PDA

View Full Version : General Info

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Poucolouco
08-23-09, 16:27
Thanks Pouco. I've been to Shenanigans.

Mudbug looks like it could be a fun time. Looks like Rio needs a giant sports bar.

Mudbug is not as good as Shenanigans for sports coverage but it is convenient if you are staying in that area of Copacabana. You will be lucky to get anything more than futebol on TV.

Blk Big Bootyluv
08-26-09, 05:14
Greetings Fellow Mongerers,

Anyone know how long it will take to vist/tour the Sugarloaf and Christo? can we do both in one day?

We plan to begin about 7 or 9am?

Thanks

Jan 156
08-26-09, 07:50

Anyone know how long it will take to vist/tour the Sugarloaf and Christo? can we do both in one day?

Thanks
You can if you are organised. Sugar Loaf is a piece of cake ;) but Christo is a bit further and slightly more hassle. If you do Christo first, have clear weather so you have a decent view (rather than cloud cover) then relax for a meal (depending how much time you took or wasted getting out of Christo) and do Sugar Loaf a bit before (plus during, so you see the sun go down from the top) that's a nice way. Try to avoid the suburb around Christo at rush hour as the roads may be rather slow.

Perkele
08-26-09, 10:02

Thanks

Piece of cake.

Take a taxi and ask him to take you to Cosme Velho, where you can take a train that takes you to top of Christo. Train goes through the rainforest and is worth taking. Cost maybe around R$ 30 for train. NEVER let taxi take you to the top... Ticket is round ticket so you may come down from the Christo by train too.

From Cosme Velho take a taxi to Sugar loaf.

Just choose a sunny day for your visit. Any clouds and at least Christo is no good.

Also if you plan your visit well, its very problable that you can have a lunch in Sugar loaf or its vicinity.

Blk Big Bootyluv
08-26-09, 11:49
Obrigado Senhores.

Perkele E Christopherd.

We are out the door and on our way.

Piece of cake.

Take a taxi and ask him to take you to Cosme Velho, where you can take a train that takes you to top of Christo. Train goes through the rainforest and is worth taking. Cost maybe around R$ 30 for train. NEVER let taxi take you to the top... Ticket is round ticket so you may come down from the Christo by train too.

From Cosme Velho take a taxi to Sugar loaf.

Just choose a sunny day for your visit. Any clouds and at least Christo is no good.

Also if you plan your visit well, its very problable that you can have a lunch in Sugar loaf or its vicinity.

El Greco
08-26-09, 13:17

Thanks

I would go to Christo on a sunny cloudless morning for a couple of hours.

Then go to centro to Cafe Colombo (it is a must to see it) for a light lunch/sweets and then to the top of the shoping mall at Botafogo for some ice cream/coffee.
You get a very nice view of Sugar loaf from up there and a nice place to take some pictures of it.

From there take a taxi to the Sugar loaf (it is very close) and be there about 1,1/2 hours before sunset so you can see Rio by night as well.

If you like it stay for dinner too.

Blk Big Bootyluv
08-26-09, 19:30
Obregado. made it to the Christo today. Took about 3 hrs to get a few good shots. Thanks for all the advice Bro's. Sugarloaf soon to come.

Maybe Karla models for an evening snack.

I would go to Christo on a sunny cloudless morning for a couple of hours.

Then go to centro to Cafe Colombo (it is a must to see it) for a light lunch/sweets and then to the top of the shoping mall at Botafogo for some ice cream/coffee.
You get a very nice view of Sugar loaf from up there and a nice place to take some pictures of it.

From there take a taxi to the Sugar loaf (it is very close) and be there about 1,1/2 hours before sunset so you can see Rio by night as well.

If you like it stay for dinner too.

Poucolouco
08-26-09, 20:40
Anyone know how long it will take to vist/tour the Sugarloaf and Christo? can we do both in one day? We plan to begin about 7 or 9am?
Thanks

Here is a preview panoramic view from Pão de açúcar.

http://ayrton.com/360/fs/paoacucar1f.html

Jan 156
08-26-09, 21:29
All excellent suggestions for getting to these places and appreciating them. Cafe Colombo is a nice inbetween touch - quite awesome - and you can get the Metro from there to Botafogo where the connecting Metro Bus can take you to the foot of SugarLoaf for the chairlifts up.

Not sure about getting your meal on SugarLoaf there though. The food facilities are more in the nature of snacks and beer most of the time. Cafe Colombo is also more in the way of very discerning light food than proper meals. If you find you need a good solid portion of meat, Bar Luiz, on Rua Carioca 39 is nearby and will feed you well in traditional German style (it is also quite an institution!)

If you can find your way about, after you get off the Metro at Botafogo (for instance, if you use the above directions) and find Estação Botafogo on Rua Voluntários da Pátria 88, just opposite the petrol station - check it on google maps. For my money, one of the finest kilogrammas you'll find. Right up to oysters and carvery without the pomp of Porcao -type places.

There are many excellent places to eat in Botafogo. And as someone has mentioned, you get a lovely view if you want to go up the B.Shopping Mall to the restuarants on the top.

Decent restaurtants are in the minority around the tourist-by-the-coach-load areas at the base of Christo & Sugar Loaf.

The train up Christo is a must. At least you'll have fun if the weather suddenly clouds over!

Geofagus
08-27-09, 03:47
Went there to eat a few nights ago with two GDP's. I made sure they dressed appropriate, but we had a great time. For the three of us, with about 6 drinks...nothing crazy, it cost R420. About 225USD.

Was worth it, these two GDPs rocked my world that evening!! lol

Poucolouco
08-27-09, 18:54
Do you notice the difference in brazil meat to united states meat? A brazil ian girl told me the meat taste funny in the USA.
I enjoy Brazilian meat but I have never laughed at an American steak. Beef taste is a matter of personal preference affected by how it is cooked. Beef is produced the same in Brasil as in the U.S., i.e. grass fed and grain fattened in feed lots, but several things will affect the taste. Brasilian beef cuts are very different than in the U.S. and they are not uniform throughout Brasil. Prepackaged meats are not recognizable in Brasil. You sometimes will see “Tibon” or filet mignon but you won’t find porterhouse or rib eye. I guess a “contra-filé” is similar. The preferred roast beef is called picanha. It is similar to U.S. top sirloin. Brasilian beef is also leaner than in the U.S. with less marbling of fat. Brasilian beef is commonly cooked on a rotisserie churrasco rather than a flaming grill or in an oven. Brasilian cooking includes a heavy seasoning with rock salt which definitely will seal in a more juicy taste. North American seasoning includes more herbs and spices. Depending on the restaurant, Brasilian hamburgers are often made with lower quality beef than most U.S. restaurants, and I believe contain a generous dose of extenders.

Buscemi
08-27-09, 19:12
Brazilians are certainly not shy about salting any cut of beef before cooking!

Buscemi
08-27-09, 19:42
Went there to eat a few nights ago with two GDP's. I made sure they dressed appropriate, but we had a great time. For the three of us, with about 6 drinks...nothing crazy, it cost R420. About 225USD.

Was worth it, these two GDPs rocked my world that evening!! lol

Honestly, Porcão is WAY over rated/priced, I ate in a few more local places after Porcão, that were 1/2 the price and just as good.

I'll find the names and address later to share....(Carretão...nothing fancy, but great Churrasco and very reasonable, Rua Viconde de Piraja, 112 Ipanema)

If I recall we spent R200 for four guys including 2 bottles of wine!

Poucolouco
08-28-09, 03:37
The Prefeitura, is implementing a “choque de ordem” for food sales on the beaches of Rio. The new regulations will require registration and uniforms for all walking vendors. Some products will be prohibited from sale on the beach, such as camarao on a stick, toasted cheese, sanduiche natural, ice creams, acai, empadas, and others. While your favorite junk food may not be available in the future, it is good to know that the Prefeitura is policing the sanitation and hygiene of beach food sales. The barraqueiros, (the guys with the tents renting chairs) are already regulated and licensed for beach sales.

Poucolouco
08-28-09, 17:24
Thats not what I meant. The brasilian girl was from a farm so she must have been getting free range meat unlike the pesticide riddled meats in the usa that are shot up with growth stimulating hormones, steriods and antibiotics. All meat is diseased so i dont see why anyone in their right mind would eat meat.I guess I misunderstood your question. I didn't understand that you wanted to proselytize about vegetarianism.

Do you notice the difference in brazil meat to united states meat? A brazil ian girl told me the meat taste funny in the USA.

Alex Deuce
08-29-09, 03:49
Do you notice the difference in brazil meat to united states meat? A brazil ian girl told me the meat taste funny in the USA.Domestic Brazilian meat is not as over processed as USA meet and is not prepackaged the same way. As in any manufacturing process or operation it depends on the demands of the intended market. Its like going to a Texas Ranch and ordering a steak and comparing it to one flown in to New York City. Domestic Brazillian meat tastes a thousand times better to me. However, you have a higher chance of getting sick from it due to non-treated bacteria and parasites. Ever notice how it is more purple than red. Remember, the redder the meat the older it is or more treated. Fresh meet is almost purpley brown. I love steaks and I always want to see it before they cook it!

Aww man, A Groata, steak, eggs and fruit at 8:00 a.m is the Shhiiiiiiiiiiiiiaaaaat! Eat the food back to the casa for round 4! Always well done! Your intestines will thank you!

Poucolouco
08-29-09, 04:20
Domestic Brazilian meat is not as over processed as USA meet and is not prepackaged the same way. As in any manufacturing process or operation it depends on the demands of the intended market. Its like going to a Texas Ranch and ordering a steak and comparing it to one flown in to New York City. The secret to great tasting beef is cold storage aging. It increases the flavor and results in a more tender cut of meat. Gristedes Manhattan groceries sell 21-day aged beef but it is expensive. Most fine New York restaurants age their beef for 10 to 20 days. That's why you pay dearly for a restaurant steak. The meat is not flown in to New York. It arrives as sides of beef in refrigerated trucks. If you get a fresh cut of meat on a Texas Ranch it would be still a grass-fed steer, unfattened by grain in the feed lot and a bloody tough steak at that.

Alex Deuce
08-29-09, 17:29
The secret to great tasting beef is cold storage aging. It increases the flavor and results in a more tender cut of meat. Gristedes Manhattan groceries sell 21-day aged beef but it is expensive. Most fine New York restaurants age their beef for 10 to 20 days. That's why you pay dearly for a restaurant steak. The meat is not flown in to New York. It arrives as sides of beef in refrigerated trucks. If you get a fresh cut of meat on a Texas Ranch it would be still a grass-fed steer, unfattened by grain in the feed lot and a bloody tough steak at that.You win! I cant argue with someone that thinks there is no difference from Texas to New York in packaging!

Eros74
09-02-09, 13:25
Friends, how is the weather in september ?

I mean, I see by net the temperature, but thinking to come, I would like to know, if is possible, and nice, to go to beach, get tanned and swimming.

It seems it rains a lot too.

But it should be low season, I mean not many mongers, so maybe better rates with accomodation and so on ?

Thanks

Jan 156
09-02-09, 16:27

I mean, I see by net the temperature, but thinking to come, I would like to know, if is possible, and nice, to go to beach, get tanned and swimming.

But it should be low season, I mean not many mongers, so maybe better rates with accomodation and so on ?

Thanks

Quick IMO answer - weather in Rio is always pretty unpredictable. At least in September you won't burn as easily (on sunny days) as at the height of summer. Rates are ok as there's no Carnaval, New Year, etc on. I personally think there's bigger, crazier things that usually affect prices more (if anything) than the slight variations in foreign monger numbers.

El Greco
09-02-09, 17:37

Thanks

Last November, during my three weeks stay in Rio, I only saw the sun 3 times for a few hours. All the time it was cloudy, drizling or raining and cold.Go figure for September.

Before thar I was in Buenos Aires with fine weather and temperatures up to 32 celcius.

IMO best weather for Rio is March to May. Sunny skies and mild temperatures then.

Ryjerrob
09-03-09, 19:51
Anyone seen this yet??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1VBlaromJY

ryjer

Buscemi
09-03-09, 20:00
Anyone seen this yet??

ryjer

Pretty tasteless if you ask me.

Ryjerrob
09-03-09, 20:06
Pretty tasteless if you ask me.

Tasteless? Not sure what that means in this case. The thought that a dictator/murderer and all his henchmen are sitting around talking about Help is at least slightly comical. It's not my video, but it's about the mongering scene, and has no political message.

I apologize in advance if any one is offended.

ryjer

JohnnyBraz
09-03-09, 20:08

ThanksLike anytime in Rio, can rain, can be 30 degrees on any day in any month. Rates on accomodation are cheaper than high season, I personally find that it rains more in December/January. It isn't as crowded as August/July, where you get american and europeans on there summer vacations. And no where near as crowded as December to March. I'll be there in a week for a month. Again.

Sperto
09-03-09, 20:35
Anyone seen this yet??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1VBlaromJY
ryjer
It's actually quite well done and very funny. Propably even better if you don't understand german.
P.S Yes, and a bit tasteless with mr H.

Xpartan
09-04-09, 01:23
Tasteless? Not sure what that means in this case. The thought that a dictator/murderer and all his henchmen are sitting around talking about Help is at least slightly comical. It's not my video, but it's about the mongering scene, and has no political message.

ryjerI can't imagine that anyone could be offended by that, and I am Jewish! Thanks for the link. It's funny as hell!

Cho 637
09-04-09, 07:13

ryjer

Hilarious!

Rio Bob
09-04-09, 19:31
I live around that area myself and to be honest with you what we have here is no comparison to what is out their. We, for some odd reason, get the rejects. And I go to the dances that they have at the euro-palace. Or guitar bar which is famous for playing there music. And once they are here they aim for the Caucasians than there own. And that is the truth. Once here they just aim for the Residency or Citizenship. Hey have you ever been to adega?

Good place to see the Brazilian bunda in Ironbound.

A couple of weeks ago I was feeling homesick for some Brazilian bunda so I went to Craigs list and noticed about 5 GDP's all Brazilian hold up in a hotel not far from where I live and not far from the area you are talking about.

I called all 5 of them and chose 1 based upon the picture and her sweet voice.

What they do is they tell you when you get to the hotel call from the parking lot, I did and she told me her room number.

The picture was taken in better days but she wasn't bad and I wasn't giving up. She wouldn't honor the price and service on Craigs list posted so we negotiated less time and money, but she'll never get repeat business from me. We did the whole session in portuguese, which I think she was quite surprised. I feel if they speak portuguese then most likely they are not LE.

CBJ of course as she fingered herself with me, she got herself off, didn't need the lube she pulled out she was slick for my dick. Session was good but no where near a session you would get in Rio, if VM is 1 real a minute then this was about 5 dollars a minute. This is why I go to Rio.

Sperto
09-04-09, 20:43
Session was good but no where near a session you would get in Rio, if VM is 1 real a minute then this was about 5 dollars a minute. This is why I go to Rio.
Rio Bob, I'm happy for you, but I didn't know you compared bunda-prices to VM? I always thought Help was your playground? :D

Me, being a cheap f**k, can't help thinking when I order a beer back home: "I could get laid in Rio for the cost of this pint of beer..." :(

Speaking about beer (which is a very important subject). To me, to truly enjoy a beer in Rio, it must not be a chopp served by an ignorant waiter in a white coat at TA. It must be served in a boteco by an old waiter who has been working there for at least the two last decades at the same boteco. Of course it has to be a 600 ml beer in an isopor. Icecold, with small pieces of ice sliding down the neck. If it's a Bohemia I will be in heaven, but most other brands will do (except Kaiser). The beer have to, preferably, be served on a unbalanced steel table (not the wooden once).

Of course, some lovely cariocas have to wander by doing their bunda-do jacaré-swing with their asses (common expression in the Amazon, if you ever seen a jacaré swing her tail you'll understand...).

Sorry, for the interruption. Let's go back to discussing the weather, beef meat and H*tler-videos.

Eros74
09-04-09, 21:42
Speaking about beer (which is a very important subject)...

Please...do not apologize, very nice interruption, I love beer too, IMHO for me from 1998 the best one is always the same. Often I go to Prague by car just to comeback with 120-150 bottles of 0,5L to drink slowly and taste well once at home and yes, even if I tried many beers in Rio, Staropramen is always the best for me. :)

www.staropramen.com

P.S. Try it, if you did not already do it :)

Rio Bob
09-04-09, 21:45
I understand why the Government would want to close Help because of its high profile location. But I don't understand the talk about how it is going to help tourism by closing Help.

Well, if you go to legitimate travel sites for people who are just tourists and might go just once in their life, all the response people get when they ask where to stay is DO NOT STAY IN Copacabana because theres nothing but theives and prostitutes there. Stay In Ipanema.

On these sites people are always saying do not stay in the Rio Othon Palace hotel because it is next to that Help Disco and there is noise all night long. Also they say things like every cafe along Ave Atlantica is full of prostitutes.

So in my opinion they are trying to clean up Copa so that it is more tourist friendly so regular tourists and families can stay there. Because now many stay away and stay in Ipanema.

Rio Bob
09-04-09, 23:40
Rio Bob, I'm happy for you, but I didn't know you compared bunda-prices to VM? I always thought Help was your playground? :D

Sorry, for the interruption. Let's go back to discussing the weather, beef meat and H*tler-videos.

Well the only reason why I mentioned VM was because my experience with this girl could be measured in minutes, like I read VM is from you. In my case it was 30 minutes, so that's why I chose VM as my comparison.

I have never been to VM, only know about it mostly from your writings here on ISG. Maybe I'll get there some day but hope I won't have the same experience as the Furor.

Speaking about the Furor, when I saw that video I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard. The guy who put those subtitles in, timed it so right, the things he said and when he said them were perfect. Whoever did it obviously knows Rio well, even mentioned Karla models, I suspect he could be a member of this board or a similar one but it was done very well.

When you are in youtube looking at this they show similar movies on the side as you all know, I saw the Michael Jackson one, where Hitler finds out Michael Jackon has died, I sent this to some friends, of course this would be a more common subject. Many people on my email list don't know about Help Disco and that I even go there, I guess if I sent it to them they just wouldn't get it, but I couldn't stop laughing, it has a very narrow audience.

Doc Simp
09-05-09, 01:53
A couple of weeks ago I was feeling homesick for some Brazilian bunda so I went to Craigs list and noticed about 5 GDP's all Brazilian hold up in a hotel not far from where I live and not far from the area you are talking about.

I called all 5 of them and chose 1 based upon the picture and her sweet voice.

What they do is they tell you when you get to the hotel call from the parking lot, I did and she told me her room number.

The picture was taken in better days but she wasn't bad and I wasn't giving up. She wouldn't honor the price and service on Craigs list posted so we negotiated less time and money, but she'll never get repeat business from me. We did the whole session in portuguese, which I think she was quite surprised. I feel if they speak portuguese then most likely they are not LE.

CBJ of course as she fingered herself with me, she got herself off, didn't need the lube she pulled out she was slick for my dick. Session was good but no where near a session you would get in Rio, if VM is 1 real a minute then this was about 5 dollars a minute. This is why I go to Rio.Adega actually has great food. And if this is jersey we are talking about as I'm thinking about there are several good places to get some brasiliera. Believe it or not I just had a nice one for 60.00 USD and 30.00 to the house at Mickey Dees in Paterson. Lightening must have struck because she was only 21, and gravity had nothing on her body.

There are some other places to get some ok GDP in North Jersey, stripclubs with FS and the like.

