PDA

View Full Version : Giotto's Lodge Website: Proposals, Ideas, Problems

Giotto
01-29-08, 06:36
All,

I got a PM from a member that our website is very slow at the moment. I tried it from here, and all screen came up really fast.

Can somebody in USA, Europe or Australia check out the performance of the website and give me a feedback?

http://www.livingstones.co.th

Thanks.

Giotto

1Ball
01-29-08, 07:50
All,

I got a PM from a member that our website is very slow at the moment. I tried it from here, and all screen came up really fast.

Can somebody in USA, Europe or Australia check out the performance of the website and give me a feedback?

Thanks.

Giotto
I just tried it, and it is fine. hope that helps.

M P Lurker
01-29-08, 08:22
All,

Thanks.

Giotto
In Aus, I'm on a 48 mbps connection.
The basic screen text comes up fast as usual, but picture is quite slow.

Rambis Youth
01-29-08, 14:42
Very slow for me in Aus.

Viscount
01-29-08, 15:05
All,

Thanks.

GiottoVery slow also in Europe,the website is found and loads up fast but the dowload of the pictures is the slow part.

Hope that helps.

1Ball
01-29-08, 15:47
normal speed in taipei.

Revcolinn
01-29-08, 18:30
Hi,

Slower than usual in South Africa.

The rev

Buko Max
01-29-08, 19:04
Here in the Great White North I logged on five minutes ago and the home page still has not loaded completely.

Giotto
01-29-08, 19:15
Here in the Great White North I logged on five minutes ago and the home page still has not loaded completely.Mattrick,

Thanks, where is the Great White North?

Giotto

Sonic Bam
01-29-08, 20:32
second what mattrick reports. in the great wet north (uk) home page opens fine then hangs on the picture "front_new.jpg". over 5mins and still not downloaded on a 100 mps connection.

boutique lodge page the same - hanging on pictures.

32 days and counting. :-) (days till los, not download speed)

Giotto
01-29-08, 22:43
Thanks for all feedbacks,

does anybody have an idea why pictures download so slowly, and why the page is fast in Asia but not in other areas?

Any recommendation what I can do, the ISP / host is Loxinfo, a professional "Internet Service Provider".

Service Provider - that must be it :) .

Give me a BJ, please :).

Giotto

Member #3428
01-29-08, 22:54
does anybody have an idea why pictures download so slowly, and why the page is fast in Asia but not in other areas?

Any recommendation what I can do, the ISP / host is Loxinfo, a professional "Internet Service Provider".

Damn you are up late. Loxinfo's own web page does not load up fast either. So maybe it is an issue with them. Between ISP's and ISP's. I'd call them and report it. Other sites in Thai load up same as before.

Stiffoak 571
01-29-08, 23:39
Struggles to get the full page loaded here in UK. Which is fine as I don't really want the pics visible when I have to show wifey where I have booked for my BKK stay! Better to switch to general view of lodge for business/attached users and the full pics of sports bar et al for ISG types?

Kommodore
01-30-08, 01:48
Thanks for all feedbacks,

Any recommendation what I can do, the ISP / host is Loxinfo, a professional "Internet Service Profider".Giotto,

I'm writing to you from the Wet & Windy North (Ireland). The Livingstone's Website has been suffering for at least a month now. I logged onto the website back in December and the impression I got was not good. Pictures not downloading etc etc. It was only after I recently had some time on my hands and actually took the time to delve into the emails in this forum that I got what I now believe to be a more accurate impression of the lodge. In short the website is currently not really helping your business and is probably causing more harm than good. I do not mean to be stating the obvious to you or to be telling you information that you probably already know. I applaud what you are endeavouring to accomplish and hope to perhaps some day visit your fine establishment. I believe your ISP is not doing you any favours.

Best regards

AronJoseph

Etaoin2003
01-30-08, 03:29
Looks like Loxinfo gets their Internet connectivity from Hong Kong (PCCW), which is very well connected. All the buggering up appears to be inside Loxinfo's network. But then, I've seen BKK phone cables and I'm amazed they work at all.

