PDA

View Full Version : Nibu Raphael in Costa Rica - Extracts

Nibu Raphael
10-01-06, 00:00
Thread Starter.

Prolijo
11-11-06, 13:39
info on swingers and nude beaches in costa rica?

like most catholic latin american countries cr is not really a swinger or nude beach location. certainly not like a beach destination like rio. if they have any nude beaches it would be because they're mostly deserted and you can get away with it.

how to stay safe in san jose

(where i heard its a lot more dangerous for mongers with more assaults and robberies)

i think sj has that widespread image for mongers because there are lot more mongers (and tourists in general) here than in some of the other places that are really much more dangerous. when something happens to a tourist it gets much more widespread reporting in the various forums back home. of course the dangers are going to be amplified if you go out later at night and/or you've been drinking heavily and/or you're an obvious gringo (meaning you probably have a lot more money on you than would a local) and/or you're in gringo gulch (meaning you're a gringo who's buying up the local pussy with your wads of us dollar and thus probably have even moremoney on you than many other gringos). the coca cola bus area where your cheapie hotel is probably located is another area that is probably even more dangerous than the gulch after dark (and sometimes even during the day when pickpockets abound). how to stay safe? the usual rules apply. if you really don't know this after all your travels around latin america, i feel sorry for you and can't help you. some basics that help:

don't stumble around drunk.

don't walk around alone after dark, if at all possible find a wingman to help watch each others back.

don't carry any more cash than you need which means if you're planning to pick up a girl and bring her back to your room leave the cash back in your room safe.

avoid large suspicious groups of people if you're walking around.

avoid passing by dark doorways or alleyways.

if walking after dark in particular trouble prone areas, such as the gulch, don't be cheap and pay the $1-2 for a cab even if its a relatively short distance

how the atms work in costa rica and how i can use my mastercard debit card in costa rica for this?

again, no different really then elsewhere in much of latin america, so not sure why you need to ask. the atm's themselves are all a little different. some are in enclosed booths which add a little security but you still gotta walk out so don't use them at night and try to have a wingman with you. a new wrinkle is isolated reports of hidden scanning devices being attached to the machines which can copy your card info. frankly, if you have the time i'd recommend you go inside the bank and use a teller to exchange your cash.

if any police do shakedwowns to gringos at all?

rarely, but always carry a copy of your passport photo page and page with date of entry stamp and leave your actual passport back in your safe. the only time you might need your actual passport would be to exchange money at a bank and i'm not even sure if your dl and the passport photocopy wouldn't suffice for that.

how to stay safe from the **** girls especially in san jose? info on the sw scene by the coca cola sign too?

first of all, there is no coca cola sign? coca cola refers to an area in downtown sj where there used to be a coke bottling plant. like with many landmark reference points that are still used in cr, it is long gone. not bothering with sw in cr is the best way to stay safe from **** girls. for that matter, it also cuts down your risk of getting a tv, drug addict or thief. most sw's are skanky anyway and the ones that aren't are even more likely to fall into one of the above categories. for what it costs in the bars, mp's and clubs the amount you'd save on a cr sw isn't worth the added risk. or put another way, if you're so bottom end that you need to go with a sw in cr to save money you should be mongering in another country.

if skanky women are your thing you can get laid at one of the pensiones on calle 6 for under $10. $20 will buy you an hour with better looking women at one of the tico mp's like oasis. the "gringo" mp's, like new fantasy and zona blue, will charge twice that but are more comfortable and have more amenities. i call them gringo mp's because they only attract gringos and wealthy ticos but i'm guessing if you're talking about sw's even those $40 mp's are beyond your price point. the blue marlin will be even further. the asking price there is $100/hr. i know i don't even have to tell you not to pay it but many other gringos foolishly do. if you go there you can nearly always bargain them down substantially. $40 is not undoable if you've got any fishing skills. regular ticas, ie not streetwalkers, are also possible depending how smooth you are and your spanish skills for anywhere from the price of a meal for a real non-pro to as much as you're willing to pay (or "donate" for her bambinos) for a semi-pro.

Dodger Bulldog
09-13-07, 04:16
Finally do Costa Early next year but I need info like I said on Cheap Hotels
Nibs,

This hotel is downtown and only costs $15 per night.