DaveWave
09-06-09, 17:40
Gentlemen:

How many of you have used your IPhone in Brasil? Were you able to avoid the massive charges that many US based Iphone users have reported while out of the country?

Did you get the $6.99 (or whatever) international plan that is supposed to lessen the cost?

Any input here from IPhone users is welcome. I know if you simply turn the damn thing on in a foreign country it will update your email and everything else leading to a lot of $$ charges.

Many thanks in advance,

DaveWave

Brazil Specialist
09-07-09, 10:48
Gentlemen:

How many of you have used your IPhone in Brasil? Were you able to avoid the massive charges that many US based Iphone users have reported while out of the country?

Did you get the $6.99 (or whatever) international plan that is supposed to lessen the cost?

Any input here from IPhone users is welcome. I know if you simply turn the damn thing on in a foreign country it will update your email and everything else leading to a lot of $$ charges.

DaveWave

Plenty of good news for you
* there is some US carrier with international data roaming fairly cheaply. I met a guy with that, but don't ask me who he was. He had a Blackberry, so you would have to hack your iphone

* Tim has a prepaid R$ 5 per day data plan (not unlimited but quite a lot of data) data plan. Slightly tricky to use (send text message to authorize a day of cheap data plan or else you pay per traffic use, very expensive)

* I can probably rent you a chip with data plan, as Brazilians make sure that it is a pain for you to get a chip with data plan.

Brazil Specialist
09-07-09, 11:16
http://human-stupidity.com/stupid-dogma/teenage-sexuality/italian-arrested-fortaleza-brazil-kissing-8-year-daughter

brazilian's justice system did it again.

an italian family man was in fortaleza beach with his brazilian wife and 8 year old daugher. kissed his daugher on the mouth (no french kiss) which is common in italy. has been in brazilian jails ever since (about 6 days) and is denied freedom. sits with 15 common criminals who normally don't look kindly upon people accused of [CodeWord125] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord125) and abusing children (that are the charges).

i wonder if he already got raped and beaten up in jail.
he risks to stay another 15 years in jail.

at least brazil harbors italian terrorists (battista) and bank robbers (ronald biggs). the lesson: don't take your family to brazil. and if you have a kid, make sure it does not get kidnapped by his brazilian mother ( http://bringseanhome.org )

JohnnyBraz
09-07-09, 15:22
http://human-stupidity.com/stupid-dogma/teenage-sexuality/italian-arrested-fortaleza-brazil-kissing-8-year-daughter

an italian family man was in fortaleza beach with his brazilian wife and 8 year old daugher. kissed his daugher on the mouth (no french kiss) which is common in italy. has been in brazilian jails ever since (about 6 days) and is denied freedom. sits with 15 common criminals who normally don't look kindly upon people accused of [CodeWord125] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord125) and abusing children (that are the charges).

at least brazil harbors italian terrorists (battista) and bank robbers (ronald biggs). the lesson: don't take your family to brazil. and if you have a kid, make sure it does not get kidnapped by his brazilian mother ( http://bringseanhome.org )hey, don't associate ronnie biggs with terrorists.

he had a brazilian child which helped him escape british law.

his son micheal stood by him all the way, as he done everything to stand by him as a father. the british government would rather put a dying man behind bars, but they let terrorists who kill 100+ people go back to libya on compasionate grounds. but they leave ronnie in jail till the end. the lockerby bomber got a heroes welcome in libya. ronnies son now lives in london and transfers brazilian soccer players to english clubs. typical british justice.

Ee2002
09-07-09, 22:04
Gentlemen:

Many thanks in advance,

DaveWave

Other than unlocking your iPhone and buying a local sim card, your best way to avoid massive charges is to turn the data roaming function off. Once you do that you should be able to use the internet/ email on wifi only without any charges. The only problem is finding a good free wifi spot outside of your apt or hotel. As far as making calls not much that I can think of other than again an unlocked phone. It's cheaper to take a hit for making calls than for using the internet/ email on the 3g/ att network.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/iphone-travel-tips.jsp

BionicMan
09-07-09, 22:49

[/url] )

he has been sent to hospital for medical reasons. probably a way to keep out of reach of other inmates.
holiday today in brazil, the judge should update the case on tuesday.
let's see what happens and if the guy has to apply for political asylum :(((

BionicMan
09-07-09, 22:52
Gentlemen:

Many thanks in advance,

DaveWave
That's the bad side of i-phone. As soon as you are out of your homecountry and home provider, you are at the mercy of wild rates.In that the Blackberry is unbeatable. I prefer to have an i-pod touch that has same functionalities as the i-phone, but with no phone feature (and bills). And I download those personal emails when I bump into a free wi-fi spot.

Doc Simp
09-08-09, 01:54
That's the bad side of I-phone. As soon as you are out of your homecountry and home provider, you are at the mercy of wild rates. In that the Blackberry is unbeatable. I prefer to have an I-pod touch that has same functionalities as the I-phone, but with no phone feature (and bills). And I download those personal emails when I bump into a free wi-fi spot.Get skype and before you leave forward your cell calls to a skype number. Get skype on your iphone and anywhere there is wifi you can received the calls, which on avenida atlantica. There are alot of places. Also, consider jailbreaking the phone, getting a brazilian chip from TIM all incoming calls are free. Make people who call you from the states pay the toll.

Rodeo9112
09-08-09, 06:30
Is the term "garota" a derogatory term? I mean, if I use it for the word "woman" with a non-GDP Brazilian-American (male or female), would it be looked at with a raised eyebrow that I used that term or is it the exact same as "mulhere"?

Thanks.

Rodeo

El Austriaco
09-08-09, 19:42
Is the term "garota" a derogatory term? I mean, if I use it for the word "woman" with a non-GDP Brazilian-American (male or female), would it be looked at with a raised eyebrow that I used that term or is it the exact same as "mulhere"?

Thanks.

Rodeo
"Garota" means literally "girl", so no, I don't think it's derogatory at all. As opposed to "mulher", I think it's clear "garota" refers to a young woman, yes, so it's not exactly synonymous. But think about "Garota de Ipanema", de famous Tom Jobim song. I don't think that the songwriter, Vinícius de Moraes, actually one of the most highly acclaimed Brazilian poets of the 20st century, was to insinuate that they were singing about a prostitute.

EA

Dub624
09-09-09, 05:40
Gentlemen:

Many thanks in advance,

DaveWave

I took my unlocked jail broken iphone down in July. It is not on any U.S. based plan. I have skype and I made calls using WiFi. Used wifi in my apartment and on Avenida Atlantica. Surfed the net everything. I got a Tim card, but had a hard time getting it to work. I don't recommend them, but if you use Tim, don't pay until your phone is actually working. They will charge you for the card and don't guarantee it to work. No money back. If you have an iphone turn everything off...push...mail, anything that automatically updates. If you don't it will drain your minutes. To avoid all of these problems, get a cheap unlocked GSM phone from EBAY. Good luck.

Prosal
09-09-09, 09:40
Is the term "garota" a derogatory term?
Better say "menina". It's much classier. Or "moça".

Billy Irani
09-09-09, 09:50
Gents,

I wonder if you can help. I'm thinking of going to RJ in October. I prefer using agencies as opposed to many incalls and clubs.

So anyway, I mailed an agency called 'bellaspacompanhantes' to see what they would charge for me to spend three days with a girl. Their response was 900USD per day.

Am I right in thinking this is extortionate? What should I paying and would a request in Portuguese have made a difference?

Also, if anyone knows how I can go about getting someone for that many days, I'd appreciate the info.

Bill

Prosal
09-09-09, 09:53
Strange that no one here ever mentionned the excellent brasilian TV serie Mandrake.

Mandrake is a brilliant Criminal lawyer (and also a wine and cigars amateur, a womanizer and a one-night-stand maestro). His main line of work is dealing with the characters from Rio's underworld on behalf of his clients: wealthy people, or high middle class people, who find themselves entangled with this parallel reality, mainly for sex affairs.

Definitely one of the most brilliant TV serie ever done in Brasil. Interesting perspectives about the upper-classes in Rio and their dirty little secrets, lots of (soft) sex and tons of moças bonitas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68RWbBkPJ1w&feature=related

Some episodes synopsis :

- A Playboy falls for a prostitute and hires Mandrake to negotiate her "release" from the brothel where she works.

- When the nymphomaniac girlfriend of an Argentine pop star vanishes in the city, Mandrake is hired to find the girl.

- A famous stylist is blackmailed by an anonymous who threatens to expose his eccentric sex life.

- A colleague calls Mandrake to handle an emergency in an orgy at a millionaire's mansion involving prominent people.

- In search of a friend's niece turned call girl that went missing, Mandrake goes to Brasilia and investigates a bizarre sect headed by an influential politician.

- When an old friend gets blackmailed and indicted for corrupting minors, Mandrake investigates and uncovers unsuspected secrets.

Ect, ect ..

Here is the official site : http://www.hbo-br.tv/mandrake/

The whole serie is downloadable on Vuze.

Sunset Strip
09-09-09, 19:56
Got it now. At first, I thought you were serious about this show having "cultural" value. LOL.

Then I realized you were informing us how lowbrow the show is.
Seems to be one of those shows intelligent people laugh at because the characters take things seriously in a show that is ultimately simple and formulaic.
Most Brazilians in my educational range (JD,PhD, or MD) do not watch TV at all because there is so little quality.

TJ

Strange that no one here ever mentionned the excellent brasilian TV serie Mandrake.

Mandrake is a brilliant Criminal lawyer (and also a wine and cigars amateur, a womanizer and a one-night-stand maestro). His main line of work is dealing with the characters from Rio's underworld on behalf of his clients: wealthy people, or high middle class people, who find themselves entangled with this parallel reality, mainly for sex affairs.

Definitely one of the most brilliant TV serie ever done in Brasil. Interesting perspectives about the upper-classes in Rio and their dirty little secrets, lots of (soft) sex and tons of moças bonitas.

Some episodes synopsis :

- A Playboy falls for a prostitute and hires Mandrake to negotiate her "release" from the brothel where she works.

- When the nymphomaniac girlfriend of an Argentine pop star vanishes in the city, Mandrake is hired to find the girl.

- A famous stylist is blackmailed by an anonymous who threatens to expose his eccentric sex life.

- A colleague calls Mandrake to handle an emergency in an orgy at a millionaire's mansion involving prominent people.

- In search of a friend's niece turned call girl that went missing, Mandrake goes to Brasilia and investigates a bizarre sect headed by an influential politician.

- When an old friend gets blackmailed and indicted for corrupting minors, Mandrake investigates and uncovers unsuspected secrets.

Ect, ect ..

Prosal
09-09-09, 22:37
I realized you were informing us how lowbrow the show is. Seems to be one of those shows intelligent people laugh at because the characters take things seriously in a show that is ultimately simple and formulaic. Most Brazilians in my educational range do not watch TV at all because there is so little quality
Oh well.

Another know-it-all hardcore woremonger who doesn't know shit about this country and who has decided that it was his board by challenging with condescending attitudes everything that doesn't suits his tastes of culturally unaware cheap-sex-tourist-in-Copacabana.

Just a question Bubba : where have you met those "brasilians in your educational range" ..in Help? ..in VM?...in Tijuana brothels ? ..or in your rural Iowa white trash trailer park?

Do you even gibber two words of portuguese ?

Anyhow despite what you wrongly state, Mandrake was met with great enthusiasm by critics. For your information it was adapted from the character created by Rubem Fonseca, known for his sharp analysis of Rio de Janeiro's diverse society, who won the Camoes Prize, considered to be the most important Novel Award in Brasil.

Rio Bob
09-09-09, 23:40

Thanks for the heads up on what looks like a very entertaining show, I am going to check it out.

Rio Bob
09-09-09, 23:42
Most Brazilians in my educational range do not watch TV at all because there is so little quality.

TJ

Maybe they don't have a TV in that educational range?

Rio Bob
09-09-09, 23:47
Better say "menina". It's much classier. Or "moça".

Yeah, Moca is good, Garota is more equivalent to what we call Chick.

Sunset Strip
09-10-09, 01:02
Maybe they don't have a TV in that educational range?
By the way, it is well known in certain circles that highly educated people often do not own televisions. So it is safe to assume that the intelligensia in Brazil may not have TVs.

Ironically, I was just speaking with a Brazilian woman two days ago and she said she has not owned a TV in years. This is very common amongst the educated classes in all nations.

These are the only types of Brazilians I associate with in the US, so I can only speak from that experience.

Again, I spend my days with certain types of people and often do not understand people's posts on the ISG. If that guy was serious about the Mandrake show then sorry, I did not mean to offend.

In fact, I may attempt to write an episode myself to sell to them and make some dollars for a couple of trips to Rio!

TJ

Member #3439
09-10-09, 04:55
Again, I spend my days with certain types of people and often do not understand people's posts on the ISG. If that guy was serious about the Mandrake show then sorry, I did not mean to offend.

TJTJ,

I've taken little excerpts from Prosal's episode summaries and shown how the plots tie into ISG themes, and why the post about the show is relevant and interesting for most people, including me.

As for 'certain' types of people. Let's be real. I also spend my time with 'certain types' like well-read and bred Ph. D's. If they are sure that their wives, preachers, or bosses won't find out, they are no different than any other person. Drinking cheap beer, watching trash TV, paying to have sex with women who maybe never even attended school at all; girls would think that fine art is something that her real boyfriend stole and sold for money when she didn't find enough highly educated and cultured non-TV watching gringos to fuck her last week at the termas. Do you see the irony? . As men, we all enjoy trashy stuff to some extent regardless of how well we've been trained and educated to do otherwise. In fact, it sounds like that is the point that the show is making.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-.A Playboy falls for a prostitute.[ISG member meets a pro and pulls TLN]

-.Nymphomaniac girlfriend. [we all want one, or 10]

- Eccentric sex life. [half a world from home and having crazy sex with hot women you just met, several per day. Not a normal activity for 99.999% of the population]

- An orgy. [calling in the agency girls for a party]

- Call girl that went missing. [termas girl doesn't show up the next day as promised]

Cho 637
09-10-09, 09:38

Some episodes synopsis :

Ect, ect ..

It was shown several months ago as a special showing on HBO. It was at the same time that they showed the Sexo Urbano series.

Redsox911
09-10-09, 22:52
Hey Guys,

Just inquiring if 3K USD would be sufficient for a 10 day stay in Rio? I plan on visiting Termas as well as having escorts from agencies come to my apartment. I'm guessing 15 sessions overall in 10 days, maybe less. Not sure if I'll be pulling anything out of Help but we'll see.

Any info or pointers would be appreciated.

RS

One Eyed Man
09-11-09, 04:06
Strange that no one here ever mentionned the excellent brasilian TV serie Mandrake. .... The whole serie is downloadable on Vuze.

And there's that HBO series Alice that takes place in São Paulo: lots of nudity. I would like to get DVDs, but it's not out yet (though available on the Internet, if you know where to look.) HBO Latino is showing it here, but inexplicably dubbed in Spanish!

I'll have to look into this Vuze thing...

Hughdad
09-11-09, 14:19
Hey Guys,

Just inquiring if 3K USD would be sufficient for a 10 day stay in Rio? I plan on visiting Termas as well as having escorts from agencies come to my apartment. I'm guessing 15 sessions overall in 10 days, maybe less. Not sure if I'll be pulling anything out of Help but we'll see.

RS3K = approx R$5400. Agency escorts = R$120 or more for 2 hours (plus taxi). Termas = approx R$300 per session (or more depending on drinks, time, # of ladies). You can do the math from there to start.

Much info can be obtained by reading the Bubba Report thread and by going through these other threads as pricing and options are discussed at length. Can save you alot of money to do some research here on your own. And can give you some great pointers on what to prioritize and what to avoid.

The Cane
09-11-09, 17:52
Hey Guys,

RS

Ten day trips are usually what I take to Rio, and normally $3 grand has been MORE than enough for the 10 days. And I'll often do around 20 sessions over that period of time. Plus food, drinks, taxis, entrance fees, etc. You can do it on $3,000. That excludes airfare and lodging, which you should already have covered before your plane takes to the air. That way, all you have to do is enjoy when you get there. I will add, though, that with the exchange rate being what it is, you may want to take a little more . . . like maybe $3,200. You want to be able to spend R600 a day minimum. Not that you will actually spend that much each and every day . . . some days you will spend less and some days more . . . average it out . . . but just make sure you build in a sufficient minimum daily amount of money to have on hand. That way, you won't have any worries about running out of funds during your trip. Of course, everybody plays it differently. But since you said 10 days, and since that's how long I usually stay, I thought I would share something about how I budget for that same period of time. Enjoy your trip!

JohnnyBraz
09-11-09, 20:10
Hey Guys,

RSAs a rule in Rio I go on (at present rate) around550 us (1000r per day) a day spending money. After accomodation and airfares. But out off that in a month trip I will probably go to vips 5 or 6 times and get the amaze, millenium, hightech suite etc. I also do not touch the trash at mp.

Bravo
09-11-09, 20:41
I agree with ThickCane, I try to average about 300 bucks a day for my vacations. With the rate down to 1.80R, I might even add another 50 bucks a day to that amount.

Redsox911
09-12-09, 01:08
Thanks for the responses, I was just looking to get a "roundabout" figure and 3K or a bit more figures to work out ok. I'll still continue my deeper research into it.

Thanks again Gents!

Redsox911
09-12-09, 01:45
*The Office*

Av Aires Saldanha #92 A, Copacabana.
http://www.theoffice-sportsbar-restaurant-brasil.com/

Run by a very friendly hat wearing rogue Australian who I like very much. Great place to watch American sport on the weekends. Always American football on Sat and Sun and sometimes other days. During the week many semi well off locals go to enjoy the live bands and to have a good time, great atmosphere and mix of gringos-locals. Need to book a table on Friday nights. Meals range from R15 for breakfast to R20-R40 for dinner. Beer is about R4, juice R4. In the small street behind directly behind Help. If you do take a girl there make sure she is not dressed like a "help" girl, respectful casual dress is the code. You can check email for free after a meal. Minimum consumption R10. This is my "Office" when in Rio.

NB: They have a WiFi internet hot spot throughout the restaurant with a number of power outlets close to each table/booth.I found this is Bubba's 2006 guide and am wondering if it's still open or if there's other places like it in Rio. I gotta see my Pats while I'm in town!

Bimbo Boy
09-12-09, 13:50
I know it hurts. I travel a lot, so I frequently have over 600 to 700 USD phone bills. Telecom companies are modern day bandits!

The solution is to lok off the data roaming function. Link to wifi spots (Copacabana beach, hotels), and use Skype or Truphone over the Wifi. The problem is that from Skype to landline or cellphones, the voice quality is not great. From Skype to Skype it is excellent.

JohnnyBraz
09-12-09, 21:39
I found this is Bubba's 2006 guide and am wondering if it's still open or if there's other places like it in Rio. I gotta see my Pats while I'm in town!John sold the office about a year ago. He now relaxes and spends most afternoons at balconey.

Geofagus
09-13-09, 04:35
Thanks for the responses, I was just looking to get a "roundabout" figure and 3K or a bit more figures to work out ok. I'll still continue my deeper research into it.

Thanks again Gents!

you will tend to spend more at the begining of your trip and have more energy to screw like an Olympic Athlete...with that said your spending on GDPs toward the end of your days will decrease.

Hughdad
09-13-09, 14:49
I know it hurts. I travel a lot, so I frequently have over 600 to 700 USD phone bills. Telecom companies are modern day bandits!

