PDA

View Full Version : Lima - Restaurant Recommendations

Admin
01-01-05, 02:00
Thread Starter.

Shamas
10-08-05, 07:37
Hooters - Lima Peru - is it like the hooters here in the states ? Busty babes, pretty, great legs, over priced food, great babes, delightfully tacky yet unrefined ?

Thanks

Shamas O'Dognasty

Shamas
10-08-05, 07:44
In San Jose Costa Rica we have a GREAT Peruvian resturant. It's a small place but the food is GREAT to say the least. They lucked out and opened up just up the hill from a very popular MP. Since so many SJO travelers frequent the MP, we have learned about the Resturante del Peru. Geeze great food and great pleasures all within a 30 second walk. Life IS Good.

Would y'all take a few minutes and post your favorite eating places "NO DATY" guys, real FOOD please :-), V only helps out for an hour or two, after that I need Food.

Thanks SO very much

Shamas O'Dognasty

Dick Rambone
10-08-05, 12:58
Fish:

Pescados Capitales
La Mar 1337, Miraflores
Phone 421-8808/222-5731
Open Tue-Sun 12.30pm-5.00 pm
Credit V Mc Di AmEx
Price $$

A lunch-only seafood restaurant that has unconditionally conquered the demanding palates of locals. Placed in the furthest corner of Miraflores inside an unpretentious building with rustic décor, this is one of the best places for initiating in the pleasures of ceviches, tiraditos, and causas.

José Antonio
Bernardo Monteagudo 200, San Isidro
Phone 264-0188/3284
Open Mon-Sun 12.30-4.30pm and 7.30pm-12.30am
Credit V MC Di AmEx
Price $$-$$$

Probably the most renowned criollo restaurant, José Antonio is a must for food lovers and gourmets. Here you won't find crossover or fusion cuisine, but just the simple traditional dishes that Peruvians have been enjoying for decades. With 30 years around, José Antonio's menu includes some of the superstar dishes of Lima's gastronomic scene. Such is the case of the apanado (breaded steak accompanied with tacu-tacu, fried banana, fried egg, and a raw spicy onion sauce), and the great Piqueo, a huge plate containing the best criollo appetizers: anticucho (skewer of beef heart), stuffed potato, crispy yucca, corn tamale, deep fried pork, corn, and sweet potato.

Las Brujas de Cachiche
Ovalo Bolognesi 460, Miraflores
Phone 446-6536
Open Mon-Sun from noon to 12pm
Credit V MC Di AmEx
Price $$$

The extensive menu includes all the traditional dishes, some of which are even prepared following the ancient recipes. Great the lomo saltado del Gran Brujo (beef steak and potatoes stir fried with onions, chilli pepper, and soy sauce), anticuchos de corazón (grilled beef heart brochettes), and the tasteful tacu-tacu (seasoned beans and rice).

Asian:

Asia de Cuba
Av. Conquistadores 780, San Isidro
Phone 222-4940
Open Mon-Sat 12-4pm and 7pm onwards
Credit V MC Di AmEx
Price $$$

Located in one of the busy streets of Lima's nightlife, Asia de Cuba is a trendy combination of a restaurant, a lounge, and a bar. The cuisine is a crossover of Latin American and Asian traditions, in particular Thai, Indian, Chinese, Cuban and, of course, Peruvian.

The menu includes such dishes as Atún Tropicana (grilled tuna in a coconut and rum sauce) and Corvina Nobu (steamed sea bass with sake and ginger on a barley bed), and is complemented with the more traditional sashimi, sushi, and maki rolls from the sushi bar.

Cafe's:

San Antonio
Roca de Vergallo 201, Magdalena del Mar
Phone 461-7732/0956
Open Mon-Sun 7am-11pm
Credit V Mc Di
Price $$

San Antonio was founded almost 50 years ago as a small neighbourhood grocer shop in the quiet Magdalena del Mar district. During the mid 90s the founders revolutionised their business into a high-end café, bakery, and delicatessen shop, and just about immediately pursued an aggressive expansion strategy, though never overlooking the quality.

The atmosphere in any of the 4 locations is friendly and relaxed, the sandwiches are great, and prices most reasonable.

The other locations are situated in Av. Vasco Núñez de Balboa 770, Miraflores; Av. Prolongación Primavera 373, Chacarilla; and Av. Angamos Oeste 1494, Miraflores.

Lima Busy
10-08-05, 15:19
Hooters - Lima Peru - is it like the hooters here in the states ? Busty babes, pretty, great legs, over priced food, great babes, delightfully tacky yet unrefined ?

Thanks

Shamas O'Dognasty

Everything but the "busty babes"! Do not know why that is but they are very pretty, especially the young "Barbie Benton" lookalike. Food/prices/atmosphere is the same.

LB

Shamas
10-08-05, 15:59
Barbie Benton is still good looking, in her days she was one in a billion. If they have BB look alikes I'll never leave

Thanks so much

Shamas O'D

Member #4351
10-08-05, 16:17
Generally considered the best (and most expensive) Peruvian cuisine restaurant here in Lima is called Jose Antonio. I have taken a couple of monger visitors there and they have greatly enjoyed it. A little hard to find in San Isidro. Manos Morenos in Barranco also has good Peruvian food.

A couple of weeks ago I visited San Ceferino on Dos de Mayo in San Isidro with Surfer and Gauguin. Great Italian food and atmosphere.

On Sundays, the way to go is the Restaurant Blue Moon´s Italian buffet in Lince. Get there before 1:00 pm. Only about $15 and tons of good food. Even better atmosphere than San Ceferino IMHO due to the largest liquor collection in Peru and possibly South America. Full bottles of all shapes and sizes are on all the walls and ceilings. Favorite spot for public figures to go with their secretaries or "amantes" due to the back rooms hidden from view.

Lima Busy
10-08-05, 16:31
For all you newbies,
We have most of the American fastfood chains: MickeyD's/Burgerking/Dominos/PapaJohns/Fridays/KFC/TonyRomas/Benihana/
Dunkin doughnuts/Starbucks to name a few. Prices are pretty comparable to the USA. Peru has it's own hamburger chain "Bembo's" which is a better value but has that decidedy peruvian sabor (flavor). If you do not like it go to BK and order "traditional" sabor.

Lima is known for it's "Menu" or 6-7 soles lunch. There are literally thousands and it is hard to reccomend as we all (ex-pats) have our favorite. In Miraflores the main ones are on Calle Porta and Calle Berlin. For your $2.00 you get soup/salad, appetizer/cebiche, entree (chicken/beef/fish) dessert and refresco (watered down juice).

The trick with "Menu" is to go at 1pm and choose the place with the most people or if you know "Peruvian food" who ever is offering what you are in the mood for.

Pizza, even though we have a "Calle Pizza" or Pizza street here, the pizza generally sucks. There are some high end restaurants that make brick oven pizzas here but you are probably better off waiting till you get home.

Chicken, boy do we have good chicken here! The best place for "rotisseire chicken" is one of the many "Pardo's", followed by "Meddatreanos" and "Norky's".

As one of only 15 countries in the world with a "Cordon Bleu" school here, you can imagine we take our restuarants here seriously. The top tier restuarants will run you about $60-$75 a couple. The next level is in the $40-$60 range.

Peruvian restuarants*****
Mare y Monti
Astrid Y Gaston
Tantu
Punta Sol
Bruhas de Cachiche

Italian *****
Tratorria
Santa Lucia
Vivaldino's

One of the newest hotspots is called "the Scene" Scena restaurante. This is the place to go if you hook up with a young model. You can check out there website at www.scena.com.pe . It is also good for drinks and "Tapis".

While in "Lima" you should check Barranco as well. Go to one of the "Penas" for the show and dancing. On Sunday afternoons they have a Peruvian "brunch" in the park. They have different tables set up with all the specialities. It is outdoors,very cheap and has music as well. After Brunch take a walk along the Malecon Paul Harris back to Miraflores.

When I have the time, I will write more specifics.

LB

Member #4351
10-08-05, 16:35
If you go to a Peña I suggest you go to the bathroom or hide when the afro dancing show comes on. They always identify the person who looks most like a gringo tourist and make a fool out of you trying to burn your ass with a candle dancing the "alcatraz".

Lima Busy
10-08-05, 16:40
If you go to a Peña I suggest you go to the bathroom or hide when the afro dancing show comes on. They always identify the person who looks most like a gringo tourist and make a fool out of you trying to burn your ass with a candle dancing the "alcatraz".

Ja Ja, David you gave away the secret. That is akin to telling a NYC tourist about "three card monty".

LB

Seismo
10-09-05, 01:09
Buffet Manui
Av Republica de Panama 3615/San Isidro
www.buffetmanui.com
This is a seafood buffet, reasonably priced, sometimes has discounts on website. Great soups and a good variety of seafood and pastas.

Unknown name
Calle Cantuarias 285/Miraflores
2 blocks from Hotel MariaLuisa
Low priced seafood, lots of lunch specials, great corvina dishes.

Altamar
Av Jose Pardo/cuadra 6-second floor
walking distance from McDonalds in Miraflores
also great seafood dishes

Hotel Las Americas
corner Larco and Benevides in Miraflores
21st floor.
This is a very average daily buffet, however,it is in one of the tallest buildings in Lima and has fantastic views if you can find a day where the smog isn't too bad.

Dick Rambone
10-09-05, 01:58
Last time I was there I had a great Pisco Sour Biondi at the Hotel Las Americas on Pardo. Can wait to be back in December or late November! For good coffee go to 4D and try the doble cortado.

Left Fielder
10-12-05, 00:00
Lima has some of the best food in all of South America. I feel that it ranks up there with Buenos Aires and Sao Paulo.

Here's a cheat-sheet for restaurants and cafes in Peru. Many of the descriptions are simply cut and pasted from sites like Roughguides/etc. Unless otherwise specified, the prices are in estimate of Nuevo Soles without drinks. Enjoy:

LUNCH:
-Mangos - Svalo Gutierrez 789, Miraflores, 241-3239 - 7am-mid Sun-Th/24h F-Sat - famous buffet/brunch, near Ovalo Gutierrez, contemporary
-El Farolito - San Martin 435, 445-3568 - best at lunch, full/delicious set menus, inexpensive/popular w/locals in quiet part of Miraflores, budget
-La Pergola - Boulevard San Ramon 225 - one of the best Italian restaurants off Diagonal, (w/Chemnitz video pub + La Glorietta Pizzeria), moder.
-Chifa Kun Fa - San Martin 459, Miraflores, 447-8634 - great Peruvian-Chinese food, near Park & Larco Mar, moderate/budget
-Chifa Long - Manco Capac 483, Miraflores - Chinese restaurant, good set lunch, fried fish, inexpensive/moderate
-Bircher Benner - Diez Canseco 487, 444-5452 - vegetarian/health-food, Miraflores, good lunch value, tropical fruit juices, moderate
-El Ceviche de Arturo - Berlin 192 - centrally located lunchtime seafood restaurant, decent (but not the best) food in town, moderate

-Cordano - Jiron Ancash 202 - traditional bar/restaurant, good value, 19/20 century decor, mon-sat 8am-11pm
-Restaurant Machu Picchu - Ancash 312 (near Hostal España), Central Lima - popular w/backpackers, good/cheap, set menus w/large portions
-Cafe Restaurant Accllahuasy - Ancash 400, Central Lima - 07:00-23:00 - another good budget choice with sandwiches/snacks/set meals.
-Chifa Capon - Ucayali 774 - excellen/traditional Limenan/Chinese restaurant, good range, doesn't stay open late, moderate
-L'Eau Vive - Ucayali 370, 427-5612 - opposite Torre Tagle Palace, French food, nuns, mon-sat 12:30-245pm + 815-1030pm, $7+/lunch, $15-25

DINNER:
-*Astrid y Gastón - Cantuarias 175, Miraflores - 444-1496- 12:30-3:30,7:30-midnight - $11-20/course - near Parque Central, chic modern colonial dining room and cozy bar w/high ceilings & art, criollo-Mediterranean, fish, oysters, desserts
-*La Gloria - Atahualpa 201 Lima - 446-6504 - Spanish - 6pm-1am - business/ chic crowd, fusion of int’l and Catalan cuisine, great drinks, contemporary/mediterr. - 1 block from Ave Pardo, refined/chic, int'l/'Suqet de Peix'
-*Il Postino - Calle Colina 401 - 446-8381 - $15-25 - open >8pm, early-1900s home on a side street in Miraflores, delicious pasta dishes, friendly and personal, handmade pastas, excellent steaks
-*La Trattoria di Mambrino - Manuel Bonilla 106 - 446-7002 - 1-315+8-11:15pm - families/young couples, homemade pastas (stuffed versions, such as the anglotti with three meats, rabbit, pork, and beef)
-Valentino - Manuel Bañón 215 San Isidro (441-6174) - 715-midnight - excellent, shrimp gratin, scallopina w/morilles, pasta, $25 special menu
-Antico Ristorante Italiano di Porto Rotondo - Recavarren 265, Miraflores - 447-9575 - Italian, $7-12/course - house w/bar and classic and well-prepared Italian dishes: ravioli, risotto, gnocchi, and osso buco, as well as fresh fish
-Antica Trattoria - San Martín 201, Barranco - 247-5752 - 6pm-1am - warm/friendly Italian, $7-12/course - several small dining rooms with rustic and simple wooden décor, gourmet pizza from wood-fired ovens, homemade pastas, osso buco.

