PDA

View Full Version : Travel Announcements Only (No questions or comments please)

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Maple Red
08-23-08, 03:36
Tamarindo may be a great place to go to enjoy a really nice Costa Rica beach, especially if you bring your own "sand". You may also find some local P4P opportunities (or manage to pick up a non-pro gringa tourist?) as long as you're there anyway. But I personally wouldn't go there with local P4P being a major purpose for my trip.

Prolijo,

Thanks for the info. I have another question for you. What is the best method of transportation from Liberia airport to Tamarindo? Taxi, if so how much should it cost? Alternatively, I was considering renting a car at the airport which seems to cost only about $20/day. What are driving conditions like in that area during the rainy season?

Yes, P4P is not the major purpose. I'll do some surfing and relaxing and P4P could be like the icing on the cake.

I did some research on the water contamination reported last year. Since then, it appears test results have been much better.

Prolijo
08-23-08, 14:22
Maple,

First, I should say this discussion is really in the wrong thread but, just to answer these last few questions, I'll address them here.

If you can really get a car for just $20/day then I'd say you should probably go for that. What type of car is that? A sub-sub compact with a hamster on a treadmill under the hood? Does that $20 include all taxes and insurance (not to mention what you'll need to pay for gas)? I'd imagine you're not going to return the car in Tamarindo, so its really an expense for more than that 1 day (ie $20 x the several days until you return to Liberia). Otherwise there will probably be an extra charge for returning it to a different location than pick-up. I'm playing devil's advocate here because I definitely realize there are also a lot of intangible benefits of having your own set of wheels at your disposal throughout your trip. Those are much harder to quantify.

What about your other alternatives? Well, you happen to be asking a guy who is heavily biased towards using the local public transportation. Buses from Liberia to Tamarindo run nearly every hour from ~4AM until 6PM (or ~7:30Pm if you count the late bus from SJ). So, once you get through the airport, you'll probably have some delay in continuing your trip to Tamarindo if you wait for the public bus, but not horribly so. The main advantage is that the cost is only 1040 colones (~$2). Oh, and the trip takes 1.5 hours from downtown Liberia (a bit less than that if picking up the bus out by the airport which is on the way to the beaches).

In contrast, Interbus only has 3 departures per day (not the greatest times at that at noon, 5:30PM & 6:45PM) and costs $29-35. Somewhat on the plus side for them, however, they're a little quicker at 1.25 hours for the trip and they'll drop you off directly at your hotel vs. possibly having to take a local cab for a buck or two once you get to Tamarindo by bus. The real bottom line for Interbus is that they only possibly make any sense if you're flight's arrival time matches up reasonably well with their few departures.

What about taking a cab all the way from the Liberia airport? I couldn't really say on that. Perhaps someone else could give more exact estimates. I'm guessing that the cab wouldn't take much less time to make the 80km trip than either the public bus or Interbus, MAYBE an hour or perhaps a bit less if the taxista has a lead foot. The main advantage with the cab is that there would be no delays at all once you get through the airport (not even having to check out a rental car). The main disadvantage is that I'm guessing the fare would probably be at least $50 (others please correct me if I'm wrong).

Bottom line: I won't tell you one way is necessarily better than the other for everyone. You personally have to ask yourself how much your time is worth. Is it worth paying $20 or $30 or $50 more to get to your final destination 15-30 minutes or, in the case of Interbus, possibly a few hours earlier?

Re: road conditions, IMHO complaints about poor road quality in CR are greatly exaggerated. I haven't been on the road out to the beaches recently. I believe it has greatly improved since the early days before LIR became an international airport and all the resulting explosive tourism growth on the Guanacaste beaches. Rainy season does bring some degradation of the roads since it takes a while for tico road crews to keep up filling in all the new potholes with their cheap patching material (that seems to wash out with the next big rain anyway), but driving from LIR to Tamarindo should probably not be a big concern for you.

Maple Red
08-24-08, 02:19
... First, I should say this discussion is really in the wrong thread ...
If you can really get a car for just $20/day then I'd say you should probably go for that. What type of car is that? A sub-sub compact with a hamster on a treadmill under the hood? Does that $20 include all taxes and insurance (not to mention what you'll need to pay for gas)? I'd imagine you're not going to return the car in Tamarindo, so its really an expense for more than that 1 day (ie $20 x the several days until you return to Liberia). Otherwise there will probably be an extra charge for returning it to a different location than pick-up.

Prolijo,

Thanks for the added info. If you are in the Tamarindo area and interested in a beer, PM me.

Feel free to suggest an alternate thread in which I should post such subjects in the future. IMHO the "Travel Plans ..." thread seemed suitable. Perhaps a PM is better.

In response to your question, here is a link to the American Airlines car rental site I used. They consolidate prices across various rental agencies and vehicle types. Plug the LIR airport in and your choice of dates and you get a matrix of car rental prices which seem reasonable. I didn't see a category for "hamster on a treadmill" but with cheese prices these days ... probably not economical. :) Base prices and taxes are listed, insurance and gas costs of course are not. However, it is my current understanding that most credit card companies will provide car insurance if I reserve and pay with their card.

http://aav11.aavacations.com/Consumer/carSearchHome.do?src=CPTABCAR&startNewSession=true

Prolijo
08-24-08, 03:55
Red,
IMHO, this topic might fit better under either the "CR Travel Advice" or the "Other Areas" threads. This section, in my view at least, is intended more for announcements of the "I'll be in town the 27th thru the 31st and who wants to meet up?" variety (such as your drink invitation, for example). However, please don't take my "criticism" personally. Other members have gotten on MY case in the past for posting commentary in the Photo Gallery thread. I'd actually be happy to meet up with you for beers some time (if you wouldn't mind listening to all my "gripes"). Unfortunately, I'm probably not looking forward to my next trip until late October or November at the earliest.

As for your rental car link, those DO look like really good prices. I guess that must be one area where prices must be coming down. Rental just be careful. It doesn't always cover as much as you might think. Check out this link www.insurance.com/article.aspx/Should_You_Buy_Rental_Car_Insurance/artid/156. I called my cc company one time to check and was told that their coverage included CR but only for "regular vehicles" on "regular roads". What constituted "off-road" was a little less clear. Fortunately, I've never personally had to test how good my cc coverage really was, but I have heard horror stories of cc bureacratic foot dragging and other aggravation. Honestly, I've aleays taken the gamble myself that my cc coverage was good enough or that I wouldn't have any major accident, but thought you should be forewarned.

Paddy
09-04-08, 16:33
I will be in San Jose from Sept. 8-16. Although I'm a "newbie" to San Jose, I'm a veteran of EE and Prague in particular. This should be an interesting contrast.

Will be staying at the HDR if anyone wants to join forces and do some major "damage" around town. PM me if interested.

Paddy

PapaMac
09-05-08, 02:33
I'll be staying at the Sportsmens from sep 27-30.

If anyone wants to meet up to hit up the spots, let me know.

This is my first trip to San Jose, second to Costa Rica though. Been to Colombia many times.

I am thinking about going white water rafting one day. Sounds like its a good break from the chicas.

James3433
09-07-08, 18:08
Been to Thailand a few times and Mexico twice, I wanted to try something different. I was thinking about a short trip - 5 days, to see how I like it. I am looking for a low stress experience and some very friendly ladies. Thanks for the advise about the buses, I'll try them. But I just wanted to ask a few quick questions:

Clean hotel w/ AC in the $40.00-$60.00 range.

Is it worth taking a day trip to the coast just to see it or is there something special on the Pacific or Atlantic side worth seeing. I asked because I lived in Hawaii for three years. To me a beach is a beach.

Any chat rooms that you would suggest visiting to meet locals at?

Please name the three bars that are a must to visit.

Same for places to eat.

Names one woman that you would see again if you could find her.

And where did you meet her.

Everything else I think I can handle. Many thanks in advance guys.

Please let me know if you what any info on Bangkok or Pattaya.

ThunderPants
09-10-08, 06:57
HOTELS

older sectio of Sportsmen lodge
Castillo
Amistad

Resturant

Machu Pichu
Costa Del Sol
Soda Peru

Bars

Blue Marlin
Molino Rojo
Arcadas ?

Raquel@ Sportsmens or several from Jet Set and the pensiones on 6th

I love to explore best advice go out and find new and undiscovered places

DR Monger II
09-10-08, 07:49
Don't go to Molino Rojo, it's in the red light district. It's dangerous.

ThunderPants
09-10-08, 17:24
LEFT OUT BEACH TRIP NO THE BEACH NOT WORTH THE TIME OR MONEY UNLESS YOU ARE GOING FISHING.

DR MONGER IS CORRECT ABOUT MOLINA ROJO BEING IN THE RED LIGHT DISTRICT, 3 PLACES FOR COMPANSHIP ON THE CORNER Arcadas, Ms Caribe and Molino Rojo plus a decent soda I have been to Molino Rojo several times never found it dangerous. The later you go the better after 12:00 until 3:30 or 4 is best.

Acenva
09-18-08, 02:15
I will be in San Jose on Tuesday Sept 23rd, anyone around.

Ace

Expat13
09-21-08, 22:29
If anyone s in Jaco tonight and needs a wingman I will be down for it.

I know its last minute but thats my usual travel plans.

Sexcape
09-23-08, 19:05
1st x'er in Costa Rica, although season TJ vet. Throwing out the bat signal early. Any one going to be in San Jose during Oct. 20-27?

JazzPlayer
10-16-08, 05:42
Loving life on my own this trip!

James3433
10-26-08, 03:05
Has anyone ever used this hotel? Are they GF friendly? I am looking for some place close to downtown, GF friendly, nice rooms and fairly priced. I knew that I'm asking for a lot but if you don't asked, you end up a virgin.

I'll be in CR in mid Febuary

Joe Roma
10-27-08, 10:20
I am headed to SJO on Nov.13th (6 days). I guess I will stay at the Del Ray. How much are rooms going for? I will be traveling alone and would like to meet up with someone that knows the ropes. I am 36 and fun to hang out with (that sounds gay). Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Prolijo
10-27-08, 17:03
Has anyone ever used this hotel? Are they GF friendly? I am looking for some place close to downtown, GF friendly, nice rooms and fairly priced. I knew that I'm asking for a lot but if you don't asked, you end up a virgin.

I'll be in CR in mid FebuaryIf this is the Adventure Inn that I'm familiar with then it is not particularly close to downtown. In fact that Adventure Inn is located close to the Cariari and actually much closer to the airport than it would be to the Gulch. You'll be spending a lot of time and money on cabs to take you into town and will be harder pressed to talk a chica into going back with you to that hotel.

Also, regarding whether it is "GF friendly", I assume you mean GirlFriend Friendly, in which case I'm sure it is if you want to being your girlfriend with you on your trip. OTOH, if you're a "monger" or want to bring chicas back to your room, then you'll need to find out whether it is "monger-friendly" or "chica-friendly" or possibly even just "girl friendly" although also seems a little inaccurate to me. Sorry to bust your balls, but thought you should know the correct terminology.

I doubt anyone around here can really answer that question for you, since that area is not the usual location where most guys here stay (or maybe someone will), but if you're still interested in staying there your best bet would really be to just ask the hotel. The discreet way to do that would be to casually inquire in a phone call or e-mail (the manager is a gringo) what is their policy on bringing "unregistered guests" back to your room while you're staying there "or visits from local friends". Believe me they'll know what you're talking about and will let you know where they stand. They may discourage it but allow it. They may charge a guest fee or "chica fee". Or they may tell you they simply don't go for that sort of thing at all. Either way, you'll get the idea of their attitudes and if it turns out they seriously look down on it then you've really lost nothing since then you won't be staying there anyway or ever have to see them or talk to them again.

Mrmrmr
11-04-08, 18:03

I'll be in CR in mid FebuaryJames,

I've stayed there - it sucks. Very eco touristy - VERY disappointed in the actual hotel vs the website. The waterpark they tout is nothing more than a free pass to a nearby (another cab ride) small water park which is closed some days of the week, and WAAYYYY too far from ground zero if you want to monger much - the girls and you will not like the long, expensive cab ride.

The rooms were ok, the hotel staff unfriendly, to food acceptable, the location horrible.

