smiley here). Just had another look at the pics - she's better looking than I remembered now I've had some sleep. First time I've done a facial to be honest. Her tongue sticking out was saying "do it Piper". ;) But yes, being confined to sex prison several days will ensure a wholesome repeat.

MeatMan
12-31-05, 21:44
Well,as the post implies, I'll be in Bangkok and elsewhere for a month. Anyone wanna hookup for a beer?, send me a PM. Can get the thought of being there out of my head!:D