-Restaurante Costa Verde - Playa Barranquito, 477-2424/477-5228 - exclusive, seafood, 100/per buffet, expensive
-El Señorio de Sulco - Malecon Cisneros 1470, 445-6640 - noon-midnight, Peruvian/diverse cuisine, piano, ocean view, expensive ($15-25/dish)
-Gloria (La) - Atahualpa 201, Miraflores, 446-6504 - 6pm-1am - contemporary/mediterr. - 1 block from Ave Pardo, refined/chic, int'l/'Suqet de Peix'
-Club Suizo - Genaro Iglesias 550, Miraflores - exquisite Swiss cuisine, very pleasant environment, expensive
-Curich - Bolognesi 753, Miraflores, 444-5005 - few blocks from Parque del Amor, restaurant piano-bar, snack bar, tamales, moderate
-La Rosa Nautica - Espigon 4, Costa Verde, 447-0057 - seafood, pier/ocean view in Miraflores, seafood, expensive (set $20-30, a la carte $50+)
-Las Brujas de Cachiche - Avenida Bolognesi 460,447-1883/444-5310 - 12:30pm-12:30am, classy, Peruv/Col/Ica meals, expensive ($25-30/meal)
-Trattoria Don Vito - Martín Dulanto 111, Miraflores - 445-8156 - $15-35 - Italian - countless varieties of pasta, friendly, great pizzas and desserts
-Las Mesitas - Grau 323, Barranco, ½ block N of Parque Municipal - 477-4199 - $5-15 - old-fashioned café, sweets, mazamorra morada
-Alfresco - Carabaya 445 / 445-4311, 444-7962 Miraflores; 422-8915; 440-5099 Santa Luisa; San Isidro, $15-25, chains specializing in seafood

-El Otro Sitio - Calle Sucre 317, Barranco, criolla dishes w/music, close to Puente de Suspiros, Wed-Sun 8pm-midnight, moderate
-Chifa Lung Fung - Avenida Republica de Panama 3165, San Isidro, 441-8817 - best Chinese restaurant, gardens, expensive, $15-35

CAFE:
-Larco Pan Café - Av. Larco 1106, Miraflores - 445-3801 - inexpensive - 830-2300 - pizza, pasta, sandwich café
-La Tasca - Avenida Comandante Espinar 300 - good, lunch set menu, 3-5US, Miraflores, budget
-Cafe Cafe - Matir Olaya 250 - 'groovy' coffee shop, 'place to be seen', rock music, just off Diagonal in Miraflores, daily 10am-mid., snack-bar/cafe
-Piccolo Cafe - Diez Canseco 126, Miraflores - pleasant cafe near Parque 7 de Junio, inexpensive sandwiches/snacks/ice creams
-Club Haiti - Diagonal 160 - hang-out, popular meeting place for locals, good but expensive snacks/drinks, daily 8am-midnight, cafe/snack-bar
-La Tiendecita Blanca - Avenida Larco Herrera 111 - popular meeting place, good range of cakes/pastries but pricey, 8am-8pm qd, cafe/snack-bar
-Media Naranja - Schell 130 at Psje. Porta, Miraflores, 10am-3am daily, 446-6946 - Parque Kennedy, Brazilian bar/restaurant, inexpensive

BY TYPE:
-MEDITERRANEO: La Cofradía - La Gloria - San Felice - Rafael - Valentino - Apicius
-ITALIANA: A Modo Mio - Don Vito - IL Postino - La Linterna - Mari E Monti - La Trattoria Romántica - San Ceferino - Santangelo - La Trattoria
-FRANCESA: Café Voltaire - Le Bistrot De Mes Fils - La Crepe Bretonne - Ambrosia - Astrid y Gastón
-PERUANA: Brujas de Cachiche - José Antonio - La Tunupa - La Ermita - Manos Morenas - El Señorio del Sulco - Zeño Manué - A Puerta Cerrada - El Perroquet
-PESCADOS: Rosa Naútica - Punta Sal - Francesco - Costa Verde - Alfresco - El Catamarán - Costanera 700 - El Hawaiano - La Rana Verde - El Kapallaq - Rosita Yimura - Segundo Muelle - Sonia - Catamarán
-THAILANDESA: Thai Lounge
-JAPONESA: Benihana - Makoto - Matsuei - Sushi Ito - Sentori Sushi
-CHINA: Chifa Fu Jou - Chifa How Wha - Chifa Internacional - Chifa Kam Mey My - Chifa Real - Chifa Titi - Kuo Wha Gardens - O Mei Restaurante Royal - Salón Capón - Wa Lok - Chifa Lung Fung
-PARRILLADAS: La Carreta - Cuarto y Mitad - Rincón Gaucho - La Tranquera - La Vaca Loca
-NUEVA COCINA: La Huaca Pucllana:
-CAFE: La Tiendecita Blanca - Bohemia - Dalmacia - Bodega de la Trattoria - Café Café - Café La Paz - Café Olé - Delicass- Il Positano - Haití - Manolo - News Café - Pastelería San Antonio - Vivaldi
-ESPAÑOLA: Casa de España - Casa Juan

I agree with Lima Busy on his suggestion to check out a Peña in Barranco. I went to a place called "De Cájaro" and actually won a free pitcher of beer in a 'best foreign dancer' contest. It was an absolute blast.

Dick Rambone's post on San Antonio is notable. I went to the San Antonio in Miraflores (Av. Vasco Núñez de Balboa 770). It has excellent pastries, a nice atmosphere, and was incredibly inexpensive - in terms of US dollars.

Also, David's recommendation on San Ceferino on Dos de Mayo in San Isidro is a good one. The Italian food is quite good - my Limeña date (at that time) loved it. It's a shame that I hadn't heard of Restaurant Blue Moon; I'll have to check it out - the next time I venture out to Lima.

By the way, are Asia de Cuba (in Lima) and José Antonio relatively new restaurants? I was in Lima two years ago, and I wish that I had known that they were there. Quite frankly, there are way too many restaurant choices in this town ... which is a beautiful thing.

-LF

Member #4351
10-12-05, 00:17
Went to the Restaurant Costa Verde super Sunday lunch Buffet last Sunday with a cutie. The price is down to 75 soles with folklore show and pisco sour and chicha morada included. I´m not a big sea food fan, but for people like Screwed Up, there is a giant sushi bar, crab, camarone, etc. bar, and other fish dishes. Also peruvian food, a giant paella feast, etc. Good for impressing your chiquita. If you go in taxi, make sure that you make a deal to get picked up again. Empty taxis are few and far between in that area.

Dick Rambone
10-12-05, 21:45
Has someone tried Francesco Restaurant? I was told it's top in the seafood category.

Lima Busy
10-14-05, 02:13
Has someone tried Francesco Restaurant? I was told it's top in the seafood category.
Never tried it, shit I was hoping it was Italian. They have a nice facade and good location on the malecon. There are so many great fish places on that block, so if they are in business they are probably good. I hate fish but have tried Punta Sal and the Corvina,Cebiche and conchas parmigiano were very good. Maybe because first we drank 3-4 pitchers of Pisco Sours. My buddy a 50 y/o American was celebrating Toledo signing his birth certificate saying he was born in Cajamarca. As they say "In Peru all is possible"

LB

Screwed Up
10-16-05, 22:00
Went to the Restaurant Costa Verde super Sunday lunch Buffet last Sunday with a cutie. The price is down to 75 soles with folklore show and pisco sour and chicha morada included. I´m not a big sea food fan, but for people like Screwed Up, there is a giant sushi bar, crab, camarone, etc. bar, and other fish dishes. Also peruvian food, a giant paella feast, etc. Good for impressing your chiquita. If you go in taxi, make sure that you make a deal to get picked up again. Empty taxis are few and far between in that area.
Sounds good. I´ll have to check it out.

Speaking about sushi:
There are 2 Japanese places above each other on Av. Aviacion 2704, block 27 with San Borja Norte. 5-6 sol cab from Miraflores. All you can eat makis for sl 39 in the sushi place on the 2nd floor. If you can´t finish them all ask for media rolls (half). The Japanese place below in the basement doesn´t have good sushi, but has a big screen TV in the right room. As all people go sit in the left room you´ll have great privacy. I was getting my dick sucked right there while playing with the remote control switching the channels.

Another good sushi place is the one in Larcomar. 79 sl for barra libre.

Edo sushi in Berlin cdr 5 on the corner doesn´t have barra libre, but they have package deals for 80 sl.

I had amazing ceviche and tiradito´s in Puerto Escondido in Chorillos. On a sunny day you can sit outside with your girl while sipping from delicious soups. After that go with a mototaxi up the hill right by the big cross. The same lit cross you can see at night from Larcomar. Now the wind is in your hair, the sun is shining down on you and you´re horny. Walk all the way down untill nobody can see you. Sit down on a rock and have great outdoor sex while the birds fly over your head. Must do in the summer.

There seems to be a Peña Negra in Miraflores now.
"Concolón, Peña Negra - La única peña negra de Miraflores". Tarata 169 with Av. Larco. In Hotel Las America they have free entrance and drink cards for this peña.

Fun Pete
10-23-05, 06:26
I was wondering, how is the Beef in Peru? When I was in Argentina, I couldn't believe how delicious the natural-grown-pampa-fed beef tasted. A complete delicious steak meal Beef De Lomo would cost me 20 Pesos or so (Filet of beef $7). Is the Peruvian beef as good? I read Peru is more known for seafood.

Thanks

Lima Busy
10-23-05, 18:15
While Peru is most famous for its fish, It is also well known for Alpaca steak,Ostrich and my personal favorite CUY (guinea pig). We have a slew of argentine restaurants as well. Most restuarants use argentinean filet mignon as well. But there ares so many things much more interesting then a piece of steak. If you are willing to experiment you will find out why many people think peruvian cooking is one of the best in the world. I did not eat fish before coming here, but now i love it. It is customary here to only eat it for breakfast or lunch when it is fresh.

LB

VoodooMan
11-01-05, 07:10
LB,

Being a fellow East coaster, can you guide me to a decent Pizza place anywhere in Lima. I've been going thru withdrawals, and its not good thing.

VDM

Lima Busy
11-01-05, 17:46
Voodooman,
I do not now how to break it to you gently but it does not exist. When a country starts putting Ham & Pinapple on pizza you know you are in trouble. Also Pizza here is expensive as compared to NYC.

That bieng said "Papa Johns" is probably the best of the fast food ones. Of the Peruvian chains most people say D'INOs or D'nnos.

The "Trattoria" one block off Larco is a very fancy restuarant that has pretty good pizza as well. Also probably one of the best lasagna's in Lima.

Sorry I could not help more.
LB

John Sperm
11-02-05, 03:19
If I am not mistaken ham and pineapple would make a hawaiian Pizza, according to the Italian Eatery " Dominoes ", but then again I remember growing up and going to Larco Avenue and getting the so called Pizza, but now as I ponder on this, I know that all I got was a piece of french bread ( pan frances), and tomatoe sauce, and put in the oven. Now living in NYC, I can go and get " Ray's Pizza" which does not compare to anything else ... best bet get yourself a friend and ask him/her to send you some of the frozen Pizza, dude my girl calls it fancy dinner.... good luck ...

Screwed Up
11-02-05, 05:25
Peruvian seafood soups, tiradito´s, ceviche´s, raw fresh fish,... I used to hate fish, Peru made me love it and I can´t get enough of it.

Eating pizza in Peru is asking for trouble. Soon or late you´re going to run into a bad one and be belly up with food poisining for 2-3 days. That being said if I do feel like pizza I stick with Pizza Hut.

Personally wherever I go I always eat what the locals eat, best way to avoid food poisining and also adds to the experience.

Jaimito Cartero
11-03-05, 09:06
Well, anyone who has met me knows I like 3 things. Women, travel and food. I always like recommendations, and my buddy Seismo gave me the name of a buffet to try, Maipu. Well, I had seen on their website they were open until 5pm. I messed around on the internet too long, and only left at about 3:40pm.

When I got there at 3:50, they had already stopped serving the buffet. I didn´t find anything that appealing on their a la carte menu, so I took off. I asked the taxi driver if he knew another buffet that was open, and he seemed to think he did.

We hopped back on the freeway, and went past Miraflores to Barranco. The El Hawaiano buffet has just recently opened (If I read their sign right, anyway). While not cheap, the quality was nice. Now, I got there after 4pm, so a number of items were already out. They say they´re open from noon to 5:30 every day.

50 soles, includes an alcolholic welcome drink (margarita, pisco sour, etc), and all the normal line items, and cook to order stations they have.

They had a real nice seafood selection and would cook shimp, langostinos and other shellfish that I´m not quite sure what they were. They have a crepe desert station, grill station with kabobs, sausages and some different cuts of meat.

They´ve got a big desert section, with a bunch of different ice cream flavors, plus a good selections of cakes and other goodies. Sushi, a half dozen soups and raw shellfish give everyone something to choose from.

Service was quite good, and while I wouldn´t dine here all the time because of the cost, I felt I got a good deal.

Taxi´s are a bit hard to get going out of here. You might have to walk two blocks to the next major street. It cost me 4 soles to get back to Miraflores.

Jaimito Cartero
11-03-05, 09:28
For the most part, I eat within 3 or 4 blocks of the Maria Luisa. I´ve found that most of the local places are super cheap. In fact, I think you have to try hard to spend more than $5 on a meal.

Like the normal lunch only place that Lima Busy and his friend took me to, there are many places that have lunch (the biggest meal of the day in Peru) for $2-$3 dollars. Sure you can spend $7 or $8 at McDonalds, but WHY would you do that?

Chifa´s in particular are a good deal. I ate at one near Calle Pizza (Benavides and Schell) for 8.5 soles tonight. Shrimp with veggies, chicken fried rice, and nice wonton soup. The wait self tipped himself 1 soles, but I was headed over to Tequila Rock with my free entry from the hotel, so I wasn´t going to waste my time with it.

Member #4351
11-03-05, 15:43
Jaimito, save up your money and hit the Costa Verde Sunday lunch buffet (S./ 75 I think). Make sure your cab comes back for you or make some other arrangement to be picked up since the beach road is probably the only place in Lima where you can´t find a cab. Get there at a little before 1:00 to get to the food before the crowd comes. Good Peruvian music and dance show later on in the afternoon, so eat slow.

Maltrufio
11-09-05, 06:20
I hit Francesco's (and Jose Antonio) every time I'm in Lima. Francesco's has excellent seafood, a good variety, and is much better than Alfresco. They have a ricotto chile stuffed with crab meat that I still dream about. It's pricy, similar to Jose Antonio, but worth it. You need a reservation though if you're more than a couple, it doesn't seat that many and is always packed, even for lunch. Good pisco sour too.

Also, good Peruvian restaurant in the Mission District in SF. Its called Limon and is probably the best I've had in the states.

Lima Busy
11-10-05, 16:39
There is a dining guide to Lima known as "The Silver Llama" which can be purchased through the ACAP(american canadien assoc.)website. It is basically a survey of all the expat reviews and is probably the authority on restaurants here.

On a side note there is a cafe on Larco "la favorita" which is becoming very popular with the SP's cruising for gringos. Some friends and I have taken to going there everynight around 8 as both the coffee and food is cheap and excellent. To give you a idea, I was there last night with the wife and for 24 soles about $7 we had a cortado/2 cappaucinos/1 pisco and a sandwich.
Most people will tell you it is the best cortado in Lima and the sandwich is a french baguette with smoked ham/fresh motzarella/roasted pepper/tomatoe and orregano. It is out of this world and better than a San Antonio sandwich.

Like most places if you bring a date make sure she is not facing the street and try not to react to the passing show, I have had more then one chica flash me trying to get a smile .

LB
LB

Dick Rambone
11-10-05, 17:24
My favorite cortado is at 4D in Angamos.

Lima Busy
11-19-05, 18:25
Also, good Peruvian restaurant in the Mission District in SF. Its called Limon and is probably the best I've had in the states.

And if you are in NYC and craving peruvian food, there is a new Peruvian restaurant in the west village next to the Lemongrass thai restuarant I think on Broadway and Christopher.

Dick Rambone, I picked up a chica the other day outside ICPNA(language school) and we walked down the block to 4d. I had the cortado but I still prefer "La Favorita". It might have had something to do with the chica telling me she was not a expert in bed and not wanting to give me head, so in the end I cut her loose as well. No sense wasting a beautiful afternoon on a lousy lay (even a free one)!

Since we have no bar section, I will just add this here. There is a small street right off Bellavista (behind pizza street)Francisco de Paulo that is turning into a hot area for restaurants and Martini bars.