Superman06
11-09-08, 05:02
Going for my second trip to San Jose Dec 3 thru 12. Got a decent fare ($334 DCA to SJO American). I didn't get out of the city last time. This time I'm going to travel around the country a bit, maybe even take a few of the overpriced tours. But I guess I'll spend a most of time touring the SL and other tourist spots like last time.

I'm thinking about taking the public buses to places like Jaco and Limon. I used the city buses a bit on my last trip and they were just fine. Any comments about using the public bus for longer trips? It really is quite cheap compared to Interbus and other such companies.

If anyone here is going to be in town 12/3 to 12/12, drop me a PM.

James3433
11-09-08, 06:44
Guys,

I can not afford $200.00 a night or anything close to that. I am looking for something close to the action, clean and affordable. I was looking at the Hemingway; anybody use this place before?

PS: Thanks for the info on the Airport Inn.

Iguana Six
11-09-08, 17:51
Guys,

I can not afford $200.00 a night or anything close to that. I am looking for something close to the action, clean and affordable. I was looking at the Hemingway; anybody use this place before?

Try the Castillo or the Sportsmens Lodge. The Castillo is just up the block from the Hemingway, still close to the action, especially Zona blue and New Fantasy. For chicas in the lobby action and lots of sports channels, try the Sportsmens.

Maddur
11-09-08, 18:01
Superman06
I took the trip a few years back and enjoyed it. However note that the buses are always full and there are no toilets in the bus. The trip takes over 4 hours *go to the bathroom before boarding the bus!
Also keep your eyes open if you are walking to the bus stop in San Jose *not in a very safe neighborhood. Taxi preferred
/Raj

Superman06
11-09-08, 18:27
Guys,

Here are a few places. I stayed at the Vista Linda on my first trip. Very cheap,(about $160 week) clean and secure. All rooms have a private bath and some kitchens. Though it is a bit away from the action. But easy enough to catch a taxi (about $5) or a bus (about $0.34) during the day. Located in an okay working class neighborhood. Several long time and returning residents are very helpful in showing you the ropes. The owner Carlos is a very laid back guy. Some say the neighborhood is bad but I never had a problem of any sort during the day. If going out at night, take a taxi. This is true of any place in San Jose.

I'm looking at the Hostel Marruecos also for this next trip. This is not your traditional Hostel it's actually a low end mp with rooms. Think Little Havana (old Zona Blue) but at a much lower costs. Plus it's just a few blocks from the HDR and Key Largo. Looks very convienent. Rooms with shared bathrooms start at $16 and with private bath $35.

Toadtamer2
11-09-08, 18:56
Public buses are fine. Take them at the old coca cola factory. You might want to buy your ticket in advance. If you buy on the spot you might have a few hours to wait. Watch your back at the station.

Montana64
11-13-08, 21:03
I am only going to spend the first couple days in the SJ area, then heading west. How is the Tico hunting around Samara, Garza or Carrillo?

Bottom Feeder
11-26-08, 22:06
I left CR two days after 911. My favorite haunt then was the Park Hotel. Do you know of any simular hotels in San Jose area now? Cheap rooms, cheap girls always at the bar, and an possibly a Gringo owner?

Thanks

Rsx2005
12-15-08, 00:12
Just wondering if anyone has any advice on travel tickets to CR for New Years. They were only about $350 a couple weeks ago and now they run about $750. After New Years the tickets go back to $350. It is my fault for procrastinating, but I was waiting on a couple friends. Does anyone have any advice. I am traveling out of Florida.

FlyingAce
12-15-08, 14:03
Hello Rsx2005,

You may want to look at the "budget" airline, Spirit Air. They fly out of Ft. Lauderdale (and Orlando) to Costa Rica. I say "budget" because sometime they are and sometimes they aren't. Their prices don't include the normal amentities of food, drink and bags. You pay for each separately. The current offerings are in the price range you mention, but if you sign up for a frequent flyer account and get their weekly specials you can sometimes get fares on off days for as low as the base price of $9.00.

But beware, the prices are the base price. Taxes to CR add about $100.00 or so to the base. I've used them for travel between Lima and Ft. Lauderdale and gotten some good prices. They also have the $9.99 club which gets you offers that aren't open to the normal sales channels.

FlyingAce

Rsx2005
12-16-08, 18:07
Hello Rsx2005,

You may want to look at the "budget" airline, Spirit Air. They fly out of Ft. Lauderdale (and Orlando) to Costa Rica. I say "budget" because sometime they are and sometimes they aren't. Their prices don't include the normal amentities of food, drink and bags. You pay for each separately. The current offerings are in the price range you mention, but if you sign up for a frequent flyer account and get their weekly specials you can sometimes get fares on off days for as low as the base price of $9.00.

But beware, the prices are the base price. Taxes to CR add about $100.00 or so to the base. I've used them for travel between Lima and Ft. Lauderdale and gotten some good prices. They also have the $9.99 club which gets you offers that aren't open to the normal sales channels.

FlyingAceI tried that one, but it was still a little expensive. I may just go ahead and spend the $$ since it is getting a little late in the game. Thanks for the suggestion and let me know if you have any others.

Iguana Six
12-28-08, 21:08
I live in a small town with a regional airport. It has good connections to Atlanta, and Atlanta (Delta) has good connections to Central America. I've been pretty loyal about using the airline, and even got one of their credit cards to boost my frequent flyer miles.

Last fall I tried to redeem them, but I was shy of the magical 60k miles needed for an overseas flight. Now, I have 72K+. I tried to make a reservation. Home-ATL-PTY and SJO-ATL-Home. The plan: spend a four days in Panama, then use TACA to fly PTY-San Jose, then spend a four days in San Jose, then come home.

Knowing that it is all about "availability" (which is airline speak for: how we keep passengers from using frequent flyer miles on flights and dates they actually want to use) I tried making my reservation 4 months in advance.

Well, Delta said that those flights required 80k miles or $660 in cash. Since I only had 73K miles, I would have to buy the other 7k miles for $295. Should I pay for this trip and try using the miles in the fall? Or should I cut my loses, and use up my points now and "save" $330? With the recession, will the airlines just up the number of miles needed to get a free trip?

Member #4258
12-29-08, 00:56
I live in a small town with a regional airport. It has good connections to Atlanta, and Atlanta (Delta) has good connections to Central America. I've been pretty loyal about using the airline, and even got one of their credit cards to boost my frequent flyer miles.

Last fall I tried to redeem them, but I was shy of the magical 60k miles needed for an overseas flight. Now, I have 72K+. I tried to make a reservation. Home-ATL-PTY and SJO-ATL-Home. The plan: spend a four days in Panama, then use TACA to fly PTY-San Jose, then spend a four days in San Jose, then come home.

Knowing that it is all about "availability" (which is airline speak for: how we keep passengers from using frequent flyer miles on flights and dates they actually want to use) I tried making my reservation 4 months in advance.

Well, Delta said that those flights required 80k miles or $660 in cash. Since I only had 73K miles, I would have to buy the other 7k miles for $295. Should I pay for this trip and try using the miles in the fall? Or should I cut my loses, and use up my points now and "save" $330? With the recession, will the airlines just up the number of miles needed to get a free trip?Iguana,

Rule of thumb, the more complicated the itinerary the more difficult it is to find availablity. If one leg is full, it doesn't work. That said, airmiles are gold. I've flow many free flights. Thailandx2, SJOx3, Vegasx4, CTG, plus other places in the carribean and north america. I'm looking right now to book for the fall 2009. You can book a flight as far as 11 months out so I've done that many times. That's best because most of the foreign carriers will have availability 11 months out. It's the US based that get strange. Depending on the time of year, how they anticipate demand and 99 other variables, the availabity comes and goes. You need to go onto Delta's website and see the availability but then you can only see what's avail for the Delta flight. When you phone them to peice together the rest that's when they start to reccomend all kinds of rediculous alternatives. I've actually driven to ATL before to make it work. Avail can change and often all kinds of things open up closer to the departure date. It's very dynamic. Really any availabilty can open up any time but if the plane isn't going to be full, then they open more seats. Last minute can work too.

Don't give away your airmiles to the airline and don't buy any from them. The flight you just described is an open jaw and really only 35K miles so you really have enough to go twice. I never use more than the minimum but I'm always flexible. You just can't be picky on the dates, and you need to be patient and keep checking. Plus you may need to drive to ATL to make it work. I've also found that ATL can be strange for direct flights. You just never know, it's up to the airline gods.

The airlines are in a good position right now. They cut back flights well ahead of this slowdown. Because fuel is down they'll make money in 2009.

Delta already increased miles required for reward flights, eg South america is 10K more for 2009. I think Central America stayed the same at 35K..I'll need to check to be sure.

Hoser

Nickster53
12-29-08, 17:16
I am going to be in San Jose over the weekend of January 9th through the 12th. I am planning on staying at HLH and exploring all of the gulch activities.
I have done a lot in Brazil and Argentina but this will be my first trip to CR.

If anyone is going to be around during that time frame and would like to meet for a drink and explore, send me a PM. I speak a little Spanish and even more after a few drinks.

N

Jaimito Cartero
12-29-08, 19:04
Are you trying to book a first class or a coach flight? US-Central America is usually 35k for a standard coach award.

Delta doesn't have the best web interface for booking awards. Usually you want to book using the multicity tool. So you'd book your city (let's say it's Memphis), so MEM-PTY-SJO-MEM. It may only offer you Atlanta connections, or may put you through Houston (IAH) or Los Angeles.

I'm a NWA elite flyer, and I put in some dates, and was coming up with 42,500 miles in coach. The SJO-US flights were harder to come by.

If you'd like to PM me some dates, and the city you're flying out of, I can perhaps figure something out for you. I travel extensively, and am pretty good at finding decent awards.

Well, Delta said that those flights required 80k miles or $660 in cash. Since I only had 73K miles, I would have to buy the other 7k miles for $295. Should I pay for this trip and try using the miles in the fall? Or should I cut my loses, and use up my points now and "save" $330? With the recession, will the airlines just up the number of miles needed to get a free trip?

Jaimito Cartero
12-29-08, 19:08
I left CR two days after 911. My favorite haunt then was the Park Hotel. Do you know of any simular hotels in San Jose area now? Cheap rooms, cheap girls always at the bar, and an possibly a Gringo owner?

I never stayed at the Park, but did bang a chica there, and take in a couple of the Lesbo shows.

I don't think there is an exact match for the Park these days. I'm sure there are other cheap hotels, though. The Sportsman Lodge had chicas in the bar when I stopped by to visit a guy who was staying there. I think it's rooms are in the $45-$60 a night range, though. I'd check current threads, since I don't stay at any of the hotels, and my info could be years out of date.

Iguana Six
12-30-08, 17:37
I'd like to thank everyone for their advice on how to handle my Delta frequent flyer miles problem.

The day after I was told that a home-ATL-PTY/SJO-ATL-home trip would cost me 80k miles, I called the customer service number. I tried seeing how far in advance I would have to book in order to get that flight for less.

After checking 7, 9, and 11 months from now, and the "price" not coming down, the rep realized that it wasn't the advance booking that was making the price so high, but the way the flight was configured. It was an "open jaw" so instead of being one round trip which would cost 25k-35k miles, it was charging me the price for four one-ways, whichis 20k each.

I explained to her that Delta's website didn't show a connection between PTY and SJO. The rep found one with an affiliate, Copa, and that made all the difference.

So, not only do I not have to buy a ticket with Taca, for my "open jaw", but I will get home-ATL-PTY-SJO-ATL-home for just 60k miles (not 80k). Also, I will get first class for three of those five flights.

What a difference getting some good advice and talking to a smart rep makes.

James3433
12-31-08, 00:01
I will be arriving at 8:15 PM, is this too late for the bus?

If so, does anybody know a taxi company or private driver to hire.

I'll be staying at the Hemingway Hotel, I got a nice rate $44.00 per night.

Guys, mongers, cheap-xxxsy-chasers of the world

Make a list of the Best-Of-Costa-Rica and post it!

Best bars, Best Massage Palors, Best Girls, Best Side-trips, Best Resturants

Is there any flea markets or local market places in San Jose?

Any types of local crafts or art, besides xxxsy.

