PDA

View Full Version : General Info

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Mr Enternational
11-14-09, 09:21
Walked the 2 blocks back to the hotel and they would not let us up to the rooms saying the keys wouldn't work. Fortunately I was on the first floor (which I hated at check in. But it turned out perfect in the blackout). I snuck into the stairwell and used my cell as a light up the two flights and my room key opened the door.
They are full of shit. The locks have batteries in them.

Hughdad
11-14-09, 11:15
They are full of shit. The locks have batteries in them.Right. Which is why I proceeded up to my room anyway to try.

Not sure why so hostile a response? I think they were honestly scrambling. Trying to adjust to the situation and keep everyone in order with just a few emergencies lights on in the lobby. There were some panicking tourists. I mean imagine just arriving in that crazy city a few hours earlier. In a neighborhood hotel, with a busy intersection just outside the front lobby door. And someone flips off the light switch. In the pouring rain. I have to say the staff at the Hotel Atlantico Copa is great, English speaking, holding and watching bags, sent up an attendant to assist with any need right away. And as I said previously rooms were spacious (if not the most modern and expensive furniture and bed) and the hot water was adundant with tremendous pressure. Their spaciou lobby has a nice little bar and plenty of seating areas to tuck away and do a meeting. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a moderate priced, centrally located launching pad into Rio. Luomo is 2 blocks away, Monte Carlo and the beach are 5 blocks away, the Metro is across the street, markets and stores everywhere. I booked it through Ipanema.comfor R$50 less than the hotel was asking directly. (I have had good success using Ipanema.comfor my short stay hotel needs. Very responsive and accomodating to travel changes.) I will be exploring a few more neighborhoods in the next month. And will start looking at long-term apartments with a business partner for late January or February. He'll be in Rio full-time, I'll be there 4 to 6 months next year.

In the lobby the day after the blackout, I was talking to a female guest. And we were trading travel disaster stories. She had been through hurricanes, floods, power outages, military actions. I had been through:

* an earthquake in SF (not so unusual),

* the massive Denver Christmas snow storm that shut the airport for a week (luckily I decided the airport was going to be shut down and to stay at the beautiful resort hotel I was at instead of trying to make the airport as a few colleagues did to get home for the holiday. And they ended up sleeping on cots for 4 days. I was sitting by a fireplace in the lobby drinking wine and playing pool and darts with the 10 other guests.)

* the NYC blackout a few months after 9/11. We weren't allow back in our hotels and ended up meeeting a nice restaurant owner that let us set up tables outside and drank wine with us all night. People were sleeping on the post office steps.)

* a tsunami evacuation in Hawaii (where you are ordered up the mountainsides. All the native Hawaiians stopped and bought cases of beer and starting make BBQs. Good times.)

Unfortunately, I was also working in mid-town Manhattan on 9/11. The saddest, most sobering day of my life.

EDITOR'S NOTE: I would suggest that the author or another Forum Member consider posting a link to this report in the Reports of Distinction thread. Please Click Here (http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/announcement-reportsofdistinction.php) for more information.

Dboy
11-15-09, 18:28
I've tried searching, but I can't find an answer. Can I bring packaged foods (sealed) into Brazil, like cereal, peanut butter or nuts?

Bravo
11-15-09, 18:42
Do the apartment buildings have back up generators? I was having a conversation last night with a friend and I said. "Imagine if you were stuck in an elevator when the power went out? No air conditioning, no bathroom, no water!!" From what I had been hearing, Rio has been brutaly hot the past week of so. I think I would have had a stroke if I had been stuck in the elevator for an extended period of time.

Amerioca
11-15-09, 19:17
Do the apartment buildings have back up generators?

No, most do not. The Homeowner Associations are too cheap to buy them.

KellySlater
11-15-09, 19:22
I've tried searching, but I can't find an answer. Can I bring packaged foods (sealed) into Brazil, like cereal, peanut butter or nuts?I have brought in packaged foods in both my carry on and checked baggage. Have never had an issue or question.

Cho 637
11-16-09, 03:39
Check out Filhos do Carnaval.

http://hbo-br.tv/series.asp

Anyone know if its available on DVD?

Cho 637
11-16-09, 03:40
i have brought in packaged foods in both my carry on and checked baggage. have never had an issue or question.

i brought some canned tuna in once and it was confirep001ed by customs. however they didn't bother 2 half gallons of apple pucker! :)

The Watcher
11-16-09, 07:29
I've tried searching, but I can't find an answer. Can I bring packaged foods (sealed) into Brazil, like cereal, peanut butter or nuts?

I have brought peanut butter for an American friend who lives in Rio and I have brought pretzels for Bobby of Blame It on Rio with no problems; however, in each case, this was several years ago. Recently, I know of an American who brings a suitcase full of packaged food with no problems.

Hughdad
11-16-09, 11:10
I've tried searching, but I can't find an answer. Can I bring packaged foods (sealed) into Brazil, like cereal, peanut butter or nuts? I have brought in cereal, pancake mix and syrup, peanut butter, green tea mix on several occassions. They were in a 70 lb duffle bag. I made pancakes for some GDP morning guests I had one time and they loved them! And Arizona Iced Tea now makes a sugar free Pomegranate Green Tea mix that they love as well.

I had no problems bringing these in but they were in checked 70 lb duffle bags. Most people don't know you can bring in 70 lb bags from the US. Not 50 lb (check with your airline though.)

I also used a cargo shipping service to ship down small appliances, kitchen items, etc. Paid a flat fee by box size. Takes at least 2 months for it get to Brazil and clear customs. They combine with other shipments. Limitations on how many of certain items you can have and how they have to be packed (out of original boxes to make resale tougher.) I shipped 2 big boxes to a friend's (total of nearly 300 lbs) ahead of this trip for $650 US and they were there waiting when I visited her. Everything I need to help set up a place. I focused on things they (really) overcharge for here: pots and pans and kitchen utensils, good pillows/sheets and blankets (which I used one of those air bag storage devices to suck out all the air so everything is really flat and took up much less room. Also better protected in shipping), small appliances and electronics (ipod port system, fans, juicer, food processor, etc.) I needed to buy a simple hand can opener last time and paid R$19. I realized they charge a fortune for that stuff here.

I have found a peanut butter in stores here now (Magic Time). Creamy and Chunky. Like Skippy. But R$16 for a small jar. They also have lots of green tea mixes now too. My question is. Why is ice cream so damn expensive in supermarkets here? They have tons of cow farms, tons of sugar. I stay away from buying frozen ice cream in stores and treat myself to a large soft serve sorvette waffle cone for R$1. 30 at a local palce instead. Beats the hell out of that small bland cosqinha (sp?) you get at Mickey D's for R$1.50.

Sunset Strip
11-16-09, 19:27
I always take packaged foods and goods with me into Brazil. Usually I have canned luncheon meat, whiskey, peanut butter (it is said that Americans always crave peanut butter once they are away for awhile), and plastic silverware.

I have never been stopped at customs. They DO know what is in your bag, I now realize, because on my last return the airline people specifically asked of I had any alcohol in the bag. I am sure they have it listed somewhere that I usually carry whiskey in my checked baggage.

You can buy most food you would want in grocery stores in Rio. But some things just do not taste the same.

TJ

Golfinho
11-16-09, 20:01
I always take packaged foods and goods with me into Brazil. Usually I have canned luncheon meat, whiskey, peanut butter (it is said that Americans always crave peanut butter once they are away for awhile), and plastic silverware.

I have never been stopped at customs. They DO know what is in your bag, I now realize, because on my last return the airline people specifically asked of I had any alcohol in the bag. I am sure they have it listed somewhere that I usually carry whiskey in my checked baggage.

You can buy most food you would want in grocery stores in Rio. But some things just do not taste the same.

TJThe Snickers don't taste the same. Neither do the peanut m&m's. Different nuts.

Poucolouco
11-17-09, 04:31
TJ

Gee, I always thought when the airline screeners asked if I had alcohol in my bags they were screening for flammable liquids. Do you suppose they have a record of my drinking habits? ;)

Hughdad
11-17-09, 08:36

TJThey also have it listed whether you like your martinis shaken or stirred. More important than security measures to them.

Sperto
11-20-09, 15:48
TAM and GOL are the two major companies for domestic air travel inside Brazil.

GOL: A good news is that they now accept payment with foreign credit cards when buying tickets online. Excellent! It also very good that all of you who still have points with Smiles (Varig) can use them for exchange for tickets with GOL.

TAM: TAM is strange. They only accept payment with foreign credit cards when buying tickets online as long as it's done on their website as "outside Brazil". Those prices are much more expensive than if you buy your ticket on their website as "inside Brazil". At least 50% more expensive.

To get their "national prices" you'll need a CPF (which I can find reasonable) and also a brazilian credit card.
I got pissed of and called TAM. They explained that it's supposed to be cheaper for brazilians to buy their tickets, than it's for gringos. Weird!

I've noted that in general the prices on air tickets within Brazil is considerable cheaper than one year ago. :)

Bravo
11-20-09, 16:35
TAM: TAM is strange. They only accept payment with foreign credit cards when buying tickets online as long as it's done on their website as "outside Brazil". Those prices are much more expensive than if you buy your ticket on their website as "inside Brazil". At least 50% more expensive.

To get their "national prices" you'll need a CPF (which I can find reasonable) and also a brazilian credit card.
I got pissed of and called TAM. They explained that it's supposed to be cheaper for brazilians to buy their tickets, than it's for gringos. Weird!

I've noted that in general the prices on air tickets within Brazil is considerable cheaper than one year ago. :)

I went to the Varig office here in the states and tried to purchase a one way ticket from Rio to Curitiba, they wanted $275 bucks!! I was like WTF?!!! I had a brasilian friend call Varig in brasil and got the same exact flight for only 140R!!

Sperto
11-20-09, 16:54
I went to the Varig office here in the states and tried to purchase a one way ticket from Rio to Curitiba, they wanted $275 bucks!! I was like WTF?!!! I had a brasilian friend call Varig in brasil and got the same exact flight for only 140R!!
A big difference indeed.
The next time you can buy the ticket at the low price from the states, on GOL website (GOL owns Varig), and pay with your credit card.
http://www.voegol.com.br

Hughdad
11-20-09, 17:26
TAM and GOL are the two major companies for domestic air travel inside Brazil.

GOL: A good news is that they now accept payment with foreign credit cards when buying tickets online. Excellent! It also very good that all of you who still have points with Smiles (Varig) can use them for exchange for tickets with GOL.

I've noted that in general the prices on air tickets within Brazil is considerable cheaper than one year ago.:)There is a third major domestic airline in Brazil now, Azul (see: http://viajemais. Voeazul. Com. Br/). It was started by David Needleman and the original JetBlue folks (from the US). They basically took over the Campinhas International Airport as their hub in Brazil. About an hour to 75 minutes from GRU. Until they arrived the airport was mostly cargo (it is the largest carga airport in Brazil). They fly all over Brazil. They use the SD airport in Rio so you are closer to Centro. GOL started adding discount service from the Campinhas airport now to stay competitive. Campinhas is close to my MG home and it is very convenient to get in and out of there. Small modern airport. R$8, 20 minute shuttle bus service from the Rodovario in Centro Campinhas. They also fly direct from Rio to several locations.

Azul has an Advantage program (like GOL) and you get a free flight after so many. I have been paying R$60 one way from Campinhas to Rio, and Rio to Curitiba is listed as R$129 on a quick search. The closer to your date, the capacity drys up and prices increase.

I have been able to make reservations on both Azul and Gol (they both have English sepaking assistance but go through the numbers listed on their .com.br websites) and then pay at the airport 1 & 1/2 hours beforehand. I have also been able to use a US credit card on phone and web reservations. But could not do the multiple payment arrangement they offer Brazilians. US credit cards don't support that. Now I use a friend's credit card here and she gets to make 6 payments without interest. I just give her the R$ upfront and she books for me.

Azul is a great airline and they are creating a pricing war here with GOL and TAM. They are trying to get more Brazilians to fly (over 95% traveling mostly by bus).

EDITOR'S NOTE: I would suggest that the author or another Forum Member consider posting a link to this report in the Reports of Distinction thread. Please Click Here (http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/announcement-reportsofdistinction.php) for more information.

Rock Harders
11-20-09, 19:12
Mongers-
Brasilian domestic air travel IS getting cheaper because of the increase in competition. The emergence of WebJet and Ocean Air as low-cost carriers has forced prices down across the board. Due to the rising economy, large population, and shear geographical size, I would expect many more domestic carriers to come on the scene within the next few years. At some point I expect LAN to open a Brasilian affiliate, although this prospect was damaged a bit by Taca merging with Avianca (which controls and is affiliated with OceanAir). OceanAir will grow to become a major domestic carrier in the next few years and will add regional international flights as well.
GOL now has a cooperation with American Airlines in that AA Advantage members can earn miles on GOL flights. In the near future, the cooperation will grow to include redemption of miles for free flights. For purchases on the internet and phone, GOL has always accepted international American Express cards. Now it appears on their international English website that they accept V/MC as well but I have not personally tried it so I cannot verify. Keep in mind that GOL will allow you to simply make a reservation and pay for it at the airport in either cash or with any credit card at their POS terminal. Also, GOL has very, very reasonable rules for making changes on purchased tickets, with only nominal fees.
Suerte,
Rock Harders

Sperto
11-20-09, 20:06
Mongers-
Brasilian domestic air travel IS getting cheaper because of the increase in competition. The emergence of WebJet and Ocean Air as low-cost carriers has forced prices down across the board. Due to the rising economy, large population, and shear geographical size, I would expect many more domestic carriers to come on the scene within the next few years. At some point I expect LAN to open a Brasilian affiliate, although this prospect was damaged a bit by Taca merging with Avianca (which controls and is affiliated with OceanAir). OceanAir will grow to become a major domestic carrier in the next few years and will add regional international flights as well.
GOL now has a cooperation with American Airlines in that AA Advantage members can earn miles on GOL flights. In the near future, the cooperation will grow to include redemption of miles for free flights. For purchases on the internet and phone, GOL has always accepted international American Express cards. Now it appears on their international English website that they accept V/MC as well but I have not personally tried it so I cannot verify. Keep in mind that GOL will allow you to simply make a reservation and pay for it at the airport in either cash or with any credit card at their POS terminal. Also, GOL has very, very reasonable rules for making changes on purchased tickets, with only nominal fees.
Suerte,
Rock Harders
Webjet, Oceainair, Rico etc etc are only small competition, but still competition. All of them have been around for years. Reasonable prices, acceptable services but not that great prices unless you're going into some city very off-the-track. The mainly have flights in the North and North-East and the prices are not very low.

Visa/Mastercard with GOL... visa confirmed (as mentioned below), worked excellent.

Jan 156
11-21-09, 10:23
My own experience of booking internal flights has been like anything else in Brasil - things Brasilian just follows their own rules. With GOL, rather than booking online, I printed out the best online price on the day then went round four different agencies round Prado Jnr and Isabel and got four wildly different prices. The one that had sold me some of my carnaval tickets and a rather sexy assistant who stared into my eyes, (coincidence shoorly!) eventually 'discovered' they could give me the best price. Is there any rule to be gleaned? I don't think so. Just persevere.

Very recently I was on the point of buying some TAM internal flights (but booking from my home country). Their online prices for the particular trips were (to my surprise) already better than GOL. But I checked with my usual international travel agent and she was able to trim off another large chunk. Again, I can't say, here's how I did and you can save yourself time and hassle. I can only suggest, put in the same time and hassle (whatever you're willing to expend), investigate all the options, and hopefully your efforts will pay off.

Hughdad
11-21-09, 11:40
My own experience of booking internal flights has been like anything else in Brasil. Things Brasilian just follows their own rules. With GOL, rather than booking online, I printed out the best online price on the day then went round four different agencies round Prado Jnr and Isabel and got four wildly different prices. The one that had sold me some of my carnaval tickets and a rather sexy assistant who stared into my eyes, (coincidence shoorly!) eventually 'discovered' they could give me the best price. Is there any rule to be gleaned? I don't think so. Just persevere.

Very recently I was on the point of buying some TAM internal flights (but booking from my home country). Their online prices for the particular trips were (to my surprise) already better than GOL. But I checked with my usual international travel agent and she was able to trim off another large chunk. Again, I can't say, here's how I did and you can save yourself time and hassle. I can only suggest, put in the same time and hassle (whatever you're willing to expend), investigate all the options, and hopefully your efforts will pay off.The entrance of Azul in the market has really shaken things up. Similar to when People's Express started in NYC decades ago, and then Southwest. Not only have prices become competitive, customer service and support has really improved. I take 2 domestic flights per week on average here in Brazil, I also still use the bus systems. But becoming less and less and air prices have come down. If you pre-plan at least several weeks out you can get great airfares. I make regular weekly trips and am booked up to 6 weeks ahead. If you wait to the last minute you might find high prices and think about the bus. (No different in the US with 14 or 21 day advance fares as a general rule.)

No need to run around to agencies if you plan ahead. I book flights online in minutes. This new airline war is another sign Brazil is moving ahead. Surprised you guys did not know about Azul.

Sperto
11-21-09, 12:04
Interesting with flights within Brazil is that many times it's cheaper to fly than taking the bus (I don't miss the 50 hours bus journeys from Fortaleza to Rio).

If you want to get a ticket in the cheapest classes you have to be quick. On some routes during high season there are only expensive tickets, then suddenly appears tickets in the cheap class. They might last only for some hours before they are gone.

Sperto
11-21-09, 21:06
The entrance of Azul in the market has really shaken things up. ... This new airline war is another sign Brazil is moving ahead. Surprised you guys did not know about Azul.
I only thought they were not worth mentioning. These "low cost" airlines pop-up every now and then in Brazil, but die quickly (like BRA etc...). Azul is just another minor competitor like Webjet, Oceanair, TRIP, RICO...

