PDA

View Full Version : Using Cell Phones in Brazil

Brazilman
02-20-08, 21:08
I have a stupid question about cell phones. I have never had a cell phone in brazil, but am thinking of using one next trip. If I bring my own cell phone from the US, will it work, or do you need to get one from there.

Cho 637
02-21-08, 05:14
I have a stupid question about cell phones. I have never had a cell phone in brazil, but am thinking of using one next trip. If I bring my own cell phone from the US, will it work, or do you need to get one from there.

Yes, your phone will work but you may have to have "international roaming " activated by your service provider before you leave on your trip. Remember, you will be using international roaming which can cost much more than your regular charges (T-Mobile is $2.99 a minute).As long as your phone is GSM (has a sim card), you can purchase a sim card from a local service provider like TIM, or Claro (about R17), then you can purchase a pre-paid card (for minutes) from any newstand. Much, much cheaper than international roaming.

Exec Talent
02-21-08, 10:02
Yes, your phone will work but you may have to have "international roaming " activated by your service provider before you leave on your trip. Remember, you will be using international roaming which can cost much more than your regular charges (T-Mobile is $2.99 a minute).As long as your phone is GSM (has a sim card), you can purchase a sim card from a local service provider like TIM, or Claro (about R17), then you can purchase a pre-paid card (for minutes) from any newstand. Much, much cheaper than international roaming.

If I had 5 centavos for every person (Brazilians) whose cell phone has been stolen, I would have enough for a free termas program. Although prices have come done here on cell phones, they are still being stolen.

If you are renting an apartment, the agency should be able to provide you with a cell phone. If you stay at a hotel, consider buying a cheap phone and then recharging it at the supermarket or Lojas Americanas.

Jesuscola
02-21-08, 13:15
If I had 5 centavos for every person (Brazilians) whose cell phone has been stolen, I would have enough for a free termas program. Although prices have come done here on cell phones, they are still being stolen.

If you are renting an apartment, the agency should be able to provide you with a cell phone. If you stay at a hotel, consider buying a cheap phone and then recharging it at the supermarket or Lojas Americanas.

I wouldn't use your American cell phone, no. It must not only be GSM (3 or 4 band) but unlocked as well. Many apartment rental agencies will provide you with a cell phone, and some provide cell phones for rent at a cheap rate. That said, if you plan on staying longer than 10 days or so, and making frequent trips, consider buying the cheapest phone that Tim or Claro has (on sale, you can occasionally find a cheap Nokia for around R$100 reals), or picking up a Motorola V3 unlocked on Ebay for around $100 US. Then get a chip from your favorite provider for around R$17-R$25 reals.

Used to be that, depending on the provider, the chip would become unusable after 3 months of inactivity, but I understand that a new law has passed that mandates a number stay active for a minimum of 6 months, regardless of provider. So if you know you're coming at least every 6 months, it may make sense to get your own phone and number. Just make the phone a disposable one as ET advises.

Off Road
02-21-08, 14:23
I have a stupid question about cell phones. I have never had a cell phone in brazil, but am thinking of using one next trip. If I bring my own cell phone from the US, will it work, or do you need to get one from there.Best thing to do imho, is to bring your phone, buy a sim chip here and use that, it will not cost much.
1. You have to have a phone that uses a SIM chip, the cheaper the phone the better, as ET said phones are stolen all the time (just keep in your pocket, do not set them on a table).
2. The phone must be unlocked. Phones are typically electronicly locked to one service provider (cingular, t-mobile, etc). You can test by putting in a friends chip from a different provider and see if it asks for a code when powered on. You can unlock phones from a lot of places, just google cell phone unlock.
3. When you get here, go to TIM, Oi or Claro store and purchase a SIM chip. TIM is R$15. You will need your passport to purchase.
4. This will be a pre-paid chip, you purchase cards as the newstands for various amouts like R$15, R$25. You enter the code on the phone and there you are! Calls are not very expensive.

Some guys will buy a phone there in the US, not too expensive, bring down here and then trade sex on the last day for the phone. You can find a lot of phones that are unlocked on e-bay.

Exec Talent
02-21-08, 17:03
Someone correct me if I am wrong because I have not done this in awhile, but I believe if you purchase a card at a newsstand you have to know Portuguese or have someone who does do it for you.

I have found it easiest to either recharge at the supermarket or at Lojas Americanas. All you have to do is hold up the phone, tell them 21 for the city code, tell them the company - Oi, Claro, Tim (for example) and the amount. All these will appear on screen so you just point if necessary. Then you need to enter your number twice into a keypad. No Portuguese is necessary.

Jesuscola
02-21-08, 17:46
Someone correct me if I am wrong because I have not done this in awhile, but I believe if you purchase a card at a newsstand you have to know Portuguese or have someone who does do it for you.

I have found it easiest to either recharge at the supermarket or at Lojas Americanas. All you have to do is hold up the phone, tell them 21 for the city code, tell them the company - Oi, Claro, Tim (for example) and the amount. All these will appear on screen so you just point if necessary. Then you need to enter your number twice into a keypad. No Portuguese is necessary.

More or less, yes. You have to understand as much Portuguese as is necessary to navigate the menus for the service provider.

Certain stores and travel agencies have the machines you mention. They will send the credits automatically to your phone without you having to enter a code. This does not work for TIM--you still have to enter a code which the machine provides, and so still must understand some Portuguese. For the rest of the providers, you don't have to do anything. You'll automatically have the credits.

Cho 637
02-21-08, 20:37
More or less, yes. You have to understand as much Portuguese as is necessary to navigate the menus for the service provider.

Certain stores and travel agencies have the machines you mention. They will send the credits automatically to your phone without you having to enter a code. This does not work for TIM--you still have to enter a code which the machine provides, and so still must understand some Portuguese. For the rest of the providers, you don't have to do anything. You'll automatically have the credits.

You are right, in that you need to understand a little portuguese when using TIM. However, I had it explained to me when I brought the sim card. After inserting the sim card dail *222, then press 1 (for a pre-paid card), then enter the number from the card (scratch off), it will tell you that you were successful. That's it. It will ask you some more questions but it is not necessary to answer them, you will have your credits.

Ryjerrob
02-24-08, 15:47
I was a little intimidated by the whole automated voice system myself. I would ask others to recharge my phone, then started doing it myself. It really wasn't as difficult as I first thought. Another way is if you find a news stand that doesn't actually sell cards, but does the recharge for you. I do have my own vivo phone, but am looking at trying something else since my travel plans are always including new destinations.

ryjer

Java Man
02-24-08, 18:08
When I first start traveling to Rio, I did not understand the automated menu to recharge the phones, and had the news stand vender do it for me. It's really not that hard.
Currently I'm using Claro. To recharge Claro, dial *500, when the automenu answers enter "2" then enter the code from the recharge card, followed by *.

The fine print on the Recharge card also states you can recharge your GSM phone by dialing *577* followed by the recharge code followed by #

Dial *544# to find how many credits you have left. Claro will send you a free text message with that information and when the credits will expire.

If your looking for an cheap unlocked cell phone, ebay is a good source. Another good vender is: www.N1wireless.com
I purchased my unlocked Morotola RizR from them. They're located in NYC.
If you want to get an unlocked phone in Rio, go to the open air market in Centro. (All those stolen phones have to end up somewhere.) They'll even Mod it for you. I recommend having a local buy it, in order to get a fair price. Like everything else, the price increases when they hear a gringo voice.

FYI, If you're thinking of buying a phone from one of the cellular phone companies, they charge more for phones used with the pre-paid calling cards. Currently the cheapest phone at Claro.com.br, at $R140, is the Samsung C260.

Spinnerman
03-02-08, 14:56
I use Tim cause most of my friends in Rio use Tim, so it's cheap to call each other. Dead simple to refill. Dial 222 the voice speaks slowly and clearly tells you your balance, then gives you your options you want numero 1, to refill, then it says in portuguese enter your 16 digit code. Which you do, done, nothing else to do. Dead simple.

General Custer
03-03-08, 23:00
Hello all,

I am taking my first trip to Rio and SP next month and wondering if anyone has experience with the Vivo wireless service? Seems like they are the only wireless provider to support GSM 850 in Brazil, and the only unlocked phone I have is standard U.S.A. dual band 850/1900 (a Motorola C139). Has anyone used Vivo SIMs in a U.S. dual band phone in Brazil? Is it comparable to Tim/Oi/Claro - buy the sim for prepaid service and recharge as needed with cards? Thanks in advance.

General Custer

Stop To Love
03-23-08, 07:08
I am knew at this. Can anyone tell me what type of cell phone I need to bring with me that I can use in Brazil?

Java Man
03-24-08, 06:15
I am knew at this. Can anyone tell me what type of cell phone I need to bring with me that I can use in Brazil?

Plan on returning frequently Stop to Love? If not, best to just rent a phone. If you plan on returning frequently, you'll need an unlocked tri-band or quad-band phone that will accept a SIM chip. Motorola, Sony-Ericcson, Samsung are the brands that quickly come to mind. They can be found on eBay for $150+
Go to www.celluloco.com they have a feature on their site that checks the phones worldwide compatibility.

Edward M
03-25-08, 01:22
Plan on returning frequently Stop to Love? If not, best to just rent a phone. If you plan on returning frequently, you'll need an unlocked tri-band or quad-band phone that will accept a SIM chip. Motorola, Sony-Ericcson, Samsung are the brands that quickly come to mind. They can be found on eBay for $150+
Go to www.celluloco.com they have a feature on their site that checks the phones worldwide compatibility.I got one for "free" by getting a pre-paid plan with Cellular One and I just had to put down $50 for my minutes. I just had to make sure I went to a Cellular One store and not a reseller. The resellers had waiting periods and procedures to unlock the phone but mine was ready to use right away. Funny that the legit Cellular One store and the resellers were all in kiosks in the same mall.

Java Man
03-25-08, 05:39
I got one for "free" by getting a pre-paid plan with Cellular One..

Cellular One is not available in my area. Their website referred me to T-Mobile. I didn't like the T-Mobile pre-paid phones. Which cell phone did you get for $50? Also did that come with a contract?