The solution is to lok off the data roaming function. Link to wifi spots (Copacabana beach, hotels), and use Skype or Truphone over the Wifi. The problem is that from Skype to landline or cellphones, the voice quality is not great. From Skype to Skype it is excellent.Thanks. I now use Skype from my laptop (voice and video calling using webcams) all the time for business and it is amazing - and FREE! I just switched over to the iphone for its' video demoing capabilities. I actually walk into a conference room with just the iphone and do presentations. I have not traveled abroad yet with the iphone and understand the limitations with AT&T and the iphone. But Skype now has a mobile application. I would assume I would still need to unlock my iphone to use Skype in Brazil correct? Even if I had no intention of using the AT&T iphone services abroad? I carry around a separate free Razr cellphone with a TIM card in Rio for the few calls I make/receive there. Otherwise I do all my business emailing and Internet access on my laptop. Any guidance is much appreciated as I was planning to investigate this soon for my upcoming trip. Best

Marcop 12
09-16-09, 19:07
I came across this new book whilst on UK amazon it states its a pre-order but might well be avaialble elsewhere. Books called.

"Favela: Four Decades of Living on the Edge in Rio De Janeiro"

Looks really good indepth real life view of favelas and living in a favela.

If anyone has any good books to recommend that would be great. I guess i prefer real life books, reality.

I just finished 'marching powder' highly recommended to those who havent read it, real life story of an english man locked up in an bolivian jail, who became a must see attraction in the south american lonley planet travellers guide, Great book! also read Pros & Cons advertised here, it was also good although not reality its got a gripping story bouts of mongering in DR and ISG mentions..Always on the look out of good books :)

"Admittedly of the beaten path of mongering but in the general section and the favela book looks good."

Jan 156
09-16-09, 21:42
If anyone has any good books to recommend that would be great. I guess i prefer real life books, reality.

A couple of books in English that are quite good:-

A Death in Brazil, by Peter Robb.

Samba by Alma Guillermoprieto.

Both quite easy to obtain. The first includes a wealth of detail about handling situations (the title possibly relates to getting out of being shot after the author discovers a thief in his apartment). It is also a manual of laidbackness for survival and communication that most of us foreigners can only aspire to. Goes from Copa to cities and locales less travelled - at which point it might flag a bit for you if you are only a Copa man.

The second is the story of a foreigner (a Latina though) who moves into a favela for an extended period of time to get to know (Rio) Carnaval from the inside, to be accepted by the ordinary faveladas as 'one of them.' Her journey is quite touching. (Details are slightly dated but human interaction and background on Carnaval is good.)

Both these books are non-fiction. They don't really touch on mongering. They do give you a deep inside feel for Brasil you won't get from tour guides. For the perceptive, they will definitely help you shed those gringo airs and graces and maybe find something a bit more 'authentic' in your approach. Which some people on here at least do seem to value.

Marcop 12
09-17-09, 00:00

Samba by Alma Guillermoprieto.

Both quite easy to obtain. The first includes a wealth of detail about handling situations (the title possibly relates to getting out of being shot after the author discovers a thief in his apartment). It is also a manual of laidbackness for survival and communication that most of us foreigners can only aspire to. Goes from Copa to cities and locales less travelled - at which point it might flag a bit for you if you are only a Copa man.

The second is the story of a foreigner (a Latina though) who moves into a favela for an extended period of time to get to know (Rio) Carnaval from the inside, to be accepted by the ordinary faveladas as 'one of them.' Her journey is quite touching. (Details are slightly dated but human interaction and background on Carnaval is good.)

Both these books are non-fiction. They don't really touch on mongering. They do give you a deep inside feel for Brasil you won't get from tour guides. For the perceptive, they will definitely help you shed those gringo airs and graces and maybe find something a bit more 'authentic' in your approach. Which some people on here at least do seem to value.Much appriciated, they sound great..
Just for information purposes i just purchaced second hand copys of these books from Amazon classed as used\good condition, the fisrt book Death in Brazil cost me 67p and the second book cost me 1 pence! As i also got free postage from Amazon, I love a bargain!

Questner
09-17-09, 05:34
Take a look at featured video at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/
2/hi/programmes/real_cities/cities/rio_de_janeiro/default.stm

Abzsafado
09-18-09, 18:35

An excellent book, very informative about the history of Brasil and good for pretending you give a shit when entertaining young ladies that aren't on the game.

Jan 156
09-19-09, 09:46
Where do garotas get those dramatic hissy fits from?

A lot of us, I suspect, have always believed the telenovas supplied the role models, the templates, the body language and histrionics, and even some of the scripts.

Statistics? I just came across this article that (amusingly) supports the idea that yes, telenovas still influence social behaviour.

soap, sex and sociology (http://www.economist.com/world/americas/displaystory.cfm?story_id=13278424).

ChicoBarca
09-19-09, 22:49
Hi Christopherd,

Don't you think that telenovas is a mirror of the sosiety itself, and by that the influence goes 2 ways. And not only one way.

Just a tought.

Greetings

Chico

Where do garotas get those dramatic hissy fits from?

A lot of us, I suspect, have always believed the telenovas supplied the role models, the templates, the body language and histrionics, and even some of the scripts.

Statistics? I just came across this article that (amusingly) supports the idea that yes, telenovas still influence social behaviour.

soap, sex and sociology (http://www.economist.com/world/americas/displaystory.cfm?story_id=13278424).

Jan 156
09-20-09, 00:18
Hi Christopherd,
Don't you think that telenovas is a mirror of the sosiety itself, and by that the influence goes 2 ways. And not only one way.
Just a tought.
Greetings
Chico
Personally? Not really. They're very simplistic. The audiences even prefer bad actors (as long as they look nice). The influence from society is more along the lines of which way the telenova plot should develop, and probably less so nowadays than in the past.

Sprite13
09-20-09, 06:39
Marco,
Another great book I would suggest you is "Rio de Janeiro" by Ruy Castro, a Carioca. It's beautifully written, very entertaining about the story of the Marvelous City from its earliest days. It goes deeply into the making of the city and has a very extensive section Carnaval and its origins, which is quite interesting. It's a small little book, the type that you can't put down until you're done with it and you easily finish it in a couple of days. Highly recommended.

Another classic, but a bit dated is The Brazilians, it's quite a big book, goes a good indepth analysis of Brasil, the society, the history and the politics. A must read to anyone truly interested into understanding Brasil. Again, the book is dated from 1994 but it's a very enlightening, informatve and entertaining read and puts into perspective some of the behaviours one encounters in Brasil on a daily basis. (I don't have the book handy at this moment so can't tell you the name of the author, but it's a big book, around 550 pages and with a colorful cover showing Guanabara Bay with the Corcovado and Pao de Acucar).

I

Sperto
09-20-09, 08:11
* One of my favourite brazilian authors is Jorge Amado. You should read "Gabriela, Cravo e Canela", "Tocaia Grande" and "Terras do Sem Fim". If you know Bahia you will enjoy his books very much.

* Euclides da Cunha's book "Os sertões" is excellent.

* Not one of my favourite authors, but still readable, is Machado de Assis.

* We must not forget Paulo Coelho. He has written a lot of good books. Maybe a monger would enjoy "Onze Minutos".

* João Ubaldo Ribeiro, "Viva o Povo Brasileiro". Interesting book.

Sprite13
09-20-09, 09:45
Os Sertoes is truly a classic, haven't read it yet, but is on my to read list.
As well as another mega Brasilian classic (Casa Grande e Senzala) a masterful study of the Brasilian society in the 1930's by Gilberto Freyre.

A guerra no fim do mundo is another classic.

Those 2 should keep you busy a good little while but they are very interesting.

Hitmanm3
09-20-09, 10:51
* One of my favourite brazilian authors is Jorge Amado. You should read "Gabriela, Cravo e Canela", "Tocaia Grande" and "Terras do Sem Fim". If you know Bahia you will enjoy his books very much.

* Euclides da Cunha's book "Os sertões" is excellent.

* Not one of my favourite authors, but still readable, is Machado de Assis.

* We must not forget Paulo Coelho. He has written a lot of good books. Maybe a monger would enjoy "Onze Minutos".

* João Ubaldo Ribeiro, "Viva o Povo Brasileiro". Interesting book.If you can could send me the list of books to my mail box, I am interested in reading some literature from Brasil.

Thanks buddy

Bimbo Boy
09-20-09, 13:41
But Skype now has a mobile application. I would assume I would still need to unlock my iphone to use Skype in Brazil correct? Even if I had no intention of using the AT&T iphone services abroad? ...
Yes, you can download Skype and Truphone mobile versions both for the Iphone and for Symbian (Nokia) phones. They work great!
I now do long international calls, talking on my Iphone, walking in my hotel room, over the Wifi. No need to unlock your phone, as no telecoms carrier is being used: only the Wifi.
Skype is free. Calls outside of the Skype network to landline or mobile phones are being charged, but the rate is 3 to 4 times cheaper than your phone operator.
Regards. B.B.

Sui Generis
09-20-09, 15:44
Os Sertoes is truly a classic, haven't read it yet, but is on my to read list.
As well as another mega Brasilian classic (Casa Grande e Senzala) a masterful study of the Brasilian society in the 1930's by Gilberto Freyre.

A guerra no fim do mundo is another classic.

Those 2 should keep you busy a good little while but they are very interesting.

Os sertoes is a difficult book to read. Not only you need an extensive knowledge of Brazil's history (the Canudos war for instance) but the style belongs to another era. Take for instance the opening chapter: it,s a long geographic description of the site where evolves the story. Well written but kind of tedious.

I prefer author of the modernist period, such as Oswaldo de Andrade (like his Memorias sentimentais de João Miramar) or books of Antônio Machado de Alcântara. My favorite one is Brás, Bexiga e Barra Funda which relates short stories of poor italians immigrants in these district of São Paulo.

For me the real masterpiece of Brazil literature is João Guimarães Rosa's Grande Sertão.

When it comes to contemporary authors, I like Rubem Fonseca, Patricia Melo, Tony Bellotto, or Luiz Alfredo Garcia-Rosa (these are detectives stories).

Last month, I've read Fonseca's Secreções, excreções e desatinos (contos, 2001). The title tells eveything...

When it comes to poetry Manuel Bandeira, João Cabral Melo Neto, Haroldo de Campos and Ivan Junqueira are my favorite one.

Hughdad
09-20-09, 15:50
Yes, you can download Skype and Truphone mobile versions both for the Iphone and for Symbian (Nokia) phones. They work great!

I now do long international calls, talking on my Iphone, walking in my hotel room, over the Wifi. No need to unlock your phone, as no telecoms carrier is being used: only the Wifi.

Skype is free. Calls outside of the Skype network to landline or mobile phones are being charged, but the rate is 3 to 4 times cheaper than your phone operator.
Regards. B.B.Thanks B. B., much appreciated. I have been using the Skype webcam video calling feature as I launch my new international business. What a great free service as I can connect with my colleagues in various offices around the world and do unlimited FREE video conferencing. Also great for personal use. Watching your friend's kids grow up in other countries, or watching a lady friend in another country do a little show for you! Some unique businesses are emerging around Skype (video dating, video language tutoring.)

I assume I still should shut off the data updating in the iphone when in Brazil. As it will not be needed for Skype usage. And this will eliminate those high fees.

Thanks again.

Sprite13
09-20-09, 21:47
Sui Generis,
You're right about Os Sertoes, I heard that too that it's not an easy read, but nonetheless a very good read.
Since you also mention short stories, a few years ago, I don't remember whether it was in Brasilia or Curitiba, but I picked up a wonderful book called
"Os cem melhores contos brasileiros do seculo" (The 100 best brasilian short stories of the century). It's a big book, about 600 pages, a collection of the best short stories from Brasil. A good read for anyone interested in learning more about the country and getting exposed to the different Brasilian writters's style of the past 100 years. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. All the classic authors have contributed to this collection (Rubem Fonseca, Clarice Lispector, Rubem Braga, Machado de Assis, Lima Barreto, Mario de Andrade etc...).
Thanks for your books suggestion, I will look for them.

Bravo
09-20-09, 22:16
After watchng the UFC last night, it occured to me that there must be thousands of fighters in the Rio area. Does anyone know where I can go to see some UFC style fighting in Rio?

Mangera
09-21-09, 00:11
Can anyone recommend any apartments rented by owner in or near the Centro area? Thanks!

Poucolouco
09-21-09, 02:23
After watchng the UFC last night, it occured to me that there must be thousands of fighters in the Rio area. Does anyone know where I can go to see some UFC style fighting in Rio?

If you do not get a specific answer to this, ask at Kise Sucos on the corner of Miguel Lemos and N.S. de Copacabana. They used to sponsor a local fighter.

Bimbo Boy
09-22-09, 00:06
... I assume I still should shut off the data updating in the iphone when in Brazil. As it will not be needed for Skype usage. And this will eliminate those high fees.
Thanks again.
Definitely. You must switch off the data updating on your iphone, otherwise you would be charged tens or even hundreds of dollars for a few emails, or a few looks to Google maps.
I know ... I paid the damned bills ...
B.B.

Rio Bob
09-23-09, 00:32
Brazil will be in a 'state of grace' if Rio hosts Games: Lula
(AFP) – 6 hours ago

NEW YORK — Brazil would enter a 'state of grace' should Rio de Janeiro become the first South American city to host the Olympics, said President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva here on Tuesday.

The 63-year-old - here for the United Nations General Assembly - said that Rio would try to convince the electorate of 100-plus International Olympic Committee (IOC) members in Copenhagen that they could offer more than their three rivals.

Chicago, Tokyo - the only one of the quartet to previously host the Olympics - and Madrid, third last time for the 2012 Games, are the other bid cities who will learn their fate on October 2.

"Brazil is convinced that Rio de Janeiro can offer just as much as the other three candidates, if not a little more," said Lula, who has been actively lobbying for the Games.

"For Brazil, the Olympic Games will be confirmation of the people's self-esteem.

"The Brazilian people are the most cheerful people in the world. Brazil will enter a state of grace if they are selected to host the Olympic Games."

Lula, president of Brazil since 2002 and re-elected in 2006, said that it would not just be a games for Rio.

"We are guaranteeing the participation of Brazilian society in the organisation of the Games," said Lula.

"We will show our extraordinary potential."

Lula, a twice married father of five whose first wife died, also took a swipe at the fact that the majority of Games had been held on just two continents.

"The Olympic Games should not just be European or North American Games, but for the entire world."

Hughdad
09-23-09, 12:39
The only way brazil gets it is if they pay off the committee more than other countries. It becomes a war of bribes and payoffs.And you have been a member of the Olympic Committee for how long?

Marcop 12
09-23-09, 20:26
I think this has been posted before but despite searching can't find the post.

I have made change of plans and having couple uplanned days in Rio, only problem is it falls just before the revellion package deals and I'm going else where for revellion. So can't get hotel (which isn't too much of a problem) But my luggage is, Does anyone know secure lockers or somewhere I can leave my luggage for a couple of days?

I plan to just 'slum' it. In nosso or sinless for a couple of nights.

I've tried my usual hotels in Copa and apartment guys but due to the dates 27th\28th Dec they are saying falls on package, just a rip of and won't be staying in either hotel again, same hotel I checked in 26th and left 31st last year and no package deal issues and regularly stayed for past few years in same place, so appears packages start early now! I was underimpression was from 30th.

If any one had similar problem and managed to get hotel on decent rate would be much appriciated the info.

I'm also figuring trying closer to the date as yes all hotels\apartments will be booked for revellion but if someone booked from 30th or 31st might get lucky for the couple of days I need it. Worth trying for anyone in similar situation.

If all fails with luggage stash and hotel will just have to miss out on some action and go straight to revellion destination. Well a delay for a week or so anyways.

Hughdad
09-24-09, 11:26
So your saying the committee system is not corrupt? The country who gives out the most payolla will get it. Brazil is used to getting bribes now lets see if they like it the other way.What I am saying is it is so easy for someone like you that has zero connection to the IOC to make claims about corruption. Yes, there is some degree of corruption in politics everywhere - and certainly the government in Brazil has had its' share.

But I am sure you have no first-hand knowledge or experience in the workings of the IOC. Sure, the bidding countries lavish the committee members with amazing trips, outtings and parties when they are touring their cities in hopes of winning the bid. But, with the heavy oversight of the IOC it would be damn near impossible for a host city to bribe their way to get the Olympic games. There are just so many other considerations. The fact of the matter is that the Rio committee did an amazing job of putting together a stunning master plan for hosting and running the 2016 games. A plan that would transform Rio, and serve to promote the amazing transformation that is taking place as Brazil ascends on the world stage. Perhaps you think so little of the committee's work that you believe the only way they can land the games is to buy them. Or perhaps you never took the time to reveiew their plans. Or perhaps you are simply a conspiracy theory guy that believes everything is corrupt - and there is no place in the world for rewarding those that have vision, work relentlessly hard and look to do things the right way.

So, what I am saying is either you present your proof that the IOC will take a bribe to grant the 2016 Games to a city or stop making your claims.

Exec Talent
09-25-09, 09:36
Its also easy for someone to defend an organization that is so vile and utterly corrupt. I dont have have to show proof but maybe you can proof they are not. Rio cant even help their own people so what kind of vision is that? A vision to make the undeserving superrich richer. So I really dont accept your labels as conspiracy theory guy because its usually someone that goes along with the status quo aka the good old boy system that makes those kind of snickering remarks.

The ioc is utterly corrupt and vile organization of ruthless corrupt thugs.
Superman vs Batman?

Maybe you should read Mitt Romney's book Turnaround on how he lead the effort to cleanup the IOC.

Sperto
09-25-09, 10:15
They also have a beach with escorts but I forgot the name. Search the internet for it.
I think it might be Cococabana.
It has been mentioned here before.

Hughdad
09-25-09, 16:06
Its also easy for someone to defend an organization that is so vile and utterly corrupt. I dont have have to show proof but maybe you can proof they are not. Rio cant even help their own people so what kind of vision is that? A vision to make the undeserving superrich richer. So I really dont accept your labels as conspiracy theory guy because its usually someone that goes along with the status quo aka the good old boy system that makes those kind of snickering remarks.

The ioc is utterly corrupt and vile organization of ruthless corrupt thugs.I am not defending the IOC, I am taking issue with your claim the Olympics game can be simply sold to the country that makes the highest bribe. It is such a broad and simple statement. There are just too many other considerations - and far more oversight than in the past - factored into the decision. And you also just entirely dismiss all the hard work that the city committees do in developing plans that not only can support the games - but using the preparation for the games to create a long-term better world for its' citizens post-Olympics. If you noticed, I acknowledged in my post that corruption is everywhere in politics. It certainly plays a big role in everyday US politics in the form of PACs, special interest lobbying groups, etc.

But that is not what is really important here. Who cares about the IOC. As far as vision goes - do you not have any vision beyond what you see as you walk the streets of Rio today. Do you not see that the Olympics creates many, many jobs for many years in many sectors (construction, transportation, hospitality, engineering, etc.) Do you not see that the games can create opportunities for many to better themselves if they want. Do you not see that the games can unify and lift the spirit of a city/country, and elevate it even more on the world stage. Brazil is becoming a major player on the world stage - this could be a major catalyst to fostering and accelerating further growth and change. Sure, it will create many more opportunities for the rich to get richer too. And foreign investments will pour in (even more than now.) But I know some guys that had start-up companies in Salt Lake City and LA that put their companies on the map because of the opportunities to work on Olympic projects there. Normal guys that saw the opportunity and made small fortunes.

