PDA

View Full Version : Jakarta - Restaurants

Admin
05-10-06, 01:00
Thread Starter.

Quim Reaper
05-14-06, 17:19
Quaint little restaurant attached to an antique shop of some type. This place hasn't changed in the nearly 25 years since the first time I visited it - at least as of my last trip 18 months ago. I don't think even the prices have changed except to account for major devaluations. It is one of the few good restaurants I frequented in the old days that still exists in its original form.

I suppose the food could be described as simply prepared dutch-influenced western food. I usually have ordered a steak of some type and bitterballen appetizer (not sure what they are, but considering their name and appearance I hope they are vegetarian).

Inexpensive, good taste, good portions and I never got sick from a meal there - and that was saying something back when there were no western standard restaurant chains in Jakarta.

No air con, fans only, so you might want to go at an off time on a particularly muggy day - if it is busy there may not be enough fans to go around. Otherwise, it has a dark, pleasant atmosphere enhanced by an intermittent interesting environmental effect which I won't explain - if you visit there for an evening meal, you will know it when you experience it.

Location: Jalan Cikini IV Number 8A, Menteng area, roughly midway between Hotel Menteng I and II as the crow flies.

Open: Tue-Sun, noon-3p, 7p-11p

Lambasts
05-15-06, 04:10
This Chinese Restaurant, Jade Garden in PI, serves excellent xiao lung bao-chinese dumplings.

The prices a tad steep for JKT. Mostly patronised by ceweks2 of chinese origin in indo.

BuleDaddy
05-16-06, 03:42
This is a huge chain in Indonesia with Padang, Sumatra style food. These guys have it down pat. A smorgabord beyond belief and super clean, using strict Moslem dietary/cleanliness laws that are almost identical to Kosher. The guy there in Magga Besar remembers what I like a year later and slings all my favorites like fried fish, Tempeh, Chicken, and vegtables at me. He only charges you for what you eat. I have to lie down afterwards I am so stuffed. I like to take the girls there with their sisters and nephews and nieces. Very sweet people, are the Javanese.

The Fish Market near the airport is a treat on your way out. Get your jivin' Javanese driver to do the buying for you and don't even let the fishmongers see you are with him or the price might double. Get some lobster, prawns, big fish, and squid. I'll pack some cooked leftovers up and have it for dinner in Sunar later. They serve up utak utak which is rice boiled with fish heads or milkfish flattened into rice wads with pepper and onion, charcoal roasted in Banana Leaves and you dip them in peanut sauce. You eat that while they clean then grill the giant fish you just bought over their coconut husk embers they fired up for your party. They serve that with eggplant, tomato (sambals) and mannis leaves. You eat it with your left hand, but they have utensils. I think they frown on Beer or Booze there, but a nice, cold TeaBotel hits the spot. I always tell the driver to get something for he, his missus and the family for later becasue they really love the seafood but the big fish there is a delicacy to the average Jakartan. They serve coconut juice warm there but to watch the smiling guy with the shaved head chop up your coconut to get to the juice like a gurka killing for the queen makes it worth it.

Joel Goodsen
05-16-06, 12:48
.. bitterballen appetizer (not sure what they are, but considering their name and appearance I hope they are vegetarian).

Normally they're not vegetarian, ie. bite-size ball-shaped beef croquettes. But they come in all different tastes in Indonesia, sometimes chicken, as we found out. Dining out here is like a box of bitterballen, you never know what you're gonna get!

Quim Reaper
06-08-06, 00:47
I was trying, not so successfully, to be funny - in a mountain oyster kind of way. They are, I believe, made of dough at this particular establishment.

Normally they're not vegetarian, ie. bite-size ball-shaped beef croquettes. But they come in all different tastes in Indonesia, sometimes chicken, as we found out. Dining out here is like a box of bitterballen, you never know what you're gonna get!

Quim Reaper
06-08-06, 01:48
Jl. Raden Saleh No. 47 Menteng (021) 3150606

The Oasis has been a Jakarta institution since 1968. Expensive, but well worth it for the food and the ambiance. Good atmosphere for a romantic date, if you feel like springing for that much for your cewek du jour, but don't bring along her friends also unless you have a MAJOR expense account.

Also good solo or for the guys meal out - where else can you get a Rijsttafel served to you by a dozen virginal maidens? Well, okay, not virginal - this is Jakarta after all - but the effort to provide the old colonial presentation is definitely there.

Could not find an old receipt, but I seem to recall that the Rijsttafel was about Rp. 235,000 per person, when I last visited about 18 months ago. If someone has been there more recently, hopefully they can update this info.

Don't arrive before opening time, as I did once, or you will miss the gong show. Also, note the dress code - no jeans and no sneakers.

Quim Reaper
06-08-06, 03:11
Jalan Dr. Kusuma Atmaja No. 85, Menteng

Hazara is a terrific Indian restaurant serving Northern Indian Frontier food. This is my favorite Indian restaurant of anywhere in the world. I'm not sure what distinguishes Northern Indian Frontier food, as most of the menu items have familiar names, but unlike many Indian restaurants, here all of the menu items seem to taste quite distinct from each other. Presumably they are not re-using the exact same sauce or seasoning mixtures across multiple dishes.

The atmosphere and interior design is taken as seriously as the food itself is and the results are impressive, although perhaps not as dramatic as at the prior location next to the Arcadia Hotel. Open and airy at lunch time and private pools of light at supper. Shares space with their other worthy operations The Face Bar and Lan Na Thai Restaurant, as they also do in Bangkok and Shanghai and probably elsewhere by now.

Moderately expensive - probably too expensive for a pre-session first and last supper date. Besides, do you really want a BBBJ from someone who has been eating vindaloo?

Mat212
08-08-06, 16:19
I don't get to play much these days so I thought I would contribute by recommending some restaurants.

For excellent food and wine I like Riva in the Park Lane Hotel (Jl Casablanca). This is a french restaurant offering both traditional and modern styles of french cooking. The menu is refreshed each month and you can check the specials by visiting the Hotel's web site. It is expensive and particularly so if you are indulging in the good selection of wine.

Italian food is quite popular in Jakarta and there are plenty of choices. I like Scusa in the Intercontinental Midplaza Hotel. Good atmosphere and good food. They often have special promotions.

Also at the Intercontinental is a wine bar called Bacchus. This place is in a funny location on the lower ground floor of the hotel. It is a slightly gloomy shopping arcade leading to the car park. Anyway Bacchus is good value. The food is excellent and cheaper than Scusa and they serve many wines by the glass. Staff are relaxed and friendly. Try the Australian scallops if they are available.

Should you take a sweet young Indonesia lady to any of these places? No, they will not enjoy the food and you are throwing your money away. For her any of the nasi padang places you see everywhere would be fine and if you don't like spicy food try a noodle restaurant. Bakmi Gadjah Mada has quite a few branches around the city.

La Chef
11-09-06, 04:51
My first post.

I went for dinner last week with a girl I met at a nightclub, took her to Lanathai a very beautiful place behind the mandarin Hotel, it is not cheap, but you pay for the food and atmosphere. (Perfect to take a date)

Mainly expatriate hang out.

We thought it would be good to do exercise after dinner, so went to my apartment and worked on our muscles and mussels.

LANATHAI

Cuisine: Thai or Indian
Style: contemporary
Food: 7/10
Atmosphere: 8/10
Bar: Yes
Air conditioning: Yes
To bring a date: 8/10
To find a girl: 2/10 didn’t see anything, but I might be wrong
Comment: Would go there anytime to impress a girl

Girl

Sex: 7.5/10
Kissing: Yes and alot
BBBJ: 9/10
CIM: Yes
Anal: not sure
Breast: C cup soft but in shape
Price: Didn’t ask didn’t give
Type of sex: Like a slutty GF
comment: would love to see her again, but lost her number #@$%

Jaimito Cartero
02-08-07, 05:44
I went with JAD to this restaurant yesterday, and had a nice lunch. It's supposed to have the best hamburgers in Jakarta, per it's advertising.

It's a medium sized place in a strip center. Singapore owned, it has a decent fast food menu. Some seem inspired by the US In-N-Out Burger chain, IE "Double Double". Smallish burgers, but at a decent price. You get a double patty, double cheese burger with fries or onion rings for 25k plus 10% tax.

Their fries are good, but their onion rings are excellent. In fact, they may be the best I've eaten anywhere. Their chocolate shake is just like a chocolate soda. Not thick or anything. Thumbs down on this drink.

The burger was good, but their "Frisco" secret sauce is just a lame addition to your burger. Think Jack in the Box secret sauce. No thanks.

Otherwise, the burger was decent. They have real pork bacon here, which is a big thumbs up here. I'd still like to find a Fuddruckers type place for hamburgers here.

www.theburgerfactory.com

Jl Wijaya 1 No 73, Kebayoran Baru, Jakarta Selatan
021-727-98937

You can have them deliver to your hotel via the Pesan Delivery Service. www.pesandelivery.com

Smoothy
02-08-07, 06:05
I'd still like to find a Fuddruckers type place for hamburgers here.

There was a Fuddruckers in Jakarta at one time. It went out of business. There's really not a big burger market here.

I think the best burgers in Jakarta are at Tamani Cafe.

Mandiri
03-05-07, 07:46
Per my post in the Jakarta section, I'd like to recommend Koi restaurant and gallery. Has two branches, one is Blok M (the better one) and one in Kemang. Just do a google and you will find the details.

Great european food at great prices (30-40k for a starter; 70-90k for a main course.
Really worth it and very beautiful girls among the clients. Enjoy.

Possessed Seoul
03-06-07, 17:10
Anyone tried this Indonesian seafood place on Ampera? Its a personal favourite of mine, would highly recommend it.

Cooze Hound
03-06-07, 21:30
Per my post in the Jakarta section, I'd like to recommend Koi restaurant and gallery. Has two branches, one is Blok M (the better one) and one in Kemang. Also, Koi run the restaurant in Bugils bar, hop along for a good nosh on a Tuesday then stay on for ladies night.

Joel Goodsen
03-07-07, 11:10
Also, Koi run the restaurant in Bugils bar, hop along for a good nosh on a Tuesday then stay on for ladies night.
Yes it's popular with some expats.. It has a website - www.bugils.com, with a nice photo page. If you click it and scroll down - you see'll this great photo of this guy being cuddled by four chicks at the same time.. of all the photo's on this page, he's actually the only one who has his face blurred. .. wonder why.:)

Mandiri
03-07-07, 12:34
Also, Koi run the restaurant in Bugils bar, hop along for a good nosh on a Tuesday then stay on for ladies night.OK. Please tell us more about Bugils and opportunities to score there, best days to score and times. Been active on the JKT scene (including Senayan) for the last 12 months and never heard of the place.

Thanks in advance.

Menteng
03-08-07, 05:38
OK. Please tell us more about Bugils and opportunities to score there, best days to score and times. Been active on the JKT scene (including Senayan) for the last 12 months and never heard of the place.

Thanks in advance.

Just click on the link, given by Joel Goodsen.

Locco76
03-08-07, 10:42
Yes it's popular with some expats.. It has a website - www.bugils.com, with a nice photo page. If you click it and scroll down - you see'll this great photo of this guy being cuddled by four chicks at the same time.. of all the photo's on this page, he's actually the only one who has his face blurred. .. wonder why.:)Can anyone tell us little more about this place, facts for us special people ;)

Mandiri
03-08-07, 13:49
Just click on the link, given by Joel Goodsen.Menteng,

I did go there and it looks very good indeed. However nothing replaces first-hand experience vs web-site. So the question is when is this place in full swing and from what time etc. That'd be useful to understand from those who know the place. Thanks.