There is a great place called "O" bar, it is for Peruvian Metro's and higher class Limenas. Beer's 8./s, JD 22./s, Martini's 19./s. Lately I have been into "pisco puro" and they have quite a collection, not unlike the "grappa" bars in NYC. They have art and photo exhibitions as well and you have to check out the wall when you first enter. It is about 14ft high and like a fish tank but filled with glass bottles and backlit.Last night there were 4 really hot models filming a wine commercial and the place was packed out. We were the only "gringo's" and the Chica's hardly seemed interested. Met a great waitress "Genevieve" Australian/Peruvian who is a doll and speaks better english than me or is it I? If you go there ask for her and she will give you the lay of the land! It is on the same street as "the Scene" which I mentioned before and another posh place "R" which is the restuarant with the 2 story glass walled front with nothing but a giant bed out front.

LB

Shamas
11-26-05, 02:52
[QUOTE=Seismo]
Unknown name
Calle Cantuarias 285/Miraflores
2 blocks from Hotel MariaLuisa
Low priced seafood, lots of lunch specials, great corvina dishes.

The place actually has a name on the inside wall but from the outside 285 is more than enough to help you find it. Jackster and myself both had lunch there today and it was very good. Will do the "Friends" place on Berlin tomorrow.

Lima Busy told us about a little cafe on Ave Larco called La Favorite, it´s on Ave Larco at Diaz Conseco, has a blue awning. Great little side walk cafe. Try everything once. If I´m reading the menu correctly they offer American Breakfast, I´ll find that out tomorrow

Shamas O´D

Suave Gato
11-28-05, 20:14
Not everyone can afford Lima's great hotels, but at $50 for two almost all the restaurants are within everybody's reach. Besides some of the great recomendations already listed, I will attempt to add a few others.

Great Date restaurants. These are well known spots that will impress your date with your knowledge of Lima!

French-
L'Eau Vive- Centro Lima.
This is a french restaurant run by Nun's that has great food and donates all proceeds to charity. Be sure to be there at 9.30pm when the nun's sing "ave maria"

Peruvian-
Astrid y Gaston-Miraflores
One of Lima's most famous restaurants. It is operated by a couple and "Gaston" has his own popular TV show in Lima.

Las Brujas de Caciche- Miraflores
Well known spot with popular bar on top. Try the famous "coca sour".

Huaca Pucllana- Miraflores
A must see at night. This overlooks a famous ruin that is lit up at night. Food is Nouveau Peruvian, be sure your reservation is on the covered terrace!

El Kapallaq- Miraflores
Considered by locals as the best Ceviche in Peru this restaurant is open for lunch only. They also have other seafood dishes cooked in the traditional "clay pots"

I only mention "La Rosa Nautica" because every chica in Lima wants to tell her girlfriends that she went there. While the walkway is extremely romantic the prices are high and the food is so so. A better choice is the Costa Verde, others have mentioned and IMHO is far superior. If you are in Lima for New Year's Eve it is a good value at about $100/couple.

ALP

Artisttyp
11-28-05, 21:28
On the same block as tequilas night club is a little joint called "sofi's" It's really good for lunch. Peruvian food w/drink for $6 soles, very close to Hotel Maria Luisa.

In my opnion be very careful about eating at Calle de Pizzas.They add on an iva and service charge to plates already over inflated. Just get a beer or something to snack on.

I also agree that the "chifas" chinese places are great, some even better than here in NYC. They add more fresh vegetables to their plates.

Buen provecho!

Screwed Up
11-29-05, 15:16
We hopped back on the freeway, and went past Miraflores to Barranco. The El Hawaiano buffet has just recently opened (If I read their sign right, anyway). While not cheap, the quality was nice. Now, I got there after 4pm, so a number of items were already out. They say they´re open from noon to 5:30 every day.

50 soles, includes an alcolholic welcome drink (margarita, pisco sour, etc), and all the normal line items, and cook to order stations they have.
I checked it out after I read your post. Good choice. Fresh good ceviche and tiradito's. The sushi was good too. The can of fresh lemon juice was 8 soles but watered down too much.

Address: Av. Paseo de la República 6500, Barranco
(3 soles cab drive from Parque Kennedy) On the corner with the highway.
http://www.paginasamarillas.com.pe/Anuncios/anuncio.asp?app=be&sapp=&a=409964&rspe=el%20hawaiano&d=15&dl=LI04&

Pinga
01-12-06, 19:01
I am familiar with a few of the well known restaurants in Lima but I have this question for the board; when and where does the " Festival del Ceviche " take place?

Lima Busy
01-13-06, 21:25
I am familiar with a few of the well known restaurants in Lima but I have this question for the board; when and where does the " Festival del Ceviche " take place?
I will have to defer to David33 or Screwedup on this one. I do know the "Festival las Bearded Conchitas" is 24/7 if that helps!
LB

Member #4351
01-13-06, 21:38
Different restaurants offer this at different times. Usually a buffet setup. I don´t like Cebiche myself...so don´t go to those restaurants. The Sunday "El Comercio" Luces section has ads for these events. But there are Cebiche places all over.

Suave Gato
02-11-06, 18:01
i had to come up to lima (been staying in asia) the other day to rent a tux for a costume party. i decided to spend a couple day's here and the first night a took a girl to "scena" in miraflores. i was totally blown away. it is a very upscale bar/restaurant in the nyc mode. i forget the name of the street, but it is the one with "r" and the "o" bar.

drinks were very reasonable 18 soles martini's and they have a very exotic selection. the food is very reasonable and eclectic as well. the highlight of the restaurant is definetly the entertainment. they had a french bailerina and another chica "trapeze type" that came right out of cirque de soliel.

a great date bar as well and there were some hotties in there for you solo guys.

i stayed till about one and the whole tab was only 250 soles!

Truant
02-17-06, 06:42
I highly recommend "El Pez Amigo" in Miraflores on Avenida La Paz on the south end (west side). This restaurant has extremely reasonable prices and the atmosphere there for lunch is kind of an upscale "good old boys" place characterized by backslapping and cigar chomping at a men's club. The ceviche and cauza are to die for.

Phish
03-04-06, 20:01
Its been few months and I always wanted to post my experience on Chineese food in Peru, its got to be the best selection of Chineese food than most south american places I visited.

1. Chifa
This is a chain that is found all over Lima and fairly cheap, but what I noticed is that if they know that you are a tourist then they hit you up with the most expensive dishes also they will not server you the lunch menu.. when you ask for the English menu then thy know you are a sucker.

2. La Lok
This is got to be one of the best Cantonese restaurants that I have eaten it. Its right near china town in downtown Lima. Find this place and go ear there, there food is very cheap and excellent and authentic. I spoke to the Owners wife who spoke good english, she said thst she had lived in th US for some time.

Enjoy

Pinga
03-05-06, 16:52
I have to recommend a small bistro restaurant called Chez Eladio. It is on calle El Parque, two blocks south of Javier Prado in San Isidro. It faces a small park and has a fine selection of wines and cordials. It is a bit expensive for locals but I was told that it is one of the few places in Lima where you can find very large shrimp "a la plancha". My plate came with six huge shrimp that were just delicious in a buttery cream sauce. Ala carte, this dish was 84 soles but well worth it. They also have a varied menu with traditional Peruvian dishes but I was full with the shrimp and garlic bread that they serve it with.

Dick Rambone
03-06-06, 16:48
Had the pleasure yesterday to go to Tanta in Primavera. It was great. Had a Causa de Cangrejos and Picante (Aji de Gallina with Seafood), 2 Cuzqueñas all for US$12. They have a great variety of food and pastries. Highly recomemded.

Also have been to Restaurant La Mar, where I ate a cevichin and Chita al Ajo. Tried Pescados Capitales with a wonderful Ceviche Mixto, and Lenguado. Plan to go to Francesco before I leave.

It can´t get better than this!

Maltrufio
03-10-06, 18:29
I'm a beer aficionado and tried Palos de Moguer in San Isidro. Pretty good blonde for lighter beer lovers and an excellent IPA. The brown wasn't very good and there was no heifeweisen or other wheat beer. I'll go back for the IPA though, it was comparable to Sierra Nevada.

Dick Rambone
03-11-06, 17:57
I just stick to Cuzquena or Pilsen Callao.

Maltrufio
03-13-06, 22:43
I just stick to Cuzquena or Pilsen Callao.
I'm happy for you

Polvo
05-25-06, 17:47
Given that most mongers must like the taste of fish I can recommend Edo's Sushi restaurant. Two locations: in Miraflores on Berlin 601 (corner opposite Bruce Hotel), and in San Borja on San Borja Sur 663.

Miraflores is the better interior - but both have outstanding Sushi. Fish is excellent quality, preparation is quite fast, staff are friendly and Chicas love Sushi. Something to do with texture.

But, as always, Sushi is American prices.

Gringo Loco #2
06-06-06, 23:56
Given that most mongers must like the taste of fish I can recommend Edo's Sushi restaurant.

But, as always, Sushi is American prices.Why eat expensive Japanese Sushi when you can enjoy wonderful Peruvian Cerviche?

Polvo
06-07-06, 20:55
Why eat expensive Japanese Sushi when you can enjoy wonderful Peruvian Cerviche?'cos Fish is Fish, and if you are going to tell me that Frachesco's ceviche is cheaper that Sushi I will stand corrected.

But, then again, why munch Y-bone steak when so much Lomo Soltado is around!! :-)

Polvo

Lima Busy
06-14-06, 23:18
Here is a list I came across recently which is a pretty good starting point as a guide for restaurants in Peru. Maybe someone will take me and the twins! (wink wink Polvo!)
Best Restaurants in Lima Peru
From an article on the Economist :

TO OUTSIDERS, latin American food may conjure up not much more than the smell of Mexican tacos. But Peru can lay claim to one of the world's dozen or so great cuisines. Beyond its trademark dish of CEBICHE (raw fish marinated in lime juice), Peruvian food is little known abroad. Peru is in the throes of a gastronomy "spontaneous revolution" in gastronomy.
Two things give Peruvian food its distinctive edge.The first is the country's huge biodiversity, with dozens of microclimates. Potatoes, quash, peanuts, hot peppers, beans and maize were all grown before the Spaniards arrived. Despite overfishing, the cold Humboldt current that hugs Peru's desert coast is still rich in fish and shellfish......
Of the many options you can find in Lima for excellent dinning, I have selected the best five for each kind of food ( Seafood, Peruvian, Chinese, International), according to my own personal experience :

* Category: Best of
* Traveler type: Culture
* Appeals to: Business travelers, Couples/romantics, Honeymooners, Singles, Families with small children, Families with teenagers, Large groups, Seniors, Students, Tourists
* Seasons: Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall
* Tags: restaurant, seafood, gourmet, cebiche, food, cuisine, excellent food, best

1. Kapallaq (seafood)

Frequented by a clientele that appreciates a sophisticated yet traditional seafood cuisine.The menu features many fish and shellfish clay pot stews, seasoned with native Peruvian herbs and flavours, as well as dishes that reveal a Spanish influence in the generous use of wine, olive oil, saffron, and garlic.
Opens only for lunch, from Mondays to Saturdays.Make reservations as it only has 10 tables

Av.Petit Thouars 4844 Miraflores. Phone: 4444149

2. Francesco (seafood)
http://www.francesco.com.pe

Very fine restaurant with excellent seafood and pasta dishes.
Opens only for lunch Mondays to Sundays.Reservations are a must.

Malecon de la Marina 526, Miraflores Phone: 4428255 or 2212697

3. Alfresco (seafood)

This restaurant is so successful it has now several branches around San Isidro and Miraflores. Their new addition is Cala, located in the Costa Verde near Barranquito beach.

Malecon Balta 790, Miraflores Phone : 2428960 or 4447962

4. Punta Sal (seafood)
http://www.puntasal.com

Another successful restaurant with several branches. Excellent seafood dishes at reasonable prices. Only opens for lunch.

Conquistadores 948,San Isidro Phone : 4417431

5. La Mar (seafood)

Gaston Acurio latest addition The dishes meet every requirement for success: abundant, inexpensive, and delicious. Indeed, you need to get there quite early unless you don't mind waiting for 2 hours on the bar.No reservations accepted.

Av. La Mar 770, Miraflores Phone : 4213365

6. El Senorio de Sulco (Peruvian)
http://www.senoriodesulco.com

Their cuisine both recovers and preserves the authenticity of Peruvian dishes, and combines local flavours and tastes with modern culinary techniques to create original recipes that, anyway, maintain a strong Peruvian stamp.Its opened from Mondays to Saturdays for lunch and dinner and Sundays only for lunch.

Malecon Cisneros 1470, Miraflores Phone: 4410183 or 4410389

7. Jose Antonio (Peruvian)
http://www.joseantonio.com.pe

Probably the most renowned criollo restaurant, Jose Antonio is a must for food lovers and gourmets. Here you won't find crossover or fusion cuisine, but just the simple traditional dishes that Peruvians have been enjoying for decades.Open from Mondays to Sundays for lunch and dinner.

Bernardo Monteagudo 200, San Isidro Phone : 2640188 or 2643284

8. Las Brujas de Cachiche (Peruvian)
http://www.brujasdecachiche.com.pe

The extensive menu includes all the traditional dishes, some of which are even prepared following the ancient recipes.Mondays to Saturdays for lunch and dinner, Sundays only lunch.

Calle Bolognesi 460 , Mirafloresl , Phone 4466536 or 4471883

9. Manos Morenas (Peruvian)
http://www.manosmorenasperu.com

Cooks and waitresses dressed with colourful head wraps -traditional costume of the Afro Peruvian women that used to work in coastal haciendas- are busy preparing and serving some of the great dishes.

Av. Pedro de Osma 409 , Barranco

10. Huaca Pucllana (Peruvian)

Located within the ruins of the Huaca Pucllana, an archaeological compound built by the early inhabitants of Lima.The cuisine is a reinterpretation of the Peruvian Criollo tradition combined with local flavours and ingredients with contemporary techniques.

General Borgono Cdra 8 s/n, Miraflores Phone 445-4042

11. Wa-Lok (Chinese)

Of the few remaining restaurants that maintains the original mix of Cantonese and Peruvian cuisine, developed in the first half of the 20th century by the Chinese immigrants that established around Capon street, in what now is Chinatown. In fact, the restaurant still keeps its original locale in Jr. Paruro, just in the heart of the Chinese quarter, but has a more accessible locale in Miraflores.

Av.Angamos Oeste 700 , Miraflores Phone:4471329 or 4471314

12. O Mei (Chinese)

Their Pekinese duck is oustanding, prepared according to a century-old recipe originated during the Ching dynasty, and carved at your table. It also offers oriental food from other countries.Prices are on the high side.

Av.Javier Prado Este 5902, La Molina Phone: 4370188

13. Royal (Chinese)

An upper class an excellent Chifa located in San Isidro.

Av.Prescott 231 , San Isidro Phone :4229547

14. Kuo Wha (Chinese)
http://www.kuowha.com

A very traditional Chifa with typical decoration and the individual dinning rooms. It offers a huge buffet.

Av.Paseo de la Republica 5046, Miraflores Phone :4458539

15. Lung Fun (Chinese)
http://www.lungfung.com.pe

A very big and traditional Chinese food restaurant located next to one of the biggest casinos in Lima.