Azul started about one year ago. I havn't tried them yet because of several reasons. What I've heard they havn't got a very good reputation, they don't travel to so many destinations and don't have really competitive fares.

This week I was buying four domestic tickets for my coming journey. TAM and GOL were considerably cheaper than AZUL in all cases.

JohnnyBraz
11-21-09, 23:21
I only thought they were not worth mentioning. These "low cost" airlines pop-up every now and then in Brazil, but die quickly (like BRA etc.). Azul is just another minor competitor like Webjet, Oceanair, TRIP, RICO.

Azul started about one year ago. I havn't tried them yet because of several reasons. What I've heard they havn't got a very good reputation, they don't travel to so many destinations and don't have really competitive fares.

This week I was buying four domestic tickets for my coming journey. TAM and GOL were considerably cheaper than AZUL in all cases.I will be checking out a few domestic flights in brazil out early next year. It is cheaper for me to fly straight to Rio (aerolinias argentinas, and gain more frequent flyer points) then fly from Rio to another brazilian city. I was looking at heading to Rio this December, but flights are either booked out or a rip off. Quantas want 10000 aud, approx. 9300 us dollars, lan chilie 5900 aud (5500 USD). Other than that I have to fly sydney to london, then london to Rio and it's approx the same. So it is off to Thailand (phuket) for the x mas and new year, then book a flight after the crazy christmas inflated prices end and spend 6 months off 2010 in brazil.

Cho 637
11-22-09, 09:08
Its 2:06am CST on comcast channel WYIN a show featuring Brazilian music.

Rock Harders
11-22-09, 10:15
Mongers-
Both OceanAir and Webjet are more than minor competitors at this point in the Brasilian domestic market. Both airlines fly to just about all major Brasilian cities from both Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro. OceanAir especially has many flights and is often the cheapest on the Sao Paulo to Rio-Santos Dumont route. OceanAir is owned by the Taca/Avianca group and will be expanding its presence enormously in the very near future. At present, both companies only take Brasilian credit cards over the phone and online, but a reservation can be made over the phone and the ticket can be paid for up to two hours before the flight with an international credit card or cash. Both companies have English speaking operators available.
On a different note, I forgot to mention in my last post that the cheapest tickets I have found on TAM have been booked through travelocity, especially on the EZE-GRU and EZE-GIG routes.
Sorte,
Rock Harders

Hughdad
11-22-09, 11:16
I only thought they were not worth mentioning. These "low cost" airlines pop-up every now and then in Brazil, but die quickly (like BRA etc...). Azul is just another minor competitor like Webjet, Oceanair, TRIP, RICO...

This week I was buying four domestic tickets for my coming journey. TAM and GOL were considerably cheaper than AZUL in all cases.Not sure where you are getting your info on Azul. Not minor at all. Needleman is a major dude that built JetBlue, took that public, and I hear will be taking Azul public. There reputation is great amongst the Brazilians I work and speak with here in Brazil. Prices are as cheap or cheaper to Gol when booked in advance. First rate service (online, at airport, and in skies - where you pick multiple snacks yourself (try the Azil potato chips made from blue potates.) Route map is good and growing. On time record is good. They do tend to book up fast because they are considered chic, so best rates go quickly.

Sperto
11-22-09, 14:03
Mongers-
Both OceanAir and Webjet are more than minor competitors at this point in the Brasilian domestic market. Both airlines fly to just about all major Brasilian cities from both Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro...
I would hardly call it just about all major brazilian cities. WEBJET only covers 10 of the 27 brazilian capitals, OCEANAIR 14 capitals, AZUL 13 capitals and very few other cities.

I travel a lot over Brazil and just about always I find the best prices with GOL and TAM. Anyway, it's good that they get some competition.

Sperto
11-23-09, 08:35
Not sure where you are getting your info on Azul...
Excellent if you're happy with them.
IMO they travel to few destinations and are too expensive.

AZUL don't travel to the capitals in the west/northwest/north (except Manaus). AZUL is also missing important (to me) capitals as Macapá, Belém, São Luís etc.

It depends on your needs if they suite you.

Bravo
11-23-09, 12:30
My friend and I were recently talking about a GDP we knew in Help who was rumored to be HIV positive. She left rio in august and got married to a guy in Sweden. Now I know in order to get a fiancee visa to the states, the girl has to take an HIV test. Is it the same for europe too?

KellySlater
11-23-09, 13:30
My friend and I were recently talking about a GDP we knew in Help who was rumored to be HIV positive. She left rio in august and got married to a guy in Sweden. Now I know in order to get a fiancee visa to the states, the girl has to take an HIV test. Is it the same for europe too?I think we just changed that law-

http://www.thebody.com/content/art54235.html

Sperto
11-23-09, 13:37
My friend and I were recently talking about a GDP we knew in Help who was rumored to be HIV positive. She left rio in august and got married to a guy in Sweden. Now I know in order to get a fiancee visa to the states, the girl has to take an HIV test. Is it the same for europe too?
No need for that in Europe.
IMO I think it's a good idea to test both of you anyway.

Riofan6
11-23-09, 14:27
My friend and I were recently talking about a GDP we knew in Help who was rumored to be HIV positive. She left Rio in August and got married to a guy in Sweden.Can you supply any more details about this girl? Do you know whether she had any kids? Where she went in Sweden. Etc, etc?

TIA

Bravo
11-23-09, 20:40
Can you supply any more details about this girl? Do you know whether she had any kids? Where she went in Sweden. Etc, etc?

TIA

2 kids. Unfortunately, I have no idea where she lives in Sweden.

Sprite13
11-24-09, 07:27
It's great to see that Brasil is opening its skies for more competition. I have used in the past Varig, WestJet and Ocean Air, Gol, Tam (I'm a Fidelity member with them; they also happen to have an alliance with Air Canada so any points earned with them can be used with Air Canada and vice versa). Varig and Air Canada are also part of Star Alliance but I'm not sure whether they have an agreement for their points being used with each other.

Air Canada is great since they have a daily direct flight from GRU to Toronto. If only they would finally add a direct flight from Toronto to Rio, they would be awesome, thus making that connection to boring GRU a thing of the past.

I have found so far that between Gol and Tam, Gol's rates are about a good 20% cheaper than Tam's. Another thing that I have noticed is that airfares have drastically increased in the past few years. I remember, in 2005 and even 2007, I was able to get a GRU-GIG for about 99 Reais and a GIG-BSB for 150 Reais. Now, it's easily double that amount.

So far the cheapest option I've found is to buy my internal flight tickets along my international flight together say from Expedia. This way, I'm able to get an international round trip to GRU, then connection to FOR and then to GIG and back to GRU before leaving Brasil for about $1000 to $1100. Which is not bad when you consider that if one were to buy a GIG-FOR round ticket, it would cost easily 700-900 Reais alone.

All in all, this is wonderful to see more competition if that means better service and better prices for us, the customers.

Btw, the link provided for Azul's site, is not working.

Sperto
11-24-09, 07:35
... Btw, the link provided for Azul's site, is not working.
http://viajemais.voeazul.com.br

Sprite13
11-24-09, 07:42
Thanks Sperto!:)

Hughdad
11-24-09, 11:34
Btw, the link provided for Azul's site, is not working.When I cut and pasted it - somehow a space was added after each dot in the URL. Sorry I did not catch.

Azul also offers a free Onibus shuttle service from GRU to Campinhas (I believe) for those flying Azul in Campinhas. I have never used. I think their site has info. I noticed that GOL in Campinhas is being very competitive now. Just booked a few flights there to Rio for R$59 for a few weeks from now. That R$10 cheaper each way than what I was able to book on Azul.

Hughdad
11-24-09, 22:48
That unforunate they make anyone take that hiv test because the hiv test is inaccurate and gives a false reading.Another conspiracy theory? please explain and enlighten us all.

Monger X
11-25-09, 03:35
Will be arriving in Sampa Dec 5 and thinking of spending 2 nights at Staybridge Suites on Rua Banderia, Paulista before meeting my co-worker on Monday. Is this a good choice? What is nearby in terms of clubs, massage?
Also I've been communicating with a GDP who is offering 2 hours for R$300; is that about right? Too much? Any suggestions greatly appreciated- PM if you want.

Sprite13
11-25-09, 07:35
Very interesting that info about the free shuttle between GRU and Campinas. Anyone knows how long is that ride? Just curious.

Thanks.

When I cut and pasted it - somehow a space was added after each dot in the URL. Sorry I did not catch.

Azul also offers a free Onibus shuttle service from GRU to Campinhas (I believe) for those flying Azul in Campinhas. I have never used. I think their site has info. I noticed that GOL in Campinhas is being very competitive now. Just booked a few flights there to Rio for R$59 for a few weeks from now. That R$10 cheaper each way than what I was able to book on Azul.

Hughdad
11-25-09, 18:13
Very interesting that info about the free shuttle between GRU and Campinas. Anyone knows how long is that ride? Just curious.

Thanks.I was told the complimentary Azul shuttle goes from GRU to Campinhas airport (about 60 to 75 minutes). But looking at it online it appears to be for shopping trips for traveling in Campinhas. Perhaps the airline can give more info. Sorry for any misinformation on my part.

There certainly are other buses that run from Tiete to Campinhas rodovario and some bus companies may actually go just between the 2 airports without hitting the rodovarios (bus stations). Caprioli may be one of the companies.

Sperto
11-26-09, 06:51
Thanks.
There are info on their site:
http://www.voeazul.com.br/aspx/servicoOnibusGeral.aspx

The shuttle don't pass GRU, and of course it's not for shopping trips.

Hughdad
11-26-09, 10:44
There are info on their site:

http://www.Voeazul. Com. Br/aspx/servicoOnibusGeral. Aspx

The shuttle don't pass GRU, and of course it's not for shopping trips.Hey Sperto,

Thanks for sarcastically pointing out my information error. But as you see in my post below. I actually caught my information error before you and posted some additional and corrected info. You have provided some really useful info to this site for a long, long time. And I have cited your terrific reports and thanked you for them. But I am quite capable of owning up to my own errors and correcting them. Don't you have anything better to do with your time? I do, I am off to Rio again in a few days!

Hughdad
11-26-09, 11:09

Thanks.Sprite13,

As I mentioned in a previous post, my info on the Azul shuttle was wrong. Here's some info on bus shuttes available from GRU to Campinas if interested:

How to get to Campinas

For those arriving at the São Paulo International Airport (Guarulhos/Cumbica):

? There is a shuttle bus at Terminal 2, Wing see (Caprioli enterprise). The timetable can be seen here for the São Paulo Airport to Campinas Bus Station trip. The ticket costs about R$ 35, and it will take about 90 minutes to arrive in Campinas Bus Station. There are are $8 shuttles from Campinas Bus Station to Viracopos Airport in Campinas.

For those arriving at Viracopos Airport, in Campinas:

? There is a shuttle bus from the Airport to Campinas Bus Station. The bus timetable can be seen here. The ticket costs about R$ 8, and the ride takes about 20 minutes.

? Another option is to take a taxi straight from Campinas Airport to the venue. It takes about 25 minutes and costs about R$ 45, 00.

Caprioli is a bus company that I know of that provides both services. Hope that helps. Sorry again about misinformation I originally received and reported here. I usually head to Viracopos directly from my home in MG. Occassionally I take a shuttle from GRU to Tiete Rodoviario (R$8) then a bus to my home (approx. $35. $40). (Note: I also just started exploring SP more and there is a Metro station at Tiete. So if you bus into Tiete you can get out into SP by Metro)

Sperto
11-26-09, 16:17
... ... ...I do, I am off to Rio again in a few days!
No need for hard feelings.

Sprite13 asked for info on the shuttle. An interesting question. A quick look at the AZUL site gave the answer he was looking for. The shuttle don't pass GRU.

You wrote that the airline shuttle was for shopping trips. It seemed a bit strange to me. A correction seemed useful. After all the forum is for exchanging info. Incorrect info might cause problems to others.

Hughdad
11-26-09, 16:49
No need for hard feelings.

Sprite13 asked for info on the shuttle. An interesting question. A quick look at the AZUL site gave the answer he was looking for. The shuttle don't pass GRU.

You wrote that the airline shuttle was for shopping trips. It seemed a bit strange to me. A correction seemed useful. After all the forum is for exchanging info. Incorrect info might cause problems to others.My apologies to you. A perfect example of me needing to keep learning the language. I quickly looked on the Azul website and interpreted the Onibus page (with all the pick-up's at shopping sites) to mean that they took passengers there during lay-overs. And I thought you were just being sarcastic. And I normally really enjoy good sarcasim (which you are really quite good at)- I can be sarcastic as hell myself. I was just trying to be helpful, as you were. Apologies again. And thanks again for the mountains of useful info you have provided here.

Sprite13
11-27-09, 07:40
Hughdad and Sperto,
Thanks for both you for all the info provided. After, it seems that the most convenient and easiest way to get from GRU to Rio is to take a flight from GRU to GIG. I also heard that West Jet offers a flight from GRU to SDU. I was under the impression that the only flights going from SP to SDU were from Congonhas and not form GRU. Now this flight from GRU to SDU with West Jet was cheaper than both Tam and Gol. Now this is something to keep in mind, specially with the close proximity of SDU to the Zona Zul and even closer (even walking distance?) to Centro! Will definitely keep that in mind!

Hughdad
11-27-09, 10:37
Hughdad and Sperto,

Thanks for both you for all the info provided. After, it seems that the most convenient and easiest way to get from GRU to Rio is to take a flight from GRU to GIG. I also heard that West Jet offers a flight from GRU to SDU. I was under the impression that the only flights going from SP to SDU were from Congonhas and not form GRU. Now this flight from GRU to SDU with West Jet was cheaper than both Tam and Gol. Now this is something to keep in mind, specially with the close proximity of SDU to the Zona Zul and even closer (even walking distance?) to Centro! Will definitely keep that in mind!Yes, I have walked to Centro and the Metro to go down to Copa from SDU with a light bag. I did it during the day. I still am leery about walking around Centro at night when alone. I am usually with others.

BionicMan
11-27-09, 18:36
Hughdad and Sperto,
Thanks for both you for all the info provided. After, it seems that the most convenient and easiest way to get from GRU to Rio is to take a flight from GRU to GIG. I also heard that West Jet offers a flight from GRU to SDU. I was under the impression that the only flights going from SP to SDU were from Congonhas and not form GRU. Now this flight from GRU to SDU with West Jet was cheaper than both Tam and Gol. Now this is something to keep in mind, specially with the close proximity of SDU to the Zona Zul and even closer (even walking distance?) to Centro! Will definitely keep that in mind!Depends on where you are in SP....Congonhas is relly in town and insome cases you go through much less traffic problems than GRU (not that I say that driving to Congonhas is traffic-free!) But something is making 5km in bad traffic and something is making 15 or 20!

Jon32
11-28-09, 13:44
Anyone have experience driving around Brazil? Is it safe? Specifically the route from Rio to Florianopolis. Should I be worried by myself in a car? Thanks....

Bornran
11-28-09, 16:59
I'm in Rio every month and I always rent a car. I'm a new york driver so I am accustomed to traffic, yet brazil seems to take the cake in terms of total anarchy on the road. Yet once you get your me FIRST mindset you should be ok. Thus far I only been in one accident, a drunk driver with a tranny passenger at like 2 am. I can not speak in terms of safety from violence as I never experienced and hope to never, yet the police seem very helpful esp with a little propina, LOL.

Edward M
11-28-09, 18:23
Now that Varig and AA are partners has anyone tried to book flight on AA using their Varig miles? I called AA a two weeks ago and they claimed not to have heard about the partnership but gave me the number 800 468 2744 to call Varig. I got a lot of static and could barely hear but they said they were Varig and, yes, they could book AA flights for me with my Smiles miles. However, the number no longer seems to work. I just get a dead line.

I went to Varig's site and after some searching I found the number 55 11 3127-9900. I am not sure how much it will cost calling this number but would prefer a US number.

Jan 156
11-28-09, 19:59
Anyone have experience driving around Brazil? Is it safe? Specifically the route from Rio to Florianopolis. Should I be worried by myself in a car? Thanks....
How long is a piece of string. Do you have much knowledge of Brasil? Have you travelled interstate? Is your Porto good enough to navigate interstates? If so, and you're happy to cross the usual Brazilian hurdles, I suppose, why not. But I never have, so can't tell you yes. Personally, I would drive in somewhere like Belo Horizonte but not in Rio (tho some board members have). I'm quite an adventurous driver. I've driven in many countries including developing ones. On coastal routes in Brasil though, I don't think highjacks are a worry. I'm more concerned with potholes and crazy drivers.

Sperto
11-28-09, 20:26
Now that Varig and AA are partners has anyone tried to book flight on AA using their Varig miles? I called AA a two weeks ago and they claimed not to have heard about the partnership but gave me the number 800 468 2744 to call Varig. I got a lot of static and could barely hear but they said they were Varig and, yes, they could book AA flights for me with my Smiles miles. However, the number no longer seems to work. I just get a dead line.

I went to Varig's site and after some searching I found the number 55 11 3127-9900. I am not sure how much it will cost calling this number but would prefer a US number.
0800 121 121
http://www.smiles.com.br/smiles/content/faleconosco/centralsmiles.htm

They also have online help/chat.

I used Smiles (Varig) milhas last week for issuing tickets with GOL. I did it on their website and it worked great.