Cooze Hound
03-08-07, 21:29
Can anyone tell us little more about this place, facts for us special people ;)Bugils is not really a mongering joint. It is a welcome break to have a some drinks with some mates or meet some new ones then head out to Blok M or a club. Often it is possible to "pull" there but most girls are locals with good jobs etc so GFE. It can get quite wild on ladies nite when these girls can get tanked and want to snare a bule for the night or longer.

A lot of guys go straight from work, its a pub with very good grub. Also very handy if your wife or GF is in town as you can take them there and they can see you having a good time without squadrons of young beauties circling , he he.

Abbnat
03-08-07, 23:22
facts for us special people ;)6 foot by 6 foot shithole if u ask me.

Joel Goodsen
03-10-07, 12:01
6 foot by 6 foot shithole if u ask me.
:D Abbnat, it's better than a small toilet. Mate! I think there's good reason why it's being discussed in the restaurants and not the JKT thread. It's an ok bar just to go to for a couple of drinks or a small bite after work..

Prosal
03-10-07, 12:24
I've always liked Waroeng Pojok, on the third floor of Plaza Senayan, which is a simple yet very good indonesian restaurant designed as an old-fashioned warung, specialized in dishes from Central Java, and where very often groups of girls stop for some snacks and fresh fruits juices.

Highly recommanded.

Menteng
03-11-07, 06:17
I've always liked Waroeng Pojok, on the third floor of Plaza Senayan, which is a simple yet very good indonesian restaurant designed as an old-fashioned warung, specialized in dishes from Central Java, and where very often groups of girls stop for some snacks and fresh fruits juices.

Highly recommanded.

With prices that are completely rip-offs! If you want Indonesian food, visit either one of the counters in the foodcourt in a different part of the building. Even the Indonesian food in the basement of Sogo is cheaper and better!

I'm local, so I think I can tell.

Prosal
03-11-07, 10:08
With prices that are completely rip-offs. I'm local, so I think I can tell.

Waroeng Pojok has always been, and still is, a favorite among middle to upper class indonesians to chill down and eat excellent regional dishes after a shopping raid in Plaza Senayan. It's maybe a rip-off for you, but obviously the locals who constantly fill the place appreciate a lot both the food and the atmosphere. Last time I was there, I even met Retno, the - attractive - Suharto's granddaughter.

Another good and trendy meeting point for the upper class crowd in Plaza Senayan is the balinese-designed restaurant located on Sogo's fourth floor, at the extremity of the batiks department. Indonesian snacks are also succulents.

By the way, maybe it's my lack of english skills, but I didn't know that a sexpat could be called a "local".

Menteng
03-12-07, 05:27
Waroeng Pojok has always been, and still is, a favorite among middle to upper class indonesians ..........

Another good and trendy meeting point for the upper class crowd ..........

Well, seems like we do have different backgrounds! ;)

By the way, maybe it's my lack of english skills, but I didn't know that a sexpat could be called a "local".

Maybe it is my English that is not good enough, so please help me define.

Both parents were Indonesians. Myself, born and raised in Indonesia too, bro! My nick is the name of the area in Jakarta where I grew up. After I retired 7 years ago, I live 10 months of the year in Jakarta. So, I can't help considering myself a local :)

But, I'd love to see your definition of my status, though!

Mandiri
03-12-07, 13:25
Bugils is not really a mongering joint. It is a welcome break to have a some drinks with some mates or meet some new ones then head out to Blok M or a club. Often it is possible to "pull" there but most girls are locals with good jobs etc so GFE. It can get quite wild on ladies nite when these girls can get tanked and want to snare a bule for the night or longer.

A lot of guys go straight from work, its a pub with very good grub. Also very handy if your wife or GF is in town as you can take them there and they can see you having a good time without squadrons of young beauties circling , he he.Thanks Cooze Hound, appreciate the feedback and pointers. Will also report back after I've been to the place.

Cheers

Mandiri
05-28-07, 16:06
For those of you wanting to take a girl out on a date and impress upon her about her own food and culture, I recommend the above restaurant located at:

Jl. Teuku Cik Di Tiro 4 Menteng

Just do a google search and you will find it.

This place offers Imperial Indonesian cuisine in a very traditional decor. Superbe. I took a prospect there and it was a total hit. I paid 440k for a lunch on a weekend for us two. Great value for money, great service, great food and very interesting decor.

Note: I have no interest in recommending this place, I simply had a great moment there and scored my prospect after this memorable date lunch.

Enjoy!

Mandiri
05-28-07, 16:14
Now if you really want to impress your (high-end) prospect (I guess this is for Bulai69), go to this French restaurant -- classy place with top class service and food. I went there, had a lunch for 2 on a Sunday. Bill was 800k (no wine). High-end stuff for high-end dates. Enjoy !

Bulai69
05-29-07, 17:12
I will try this place next time - chargeable to client of course....

FreeStyler69
07-13-07, 03:32
The Fish Market near the airport is a treat on your way out. Get your jivin' Javanese driver to do the buying for you and don't even let the fishmongers see you are with him or the price might double. Get some lobster, prawns, big fish, and squid. I'll pack some cooked leftovers up and have it for dinner in Sunar later. .Could you please give more details on how to get there. I'm very keen on this place. If I just say "Pasar Ikan" would the know where?

Joel Goodsen
08-12-07, 13:09
Enjoyed a trip to the historical part of Jkt, or what's left of it, in the kota last week. Getting there was easy, but the traffic on the way back.. it took long, hayam wuruk was quite congested.

Still the trip was very nice, thought I share it here. It's great to visit, there aren't too many places to visit in Jkt during the daytime, but also during night time/evening hours, there is this colonial style restaurant -cafe batavia- that's open 24 hours.

The cafe seems a popular night spot and has life music. It has a great menu too, which you can flick thru on it's website: http://www.cafebatavia.com/ (click 'Wine & Dine'). Prices are very reasonable, but expect the caviar with vodka shots to be around 1,9 million rupiah (of course).

Please find attached some photo's.
1. Cafe Batavia
2. It's unique picture collection
3. Joan Collins on the menu (menu is on the backside)
4. The old town hall turned history museum.
5. Hermes

Menteng
08-13-07, 18:42
Could you please give more details on how to get there. I'm very keen on this place. If I just say "Pasar Ikan" would the know where?

Actually there are two main spots for seafood near the airport. One is the pasar ikan at Muara Karang and the other one is at Dadap. Dadap has nice restaurants above the sea. Well actually it is the mouth of the river. Going to the airport on the jalan tol, you will see the signs after you make the last big turn to the left.

William444
11-10-08, 18:40
Was in Jakarta last week. Long time girlfriend decided to treat me to a meal (makes a nice change! ). Ended up at a place called Pondoc Laguna (not sure of district) but what a fantastic place. Food (sea food) excellent and great atmosphere. Was very busy so ended up upstairs (felt a bit like school canteen with long tables).

Downstairs has more character and would've been better. Service was great. Highly Recommended

Oyenk
11-11-08, 11:55
Try this area....many restaurant out here and also theather.

I have tried Brasillian restaurant in 2nd floor, for only 65,000 rupiahs (buffet)...some famous cafe also are in this area.
This building has some floors and every floor has many places to eat.

cheers...

Possessed Seoul
11-11-08, 19:13

I have tried Brasillian restaurant in 2nd floor, for only 65,000 rupiahs (buffet)...some famous cafe also are in this area.

cheers...

Give the burger place and the upstairs Chinese places a miss, utter shite with the typical staff that cannot or will not give a fuck about service. The Malay place on the bottom floor is almost as horrid. I expected great things from this place, but to no avail.

Mighty Spearsman
11-12-08, 05:22

cheers...
The building with lots of restaurants, a Starbucks, and a cinema is actually Setiabudi I, not II. The II building is primarily offices and shops, not restaurants.

The "famous cafe" that Oyenk is referring to is probably the Amadeus Cafe, decent food (primarily European). I've eaten here several times, both the Wiener Schnitzel and the Beef Teriyaki are good.

Most of the other restaurants in this building are nothing special, although they always seem to have lots of customers.

Cooze Hound
11-12-08, 09:00
The "famous cafe" that Oyenk is referring to is probably the Amadeus Cafe, decent food (primarily European). I've eaten here several times, both the Wiener Schnitzel and the Beef Teriyaki are good.

The same Amadeus as in CITOS, Cilandak. An expat favorite for sure.

Oyenk
11-13-08, 15:26
The building with lots of restaurants, a Starbucks, and a cinema is actually Setiabudi I, not II. The II building is primarily offices and shops, not restaurants.

Most of the other restaurants in this building are nothing special, although they always seem to have lots of customers.
Thank you for correcting, men make mistakes sometimes...lol

Oyenk
11-13-08, 15:29
The same Amadeus as in CITOS, Cilandak. An expat favorite for sure.
Citos, yes great site to go.

There is a cafe with bilyard poll, I forgot the name. I love it.

Oyenk
11-13-08, 15:37
Give the burger place and the upstairs Chinese places a miss, utter shite with the typical staff that cannot or will not give a fuck about service. The Malay place on the bottom floor is almost as horrid. I expected great things from this place, but to no avail.
- Burger places ? just open yellow pages.

- Chinese place ? I recommend Restaurant Bakmi Gajah Mada 77 (middle up class), located in Jl. Gajahmada...

Or try Sand restaurant in Ancol - North jkt for high class chinese resto, they also have spa.

Possessed Seoul
11-14-08, 02:29
- Burger places ? just open yellow pages.

- Chinese place ? I recommend Restaurant Bakmi Gajah Mada 77 (middle up class), located in Jl. Gajahmada...

Or try Sand restaurant in Ancol - North jkt for high class chinese resto, they also have spa.

The place at SB 1 tries to place itself above the usual fast food type burger joints. Was not impressed by the slow service there or the attitude of the staff. Then again, had a very similar experience at Izzi, just up the road, which led to me walking out. Never again. The copycat place in Grand Indonesia is ten times better for cheap, simple Italian. Chinese, bakmi? You are not talking about the ubiquitous mie ayam-tyoe joints that litter the town are you? Once a fortnight is about enough for me. Still looking for a place that can match the now-defunct Wangkee in Kemang. As for North Jakarta, well, I'm up there about as often as the FPI are handing out free disco tickets, thanks for the tips, all the same.

Jaimito Cartero
04-03-09, 05:51
A couple years back Menteng took me to Abuba Steak. It was a bit different, as someone who is used to US and Argentine steaks. The steaks are generally quite thin, and come with a bbqish sauce, that isn't half bad.

However, in Jakarta, I haven't found anything else that was reasonably priced and good quality.

They now have 4 locations in Jakarta, plus one in Bandung. Prices start at 43k for a steak, with veggies and country style french fries. Add 10% tax to price. They have domestic, NZ and US meats. I've tried the Lokal and imports and both seemed fine to me. JAD and I went the other night, and thought the food was fine.

The location I went to was JL K.H. Wahid Hasyim No. 120. Near Sarinah, next to the Circle K. 021-3193-5655. I got delivery last night, which added 3k to the bill.

Other locations:

Jl Cipte Raya no 14A
021-9284-5552

Jl Raya Gading Batavia LC 11/07
021-9284-5551

Jl Pluit Indah Raya No. 168
021-9284-5553

Bandung
Jl Prabudi Muntur No 12
022-4233290

Ryo Saeba
07-24-09, 08:51
Hello,

Could anyone suggest a good-to-very good Indonesian restaurant, close to Blok M / CJ's bar, open for Sunday dinner?