Av.Republica de Panama 3165 , San Isidro Phone : 4418817

16. Astrid & Gaston (International)

Considered one of the best restaurants in South America, founded in 1994 , the restaurant's cuisine was largely French. Gradually, as they rediscovered Peruvian flavours and culinary traditions, the kitchen began to incorporate local dishes and ingredients, moving towards the current Criollo-International concept that characterizes the restaurant today. For a lighter version of this restaurant, you can also try one of the Tanta locales, which are owned by them.

Cantuarias 175, Miraflores Phone : 4441496 or 2425387
ayg@qnet.com.pe

17. La Gloria (International)

It stands out as one of the most sophisticated and convincing International cusines in Lima. It is located in an old mansion in the heart of Miraflores.

Atahualpa 201 , Miraflores Phone : 4455705 or 4466504

18. Rodrigo (International)
http://www.restauranterodrigo.com

Sophisticated and elegant, with an European lounge-style decor that attracts young and adults.

Francisco de Paula Camino 231 , Miraflores Phone : 4460985 or 4464011

19. Rafael (International)

Located in a colonial mansion in the heart of Miraflores, this warm restaurant surprises for the delicate fusion of Peruvian and international dishes.

San Martin 300, Miraflores Phone 242-4149

20. La Rosa Nautica (International)
http://www.larosanautica.com

The view of the ocean through the big windows and the relaxing sound of waves breaking against the piles make you feel as if you were in the midst of the Pacific Ocean. Preferred by many tourist but not by the local fans.

Espigon 4 Circuito de Playas, Miraflores Phone 447-0057/445-0149

Gringo Loco #2
06-15-06, 01:51
Here is a list I came across recently which is a pretty good starting point as a guide for restaurants in Peru. Maybe someone will take me and the twins! (wink wink Polvo!)

From an article on the EconomistYeah, but how much do they cost?

For mongers on a budget, check out the local restaurant in Miraflores that peruvians frequent. It is located a half a block from the Ovalo on Bonilla (take the street next to Burger King) and find it located on your right. For 4 or 5 soles, you can enjoy wonderful Peruvian Criollo food that IMHO is of excellent quality with very large portions. Try the mariscos (seafood) con arroz - just fantastic.

Gringo Loco #2
06-15-06, 01:59

From an article on the EconomistYeah, but how about buffets?

For mongers that love buffets, check out the Hawaiiano Buffet that is located in Miraflores on the west side of the Paseo de la Republica just before you get to Barranco. It is really world class! Despite its name, the food is not Hawaiian, rather it is Peruvian Creole (Criollo). I have going there for years and can remember when it was a small restaurant in Barranco.

Enjoy!

Gringo Loco #2
06-15-06, 02:07

From an article on the EconomistYeah, but where do the local Peruvians eat?

For Cerviche, check out Calle del Toro Rojo in San Borja.

It is where the local Peruvians go to enjoy Cerviche and seafood.

Enjoy!

Member #4351
06-15-06, 18:15
Rosa Toro..runs between J. Prado and Canada, parallel to and a block after Ave. San Luis.

Polvo
06-15-06, 23:49
Maybe someone will take me and the twins! (wink wink Polvo!)
Color me there LB. Name it - and it will not be a buffet!

Polvo

Lima Busy
06-16-06, 19:10
Yeah, but how much do they cost?

For mongers on a budget, check out the local restaurant in Miraflores that peruvians frequent. It is located a half a block from the Ovalo on Bonilla (take the street next to Burger King) and find it located on your right. For 4 or 5 soles, you can enjoy wonderful Peruvian Criollo food that IMHO is of excellent quality with very large portions. Try the mariscos (seafood) con arroz - just fantastic.
I assumed you were a budjet monger which is why I never responded regarding renting my apt! As far as the restuarants I mentioned they are all pretty much in the $50-$60 dollar range for two (exception Rosa Nautica). My post was geared to the upscale monger who is taking his new girlfriend on a date.

Not to sound elitist as I eat "Menu" 5 days a week but in that regard there are far better places around. For instance Miraflores Chifa actually has a 8-9 soles menu "if you ask for it" and happens to be one of the best "Chifa's" around as far as quality. I have a favorite place that I only share with my friends and although I do not care about quantity, like the high end restuarants it is all about Quality,Presentation & Service.

LB

Gringo Loco #2
06-17-06, 00:14
I assumed you were a budjet monger which is why I never responded regarding renting my apt! As far as the restuarants I mentioned they are all pretty much in the $50-$60 dollar range for two (exception Rosa Nautica). My post was geared to the upscale monger who is taking his new girlfriend on a date.

Not to sound elitist as I eat "Menu" 5 days a week but in that regard there are far better places around. For instance Miraflores Chifa actually has a 8-9 soles menu "if you ask for it" and happens to be one of the best "Chifa's" around as far as quality. I have a favorite place that I only share with my friends and although I do not care about quantity, like the high end restuarants it is all about Quality,Presentation & Service.

LBActually, I was just trying to help out other mongers who might be on a budget, especially after paying the recently inflated airfares to Peru. I realize that my favorite restaurants may fill up with gringos now, but still wanted to share.

With respect to your apt, the request for info wasn't for me; I am making housing reservations for some friends who are visiting in August and yes, your ignoring me and labeling me a cheapskate could be interpreted as elitist.

Gringo Loco #2
06-17-06, 00:23
Rosa Toro..runs between J. Prado and Canada, parallel to and a block after Ave. San Luis.Thanks for clarifying the location. Boy, you really do know Lima. And the food? Is this really one the best places to go for cerviche?

Dick Rambone
07-04-06, 19:05
Gringo,

For good ceviche you can also try Restaurant La Mar and Pescados Capitales both on Avenida La Mar.

Member #4351
07-04-06, 22:52
I don´t like sea food so I can´t tell you where the best cebiche is found. The Rosa Toro road is going to be part of a culinary tour route for the cebiche restaurants, so they must be OK.

Screwed Up
07-06-06, 04:03
The best ceviche, I don't know. But this cevicheria is filled to the rim everyday. There are people standing outside lining up every single day. The food is good and the portions are bigger than some other restaurants I tried in the same price range.
Prices anywhere between 12 - 34 soles depending on what you are getting.

Punto Azul,
San Martin 595 (esquina con Alcanfores), Miraflores
Opening hours: 11 AM - 4 PM
3 blocks from the Nido Inn, 5 blocks from Maria Luisa
(3 sol cab ride anywhere within Miraflores)

They also have branches in San Borja, Surco and San Isidro.

As they are always full and I live 1 block away, I call them to prepare it and go pick up my order 15-20 min later. No delivery, yet. However as I live so close they made an exception for me today. Thumbs up.

Lima Busy
09-06-06, 00:44
This is one of David33's favorite places and a definite must for the "meat eating" mongers amongst us.

The other night POLVO took my wife and I out for a great dinner here!
(Polvo it occurred to me, I did not thank you ) I apologize for my impoliteness in front of the entire membership!

My wife (quite the looker) was absolutly floored by the "stunner" on your arm and I confess to being a little celoso about what was in store for you later that evening! Maybe next time I get to meet the "Chinita".

Anyway, we had anticuchos/chiccarone/papa rellena followed by a great strip steak. I have not eaten that much meat in a long time.

It is a great little place and I think we will do our next mongers dinner there.

Stay tuned!
LB

Member #4351
09-06-06, 15:37
L.B., it is one of the top typical Peruvian Cuisine "comida criollo" restaurants and also one of the most expensive. For meat lovers I suggest "La Carreta" in San Isidro, Ricardo Navarrete.

By the way, I have a lunch today in Jose Antonio...coincidence.

Maltrufio
09-21-06, 15:46
...meat lovers....
Check out Rodizio on Angamos by via expresa. The waiters walk around (in gaucho costumes) with giant skewers of chicken, pork, lamb, duck, and beef flank, brisket, and a variety of other cuts. You just have to point at what you want and they whip out machete and hack off a slab. They give you a little puck, red on one side and green on the other, to signal when you’re still gorging (green side up) or when you’re sufficiently stuffed (red side up). Everything was very good and the price was unbelievably cheap (mon through fri lunch = s/ 25, not including beverage). Wine list was acceptable.

I went in for lunch the other day and am still full…. probably going to have to flush 3 times.

Polvo
09-22-06, 01:17
[QUOTE=David_33]L.B., it is one of the top typical Peruvian Cuisine "comida criollo" restaurants and also one of the most expensive. For meat lovers I suggest "La Carreta" in San Isidro, Ricardo Navarrete.[QUOTE]I'll second that. La Carreta has absolutely mouth watering steaks. I was there once and this wizened old 75 year old came in with four 20-year something stunners!! Probably a "senior member". Lucky bastard, and thank Allah for modern medicine!

Polvo

Member #4351
09-22-06, 16:46
...and a great salad bar as well (one of the best I´ve seen in Lima) with a decent roquefort dressing among the choices. I have just had the salad bar a couple of times. Always see politicians, and public personalities there at lunch time.

Polvo
01-18-07, 19:48
Hi all

I was wondering any good Seafood Restaurants in Lima? I love lobster tails, crabs and shrimps.

Hmmm.....Humboldt current just offshore. Nah.

Polvo

Lima Busy
01-18-07, 21:46
Hi all

I was wondering any good Seafood Restaurants in Lima? I love lobster tails, crabs and shrimps.
Those bearded clams they serve at the "Trocadero"!

Might want to do a bit more research there "Chief" as Peru has reputably the third best cusine in the world (most of it seafood)behind France and China.

And, before you ask your next question (The newspapers down here DO NOT have a special section for pregnant or lactating prostitutes) although you might want to ask at the "tourist desk" upon your arrival at Lima airport, just in case.

LB

Maltrufio
03-20-07, 13:56
I tried La Bisteca on Conquistadores for lunch and was impressed. Its a higher end buffet, with pasta bar, paella bar, grilled steaks and other meats, salad bar, a cheese table, and a desert bar. Everything was top notch, good service and nice environment. I'll definitely return.

BKKguru
04-06-07, 02:46
Hi,

1) Does Lima have a Vegetarian restaurant?

2) What about Thai or India food? Is this available in Lima?

Thanks,
~BKKguru

Polvo
04-06-07, 03:59
Hi,

1) Does Lima have a Vegetarian restaurant?

2) What about Thai or India food? Is this available in Lima?

Thanks,
~BKKguru

BKKguru:

How "stringent" a vegetarian are you talking about. No fish, no milk etc.?

I know of one Indian restaurant trying to get going. At the moment I believe they are only doing delivery. The landline phone number (as it is not a chica I hope admin will let this through.) is 791-7752. If it gets deleted PM me. There are some "fusuion" restaurants that are quasi Thai with a mix of Japanese thrown in. The food in Lima, generally, is of a very high standard and certainly up in the top 5 globally.

Suerte!

Polvo

Artisttyp
04-06-07, 10:08
You can always eat tofu and veggies at a "chifa" chinese restaurant.

I found myself missing alot of needed vegatables because most peruvians eat white rice or french fries instead.

Member #4351
04-06-07, 16:00
There are 7 vegetarian places listed in the yellow pages, page 1088.

Vaughnyb1
04-06-07, 16:19
Question guys:

I've read on many websites that lettuce is very hard to clean in third world countries because of the water, and the leading cause of some food poisoning, I'd like some light on this, If you think this is true. Because I will stay away from salads if it is.

Any ideas?

Polvo
04-07-07, 06:57
Question guys:

I've read on many websites that lettuce is very hard to clean in third world countries because of the water, and the leading cause of some food poisoning, I'd like some light on this, If you think this is true. Because I will stay away from salads if it is.

Any ideas?

Vaughnyb1:

If you have not been to Lima on a regular basis I would recommend being very cautious with lettuce. Tomatoes etc. are usually OK.

If you have a problem i.e. you feel your stomach starting to churn immediately take 2 Immodium and then follow the recommended dose. Do not wait for your ass to explode before taking anything!!

Suerte!

Polvo

Vaughnyb1
04-07-07, 16:01
Vaughnyb1:

If you have not been to Lima on a regular basis I would recommend being very cautious with lettuce. Tomatoes etc. are usually OK.

If you have a problem i.e. you feel your stomach starting to churn immediately take 2 Immodium and then follow the recommended dose. Do not wait for your ass to explode before taking anything!!

Suerte!

PolvoYea, im already stocking up on Pepto Bismol tablets in case they dont sell it there. Thanks for the immodium ad tip. Ill get that too.

Vaughn

Lima Busy
04-07-07, 23:18
I tried La Bisteca on Conquistadores for lunch and was impressed. Its a higher end buffet, with pasta bar, paella bar, grilled steaks and other meats, salad bar, a cheese table, and a desert bar. Everything was top notch, good service and nice environment. I'll definitely return.
Maltrufio,
You are the third guy who has told me about this place in the past 2 weeks. I plan to try it for sure next week! Have not seen you running by my house lately?
regards,
LB

Lima Busy
04-07-07, 23:20
Vaughnyb1:

Suerte!

Polvo
I am told you should wash your lettuce etc.. in a capful of Bleach in a gallon of water.

LB

Cayrick
08-25-07, 00:26
Just got back from Lima and the food was out of this world. My word of caution is avoid food with eggs as they can be old and will make you remember what you ate. Some drinks like Pisco Sour contain egg whites so avoid these and if you have a club sandwich somewhere ask to prepare it without eggs as this is a favorite ingredient.

One of my favorite restaurants was La Trattoria 106 Manuel Bonilla. It is just off Parque Kennedy. Locate the Burger King and walk half a block down the sidestreet. Here you will dine on the freshest and best pasta ever. It isn't cheap but you can't beat the food. I also loved some of the red Peruvian wines.

Cayrick
08-25-07, 00:29
Just got back from Lima and the food was out of this world. My word of caution is avoid food with eggs as they can be old and will make you remember what you ate. Some drinks like Pisco Sour contain egg whites so avoid these and if you have a club sandwich somewhere ask to prepare it without eggs as this is a favorite ingredient.

One of my favorite restaurants was La Trattoria 106 Manuel Bonilla. It is just off Parque Kennedy. Locate the Burger King and walk half a block down the sidestreet. Here you will dine on the freshest and best pasta ever. It isn't cheap but you can't beat the food. I also loved some of the red Peruvian wines.

If you love seafood and don't mind splurging try La Rosa Nautica. It is right on the Pacific and is very upmarket. Reserve ahead so that you can have a window table.

Lima Busy
08-27-07, 23:19
Vaughnyb1:

Suerte!

Polvo
This report reminded me of the folks that are afraid to eat the salad, use ice cubes etc. Cafe Zeta has a reverse osmosis water system and replaces its filters regularly, so enjoy the fruit salad and the Ceasar salad, but the eggs can/will still cause the occasional explosion.
LB

Member #3437
08-28-07, 15:51
This report reminded me of the folks that are afraid to eat the salad, use ice cubes etc. Cafe Zeta has a reverse osmosis water system and replaces its filters regularly, so enjoy the fruit salad and the Ceasar salad, but the eggs can/will still cause the occasional explosion.
LB

Hey Lima Busy. You may remember me from January. My name is Greg, and I was with my tall bald friend Mike.