Golfinho
11-28-09, 23:53
Anyone have experience driving around Brazil? Is it safe? Specifically the route from Rio to Florianopolis. Should I be worried by myself in a car? Thanks. Have no reservations about driving anywhere. Just watch out for Burracas, prepare for roadhouse style hotels, get insurance, think twice about driving at night. And, take the hubcabs off and stick them in the trunk before you go.

Edward M
11-29-09, 01:17
0800 121 121
http://www.smiles.com.br/smiles/content/faleconosco/centralsmiles.htm

They also have online help/chat.

I used Smiles (Varig) milhas last week for issuing tickets with GOL. I did it on their website and it worked great.Thanks Sperto. Can you elaborate? Did you do everything online without making a phone call? What web site, Varig or Gol? Is that 0800 number a US phone number?

Rock Harders
11-29-09, 02:55
Mongers-
As of today, Smiles miles CANNOT be used to book tickets on AA and AAdvantage miles CANNOT be used to book tickets on GOL. However Smiles miles can be EARNED on AA flights and AAdvantage miles can be EARNED on GOL flights. As of right now, this is the full extent of the AA-GOL partnership. In the near future you can expect the relationship to grow to include elite qualifying miles and redemption of miles, and possibly codeshare. To avoid confusion, remember that when GOL bought Varig they took over their Smiles frequent flier program; so in reality, Varig is dead, all former Varig flights are now GOL flight numbers and staffed by GOL pilots and flight attendants, and the former Varig website now redirects to GOL's website. The only remaining vestige of Varig are the 737-800's that still bear Varig livery. If you can get on the Varig 737-800's do it because they are roomier and more comfortable than the GOL 737-800's. These planes are still flown on the EZE-GIG, EZE-GRU, and EZE-FLO routes, among others.
Suerte,
Rock Harders

Lorenzo
11-29-09, 03:22
I drove from Belo Horizonte to Ouro Preto and back, and around both cities, although Ouro Preto is really a big town with a lot of tourists. There is a modern 4-lane highway between the two cities with a grassy median strip, similar to an interstate highway in the US, but with less traffic. No problems. Personally I would not drive in Rio, what with drivers running red lights and other crazy things, but that's just me.

If you are going to call Brazil, it's best to get an international calling card at Walgreen's, CVS, Walmart, etc. Otherwise, the phone companies will gouge you.

Sperto
11-29-09, 08:35
Thanks Sperto. Can you elaborate? Did you do everything online without making a phone call? What web site, Varig or Gol? Is that 0800 number a US phone number?
NOTE: This is for issuing GOL-tickets using Smiles milhas.
I know nothing about issuing AA-tickets using Smiles milhas.

It was a piece of a cake. :)
1. http://www.smiles.com.br/smiles/index_html
2. Log into your Smiles account.
3. Choose "Issue your ticket".
4. You'll be redirected to GOL (who owns former Varig).
https://compre2.voegol.com.br
5. Choose your cities, date etc.
A ticket within Brazil normally cost 10000 miles. On some routes there can be tickets available on reduced miles, 6000 miles.
6. Finish issuing your ticket.
You have to pay the airport tax, R$ 19,62. I did it online with my VISA card.

If you need assistance you could call Smiles Service Center.
Unites States:
• Open:Languages: English / Spanish / Portuguese: 24 hours
• Tel: 0800 121 121
• Fax:55 11 3127-9900

Westy
11-30-09, 00:55
anyone have experience driving around brazil? is it safe? specifically the route from rio to florianopolis. should i be worried by myself in a car? thanks.i wouldn't dare speak of the marvellous city, but i rented a car in curitiba (2006) and drove from there to guarapuava (my niece), blumenau (oktoberfest), and floripa (plus around the island). had a great time, no troubles. except getting lost in curitiba, twice, and being stopped at a policia post on br-101 and accused of speeding. (i wasn't; i was in the right lane, getting passed by everybody). i kept very-politely asking "did the officer get the license-plate? " until the officer reported by radio "the car had dark tinted windows" (mine were dead-clear, and that's when they let me go with an apology. i sincerely thanked them for working to keep us safe.)

as long as you're careful and leave your nascar impressions back home in the usa, i think you'll be able to do just fine.

Albert Punter
11-30-09, 09:38
I have rented a car a few times to drive outside of the cities (inside cities I usually take cab).
It was OK, helped in some cases by tomtom, no apparent danger.
I am fluent in Portuguese so this may help in case of hassle.

Bravo
12-01-09, 04:53
How long can you retain your phone number? Unfortunately I have not been in brasil for 5 months (July1st), I am concerned that my number will no longer work when I arrive in january. Anyone know how long your number will last if you dont use your phone?

El Greco
12-01-09, 05:04
How long can you retain your phone number? Unfortunately I have not been in brasil for 5 months (July1st), I am concerned that my number will no longer work when I arrive in january. Anyone know how long your number will last if you dont use your phone?

If you charge it with enough aiirtime for 3 months it will be valid for another 2.

A total of 5 months is the maximum.

Mr Hustle
12-01-09, 05:10
Fyi, for those planning on visiting Rio in the near future and HELP. Its done, its over. The quality of ladies have dried up and nonexistent. MP isn't much help. Best to do the GFE for a few days as opposed to looking towards HELP. Watched many people leave the place empty handed and talked to a few men who stated, save your $30 to $40 reais and don't enter. Many are asking where did the women go? The termas, the office, etc.

Good luck

El Greco
12-01-09, 05:13
You have to pay the airport tax, R$ 19,62. I did it online with my VISA card.

Thank you very much for all the info. One question though.

Are you sure you used a VISA card and not an AMEX ?

I keep an AMEX card only to use with them because as far as I know they only accept AMEX from foreigners. Unless they recently changed it.

Thanks

El Greco
12-01-09, 05:36
anyone have experience driving around brazil? is it safe? specifically the route from rio to florianopolis. should i be worried by myself in a car? thanks....

i drove from rio to buzios and from there to vitoria and then to porto seguro. i got two tickets leaving buzios within 15 minutes from each other.first one 400 reais and the second was 800.
i thought the speed limit was 60km and was driving 58 but it was 50km/hr

so watch out for the lampadas with cameras and read the signs written on the surface of the road approaching them. slow down when passing them and you will be ok.

i now drive all the time i am in fortaleza with no problem.

the worst part was entering bahia. the road was full of holes and we changed tyres twice so make sure your spare one is in good condition,

i need an international driving licence for brasil. so check this out too before leaving home and drive with your shoes on otherwise you will get a fine.

also have always an eye on the car otherwise can be easily stolen.

good luck.

Bravo
12-01-09, 05:41
If you charge it with enough aiirtime for 3 months it will be valid for another 2.

A total of 5 months is the maximum.

Damn, that sucks, I have had that number for 8 years!! Looks like I will have to get a new one when i go back next month.

JohnnyBraz
12-01-09, 06:49
How long can you retain your phone number? Unfortunately I have not been in brasil for 5 months (July1st), I am concerned that my number will no longer work when I arrive in January. Anyone know how long your number will last if you don't use your phone?a few years ago I didn't return to brazil for 8 months and still retained my same tim number. I have had it for over 3 years now. But I am generally in brazil every couple of months.

Sperto
12-01-09, 07:37
Thank you very much for all the info. One question though.
Are you sure you used a VISA card and not an AMEX ?
I keep an AMEX card only to use with them because as far as I know they only accept AMEX from foreigners. Unless they recently changed it.
Thanks
Yes, I used VISA.
AMEX used to be the only international card that GOL accepted for buying tickets online. It has changed, now they accept VISA (and I think Mastercard as well).

Sprite13
12-02-09, 07:56
I have also been able to use Visa on the Gol site since 2005. Before, on the main page, when buying a ticket, they were requesting a CPF, so the way around this was to select Argentina under country and then, I was able to complete the transaction. However, not only everything was in Spanish but the charge was also in Argentine Peso. Now, seems that they have wisen up and have made things easier for making reservations online for non Brasileiros.

Sperto
12-02-09, 20:55
If you look for a ticket with GOL at a cheap price it's worth checking the GOL-site several times a day.

I've been "missing" one ticket. Salvador-Rio on the wednesday (17 Feb) when the carnival finish. This is a hard day to find a ticket at a good price as many brazilians go back home that day. The prices on that day have been about R$ 600-1000 for the last two weeks. Suddenly tonight there were prices from R$ 189+tax 19 (to Santos Dumont). A busride (27 hours) cost R$ 260. Got me a ticket. :)

This phenomena with cheap prices on GOL-tickets suddenly turning up occurs every now and then. Nice!

Sometimes GOL and TAM have special promotions where you can buy tickets for just 1 real. I never got one of these super promotions, but they do exist. I have a brazilian businesspartner who bought tickets to four different destinations at the total cost of R$ 25+taxes.

Sexmachine1
12-03-09, 05:53
I am trying to call a cell phone in Rio. I am dialing 011-55-21-xxxx-xxxx

I know that 011 is for international dialing from the US and 55 is for Brazil. The problem is the 2 digits before the 8 digit Cell phone no. Is the 21 for the land line or the cell phones as well?

I called this no. from my Claro cell phone, while in Brazil, without dialing any area code, just the 8 digit no.

So from US, if 21 is not right, what would I use instead? I have no idea what brand that SIM card is?

Thanks for the help guys

SM1

Poucolouco
12-03-09, 20:10
I am trying to call a cell phone in Rio. I am dialing 011-55-21-xxxx-xxxx ... So from US, if 21 is not right, what would I use instead?
SM1

If your party is in Rio, then you are dialing correctly. The Rio de Janeiro local area code is 21. If you activated your Claro phone in Rio then it also would have a 21 prefix and you could dial within that area with only the 8-digit number. I suggest you just try your call later.

Sexmachine1
12-04-09, 04:28
If your party is in Rio, then you are dialing correctly. The Rio de Janeiro local area code is 21. If you activated your Claro phone in Rio then it also would have a 21 prefix and you could dial within that area with only the 8-digit number. I suggest you just try your call later.Thanks for the reply but you may have misunderstood me. I am calling from my Landline in US. Does it matter what other party's cell phone brand is? Do I still put 21 even if it is Claro, Oi or another Brand?

Also, I've tried it with 21 at different times but it just doesn't connect.

SM1

Poucolouco
12-04-09, 17:23
Thanks for the reply but you may have misunderstood me. I am calling from my Landline in US. Does it matter what other party's cell phone brand is? Do I still put 21 even if it is Claro, Oi or another Brand?

SM1
No, I did not misunderstand you. The calling protocols are international for all telephone connections. They are not dependent on landline nor cellular, nor carrier. Perhaps your party has a phone from a city other than Rio. Perhaps your party no longer has an operating telephone. Here is a link to calling codes in brasil.

http://www.countrycallingcodes.com/country.php?country=Brazil

Jan 156
12-04-09, 18:01
I have, at times, had problems calling in and out of Brasil, even with all the 'accepted' international protocols. Sometimes the standard intro and exit codes just don't work, and I've had officials suggest alternatives (no, can't remember what they are, sorry!)

But the most common scenario I think is a blip. If you can't get thru, try again in a few hours or the next day.

Some cell phones in Brasil do seem to have their own peculiarities. And of course, many are simply unable to accept international calls, end of story.

Sperto
12-04-09, 19:06
Calling to Brazil is a lottery.

Even though you call the correct number you might get to a machine that tells you that the number doesn't exist, a strange tone or somebody answers that don't belong to that number.

Mobile phones are not that bad, except for the "fora da area ou desligado".

When calling to fix phones it might be problematic. Sometimes they added a number "3" in front of all numbers. OK. Call again... An empregada/kid/sobrinha/vizinha answers and tell you to wait one minute while she gets senhora YYY. "YYY, fone, vem rapido!" and tells you that she´s coming within one minute. Twenty minutes later the same procedure is going on. I go nuts when this happens...

Solution: Call back! Finally, you might get lucky.

Still, I look on the bright side. When I started to travel to Brazil the communication was letters or sometimes fax to the local phone/post office. The communication took weeks.

Now we have internet, email, orkut, msn etc. In a minute I'm watching one of the future "Miss Sperto" on the webcamera doing the "te amo, saudades"-routine.

Lorenzo
12-04-09, 23:14
When calling to fix phones it might be problematic. Sometimes they added a number "3" in front of all numbers. OK. Call again... An empregada/kid/sobrinha/vizinha answers and tell you to wait one minute while she gets senhora YYY. "YYY, fone, vem rapido!" and tells you that she´s coming within one minute. Twenty minutes later the same procedure is going on. I get nuts when this happens...
Hmmm.....the shock of recognition. All this time I thought this happened only to me!

Exec Talent
12-04-09, 23:22
An empregada/kid/sobrinha/vizinha answers and tell you to wait one minute while she gets senhora YYY. "YYY, fone, vem rapido!" and tells you that she´s coming within one minute. Twenty minutes later the same procedure is going on. I get nuts when this happens...

Seriously, what is up with that! It had happened to me a few times and I thought I had misdialed until I checked the phone logs.

Sexmachine1
12-05-09, 04:33
So I guess I have to keep trying since i'm dialing with right digits. Can't wait to talk to this Garota. she is in my dreams every night. God, I gotta get back to Rio.

El Greco
12-05-09, 15:10
Thanks for the reply but you may have misunderstood me. I am calling from my Landline in US. Does it matter what other party's cell phone brand is? Do I still put 21 even if it is Claro, Oi or another Brand?

SM1

From what I know the company you are using has to have a contract with the other party's cell phone company so they can pay each other for their services.

Check with your company then for both phone calls and sms exchanging (in case you are using a cell phone).

Eg I could call but not send sms's. They only had contract for phone calls only.

Hope it helps

Poucolouco
12-05-09, 16:35
So I guess I have to keep trying since i'm dialing with right digits. Can't wait to talk to this Garota. she is in my dreams every night. God, I gotta get back to Rio.You didn't say what happens when you call. Does the phone ring at the other end. Do you receive a recorded message or is the attempt to call disconnected?

Sexmachine1
12-05-09, 16:45
So, finally, I called again and it connected. I used 21 and it worked. But the sound quality was really bad. We had hard time understanding each other with my limited Porto and her limited English. Anyways, I will try it some other time.

Finally, I can sleep easy tonite.

SM1

Rio Bob
12-06-09, 06:58
Recently there was a discussion that Meia Pataca employees were better than Terraco Atlantico employes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-ZrG3bVj9I

Bimbo Boy
12-11-09, 01:25
... An empregada/kid/sobrinha/vizinha answers and tell you to wait one minute while she gets senhora YYY. "YYY, fone, vem rapido!" and tells you that she´s coming within one minute. Twenty minutes later the same procedure is going on. I go nuts when this happens...

This happens to me only when I use services like Truphone. Never with Skype or with direct calls.
I believe it is some sort of scam. These people must gain money the more you stay online waiting.
Regards.B.B.

Sperto
12-11-09, 07:11
This happens to me only when I use services like Truphone. Never with Skype or with direct calls.
I believe it is some sort of scam. These people must gain money the more you stay online waiting.
Regards.B.B.
It happened to me a lot of times when I called to Brazil from back home, on the usual line, no Skype etc. I have no idea if they gain money from me waiting on the line.

It could be a cultural phenomena. The person answering the phone gets so excited by an international call that she starts yelling for senhora XXX even though she´s two blocks away at the padaria. Or it could be because of laziness. The person answering the phone does some halfhearted yelling from the sofa where her lazy ass is rooted, watching a novela.

I don't know what's most annoying, waiting or that the person answering gets back to the phone every third minute telling you that now senhora XXX is coming just wait for one more minute.

Golfinho
12-13-09, 13:37
As anywhere else.

Simply with good looks, language skills, cultural awareness, humor, initiative, imagination, self-confidence, charm, discernment, sensitivity, poise, time and of course cash.

Anyhow don't dream. The days when sex-hungry gringos on a one week holidays were an option for normal brasileiras are long, long, long gone. And don't think that less-travelled areas may offer you better chances with non-pros than cosmopolitan big cities. Even in provinces foreigners have a reputation as culturally inept sex tourists and girls have figured out since long that we only want to fuck them, so gringos are now more a curiousity to avoid than anything else.

BTW Cuiaba is a quite boring and uninspiring place. Better go to Goiania IMO.Has this character actually BEEN to Goiania? It's impossible to tell because there isn't anything being said here. A lot of other posters say they're going, then. Nothing.

OK, for anyone interested. I've been about half-a-dozen times in the last couple of years, including extended stays and excursions to the interior. North and west as far as Toncatins. Goiania: actually two cities in one. In the northern section. Zona airport (small, so reserve your car in advance) and rodovaria (actually a big, nice one, but it had ought to be as that's the major transit means for the estado) there is a whole lot of nothing. And it's big. Shabby hotels, fast food and grub meals only. Low-level prive, bar-sitters (kin of the SW) near the bus station/cheapest hotel area. A pain royal to navigater and drive through this mess. Southern sector the zona of the mais alto. High-rise blocks of flats, shopping malls (1st word style), green-belt parks, liveable with 4-star hostelry, restaurants, clubs, et. Al. Best strip club in town is on the main SP-Brasilia highway. Also out on the highway is the main attraction not to be missed. A gigantic complex Las Vegas-esque of sex motels, boites, woman of all types and descriptions, bars: it's a themepark of sex. (And see if it doesn't conjure to your mind Las Vegas.) A true oasis. The place is always open but comes alive at night on weekends. Before this times out on me here, just ought to say: the interior is conservative. But, you will be a novelty which plays favorably. So long as you're young enough and can dress appropriately, I. E. Sort of like them. Bottom line: most visitors will be content with seeing the City once, in my opinion, if that tells you anything.

Golfinho
12-13-09, 14:01
As anywhere else.