Yes, Rio would change forever. Change is happening and this would certainly accelerate it. If you looked at the master plan you could see what a post-Olympics Rio would look like - and this could transform it and improve the lives of many. Of course, many of the bargain basement mongers on this site may not like some of the changes that it could bring.

Or you can simply take the position that everything in Brazil is corrupt and poor and why should anyone try to improve anything. What good does that defeatous attitude do anyone? Sure the good ole' boys will always continue to get fatter everywhere in the world. But the opportunities for all will be greatly enhanced. Can we agree on that?

Hughdad
09-25-09, 17:06
They have the Olympic Committees seeing what's going on.

Chicago needs the Olympics worse. Maybe they would have something like the Terma in Chicago if they get the Olympics in 2016.

Rio is not that bad. I have been there one time, I'd go back.

The termas are good. They have a shower and you wear a robe into the night club area. The girls wear bikinis. Then you buy drinks and chat and you can pick a girl. Some dance and some sit around.

You go to a room for maybe 200 reals. You can pay for more time or get another girl.

Then they have razors.

I have been to Monte Carlo and Centaurus. Monte Carlo is preferred.

Once you get back to the USA it is a *****, you crave more.

They have a night club named Help. It is a regular night club and they have many ladies there. I would be cautious taking the girl out. Maybe go to the hotel instead of your apartment. They might get interested in your belongings, know what I'm saying.

They also have lounges with many ladies available. You sit and get drinks and then negotiate a price. Barbarella's is very good. I think the other lounge I went to was Frank's. They have several others.

They claim to have live sex shows but I have never seen one. I walked into a club, they said it was going on but I didn't catch it.

The hotels are nice. I would ask the girl or taxi to recommend a hotel.

It is usually better for an hourly hotel.

Maybe in Chicago they would have the same for 2016.

You can set up sex parties with 8 or 10 girls or more. I do not know the price, I have never done it. You rent a room and order the girls from the escort services.

They also have a beach with escorts but I forgot the name. Search the internet for it."And you - Lee Harvey - that story about the sheep. I want to party with you cowboy...."

Poucolouco
09-25-09, 19:25
They also have a beach with escorts but I forgot the name. Search the internet for it.

Praia das Putas??

Eros74
09-25-09, 22:05
I keep on posting something that maybe it is not new for the expert here, but that can be good for the others.

Aipo Aipim
It is food for weight, there are 2 or 3 in nossa senhora de copacabana, I was used to eat there daily. For me it has great food and if I remember well it is 3,2 reais every 100 gr, so far as I eat from 1 till 1,2 kg, with drinks I ended to pay something close to 40 reais. I thought it was the best one till my buddy did not show me the second one:

Monchique
It became my favourite one, cause you pay 22 reais and it is all you can eat. Basically it has the same food of Aipo, despite the fruits, but you have also churrascaria included, it means all the meat you want and good ones. I went there daily and I always spend something about 26-28 reais, so much cheaper than Aipo and think that if you stay in Rio one month you will save about 300 reais for same stuff....

Siqueira Grill
The same as Aipo, but a bit more expensive for same stuff.

Capricciosa
High price, but it is where I got the best pizza in all the Brazil, so I will surely go there again next time.

Porcao
Very famous one, at the entrance you see many photos of famous people that maybe went there. Tom Cruise, Ronaldo and many others.
All you can eat churrascaria and buffet without dessert you pay 69 reais ( at least the one in Ipanema ), but it is pretty overcharged cause even if inside looks really nice, basically you end to eat the more or less same stuff as Monchique for almost 350% higher price.
Yes maybe the food looks a bit different, but once you taste, it is the same.
I went there just for curiosity and it was my first and last time, unless I will have to go out with a girl.

Marius
I love fish, so even if it is very expensive, all you can eat fish with all included but drinks is 166 reais, it worth to see at least once.
Now last week it really disappointed me, in january I went there twice, cause the buffet of fishes was much smaller and also the fishes the take to your table were very little choice.
My bill was 166+ 5 reais (1 beer ) + 4 reais ( one coffee ) + 21 reais for service and this really pissed me off !!!
So the bill was 196 reais, it means with the same money of Marius you eat almost 8 times at Monchique.
I am not cheap when I am in holiday, but I prefer to save money with everything but pussy and I guess next time I will cook fish in my kitchen, spending much less and maybe for even better results.

I hope it helps :)

P.S. Two questions:

-Now a question, when you see service in the bill, as the 21 reais at Marius, you can easily avoid to pay it or not ?

-If I want another option where to eat fish, good fish, where I can go, so far at Marius they will never see me again ?

Hughdad
09-25-09, 23:39
Marius,

I love fish, so even if it is very expensive, all you can eat fish with all included but drinks is 166 reais, it worth to see at least once.

Now last week it really disappointed me, in january I went there twice, cause the buffet of fishes was much smaller and also the fishes the take to your table were very little choice.

My bill was 166+ 5 reais (1 beer ) + 4 reais ( one coffee ) + 21 reais for service and this really pissed me off!

So the bill was 196 reais, it means with the same money of Marius you eat almost 8 times at Monchique.Yes, Marius is really expensive. I went there for lunch with a special GDP friend. They also tried to pad my bill for the bread they brought out first (which we did not eat.) The atmosphere was nice and fun (the bathroom is really funky). My lady friend had never been there and always wanted to go so I surprised her one afternoon. She was so happy and she slowly savored every bite. She ate more lobster than I ever witnessed one person eat during one setting. (How do some of these slim, sexy ladies eat so much?!) It was such a turn-on just watching her eat (it helped that she was rubbing my crotch with her foot). She enjoyed herself so much she hung out with the rest of the day and night. So while I spent nearly R$400 for both of us with drinks and dessert for her, I ended up having a great GFE situation and having tons of great sex. I swear her pussy tasted like lobster with drawn butter (I should have wore a lobster bib I did DATY so long!)

Amerioca
09-26-09, 06:13
A few months ago, a dinner at Monchique gave me the runs. It was f#$king bad. I was to leave that night, however, the plane had mech problems. Good thing! It hit me at the hotel where the airline put me up. Man o man, if i would have flown, my seat assignment would have been WC.

It has been 4 or 5 years since I last visited Marius. I do remember spending approx. R$400 for myself, and date. That was back when we got R$2.5+ per USD. Love the seafood there. Nice place.

Rio Bob
09-26-09, 06:19
P.S. Two questions:

-If I want another option where to eat fish, good fish, where I can go, so far at Marius they will never see me again ?

Try this:

Shirley

Cuisine Spanish

Hours Daily 11am-midnight

Address Rua Gustavo Sampaio 620

Location Leme, Copacabana

Transportation Metrô: Integração. Bus from Metrô: Cardeal Arcoverde to Leme or bus 472

Phone 021/2275-1398

Prices Main courses R$26-R$56 (US$13-US$28/£7-£15); most are for 2 people

Credit Cards No credit cards

Read more: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/riodejaneiro/D58439.html#ixzz0SBeDxd8x

The Watcher
09-26-09, 07:52
Try this:

Shirley

I have been eating at Shirley's for many years. Very good seafood at reasonable prices.

Exec Talent
09-26-09, 08:45
Yes, Marius is really expensive. I went there for lunch with a special GDP friend. They also tried to pad my bill for the bread they brought out first (which we did not eat.)
At most restaurants in Rio (Carretão is one exception), there often is a charge for that little basket of bread and such that they bring before the meal (couvert). If you do not speak Portuguese and can ask if it is included in the price of your meal and you do not want to pay for it, wave your finger (no not that one - your index finger) back and forth and say não. The waiter will take it away. When paying review the bill and make sure you were not charged.

Hughdad
09-26-09, 09:43
At most restaurants in Rio (Carretão is one exception), there often is a charge for that little basket of bread and such that they bring before the meal (couvert). If you do not speak Portuguese and can ask if it is included in the price of your meal and you do not want to pay for it, wave your finger (no not that one - your index finger) back and forth and say não. The waiter will take it away. When paying review the bill and make sure you were not charged.Exactly, we refused the bread and they still tried to pad the bill for it.

Buscemi
09-26-09, 15:05
Yes, Marius is really expensive.

That is an understatement, It is worth trying once!
Glad you enjoyed your meal, but I personally would not take a GDP for a R400 lunch@ Marius.

Jan 156
09-26-09, 15:19
Do try to get off the tourist trail restaurants if you have time. There are many wonderful eating places, for instance, in Botafogo, Flamengo, and Botanico to discover that aren't in the guide books. It also means you get your GDP (if she looks respectable and you have an acceptable level of social chemistry) out of the meat-market trail where she is displayed and can report back on how much you spent on her. Most GDPs know those places that are in every guide book, almost like a badge of honour. In fact it may probably be the only bit of those locales she's ever seen. Get her out of the hamster wheel resorts and you'll discover a whole different side of her (assuming that's what you are interested in). :)

Hughdad
09-26-09, 16:26
That is an understatement, It is worth trying once!
Glad you enjoyed your meal, but I personally would not take a GDP for a R400 lunch@ Marius.Yeah, she's a GDP but she's become more of a cool party buddy. She's introduced me to some friends of her's (including having one join us a few times in bed). She's taken me out to bars and to listen to music. I made her dinner a few times in my apartment. She's also helped me translate some things for some meetings I had. I treated her to Marius for her birthday - and I wanted to check it out myself as I heard alot about it and was in Rio by myself. We ate so much at lunch that we did not need dinner and we were both full the next morning.

But think about this: I spent about R$200 on her meal, drinks and dessert and I got a whole afternoon and evening of her fun company afterwards at the beach and back in my apartment - and unlimited sex - all for free. What does that equate to: R$15/hour or R$50 per pop? Of course, that is if you are thinking about purely in monetary terms. Many guys here spend that (or more) for a few hours with someone they pull from Help. So still a bargain if you want to view it that way.

But I view it as a great day at the beach and in bed. One of the best days I've ever had in Rio - and that is saying something.

Hughdad
09-26-09, 16:30
Do try to get off the tourist trail restaurants if you have time. There are many wonderful eating places, for instance, in Botafogo, Flamengo, and Botanico to discover that aren't in the guide books. It also means you get your GDP (if she looks respectable and you have an acceptable level of social chemistry) out of the meat-market trail where she is displayed and can report back on how much you spent on her. Most GDPs know those places that are in every guide book, almost like a badge of honour. In fact it may probably be the only bit of those locales she's ever seen. Get her out of the hamster wheel resorts and you'll discover a whole different side of her (assuming that's what you are interested in). :)Yes, definately interested in venturing out more and visiting some of the "local" restaurants and bars mentioned here. That Shirley's sounds great. I've visited Centro a lot last trip. I would not go to Marius a second time. I prefer the out-of-the-way places that locals like when I travel.

Thanks

FoxesHunter
09-26-09, 17:23
Hi, I'd like to know your experience. If you know as Colombia as Brazil, could tell me what is more expensive? Are girls in Brazil hotter than Colombia?
Thanks

El Greco
09-26-09, 20:02
Hi, I'd like to know your experience. If you know as Colombia as Brazil, could tell me what is more expensive? Are girls in Brazil hotter than Colombia?
Thanks

Colombia is much cheaper than Brasil. I found prices there to be similar to the Buenos Aires ones.

IMO girls in Brasil hotter than Colombianas. It's more common to get PSE in Brasil than Colombia.

Colombianas have prettier faces and larger boobs on average than Brasileirinhas. But not too many mulatas there. Only Triquenas.

Lorenzo
09-26-09, 20:36
How do some of these slim, sexy ladies eat so much?
It's called bulimia. Does she go into the bathroom within a half hour after eating? That is usually a clue.

Eros74
09-26-09, 23:54
Hughdad instead of bread plate, last time at Marius they charged me the dessert when I thought it was all included, as indeed, this time was, so I guess they low a bit the price, maybe cause september is low season and not much customer or for the crisi too.
Maybe I will not take a GDP there, but one regular one, who knows...zero zero had more than one that I will not regret to have close to me even at Marius :)

Amerioca thanks for sharing, do you think it is due to low quality of food at Monchique ? Cause what you had, can happens in Brazil. I was afraid at Marius, as oysters, but luckily nothing happens.

Sangue Bon thanks too, next time I will go for sure to Shirley, mainly cause I still never been to Leme and it is in my plan during my third time to Rio to explore as much as I can out of copa.

So I agree with Christopherd too, I am a bit lazy, specially if I am in holiday for short period as this time, 11 days, but I am sure there are tons of restaurants good for quality and price that you will not find in lonely planet.
I guess only when you go out of copa you start to discover the real Rio and to see how do they look like cariocas.

About this, so far as we are in general info, I was surprised to see ipanema this time, it looks for a second timer as me, so much different from copa, it seems a distric of only building and apartments with almost no internet cafe, juice shop, laundry and so on that I had the feeling if you live there, you almost need a car. For the lack of bars and restaurants in avenida atlantica looks to me as boring in comparison to copa, where it is seems much more practical as every next door you find all you need.

But on opposite side, ipanema to me looks much much more elegant and class than copa, with almost no gringo.
So close to copa, but it seems another city, so I am asking now, how many of you actually in Rio stay in copa and how many stay in ipanema ?
I have the feeling, but I know I can be totally wrong, where in copa you almost never meet regular girls in ipanema you never meet pros.
Anybody who would like to share some POV about stay or living in ipanema VS copa ?

Thanks in advance guys.

Exec Talent
09-27-09, 00:00
Brazil VP says country should build nuclear arms.

This is weird. Article just posted today.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9AUCIKG0&show_article=1
The Brazilian Constitution only allows nuclear energy for peaceful purposes.

Jan 156
09-27-09, 00:29
Hughdad instead of bread plate, last time at Marius they charged me the dessert when I thought it was all included, as indeed, this time was, so I guess they low a bit the price, maybe cause september is low season and not much customer or for the crisi too.
Maybe I will not take a GDP there, but one regular one, who knows...zero zero had more than one that I will not regret to have close to me even at Marius :)
Although the bread thing is common and it's best to ask, since overcharging at tourist traps like Marius is also common.

I was afraid at Marius, as oysters, but luckily nothing happens.You'll get fabulous oysters here (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?cid=4798401437989909330&q=restaurants+gourmet&hl=en) and without the pomp and circumstance. btw this restaurant IMHO is in a different class to other ones in the chain (such as the one in Copa, which personally I wouldn't touch).

next time I will go for sure to Shirley, mainly cause I still never been to Leme and it is in my plan during my third time to Rio to explore as much as I can out of copa.Easy walking distance but there are a great number of decent restaurants round there. Personally I have always been disappointed with the quality of the very-hyped food in Shirleys. It can also be rather crowded. I think the reviews in LonelyPlanet etc are very old. But having said that it still has a good following so maybe I am consistently unlucky or spoilt by places where there's room to change your mind without fighting past cramped tables to go outside. Leme is nice and compact. You can explore the nice shops, do the beach, check out which restaurants look appealing and make a reservation if needed. Quite a few have live music ranging from contemporary to classical.

It seems a distric of only building and apartments with almost no internet cafe, juice shop, laundry and so on that I had the feeling if you live there, you almost need a car. For the lack of bars and restaurants in avenida atlantica looks to me as boring in comparison to copa, where it is seems much more practical as every next door you find all you need.

But on opposite side, ipanema to me looks much much more elegant and class than copa, with almost no gringo.
So close to copa, but it seems another city, so I am asking now, how many of you actually in Rio stay in copa and how many stay in ipanema ? . . . where in copa you almost never meet regular girls in ipanema you never meet pros.
Ipa does have all of that but is definitely more upmarket and not quite so 'built for tourists' as Copa now is. I have had aching feet many a day in Ipa. The transport is bad, the roads get clogged, and it is further and much more hassle to get to places I want to go to towards Centro. But the beach is nicer. The view is mostly nicer. It's cleaner. It's easier to meet educated people. And women do not feel quite so forced (as they do in Copa) to walk around with a badge on their forehead constantly proving and proclaiming, to anyone who wonders, that they are not a prostitute.

Hughdad
09-27-09, 00:47
It's called bulimia. Does she go into the bathroom within a half hour after eating? That is usually a clue.You ever know anyone that had bulimia? It is a very horrible and tragic disease.

Eros74
09-27-09, 00:50
thanks again for the speed of answer christopherd ;)

estação gourmet is in my list of things to try next time, funny enough as i went back home just couple of days ago and i cannot wait to go back....it seems saudade took a bit of time to born in my heart....

and it was enough just two times in rio to make me so "hungry" and curious to everything that is not full of turists, i am pretty sure i yet did not see the best part of cidade maravilhosa.

leme for example, in january i lived close to prado junior for 2 months, so close to leme and never been there neither once. i have the feeling that if you not "pay attention" you really risk to end always to the same places, terma late afternoon after beach and help at night and that 99% of turist know nothing about the real rio where as "real rio" i mean place not full of pros.

i am happy i learned from my mistakes in january, when i was in hurry, after 2 months spent in russia, to find only top notch girls without take it all easy, slow down, relax and enjoy the difference that brazil has in comparison to russia.

a week ago, thank to speaking basic portuguese, feeling better cause i know a bit more the city, that btw looked to me a bit smaller than the first time, dressing almost as brazilian one....all this gave me the chance to real taste and enjoy rio and it is only the beginning as i only saw the potencial of this city, but indeed i still saw almost nothing.

chris you are right, ipa much more cleaner and nicer and maybe even the regular girl are a bit more approachable than the ones in copa, that for the fear to be taken as pros, they pay attention to even answer to an innocent smile if did by a turist.

so my goal for the next trip is to date a normal girl and to really slow down with terma and terma and with pros. at the end is what i do here in europe and in my home town, to use pros only as last chance not as ordinary thing to.....have a shower together a nice girl i like ;)

Azn Safado
09-27-09, 01:41
So close to copa, but it seems another city, so I am asking now, how many of you actually in Rio stay in copa and how many stay in ipanema ?
I have the feeling, but I know I can be totally wrong, where in copa you almost never meet regular girls in ipanema you never meet pros.
Anybody who would like to share some POV about stay or living in ipanema VS copa ?

Thanks in advance guys.
I have made 7 trips to Rio, and on my 7th trip finally stayed in Ipanema (vs Copa) because my buddy wanted to stay there. I was pretty unfamiliar with the Ipanema area, as I had only gone there a few times to eat and go to the beach. But since I was able to finally stay there for a week, I really liked it.

Pros:
1) It is pretty clean there, and there are so many beautiful women walking around. I hardly see that in Copa.
2) Much quieter than Copa. I could actually sleep peacefully every night because there was little noise from traffic and late night revelers. In Copa, no matter where I have stayed, it just has always been so noisy.
3) Nicer beach in my opinion, with better looking garotas
4) Plenty of nice restaurants, especially if you like sushi
5) Plenty of bus stops. Well, this isn't really a pro, but a nice surprise. I thought getting around might be a problem, but there were a good number of bus stops and it only took me 10-15 minutes to get to MC or Luomo by bus, and 20 minutes to Solarium.
6) Apartment standards are higher. Of course, with that comes cost. I was able to pay R$130 (R$260/2 persons) a night for a nice place with Internet and gas heater for water, but that's because it was a 2-bedroom where I could split the cost.