Member #4258
12-31-08, 22:59
I'd like to thank everyone for their advice on how to handle my Delta frequent flyer miles problem.

The day after I was told that a home-ATL-PTY/SJO-ATL-home trip would cost me 80k miles, I called the customer service number. I tried seeing how far in advance I would have to book in order to get that flight for less.

After checking 7, 9, and 11 months from now, and the "price" not coming down, the rep realized that it wasn't the advance booking that was making the price so high, but the way the flight was configured. It was an "open jaw" so instead of being one round trip which would cost 25k-35k miles, it was charging me the price for four one-ways, whichis 20k each.

I explained to her that Delta's website didn't show a connection between PTY and SJO. The rep found one with an affiliate, Copa, and that made all the difference.

So, not only do I not have to buy a ticket with Taca, for my "open jaw", but I will get home-ATL-PTY-SJO-ATL-home for just 60k miles (not 80k). Also, I will get first class for three of those five flights.

What a difference getting some good advice and talking to a smart rep makes.60K and 3 legs in 1st class.

Sounds good to me! Glad it worked out.
Hoser

Superman06
01-02-09, 14:20
Everything you want to know is on this forum. Just take a little time to RTFF before asking your fellow mongers to create various lists for you. Were not on your payroll, are we? Take a few hours to read the forum and notice there is a search function at the top.

I will be arriving at 8:15 PM, is this too late for the bus?

If so, does anybody know a taxi company or private driver to hire.

I'll be staying at the Hemingway Hotel, I got a nice rate $44.00 per night.

Guys, mongers, cheap-xxxsy-chasers of the world

Make a list of the Best-Of-Costa-Rica and post it!

Best bars, Best Massage Palors, Best Girls, Best Side-trips, Best Resturants

Is there any flea markets or local market places in San Jose?

Any types of local crafts or art, besides xxxsy.

Manizales911
01-02-09, 15:52
Are there any flea markets or local market places in San Jose?

Any types of local crafts or art, besides xxxsy.You've got to be kidding,right? You are on a sex forum about Costa Rica and you want to know if there are freekin' FLEA MARKETS???

Que Rico
01-02-09, 21:27
i disagree, this is a perfect site to throw in a question like that .

markets -- there are several markets near downtown, but by far the largest is the mercado central, located between avenidas central and 1 and calles 6 and 8. although this dark maze of stalls is primarily a food market, inside you'll find all manner of vendors, including a few selling costa rican souvenirs, crude leather goods, and musical instruments. be especially careful about your wallet or purse and any prominent jewelry because very skilled pickpockets frequent this area. all the streets surrounding the mercado central are jammed with produce vendors selling from small carts or loading and unloading trucks. it's always a hive of activity, with crowds of people jostling for space on the streets. your best bet is to visit on sunday or on weekdays; saturday is particularly busy. in the hot days of the dry season, the aromas can get quite heady. if you have a delicate constitution, don't eat any fruit that you don't peel yourself (oranges, bananas, mangoes, and so on).

Bunda Man
01-20-09, 04:53
Will be at SL Valentine's and President's Day weekend. Would be great to meet up with any members who are in town for beers and good conversation.

Capt Crunch
01-22-09, 03:39
One Travel is having an airfare special. The site is: www.Onetravel.com

Miami to San Jose: $148rt

Ft. Laud. to San Jose: $158rt

Chicago to San Jose: $218rt

D.C. to San Jose: $228rt

Tampa to San Jose: $298rt

L.A. to San Jose: $200rt

Capt Crunch

Green_Thumb
01-23-09, 12:54
can anyone recommend a place that i can get a good, cheap, purely therapeutic massage? i have been to new fantasy but obviously massage is not what those lovely ladies are best at.

while there will be plenty of opportunities for sex and hedonism of which i will surely indulge, i know that after a couple days of golf, zip lining & white water rafting, i'm gonna need a good professional quality rubdown.

thanks,

gt

Superman06
01-24-09, 16:36
can anyone recommend a place that i can get a good, cheap, purely therapeutic massage? i have been to new fantasy but obviously massage is not what those lovely ladies are best at.

while there will be plenty of opportunities for sex and hedonism of which i will surely indulge, i know that after a couple days of golf, zip lining & white water rafting, i'm gonna need a good professional quality rubdown.

thanks,

gt
there's a place on the corner directly across from the holiday inn by parque morazon and next to the internet cafe. it's like a hair and nails place. they usually have four or five masseuses on duty. i wasn't sure if extras were available when i went in but i found out later they weren't. i begged and pleaded with a ragging hard on with a promise of a good tip but no go. but i did get an incredible massage. highly reccomended.

Superman06
01-24-09, 16:43
One Travel is having an airfare special. The site is: www.Onetravel.com

Miami to San Jose: $148rt

Ft. Laud. to San Jose: $158rt

Chicago to San Jose: $218rt

D.C. to San Jose: $228rt

Tampa to San Jose: $298rt

L.A. to San Jose: $200rt

Capt Crunch
Be sure to add a $101.29 for taxes and fees from DC. Actually the best I found there for March (when I would like to go) was $298.00 plus the T&F = $399.29. Taxes and fees can really kill a decent airfare.

Dodger Bulldog
01-25-09, 19:28
Be sure to add a $101.29 for taxes and fees from DC. Actually the best I found there for March (when I would like to go) was $298.00 plus the T&F = $399.29. Taxes and fees can really kill a decent airfare.Check American Airlines web site. If you can get to Miami, you can find fares to San Jose on many days for $212, all taxes included.

DB

Fantasy
01-26-09, 02:44
I hate them, but i just booked for 218.00 including all taxes from atlanta in March.......... of course you have to add 15 bucks each way for my bag!!!
Late last night I got my private copy of Dodger's pictures and I booked Immediatly!!!

Ojalvar01
02-01-09, 16:38
Hey Guys,

I will be visiting Alajuela in about three weeks, anyone has the contact of a good looking working chic?

Or can recommend me where to get chicas?

Nixonbd
02-03-09, 00:26
I hate them, but i just booked for 218.00 including all taxes from atlanta in March.......... of course you have to add 15 bucks each way for my bag!!!
Late last night I got my private copy of Dodger's pictures and I booked Immediatly!!!

Spirit is the worst. Have to pay fro your friggin seat too, even if you select a middle seat. Surprised they haven't charged to use the restroom yet.

Ojalvar01
02-14-09, 06:58
Hey,

Sorry to bother but I am going to be in Alajuela first week of March. Anyone can give me some tips, where to find girls?

Mr Jetsetter
02-15-09, 19:40
Ojalvar01

Two pieces of advice: plan on doing your mongering in San Jose, not Alajuela, and RTFF!

Tombstone Man
02-26-09, 23:30
I will be in San Jose on Mar 19-24 staying at the LaAmistad. this is trip #10

Gopack
03-03-09, 01:08
I'll be in Jaco staying at Claritas if anyone wants to meet up at Beetle Bar.

Colombia Lover
03-15-09, 15:19
Got a great flight on AA for $99 each way plus tax (Orlando to SJO). Staying at the SL. First time in SJ to stay. Been to CR twice before for eco-tourism. Spend most of my time in Colombia.

Hope to meet some of you there.

CL

Mangey Scene
03-15-09, 20:44
I'll be in Jaco staying at Claritas if anyone wants to meet up at Beetle Bar.I've at Clarita's before. Any other good or similar place recommended at Jaco?

Are there any sandy beaches recommended in the Atlantic side? I'm probably returning to San Jose and staying at Zona Blue at the end of May, 2009 and would like a wingman.

Rsx2005
04-11-09, 08:18
Hey guys,

Just wondering how bad the rainy season is there. I was trying to go in mid May, but I am not able to go til after the 5th of June. I hear some say its not worth it and other sites say its not bad at all and its actually a better time to go. If it sounds too bad from the experts, then i will go somewhere else and hit CR another time.

Thanks

===============================================

Hi Rsx2005,

I appreciate your intentions, but with all due respect, the Travel Plans & Announcements thread is provided solely for the purpose of allowing members to announce their individual travel plans so they may connecting with other members who are also traveling to or who may live in the country.

Pursuant to this purpose, the Travel Plans & Announcements thread is routinely purged of it's posts as they quickly become irrelevant.

Experience has proven that when members post questions in the Travel Plans & Announcements thread, the thread quickly turns into a discussion thread.

The Forum provides numerous other threads for discussing visas, airlines, hotels, apartments for rent, restaurants, places to visit, where to find chicas, etc.

I would very much appreciate it if you would consider re-posting your question in one of these established threads.

Thanks,

Jackson

Bunda Man
04-16-09, 04:52
I'll be in town for July 4th weekend for my second trip to San Jose. Anyone else in town celebtrating Independence Day abroad? I'm staying at the Sportsmans with with 3 other guys.

Lion Killer
04-18-09, 05:59
My plans are to arrive in San Jose July 2nd and depart July 5th, I always stay at the Del Rey, lets try and hook up, lots of time between now and then to make plans

LK

Thelmas Gone
04-22-09, 21:06
I will be arriving solo in San Jose April 30- May 5. Will anyone be around? I am staying at the HDR since this is my first visit to San Jose. I am a little bored with the Sosua DR scene and decided to spread my wings.

Superman06
05-09-09, 13:53
I will be arriving for my third trip to the land of milk and honies (not original, I know) on May 21 and will be staying at the Castiilo. On CRT I'm slimjohnson. I hope to meet up with all you mongering individuals at all the usual places. Drop me a pm if you're going top be in town then.

MrVee
05-20-09, 10:54
Arriving Friday afternoon, have a meeting, then available that night and/or Saturday night, if anyone would like to 'go shopping'. :-)

Sanpedro 1234
06-08-09, 05:25
Hi, Bunda man,

I will be in San Jose July 3-9. Let's try and hook up.

It is going to be my first time in the country.

S

TaxGuy666
06-21-09, 21:38
I will be hanging out at the Del Rey / Key Largo area during these dates. Anyone else? All my buddies bailed on me so I am going solo. Let me know.

Johnny Dude
06-23-09, 05:18
I will be hanging out at the Del Rey / Key Largo area during these dates. Anyone else? All my buddies bailed on me so I am going solo. Let me know.Hello,

I will be there and will be hanging around Del Rey around the same time. Don't have Hotel yet, but will be statying close to HDR. We can hang and can serve as wingman. How do I contact you once there?

Johnny

Trottle Buck
07-14-09, 07:01
Damn I post it on the wrong section , here it goes again:

Well be heading for CR in 2 weeks, 3 years since last time, will be staying in the downtown area , have 3 pros waiting for me since last time, however I have 6 none pros who I will be probably spending most of the time.Just trying to coordonate my time with them.

Oh and I will be spending time in the famous Dal Rey.

See ya guys around.

Memguy
10-10-09, 12:17
I have made plans to be in San Jose for a week starting Friday October 17. If anyone is going to be around let me know.

Would prefer to hang with someone who knows the scene.

Thanks

Bunda Man
10-19-09, 03:56
Will be staying, where else, at the Sportsmans for trip number 4. Plan on expanding my activities a bit more this trip to visit some of the popular tourist destinations such as the Volcano, Waterfalls, and Jaco Beach instead of going back and forth from the bar to my room with chicas all day and night.

Hope to meet anyone else who will be in town for those dates.

Lion Killer
10-19-09, 14:18
I will be there for the Thanksgiving holiday only, Nov 26 thru Nov 29. I always stay at ground zero "Hotel Del Rey". To short of a trip for me to do nothing but go upstairs/downstairs with the chica's all day and all night

LK

Mr Jetsetter
10-21-09, 04:38
I'll be in San Jose November 25th thru December 1st, my 12th trip, I believe.
Would be delighted to buy both Lion Killer and Bunda Man a drink, in the locale of their choosing!

Lion Killer
10-21-09, 14:21
I will take you up on that drink & buy you one back in return, I will be sitting at the Blue Marlin Bar Thursday afternoon around 5:00 to 6:00 PM wiith a buddy of mine. I will be drinking a screwdriver (vodka/orange)

LK

Mr Jetsetter
10-22-09, 05:26
LK

See you there! I'll PM you a few days before we head to CR. There might be a bunch of guys at the Blue Marlin sipping on a screwdriver! Can't think of a better place to hang for Thanksgiving.