One page back Prosal and Menteng share different opinions about Waoreng Pojok.

I'll land in the evening and don't want to stray to far from the hotel, but still wishing to try local cuisine.

Thank a lot,

Ryo

Ryo Saeba
08-12-09, 13:36
On a Sunday evening around 9pm I asked the cute receptionist of my hotel (Gran Mahakam in south Jakarta) if there was a good Indonesian restaurant close by still open. She pointed me towards Dapoer, no more than 300 meters far.
Not an upscale place by western standards, but clean and with attentive service. My friend and I were the only customers present at that time, could eat outside, the food was more than ok and the price a bargain, at 350.000 R for four dishes and a couple of beers, service and tip included.

After reading good reviews, on Monday evening we booked at Lara Djonggrang (www.tuguhotels.com/laradjonggrang/index.html) at 9,30.
Reservation wouldn’t have been necessary, as beside us there were only two more tables, which is a pity considering the nice atmosphere and the very good food.

Guess in Jakarta maybe people go to dinner very early?

Mighty Spearsman
08-12-09, 21:38
On a Sunday evening around 9pm I asked the cute receptionist of my hotel (Gran Mahakam in south Jakarta) if there was a good Indonesian restaurant close by still open. She pointed me towards Dapoer, no more than 300 meters far.

Not an upscale place by western standards, but clean and with attentive service. My friend and I were the only customers present at that time, could eat outside, the food was more than ok and the price a bargain, at 350.000 R for four dishes and a couple of beers, service and tip included.

After reading good reviews, on Monday evening we booked at Lara Djonggrang (www.tuguhotels.com/laradjonggrang/index.html) at 9,30.
Reservation wouldn’t have been necessary, as beside us there were only two more tables, which is a pity considering the nice atmosphere and the very good food.

Guess in Jakarta maybe people go to dinner very early?
Thanks for the good report. Yes, 9:30 p.m. is a bit late, especially on a Monday evening.

However, that will change soon, as once Ramadan starts, most restaurants will have a lot of customers in the evening hours.

I'm looking forward to reading more reports on your visit. Thanks!

Prosal
08-13-09, 00:08
Lara Djonggrang (www.tuguhotels.com/laradjonggrang/index.html)
Thanks for the tip.

I've stayed twice in Tugu Hotel Malang, which is the most delightful and enchanting place someone smitten of Javanese culture and atmosphere can dream about (and a great place to kick back a few days with a chick or two on board), but I didn't know they had a restaurant branch in JKT.

Gonna give it a try if (hum ..when) I'll be back in town.

Jaimito Cartero
09-12-09, 08:53
I was joking with JAD the other day about them posting a picture of me at the front door of Furama Restaurant, and not let in for their great All You Can Eat Dim Sum anymore.

Well, when I walked in this afternoon, it basically happened! I had ordered my drink, when one of the supervisors came over, and announced that you could no longer order the AYCE with one person, you need a minimum of two.

Needless to say, I wasn't happy, after taking a taxi from near Plaza Indonesia to come here. I asked for the manager, and after some discussions about the fairness of a just dreamed up "rule", I was given my last chance at solo dining.

Now, I know I'm horrible abuser of their special. It's not even that cheap any more. When I first started coming in April, it was only 55k++, it's now 80K++. I go and have a brunch and cover a couple of meals. If you're going to advertise a special, you should stand behind it.

Maybe I should find a sumo wrestler who can join me? :)

Asian Rain
02-16-10, 19:22
With the new extension open at the Plaza Indonesia there are lots of new restaurants open. I gave Fatburger a try and it was pretty awesome - ordered a triple (as per the the pic) and the beef patties were soft and juicy (not overly greasy). Set comes with a choice of sides - I chose onion rings and they were crispy and hot. Recommend upgrading your drink to a freshly made real ice cream shake. Very reasonable price of Rp110k for the triple burger set. Enjoy Jakarta! AsianRain

Jaimito Cartero
02-16-10, 19:44
I went there when I was in Jakarta last month. I've had Fatburger a couple of times in the US, but didn't register it as anything out of the ordinary. I'm more of an In-N-Out Burger type.

I did find the burgers very nice, and juicy as you stated. They're not inexpensive, certainly, but the quality is there. I don't know if they will last in Jakarta, as the price is quite a bit higher than the usual suspects.

Bule2004
03-10-10, 03:20
Dapur Babah is arguably the best restaurant in Jakarta.

I went there last night, my first visit, and was truly impressed. Decor was excellent, as was the service - but the food was exceptional, and even the white rice was tasty (how do they do that?). The two of us ordered different soups (I ordered a Dutch soup, but I forgot the name), rice, and shared an order of sate ayam and kacang sauce. The total bill, including tax and service was only Rp. 241,000. Great value.

The food is Javanese, mixed with Chinese.

The address is Jl. Veteran 1/18-19, Jakarta Pusat, telephone 385-5653

FrenchTouch
03-25-11, 11:21
Per my post in the Jakarta section, I'd like to recommend Koi restaurant and gallery. Has two branches, one is Blok M (the better one) and one in Kemang. Just do a google and you will find the details.

Great european food at great prices (30-40k for a starter; 70-90k for a main course.

Really worth it and very beautiful girls among the clients. Enjoy. I visited both and every time had a great experience. Funny enough, I noticed the menu seems to vary from one place to the other. Which is fine. Wines are ok, although extremely expensive, but that seems standard in Jakarta. Had a quite nice Moulis en Medoc 2004. Nadine de Rothschild and it was well kept and served at the adequate temperature in the BLOK M joint.

Food is a mix between european and asian inspired if not 100% original asian.

Nice staff, and I agree too, nice crowd. A sure hit to bring a "good girl" for dinner. I doubt I would bring a blokm pickup.

Enjoy

FrenchTouch
03-25-11, 11:33
Hi,

Close to the Meridien, in a complex called Pavilion there are a few restaurants, including one that is very good for Indonesian food. It's called Harum Manis, which seems to mean Sweet taste.

Food is great, location too, prices upscale for Jakarta. I drink wine so our bill went up. Mix of Locals and Expats apparently. Quite extensive menu and not so bad wine list. Went there twice, once with a date and once with staff. They have this singer and one or two musicians thing, that of course the date appreciated and the staff did not really look for since we were actually negotiating the contract renewal so the discussion was not really romantic.

Anyway, good place in that area. Will repeat.

Also remember going to this PepeNero Italian restaurant in Kuningan. Quite affordable, nice setting, mixed crowd of expats and locals. I went there with a date on a Sunday evening, place was packed and I will keep in memory the looks of the 40+ish local and bule women to the red dress and high heels of my DIA date. I reported on her before. Anyway she did not care and I did not either. Great thing was that the waiter went to the extent to prepare my favorite italian dish, the saltimbocca, that was not on the menu. I asked and he agreed that it was a good option and would prepare it. My DIA date got nicely warmed up by the whole thing and we ended up nicely.

I do not remember the price, but all in all seemed to fit in my expense limit since my accountant did not mention anything, so I guess for us visitors quite affordable. Reasonable italian wines.

Nero X
11-11-11, 02:41
The best steak I ever had in my life was at Stix:

http://www.parklanejakarta.com/dining/stix/introduction/

Had the Australian Wagyu Tenderloin which was around $50 dollars. Well worth it. Have paid double in for decent steak in Downtown San Diego but doesn't compare.

Mighty Spearsman
11-11-11, 17:52
The best steak I ever had in my life was at Stix:

http://www.parklanejakarta.com/dining/stix/introduction/

Had the Australian Wagyu Tenderloin which was around $50 dollars. Well worth it. Have paid double in for decent steak in Downtown San Diego but doesn't compare.Your post reminded me of the famous commercial a few years ago for the restaurant / bar / night club at the Park Lane, which was amusing to those expats who knew that the slang word for a prostitute in Bahasa Indonesian is 'chicken. '

If I remember it correctly, the ad featured the hotel spokesperson with an attractive female waitress standing next to him, with the slogan "Come for the beef, stay for the chicken!":

Prosal
11-11-11, 20:55
Had the Australian Wagyu Tenderloin which was around $50 dollars.Holly shit. I stayed at the Park Lane in '02 and the ROOM was around $50. Jakarta has becomed pricey obviously.

LittleBulek
12-02-11, 03:59
My friend bring me to this restaurant near Hotel Classic.

Pondok Laguna with big fish signboard.

Very good indonesian food

Indonam
04-06-12, 12:02
Had a great time here with my date. Classy Thai and Indian food, very tasty. Plus a cozy cocktail bar with lots of foreign correspondents businessmen and NGO staff. Manager is Dutch Indonesian and is friendly towards all guests.

One thing the prices are quite high but quality of food, decor and service makes lots people coming back. Ah its tucked away between Graha Mandiri and Mandarin Oriental and its not easy to find since its also very dimmed at night. Jalan kusuma atmaja 85 Menteng.

JohnnyGolfr
10-01-12, 02:47
Those of you American guys missing a taste of Mexico, Amigos in Kemang will hit the spot.

Food and drink prices are reasonable, and my date got a good buzz off 1 of their signature drinks. Haha.

Finding a taxi after dinner may be a challenge, so plan ahead.

Mantrini
10-25-12, 09:53
Does anyone have a location of any Phillipino restaurants around Jakarta? Was give the address of one in the food-court at FX, any others will be appreciated.

Juggernutt
12-05-12, 22:16
Before it wa available 1001. Is there any place that serve it like this? Something I like to experience myself.

Master Diver II
12-07-12, 09:23
Holly shit. I stayed at the Park Lane in '02 and the ROOM was around $50. Jakarta has becomed pricey obviously.A decent Wagyu Tenderloin generally costs a lot more than that in restaurants. That's why I normally get mine from suppliers and cook it myself. But having said that USD50 for that kind of steak is pretty reasonable. Depending on what grade it is.

MD II

Menteng
12-08-12, 08:17
A decent Wagyu Tenderloin generally costs a lot more than that in restaurants. That's why I normally get mine from suppliers and cook it myself. But having said that USD50 for that kind of steak is pretty reasonable. Depending on what grade it is.

MD IIJust happened to bump into it in a restaurant on the ground floor of Gandaria City (Cut, Chop and Cook?) at 99K per 100 grams (ex taxes). Now I wonder what grade it was!

KiJang
12-12-12, 18:23
My date took me there on my first night in Jakarta. It's very close to Morrissey Hotel and almost adjacent to Akmani (I didn't know it was this close to my HQ as she me around the block a couple of time).

The crabs, tiger shrimp and the squid are just superb! Moderately priced. Well appointed. Be prepared to get messy.

Saung Grenvil. Jl. K. H. Wahid Hasyim No. 87.

http://saung-grenvil.com/

KiJang
12-12-12, 18:35
Can be found in the basement of Plaza Indonesia. Authentic Chinese, Malay Chinese cuisine. Has a street stall feel to it with little wooden tables and stools to sit on. Suggest takeaway rather than dine-in.

Got introduced to this place by my local gf. I was raoming the plaza while she was at work. She texted me her favourites to bring back for a night-in.

Malaysian stlyle Kwaitheow noodles, Fried Lumpia with awesome creamy sauce, etc. IDR 220K.

Tip. 40K.