M P Lurker
01-30-08, 08:34
in aus, i'm on a 48 mbps connection.
the basic screen text comes up fast as usual, but picture is quite slow.
re: http://www.livingstones.co.th/
today the picture downloaded at much more normal speed.
not sure why today is much better.

Dirty Tom
01-30-08, 09:39
All,

Thanks.

Giotto

California - loads the page fine, but the picture takes for ever to come up.

Shorty1
01-30-08, 12:14
It works quite good.

(Location: Livingstone Pool Area)

Buko Max
01-30-08, 16:33
Mattrick,

Thanks, where is the Great White North?
Hello Giotto,

That would be Canada, eh! Anyway, it is an intermitent problem because the page loaded normally the few times I tried last night. Today it is slow again.

GolfNutt
01-31-08, 06:01
Hello Giotto,

Although 1Ball says the web site is looking good from the western USA, it's quite slow from the Midwest at the moment.

I had a great time during my stay in December and will be back soon in March! I need to write some posts about my last trip one of these days, but work has been a pain.

That poolside PC setup you have sure beats my office. Don't work too hard over there. See you soon.

GolfNutt

Giotto
01-31-08, 06:12
It works quite good.

(Location: Livingstone Pool Area)Shorty1,

LOL. Bestard :) !

Giotto

Duniawala
01-31-08, 06:12
worked a little better than the last time. but i would say that it is performing at 75%. that's from la california. avg. time for page loading is about 60-90 secs on a hi-speed broadband line.

Duniawala
02-02-08, 11:22
Giotto,

as a well informed person who hopefully reads newspapers, sees the news on TV and have lots to say about almost any issue brought up in this forum you should know that an important internet backbone at the North African coast is broken. Providers try to reroute the traffic until the damage is fixed.

Question is, where is that member located ?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/01/31/dubai.outage/index.html?eref=rss_topstories
The slow connection was reported by me about 10 days before Dr. G brought it up. It has nothing to do with the recent breakage of the undersea cables.

I am located in SoCal, USA.

Blink157
02-04-08, 18:25
Hello,
yes your website is a bit slow in Germany, actually I wanted to tell this while residing in your lodge, but I was allways a bit busy or sleeping (coma).

But heyyy, slow aint that bad, you can allways say that the average time viewing your website is 30 minutes :D which makes other hotelwebsites/booking engines jellous... :D

More to come, until now its a freezing Hellau from Germany....my feet are cold and nobody around ....god thanks next month Im back :)

Happy hunting!

regards to staff

Blink

Stiffoak 571
02-27-08, 23:53
Hi Giotto,

just to let you know the website isn't coming up at all when I try to get it here in UK

Giotto
02-28-08, 06:20
just to let you know the website isn't coming up at all when i try to get it here in ukstiffoak 571,

damned, i don't know what to do any more. my isp told me to speed up the website, to cache the pictures...

please try again, any changes?

www.livingstones.co.th

giotto

PassinThrough
02-28-08, 06:39
Works for me even when I force it to download the page again and not use the cache. Try clearing yoru cache on the browser and try again. Also go to a website you regularly use and try one you have never visited before (do a random google search) and see if they both load up fine.

PIT

Stiffoak 571
02-28-08, 19:31
Working today. And maybe the pics are coming up faster

The line is ok my end. Downloaded some music fine yesterday and went to other thai sites with. Th addresses. Could be all those Thai looking for Thaksins flight details slowed it down!

Just need to show mrs stiffoak as she is asking questions about my venue in BKK with only 3 weeks to go until touchdown.

Traveler1234
04-13-08, 12:54
Just wondering whether you would consider starting another thread for MP and move your earlier reports plus the recent ones that Mick wrote. Just keep it as a thread for these updated 'guides' and make sure the chit chat starts in the regular Thailand thread?

Just an idea to consider.

Giotto
04-15-08, 04:51
Just wondering whether you would consider starting another thread for MP and move your earlier reports plus the recent ones that Mick wrote. Just keep it as a thread for these updated 'guides' and make sure the chit chat starts in the regular Thailand thread?