Fuddzie
10-23-09, 02:08
Whats the best way to get from th airport to jaco?

Fantasy
10-23-09, 03:26
in Latin America On November 15th for the winter. First stop: San Jose!

Misteroc
11-01-09, 17:51
Hey,

Going down for the long weekend Nov 6-10th. Never been before. I will be on the Zona a lot, but want to take one day to ATV and zipline. Anyone else interested? Just one day though.

PM me

Stevewxly
11-01-09, 23:24
Whats the best way to get from th airport to jaco?

Best Way From Airport to Jaco Beach:

Probably the best way to get directly from the San Jose International Airport to Jaco Beach is to take either Greyline or Interbus - mini vans.

They are air conditioned, carry about 8-10 passengers, and they are direct making only one brief rest stop approx. half way for coffee, soft drinks, eats, smoke break, etc.

Last time there the price was around $ 22. to 23.00 for the one way trip. it should take you approx. 2 1/2 to 3 hours - one way.

They will drop you off at your hotel of your choosing or anywhere along the main drag you select.

Only thing is that they only run about twice per day- so it depends upon when you arrive - how long you must wait at the airport or how long they (mini bus must wait for you)....and they tend to fill up quickly....so a reservation is must have....both have websites....contact them and tell them when you will be arriving...and they will pick you up at the front door of the airport. Very convienent (sp) and a better ride than taking the public bus, which stops frequently and take longer....and for the regular public bus - you usually have to go to San Jose (town) and then get the bus from the Coca Cola bus station....reg. bus is very cheap though at around $ 3.50 US.

Or you can talk to any of the taxi drivers around the airport....if you are in a real hurry ----- they will usually take you to Jaco for around $ 45 to $ 50.00
USD - or up depending upon what they think they can charge you.

My advice - make a reservation for one of the mini buses.....I think it is the best way to go.

There is a new highway to Jaco Beach in the offing.....but I am not sure if it is open yet....but if it is....then that should cut some time off of this trip.

Steve

Hotrod10
11-03-09, 04:30
I have this opportunity to go to Liberia on Friday thats 4 days from now. OK so I'm reading the forum fast and furious but can anyone help me out with a hotel near the action for around $50.00. I would like to confirm it tonight. Any other info about Liberia would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nica Bound
11-04-09, 04:40
I have this opportunity to go to Liberia on Friday thats 4 days from now. OK so I'm reading the forum fast and furious but can anyone help me out with a hotel near the action for around $50.00. I would like to confirm it tonight. Any other info about Liberia would be appreciated.

Thanks

----

The absolutely best place to go in Liberia is actually............San Jose !

Sorry, Rod, but it is true !

Fantasy
11-05-09, 00:41
If you have any! Drop them off and fly to San Jose. Two places not to go in all of central america for monger activities are: 1) anywhere in Belize, 2) Liberia, Costa Rica

C H A N G E Y O U R P L A N S !

PapaMac
11-05-09, 03:57
Just confirmed the plans for a Nov 16-19th 2 day get away to the Sportsman's Lodge.

Looking to have some phun in my 72 short hours there!

Doc_Austin
12-23-09, 02:43
Yes, I know it's the absolute worst time to go for mongers, but my friend had never been, so we'd thought we would give it a whirl. At least the casinos will be open.

We'll be staying at the SL Dec 25-Dec 31, so if anyone is around, let's grab a beer. I've been working with some of the agencies to ensure that we have some play at least. PM if you're going to be in the area.

Doc

Bunda Man
12-26-09, 01:53
Staying at the Sportsmans February 11-15, although I may have to cut this trip a day short due to work.

Dima25
12-26-09, 06:09
Hey guys, need some help. I have 4 people who are going to San Jose in late January and we are looking for a 4 bedroom apartment for rent for 1 week in San Jose. Anyone know any good places?

Stevewxly
12-26-09, 16:43
Hey guys, need some help. I have 4 people who are going to San Jose in late January and we are looking for a 4 bedroom apartment for rent for 1 week in San Jose. Anyone know any good places?

I don't know of anything at the moment specific to what you are looking for but -
Look in the "classified ad's section" here - there are some apartments advertised, - one place says, " three bedroom penthouse" - which might work for your group....

Also if you will do a search on Google for 'apartments in San Jose CR" - you should see listings of several places, and then also search "apartments" on this forum for info.

Biceps1963
12-28-09, 23:10
4 bderoom in San Jose

http://www.greatrentals.com/rental-property/p187093

I use this site almost everytime I travel.

Good luck

David Wonder
01-02-10, 10:28
Hey guys,

I've been reading the posts for my first CR trip. I'll be there from 22nd for the weekend if any of you would be interested in hanging out and get some actions at different venues.

Nixonbd
01-05-10, 23:51
Just wonder if anyone on here has some inside info on the airfare outlook over the next month or two. Right now on AA from Tampa, flights are about $330 to SJO. I want to lock something in for March, but not sure if they're going to drop at all. Just saw a gas station raising prices today due to crude costs, but airlines buy in contracts. Now it also appears there may be increased screaning at airports which will be tacked onto airfares, I'm sure. Seems like the airline industry can never catch a break. Which means the consumer gets screwed too. Just curious.

Stevewxly
01-06-10, 00:21
Just wonder if anyone on here has some inside info on the airfare outlook over the next month or two. Right now on AA from Tampa, flights are about $330 to SJO. I want to lock something in for March, but not sure if they're going to drop at all. Just saw a gas station raising prices today due to crude costs, but airlines buy in contracts. Now it also appears there may be increased screaning at airports which will be tacked onto airfares, I'm sure. Seems like the airline industry can never catch a break. Which means the consumer gets screwed too. Just curious.

If you are leaving from Florida to go to CR - try MartinAir out of Miami....they have had some great discount deals in the past----but don't know what their current prices are like.

Also Spirit Air goes out of Ft Lauderdale and they typically have some great discounts deals to San Jose - if you can get a ticket and a seat.

MikeNice2732
01-06-10, 20:01
I just booked a round trip ticket on AA from Bos to SJO for $403. 42 including all taxes 2/2 to 3/2. Rental car for the month for 360 and apt for $800 with 2 people it was 980 each all done on Orbitz (just in case you were in need of that info). Seems like not a bad time to go. I am looking for info on Tamarindo which is close to Playa Grande where I am staying. Anything happening there or will I have to make the LONG drive to San Jose every time for my mongering. Any help would be appreciated and I will surely post anything I learn when I get back.

Lowkey1
01-08-10, 10:36
Hey guys,

I've been reading the posts for my first CR trip. I'll be there from 22nd for the weekend if any of you would be interested in hanging out and get some actions at different venues.I'll be in Town Jan 20 to 26. Id be down to meet up for a few beers and check out the town. It will be my first time there too. Which hotel you gunna stay at? I'm debating between Del Ray and Sportsman.

Nixonbd
01-13-10, 01:36

Since that post of mine, only one week ago, AA is now $538 for the same $330 flight during Feb and March that I was considering. Delta in mid-Feb, mid-March is over $620. Spirit is the only one half realistic, at $323.42 without joinging their $9 club. Add on the seat charges and their up near $400. May have to re-think this.

Bunda Man
01-13-10, 04:59
Since that post of mine, only one week ago, AA is now $538 for the same $330 flight during Feb and March that I was considering. Delta in mid-Feb, mid-March is over $620. Spirit is the only one half realistic, at $323.42 without joinging their $9 club. Add on the seat charges and their up near $400. May have to re-think this.

Airfares have spiked across the board. I saved more than $200.00 by moving my departure date a day earlier. Of course, I am going during a Holiday Weekend(President's Day) so that obviously played a role. Leaving Thursday Feb. 11 direct out of Newark Airport and returning Sun. Feb. 14 direct back to Newark on Continental would have set me back more than $600, round trip, compared to $400 departing Wednesday Feb. 10 and returning Sun. Feb. 14, also direct both ways.

Last year for the same weekend I paid less than $400 direct round trip on Continental. All of the other airlines I searched for my upcoming trip, including American, US Airways, United, Jet Blue, Spirit, Taca and Delta were no better and did not offer direct flights. Mexicana was less than $400.00 out of JFK but would have required spending a night in Mexico City(which I wouldn't mind as much if this wasn't a short trip).

Just one more factor among many which detract from our hobby during a period of decline. Anyone think any of the Del Rey hotties will be sympathetic with their pricing if I explain my air fare struggle? :(

Pura Vida, BM.

Pops1
01-15-10, 13:46
Hey guys,

I've been reading the posts for my first CR trip. I'll be there from 22nd for the weekend if any of you would be interested in hanging out and get some actions at different venues.David,

Where are you going to be.

I'm at the Sportsman's Lodge and can get you pointed in the right direction.

Pops

Nixonbd
01-15-10, 23:19
Airfares have spiked across the board. I saved more than $200.00 by moving my departure date a day earlier. Of course, I am going during a Holiday Weekend(President's Day) so that obviously played a role. Leaving Thursday Feb. 11 direct out of Newark Airport and returning Sun. Feb. 14 direct back to Newark on Continental would have set me back more than $600, round trip, compared to $400 departing Wednesday Feb. 10 and returning Sun. Feb. 14, also direct both ways.

Last year for the same weekend I paid less than $400 direct round trip on Continental. All of the other airlines I searched for my upcoming trip, including American, US Airways, United, Jet Blue, Spirit, Taca and Delta were no better and did not offer direct flights. Mexicana was less than $400.00 out of JFK but would have required spending a night in Mexico City(which I wouldn't mind as much if this wasn't a short trip).

Just one more factor among many which detract from our hobby during a period of decline. Anyone think any of the Del Rey hotties will be sympathetic with their pricing if I explain my air fare struggle? :(

Pura Vida, BM.

I did luck out and got a flight on American for $400 RT out of Tampa for a return next month. Not bad, but about $80 more than I'm used to paying!
Already booked into the Del Rey. Hope they got the elevator cables lubed up :)

Lowkey1
01-18-10, 05:16
I will be there this wens till tues. I have not booked a hotel yet...is that a problem? I was looking at the Amistad or Del ray or Sportsman.

I feel the Amistad wiill be the cheapest and less hassle with company.

Jason7481
02-03-10, 14:25
Hey Everybody,

I am Going to CR on March 4 thur the 8th. This will be my first trip there and i am looking for someone to show me around and maybe have a few beers with. I know the ropes with most of the west palm beach girls but not so much with these latina girls. I would like to make the best of my trip, if your going to be there please send a PM with your phone number and i will call you. Also if you need any help with the girls in WPB just let me know I can point you in the right direction. Hopefully someone will repley to this message. I will be at the sportsman lodge for the duration of my stay.

Thanks

Cloude
02-04-10, 10:20
Jason,
You can pm pops1 and he can give you info on his tours. I took his tour my first trip to Costa Rica and it helped me and my wingmen get the lay of the land. It was well worth the cost. You should also join CRT to get the most up to date info.

Pura Vida
Cloude

Lopkx
02-07-10, 02:18
I will be there this wens till tues. I have not booked a hotel yet...is that a problem? I was looking at the Amistad or Del ray or Sportsman.

I feel the Amistad wiill be the cheapest and less hassle with company.
If you want to stay at Amistad or Sportsman book soon. I am planning on being there week of February 16th and they were almost sold out.

Lopkx
02-07-10, 02:23
I did luck out and got a flight on American for $400 RT out of Tampa for a return next month. Not bad, but about $80 more than I'm used to paying!
Already booked into the Del Rey. Hope they got the elevator cables lubed up :)I got a flight with Delta from DC round trip for $478, one stop in Atlanta. Seems like about $400 RT is the going rate.

Lee Iam
02-08-10, 01:29
What is the best time travel to CR? Is the chica selection better during peak tourist season (DEC-APR). Or is it better during the other months.

MikeNice2732
02-09-10, 22:57
Will be in San Jose Feb 17 about 10 at night and 18th and maybe 19th. Anyone want to go get a drink and maybe check out the scene. Feel much safer to have a wingman.