Edward M
03-26-08, 01:19
Cellular One is not available in my area. Their website referred me to T-Mobile. I didn't like the T-Mobile pre-paid phones. Which cell phone did you get for $50? Also did that come with a contract?It was a basic Motorola (no camera or anything) but it is fine and fairly small. They had a lot of free phones to choose from. No contract. Just pre-paid minutes. You do not even have to give your name.

Jan 156
03-26-08, 02:38
I don't know about USA but you can get a phone unlocked in Centro easy enough.

I reckon best is to take the cheapest nastiest throw-away phone you can find from a second hand shop, the sort that's so old you hardly should pay money. Get it unlocked and get a sim in Brasil. It can be used without being a muggers magnet.

If you need a separate quad phone (to phone home or whatever) you can leave it in your hotel room. It has not been my experience that phoning home on quod roaming rates is more expensive than doing it thru TIM - the minute you phone out of Rio city limits the cost rockets.

Devileyes
03-30-08, 02:59
I don't know about USA but you can get a phone unlocked in Centro easy enough.

I reckon best is to take the cheapest nastiest throw-away phone you can find from a second hand shop, the sort that's so old you hardly should pay money. Get it unlocked and get a sim in Brasil. It can be used without being a muggers magnet.

If you need a separate quad phone (to phone home or whatever) you can leave it in your hotel room. It has not been my experience that phoning home on quod roaming rates is more expensive than doing it thru TIM - the minute you phone out of Rio city limits the cost rockets.I found a place right at the airport (outside the arrival doors). Bought a sim for my unlocked quad band phone, and had it installed and added one recharge for about 40BR. (could be more now). No need for ID of any kind, paid cash. Also if you are near the Beira Mar, there is a shop next to MacDonalds that got me a sim and took care of getting it working. Again no ID, but I needed my broken Portuguese to get it done. Stick with the small shops and news stands and always ask the person selling you the recharge to add it to your phone. I never had a problem with this. Knock on a coconut for luck.

Off Road
03-30-08, 12:26
Hello all,

I am taking my first trip to Rio and SP next month and wondering if anyone has experience with the Vivo wireless service? Seems like they are the only wireless provider to support GSM 850 in Brazil, and the only unlocked phone I have is standard U.S.A. dual band 850/1900 (a Motorola C139). Has anyone used Vivo SIMs in a U.S. dual band phone in Brazil? Is it comparable to Tim/Oi/Claro - buy the sim for prepaid service and recharge as needed with cards? Thanks in advance.

General CusterI am not positive, but I think VIVO is line only, not sim. Get TIM or Oi, best reception in Copa.

Off Road
03-30-08, 12:38
Just to recap for others.

The Phone:
1. Purchase a phone in the USA or home conuntry, preferably a quad band but tri band is fine, that takes SIM chips. You can find lots of them on ebay. It has to be unlocked. Most of the ones on ebay are unlocked. Your choice as to what you want to risk. Men do not have as many phones stolen as women (they habitually leave them on the tables in bars). I use a Moto Razr V3, very common phone here. I did an ebay search on Motorola Unlocked Phone, and got ton of them for $25 plue $10 shipping.
2. Test to see if unlocked. Do this in the USA. Borrow a friends SIM from a different provider than yours. If it asks for a provider unlock code when you power on with their chip, it is LOCKED.
3. Locked in this sense means it is locked into one provider. You can search on the net for cell phone unlock. There are plenty of companies that can provide you with the code or method to unlock. Costs about $15.
4. You can always sell your phone on the last day here, and actually make some money, or give to a girl for services!

The SIM chip:
1. Purchase at a TIM or OI store, all along NS Copacabana in Rio, or in shopping malls in Rio or other cities.
2. You will need your orignal passport (others have said a color copy works, but I have had to go back to the apartment to get my original on several occasions).
3. The chips cost about R$15 (TIM does, I have a couple I bought for me to loan to my friends when they come to town).
4. Recharge the chips with cards you can buy or you can recharge at some stores. The cards are easiest, sold at newsstands in various demoninations.
5. Dial *222 and then listen to the portuguese (they will say very quickly how much credit you have), then enter 1, wait and then enter the code from the card (cards have a scratch off spot with the code beneath).
6. The chip will be good forever, IF you use is like once every 90 days. Not exactly sure of the time, but they will expire if not used.

Renting phones is another option, probably $5 us dollars a day.

JohnnyBraz
04-01-08, 09:53
Personally,

I take my n95 nokia, take my chip out off it and put my Rio tim one in it, each time I need to re-charge, I go to a tim store on ns copacabana, there is always someone that speaks english, and they gladly put the money credits that I want on for me. When I bought my tim chip, they tested it on my phone to see if it would first work, and it did, but I didn't have my pasport on me, so I had to go back to my apartment, get my passport then back to the store. (I never carry my passport round with me, nor do I carry a copy.) they were more than helpful. It is a must for every monger to have a brazilian number. And it is so amusing to watch your phone constantly ring from 9pm till 12:00 with gdp's hanging up wanting you to phone them back. If your phone is not blocked to your network. Take it with you. Tim will see if there chip works in it.

Off Road
04-04-08, 02:12
If your phone is not blocked to your network. Take it with you. Tim will see if there chip works in it.
Like I mentioned, before you come down, put in another USA carriers chip and power up.. if it asks for service provider code, the phone is locked/Blocked. You can unlock in the USA easier.

Abzsafado
04-05-08, 02:52
Buy a cheap phone from Claro or Tim, it's not very difficult, or expensive. Buy the cheapest one they have then you don't have to worry about unlocking it, losing it or having it stolen.
Of course if you want a phone for the bling factor this isn't an option for you; however in Rio shiny things attract the wrong kind of attention.

Jan 156
04-05-08, 12:05
Buy a cheap phone from Claro or Tim, it's not very difficult, or expensive. Buy the cheapest one they have then you don't have to worry about unlocking it, losing it or having it stolen.
Of course if you want a phone for the bling factor this isn't an option for you; however in Rio shiny things attract the wrong kind of attention.

Totally agree. Lads on Uruguiana most days with big notices offering to unlock it

Sunset Strip
04-13-08, 21:11

A,

Are you saying it is a good option to just buy a cheap pay-as-you go phone in Brazil?
If so, how much do they usually run. Thanks.

And do you use the same phone when you return to Brazil.

I would like to just buy a Brazilian phone to use when I am there every 3 months.
obrigado,
TJ

Abzsafado
04-14-08, 00:00
A,

Are you saying it is a good option to just buy a cheap pay-as-you go phone in Brazil?
If so, how much do they usually run. Thanks.

And do you use the same phone when you return to Brazil.

I would like to just buy a Brazilian phone to use when I am there every 3 months.
obrigado,
TJ

You can buy a new phone locked to TIM or Claro from about R$200, it won't be an all singing and dancing model but it will do the job. You can get cheaper second hand ones in centro for a lot less. Casa and Video, and Lojas Americanas do special offers, unlocked sometimes, for a very good price.

Sunset Strip
04-14-08, 19:15
Thanks. I think I will buy one in centro.

TJ

Thanos
04-16-08, 00:45
Thanks. I think I will buy one in centro.

TJBuy a nice unlocked phone on ebay for 100 bucks and then buy a CLARO,TIM, or VIVO chip for 18R. just switch the chip when you arrive or return to the states.

Cho 637
04-16-08, 22:27
Buy a nice unlocked phone on ebay for 100 bucks and then buy a CLARO,TIM, or VIVO chip for 18R. just switch the chip when you arrive or return to the states.

TIM has a very basic phone (LG kp106b) for R119 with FM radio, nothing else. Made the mistake of buying a locked phone. One unlock service said only the provider can unlock it. Anyone got any suggestions how or where I can get this unlocked outside of Brazil?

Romulus88
05-01-08, 09:22
I brought my Motorola slim phone using AT and T service and they activated international calls for me before I left. The charge for a local call was $2.19 per minute and less for a text message. It was great because I knew I didn't have to change any sims, go anywhere else to deal with it, just turn it on and start dialing. Plus all my stored numbers in the states where in the sim chip so that also helped. plus the phone takes pictures, important at the beach.

Just call the AT and T service through the phone before leaving and they will set you up.

Off Road
05-01-08, 21:19
TIM has a very basic phone (LG kp106b) for R119 with FM radio, nothing else. Made the mistake of buying a locked phone. One unlock service said only the provider can unlock it. Anyone got any suggestions how or where I can get this unlocked outside of Brazil?do a google search for unlock cell phone. there are services that charge like $19 to unlock. They can unlock almost any phone.

Sunset Strip
05-02-08, 18:37
I brought my Motorola slim phone using AT and T service and they activated international calls for me before I left. The charge for a local call was $2.19 per minute and less for a text message. It was great because I knew I didn't have to change any sims, go anywhere else to deal with it, just turn it on and start dialing. Plus all my stored numbers in the states where in the sim chip so that also helped. plus the phone takes pictures, important at the beach.

Just call the AT and T service through the phone before leaving and they will set you up.

I see your point. Also, Nextel phones are basically set up for international calls,too. i think the rate is comparable to the 2/minute.

However, I think most of the guys here want a Brazilian/RIo number the girls can call. using your US/home cell phone will not allow the girls to call you.

(In fact, even with a Brazilian number many girls just call you and then tell you to call them back!)

TJ

Cho 637
05-06-08, 05:02
I see your point. Also, Nextel phones are basically set up for international calls,too. i think the rate is comparable to the 2/minute.

However, I think most of the guys here want a Brazilian/RIo number the girls can call. using your US/home cell phone will not allow the girls to call you.

(In fact, even with a Brazilian number many girls just call you and then tell you to call them back!)

TJ

Just about all GSM phones can be used internationally but you pay an arm and a leg for it! If you store your numbers on your phone instead of the sim, they are still available if you change sim cards.