Cons:
1) It is further away from the Subway metro, so it's a hassle to go to Centro. I ended up taking the bus to Cantagalo station and then taking the subway to Centro. Extra R$2,20 bus fare cost each way. I also took the bus all the way to Centro once, but there were just way too many stops that it took like an hour.
2) Not as many small restaurants and juice bars as Copa
3) Most places seem to shut down by midnight, which sucks because I always have the late night munchies. There were still a couple of juice bars open 24 hours
4) Almost no cambios around. I walked into one and they were giving a rate of 1.70 which was as bad as the airport. The cambio in Copa that I go to was giving 1.90 that day.

I have actually booked an apartment in Ipanema for my next trip at a cost within my budget (R$130 a night w/ Internet). I like Copa and have normally stayed in the Posto 2 area, but I want to experience a bit more of Ipanema and also get a better night's sleep this time.

Eros74
09-27-09, 02:21
Azn Safado thanks for your POV too.

I have time to decide where to stay, but I think for a short holiday, till 10-12 days, maybe it is more practical copa, longer holidays can be fine ipa too.

Luckily I have no problem to fall asleep even with noise streets ( it helps me to not sleep too long too ).

After reading your post, I bet next time you will be back to copa.

I agree about beaches, even the water seems to me better in ipa and I liked a lot that you wrote much better looking girls in ipa ;)

What always made for me a travel from a good experience to unforgettable one was the capability to stop to be a turist and to get inside normal life of the locals. It improves a lot your chance to score a regular one instead to pay all the times you are horny.

Using autobus is just an example, even if thanks to it in Ufa I was able to date a student and it was not bad lol.

From ipa to cantagalo is short time by bus to get then to centro and short too to get to rua seabra and to planetarium in gavea in weekend days ;)

It sucks a bit to have cambio in ipa at rates of airport, but again 4,40 reais of bus till copa and it is done.

130 reais with net is not bad for ipa I guess, so I am looking forward your next report.

Cheers

Mangera
09-27-09, 03:46
Azn Safado thanks for your POV too.

I have time to decide where to stay, but I think for a short holiday, till 10-12 days, maybe it is more practical copa, longer holidays can be fine ipa too.

Luckily I have no problem to fall asleep even with noise streets ( it helps me to not sleep too long too ).

After reading your post, I bet next time you will be back to copa.

I agree about beaches, even the water seems to me better in ipa and I liked a lot that you wrote much better looking girls in ipa ;)

What always made for me a travel from a good experience to unforgettable one was the capability to stop to be a turist and to get inside normal life of the locals. It improves a lot your chance to score a regular one instead to pay all the times you are horny.

Using autobus is just an example, even if thanks to it in Ufa I was able to date a student and it was not bad lol.

From ipa to cantagalo is short time by bus to get then to centro and short too to get to rua seabra and to planetarium in gavea in weekend days ;)

It sucks a bit to have cambio in ipa at rates of airport, but again 4,40 reais of bus till copa and it is done.

130 reais with net is not bad for ipa I guess, so I am looking forward your next report.

Cheers
Actually, the ocean water is better in the Copa side, as the canal between Ipanema and Leblon release human crap out to sea. As for the babes on the beach, thats a different story.

I get a tan in Ipanema, but I do not get into the water. Ask the locals, they will tell you.

Lorenzo
09-27-09, 05:53
You ever know anyone that had bulimia? It is a very horrible and tragic disease.
Yes, many, on a professional basis, and I have treated it professionally. Your assessment is absolutely correct. It can be, and has been, fatal.

Perkele
09-27-09, 12:28
Actually, the ocean water is better in the Copa side, as the canal between Ipanema and Leblon release human crap out to sea. As for the babes on the beach, thats a different story.

I get a tan in Ipanema, but I do not get into the water. Ask the locals, they will tell you.

One can argue over this quite a bit, but the fact is that the ocean water is extremely polluted everywhere in front of Rio de Janeiro. I wouldn't put my foot into that sewer.

If you do not believe, take a walk in the Copa fortress. Look the wake on the Copa side. See the foam and all that brown matter.... human waste.

Even in Barra da Tijuca and Recreio all shit is tunneled to the ocean.

Baia de Guanabara is WORST of them all.

One have to go quite a far from Rio to be able to swim without any worry.

Mangera
09-27-09, 16:16
One can argue over this quite a bit, but the fact is that the ocean water is extremely polluted everywhere in front of Rio de Janeiro. I wouldn't put my foot into that sewer.

If you do not believe, take a walk in the Copa fortress. Look the wake on the Copa side. See the foam and all that brown matter.... human waste.

Thats just another way of saying "same shit", which in this case it can be mean't literally as well :)

I never really go in the water, even though I hang out quite a bit by the beaches.

Sui Generis
09-27-09, 18:10
The last time I swam in the ocean (Copacabana beach) was in 1984. Even then you could notice a yellowish foam floating on the crests of the waves.

You have to go relatively far from Rio in order to find clean beaches.

As I hobby almost exclusively in São Paulo, when I want to go to the beach I go to Ubatuba or beaches located on the Norte Litoral. Next month, on my trip to Sampa I expect to visit the beaches near Santos like São Vincente or Guaruja. I expect them to be polluted but it's always good to feel the sea breeze.

Rio Bob
09-27-09, 20:34
The last time I swam in the ocean (Copacabana beach) was in 1984. Even then you could notice a yellowish foam floating on the crests of the waves.

About the same timeframe I was swimming in the water by the beach off the Rio Sheraton hotel. It was just after a rain but the sun was out, as I was relaxing in the water a dead rat floated by me, I never moved so fast in my life, haven't really been back in the water since, maybe just to get my feet wet.

I have a friend who shoots video in Rio as he walks along the edge of the water, he got some type of fungus/infection on his foot, took months to get rid of.

Back home I never tell people the water is polluted or there is a threat of violence because they would ask me: Why do you go? Can't tell everybody why. One time my friend’s wife wanted to come with us to Rio, he told me that he was going to tell her that she wouldn't like it there because the beach is polluted and there’s too much violence. I told him you better not because she'll ask you why you are going. He no longer accompanies me on my trips.

Rio Bob
09-27-09, 20:47
Sangue Bon thanks too, next time I will go for sure to Shirley, mainly cause I still never been to Leme and it is in my plan during my third time to Rio to explore as much as I can out of copa.

Not a good time to discuss seafood restaurants while discussing polluted waters but here are some alternatives to Shirley:

Probably the best seafood restaurant in all of Rio is Satyricon in Ipanema, very expensive even when the dollar was getting 4 reals but very good.

Another good one in Ipanema is Margutta but again at current exchange rate, not for everyday but high end.

Then of course don't forget Dom Camilio in Copacabana, its Italian but it's also a seafood restaurant, Gamberi and risotto is my favorite.

This is not a seafood restaurant but I thought I would just throw it in and that's Jobi's in Leblon. Very popular for the residents of Leblon, small and packed all the time and I never saw a gringo in there except myself and the gringo who introduced me to it, good food, cold beer and good prices.

Bravo
09-27-09, 21:00

If this is true, then how come so many mongers love to eat seafood in Rio? I never knew they sent all thier human waste into the ocean (never eally thought about it) But knowing that now, I couldnt imagine eating fish and shrimp in rio anymore.

Eros74
09-27-09, 21:08
I never knew they sent all thier human waste into the ocean (never eally thought about it) But knowing that now, I couldnt imagine eating fish and shrimp in rio anymore.

I never knew too, but I am happy I wrote about "water" and that came out about dead rat and infections to foot....for me it is solved from now, no more sea food in Rio from now and I will think twice before to relax long time in the water.

Sperto
09-27-09, 21:28
Ipanema had a lot of problems with pollutions 10 years back, until they moved the exit of the sewer.

Being on one of the most famous beaches in the world, sweating in the sun and having lots of hot women in the waves... of course I enter. It's mostly for a dip or some bodysurfing. I can't imagine it would be that bad as the descriptions below.

The only problem I had was once when I accidently happened to catch some human faeces in my hand. :(

Perkele
09-27-09, 23:00
If this is true, then how come so many mongers love to eat seafood in Rio? I never knew they sent all thier human waste into the ocean (never eally thought about it) But knowing that now, I couldnt imagine eating fish and shrimp in rio anymore.

Well. I never eat seafood in Rio. Only when I'm traveling in Brasil. Now I'm in Recife and the food is great here.

Of course I do not know if the shit goes straight to ocean, but water is much cleaner here.

One Wing Low
09-27-09, 23:32
If you go up to Sugar Loaf and look down to the ocean, the water at Copacabana beach looks greenish blue, while the water in the bay next to Leblond and Centro looks black like mud.

It's obvious that Rio's sewage and municipal wastes are pumped out into that bay. The contaminations would gradually spread out into the surrounding water. The ocean water in Copacabana does smell like sewage. It's not smart to dunk around in water that carries human wastes of million of people for decades.

The water over Ipanema looks cleaner but the beaches are littered with trash of every kinds. The water in resort town, Buzzio, is also heavily contaminated with sewage.

There are many beaches in other parts of the world that are beautiful, clean, healthy, fun. Rio is very low on the list. I was told by my Brazilian friends that Southern parts of Brazil have far cleaner beaches and more beautiful women of the blonde hair, fair skin types.

Jan 156
09-28-09, 01:25
Going back to my original comment about beaches, and where I said the Ipanema one was nicer, that's just what I meant. I'm not a swimmer and rarely go in the water. But the beach (ie the bit with sand duh) is nicer in Ipanema. It's more upmarket, the view is generally better (high class bunda), the hawkers are maybe slightly less intrusive, it's just generally a 'better' area. But as Copa still wins hands down for me I usually just use the Leme bit of beach, which I find slightly less hassled than a lot of the Copa postos.

For clean bathing, you do have to go quite a way.

I'd suggest Koh Samui. The north side. ;) ;)

Rio Bob
09-28-09, 15:07

Well you would think that fishing would take place far from shore in deeper clean waters, I hope.

At the fort itself in Copacabana there is a fish market, the fish loooks good, I never had it but I never heard of anyone getting sick from eating the fish in Rio.

Jan 156
09-28-09, 15:07
Marco,
Another great book I would suggest you is "Rio de Janeiro" by Ruy Castro, a Carioca.

Thanks for the tip, Sprite. My copy arrived today. :)

Jan 156
09-28-09, 15:22
Not a good time to discuss seafood restaurants while discussing polluted waters but here are some alternatives to Shirley:

Probably the best seafood restaurant in all of Rio is Satyricon in Ipanema, very expensive even when the dollar was getting 4 reals but very good.

I think the quality on the whole is probably more consistent in Ipanema if nothing else. In Copa I mostly like to cook my own (fishmonger on Prado or even see what the Prado/Castro mini supermarket has - not all of their stuff is past its best-by date lol).

One seafood restaurant I feel is very overhyped is the seafood version of Marius. Even if you're a fan of the meat version (which is good, if pricey), the idea doesn't travel well to seafood. By the time it's reached my table it has mostly been overcooked or no longer the correct temperature.

Exec Talent
09-28-09, 17:52
The author mentions several times that his objective for writing this book was making money to finance future sexual tourism trips. It is obvious that it was not written for the benefit of the reader since most of the content is not the author’s firsthand experiences, but taken (without the original author’s knowledge or permission in at least one case) from the internet. The book is 210 pages, double-spaced and in large font type which means it is more like 50 pages. The book reads more like a high school book report that the student waited until the last weekend to write than a travelogue.

Often the author distorts facts for effect. “In Rio, you’ll find brothels in shopping malls, across the street from churches, and next door to banks. As you weave through the throngs of shoppers … it’s impossible to miss the garish sign for …, a *****house on the top level of an open air mall.” In reality, the brothel is located far away from the majority of pedestrian foot traffic and the sign is barely noticeable from the street.

The highlight of the book, if there is one, is when the author writes about something that has nothing to do with sexual tourism, but is about his appearance on the web site http://www.bethemask.com/tour1/brittneyskye/brittney3/index.htm? where he has sex while his face is covered in a Mexican wrestling mask.

Given that the majority of the book is taken from the internet and not original content, save your money and simply do an internet search of your favorite destination. I purchased the book on Amazon which fortunately has a return policy. Sorry, Joe, not going to be financing your trip on my dollars.

Golfinho
09-28-09, 22:21
The author mentions several times that his objective for writing this book was making money to finance future sexual tourism trips. It is obvious that it was not written for the benefit of the reader since most of the content is not the author’s firsthand experiences, but taken (without the original author’s knowledge or permission in at least one case) from the internet. The book is 210 pages, double-spaced and in large font type which means it is more like 50 pages. The book reads more like a high school book report that the student waited until the last weekend to write than a travelogue.

Often the author distorts facts for effect. “In Rio, you’ll find brothels in shopping malls, across the street from churches, and next door to banks. As you weave through the throngs of shoppers … it’s impossible to miss the garish sign for …, a *****house on the top level of an open air mall.” In reality, the brothel is located far away from the majority of pedestrian foot traffic and the sign is barely noticeable from the street.

The highlight of the book, if there is one, is when the author writes about something that has nothing to do with sexual tourism, but is about his appearance on the web site http://www.bethemask.com/tour1/brittneyskye/brittney3/index.htm? where he has sex while his face is covered in a Mexican wrestling mask.

Given that the majority of the book is taken from the internet and not original content, save your money and simply do an internet search of your favorite destination. I purchased the book on Amazon which fortunately has a return policy. Sorry, Joe, not going to be financing your trip on my dollars.Thanks for sharing this.

Another grubby hand to dodge

Cool
09-29-09, 00:17
Which one is superior considering costs and quality and beauty of women? Which country has less dark skin women?

Tiradentes
09-29-09, 04:56

L'Uomo is actuallly located in a 'shopping mall', 30 yards from a 'church' / place of worship which is also located in the same mall at the same level.

On Sunday night, it gets really crowded. I've seen people/children wandering the halls of the mall.

L'Uomo/ MC/ Centaurus are all located in residential areas. Got to do with the crazy zoning system in Brazil.

Not complaining, just stating facts.

Exec Talent
09-29-09, 05:34
L'Uomo is actuallly located in a 'shopping mall', 30 yards from a 'church' / place of worship which is also located in the same mall at the same level.

On Sunday night, it gets really crowded. I've seen people/children wandering the halls of the mall.

L'Uomo/ MC/ Centaurus are all located in residential areas. Got to do with the crazy zoning system in Brazil.

Yeah, maybe he was there on a Sunday night and overheard all the little kids say, "mommy, mommy, look at the garish sign."

The book and the author is full of crap. I was being kind in my review and picked a passage that most could identify as hyperbole.

The Watcher
09-29-09, 05:58

I thought the church that was on the same floor as Luomo moved. Could somebody please verify if the church is there or not. Thanks.

Mangera
09-29-09, 12:08
Which one is superior considering costs and quality and beauty of women? Which country has less dark skin women?
Well, if it was a soccer match between both..........there is your answer.

Lorenzo
09-29-09, 17:10
I thought the church that was on the same floor as Luomo moved. Could somebody please verify if the church is there or not. Thanks.
Why? Are you interested in becoming a congregant?

Eros74
09-29-09, 17:38

I do not know about luomo, but for solarium, go out and to left, end of the street again to left and you have one church, IHIH.

Cool
09-29-09, 20:57
Well, if it was a soccer match between both..........there is your answer.

Thanks Mangera.

Abzsafado
09-29-09, 21:38

Its not a shopping mall as most of the western world would know it. Its a collection of antique shops and a supermarket in a cockroach infested predio. I used to live in it, cheap rent nice view of Christo and a nice little knocking shop an elevator ride away.
L'Uomo is not really in the "shopping mall" is it? Its not a case of looking at the store guide and seeing it listed under brothel. It is discreetly tucked away on the outside.

The Watcher
09-30-09, 02:16
Why? Are you interested in becoming a congregant?

No, I do not want to join that church. When I was last there in June, the church appeared to be closed. I could be wrong - as they say, it would not be the first time and certainly not the last. That is why I wanted verification.

Buscemi
10-02-09, 15:09
I hardly ever participate these talks, but now.

1. L'uomo isn't located in shopping mall. What ever you may think.
2. The sign isn't relly visible to the street. One may see it IF one knows where to look for it.
3. Three posts, of which one is full of false information and this one ranting on a Senior member.... Not the best start.

I hate to burst your bubble, L'uomo is in a multi level (3 floors) shopping "Plaza" or whatever you want to call it. Most of the shops are antique dealers or artist's workshops. There are also a few frame shops and antique furniture stores. It may not be a mall like in The U.S. or Europe, but the three tiered plaza houses 50 PLUS places of commerce as well as a terma!

There is also a large Sendas grocery store in there, along with three or four "sucos", so you are off base that is not located in a shopping mall.

There really was no need for your grandstanding, does it make you a better "hobbyist"? This site is about sharing of information.

Sperto
10-02-09, 15:29
Very important issues are being discussed right now. :D

Is L'uomo located in a shopping mall/center or not? The one who guess right gets a free p***y.

L'uomo is located on Rua Siqueira Campos 143. So are also twenty other "shops". They are all located in "The Shopping Cidade Copacabana"/"Shopping dos Antiquarios".
They have a site http://www.shoppingdosantiquarios.com.br.

Call it a shopping center, mall, gallery or whatever. Who cares? L'uomo is quite hidden and propably don't disturb any customers visiting the shopping.

All you Rio-experts, relax and stop fighting about unimportant details. There must be more important matters to discuss I hope.

Exec Talent
10-02-09, 15:41
There really was no need for your grandstanding, does it make you a better "hobbyist"? This site is about sharing of information.
The book Around the World in 80 Lays is crap. The content is largely taken from sites like this one. The "original" content is written in See Jane Run style with an occasional Thesaurus accident.

There, I did my sharing for today. Where's my cookie?

Eros74
10-02-09, 16:39
Very important issues are being discussed right now. :D LOOL :)

....L'uomo is located on Rua Siqueira Campos 143. So are also twenty other "shops". They are all located in "The Shopping Cidade Copacabana"/"Shopping dos Antiquarios".
They have a site http://www.shoppingdosantiquarios.com.br...
Amen...I guess ;)

Despite the mongering activity and thinking "to try" to be a turist :) in my next trip to Rio, what it does really worth to see ?

Pao de Acucar (seen), Corcovado ( not seen, but it is in my plan ), Maracana ? ( but I do not like soccer... ).

Something hystorical in the center ?

Regarding "clean" water and nice beaches not much far from Rio, Buzios worth it or there is something better ? ( maybe that it worth to stop there 1-2 days and have after dinner some monger activity ? )

Ala Delta from Sao Conrado....ehm, I would really like to do it, but after what El Austriaco shared with us in january, not much sure is "safe" with that crazy-lazy wind there....

Short trip, 2-3 days to Belo Horizonte, for mongering, it worth it about cheaper price GDP and easier to get regular girls or not ?

Thanks for everybody will share something :)

Hitmanm3
10-02-09, 17:13
Well as you might know by now Chicago nor Rio got the Olympics, so Lula can concentrate more on his future in Brasil and his re-election. This must be a blow to Brasil. Madrid did not get it neither. One question I have. How many terms can a president run in Brasil? 8 years or two terms; or three terms 12 years?

Sui Generis
10-02-09, 17:21
LOOL :)

Despite the mongering activity and thinking "to try" to be a turist :) in my next trip to Rio, what it does really worth to see ?

Pao de Acucar (seen), Corcovado ( not seen, but it is in my plan ), Maracana ? ( but I do not like soccer... ).

Something hystorical in the center ?