I'm staying at Del Rey

Pops1
02-15-10, 19:53
Call me on my cell phone when you get to the Rey and I'll meet you for a beer. Ed 8-336-7636. Last night at the Rey was extra slow. Very few girls. Sunday night and Valentines day probably the reason. Everything else is normal. Beautiful weather, beautiful girls, more fun than a man deserves.

Rockman007
02-15-10, 21:28
I would like to fish and have chicas. I'm told the two are far apart.

Is there a place that has the best of both worlds?

Stevewxly
02-16-10, 16:48

Check out Jaco Beach CR....you can do both there...and the both gals and the fishing are pretty good.

Member #2041
02-16-10, 18:22

Yes, Jaco would certainly be your best bet, although when I was in CR a few years ago, I found that the fishing boats out of Jaco/Los Suenos were overpriced compared to the ones out of Quepos. But, and this is a BIG but, if the road is in good shape, Quepos is less than an hour from Jaco. Checking the website I posted below, the prices now seem to have equalized between the two areas.

I can endorse this outfit, which runs boats out of both places:

http://www.queposfishing.com/

MikeNice2732
02-21-10, 14:55
Pops1,

I just got your email and already left San Jose and now surfing in Playa Grande. I am trying to get back for 2 more days before my flight leaves and will call you if I do. And God bless the Del Rey.

MikeNice2732
02-21-10, 20:21
Pops1,

I will be in San Jose again on the 1st and maybe the day before as well.

I didn't see your post or I would have called.

I will call you.

Fernand0
02-24-10, 20:16
I'm headed to San Jose 3-11 thru 3-13 solo for the first time. Looking to grab a beer or two with some fellow mongers.

Pura Vida,

Fernand0

Iguana Six
02-28-10, 05:02
I'm headed to San Jose 3-11 thru 3-13 solo for the first time. Looking to grab a beer or two with some fellow mongers.

Pura Vida,

Fernand0

Iguana Six will be in SJO 3 to 11 MArch. Will probably stay in the HLH. Always glad t mee other members. Fernando, if you need a guide or wingman, I´m your man. Just don´t cock-block me with Tamara or Yirla.

Aznmike
03-02-10, 06:47
I will be going to San Jose from March 11-14 most likely. This will be my second time here. Anyone else want to pair up or get in a crew? 22,Male. I will try to stay at sportsmen's lodge or Hotel La Amistad like last time. Trip not 100 percent sure yet.

Freddy Mz1
03-05-10, 00:49
Any one with some Spanish as I know none.

Most likely will be staying at Castillo or Hemingway inn.

Male 31 light drinker and smoker (cigarette).

Artisttyp
03-05-10, 07:43
I hope to actually make this trip. Unfortunately I was caught up in the chile earthquake fiasco...long story.

I thought I'd finally give san jose a chance. I've visited a number of places in south america but I just never made it to san jose. I was in jaco for 10 days years ago but was not impressed. Since then I've been told there is a gritty local scene in san jose. This is my objective. Over $50 and I say NO.

I am considering visiting managua as well but nothing is in stone.

Low end sleaze is my game. I will for certain be hitting up tico places.

Many thanks to juan carter and stevewxly for pre planning info.

Bunda Man
03-16-10, 04:08
Will be back for my 5th trip, mother nature willing, and will be staying at the Sportsmans as I have for every trip. My Feb. 10-14 trip didn't happen because my flight was canceled due the Feb. 9-10 snow storm. As always would be great to meet fellow members.

Hola Mundo
03-16-10, 04:56
Hi Artisttyp,

I have always enjoyed your informative reports from the field. I have saved up your last reports from Medellin, and plan to use them for my first trip to Columbia.

I have been San Jose twice and liked the scene. Despite the city itself being a dump, the mongering experience is unique.

Have a good trip.

HM

I hope to actually make this trip. Unfortunately I was caught up in the chile earthquake fiasco. Long story.

I thought I'd finally give san jose a chance. I've visited a number of places in south america but I just never made it to san jose. I was in jaco for 10 days years ago but was not impressed. Since then I've been told there is a gritty local scene in san jose. This is my objective. Over $50 and I say NO.

I am considering visiting managua as well but nothing is in stone.

Low end sleaze is my game. I will for certain be hitting up tico places.

Many thanks to juan carter and stevewxly for pre planning info.

Artisttyp
03-16-10, 19:15
Hi Artisttyp,

I have always enjoyed your informative reports from the field. I have saved up your last reports from Medellin, and plan to use them for my first trip to Columbia.

I have been San Jose twice and liked the scene. Despite the city itself being a dump, the mongering experience is unique.

Have a good trip.

HM

Thank you for your kind words. As usual I promise nothing but something usually turns up.

I would really like to see managua for myself. If anything a "welcome to managua" post would be the most inspiring to me. However I think there could be some goodies in SJ as well.

A final TR is always a given.

Mellowg
03-20-10, 18:00
Mexicana Airlines has slashed fares from its major US gateways to San José, Costa Rica. This is not an advertised sale and could disappear at any moment.

Fares from Chicago are as low as us$246 round-trip including taxes, and seats can be found for year round travel.

Fares from other cities appear to be available only for April or May travel and range from us$249 (from Los Angeles) to us$288 (from New York JFK). Fares from Washington are us$286, all including taxes. However, fares for travel during other months aren't much higher. For example, Airfarewatchdog researchers found seats from New York to San Jose for as little as us$314 round-trip for October travel.

Tombstone Man
03-27-10, 00:43
I'll be in town on Apr. 14-19. Staying at the DUNN INN.

Tasty1
03-27-10, 14:43
Will be in town April 4 thru 7. Staying at La Amistead.

Ticas And Chicas
04-02-10, 22:25
38, fit, looking to stay at Presedente or Sportsmans Lodge.

Looking to go early May. Dates flexible.

Send me a message.

Iddfs
04-06-10, 06:00
I will be in CR from May 15 - 23. I will be in San Jose for the weekends and probably a few days at the Arenal volcano.

I was there last september with some cousins, but it is a solo trip this time.

I will likely stay at the Presidente while in San Jose.

Aznmike
04-14-10, 06:10
I will be in San Jose on April 29 for the second time. Anyone going about that time wanna pair up or get in a group? -22M/I know a little Spanish

Aznmike
04-14-10, 06:23
Sorry for got to mention I will be staying at Hotel La Amistad if any of you are staying at sportsmen's lodge, its literally about 100 yards away.

Hot Don
04-15-10, 04:10
Mexicana Airlines has slashed fares from its major US gateways to San José, Costa Rica. This is not an advertised sale and could disappear at any moment.

Fares from Chicago are as low as us$246 round-trip including taxes, and seats can be found for year round travel.

Fares from other cities appear to be available only for April or May travel and range from us$249 (from Los Angeles) to us$288 (from New York JFK). Fares from Washington are us$286, all including taxes. However, fares for travel during other months aren't much higher. For example, Airfarewatchdog researchers found seats from New York to San Jose for as little as us$314 round-trip for October travel.I got a ticket for frontier for 390 round trip from LA which is not bad at all...Flying on 27th and back on 1st

Dlhead01
04-17-10, 04:30
My buddy and I will be arriving in CR on May 20. we want to catch a bus from the airport to Jaco. Does anyone have info on buses other than interbus and grayline.

Bunda Man
04-19-10, 05:41
Staying at the Sportsmans again. Anyone else going to be around?

Dan D Dick
04-19-10, 22:17
I will be in San Jose on April 29 for the second time. Anyone going about that time wanna pair up or get in a group? -22M/I know a little Spanish

1st - pay your dues so you can receive PMs.

I'll be arriving on 4/29 as well, departing on May 7th. My little novia & I usually visit the Amistad & Asta most of the nights I'm in town, so I expect to be there for dinner and/or drinks in the 7-9 PM range on the 29th as well.

Ask Asta if Dale (pronounced Da-LAY' in spanish) Y Grettel are there yet & introduce yourself to us. Most of the locals know us as I'm usually in town once a month or so for 4 - 8 nights at a time.

/dddick

Aznmike
04-20-10, 06:26
1st - pay your dues so you can receive PMs.

I'll be arriving on 4/29 as well, departing on May 7th. My little novia & I usually visit the Amistad & Asta most of the nights I'm in town, so I expect to be there for dinner and/or drinks in the 7-9 PM range on the 29th as well.

Ask Asta if Dale (pronounced Da-LAY' in spanish) Y Grettel are there yet & introduce yourself to us. Most of the locals know us as I'm usually in town once a month or so for 4 - 8 nights at a time.

/dddickAlright, I will ask for you then, and now I gotta go pay some dues apparently

Stevewxly
04-20-10, 21:28
My buddy and I will be arriving in CR on May 20. we want to catch a bus from the airport to Jaco. Does anyone have info on buses other than interbus and grayline.

Dlhead01

Getting to Jaco from the airport in San Jose will be tricky.....if you can do it at all.

The airport is North of San Jose.....and the Jaco bus has to go North from San Jose to get to Jaco. It goes thru the town of Alajuela.....so maybe you can get a taxi driver to take you to Alajuela (about 5-6 miles from the airport for a reasonable fee....not more than $ 5.00 - I should think) then tell the driver that you want to be dropped off on the -nearest to town - bus stop for the Jaco bus. The Jaco bus will come by in a bit, and will stop for you to board if you are standing at the little bus stop along the road.

The regular bus from San Jose toJjaco Beach

The bus for Jaco Beach leaves 4-5 times a day or more but usually one can only get on the bus from the Coca Cola bus terminal - which is downtown...... It will prove difficult to get onto this bus very close to the airport.......

Plan A

You might talk to a taxi driver who is parked at the airport and see if he can take you from the airport over to the highway that the Jaco bus uses...then he can drop you at a roadside bus stand and you can get onto the next Jaco bus that goes by. ((( And do not under any circumstances pay more than $ 3.00 to 4.00 for him doing this......otherwise he will take you half way to Jaco and want a fare of perhaps $ 35.00.....but don't do that.

The taxi driver will naturally want to take you all the way from San Jose to Jaco Beach for about $ 80-90.00....but just tell him that is not possible since you only have say like $ 25.00 in your pocket - until you can go to the bank in Jaco to get some more money.....that should put the damper on him wanting to carry you all the way to Jaco for a big fare.

Plan B

Walk down the hill (about 50 yards from the airport entrance) to the street, and the Alajuela bus stops there (right in front of the airport----about every 15-20 minutes) ....there is a turn around there and they all stop there).....then tell the bus driver that you want to get to Jaco Beach......he will be going to the town of Alajuela ....but the highway that the Jaco beach bus uses should be very close to Alajuela - and you should be able to get to one of those small bus stops to wait for the Jaco bus....and I am going to say that there will be a bus going to Jaco coming along about every couple of hours....you might have to go into a bar and have a beer or two to cool your heels while you are waiting for the Jaco bus to come along.

Plan C

If you are not already throughly confused....I know I am....then there is a brand new highway that now runs between San Jose and Jaco...so perhaps the Jaco bus will take the new highway to Jaco....so ask at the airport....so you don't screw up and wait at the wrong location for the Jaco bus......otherwise you will need to get from the airport to downtown ----Coca Cola bus terminal----to get the Jaco bus.....and by taxi that cost you about $ 20 + dollars, and take about 30 mins or so depending on how heavy the traffic is at the time.

Plan D

Why not call Greyline or Interbus ((( and you should be able to do this online too )) and see if they will pick you up at the airport and then take you (on their reg. scheduled trip to Jaco)....only about $ 25.00 and way more comfortable t& safe than the regular bus to Jaco from San Jose.

Taking Greyline or Interbus from the airport or from one of the very close hotels next to the airport....would run you just about the same as you would pay going by taxi from the airport to downtown to cacth the Jaco bus at Coca Cola then paying the $ 4.00 or so (fare) on the reg. bus and going then to Jaco on the reg. bus....plus you would save yourself perhaps a couple - 2-3 hours of time if you did just take Greyline or Interbus. (((( Been there - done this - many times - and the Greyline or Interbus shuttles work best for me ))). Steve

Dlhead01
04-24-10, 21:01
Thank Steve,

We have decided to take the bus from the airport to downtown terminal, then junp on the bus to Jaco. I think this will be our best bet.

