PDA

View Full Version : Real vs Dollar and other currency issues

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8

Oralover
10-04-11, 00:02
The temporary spike lasted only a week, per xe:

1. 00 USD = 1. 80500 BRL1. 805 is still up from where it was a month ago.

But today XE is posting 1. 892

Bubba Boy
11-23-11, 17:26
Hitting 1. 86, can we see 2. 0? If the Euro Governments can't get their shit together quickly! First time in a long time I am happy holding the US peso!

Member #4156
11-26-11, 00:25
Hitting 1. 86, can we see 2. 0? If the Euro Governments can't get their shit together quickly! First time in a long time I am happy holding the US peso!Don't worry, its coming:

http://www.brasileconomico.com.br/noticias/dolar-pode-chegar-a-r-240-com-fuga-de-capitais-diz-slj_109626.html

Erectus Indicus
12-03-11, 21:17
A rather silly question but would anyone know and be able to post the going rate for GBP in the cambios in Rio? With the current interbank rate hovering at 2. 79 and me pissed off with the bank charges incurred due to daily limit, transaction limit etc, I want to avoid/reduce using ATMs this time. Any info would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

Erectus Indicus
12-03-11, 21:51
To get the current and up-to-date exchange rates use xe. Com. It's always accurate and will give you the exchange rates from any country for any other country. Not sure what bank you use but many banks have partnerships with other banks around the world. For example, I have my account at Bank of America. I travel and live in China part of the year and also go to Central / South America and Asia for work. BofA's partner bank in China is China Construction Bank, in Central America / South America they partner with ScotiaBank, and in Europe they partner with Paribas BNP. I can use any of those banks with no international fees whatsoever. Like I said, not sure what bank you have but you might want to contact them and ask. Most have that information on their websites also. It saves a ton of money for exchange fees and you don't have to carry a lot of money on you.Thanks Vielendank for the quick reply (many thanks.) I use XE / Oanda as well. I use the Brazilian arm of the bank I bank with at home and still get hit with charges, it depends on the bank I guess. And yes, the charges are supposed to be levied. However the ATMs have a limit of 500R$ per transaction and I have a daily limit of 300 GBP and so I have to do multiple transactions and hence multiple charges. Not to mention an over-active anti-fraud system, so it was go-to-ATM- card blocked- E. T. Call home- Card unblocked process every single fucking time for the last trip.

Most of the posts here are about changing USDs and usually Pounds / Euros would also be accepted at the cambios. Just wanted to get the current exchange rate at the cambios to weigh the benefits against the risk of carrying lot of money.

Erectus Indicus
12-09-11, 12:09
Managed to get 2. 85 BRL / GBP when XE. Com mid-market prices were 2. 80 yesterday afternoon in Copa. In comparison, my bank gave 2. 76.

Though the current rate is 2. 85, I wonder how they could offer that yesterday. Let's see how much they offer in the coming days.

Bubba Boy
12-09-11, 13:19
Anyone can up their daily withdrawl limit simply by calling their bank. Most banks set the default rate small, like $500 per day, but a simple call can get that doubled to $1000. If you really need more cash, just get 2 cards with $1000 each, that will get you close to R$3500 per day, should be enough for even the heaviest Terma user!

If you want to move a lot of cash into Brazil and don't want to go through the ATM's or the cental bank (expensive) , then setup a relationship with a local cambio. Cambios operate in the grey economy. They assist people in moving large amounts of money in and out of the country.

As an aside, when there is a large economic crisis in Brazil or other Latin America countries, how do you think the money leaves the country despite tight FX controls by the Cental Banks? The answer Cambios. They have bank accounts in the US and in Europe. People deposit funds into those offshore bank accounts and then pick up the Reals in Brazil, to get money into the country. Likewise when you want to get money out of the country you give them Reals, in cash and they wire you the funds from their offshore banks accounts. The Cambios move Billions of dollars per year in and out of the country.

I would not do this with any cambio, you need to know the owner and have a relationship with him to be sure both sides of the transactions will be completed.

Erectus Indicus
12-10-11, 17:09
Anyone can up their daily withdrawl limit simply by calling their bank. Most banks set the default rate small, like $500 per day, but a simple call can get that doubled to $1000. If you really need more cash, just get 2 cards with $1000 each, that will get you close to R$3500 per day, should be enough for even the heaviest Terma user!

If you want to move a lot of cash into Brazil and don't want to go through the ATM's or the cental bank (expensive) , then setup a relationship with a local cambio. Cambios operate in the grey economy. They assist people in moving large amounts of money in and out of the country.

As an aside, when there is a large economic crisis in Brazil or other Latin America countries, how do you think the money leaves the country despite tight FX controls by the Cental Banks? The answer Cambios. They have bank accounts in the US and in Europe. People deposit funds into those offshore bank accounts and then pick up the Reals in Brazil, to get money into the country. Likewise when you want to get money out of the country you give them Reals, in cash and they wire you the funds from their offshore banks accounts. The Cambios move Billions of dollars per year in and out of the country.

I would not do this with any cambio, you need to know the owner and have a relationship with him to be sure both sides of the transactions will be completed.Thanks Bubba Boy. My needs are rather normal, max 1000 Reais a days is good enough for me. I did some work for a FX company a few years back and the rule is the customer always get the a certain percentage lower than the prevailing interbank rate. Your explanation and the term 'grey economy' explained why a business would operate this way. Works for me!

Exec Talent
02-28-12, 21:58
The exchange rate went below 1. 70 today and oil dropped but is still over $106 which will result in higher airfares.

Eric Cartman
02-29-12, 04:13
the exchange rate went below 1. 70 today and oil dropped but is still over $106 which will result in higher airfares.my business got butt-raped by a supposedly good cambio on nossa senhora (near the odeon) giving us 1. 85 to buy usd, when the xe and central bank rates were 1. 70. 1.75. would have been better to use our bank. and that was with changing r$7000.

Amerioca
02-29-12, 05:50
my business got butt-raped by a supposedly good cambio on nossa senhora (near the odeon) giving us 1. 85 to buy usd, when the xe and central bank rates were 1. 70. 1.75. would have been better to use our bank. and that was with changing r$7000.is your business new? do you not have a steady cambio for exchange purposes?

when moving above average amounts, i have always found the cambios in centro with better rates vs. zona sul.

Esperma
03-07-12, 07:24
Casa Behar near Pres. Vargas and Ave Rio Branco always has good rates.

I learned a hard lesson on the last trip, never expect to find an open cambio after 5pm on a holiday or weekend. Even the Marriot in Copa would not change money.

HungryStud101
03-08-12, 01:32
Casa Behar near Pres. Vargas and Ave Rio Branco always has good rates.

I learned a hard lesson on the last trip, never expect to find an open cambio after 5pm on a holiday or weekend. Even the Marriot in Copa would not change money.I just changed money at the Marriot there two weeks ago. They did take out the money machine and the exchange rate was not good. I think it was 1. 65 and the Citi Bak ATM was 1. 71. The best exchange rate I got was at Sugerloaf. 1.80

Sperto
03-08-12, 06:28
I agree with Esperma that Casa Behar gives good rates.

Just before New Year I was going to change Euro. In Copa the casa de cambios gave rates about 2,35.
I took a metro to Carioca. On Rio Branco I got rates 2,4. Moved on and got 2,45. Finally I reached my destination, Casa Behar, and got 2,5.

The extra-money I earned by leaving Copa and head to Casa Behar was quite a lot. Equal to 7,5 sessions in Tijuca.

Kid Cisco
03-14-12, 15:42
I had to exchange dollars into reals at the airport in the states I got 1. 53 + $9. 90 service change (I know I know the worst place in the world to exchange) I just needed taxi fare I wasn't about to drag 4 large oversized bags on and off some AirCon. Bus to save a few reals when I had thousands on me more than many locals make a year. So I had to take one. BUT I made up for it by saving in other areas I normally save 40+ reals for my next trip to Rio..but since this will be my last trip to Rio I am not saving anymore reals besides I been going to other places around the world to many to even start to name..

Like I said before I won't be posting a trip report. On the open forum out of MUCH respect for the site owner Mr. Jackson ( I won't and don't want be a disrupted force on HIS site) so I won't be posting on the open forum I just notice it been almost week since the last update on exchange rates in USA dollars. I went to some termas so since I won't be posting about them and this will be my last post for the time being if anyone want my take on the termas I went to so far or care to hear about Tier 1 Termas from a different and honest point of view just PM me for my take like others have PM me many things have changed since I been here 2 years ago hell many things have changed since I started coming to Brazil since the late 70's ... Sorry I am a lone wolf and don't drink so I won't getting drunk or having drinks with anyone or hanging out with guys I don't know and never met before besides I never monger in a pack. So don't PM me to hang out. I like to keep it real and don't won't to waste anyone time nor mines.

Peace,

Kid Cisco

Sperto
03-14-12, 18:26
The next time I'll try to change money at the Rul Sul mall...

Rio Bob
03-14-12, 18:48
I am on the ground now the rul sul mall gave me 1. 80.

Kid CiscoWell at least you didn't get ripped off too bad:

Bubba Boy
03-14-12, 20:48
well at least you didn't get ripped off too bad:unfortunately that is the price brazilians pay when they need to pay all oversees bills etc, they just get completely ripppppppeeeddddd

Amerioca
03-16-12, 06:18
my business got butt-raped by a supposedly good cambio on nossa senhora (near the odeon) giving us 1. 85 to buy usd, when the xe and central bank rates were 1. 70. 1.75. would have been better to use our bank. and that was with changing r$7000.btw, did you send a brazilian to exchange the monies?

Genio Della
03-17-12, 00:12
Hi Sperto.

Did I read well?

You changed euros for reals at 2, 5?

But it's been a while that the change doesn't go over 2, 4.

Maybe I misunderstood.

I agree with Esperma that Casa Behar gives good rates.

Just before New Year I was going to change Euro. In Copa the casa de cambios gave rates about 2, 35.

I took a metro to Carioca. On Rio Branco I got rates 2, 4. Moved on and got 2, 45. Finally I reached my destination, Casa Behar, and got 2, 5.

The extra-money I earned by leaving Copa and head to Casa Behar was quite a lot. Equal to 7, 5 sessions in Tijuca.

Sperto
03-17-12, 08:04
Hi Sperto.

Did I read well?

You changed euros for reals at 2, 5?

But it's been a while that the change doesn't go over 2, 4.

Maybe I misunderstood.
You read well.
As I wrote the cambio was: 1 Euro=2,5 R$.
This was at Casa Behar the 29:th of December 2011.

Mangera
03-23-12, 12:26
Yesterday the dollar fetched 1. 83R. The last couple of weeks have been incredible. Basically from 1. 65R to 1. 83R Would it not be awesome if it hit 2 to 1 again? Even so, it would only alleviate the hit of so many things which have gone up in price. Food, clothes, drinks, pussy! I really doubt it will go much higher.

Kid Cisco
03-23-12, 14:31
Yesterday the dollar fetched 1. 83R. The last couple of weeks have been incredible. Basically from 1. 65R to 1. 83R Would it not be awesome if it hit 2 to 1 again? Even so, it would only alleviate the hit of so many things which have gone up in price. Food, clothes, drinks, pussy! I really doubt it will go much higher.Mangera,

Yes, it look like I planned my trip at the right time I been buying up Reals left and right and using them to pay for everything like you said the prices of things have gone up a lot but as far as your Taxi fares in rush hours to Termas across town it pays off.

I haven't seen to many Americans since I been down here compared to other times when the reals vs dollar was better ... I have been enjoying myself here since I been here last time all the termas have had some major turnover many girls have told me tricks have been wifey up these girls left and right bringing them back to the states but there are still some nice ones here to be had.

Keep the PM's coming I will answer them all.

Kid Cisco

Esperma
04-05-12, 06:53
I agree with Esperma that Casa Behar gives good rates.I was at Casa Behar twice last week, the spread betwen buy and sell on USD was just 1. 82 vs 1. 84.

I have noticed a lot of BR people coming in to sell US dollars. I do not know why people are in Centro selling USD. Anybody explain this, and you get the diamond piru award. I am not aware of anyone in Centro accepting payment in USD except for refundable apartment deposits. I remember a better day, but today the dollar is not well accepted. Too much hassle, for the newly 'wealthy' Brasilians to exchange.

Exec Talent
04-05-12, 08:28
I was at Casa Behar twice last week, the spread betwen buy and sell on USD was just 1. 82 vs 1. 84.

I have noticed a lot of BR people coming in to sell US dollars. I do not know why people are in Centro selling USD. Anybody explain this, and you get the diamond piru award. I am not aware of anyone in Centro accepting payment in USD except for refundable apartment deposits. I remember a better day, but today the dollar is not well accepted. Too much hassle, for the newly 'wealthy' Brasilians to exchange.With certain "goods" dollars are still the preferred currency.