Sunset Strip
05-08-08, 23:44
thanks, cho

Ryjerrob
05-09-08, 01:52
I actually have a rental phone that I never returned a couple of years ago. I just purchase phone cards. Also all the features work except it is locked for making international calls. Not that this matters to me. If I need to call home I can use the vonage phone where I stay, or use my world phone. But anyway the pay and go phone I have works wonders. I used my nextel back in 2006, but the best thing was the extra $5 monthly charge for free international 2way.

ryjer

Poucolouco
05-09-08, 04:25
This is a current scam in Brasil. I had my Oi SIM cloned this past October by someone making international calls. In three successive calls they used up R$60 in credits. I tried to complain with the Oi company but they would not admit that their phone security was being breached. They researched the calls and told me they had all been made to a number in Finland from my phone. Sales people at the Oi store said it is a big problem but the Oi/Telemar parent company denied that it occurred. OBS: Years ago Oi used to run a television ad featuring Dolly, the cloned sheep. The company then guaranteed that phones using its services could not be cloned, offering a free phone and a year of free calls if it happened. Now they just deny it. After not getting any satisfaction with Oi, I went to the TIM store and bought a new SIM.

Cho 637
05-11-08, 06:40
do a google search for unlock cell phone. there are services that charge like $19 to unlock. They can unlock almost any phone.

I checked google and couldn't find anything. I spoke to a friend in Brazil and he confirmed that TIM phones can only be unlocked in Brazil. And not by TIM!

Poucolouco
05-11-08, 15:45
I checked google and couldn't find anything. I spoke to a friend in Brazil and he confirmed that TIM phones can only be unlocked in Brazil. And not by TIM!TIM is the name of the carrier, not the manufacturer. You need to look for the brand name of the phone, not the SIM.

Perkele
05-11-08, 19:51
This is a current scam in Brasil. I had my Oi SIM cloned this past October by someone making international calls. In three successive calls they used up R$60 in credits. I tried to complain with the Oi company but they would not admit that their phone security was being breached. They researched the calls and told me they had all been made to a number in Finland from my phone. Sales people at the Oi store said it is a big problem but the Oi/Telemar parent company denied that it occurred. OBS: Years ago Oi used to run a television ad featuring Dolly, the cloned sheep. The company then guaranteed that phones using its services could not be cloned, offering a free phone and a year of free calls if it happened. Now they just deny it. After not getting any satisfaction with Oi, I went to the TIM store and bought a new SIM.

Oh PLEASE!

That's technically impossible!

Even if your sim card could be cloned it wouldn't work simultaneously by using another cellphone. Meaning that 2 different cellphones can't have same sim card. This because that in GSM tecnhology every cellphone has its individual IMEI code that's being used to register each subscriber into the HLR. Thus if your ORIGINAL sim is already registered in HLR, the "clone" will be refused and vice versa. Also technology to produce the SIM cards is very protected and also expensive. Its not really worth while to even think of cloning sim cards.

On the otherhand the TDMA and CDMA (cellphones without sim card) tecnhologies are fairly simple to clone and that is being done frequently all over the world.

Poucolouco
05-11-08, 20:35
Oh PLEASE!

That's technically impossible!

Even if your sim card could be cloned it wouldn't work simultaneously by using another cellphone. Meaning that 2 different cellphones can't have same sim card. This because that in GSM tecnhology every cellphone has its individual IMEI code that's being used to register each subscriber into the HLR. Thus if your ORIGINAL sim is already registered in HLR, the "clone" will be refused and vice versa. Also technology to produce the SIM cards is very protected and also expensive. Its not really worth while to even think of cloning sim cards.

On the otherhand the TDMA and CDMA (cellphones without sim card) tecnhologies are fairly simple to clone and that is being done frequently all over the world.You know, Perkle, I half-way expected some techie genius to jump in with a statement like that. You may be an expert about cell phones but you, sir, are not fully informed. I didn't state that the clone used a cellphone. I said the Sim had been cloned. The thief was able to reproduce my access to the Oi carrier and make calls which were charged to my phone.

It is not technically impossible, it happened to me. As I sat in a restaurant on Ave Atlantica, I received three successive text messages from Oi. Each stating that my last call used R$14. R$15 of my saldo. I went to the Oi store on Bolivar to have it investigated. I purchased a $R15 recharge and within 10 minutes, someone used R$12 of my balance.

Hackers are currently exchanging information on the internet on how to clone GSM Sims. It is complicated and not economical for the average person to accomplish but for someone who wants to mask his phone calls from monitoring by the policia, it is useful technology to make clandestine calls. Further, Hackers are not motivated by economics. Here is but two technical discussion (there are numerous, )about the process:

http://www.isaac.cs.berkeley.edu/isaac/gsm-faq.html
http://gsmhosting.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=535355

Perkele
05-12-08, 11:52
You know, Perkle, I half-way expected some techie genius to jump in with a statement like that. You may be an expert about cell phones but you, sir, are not fully informed. I didn't state that the clone used a cellphone. I said the Sim had been cloned. The thief was able to reproduce my access to the Oi carrier and make calls which were charged to my phone.

It is not technically impossible, it happened to me. As I sat in a restaurant on Ave Atlantica, I received three successive text messages from Oi. Each stating that my last call used R$14. R$15 of my saldo. I went to the Oi store on Bolivar to have it investigated. I purchased a $R15 recharge and within 10 minutes, someone used R$12 of my balance.

Hackers are currently exchanging information on the internet on how to clone GSM Sims. It is complicated and not economical for the average person to accomplish but for someone who wants to mask his phone calls from monitoring by the policia, it is useful technology to make clandestine calls. Further, Hackers are not motivated by economics. Here is but two technical discussion (there are numerous, )about the process:

http://www.isaac.cs.berkeley.edu/isaac/gsm-faq.html
http://gsmhosting.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=535355

Well there is only one question, was the sim card in its original packing when you got it or did you get it from somebody?

Since this cloning process requires the physical access to your sim card, whomever "cloned" it must have had it in his posession at some point.

This cloning can not be done by intecepting information in air interface nor A interface.

Since I doubted the cloning I made some additional inquries.

Yes its possible to clone the sim card, but if these 2 identical sim cards are being used simultaneously the HLR will block BOTH of them. Thus your problem is not duplicated simcard, but some problem with billing. I greatly suggest that you talk to Oi about it or simply get another sim with another number.

Off Road
05-12-08, 20:04
I checked google and couldn't find anything. I spoke to a friend in Brazil and he confirmed that TIM phones can only be unlocked in Brazil. And not by TIM!
Not true. Post the make and model and I will post a web site that will unlock your phone. I have unlocked dozens of phones for friends.

For example, TIM sells the Motorola Razr V3, so do carriers in the USA. Unlocking this phone is relativly simple (does depend on the sub model. i.e. V3x or V3i). You can unlock some of the submodels with a code, others require connection to a computer, but all can be unlocked.

Off Road
05-12-08, 20:20
Google: unlock cell phone

you will find
http://www.unlockcellphone.com/

you can enter your make and model.

Sperto
05-12-08, 20:27
A lot of talk about about unlocking brazilian cellphones...

In February, in practically all the major shoppingcenters in eight capitals, I saw some people with booths offering to unlock cellphones for free. They where from "Bloqueio não".
http://www.bloqueionao.com.br/

Poucolouco
05-12-08, 20:38
Well there is only one question, was the sim card in its original packing when you got it or did you get it from somebody?

Since this cloning process requires the physical access to your sim card, whomever "cloned" it must have had it in his posession at some point.

This cloning can not be done by intecepting information in air interface nor A interface.

Since I doubted the cloning I made some additional inquries.

Yes its possible to clone the sim card, but if these 2 identical sim cards are being used simultaneously the HLR will block BOTH of them. Thus your problem is not duplicated simcard, but some problem with billing. I greatly suggest that you talk to Oi about it or simply get another sim with another number.I purchased the SIM one year earlier at the Oi loja on Nossa Senhor de Copacabana. It was in the original packaging. The Oi agent installed it for me. In your haste to refute me, Perkele, you apparently didn't read my entire original post. I repeat it here for your convenience:

Sales people at the Oi store said it is a big problem but the Oi/Telemar parent company denied that it occurred. OBS: Years ago Oi used to run a television ad featuring Dolly, the cloned sheep. The company then guaranteed that phones using its services could not be cloned, offering a free phone and a year of free calls if it happened. Now they just deny it.

After not getting any satisfaction with Oi, I went to the TIM store and bought a new SIM. I also had been led to believe that GSM cell phones were secure. Having experienced this first hand, I am not certain. The author of "The Hackers' Guide to GSM Phones" states, "There have also been rumors that on certain services there are ways to clone a SIM remotely, but none have been tested so this can't be proven. " Even with his expertise, he does not totally dismiss it as impossible.

I also suspected a possible breach of the Oi accounting system and in one of numerous phone calls I discussed this with Oi. At every level they were in a total state of denial. One must be aware that the personnel on the telephone are not cell phone technicians. They are trained call center personnel who are working from a script of known problems. The only information they have available on their computers is the originating and destination phone numbers and the time and billing information. I hope I have made myself clear.

I have no motivation to post information that is not true. I only intended to share my experience. I had not meant to get into a long discussion on Hacking, there is more shared information on the internet than I care to read.

I didn't intend to write such a long post but Perkel's mild arrogance toward my credibility caused me to defend myself.

You, sir, may have the last word.

Perkele
05-13-08, 00:32
Pocoulocou,

It is impossible to have 2 identical subscribers in the network SIMULTANEOUSLY.

You stated that you received SMS messages with info that your account had been used and your cellphone was turned on all this time. Thus it can't be cloning issue since HLR will BLOCK both sim cards. Blocking means that neither one of those cards will work. Simple isn't it?

Cho 637
05-13-08, 05:56
Google: unlock cell phone

you will find
http://www.unlockcellphone.com/

you can enter your make and model.

As with most of the sites that I checked, make (LG) is listed but, model (kp106b) is not listed.

Cho 637
05-13-08, 05:59
A lot of talk about about unlocking brazilian cellphones...

In February, in practically all the major shoppingcenters in eight capitals, I saw some people with booths offering to unlock cellphones for free. They where from "Bloqueio não".
http://www.bloqueionao.com.br/

Thanks, but I guess, I will have to wait until I get back. They don't have the model on their site either.