:)

Maybe I'm not the best person the give information on Rio's touristic attractions. Anyways, I had the chance to live and work there from 1984 to 1986. I guess that my information maybe a little bit outdated.

Anyhow I think that there's a lot of things to visit in Rio.

Here's a small list:

Mosteiro São Bento, Floresta de Tijuca, Central do Brasil, Museu Carmen Miranda, Museu de Arte Moderna, Jardim Botânico, Praça Quinze de Novembro, Teatro Municipal, Biblioteca nacional, Maracana, Igreja da Nossa Senhora de Penha, Parque brigadeiro Eduardo Gomes, etc, etc.

Unfortunately one of the main attraction doesn't exist anymore: Tivoli parque near the Lagoa Freitas (It was an amusement park).

I hope it may help you.

Hitmanm3
10-02-09, 17:48
Sorry I meant Tokyo got axed and Chicago.

That is what happens when you read more than one language it it down to Rio and Madrid sorry guys my fault.

Spidy
10-02-09, 18:15
Well for those mongerers that wanted the Olympics in Rio...you got it. But be careful what you wish for...as things are about to get interesting over the next few years, with regards to perhaps some serious "house cleaning".

Yankee 617
10-02-09, 21:34
Very important issues are being discussed right now. :D
L'uomo is located on Rua Siqueira Campos 143. So are also twenty other "shops". They are all located in "The Shopping Cidade Copacabana"/"Shopping dos Antiquarios".
They have a site http://www.shoppingdosantiquarios.com.br.

You are right. It even has its own page at that site...

http://www.shoppingdosantiquarios.com.br/loja.asp?id=116

Exec Talent
10-02-09, 21:59
You are right. It even has its own page at that site...

http://www.shoppingdosantiquarios.com.br/loja.asp?id=116
And, there is that damn garish sign. Visible no doubt from as far away as the Christ Statute.

Eros74
10-02-09, 22:09
...Visible no doubt from as far away as the Christ Statute.
LOL :)

Hey Exec Talent thanks for photo, I forgot it is so big, you did not photoshopped right ? ;)

Just joking....

Son to his mother walking down the street in front of shopping:

" Mommy look there !!! What is it lu....luommo ?!? "

" Oh, nothing, it is just where daddy goes on sunday evening to play ... poker " .... ( at least I hope... )

LOL :)

Jan 156
10-05-09, 09:55
And, there is that damn garish sign. Visible no doubt from as far away as the Christ Statute.
And, annoyingly for newbies no doubt, barely visible at all from directly below. It's kinda off the mall, so I think you're correct whether you say it's in a mall or not. You could call it poetic licence if one was being generous (and from your account, there is no reason to be). ;)

Exec Talent
10-05-09, 12:32
The purpose of this site is sharing information. Most of us post here because of that desire. It likely came out of the fact that when we first started traveling we found the information here valuable.

The author, Joe Diamond AKA Rio Joe, came here about a year ago posting for the sole purpose of hyping himself, his Hustler article and what he hoped was an upcoming book. He came here for one purpose, to benefit Joe. That is a recurring theme throughout his book. How can he get someone else to pay for his trips under the guise of doing a story?

He has never been to Thailand, but uses the posts from forums like this one as a basis for his “travelogue.” Same with Germany. Bottom line is he has been to Rio a few times and that section is filled with misinformation and hyperbole. He, like many others of his kind, is all hype and no talent just out to make the quick buck.

Candidly, I bought the book online before I realized the author. It quickly became a bathroom book; however the temptation grew to start using the pages after the deed so I finished it and returned it to Amazon.

Again, most of us are here to share information for the benefit of others. I bought the book, read it, and found it to be worthless. There is better information on Rio right here. And, why would someone buy a book to read about Thailand and Germany when the content is simply reposts of what is found here?

Stratone
10-05-09, 20:28
Well for those mongerers that wanted the Olympics in Rio...you got it. But be careful what you wish for...as things are about to get interesting over the next few years, with regards to perhaps some serious "house cleaning".Probably drive the price of poooosaaay outta sight too!

El Mujerista
10-05-09, 22:03
Well for those mongerers that wanted the Olympics in Rio...you got it. But be careful what you wish for...as things are about to get interesting over the next few years, with regards to perhaps some serious "house cleaning".Well, we'll see. Hopefully at least they'll do something to improve that damned airport...

Tiszinskij
10-05-09, 23:18
Sorry for bothering you but is it really so dangerous in Rio?

Will spend there few days and look for some fun but heard some thrilling stories.

Hey from Poland!

Member #3439
10-06-09, 04:08
Probably drive the price of poooosaaay outta sight too! eah, but after the Olympics there will be a surplus and new golden age of cheap buceta. If the Real stays tolerable.

Imagine all the garotas who will come from the countryside to Rio for quick Reais, then find themselves immersed in the GdP life$tyle. Then the Olympics crowd leaves and they find themselves in competition. I seriously doubt that they'll leave town after the Olympics, to go back to Hicktown, BR and become housewives. Imagine being Hefner for a day, then willingly walking away. Isn't going to happen.

Jan 156
10-07-09, 15:26
I'd be curious to see what you think of that book (Rio de Janeiro, by Ruy Castro) as this is a book that spends a lot of time on Carnaval and the roots of it. I personally rank that book as one of my favorites on Rio.

I'm really enjoying it so far. Very atmospheric. I think I'd recommend it to anyone missing Rio (rather than just the sex) or enjoying Rio and wanting a compact, stylishly written book by someone who is very knowledgeable about the city and it's heartbeat. Especially as you can get second hand copies from Amazon just now for a few pence. Have tried not to flick forward to the Carnaval stuff too much - am enjoying just savouring each page.

A good movie for enjoying the roots of Brasil and the early days of Carnaval is Black Orpheus (Orfeu Negro). It's in Porto and won an Oscar back in 1959. It's an exciting thriller that stands up well today, with a backdrop of pre-commercialed Carnaval and at a time when Candomble was more open. Highly dramatised but still atmospheric - I think you might well enjoy it.

Rio Joe
10-09-09, 01:15
ET, thanks for starting a discussion of the book. I'll be honest, though. I was a little hurt by your "objective" review. For the sake of balance, here's a differing opinion from a reader at Amazon.com:

"The book is an effervescent account of 'regular Joes' partying like rock stars.... The closest parallel I can think of is Neal Strauss's 'The Game,' another book that indelibly captured a subculture of dedicated hedonists. The difference is that the men in 'Around the World in 80 Lays' 'seduce' (if you can call it that) with money....

"Diamond weaves fascinating historical facts into the book without sounding like the History Channel. For example, he writes about a huge statue of a prostitute in Germany meant to commemorate a medieval religious conference where 1,500 courtesans were on hand to 'serve the secular needs of the attendees.' He also shares juicy tidbits about the Nazis (and later the communists) using hookers as bait to get foreign diplomats to spill secrets during 'pillow talk.'

"Why should rock stars have all the fun? Diamond shows that even regular guys can 'live the dream,' if they're willing to pay a little for it."

[The full review's at http://www.amazon.com/Around-World-80-Lays-Adventures/product-reviews/1602392870/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1 ]

Jan 156
10-09-09, 08:20
I sometimes write reviews and so get used to reading them. The author Rio Joe has cleverly noted that any publicity is good publicity. Though it is perhaps doubtful that the discussion here will have the effect on uptake the way Harriet Harman's mention of P*nternet did recently in her attempt to ban it.

Firstly, it is someone's work, whether much was pilfered or not. And it always makes a review more credible if you can find something good to say about a bad book and vice versa. The reviews on Amazon pointed out by the author are by first time reviewers, which naturally leads me to suspect they are written by his mates - one admits they went to school together. So they are not unbiassed reviews. The point about finding termas in shopping malls is not a brilliant one to criticise - it might be a slight exaggeration but can at least be argued either way, as has been shown here. As details change so frequently, it should be possible to find more substantive examples of 'misinformation.'

It's probably the sort of book I might pick up when the second hand price comes down to 1p. Mostly because my own initial reaction was, 'only 80??' A bit of honesty about which places are really visited by the author and which he has reported second hand would be good. As I have been round the world, quite literally, and have clocked up a lot more than 80 lays, I have to wonder what it would offer, especially when I can get a better intro on ISG than I would expect to find in a published book that will necessarily be somewhat out of date by the time it rolls off the press. But not everyone reads ISG, so maybe the author's lads' mags readers, many of whom won't go further than a week in Bangkok, might feel suitably entertained. They might even progress to going onto ISG and find some real live info.

ps Neil Strauss is someone else who 'fed off others.' His overhyped book The Game is a mishmash of successes and his own inner anxieties as he attempts to implement technical pick-up methods mostly based on the work of psychologists. Unfortunately he doesn't understand the underlying principles properly, so gets himself in a mess. The original source is Bandler and Grinder - they really know how to mess with your head and you can experience it on some of the tapes of their lectures. The modern day exponent is Ross Jeffries, who is easier to understand than B&G for beginners, but has sound understanding and a decent moral footing. Things hippy-head Strauss wasn't interested in.

Eros74
10-09-09, 09:15
So good, so true !

Actually, he was very smart to use ISG to be able to write a book, even if he neither travelled so much. On the opposite, I hate liers and think I am gonna to read something he just copied from here, it really pissed me off even if I paid the book 0,10 euro.

But again he was smart and brave too, cause if I will write a book, I will never copy....I guess if there is some copyright here in ISG and if he should ask before to copy or not ?!

Great ET that reported it all, at least I know a book I will never buy LOL

Exec Talent
10-09-09, 13:19
Yeah. Guess some people might think a health organization announcing to the world that they have an infectious disease also might be a good thing.

Message from here remains the same. Don’t buy the book. It is crap. Joe, see if you can misconstrue, take out of context and put a positive spin on that statement.

BTW, I used the L’uomo example because many people here could relate to it. Over the years how many times have we heard from people who couldn’t find it? Garish sign that you can’t miss, and all. Must be all the shoppers in that area of the shopping center obscuring it from view.

Euro100
10-09-09, 16:42
... is only visible from the OPPOSITE side of the Siqueira Campos street. It is on the first floor, mounted on the wall of L'uomo, but partially hidden by a concrete balcony wall of the outside walkway. I had a very hard time finding in my first time, and if it had not been for Bubba's guide, I might have given up.

Is L'uomo part of a shopping mall? The place is definitely a mall; I went there during daytime yesterday, and it is full of different stores. Yes, a lot of antiques, but there is also an internet cafe, a bridal store, a couple of electronics stores, a travel agency, a swimsuit store, a grocery store (pretty good, actually). Well, none of the mall pedestrian traffic passes by L'uomo, but it can only be reached by from inside the mall.

Here is also an update on a very important topic that comes up again and again: Help! closing. Yes, my friends, it finally happened. I was siting at Veranda Help on Wednesday night with a couple of buddies, and I saw with my own eyes that Help! finally closed down :(. But then I went there yesterday evening, and it had opened again :D.

Since I am posting already, here is my take on the Olympics: It would be tremendous, if Rio used the opportunity to improve its infrastructure. Perhaps expanding the metro and connecting it to the airport? Now wouldn't THAT be cool! Yes, it's going to get a lot more expensive in Rio. I am already paying a factor of 2 more (including the exchange rate effect) than five years ago, and it's going to go up way more still.

But the most depressing effect might be that major international restaurant chains will begin moving in to Rio in anticipation of the Olympics. This morning I saw a report on a new Mongolian BBQ restaurant in Rio on TV. And the girl I slept with last night told me that Flamengo Porcao will close down and probably become an Outback Steakhouse. This pisses me off beyond words. (Tonight I'll take her there; it may be my last meal at one of my favorite restaurants on the planet :().

euro

Jan 156
10-09-09, 20:33
since i am posting already, here is my take on the olympics: it would be tremendous, if rio used the opportunity to improve its infrastructure. perhaps expanding the metro and connecting it to the airport? now wouldn't that be cool! yes, it's going to get a lot more expensive in rio. i am already paying a factor of 2 more (including the exchange rate effect) than five years ago, and it's going to go up way more still.

hi euro. i think your take is pretty sound. i just picked up a copy of today's economist and they come to a similar conclusion. there's quite a bit of interest here so i hope it's not too out of place to post the article? there's a lot of hard facts about proposals. the one that maybe affects us as mongers/tourists the most is the plan to extend the metro to barra. but that is a lot of line. will they really get it done? who knows. their promises for the pan american games weren't kept. the idea that cariocas will suddenly become industrious with the fanaticism we have in the west for getting things done doesn't quite persuade me. the wiki page just talks about a high speed bus (an amusing idea). and the joke about taking the year off after the world cup rings far too true.

the planned olympic zones are copa, barra, maracana and deodoro.

rio's expensive new rings (http://www.economist.com/world/americas/displaystory.cfm?story_id=14587915)

oct 8th 2009 | rio de janeiro
from the economist print edition
winning the contest to stage the olympics in 2016 was the easy part

played by heads of state, marketing jocks and heavyweight lobbyists, the game of winning the olympic games has become just as fierce as any contest on the track or in the pool. to win the 2016 games for rio de janeiro, brazil spent some $50m. it fielded the likes of pelé, paulo coelho, a bestselling author, and the entire brazilian diplomatic corps. whereas barack obama, on behalf of chicago, breezed into the meeting of the international olympic committee (ioc) in copenhagen minutes before the decision was taken on october 2nd, brazil’s president, luiz inácio lula da silva, spent two days there, having earlier written personal letters to the 106 voting members and had each hand-delivered by an ambassador. why did rio win? “we wanted it more,” said carlos roberto osório, of brazil’s olympic committee.

that was the easy bit. holding the games will require effort and expense on a scale that rio, a problem-studded metropolis of 12m (half of whom live in the city itself), has never seen. apart from new stadiums and other sports facilities of all kinds, the plans call for new bridges and roads, and a doubling in the number of hotel rooms. to revamp a chaotic transport system, engineers will blast through granite mountains to extend the metro from ipanema to barra da tijuca, 13.5km (8.4 miles) away. tens of thousands of athletes must be squired to rep001tered events through some of the worst traffic in the americas.

the police, already overstretched, must keep the olympians safe from some of latin america’s most brazen criminals—they committed over 2,000 murders in the city itself last year. where padding public-works contracts and sticky-fingered politicians are the norm, who will make sure the $14.4 billion budgeted for the games will be put to good use—to say nothing of up to $50 billion in indirect investment?

there are plenty of sceptics, not least in são paulo, brazil’s financial and industrial centre, where rio is often dismissed as a party town. (with brazil scheduled to host the football world cup in 2014, paulistas joke that cariocas, as rio’s residents are called, are planning to take 2015 off.) the pan american games held in rio in 2007 reportedly cost ten times the official budget, and left behind underused arenas.

but there are reasons for hoping that rio might just succeed, where other places have failed, in imitating the achievement of barcelona, which used 1992’s games to reinvent a city. rio has been declining for half a century, since it lost its status as the national capital to brasília. for most of this time, the city and surrounding state have been poorly governed and brutally and badly policed. manufacturing and banks moved to são paulo, favelas multiplied and the only growth industries seemed to be drug-trafficking and gang warfare. one in six cariocas is poor.

some things are improving, partly as a result of brazil’s stronger economy. offshore oil is injecting revenue to the state. poverty is falling and property is booming. often at odds in the past, the city, state and federal governments united for the olympic bid. the new transport lines promised for the world cup and the olympics are sorely needed. the white elephants of the pan american games will find a new use.

but will the games regenerate rio, or distort its priorities? the prospectus talks of redeveloping the decaying port area, and of at last cleansing guanabara bay of sewage and industrial pollution. but whereas barcelona built its olympic village in a derelict part of its port, in rio it will be sited, along with many events, in barra da tijuca, a nouveau-riche neighbourhood at the wealthiest end of the city.

during the pan american games, police and army troops flooded the streets, smothering crime. more useful would be to use the next seven years to coax the violent young men of the favelas to take up sport, or to get construction jobs. “why don’t we make eliminating poverty in rio and pacifying all the violent slums our goal for 2016?” says andré urani of the institute for studies on labour and society, a think-tank in the city. but there are no policies in place to achieve this.

for brazil, the award of the games, hard on the heels of the world cup, is yet another symbol of its growing status in the world. as lula put it in copenhagen, brazil is no longer a “second-class country”. that may bring intangible benefits. it is now the job of brazil’s politicians to ensure that they outweigh the costs.

Eros74
10-09-09, 21:20
Chris very interesting article you posted, thanks.

Many good, very good plans, but they will do it all ?

I think to build 13 km of metro till Barra is not a "joke", I guess they should start asap.

How they double the accomodations is a mistery too.

Another question is will be the Olympics enough safe ?

And my question, as an almost total non-expert about such things is, where do they take the money to pay all the things they plan to build ?!?

Indeed the easiest part was to get the Olympics....

Marcop 12
10-10-09, 00:10
If need be you can translate this site through google laungage tools as in Portuguese. It is online booking tool for up and coming events, concerts, nightclubs, theatre etc etc in Rio

It is problematic to actually book online but you can see whats going on and gives you the shops selling the tickets, i normally go to the one in Rio Sul (Loja Banco de Areia)

Its amazing how many events actually happen in Rio and international stars and acts that pass through Rio undetected whilst im in town. There has been several events ive missed that i would have went to whilst in Rio had i researched up and coming lists.

http://www.ingressocerto.com/Produtos_Secoes.asp?SecP=1&SecS=1

Marcop 12
10-10-09, 00:19
This is site i use if your into football or wish to catch a game at Maracana.

Theres several but i like this one as easy to navigate through the divisions and league tables.

Looks like the season finishes on Dec 6th.

But i believe they have some carioca team football tournament in January which is played at Maracana, i havent made it yet the details are a bit hazy maybe someone else knows more about it ?

http://www.soccerway.com/national/brazil/serie-a/2009/regular-season/matches/

Marcop 12
10-10-09, 00:36
This anti-biotic type drug was introduced as a wonder drug,its like super strengh anti-biotic that can treat a wide range of infections you can pick up on your travels. I was surprised to find it is available over the counter in the pharmacys here.

I think it was tailored for all the shit you can pick up in Rio :) relating to sore throats and chests etc..Interesting it also states it can be used to treat chlamydia. Normal antibiotics are normally a week course these do same in 2 days.

Anyways its my drug of choice in the fight of wasting time due to illness.

You can just write down Zithromax and hand to pharmacy

(providing your symptoms are what it actually treats ie stated in the website :)

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100003113.html

Marcop 12
10-10-09, 01:01
Ive used this very easy to use site for sending flowers in the past and was most surprised by the efficency. This was only used in exceptional circumstances as example in one of my early trips couple of years ago on arriving Air France had lost my luggage a nice garota arriving same time helped me out as i was struggling communicating with the staff that was on.

She stayed more than an hour assisting and gave me her business card i had used this international site before so quickly sent bouquet of flowers with a thank you note & my cell (free sex in back of mind), next morning got an estatic thankyou call & evening meal offer. No free sex but had great time and still in touch.

Ive never used this service for GDPs nor would i, but its handy and can be worth little outlay for up and coming trips, etc

Its been about a year since used it but the prices seem to be a lot higher, maybe the flowers are out of season or something but seems to be premium prices

worldwidefloralnetwork.com/flowers/southamerica.htm

Hughdad
10-10-09, 13:49
This anti-biotic type drug was introduced as a wonder drug,its like super strengh anti-biotic that can treat a wide range of infections you can pick up on your travels. I was surprised to find it is available over the counter in the pharmacys here.