Sperto
04-05-12, 10:00
I have noticed a lot of BR people coming in to sell US dollars. I do not know why people are in Centro selling USD. Anybody explain this, and you get the diamond piru award. I am not aware of anyone in Centro accepting payment in USD except for refundable apartment deposits. I remember a better day, but today the dollar is not well accepted. Too much hassle, for the newly 'wealthy' Brasilians to exchange.
Centro in Rio is the commercial district. Lots of business are made in centro. There are for sure large amounts of US$ and Euro being sold and bought every day. Not to mention all the brazilian tourists who travel all over the world.
Imagine if the casa de cambios only relied on american tourists...
I accept a diamond xoxota.

Mangera
04-18-12, 21:29
Today it hit 1. 87R

HelpRules
04-19-12, 06:10
I haven't been to Rio in almost 2 years. With the rate creeping up, can someone on the ground tell me what the exchange rate needs to be to go to 4x4 and get a 40 minute room, girl, and entrance fee for 100. 00. We can deduct the entrance fee for being early after, but lets concentrate on what it will be for the average guy who goes at night.

Sperto
04-19-12, 08:20
I haven't been to Rio in almost 2 years. With the rate creeping up, can someone on the ground tell me what the exchange rate needs to be to go to 4x4 and get a 40 minute room, girl, and entrance fee for 100. 00. We can deduct the entrance fee for being early after, but lets concentrate on what it will be for the average guy who goes at night.
That was a hard calculation. ;)
R$250/US$100=2,5

HelpRules
04-19-12, 08:56
I wonder if we will get there. I am praying to god everyday.

Golfinho
04-19-12, 10:37
I was at Casa Behar twice last week, the spread betwen buy and sell on USD was just 1. 82 vs 1. 84.

I have noticed a lot of BR people coming in to sell US dollars. I do not know why people are in Centro selling USD. Anybody explain this, and you get the diamond piru award.Backlog. They've just been holding USD waiting for the rates to improve. Always best when you can change with a Brazilian and cut out the middleman.

Reminds me when back in the days before the real, Brazilians were always asking to exchange in order to hold the harder currency.

Java Man
05-02-12, 18:08
As I post this:

1. 00 USD = 1. 92351 BRL

Esperma
05-03-12, 07:14
Backlog. They've just been holding USD waiting for the rates to improve. Always best when you can change with a Brazilian and cut out the middleman.

Reminds me when back in the days before the real, Brazilians were always asking to exchange in order to hold the harder currency.Then, the best idea is to stand at the stairway to Casa Behar in Centro and ask every guy, voce quer dolares?

The good old days. I think they come back. I am not seeing anything in Brasil that looks like anything more than speculation. Education seems on the rise. But they do not control admissions tighly enough to keep the numbers down and salaries high. There is distrust that is inconducive to business success, too many layers of anti-corruption checks make them incredibly slow and inefficient. Too many holidays off, draining corporate accounts, paying people to do nothing. It is still an commodity based economy, when the more advanced nations are in a knowledge based economy. So, Africans finally come to iundercut Brasil on commodity pricing, and our good exchange rate will return!

HelpRules
05-14-12, 15:07
I'm shocked. No posts about the rate about to hit the big 2.0!

We hit 2. 5 and it's back to Brazil baby!

Java Man
05-15-12, 23:38
Per xe. Com.

1. 00 USD = 2. 00140 BRL.

As I post this

Ejam06
05-19-12, 01:10
Per xe. Com.

1. 00 USD = 2. 00140 BRL.

As I post thisI'm heading back Babe!

I a ticket for $823. From Brazilianexpress. Com

Rio Bob
05-20-12, 01:18
I'm shocked. No posts about the rate about to hit the big 2. 0!

We hit 2. 5 and it's back to Brazil baby!It could be because we have been here before, world stock markets selling off, people go to the dollar for safety, the dollar goes up. This is May, sell in May and go away. Until when? A summer rally? This is a US Presidential election year, so if we have a summer rally then could be by end of August the markets are back up over the top and the dollar is down again. But I like the way you think. 2.5 would be nice but I'm not a finance guy and there can be many different factors that affect the dollar and real and maybe this time it might have nothing to do with the market sell off or rise and we can see 2. 5 or higher this year.

HelpRules
05-20-12, 15:27
The sad part is 2. 02 to 1 isn't nearly enough to make brazil affordable yet. Don't worry, these latin american countries always find a way to trash their currency given enough time. The dollar will be trash one day, but we still have time before that day of reckoning. Basically, the dollar is the best house in Detroit.

ChrisDrug
05-22-12, 15:15
The exchange rate is boost to R$2. 05 toward 1US$ today. I'm thinking about waiting till it reaches 2. 10, so I can purchase up to R$9000 (under R$10K). During my next trip in Aug 2012, I can bring the Reals back to Brasil instead of the US currency. Is this a judicious move?

HelpRules
05-22-12, 22:24
It depends. In the long run the dollar is trash, but with europe blowing up, everyone is buying the dollar. Until europe is settled, the rate could easily go to 2. 5. I would wait for higher then 2. 10. The question is will you be able to buy at 2. 50 in August when you get back. I think so. Its only 3 months.

Eric Cartman
05-24-12, 09:02
I bought dollars about a week ago at a câmbio near Xavier the Silveira in copa for R$2. 04 which wasn't terrible.

Problem is, they gave me about $400 in pre Series 1996 bills. Whichi think are OK in the US but are not accepted for exchange to Baht here in Thailand. So heads up if you buy dollars to exchange outside the US. Insist on newer bills

Higher FX for the Real appears to be bringing people back to Rio judging by activity on that thread. But remember things are still very expensive in reais. A suco grande and turkey sandwich will set you back R$20 at Big Bi. Here in Thailand you can eat like a king for the equivalent.

Plus you visitors don't see day to day costs likelike electric bills or Internet access. Living a western lifestyle in zona sul will easily cost 2x as much as in Los Angeles or NY

LuvnLatinas
05-24-12, 12:46
Higher FX for the Real appears to be bringing people back to Rio judging by activity on that thread. But remember things are still very expensive in reais. A suco grande and turkey sandwich will set you back R$20 at Big Bi. Here in Thailand you can eat like a king for the equivalent.

Plus you visitors don't see day to day costs likelike electric bills or Internet access. Living a western lifestyle in zona sul will easily cost 2x as much as in Los Angeles or NYAnd don't even talk to me about rental prices for an apartment. I don't know how brazilians can afford them. Anything decent is well over 2k reals per month, not including utilities, condo fees, and the like. If you go outside Rio property prices are cheaper but then everything else is more expensive.

That's why I will come to visit but won't think about living here again for awhile.

Arizonan82
06-15-12, 20:19
And don't even talk to me about rental prices for an apartment. I don't know how brazilians can afford them. Anything decent is well over 2k reals per month, not including utilities, condo fees, and the like. If you go outside Rio property prices are cheaper but then everything else is more expensive.

That's why I will come to visit but won't think about living here again for awhile.Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo are the most expensive cities in Brazil and Latin America for that matter, especially real estate.

Rani2206
06-18-12, 13:07
Rio & SP are the most expensives cities ok! But I often go to fortaleza or porto alegre the difference is enormous!

HelpRules
10-10-12, 10:17
Looks like the exchange rate is creeping up. Whats the real world rate at the cambios.

Eric Cartman
10-11-12, 01:15
Looks like the exchange rate is creeping up. Whats the real world rate at the cambios.I'd guess 2. 10 to buy USD, and maybe 1. 99 to sell USD.

-Cartman

Java Man
10-11-12, 03:40
About 2 weeks ago the Rat Bastards gave me R2. 00 when official rate was R2. 02. This was at a cambio on N. S. Copacabana, near Copa Palace. Even sent a local to exchange it for me. I was exchanging USD.

Poucolouco
10-11-12, 17:58
About 2 weeks ago the Rat Bastards gave me R2. 00 when official rate was R2. 02. This was at a cambio on N. S. Copacabana, near Copa Palace. Even sent a local to exchange it for me. I was exchanging USD.There are actually three official exchange quotation rates, (1.) The Dólar Commercial is the one used in trade, imports, exports, and financial operations. This is a business rate not available to individuals. (2.) the Dólar Turismo exchange rate is applied to trading dollars for tourism purposes. This is the benchmark used by cambios to exchange dollars. (3.) the Dólar Paralelo is used in the black market. This rate is used by the guys that offer to exchange money at the airport. It is usually the best rate an individual can get. The rate at an ATM is generally slightly above the Tourism rate.

When you use an on-line currency converter such as.

http://www.XE.Com

You will get a quotation at the commercial rate. You will not be able to get this rate at a Cambio.

You can find the Tourism rate at these sites: UOL.

http://economia.uol.com.br/cotacoes/

Banco do Brasil.

http://cotacoes.agronegocios-e.com.br/investimentos/conteudoi.asp?option=dolar&title=

Dólar.

The Parallello rate can be found here:

http://www.viabrasilturismo.com/

Java Man
10-11-12, 21:42
There are actually three official exchange quotation rates, (1.) The Dólar Commercial is the one used in trade, imports, exports, and financial operations. This is a business rate not available to individuals. (2.) the Dólar Turismo exchange rate is applied to trading dollars for tourism purposes. This is the benchmark used by cambios to exchange dollars. (3.) the Dólar Paralelo is used in the black market. This rate is used by the guys that offer to exchange money at the airport. It is usually the best rate an individual can get. The rate at an ATM is generally slightly above the Tourism rate.

When you use an on-line currency converter such as.

http://www.XE.Com

You will get a quotation at the commercial rate. You will not be able to get this rate at a Cambio.

You can find the Tourism rate at these sites: UOL.

http://economia.uol.com.br/cotacoes/Thanks for the info and links Pouco. However, based on past experiences, I got slightly better than the commercial rate. (xe. Com) This time around, I went on the recommendation of an expat living in Brazil. Shoulda, woulda, coulda shopped around for a better rate. Also the amount exchanged influences the rate given, (based on my experiences.)

Exec Talent
10-12-12, 06:53
Thanks for the info and links Pouco. However, based on past experiences, I got slightly better than the commercial rate. (xe. Com) This time around, I went on the recommendation of an expat living in Brazil. Shoulda, woulda, coulda shopped around for a better rate. Also the amount exchanged influences the rate given, (based on my experiences.)One big influence overlooked in the stock answer is simply supply and demand.

The individual cambio could have received enough dollars that it didn't really need anymore. Also, there is the time of day. Early AM you should be looking at closing rates from the day before not the real-time rates.

As for the guys at the airport, the only time to us them is if you forgot to bring Reias to pay the taxi for the trip in from the airport and need a quick hundred. You also need to know the current rates and / or speak Portuguese otherwise they are going to low-ball you. Current trip in a couple friendly Cambios were offering higher rates by 5 Reias.

Erectus Indicus
10-17-12, 14:06
Was able to change at a rate of 3. 35 R$ per pound. This was while the mid-market rate on xe. Com was 3. 27.

Amex at the Marriott on Av. Atlantica quoted 3. 14 on Sunday after which I walked out quickly. The chubby clerk there was cute though.

A neighbour offered to change for 3. 2 before I told him the rates I got.

Poucolouco
10-25-12, 01:54
Guido Mantega, Brazil's finance minister, has admitted the government is closely controlling the level of its exchange rate, breaking with an earlier policy of allowing the market to determine the optimal level of its currency, the real.

'For us the ideal is a floating currency, without manipulation, ' Mr Mantega said in an interview with Valor Econômico. 'But if the whole world is going to manipulate their exchange rates, we will too. '

Brazil is operating a 'dirty float', in which it allows the currency to move within a tight band that economists estimate at about R$2, 00-R$2, 10 to the dollar, a practice common in other emerging markets, such as Colombia or China.

The nominal exchange rate, which in the first half of 2011 was at R$ 1, 63, on the average, climbed to R$ 1, 72 in the second half and reached R$ 1, 87 in the first half of this year. From May to September, the average price of the dollar was R$ 2, 02.

http://www.valor.com.br/brasil/2877654/mantega-admite-flutuacao-suja#ixzz2AGW0HaqZ

Java Man
01-31-13, 20:34
USD slipped below $R2 today. As I post this, xe. Com has it at $R1. 98954

Eric Cartman
02-01-13, 01:03
USD slipped below $R2 today. As I post this, xe. Com has it at $R1. 98954The conspiracy theory is that the Brazil gvt kept the Real weak vs the dollar through Christmas, easing up only after New Year (in January). Idea being to drive up Brazil exports through Q4, as well as to encourage summer tourism from the US and other economies / countries. Now that they relaxed their controls, Real is strengthening.

I'm glad I locked a contract FX value back on December 20!

Mangera
03-29-13, 17:40
Glad to know that even though the dollar dipped below 2 bucks earlier this month, it has returned to just over the 2 dollar mark again. Hopefuly this trend will continue or worse case scenario, hold this pattern for the next few months.

Mangera
05-29-13, 21:59
The dollar has hit the 2. 10R mark. Its been a while. Don't know why, buy hope it continues for the next few months.

Eric Cartman
05-30-13, 05:06
The dollar has hit the 2. 10R mark. Its been a while. Don't know why, buy hope it continues for the next few months.US economy in recovery (market up, housing up). Brazil economy at best "coasting" if not stalling. That's my guess. Remains to be seen if Brazil gvt will try to return to 2. 00 parity next week or so.