Cho 637
05-13-08, 06:01
TIM is the name of the carrier, not the manufacturer. You need to look for the brand name of the phone, not the SIM.

Some sites also ask for the carrier, if its foreign.

Off Road
05-14-08, 01:36
As with most of the sites that I checked, make (LG) is listed but, model (kp106b) is not listed.
http://www.thetravelinsider.info/roadwarriorcontent/lgunlocking.htm

while they do not list your model chances are they will unlock your phone, they are in the USA. The LG phones need to be altered with a hardware box, so you have to send the phone to them.

email them and ask..

Poucolouco
05-14-08, 02:42
Some sites also ask for the carrier, if its foreign.I see what you mean. Now I recall that I had a similar problem in 2003 with a Siemens phone that I purchase in Porto Alegre from Vivo. No matching model on the internet or in the US market. Back then I had to get an authorization protocolo from Vivo, (no problemo) and then take the phone to Siemens in Centro to get it unlocked. It seems many of these carriers sell specific models, i.e. you can't find your LG for sale in the U.S. Or anywhere outside of Claro's market area.

I checked sites in Brasil and found on Yahoo that your phone is unresolved for an easy fix. Your phone is a new model? See: http://br.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080419175223AAyXBg3
You can probably get it unlocked for free at Claro when you return to Brasil.

I did find that there is a solution for your phone but this is targeted to commercial unlockers. Expensive (Russian origin) hardware and software is involved. If you wait a while, and the commercial unlockers will have this service available to you for a reasonable consumer price.

http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/archive/index.php/t-510036.html

Exec Talent
05-16-08, 01:26
I recently was at a friends in Rio and needed to call the US. He is using a system provided by Yahoo. The cost is $.01 per minute to the US and toll-free calls are free.

Here is the link to sign up.

http://voice.yahoo.com/index.php;_ylt=AshgkRDVDvham.cqaJ.MFIG96.t3

All you will need is a headset with microphone. I can see no reason why you couldn't do this from some of the internet cafes that provide headsets.

ET

Off Road
05-16-08, 10:29
I recently was at a friends in Rio and needed to call the US. He is using a system provided by Yahoo. The cost is $.01 per minute to the US and toll-free calls are free.

Here is the link to sign up.

http://voice.yahoo.com/index.php;_ylt=AshgkRDVDvham.cqaJ.MFIG96.t3

All you will need is a headset with microphone. I can see no reason why you couldn't do this from some of the internet cafes that provide headsets.

ETLooks like a good deal to call Brazil from the USA too! 2 cents a min to Rio land lines, 20 cents to mobile.

FLRoadWarrior
05-16-08, 13:19
I just returned from Rio. I bought a Majic Jack on line. I was really impressed with it. The cost is around $50 for the first year. After that $20 a year. You need internet access. I take my laptop. It plugs in like a thumb drive into your USB port. It downloads in about 3 min. , you take a cheap $5 phone and plug it into the magic jack. Then your ready to make a call. You can pick your phone number from almost any area code. The calls are FREE back to the US and Canada from anywhere in the world. Also the caller ID shows the number your choose. If someone calls you, your voice mail box picks up. Then it sends you a email. Then you can lisen to the message on a wave file. It is perfect for someone who is attached. Or you do not want anyone to know where you are. You can always get a number on a different coast than you live. Then it looks like your some where your not. Perfect for hiding from the wife or girl freind or boss.

Check the FAQ at MagicJack.com.

Sunset Strip
06-06-08, 17:22
Thanks for all the help.

I bought a cheap cell phone online as was advised. I used this site:

http://phonecard.bootsnall.com/special_promotions.htm

The phone came with an international SIM card. The number will be a European number. I also went online and bought a Rio sim card. it was hard to do because they all seemed to be sold out.

I will let you know how it all works out in a few days when I get to RIO.

TJ

Orgasm Donor
06-07-08, 19:06
I think this is one of the reasons you should be sure that the SIM chip comes attached to a plastic card. Then you can be assured that it hasnt been tampered with.
It is too easy for a tech in a shop to give the ol' switcheroo to your SIM. I doubt someone would go through the trouble of doing it over the air, the gear is too cost prohibitive.
OD

Perkele
06-07-08, 19:39
I think this is one of the reasons you should be sure that the SIM chip comes attached to a plastic card. Then you can be assured that it hasnt been tampered with.
It is too easy for a tech in a shop to give the ol' switcheroo to your SIM. I doubt someone would go through the trouble of doing it over the air, the gear is too cost prohibitive.
OD

Worry not. Even though its possible to clone the SIM (if you have that particular SIM card at hand), its not possible to use these cards simutaneously.

Thus, there is no need to worry even if you have cloned SIM since the HLR (VLR) will block both cards as soon as they register simultaneously.

Orgasm Donor
06-07-08, 20:17
Anybody have problems making a mobile to mobile call?

I was having problems and I asked the concierge at the hotel, and she suggested dialing 21 instead of 17 on my Claro card. And it worked if I wasnt getting thru with the 17 prefix. It was hit-and-miss my whole tour of Brasil, it didnt seem to matter which city I was calling, or calling from. I just sort of randomly dialed different prefixes until it would connect. (I was quite desperate to call a contact.)

anybody got some insight?

BTW My Motorola RAZRv3 seems to work well since it is Quad-band, and gets excellent reception as well. So, no worries about unlocking your phone only to find it is the wrong frequency. Also I have found unlocked Motorola TIM phones online for a reasonable price. ($75-100 to own outright)

Perkele
06-08-08, 13:44
Anybody have problems making a mobile to mobile call?

I was having problems and I asked the concierge at the hotel, and she suggested dialing 21 instead of 17 on my Claro card. And it worked if I wasnt getting thru with the 17 prefix. It was hit-and-miss my whole tour of Brasil, it didnt seem to matter which city I was calling, or calling from. I just sort of randomly dialed different prefixes until it would connect. (I was quite desperate to call a contact.)

anybody got some insight?

These are the operators:

12 = CTBC Telecom
14 = Brasil Telecom
15 = Telefónica
17 = Transit Telecom
21 = Embratel
23 = Intelig
25 = GVT
31 = Oi
41 = TIM

So here most reliable ones are 21, 31 and 41. Also if you have TIM phone its cheaper to call using prefix 41, Oi phone prefix 31. I'm not sure about Vivo and Claro, but I believe they have some deal with Embratel, 21.

Oi has been having some issues with international connections and lately I've been using Embratel when calling abroad.

All above operators should work with mobile to mobile, mobile to fixed local, longdistance and international calls.

Sunset Strip
06-09-08, 17:31
Brazilian SIM cards were out of stock for awhile in the US. I just got an email notification that they are now available online again:

http://www.telestial.com/snotify/?D=LSIM-BR01

Java Man
06-09-08, 19:20
Brazilian SIM cards were out of stock for awhile in the US. I just got an email notification that they are now available online again:

http://www.telestial.com/snotify/?D=LSIM-BR01

$59usd?!! Don't forget the shipping charges.
$R20-25 in Brazil, depending on carrier.

Orgasm Donor
06-09-08, 19:49
These are the operators:

12 = CTBC Telecom
14 = Brasil Telecom
15 = Telefónica
17 = Transit Telecom
21 = Embratel
23 = Intelig
25 = GVT
31 = Oi
41 = TIM

So here most reliable ones are 21, 31 and 41. Also if you have TIM phone its cheaper to call using prefix 41, Oi phone prefix 31. I'm not sure about Vivo and Claro, but I believe they have some deal with Embratel, 21.

Oi has been having some issues with international connections and lately I've been using Embratel when calling abroad.

All above operators should work with mobile to mobile, mobile to fixed local, longdistance and international calls.

Ok let me get this straight.

For example I have a TIM SIM chip in my phone.

Do I need to know the correct prefix (31) to call someone that has an OI! phone?

...or does it depend on which signal Im picking up at the time?

I ask because sometimes 21 would work fine, then later in the day, it wouldnt work. so Id resort to trying 17 and that would get me thru.

Thanks for the info so far, Ill copy those prefixes down for future reference.

OD

Sperto
06-09-08, 20:35
Do I need to know the correct prefix (31) to call someone that has an OI! phone?
If you have a TIM chip you better use 41.

Perkele
06-09-08, 22:30
Ok let me get this straight.

...or does it depend on which signal Im picking up at the time?

I ask because sometimes 21 would work fine, then later in the day, it wouldnt work. so Id resort to trying 17 and that would get me thru.

Thanks for the info so far, Ill copy those prefixes down for future reference.

OD

When you have a cellphone from an operator i.e. TIM, you will use only TIM network (or signal as you referred). Although the FIXED operators are in most cases same operators, you can change those.

I.e. If you call number from Rio to Rio, you can call:
12345678 or
02112345678 or
0XX2112345678
where XX is FIXED operator.

If you have TIM phone in Brasil and you travel out of city where you obtained the SIM card, you'll be ROAMING which means that you must dial in a form 0XX2112345678. Also when roaming you'll pay for receiving the calls. I.e. if you go to Belo Horizonte and your favorite girl calls you collect, you'll end up paying the part in Rio and part in Belo, which will result very rapid loss of your credit.

I hope that explained somewhat how cellphone services work in Brasil.

Sunset Strip
06-10-08, 19:45
$59usd?!! Don't forget the shipping charges.
$R20-25 in Brazil, depending on carrier.

HI Chingon,

I know it is more expensive. But there might be reasons why someone might need to buy a Brazilian specific SIM card while in the US or elsewhere. I also posted a link to the same company in which they sell the international SIM card along with a new gsm cellphone for only $49 ($60 with shipping). This price is cheaper than what you can get in Brazil since electronics seem to cost more down there. So it all depends on what you need and why.

Let´s not dwell on the negative so much on this site.

TJ

Off Road
06-10-08, 23:08
When you have a cellphone from an operator i.e. TIM, you will use only TIM network (or signal as you referred). Although the FIXED operators are in most cases same operators, you can change those.

I.e. If you call number from Rio to Rio, you can call:
12345678 or
02112345678 or
0XX2112345678
where XX is FIXED operator.