Roll in the sack after dinner and movie at the hotel. Priceless!

http://www.plazaindonesia.com/store_detail.php?id_store=436&id_ref_store_category=32&id_ref_menu=6

Master Diver II
12-14-12, 11:16
Just happened to bump into it in a restaurant on the ground floor of Gandaria City (Cut, Chop and Cook?) at 99K per 100 grams (ex taxes). Now I wonder what grade it was!I can get a Grade 5/6 Wagyu Tenderloin direct from a KL supplier (not supermarket. So I have to buy the whole Tenderloin) at65k per 100g. I'd have to trim and cook it myself so that should give you an idea. BTW what cut was it? Supermarkets in KL sell Grade 6/7 ribeyeat100-130k per 100g. If I'm staying in a serviced apartment, we can go out and buy some and I'll cook it for you bro.

Can be found in the basement of Plaza Indonesia. Authentic Chinese, Malay Chinese cuisine. Has a street stall feel to it with little wooden tables and stools to sit on. Suggest takeaway rather than dine-in.

Got introduced to this place by my local gf. I was raoming the plaza while she was at work. She texted me her favourites to bring back for a night-in.

Malaysian stlyle Kwaitheow noodles, Fried Lumpia with awesome creamy sauce, etc. IDR 220K.

Tip. 40K.

http://www.plazaindonesia.com/store_detail.php?id_store=436&id_ref_store_category=32&id_ref_menu=6Sounds like a good deal in terms of the "whole package" but those food prices are almost five star hotel food prices in KL. Nonetheless, they do a fairly decent job there. Saung Grenville is reasonable enough too. Especially for the convenient central location (at least for me).

MD II

Menteng
12-14-12, 17:32
I can get a Grade 5/6 Wagyu Tenderloin direct from a KL supplier (not supermarket. So I have to buy the whole Tenderloin) at65k per 100g. I'd have to trim and cook it myself so that should give you an idea. BTW what cut was it? Supermarkets in KL sell Grade 6/7 ribeyeat100-130k per 100g. If I'm staying in a serviced apartment, we can go out and buy some and I'll cook it for you bro.

MD III didn't ask what cut and grade it was, because I didn't visit the restaurant, but since you mentioned 100-130k per 100g for ribeye, I doubt that in a restaurant you will get the same grade at that price. If I happen to be in that mall again, I'll ask. The name of the restaurant is "The Butcher".

Looking forward to meet and have meat, bro. But I hope you do not plan to be here during the period of 16-30 January, as I intend to leave Jakarta then for a trip.

Master Diver II
12-17-12, 01:41
I didn't ask what cut and grade it was, because I didn't visit the restaurant, but since you mentioned 100-130k per 100g for ribeye, I doubt that in a restaurant you will get the same grade at that price. If I happen to be in that mall again, I'll ask. The name of the restaurant is "The Butcher".

Looking forward to meet and have meat, bro. But I hope you do not plan to be here during the period of 16-30 January, as I intend to leave Jakarta then for a trip.Looking at earlier than that bro, already suffering badly from Jakarta withdrawal symptoms.

MD II

Cooldoe
12-17-12, 07:17
My date took me there on my first night in Jakarta. It's very close to Morrissey Hotel and almost adjacent to Akmani (I didn't know it was this close to my HQ as she me around the block a couple of time).

The crabs, tiger shrimp and the squid are just superb! Moderately priced. Well appointed. Be prepared to get messy.

Saung Grenvil. Jl. K. H. Wahid Hasyim No. 87.

http://saung-grenvil.com/If you like seafood, you should try Indah seafood in Gn. Sahari.

Good and fresh seafood, price is a bit cheaper than saung grenvil but the location not as nice.

Also try Bandar Jakarta in ancol, is another popular place for seafood.

Tip. 40K.

http://www.plazaindonesia.com/store_detail.php?id_store=436&id_ref_store_category=32&id_ref_menu=6Are you sure about the food price?

Is that for one? Seem very expensive for Chopstix restaurant

Menteng
12-18-12, 11:56
If you like seafood, you should try Indah seafood in Gn. Sahari.

Good and fresh seafood, price is a bit cheaper than saung grenvil but the location not as nice.

Also try Bandar Jakarta in ancol, is another popular place for seafood.

Are you sure about the food price?

Is that for one? Seem very expensive for Chopstix restaurantIf it's still there, you should try Dadap. Restaurant above the water on stilts with a cool seabreeze to ease the senses, though the surroundings may not be your cup of tea.

Maybe the "etc" part of his specification makes the difference.

Prosal
12-18-12, 12:20
If you like seafood, you should try Indah seafood in Gn. SahariDon't know if it's still good, but I loved Pondok Laguna (sundanese and padang food). Their Ikan Gurami Bakar (gurame fish) was mouth-watering, as their crab in black pepper sauce. IMO it was (is?) one of the best seafood restaurant in Jakarta.

Cooldoe
12-22-12, 15:24
If it's still there, you should try Dadap. Restaurant above the water on stilts with a cool seabreeze to ease the senses, though the surroundings may not be your cup of tea.

Maybe the "etc" part of his specification makes the difference.Is this the resto you are talking about?

http://restorandadapindah.********.com/

The name seem very familiar to me, but I don't think I been there for a while

Menteng
12-23-12, 04:32
Is this the resto you are talking about?

http://restorandadapindah.********.com/

The name seem very familiar to me, but I don't think I been there for a whileThe url doesn't seem to work. (even without the *)

Adimondo
10-22-13, 19:41
Greetings to you fellows,

Please give any suggestions on Sunday brunch offers in Jakarta. The 5* hotels are normally famous for these gastronomic events. Any recommendations, comments and thoughts on this subject are highly appreciated.

John Aldrich
10-23-13, 22:06

Please give any suggestions on Sunday brunch offers in Jakarta. The 5* hotels are normally famous for these gastronomic events. Any recommendations, comments and thoughts on this subject are highly appreciated.Try the Mulia Senayan or the Kempinski. Both are top class and brunch is too good a spread.

Cheers

Cooze Hound
10-24-13, 07:05

Please give any suggestions on Sunday brunch offers in Jakarta. The 5* hotels are normally famous for these gastronomic events. Any recommendations, comments and thoughts on this subject are highly appreciated.If you are a drinker, call up these Hotels because some of them have freeflow wine for a relatively nominal extra fixed price. In effect an all you can eat and drink package.

Adimondo
10-29-13, 01:13
Thank you for the hints gentlemen!

MasBule
11-11-13, 11:14
As mentioned, Mulia is a great spot for Sunday brunch. High class, not good to take your girl from CJ's the night before, unles she is high class too. Two restos Table8 is the best.

Same too Satoo at Shag-ri-La is also supreb, but same goes for the comments about your ayam from BATS.

Ritz at Kuningham is very good and a little for the free-flow wine deal. Get pi$$ed on new zealand sav blanc very cheaply (considering a good bottle is 500k) , along with some great food.

Please give any suggestions on Sunday brunch offers in Jakarta. The 5* hotels are normally famous for these gastronomic events. Any recommendations, comments and thoughts on this subject are highly appreciated.

Medanboy
11-13-13, 00:33
I know its a thread about restaurants but I didn't find any other place to post. Anyone knows some places for bowling, pool etc. In jakarta? Find it a nice way to spend time together with the girls. Going movies or restaurants gets repetetive and I would like some other activities to warm them up. Only bowling I know is in plaza ex to the left after you enter the taxi entrance. I thought there is a big pool hall at the end of jalan jaksa but not sure if my mind doesn't trick me with a similar place in Bangkok.

As for eatong I tryed the bca tower last time. Even with reservation I had to wait at the bar first and I didn't find it an intimaze cosy place with average service and overpriced.

Immigrant however was pricey but excellent.

Two great indo style restaurants were:

- seribu rasa menteng resto at jalan agus salim close to plaza, close to the deutche bank. Its more a business style and reservation seems necessary. Also not the place I would take dating girls to.

- restaurant on jalan agus salim not far from sari san pacific at the east side of the road. Iirc close opposite to the night shop.

Thanks.

Mighty Spearsman
11-13-13, 06:57
I know its a thread about restaurants but I didn't find any other place to post. Anyone knows some places for bowling, pool etc. In jakarta? Find it a nice way to spend time together with the girls. Going movies or restaurants gets repetetive and I would like some other activities to warm them up. Only bowling I know is in plaza ex to the left after you enter the taxi entrance. I thought there is a big pool hall at the end of jalan jaksa but not sure if my mind doesn't trick me with a similar place in Bangkok.

As for eatong I tryed the bca tower last time. Even with reservation I had to wait at the bar first and I didn't find it an intimaze cosy place with average service and overpriced.

Immigrant however was pricey but excellent.

- seribu rasa menteng resto at jalan agus salim close to plaza, close to the deutche bank. Its more a business style and reservation seems necessary. Also not the place I would take dating girls to.

- restaurant on jalan agus salim not far from sari san pacific at the east side of the road. Iirc close opposite to the night shop.

Thanks.Yes, there's a nice bowling place at Plaza Indonesia's EX section, it's a good central location and there are several places to eat nearby, plus it's a good place to people-watch and mall-cruise for girls.

I seem to remember a pool / billiards place in the same complex but I could be wrong.

I believe that there's a billiards cafe at CITOS in Cilandak.

Smoothy
11-13-13, 11:17
They have a bowling alley at Pasar Festival Kuningan. There is a good pool hall there as well. There is also a good pool hall in Sarinah just outside chilis.

TiVida
11-13-13, 18:44
Has anyone ever tried the Argentinian restaurant called Brasas in the Sudirman CBD? If so is it any good? Do they do proper Argentinian Asado / parilla? And what are the prices like- they don't seem to have a website and I can't see any menu for them online anywhere.

Medanboy
11-13-13, 23:28
They have a bowling alley at Pasar Festival Kuningan. There is a good pool hall there as well. There is also a good pool hall in Sarinah just outside chilis.Thanks smoothy and mighty spearsman. I can not believe I missed it at sarinah, I hang out there almost every weekend when I am in jakarta and been on almost every floor. (movies, karaoke.) I Checked their website and looks good!

Member #4235
11-14-13, 03:52

Thanks.Hi,

Yes, I agree, Seribu Rasa is awesome. A bit pricey by local standards but by my home country very cheap for the service and quality of food. My last visit I went there twice only because I discovered it thanks to the pullman concierge on the third last day of my stay. I took my "girl" (sorta decent local girl with benefits) there. The food is awesome. I'll be back there a few times more I imagine.

John Aldrich
11-14-13, 22:07
Has anyone ever tried the Argentinian restaurant called Brasas in the Sudirman CBD? If so is it any good? Do they do proper Argentinian Asado / parilla? And what are the prices like- they don't seem to have a website and I can't see any menu for them online anywhere.Have been there once with a friend of mine who is from Venezuela. I liked the food. Though did not understand what was what, since my expat friend from Venezuela ordered the dishes. Just walk in check it out. You can always walk out if you did not like the menu.

Cheers

BijiMonster
02-12-14, 06:15
Greetings!

Just wondering if you guys have any suggestions for a good Italian restaurant in Jakarta? Preferable sth near Pondok Indah or Senayan?

Mighty Spearsman
02-13-14, 23:15
Greetings!

Just wondering if you guys have any suggestions for a good Italian restaurant in Jakarta? Preferable sth near Pondok Indah or Senayan?Several choices:

Rosso Restaurant in the Shangri-La Hotel is good but charges 5-star hotel prices. I only ate here when others were paying, LOL.

Toscana Restaurant in Kemang is popular amongst the Italian expat community.

Trattoria Kuningan, Pepenero Cucina Italiano (in Kuningan) and Fashion Pasta are in the same category.