Mr Enternational
05-30-13, 08:30
US economy in recovery (market up, housing up). Brazil economy at best "coasting" if not stalling. That's my guess. Remains to be seen if Brazil gvt will try to return to 2. 00 parity next week or so.Its not just against the real. Of all the currencies I keep track of on my laptop and the app on my phone the dollar has been rocking and rolling in the last few days. Thai baht, Philippine pesos, Dominican pesos, Colombian pesos, Peruvian soles.

Mangera
05-30-13, 12:53
Its not just against the real. Of all the currencies I keep track of on my laptop and the app on my phone the dollar has been rocking and rolling in the last few days. Thai baht, Philippine pesos, Dominican pesos, Colombian pesos, Peruvian soles.Just noticed that Gold has dropped off a bit as well. Just a bit. But thats interesting.

Exec Talent
05-31-13, 22:22
US economy in recovery (market up, housing up). Brazil economy at best "coasting" if not stalling. That's my guess. Remains to be seen if Brazil gvt will try to return to 2. 00 parity next week or so.The only recovery taking place is fueled by stock manipulators. All you need to do is ask all the guys working two jobs making less than they did making one before how the economy is treating them.

Eric Cartman
06-01-13, 15:18
The only recovery taking place is fueled by stock manipulators. All you need to do is ask all the guys working two jobs making less than they did making one before how the economy is treating them.They raised the SELIC rate on Friday June 1 to 8 percent, after having been dropping it the last 9 months, so looks like Brazil is fighting the depreciation of the real vs. US$

Riofan6
06-01-13, 17:07
The only recovery taking place is fueled by stock manipulators. All you need to do is ask all the guys working two jobs making less than they did making one before how the economy is treating them.Au contraire! Just ask any of the deluded pollyannas in the current idealistic regime and they will tell you it's their utopian policies causing the "explosive" recovery in the economy.

Eric Cartman
06-04-13, 03:14
Official Brazil Central Bank PTAX rate hit 2.14 USD today!

HelpRules
06-04-13, 08:36
Official Brazil Central Bank PTAX rate hit 2.14 USD today!2. 14 isn't nearly enough when I read some of the prices of 4x4 and monte carlo. Kind of sad.

Azn Safado
06-21-13, 00:37
2. 14 isn't nearly enough when I read some of the prices of 4x4 and monte carlo. Kind of sad.Yikes, it just broke 2. 25. I haven't seen that rate since November 2008 when the US was having an economic crisis!

Nimpus
06-22-13, 00:26
Almost 3BRL for 1€ maybe I need to change some euro for preparing my next trip.

Tim Sellers
06-25-13, 05:53
Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Step 1 Open a registered company on paper with a bank account.

Step 2 Transfer rs150,000 to the company bank account.

Step 3 Apply for the permanent visa with proof of steps 1 and 2.

Poucolouco
06-25-13, 20:27
Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Step 1 Open a registered company on paper with a bank account.

Step 2 Transfer rs150, 000 to the company bank account.

Step 3 Apply for the permanent visa with proof of steps 1 and 2.You will have to do these three things and more, but not necessarily in that order. I suggest you visit your nearest Brasilian Consulate and talk to a representative. I also suggest you find a reputable Brasilian lawyer to help you with this process.

Mangera
07-16-13, 03:14
It is a casa de Cambio. Located on Rio branco. 45. It is right on the corner. Walk in and go to the second floor if you want to buy or sell dollars. I sold dollars today, and I got 2. 30R for every dollar. Great rate.

Don't forget to take your passport.

Rahsta
07-18-13, 20:22
It is a casa de Cambio. Located on Rio branco. 45. It is right on the corner. Walk in and go to the second floor if you want to buy or sell dollars. I sold dollars today, and I got 2. 30R for every dollar. Great rate.

Don't forget to take your passport.

Wow, 2.30 to 1. Thats nice.

Eric Cartman
07-19-13, 04:30
Wow, 2.30 to 1. Thats nice.I fucking paid R$2. 30 today to send money back to the US. Sent R$41. 000, 00 and got like $17K USD. Fucking bullshit. US economy needs to stumble again so my currency doesn't stay in the shitter!

Rahsta
07-19-13, 13:49
I fucking paid R$2. 30 today to send money back to the US. Sent R$41. 000, 00 and got like $17K USD. Fucking bullshit. US economy needs to stumble again so my currency doesn't stay in the shitter!I'm hoping it stays at 2. 30 to 1 or goes higher. I will be in Rio in October.

Rahsta
07-19-13, 13:57
I fucking paid R$2. 30 today to send money back to the US. Sent R$41. 000, 00 and got like $17K USD. Fucking bullshit. US economy needs to stumble again so my currency doesn't stay in the shitter!I'm hoping it stays at 2. 30 to 1 or goes higher. I will be in Rio in October.

Java Man
07-19-13, 15:11
Fluctuating, yesterday it was $1USD = $R2. 22. Today, as I type, it's $R2. 23, per XE. Com

Rahsta
07-19-13, 22:00
Fluctuating, yesterday it was $1USD = $R2. 22. Today, as I type, it's $R2. 23, per XE. ComIn Rio you will get a little more than 2. 23 for one dollar.

Noble Savage
07-28-13, 01:18
I fucking paid R$2.30 today to send money back to the US. Sent R$41.000, 00 and got like $17K USD. Fucking bullshit. US economy needs to stumble again so my currency doesn't stay in the shitter!The whole world's economys are our tied to ours, genius. We rebuilt your entire continent w / the Marshall plan and never were repaid. You'd all be goose-stepping were it not for us.

Poucolouco
07-29-13, 15:18
The whole world's economys are our tied to ours, genius. We rebuilt your entire continent w / the Marshall plan and never were repaid. You'd all be goose-stepping were it not for us.Are you sure you got your continents right? The Marshall Plan was established to rebuild the economies of Europe. Brasil is in South America.

BorussiaMG
07-31-13, 15:52
Almost 3BRL for 1€ maybe I need to change some euro for preparing my next trip.That's what I thought as well.

Carnival 2013:1€ 2.60 BRL.

At the moment: 1€ 3.04 BRL.

Time to change some euros for the next trip.

Eric Cartman
08-01-13, 02:18
The whole world's economys are our tied to ours, genius. We rebuilt your entire continent w / the Marshall plan and never were repaid. You'd all be goose-stepping were it not for us.My understanding is that the Marshall Plan applied only to Europe, not South America. I guess that goes hand in hand with the goose-stepping comment. Though there certainly are a lot of German-descent folks in Southern Brasil who may in fact walk that way or have walked that way in the past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Plan

Perhaps when you said "your entire continent" you thought I was European? I'm not. I'm American and I live in Brazil. I suppose my comical exasperation at being paid in Reais hit a nerve. That'll teach me. Hey on the bright side maybe your post-count will go up and you'll contribute to the board!

Java Man
08-01-13, 15:36
Dollar hit a high of $R2. 30 Tuesday. It hasn't been that high since March 2009. Brazilian Central Bank made some moves to try to lower it, but it only went to $R2. 28. Currently it's at $R2. 29 as I write this. Read elsewhere that more Dollars are leaving Brazil than coming in. Per reports in Ogloblo, it appears to me, the Central Bank is worried.

BorussiaMG
08-19-13, 07:52
The reais is weakening on a daily basis.

http://www.finanzen.net/devisen/euro-real-kurs

100 € are almost 320 R$. Amazing exchange rate; the best since over 4 years.

Obviously it is the same for my American friends. They'll get 2.40 R$ per American. Earlier this year it was more than 20% less.

I'm loving it and I certainly think about trading some € in reails for now.

Azn Safado
08-22-13, 20:22
Man, it hit 2. 45 Yesterday for the US to BRL rate! Amazing! I wonder if it can break 2. 50 which seems to be the next resistance level.

George90
08-23-13, 14:12
Man, it hit 2. 45 Yesterday for the US to BRL rate! Amazing! I wonder if it can break 2. 50 which seems to be the next resistance level.I noticed it this morning when I checked XE. Com.

Some financial gurus are saying that China's slowdown is causing it and it is not just Brazil. China has not been buying raw materials in 2013 the way it did in 2008. The countries that supplied it are now also in economic slumps. India's currency has also free fallen in recent months.

China's economy is expected to stay at 7-8% growth rates down from over 10% in prior years. So we may see the real continue to fall over the next several months. I'm hoping to see 3.0 against the USD in early 2014! However, even though a low real will help exports of Brazilian aircraft and help its tourism on the eve of the World Cup year, I wouldn't put it past its central bank to raise interest rates in an effort to shore up the currency. The rich in Brazil don't enjoy seeing their purchasing power of luxury condos in Miami dwindle so much so fast!

ForceSteeler
08-23-13, 16:17
I noticed it this morning when I checked XE. Com.

Some financial gurus are saying that China's slowdown is causing it and it is not just Brazil. China has not been buying raw materials in 2013 the way it did in 2008. The countries that supplied it are now also in economic slumps. India's currency has also free fallen in recent months.

China's economy is expected to stay at 7-8% growth rates down from over 10% in prior years. So we may see the real continue to fall over the next several months. I'm hoping to see 3. 0 against the USD in early 2014! However, even though a low real will help exports of Brazilian aircraft and help its tourism on the eve of the World Cup year, I wouldn't put it past its central bank to raise interest rates in an effort to shore up the currency. The rich in Brazil don't enjoy seeing their purchasing power of luxury condos in Miami dwindle so much so fast!Yeah I'm planning a trip for October, This Year is the perfect time to visit Brazil, I remember when I went in 2010, for every dollar you only got 1.80. Now its over 2.39, I really hope it drops and the central banks do not do to many interventions.

George90
08-23-13, 16:57
Well, it seems I posted too early. I should have read the news first.

CNN has an article on the very topic.

Brazil's central bank said Friday it will launch a $60 billion program to halt a slide in its currency, which has fallen in recent days to its lowest level since 2008.

With investors now pulling out, currencies in countries like India and Indonesia have touched fresh lows in recent days. Brazil's currency, the real, had been trading at around 2. 00 against the dollar as recently as April, but now stands at 2. 44.

The sudden decline in the real's value raises the prospect of further inflation, which is already racing above an annual rate of 6. And perilously close to the government's 6. 5% target ceiling.

Adding to worries, the country's Bovespa index has been among the world's worst performers, losing more than 15% of its value since January. The implosion of parts of Brazilian entrepreneur Eike Batista's industrial group has contributed to the stock market slide.

Michel47
08-28-13, 13:10
I need to exchange US $ in Real, please I need a good bank or exchange office in Jardins area (safe place!) , I will exchange around 2000$.

Thanks

Poucolouco
08-28-13, 18:06
I need to exchange US $ in Real, please I need a good bank or exchange office in Jardins area (safe place!) , I will exchange around 2000$.

ThanksI assume you are referring to Jardim Botanico. You can try the CitiBank on rua Jardim Botanico. It might be a good idea to call them first because all Citi Banks do not provide Cambio Service.

Houston Player
08-28-13, 21:47
Every large mall in Sao Paulo has a cambio. I've changed money many times and never had a problem. If you have a large amount to exchange you can tell the teller and they will usually let you in the back to exchange privately.

Also you should be aware that cash is not king in Sao Paulo like in Rio and other vacation spots. You will get a better rate at the ATMs that using cash.

Edited to add: Usually the cambios are in the travel agencies.

Java Man
08-29-13, 00:41
Well, it seems I posted too early. I should have read the news first.

CNN has an article on the very topic.

Brazil's central bank said Friday it will launch a $60 billion program to halt a slide in its currency, which has fallen in recent days to its lowest level since 2008.

With investors now pulling out, currencies in countries like India and Indonesia have touched fresh lows in recent days. Brazil's currency, the real, had been trading at around 2. 00 against the dollar as recently as April, but now stands at 2. 44.Whatever they did must be working, Dollar lost a dime in the last 5 days, it dropped to $R2. 34 today.

AltoBomGosto
08-29-13, 11:24

Thanks

Any major shopping center in São Paulo has a casa de cambio.

You have also a lot of them on Rua Dom José de Barros, Rua Sete de Abril and Av. São Luis.

Most of them are travel agencies. They normally pay you a liite bit better rate than the ones on shopping centers.

AltoBomGosto
08-29-13, 11:27
Any major shopping center in São Paulo has a casa de seeâmbio.

You have also a lot of them on Rua Dom José de Barros, Rua Sete de Abril and Av. São Luis. Most of them are travel agencies.And Banco do Brasil, Av. Paulista and Rua Augusta.

Michel47
09-01-13, 18:22
Last time in Sao Paulo I used my visa card at ATM of HSBC and after twice I can't take any money. A couple weeks after that I get a call from my bank who said my card has been clowned and to stop to use it, also another person get money from ATM (600$US). Many administative problems with that.

I will be in one week in Sao Paulo and how we can use safety credit card to have cash at ATM and to avoid this type of the problem.

Thank in advance for your help.