If you have TIM phone in Brasil and you travel out of city where you obtained the SIM card, you'll be ROAMING which means that you must dial in a form 0XX2112345678. Also when roaming you'll pay for receiving the calls. I.e. if you go to Belo Horizonte and your favorite girl calls you collect, you'll end up paying the part in Rio and part in Belo, which will result very rapid loss of your credit.

I hope that explained somewhat how cellphone services work in Brasil.To add a bit.. to dial international, say the USA dial

00xx1999-999-9999

XX is the carrier, I use 21, embratel from my TIM phone to the states, seems to connect better. The price is about 50 centavos a minute for my post-pay TIM account.

I do not know if this works on a pre-pay phone.

Perkele
06-12-08, 16:19
Since we are discussing this issue, let me add one more.

Calling collect:

909012345678 Local
90XX123456789 Long distance

I have no idea how that could be done abroad, but I doubt that its possible.

Next time when you're calling to your favorite therma girl, use 9090 and let her pay for the call. She's probably making more money than you anyway.

Poucolouco
06-12-08, 18:52
Here is a good summary from Wikipedia:

Eight-digit numbers beginning with digits 2 to 6 are land lines, while eight-digit numbers beginning with digits 7 to 9 are mobile phones.

All cities use the following emergency numbers: 190 - Police, 192 - Ambulance, 193 - Firefighters

To dial to another area code or to another country, you must chose a carrier using a two-digit carrier code. Which carriers are available depends on the area you are dialing from and on the area you are dialing to. Carriers 21 (Embratel) and 23 (Intelig) are available in all areas.

The international phone number format for calls from other countries to Brazil is +55-(area code)-(phone number)

In Brazil:

To dial to another area code: 0-(carrier code)-(area code)-(phone number)
To dial to another country: 00-(carrier code)-(country code)-(area code)-(phone number)
Local collect call: 90-90-(phone number)
Collect call to another area code: 90-(carrier code)-(area code)-(phone number)
International Collect Call: 000111 or through Embratel at 0800-703-2111

Orgasm Donor
07-05-08, 08:50
Id like to recommend buying a Motorola RAZR V3 prepaid phone from AT&T. Cost was $120USD. I had the first version of this phone and HATED it. The firmware was too buggy. But now I got the latest version of the V3 which has IMMENSELY better firmware.
OK so it doesnt have an MP3 player or anything too fancy, but its strong points are that its a Quad-Band phone, which means it will work and pull in the best GSM signal in any country. Secondly, it gets the best reception I have ever seen on ANY phone. Its got other goodies as well, like camera and video, which I only use in a pinch, and looks pretty slick too. Its not worth the risk to pack your fancier "smartphone" with you. Dont carry anything with you that you cant afford to lose.
AT&T gave me the runaround about unlocking the phone. They said despite being a Cingular user for years and all I had to do is pop my old SIM chip in, since I bought the phone Im considered "new" and they wont unblock the phone until Ive had it for six months and after spending an hour on the phone with customer service trying to sweet talk them, I told customer service "fuck this, I'm going to Brasil in 2 days and get some kid to "desbloqueado" it for 30 reals." they seemed to be fine with that. This is where it is good to have a somewhat popular phone, it is fairly easy to find a shop that is familiar with unblocking the RAZR V3.
I changed the language on it to portuguese after setting most of it up. What is good about this besides learning the commands in Portuguese is, when I text someone in it autocompletes alot of Portuguese words for me. BONUS!
I am in Belem now, and using TIM. TIM seems to be the best choice for me for most of Brasil. Any different opinions?

I hope to write a step by step guide for you guys on how to set up this phone to make it all a bit easier for your hookups.

OD

Ryjerrob
07-10-08, 23:26
While I already have a pre-paid phone I use in Brasil, I recently invested in a new BlackBerry to help me stay connected with work, and other various electronic accounts. This is the "world phone edition" so I assume that means this phone is already unlocked, and I just need to purchase a sim card in the particular country where I will be traveling. Not something I necessary need to do, but was a bonus of getting a new phone. I would imagine that as technology advances, there will be more and more world phones marketed to the international traveler/mongerer.

Hell, I may be even selling my pre-paid Vivo phone for what I initially invested, R$50.

ryjer

Off Road
07-11-08, 12:02
Id like to recommend buying a Motorola RAZR V3 prepaid phone from AT&T. Cost was $120USD. I had the first version of this phone and HATED it. The firmware was too buggy. But now I got the latest version of the V3 which has IMMENSELY better firmware.
OK so it doesnt have an MP3 player or anything too fancy, but its strong points are that its a Quad-Band phone, which means it will work and pull in the best GSM signal in any country. Secondly, it gets the best reception I have ever seen on ANY phone. Its got other goodies as well, like camera and video, which I only use in a pinch, and looks pretty slick too. Its not worth the risk to pack your fancier "smartphone" with you. Dont carry anything with you that you cant afford to lose.
AT&T gave me the runaround about unlocking the phone. They said despite being a Cingular user for years and all I had to do is pop my old SIM chip in, since I bought the phone Im considered "new" and they wont unblock the phone until Ive had it for six months and after spending an hour on the phone with customer service trying to sweet talk them, I told customer service "fuck this, I'm going to Brasil in 2 days and get some kid to "desbloqueado" it for 30 reals." they seemed to be fine with that. This is where it is good to have a somewhat popular phone, it is fairly easy to find a shop that is familiar with unblocking the RAZR V3.
I changed the language on it to portuguese after setting most of it up. What is good about this besides learning the commands in Portuguese is, when I text someone in it autocompletes alot of Portuguese words for me. BONUS!
I am in Belem now, and using TIM. TIM seems to be the best choice for me for most of Brasil. Any different opinions?

I hope to write a step by step guide for you guys on how to set up this phone to make it all a bit easier for your hookups.

ODI agree with you, except a few points. Unlock the phone before you get here, check on ebay for unblocking, or just google it, cost will be about $15. Ebay to find an unblocked V3, they are under $100USD.
You can also reload the firmware if you have some technical savvy.

Orgasm Donor
07-12-08, 17:26
I agree with you, except a few points. Unlock the phone before you get here, check on ebay for unblocking, or just google it, cost will be about $15. Ebay to find an unblocked V3, they are under $100USD.
You can also reload the firmware if you have some technical savvy.
... True. But remember, the first versions of the RAZR V3 were, IMHO horrible! I got some info the latest versions are alot better, and I can say they are clearly better now.
I attempted getting it unlocked the "proper" way, but politely requesting it, because I am a longstanding customer of Cingular/AT&T, But after over an hour on the phone... forget it!
I did not mention reflashing your own firmware because I thought it went a bit beyond the scope of most reading this forum. Im trying to simplify things here, not complicate them. I do appreciate your input tho. There is definitely more than one way to skin a cat.
OD

Off Road
07-12-08, 19:25
... True. But remember, the first versions of the RAZR V3 were, IMHO horrible! I got some info the latest versions are alot better, and I can say they are clearly better now.
I attempted getting it unlocked the "proper" way, but politely requesting it, because I am a longstanding customer of Cingular/AT&T, But after over an hour on the phone... forget it!
I did not mention reflashing your own firmware because I thought it went a bit beyond the scope of most reading this forum. Im trying to simplify things here, not complicate them. I do appreciate your input tho. There is definitely more than one way to skin a cat.
ODI have an original V3 and very happy with it (flashed and flexed though). What did you find better with a newer model?

I have unblocked other V3s for friends here in Rio (V3i and others). Some are a real pain to unlock (requires test point grounding, and some have a shield over the tp).

I would recomend to others, buy a unblocked phone from ebay, you can reconditioned ones that are pretty cheap, the V3 is popular. You can probably trade it on the last night for TLN sex with a gal, or two nights!

Orgasm Donor
07-20-08, 13:05
I have an original V3 and very happy with it (flashed and flexed though). What did you find better with a newer model?

Well, the older model didnt have video recording, it didnt have the option to repeat events daily on the calendar function, (only weekly)? didnt have portugues language pack, the battery meter was TOTALLY flaky, you could only enter minimal information in the phone book.. and thats only what I can think of right now Im sure there is more, but all of this has been resolved when I decided to give it another chance, I was told by a friend that worked for Cingular that the first ones were buggy.

But man, can that phone pull in a signal! even in a stainless steel lined elevator in the lower floors of a granite and concrete hotel, pulling in 5 bars and receiving calls.

The only thing I see that is better with the older model is that the battery cover is aluminum, and not plastic, and it came with a few more cool ring tones. I bought it off Amazon unlocked. I believe it was originally Vodaphone branded.

Im thinking about writing a tutorial for setting up the V3 in Brasil if there is some interest.

But for now Ill say that in order to get a SIM chip, you have to "register" it. Meaning, when you buy it you have to show some ID, or have a Brasilian friend show their CEP (ID) when buying it. I guess this keeps criminals from using the phones? anyway, thats the explanation my GF gave me. Not as easy as in for example the Philippines, where you dont even have to register your phone.

Another tip Ill throw in, When you enter a number in your phone book, it gives you the option to save it either to the phone or the SIM chip itself. Choose to save it to the SIM.
Enter your own phone number to the address book, and save it to the SIM chip. So when some garota asks for your number, you can just show them your number in your phone book without having to memorize it.
Save all your Brasil contacts to the SIM chip, and the code number to dial to check the balance of your credits as well (youll want that handy too. TIM is *222#).

When you return to your home country, and are nervous about someone nosing through your phone book, Done correctly, you can erase the numbers from the PHONE memory, and still have them on the SIM chip. Then you will still have those numbers on your SIM for the next time you go to Brasil. Save your SIM chip in the same place you put your leftover Brazilian Reals (if any) for your next trip.

When you return to Brazil, I think if its less than 90 days, I think your number is still good, and all remaining credits.
If its over that, you got to buy a new SIM with new number, and any remaining credits are lost. In any case, try to keep the balance to a minimum by the time you leave Brasil. I drained mine down to $2 Reals by group texting thanking everyone I met and sending "Beijos!" before I got on my plane.