Simply with good looks, language skills, cultural awareness, humor, initiative, imagination, self-confidence, charm, discernment, sensitivity, poise, time and of course cash.

Anyhow don't dream. The days when sex-hungry gringos on a one week holidays were an option for normal brasileiras are long, long, long gone. And don't think that less-travelled areas may offer you better chances with non-pros than cosmopolitan big cities. Even in provinces foreigners have a reputation as culturally inept sex tourists and girls have figured out since long that we only want to fuck them, so gringos are now more a curiousity to avoid than anything else.

BTW Cuiaba is a quite boring and uninspiring place. Better go to Goiania IMO.Goias interior. As we know, Goias supplies a disproportionate number of the sex providers working in Europe, particularly in Spain. Girls from the smaller cities. And miniscule rural towns as well. Have done a turn or two in spanish boites and brothrels after having been recruited by the trafficking gangs. What this means for the (sex) tourist in Goias is that while a native English speaker can be a rare site, once they learn you are a foreigner, you'll be initially assumed to be Espanhol. A curious thing until you realize that the working girls return home with Spaniard spouses. Most towns have at least a couple of these guys living out their golden years. Until I met a few, had thought it was strange to see ATM machines in banks in the middle of nowhere offering two language options: Portuguese and Castillian. Apparently, these guys are great for the local economy. There surely isn't a whole lot much of else going on. Of course, if you're native to the rural south or west of the USA, you might find something kindred in the ambience and overall tenor of life in interior Goiais.

Hioctane
12-15-09, 20:14
I have been to DR and Colombia. Many people have been talking about Brazil. Making me want to go!

My question is. Which city should I go and which is best for me?

Here is what I gather so far.

1. Brazillians have the "best bodies" in the world.

2. Brazil is the only latin country with the "spa" experience.

3. Everyone seems to go to Rio

4. Rio is the cheapest city in Brazil.

5. Rio is dangerous (there are safe parts. Just not sure where).

6. Sao Paulo. Is the MOST expensive city but might better suit my tastes.

Also, these are my preferences. I would love to check out the spa experience (some cities don't seem to have). I like light skin/mocha colored latin women. Spinner types with big boobs (real or fake). Which is why I love Medellion, Colombia.

What city do you recommend I visit and why?

Pure Power
12-16-09, 04:55
I have been to DR and Colombia. Many people have been talking about Brazil. Making me want to go!

Also, these are my preferences. I would love to check out the spa experience (some cities don't seem to have). I like light skin/mocha colored latin women. Spinner types with big boobs (real or fake). Which is why I love Medellion, Colombia.

My friend, just get the Bubba Boy Guide and go to Rio and get it over with. It covers everything you will need for your first trip.

Forget all the rest of Brazil until you try Rio because it has it ALL!!

There is NO better place in the entire world to seek what you wish, that's why I recommend Rio de Janeiro for you amigo.

Sperto
12-16-09, 06:52
I wish that was true.

Prosal
12-16-09, 10:58
Has this character actually BEEN to Goiania? It's impossible to tell because there isn't anything being said here. A lot of other posters say they're going, then. Nothing. I've been there.
And since when going to Goiania is a kind of Fantastic Journey ? It's barely a 1 hour 15 mnts flight from Congonhas, with some 15 flights a day !

So you've been there. Great. I also, and more than once. I reported. As Sperto and some others here BTW. And ?

Tell me you've been mongering in Ashgabat or in Grozny and I'll be MUCH more impressed.

Jan 156
12-16-09, 12:26
So you've been there. Great. I also, and more than once. I reported.
Could you post a link to one of your reports please Prosal.

Golfinho
12-16-09, 16:29
And since when going to Goiania is a kind of Fantastic Journey ? It's barely a 1 hour 15 mnts flight from Congonhas, with some 15 flights a day !

So you've been there. Great. I also, and more than once. I reported. As Sperto and some others here BTW. And ?

Tell me you've been mongering in Ashgabat or in Grozny and I'll be MUCH more impressed.This is typical of what you've got to say: NOTHING.

Golfinho
12-16-09, 16:34

Tell me you've been mongering in Ashgabat or in Grozny and I'll be MUCH more impressed.Everyone! Your reason for being here is to 'impress' Comrade Prosal. Try to keep that in mind as you post reports for this man.

Hughdad
12-16-09, 17:18
Tell me you've been mongering in Ashgabat or in Grozny and I'll be MUCH more impressed.Why would he discuss that here? This is a forum about Brazil. Why are you even here anymore if all you can discuss is your "alleged" adventures elsewhere? When was the last time you were even in Brazil? I ask because I want to see if anything you have to say has any relevance anymore.

(Guys, if we all just ignore this dude he will probably go away. Something tells me he just likes the abuse he gets here.)

Prosal
12-16-09, 18:12
Could you post a link to one of your reports.

I actually went back on the search engines and had a look for Prosal's post about Brasil. Seems he ....
Humm. Let me understand. So you can make searches to back up how I'm a moron, but can't make a single [Brasil --> Other areas --> Goiania] search ? :rolleyes:

So here it is (FYI you will also find many others from me about provincial Brasil since the very beginning of this board): http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/showpost.php?p=560222&postcount=242

As you ask one of my reports and are undoubtedly a worldly person, here is my most recent complete travel contribution : http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/showpost.php?p=856556&postcount=169

Happy Xmas and NYE period from Tbilissi, Georgia.

;)

Jan 156
12-16-09, 18:44
Humm. So let me understand. You can make searches to back up how I'm a moron, but can't make a single [Brasil --> other areas --> Goiania] search ? :rolleyes:

So here it is (FYI you will also find many others from me about provincial Brasil since the very beginning of this board): http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/showpost.php?p=560222&postcount=242

As you ask one of my reports and are undoubtedly a worldly person, here is my most recent complete travel contribution : http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/showpost.php?p=856556&postcount=169

Happy Xmas and NYE period from Tbilissi, Georgia.

;)

No - just fascinated to read a Brasil report from you. I already know you post lots of good posts about Eastern Europe and will consult them if I am ever in that part of the world. Was it '07 you were in Goaiana?

Accurate, actual reports that are time/place/cost etc specific are useful no matter who they are from generally. I can listen to maladros if they have what I want (which is up to me to determine): I give anyone's reports a once over. Sorry you had to dig back so far to find one, but thanks.

Hioctane
12-16-09, 21:57
I wish that was true.How would you rank the cities price wise?

Hioctane
12-16-09, 22:06
My friend, just get the Bubba Boy Guide and go to Rio and get it over with. It covers everything you will need for your first trip.

Forget all the rest of Brazil until you try Rio because it has it ALL!

There is NO better place in the entire world to seek what you wish, that's why I recommend Rio de Janeiro for you amigo.I have read the guides. But there are some things that guides can't tell you. Such as the danger factor. Some guys are telling me not to be in certain places after 9pm and some places you shouldn't step foot in. Also, everyone has their own tastes in the type of women they like. I hear northern Brazil is darker skin than the south. Nothing against the skin color. It's just my preference. Same as some places supposedly has lots of women with big asses (which tend to be thicker). I prefer them thinner. More athletic body with big boobs. I'm just trying to see what you all think is best for me and my preferences.

Sperto
12-17-09, 11:38
Jackson, I think a lot of people here would appreciate if Prosal could get his own thread.

Golfinho
12-17-09, 16:14
Humm, and something tells me that you are under a full moderated mode for a reason.

;)Reason being: having not anted up the $20 'membership' fee?

Sperto
12-17-09, 20:14
How would you rank the cities price wise?
I'm not eager to do a price ranking of the brazilian capitals. Let's just say that Rio and Sao Paulo is more expensive than the north and northeast.

Of course you can live and f**k cheap in Rio, but if you want to enjoy yourself the money tends to roll away quickly in Rio.

Hughdad
12-17-09, 22:09
I have read the guides. But there are some things that guides can't tell you. Such as the danger factor. Some guys are telling me not to be in certain places after 9pm and some places you shouldn't step foot in. Also, everyone has their own tastes in the type of women they like. I hear northern Brazil is darker skin than the south. Nothing against the skin color. It's just my preference. Same as some places supposedly has lots of women with big asses (which tend to be thicker). I prefer them thinner. More athletic body with big boobs. I'm just trying to see what you all think is best for me and my preferences.Rio has all shapes, colors, sizes. Enough to meet your varied tastes. And you even take several ladies on at a time if you are into sampling. There is a ton of info here if you do a little more work and searching here. There is even a forum about safety in Rio. Think of looking there?

Ryjerrob
12-18-09, 06:28
I have read the guides. But there are some things that guides can't tell you. Such as the danger factor. .

The more you travel to Brazil, the more you'll learn. You're correct, the guides are just that, guides. They are full of great info, but you have to find your own way at some point. For me, reading the various reports just gives me more reasons to explore, and learn more. As for danger, generally speaking, you should never put yourself in any situation that you don't feel comfortable with. That being said, you should still never let others dictate what your learning experiences will be. Be cautions, but have fun.

ryjer.

Member #3439
12-18-09, 06:29

Replies by number above:

1. No, that's exaggeration based on mongers' experience with city garotas that are good looking enough to kick for trade.. In places like Angra, Piracicaba, and so forth outside the cities, the quality of the locals is very low..fat and scrubby. Ride for a few hours through the country outside Sao Paulo or Rio and you'll see how the physical fitness and average score tapers off outside city limits.

3. Everybody seems to go to Rio because it has regular international flights, beaches, a reputation for fun, and is extremely easy for gringos to navigate. Many of us go there on business and not because it was our choice for mongering. If I was traveling to SA on my own cash, I'd probably go to Med or Quito.

4. No, but it is probably the best value as in terms of experience/reals spent. Read the Fortaleza or other areas thread.

5. Any major city is dangerous if you get into the wrong area or handle things improperly. Stay in Ipanema if you are worried about crime. Its very nice. Keep a low profile, read the crime/safety thread, don't start stuff with locals, and you'll be fine.

6. For the color and type of girls you like, yeah, SP would be better...but it sounds like it makes better sense to just stick with Medellin if they have everything you love and it is cheaper. If it ain't broke, why fix it? :)

Ryjerrob
12-18-09, 06:38
If it ain't broke, why fix it? :)

Ditto on that. There's nothing wrong with staying in your comfort zone. If you want to grow as a monger, you need to broaden your horizons.

Ryjer

Sprite13
12-18-09, 06:50
Even tough we all agree that Prosal's latest run of only speaking badly of Brasil along with constantly referring to FSU in the Brasil forum is getting very tiresome, I will just say that for the sake of fairness, he USED to provide a lot of great info on other cities in Brasil in the past. He used to be very helpful with questions before. Not sure what happened to him to make a total 180% turn against Brasil. Probably he must have gotten pretty badly burnt to be so bitter about Brasil and everything about Brasilians. Oh well. Que pena!

Ryjerrob
12-18-09, 07:10
Probably he must have gotten pretty badly burnt to be so bitter about Brasil and everything about Brasilians. Oh well.

The back and forth between he and Sperto, is interesting, to say the least. There seems to be some real hatred. A newbie is gonna have troulble making decisions/plans based on the bickering. I don't blame either of them, but the whole thing is getting old. I know it's difficult to give unbiased info here, but you they seem to go back and forth. I love the info they give, and have at times followed in Sperto's footsteps, but I wish they would both just ignore each other!!!!!!!!

Ryjer

Ryjerrob
12-18-09, 07:32
What if people submitted their manifestos about the sport of mongering in Brazil? These could all general information about the sport in Brazil. They could be limited to certain things like money, regular girls, clubs/boites, travel within the country, and a small narrative on your best experience. Nothing about GFE/Pro versue Non pro (muddies the waters too much). Imagine the wealth of info!!!!!! I would say you'd have to be a member with a minimal od 300 posts. Not that this number holds any significance, but a really involved senior member. I think it's an ineresting proposition. I'm already working on mine.

Ryjer

Sperto
12-18-09, 08:02
The back and forth between he and Sperto, is interesting, to say the least. There seems to be some real hatred.
Ryjerrob, of course I don't hate Prosal.
In the FSU-section Prosal makes good reports. In the Brazil section he made just about ONE useful "field report", about Goiânia. Other than that his posting mainly consist of hateful complaints on Brazil, FSU-preaching and praising himself as the most impressive highroller in the history of mankind. Just because he's so bitter after his bad experiences of Brazil and the brazilian women, there is no need to attack posters who have valuable information to share. Like he recently attacked Zingadoon, Christopherd, Hughdad, Sprite13 and others.

I think it would be better if he had his own thread.

Ryjerrob
12-18-09, 08:39
In the FSU-section Prosal makes good reports. In the Brazil section he made just about ONE useful "field report", about Goiânia. Other than that his posting mainly consist of hateful complaints on Brazil, FSU-preaching and praising himself as the most impressive highroller in the history of mankind. Just because he's so bitter after his bad experiences of Brazil and the brazilian women, there is no need to attack posters who have valuable information to share. Like he recently attacked Zingadoon, Christopherd, Hughdad, Sprite13 and others.

I think it would be better if he had his own thread.

I agree, but just didn't want to say, trying to keep the peace.

Prosal
12-18-09, 09:48
In the FSU-section Prosal makes good reports. In the Brazil section he made just about ONE useful "field report", about Goiânia.
I don't make "field reports" simply because P4P has never really interested me, my burrinho. Nonetheless I've given dozens of infos such as this one (thanks Prosal, Hughdad says) :

http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/showpost.php?p=938812&postcount=320

And I'm not surprised that you associate yourself to a guy like Zingadoon, who is simply a flamer (doubled by a cheapo not even able to pay his 19.90$ contribution).

Anyway as your call to Jackson seem to be a dead call,better you and your twin mongers follow Ryjerob advice, which is using your ignore list bottom instead of stalking my posts.

Do that please. After all, you're nor a stalker nor a flamer, and you have not enough time on your hands to spend 2 hours a day on ISG for useless disputes, don't you ?

:rolleyes:

Sperto
12-18-09, 10:47
I don't make "field reports" simply because P4P has never really interested me, my burrinho. Nonetheless I've given dozens of infos such as this one (thanks Prosal, says Hughdad) :
And I'm not surprised that you associate yourself to a guy like Zingadoon, who is simply a flamer (doubled by a cheapo not even able to pay his 19.90$ contribution).
Anyway as your call to Jackson seem to be a dead call,better you and your twin mongers follow Ryjerob advice, which is using your ignore list bottom instead of stalking my posts.
Do that please. After all, you're nor a stalker nor a flamer, and you have not enough time on your hands to spend 2 hours a day on ISG for useless disputes, don't you ?
Just a good advice. Considering your bad experiences with non-pro's in Brazil, P4P could be a good choice for you if you want some bunda. Just leave the cheap skanky ones for me.
Cheers

Prosal
12-18-09, 11:00
Just a good advice. Considering your bad experiences with non-pro's in Brazil, P4P could be a good choice for you if you want some bunda.
Oh well, still flaming, deriding and insulting. Old habits never die.

What exactly in "put me on your ignore list" you don't understand ?

You have a weird agenda indeed. Do yourself a favor and show the world you are not a spiteful psycho: stop hatefuly stalking my posts, stop making controvertial BS statements about what others are or are not, and stop pontificating about what must be said or not on ISG like if you owned the place. And put me on your ignore list. Oh, and don't answer to this post.

Nonetheless I imagine that more probably, you'll just continue to be yourself. Old habits never die.

Sperto
12-18-09, 11:13
I don't make "field reports" simply because P4P has never really interested me, my burrinho.
The purpose of this forum is "the exchange of information between men who are looking for sex with women." You've stated clearly the impossibility of scoring non-pro's in Brazil (at least in your case). You've no interest in pro's (P4P). It doesn't leave much else to post about in the Brazil threads, except FSU propaganda.

You're so eager to conflict posters that you even contradict your own posts.

BH is by no means a "non-pro paradise". Minas is undoubtedly the most conservative state in Brasil, and girls there behave accordingly.

BH is surely one of the best hidden sex secret in Brasil.

RonnyRon
12-18-09, 17:02

I think it would be better if he had his own thread.Give Prosal his own thread and let him post away.

RR

Golfinho
12-18-09, 17:51
I don't make "field reports" simply because P4P has never really interested me, my burrinho. Nonetheless I've given dozens of infos such as this one (thanks Prosal, Hughdad says) :

:rolleyes:I'm just here to share information what what I saw in the places I''ve visited. Hope some guys find it useful. Prosal apparently has another agenda. Proving anything to this character is not on the list of priorities. His Goiania report, btw, appears as if it could have been culled from the internet, telephone directory, newspapers, what have you: Info you would have after 5 minutes of being on the ground there. It would be ideal if the Prosal could ignore me but he evidently speaks a different languange. Bah-bah, moo, oink-oink burrinho, here's to you enjoying your Tbilisi manger mates.

Hioctane
12-18-09, 20:34
Replies by number above:

1. No, that's exaggeration based on mongers' experience with city garotas that are good looking enough to kick for trade.. In places like Angra, Piracicaba, and so forth outside the cities, the quality of the locals is very low..fat and scrubby. Ride for a few hours through the country outside Sao Paulo or Rio and you'll see how the physical fitness and average score tapers off outside city limits.

3. Everybody seems to go to Rio because it has regular international flights, beaches, a reputation for fun, and is extremely easy for gringos to navigate. Many of us go there on business and not because it was our choice for mongering. If I was traveling to SA on my own cash, I'd probably go to Med or Quito.

4. No, but it is probably the best value as in terms of experience/reals spent. Read the Fortaleza or other areas thread.

5. Any major city is dangerous if you get into the wrong area or handle things improperly. Stay in Ipanema if you are worried about crime. Its very nice. Keep a low profile, read the crime/safety thread, don't start stuff with locals, and you'll be fine.