Michel47
09-01-13, 18:24
And Banco do Brasil, Av. Paulista and Rua Augusta.Thanks a lot.

AltoBomGosto
09-07-13, 11:13
Last time in Sao Paulo I used my visa card at ATM of HSBC and after twice I can't take any money. A couple weeks after that I get a call from my bank who said my card has been clowned and to stop to use it, also another person get money from ATM (600$US). Many administative problems with that.

I will be in one week in Sao Paulo and how we can use safety credit card to have cash at ATM and to avoid this type of the problem.

Thank in advance for your help.For your own safety ask your Bank to issue you a card with a SIM chip! No magnetic strip, no signature, only a 4 digit password!

Houston Player
09-07-13, 14:41
For your own safety ask your Bank to issue you a card with a SIM chip! No magnetic strip, no signature, only a 4 digit password!Great advice, unfortunately most American banks do not currently offer this option.

Michel47
09-07-13, 16:42
For your own safety ask your Bank to issue you a card with a SIM chip! No magnetic strip, no signature, only a 4 digit password!The card used and clowned has the NIP for security! It is better to go inside of the bank and use the credit card? What I heard from my bank the frauders use camera to clown the number and the NIP!

Almotu
09-07-13, 23:19
The card used and clowned has the NIP for security! It is better to go inside of the bank and use the credit card? What I heard from my bank the frauders use camera to clown the number and the NIP!When traveling, just make sure you bring a lot of options. Bring a combination of currency, credit & debit cards. Several of them. Be alert and try to monitor your balance online if you can. For Rio, I like to go to the cambio and the exchange rate is pretty close to what the ATM would give you. Usually the ATM is several points better but cambios in the tourist area can be hassle-free. For Sao Paulo it is harder to fine a cambio that gives you a good exchange rate without fees. Boy did I learn my lesson one Sunday exchanging currency at the Renaissance Hotel (I won't do that again) Usually, if you find that your account has been hacked / your card cloned, report it ASAP to your financial institution and have a backup card ready. Because of the worldwide VISA & MasterCard networks, it is easy to find an ATM that you can use. I try to avoid using the famous international banks like HSBC & Citibank. These seem to attract thieves as does Banco do Brasil. I have had good luck using Santander and Bradesco. Because they are Brasilian banks some of there ATM machines are for bill payment & local banking, make sure you see the VISA or MasterCard logos on the machine before inserting your card & try to withdrawal money.

AltoBomGosto
09-08-13, 03:01
The card used and clowned has the NIP for security! It is better to go inside of the bank and use the credit card? What I heard from my bank the frauders use camera to clown the number and the NIP!Safest way to go is doind the transacion right at the cashier (Bradesco accept most bank cards ).

Albert Punter
09-10-13, 16:37
Be very careful when you take money at a ATM.
Like in many other countries, here can be very dangerous as there is no need to clone cards but just wait for you to withdraw and then rob.
My Brazilian friends always tell me not to withdraw money at dark or from hidden ATMs.
As a matter of fact, just to avoid problems at night, banks decided to close ATM from 10 PM to 6 AM, if I remember properly.

Almotu
09-10-13, 22:25
You can also visit the large department stores like Loja Americanas during daytime hours and they have various ATMs from the Brazilian Banks. As I mentioned before make sure you see the logo of the system that your debit card uses like Visa, MasterCard (Maestro) , etc.

AltoBomGosto
09-11-13, 11:32
Be very careful when you take money at a ATM.

Like in many other countries, here can be very dangerous as there is no need to clone cards but just wait for you to withdraw and then rob.

My Brazilian friends always tell me not to withdraw money at dark or from hidden ATMs.

As a matter of fact, just to avoid problems at night, banks decided to close ATM from 10 PM to 6 AM, if I remember properly.AP, you are absolutly right!

Never show or count your money money in an open place!

Never use an ATM at night!

Even be carefull inside the bank, someone can spot on you and rob you outside.

Sui Generis
09-11-13, 14:15
Habitually (in fact, never) , I don't use ATMs while I'm in Brazil.

I always carries money with me and I also have two credit cards. My two crédits cards have chips.

I bring - depending how long I'm staying - close to R$5, 000 (and I always come back home with a lot of grana in my pocket).

I store money in a safety box in my hotel. I never bring a GDP in my room. If I want to romp with a GDP, I either go to her place or rent another room. In this way she cannot rob me.

Each month, I buy Reais while I'm in Montréal. So, when I travel I have already enough money available.

I "load" my credit cards when I travel; back home I pay them in totality. So I have always a large amount of money available in my two cards (which 15, 000$CDN).

Back in the time I was traveling with "travelers checks". I don't even klnow if this type of currency still exist! I remember that I used to change them at the Renaissance Hotel in Jardim.

Back in the 1980's (while I was in Rio) , the best way to chnage money was on the black market. I remember that even the newspapers were displaying the unofficial black market rate in their daily edition.

AltoBomGosto
09-11-13, 18:23
Habitually (in fact, never) , I don't use ATMs while I'm in Brazil.

I always carries money with me and I also have two credit cards. My two crédits cards have chips.

I bring. Depending how long I'm staying. Close to R$5, 000 (and I always come back home with a lot of grana in my pocket).

I store money in a safety box in my hotel. I never bring a GDP in my room. If I want to romp with a GDP, I either go to her place or rent another room. In this way she cannot rob me.

Each month, I buy Reais while I'm in Montréal. So, when I travel I have already enough money available.

I "load" my credit cards when I travel; back home I pay them in totality. So I have always a large amount of money available in my two cards (which 15, 000$CDN).

Back in the time I was traveling with "travelers checks". I don't even klnow if this type of currency still exist! I remember that I used to change them at the Renaissance Hotel in Jardim.

Back in the 1980's (while I was in Rio) , the best way to chnage money was on the black market. I remember that even the newspapers were displaying the unofficial black market rate in their daily edition.Another alternative is to take de GDP to Lido Hotel, all GDPs know where it is located, near to the São Joaquim metro station.

AltoBomGosto
09-11-13, 18:28
Safest way to go is doing the transacion right at the cashier (Bradesco accept most bank cards ).Also insist at your American Bank to issue you a debt card with a chip.

Java Man
09-18-13, 22:56
Whatever they did must be working, Dollar lost a dime in the last 5 days, it dropped to $R2. 34 today.Dollar has been steadily dropping. Down to $R2. 18 per XE com

Member #4732
10-06-13, 21:41
Is there any concensus on where the USDBRL rate is going in the say next 6 months and next 12 months?

I have dollars but I plan to spend a lot of time in BR in 2014 so I am struggling to anticipate the exchange rate. If I think the dollar will fall and Real will rise, then it will behoove me to buy something like the BZF ETF. To act as a proxy for buying real currency until a later date.

When usdbrl hit 2. 45 I was tempted to do just that, but in chatting with a gringo who is a self proclaimed currency expert living in BR, he was confident USDBRL was headed toward 2. 8, so I did nothing. Now Real has strengthened significantly. I am really surprised how little speculation there is on this topic on the web, it seems like one can find experts chiming in on every investment topic but the USDBRL is under-discussed imo.

What is the feeling of folks on this board, who might have their ears to the ground or connections to BR bankers and such?

Member #4732
10-07-13, 03:02
Also insist at your American Bank to issue you a debt card with a chip.ABM, greetings from an old friend. Seems there may only be one debit card with chip in entire USA. Sad.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Ani-u3tGk5hedGRvcE1ELVg5UmlGZk01SHZvTUMxdUE&type=view&gid=0&f=true&sortcolid=-1&sortasc=true&rowsperpage=250

This topic concerns me as my USA atm card was skimmed on last visit to Brasil. Seems there is no perfect card for USA based accounts, unless there have been new developments?

Member #4732
10-07-13, 03:19
Also insist at your American Bank to issue you a debt card with a chip.On closer reading it seems like affiliates of PSCU may offer something called a prepaid debit card with emv chip. But I am not sure what that means for ATM cash withdrawal. They may get you with fees and surcharges in such case, as opposed to a POS transaction. Will try to get clarification.

Poucolouco
10-07-13, 03:45
Is there any concensus on where the USDBRL rate is going in the say next 6 months and next 12 months?

I have dollars but I plan to spend a lot of time in BR in 2014 so I am struggling to anticipate the exchange rate. If I think the dollar will fall and Real will rise, then it will behoove me to buy something like the BZF ETF. To act as a proxy for buying real currency until a later date.

When usdbrl hit 2. 45 I was tempted to do just that, but in chatting with a gringo who is a self proclaimed currency expert living in BR, he was confident USDBRL was headed toward 2. 8, so I did nothing. Now Real has strengthened significantly. I am really surprised how little speculation there is on this topic on the web, it seems like one can find experts chiming in on every investment topic but the USDBRL is under-discussed imo.

What is the feeling of folks on this board, who might have their ears to the ground or connections to BR bankers and such?Rovnak, are you serious? This is a sex site. Do you really think posters on this thread will have useful insight on the 6-12 month exchange value of the USDBRL? Hell, we can't even agree on the current value of pussy let alone the future price. The recent fluctuations of the exchange value have been influenced by actions taken by the US Federal Reserve followed by counter measures taken by the Brazilian Central Bank to prop up the real. No one can accurately predict the future actions of these two organizations. You were prudent to ignore the advice of the gringo self-proclaimed currency expert. There are no facts about the future.

Member #4732
10-07-13, 03:49
Rovnak, are you serious? This is a sex site. Do you really think posters on this thread will have useful insight on the 6-12 month exchange value of the USDBRL? Hell, we can't even agree on the current value of pussy let alone the future price. The recent fluctuations of the exchange value have been influenced by actions taken by the US Federal Reserve followed by counter measures taken by the Brazilian Central Bank to prop up the real. No one can accurately predict the future actions of these two organizations. You were prudent to ignore the advice of the gringo self-proclaimed currency expert. There are no facts about the future.LOL, good points! But, some people here probably know as much as anyone else. Never hurts to ask. I know about the CB actions which strengthened Real, recently. Just curious if folks that follow such things have opinions. Not going to hold anyone to fire for a wrong forecast.

Member #4732
10-07-13, 04:03
ABM, greetings from an old friend. Seems there may only be one debit card with chip in entire USA. Sad.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Ani-u3tGk5hedGRvcE1ELVg5UmlGZk01SHZvTUMxdUE&type=view&gid=0&f=true&sortcolid=-1&sortasc=true&rowsperpage=250

This topic concerns me as my USA atm card was skimmed on last visit to Brasil. Seems there is no perfect card for USA based accounts, unless there have been new developments?Sorry I typed ABM, but I meant ABG. I see you are the "go to guy" on this site now my friend.

Combo
10-07-13, 05:24
Rovnak, are you serious? This is a sex site. Do you really think posters on this thread will have useful insight on the 6-12 month exchange value of the USDBRL? Hell, we can't even agree on the current value of pussy let alone the future price. The recent fluctuations of the exchange value have been influenced by actions taken by the US Federal Reserve followed by counter measures taken by the Brazilian Central Bank to prop up the real. No one can accurately predict the future actions of these two organizations. You were prudent to ignore the advice of the gringo self-proclaimed currency expert. There are no facts about the future."There are no facts about the future." . So true! I love it! I trade Foreign Exchange Futures for a living, and I couldn't tell you confidently where the USD / Real will be in 2014.

Hotrod10
10-08-13, 06:18
Ravank thanks for the useful info

Poucolouco
11-18-13, 23:26
I had a new experience at Citibank today. Some prankster squirted a glue substance into the keyboards of all four ATM machines rendering them inoperable. I hope this asshole doesn't decide to visit more ATMs than this branch.

Exec Talent
11-19-13, 00:34
The crooks have been known to put super glue in the card readers to force a person to use the one where they have installed the skimmer.

Saw it firsthand at HSBC in Copa.

Poucolouco
11-19-13, 03:03
[QUOTE=Exec Talent; 1497939]The crooks have been known to put super glue in the card readers to force a person to use the one where they have installed the skimmer.

Saw it firsthand at HSBC in Copa. [/QUOTE.

I was aware of that scheme but they glued the keys on every ATM in the foyer. I suspected super glue because you could see a faint residue on a couple of the keys. I spoke with the bank official behind the locked doors and she said they were aware of the situation.

Dutchman5999
12-06-13, 15:54
Hi,

First time travel to Brazil so I don't have any Reals with me. I arrive this Saturday. As I know the exchange places in SP are closed. I need some cash at least for paying taxi. Which method is the best in GRU airport.

Thanks

Poucolouco
12-07-13, 01:29
Hi,

First time travel to Brazil so I don't have any Reals with me. I arrive this Saturday. As I know the exchange places in SP are closed. I need some cash at least for paying taxi. Which method is the best in GRU airport.

ThanksTry this link:

http://www.ifly.com/sao-paulo-guarulhos-international-airport/ATM-banks-currency

Houston Player
12-07-13, 02:07
Hi,

ThanksThere are many places to exchange money at GRU however to get the best rate you should use an ATM. I always use the Banco Do Brasil ATM machines on the second floor. You can also exchange cash at the cambio located adjacent to the ATMs but the rate given is less and they also charge a small fee. I used to use the HSBC machines on the first floor right outside of arrivals but I was warned by my bank that there were known problems with those machines although I never personally had an issue.