But you still can still copy your contacts onto your PHONE again from your old SIM version 1.0, using the "COPY ALL" or "COPY TO" function, Then make calls to those lovely ladies worth a repeat performance, your trusted taxi driver, etc., when you buy another SIM chip with a different Brasil number.
Then, copy these numbers to SIM chip version 2.0...

Lather, Rinse, and Repeat.

By the way, dont lose your SIM chips! I had one stolen out of my pack by a baggage handler at the airport in Cebu, Philippines. It was for a post-pay contract in the USA. By the time I found out it was missing, the MF made over $600 dollars worth of text messages! Those Pinoys love to talk too much! Anyhow, once I got home, my cell company showed some mercy after begging with them and cut it down to $200.
That is the beauty of Pay-As-You-Go programs. You can put a limit to the amount you can afford to lose or spend.

If this info helps or informs anybody, let me know. Ill write more stuff. If not, I wont bother with this thread anymore. Cheers!

OD

Pokerjay1
07-21-08, 20:46
Ogasm doner. Very informative. Thanks.

I have my 3rd Rio tip coming up very shortly, about 16 days to be exact but who's counting. ME! LOL

Anyway, I found this forum about 6 months ago so you can imagine I've traveled to brazil not knowing 70% of the great information you guys provide. I need to have a cell phone next time I go and wanted to know in detail if you can whhat it is that I have to do. Where to purchase a basic phone? Where to purchase a sim card? What kind of sim card does it need to be? Can I call and recieve calls from the united states?

Thanks

Pokerjay1
07-21-08, 20:47
I have a Motorola curve by Tmobile.

Can I buy a Brazilian sim card and use it in Rio.

Where and how?

Pokerjay1
07-21-08, 21:35
Just in case anyone wants to know. I live in NY and have a Mororola Blackberry curve which can be used worldwide. I called Tmobile and had the phone unlocked and now all I have to do is buy a sim card from TIM or another brazilian carrier I think.

An alternative to those of you who don't want to purchase another phone for your travels.

Poucolouco
07-22-08, 13:49
I have an original V3 and very happy with it (flashed and flexed though). What did you find better with a newer model?

I have unblocked other V3s for friends here in Rio (V3i and others). Some are a real pain to unlock (requires test point grounding, and some have a shield over the tp).

I would recomend to others, buy a unblocked phone from ebay, you can reconditioned ones that are pretty cheap, the V3 is popular. You can probably trade it on the last night for TLN sex with a gal, or two nights!I have purchased several unblocked V3s on the internet for prices ranging around $150 each. But as Forest Gump said, "sometimes you never know what you're gonna get". The V3i that I use daily was purchased for a girl friend but when we opened the box and tried to set the language to Portuguese, discovered the only language options were English, Behasa Melaya, and Malyan Characters which take up all the language space in the firmware of the phone. Consequently I kept this phone in English and bought another for the gf.

Ryjerrob
07-22-08, 16:09
Just in case anyone wants to know. I live in NY and have a Mororola Blackberry curve which can be used worldwide. I called Tmobile and had the phone unlocked and now all I have to do is buy a sim card from TIM or another brazilian carrier I think.

An alternative to those of you who don't want to purchase another phone for your travels.

I also have a world phone. I didn't realize that I needed to call and have it unlocked. I guess that's a slight security feature. If you loose the phone, and it's not unlocked, the finder needs to put some work into unlocking it. I may do the same for my next trip.

ryjer

Off Road
07-22-08, 23:56
I have purchased several unblocked V3s on the internet for prices ranging around $150 each. But as Forest Gump said, "sometimes you never know what you're gonna get". The V3i that I use daily was purchased for a girl friend but when we opened the box and tried to set the language to Portuguese, discovered the only language options were English, Behasa Melaya, and Malyan Characters which take up all the language space in the firmware of the phone. Consequently I kept this phone in English and bought another for the gf.If you are technical you can install the correct language pack to get the languages you want. Language packs are not too difficult, but do require some tools.

But you are absolutly on target, you might not know what you are getting.

Off Road
07-23-08, 00:05
I think OD mentioned but to restate it:
To test your phone in the USA to see if it is unlocked - get a chip from another vendor, borrow a friends, see it if will work in your phone. For example, if you have Cingular, borrow a T-mobile chip and try. If it asks for a carrier password, your phone is locked (do not recall the exact text, but a password). It it works, your phone is unlocked. There are dozens of ways to unlock, search on google (e.g. unlock blackberry curve), you will get dozens of hits.

To purchase a sim chip here in brazil you need to bring your original passport and show them. They will register the chip for you. If you have a CPF (CEP is the zip code here), they will register with that (CPF is like our SSN). At TIM store the chip is R$15 and includes a few minutes. You can purchase credit when you buy the card, but they will want cash. You can purchase more credit at the newsstands.

You can also contact some of us who live here and are happy to help you unlock your phone and buy a chip. I have done this for quite a number of friends, but depends on my schedule of course.

Poucolouco
07-23-08, 00:10
If you are technical you can install the correct language pack to get the languages you want. Language packs are not too difficult, but do require some tools.

But you are absolutly on target, you might not know what you are getting.By tools are you referring to software or hardware? The glass lens breaks easily on the V3. I bought extra lenses and the tools to open the case. They use a lot of silicone to seal it shut and the screws are micro miniature. After that experience I won't open it up again. Now if I were so inclined to do so, what might I need software-wise to install language packs?

Orgasm Donor
07-23-08, 00:10
Ogasm doner. Very informative. Thanks.

I have my 3rd Rio tip coming up very shortly, about 16 days to be exact but who's counting. ME! LOL

Anyway, I found this forum about 6 months ago so you can imagine I've traveled to brazil not knowing 70% of the great information you guys provide. I need to have a cell phone next time I go and wanted to know in detail if you can whhat it is that I have to do. Where to purchase a basic phone? Where to purchase a sim card? What kind of sim card does it need to be? Can I call and recieve calls from the united states?

Thanks

Yes there is more info on here than just mongering! In fact, I find it MORE informative than your typical travel websites!

Anyhow, Electronics are VERY expensive in Brasil! Try to buy something in the USA, Ive bought a RAZR V3 on Amazon, unblocked. It has been said there are some poor older versions out there. My latest was a ATT RAZR V3 GoPhone, bought outright from BestBuy. $120. Great phone, but it was still blocked. If you read my early posts, they will not unblock it until after 6 months, and was a PAIN to even get them to understand what I was trying to do.

Once in Brasil, there are privately owned cell-phone shops that can unblock it. The key word is "DESBLOQUEADO CELLULAR" to look for in shop windows. I got mine done in Belem, for $30 reals.

I chose TIM for my service because all my other contacts in Brasil used TIM as well. I dont know if it made a difference, but sometimes they make it cheaper to call or text someone on the same service. It cost 25 centavos per text. The preferred method of communicating in Brasil.

You can get a SIM chip almost anywhere, most news kiosks sell them, but they probably will not be able to help you register whereas a small phone shop can help you through the routine. You will need a passport for ID, the chica I was with just let me register on her ID. I bought her $20 reals of credits for the favor, and also insured that she could reply to my messages.

I wish I could tell you the routine to "RECARGA" (add more credits), but my helpful chica also helped me with that. You have to go through these portuguese voice menus, So if anybody want to help out here by giving a step-by-step on this routine, please contribute.

You can always do some "social engineering", ask nicely. Who knows, that cute chica on Copacabana might add her number to your phone book. Ask the concierge at your hotel, or drop into the phone shop.

You can call, and receive calls from the USA, with your new Brasil number. Ill post info about that in the next day or two. On occasion you can pop in your USA SIM chip, but it will be way expensive. You will be paying for international roaming, which will be lots more expensive than making a simple international call on your "Brazilianized" phone. Remember, checking your voicemail in the USA will be a bit more complicated. It will no longer be simple as pressing a button. You will have to access the USA first, then know your voicemail number after that.

A few years ago, I was in Rio when I had T-mobile on contract. My work in USA called me and my phone rang just like it was a local call. They had no idea where I was. But this time, with my ATT PrePay service, my phone just said "no signal" or "emergency calls only" until I put my Brasil SIM in.

OD

Orgasm Donor
07-23-08, 00:45
I also have a world phone. I didn't realize that I needed to call and have it unlocked. I guess that's a slight security feature. If you loose the phone, and it's not unlocked, the finder needs to put some work into unlocking it. I may do the same for my next trip.

ryjer

Well, sort of security...
The real purpose for locked phones is to keep you locked into their contract until theyve recouped real cost of your "free phone".
IMHO its a pain in the ass for everybody.
I suppose I can use the "keypad security lock" feature, but that turns into a PAIN every time I want to shoot off a quick text.

Oh yes, one more thing. Call customer service and double check that you have international calling on your phone.

Yes I know they advertise it as a "World Phone" but that doesnt mean theyve turned on your international service! I found this out the hard way. Dont wait until you are in another country to find this out!
And just because you are being charged for it does not guarantee it has been activated. Turns out I was being charged for this service for 2 years and found out it hadnt actually been activated!

Sometimes they just charge you for the extra features on your service and hope you never use them.

I see in the last couple posts the Blackberry being mentioned. Being touted as a "world phone" but I would be shy about using the "data services" in Brasil unless you really know what you are doing. Most "smart phones" sold in the USA assume you have purchased the "unlimited data" plan and encourage you to stream music and video all day long. So Id be really careful about this to avoid any surprises when you get home. I guess it would depend if you are using SMS texting or actual internet email. Ive never owned a Blackberry, so Im not up on how exactly they work. Perhaps someone can contribute here.

OD

Pokerjay1
07-23-08, 06:47
I'm waiting on the info of making calls to the united staes with the new brazil chip and number. Would you happen to know what it cost with the Brazil number as opposed to using the American chip with international calling activated. I am not interested in checkin voicemails, but I will have to call back to the united states more than few times. The internet cafe small bills start to add up. Not that it will break the bank but I was looking for a cheaper more convenient alternative to going into the internet cafe.

So really to sum it up, if you can, please let me know what are the rates for calling out of brasil with a tim chip and when recieving calls from the united states (ie. Someone calling you from the US) is it free?