6. For the color and type of girls you like, yeah, SP would be better...but it sounds like it makes better sense to just stick with Medellin if they have everything you love and it is cheaper. If it ain't broke, why fix it? :)Thanks! That helped a lot.. :)

I've narrowed it to SP and Rio and will do more research.

The two negatives about Medellin is that there are no freelance clubs and there are no termas! Termas sounds like something I really want to experience. I hear it's nothing compared to Asia but I'll get to there some day as well :D The GFE/anal factor is something that is really appealing too in Brazil.

Jake993
12-19-09, 00:28
Don't you think we've had enough of the school yard antics? We get that you guys don't like each other. Message received.
I would put you BOTH on my ignore list except that I normally value both your posts too much. You are valued mongers and a credit to the forum. But this has gone far enough. Please just shake hands and let's get back to information about pussy.
;) пожалуйста мой друг - por favor o meu amigo

JohnnyBraz
12-19-09, 07:05
You have valuable wealth about mongering globaly, but it isn't about Brazil.

Can Jackson give you your own section?

Member #3439
12-20-09, 09:35
Thanks! That helped a lot.. :)

I've narrowed it to SP and Rio and will do more research.

The two negatives about Medellin is that there are no freelance clubs and there are no termas! Termas sounds like something I really want to experience. I hear it's nothing compared to Asia but I'll get to there some day as well :D The GFE/anal factor is something that is really appealing too in Brazil.

Good, you are well motivated then. Termas are great, every man should experience a high end termas once in his life. In Rio, try L'uomo in Copacabana and 4x4 in Centro at minimum. In SP, I can vouch for Bacos and Dreams and recommend that you check Kilt and Cafe Foto.

In the freelance aspect, Rio has a nice vibrant scene on Ave. Atlantica for guys who like to feel like the hunter. I understand that Love Story in SP is also very good. Consider the escort agencies that are listed here in another thread. They are a good value.

It sounds like Med is conservative and you aren't used to GFE there..in that case, you'll like Brasil. I feel that most of the GdP's really like their jobs and are "sex robots", as Lukasek said in a recent post. This makes for GFEs as you mentioned. I've met a couple GdP's that were somewhat reserved and just trying to make money, but predominately the seem like they are in the trade as a lifestyle. Days at the terma, then nights at Help or similar club to find more men. Drink, fuck, drink, fuck, sleep, drink, fuck. until the weekend comes. I'm not sure what breaks the cycle, but I've never met a GdP older than 30.

With regard to safety, Brasil is radically different than other places that I monger. In Mexico and Japan for example, the ladies seem very concerned about limiting their risk through inspection and using condoms religiously. In Brasil, my junk has never been inspected prior to sex, all BJ's have been BBBJ, and on a couple occasions I've been offered bareback anal.

If GFE/anal is a large factor, as you suggested, I can't think of a better place than Rio (escorts and Centro casas) for quality and opportunity.

Hughdad
12-20-09, 11:04
I'm just here to share information what what I saw in the places I''ve visited. Hope some guys find it useful. Prosal apparently has another agenda. Proving anything to this character is not on the list of priorities. His Goiania report, btw, appears as if it could have been culled from the internet, telephone directory, newspapers, what have you: Info you would have after 5 minutes of being on the ground there. It would be ideal if the Prosal could ignore me but he evidently speaks a different languange. Bah-bah, moo, oink-oink burrinho, here's to you enjoying your Tbilisi manger mates.As I said I am going to try to stay above the fray on personal battles here and just post info going forward. (A kindler, gentler Hughdad for the new year!) Seriously. I'm just really busy. And as fun as sarcasticially exchanging verbal blows with someone here is. It does not beat getting laid and the info here has been invaluable for that. I'll limit my posts to info exchange going forward. So I agree with the recent posts to Sperto and Prosal to draw a cease fire. We can make up our own minds as to what info is relevant to us. Is important. And if some info is false we can alert all to this as well. Others have been getting drawn into the feud as well.

I can say that I have received a tremendous volume of invaluable advice from Sperto. He took the time to create those tremendous mongering maps of Centro Rio and Copa. It changed my mongering. It gave me all the confidence I needed to venture out. And of course it all started with the legendary Bwana Dik and Bubba reports. And there has been great info that I garnered from many other experienced guys too. And now I am exploring Sao Paulo and the Sui Generis and JW Capp reports have been my invaluable roadmaps to a great, cost-effective. Yet mind-blowing experience there. I was under the impression that SP was expensive. I'll be posting my experiences there soon.

And, Zingaddon. Prosal reached out and gave me direct advice as well in answers to my questions about Guaruja was I headed there. He took the time to write a detailed report about SP beach towns when I was going there. He was the only one to write to me about it. I have no doubt he had many experiences in Brazil, so I am not sure why you need to call him out on his Goiania info. He took the time and provided straight info. Either use it or don't. It seems you are looking to head into a feud with him too. You jumped down his throat in the SP forum for posting some info about (I felt valuable)Love Story info for those looking to go there. You immediately assumed that he was lying about 2 places at the same time. The dude was just trying to contribute and never made such a claim.

At any rate, I'll post my SP experiences there.

Happy holidays to all here, and a great (pussy-filled) new year.

HD

Eros74
12-20-09, 16:03
...I feel that most of the GdP's really like their jobs and are "sex robots", as Lukasek said in a recent post....

Where ?!?

I never said something like this, honestly I think they are very far to be considered as " sex robots".

I miss termas girls from the moment I left Rio, cause after about 40 terma girls only 1 was not GFE.

It is still unbelievable to me as they can offer such an unforgettable experience that I have seldom got in my life with pros.

Usually in a night clubs, pick up bar or brothels I try to choose the best deal between beauty and GFE factor, but in terma I only choose by beauty, cause almost all of them provide real GFE.

Even in FKK in German, most similar thing to terma clubs, if you only choose by beauty you can end to session a non total passionate girl.

It is very confortable in terma to relax knowing in advance you are gonna to have great time and something closer to make love with girl instead to have sex with a pro.

And yes, you have to behave with them as if they were just normal girls and not pro, obviously they can lie and cheat but also normal girls do that. But I found that to be kind and polite and respect them it pays off much more than with other pros I got in the world.

Carioca girls have something I did not find in Argentina, I was there too..., and even colombians girls are colder, never been there but I got few in my home city.

If only the price of terma could not go higher....

Member #3439
12-21-09, 05:38
Where ?!?

I never said something like this, honestly I think they are very far to be considered as " sex robots".

I miss termas girls from the moment I left Rio, cause after about 40 terma girls only 1 was not GFE.

It is still unbelievable to me as they can offer such an unforgettable experience that I have seldom got in my life with pros.

Usually in a night clubs, pick up bar or brothels I try to choose the best deal between beauty and GFE factor, but in terma I only choose by beauty, cause almost all of them provide real GFE.

Even in FKK in German, most similar thing to terma clubs, if you only choose by beauty you can end to session a non total passionate girl.

It is very confortable in terma to relax knowing in advance you are gonna to have great time and something closer to make love with girl instead to have sex with a pro.

Sorry, just traced that back and realized that it was Uzinuzin's comment about sex robots. He had found a nice shy unassuming escort and claimed that, by releasing her name here, he could be sure ISG crew would have corrupted her into a 'sex robot' like all the others by the time he returns. Who is in charge of that project? ;)

When I say refer to them sex robots, I mean that they are purpose built for GFE and don't hold anything back like a normal girl. They operate on a different value systems, one that we can hope spreads to other countries.

Duke Fleed
12-22-09, 02:58
Hi,

I'm sorry if this isn't the right place to post. Please be patient since this is my first post on the forum.

I'd like to know if anyone here has some information about the brazilian Pornstar Priscila prado, as you can see her in this clip for example:

http://www.Tnaflix.com/view_video.php? Viewkey=1868d7ad86138ea56ad6

I'd like to know if someone has contact info about her. Thank you in advance.

Duke

Toshw2
12-22-09, 09:16
Hi,

I'm sorry if this isn't the right place to post. Please be patient since this is my first post on the forum.

I'd like to know if anyone here has some information about the brazilian Pornstar Priscila prado, as you can see her in this clip for example:

Duke

At one point she was on the website GirlsBCN in Spain. You could double check, but sorry no up to date info on this garota

Tribute15
12-22-09, 12:07
I couldnt view the video via the link to make her picture out. but however there is a Melissa Prado on girlsbcn.com who shuttles between Madrid and Barcelona. dont know if she is whom you are looking for. http://www.girlsbcn.net/girls_archivos/gbmelissa4.html

Hi,

Duke

Duke Fleed
12-22-09, 19:33
I couldnt view the video via the link to make her picture out. but however there is a Melissa Prado on girlsbcn.com who shuttles between Madrid and Barcelona. dont know if she is whom you are looking for. http://www.girlsbcn.net/girls_archivos/gbmelissa4.htmlThanks Tribute 15..but she's not the girl i was talkin' about.

I hope you can see a pic of her here:

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/3245/priscilaprado.jpg

Hughdad
12-23-09, 09:32
Thanks Tribute 15..but she's not the girl i was talkin' about.

I hope you can see a pic of her here:

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/3245/priscilaprado.jpgShe looks like Elin, Tiger Woods wife. Perhaps she was cast into one of the 3 or 4 porn movies being ushed into production about him. One actually stars the blond porn star (Holly Sampson) he allegedly with as his wife.

Sperto
12-24-09, 08:14
Feliz Natal!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tamjSao4WNc

Rio Bob
12-31-09, 15:20
Actually, the ocean water is better in the Copa side, as the canal between Ipanema and Leblon release human crap out to sea. As for the babes on the beach, thats a different story.

I get a tan in Ipanema, but I do not get into the water. Ask the locals, they will tell you.

They seem to be having a good time swimming in crap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1zwwMhjaUI

Edward M
01-02-10, 03:53
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34652661/ns/weather/

At least 15 people killed in Angra dos Reis at upscale hotel. No indication in this article of who they were or where they were from.

Bravo
01-02-10, 11:30
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34652661/ns/weather/

At least 15 people killed in Angra dos Reis at upscale hotel. No indication in this article of who they were or where they were from.

Terrible, I feel terrible for their families. Honestly, I am surprised that this does not happen more often. The first time I saw the favelas in the Copa area, I said "What happens if they have a earthquake, fire or mudslides here? All these houses would be wiped out and thousands would be killed!"

Golfinho
01-02-10, 13:48
Terrible, I feel terrible for their families. Honestly, I am surprised that this does not happen more often. The first time I saw the favelas in the Copa area, I said "What happens if they have a earthquake, fire or mudslides here? All these houses would be wiped out and thousands would be killed!"Watching the BBC and Al-Jezeera (isn't it available in the Freedom-loving Homeland?) here in Thailand, a lot of video and interviews on site with eye witnesses. Nothing you wouldn't have expected to see from coverage of this type of natural disaster. The 'upscale hotel' is reported as a 15-room pousada in a beautiful natural setting with nice views. Rescue hampered as location reachable only by boat.

Rio Bob
01-04-10, 20:52
Yeah, they had a European style cabaret show with samba dancers and I don't know what all. After midnight, they had a live sex show and I think a second one at 2:00. And there were definitely a lot of free lancers around. As to the location(s) I don't remember and I have not gone back since. I more preferred the beach cafes/bars scene.

Do they still do the live sex show? I have not heard about that in a long time.

I haven't been to a live sex show in Rio since the 80's, yes I saw the show in club Erotika back then and we used to go to a place a few blocks away called Club Munchen that had a lesbian show and a male/female sex show, plus girls for takeout. I don't really frequent the places near Prado Junior anymore except Barbarellas and that has been a few years, I only went there if I was looking for a calm/easy early night otherwise I go to Help.

Eros74
01-04-10, 22:01
Just to get a good massage, I need nothing sexual involved, but one that knows how to do it.

Any addresses please guys ?

Chezz
01-05-10, 08:32
just to get a good massage, i need nothing sexual involved, but one that knows how to do it.

any addresses please guys ?yeah, i'd like to know this also. no happy ending needed, though i'd prefer the therapist be female. the last massage i received in rio was at solarium and it was fairly horrible. the massage table felt like a sheet on top of a pile of rocks. ugh.

Delecti
01-05-10, 11:36
I'm guessing this site has been posted before, but even if it was, I thought it was worth listing/repeating: www.easyportuguese.com.

Mostly phrases but some grammer also. And some sections have pronunciation short imbeded audio clips. Section broken into useful sections, hotel, taxi, love, etc. Kind of a online starter phrasebook. And it is FREE!

I'm back to Rio next week and found the site a useful tool to help me to start working on my Portuguese, a task that seems to wait until 2 weeks before and after each trip.

Delecti

Exec Talent
01-07-10, 19:59
Don't think this was mentioned here before. Happened to catch Law & Order Criminal Intent on AXN in Rio which contained a element of attempted influence buying on the part of a security firm executive interested in Rio winning the Olympic bid.

http://www.gamesbids.com/eng/olympic_bids/1216134643.html

BTW, this story incorrectly states that the member agreed to be bought. She did not and was killed by the jealous husband of her lesbian lover.

Edward M
01-13-10, 05:43
Pretty cool site I found that shows what cab fare should be.

http://www.tarifadetaxi.com/rio-de-janeiro

Jan 156
01-13-10, 12:31
Pretty cool site I found that shows what cab fare should be.

http://www.tarifadetaxi.com/rio-de-janeiro

There is also a guide printed inside the free Riotur (tourist) booklet now. It is quite handy for haggling over a fixed price. Does not help much if you get him to put the meter on and he goes a naff route. I´m finding it helps to give him an idea of the route you want to take when you get in if you know it - shows you are not a total newbie that can be taken for a tour of road diversions too. You´ll find the Copa Riotur office on Princesa Isabel - much more helpful than the Centro one and has good Carnaval info too.

It goes without saying perhaps, but when choosing a taxi:
- choose a new-looking car, the more expensive the better (it may have tires, meters, lights etc that actually work properly, decent air-con and so on).
- choose a taxi driver that looks honest - eg clean-shaven, clean shirt, without the face of a thug (prejudicial, I know, but a handy guide all the same).
- you can ignore the ´line´- just pick the one you want
- you don´t need top Porto, but it helps to know words like left, right, stop here now please, and so on! A stream of rapid Porto helps establish control. Then you can revert back to dumb gringo as if you cannot be bothered. ;)

Rio Bob
01-14-10, 16:09
Just to get a good massage, I need nothing sexual involved, but one that knows how to do it.

Any addresses please guys ?

I have been wanting to try this massage place but last time I was in Rio I called every day and got no answer, I will try again next time:

http://www.massagemalternativa.com/

Hughdad
01-14-10, 18:23
1-888-407-4747 for any Americans seeking info on family members in Haiti...Text "YELE" to 501501 to send $5 to YeleHaiti for relief efforts. -Wyclef...and/or text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill...Remember... every bit helps! One World One Heart One Blood, with love!Good to see you are trying to help. Now maybe you can also understand that GDP's are humans too?

Eros74
01-14-10, 18:54
I have been wanting to try this massage place but last time I was in Rio I called every day and got no answer, I will try again next time:

http://www.massagemalternativa.com/

Thanks, but which one from their massages you will choose ? as I'd need just a normal, but good, massage, not alternative.

Azn Safado
01-17-10, 23:31
thanks, but which one from their massages you will choose ? as i'd need just a normal, but good, massage, not alternative.
the only legit massage place that i've been able to find during my trips to rio is a place in centro off of rua senador dantas. it is right across the street from the metro station - cinelandia stop, i think. this woman, celia, is a registered massage therapist and has very strong hands. she speaks fluent english, so it's easy to communicate and set up an appointment. i think it was r150 for 2 hours.

http://saude-beleza.vivastreet.com.br/boa-forma+centro/celia-cerqueira---massagem-shiatsu-terapeuta-corporal/5914305

Exec Talent
01-17-10, 23:43
i recently saw monica (centro) and thought she was pretty good. price was r$50 for 40 minutes. the place was clean and there were a number of other girls working there (one a real looker).

http://www.destack.com.br/terapeutas_z_a_centro.htm

there also are a few listed for copacabana

http://www.destack.com.br/terapeutas_z_a_copacabana.htm

if you want a legitimate massage what you are looking for is terapeutas, though like monica some will also list themselves as massagistas (which usually means more sex than massage).

Azn Safado
01-17-10, 23:52
i recently saw monica (centro) and thought she was pretty good. price was r$50 for 40 minutes. the place was clean and there were a number of other girls working there (one a real looker).

http://www.destack.com.br/terapeutas_z_a_centro.htm

there also are a few listed for copacabana

http://www.destack.com.br/terapeutas_z_a_copacabana.htm

if you want a legitimate massage what you are looking for is terapeutas, though like monica some will also list themselves as massagistas (which usually means more sex than massage).

thanks for the links et! i've been looking for some good therapists for quite awhile and it was hard for me to any good ones through my searches on google.com.br and even the rio classificados.

Bravo
01-18-10, 01:37

i thought the terapeutas meant they gave you a legit massage with a hj at the end.

Exec Talent
01-18-10, 02:43
i thought the terapeutas meant they gave you a legit massage with a hj at the end.
the happy ending is optional.

Bravo
01-18-10, 06:20
the happy ending is optional.

It is? I didnt know that. Do you have to pay more for it?

Exec Talent
01-18-10, 09:20
It is? I didnt know that. Do you have to pay more for it?
Pricing was upfront, so I imagine whether you opt for the Cinderella story or not, the price is the same. My experiences in Rio are that it is easy to find sex. Hard to find a good legit massage.