I now use the machines on the second floor and have never had an issue there either and I probably use them 6 times or so a year.

Albert Punter
12-08-13, 01:15
I have always withdrawn Reais from ATMs at Guarulhos airport with no problem at all. In addition, exchange rate is more favourable than at banks in same airport.

Hi,

Thanks

Akatl
12-08-13, 05:09
Hi,

ThanksI used the HSBC ATM near the escalator. Since my ATM card doesn't have a chip, I had trouble using various bank's ATM. I believe only HSBC and Banco do Brasil allow me to take money out. However Banco do Brasil has a limit of R100 for me so I end up using HSBC.

Java Man
12-08-13, 19:12
I have always withdrawn Reais from ATMs at Guarulhos airport with no problem at all. In addition, exchange rate is more favourable than at banks in same airport.Which ATM, Al?

Albert Punter
12-09-13, 00:41
Any of the ATMs you find at your right when you exit international arrival.

Which ATM, Al?

Dutchman5999
12-09-13, 15:42
Thanks for your helpful info about ATM.

Java Man
01-30-14, 15:19
On the plus side, got R$2.41 exchange rate to USD yesterday at Citibank ATM. Just checked on XE. Com, $1 = R$2.42 today. And 1 euro = R$3.28. On the Negative side, everything cost more. Oglobo reported that 60% of products have increased in price. On a side note, avoid the HSBC ATM at GIG. My HSBC card was fraudulently used in Uruguay and Chile after I used that ATM.

Papi Muy Rico
02-13-14, 21:15
This thread has been awfully quiet considering that the Real has been losing ground against the dollar which is good news cause I want to come back to Rio for the World Cup.

Do anybody think we will see the good old days when 1 dollar was 3 reais? It was 2. 57 yesterday

Java Man
02-13-14, 21:36
This thread has been awfully quiet considering that the Real has been losing ground against the dollar which is good news cause I want to come back to Rio for the World Cup. Do anybody think we will see the good old days when 1 dollar was 3 reais? It was 2. 57 yesterdayWhere did you see that rate? XE.com has it at $R2.41, while oanda.com has it at $R2.40 to the USD as I write this today. BTW, is there a story to go with those great pics you posted?

Papi Muy Rico
02-13-14, 22:59
Where did you see that rate? XE.com has it at $R2.41, while oanda.com has it at $R2.40 to the USD as I write this today. BTW, is there a story to go with those great pics you posted?I have many stories about those pics, all in Manaus, but I am too lazy and slow to write about them. However, I have some informative posts under my handle with some more pics. All those girls you saw, except one, were non-GPD from there.

I am talking about the tourism rate.

I think it might be possible to get a rate close to the tourist rate, when you sell your US$, if you sell to Brazilians who want to buy to travel to the US. Now the spread given at the cambios is brutal and hideous: they sell for 2. 57 and buy for 2. 35, what a robbery! If you can find somebody who gives you, say, R$2. 50 that would be pretty fair for both. Don't you think?

BorussiaMG
02-19-14, 00:53
I think it might be possible to get a rate close to the tourist rate, when you sell your US$, if you sell to Brazilians who want to buy to travel to the US. Now the spread given at the cambios is brutal and hideous: they sell for 2. 57 and buy for 2. 35, what a robbery! If you can find somebody who gives you, say, R$2. 50 that would be pretty fair for both. Don't you think?But is there a (black) market on currency Exchange in Rio? Never heard of it. If so, I'd like to know where.

BTW: Are the new 2 & 5 BRL notes already released?

Java Man
04-10-14, 20:34
BTW: Are the new 2 & 5 BRL notes already released?New notes were available when I arrived in Dec. They're smaller than the old notes. USD losing to the Real last couple of weeks. As I write this, 1.00 USD = 2.19899 BRL :( And 1.00 EUR = 3.05474 BRL

Sly One
04-10-14, 23:21
Yes they are released just hard to find.

Sly

New notes were available when I arrived in Dec. They're smaller than the old notes. USD losing to the Real last couple of weeks. As I write this, 1.00 USD = 2.19899 BRL :( And 1.00 EUR = 3.05474 BRL

Sperto
04-11-14, 05:48
The new notes are 2, 5, 10 and 20 reais. They were realesed in July 2013. I didn't find them hard to find.

FuckAfMedDig
04-11-14, 08:56
The new notes are 2, 5, 10 and 20 reais. They were realesed in July 2013. I didn't find them hard to find.Me neither. They are given as change all over Rio-in all kiosks and stores, pharmacias etc

RockTimes
04-11-14, 22:25
Me neither. They are given as change all over Rio-in all kiosks and stores, pharmacias etcWhen I pay my pharmacist with 20 or 50 Reais bills, she inspects them very closely. She says there are fake notes in Brazil nowadays, beware.

Exec Talent
04-12-14, 20:44
New notes were available when I arrived in Dec. They're smaller than the old notes. USD losing to the Real last couple of weeks. As I write this, 1.00 USD = 2.19899 BRL :( And 1.00 EUR = 3.05474 BRLIf you do not believe markets are manipulated stop reading now.

Imagine you are central bank how could you benefit your country's economy considering it was hosting a major international event which would bring visitors from various countries seeking to exchange their currency for the local currency?

Tonyels
04-15-14, 23:57
I've gone to this particular cambio for many years now. I used to call all the cambios and ask about exchange rates but always wound up here. They are located on Rua Xavier the Silveira just off the corner of Nossa Senhora de Copacabana. Just do a google street view and you'll see them.

They can accommodate English speakers and facilitate other non sexual tourist activities. Hang gliding, soccer game packages, Corcovado etc. Just out of curiosity, I asked about a soccer game recently and was quoted R$140 for a ticket and ride while Blame it on Rio across the street wanted R$170 for the same thing. Obviously if you speak Portuguese, you can buy the ticket from the source and take mass transportation there and come out way ahead.

Typically I walk in and ask what they are paying for the dollar. Then I ask for more for a given amount. Generally I have gotten better rates when negotiating at this cambio.

RockTimes
04-16-14, 22:21
I've gone to this particular cambio for many years now. I used to call all the cambios and ask about exchange rates but always wound up here. They are located on Rua Xavier the Silveira just off the corner of Nossa Senhora de Copacabana. Just do a google street view and you'll see them.

They can accommodate English speakers and facilitate other non sexual tourist activities. Hang gliding, soccer game packages, Corcovado etc. Just out of curiosity, I asked about a soccer game recently and was quoted R$140 for a ticket and ride while Blame it on Rio across the street wanted R$170 for the same thing. Obviously if you speak Portuguese, you can buy the ticket from the source and take mass transportation there and come out way ahead.

Typically I walk in and ask what they are paying for the dollar. Then I ask for more for a given amount. Generally I have gotten better rates when negotiating at this cambio.I second Tonyels and vouch for this cambio. My favorite for years in Rio and it offers the best rate around. By the way, the cambios in Copa offer better rate than those in Centro or Airport.

Sperto
04-17-14, 05:20
I second Tonyels and vouch for this cambio. My favorite for years in Rio and it offers the best rate around. By the way, the cambios in Copa offer better rate than those in Centro or Airport.Yes and no.

Yes, that's correct that this casa de cambio usually offers the best rates in Copacabana.

No, you get better rates in centro. Casa Behar on Av Rio Branco is my favourite. It can also be worth checking out PM Turismo, also on Av Rio Branco.

RockTimes
04-17-14, 20:54
Yes and no.

Yes, that's correct that this casa de cambio usually offers the best rates in Copacabana.

No, you get better rates in centro. Casa Behar on Av Rio Branco is my favourite. It can also be worth checking out PM Turismo, also on Av Rio Branco.Last time, I had a quote of 2.07R in Centro, Rio Branco, forgot the house, I got 2.35 in Copa.

Sperto, can you give the house number of Casa Behar and PM turismo? I will try next time.

Thank

Sperto
04-18-14, 03:50
Last time, I had a quote of 2. 07R in Centro, Rio Branco, forgot the house, I got 2. 35 in Copa.

Sperto, can you give the house number of Casa Behar and PM turismo? I will try next time.

Thank45 and 124.

Mangera
04-18-14, 16:20
Last time, I had a quote of 2. 07R in Centro, Rio Branco, forgot the house, I got 2. 35 in Copa.

ThankCasa Behar on Av Rio Branco is in Centro, and has always been the best place for exchanging money for me. Atleast on a consistent basis. I highly suggest this place.

Tonyels
04-19-14, 21:03
Yes and no.

No, you get better rates in centro. Casa Behar on Av Rio Branco is my favourite. It can also be worth checking out PM Turismo, also on Av Rio Branco.I'll try those cambios next time. I tend to be a little nervous when carrying large amounts of cash to exchange at the Cambio in Copacabana. I typically stay in an apartment in Copa and to venture out to Centro is more of a trek. Nothing has ever happened but the thought of lugging around a large wad of cash to and from centro is a bit nerve racking.

RockTimes
04-19-14, 21:41
I'll try those cambios next time. I tend to be a little nervous when carrying large amounts of cash to exchange at the Cambio in Copacabana. I typically stay in an apartment in Copa and to venture out to Centro is more of a trek. Nothing has ever happened but the thought of lugging around a large wad of cash to and from centro is a bit nerve racking.It is OK in daytime, hide money in a belt or front pocket because pickpocket does exist.

Termas change policy all the time, for a while, Girls accept only cash, I am obligatory to lug a big wad of bills. Lokking back, it is a bit eerie of being so adventurous but hey, nothing ventures nothing gains.

Fast Eddie 48
04-20-14, 00:49
The new notes are 2, 5, 10 and 20 reais. They were realesed in July 2013. I didn't find them hard to find.To Sperto.

I have some old note forgot to bring them last yr can I still use them or need to exchange to new note at the bank, I will be in Sao Paulo in 2 week for business.

Fast Eddie 48

Sperto
04-20-14, 06:46
I'll try those cambios next time. I tend to be a little nervous when carrying large amounts of cash to exchange at the Cambio in Copacabana. I typically stay in an apartment in Copa and to venture out to Centro is more of a trek. Nothing has ever happened but the thought of lugging around a large wad of cash to and from centro is a bit nerve racking.If you change a large amount of cash at Casa Behar they bring you to a private cabine. In there they count up your money. You also have the opportunity to hide the money in your underwear etc. When you leave Casa Behar head directly to the metro / bus / taxi. Whatever you do don't leave the casa de cambio nervously, it will attract attention.

To Sperto.

I have some old note forgot to bring them last yr can I still use them or need to exchange to new note at the bank, I will be in Sao Paulo in 2 week for business.

Fast Eddie 48As long as it's reais and not old cruzeiros or cruzados I guess you should be OK.

Sperto
09-07-14, 06:39
For security purposes, HSBC ATM's have a $R300 limit, doesn't matter what time of day.
I rather answer you in this thread, instead of the thread "Anyone know about a 300. Reais a day limit at ATM's in Brazil for foreigners?" (a thread that propably have been created by mistake).
HSBC do allow R$1000 withdrawals. At least at daytime (I never withdraw money at night).

Java Man
09-07-14, 07:32
HSBC do allow R$1000 withdrawals. At least at daytime (I never withdraw money at night).Not for me. I have a HSBC debit card issued in US. Only allowed me to withdraw $R300 per day, didn't matter what time. Also tried with another US issued card, same result. I contacted HSBC in US, was told they did not limit my withdrawals.

Albert Punter
09-07-14, 14:06
I can only state here what I reported in other thread too.
Locals told me that at night withdrawals are limited as far as amount you can get.
As a matter of fact a couple of times I went to ATM at night I was able to withdraw BRL 300 only.

RockTimes
09-08-14, 01:11
Locals told me that at night withdrawals are limited as far as amount you can get.
As a matter of fact a couple of times I went to ATM at night I was able to withdraw BRL 300 only.Stick with Citibank ATM, it is the friendliest ATM in Rio for american. Up to 400 US dollar a day which is my credit union limit allowed. HSBC is unpredictable.

CitiBank has atm in avenida nossa senora in copa. Around number 500. Also in Centro.

Hobbying
09-09-14, 04:42

As a matter of fact a couple of times I went to ATM at night I was able to withdraw BRL 300 only.For me it depended on the atm and on weekends late night. Bradesco only 800 per day. HSBC and Banco do Brasil are 1000 max per day and I withdrawal at both on same day no problem and no fee unlike Citi or Banco 24 horas.

I had my cloned so I try to only use atm within a bank and cover up when entering pin.

ForceSteeler
10-03-14, 15:56
The Real is looking good just passed 2:50 per 1 Dollar.

AltoBomGosto
10-05-14, 12:40
Stick with Citibank ATM, it is the friendliest ATM in Rio for american. Up to 400 US dollar a day which is my credit union limit allowed. HSBC is unpredictable.