You said something about 25 centavos per minute. Curious to know, is that about the same rate you get when using the pay phones? I've always used pay phones for calls to the chicas and so forth (what a rookie! ). I know those cards (for the pay phones) run out in no time so its probably more. Expensive.

Orgasm Donor
07-24-08, 21:01
I'm waiting on the info of making calls to the united staes with the new brazil chip and number. Would you happen to know what it cost with the Brazil number as opposed to using the American chip with international calling activated. I am not interested in checkin voicemails, but I will have to call back to the united states more than few times. The internet cafe small bills start to add up. Not that it will break the bank but I was looking for a cheaper more convenient alternative to going into the internet cafe.

So really to sum it up, if you can, please let me know what are the rates for calling out of brasil with a tim chip and when recieving calls from the united states (ie. Someone calling you from the US) is it free?

You said something about 25 centavos per minute. Curious to know, is that about the same rate you get when using the pay phones? I've always used pay phones for calls to the chicas and so forth (what a rookie! ). I know those cards (for the pay phones) run out in no time so its probably more. Expensive.
The 25 Centavos was for SMS texting. 25 Centavos per SMS text.
Calling the USA with your "Brazilianized" phone should be cheaper. Considering that if you used a US service, you are usually charged for "international roaming" rates PLUS "international calling" rates. Meaning, "international roaming" rates are for the add'l cost for a US service using the Brazil system. I.E. The difference between using your ATT phone in Brasil to call a chica on the other side of the city, or using your ATT phone in Brasil, using the Brasil phone system to call internationally... the more complicated it gets, the more it costs, and probably the crappier the connection.

CALLING WITH TIM

local calls
(# of the phone)
different city
(0-41-area code- # of the phone)
international
(00-41-country code-area code- # of the phone)

Im not really clear with how the rates are, probably the internet is cheaper, but there if you keep your calls brief and only to "touch base" with the US, it shouldnt be too bad. Consider the luxury of being able to call the US from your hotel room, without using the pricey hotel LD service, or imagine yourself somewhere rural or the beach and being able to make that call.

I didnt make any calls the the US while I was in Brasil so I dont know the rates. Perhaps someome else can contribute here.

Here is the link for international visitors using TIM cell service.

http://www.tim.com.br/portal/site/PortalWeb/menuitem.8a1c785c7c3d9742649e1610703016a0/?vgnextoid=6e393f587b801110VgnVCM100000a22e700aRCRD&wfe_pweb_oid=5a9311eef9e42110VgnVCM100000a22e700aRCRD&wfe_pweb_area=45&wfe_pweb_estado=21&

Ryjerrob
07-25-08, 03:04
While doing a little research on my particular BlackBerry, I came across a link for roaming INFO. I hope this is of help to some.

http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_br.shtml

ryjer

Pokerjay1
07-25-08, 07:28
Thanks for the info and you're right about being able to atleast make the international call from your bed in the room or from the beach.

Oakwood99
07-27-08, 23:44
While I already have a pre-paid phone I use in Brasil, I recently invested in a new BlackBerry to help me stay connected with work, and other various electronic accounts. This is the "world phone edition" so I assume that means this phone is already unlocked, and I just need to purchase a sim card in the particular country where I will be traveling. Not something I necessary need to do, but was a bonus of getting a new phone. I would imagine that as technology advances, there will be more and more world phones marketed to the international traveler/mongerer.

Hell, I may be even selling my pre-paid Vivo phone for what I initially invested, R$50.

ryjerWhere did you get your prepaid phone from? I normally get it from my apartment vendor, this time I went with somone else. Is there a place to rent one for 9 days on Copa?

Thanks

Sunset Strip
07-29-08, 18:06
Where did you get your prepaid phone from? I normally get it from my apartment vendor, this time I went with somone else. Is there a place to rent one for 9 days on Copa?

Thanks
Oakwood,
If price is an issue then:

You can also buy a fairly cheap phone and then just get a Sim card while in Brazil.

I bought a phone for 50 bucks with $10 shipping. Now I own it and just recharge the sim card when I am in Rio.

I am not sure how much renting costs now, but a few years ago it was $5US a day. probably a little higher now. So for nine days you pay $45 or more. Then have to pay the same every time you go down there. But this way I own a phone for about what I use to pay for a 10 day visit and never have to pay again except for the recharge.

TJ

Ryjerrob
07-29-08, 18:17
Where did you get your prepaid phone from? I normally get it from my apartment vendor, this time I went with somone else. Is there a place to rent one for 9 days on Copa?

Thanks
My prepaid came from a vendor. I meant to return it, but never got around to it. Here we are a couple of years later, and I'm still using.

ryjer

Oakwood99
07-31-08, 01:06
Oakwood,

If price is an issue then:

You can also buy a fairly cheap phone and then just get a Sim card while in Brazil.

I bought a phone for 50 bucks with $10 shipping. Now I own it and just recharge the sim card when I am in Rio.

I am not sure how much renting costs now, but a few years ago it was $5US a day. probably a little higher now. So for nine days you pay $45 or more. Then have to pay the same every time you go down there. But this way I own a phone for about what I use to pay for a 10 day visit and never have to pay again except for the recharge.

TJAppreciate the information. I will go with this company.

Sunset Strip
08-10-08, 18:05
I last recharged my OI Sim around June 20, 2008. I will be in Rio again tomorrow (August 11). Will the credits I have still be available?

Or to put it another way, how often do you have to recharge a sim before you have to get a new one.

thanks,
TJ

Bubba Boy
08-10-08, 18:27
I don't have OI, I use TIM. They give you either 30, 60, or 90 days to use the credits. They state the expiration date when you add them to your phone. However, if your credits have expired, when you get around to adding more credits, ALL your credits return.

I am thinking you will have credits in your phone upon arrival, you were away less than 60 days.

Jan 156
08-10-08, 18:28
I can't imagine it would be defunct in such a short space of time. I did ask at the shop where I get mine in Rio Sul once and they were a bit vague but felt anything under 6 months was probably ok.

Sunset Strip
08-10-08, 21:43
Thanks BB and C,

I am really excited about this trip and want everything to go smoothly.

TJ

Bubba Boy
08-11-08, 01:21
I just reread your question. Your Sim will be fine for up to 1 year. I have a few chips from 2 or 3 years ago. I only use them once or twice a year, they don't die easily.

Sperto
08-11-08, 06:56
I last recharged my OI Sim around June 20, 2008. I will be in Rio again tomorrow (August 11). Will the credits I have still be available?
Or to put it another way, how often do you have to recharge a sim before you have to get a new one.
thanks,
TJ
I don't know about OI, I use TIM. I guess OI should be similar.

TIM:
* Para recarga de R$10 a validade é de 30 dias
* Para recarga de R$15, R$25 e R$35 a validade é de 90 dias
* Para recarga de R$50 e R$100 a validade é de 180 dias

TIM told me if I don't do any recharge in 6 months I'll loose my number. That's a hassle as I have to get a new number every time I go to Brazil.

Pelicano
08-11-08, 14:39

thanks,
TJ

Depends on the amount of the original charge:

Veja aqui os valores e validade de sua recarga:
Valor da Recarga Validade da recarga
De R$ 1,00 a R$ 4,99 3 dias
De R$ 5,00 a R$ 9,99 10 dias
De R$ 10,00 a R$ 14,99 30 dias
De R$ 15,00 a R$ 19,99 60 dias
De R$ 20,00 a R$ 24,99 60 dias
De R$ 25,00 a R$ 34,99 90 dias
De R$ 35,00 a R$ 59,99 90 dias
De R$ 60,00 a R$ 99,99 150 dias
De R$ 100,00 a R$ 500,00* 240 dias

* valor não disponível para recarga online pelo site Oi.

Os valores mínimo e máximo disponíveis para recarga e suas respectivas validades variam de acordo com o ponto de venda.

You also can re charge online: http://www.recargavirtual.com.br/oi/

Java Man
08-11-08, 18:15
You also can re charge online: http://www.recargavirtual.com.br/oi/

I wish it were that easy. Lot of hoops to jump:
First, you have to register to access online payment feature.
Second it asks for the F'n CPF number.
Third, accepts payment from a Brazilian bank account or Brazilian issued credit card. :(

El Greco
08-11-08, 19:47

thanks,
TJ

After the time for which recharge is valid, depending on the money you spent to recharge, you can receive calls and only do emergency ones for another month. In other words your number is partially blocked. After the end of this month your number will be valid for another one month but blocked. No calls either way. Then the number will be cancelled.

So if you recharge for a validation period of 90 days your number will be good for 150. If you recharge any time during the last two months your remained credits will be available and good for you to use them.

That info is good for TIM but OI used to use same method.

Pelicano
08-11-08, 20:34
I wish it were that easy. Lot of hoops to jump:
First, you have to register to access online payment feature.
Second it asks for the F'n CPF number.
Third, accepts payment from a Brazilian bank account or Brazilian issued credit card. :(
You are right, but since I've been living in country for awhile, have a cpf and local bank acount, I just forgot all the hoops that one has to jump thru to get something done while living out of country. Took me 1 year to get all my documents up to date, even after having lived in country for many years previously.

The easiest solution would be for a friend in Rio to go to the official TIM store and buy some credits for your phone number, they would be added by the store clerck directly to your number, via their computer. Some phone companies allow one to add credits from the cel phone by previously setting up a credit card to recharge the credits or you could set up automatic recharge, but you would have to be in country to do this.