For lower-priced places, I always enjoyed Pizza Marzano (Grand Indonesia basement, Senayan City Mall ground floor, other locations) which is actually a British chain. It has several Italian dishes besides pizza and is good value-for-money. Some expats enjoy Izzi Pizza but that place was never one of my favorites.

Some of the other 5-star hotels may also have Italian restaurants. I think Hotel Mulia has one. The Mandarin Oriental had a good Italian restaurant before they closed for renovations, but I believe that that place is closed for good.

I'm sure that I've missed a few good places, hopefully someone else can add to this list.

P. S. Not Italian, but one of my all-time favorite restaurants in Jakarta is the Face Bar (Indian / Thai / Middle-Eastern all under one roof) , located behind the Mandarin Oriental.

Menteng
02-14-14, 11:09
Greetings!

Just wondering if you guys have any suggestions for a good Italian restaurant in Jakarta? Preferable sth near Pondok Indah or Senayan?Ground floor of Gandaria City and in Plaza Senayan itself.

MrBill1963
02-15-14, 02:45
Some of the other 5-star hotels may also have Italian restaurants. I think Hotel Mulia has one. The Mandarin Oriental had a good Italian restaurant before they closed for renovations, but I believe that that place is closed for good.Mandarin has reopened from renovations late last year. The old Italian restaurant that used to be in the Mandarin is now a french bistro. I always enjoyed the former Italian restaurant but the new french bistro is good also.

TimTims
03-22-15, 03:19
Mandarin has reopened from renovations late last year. The old Italian restaurant that used to be in the Mandarin is now a french bistro. I always enjoyed the former Italian restaurant but the new french bistro is good also.I can vouch for the Italian in the basement of the Mulia. Eaten there many times always good. GM is an Italian.

Koperen Klaas
09-09-16, 23:06
Ground floor of Gandaria City and in Plaza Senayan itself.Yup. In Plaza Senayan there are two restaurants in the hallway under the parking garage. One of them serves an all day breakfast (they claim) and the other one serves great Italian food. I tried their spaghetti and I loved it. Can you say Garlic sauce?

Regards,

Ko

Smoothy
09-12-16, 05:28
For Italian food, MammaRosy in Kemang is excellent. The lasagne there is awesome!

Behemoth
10-29-16, 18:50
If you're looking for that rare pure vegetarian restaurant in Jakarta, head to Waytuki in Pasar Baru. Even though the name sounds oddly Japanese, this place specializes in Indian veg. Cuisine. The ambiance and seating isn't much to write about, but goddamn if the food doesn't make up for it. I visited 4 times during my stay and tried a lot of different curries and biryanis off their menu. Every single one was delicious and better than some places in India, and that's saying something. Price is pretty reasonable. I'm in love with their veggie biryani and still craving some back home.

Smoothy
11-08-16, 03:49
Best hamburger in Jakarta (in my opinion).

1) Chilis Sarinah (awesome).

2) BATS burger hotel ShangriLa.

3) Carls Jr.

4) Johnny Rockets.

5) FAT burger.

BKKguru
07-27-17, 05:28
Thanks for the recommendation. For a vegetarian, this is a big deal in a place like Jakarta.

(1) According to Google maps, there is a 'Gokul Vegetarian' on a parallel street from Waytuki. Did you try Gokul?

(2) Waytuki is in Central Jakarta. If I want to stay close to this location, are there any good (monger friendly) Hotels?
I did see Hotel Red Planet (3 Star) which appears to be a short taxi ride from Waytuki.

Thanks,

~BKKguru.

If you're looking for that rare pure vegetarian restaurant in Jakarta, head to Waytuki in Pasar Baru. Even though the name sounds oddly Japanese, this place specializes in Indian veg. Cuisine. The ambiance and seating isn't much to write about, but goddamn if the food doesn't make up for it. I visited 4 times during my stay and tried a lot of different curries and biryanis off their menu. Every single one was delicious and better than some places in India, and that's saying something. Price is pretty reasonable. I'm in love with their veggie biryani and still craving some back home.

Stykler
08-07-17, 13:17
I will be landing in Jakarta 1900 hrs Thursday. After hotel check in at Mulia, I think I will be able to get to Blok M by 2200 hrs to meet a friend. Do any forum members have any recommendations for good to very good restaurants in the area that would be open at that time? Cuisine type not important, quality is.

Thanks, Styk.

Smoothy
08-07-17, 15:33
I will be landing in Jakarta 1900 hrs Thursday. After hotel check in at Mulia, I think I will be able to get to Blok M by 2200 hrs to meet a friend. Do any forum members have any recommendations for good to very good restaurants in the area that would be open at that time? Cuisine type not important, quality is.

Thanks, Styk.There are no good restaurants near jalan pelatehan blok m. However, Jalan Gunawarman is close and has many.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/RestaurantsNear-g294229-d10767891-The_Gunawarman-Jakarta_Java.html

If you don't venture all the way down near blok m, but meet near your hotel, Right next to hotel mulia is Plaza Senayan and Senayan city mall. Both malls have excellent dining.

Kerrstar
08-07-17, 16:26
If you don't venture all the way down near blok m, but meet near your hotel, Right next to hotel mulia is Plaza Senayan and Senayan city mall. Both malls have excellent dining.The restaurant on the ground floor opposite Starbucks and Plaza Senayan has fajitas that are really nice and they do good pizza's as well. They also do local food. There is a nice restaurant just past the's place, I've eaten there a few times.

Kemang is only 10 minutes away if the traffic is light and there are some good restaurants there. Die Stube has really good German food and nice German beer if you want a change from Bintang.

Smoothy
08-07-17, 16:49
The restaurant on the ground floor opposite Starbucks and Plaza Senayan has fajitas that are really nice and they do good pizza's as well. They also do local food. There is a nice restaurant just past the's place, I've eaten there a few times.

Kemang is only 10 minutes away if the traffic is light and there are some good restaurants there. Die Stube has really good German food and nice German beer if you want a change from Bintang.This is the "trendy" one outside plaza senayan.

https://www.unionjkt.com/

Smoothy
08-07-17, 16:55
This is damn far from Senayan as it's in Menteng, but if you are into checking out cool restaurants, this one is very cool. It's Indonesian food, but the most unique restaurant in Jakarta. Everyone should visit it at least once. Don't just eat there, ask them to give you a tour of the restaurant, it's like a museum.

https://www.tuguhotels.com/restaurants/jakarta/laradjonggrang/contact-us/map/

Kerrstar
08-07-17, 17:03
This is the "trendy" one outside plaza senayan.
I got my plazas mixed up, I was thinking about Pasaraya. The restaurant there is called Aruba. I like it but it's pretty casual.

Smoothy
08-07-17, 20:31
I got my plazas mixed up, I was thinking about Pasaraya. The restaurant there is called Aruba. I like it but it's pretty casual.I can't say that's a great restaurant for food, but they have a good salsa night at Aruba on Saturday night if you like dancing salsa.

Stykler
08-07-17, 23:41
There are no good restaurants near jalan pelatehan blok m. However, Jalan Gunawarman is close and has many.

If you don't venture all the way down near blok m, but meet near your hotel, Right next to hotel mulia is Plaza Senayan and Senayan city mall. Both malls have excellent dining.

Kemang is only 10 minutes away if the traffic is light and there are some good restaurants there. Die Stube has really good German food and nice German beer if you want a change from Bintang.Smoothy and Kerrstar. I am grateful for the time you have taken to assist me. I will have a beer in your honor when I choose somewhere to go based on your advice!

Joel Goodsen
08-08-17, 02:23
I can't say that's a great restaurant for food, but they have a good salsa night at Aruba on Saturday night if you like dancing salsa.Yes, they do, the salsa evenings can be good fun. They're in Tempus in the Ritz on Thursdays, Fridays in Amigo's in Kemang.

If you know a few salsa steps, great way to hook up, there's a shortage of men. In fact, because of the shortage, there's a little female monger circuit here. Wealthy Indonesian women flying in young salsa dancers from the Phils.

Smoothy
08-08-17, 08:04
Yes, they do, the salsa evenings can be good fun. They're in Tempus in the Ritz on Thursdays, Fridays in Amigo's in Kemang.

If you know a few salsa steps, great way to hook up, there's a shortage of men. In fact, because of the shortage, there's a little female monger circuit here. Wealthy Indonesian women flying in young salsa dancers from the Phils.I knew those guys were hired guns, but I never knew those guys were from the philippines. I forget her name, but that one old woman can dance every dance. It's amazing.

I haven't been in a while, but used to like to go to all of those places as well as to Benihana on Wednesday nights, also Sunday night at that place in the restaurant in the building next to MMC hospital. The same salsa crowd at every venue. I can't go every night like those salsa addicts do, but it's a good time.

If you frequent those events, I'm betting we have seen each other and very likely met.

Joel Goodsen
08-08-17, 13:29
I knew those guys were hired guns, but I never knew those guys were from the philippines. I forget her name, but that one old woman can dance every dance. It's amazing.

I haven't been in a while, but used to like to go to all of those places as well as to Benihana on Wednesday nights, also Sunday night at that place in the restaurant in the building next to MMC hospital. The same salsa crowd at every venue. I can't go every night like those salsa addicts do, but it's a good time.

If you frequent those events, I'm betting we have seen each other and very likely met.Yes same crowd and some of those elderly girls can really dance, even become sexy. If I was living in Jakarta, I would take lessons and learn it.

I don't know the names, but one of the pinay guys introduced me about a year ago. A guy called Jay from Manila, talented dancer. There were a whole bunch of them, young blokes. Some agent organized for the trip, accommodation, flights. Free drinks at salsa nights and money provided for by the Indo women.

It would have been fun, if we have met. But then again, am only in Jakarta, when lucky. Like now, have not visited in 7 months, visit only 3 days,. Still keep a motorbike there, can't wait. Will be great to run into you some time. Should you ever see some bloke trying his hardest at salsa, but zero talent, think of me.

Stykler
08-11-17, 04:43
Went to this place Lara Djonggrang last night on the recommendation of Mr Smoothy, https://www.tuguhotels.com.

For those folks who enjoy their food in a unique environment this place is for you. Indonesian food with a western bent, at the highest level.

Thanks Smoothy.

LA Guy 5
08-11-17, 05:25
Went to this place Lara Djonggrang last night on the recommendation of Mr Smoothy, https://www.tuguhotels.com.

For those folks who enjoy their food in a unique environment this place is for you. Indonesian food with a western bent, at the highest level.

Thanks Smoothy.If you liked Lara Djonggrang (I personally don't much but maybe I was there on a bad night) you should try the related restaurant in the same general area of Menteng, https://www.tuguhotels.com/restaurants/jakarta/kunstkring/. Tugu Kunstkring is one of my favorites and it too has a very unique atmosphere.

Smoothy
08-11-17, 14:11

Thanks Smoothy.Nice. It's cool to do a few cultural things while in town as well as mongering. There are other somewhat similar Indo restaurants to that one in town that actually have better food (not that the food at Lara Djonggrang is not good). But Lara Djonggrang is the most unique in my opinion. Did you take the tour? The history behind that restaurant is amazing. It's the only touristy restaurant I recommend in town and I think it's a must for any visitor to Jakarta. Whenever a group of VIP's come to town and they have never been to Jakarta before, I take them there. It's a unique restaurant like you don't find in other countries and is truly indicative of Indonesia.

Stykler
08-13-17, 07:27
Did you take the tour? The history behind that restaurant is amazing.No I didn't take the tour, but as I was the only person in the place when I arrived and before my dining companion turned up I was given a bit of a look around by two of the waiting staff. It is unique IMHO.