Thanks again for your recommendations.

Dlhead01

Dan The Man69
04-30-10, 05:03
Does anyone know how to get the lowest rate at the Morazan Hotel? I just received a quote back for one single room at $80 per night.

I know from the forums that it is usually only $41 per night. My wingman and I stayed there last Nov for $71 for a double.

Any suggestions? And BTW, the quote said they had only one room left! I find this hard to believe. Should I just show up and hope for the best, or make the reservation now? Any suggestions? I plan to arrive 26 May till 30 May.

Dan the Man69

Artisttyp
04-30-10, 07:01
Does anyone know how to get the lowest rate at the Morazan Hotel? I just received a quote back for one single room at $80 per night.

I know from the forums that it is usually only $41 per night. My wingman and I stayed there last Nov for $71 for a double.

Any suggestions? And BTW, the quote said they had only one room left! I find this hard to believe. Should I just show up and hope for the best, or make the reservation now? Any suggestions? I plan to arrive 26 May till 30 May.

Dan the Man69

Make reservations if you want to stay someplace specific. Lodging will be the most important aspect of your trip.

Dan The Man69
04-30-10, 08:26
Make reservations if you want to stay someplace specific. Lodging will be the most important aspect of your trip.Not really looking for anything specific, just the most bang for my buck.

Are reservations even necessary? I have had good luck (sometimes) just showing up and taking chances. (Korea, PI)

This will be my second trip to SJO, so I only have my November experience of staying at the Morazan to go on. Took taxi trips to the Pirate Club for all our action. Wanted to try other options, but felt relatively comfortable at the Morazon. Also hoping to meet up with "Archie" who was the best guide ever by taking us under his wing to show us around gringo gulch.

But if reservations are really necessary, would appreciate any recommendations. I'll be solo this time, as my wingman got busted after his better half found his passport after the last trip!

Stevewxly
04-30-10, 11:20

Dan the Man69

Hey Dan,

If the Morizon has gone up to $ 80.00 a night.....they must be hoping they will get the overflow Del Rey Hotel business...hoping it is full and they will get the leftover guests who just have to stay right in the middle of the gulch.

For that kind of money or less....you can stay at the Sportsman's Lodge... or the La Amastid Hotel, or the Castillo Hotel....all cheaper and all better accomdations. Taxis are cheap in San Jose - so it does not matter much where you stay.....except you don't want to be "hosed" by some hotel like the Morazon at $ 80.00 a room...that is stupid.

Want to be a "stupid gringo" then stay there and pay that rate !!!!!!

You might check into staying at the Royal Dutch Casino and Hotel on 2nd Ave......about 10-12 blocks from the Morazon or Del Rey...about $ 2.50 by taxi...and the last time there I got a special cash rate of $ 40.00 per night.

Nice rooms....better than the Morazon, and certainly a better price.

Get a reservation for your 1st night there...then arrive.....then see the night manager....he should be able to give you the $ 40.00 a night - cash price.....otherwise their published rates are about $ 50.00 per night.

Check on the Castillo or La Amistad Hotel....better places and somewhat cheaper than the $ 80.00 you were recently quoted at the Morazon.

I have not stayed there....but I have heard good things about the Freebird Hotel in San Jose....good rates, and a good place to stay...you might check it out.

I would get a reservation for at least the first night at any hotel in San Jose...then you can look around for a real good place and a good rate your second day...then lock it in for the rest of your stay.

Pura Vida - Steve

Jay Balanty
06-08-10, 21:27
Going to be in San Jose this weekend 6/12-13. Staying in Del Ray.

Anyone going to be around?

Bunda Man
06-11-10, 03:46
Will be back in the Gulch July 3-7. Flight prices to Medellin were ridiculous so will most likely save that trip for Labor Day Weekend. Anyone else going to be around?

Bkgee
07-04-10, 03:53
I will be down in SJO with a few friends Sept 2-9.

Bunda Man
08-01-10, 04:14
I will be in town Sept. 2-6 at the SL.

Bkgee
08-01-10, 16:34
I will be in town Sept. 2-6 at the SL.I will also be down there during that time Sept 2-9, and this my first trip to SJO.

Da Monger
08-04-10, 06:58
I will be at Dunn Inn. A newbie and I would appreciate any help.

Sting229
08-04-10, 14:59
Will be at Sportsman during these days.

I been to Philippines and Brazil, but first time in San Jose, any help appreciated.

Sting

Bunda Man
08-08-10, 01:57
I will be at Dunn Inn. A newbie and I would appreciate any help.Da Monger, could not send you a private message. We should definitely meet up for a drink at the Sportsmans, Del Rey, Dunn Inn or etc. I extended the same invitation to Bkgee.

Weasal
08-10-10, 19:17
I am in San Jose now, and will be offering a tour to anybody that would like help.

Bunda Man
08-17-10, 18:46
I will be in SJ Sept. 2-6. Staying at the Sportsmans.

Will be back in San Jose from coast 9/2.

Anyone going to be in SJ during Labor Day weekend?

GauntMan
08-18-10, 05:26
Planning a trip Sept 24 till 25th, advice needed on lodging near Costado Sur de bomba La Primavera, barrio La California, max $50 a night or less without losing too much quality

Thanks

Iddfs
08-24-10, 03:55
I will be in CR, Oct 26 - 31. Will stay at Presidente in SJ, but will go to the Manuel Antonio or Arenal for a couple of days.

GauntMan
09-14-10, 03:02
Planning a trip Sept 24 till 25th, advice needed on lodging near Costado Sur de bomba La Primavera, barrio La California, max $50 a night or less without losing too much quality

Thanks
Confirmed arrival at SJO on the 24th, not sure if leaving next day or the 27th, staying probably at la amistad, anyone in the area pm me

Rent One
09-29-10, 20:29
Will be at Del Ray Oct 5th thru 9th with a buddy that I travel with. Love to meet felllow mongers. We are going on to Jaco and Manuel Antonio. Second trip to DR. We have been to DR, Thailand, Argentina and China.Like to share stories.

Thetraveler
10-03-10, 20:14
I'm going to be at the DR from Oct 6-10. I would hook up with you guys. I've been to CR about 10 times over the years.

Will be at Del Ray Oct 5th thru 9th with a buddy that I travel with. Love to meet felllow mongers. We are going on to Jaco and Manuel Antonio. Second trip to DR. We have been to DR, Thailand, Argentina and China.Like to share stories.

FunLovingOne
10-04-10, 22:24
Will be in Jaco for Halloween and a fishing trip. Looking for anyone who wants to share a boat and/or hook up on 10/31. Last time I was at the Beatle Bar for Halloween it was quite a trip.

Pura Vida

Lowdown75
10-23-10, 17:40
Will be going to San Jose on the 28th of October to the 31st.

If anybody is intersted in having a beer and checking out the action out there let me know.

I will be staying at HLH.

Iddfs
10-24-10, 02:40
I will be there from the 26th to the 31th of October.

I will be at the Presidente.

Kickshotms
10-24-10, 17:31
Be in Jaco Clarita's 10/31 & 11/1

Then on to SL for balance of week.

Douggie Hoser
11-03-10, 05:48
First time on the ground in SJO, 11/12 - 16

At eh Freebird.

See you there or be square.

Douggie

Member #3439
11-08-10, 05:12
First time in CR, but I'm experienced in Brasil, Indonesia, Japan and Mexico. PM if you want to meet up for sharing stories and hitting bars.

Nixonbd
11-13-10, 21:57
If anyone wants to share a cab to downtown. Staying at the Balmoral.

Ifnot
11-18-10, 05:20
As a frequent gringo to San Jose -- I know my way around "the game". Will be hanging out at Sportsmens over the weekend to watch the football, and then will drop in/out of BMarlin and Key Largo to check out the landscape. Anyone out there to meet up with ?

After several many visits, I do have a "regular" who can assist others with GFE's .... drop me an IM for assistance.

Safe travels all

Raja Trader
11-29-10, 19:52
I will be at the Hotel Dunn on the dates above.

Keep in touch if you read this post.

February1
11-30-10, 07:01
I will be at the Hotel Dunn on the dates above.

Keep in touch if you read this post.See you guys there. 12/2 - 12/7

Sorry Keeper, I'm arriving an hour before you, so no cab share. I can do some damage in an hour in SJO.

Memguy
12-01-10, 12:49
Flight arrives at 7.25pm.

I have read you can take a bus into the city.

Does it run at night?

Stevewxly
12-02-10, 17:43

Does it run at night?

Yes you can take the bus from the airport to San Jose. It is about a 10-12 mile trip and the fare is around $ 1.00 USD.
It should be running until about 10 PM. ( Most city buses close down after 11 PM)

You must walk down the hill ( about 150 yeards) from the airport entrance to catch the bus. They run about every 15-20 minutes. Make sure to ask the driver -
" San Jose "....if yes then get on the bus and go.

You have to pay attention when it comes into town as where to get off. Ask some of the other passengers.(someone will no doubt speak some English-if your Spanish is not good). When you see the big hosipital on your right...then ride about another 4-5 blocks and deboard the bus.....then depending upon where you want to go...you might think about getting a taxi....for example to the Del Rey Hotel is should be about a 5-6 block walk or a $ 2.00 taxi ride.

Good luck.......
A taxi from the airport to town will run you about $ 22-23.00 US....so the bus is way cheaper and nearly just as easy.

You could also get the Greyline or Interbus shuttle bus ( a large van type vehicle) for about $ 5-7.00 US...but you will need a prior reservation (online) for that trip into town from the airport.

Kitie Carson
12-02-10, 23:03

Does it run at night?Interbus now charges $12 US for airport transfers..Still alot cheaper than taxi and for me, always on time.

Memguy
12-04-10, 15:10
Interbus now charges $12 US for airport transfers..Still alot cheaper than taxi and for me, always on time.Thank you for the info.

Memguy
12-12-10, 21:35
Anyone else planning to be in town at this time shoot me a note.

Powermax1
12-20-10, 16:31
Anyone else planning to be in town at this time shoot me a note.Are there any places to stay? I just realized that I can take this short trip. Prices are great on Spiritair.

Stevewxly
12-21-10, 01:08
Are there any places to stay? I just realized that I can take this short trip. Prices are great on Spiritair.What is your budget for a hotel room? San Jose, CR or somewhere else. I will see if I can direct you to a few good hotels.

Steve

Powermax1
12-21-10, 18:45
What is your budget for a hotel room? San Jose, CR or somewhere else. I will see if I can direct you to a few good hotels.

SteveI am staying at a hostel. No need to bring them in my room. I will take care at location. Is that not customary here? It is in Colombia mps.

Zomby Woof
03-09-11, 05:44
First timer to CR will be traveling sometime in the first two weeks of April, most likely in and around Jaco Beach area. 37 years old and traveling solo, looking for a wingman or just somebody to have some beers with and enjoy the action. Also looking to do some surfing, see the sights. Will probably spend some time in SJ and maybe up in Guanacasta. Is anybody going to be in the area?

Rolleratnight
03-12-11, 22:59
Going on my 3rd trip to CR on 03/24-03/30. Trying to make reservations and plans now. Probably spend a few days in San Jose and a night or two in Jaco just for change of scenery. Any one need a wingman let me know. I don't drink so I can be the designated sober guy LOL.

Franky77
03-14-11, 10:32
Going on my 3rd trip to CR on 03/24-03/30. Trying to make reservations and plans now. Probably spend a few days in San Jose and a night or two in Jaco just for change of scenery. Any one need a wingman let me know. I don't drink so I can be the designated sober guy LOL.I'm going to be in CR 19th mar to 28th. Maybe we can meet up.

Rolleratnight
03-19-11, 02:50
I'm going to be in CR 19th mar to 28th. Maybe we can meet up.Sure, I am staying at SL, going to Jaco on Saturday, coming back on Sunday. Where are you staying?

Bunda Man
03-23-11, 22:41
This is close to Easter, but with things finally picking up with my business and friends being in town around the same time, I figured I'd give it a try. Getting out before Good Friday so hopefully it will be a good time. Staying at the SL. Was thinking of trying Dunn Inn to check out the new casino, but with the developments there of late decided against it. Anyone going to be around? Seems like it's going to be a ghost town in the gulch as far as mongers go. Bunda.