CitiBank has atm in avenida nossa senora in copa. Around number 500. Also in Centro.In Sao Paulo Banco do Brasil on Avenida Paulista and Rua Augusta BRL 800 day.

Bradesco also is american friendly. There is an exchange office on Rua Haddock Lobo near to Avenida Paulista. Also ATM there.

AltoBomGosto
10-06-14, 01:24
The Real is looking good just passed 2:50 per 1 Dollar.2. 65 least Friday.

Rahsta
10-06-14, 16:20
2. 65 least Friday.I hope it gets that high by next week, but I doubted it. Its at 2. 42 now.

ForceSteeler
10-06-14, 18:58
I hope it gets that high by next week, but I doubted it. Its at 2. 42 now.It won't get that high until after the election. The 2nd runoff is October 26.

I Hope Rousseff Wins. All the investors hate her, So if she wins you the Brazil Real will hit 3:00 to 1. If The Opponent Cunha Wins (Pro Business / Capitalist). Look for the real to get stronger, Will be under 2:00 for at least 2015.

I have my fingers crossed, I will be in Brazil November, So I hope it hits 3:00.

Rahsta
10-07-14, 10:28
It won't get that high until after the election. The 2nd runoff is October 26.

I Hope Rousseff Wins. All the investors hate her, So if she wins you the Brazil Real will hit 3:00 to 1. If The Opponent Cunha Wins (Pro Business / Capitalist). Look for the real to get stronger, Will be under 2:00 for at least 2015.

I have my fingers crossed, I will be in Brazil November, So I hope it hits 3:00.I will be in Rio on the Oct 30, but in Manuas on Oct 27. Lets see what happens.

Hobbying
10-09-14, 09:38
The Real and Ibovespa is not based on fundamentals, just on the election for now. Wait until after the election and next year it will be above 2.5. The fundamentals with negative GDP and inflation above 6. 5% will keep them in a recession. The Central Bank will also stop their swap buy backs and intervention so there will be no more support for the Real. And the US Fed will increase the interest rate next year also. No surprise if it hist 3. 0 after another downgrade by credit agencies after poor gpd figures and failure to implement economic changes regardless who is president because changes takes years not months.

ForceSteeler
10-09-14, 23:52
The Real and Ibovespa is not based on fundamentals, just on the election for now. Wait until after the election and next year it will be above 2.5. The fundamentals with negative GDP and inflation above 6. 5% will keep them in a recession. The Central Bank will also stop their swap buy backs and intervention so there will be no more support for the Real. And the US Fed will increase the interest rate next year also. No surprise if it hist 3. 0 after another downgrade by credit agencies after poor gpd figures and failure to implement economic changes regardless who is president because changes takes years not months.Also add after the Olympics Price Inflated Hype is over. I would not see if the Real end up being 4. 0:1 per Dollar. All Good for Us Mongers. Out of Every Country I have been Brazil is my #1 Favorite. I want to sample Bunda on a Budget.

Tiradentes
10-10-14, 04:46
Last Sunday night, former governor Aecio Neves didn't win his own state Minas Gerais during the first round of voting. He came close though. Out of the 9 million votes cast in MG, the difference between the two candidates was just few thousand votes.

If Aecio wins MG (very plausible) and RJ (doable, now that people like the great legend Romario are openly supporting him), he would end up winning all of the rich south and leaving the poor north to Dilma.

If that occurs, and whether Dilma wins more votes or not, she will have NO MANDATE. The Real will free fall and chaos will ensue. Dilma won't be allowed to preside.

Dilma is already using the elitist card, accusing Aecio, FHC and the PSDP of being snobbish against the poor northerners.

The election will be a nail biter. I wish the Selecao of 14 was as exciting as these elections.

Member #4732
10-24-14, 23:29
It won't get that high until after the election. The 2nd runoff is October 26.

I have my fingers crossed, I will be in Brazil November, So I hope it hits 3:00.What you say is what I have read also. But I don't understand one thing about this forecast. Dilima's govt has been actively intervening in the currency market, trying to keep the Real from falling further. And Neves has said that he will let the Real float free. So I don't understand why the forecast does not have the Real falling further with Neves than with Dilma. Can anyone explain this?

ForceSteeler
10-25-14, 08:22
What you say is what I have read also. But I don't understand one thing about this forecast. Dilima's govt has been actively intervening in the currency market, trying to keep the Real from falling further. And Neves has said that he will let the Real float free. So I don't understand why the forecast does not have the Real falling further with Neves than with Dilma. Can anyone explain this?Well to make a long story short, economist can tell you that the Brazil Real is way overpriced. The current president (Dilma) has been doing currency swaps to prop up the real to keep it from falling.

Neves (Business / Capitalist guy) will stop currency swaps If he becomes President and he can afford to due it, because he has alot of Bankers and Investors on his side. Dilma does not have the business community support.

But ultimately whoever becomes president the Brazil is way overpriced and after the Olympics, the Brazil economy will be a bust. Neves may be able to stop the bleeding but all these investors and bankers are looking to make a quick profit.

The bankers could give two shits about the people, and its all about the people when we are talking about elections.

Tiradentes
10-26-14, 23:46
But, will she have a mandate? Rocky times to Brazil are expected.

ForceSteeler
10-27-14, 00:18
But, will she have a mandate? Rocky times to Brazil are expected.Yes Tough Times for Brazil are happening right now. Expect a Massive Sell off Tomorrow as investors unload, plus the US Fed Chairman on Wednesday will announce the end of The Stimulus programs. So I would not be surprise if the Real heads to 3:00 1 (US).

This is a big win for us mongers, cheaper pussy for all of us. I'm heading there in 2 weeks so I'm happy.

Java Man
10-27-14, 21:19
And so it starts: "Brazilian financial markets fell on Monday as leftist President Dilma Rousseff's re-election victory dashed investor hopes of significant policy changes over the next four years. Brazil's real closed at a 9-1/2-year low. Most investors are betting the Brazilian currency will weaken over the next few years as USA Treasury yields rise and Brazil tries to boost industry competitiveness. ".

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/27/brazil-markets-idUSL1N0SM21P20141027

As I type this, on www.Xe.com/ucc 1.00 USD = 2.52114 BRL. :D

Escort4Us
10-27-14, 22:20
And so it starts: "Brazilian financial markets fell on Monday as leftist President Dilma Rousseff's re-election victory dashed investor hopes of significant policy changes over the next four years. Brazil's real closed at a 9-1/2-year low. Most investors are betting the Brazilian currency will weaken over the next few years as USA Treasury yields rise and Brazil tries to boost industry competitiveness. ".

As I type this, on www.Xe.com/ucc 1.00 USD = 2.52114 BRL. :DIn 24 hrs I saved 80-cents US for a 90 min session.

W00 t! .

If it hit 3:1, that would be significant. For sure the costs will then have to rise as well at some point.

ForceSteeler
10-27-14, 22:36
In 24 hrs I saved 80-cents US for a 90 min session.

W00 t! .

If it hit 3:1, that would be significant. For sure the costs will then have to rise as well at some point.Well every dollar counts, The Real is much better now then in 2010 when I first went to Brazil when it was 1. 68 Real To 1 US Dollar (1. 68 1. 00).

If The Real Goes up to 3:1 it will cost about $80-$90 for a typical 4 x4 Termas girl, but knowing Brazilians they will raise the price. But like I tell every one The Real Crash will happen after 2016 (Olympics). Economist are saying the Real will be 4:1 around 2017.

Combo
10-28-14, 13:01
My first visit to Rio in 2000 the rate was 1.7 Real/USD. Sounds bad, right? Well actually not, because you could get a stunner out of Help for 70 Real. Or do a Dupla at Monte Carlo for under 200 R.

ForceSteeler
10-28-14, 14:26
My first visit to Rio in 2000 the rate was 1.7 Real/USD. Sounds bad, right? Well actually not, because you could get a stunner out of Help for 70 Real. Or do a Dupla at Monte Carlo for under 200 R.Your lucky, I never been to help and miss it by 3 months when it was closed down.

Jubby007
10-29-14, 04:38

As I type this, on www.Xe.com/ucc 1.00 USD = 2.52114 BRL. :DGood for us.

Java Man
10-29-14, 17:35
Economist are saying the Real will be 4:1 around 2017.I hope so, that would be better than when I started going in 2001. Since my last posting on Monday, the Real has recovered 8 cents. Per www.xe.com/ucc, as I type this, it's 1.00 USD = 2.44148 BRL.

ForceSteeler
10-29-14, 18:00
I hope so, that would be better than when I started going in 2001. Since my last posting on Monday, the Real has recovered 8 cents. Per www.xe.com/ucc, as I type this, it's 1.00 USD = 2.44148 BRL.Brazil Central Banks are selling Billions of Swaps every month to prop up the real, but we will see, the crash is coming!

Exec Talent
10-29-14, 22:54
Often times unless you are a currency trader, the rates bantered about in this forum are meaningless.

The cambios do not change their rates immediately and not to the extent the market changes.

Combo
10-29-14, 23:11
I hope so, that would be better than when I started going in 2001. Since my last posting on Monday, the Real has recovered 8 cents. Per www.xe.com/ucc, as I type this, it's 1.00 USD = 2.44148 BRL.But the prices in Real are way higher (like 3-4 times) than they were in 2001. The exchange rate is only half the input for how much you spend.

As I pointed out a few posts down, the exchange rate was 1.7 Real/USD when I first went to Brasil. But everything was much, much cheaper.

Rock Harders
10-30-14, 03:06
Often times unless you are a currency trader, the rates bantered about in this forum are meaningless.

The cambios do not change their rates immediately and not to the extent the market changes.This is true, however when using a no foreign transaction free credit card (Amex Plat, many others) you do in fact get the current FX rate. Fortunately in Brasil credit cards are accepted everywhere, even in a termas. When using cash, in my experience it in Rio the best rates are always found at black market FX houses, where the spread is typically only two or three basis points below the best FX rate quoted on reputable internet sites.

Jubby007
10-30-14, 08:48
But the prices in Real are way higher (like 3-4 times) than they were in 2001. The exchange rate is only half the input for how much you spend.

As I pointed out a few posts down, the exchange rate was 1.7 Real/USD when I first went to Brasil. But everything was much, much cheaper.You are absolutely right. I first went to Rio in 2005. The cost of 1 HR in 4 x4 was close to are $12 O I guess and now it's over are $300. The weakening Real doesn't help much as prices in Termas went up 3 x within a decade. Conversely, the price of per hour sex is nearly the same in the USA and Europe if you know the right places. The escort agencies in US nearly my area still charges US $150/ HR and London for 70 to 90 pounds per HR. My last fear is that Terma owner will try to use the excuse of weakening Real to raise their prices.

ForceSteeler
10-31-14, 04:13
You are absolutely right. I first went to Rio in 2005. The cost of 1 HR in 4 x4 was close to are $12 O I guess and now it's over are $300. The weakening Real doesn't help much as prices in Termas went up 3 x within a decade. Conversely, the price of per hour sex is nearly the same in the USA and Europe if you know the right places. The escort agencies in US nearly my area still charges US $150/ HR and London for 70 to 90 pounds per HR. My last fear is that Terma owner will try to use the excuse of weakening Real to raise their prices.Anyone know the current prices for Termas? Like the 4 x4 and Monte Carlo?

I was there last time and I think it was either 220 RL or 280 RL per hour. I'm not to sure I was using my Amex Card.

Java Man
11-06-14, 21:59
Yesterday or the day before, I saw the Dollar exchange at $R2.50. I just checked XE, and it's now at 1.00 USD = 2.56117 BRL. :)

ForceSteeler
11-06-14, 22:03
Yesterday or the day before, I saw the Dollar exchange at $R2.50. I just checked XE, and it's now at 1.00 USD = 2.56117 BRLOfficially its at 2:56. I will be in Brazil in 5 days so I'm very happy, plus I heard since the economy is so bad in Brazil alot more new girls are on the street. I can't wait to sample all the new talent.

Pipe Layer99
11-08-14, 21:14
Officially its at 2:56. I will be in Brazil in 5 days so I'm very happy, plus I heard since the economy is so bad in Brazil alot more new girls are on the street. I can't wait to sample all the new talent.First trip it was around 2. 3. Then years later fell to 1. 7, I was like shit. So I took 2 years away from the place. Last year wasn't so bad and I talked with a couple of my buddies about the trip and rising costs. I can still remember one friend telling me about how it was when he was getting 4-1. I would have lost my mind. If it gets up to 3 -1, I'm booking a trip. :)

Torgoch
11-09-14, 01:05
Anyone know the current prices for Termas? Like the 4 x4 and Monte Carlo?

I was there last time and I think it was either 220 RL or 280 RL per hour. I'm not to sure I was using my Amex Card.4 x4 is 300 RL per hour. I'll be checking it out on Monday. Prices keep going up so even with a better exchange rate, its not any cheaper.

Voyajer1
11-09-14, 06:12
It was BR 320 for the hour!

4 x4 is 300 RL per hour. I'll be checking it out on Monday. Prices keep going up so even with a better exchange rate, its not any cheaper.