Anyway, I got sick twice in Lima. Both times it took about two days to clear. Typical travelers diarreah, cured only by the magical pills you get at the pharmacy for about 2 bucks. The first time I was bed ridden for an entire day with fever.

The good news is in Lima, it passes quick, unlike Mexico where the only cure is a bullet in the temple.

Member #3437
08-28-07, 15:52

If you love seafood and don't mind splurging try La Rosa Nautica. It is right on the Pacific and is very upmarket. Reserve ahead so that you can have a window table.

La Rosa Nautica is one of the coolest restaruants in the world, especially when the waves are high. You sit there eating in a 4 star seafood rest with waves rolling under the restaraunt. Way cool..but pricey for the typical monger on a budget. I will go back there for sure.

Member #3437
08-28-07, 15:57
8. Las Brujas de Cachiche (Peruvian)
http://www.brujasdecachiche.com.pe

The extensive menu includes all the traditional dishes, some of which are even prepared following the ancient recipes.Mondays to Saturdays for lunch and dinner, Sundays only lunch.

This is another expensive restaraunt, but it is within walking distance of Park Kennedy (15 mintues if you don't get lost) and has really good ceviche. I went there for afternoon dinner and enjoyed it.

Johan007
08-30-07, 15:51
Dude,

did ye try the many chifa joints in Lima??? I mean on every fucking corner you have a chifa!!

I mean these joints have good food....CHEAP....and I like it.

I never got sick from eating there in anyway.....however in some peruvian joints i got the the shits after i was finished:-(

For about 4-5 USD you are FULL and set for further action;-)

Damn...I love them places....!

Anyways....I also love Peruana food...it's fuking Outstanding!!!:-)

SO much better then that crap they serve in Brasil....or on the DR.

Johan

Member #3437
08-30-07, 16:30
Dude,

did ye try the many chifa joints in Lima??? I mean on every fucking corner you have a chifa!!

I mean these joints have good food....CHEAP....and I like it.

I never got sick from eating there in anyway.....however in some peruvian joints i got the the shits after i was finished:-(

For about 4-5 USD you are FULL and set for further action;-)

Damn...I love them places....!

Anyways....I also love Peruana food...it's fuking Outstanding!!!:-)

Johan

Certainly. I love the Peruvian food, but something in Lima nailed me twice for two days at a time. First when getting there,and second when getting back from the jungle. The first time I took medicine from the pharmacy, then went to Iquitos and it carried over until I got up the amazon, and my guide cut some bark off some tree, made tea out of it, and the problem went away almost immediately. Second time was on my return to lima, but I was then armed with with medicine from the pharmacy and preempted the worst of it.

I fucking love the food there also. Can't wait to get back in a week or so.

Member #3437
08-30-07, 16:32

Johan

The Dr is rice and beans, and bad soup and anorexic chickens. The DR does have excellent seafood, but the NY and Atlanta sex tourist invasion of the last 4 years of so have shot the prices up so high, you might as well go to Tampa and eat. Plus, Peruvian women, like Peruvian food, is miles above anything the DR has to offer.

Artisttyp
09-18-07, 05:35
Id never eat at a mercado but today on my way to the trocadero I stopped at mercado minka which is an american type open air shopping mall on ave argentina but with a food market attached to it. It was very clean and decided to eat at a vegetarian restaurant. The food was fantastic and in abundance . I had a creole soup loaded with fresh vegetables and strips of tofu prepared like beef strogonoff. All for 15 soles.

A taxi from mercado minka to the trocadero is 4 soles so its a great place to make a pit stop. Do not go to the fast food court. Look for the food market.

El mordisco ave. du petit thouars 2641 lince. I stumbled upon this place while going nuts looking for a bathroom. I walked out of the bathroom and saw all this great looking seafood so I stayed. I even saw a few gringos. You will not be disappointed. Tonight I went back and ate rissoto rice with shrimp on top for $12 US. It would have been a $25 plate in the US.

Artisttyp
09-18-07, 05:38
Id never eat at a mercado but today on my way to the trocadero I stopped at mercado minka which is an american type open air shopping mall on ave argentina but with a food market attached to it. It was very clean and decided to eat at a vegetarian restaurant. The food was fantastic and in abundance . I had a creole soup loaded with fresh vegetables and strips of tofu prepared like beef strogonoff. All for 15 soles.

A taxi from mercado minka to the trocadero is 4 soles so its a great place to make a pit stop. Do not go to the fast food court. Look for the food market.

El mordisco ave. du petit thouars 2641 lince. I stumbled upon this place while going nuts looking for a bathroom. I walked out of the bathroom and saw all this great looking seafood so I stayed. I even saw a few gringos. You will not be disappointed. Tonight I went back and ate rissoto rice with shrimp on top for $12 US. It would have been a $25 plate in the US.

www.elmordisco.com.pe

Artisttyp
09-23-07, 21:11
Ive heard alot about the sunday outdoor food fair in barrancos parque central so I decided to go today. There are quite a few stands that sell different types of local dishes etc.
You buy pre paid tickets at one booth then you use the credit and pick up your food at the different booths. It looked kind of gross to be honest. I saw groups of tourists eating there and thinking this was "included" in their $100 lima city tour.
I said no and starting to exit the park when I noticed a yellow mansion that doubled as a restaurant. The place is called " Rustica" located at parque municipal number 107 frente la municipalidad de barranco. Tel 247 -9385.
Every day Rustica serves a criolla buffet for 24.90 s which includes tax between 12:30 and 4:00pm.
I didnt expect to go in because I saw guys with suits outside so I just asked to look. I wound up staying and ate three plates of food. They have an a la carte menu as well but skip it. The food is really fresh and its all there for you. Try all the dishes you havent tried or try it all at once. During my lunch some afro peruvian music (festejos) came on and the waitress did a little dance on the bar/stage.
The restaurant is very pretty. It is like eating in a grand ballroom of some colonial mansion.
The buffet and two drinks plus tip was 36 soles....great deal.

Miraflores Apt
10-23-07, 17:20
As I just posted about the Aparthotel San Martin in the other thread, I thought I would post about a well known secret.

Punto Azul is a great mid priced cebicheria across the street from the hotel that gets throngs of Peruvian office workers waiting outside at Lunch. They have several locations around Lima so if you are not based in Miraflores, keep a eye out for one.

Miraflores Apt
10-30-07, 01:12
I've heard alot about the Sunday outdoor food fair in barrancos parque central so I decided to go today. There are quite a few stands that sell different types of local dishes etc.

You buy pre paid tickets at one booth then you use the credit and pick up your food at the different booths. It looked kind of gross to be honest. I saw groups of tourists eating there and thinking this was "included" in their $100 Lima city tour.

I said no and starting to exit the park when I noticed a yellow mansion that doubled as a restaurant. The place is called " Rustica" located at parque municipal number 107 frente la municipalidad de barranco. Tel 247.9385.

Every day Rustica serves a criolla buffet for 24. 90 s which includes tax between 12:30 and 4:00pm.

I didn't expect to go in because I saw guys with suits outside so I just asked to look. I wound up staying and ate three plates of food. They have an a la carte menu as well but skip it. The food is really fresh and its all there for you. Try all the dishes you havent tried or try it all at once. During my lunch some afro peruvian music (festejos) came on and the waitress did a little dance on the bar/stage.

The restaurant is very pretty. It is like eating in a grand ballroom of some colonial mansion.

The buffet and two drinks plus tip was 36 soles. Great deal. Rustica is a chain (Calle las Pizzas for example)of ¨comida rapida¨around Lima and these are not reputable people and does not represent our cuisine in a very good way. If you do not want to eat at the buffet outdoors, continue walking one block on your right there is a indoor buffet which will feed the whole family for S/. 36 and after lunch be sure to walk over to ¨puente suspires¨ with your date.

Straddler
11-17-07, 18:27
While there are lots of options in this city, I've tried most of them in Miraflores and here's the report:

Govinda's, located in the 600 block of Schell. Though a krishna place, it has tasty, full meals. Always came out to less than $5 for the meal, plus it's a very nice, open place. Closes 8pm (except 4pm on Sat & Sun).

Rest. El Vegetariano, 285 Cantuarias, 445-6503. Again, tied up there with Govinda's as the best here. They have these huge 'fake meat' steak-like things made from wheat gluten (which has like 40-50 grms. Protein! ), also pizzas, fresh juice. Closes 8 pm.

Pinga
01-08-08, 17:45
The Dr is rice and beans, and bad soup and anorexic chickens. The DR does have excellent seafood, but the NY and Atlanta sex tourist invasion of the last 4 years of so have shot the prices up so high, you might as well go to Tampa and eat. Plus, Peruvian women, like Peruvian food, is miles above anything the DR has to offer.
Totally agree with you dude.

Crypton
01-08-08, 19:56
While there are lots of options in this city, I've tried most of them in Miraflores and here's the report:

Govinda's, located in the 600 block of Schell. Though a krishna place, it has tasty, full meals. Always came out to less than $5 for the meal, plus it's a very nice, open place. Closes 8pm (except 4pm on Sat & Sun).

Rest. El Vegetariano, 285 Cantuarias, 445-6503. Again, tied up there with Govinda's as the best here. They have these huge 'fake meat' steak-like things made from wheat gluten (which has like 40-50 grms. Protein! ), also pizzas, fresh juice. Closes 8 pm.

Being a vegetarian, I had to look for places in Lima too. I went to Govindas also, but did not like the food (too bland for me!). One of the best bets in my opinion are lebanese restaurants - they always have falafel sandwiches and pita and hummus. There is on Schell street and also near Starbucks near Parque Kennedy.

Artisttyp
01-08-08, 20:22
Rustica is a chain (Calle las Pizzas for example)of ¨comida rapida¨around Lima and these are not reputable people and does not represent our cuisine in a very good way. If you do not want to eat at the buffet outdoors, continue walking one block on your right there is a indoor buffet which will feed the whole family for S/. 36 and after lunch be sure to walk over to ¨puente suspires¨ with your date.

Im not peruvian but I totally disagree with you. My experience with rustica in barranco was superb. I went back twice and enjoyed the local dishes more there than anyplace else that I ate.

I did see a rustica located in los olivos but had my doubts about that one.

The one in barranco is located inside a huge yellow mansion. It was perfect. Again I went on a sunday both times so maybe they turn it up a notch on the weekends.

Polvo
01-08-08, 20:49
..... The one in barranco is located inside a huge yellow mansion. It was perfect. Again I went on a sunday both times so maybe they turn it up a notch on the weekends......

And I know someone who has munched on the Chefs (f).....

Suerte!

Polvo

Jaimito Cartero
12-07-08, 04:22
Well, this restaurant forum is dead. I was looking somewhere special to try out earlier this week, and had read a couple of references to La Bistecca.

I Googled them, and found their website, http://www.labisteccalima.com, which gave me their address. It's a pretty short taxi ride from Miraflores. I paid 7 soles going, and 5 soles coming back.

This is a buffet place, somewhat similar to some of my favorites in Buenos Aires. The pricing is higher, of course. On a Thursday, I paid 45/S plus 4.5/S cubierto. I got a bottled water for 5.5/S.

Dinner is supposed to be 5 soles more, and if I understood right, Sunday is 10 soles more. They said they had the pricing on the website, but I didn't see it.

The food area is rather compact with all the 6 or 7 cook to order stations contiguous to each other, with sliced meat, salads, sides and desserts in the same area.

You have a Maki, Wok, Pizza, Pasta, Grilled Meat, and Carving stations. If you have something cooked to order, they'll give you a stand up number and bring it to your table. I tried a little bit of most stuff, and found it of good quality. The bife de lomo that I tried was a bit dried out, and not very tender. All other stuff was better, though.

I got a nice personal pizza, with super thin crust, and they brought me grated Parmesan and grated red chili pepper with no problem. I also had some Langostine ravioli, sushi sampler, carved pork roast and a number of other things.

The only problem I ran into, is that for dessert, you either pick one off the chalkboard, *or* get whatever you want from the dessert table, plus they'll bring you a scoop of ice cream. They either didn't tell me, or I didn't understand about the either/or. They have some nice desserts listed, but instead I got some standard fare, plus got to dip some fruit in their chocolate fountain.

The restaurant closes for lunch at about 4pm. It's just off the intersection of Conqustadores and Avenue Pardo y Aliaga. Phone 421-7555.

Kuttappan
12-07-08, 04:28
Well, this restaurant forum is dead. I was looking somewhere special to try out earlier this week, and had read a couple of references to La Bistecca.

Thank you JC. I am packing my bags to Peru, this really helps.

Member #4351
12-07-08, 16:25
For Buffet lovers, check out the Blue Moon in Lince on Sat. or Sun. Costs around the same as the place Jaimito mentioned. Focus on Italian cuisine. Good place to bring a chica...great ambience. I like to get there around 12:45 to be one of the first. Went yesterday with a friend and ate too much. The address is Pumacahua 2520, Lince.

Jaimito Cartero
12-12-08, 06:52
David and I went to Blue Moon a couple of days ago, and while I always thought food in Lima was okay, I'd never found a place that really knocked my socks off.

This is a medium sized Italian place, that puts on a great lunch buffet spread, Tues-Sun 1pm-5pm. Now you can show up a bit early, say 12:30pm, and get all the great food early too.

Price is 38s, plus 5/s cubierto per person. 45/s on weekends.

This place has great service. You finish a plate, and they're there to take it away. Also when you finish putting your hot items on your plate, they pop it in the oven quickly, to make sure it's perfect, and bring it to your table. The restaurant has the biggest non-commercial display of alcohol bottles in South America too.

Restaurant: Blue Moon
Address: Pumacahua 2520, Lince
Lima - Peru - South America
Phone: +51 (1) 470 1631
Opening hours 12:00 to 23:00

The day we went, they had a number of cebiches, plus many great pastas, meats, and other sides. They had duck, rabbit, pheasant, deer, quail plus many great pork and beef dishes.

Of the 40 or so dishes they had, I tried a little of about 20 of them. I didn't have a single item that I wouldn't go back for seconds. That really says something.

The desserts are also great. Chocolate covered cherries and pears, bread pudding, pies, and so many other things. Everything totally delicious.

If I had eaten any more, I would have exploded like that guy in the Monty Python movie! The bill was reasonable at about 100 soles, with 4 or 5 non-alcoholic drinks added in.

This is, hands down, the best Italian style buffet I've ever eaten at! Hopefully I'll go back this Saturday, for another orgasm, er, meal.

http://flashificator.com/1/BlueMoon/

Vaughnyb1
12-12-08, 23:46
I was looking somewhere special to try out earlier this week, and had read a couple of references to La Bistecca.

I Googled them, and found their website, http://www.labisteccalima.com, which gave me their address. It's a pretty short taxi ride from Miraflores. I paid 7 soles going, and 5 soles coming back.

This is a buffet place, somewhat similar to some of my favorites in Buenos Aires. The pricing is higher, of course. On a Thursday, I paid 45/S plus 4.5/S cubierto. I got a bottled water for 5.5/S.I agree La Bistecka is the shiznit! Good food. Thaks Jaimito "Blue Moon Reest" is next on my list

Vaughnyb1
12-13-08, 00:11
Como Agua Para Chocolate - Mexican Foodl

The address is 108 Pancho Fierro, San Isidro off Ave. Conquistadores

Me and mi novia went to this restaraunt recently. For quite some time Ive been looking for an authentic mexican restaraun and found it!