The Dirty Pirate
03-24-11, 16:56
This is close to Easter, but with things finally picking up with my business and friends being in town around the same time, I figured I'd give it a try. Getting out before Good Friday so hopefully it will be a good time. Staying at the SL. Was thinking of trying Dunn Inn to check out the new casino, but with the developments there of late decided against it. Anyone going to be around? Seems like it's going to be a ghost town in the gulch as far as mongers go. Bunda.Not just mongers but chicas as well. That is Semana Santa, the Holy Week. San Jose is a ghost town, everyone goes to the beach. I think a lot of the MPs even shut down for a couple days, there are no alcohol sales on the one weekend as well.

Bunda Man
03-25-11, 00:47
Not just mongers but chicas as well. That is Semana Santa, the Holy Week. San Jose is a ghost town, everyone goes to the beach. I think a lot of the MPs even shut down for a couple days, there are no alcohol sales on the one weekend as well.A good part of my trip is the week prior so hopefully I can avoid most of that. If not, the flight was free with my miles and the SL is under $500 for 7 nights with my CRT discount so I will save money for next trip. Will let everyone know how it goes. Bunda.

Bunda Man
06-19-11, 06:37
Booked at the Sportsmans for Sept. 1-6. Bunda.

Mr Jetsetter
06-23-11, 04:22
Will be in San Jose from July 1st till July 9th, staying once again at my favorite roost, the Freebird. Drop me a PM if you happen to be around.

JerseyDevil
07-01-11, 21:28
Going toJaco 7/12. 7/16 or 17.

Hi Gents,

First time here. Going on a solo mission to Jaco 7/11 to 7/17. Going to start in SJ (M) for one night then swing to the beach. Staying at the Copa. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, if anyone is planning on being there, let me know. I will be sure to add all of the gory details when I return!

Member #4203
07-05-11, 17:24
Heading to SJ 18th-21st 4th time but it has been 12 years since my last visit. Anyone need a wing man?

Bkgee
07-10-11, 19:13
I will be in SJO Sept 21-Oct1, anyone coming down during that time Holla!

Redfield10
07-12-11, 01:45
Hi,

I'll be in San Jose Sept. 8-13th and I'll be staying at the Sportsmens Lodge. Wingmen welcome! Send me a PM.

Sunnyboy
08-13-11, 13:19
Anyone around? Need a wingman.

Sfmintu
08-16-11, 07:02
In San Jose, staying at HDR. Any leads will be helpful for some entertainment.

Sf

Lusifer69
08-31-11, 08:39
First trip to Costa Rica. Anyone else in town at this time?

Iddfs
09-10-11, 05:35
I will be in CR from October 21th to October 30th with a couple of friends. Will be in San Jose on the weekends and Arenal during the weekdays. See you all at the Halloween party.

Lusifer69, I am sure there will be many of us during that weekend.

Sexmachine1
09-16-11, 05:27
Hi Guys.

I will be arriving at San Jose on the afternoon of 20 Sep. For a week. Will be staying at Hotel Morazan for at least 3 nights. Got a great deal from their website. $122 for 3 nights. All taxes & fees included.

First timer in San Jose but over 20 Latin American Mongering trips under my belt, mostly in Brazil.

My wingman couldn't accompany me so I am travelling alone.

Anybody looking for a wingman or just want to get together, share stories, hunting chicas or whatever? PM me.

SM1

Pipe Layer99
10-04-11, 23:48
I will be down in San Jose from 11. 19 Oct.

If anyone wants to meet for some hunting (women) , MP runs, or some drinks let me know. Should be a blast. 8 days of fun and sexy women.

Pipe

Dirtybear
10-14-11, 00:53
I'll be down in Costa in Nov 30 through Dec 9 looking for some fishing partners anyone intersted let me know would like to have somebody to do this.

UKJazzMan
10-16-11, 00:57
Hi, arriving on 1st Nov for 7 days, doing a bit of touring too but looking for a beer with like minded chaps.

Pm me if you are here

Mack Dad
10-26-11, 00:59
Heading down for the Halloween bash. Will be there from 28th to the 31th. Who else is going PM me.

GringoSlim
11-20-11, 05:46
I will be in San Jose 12/9/11 until 12/12/11. I get in Friday night for some mongering. Most likely at Del Ray. I have a free night at the Holiday Inn, but I'm guessing that I won't be able to get a chica through the door. I will probably try anyway. If someone can message me with any hotels close by that do hourly that would be great. Saturday morning I get picked up to go white water rafting for two days. Then I will spend Sunday night at The President. From what I read, I can get a chica in for $25. 00 if she is reasonably dressed. It is a free room I get with credit card points. If I have to pay for a room for hooking up, its not the end of the world. The $25 fee won't really bother me as the room is free. My points wouldn't work at any of the hotels where someone said there is no chica fee.

RedMercury
12-03-11, 15:23
This will be my first trip to central America. For 5 nights, pm me, if you'd like catch up for a beer and then go hunting!

Red!

Chris Long
12-04-11, 05:51
I'm traveling to the SJ Jan 12 through the 16 I was thinking of staying at the HLH as the SL is booked that weekend. Does any one want to meet up and show this newbe around. Will the HLH allow me to bring back girls from the HDR or will I have to pay an additional fee even though I have a room there. Also should I exchange dollars for local currency before I go or can I pay for everything in Dollars or just take dollars with me and take the rest out of ATM once I get there or simply wait and exchange all of my dollars there. Where is a low cost place to eat as I would like to save my money for fucking so I don't want to spend alot on food or other things, how much should I budget for a weekend in SJ.

Thanks in Advance

Chris

Azn Slayer
12-09-11, 11:31
Hey folks,

I'll be in San Jose from Dec 24 to 31 for my first time visit. Would anyone like to meet up and go mongering. First round of beers is on me. I'm laid back, safe, and easy to get along with. I plan to do the regular tourist stuff during the day, and partake in the adult vices at night.

Most of my prior travels have been to Asia and Europe, but this will be my first visit to Central America. I'm in my mid 30's, and coming from the States.

Thanks!

Bunda Man
12-23-11, 03:57
Anyone looking to do San Jose in March? My specific dates are flexible, except that I would like to go at least 2 weeks prior to Easter (which is April 8 in 2012) as well as Holy Thursday and Good Friday and stay for 5-7 days. Bunda.

RockHound74
01-02-12, 13:39
Heading to San Jose Jan 22-27 2012. First trip to CR ever so will be a newbie. Not sure where I will stay but it will probably be the DR since it seems to be a good place to stick your toe in the water. It has been a few years since I have left the states for my hobby but it was time.

PM me if you will be around and would like to have a drink.

Stay Safe!

Bunda Man
01-03-12, 01:48
Change of plans. I'm going for the Super Bowl, Feb. 1-6. Staying at Amistad. Flight price was as usual on the Continental direct out of Newark, but rooms are hard to come by. Sportsman's is sold out Feb. 1-10 and Amistad only had one Queen room available and only for the 1-2. A CRT member has an extra room he is going to let me use since the person going down with him had a change of plans. The Sportsman's/CRT Superbowl party is also sold out (all 200 tickets), but again found a CRT member who is willing to part with an extra ticket he was going to use in case he decided to bring a chica. Anyone else going to be in town for the Superbowl? Bunda.

Anyone looking to do San Jose in March? My specific dates are flexible, except that I would like to go at least 2 weeks prior to Easter (which is April 8 in 2012) as well as Holy Thursday and Good Friday and stay for 5-7 days. Bunda.

RockHound74
01-07-12, 17:35
Was going to try 22-27 but was having trouble getting the hall pass for Sunday. .

So arriving at Hotel Little Havana Jan 23. 27. Looking forward to meeting Boyd and heading to the Sportsman for Happy hour. SL was sold out and HLH had standard rooms.

Heading to San Jose Jan 22-27 2012. First trip to CR ever so will be a newbie. Not sure where I will stay but it will probably be the DR since it seems to be a good place to stick your toe in the water. It has been a few years since I have left the states for my hobby but it was time.

PM me if you will be around and would like to have a drink.

Stay Safe!

Mitchcr
01-09-12, 23:26
Anyone looking to do San Jose in March? My specific dates are flexible, except that I would like to go at least 2 weeks prior to Easter (which is April 8 in 2012) as well as Holy Thursday and Good Friday and stay for 5-7 days. Bunda.I will be there with a friend between Feb 29. March 4, staying at La Amistad. Have been there twice before, though not as experienced. I have been reading your posts and would enjoy your company and advise. 40 and 42 yrs old males from the US.

Bunda Man
01-11-12, 19:08
Sorry, I had a change of plans (see post 457 below). I'll be there Feb. 1-6 for Superbowl Weekend. Sorry I will miss you. Hope to meet you on a future trip. Bunda.

I will be there with a friend between Feb 29. March 4, staying at La Amistad. Have been there twice before, though not as experienced. I have been reading your posts and would enjoy your company and advise. 40 and 42 yrs old males from the US.

Mr Jetsetter
01-13-12, 07:07
Feel free to drop me a PM if you're in town during this period. Bunda Man, dinner is on me on the evening of the 1st if your schedule permits. Met you briefly once before and had plans to hook up with you again at the DR before the swine flu wiped out the last half of my trip. Staying at the Freebird the first few days before moving to HLH for three nights. Never stayed there before. Thought I'd give it a go. Will actually be back from the Osa for one night on the 5th for the Super Bowl festivities but don't have a room yet. Wish me luck!

Bunda Man
01-24-12, 02:32
Jetsetter:

Sent you a PM last week regarding meeting up. Bunda.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you're in town during this period. Bunda Man, dinner is on me on the evening of the 1st if your schedule permits. Met you briefly once before and had plans to hook up with you again at the DR before the swine flu wiped out the last half of my trip. Staying at the Freebird the first few days before moving to HLH for three nights. Never stayed there before. Thought I'd give it a go. Will actually be back from the Osa for one night on the 5th for the Super Bowl festivities but don't have a room yet. Wish me luck!

AvidTraveler
04-02-12, 14:04
I'll be going April 27. May 1, 2012. Staying at the HLH. If anyone wants to hang out, let me know.

Aviation88
04-23-12, 02:39
Hey everybody, I'm going to San Jose tomorrow, I'll be at the SP my first few days, ad I'll keep ya posted on this trip.

Dirtdog
04-26-12, 04:40
I am planning on driving from the yucatan in Mexico to Costa rica, anybody want to ride along or are along the way for a stopover? I am planning on leaving next week.

Alan
05-02-12, 03:46
In San Jose from May 7th. 18th. Message me.

Kober
05-09-12, 07:32
Will be in CR 5/24-28. Staying at Dunn.

Bunda Man
05-28-12, 19:48
I'll be in Town July 18-25 at Amistad.

PirateGM
06-13-12, 06:40
If you love Tequila and Girls, then Enjoy!

Like us! On facebook.

JoeNasty1976
06-19-12, 04:28
I'll be in town from July 12th. 16th at the Sportsman. I'll try to post some reports while I'm there. PM me.

Mike3267
06-26-12, 15:37
I'll be in Town July 18-25 at Amistad.Hotel del rey 7-16-7-21

Ac Danny
06-29-12, 14:25
Will be in San Jose 6/30-7/3, staying at Del Ray if anyone wants to have a drink and trade mongering tales, give me a P. M.

Bunda Man
07-02-12, 00:04
Hotel del rey 7-16-7-21Hope to meet up. I will most likely be wearing a Yankees cap and hanging at the SL during the afternoon and early evening. Bunda.

Sexmachine1
08-05-12, 04:06
Hi Guys.

I will be travelling with my wingman and staying at Morazan Hotel from 14. 21 August. From Toronto, in Mid 30s and 3rd time in CR. Let me know if anybody wants to get together.

SM1

HectorSanchez
08-05-12, 04:58
I will be there from Aug 20 t0 26. I will be staying at HLH. Any reason why you choose Morazan? Beer and your company would be great.

Hi Guys.

I will be travelling with my wingman and staying at Morazan Hotel from 14. 21 August. From Toronto, in Mid 30s and 3rd time in CR. Let me know if anybody wants to get together.