Voyajer1
01-18-10, 13:59
Prices for P4P services have plummeted and that is a good thing. Let's try and keep the prices that way. Gentlemen, back in 2005 during Help's heydays, this used to be a very nice venue and it provided tremendous value for the travelers among us. I don't like being a broken record, but the reason for the outrageous prices and the virtual elimination of the local monger from Help was our "smart guy" who always overpay for garotas and wonder why prices kept right on blowing up. Yes, it was because of you, the "smart guy" who for a lack of better term kept prices inflated to ridiculously unrealistic levels.
You must understand that when people post information on the web, it is becausee they, those with information, are sharing a good thing with all of us so we can do like they do. Respect local traditions, customs and prices so things don't get out of hand. However, "smart guy" tends to be selfish and always uses the same line to defend his "smartness": It is my money. Yes it is and I respect that. But did you know that these girls talk a lot? Did you know they expect the same generosity from everybody? Did you know that this distorts reality for all the other GDP's in Copa?
The minimum salary in Brazil ia approximately BR 465 per month. That's in 2009. I will list for you the prices for services from Help with another institutionto make my point as to why prices go up outrageously due to the generosity of Mr. "smart guy" who completely distorts the pricing curve, making everybody else pay for their "Smartness":
Year Location Price(ST) (Price (TLN)
2005 Help 70 - 100 150 -200
2005 4 X 4 160 N/A
2006 Help 150 200
2006 4 X 4 170 N/A
2007 Help 200 300
2007 4 X 4 180 N/A
2008 Help 250 400
2008 4 X 4 200 N/A
2009 Help 300 500
2009 4 X 4 220 N/A
This is why I keep the best bargains in Brazil to myself. If you can distinguish the price differential, the prices at 4 X 4 have gone up BR60 in 5 years, the prices at Help as much as BR 350 due to "smart guy". "Smartguy" lurks out there trying to destroy institutions with his attitude and "intelligence". The locals who have shown me their spots always make me pledge not to tell "smart guys" about these places because they fear being priced right out of the venue, just like it happened in Help when it used to be open. Do the math and you see why really good places for the hobby in some cases need to be stumbled upon instead of disclosed because there are so many "smart guys" among us who don't respect local traditions and ground rules.

Rio Bob
01-18-10, 15:37
Prices for P4P services have plummeted and that is a good thing. Let's try and keep the prices that way. Gentlemen, back in 2005 during Help's heydays, this used to be a very nice venue and it provided tremendous value for the travelers among us.
2009 Help 300 500
2009 4 X 4 220 N/A

Good post and analysis but in 2009 I payed 250 reais for Help girls mostly TLN as opposed to 220 reais at 4x4 for 40 minutes in a cabin. For me Help represented more value and bang for the buck.

But I get your point, for sure girls in Help were asking 500 reais but only fools paid that, it's like paying sticker price on a brand new car. I would like to see them ask for 500 reais standing on the street in front of Balcony bar.

Eros74
01-18-10, 15:51
Voyajer1,

yes good post, for me the biggest problem are not only the "smart guy" but the first timer too. When you arrive for the first time, if you are not used to negotiate all, not only pussy, and if you never read forum like this, you could end to overpay without neither know it.

Even yesterday at Balcony I was talking with a girl and when she asked why I do not take her, I said, you want 150 reais for surely not more than 1 hour +50 reais hotel lidi, tomorrow afternoon I call Karlamodels and for only 120 reais I have girl delivered to my apt for 2 hours....she immediately left and went to approach another gringo. It was not to save 30 reais, but I went to sleep alone, tomorrow morning I woke up at 6:30 for a running on avenida atlantica and I surely no regret.

It Travel
01-18-10, 16:01
Voyajer1,

yes good post, for me the biggest problem are not only the "smart guy" but the first timer too. When you arrive for the first time, if you are not used to negotiate all, not only pussy, and if you never read forum like this, you could end to overpay without neither know it.

Even yesterday at Balcony I was talking with a girl and when she asked why I do not take her, I said, you want 150 reais for surely not more than 1 hour +50 reais hotel lidi, tomorrow afternoon I call Karlamodels and for only 120 reais I have girl delivered to my apt for 2 hours....she immediately left and went to approach another gringo. It was not to save 30 reais, but I went to sleep alone, tomorrow morning I woke up at 6:30 for a running on avenida atlantica and I surely no regret.

Do not forget the coconut drink and... Churrasco....

Ah I should have been on Avenida Altantica in October but... :(

IT

Prosal
01-18-10, 16:07
Gentlemen, back in 2005 during Help's heydays,
Without being controversial, 2005 was by no means Help's "heydays". Decline began in the late 90's.

Voyajer1
01-18-10, 16:53
I stand corrected.

Without being controversial, 2005 was by no means Help's "heydays". Decline began in the late 90's.

Jake993
01-18-10, 16:54
Prices for P4P services have plummeted and that is a good thing.
V1,
Good post. Many good points.
It's interesting to see the price plummet now that HELP has closed. Obviously the price of pussy in Rio has it's own economics and HELP played a very important role in supporting the inflated price. There has been a lot of talk over the years about the "economics of P4P" and how it does (or does not) follow traditional commodity pricing tendencies.

Following supply and demand theory, one could argue that with the closing of HELP, you have effectively removed a large part of the supply (ie large numbers of GDP 'available' for sessions) and that the price should have gone up. But you report that just the opposite is true and that while the girls are trying to stage a replacement venue by moving to Balcony the price just cannot stay up. Not being there to witness the phenomenon first hand, I have to ask myself "why"?

Regardless of the local market, you would have to believe that if guys had migrated to Balcony in sufficient numbers, then the girls would be back in business with no lack of customers and therefore the price would stay the same. I can't believe that ALL the girls have migrated to Balcony 'en masse' have they? Is it REALLY a case of too many girls chasing too few customers? Has the closing of HELP really chased away the customers?

I have to believe that the closing of HELP has not reduced the gross number of mongers actually coming to Rio. And I sure don't believe that the closing of HELP has made us any less interested in chasing after pussy so SURELY we must have all disbursed to pursue the hobby elsewhere in Rio be it in Termas or other sources of GDP. But again, I don't read that the crowds at the usual Termas has swelled, so what is it?

Could it be that the prices were being supported by the "HELP factor" that provided a venue for newbies and 'smart guys' to come and inflate the price? Could it be THAT simple?

Curious minds want to know!!!!

Anyone? Anyone? Are there any budding economists out there who care to explain the phenomenon?

Voyajer1
01-18-10, 17:02
Too many "smart guys" were paying, AND bragging about their tremendous negotiating skills (BR500 for TLN). I was there just listening to these people argue that "That's how we roll, baby". They came in all shades and nationalities. If they only knew what the girls told me and their friends about them behinfd their backs (Suckers, guppies, stepping stools, doormats, etc.), they'd be shocked. But hey, like the "smart guys" always said, "It is my money". You've got to be kidding. Sometimes you just need to ask for directions to get to your destination.

Good post and analysis but in 2009 I payed 250 reais for Help girls mostly TLN as opposed to 220 reais at 4x4 for 40 minutes in a cabin. For me Help represented more value and bang for the buck.

But I get your point, for sure girls in Help were asking 500 reais but only fools paid that, it's like paying sticker price on a brand new car. I would like to see them ask for 500 reais standing on the street in front of Balcony bar.

Bizzie
01-19-10, 06:06
So, may be I am confused! I dont see any posts actually reporting lower prices.
What are the rates now for TLN?
More importantly, where do you go to find TLN these days?

Safadinho
01-19-10, 12:32
Hi all,

Can anyone experienced let me know what is the go with Easter in Rio? Public holidays? Termas shut downs? Cluns? etc

Any relevant info will be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Delecti
01-19-10, 13:29
I tried a search, couldn't find, but I thought this was posted before....so if anyone could point me to the post or give directions, much appreciated.

By using the metro and then bus, how would I go from Copa to Corcovado? I use the metro to go to centro, so that part is familiar. Which stop, which bus, etc.

Thanks

Jan 156
01-19-10, 17:13
I tried a search, couldn't find, but I thought this was posted before....so if anyone could point me to the post or give directions, much appreciated.

By using the metro and then bus, how would I go from Copa to Corcovado? I use the metro to go to centro, so that part is familiar. Which stop, which bus, etc.

Thanks

To get to Corcovado, do not go all the way to Centro. Take the Metro from Copa and get off at Largo do Machado. Then from there take the Metro Bus 584 outside the Metro station to Cosme Velho. At Cosmo Velho there is a single track railway that goes up through the forest to the christ statue.

Delecti
01-20-10, 15:03
I know that today is a religious holiday in Rio de Janeiro. More important, does that mean 4x4 is closed today! Appreciate an answer if anyone local knows.

John Cricket
01-20-10, 16:55
V1,

Following supply and demand theory, one could argue that with the closing of HELP, you have effectively removed a large part of the supply (ie large numbers of GDP 'available' for sessions) and that the price should have gone up. But you report that just the opposite is true and that while the girls are trying to stage a replacement venue by moving to Balcony the price just cannot stay up. Not being there to witness the phenomenon first hand, I have to ask myself "why"?

Regardless of the local market, you would have to believe that if guys had migrated to Balcony in sufficient numbers, then the girls would be back in business with no lack of customers and therefore the price would stay the same. I can't believe that ALL the girls have migrated to Balcony 'en masse' have they? Is it REALLY a case of too many girls chasing too few customers? Has the closing of HELP really chased away the customers?

Could it be that the prices were being supported by the "HELP factor" that provided a venue for newbies and 'smart guys' to come and inflate the price? Could it be THAT simple?

Curious minds want to know!!!!

Anyone? Anyone? Are there any budding economists out there who care to explain the phenomenon?Well, I'm not so sure, yet, that prices really have dropped. The way that Help was structured, it supported a TLN style of program. Prices outside Help at TA for hour-long affairs were always much less. Balcony just doesn't have enough space for people to mingle, dance, seduce. It seems as if what's happening is that the TLN modality took a hit, but that the per hour program has become reinforced and is staying steady at about 100-150r. That was the price I was being quoted months ago in Balcony, though sometimes it would drop to 80r in the low season. And "hour" here is flexible, but then again it always was.

It looks like the women are thus going for shorter programs at lower prices.

Also remember that foreign tourism in general is down in Rio due to the on-going crisis. Things were already bad during last year's high season and they haven't improved much.

Golfinho
01-20-10, 18:08
To get to Corcovado, do not go all the way to Centro. Take the Metro from Copa and get off at Largo do Machado. Then from there take the Metro Bus 584 outside the Metro station to Cosme Velho. At Cosmo Velho there is a single track railway that goes up through the forest to the christ statue.
You can also stand on N.S.Copacabana and get on the bus when you see it rolling down the street in your direction.

Eros74
01-20-10, 18:55
Saint Sebastian exactly, he was a catholic saint, they told me, that's why all the termas are closed, even the ones in copa, I guess if the escorts works or not...

Jan 156
01-20-10, 19:27
afaiaa it is Tom Jobim day today - ie Bossa Nova day. But yes, most termas may be closed as well as many other things. btw the new Bossa Nova Beatles album is pretty good. ;)

Beach Star
01-20-10, 21:03
Saint Sebastian exactly, he was a catholic saint, they told me, that's why all the termas are closed, even the ones in copa, I guess if the escorts works or not...

It is the birthday of Rio de Janeiro. It was discovered on St Sebastians day and christened..."The City of St. Sebastian on the River of January" Only a holiday in the city of Rio, nowhere else.

Prosal
01-21-10, 03:28
It is the birthday of Rio de Janeiro. It was discovered on St Sebastians day and christened..."The City of St. Sebastian on the River of January" Only a holiday in the city of Rio, nowhere else.
Humm, sorry to quibble, but Rio's birthday is on March 1st - "Aniversario da Cidade" day. This year will be 445°.

There's usually lots of festivities all around town that day, notably a huge free concert (with most major Bossa Nova artists) on a beach. Was Botafogo last year.

A fairly happening event, much less commercialized and much cooler than Carnaval IMO.

Benjoe
01-21-10, 04:26
Are the termas going to be open on March 19, St. Joseph's Day?

Voyajer1
01-21-10, 08:13
Since the demise of Help all the lazy GDP's have lost their guppy fishbowl. All the, as I call them, "smart folk", pretty much have been removed from the P4P scene for now. The experienced monger is what left now, so many of the GDP's know that their prices must match what the going rate for the locales they hang out dictates. This is something I just don't play or contemplate.
What am I talking about you may ask? It is the old "Charge where they GDP hangs out theory". If a GDP walks the street, she charges a certain rate. I she is in a disco (I.E. The big Sao Paolo discos, Cafe Photo, Bomboa, Love Story, etc. In other countries it also applies when the GDP is independent.), they want to charge you another rate, and so on. I compare the whole scene just like when you are about to buy a car. Would you pay big bucks for a Ford Fiesta because it is in a Mercedez Benz car lot? Heck no! On the other hand you can find that diamond in the rough in a not so nice place. That is what I crave and value, the bargain.
I don't particularly care where she hangs out that determines how much she is allowed to charge me. It boils down, for me, on her looks, personality, how we get along, what she will do and our chemistry. If all those things align, then we discuss a reasonable rate if that's what I wish to do. That is the girl that comes to my hotel room. Otherwise, it the Termas, massage parlors, clinicas, boites and prives with the set rates. There you can find also willing GDP's who will knock your socks off when you invite them to your apartment or hotel room.

Well, I'm not so sure, yet, that prices really have dropped. The way that Help was structured, it supported a TLN style of program. Prices outside Help at TA for hour-long affairs were always much less. Balcony just doesn't have enough space for people to mingle, dance, seduce. It seems as if what's happening is that the TLN modality took a hit, but that the per hour program has become reinforced and is staying steady at about 100-150r. That was the price I was being quoted months ago in Balcony, though sometimes it would drop to 80r in the low season. And "hour" here is flexible, but then again it always was.

It looks like the women are thus going for shorter programs at lower prices.

Also remember that foreign tourism in general is down in Rio due to the on-going crisis. Things were already bad during last year's high season and they haven't improved much.

Jan 156
01-21-10, 19:15
Would it be out of order to suggest that anyone using the Forum to get information for their own websites, tour guides, books, booklets, actually say so upfront?

I think there would be a percentage of members quite happy to help. It is the ´doing it quietly,´ and the increasing numbers of people using ISG for such things, that can be annoying.

Obrigado.

Exec Talent
01-23-10, 12:55
Has anyone taken one out of Rio? What was your experience?

Many people in Rio now are just passing through. I was told that two - three cruises a day, everyday, leave from Rio.

John Cricket
01-25-10, 15:38
I'd be interested in hearing if TLN prices out of Balcony are lower than what they were at Help. They don't seem that way to me, but it could just be my experience.

Rio Bob
01-25-10, 17:19
Met this little cute one inside Help some years back, she is the last one on the line. She told me she also worked at 4x4 and there were 70 girls there, I went the next day, it was my first time there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIcnSrotvPs

Rio Bob
01-25-10, 19:39
With all it's warts you have to admit this was some freak show and I'm going to miss it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAT8VXiB_GA

Rio Bob
01-25-10, 20:08
The first one with the bandanna on her head hiding her eyes told me she was roughed up by a German last night so please be gentle. The second one Natasha, she is with the girl in red, she was hot stuff but she looks like a lesbo now. Still remember these nights and these videos were shot quite some time ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42PoIXJ_WmU

Rio Bob
01-25-10, 20:19
She can spank this bad boy with that wip any time cause I be bad:

More from TA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVlVRUinx-k

Rio Bob
01-25-10, 20:24
Ok, this should be it for now, this should take care of you TA junkies in withdrawl, next inside Help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg22OfaXbCA

Rio Me Ever
01-26-10, 00:42
Sangue Bon

Thanks for the memories.

I am going to cry now.

R4M4E

Hobbying
01-26-10, 00:43
"Have you ever been arrested or convicted for any offense or crime, even though subject of a pardon, amnesty or other similar legal action? Have you ever unlawfully distributed or sold a controlled substance(drug), or been a prostitute or procurer for prostitutes?"

It applies to the past 10 years.

So I guess at the interview the person will try to determine if they look like a pro

Rio Bob
01-26-10, 01:31
ta in its hey day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPh8rWgcfv4

Jan 156
01-26-10, 02:28
i'd be interested in hearing if tln prices out of balcony are lower than what they were at help. they don't seem that way to me, but it could just be my experience.

depends how much you piad at helpee doesn´t it. i heard it was getting expensive towards the end. you shouldn´t really pay more than about 150r for a short time (one to two hours) from balcony, maybe upping it to 200 or (max) 300 for tln if you are earlyish. after all, tln at 11pm is a different deal to one at 3am.

some girls ´do the walk´and some don´t, the walk usually being to prado via ns (either cos it´s safer or has more potential clients than via atlantica) so missing out alexandra. at prado, the better ones go to ciccolinas as far as i can tell, and the cheapskates have a beer on hta prado.

talking of walks, i´ve tracked a few girls doing the barbarella´s walk - from barbs to cicciolinas. there is a huge difference in ciccy´s and it´s hard to tell a girl under the lights. i like to see them outside. when they go for a cigarette. or on the way to the ciccy toilet there are normal lights. from ciccy´s, some go to formalha´s for a sobremesa (on viv.min.d.castro opposite pao de acucar). no-one ever admits to going to nog. (but going in to use the toilet, or up to the bar to adjust one´s hair, checking out clients on the way, apparently doesn´t count.)

i´m not a fan of balcony or the boites, but i have taken one or two. for cicciolina´s, go for 200r. i couldn´t get it lower than this. on the first occasional i took the girl (tln) but on the second occasion, although she was well-stacked (ex-barb, ex-ciccy´s), i realised after i had got her down to 200r that i didn´t really want her and made an excuse. (too much sex-by-numbers for my taste generally). bear in mind they will start *much* higher.

for anyone finding the other type of predator (mozzies) are out in force with the ups and downs of the weather, remember to stock up on some non-drowsy anti-histamines to stop itching. if you ask for a brand from back home, or do not specify generico, you will probably pay a lot. loratidine is suitable. a local packet under the name loratyn-10 will cost small change.