I had the tacos which are available 3 at a time. I had tacos of lomo fino or "steak", she had a series of appettizers. Alll was pretty good but I always judge a good mexican restaurant by its Margaritas and these were outstanding and served in a big glass! I was buzzed after one glass.

Also the Pico de Gallo was great! The chipolte is hot as hell and the salsa is made from scratch.

Run to the border!

vaughnyb

HarryFlashman
12-13-08, 13:46
I have seen a few reports about diarrhea posted here. While it is not a restaurant it is worthwhile dealing with the literal "fallout" from culinary adventures.

First if it just a change of scene climate etc, don't take anything except plenty of liquids avoid citrus drinks/fruits and fatty foods.

If it is something more unpleasant I. E. Does not clear after a couple of days and has a high frequency or basically you are pissing water out of your arse then you need the big guns.

First follow the advice above and secondly don't take Imodium or whatever other name it goes under (Loperamide) unless you absolutely have to (for instance because you have a 30 hour bus journey or whatever). Why not, well your body is trying to rid itself of whatever toxins and bacteria you have in your gut and sticking a cork in your arse and letting everything fester is probably not the best idea. Ok so Imodium is not a cork but basically it stops peristalsis (how your gut moves it's contents).

You may want to take Diaoralyte, as it helps replace lost salts. It comes in a sachet and mix it together with water. Not from the tap! They had a typhoid outbreak a few years back and you might end up even worse. I however hate Diaoralyte and just take water.

Right now the magic bullet: Ciprofloxacin. You should be able to find hem in any pharmacy. Personally I never travel without them and get them from my doctor at home. It comes in 500mg tablets, either take 1/2 or a whole one 2 times a day for a couple days. In fact some people will be cured with just one dose. Avoid milk products when you take it, and most importantly you are self medicating; if you have had previous allergic reactions you might want to think twice.

I am not your doctor it is up to you if you want to do this, though 99% of people will have no adverse effects from Cipro.

Harry

Smokers Rule
12-13-08, 20:26
Interesting. There is a restaurant called Como Agua Para Chocolate in Santiago. Themed off of the book by Esquivel. Does anyone know if this is a chain? I really liked the restaurant in Santiago...especially the tres leches cake.

Como Agua Para Chocolate - Mexican Foodl

The address is 108 Pancho Fierro, San Isidro off Ave. Conquistadores

Me and mi novia went to this restaraunt recently. For quite some time Ive been looking for an authentic mexican restaraun and found it!

I had the tacos which are available 3 at a time. I had tacos of lomo fino or "steak", she had a series of appettizers. Alll was pretty good but I always judge a good mexican restaurant by its Margaritas and these were outstanding and served in a big glass! I was buzzed after one glass.

Also the Pico de Gallo was great! The chipolte is hot as hell and the salsa is made from scratch.

Run to the border!

vaughnyb

Jaimito Cartero
12-14-08, 05:19
For my last food related orgy, before I leave, I decided to hit the weekend Blue Moon buffet. I went to the back this time, and found a bunch more rooms that I hadn't seen. I guess that's where you can bring your secretary to on weekdays and make out without anyone seeing you! :)

Great service, and about 85% of the food was the same. I personally didn't see much more food than during the week, but it was all still good. I ate a lot of things I normally don't, and was surprised at how much I liked them.

I wanted to take the whole container of chocolate dipped cherries home with me!

Lunch for one, with two waters. 59 soles. I had a nice long 2 1/2 hour lunch, and got to admire a couple of the waitresses too.

Menteng
03-02-09, 00:35
I understand that there a lot of Chinese restaurants in Lima. Can you mention one or more restaurants where they serve Dim Sum? Thanks.

Lima Busy
03-02-09, 01:43
I understand that there a lot of Chinese restaurants in Lima. Can you mention one or more restaurants where they serve Dim Sum? Thanks.
There used to be a place in Larco Mar that did dim sum and remarkably that was there name as well. They have since changed there name and I do not know if they still do it. Chinese is called "Chifa" here and it is Cantonese style with Peruvian ingredients.

Member #4351
03-02-09, 15:43
Go to Calle Capon in the center of Lima. This is the Lima "China town".

Pinga
03-03-09, 08:00
I was a bit disappointed with chinatown as it is quite small and its restaurants have the same menu without the variety that you find in the states at the bigger chinatowns. Also I only saw few chinese with maybe one out of six persons at these establishments. Some of my friends swear by "chifa" but I like the chinese cuisine back here in NY better.

Nap Time
03-03-09, 08:32
This was my favorite restaurant in Lima. Period. Criollo cuisine, traditional dishes taken to a new level. Open until 5pm, closed Mondays. If you go on Saturday, order the Tacu Tacu con Lomo al Jugo. Main dishes were 20 to 32 Soles. Chef Teresa Izquierdo Gonzales is a protege of Gaston, but IMHO, she kicks butt.

El Rincón que no Conoces, Bernardo Alcedo 363, Alt. Cdra. 20 de Petit Thouars, Lince. Tel. 471-2171

Member #4351
03-03-09, 15:15
IMHO, best Oriental restaurant in Peru is called O Mei, on J. Prado and Av. La Molina. (http://www.omeiperu.com/) They bring in a chef from Beijing, changing every two years. Embassy people and bigwigs eat there. Also Chinese embassy people sometimes. Very nice, great service! Plenty of dim sum type starters. Fairly expensive by Peru standards. Figure on about $30 per person depending on what you order. I go there often since it is near my office. If your chica likes oriental food, take her there; she´ll be impressed.

Bikeryzfr6
03-06-09, 00:01
Went to El Mordisco with a few local guys from the office, food was great and quite cheap. We ordered what they call "fuentes" which is a dish to share (personal, medium or large). Personal should be enough for two people.

There were 6 of us and they ordered two personal "fuentes" with jalea (deep fried sea food) and Rissoto de Mar (Sea food Rice) and one "medium size" with mixed chebiche. This was more than enough for 6 people and it was delicious. IMO same quality than in more expensive places like "segundo muelle" in san isidro or "la mar" in miraflores.

I paid 30 S. /

El Mordisco is placed in Av Petit Thouars after Javier Prado (going from west to east).

As a bonus, the waitresses wear quite sexy miniskirts and white blouses. Our waitress was just lovely, slim, pretty face, soft skin, nice legs. I would have asked her out but being with guys from office I decided against it. She did give me some looks and when collecting the dishes came really close to me and rubbed her sexy and naked legs against my arms and shoulder. I wonder if that mean something or it was just an accident.

Biker

EDITOR'S NOTE: I would suggest that the author or another Forum Member consider posting a link to this report in the Reports of Distinction thread. Please Click Here (http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/announcement-reportsofdistinction.php?) for more information.

Menteng
03-07-09, 17:26
Maybe not like all of you ISG members, I visit Lima for the food. Anything else is an extra-gastronomical (extra as in extra-marital) activity. I mean, I live in Medellin and my original home-turf is Jakarta, so maybe I´m a little spoiled with mongering.

My main search is for good, original Chinese food. Those who have been looking for good Chinese food in Medellin, will understand my craving.

Having RTFF and based on PM´s I have received, I decided to visit Chinatown on Calle(?) Capon. From the inside of the taxi it looked very promising there and for a moment I even thought I smelled the odour of the infamous durian coming from Market Capon. As the traffic was jammed, I decided to get out there of the taxi and see if my nose was correct. Alas, no durian, nor other exotic fruit. Very, very different compared to similar "markets" in London.

After this disappointment I took a look at maybe every Chinese restaurant, chifa, before deciding where to sit down and eat. I saw very simple eateries to expensive looking ones. From the looks, I decided to enter Wa Lok. The samples of dim-sum, exposed on a girating tray, were mouth-watering.

I ordered four dim sum dishes and a bowl of noodles soup with wonton. By the way, I consider it´s dim sum as a benchmark for the restaurant I visit. If it´s good, I´ll return for the main dishes.
What a disappointment! There was no difference in taste between the dishes containing meat and those containing shrimps. It was all flat. Even the taste of the steamed ribs had to distinguised itself by the slices of peppers on top of them. Without finishing the dishes, I left Wa Lok, hoping for the better.

The next day I was to have lunch with David33. He knows about my preferences and we agreed to meet at O´Mei, the Chinese restaurant he recommended a few postings before (look for the link there). We agreed to meet at 12.45.

I paid ten soles from Parque Kennedy to get there and the restaurant was still empty at 12.30 pm. As David has not arrived, I had the chance to survey the interior. It is a spacious restaurant with tastefull decorations. As a movie-buff I especially liked the James Dean and Marilyn Monroe pictures for the gent´s and the ladies´ rooms.

David arrived on time and in the meantime other guests have started to fill the restaurant. David choosed a table, overlooking the rest of the establishment. Soon the waiter arrived with the refreshing towels, followed by the "gueules": pickles and caramelized nuts with sesame seeds.

We ordered two starters, wo tip and spicy won ton. The wo tip tasted excellent and was as it is supposed to be: still with broth inside. That means that you have to put the whole wo tip inside your mouth and close it before you chew, otherwise the table, or worse, your company will be sprayed.
The spicy won ton was won ton, covered with a spicy sauce. I think the sauce has a peanut or cashew nut base. It also tasted very good, though I liked it to be more spicy.

After we finished the starters, the lady owner came to greet David and I had a little conversation with her about the food, especially the Peking duck. It turned out, that it is not served like I know it. You start with the skin wrapped in a pancake. Then a broth of the duck and after that the meat. At O´Mei it will be served in two courses. I think the broth is skipped.

As the maincourse David ordered a chicken dish and I ordered an intriguing dish: it was supposed to benefit to ones health and contains various vegetables with aubergine as the main component. Again, the dishes were excellent. Though I don´t like chicken, I tried the sauce of David´s dish and it was delicious.

When we left, the restaurant was packed. On the parking place a variety of posh cars: from SUV Porshes to an Audi GT. We had some sight-seeing and when I headed back to ML, I was a happy guy. At last a meal I really enjoyed and not a meal "solo para quitar mi hambre".

Thanks David!

Menteng
03-10-09, 17:28
I love fresh seafood. A couple of months ago I travelled to Cartagena from Medellin, only to have fresh seafood. I mentioned this to David33 and he suggested I should try LA MAR, at Avenida La Mar, (Also) owned by the famous Peruvian chef Gaston.

I went there early to make sure that I´ll get a decent table. Seeing that I was alone, the recepcionist tried to seat me at the bar. But as I like space when eating, I refused and was led to a table.

La Mar is a spacious restaurant and the clientele is, I would say, the better situated (except for me). The majority of the males wore jackets and the ladies looked like the succesful kind of business women.

As I don´t know the dishes, I asked one of the waiters to assist me. After his explanation I decided to have ceviche con langostinos as a starter and a langosta as my main dish. Funny though, that like in Colombia and Indonesia, in La Mar they don´t serve lobster. (Anybody out there who knows where to get that in Lima?)

I don´t know much about ceviche, but the one that was served was excellent. The fish has not lost it´s texture and the vinagraite was good, not too sour. The langosta was a disappointment. Although it was cheap, 89 soles for an 800 grams langosta, it did not have the sweet taste of fresh langosta meat. It was too salty and the taste of the herbs that were used, were too dominant. And I think that it wasn´t necessary to add eggyolk as a topping.

The creme brulee on top of a bed of chicha was excellent and so was the espresso.

I left La Mar with a little disappointment though and decided to try a restaurant, suggested by Artistyp.

Member #4351
03-10-09, 17:59
That´s because you went on a weekday when there were a bunch of office people there. On a weekend you would have seen more shorts and bluejeans.

Menteng
03-10-09, 18:00
Two days after visiting La Mar, I went to have lunch at a restaurant Artisttyp recommended. He wrote down: Los Mariscos at Avenida Petit Thouars and Calle 26. I stopped a bus in front of one of the souvenirshops at Av. Petit Thouars and showed the ticketseller the address. He said that it has to be Cuadra 26 instead of Calle 26.

I got of the bus on the corner of Cuadra 26 and found out that there were two restaurants facing each other on the corner. One, Kuki (?) was closed and the other one was not named Los Mariscos. I asked some people over there if they happened to know where Los Mariscos was located and they said that there was no restaurant with that name in the neighbourhood. The only one which sounded like Los Mariscos was EL MORDISCO, the one at the opposite of Kuki.

So I went there and the waitresses were exactly like Bikeryzfr6 described. The tables and chairs were less classy than those of La Mar, but you´ll hardly notice it, being busy watching the waitresses (and hoping they will bend over deep enough).

As I wasn´t very hungry, I only ordered a maindish: fried sole with salsa de mariscos for 39 soles. The sauce was good, though the mariscos were tough to chew on. Though the sole was covered with the sauce, it still had it´s original flavour. Thanks for being fried.

Conclusion: the taste of the dish was good enough, but for the price and ambiance La Mar would be a better choice.

Jaimito Cartero
03-10-09, 19:51
David usually has pretty good recommendations, foodwise, and chicawise. I know I enjoyed his recommendations when I was in town a few months back.

Art often has some serious errors in his reports. I take directions and so forth, with a big grain of salt. I know I'll try to take a picture of the business, as well as a corner street sign when I'm in an area that I'm not familiar with.

Lima Busy
03-10-09, 22:30
La Mar is good if you wish to be "seen" but anybody will tell you Pescado's Capitales down the block is the "Gold Standard" right now!

Artisttyp
03-11-09, 00:49
[QUOTE=Jaimito Cartero]David usually has pretty good recommendations, foodwise, and chicawise. I know I enjoyed his recommendations when I was in town a few months back.

Art often has some serious errors in his reports. I take directions and so forth, with a big grain of salt. I know I'll try to take a picture of the business, as well as a corner street sign when I'm in an area that I'm not familiar with.[/QUOTE

Wrong. I was the one who first posted it and gave the correct link to their website. Look down a few posts and you will notice I posted the correct info.

I havent been here in a few months and I forgot the exact name.

If you think anything else Ive written has serious flaws then lets straighten it out. I expect the same from other members.

By the way yes it is possible to date a receptionist at the maria luisa. Remember the girl you wanted to pay $100 for when we met in lima? Her name starts with an "F" . I hooked up with her but it wasnt worth it. Even for free.

Otherwise my info is right on the money.

Thank You!

Jaimito Cartero
03-11-09, 01:09
Otherwise my info is right on the money.

I have you tell me that the time I was visiting Ecuador, was a horrible time to go. You've had other times that you later said that your info was off that you had posted. I'm not trying to get into a pissing match, but I would not rate you at 100% on your reports. <shrug>

Artisttyp
03-11-09, 03:18
I have you tell me that the time I was visiting Ecuador, was a horrible time to go. You've had other times that you later said that your info was off that you had posted. I'm not trying to get into a pissing match, but I would not rate you at 100% on your reports. <shrug>

I dont remember you ever asking me about ecuador. Who needs to ask anything about ecuador when if you *RTFF you will see tung's list has everything you need to know.