Torgoch
11-09-14, 10:23
It was BR 320 for the hour!Aagh! I'll confirm, tomorrow on the Rio thread.

ForceSteeler
11-14-14, 13:51
It was BR 320 for the hour!I was at the 4 x4 Tuesday and its $320 per Hour. The Managers Raise there rate when the Real is Weak against the dollar But if you check out other Termas like (Cancun).

The rate is much cheaper (260 per Hour) because a lot of Gringos only go to 4 x4 or termas Copacabana.

Java Man
11-14-14, 21:55
Guess 4x4 will keep increasing its prices. Dollar hit $R2.60 on xe.com today.

Escort4Us
12-11-14, 23:18
Pushing historical levels. Will it see resistance or break out into the 2. 70's?

FuckAfMedDig
12-11-14, 23:51
It is correct that 4 x 4,MC and Centaurus and Solarium all compensate for weak Reais by boosting prices-rich cariocas and Gringos go there.

Only all-Brasilian termas keep prices reasonably stable or ordinary cariocas will stop going. Most low-level termas are between 100 and 200 Reais an hour.

T31,MV30,Florida, America, T81,119,502 and Black / White in Bonsucecco etc. Then middle is Cancun etc.

Exec Talent
12-12-14, 00:47
It is correct that 4 x 4,MC and Centaurus and Solarium all compensate for weak Reais by boosting prices-rich cariocas and Gringos go there.

Only all-Brasilian termas keep prices reasonably stable or ordinary cariocas will stop going. Most low-level termas are between 100 and 200 Reais an hour.

T31,MV30,Florida, America, T81,119,502 and Black / White in Bonsucecco etc. Then middle is Cancun etc.I remember back in 2002 when a certain song came out and a lot of low class Americans started coming to Rio. Many of my wealthy European friends stopped coming because let's face it, the girls are a shared resource. No different from a US Country Club. Membership dues are high to keep the low-life out.

Combo
12-12-14, 14:08

T31,MV30,Florida, America, T81,119,502 and Black / White in Bonsucecco etc. Then middle is Cancun etc.So when the rate goes back down, will they lower their prices?

Sperto
12-12-14, 15:35
So when the rate goes back down, will they lower their prices?
Lowering their prices doesn't exist.
Not even if their business is going bad, then they just raise their prices to earn more money.

ForceSteeler
12-12-14, 18:18
So when the rate goes back down, will they lower their prices?I don't see rates dropping until after the Olympics is finish. Business Owners are trying to inflate the price until the Olympics, Once the hype is over they will be forced to lower prices or go out of business. The Exchange rate is looking good, Bloomberg and Goldman Sachs.

Target Brazil Real at around 3 R to $1 by the end of 2015.

Torgoch
12-12-14, 19:52
Not even if their business is going bad, then they just raise their prices to earn more money.The concession they made a while ago when they put the prices up was to extend the waiver of entrance if you session from 5 pm to 6 pm.

Combo
12-13-14, 00:04
Not even if their business is going bad, then they just raise their prices to earn more money.Yes, I was being facetious. I know their mentality on this.

George90
12-13-14, 18:46
Target Brazil Real at around 3 R to $1 by the end of 2015.The exchange on Friday (12/12/14) on XE.com was 2. 65. If China's economic slowdown continues we might see 3. 0 by February or March of 2015.

I read on Bloomberg that there is a tug of war in the government. Ministers into the financial sector was to raise interest rates to support the real's value and prevent outflows of foreign capital, while ministers into the manufacturing sector (Embraer) want a weaker real to spur exports and keep blue collar type jobs. I hope to get to Brazil in May 2015 so I am watching this pretty closely.

ForceSteeler
12-16-14, 11:54
The exchange on Friday (12/12/14) on XE.com was 2. 65. If China's economic slowdown continues we might see 3. 0 by February or March of 2015.

I read on Bloomberg that there is a tug of war in the government. Ministers into the financial sector was to raise interest rates to support the real's value and prevent outflows of foreign capital, while ministers into the manufacturing sector (Embraer) want a weaker real to spur exports and keep blue collar type jobs. I hope to get to Brazil in May 2015 so I am watching this pretty closely.Yeah Its also funny how any time a country wants to setup there own bank, and get off the Petro Dollar They either get wiped out or there economy crash and burn.

-In 2001 Saddam Hussein Wanted to Get Off the Dolllar and Switch to Euro. In 2003 Iraq was invaded and Saddam was put on trial and executed.

-Muammar Gaddafi wanted Libya to start selling oil in African Union / Gold Dinars and Libya was invaded in 2011 and Gaddafi was murdered.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/economy/markets/item/4630-gadhafi-s-gold-money-plan-would-have-devastated-dollar

- In July 2014 Brazil, China and Russian (BRIC) (New Development Bank) wanted to move off the Petro Dollar and start there own bank, And Now There Economies are in shambles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Development_Bank

Brazil should of never mess with the World Bankers Cartel.

Escort4Us
12-17-14, 01:39
Yeah Its also funny how any time a country wants to setup there own bank, and get off the Petro Dollar They either get wiped out or there economy crash and burn.

-In 2001 Saddam Hussein Wanted to Get Off the Dolllar and Switch to Euro. In 2003 Iraq was invaded and Saddam was put on trial and executed.

-Muammar Gaddafi wanted Libya to start selling oil in African Union / Gold Dinars and Libya was invaded in 2011 and Gaddafi was murdered.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/economy/markets/item/4630-gadhafi-s-gold-money-plan-would-have-devastated-dollar

- In July 2014 Brazil, China and Russian (BRIC) (New Development Bank) wanted to move off the Petro Dollar and start there own bank, And Now There Economies are in shambles.

Brazil should of never mess with the World Bankers Cartel.I'd be willing to bet that the banks / killings didn't have a lot to do with each other.

More like being a sadistic murdering mother fuckers had something to do with their killings.

Just my opinion.

Sperto
12-17-14, 23:08
Today I went to change cash, Euro. First I passed by PM Turismo on Av Rio Branco. They offered 3,40. Then I went to Casa Behar on the same street. I was unfortunate as it was the old witch who worked there today. She´s nasty. She only offered 3,35. i went back to PM Turismo. Now they only wanted to pay 3,35. Shit. A metro ride to Copa and I passed by Viajes Norte on R Xavier da Silveira. There I managed to get 3,42. Excellent as the official rate today is 3,34. Btw the dollar rate was 2,72.

Combo
12-18-14, 00:40
I'd be willing to bet that the banks / killings didn't have a lot to do with each other.

More like being a sadistic murdering mother fuckers had something to do with their killings.

Just my opinion.Come on -- It's much more fun to come up with conspiracy theories!

Escort4Us
12-18-14, 02:28
Come on -- It's much more fun to come up with conspiracy theories!Hahah. Yup. .

Dccpa
12-18-14, 13:58
Yeah Its also funny how any time a country wants to setup there own bank, and get off the Petro Dollar They either get wiped out or there economy crash and burn.

Brazil should of never mess with the World Bankers Cartel.You have been reading too many gold bug conspiracy articles. Gaddafi never made the claimed statement about selling oil for gold. I read the original speeches and gold was not mentioned. China's slowing growth is affecting the Real as Brazil is a major iron ore exporter and Rousseff's reelection win isn't helping things either. Russia is being hit by falling oil prices and sanctions. However India is in a growth phase under Modi.

All the third world economies are being affected by the strengthening USD. You can blame the banksters for the massive derivative positions, but they are not responsible for the things you posted.

ForceSteeler
12-19-14, 00:52
You have been reading too many gold bug conspiracy articles. Gaddafi never made the claimed statement about selling oil for gold. I read the original speeches and gold was not mentioned. China's slowing growth is affecting the Real as Brazil is a major iron ore exporter and Rousseff's reelection win isn't helping things either. Russia is being hit by falling oil prices and sanctions. However India is in a growth phase under Modi.

All the third world economies are being affected by the strengthening USD. You can blame the banksters for the massive derivative positions, but they are not responsible for the things you posted.This Video Explains everything I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP7L8bw5QF4

There is a secret cold war because other countries want off the petro dollar.

WombatEd2
12-19-14, 03:21
This Video Explains everything I'm talking about.

There is a secret cold war because other countries want off the petro dollar.In my opinion, this YouTube video presents an elaborate conspiracy theory that is far less credible than the conventional wisdom presented in the mainstream media. And neither it not the website it points to provide any info on who's behind it's call for a "revolution.

Other countries want a lot more than to get "off the petro dollar". Here's my YouTube on "revolution": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR9JMwzxybE.

The Cane
02-05-15, 22:20
OK, I don't want to read any more bitching and moaning and complaining about the price of mongering in Brazil anymore LOLOLOL!

http://fortune.com/2015/02/05/a-36-pack-of-condoms-in-venezuela-now-costs-755-at-official-rates/

Kid Cisco
02-08-15, 07:38
OK, I don't want to read any more bitching and moaning and complaining about the price of mongering in Brazil anymore LOLOLOL!

http://fortune.com/2015/02/05/a-36-pack-of-condoms-in-venezuela-now-costs-755-at-official-rates/Wow. Damnn $755 for a pack of rubbers WTF?

Golfinho
02-08-15, 11:03
This Video Explains everything I'm talking about.

There is a secret cold war because other countries want off the petro dollar.Its not even a secret anymore. The US will do whatever it takes to maintain dollar hegemony.

ForceSteeler
02-11-15, 17:19
Brazil Real is at 2. 86 R for every $1. 00. Can it break 3?

Sperto
02-11-15, 19:09
Brazil Real is at 2. 86 R for every $1. 00. Can it break 3?Actually a bit less. I saw today on Av Rio Branco they paid 2,86 for USD1.

AltoBomGosto
02-11-15, 19:59
Brazil Real is at 2. 86 R for every $1. 00. Can it break 3?It went to BRL 3,00 = USD 1,00 at the free marked.

Sperto
02-11-15, 22:29
It went to BRL 3,00 = USD 1,00 at the free marked.If you bought USD today, 3,00.

If you sold USD today, 2,80.

Member #4543
02-18-15, 15:50
In Rio I had previously found a few places, such as Behar, PM Turismo, and something on Avenida Nossa Senhora the Copacabana where you more or less get the interbank rate, or a tiny bit more when selling them Dollars, Euros, or Pounds.

I have yet to come across anything like this in SP. I have about 100 GBP with me I'd like to dump. Not really worth going out of my way, but does anyone know some places in SP that are good?

Anybody
03-01-15, 22:59
In Rio I had previously found a few places, such as Behar, PM Turismo, and something on Avenida Nossa Senhora the Copacabana where you more or less get the interbank rate, or a tiny bit more when selling them Dollars, Euros, or Pounds.

I have yet to come across anything like this in SP. I have about 100 GBP with me I'd like to dump. Not really worth going out of my way, but does anyone know some places in SP that are good?Hi guys,

While I was visiting Rio, my friend recommended me to go to Blame it on Rio travel agency, which is also exchanging USD and EUR to Reals. I had a better exchange rate than the rate at the airport, I also recommended that place. You can also arrange tours too.

Its address is Rua Xavier the Silveira, 15 B, Copacabana.

Cheers

Sperto
03-02-15, 22:49
Hi guys,

While I was visiting Rio, my friend recommended me to go to Blame it on Rio travel agency, which is also exchanging USD and EUR to Reals. I had a better exchange rate than the rate at the airport, I also recommended that place. You can also arrange tours too.

Its address is Rua Xavier the Silveira, 15 B, Copacabana.

CheersAll cambios in Rio are better than the airport ones. If you're thinking of changing money at Blame it on Rio, first check the rate at Viajes Norte on the other side of the street (or take your time and check the cambios on Av Rio Branco).

Java Man
03-05-15, 12:32
Holy Frack!! Dollar approaching 3 Real mark. Current exchange rate as I type this on XE: 1.00USD = 2.97737BRL. :)

FuckAfMedDig
03-05-15, 12:54
All cambios in Rio are better than the airport ones. If you're thinking of changing money at Blame it on Rio, first check the rate at Viajes Norte on the other side of the street (or take your time and check the cambios on Av Rio Branco).The cambios on Rio Branco's rates are not good. Laranjeiras mall had much better.

Mangera
03-05-15, 13:44
The cambios on Rio Branco's rates are not good. Laranjeiras mall had much better.Most of the time, I have found the best rates at Casa Behar on Rio Branco. I exchange large amounts and negotiate a bit as well. Come out a winner every time.

http://kekanto.com.br/biz/casa-behar-passagens-turismo-e-cambio-2

Mr Enternational
03-05-15, 16:46
10 year high gentlemen. Enjoy!

ForceSteeler
03-05-15, 19:49
10 year high gentlemen. Enjoy!Wow, Amazing, I can remember back in 2010, For every $100 US Dollars I was only getting 187 R!

Sperto
03-05-15, 23:52
Most of the time, I have found the best rates at Casa Behar on Rio Branco. I exchange large amounts and negotiate a bit as well. Come out a winner every time.
I always used to get the best rates at Casa Behar. Unfortunately I've been attended by the old witch the last two years. She's greedy and hopeless to negotiate with. Last year I chose PM Turismo, also on Av Rio Branco. This year I chose Viajes Norte in Copacabana. I got a much better rate than I was offered in Av Rio Branco.