Just an idea to consider.Mr. Marketing Director,

I am just preparing some new ideas for this forum - some more days and the project starts.

Thanks

Giotto

SE Asia Joe
04-15-08, 05:09
Mr. Marketing Director,

I am just preparing some new ideas for this forum - some more days and the project starts.

Thanks

Giotto
Like I just said in the Racism in Thailand Thread - you guys in Thailand REALLY do have a helluva lot of threads and topics!
I'd suggest that rather than assisting your marketing effort, that more threads would instead just dilute the content of each thread.
The fewer threads, the more you could concentrate all your efforts to popularizing the threads alreay existing.

Just IMHO - and Traveler1234 - peace and saltuations to you!

SEAJ

M P Lurker
04-15-08, 13:46
stiffoak 571,

damned, i don't know what to do any more. my isp told me to speed up the website, to cache the pictures...

please try again, any changes?

www.livingstones.co.th

giotto
i just tried it here in aus.
the picture came up in stunningly quick time.
this is way better than i used to get. :)

Petemcc
04-27-08, 12:40
Most of the restaurant links are down, from memory:
The Thai restaurant link in its entirety
The Steak House-menu details.

Petemcc

LuvDaPuss
04-27-08, 18:33
took just over 1 minute to get the home pic completely downloaded. i have a high speed dsl connection. very slow for whatever reason.

location = california...........ldp

Duniawala
04-28-08, 16:20
Downloading a bit slow.The main menu in the steak house, disappeared. Loc: SoCal, USA

Taipei Traveller
04-30-08, 03:41

very very slow, took about 4 minutes to load the home page fully, it is the pictures that are causing the issue as others have mentioned. based in taiwan.

giotto, took some time today to look at the coding of your website, and i don't see any issues there, my take on this is that the problem lies with whoever is hosting the website, maybe they have to many websites on the one server or have to much traffic for the websites they are hosting when compared to the internet line that they are using.

if you can get a decent internet connection yourself, then it might be worth doing the hosting yourself as the cost for setting up a pc is pretty small.

Bob Down
05-06-08, 09:11
Hi Giotto,

I am looking to be back in BKK around Sept./Oct. and I am looking for somewhere new to stay. I tried to book a room with LL May last year, but did not get a reply so I went back to Soi 4. Has there been a problem with bookings and is there a problem now.

Secondly I was looking through the website and had trouble with one of your links, I went to the sports lounge and clicked on "our drinks" but no page came up.

Giotto
05-07-08, 05:23
Hi Giotto,

I am looking to be back in BKK around Sept./Oct. and I am looking for somewhere new to stay. I tried to book a room with LL May last year, but did not get a reply so I went back to Soi 4. Has there been a problem with bookings and is there a problem now.

Secondly I was looking through the website and had trouble with one of your links, I went to the sports lounge and clicked on "our drinks" but no page came up.Bob Down,

We hear about problems that the website is slow in some parts of the world - whenever and wherever I check it here in Thailand (and Singapore, Hongkong, even Germany) it is ok.

Reg. the booking page - we get every day several bookings / request via that system, it is up and running. Please try and let me know the outcome.

The website: http://www.livingstones.co.th

You can use also the E-Mail info@livingstones.co.th for reservation requests.

Giotto

Petemcc
05-07-08, 10:53
G
Have you checked everything?
Honestly, the menu for the restaurants is down. You can get the headings, but no details. When you click on, for example main courses from the steakhouse, you get a blank page.

Kenya69
05-07-08, 12:36
Mr G.,

If it is any help it is the same here in Canada as Petemcc and BD say. Site is real real slow and not all pages come up.

Giotto
05-07-08, 17:53
G
Have you checked everything?
Honestly, the menu for the restaurants is down. You can get the headings, but no details. When you click on, for example main courses from the steakhouse, you get a blank page.Petemcc,

To deactivate the menus was one of the last activities of our [ex-]website design company. They tried to implement a database functionality to enable us to enter our menu by our own (because it changes sometimes), and that was it :(.

We are working with a different company now, and there will be a complete new website soon.