I haven't stayed there myself so I can't vouch for it, but I have heard it's not bad:

http://www.hotelnuevojohnson.com/

DB

Prolijo
09-13-07, 04:41
I stayed at the Nuevo Johnson a little over 3 weeks ago and, even though they had changed the website to say $15/nt a while back, they still only charged me $10. That's still a little more than $5-7/nt but about as low as you'll probably find in SJ. Even the shared dormitory rooms at the backpacker hostels cost at least $9-10 and you can't very well bring any chicas back to one of those. And dives like the Hotel Asia cost $10. The Nuevo Johnson is nothing fancy but the rooms are clean, secure and decent sized, with fan and cable TV with remote and private bath. And there is plenty of cheap places to eat a half a block away at the Central Mercado. Personally, I only stay there when I'm catching an early bus and not planning to bring back any chicas.

Prolijo
09-13-07, 14:17
Nibu, glad to hear you're getting help and sorry to hear about your website membership problems. That's why I rarely join any of those type sites.

As for the hotels. CR IS more expensive than the other C.A. countries but cheap places like what you have in mind CAN still be found. SJ, like any capital city, will be a bit harder than finding someplace dirt cheap in some little backwater town. And downtown SJ harder still. There are a lot of cheap hole in the walls around the Coca Cola terminals and the Central Market, maybe even some as cheap as what you're looking for, but they'd probably be too scary for me (and you're the one worried about the buses, which don't scare me at all), with rooms rented out by the hour on the other side of the paper thin wall, scuzzy hookers, crackheads, drunks and junkies as next door neighbors, not to mention the rats and bugs that probably run across your floor once you turn out the lights. For just a few dollars more, I'd rather stay at someplace like the Nuevo Johnson, which I never imagined I'd ever promote as a more luxurious alternative for someplace else. You could also try to find something in outlying barrios like Desamparados or Zapote, but I wouldn't know much about what they have in those local neighborhoods.

Admin
05-10-08, 22:23
Greetings Everyone,

Several weeks ago I was compelled by the torrent of pointless bullshit in all the Nibu Raphael threads to limit him to posting only actionable information and/or factual accounts of his personal mongering experiences. He has specifically not been permitted to use the forum to page long-lost friends, announce his future travel ambitions, accuse other forum members of criminal conduct, ask questions, make pointless comments, offer political opinions or launch into personal rants.

Oh yes, he has also been required to follow the Forum's Posting Guidelines.

My guess was that he couldn't do it because he is all talk and no information. It would appear that I was right.

Anyway, I undertook to review the 94 posts in this thread, and I subsequently extracted 4 posts that actually provided something of value, none of which were actually contributed by Nibu.

Thanks,

Jackson

Nibu Raphael
10-24-11, 02:31
Hi Guys looks like I should be back in Central America for a few months in early 2012, Should be arrivving via Managua Nicaruaga. Should even hit Panama for a little while.

Alright coming from Nica to CR how is it like too on the bus? Are there lot of checkpoints on the way? Hope it aint long like when coming and going from Panama to CR. Anyways that info I need there for sure. Just would like to have no hassles on that part.

Alright in San Jose I might stay at the normal place for 7 and a half 8 bucks that I stayed at before or look for some places temporarily for 10 dollars until I can maybe hook up staying at some friends places. That I will try my best.

Before I go I can't figure out the buses or how to get to these massage places in San Jose. Even the red light district by coca cola I had a very hard time finding any updates on that and all. That would rule, Looks like This will happen for sure.

I wait for info here, Sincerly, Nibu.

D Cups
07-02-12, 14:01
Hi Nibu, I know you are a big boob hound like me. Have you seen any chi chis muy grande in San Jose or Jaco? Gracias!

Hi Guys looks like I should be back in Central America for a few months in early 2012, Should be arrivving via Managua Nicaruaga. Should even hit Panama for a little while.

Alright coming from Nica to CR how is it like too on the bus? Are there lot of checkpoints on the way? Hope it aint long like when coming and going from Panama to CR. Anyways that info I need there for sure. Just would like to have no hassles on that part.

Alright in San Jose I might stay at the normal place for 7 and a half 8 bucks that I stayed at before or look for some places temporarily for 10 dollars until I can maybe hook up staying at some friends places. That I will try my best.

Before I go I can't figure out the buses or how to get to these massage places in San Jose. Even the red light district by coca cola I had a very hard time finding any updates on that and all. That would rule, Looks like This will happen for sure.

I wait for info here, Sincerly, Nibu.