I think it was tailored for all the shit you can pick up in Rio :) relating to sore throats and chests etc..Interesting it also states it can be used to treat chlamydia. Normal antibiotics are normally a week course these do same in 2 days.

Anyways its my drug of choice in the fight of wasting time due to illness.

You can just write down Zithromax and hand to pharmacy

(providing your symptoms are what it actually treats ie stated in the website :)

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100003113.htmlI am not a doctor (nor do I play one on TV). But, you need to be careful self-medicating yourself with antibiotics. I read here many times guys using these medicines as "preventatives" before they have anything to not miss mongering time. The concern is that you can build up a resistance to the effectiveness of these super drugs if you use them too often and develop more severe strains of disease. Especially for those that monger frequently and do this practice. Be careful.

Rio Joe
10-10-09, 20:16
As I have been round the world, quite literally, and have clocked up a lot more than 80 lays, I have to wonder what it would offer, especially when I can get a better intro on ISG than I would expect to find in a published book that will necessarily be somewhat out of date by the time it rolls off the press.
It's an excellent point. In terms of quantity of information and timeliness, no book could ever hope to keep up with always-expanding forums like ISG. My aim was more to give my personal perspective on mongering, as well as the perspectives of other mongers (at least some of them; it would be impossible to include them all) who I thought had particularly interesting stories to share. (ET, in answer to your question, that's why you're not in the book.)

A bit of honesty about which places are really visited by the author and which he has reported second hand would be good.
I point out in 80 Lays' intro that the book includes the experiences of other mongers. Also, each chapter makes it clear where the information is coming from. For example, the section on Germany is largely based on a long interview I conducted with ISG poster Jackyo.

Exec Talent
10-10-09, 21:20
It's an excellent point. In terms of quantity of information and timeliness, no book could ever hope to keep up with always-expanding forums like ISG. My aim was more to give my personal perspective on mongering, as well as the perspectives of other mongers (at least some of them; it would be impossible to include them all) who I thought had particularly interesting stories to share. (ET, in answer to your question, that's why you're not in the book.)

I point out in 80 Lays' intro that the book includes the experiences of other mongers. Also, each chapter makes it clear where the information is coming from. For example, the section on Germany is largely based on a long interview I conducted with ISG poster Jackyo.
You are even more full of shit on here than you are in your book something which I did not believe was possible.

I sent the mostly copied from internet forums "book" back to Amazon for a full refund (new condition) because my other books started complaining about the smell.

You are now just another poster on ignore.

Eros74
10-10-09, 22:08
Rio Joe,

sorry, I do not get the point: why we should spend money to buy something that here is for free ?

Mangera
10-10-09, 23:49
It is most probable that someone can write a more informative book about the gdp scene without ever visiting Rio de Janeiro by just reading this forum.

If a person who lives in Rio or has lived there for most of his life, and/or has truly become active within the culture of that scene, then I would give it more credibility. Which by the way, happens to be the case for a couple of members in this forum. Just throwing in my 2 cents worth.

Rio Joe
10-11-09, 00:03
It is most probable that someone can write a more informative book about the gdp scene without ever visiting Rio de Janeiro by just reading this forum.

If a person who lives in Rio or has lived there for most of his life, and/or has truly become active within the culture of that scene, then I would give it more credibility. Which by the way, happens to be the case for a couple of members in this forum. Just throwing in my 2 cents worth.

You make some good points, but I think it's fair to ask have you actually read the book?

Also, at what point do you consider someone "truly active" within Rio's mongering scene? Surely my dozen-plus trips to Cidade Maravilhosa have validity on that count.

The book, in a way, is the best of both worlds: It combines my experiences as a monger with insights expressed by people here.

Eros74
10-11-09, 01:05
... I think it's fair to ask have you actually read the book?...

I think it's fair too, to ask have you actually read... my previous question ?

sorry, I do not get the point: why we should spend money to buy something that here is for free ?

Rio Joe
10-11-09, 02:59
Rio Joe,

Lukasek, please buy it. I'm sure you'll like it. Most of Around the World in 80 Lays is original writing. There are stories that have never appeared on ISG or other forums. Some of the stuff is based on my magazine articles, but with a new twist. The book is an enjoyable read. It's also one of the few books on mongering from a monger's point of view. I don't think there's much in there that will be earth-shattering to experienced mongers. But you'll definitely find things that strike a familiar, funny chord in the sense of "I know exactly what he's talking about." Especially the anecdotes about GFEs, strange encounters with GDPs, etc.

The book's Amazon page (www.amazon.com/gp/product/1602392870/) lets you preview it. You can also read an excerpt from the book in Penthouse (www.riojoe.com/ph1.htm).

Marcop 12
10-11-09, 08:46
I am not a doctor (nor do I play one on TV). But, you need to be careful self-medicating yourself with antibiotics. I read here many times guys using these medicines as "preventatives" before they have anything to not miss mongering time. The concern is that you can build up a resistance to the effectiveness of these super drugs if you use them too often and develop more severe strains of disease. Especially for those that monger frequently and do this practice. Be careful.Yes I agree you need to be careful, but I was also getting at most guys including myself end up going to the Pharmacys in Rio and generally ask for anti-biotics and can be given whatever the phamacy gives them without knowing what exactly they are and most probaly brazillian genertic ones. Personally I prefer to ask for a branded medication I can research symptoms before hand on sites like net doctor. Of course by taking any medication multiple times builds up tolerance but was more thinking of the vacationer like myself who generally only gets I'll in Rio occasionally. Also of course 'where possible' consult a GP or at least if wasnt aware previously sites like net doctor can cover symptoms and what specific medication treats or if your sold something from a pharmacy you can look it up to maybe check you been sold something correct for your symptoms.

I was originally prescribed this in Brazil where had light flu like symptoms and the generaly Rio sore\dry throat bacterial infections. This was only after being offered prescription for a 7 day course of antibiotics which is the pretty standard one you will be given, I then was asking down the lines of anything faster and he gave me these I mentioned and I kept the box and looked into as I was sorted out very quickly and after first day was almost back to 100% and after 48rs had no symptoms.

I thought it worth sharing due to the variations of medicne you would be offered if you went into different pharmacys and explained same symptoms.

But yes maybe ignore post and consult\find a doctor in Rio is your best bet.

Hughdad
10-12-09, 13:15
Rio Joe,

sorry, I do not get the point: why we should spend money to buy something that here is for free ?I read all this back and forth on this book. IMO, the bottom line is this book is not intended for this audience. It is obvious that many guys here know far more about mongering than this book. It is probably better suited for readers fantasizing or wondering about mongering (which does not seem to make up most of core members here.) Hawking it here is like trying to sell a Chilton's basic auto repair manual to a long-time certified mechanic.

But anyone is entitled to write a review if they have read it. And there have also been many entertaining books that have been written by compiling letters and third party accounts. Whether or not this is one of them I would have no clue, I have not read it nor intend to.

Rio Joe
10-13-09, 02:50
Around the World in 80 Lays – Book ReviewET,

Do you do film reviews also? The book was just optioned for a movie.

I know what you're thinking, ET, and you're absolutely right: plenty of films get optioned and never make it to the screen. But if Around the World in 80 Lays gets made, there's a ticket to the premiere with your name on it.

Exec Talent
10-13-09, 03:04
You still lost money on shipping.I was pretty specific with Amazon why I was returning the book (though I didn't use the word crap). They paid the postage for the return and I belong to Amazon Prime which means I pay $79 a year and can get anything shipped second day for free.

I totally am convinced that in the future in the US we will buy from only two companies. Physically from Wal-Mart and virtually from Amazon.

Amazon keeps getting better everyday. They soon will have an international edition of the Kindle which will work in Brazil. Stock has gone from around $35 in Dec to $93+ today. Sorry if I didn't mention back then that it was a good one to buy. But, if it splits, mortgage your mother to buy it.

Member #3439
10-13-09, 03:41
I was originally prescribed this in Brazil where had light flu like symptoms and the generaly Rio sore\dry throat bacterial infections. This was only after being offered prescription for a 7 day course of antibiotics which is the pretty standard one you will be given, I then was asking down the lines of anything faster and he gave me these I mentioned and I kept the box and looked into as I was sorted out very quickly and after first day was almost back to 100% and after 48rs had no symptoms.For those who are unable to visit a doctor, the following worked for me:

I purchased Zitroneo (azitromicina) 500 mg 3-pack at the drogaria near the corner of Rua Figueirdo and Rua Tonelero in Copa for $R33. Two days prior I had been deathly sick at both ends, and was still highly unstable upon arrival in Rio. This brought me out of it in one day and I went on to experience everything in the PP Report that Euro posted to RODs in late June. It was a wonderful experience due to the pills that cured me.

I stayed on this everyday, and mixed one 500 mg Zitro with one Cialis per day for about 4 days with no problems.

On another note, some one of 8 nice girls in Japan gave me a nice case of the crabs the following month. So now there is another addition to the monger's portable medicine cabinet, 5% permethrin cream. Apply once before flying out, wash it off when you get home, and apply once more 7 days later.

And to think that I had expected catching something in Rio, with all the DATY, anal, DFK, etc. Then the stereotypically 'clean' Japanese give me an STI. I try to think of it as experience, monger coming-of-age trial, or whatever. I had different words for it before I got rid of the little hellions.

Redsox911
10-13-09, 20:17
Lukasek, please buy it. I'm sure you'll like it. Most of Around the World in 80 Lays is original writing. There are stories that have never appeared on ISG or other forums. Some of the stuff is based on my magazine articles, but with a new twist. The book is an enjoyable read. It's also one of the few books on mongering from a monger's point of view. I don't think there's much in there that will be earth-shattering to experienced mongers. But you'll definitely find things that strike a familiar, funny chord in the sense of "I know exactly what he's talking about." Especially the anecdotes about GFEs, strange encounters with GDPs, etc.

The book's Amazon page (www.amazon.com/gp/product/1602392870/) lets you preview it. You can also read an excerpt from the book in Penthouse (www.riojoe.com/ph1.htm).I will definitely be buying this book as soon as I get back from Rio. I wish I saw this earlier and could've brought it along for the plane ride.

Looking forward to it!

RS911

Rio Joe
10-14-09, 06:31
I will definitely be buying this book as soon as I get back from Rio. I wish I saw this earlier and could've brought it along for the plane ride.

Looking forward to it!
RS911
Thanks! Let me know what you think, RS911.

Redsox911
10-15-09, 03:50
Thanks! Let me know what you think, RS911.Will do, I enjoyed the excerpts on your Hustler site.

Exec Talent
10-15-09, 13:30
I will definitely be buying this book as soon as I get back from Rio. I wish I saw this earlier and could've brought it along for the plane ride.

Looking forward to it!

RS911
Then surely you want to buy an ISG subscription as well since you have asked a lot of questions and received a lot of answers here. Following are the links to make it convenient for you.

http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/announcement-subscriptions.php?

http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/subscriptions.php?

Ejam06
10-16-09, 01:49
I have been using the Zimicina (azitromicina) for about 3 years now, and it works well. I buy a few every time I am over seas. So the day before I go to Brazil, Mexico, or the DR I start a cycle. 500mg for 3 days and don't get sick.

For those who are unable to visit a doctor, the following worked for me:

I purchased Zitroneo (azitromicina) 500 mg 3-pack at the drogaria near the corner of Rua Figueirdo and Rua Tonelero in Copa for $R33. Two days prior I had been deathly sick at both ends, and was still highly unstable upon arrival in Rio. This brought me out of it in one day and I went on to experience everything in the PP Report that Euro posted to RODs in late June. It was a wonderful experience due to the pills that cured me.

I stayed on this everyday, and mixed one 500 mg Zitro with one Cialis per day for about 4 days with no problems.

On another note, some one of 8 nice girls in Japan gave me a nice case of the crabs the following month. So now there is another addition to the monger's portable medicine cabinet, 5% permethrin cream. Apply once before flying out, wash it off when you get home, and apply once more 7 days later.

And to think that I had expected catching something in Rio, with all the DATY, anal, DFK, etc. Then the stereotypically 'clean' Japanese give me an STI. I try to think of it as experience, monger coming-of-age trial, or whatever. I had different words for it before I got rid of the little hellions.

Redsox911
10-17-09, 16:29
Then surely you want to buy an ISG subscription as well since you have asked a lot of questions and received a lot of answers here. Following are the links to make it convenient for you.

http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/announcement-subscriptions.php?

http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/subscriptions.php?Not that it's any of your business whether I purchase a subscription or not, I'm sure Jackson appreciates that he has his very own membership director. I'll get around to buying the sub when I return from my trip and have bought the Around the World in 80 Lays book.

Exec Talent
10-17-09, 23:10
Not that it's any of your business whether I purchase a subscription or not, I'm sure Jackson appreciates that he has his very own membership director. I'll get around to buying the sub when I return from my trip and have bought the Around the World in 80 Lays book.
Not the membership director by a long shot. Over the years I have gained so much useful knowledge from this site and not just about "mongering." I do not even remember what additional benefits being a paying member buys you. I just think that if you find something worthwhile the right thing to do is pay for it.

As for Rio Joe's book; which you seem so adamant on promoting. It is crap. I sent it back for a full refund. I also feel very good about that.

Rio Joe
10-18-09, 04:52
I do not even remember what additional benefits being a paying member buys you. I just think that if you find something worthwhile the right thing to do is pay for it.
I wonder: Do you pay additional fees for all the prospective members you've driven away? One can only imagine how much revenue ISG loses due to Exec Talent's (odd name, btw, for a man whose only discernible talent is being an ass) flatulent ramblings. Imagine it's your first time in a terma and the first girl you see is covered in cold sores. She immediately starts ranting in your face. Not exactly a great introduction to mongering.

The Watcher
10-18-09, 06:31
I just think that if you find something worthwhile the right thing to do is pay for it.

I agree. As a senior member, I have access to most services without paying. I, however, value this site and all the work that Jackson puts into it - my subscription is my way of saying "thank you" to Jackson.

Carlos Primeros
10-18-09, 07:09
I wonder: Do you pay additional fees for all the prospective members you've driven away? One can only imagine how much revenue ISG loses due to Exec Talent'sHi Rio Joe,

from where do you have hard evidence that ET has DRIVEN AWAY prospective members??? ET has contributed like everybody else here on the forum and I think that your comment is utterly unfair. Just use the IGNORE-function if you do not like his contributions.

These are my 2 cents.

Carlos

Eros74
10-18-09, 10:42
...One can only imagine how much revenue ISG loses due to Exec Talent's...

Actually Exec Talent has really a talent, cause he posts often many value infos here, he is one of best contributors in Brazil thread.

On the opposite I could not say the same about you...

You only care to promote your book here, no infos usefull for us, no report at all, your talent was only to copy reports and put all together and using ISG to earn money.

If I was Jackson I will seriously think to delete all your posts you wrote about your book, not to mention there should be some copyright here....

To make long short, "general info" about Brazil is not about your book, we have here lack of members as Exec Talent and no lack at all of member that promotes their business and I am sure I am not the only one who think this.

Chezz
10-18-09, 21:46
I wonder: Do you pay additional fees for all the prospective members you've driven away? One can only imagine how much revenue ISG loses due to Exec Talent's (odd name, btw, for a man whose only discernible talent is being an ass) flatulent ramblings. Imagine it's your first time in a terma and the first girl you see is covered in cold sores. She immediately starts ranting in your face. Not exactly a great introduction to mongering.Sorry to say, you're wrong on this count. Exec Talent's contributions to this board (and those of members like him) are the reason I became a member. You don't like him because he's busting your chops about your book. But to suggest he drives away potential members just makes you look childish and silly. Take the criticism and move on. Not every review of your book will be glowing.

Bravo
10-19-09, 03:07
According to your profile, you have only been a member since October 2 - 16 days; accordingly, how do you know Exec Talent has been "ranting" for years about Rio Joe's book?

DUH DUH DUH DUUUUUUHHHHH!! The plot thickens!!!!

Poucolouco
10-19-09, 13:36
According to your profile, you have only been a member since October 2 - 16 days; accordingly, how do you know Exec Talent has been "ranting" for years about Rio Joe's book?

It doesn't take 16 days to do a search on "Rio Joe".

Hughdad
10-19-09, 14:06
I agree. As a senior member, I have access to most services without paying. I, however, value this site and all the work that Jackson puts into it. My subscription is my way of saying "thank you" to Jackson.Agreed 100%. There are serious costs involved in running a site. Time, server costs, support. The membership fee is nothing to all the advice you get here. Hell, one piece of small advice can save you hundreds of $.- or even your life. I have saved lots of $. And enhanced my experiences, saved time, etc. But followed advice received here.

Hughdad
10-19-09, 14:08
Sorry to say, you're wrong on this count. Exec Talent's contributions to this board (and those of members like him) are the reason I became a member. You don't like him because he's busting your chops about your book. But to suggest he drives away potential members just makes you look childish and silly. Take the criticism and move on. Not every review of your book will be glowing.Agreed. Exec Talent provides quality insights and information.

Jan 156
10-20-09, 13:11
We (as in members of this forum) . . .. . . passes the popcorn . . . :D :D :D

Mr Enternational
10-20-09, 19:47
Wheelchair user, 92, arrested for smuggling coke

A 92-year-old woman with cocaine strapped to her body flew all the way from
Brazil to Spain before police arrested her, in a wheelchair, at Madrid's
airport.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/10/20/spain.arrest.wheelchair.cocaine/index.html

Rio Joe
10-20-09, 20:01
Sorry to say, you're wrong on this count. Exec Talent's contributions to this board (and those of members like him) are the reason I became a member. You don't like him because he's busting your chops about your book. But to suggest he drives away potential members just makes you look childish and silly. Take the criticism and move on. Not every review of your book will be glowing.

Point taken, Chezz. I need to develop a thicker skin.

Exec Talent
10-20-09, 21:07
including all shipping charges with apologies from Amazon.

Member #3439
10-21-09, 03:14
When all the brotherly love and literary review is over:

Can somebody post a link or scan of a Rio onibus map?

When I'm out of my gringo rubbers, I find Jontex green label 'extra comfort plus' to be satisfactory. Is there a Brasilian equivalent to Trojan Ultra Thin?

Paraty would be a good place to pick up French girls who are on holiday, for those expats who are longing for some Euro poon.

Albert Punter
10-21-09, 09:43
Try these links:

http://www.rioonibus.com/guia_de_itinerarios/index.asp

http://www.rio.rj.gov.br/smtr/

When I'm out of my gringo rubbers, I find Jontex green label 'extra comfort plus' to be satisfactory. Is there a Brasilian equivalent to Trojan Ultra Thin?

Paraty would be a good place to pick up French girls who are on holiday, for those expats who are longing for some Euro poon.

Ryjerrob
10-21-09, 18:12

Paraty would be a good place to pick up French girls who are on holiday, for those expats who are longing for some Euro poon.http://www.autoviacao1001.com.br/pt/

http://201.40.242.53/

http://www.viacaocometa.com.br/viacaocometav01/portugues/home/home.aspx

Hope this helps also.

ryjer

Admin
10-24-09, 02:45
Greetings everyone,

In recognition of his many great contributions to the Forum, I have given Quincas his own thread titled "Quincas in Brazil".

http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/showthread.php?t=3095

Those of you who wish to join him in the discussions in his new thread are welcome to do so.