Giotto

Petemcc
05-08-08, 08:10
Petemcc,

To deactivate the menus was one of the last activities of our [ex-]website design company. They tried to implement a database functionality to enable us to enter our menu by our own (because it changes sometimes), and that was it :(.

We are working with a different company now, and there will be a complete new website soon.

Giotto

Thanks
Pete

Bob Down
05-08-08, 10:25
Bob Down,

We hear about problems that the website is slow in some parts of the world - whenever and wherever I check it here in Thailand (and Singapore, Hongkong, even Germany) it is ok.

Reg. the booking page - we get every day several bookings / request via that system, it is up and running. Please try and let me know the outcome.

The website: http://www.livingstones.co.th

You can use also the E-Mail info@livingstones.co.th for reservation requests.

Giotto
No problem, if I have any trouble when I decide to book I will let you know. I am still to decide when I will be back in BKK.

Flyhere
06-30-08, 07:56
hi giotto,

i am browsing livingstone's website from california here, trying to get a feel for things there (like what kind of food you offer and how much is a dinner dish). a few observations if i may:

- the site is super slow and the pages take way too long to load. could be the pages with the photos, and could also be the thai internet or the host, but people would tend to give up on a slow site, so it's not a good thing. i would look at ways to speed things up. if it's a thailand problem, an option would be to host it outside the country.

- another option is to separate the text pages and the photos pages, and setup a dynamic photo gallery where you can add photos without rebuilding the pages. you may already have this, although i got the impression that your pages are static.

- the restaurant menus are down. i read a few posts back that it's being changed over, but it does not look professional when a business has broken links. and it shouldn't take that long to change things over or fix broken links, more than 2-3 days is way too long. i would try to fix this asap.

- the pages all have different looks and color schemes. did you do this on purpose?

please note that i am not a professional web designer or webmaster, although i run a couple of non-business websites of my own. these are merely friendly observations for what they are worth, i just think that a more speedy website would keep the reader's interest a bit more. and as long as your business makes money and the reservation system works, that's what counts the most.

cheers
fly

ps. i have a few other suggestions, i'll mention them over a beer when i get there.

Taipei Traveller
07-08-08, 03:01
Hi Giotto

The link to Special Events is not working correctly, instead of loading the page it is asking me what i want to do with the events.php file, this is definitely a coding issue.

Will pop in some time over the next few weeks as will be spending some time in BKK over the next couple of months.

SexWithSmile
07-08-08, 19:33
greetings dr g.

i was thinking about it for a long time, what would be suuupppeeerrr cool, is to have the directions from the airport to the lodge on a small jpg or pdf file in thai. so we simply print it, and give it to the taxi driver.

i know it is theoretically easy: sukhumvit, soi 33. but from the airport many drivers claim to be lost. also, as traffic can be mad, it is always good to show the directions through the uncluttered roads, instead of being stuck for 30 minutes on sukhumvit. well, we are giving much work to dr g. so let us say kudo, cheers, and waiting for the brand new site with live webcams inside the rooms.

Goodman666
07-09-08, 10:34
Hi Giotto,

Checked your website from Germany with DSL.

I would say its quick as quick ět should be

Regards,

Goodman666

Slylock
01-07-09, 17:34
Hi Giotto,

I was looking thru the your site and some of the .PHP tried to download themselves instead of opening. At first the problem only happened on the MENU tabs for your restaurants. Then it happened for a photo gallery (The beer garden I believe). This issue may just be mine, I am using Firefox 3.0.5 for Linux.

Cheers!

Giotto
01-11-09, 17:12
I was looking thru the your site and some of the .PHP tried to download themselves instead of opening. At first the problem only happened on the MENU tabs for your restaurants. Then it happened for a photo gallery (The beer garden I believe). This issue may just be mine, I am using Firefox 3.0.5 for Linux.
Slylock,

Never heard about that problem. I just checked it out - works normal for me (that what works - :) works normal).

Giotto

Slylock
01-12-09, 14:12
Thanks Giotto,

It's probably some setting I have messed up on my Firefox! thanks a million for checking it out!

Slylock