I dont care what you rate me. Ever since you met me as a newbie you have been extremely rude responding to my reports. You follow my tail from forum to forum. Ive never commented on it until now. It is rather annoying but I disregard it as a personal issue or low self esteem. Whatever comes first.

I have had amazing experiences thanks to isg and my only objective is to give back. If I make a mistake I apologize but I do put alot of heart into my reports. Commenting that my reports are not worthy is only doing a dis-service to other members. I stay here for 3 weeks to a month at a time. I might know a little something. I am not a lima genius but I continue to have numerous experiences here that might be share worthy.

First nibu now you. You bore me.

I dont want a flame war either. It is a waste of precious bandwith. I have nothing more to say.

Thanks Again.

Menteng
03-11-09, 15:40
Let me start with apologizing to Artisttyp. I didn't mean to cause the discussion between you and Jaimito. I just made a truthful report of that afternoon.
And guys, I have met both of you and my impression is that both of you are too nice to do that.

Keep'um cummin'!

Artisttyp
03-11-09, 16:52
Let me start with apologizing to Artisttyp. I didn't mean to cause the discussion between you and Jaimito. I just made a truthful report of that afternoon.
And guys, I have met both of you and my impression is that both of you are too nice to do that.

Keep'um cummin'!

No need to apologize. I gave you the wrong name but the right address. I think jamito saw it as another opportunity. I have now idea why. I only tried to be friendly with him.

He gives out good information so I cant really complain. My concern if for the forum and all its members. The situation is "mute" as far as I am concerned.

Artisttyp
03-12-09, 18:11
I am into vegetarian food and I find "sempes" in lince to be a very good place
to eat. Main entrees will cost you around 10 or 12 soles. I took a date here yesterday and was very impressed with the food.

Sempes
Tomas Guido No 168 Lince
Tel 470-1059

Bandy
08-14-09, 18:17
On Tuesday, I treated a Peruvian couple to dinner. I asked my friend to pick out a nice restaurant and he chose:

Bistro in Los Delfines, Hotel and Casino, San Isidro, 215-9614.

When you enter the lobby, the Bistro is on the ground floor. The uniqueness of this place, apart from great ambience and food, is live dolphins in a pool separated by glass partition with the restaurant. We had a poolside table enriching our overall experience.

We had Parilla Marina (not in the menu, so ask for it separately; great dish)and Ceviche as appetizer. For the main dish my friend and I had Staffed Sole in oyster sauce with oriental vegetable (great dish). His wife took Lomo Saltado. Couple of bottles of Peruvian wine. Total bill, a little expensive, was 542 Soles.

Bandy

Bandy
08-14-09, 18:24
On Wednesday night, my lady friend and I went to dine in this restaurant. It was highly recommended by my Peruvian friend who made the reservation.

COSTANERA 700
Av.Del Ejercito 421, Miraflores
421-7508/ 421-4635

The place is not that large, so you should make a reservation. However, it is a great place to take your girlfriend for a candlelight dinner. The ambience is incredible. We had Ceviche Classico, Lomo Saltado and Vegetable Tempura with a bottle of wine. The bill was very modest, around 220 Soles. The food was great tasting, however, the serving amount was moderate. We were not that hungry (mostly busy talking), so that was enough for us.

Bandy

Love Lima123
08-25-09, 19:27
I was at Costa Verde for lunch on Aug 21 at about 1 PM.

As usual, some Japanese tourists and some (old) local people.

However, unlike my previous experiences (two years ago) the food was below average and the dining hall got much smaller. Am quite disappointed. Overall, a depressing feelings.

Lunch at Tanta was good and dinner at Astrid & Gastón was also good.

I especially enjoyed the Peruvian interpretation of Sashimi as an appetizer at Astrid & Gastón. Also the wine and desert selections were good.

I also recommend Jose Antonio for dinner. Always a safe bet.

Brian

Member #4351
08-25-09, 23:17
Jose Antonio, great lunch buffet with typical Peruvian Comida Criolla. That and Blue Moon (reviewed previously by Jaimito Cartero) for those with large midday appetites.

Bigmic
08-29-09, 18:21
Don't miss this well known dining spot out on the pier in Miraflores. The setting is spectacular! A romantic place to take a date and dine above the rolling Pacific waves. A high end looking place with excellent service and not that pricey as suggested by others. Works out to about $25-$30 pp usd all inclusive. Scallop appetizer served half shell in a hot sweet yellowish curry like sauce was the single best dish of the week sampling the Lima restaurant scene which is saying something. Sea Bass was A-1 and prepared and presented perfectly, as was the fresh bread selection served tableside. Homemade fruit sorbet excellent.

Bigmic
08-29-09, 18:41
Visited this well regarded Miraflores Seafood joint based mainly on the numbers of positive 'official' reviews. The name is a cute play on words based on the one letter difference between the Spanish words for fish and sins (minus the 's'). I came away somewhat disappointed though the fresh sole was tasty and well prepared and the Pisco sour was the best of the entire trip. Overall the place tried way too hard to be trendy and cutting edge which didn't quite work, other than the free entertainment of watching the well put together hostess in tight slacks seat the other patrons. An odd example was the hot toasted corn served in lieu of bread. Indeed bread was not available at all which was a surprise as latinos seem to eat bread with just about everything. On the pricey side and the service was a little snooty. OK with quality ingredients but would not repeat.

Bigmic
08-29-09, 19:00
At the suggestion of David33 took an 7 soles cab ride from Miraflores to BLUE MOON in Linces. One of the great deals on the planet for the combination of price, selection and quality. Hard to imagine anyone not finding something to like or walking away hungry. I see no need to repeat the details set forth previously other than to echo the accolades about this place where the upscale buffet costs less than $15 usd pp. From the ceviche to the pasta to the meats, including osso bucco, to the desserts and fresh local fruits the choices are too many for one visit. Had to go back before I left and still didn't get to try all the dishes that interested me. A not to be missed feast to overload the senses. The perfect complement to the quest to sate all appetites.

Bigmic
08-29-09, 19:24
After a faster than expected check in for my late nite return flight realized I'd missed dinner opting instead for a more relaxing option to spend my last hours with a favorita before the airport sedan arrived. The modern food court at LIM airport looks almost identical to the U.S. airport ones with a few exceptions. Next to the long lines at McDonalds is Mediterromeo Chicken which was surprisingly excellent, at least as to the specialty peruvian rotisserrie chicken which is tasty and perfectly cooked. A 1/4 chicken with good fries and an Inca Cola was 19 soles. Wished I'd opted for the half was how good it was and something not expected from airport food. A fitting end to a week of good food in Lima I guess. BTW Inca cola is worth a try. A sweet cream soda like taste that is surprisingly refreshing. No wonder it was able to rival Coca Cola so evenly that Coke bought them out.

Bigmic
08-29-09, 19:38
Arrived late and tired into Lima. By the time cleared customs and got checked into Las Suites Apt. Hotel in Miraflores it was close to midnight. Walked the few blocks to Pardo to find an ATM and get something to eat. After getting some soles from Scottia Bank walked up Pardo a few blocks and realized the restaurants were closing up. Came upon this parilla, got a table and put in an order. Excellent Pisco sour and service but the ribs were tough and chewy. Probably not the best choice but would not repeat. Overpriced also.

Sound7
08-29-09, 20:05
Is the menu in English?

Sea Bass was A-1 and prepared and presented perfectly, as was the fresh bread selection served tableside. Homemade fruit sorbet excellent.

Bigmic
08-29-09, 20:10
Last night in town and went to Relax y Vida #1 for a relaxing massage. Arrived about 2030 to learn that all the girls were busy. Should've called ahead. Madam suggested for us to go get a drink or something to eat. Doorman/guard suggested chifa across the pedestrian bridge behind the Interbank Building. So it was off in the direction of the neon sign on the other side of the freeway. Not much to look at inside or out but the pork fried rice and an inca cola for 10 soles was tasty and just right to fuel up.

Bigmic
08-29-09, 20:14
La Rosa Nautica had the menu in both English and Spanish.

Mine was in English. What is Sea Bass in Spanish?

Bigmic
08-29-09, 20:26
Is the menu in English?LRN had the menu in both English & Spanish so mine was in English.

NotYerAverage
08-31-09, 04:17
La Rosa Nautica had the menu in both English and Spanish.

Mine was in English. What is Sea Bass in Spanish?Sea bass = corvina.

Sushilover808
09-07-09, 23:53
Amazing Italian Seafood buffet restaurant located at Pumacahua 2520, Lince. The Weekend buffet is 51 soles, soda is 4.5 soles, tea is 4 soles. Food is very delicious, service is great, bathrooms are very clean. I can't understand why this place isn't more busy! They are open from 1 pm to 5 pm. As per David's recommendation, I went there by 12:45 to have the best choice of table & food. Listen to David! He know it all!!!

http://www.restaurantebluemoon.com/

Sushilover808
09-08-09, 01:26
We went to LRN last week for Saturday brunch about 2 pm without a reservation so we had to wait in the bar for 45 minutes for a table. We had 1 coffee each and an appetizer in the bar, then 1 wine each with the Seafood from the grill (for two) special for main entree with a shrimp/crab appetizer. We didn't order dessert but had tea. Total was just under 300 soles with tip. Beautiful ocean views and very attentive service but a little pricy. http://www.larosanautica.com/

Bigmic
09-11-09, 01:30
Went to lunch with David at one of his local favorites. Go early if you want to avoid waiting for a table. Save room for dessert as the bakery items are superb. The meringues, especially the green mint one with chocolate filling, are worth the trip and available for carryout.

"Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, this is a modern take on Peruvian food created by chef entrepreneur Gaston Acurio. This is a slightly upscale version of a Peruvian café where you can get the classic empanada stuffed with beef or chicken as well as more gourmet variations such as seafood, lechon (pork), asparagus and Roquefort cheese. They do a twist on the traditional ‘lomo saltado’ (stir fried beef topped with French fries) by serving it with melted cheese on a bun. For breakfast the options include egg dishes, tamales, croque monsieur, fruit and crepes. Dinner has more substantial dishes like pastas and tapas.

The atmosphere is casual and modern and the prices midrange, the food of very good quality. Tanta sells food for takeout, as well as Peruvian cookbooks by Acurio. Spanish only magazines and newspapers are provided to be read on location.

Prices:

Breakfast offers egg dishes (12.00-16.00), ‘sanguches’ (sandwiches) (12.00-14.00). In the lunch menu you will find Empanadas (7.00), Paninis (4.00), Quiches (7.00), Focaccias (7.00). Dinner serves Tapas, ‘Montaditos’, Paninis (19.00), Salads (20.00), Pastas 25.00."

Av. Prolg. Primavera 692, Surco
Av. Vasco Nuñez de Balboa, Miraflores Every day 7am – 12 am
Sunday closes at 10pm
tanta@infonegocio.net.pe

Member #4351
09-11-09, 17:04
Its on the corner of Ave. 28 de Julio and Ave. Reducto. I´ve never been disappointed. AND they have menus in English.

Dick Rambone
09-11-09, 21:50
Its on the corner of Ave. 28 de Julio and Ave. Reducto. I´ve never been disappointed. AND they have menus in English.

Across the street from Tanta there is a Manuel Antonio which serves good food. I like their tamales and sandwiches. Try the butifarra it's great!

Member #4351
09-11-09, 22:35
Its Pastelaria San Antonio...another great place to grab a sandwich....unreal pasteries.

Dick Rambone
09-13-09, 01:07
Its Pastelaria San Antonio...another great place to grab a sandwich....unreal pasteries.

Thanks for the correction. With so many Jose Antonio's, Manuel Antonio's, I got the name mixed up. There is another San Antonio on Angamos close to where I stayed.

Member #4351
09-13-09, 23:11
Yeah there are a few of them. The original is in Magdalena about four blocks from Salvaverry and one block from J. Prado.

Sound7
12-31-09, 21:15
Av. La Mar 820 ... Blue Mar.

Any comments regarding this eatery?

Thanks,

S7

Yeah there are a few of them. The original is in Magdalena about four blocks from Salvaverry and one block from J. Prado.

DownUnderMonger
01-02-10, 02:02
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knew where to get some good decent sized lobster. I found a few places with 250gm ones. But does anyone do anything 1kg+?

Thanks

Bbrocs
01-28-10, 16:21
Listen if your going to be near La Mar, you usually just go to La Mar. LOL, but this restaurant about a block and half closer to Ave. Ejectivo, with the wall and the flags and the outside tables. The food here is excellent as well. We tried different ceviche's, the girls ordered these crab potstickers and this northern peruvian dish that was out of this world. Price is very much on par with La Mar, ceviche's were around 30, and main courses at mid 30's as well.

Doing Business As: RESTAURANTE CAPLINA

Merchant Address: CALLE MEDIBURU Nº 793

MIRAFLORES

Peru

Lima Busy
01-28-10, 19:44
Listen if your going to be near La Mar, you usually just go to La Mar. LOL, but this restaurant about a block and half closer to Ave. Ejectivo, with the wall and the flags and the outside tables. The food here is excellent as well. We tried different ceviche's, the girls ordered these crab potstickers and this northern peruvian dish that was out of this world. Price is very much on par with La Mar, ceviche's were around 30, and main courses at mid 30's as well.

MIRAFLORES

Peru
An even better choice in that area is Pescados Capitiales! They also recently started opening as a restaurant/Lounge and added "pork" dishes for us non-fish eaters.

Albert Punter
01-29-10, 01:49
Pescado Capital and La Mar should be good choices.
I have not tried them personally but a friend of mine who is a gourmet recommended those, so I believe they are good.

Charlie Horse
01-31-10, 00:01

MIRAFLORES

Peru
http://www.caplina.com/index.php

Is this the place?

Bbrocs
01-31-10, 00:41
http://www.caplina.com/index.php

Is this the place?Yes this is the place.

I ate at La Mar and Piscado Capitals.

If I had 3 days I would eat at all 3 places, they were all great.

El Jugador
03-03-10, 03:32
Can anyone recommend a good sushi place in or around Miraflores?

Artisto Art
03-03-10, 14:43
Try:

El Huarike (upscale)
Calle Enrique Palacios nro 140 MF 241 6086 / 106 7203

Centolla
Dos de Mayo 729 MF (near Vivanda)
445-5021

Sushi Tokyo
Calle Berlin 645 MF
823 / 7134

All three are excellent; fresh seafood and super service. They all have websites I believe.

Italian:
Roxi
Elias Aguirre 179 MF
243 3949
You'd be hard-pressed finding a better italian restaurant in MF.

El Jugador
03-04-10, 19:41
Try:

El Huarike (upscale)
Calle Enrique Palacios nro 140 MF 241 6086 / 106 7203

Centolla
Dos de Mayo 729 MF (near Vivanda)
445-5021

Sushi Tokyo
Calle Berlin 645 MF
823 / 7134

All three are excellent; fresh seafood and super service. They all have websites I believe.

Italian:
Roxi
Elias Aguirre 179 MF
243 3949
You'd be hard-pressed finding a better italian restaurant in MF.

Thanks Art, i'll definetely try them out.