I've also moved all of his previous "contributions" to this new thread, creating a sort of "The Collected Works of Quincasl"" for those of you who are interested.

Thanks,

Jackson

Java Man
10-24-09, 09:26
What is the best value for phone cards or phone plans to call brazil?

ThanksLook in the "Using Cell Phones in Brazil" thread.

Hughdad
10-24-09, 18:51

ThanksWhy, do you want to call the Olympic committee and get all the info on the bribes that were paid?

Hughdad
10-26-09, 04:06
Amazon keeps getting better everyday. They soon will have an international edition of the Kindle which will work in Brazil. Stock has gone from around $35 in Dec to $93+ today. Sorry if I didn't mention back then that it was a good one to buy. But, if it splits, mortgage your mother to buy it.Went up another $26 on Friday. Agree and have been long in Amazon for awhile. What a great company.

Sperto
10-27-09, 07:11
Any links for live streams for brazil tv stations?
http://www.vertvonline.org/

Rio Joe
10-27-09, 07:48
Any links for live streams for brazil tv stations?

http://www.justin.tv/fabiofrn

Hughdad
10-29-09, 17:22
You sound buttsore and bitter if you ask me but you didnt ask me. Actually I was call up brazil about this joker who thinks he is a positive thinker dadhugh to get some intel about him.Actually, I have had the good fortune to meet some of the forward thinking members of Brazil's government lately at sponsored events in the US. Bright and focused guys and easy to see why there is such a buzz about the upside to this country and the Olympics. I did not see you there. Of course, there will always be doubting Thomas' that can't see how things can change. This pervents them from being part of the change and even benefiting from them. (Sounds like you, right? )

So, if you can figure out your phone service in Brazil and can get enough credit in your "hotline" phone.- give these guys a call and have yourself a good little call. I am a positive thinker, not bitter at all.- and probably can also be called a joker. A joker who likes to get the last laugh. Especially from guys that just can't be open minded.

Still waiting for your evidence of bribes. I'll be here waiting.

Hughdad
10-29-09, 17:32

ThanksSPB,

So you and I go at each other. But seriously, as far as phones go. I have been using Skype Internet calling more and more (both in the US and Brazil). More and more people are using it. It is free for Skype to Skype calls and cheap for Skype to landlines/cell phone on a pay as you go basis. They even have video conferencing for free (Skype to Skpye). About 1/2 of my calls are now Skype to Skpye and the video conferencing can be great with a fun-loving lady friend!

www.skype.com

There, I made nice

HD

Poucolouco
10-30-09, 01:26
SPB,

So you and I go at each other. But seriously, as far as phones go. I have been using Skype Internet calling more and more (both in the US and Brazil). More and more people are using it. It is free for Skype to Skype calls and cheap for Skype to landlines/cell phone on a pay as you go basis. They even have video conferencing for free (Skype to Skpye). About 1/2 of my calls are now Skype to Skpye and the video conferencing can be great with a fun-loving lady friend!

www.skype.com

There, I made nice

HD

I dropped Skype after receiving scam charges through my PayPal account. This is rampant in the UK and there are numerous reports of it on the internet. If you don't have automatic refill activated you would probably never encounter it. PayPal (which owns Skype) initially balked at refunding the charges but my bank was able to adjudicate it with PayPal.

Hughdad
10-30-09, 02:28
I dropped Skype after receiving scam charges through my PayPal account. This is rampant in the UK and there are numerous reports of it on the internet. If you don't have automatic refill activated you would probably never encounter it. PayPal (which owns Skype) initially balked at refunding the charges but my bank was able to adjudicate it with PayPal.Good to know. I have had no such issues. Ebay just sold Skype.

Hughdad
11-02-09, 16:41
You sound like one of those corporate wall street guys who is involved in hedge funds and currency trading who are the lowest scum on this earth and I have no respect for. Your a freaking clown talking about forward thinking from that corrupt ass govt. They dont even help their own citizins any forward thinking means corporate greed where the rich get super rich and the poor get poorer. Thats not positve thinking thats just going with the winning team. Thats not open minded thats just following the status quo. I will go on the record to say it again brazil made illegal payolla to get the 2016 games.

So how much promises of oil did brazil make to get these 2016 olympics?

Do you have proof they didnt?No I am not a wall street guy. I wrote about my profession in this forum previously. I am a media entrepreneur launching a new business in Brazil. And you. You are a conspiracy theory guy. And wake up. The fact that the rich get richer is a global thing. Certainly not limited to Brazil. As a business person is it okay that I look to make some profits? I am sure everyone here is tired of hearing you make your Olympic bribery claims (and now you are throwing in Brazilian oil into the mix! ) It all may be true. But either show your proof or stop making your claims. And give the Olympic committee some credit for a great plan and presentation. That's all I am saying. You talk about all this payolla but yet you can't even figure out how to buy Brazilian cell phone credits and have to ask here for help. Without seeing your proof of payola there is just no reason to comment on this further here. You sound like a bitter dude that has not had success and you want to blame your problems on the government. I am neither pro or anti government. I am a free market guy and right now the free market in Brazil is good.

Rio Joe
11-03-09, 04:01
No I am not a wall street guy. I wrote about my profession in this forum previously. I am a media entrepreneur launching a new businessHughdad, just out of curiosity, what type of new biz? More specifically, what media niche are you involved with?

Hughdad
11-04-09, 18:21
EDITOR'S NOTE: This report was deleted because the content of the report was largely argumentative. Please read the Forum FAQ and the Forum's Posting Guidelines for more information. Thank You!

Scotob
11-04-09, 21:53
In the past, I thought I have read some reports about the validity of a soon to be expired tourists visa. My 5 year tourists visa expires on February 23rd 2010. I am planning on arriving in Rio on December 4th. Will I have any issues upon entering, being that the visa will expire within 3 months upon entering?

Eros74
11-04-09, 22:34
Strange that no one here ever mentionned the excellent brasilian TV serie Mandrake...Prosal thanks for do it, to mention it, I download it and it is very nice and I enjoyed it as it was made in Rio.

The best thing to do killing the time to go there back again :)

Hardly suggested.

IMHO.

Hughdad
11-05-09, 10:17
Prosal thanks for do it, to mention it, I download it and it is very nice and I enjoyed it as it was made in Rio... the best thing to do killing the time to go there back again :)

Hardly suggested....IMHO.Check out Filhos do Carnaval.

http://hbo-br.tv/series.asp

Poucolouco
11-05-09, 14:29
In the past, I thought I have read some reports about the validity of a soon to be expired tourists visa. My 5 year tourists visa expires on February 23rd 2010. I am planning on arriving in Rio on December 4th. Will I have any issues upon entering, being that the visa will expire within 3 months upon entering?
Actually, I experienced the exact same situation in 2005 and was advised by the Consulate to renew my visa. Your visa must be valid for 6 months after your date of arrival. Perhaps others have not had a problem with this issue. Unfortunately you must deal with three different entities to enter the country, the Consulate, the airlines, and the DPF, all of which have authority and discretion to delay or deny your entry.

Bravo
11-05-09, 14:47
In the past, I thought I have read some reports about the validity of a soon to be expired tourists visa. My 5 year tourists visa expires on February 23rd 2010. I am planning on arriving in Rio on December 4th. Will I have any issues upon entering, being that the visa will expire within 3 months upon entering?You wont have any problems, I just went thru this a couple of years ago. As long as you have a ticket showing that you are leaving the country before your visa runs out, you will be just fine.

Scotob
11-05-09, 22:38
Actually, I experienced the exact same situation in 2005 and was advised by the Consulate to renew my visa. Your visa must be valid for 6 months after your date of arrival. Perhaps others have not had a problem with this issue. Unfortunately you must deal with three different entities to enter the country, the Consulate, the airlines, and the DPF, all of which have authority and discretion to delay or deny your entry.I just hung up from the consulate in New York City, and I was told that as long as the visa has not expired, I will be OK with both entering and leaving the country. As one can read on the answers I have received (which I appreciate immensely) others are giving me conflicting answers.

Thanks to all!

Bravo
11-05-09, 23:05
I just hung up from the consulate in New York City, and I was told that as long as the visa has not expired, I will be OK with both entering and leaving the country. As one can read on the answers I have received (which I appreciate immensely) others are giving me conflicting answers.

Thanks to all!

No reason to be confused, I live in NYC too. Not sure what the other guys are talking about, but as long as you are leaving the country before your Visa expires, you will have no problems at all. I went thru the exact same situation a few years ago, I know what I am talking about.

Go, have a great time and remember to post your experiences when you return!!

Sperto
11-06-09, 10:39
Besouro, movie released one week ago.
Great movie, specially if you have an interest in Capoeira and Bahia .
http://www.besouroofilme.com.br

Hughdad
11-06-09, 14:49
I just hung up from the consulate in New York City, and I was told that as long as the visa has not expired, I will be OK with both entering and leaving the country. As one can read on the answers I have received (which I appreciate immensely) others are giving me conflicting answers.

Thanks to all!Follow the consulate's advice.

Java Man
11-06-09, 17:28
Besouro, movie released one week ago.
Great movie, specially if you have an interest in Capoeira and Bahia .
http://www.besouroofilme.com.brHong Kong cinema has finally arrived in Brazil. Trailer looks good. :)
It may be playing at Rio Sul. On website has it listed as playing there, another does not.

Sperto
11-06-09, 20:20
Hong Kong cinema has finally arrived in Brazil. Trailer looks good. :)
It may be playing at Rio Sul. On website has it listed as playing there, another does not.
I'm not sure what cinemas that shows the movie. I just downloaded a not-so-good-quality version on the internet. The movie is on my shopping-list, under "B", just before Bunda on Buenos aires 85.

Maybe this will help you to locate a cinema (or buy a newspaper if you're in Rio).
SALAS E HORÁRIOS
Box Cinemas São Gonçalo - Sala 4
16:45 | 18:55 | 21:10 | 14:25 exceto ***ça e quinta
Cine Caxias - CINE DUQUE SALA 4
15:10 | 17:15 | 19:20 | 21:25
Cinemark Botafogo - Sala 1
11:45 | 14:05 | 16:10 | 18:10 | 20:20 | 22:30
Sessões válidas somente dia 9 de novembro.
Cinemark Botafogo - Sala 1
13:40 | 16:10 | 18:30 | 20:50 | 23:15 exceto domingo
Sessões válidas de 6 a 8 de novembro.
Cinemark Carioca Shopping - Sala 1
14:10 | 16:20 | 18:30 | 20:40
Cinemark Carioca Shopping - Sala 7
11:10 | 13:20 | 15:30 | 17:45 | 20:05 | 22:10
Cinemark Downtown - Sala 1
11:05 | 13:10 | 15:10 | 17:25 | 19:40 | 21:50
Cinemark Downtown - Sala 10
14:50 | 17:05 | 19:10 | 21:20 | 12:45 exceto sexta | 23:35 exceto domingo
Cinesystem Bangu - Sala 1
14:10 | 16:10 | 18:10 | 20:10 | 22:10
Iguatemi Rio - Sala 7
15:10 | 17:20 | 19:30 | 21:40
Kinoplex Nova América - Sala 2
14:40 | 16:50 | 19:00 | 21:10
Kinoplex Tijuca - Sala 4
15:00 | 17:10 | 19:20 | 21:30 | 23:40 somente sábado
Madureira Shopping - Sala 1
14:50 | 17:20 | 19:20 | 21:20
Plaza Shopping Niterói - Cinemark - Sala 1
14:10 | 16:30 | 18:40 | 21:00 | 12:00 exceto sexta | 23:10 exceto domingo
Plaza Shopping Niterói - Cinemark - Sala 5
11:10 | 13:10 | 15:10 | 17:10 | 19:10 | 21:10
São Luiz - Sala 4
16:40 | 21:45
Shopping Bay Market - Sala 3
14:10 | 16:30 | 18:50 | 21:10
Shopping Grande Rio - Sala 4
14:40 | 16:50 | 19:00 | 21:20
UCI Kinoplex NorteShopping - Sala 9
13:50 | 15:55 | 18:00 | 20:00 | 22:05 | 00:10 somente sexta e sábado
UCI New York City Center - Sala 11
13:40 | 15:45 | 17:50 | 20:10 | 22:15 | 00:20 somente sexta e sábado
Via Parque - Sala 1
14:20 | 16:30 | 18:40 | 21:10

Smooth Slim
11-07-09, 06:05

Thanks to all! You should have no problem at all. My visa expired August 2009. I was in Rio in May returning to the USA in early June, and again in late June returning in July. I had no problem entering and leaving the country either time. If your return ticket shows you leaving before the visa expires you will be ok.

In fact I tried to renew the visa before it expired and the NY consulate told me I had to wait for it to expire first.

Monger X
11-07-09, 19:12
In my case my US Passport had to be renewed but it still has 3 years left on my 5 year visa. I called the Consulate in L.A. and they told me to just staple the expired Passport with the 5 year visa to the new one.
Now I know it came from "the source" but I sure don't want any surprises when I land in Sampa next month.
Anyone else have any experience with a similar situation?

Sperto
11-07-09, 20:17
Thank god, I'm European and not from the US. :D
No visa required. I just arrive and get a stamp in my passport.

Eros74
11-07-09, 20:27
Thank god, I'm European and not from the US. :D
No visa required....

The same for me, before to read here, I thought nobody needs visa for Brazil, so now I am happy to live here, maybe I need more time to get to Rio and at least 2 flights,no direct flight so far as I know, but with no visa and euro, I stop to complain :)

Gfe Finder
11-07-09, 20:29
In my case my US Passport had to be renewed but it still has 3 years left on my 5 year visa. I called the Consulate in L.A. and they told me to just staple the expired Passport with the 5 year visa to the new one.
Now I know it came from "the source" but I sure don't want any surprises when I land in Sampa next month.

Yes, I was in a similar situation on my last trip. Upon arrival, I handed the Rio immigration officials my current and expired passport. They checked that the expired passport's visa was still valid (it was), stamped the new passport, and I was on my way without incident. Same when leaving Rio.

Smooth Slim
11-07-09, 21:08

Anyone else have any experience with a similar situation?I would NOT alter the US Passport by stapling it. You should just simply carry both passports. I also traveled with a friend who had a new passport, with the visa in the old passport. He carried both. They checked the old passport for the valid visa and stamped the new passport for entry and exit.

Bravo
11-08-09, 02:07

Been thru this too. Just carry both passports with you on your trip, no need to staple anything.

Monger X
11-08-09, 21:20
Thanks guys for all the quick responses! Much appreciated!

Sunset Strip
11-10-09, 04:58
last year i posted a report about how my driver went nuts over pictures he saw of a girl i knew. he told her about it, which angered me. i then posted about a cab driver who followed me and her to my apartment trying to peek up her pantyless skirt. and while driving i caught him adjusting his mirror to get a look.

i believed these guys were going crazy over a little poozy!.

two posters, who shall remain nameless, chimed in that brazilian men are used to seeing poozy and it is gringos that go overboard. they also attempted to educate me about "the brazilian social oder" and how i was at the bottom of it. (????)

anyway, this story demonstrates how some young brazilian men act when they see a little pooozy:
http://www.inquisitr.com/46763/geisy-arruda-photo-video/

Sperto
11-10-09, 08:27
Brazilian men, regardless of their age, race, appearance and social status loves to look at and flirt with women. The woman doesn't need necessarily to be beautiful or young to get their attention. A big bunda is enough.

I find it quite amusing how a stunning girl walking down the street can get the attention of all the men in a radius of 300 metres, including bus-drivers, police officers and even the dogs on the street.

Looking at beautiful women, flirting with them, praising their beauty and eye-f**king them, all at the same time is something brazilian men have made into an art-form. They learn it as teens and practise it until they are so old that they hardly not can walk. This behaviour isn't because brazilian men are extremely horny or that they are hoping to get laid. Admiring the beauty of women is a part of brazilian culture. Everybody does it. Turning around looking at a bunda, making some psiu-psiu and whisper "gostosa"/"que delícia" is a normal behaviour in Brazil.

It's not like they go "overboard". They just do their process of looking/eye-f**king and then return back to what they were doing before.

On the part of the women, this behaviour of the men are quite accepted and often, but not always, appreciated.

RonnyRon
11-11-09, 17:24
Anyone on the ground care to speak about the black out last night? Sperto, Mr International, HughDad, ET?

RR

Exec Talent
11-11-09, 18:14
Anyone on the ground care to speak about the black out last night? Sperto, Mr International, HughDad, ET?

RR
On Saturday I was with my girl at Feira de São Cristóvão. We took the bus (474) from Copa and arrived about 8:30. We walked around a bit and decided to have dinner in a restaurant that had AC. Twenty minutes later the lights went out. This happened two times while we were having dinner. We went outside to do a little dancing and the lights went out again. When it happened again at 11:00, we took a taxi back to Copa.

Last night (Tuesday) the lights started to dim around 10:00. The TV went off and I shut off the ceiling fans which were at a crawl. Then all of a sudden around 10:30 the power went off everywhere. I was in the apartment in a safe area of Copa and glad of it. About 1:00 AM the lights came back followed by a loud cheer. They have been on every since though the internet did go down around 3:00 AM. Brazilians that I talked with today said there was some looting. Most shops in Copa have metal doors for a reason.

DaveWave
11-11-09, 19:17
Here's the report I'd like to hear about the apagao, the blackout:

"I was in the cabine at the termas, maybe 15 minutes in, when the power went out...."

Especially for the dudes covering the evening shift at 4 X 4, I feel your pain. Can you imagine finding your way through the labyrinth of hallways and corridors in pitch black darkness?

Boa sorte gente.

Mr Enternational
11-11-09, 23:55

RR
I was sitting in the plane. It was almost time to leave. About 20 minutes after departure time the pilot told us that we had not left because the airport had lost power out and we were waiting for a few more people to come on as well as the paperwork. I don't think he knew the extent of it at the time. The people finally got on and the paperwork was sent by satellite. We ended up leaving an hour late. When I got home and read CNN I saw the full extent of it.

Hughdad
11-12-09, 22:11

RRWas sitting at open window seat finishing a meal at a local restaurant near my hotel. Lights flicker. patrons applaud and cheer. Lights go out, they cheer more. Brazilians will celebrate anything. Watched the busy intersection without traffic lights. These drivers are not civil or patient with lights. Was great entertainment and better than nascar (never did see the attraction in that sport.) waiters were using cell phones as lights and getting bills settled to get the place closed. They are resourceful. Walked the 2 blocks back to the hotel and they would not let us up to the rooms saying the keys wouldn't work. Fortunately I was on the first floor (which I hated at check in. But it turned out perfect in the blackout). I snuck into the stairwell and used my cell as a light up the two flights and my room key opened the door. I opened the windows wide and hung out hoping Pietra would still come by. Earlier than planned knowing Luomo was going to have to close. I tried leaving a vm on her cell. 15 minutes later she is walking outside the hotel looking in and I call down to her. I walked back down and brought her up with me. I was so happy I saw her that afternoon and made plans to have her meet me at the hotel. Awesome night. She would be the one lady in Rio that I would want to spend the blackout with. She is so much fun. Only downside was we wiped out the mini-bar because I hadn't had a chance to hit the market before the stores had to close. Passed out with the lights still out. Awoke to find the city alive and kicking as if nothing happened at all. Every one has to get on with their lives.

EDITOR'S NOTE: I would suggest that the author or another Forum Member consider posting a link to this report in the Reports of Distinction thread. Please Click Here (http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/announcement-reportsofdistinction.php) for more information.