As an aside, after eating and having many (many) wines it was time to go. I was certainly well lubricated by that stage. As my friend had other plans I was left to get back to my hotel under my own steam. My best option seemed to be Uber, which sucks in Jakarta, as the only option available was the Uber share option. Anyway I booked it and the car (a van) arrived in a minute or so. The other share riders in the van where five hijab wearing ladies.

Anyway I jumped into the Uber, obviously reeking of booze and eventually busting for a [CodeWord134] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord134). The ladies were muttering away to themselves and could see my obvious discomfort at the situation, the only relief they had available to them from my stench was to open every window in the van. Anyway their stop arrived they got out, they said something to the driver and motioned me into their house (I assume), and gestured me to use their toilet and continue on my way. Relief was at hand, and welcome from my perspective. I probably haven't portrayed the humor in the situation very well here, but at the time it was quite funny.

No more Jakarta for me. Next stop Bkk.

Smoothy
08-13-17, 08:01
They invited you in? Haha. Are you sure they weren't motioning you into the house as an invitation for sex?

I always ask the waiter to call me a taxi. I haven't tried an uber from that restaurant before (I've never used Uber at all in Jakarta, I have tried GrabCar which is the same thing, but I prefer a taxi. The GrabCars never want to listen to me when I tell them to take a different route. In a taxi, they will go whichever way I want. I get home a lot faster in a taxi). That restaurant used to be a hospital years ago and it's supposedly one of the oldest buildings in Jakarta. The stories they tell when they give the tour are quite interesting. There is an area that is not a dining part of the restaurant that has lots of old artifacts. It's quite cool.

http://asia361.com/2016/04/22/travel-history-lara-djonggrang/

Enjoy BKK. In BKK, try a restaurant called Condoms and Cabbages.

Stykler
08-13-17, 08:12
Enjoy BKK. In BKK, try a restaurant called Condoms and Cabbages.Thanks Smoothy.

I did try see and see some time ago when it first opened. I found it OK, but not at the same level as Lara Djonggrang. However I find myself at a loose end at the moment and might head in that direction to see how I feel when / if I get there.

I appreciate your suggestions.

Koperen Klaas
08-13-17, 18:54

Thanks Smoothy.Has any of you tried Memories restaurant? Talk about unique atmosphere. It's located not far from the old Hotel Menteng.

The food is reasonable, as I recall. Haven't been there for a while.

Ryo Saeba
09-16-17, 22:28
I love food and craft cocktails, and (like everyone I guess) even more so when theyre served in attractive environments: for me eating and drinking well in nice places is a big part of any holiday.
So, in preparation for my recent Jakarta stop, I researched bars and restaurants just as hard as I researched sex, and sampled a few of them, some of which I would recommend:

DAPUR BABAH ELITE
Nice interior design and above average food.
https://www.tuguhotels.com/restaurants/jakarta/dapurbabahelite

E&O
Here I drank possibily the best cocktail I tasted so far in 2017, the Asian Lime Mojito. Good food also!
http://eandojakarta.com/home

PROHIBITION
Unless its a formal dinner, ask to be seated in the hidden speakeasy bar.
http://www.prohibition.asia

SKYE BAR
Cocktails were average, but I just love rooftop bars!
https://www.ismaya.com/skye

My 2 cents,
Ryo

Stykler
09-17-17, 03:48
Cocktails were average, but I just love rooftop bars!

You might like this place then.

http://www.hausemade.com/

Damn hard to find, but worth it in the end. You will need a fully loaded credit card.

Koperen Klaas
07-22-18, 16:51
I love food and craft cocktails, and (like everyone I guess) even more so when theyre served in attractive environments: for me eating and drinking well in nice places is a big part of any holiday.
So, in preparation for my recent Jakarta stop, I researched bars and restaurants just as hard as I researched sex, and sampled a few of them, some of which I would recommend:

DAPUR BABAH ELITE
Nice interior design and above average food.
https://www.tuguhotels.com/restaurants/jakarta/dapurbabahelite..Cloud Lounge is also pretty good. Decent food at reasonable prices and the view is excellent. Three floors below is the Altitude Bar where you can get a fantastic daytime view of Jakarta, looking South and West.

Pedros Needs
07-23-18, 13:16
I haven't popped my head in here for some time, enjoy reading posts in here with a future trip to Jakarta looming, as just back from 2 weeks in Bali (Report in Bali ISG).

I had to virtually go to page 2 to check that I wasn't in a restaurant page, things must be quite there on the punting front I presume- LOL.

Cheers,

Pedro.

Banana Boi
12-01-18, 17:41
Any good steak houses in north Jakarta? Been to Holy Cow. Cut of US meat was ok but the sauces need some work. No peppercorn, only pepper. Definitely worth the price though. We also enjoyed a dinner at Outback steakhouse last trip but it's a bit far to travel. A good place closer would be great.

A good pho noodle house would be good. I eat at Pho 24 in Kota Kasablanka but again something north of National monument would be nice.

Blanquiceleste
12-01-18, 19:09
Any good steak houses in north Jakarta? Been to Holy Cow. Cut of US meat was ok but the sauces need some work. No peppercorn, only pepper. Definitely worth the price though. We also enjoyed a dinner at Outback steakhouse last trip but it's a bit far to travel. A good place closer would be great.

A good pho noodle house would be good. I eat at Pho 24 in Kota Kasablanka but again something north of National monument would be nice.I could suggest a couple in Central / South Jakarta. Ebeya at Ritz Carlton and La Posta in Sudirman are both fantastic. Since you mention the sauces, La Posta is particularly good.

Have never tried pho noodles in Jakarta. That said, would you fancy Bak Kut the? Pork ribs in clear peppery garlicky soup with some rice on the side? Song Fa has a couple of outlets in Jakarta, one that just next door to the Mercure Kota Jakarta Hotel.

Member #4698
12-01-18, 20:24
Although I have never eaten at a steak house in Jakarta because I prefer to eat the local food, I am familiar with the Ruth Chris Steak House in my neighborhood, South Florida, USA and the Morton's Steakhouse also in my town Florida. They are different, but they both serve very high quality aged steaks in a relaxing environment and at a similar price point. They are not cheap. Back in the day when I lived in Chicago, me and my buddies used to go to the original Mortons when Arnie Morton, the legendary founder & owner was still alive. It was really great! back then before they franchised and went corporate.

So based on all that, I recommend the Ruth's Chris Jakarta Steak House located in the Somerset Grand Citra, Ground Floor. Give it a try and let me know if your steak sizzled. In addition, there are more Ruth's Chris Steak House restaurants in Singapore and Hong Kong plus several Morton's Steakhouse restaurants in Hong Kong, Macau, and Singapore. I almost went to the Morton's in Macau one night while I was cruising around the Venetian Casino Hotel looking for you know what. I ended up in a fiery Szechuan Restaurant instead.

I am also pretty sure the steak house Blanquiceleste recommended in the Ritz Carlton ain't too shabby either. I recently stayed at the Ritz Carlton for a couple of nights during my 3 week Jakarta layover. The Ritz is a true 5 star hotel. One of the best in Jakarta if you ask me.

Stykler
12-01-18, 23:49
I am also pretty sure the steak house Blanquiceleste recommended in the Ritz Carlton ain't too shabby either. I recently stayed at the Ritz Carlton for a couple of nights during my 3 week Jakarta layover. The Ritz is a true 5 star hotel. One of the best in Jakarta if you ask me.For those in Jakarta who like steak, give this joint a try. Damned hard to find, but worth it when you get there. Hope your boss is paying!

hausemade.com

Blanquiceleste
12-02-18, 20:52
Back in the day when I lived in Chicago, me and my buddies used to go to the original Mortons when Arnie Morton, the legendary founder & owner was still alive. It was really great! back then before they franchised and went corporate.I wish I had this opportunity.

I frequent Morton's in Singapore often, located at the Mandarin Oriental. Incredible steaks. Impeccable service. Eye-watering prices. But I keep going back.

Smoothy
12-02-18, 23:29
So based on all that, I recommend the Ruth's Chris Jakarta Steak House located in the Somerset Grand Citra, Ground Floor. Give it a try and let me know if your steak sizzled. I love Ruth's Chris in the USA, but the one in Jakarta has been poor the couple of times I have tried it.

If you want a good steak in Jakarta, try the steak in BATS at the Hotel Shangri La (prior to 9 pm) or the steak at the Park Lane hotel restaurant called Riva.

Smoothy
12-02-18, 23:31
Cloud Lounge is also pretty good. Decent food at reasonable prices and the view is excellent. Three floors below is the Altitude Bar where you can get a fantastic daytime view of Jakarta, looking South and West.The hottest rooftop bar in Jakarta is Henshin in the Westin Hotel.

Member #4698
12-31-18, 14:35
Hi guys,

Kind of off topic, but does anyone have any recommendations for a good Indonesian restaurant. I've been mostly eating at hole in the wall type places and have been a bit underwhelmed, though I think that the cuisine here could be very good if it was well made. I'd like to give it a chance.

Can anyone recommend a good Indonesian restaurant? I'm not looking for a fancy fusion place. But some place authentic, traditional and good.

Many thanks in advance!

And a Happy (and Horny) New Year to all!Uncle-V, There are many great local restaurants in Jakarta. On the grand side, I like Dapur Babah Elite. The address: Jalan Veteran I No. 18-19. This restaurant has an excellent selection of Javanese food in a very nice, relaxing atmosphere. Their bar is a work of art. Very friendly staff.

You also might want to try: Pondok Laguna. Address Jl. Batu Tulis Raya No. 45. Famous for their Tahu Kipas and their ikan gurame. A must-go Indo seafood restaurant.

And on a less expensive side, I like Remboelan in the the Plaza Senayan and Grand Indonesia mall among others. This is a very popular restaurant and they have a very large selection of tasty local dishes. Check out their menu. http://www.remboelan.com/page/index.php.

Bon Apptit.

Smoothy
01-20-19, 15:18
I ate at The Holy Crab for the first time tonight. Absolutely delicious! Not cheap, but that was some of the best crab I have ever had in my life anywhere in the world.

Porker
01-20-19, 18:14
Price point was approx. 20 USD, open from 7-10. As was always staying in North Jakarta, though, traffic to get there was a PITA. It was on the way to Blok M, though, back when Blok M was worth a look late at night.

North Jakarta had decent Chinese restos, as one might expect, being in Chinatown.

Titleist19
04-27-19, 10:53
Some really great restaurants that I tried on my recent trip to Jakarta.

Loewy:

Trendy restaurant with a small bar. I had the wagyu steak, was delicious, and very affordable. The meal was under 20 USD. Highly recommend the blue cheese sauce, was fantastic. After about 9 pm, music tends to get quite loud and the atmosphere changes a bit.

Skye:

Rooftop restaurant and outdoor bar patio, really nice place. Had the wagyu burger, I have trouble finding a really good burger in Asia and prices were again very reasonable, although more expensive than Loewy. If you eat dinner at Skye, as one of the waiters to give you a free stamp to enter the patio area after. Quite popular and good music.

Basque de Tapas:

3 min walk from Loewy. I thought food here was a bit worse than Loewy or Skye, but not too bad. I found the scallop, croquettes, beef balls quite nice. We should've ordered one of their steaks as well. Basque also turns into a bar that gets quite happening on certain nights. Quite a few pros from what I saw. Did not partake in any of their services.