Lima Busy
05-01-10, 01:38
Polvo took a group of us out to dinner last night to Rincon Gaucho. If you crave Argentinean steak and a good Malbec, it is hard to go wrong here.
Thanks Polvo for your hospitality! Good luck with the new Chica, you deserve her!

LB

Chuday
05-04-10, 23:02
I was at LaMar today and the food was great. I had the Sea Bass cebiche and it was fantastic.

Thank you all for recommending LaMar.

Polvo
05-29-10, 06:28
found a fairly recently opened indian (as in red dot indian) called mantra, on quadra 17 benevides - opposite starbucks. (about two quadras past wongs on benevides/rep. de panama).

really, really, good curry - lamb was the best. stay away from the fried starters though, chef fucks those up and they all taste the same. the other stuff is very high quality.

website is mantraperu.com

recommend.

polvo

Captain Napalm
05-29-10, 07:12

I enjoyed Makato Sushi in Larcomar.

Captain Napalm
05-29-10, 07:19
Had a nice plate of cebiche mixto tropical at La Caleta, located in La Punta. Don't know the exact location (Pardo?) but there are a line of restaurants along the malecon.

Lima Busy
07-28-10, 19:59
I eat the best food in the world everyday. On occasion I want some "real" fast food but Mickey d"s does not cut it! I just got back from feasting on a chili cheese pepperoni burger, plate of greasy fries and a half liter of beer for 16 soles. Guaranteed to be sitting on my "Throne" the rest of the day!

Artisttyp
07-28-10, 20:02
I eat the best food in the world everyday. On occasion I want some "real" fast food but Mickey d"s does not cut it! I just got back from feasting on a chili cheese pepperoni burger, plate of greasy fries and a half liter of beer for 16 soles. Guaranteed to be sitting on my "Throne" the rest of the day!

Where ? That sounds like a good post session snack.

Lima Busy
07-29-10, 04:47
Where ? That sounds like a good post session snack.
Adios Chow!

I forgot what day it was and 5 min after I got back,had to go to a BBQ!

Chocla con Huancaina, Chorizo con Huankatay, Bistec con "green argentine stuff" and some peach custard pie at Z when we got back!

Artisttyp
07-29-10, 05:23
Adios Chow!

I forgot what day it was and 5 min after I got back,had to go to a BBQ!

Chocla con Huancaina, Chorizo con Huankatay, Bistec con "green argentine stuff" and some peach custard pie at Z when we got back!

Where is adios chow ? Sandwhich.com next to parque kennedy has some decent grub as well.

Tomasb
07-29-10, 06:35
thats what you call TMI...

Lima Busy
07-29-10, 16:32
Where is adios chow ? Sandwhich.com next to parque kennedy has some decent grub as well.
Next door to Z, It is Eli & Daniels other joint.

Artisttyp
08-17-10, 18:11
I remember menteng asked this question before but I can´t find the response.

Is there a good chifa in chinatown or anywhere else that I should visit?

The chifas Ive been going to have been disgusting.

Thanks

Member #4351
08-17-10, 21:46
http://www.omeiperu.com/

Not for those on a strict budget.

Globe Trotter
08-18-10, 19:07
I just heard of the 1st Turkish restaurant to open in Peru called "Istanbul" located at Av Grau 310, close to Plaza Baranco tel: 477-9372.
Going to check them out this week and will post my comments.

Artisttyp
08-19-10, 03:35
Today I was in barrio chino looking for a few things and found this place:

CHINATOWN DE ROSA CHIN CHAU
jr. Andahuaylas 799
tel 4279291

The reason I stopped in here is because it looked like a mid range place. There are several low end chifas in lima as well as expensive but hardly any mid range.

This chifa is located very close to the entrance to barrio chino off avenida abancay( located near the end of abancay heading to rimac). It has a very nice layout and atmosphere for an el centro chifa. You can also watch the mercado down below because it is located on the second floor.

The food was decent but I found the portions to be smaller than normal. I had soup spring rolls and a chicken enrollado dish for 30 soles = $11 with tip.

Not cheap for lima by any standards but decent food good atmposphere in a rather hectic part of town.

If you are looking for eye glass cases or accessories this is a good area to buy things. Also for all sorts of paper products and unusual latin music CD´s.

Just walk around and look at the stalls. Be aware of your surroundings.

Samu Ray
08-19-10, 18:36
For those on a low budget, there is a supermarket on cuzco av between
Abancay and Union, Wong Supermarket, they have freshly made food, you go by a fountain serving yourself and pay by weight, not too expensive...

Pennypacker
10-16-10, 17:37
In Parque Kennedy next to Starbucks is a new sandwich place called La Lucha. It's owned by the same New Yorker who owns Shehadi. It's a bright wide open NYC style walk up service. You order and pay for your sandwich at the counter and take a number back to your table and await your meal. The french fries are fresh and they use those purplish Andean potatoes. My favorite sandwich is "La Lucha" with chucnks of roast beef, cheese and onion. Fucking top notch. Fries + Sandwich + Drink not going to run you more than S/. 15. Provecho!

Lima Busy
10-17-10, 16:38
In Parque Kennedy next to Starbucks is a new sandwich place called La Lucha. It's owned by the same New Yorker who owns Shehadi. It's a bright wide open NYC style walk up service. You order and pay for your sandwich at the counter and take a number back to your table and await your meal. The french fries are fresh and they use those purplish Andean potatoes. My favorite sandwich is "La Lucha" with chucnks of roast beef, cheese and onion. Fucking top notch. Fries + Sandwich + Drink not going to run you more than S/. 15. Provecho!
I get take out from there at least twice a week! I go for the wood cooked Pavo with a touch of Aji and a side of gravy! Brilliant and a fucking Gold Mine!

Pennypacker
11-04-10, 22:49
This is one of your typical menu places around Lima. For a fixed price you get an appetizer, beverage, meal and desert. The price here at Cortez is S/. 10. It's a tad more than can be had in other places but the quality reflects the price. You'll have about 5 appetizers and 7-8 main courses to choose from ranging from Causa, Sopa Criolla, Palta Rellana, Arroz con Pollo, Lomo Saltado, etc. For about US $3. 50 you can't go wrong and it's in a great location just steps from block 7/8 of Av. Larco. Provecho!

Lima Busy
11-17-10, 00:23
A group of us spent last week comparing various "Steak Houses".

The contenders were:

La Carretta. Top 10 Peru restaurant in a recent survey

El Rincon Gaucho- Almost got knocked down for its views.

La Tranquera= A long time favorite of the regular crowd

El Hornero (sp) Hooker and Narco fave.

I do not think I can eat another steak and I told Polvo the other day that I think I gave birth to a calf. But minor variations in pricing aside (Steaks are about $25 in Peru) the Hooker's know "good meat" and Hornero was the clear favorite with

La Carretta a fairly distant second.

El Hornero is on the Malecon in Chorillos and if you come out with a "gaggle of birds" at 1:30 am be prepared to hoof it down to wireless to catch some cabs.

Grrrr
06-17-12, 18:38
Hi all,

Life is Lima is not all about sex right? Lima is also a foodies paradise.

It's really expensive by Lima's standards but if you love spectacularly creative and tasty food then Astrid why Gaston is fantastic. Rated one of the best restaurants in the world, you would never get food of this quality at this price in most countries in any developed country in the world.

Another great place that was mostly ceviche was called El Mercado. This place is only open at lunchtime and gets pretty busy so you'll need to book.

I don't have the addresses on me so you'll need to Google them.

El Lobo Solo
09-14-13, 19:17
If you are staying in the San Isidro area, you can't go wrong with the Familiares on avenida Chin Chon. Chin Chon is a street running south east from Arequipa to the financial towers on Ricardo Rivera Navarrete. The best restaurants for a great lunch at a great price are in the block next to Navarrete. There you can get excellent fare for S. 8 to 9. This will include a first course of soup or salad or various typical dishes like papa rellena, etc. The soups are usually almost a meal in themselves. The second course will be a full plate of meat, fish, chicken, or other meat, with a vegetable and rice (or potatoes or camote, etc.) plus a drink, usually an infusion or refresco. I have never gotten sick at any of these restaurants, and I have a delicate stomach.

As many know, Lima and Peru have great food, and in these restaurants you will find lots of variety at a great price point.

Note that these restaurants are the place where many of the local office workers eat their lunches. There is usually a major crush from about 1230 to 1330, and you do not get a great ambiance! What you get is brusque, polite service, with no nonsense, and a complete meal that should make MacDonalds blush, for about $3.00. You also will be shoulder to shoulder with Peruvians in a lively environment that doesn't cater to tourism at all. So someone in your party needs to be able to speak Spanish well.

My current favorite is La Sazon, which charges S. 8 on Saturday and S. 9.50 on weekdays. This restaurant is at number 879-881 Chin Chon.

Member #4244
02-09-14, 08:32
I have been a few places here, pretty much eating one big meal and one light meal a day. I will share some impressions.

I went to La Mar as it was recommended to me for ceviche and general seafood. The selection is ostensibly rather wide, however practically everything that appealed to me on the menu was not available. This was midweek at peak time for lunch. I found that strange. At any rate, I did enjoy some dishes there including two ceviches (conchas negras and fresh tuna) as well a sort of platter I had the chef fix for me that included lenguada, salmon and bass. I also tried a small plate of causas. Literally everything was excellent. The service was respectable, especially for the hour, though service and ambiance overall was just OK for the pricing. This place s in Miraflores, easy to get to as well.

I had planned to check out Punto Azul but it was so packed. They told me ten minutes for a table, after a half hour I bailed. Right there on 28 de Julio there is some sushi place. They offer all you can eat maki for 50 / S, a good value but honestly the place was bleh. I also ate at another place (three letters, much fancier) that had a nice variety but still didn't really deliver. Sushi here is an overpriced waste. You can get sashimi quality fish in larger portions elsewhere. Their rolls are not like a place with Japanese people (which is surprising) , they rice you to death and it all has a very dry feel to it. It's hard to get the real deal anywhere in Latin America, but this place has much more to offer from its waters so I don't really miss it.

Punto Azul seemed pretty good, generous portions, fair prices, decent variety and above average quality from the appearance of things. You see a lot standing there for a fucking half hour.

I ate at Tanto a couple times, mainly for convenience but it was good. They have a wide array of pastries and I'd recommend trying something that catches your eye. I had a tiramisu with lucuma, which was a nice local twist on an international classic. I also had a tasty, fresh salad with tangerines and lightly breaded shrimp as well as their spicy chicken sandwich. The bread on the sandwich left much to be desired but otherwise the meal was good. Very fresh and easy to eat. I have noticed they are not much for heavy, artificial feeling sauces and condiments here. They flavor things naturally. That is a big plus to me and, I think, to any traveler. Their juices were pretty good as well, though they are a bit overpriced at 12-14 soles. There are some distinct local fruits in the mix like lucuma, camu camu and aguaymanto, which tasted much like the Colombian lulo (and not like a "cherry" at all). That was refreshing. I went back there with a date, we got some sort of beef egg roll that was tasty but mostly consisted of onions it seemed. She got a steak pasta dish which she enjoyed and I got their classic cebiche, which was fresh and simple with chunks of pass, sweet potatoes, corn, lime, onion and tiger's milk. I would recommend this place, it's sort of an upscale dinner like The Continental in Philadelphia. There is another location that has a bigger menu, according to my date at least.

Strangely with all the fish I have had, maybe the best thing here was a burger from La Republica. Very tender, fresh beef, decent cheese (rare for Latin America) , fresh veggies and a potato bun that really completed this simple but delicious burger. I have never understood why potato bread is not more popular in Latin America. They also have decent juices and good ice cream. This is a nice cheap plate to take a date and watch people stroll by or to grab a bite after you have knocked a few back.

I wish I could have gotten to more food spots but I have had my hands full, which is not a bad thing! I will post some other info after I leave, I hope to try some really nice places in the next couple of days.

Member #4244
02-09-14, 08:34
Hi all,

Life is Lima is not all about sex right? Lima is also a foodies paradise.

It's really expensive by Lima's standards but if you love spectacularly creative and tasty food then Astrid why Gaston is fantastic. Rated one of the best restaurants in the world, you would never get food of this quality at this price in most countries in any developed country in the world.

Another great place that was mostly ceviche was called El Mercado. This place is only open at lunchtime and gets pretty busy so you'll need to book.

I don't have the addresses on me so you'll need to Google them.Thank you, I am definitely going to astrid y gaston and perhaps el mercado for lunch tomorrow (if it is open)

Steven Jones
02-09-14, 15:31
Thank you, I am definitely going to astrid y gaston and perhaps el mercado for lunch tomorrow (if it is open)I concur, astrid why gaston is a fantastic place, though don't just stick to the high end places, the street food is amazing too Especially the sea food.

Oh and if you like wine, check out the local Peruvian wine, you won't find it in the high end places, but it is available in the supermarkets.

MrBeaver2013
02-09-14, 23:16
As someone working closely with the food and gastronomy industry, I have to say that Carnal in Miraflores is by far the best steak house in Peru. Astrid why Gaston (#14) and Central (#50) are on the world's top 50 list. And Maido is the place for Sushi fusion and some of the finest cocktails you can find.

Now having said that, all those places are top dollar places. I much prefer the hole in the wall joints and have a fine list of places that I have tried loved. Peru has the fastest growing cuisine in the world (which is why I'm here) and truly has so much to offer that you will fall short of days to try all the great places.

PM me to know some of my favorites if you like.

Provecho!

A group of us spent last week comparing various "Steak Houses".

The contenders were:

La Carretta. Top 10 Peru restaurant in a recent survey.

El Rincon Gaucho- Almost got knocked down for its views.

La Tranquera= A long time favorite of the regular crowd.

El Hornero (sp) Hooker and Narco fave.

I do not think I can eat another steak and I told Polvo the other day that I think I gave birth to a calf. But minor variations in pricing aside (Steaks are about $25 in Peru) the Hooker's know "good meat" and Hornero was the clear favorite with.

La Carretta a fairly distant second.

El Hornero is on the Malecon in Chorillos and if you come out with a "gaggle of birds" at 1:30 am be prepared to hoof it down to wireless to catch some cabs.

Boone
03-25-14, 02:42
While in Miraflores for a week I ate at several restaurants I would recommend:

Mezze. 1155 Av Larco, I wanted a salad and the only thing that fit the bill for me on the menu was the grilled octopus salad, octopus is not my favorite but I tried it and the grilled flavor was great, all in all I was very pleased with it.

Punto Azul, there are 4 or 5 locations in Lima, I ate at the one on San Martin and I would recommend it, it is also the only one open in the evening. The first time I tried to eat here it was at 1:30, and the wait was 50 minutes, other days I went earlier and had no trouble getting in. I had the ceviche, which was great and another time I tried the fish causa, which I really liked the flavor of but it was too salty for my taste. I also tried the rice with seafood which to me was only ok.

The Corner Sports Bar and Grill, on the corner of Larco and Juan Fanning, had the fish and chips which were better than just about any I have had in the states.

Barcelona 360, 699 Alcanfores, I am a sucker for paella so when the wait to get in to Punto Azul was 50 minutes I went across the street to Barcelona and while it was not like a Spanish paella it was good and I was quite satisfied.