SM1

Dirtdog
08-06-12, 00:40
I will be staying at either HLH or Castillo, and wandering between SL to HLH to the REY and Papis where the first Tequila shot is on me!

Streetlooker
08-06-12, 05:54
I will be there from Aug 20 t0 26. I will be staying at HLH. Any reason why you choose Morazan? Beer and your company would be great.Going on my maiden voyage to SJ aug 27 sept 1. I picked Morazan not knowing a thing about what I will get because of location to what I believe is where I want to be hanging out DEL RAY. And its girl friendly has far has I know. I just hope the shower has hot water (At least warm) and the bed mattress is not to filthy. Anyone want to put a review in the hotel reviews section about this hotel I would be thankful

Mr Jetsetter
08-06-12, 07:27
Going on my maiden voyage to SJ aug 27 sept 1. I picked Morazan not knowing a thing about what I will get because of location to what I believe is where I want to be hanging out DEL RAY. And its girl friendly has far has I know. I just hope the shower has hot water (At least warm) and the bed mattress is not to filthy. Anyone want to put a review in the hotel reviews section about this hotel I would be thankfulGo to the San Jose Hotel Recommendations thread and use the "search thread" function to find info on the Morazan. I came up with three pages worth of reports on this hotel.

BTW, I have never stayed there.

Sexmachine1
08-06-12, 14:37
I will be there from Aug 20 t0 26. I will be staying at HLH. Any reason why you choose Morazan? Beer and your company would be great.We stayed there on our last trip as well. We like its proximity to Del Rey. Also, breakfast is good. Chica Friendly. In room safes. They keep chica IDs and confirm with you before they give it back to them. Rooms could be better but if you don't like a particular room, they will change it for you. Hotel seldom fills up so other rooms are available. Hotel is filled with other mongers. Last time we got a great deal at $ 37 a night but now, it will be $47. Can't get the manager Pablo to come down on price. Oh well, still worth it.

We can meet you at HLH for the Happy hour around 5PM on the 20th since it will be our last day. We are leaving on the morning of 21st.

SM1

Sexmachine1
08-06-12, 14:40
I will be staying at either HLH or Castillo, and wandering between SL to HLH to the REY and Papis where the first Tequila shot is on me!Exactly the route we're planning on taking. SL to HLH to DR and some MPs along the way. We can meet you at Papis on the 18th. What time do you get in and when do you want to meet? PM me.

SM1

Streetlooker
08-06-12, 17:50
Go to the San Jose Hotel Recommendations thread and use the "search thread" function to find info on the Morazan. I came up with three pages worth of reports on this hotel.

BTW, I have never stayed there.Thank you however I did do that and all info is from 2005 to 2008 mostly just thought I would need a update more recent. Lots can change in 4 yrs

MadisonGuy
08-07-12, 01:56
I'll be in San Jose the 24th to the 26th. It's been awhile and I'm looking forward to mongering in my old stomping ground. Definitely my shortest trip so it'll be interesting, hoping to bag a GF to make future trips cheaper and more interesting. Ha ha

HectorSanchez
08-19-12, 03:56
Outbound Sanjose 19 to 26.

Target Fresh young latin chicas.

Experience A little but deficient in spanish. LOL.

Reason to post here. Fellow mongers needed for amplifying fun and adventure. Please hit me up.

GRACIAS.

Revolt
09-12-12, 08:48
Outbound Sanjose 19 to 26.

Target Fresh young latin chicas.

Experience A little but deficient in spanish. LOL.

Reason to post here. Fellow mongers needed for amplifying fun and adventure. Please hit me up.

GRACIAS.Heading down there in a couple of weeks. PMed me if you want to meetup.

LatinaLover#1
09-15-12, 16:23
Just got an email alert ewr-sjo direct $283 Wednesday, Thursday departures most of October

HectorSanchez
09-16-12, 01:15
Let me know if anybody is in SJO during this time and we can meet up for a beer.

Thanks

World Travel 69
09-16-12, 06:27
http://www.argentinaprivate.com/forum/showthread.php?6937-2012-Elections-in-the-USA&p=426380&viewfull=1#post426380

Speak Up.

SJB43
09-16-12, 20:56
Let me know if anybody is in SJO during this time and we can meet up for a beer.

ThanksHey NSD,

I will be in San Jose staying at The Hotel Del Rey. Will be there late Friday 9/21 afternoon at 5pm. Want to meet up for a few beers then?

Regards,

Stephen

Bunda Man
09-17-12, 06:59
Rooms tough to come by around the Sportsmans and Del Rey parties (both being held on October 27) but I was able to squeeze in at the Freebird. Staying October 26-November 4.

Florida Sun
09-25-12, 06:55
i am corrupting my nephew on his first cr trip. i am more for the behind the closed door action and he is more into the party. i am hoping we will both find success, if you are around let's grape a beer and exchange intel. also if you have made the trip recently let me know who / what is hot.

Love Handler
09-27-12, 22:39
I'm going to be staying in San Jose from 23rd to 26th October at the Morazan, looking to hook up with a wingman.

I haven't been to Costa Rica before but speak really good Spanish so can help out any mongers with their language skills with the chicas.

If anybody is interested in showing me around or if you are a newbie also but need a drinking partner send me a PM and we can trade some stories.

Failing that I'm sure it will be a blast at the Del Rey whatever happens.

Counting the days.

Bunda Man
10-01-12, 19:08
I'm going to be staying in San Jose from 23rd to 26th October at the Morazan, looking to hook up with a wingman.

I haven't been to Costa Rica before but speak really good Spanish so can help out any mongers with their language skills with the chicas.

If anybody is interested in showing me around or if you are a newbie also but need a drinking partner send me a PM and we can trade some stories.

Counting the days.LH:

You are leaving prior to the Del Rey and Sportsmans Halloween parties on the 27th. If you can, you should extend your trip at least one night, although rooms are hard to come by. I get in on the 26th. This is my first Hallowen in CR and from I have read and heard sounds like its going to be great. Bunda.

Carefree33
10-01-12, 19:12
Taking 1st trip to San Jose on Tue, Oct. 16-Tue. Oct. 23 if anyone is in town & would like to meet up for drinks & mongering activities. I'm going solo so it would be nice to get together with some like minded people.

Pm me if anyone interested.

Macmasher
10-03-12, 10:16
Been to San Jose maybe a half-dozen times over the last 10 years. Staying at Castillo.

Love Handler
10-03-12, 15:29
LH:

You are leaving prior to the Del Rey and Sportsmans Halloween parties on the 27th. If you can, you should extend your trip at least one night, although rooms are hard to come by. I get in on the 26th. This is my first Hallowen in CR and from I have read and heard sounds like its going to be great. Bunda.I know, I would love to be there for the Halloween party, but unfortunately I can't swing it due to other commitments. Still I expect that there will be plenty of girls already in town and perhaps Tuesday to Thursday shouldn't be too crowded so I won't be fighting with you guys to get the hottest chicas. It will be my first trip to Costa rica and I also have a trip panned to Sosua in November so its all good.

Love Handler
10-03-12, 15:30
Taking 1st trip to San Jose on Tue, Oct. 16-Tue. Oct. 23 if anyone is in town & would like to meet up for drinks & mongering activities. I'm going solo so it would be nice to get together with some like minded people.

Pm me if anyone interested.You need to have a membership to receive private messages, I note that you have not posted before, is this your first time or something?

Love Handler
10-03-12, 15:32

Counting the days.Now staying at the Sportsmans Lodge, legendary lodge!

Two Ravens
10-04-12, 20:56
Hey all,

Going to be in SJ from Nov 3-10th staying at the Dunn Inn. This is my first time in CR let's see how it compares to Sosua! Anyone wanting to get together send me a PM. I don't speak Spanish so don't look to me for any translating help LOL.

Bunda Man
10-07-12, 05:28
I know, I would love to be there for the Halloween party, but unfortunately I can't swing it due to other commitments. Still I expect that there will be plenty of girls already in town and perhaps Tuesday to Thursday shouldn't be too crowded so I won't be fighting with you guys to get the hottest chicas. It will be my first trip to Costa rica and I also have a trip panned to Sosua in November so its all good.Most definitely, always more than enough hotties around the Gulch most days, some days more than others, but always a great time. Lately there have been more hotties than on other days on Wed. And Thurs. At the Del Rey. I've been to Sosua and Puerto Plata (Blackbeards) a few times and always had a great time in those venues as well. Have a great trip and let us know how it goes. Bunda.

PapaMac
10-15-12, 00:44
Going to stay at Del Rey on Friday Oct 19th, I'll hitup Key Largo Friday night. Then Saturday at some point, head to Jaco, probably staying at Hotel Cocal for a few days. Then probably to Sportsmens for Monday night, leaving on Tuesday afternoon.

Really winging it this time, only paid in advance the rental car and first night at del rey.

I haven't been to Jaco before, and don't have any concrete plans, just in case it's not my flavor.

Seems as if Beetle bar is no more. Word from the girls is Cocal is the next best thing.

If our plans cross each other, lets grab a beer.

PM me

Mac

Da Monger
10-20-12, 04:34
Nov 8. 11 & Nov 30-Dec 2. Staying at HLH.

SjoCr
10-22-12, 03:47
Heading to CR for the first time on the 24th. Starting at the Amistad and no concrete plans beyond. Definitely looking to be there over Halloween. Would enjoy meeting up with others and share some of the fun with like minded mongers.

Love Handler
10-22-12, 16:31
Heading to CR for the first time on the 24th. Starting at the Amistad and no concrete plans beyond. Definitely looking to be there over Halloween. Would enjoy meeting up with others and share some of the fun with like minded mongers.Send me a PM, I will be at the Sportsmans Lodge

Bunda Man
10-23-12, 21:10
Heading to CR for the first time on the 24th. Starting at the Amistad and no concrete plans beyond. Definitely looking to be there over Halloween. Would enjoy meeting up with others and share some of the fun with like minded mongers.I'll be in Town Oct. 26 through Nov. 3. Will be wearing a footbal Giants or Yankees cap during the day and a zombie surgeon costume at the parties. Have fun.

Nixonbd
11-01-12, 00:34
Will be solo in SJO 11/22. 11/26, staying at the HDR. If anyone else is solo as well, hit me up if you don't want to drink and monger alone, LOL. I'm late 40s, been to SJO many times.

Grimez128
11-16-12, 02:45
Will be going to CR for the first time dec. 1-6. I plan on going to Jaco the first 2-3 days and San Jose the rest of the time. Have been researching and like all the info I found so far. Just need to find more cheaper venues as far as chicas. I guess Dominican republic spoiled me cause 20 bucks was good enough.

MikeNice2732
11-19-12, 18:15
I am coming in San Jose late on Thursday 12/6 and be there until 12/10. Would love to meet for a beer or even be nice to have a wingman to go to the strip clubs etc. Much safer with 2. Not my first trip. Have reservations at marriott as I stay for close to nothing but in allactuality I will probably stay on Thursday as I get in late, then off to Del Rey. Any other suggestions on hotel. I have only stayed at the rey. Hear HLH and SL is an option too. Any reason to go there instead of del rey? Hope to find some friends out there.

Kdog
11-24-12, 21:35
Hi, If anyone's going to be down there during my trip and is tired of mongering solo, send me a private message. I'm likely staying at the Radisson hotel and plan on visiting the usual night spots.

Joe Shmoe
12-08-12, 02:35
Fellas,

I'll be going to CR for the first time! Not sure where I'm going to stay yet but I'm excited to see what its all about. Let me know if you want to link up. I'm coming with a wing, he's a mongering first-timer. Should be interesting.

Love Seeker
12-19-12, 05:02
I know that this is not an ideal time to mongering in a prominently Catholic country but it is when I have vacation time. PM me if you would like to have an adult beverage at HLH or the Sportsman.

Bunda Man
01-18-13, 08:03
Back in town February 19 through the 25th. Working on my accomodations at the moment. Most likely staying at the Freebird again if I can get a suite. Anyone else around?

Groovedog57
01-26-13, 01:53
Let me buy you a drink if you are around.

Evil Kayak
01-27-13, 17:11
Looking to go to Costa Rica first time in life during sometimes in March 2013. Anyone?