Banana Boi
04-29-19, 08:54
Loewy:

Trendy restaurant with a small bar. I had the wagyu steak, was delicious, and very affordable. The meal was under 20 USD. Highly recommend the blue cheese sauce, was fantastic. After about 9 pm, music tends to get quite loud and the atmosphere changes a bit.Thanks. When in Kuningan I go to the Outback Steakhouse nearby. Only Outack I've been to in SE Asia that was any good. I see Loewy is much cheaper but is the steak as good? My go to steak place in Jakarta is Holycow! Steakhouse. Cheap and tender US cuts.

Sydpat
04-30-19, 04:22
I ate at The Holy Crab for the first time tonight. Absolutely delicious! Not cheap, but that was some of the best crab I have ever had in my life anywhere in the world.Hi,

Can you tell us what you ate and how much it cost you so that I can order. Went online and everything is price per market.

Thank you.

Sydpat.

Smoothy
04-30-19, 05:49
My go to steak place in Jakarta is Holycow! Steakhouse. Cheap and tender US cuts.Which steak did you have? I only ate there once. I got the most expensive steak on the menu and it was very mediocre. Maybe I picked the wrong one because it was bad enough for me to never return. I will say that HolyCrab is awesome, but one crab meal is like 100 USD, so it's not cheap.

As far as a place I do know has good steak, BATS has awesome steaks, but they are not cheap and the restaurant closes at 9 pm.

Banana Boi
04-30-19, 12:11
Which steak did you have? I only ate there once. I got the most expensive steak on the menu and it was very mediocre.US Angus Beef Tenderloin medium rare. I prefer my steaks a bit bloody. Cooked any more and they may be chewy. I believe the Wagyu is Aussie meat and I'm not a fan of Aussie beef which is why I seek US or Canadian beef. Guys have ordered the more expensive Wagyu but didn't even look like a better cut of meat than I had. I've only been to the one in Manga Besar near Emporium. Have taken several guys to Holycow and all have liked it except one so it's not a slam dunk great place for all.

https://www.zomato.com/jakarta/holycow-steakhouse-by-chef-afit-kelapa-gading/menu

I have heard the buffet at the Shangri-la hotel is amazing so I can only assume the steak at BATS is delicious.

Smoothy
04-30-19, 13:24
If you want to try something that is absolutely delicious and a bit unique, try the Beef Ribs at Bluegrass in Kuningan Epicentrium. I think it's 350 k, but it's large. One order is enough for 2 people. Truly awesome. It has to be the beef ribs though, the baby back ribs are not as good believe it or not.

Goferring
04-30-19, 13:53
If you want to try something that is absolutely delicious and a bit unique, try the Beef Ribs at Bluegrass in Kuningan Epicentrium. I think it's 350 k, but it's large. One order is enough for 2 people. Truly awesome. It has to be the beef ribs though, the baby back ribs are not as good believe it or not.Why do you prefer the beef? Are they using a different sauce?

I remember years ago Tony Roma's had all their pork imports stopped and they resorted to lamb and beef ribs until it was sorted. Theirs were bloody awful.

Cheers G.

Smoothy
04-30-19, 15:07
Why do you prefer the beef? Are they using a different sauce?

I remember years ago Tony Roma's had all their pork imports stopped and they resorted to lamb and beef ribs until it was sorted. Theirs were bloody awful.

Cheers G.We used to go to the Tony Roma's near Ratu Plaza back in the day when they did have the pork ribs. These ribs at Bluegrass are way better. I prefer the beef ribs simply because they taste great. I've never had any like them, not even in the US. Tender and delicious. I prefer them with the BBQ sauce rather than the special Bluegrass sauce, but both sauces are good.

Questner
05-01-19, 01:27
Looks like 4 ounce steaks in Jakarta are the norm, LOL.

Smoothy
05-01-19, 06:03
Looks like 4 ounce steaks in Jakarta are the norm, LOL.At HolyCow, I agree. However, at BATS, the standard is about 10 ounces.

Banana Boi
05-01-19, 10:24
If you want to try something that is absolutely delicious and a bit unique, try the Beef Ribs at Bluegrass in Kuningan Epicentrium. I think it's 350 k, but it's large. One order is enough for 2 people. Truly awesome. It has to be the beef ribs though, the baby back ribs are not as good believe it or not.Awesome will give it a try but I'm not sure I can order beef ribs over pork ribs. Just not a fan of beef ribs. Will be a game time decision.

Do you guys find the ribs at Tony Roma's in Thailand or Indonesia to be as good as Tony Roma's in North America or Europe? I've always been tempted to try it in Asia but have a feeling I am going to be disappointed.

Looks like 4 ounce steaks in Jakarta are the norm, LOL.Maybe Indonesia has very small cows? 3-4 ounces is what is deemed to be a proper portion of meat. Any more is excessive. Even the Holycow steaks are 200 grams (7 ounces). You can always order 2 steaks if you're hungry. I almost did once after a big workout at a nearby spa.

Smoothy
05-01-19, 12:18
Awesome will give it a try but I'm not sure I can order beef ribs over pork ribs. Just not a fan of beef ribs. Will be a game time decision.

Do you guys find the ribs at Tony Roma's in Thailand or Indonesia to be as good as Tony Roma's in North America or Europe? I've always been tempted to try it in Asia but have a feeling I am going to be disappointed.I also found it hard to try the beef ribs over the pork ribs because every other place in the entire world I have eaten, the pork ribs are better. However, if you can take my word on those beef ribs at Bluegrass, you won't regret it because they are very special. Hell, if I could get that here in the USA, I would. You would be doing yourself a disservice ordering the baby back pork ribs because they are the same as pork ribs anywhere else. Good, but not as good as those Bluegrass beef ribs. I haven't even found ribs that good in Texas.

I eat at the Tony Roma's in Terminal 21 in Bangkok fairly often when I am there for work and on expense account. Not because it's great, but just for some variety. It's garbage in comparison to Bluegrass in Jakarta. The only Tony Roma's I ever ate at in the USA was in Guam and it was better than in Thailand, but still not as good as Bluegrass.

Smoothy
05-01-19, 12:23
I have trouble finding a really good burger in AsiaI agree, it's difficult to find a good burger in Asia. In Jakarta, the burger at Chilis in Sarinah is very good, and the burger at BATS in Shangri-La hotel is very good (they close at 9 pm). In Bangkok, I think the burger at the Hooters in Nana is very good as well.

As far as fast food burgers, in Jakarta, FatBurger and Carl's Jr. Are not bad burgers.

Titleist19
05-03-19, 07:25
Nice to see this thread updated by some foodies. Best to take advantage of the great prices in Jakarta on some quality food. Anyone know a good Japanese place they have tried?

Thanks. When in Kuningan I go to the Outback Steakhouse nearby. Only Outack I've been to in SE Asia that was any good. I see Loewy is much cheaper but is the steak as good? My go to steak place in Jakarta is Holycow! Steakhouse. Cheap and tender US cuts.I'll have to try Outback, back home Outback is definitely not my first choice so I don't have much basis of comparison. I had the wagyu flank steak (170 k) at Loewy and thought it was very good, just a touch too rare. I've had some pretty awful steaks in Asia so I'm always a little hesitant to order. One thing I will note, compared to the west, is that there is a different scale of doneness in Asia. Its very bloody in Asia. So back home a medium rare might be equivalent to a medium or a even a medium well in Asia. I don't like my steaks too rare, so that adjustment is needed. Thanks also for the tip on Holycow.

I agree, it's difficult to find a good burger in Asia. In Jakarta, the burger at Chilis in Sarinah is very good, and the burger at BATS in Shangri-La hotel is very good (they close at 9 pm). In Bangkok, I think the burger at the Hooters in Nana is very good as well.

As far as fast food burgers, in Jakarta, FatBurger and Carl's Jr. Are not bad burgers.I'm a sucker for a good burger, just hard to find. Thanks for the suggestions, I've been to that Chilis at Sarinah, but didn't have the burger, nor do I remember the food being all that great, but I should go try. If you get a chance, do go and try the black wagyu burger at Skye, it was delicious, just a bit small. Almost ordered two haha.

Banana Boi
05-04-19, 09:15
Anyone know a good Japanese place they have tried?Sushi Groove in Grand Indonesia mall as well as some of the other malls in Jakarta is very good. Huge menu selection. Good prices.

I always enjoy the beef gyudon at Yoshinoya and Sukiya or Marugame Udon for udon noodles. More like a fast food places but tasty. A few of each around Jakarta.

For AYCE Kintan Buffet is good.

Ichiban Sushi in Harris Vertu is ok. Nothing special but cheap and a good place to hit before Malio Club.

Of course there are more high end and likely better Japanese restaurants around. You can Google those but for the price difference imo not worth it.

Re. Outback. Don' go out of your way to eat there. I'm sure the places Smoothy mentioned are better. Agree with the steaks here. Medium rare can be really rare and there is no consistency on what is medium rare from place to place around Asia.

BenderOver
05-27-19, 22:56
I could suggest a couple in Central / South Jakarta. Ebeya at Ritz Carlton and La Posta in Sudirman are both fantastic. Since you mention the sauces, La Posta is particularly good.

Have never tried pho noodles in Jakarta. That said, would you fancy Bak Kut the? Pork ribs in clear peppery garlicky soup with some rice on the side? Song Fa has a couple of outlets in Jakarta, one that just next door to the Mercure Kota Jakarta Hotel.As a note, this is Ritz Carlton Pacific Place Blanquiceleste is referring to. The other Ritz Carlton at Mega Kuningan has Lupo which is also quite good. The two hotels are about 25 minutes apart from each other with no traffic.

Smoothy
05-31-19, 04:27
Sushi Groove in Grand Indonesia mall as well as some of the other malls in Jakarta is very good. Huge menu selection. Good prices.I used to like that Sushi Groove, but that one is now the worst in town. That particular one got new management and changed things up a few years ago and added a conveyor belt with items coming by you can grab. When that happened, somehow they managed to decrease the quality of their food. I ate at the Sushi Groove at Setiabudi building the other day and it was awesome. I'm done with the one at Grand Indonesia.

Right across the hall from the Sushi Groove in Setiabudi is a Salad Stop, but next to that is the most awesome gelato place in town. Gelato Secrets.

Smoothy
06-01-19, 02:42
I agree, it's difficult to find a good burger in Asia. In Jakarta, the burger at Chilis in Sarinah is very good, and the burger at BATS in Shangri-La hotel is very good (they close at 9 pm). I take this back. I ate at BATS last night and it is very mediocre now. I had the steak and my buddy had the burger, both were just ok. I wouldn't recommend it anymore.

Blanquiceleste
06-01-19, 04:13
I take this back. I ate at BATS last night and it is very mediocre now. I had the steak and my buddy had the burger, both were just ok. I wouldn't recommend it anymore.IMHO the burgers at Three Buns are really up there amongst the best in Jakarta. The restaurant is in Senopati. Definitely on the pricey side but well worth it. Nice atmosphere too.

Banana Boi
06-17-19, 08:04
I used to like that Sushi Groove, but that one is now the worst in town. That particular one got new management and changed things up a few years ago and added a conveyor belt with items coming by you can grab. When that happened, somehow they managed to decrease the quality of their food. I ate at the Sushi Groove at Setiabudi building the other day and it was awesome. I'm done with the one at Grand Indonesia.I think I started going to Sushi Groove because of you. Anyways, I went to the one at Taman Anggrek and the food was worse than the one at Grand Indonesia, except for the strawberry drink.

Smoothy
06-17-19, 13:40
I think I started going to Sushi Groove because of you. Anyways, I went to the one at Taman Anggrek and the food was worse than the one at Grand Indonesia, except for the strawberry drink.Yes, you probably did. Haha.