When the cambio gives me their rate I negotiate and get a little bit better rate. Then I tell them I have unfolded new 500 Euro-notes and that improves the rate a bit more. If you have a very large amount of cash your best option can be contacting a doleiro, that is if you have those contacts.

FuckAfMedDig
03-06-15, 12:41
I always used to get the best rates at Casa Behar. Unfortunately I've been attended by the old witch the last two years. She's greedy and hopeless to negotiate with. Last year I chose PM Turismo, also on Av Rio Branco. This year I chose Viajes Norte in Copacabana. I got a much better rate than I was offered in Av Rio Branco.

When the cambio gives me their rate I negotiate and get a little bit better rate. Then I tell them I have unfolded new 500 Euro-notes and that improves the rate a bit more. If you have a very large amount of cash your best option can be contacting a doleiro, that is if you have those contacts.I get the same rate in my own country for Reais as the best place I've found in Rio tbh. Marginal difference.

Hobbying
03-07-15, 19:29
Some of the girls are advertising higher rates do to inflation.

Some girls at boates if they know you're a gringo will ask for more because they know the dollar is worth more now.

Tell them you go there every month and want the local price LOL.

Hobbying
03-07-15, 19:46
I'm calling above 3.5 before end of the year:

Central Bank will stop offering swaps.

Inflation above 8%.

GDP will be negative and enter into recession and downgrade of sovereign rating.

Rates increases by the Fed.

Albert Punter
03-08-15, 14:58
Hopefully GDP we meet every day won't be negative.

I'm calling above 3.5 before end of the year:

Central Bank will stop offering swaps.

Inflation above 8%.

GDP will be negative and enter into recession and downgrade of sovereign rating.

Rates increases by the Fed.

George90
03-09-15, 00:55
I'm calling above 3.5 before end of the year:That's very conservative. It is only the frst week of March and the rate is already at 3. 05.

I read an article about the Brazilian economy in The Eonomist. They basically feel that the Brazilian government won't manage its monetary policy very well in 2015, leading to low GDP growth, a high exchange rate with the US, and rising budget deficits.

Eric Cartman
03-09-15, 02:02
Hopefully GDP we meet every day won't be negative.Brazilians avoid the confusion by calling the gross national product "PIB" (produto interno bruto, I believe).

Ryjerrob
03-09-15, 05:30
While I haven't been to Brazil in some years, I look at the rates every so often. I actually found a new wingman for my next trip. GDP's will only get what we're willing to pay! I think there's always been too much focus on this. The situation is good now so take advantage of it. That means as the dollar increases, order the currency locally (at home). Use this situation to plan for future trips. I ordered $1000 worth for a trip I'm planning after the Olympics. If the dollar keeps rising then the better for us with dollars. At some point it'll come back down. I think it's all about planning and your perspective.

Ryjer.

Hobbying
03-09-15, 16:05
That's very conservative. It is only the frst week of March and the rate is already at 3. 05.

I read an article about the Brazilian economy in The Eonomist. They basically feel that the Brazilian government won't manage its monetary policy very well in 2015, leading to low GDP growth, a high exchange rate with the US, and rising budget deficits.Nothing really the Brazilian gov't can do. Most predicted that eventually the emerging markets will start to compete with each other. Other major factor is that Brazil does the most trading with China. China is slowing and Brazil can't stop that. India has higher inflation and bond rates than Brazil but they yet have a positive GDP. So Brazil gov't can't do anything about alot of the external factors.

Exec Talent
03-09-15, 21:21
Some of you, I am sure, remember way back when the exchange rate almost hit 4-1.

Knowing that I would be making frequent trips to Brazil over the coming years, I exchanged quite a large amount of Dollars for Reais.

Today the exchange was almost 3. 13. Frequent travelers should keep tabs and be prepared to act.

Ryjerrob
03-10-15, 02:05
After some additional research I'm screwed. Turns out the best rate I can get by ordering from the states is $2. 57 which is complete bullshit! Aside from flying down for a weekend to exchange in Brazil. My master plan has failed me.

Troyster
03-10-15, 02:29
After some additional research I'm screwed. Turns out the best rate I can get by ordering from the states is $2. 57 which is complete bullshit! Aside from flying down for a weekend to exchange in Brazil. My master plan has failed me.To give you an idea of how it varies in Sampa. I was at The Unique Hotel on Saturday and they offered me 2.45 on the dollar. I decided not to do it. Today I exchanged at The Renaissance for 2.96.

Ryjerrob
03-10-15, 03:00
After some additional research I'm screwed. Turns out the best rate I can get by ordering from the states is $2. 57 which is complete bullshit! Aside from flying down for a weekend to exchange in Brazil. My master plan has failed me.$2. 72 is what it looks like.

Sperto
03-10-15, 03:28
Why asking about the current rates on the forum? How about checking all the available sites?

I usually get a good idea by checking http://www.pmturismo.com.br.

Albert Punter
03-10-15, 03:44
Can be read at http://economia.estadao.com.br/ together with exchange rates.

John Corey
03-10-15, 13:20
$2. 72 is what it looks like.In my experience the best rate I have received over the the years that I have travelled to Sampa is from the forex / travel vendor in the basement of the Iguatemi shopping mall. They are.

Located two levels below the food court (or one level from sub terrain floor of the mall as you go to the rest rooms). Let us know how you fare.

Rahsta
03-10-15, 14:45
3. 14 to 1 now.

AltoBomGosto
03-10-15, 15:16
3. 14 to 1 now.3,18 to 1 now.

Sparta
03-11-15, 00:26
Am coming to SP on business nest week. Usually I use my CC for all business related expenses (hotel, restaurant etc.), however is taking cash out from a bank ATM machine at GRU recommended? I may not get the best rate but at the same time I don't want to be carrying large amounts of USD cash with me either, unless the difference in rates in what I get at the ATM and what I get at one of the bureaus etc. Is significantly better.

Albert Punter
03-11-15, 06:16
As far as I know taking cash from ATM is fine and somewhat convenient. Surely more convenient than exchanging at airport.

Am coming to SP on business nest week. Usually I use my CC for all business related expenses (hotel, restaurant etc.), however is taking cash out from a bank ATM machine at GRU recommended? I may not get the best rate but at the same time I don't want to be carrying large amounts of USD cash with me either, unless the difference in rates in what I get at the ATM and what I get at one of the bureaus etc. Is significantly better.

AltoBomGosto
03-11-15, 11:07
Am coming to SP on business nest week. Usually I use my CC for all business related expenses (hotel, restaurant etc.), however is taking cash out from a bank ATM machine at GRU recommended? I may not get the best rate but at the same time I don't want to be carrying large amounts of USD cash with me either, unless the difference in rates in what I get at the ATM and what I get at one of the bureaus etc. Is significantly better.If you don't need a large amout of cash and you are in a hurry use the ATMs at GRU. The exchange rates are fair at these ATMs.

The total cost will depend how much your bank will charge you.

The worst to do is to change at GRU banks.

Phunluv
03-12-15, 05:06
Guys,

I won't be able to travel down to Rio for at least another 4 months; is there any way I can buy reais and lock in these current exchange rates?

I saw something online about a MasterCard multi-currency "cash passport" (a debit card you load with foreign currency) but it only uses the major world currencies, wish I could find something like that where you can load it with Colombian pesos or Brazilian reais.

Java Man
03-12-15, 22:03
Guys, I won't be able to travel down to Rio for at least another 4 months; is there any way I can buy reais and lock in these current exchange rates?Since you posted the Real has dropped more against the dollar. Brazil's economy is currently on a downturn. US is UP. This trend is expected to continue. Those Reals you buy and lock now will be worth less when you use them. BTW, Google is your friend: http://www.multicurrencycashpassport.com/us
Read the fine print, lots of fees: $5 to reload it, 5.50% foreign exchange fee, WTF?! :eek:

Hobbying
03-12-15, 23:41
Limits seems to vary depending on location. I got 1000 from HSBC machine at CGH airport but 750 from a branch. Bradesco is 800 everywhere. Banco do Brasil is 1000. Branches of itau will let you take 1500 with a 12 R fee.

Sperto
03-13-15, 01:38
Speaking about ATM limits.

My experience is:
Banco do Brasil, HSBC, Citybank, 24 horas: limit R$1000.
Banco Bradesco: limit R$800.

For the last days it seems like Banco do Brasil doesn't allow R$1000 withdrawals anymore. Me and a couple of friends had this experience. Today I asked a funcionario at BB about this matter. Not surprisingly he had no explaination. Not really a problem for me as I just head to a HSBC instead. Still a bit weird if they have lowered the limit.

AltoBomGosto
03-13-15, 03:28
Am coming to SP on business nest week. Usually I use my CC for all business related expenses (hotel, restaurant etc.), however is taking cash out from a bank ATM machine at GRU recommended? I may not get the best rate but at the same time I don't want to be carrying large amounts of USD cash with me either, unless the difference in rates in what I get at the ATM and what I get at one of the bureaus etc. Is significantly better.You can use the ATMs at GRU, rates are not so different of the ones at Av. Paulista banks.

Wach out the amount of fees and comissions your bank will charge!

ABG.

Phunluv
03-13-15, 06:40
Since you posted the Real has dropped more against the dollar. Brazil's economy is currently on a downturn. US is UP. This trend is expected to continue. Those Reals you buy and lock now will be worth less when you use them. BTW, Google is your friend: http://www.multicurrencycashpassport.com/us
Read the fine print, lots of fees: $5 to reload it, 5.50% foreign exchange fee, WTF?! :eek:Thanks.

I checked out the link, it was similar to other ones I googled up. They all mention the main world currencies (euros, pounds, us dollars, yen. . .) but not reais or Colombian pesos.

I know the rate is likely to get better but I'm worried six months from now, it'll probably stabilize to 2. 5.

I don't believe the hype that these amazing rates are here to stay for a long period of time. Policy people here in the USA Are already complaining the dollar is too strong, hurting USA Exports and eventually Wall Street.

And even if it does go to say 3. 5 I'm happy buying some reais at 3 because last time I was in Rio, the rate was 1. 6.

I think I'll just buy about $1500 dollars worth of reais over here in NYC although I try to avoid carrying that kind of cash around me when I travel for obvious security reasons.

Java Man
03-13-15, 09:23
My past experience: HSBC in Copa only gave me $R300 per day, even though I have a US HSBC account. Citibank in Copa: two $R1000 withdrawals per day. The Citibank ATM in Ipanema has a $R2500 limit per day: Two $R1000 and one $R500 withdrawal.

Hobbying
03-13-15, 11:08
I don't get surcharges at Banco do Brasil or bradesco or hsbc. Itau and citi and Banco 24 horas always has surcharges. My ATM card never worked at Santander or Caixa.

AltoBomGosto
03-13-15, 13:07
My past experience: HSBC in Copa only gave me $R300 per day, even though I have a US HSBC account. Citibank in Copa: two $R1000 withdrawals per day. The Citibank ATM in Ipanema has a $R2500 limit per day: Two $R1000 and one $R500 withdrawal.Bradesco ATM on Avenida Paulista daily BRL 1000,00.

George90
03-13-15, 18:47
Since you posted the Real has dropped more against the dollar. Brazil's economy is currently on a downturn. US is UP. This trend is expected to continue.Is the Brazilian economy in free fall? XE.com has the real at 3.25. That is a decline of 10%-12% in the past 2-3 weeks!

I read recently that the US dollar is on a tear. Even the Euro seems to be falling with no end in sight. It is almost at parity with the USD. I remember in 2009 when the euro was at 1.40 something and the European (German really) economy was going gangbusters.

George90
03-13-15, 18:52
I'd like to travel to Brazil in May. I hope the dollar stays strong against the real. I am concerned about Brazilian inflation. There is little benefit to a favorable exchange rate if all the gain is eaten up in higher prices.

Exec Talent
03-13-15, 18:58
Is the Brazilian economy in free fall? XE.com has the real at 3.25. That is a decline of 10%-12% in the past 2-3 weeks!

I read recently that the US dollar is on a tear. Even the Euro seems to be falling with no end in sight. It is almost at parity with the USD. I remember in 2009 when the euro was at 1.40 something and the European (German really) economy was going gangbusters.Not hard to predict and something I have been saying for some time.

There were a lot of unskilled labor jobs paying decent wages leading up to the World Cup. Inflation was out of control particularly in the housing sector. Brazilians do not save and their credit card default rate is at about 30%. Prices are still up and work is not available. The result is going to be a lot more crime as the have not go after the possessions of the haves. Not pretty.

Hobbying
03-13-15, 19:03
I'd like to travel to Brazil in May. I hope the dollar stays strong against the real. I am concerned about Brazilian inflation. There is little benefit to a favorable exchange rate if all the gain is eaten up in higher prices.Inflation is about 8% now but the Real has gained 16% this year. But I'm paying the same price for girls as I did couple of years ago when it was 1.6 so no need to worry about inflation with the girls LOL.