Koolkid
01-26-10, 07:07
Thanks for these clips. What year were these taken?

When I was there in May last year, this is what I was expecting
to see. Very busy, girls in costumes/bikinis and massive queues to get
into help. But sadly its seems, I was many years too late..lol.

Thanks again

Java Man
01-26-10, 07:55
Nice vids Sangue Bon.

I'd like to see what its like at Balcony right now. Anyone on the ground care to share some pics or vids?

It was posted today on another board that Ciccolina had closed. Also Franks is closed. Can anyone confirm??

Tors Ham
01-26-10, 12:32
This is probably old info in this forum, but it was handy for me on my virgin trip to Brazil, especially SP, and I haven’t seen the info here (probably missed it)

Researching for my next trip and from what I can see it’s even more on the SP map now than before.

Sorry to hear about Help, I hope some other place takes over before I go next time.

http://maps.google.com/?q=http://bitchmaps.com/kmz/rj.kmz

http://maps.google.com/?q=http://bitchmaps.com/kmz/sp.kmz

Rio Bob
01-26-10, 12:58
Thanks for these clips. What year were these taken?

When I was there in May last year, this is what I was expecting
to see. Very busy, girls in costumes/bikinis and massive queues to get
into help. But sadly its seems, I was many years too late..lol.

Thanks again

You wern't many years too late just a couple of months. This level of activity took place during Carnaval time.

Riofan6
01-26-10, 14:34
The first one with the bandanna on her head hiding her eyes told me she was roughed up by a German last night so please be gentle. The second one Natasha, she is with the girl in red, she was hot stuff but she looks like a lesbo now. Still remember these nights and these videos were shot quite some time ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42PoIXJ_WmUWhen did you last see Natasha?? I haven't seen her for 3 years or so but just found out about 2 months ago she has a baby boy now. Made plans to see her the last time I was in Italy(about 2 weeks ago) but it didn't work out.

Eros74
01-26-10, 16:36
Guys, I am seriously thinking it could be my last time in Rio, at least until next year, so I am looking for Colombia or Venezuela.

Surely I will read the specific threads but just to answer to some questions, who between you, more experienced mongers here, have been to these 2 countries, so he can answer me by PM ?

Much appreciated

Prosal
01-26-10, 17:23
Guys, I am seriously thinking it could be my last time in Rio, at least until next year, so I am looking for Colombia or Venezuela.
My personal pick would be Caracas. Very few gringo mongers, super hot chicks (at least in the cosmopolitan bowels), great sophisticated nightlife.

Plus black market dollar at 6300 bolivares, Euro should be almost 10 000, you will have a blast.

Jan 156
01-26-10, 18:24
Phnom Penh might be closer for you (?)

Rio Bob
01-26-10, 20:01
When did you last see Natasha?? I haven't seen her for 3 years or so but just found out about 2 months ago she has a baby boy now. Made plans to see her the last time I was in Italy(about 2 weeks ago) but it didn't work out.

Very interesting if you really know her but about 9 years ago.

Riofan6
01-26-10, 20:51
Very interesting if you really know her but about 9 years ago.When she left for Italy. I have been in touch with her off and on since then but only through emails, phone calls and text messages. And she WAS a little hottie. Hard to imagine her as looking like a lesbo now days.

Hobbying
01-26-10, 23:21
My personal pick would be Caracas. Very few gringo mongers, super hot chicks, great sophisticated nightlife.

Plus black market dollar at 6300 bolivares, Euro should be almost 10 000, you will have a blast.how is safety wise?

Boites quality similiar to Brasil?

Riofan6
01-27-10, 02:05
Met this little cute one inside Help some years back, she is the last one on the line. She told me she also worked at 4x4 and there were 70 girls there, I went the next day, it was my first time there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIcnSrotvPsYou remember her name?

We may have more then one mutual friend.

Madd Love
01-27-10, 03:40
Lil Jon makes a song with Rio's top Funk artist
He plans to go on tour in Brasil early this year and release his album soon after.

The song is called Machuka

Here is the promo Video

http://vimeo.com/7799946

Rio Bob
01-27-10, 14:14
When she left for Italy. I have been in touch with her off and on since then but only through emails, phone calls and text messages. And she WAS a little hottie. Hard to imagine her as looking like a lesbo now days.

I think that came out wrong what I said. These videos were stored away for some time, I dug them out last week, they are VHS, I converted to digital and reviewed and edited them. When I saw her walking with her chest up high and out with her grabbing that other girls hand and having her in tow she reminded me of a lesbo in the video not now and my experience is that many of these girls go Bi. I haven't seen her in 9 years so I don't know what she looks like now.

Rio Bob
01-27-10, 14:18
You remember her name?

We may have more then one mutual friend.

No I don't remember her name and I only saw her once. The only reason why I remembered Natasha's name is because I remember telling her that she had a strange name for a Brazilian, that I thought her name was more Russian like.

But this girl last in line was very special and she told me she worked at 4x4 that day as her day job. She was young then, probably too old for me now.

Riofan6
01-27-10, 15:22
I don't know if most of you are aware that 99% of the wores in Brasil use a fake name. And usually really stupid ones (like Natasha!!) , based on the perception of the status that gives an international name.

That's totally silly, but remember that those girls are South American versions of 5th generation welfare-taking Northern Kentucky hilljacks trailer trash.Her real name is very Brasilian and she was a very sweet girl. I remember watching her for months in HELP and finally going with her. She turned out to be nothing like she appeared to be in the HELP public environment.

And if you're going to sling stereotypical slurs, why not be fair and balanced and mention the Southside Atlanta welfare-taking brood sows.

Rio Bob
01-27-10, 22:51
In all sort of colors, shapes and sizes and now they can't cum no more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQW3s3Ieucc

Rio Bob
01-27-10, 23:12
I had to edit the topless out, I hope I got it all cause UTUBE will delete it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLdb0gmGPVk

Bravo
01-28-10, 00:31
Sangue Bon, where have you been my whole life?! ahhahahah!! Great drop dude, these videos are awesome, much appreciated!!

Rio Bob
01-28-10, 01:29
Sangue Bon, where have you been my whole life?! ahhahahah!! Great drop dude, these videos are awesome, much appreciated!!

Hey it's never too late. LOL

Enjoy it, this one I think also worked in Espana, went with her a couple of nights, they cleared the way when she walked down the street

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bH6qmxcCSQ

Rio Bob
01-28-10, 01:37
These Help videos are from Carnaval 1997 so judge for yourself if things were better than even though it's a moot point now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQE_NkouGlY

Bravo
01-28-10, 02:54
These Help videos are from Carnaval 1997 so judge for yourself if things were better than even though it's a moot point now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQE_NkouGlY

I forgot that the furniture in Help used to be black and white!!! These are awesome videos, almost surprised some of those girls are nto still working! LOL

Can you tell us how you transfered video from a VHS tape to your computer? Do you have a video capture card? How did you do it because I have some old video I would like to upload too.

Ryjerrob
01-28-10, 07:24
Blink and I would've missed this opportunity. I met a 24y/o stripper. She doesn't know that I know she dabbles in the erotica, since we met through my job. She's a 9 and into me, but there's no place like home, Rio. While she's into me, especially since I'm not suppose to know her secret, I won't hold my breatj. My only love is the one I can meet in Rio, shaking what her momma gave her.

Ryjer

Rio Bob
01-28-10, 12:44
I forgot that the furniture in Help used to be black and white!!! These are awesome videos, almost surprised some of those girls are nto still working! LOL

Can you tell us how you transfered video from a VHS tape to your computer? Do you have a video capture card? How did you do it because I have some old video I would like to upload too.

They sell machines that you slip in your VHS and copy to DVD, then copy the DVD onto your computer using a video editing software like Pinnacle 14.

Or buy a gadget like this http://www.vhs2dvdwizard.com/convert_vhs_video_tapes_to_dvd.html?tid=ADW35Vhs%20Protected

This gadget you hook your VCR straight into your computer as long as your operating system is 32 bit, this gadget will copy from your VCR to your computer to MPEG format then you can edit in Pinnacle 14 studio software to make a smaller version of an mpeg and upload to YouTube.

My computer is 64 bit Windows 7 so I had to use an older one I have running Vista and copy the Mpeg to an external hard drive and read into my windows 7 computer because working with video you need a fast CPU especially HD which of course these videos are not.

Also 1 other thing, depending on how many VHS you have to convert to digital, if you only have a few then you might not want to go through the expense of getting a machine to copy VHS to DVD or mess with the headaches of getting the above gadget to work. There are plenty of guys on the internet who will copy a 2 hour VHS tape to DVD for $20 each. Then you can read this DVD or copy it to your computer hard disk. But if you want to put it on YouTube you will have to edit it using some type of edit software, like I said I use Pinnacle studio V 14 but I'm sure there are many others you can use. Pinnacle also has a device called Dazzle that will copy from your VCR to computer, you may want to look at that too.

Koolkid
01-28-10, 17:41
The cheapest flight I can find at the minute from London Heathrow - GIG is
with TAM airlines at £483. Just looking for some feedback on this airline? Do they have TV's in the head rests, cabin crew, food etc.

It also says there is 1 stop aswell, but doesn't say where? Has anyone flown this route using this airline?

Last year I used Air France and was quite happy, but I can't get the flight times and price I want with them at the min. I've got 2 1/2 months yet so somthing may turn up.

Thanks for your help

Green Lizard
01-28-10, 20:25
with TAM airlines at £483. Just looking for some feedback on this airline? Do they have TV's in the head rests, cabin crew, food etc.

It also says there is 1 stop aswell, but doesn't say where? Has anyone flown this route using this airline?

Last year I used Air France and was quite happy, but I can't get the flight times and price I want with them at the min. I've got 2 1/2 months yet so somthing may turn up.

Thanks for your helpI've flown this route many times over the last year and you are right Air france is my favourite. Tam have some nice new planes, but I've also flown direct on an old 747 with no tv and very few working toilets. Probably my worst flight ever! My freind flies with them and swears by them, they are his preferred choice. From memory the stop off is in Madrid which is dead after 10pm so beware GL

Simpleminded
01-28-10, 23:57
I used TAM on my last three trips and did not have any problems. They have TVs in the headrest but there are the newer kind and older kind. The older kind does not let you decide when you want to start to watch a movie, just like in the real movies. The newer kind lets you start running a movie or TV show whenever you want. I had the old kind on my way to Rio two weeks ago and had the new kind on the way back. The food is pretty good as far as airline food goes and crew is friendly. I have not flown the London route, I fly their direct route from NYC to Rio. The one stop before Rio is most likely Sao Paulo.

Albert Punter
01-29-10, 02:04
Here are some answers.
TAM is, obviously IMHO, best Brazilian airline.
I don't know if the do have individual TVs (only took domestic flights) but for sure they do have crew and food.

Stop is in Sao Paulo.

Thanks for your help

Amerioca
01-29-10, 02:23
I concur with AP. TAM has a modern fleet with clean planes. It has been several years, and I do not remember if headrest monitors were present. Please note that all of my flights were domestic, only a few hours FT.

Rock Harders
01-29-10, 04:28
Mongers-
TAM has individual on demand IFE systems at every seat on their Airbus 330 and Boeing 777-300ER aircraft. They fly these aircraft on all their long-haul routes except the MIA-GIG route which is flown on an older 767 which has no individual IFE system. The service on TAM is considerably friendlier and better than any US-based airline, with better food and free alcohol.
Sorte,
Rock Harders

One Eyed Man
01-29-10, 04:31
Mongers-
TAM has individual on demand IFE systems at every seat on their Airbus 330 and Boeing 777-300ER aircraft. They fly these aircraft on all their long-haul routes except the MIA-GIG route which is flown on an older 767 which has no individual IFE system. The service on TAM is considerably friendlier and better than any US-based airline, with better food and free alcohol.
Sorte,
Rock Harders

And the Aeromoças are cute in those tight white tops!

Jan 156
01-29-10, 16:15
TAM are ok, both long haul and domestic. I´ve just flown GIG-Belem a couple of days ago and got a cheaper rate than GOL (which is far inferior).

TAM from London are ok, although I´d rate Air France slightly better. British Airways is better than both of them and flies direct, rather than having to change planes, lose luggage etc, in France or Portugal. But it costs more. I avoid the US airlines at all cost.

Thanks for your help

El Greco
01-29-10, 16:38
TAM from London are ok, although I´d rate Air France slightly better. British Airways is better than both of them and flies direct, rather than having to change planes, lose luggage etc, in France or Portugal. But it costs more. I avoid the US airlines at all cost.

BA is having great sales from time to time. I booked return Athens-Rio-Athens, an over 3 months stay, for only 525 euros. But it was booked well in advance.

At the time I booked for Rio, a flight to Sao Paolo, same dates, was about 1.300 euros.

Nyc Expat
01-29-10, 23:47
During a 18 month period in 2005-06, I flew TAM MIA to Sao Paulo at least 15 times. From S.P. I flew TAM domestic. I've had excellent experiences with them. They offer a generous frequent flyer program also. Two MIA-S.P. flights were free because of accumulated miles and one flight I was upgraded to 1st. class, no charge. I also got a domestic free flight from the program. Their aircraft on the MIA route are Airbuses. New, comfortable flights.

TAM always departed on time from MIA. To MIA I encountered some delays because of security and wait for other passengers on connecting flights in- cluding myself coming from another city 250 miles west of S.P.

One round trip flight was with American on an older, less comfortable Boeing aircraft. I felt more secure on the Airbus.

I've also flown between MIA and/or N.Y. and European cities probably 50 times during a 35 year period mostly on BA, Air France and Lufthansa. Lufthansa imo is best followed by BA. I've flown also TWA and SAS on these routes in the early days. Air France has a terminal transfer that can take almost 30 minutes because of the distance involved. Lufhansa only 10 minutes.

It all depends on which airline has the best offers. Unfortunately, airfares have increased 50% since my last trip in 2006 to Brazil.

Jan 156
02-01-10, 22:47
I was going to put his in the Belem thread. But I thought it might be more helpful in the general sense for people in Rio or elsewhere, especially people on their first few visits.

The first story is about getting a discount when it seems impossible.

In Rio, as you know, most pharmacies give you a discount automatically. If you look at the screen, it shows the price before and after discount. I went to the main pharmacy chain here in Belem and got a different story. The discount price - as I could see on the screen - was for holders of a loyalty card. The card had to be scanned at the check out till. Which I observed. After getting this a couple of times I asked myself what I might be doing wrong. I wasn´t going to get a loyalty card for a short stay.

First. I went into another one but caught the (female) chemist´s eye first, holding eye contact. People here make and hold eye contact far more than in the west. In the street, in shops, everywhere. You should be able to get an idea of where of person is coming from. Whether you are on the same wavelength. Maybe even if they would like to make love to you. This doesn´t apply nearly so much in Copa, simply cos everyone is putting on a front or feeling the pressure or whatever. And in Centro it´s a bit less common perhaps I think cos everyone is so ´busy´ - like in the west. But walk around a normal area like Tijuca or Largo do Machado and you can practice all day. Start a conversation with the eyes. Something fun and non-threatening.

Next. When it comes to my turn in the queue. Have you ever heard the female voice that does the regular flight announcements at GIG? It is frickin sexy. How could anyone get annoyed with it? Imagine a male version of it. Yeah right. As she´s explaining the discount card system to me, I am wooing her with my voice, keeping the eye contact as much as possible (ie a fraction longer than seems required, each time). I´m making love to her with my gentle, nasal tones and looking at her from under my eyelids like I´ve just noticed she´s way cool. (Check out the classic stars for this -I wish I could do it as well as James Dean for instance).

And guess what. She uses her card at the check out so I get the discounts. Which was exceptionally useful as I knew I didn´t have enough cash on me otherwise!

For people that come to Belem, I think this is probably second nature and way too much detail. But it doesn´t hurt to use it elsewhere.

The second story is just about macho bullsh*t body language. I´ve seen many gringos get into a ´conversation´ and promptly talk themselves out of a deal. Words are an extension of body language. Unless you are discussing nuclear physics lol.

Boulevard is a dump that charges an ´entrance´ fee when it has a mind to. And occasionally at other times too. Maybe there is some sort of rota of days and times and prices. Maybe they just think of a number between one and five. I used to ask. Dummy. It´s easier to walk like I grew up here, attempt to walk past (in a nice relaxed way, as if I own the joint and am just pretending to be ordinary). And if I get stopped firmly by the brick sh*thouses that pass for security, I carry on ignoring them but fling a 2R note disdainfully at the little guy on the till.

I don´t actually think they totally think I´m Brasilian. Just that I play the game. The Brasilian way. And why not. I´m a guest. I just prefer to be treated as a proper one, rather than a jerk with cash.

Chris Long
02-08-10, 00:39
Does anyone know of any university’s/education centers that are close enough to monger locations yet isolated enough to where the students or school officials would not notice. I have been given the opportunity to set up a summer study abroad program in economics. My employer will pay for me to take two weeks for exploratory set up and then it would be a summer program every year after that. This seems like a great opportunity to combine both work and pleasure while my trip cost and stay would be paid for by my employer. Any information on education centers in Rio or any of the other monger locations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Auriflama
02-08-10, 04:02
How is TAM Airlines?