I haven't been to the one at Taman Anggrek. But if it's worse than Grand Indonesia, then I guess GI is not the worst in town. It's strange how some are good and others not as good. That one at Grand Indonesia used to be awesome before they put in that belt with the food rotating around the tables. Now that I think about it, the one at Setiabudi has served me some losers as well over the years. I guess it just depends on the chef that day. My last 3 times at Setiabudi have been excellent. I like the Salmon Flame Roll.

Smoothy
06-17-19, 13:43
IMHO the burgers at Three Buns are really up there amongst the best in Jakarta. The restaurant is in Senopati. Definitely on the pricey side but well worth it. Nice atmosphere too.I ate there once not long after it first opened. I thought the burgers were good, but I think there are better in Jakarta. From where I stay, that place is such a pain for me to get to so I only went the one time.

Smoothy
06-24-19, 03:23
In my opinion, the best Salmon Sashimi is at Zenbu. That restaurant also has quite a few other good dishes, but I'm a big Salmon Sashimi fan.

Koperen Klaas
07-22-19, 00:42
I read a lot of reports by people looking for the best sushi, the best burger, etc.

How about looking for good Indonesian food while you're in Jakarta?

Regards,

KO.

Smoothy
07-22-19, 12:02
I read a lot of reports by people looking for the best sushi, the best burger, etc.

Regards,

KO.You've been to Jakarta many times. No recommendations?

There are plenty of discussions about Indo food here if you scroll back. Here are a couple.

http://www.internationalsexguide.nl/forum/showthread.php?2451-Jakarta-Restaurants&p=1496107&viewfull=1#post1496107

http://www.internationalsexguide.nl/forum/showthread.php?2451-Jakarta-Restaurants&p=2069525&viewfull=1#post2069525

Irish Mongrel
07-22-19, 13:32

Regards,

KO.Been to Tugu Kunstkring Paleis a number of times. Certainly not the cheapest food in town, but have used it for a number of business dinners, so who cares when it's on expenses.

Maple Red
07-27-19, 08:19

Regards,

KO.I enjoyed Plataran Menteng in Jakarta. (https://www.plataran.com/venues-dining/plataran-menteng).

The restaurant advertises itself as "The Ultimate Elegance of Indonesian Dining". Personally, based on my limited experience, I found it to be a high-level restaurant with delicious food.

Blanquiceleste
07-28-19, 12:34

Regards,

KO.I am a fan of all those seafood joints in Ancol. Jimbaran Resto. Talaga Sampireun. Bandar Djakarta.

I am particularly fond of the Ikan Kakap Bakar with the spicy bumbu. Damn! Need to go back soon.

Smoothy
08-05-19, 04:48
In the past, I have thought it was overpriced and not delicious enough for the price. However, I have renewed faith in Ruth's Chris steakhouse in Jakarta. I ate there the other day and it was absolutely awesome.

Koperen Klaas
10-15-19, 16:54
You've been to Jakarta many times. No recommendations?

There are plenty of discussions about Indo food here if you scroll back. Here are a couple.

http://www.internationalsexguide.nl/forum/showthread.php?2451-Jakarta-Restaurants&p=1496107&viewfull=1#post1496107

http://www.internationalsexguide.nl/forum/showthread.php?2451-Jakarta-Restaurants&p=2069525&viewfull=1#post2069525.I even love the simple joints in shopping malls (with Pasaraya basement my current favourite) and roadside eateries. Beware of hygiene with the latter though. In Kalimantan I often went to a simple eatery in a pasar malam near my place of work. Pasars are often a great place to eat. In faraway places like Palangka Raya and Batam the streets light up with food stalls in the evening.

This is not to say that I don't love Italian food in Indonesia. Italians are just as fond of garlic as Indonesians. Last summer there was a light panic when there was a danger of a shortfall in garlic imports.

Enzo2019
10-16-19, 09:46
Was in Gun Powder yesterday on a date and the food and staff were both excellent, highly recommended if you like Indian food with a slight modern twist.

I've yet to find any satisfactory sushi here, definitely spoiled from numerous trips to Japan. All the O-Toro seems to be previously frozen and none of the restaurants could get the rice right. I've had better pre-made sushi at Japanese supermarkets than all I've had in Jakarta thus far.

Offshore Swell
10-20-19, 06:28
Was in Gun Powder yesterday on a date and the food and staff were both excellent, highly recommended if you like Indian food with a slight modern twist.

I've yet to find any satisfactory sushi here, definitely spoiled from numerous trips to Japan. All the O-Toro seems to be previously frozen and none of the restaurants could get the rice right. I've had better pre-made sushi at Japanese supermarkets than all I've had in Jakarta thus far.Sushi Masa in Penjaringan. Best Sushi / Sashimi in Jakarta. Fish all imported from Japan twice weekly. Expensive, very busy a lot of the time and excellent.

As an aside, the drive through Penjaringan to get there will illustrate to you, all the reasons why the new royal bar and cafe on the railway tracks nearby is cheap.

Hope that helps.

OS.

Porker
10-20-19, 06:58
Hello, grab food delivery was amazingly efficient in July of this year in Batam, North Jakarta and Bali. The choices I saw were from mostly chain restos / fast food, but the app ordering price was the same as the onsite menu price and the delivery "fee" was always a whopping 5000 rupiah, like 30 cents?

At about noon at Wendy's at Mangga Dua Square, the mall underneath Novotel, we saw close to a dozen Grab ojek drivers arriving to pick up orders.

5000 rp for delivery fee is obviously currently a loss leader without Grab getting some mass kickback from the resto making the food, but enjoy it while it lasts?

Porker
10-20-19, 07:59
Hello, I paid 700,000 for 2 pax on a midweek night in July of this year, without any alcoholic beverage promo. There was no truly outstanding dish there, meat quality was barely decent, but eat all you can has value built in for hungry westerners.

This was a disappointment from legendary feasts from a decade past, but probably smarter from the corporate stake.

Smoothy
11-14-19, 06:27
The Hooters in Jakarta is going out of business. Such a shame. There was a lot of potential to make that place a success in Jakarta. But it was incompetently managed from day one, so I'm not surprised. When it first opened, it was completely packed, but they didn't have enough cooks so it took forever for the food to arrive. My first visit there it took 2 hours for my chicken wings to arrive to my table after I ordered them. It pissed everyone off to the point they never wanted to come back.

Thampi62
12-25-19, 13:41
Hi friends,

Any recommendation from the menu in Joni steak. Tenderloin steak is highlighted in menu. And seems to be cheap also.

Thampi62
12-25-19, 13:44
The Hooters in Jakarta is going out of business. Such a shame. There was a lot of potential to make that place a success in Jakarta. But it was incompetently managed from day one, so I'm not surprised. When it first opened, it was completely packed, but they didn't have enough cooks so it took forever for the food to arrive. My first visit there it took 2 hours for my chicken wings to arrive to my table after I ordered them. It pissed everyone off to the point they never wanted to come back.Hooters in Pattaya is also facing the same problem.

Member #4698
12-25-19, 14:09
The Hooters in Jakarta is going out of business. RIP Hooters Makati and now Hooters CGK. Yeah! I am rooting for BKK closings too. What can I say? I hate the concept in Asia.

In America I don't give a shit. Hooters USA is just another very average chain brand Hamburger/Chicken Wings restaurant. I prefer Duffys in the same class.

Banana Boi
12-25-19, 15:30
Any recommendation from the menu in Joni steak. Tenderloin steak is highlighted in menu. And seems to be cheap also.DO NOT go to Jonisteak expecting a thick juicy steak. It's a thinly cut piece of meat that is overcooked because it's so thin. I remember going to Jonisteak the first time and seeing a wagyu steak on the menu for like $8 US. Alarms were going off saying TGTBT but I still ordered it. If you want a half decent real steak near a place like Classic there is Holycow! Within walking distance. There are several around the city. About $20 US for a US Tenderloin. Steak is cooked consistent to your order. There is wagyu for a few dollars more and Aussie beef for a few dollars less.

The food at Jonisteak is generally decent. Eaten there many times after a session at Classic. Don't expect 5 star quality food keeping in mind most dishes at Jonisteak are $3 or $4 USD.

As for Hooters, food sucks in America so why would I ever eat at one in Asia.

Smoothy
12-25-19, 16:24
Hooters USA is just another very average chain brand Hamburger/Chicken Wings restaurant. I prefer Duffys in the same class.Switching to some restaurants in the USA.

In my opinion, Duffys is not in the same category as Hooters. Hooters has hot scantily dressed girls, Duffy's does not. Duffys is more similar to Gators Dockside. I think Hooters in the USA has the best tasting chicken wings in the world. They may not have the most meat on the bone on their wings, but the taste is phenomenal. Duffys wings are similar to the wings at Gator's dockside as they both have very good and meaty, but those wings don't taste as good as the Hooters wings. Both Duffy's and Gators are overall better restaurants than Hooters for food, but not for girls. Then again, the girls are hotter at Twin Peaks, but I don't particularly care for the wings at Twin Peaks. Twin Peaks does have a pretty good cuban sandwich. The Tilted Kilt used to have hot girls as well, but they closed that in our area.

Brickhouse Tavern has hot girls and pretty good food as well. So does Bombshells. http://www.4bombshells.com/.

Hooters wings in Asia are terrible. I'm not sure why. But the hamburgers at the Hooters Nana are pretty good.

Hooters in Jakarta would have been smarter opening in a location other than where they did. But with the manager they sent to Jakarta, they were likely going to fail anyway. That Canadian guy was clueless.

Thampi62
12-26-19, 06:00
If you want a half decent real steak near a place like Classic there is Holycow! Within walking distance. There are several around the city. About $20 US for a US Tenderloin. Steak is cooked consistent to your order. There is wagyu for a few dollars more and Aussie beef for a few dollars less.

The food at Jonisteak is generally decent.Thanks BB for the information. Will definitely try US Tenderloin from Holycow. Thought Holycow in South. So it is a chain.Information is power.

Will explore Jonisteak too.

Enjoy food. Regards.

McAdonis
01-15-20, 00:46
I stayed near Classic, so all of the places I ate were in vicinity. But next time I would venture out further. Places I tried were:

Rumah Makan Medan Baru, Padang style, which is small plates, like tapas or dim sum.

Pondok Laguna, fish grilled to perfection, but grilled lobster not nearly as impressive.

Bakso Rusuk Samanhudi, 24 hour noodle place across street from classic, sometimes food tastes better than it when dining middle of the night, oxtail is cheap add-on and much better than the meatball.

Mie Alip, noodle place but seemed in between street vendor and sit down restaurant, definitely Chinese influence.

Wherever I travel, I prefer to eat at least 90 percent of my meals local cuisine. If there is a large immigrant community, then I will probably try that cuisine as well. So I will eat Mexican when in California, Indian or Polish in UK, Turkish when in Germany, or Georgian when in Kiev. If I am dining with someone else, then of course I will try to compromise. If I am staying an extended period like a month, I will also, of course, rotate cuisines.

Smoothy
01-16-20, 04:29
Been to Holy Cow. Cut of US meat was ok but the sauces need some work. We at at Holy Cow yesterday. Not bad at all for the price.

BJtemp
01-24-20, 12:37
I find very few things appetizing in Indonesia. Jonisteak is my place to go when I am there; often I eat there every night.

I think most steaks are not the meat cut they are labeled. I had rib eye once and it tasted more like chuck steak. I eventually settled on the wagyu steak. I have doubts about whether it is actually wagyu (just seems too cheap to be); but at least the meat is pretty tender.