Eros74
02-08-10, 08:50
How is TAM Airlines?

I flyed with Tam this time, million times better than Iberia but not so good as British. For me it is good.

Bobo5
02-08-10, 16:40
How is TAM Airlines?

I am a TAM Senator (fidelidade vermelho), as previously said not as good as Lufthansa or British but thousand times better than Iberia, Alitalia and all the US airlines.

BB5

Voyajer1
02-09-10, 08:19
As far as Brazilian restaurants, I agree; they are great. However, their airline industry is inflexible and absurd. Let me explain.
Most international travelers are allowed 2 bags that weigh about 50 lbs (23 Kg) apiece, right? However, Brazilian law limits passengers to 2 bags weighing 50lbs total between the two. I have had the same problem with their rules every time because it is not built for foreigners. Brazilian law prohibits international carriers from selling point to point travel between Brazilian cities so if you are traveling within their country, you better pack light or be willing to spend extra on “Excess Baggage Fees”. They better get this fixed before the World Cup and the Olympics or they would never hear the end of it.

Both of these statements are patently absurd. There are many fine Brazilian restaurants, and I have received excellent service on Brazilian airlines.

Eros74
02-09-10, 11:49
...However, Brazilian law limits passengers to 2 bags weighing 50lbs total between the two....

Well, I went back with two suitcases, one 14 kg and second 18 kg plus hand luggage 6 kg. I was told when I bought the ticket of TAM I could till 40 kg in 2 suitcases. (20+20kg).

El Greco
02-09-10, 14:39
Well, I went back with two suitcases, one 14 kg and second 18 kg plus hand luggage 6 kg. I was told when I bought the ticket of TAM I could till 40 kg in 2 suitcases. (20+20kg).

The knowledge I have so far is that tickets issued in Europe bound to Brasil are entitled to 2 bags of 23kg (50lbs) each. Tickets issued in Brasil bound to Europe are entitled for 2 bags of 32kgs each. Don't know if that has changed very recently.

However you got me worried and checked my ticket with British. It states CLEARLY 2 bags of 23kg each both ways. In excess of 23kgs and up to 32max a penalty of 25 British pounds has to be paid.

I am talking about schedule carriers not charter ones.

My 2 kilos LOL

Nyc Expat
02-09-10, 17:54
I am a TAM Senator (fidelidade vermelho), as previously said not as good as Lufthansa or British but thousand times better than Iberia, Alitalia and all the US airlines.

BB5

As noted below for 1½ years and over 15 trips between US east coast and SP, TAM is excellent. I received with the fidelidade vermelho frequent flyer card fastest check in. One trip I was upgraded to first class, no add'l charge. I prefer Lufthansa between US and Europe. Good departure, arrival and connections to other Euro cities.

I was always alloted 2 suitcases, total about 40 kg. You have to check with your carrier before departing since they are looking for extra income concerning baggage. It's a good idea. I've seen 3-5 large suitcases with some travelers. Brazilians are stocking up when visiting the USA with the strength of the Real and US low prices on electronics, etc. I've seen flat screen tvs as checked baggaged going to SP.

Lorenzo
02-09-10, 20:33
As far as Brazilian restaurants, I agree; they are great. However, their airline industry is inflexible and absurd. Let me explain.
Most international travelers are allowed 2 bags that weigh about 50 lbs (23 Kg) apiece, right? However, Brazilian law limits passengers to 2 bags weighing 50lbs total between the two. I have had the same problem with their rules every time because it is not built for foreigners. Brazilian law prohibits international carriers from selling point to point travel between Brazilian cities so if you are traveling within their country, you better pack light or be willing to spend extra on “Excess Baggage Fees”. They better get this fixed before the World Cup and the Olympics or they would never hear the end of it.

The knowledge I have so far is that tickets issued in Europe bound to Brasil are entitled to 2 bags of 23kg (50lbs) each. Tickets issued in Brasil bound to Europe are entitled for 2 bags of 32kgs each. Don't know if that has changed very recently.

However you got me worried and checked my ticket with British. It states CLEARLY 2 bags of 23kg each both ways. In excess of 23kgs and up to 32max a penalty of 25 British pounds has to be paid.

My 2 kilos LOL

I was always alloted 2 suitcases, total about 40 kg. You have to check with your carrier before departing since they are looking for extra income concerning baggage. It's a good idea. I've seen 3-5 large suitcases with some travelers. Brazilians are stocking up when visiting the USA with the strength of the Real and US low prices on electronics, etc. I've seen flat screen tvs as checked baggaged going to SP.
Gentlemen:

You can get past all these worries very simply: don't check bags at all! I have not checked a bag in years. If I can't get something into a carry on bag, I just don't take it. Why? There are few things in life I hate more than waiting for bags at a luggage carousel; my vision of hell would be having to do this for all eternity. A second reason is that, back when I did check bags, I brought a lot of junk that I didn't need. So bringing just a carry on makes for much greater peace of mind, and you get out of the airport much faster. Trust me, I have gone on trips lasting several weeks with just what was in a carry on. Moreover, there is no possibility of your bag getting lost or misplaced.

Here's how I do it (I'm not necessarily recommending that you do it this way; I'm just telling you what works for me). I bring the following: one extra pair of pants; four shirts; five underpants, five pair of socks, five handkerchiefs. I wear the underwear and socks for two days; this gives you ten days wear before you have to launder them, which is long enough for most trips. If I have to wash anything, I bring some Woolite with me and wash it in the sink. I also bring other essentials such as toiletries, travel alarm, medicine I might need, and instead of bringing books I use a Kindle I got from Amazon.

Are there drawbacks to using just a carry on? Sure. One is that your liquid and gel cosmetics are limited to 3.4 oz. sizes, but if you run out you can always replenish something locally. I also can't bring my Swiss Army Knife, which I have always found an especially useful implement, especially since it has a scissors inside. But the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

If you are now checking two bags and decide to make this change, it won't be easy. Overpacking is like an addiction, and like any other addiction it's hard to kick and will involve painful withdrawal symptoms. But if you can exercise the discipline to do it, you will find that you didn't need most of the junk you brought with you before.

Just my two cents worth.

Lorenzo

Omonochie
02-09-10, 21:59
After more than 14 years of solid mongering experience in the US and Mexico, I am finally going to come to Rio De Janerio this November. I have been lurking around since when Jackson took over this forum. It is unfortunate that now that I am getting the chance to visit Brazil in November that "Help" is no more. That is where I have been hoping that I would be able to pull out a hotie or two who would not only give me the made-in-Brazil bang of my life but also stay with me for at least a week to show me around the city at for my hands on learning experience so that next time when I come, I would be be completely independent. I guess 4X4 is where the action would be for me based on the popular consensus from members of this forum about the terma. My question is, is it really safe to rent an apartment to stay for a week where I hope I would be able to bring in GPD for my purpose as stated above, or for a Portugal zero speaking guy, and hearing impaired for that matter (well I have been scoring heavily in the USA with over 300 girls under my belt and also in Tijuana in spite of the communication obstacle and without necessarily over paying for the service), would a hotel be more secure for me? My concern is that once you rent an apartment, the renter might have a spare key to the room and can attack or rob you baring all precaution and courtsey you exercised.

Jan 156
02-09-10, 23:44
Gentlemen:

You can get past all these worries very simply: don't check bags at all!

Here's how I do it (I'm not necessarily recommending that you do it this way; I'm just telling you what works for me). I bring the following: one extra pair of pants; four shirts; five underpants, five pair of socks, five handkerchiefs. I wear the underwear and socks for two days; this gives you ten days wear before you have to launder them, which is long enough for most trips. If I have to wash anything, I bring some Woolite with me and wash it in the sink. I also bring other essentials such as toiletries, travel alarm, medicine I might need, and instead of bringing books I use a Kindle I got from Amazon.

Overpacking is like an addiction, and like any other addiction it's hard to kick and will involve painful withdrawal symptoms. But if you can exercise the discipline to do it, you will find that you didn't need most of the junk you brought with you before.

Just my two cents worth.

Lorenzo

Absolutely! For a round the world trip, my rucksack compresses to carry-on- It expands if I want to bring back artefacts.

Nice touch with handkercheifs. I usually use locally bought dishwashing liquid or shampoo to wash them. I don´t use kindle but books are a must for me. This year I have used stanza which I put on an iphone for a few books (together with large dictionaries for different languages, offline maps, dance routines and a diary.) The only ´must have´ which I omitted this year was Guia Ruas, which I found frustrating but it is just too heavy. (I borrowed Riotur´s or looked up obscure streets in a bookshop).

ps if you haven´t seen it yet, check out ´Up in the Air´ (or, Amor sem escalas as it is called here) for some hard talk ion light packing!

BionicMan
02-09-10, 23:45

My 2 kilos LOL

Airlines belonging to One World (British Airways, Cathay Pacific, JAL, Iberia, etc) have agreed the weight allowance for Economy is 23kg max (1 or 2pcs, total weight).
Airlines belonging ot other Alliances (such as Star Alliance, taht means Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian, United, soon TAM, to name a few) still keep the baggage allowance on 20kg total.
I can't report about other alliances as Sky Team, but as far as I recall it is like Star Alliance
When the piece concept applies, it is 2 pcs
Any bag above 23kg will be labelled HEAVY to alert the people handling them.
When they exceed 30 kg each they are not allowed as normal checked baggage but have to be treated as BULK baggage, with proper handling at special counters, trolleys etc.
This is for the Safe & Health of the baggage handling agents.

My extra baggage fuel for the thoughts

Jan 156
02-09-10, 23:48
Does anyone know of any university’s/education centers that are close enough to monger locations yet isolated enough to where the students or school officials would not notice. I have been given the opportunity to set up a summer study abroad program in economics. My employer will pay for me to take two weeks for exploratory set up and then it would be a summer program every year after that. This seems like a great opportunity to combine both work and pleasure while my trip cost and stay would be paid for by my employer. Any information on education centers in Rio or any of the other monger locations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Yep. There is a university on Pres. Vargas a few stops before Mimosa. I have spent a little time there.

Erectus Indicus
02-10-10, 22:45
After more than 14 years of solid mongering experience in the US and Mexico, I am finally going to come to Rio De Janerio this November. I have been lurking around since when Jackson took over this forum. It is unfortunate that now that I am getting the chance to visit Brazil in November that "Help" is no more. That is where I have been hoping that I would be able to pull out a hotie or two who would not only give me the made-in-Brazil bang of my life but also stay with me for at least a week to show me around the city at for my hands on learning experience so that next time when I come, I would be be completely independent. I guess 4X4 is where the action would be for me based on the popular consensus from members of this forum about the terma. My question is, is it really safe to rent an apartment to stay for a week where I hope I would be able to bring in GPD for my purpose as stated above, or for a Portugal zero speaking guy, and hearing impaired for that matter (well I have been scoring heavily in the USA with over 300 girls under my belt and also in Tijuana in spite of the communication obstacle and without necessarily over paying for the service), would a hotel be more secure for me? My concern is that once you rent an apartment, the renter might have a spare key to the room and can attack or rob you baring all precaution and courtsey you exercised.Mate, I am a broken-porto noob having my share of fun in Rio, right now. I rented an apartment after reading the quintessential BwanaDik's guide and Bubba Boy's report. If you tip the doorman/guard at the entrance to the building a couple of times, that should take care of the GDP leaving with your valuables. As for the apartment guy doing it, rent from one of the recommended agencies in the two reports. If you are really worried, lock everything up everytime you leave :) Since you are coming in November, I guess there is plenty of time to read the reports and plan. If it comes to the worst, Ibis hotels seem to be recommended in the forums. Portugues need not be absolutely mandatory but can make things a lot easier. I just got off a 15-min call with a GDP booking her for tonight in my apartment. The questions of when, how long and how much took way too long, I will get back to Pimsleur religiously. As for the termas, if you wear a vague confused expression while smiling and make a writing gesture, the lady will write it out for you. But be careful though, I got hit for a suite while all I wanted was a cabine but the ass was well worth it (4x4) and she's coming home this sunday.
If Balcony is still in operation by November, you can sit and nurse a drink and take your pick (if you can find ones you like). But never ever go to Barbarella's or if you do, dont drink !

And since you are apparently old enough, you wont have my problem of the ladies commenting that I look too young :( I didnt know there was a mongerable age anywhere

Chris Long
02-11-10, 01:25
Can you give me some more information on this place.

Mimosa I am not familiar with this place.

Jan 156
02-11-10, 17:05
Can you give me some more information on this place.

Mimosa I am not familiar with this place.

Are you familiar with Rio? I have posted many times on how to get there, and others have also posted useful stuff. Recently I described the nicer ways to get there by bus or metro from near Tijuca. By bus, now it is easy, as there is a bridge lit up in nice colours and you pull the bell cord when you see it and the next stop is about a hundred yards from Mimosa. If you like more upmarket stuff, there are some opportunities in Tijuca. The Uni is also much closer to Centro mongering than say Copacabana.

The Uni - I am only familiar with the medical faculty and University hospital just behind it as this is where I wanted to interview some people for some work I was doing. As you go along Pres Vargas from Centro, you will see it on the left hand side. It is a big building and I think there is a sign saying university. Many students coming back and forth across the bridge. I hope this is enough for you to find it on the internet and get the details you need.

John Cricket
02-11-10, 17:29

Thanks,

ChrisYou might try Macunaima over on the other monger board. He's supposedly a university professor and probably has the information you are looking for.

John Cricket
02-11-10, 17:31
The Uni - I am only familiar with the medical faculty and University hospital just behind it as this is where I wanted to interview some people for some work I was doing. As you go along Pres Vargas from Centro, you will see it on the left hand side. It is a big building and I think there is a sign saying university. Many students coming back and forth across the bridge. I hope this is enough for you to find it on the internet and get the details you need.Also, UERJ is very near there. Right across from Maracanã, in fact.

Exec Talent
02-11-10, 20:52
You might try Macunaima over on the other monger board. He's supposedly a university professor and probably has the information you are looking for.
Jackson, the owner of this board, does not take kindly to those who chose to promote other boards especially since you TWICE now have been given your own thread and still will not take the hint. One thing in your post however is accurate -- the use of the word supposedly when referring to Macunaima as a university professor. I guess someone who delivers content on methods of agrarian fertilization at a college also might call themselves a professor.

John Cricket
02-13-10, 10:52
If he's got a thread here, you can ask him here. I wasn't aware of the fact that he was on this board.

Also, if I've violated some board rule, I'm sorry. Just trying to help out.

Are you a moderator?

FoxesHunter
02-15-10, 19:00
Hello, if you know very fine Soth America can you tell me what town is the best to get a girl friend for one week? No matter the country but the town. A town where is it possible to to mees an beautiful, hot and easy prey. ;)
I wait for some info.

Jwdub
02-18-10, 03:20
Newbie going to Rio in April although I've mongered quite a bit else where. I normally enjoy a stroll both before and after and was wondering on how safe and far it is to walk from the Sao Cristovao metro station to VM. I've downladed Sperto's excellent maps to the place and it looks pretty easy to find.

Thoughts?

John Cricket
02-18-10, 04:13
Newbie going to Rio in April although I've mongered quite a bit else where. I normally enjoy a stroll both before and after and was wondering on how safe and far it is to walk from the Sao Cristovao metro station to VM. I've downladed Sperto's excellent maps to the place and it looks pretty easy to find.

Thoughts?It's not too bad in the day, provided you keep your wits about you and don't head off on the Quinta da Boa Vista side, which can be dicey at any time of the day.

Do not try it after 5PM.

Voyajer1
02-18-10, 05:23
Since the construction of the metro overpass is complete, the perp walk from Sao Cristovao station to Villa Mimosa is much safer. The sidewalk all the way down is much wider now that it parallels the new rail line. Follow sperto's map but just in case, as you get off the metro station, exit towards the Praca da Bandeiras which parallels the metro. Don't cross the street. Go down the ramp to your left and walk facing the traffic (Traffic should be on your right shoulder) until you reach the entrance of Villa Mimosa on the same side of the street (About a half mile walk). From there it should be easy. Just follow the smell :D

Thoughts?

Auriflama
02-19-10, 04:31
Has anyone ever tried priceline for tickets to brazil by naming your own price? How did it turn out? I mean if you offer say 600 for a 800 usual ticket will they accept.

Auriflama
02-20-10, 05:03
I have a question for you guys flying to brazil. How long does it take for your body to adjust to Brazil's atmosphere?

Abzsafado
02-21-10, 23:51
I have a question for you guys flying to brazil. How long does it take for your body to adjust to Brazil's atmosphere?
It's not the moon you are going to. For me it takes about the length of time it takes me to pass by customs. But if you have come from Alaska it might take a bit longer.
If you get in on an early flight I suggest starting to party ASAP get some afternoon delight then go to sleep around 5pm. Get up at 11pm party some more, go to bed 5am get up 11am party to 5pm. Repeat until the end of holiday, feels like you have twice as many days. And you miss the boring bit of the day when everyone is glued to the television watching novelas.

Nyc Expat
02-22-10, 04:48

You didn't mention where you're coming from. If its U.S. east coast on Tam you can fly during the day without suffering. If you're on a 8-14 hour night flight you'll probably have some jetlag which takes no more than a few hours sleep upon arrival to adjust.

I've flown to SP then domestic for 1½ hrs. and I feel fine, especially when I had a GF to pamper me upon arrival. I did that at least 15 times in an 18 mo. period. I've also flown transatlantic at least 50 times. Jetlag is worse on these flights. Two easy days and you're back to normal.

Tell where you're coming from, season and be specific concerning your meaning of atmosphere. Your physical conditon, age and diet has an effect on long flights.