CPF is easier now to maintain up to date via the receitanet phone number for foreign users; http://www.receita.fazenda.gov.br/Novidades/Informa/LeiaMaisCPF/5.htm

To get a CPF fill out the form and take to the nearest consulate or diplomatic representaton: http://www.receita.fazenda.gov.br/Aplicacoes/ATCTA/CPFEstrangeiro/fcpf.asp

Instructions; http://www.receita.fazenda.gov.br/Aplicacoes/ATCTA/CPFEstrangeiro/default.htm

Bank Acount; I haven't come up with a solution on that one yet, but definitively you need a CPF and a realy good and honest friend in Brasil to use his influence in opening the acount and use his address to receive the statements. You will also need a comprovante de residencia, in the form of a light bill or such. Then again the local bank acounts charge a ton of fees. I pay 21 reais per month in fees and the minimum deposit required to avoid fees is 15,000.00 reais

Sunset Strip
08-13-08, 20:25
You guys have provided some good information here. I put my OI sim in when my Continetal flight landed in Rio (it did not work in Sao Paulo) and called my driver. This helped because he could then leave home for the airport after I called(another benefit if buying a phone) and I did not have to worry about having to give a big tip because my flight was late!

thanks,
TJ

Buttman Returns
08-31-08, 13:34
Oi amigos,

Thanks for all the information about mobile coverage etc, it would become very handy for me soon! Since my technical skills are not that advanced, I'd appreciate your views on some matters.

My reading of the info in this forum is that TIM is the main provider, with the best coverage from Rio to the North-East. Is that correct?

I will be flying to Brazil soon and intend to spend a couple of months in Salvador, but also travel north (through Recife, Fortaleza and Natal to Sao Luiz), and then down to Rio for a couple of months.

If it's doable, I'd like to take my Aussie Optus mobile with me and just buy a pre-paid SIM card. My understanding is that even if it's locked, it can be unlocked in a small mobile shop in Brazil. Have I missed or misunderstood anything? Any recommendations?

Re rates, I guess that I'll be using it mainly to communicate locally in Brazil, but also to send some SMS to Oz from time to time. Would you say that TIM would make a good choice then?

Thanks a lot for your help!

BR

Oakwood99
08-31-08, 16:56
Oi amigos,

Thanks for all the information about mobile coverage etc, it would become very handy for me soon! Since my technical skills are not that advanced, I'd appreciate your views on some matters.

My reading of the info in this forum is that TIM is the main provider, with the best coverage from Rio to the North-East. Is that correct?

I will be flying to Brazil soon and intend to spend a couple of months in Salvador, but also travel north (through Recife, Fortaleza and Natal to Sao Luiz), and then down to Rio for a couple of months.

If it's doable, I'd like to take my Aussie Optus mobile with me and just buy a pre-paid SIM card. My understanding is that even if it's locked, it can be unlocked in a small mobile shop in Brazil. Have I missed or misunderstood anything? Any recommendations?

Re rates, I guess that I'll be using it mainly to communicate locally in Brazil, but also to send some SMS to Oz from time to time. Would you say that TIM would make a good choice then?

Thanks a lot for your help!

BRTIM worked great for me. I used the TIM shop on Av. Nossa Copacabana. I bought a unlocked phone for $40.00 before leaving, this will save me money down the road as RIO is my second home.

Bubba Boy
08-31-08, 18:00
wouldn't it be nice if brazil was an efficient economy? no such luck.......

when you buy a tim chip in 1 state. that is state considered your home base. when you leave that state, you pay inter state rates. for example, if you buy your chip in rio, calls are about r$ 1 per minute. when you use that same chip in sao pualo, it would be r$3+ to call another number in sao paulo. where ever you are they will bill you like you are in rio calling inter state rates even if you are not. hence the only option is to buy a different chip in each state you visit, if you want to pay the normal r$1 per minute. if you are staying 2 months in salvador and 2 months in rio, i would definitely buy 2 chips. if you are only staying a short time in the other cities, you may just want to pay the high rates and make fewer calls.

the second issue you have is sms may not reach australia. i tried to contact many people rep001tered around the world. my sms's reached the us and europe no problem, but my sms's did not arrive in asia. hence may be an issue for australia.

email, really is the best way to keep in touch with people at home. if you have a laptop, definitely bring it.

i am thinking your cell phone is already unlocked. australia had great laws when i was there a few years ago. all phones sold on an account were by law not able to be locked by the carrier. pre paid phones could be sold locked. to test if you phone is locked or not. grab a friend on a different network (like telstra) and put their chip in your phone, if you can make or receive calls with your friends chip, then your phone is already unblocked. if it isn't unlocked, yes you can unlock when in brazil - something like r$ 50 or you can do a search on the internet and unblock over the net.

one further issue, your phone needs to be a tri band or even better quad band, to assure it works on the brazilian networks. most newish phones are at leasts tri band, however if you are holding onto an old relic from 3 or 4 years ago, you may only have a 2 band. this may or may not work in brazil.

Ryjerrob
08-31-08, 22:52
Grab a friend on a different network (like Telstra) and put their chip in your phone, if you can make or receive calls with your friends chip, then your phone is already unblocked. If it isn't unlocked, yes you can unlock when in Brazil - something like R$ 50 or you can do a search on the internet and unblock over the net.

One further issue, your phone needs to be a tri band or even better quad band, to assure it works on the Brazilian networks. Most newish phones are at leasts tri band, however if you are holding onto an old relic from 3 or 4 years ago, you may only have a 2 band. This may or may not work in Brazil.

I think you should search online about unlocking your phone. Whatever you do, don't pay to have it unlocked, there's no reason for it. Without going on and on, just do some research on it. Phone companies love the fact that most consumers don't have a clue. Just be careful about paying to have something done you may be able to do yourself for free.

ryjer

Buttman Returns
09-01-08, 12:59
wouldn't it be nice if brazil was an efficient economy? no such luck.......

lol
i guess so, but then it wouldn't be as much fun... ;-)

when you buy a tim chip in 1 state. that is state considered your home base. when you leave that state, you pay inter state rates.

if you are staying 2 months in salvador and 2 months in rio, i would definitely buy 2 chips.

that's a great tip. does sms cost vary as well? e.g., sms sent in fortaleza to a mobile in fortaleza using a salvador sim card? and sms to rio from salvador using a salvador sim card?

the second issue you have is sms may not reach australia. i tried to contact many people rep001tered around the world. my sms's reached the us and europe no problem, but my sms's did not arrive in asia. hence may be an issue for australia.

hehehe... i guess your sms has found its jeitinho... ;-)

Off Road
09-02-08, 13:06
That's a great tip. Does sms cost vary as well? e.g., SMS sent in Fortaleza to a mobile in Fortaleza using a Salvador SIM card? And SMS to Rio from Salvador using a Salvador SIM card?
SMS will cost more when using a chip from another state. Like BB said, if you are anywhere for a week or more, get a new chip. A chip is like R$15.

El Greco
09-02-08, 13:23

it's a matter of agreement between the two companies involved. if they have an agreement there is no problem.

Poucolouco
09-07-08, 23:48
Here is a low-cost option for a Motorola GSM cell phone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_FONE_F3

It is a stripped-down version introduced by Motorola to for developing markets. This no-frills phone is available on the internet unlocked at prices from $26 to $49 US. To locate one, Google "MOTOFONE F3 unlocked international"

The phone is quite rugged as can be seen in Youtube videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7o7Wnsc0x8&feature=related

If you should receive one that is locked, there are Youtube instructions for how to unlock it.

Sunset Strip
11-27-08, 00:26
My cell phone is not working in Rio. Well, it is working with my international sim card, but not with my OI! sim card. I bought a recharge, dialed the *801 but it just hangs up on me. I was last down here and recharged the sim in August (a little over 90 days ago). Any suggestions.

Where can I buy a new sim in Rio without a CFP number?
TJ

Poucolouco
11-27-08, 02:09
My cell phone is not working in Rio. Well, it is working with my international sim card, but not with my OI! sim card. I bought a recharge, dialed the *801 but it just hangs up on me. I was last down here and recharged the sim in August (a little over 90 days ago). Any suggestions.

Where can I buy a new sim in Rio without a CFP number?
TJ
Try the Oi store on Av Nossa Senhora De Copacabana nº583. I heard that TIM no longer requires a CPF. Perhaps Oi is the same. If they require a CPF just get a local friend to go with you and use their CPF. It is not a legal requirement but may be needed by their stoopid computer system to activate the SIM.

El Greco
11-27-08, 03:36
Try the Oi store on Av Nossa Senhora De Copacabana nº583. I heard that TIM no longer requires a CPF. Perhaps Oi is the same. If they require a CPF just get a local friend to go with you and use their CPF. It is not a legal requirement but may be needed by their stoopid computer system to activate the SIM.

I got an Oi chip today there and they asked me for my CPF
Line was activated within an hour
They also require original document not xerox.
20 Reais for the chip that includes 20 Reais airtime valid for one month.

Sperto
11-27-08, 06:36
Where can I buy a new sim in Rio without a CFP number?TJ
I always buy a new TIM chip when I arrive in Rio. I buy it at a TIM store or in a booth in Lojas Americanas. When activating the chip they always ask if I have a CPF. I have a CPF but always told them I don't. It never caused any problems.
There are a lot of foreigners buying chip's without CPF.

Try one of the major TIM stores, Rio Sul, Barra Shopping etc.

Off Road
11-27-08, 18:01
Right now TIM is giving you 3 chips for the price of one (R$15). so I now have a lot of chips..

Sunset Strip
12-06-08, 22:51
Right now TIM is giving you 3 chips for the price of one (R$15). so I now have a lot of chips..

I was busy on the Saturday before I left Rio and on Sunday the Oi! store was closed in Copa. I have decided to just go with TIM from now on.

TJ

Latitude Cruz
12-07-08, 07:11
With limited portuguese vocabulary, I found it impossible to activate a SIM card the last time I tried (a couple years ago). At the time I was using TIM, and you had to call a number and go through a menu to do the activation.

That time, I just found someone to do it for me. It worked out ok but I knew this was an opportunity for someone to rip me off and I dodn't like feeling so helpless.

-Is Oi different?
-Has the procedure changed?
-Is there another way to activate (maybe the web)?
-Can the menu be selected to english?

Perkele
12-07-08, 11:12
Let them do it for you.

Even when you do speak the language its not so simple. Basically all operators are requiring CPF number, so if you don't have one let the seller activate the SIM.

Exec Talent
01-08-09, 12:46
I have a recharge plan with Claro (not an account) which provides some bonuses. When I recharge, it adds what it terms Bonus minutos which change as I use the phone. For example, right now it says Bonus 367 minutos e 18 segundos val. When I asked a Brazilian who also has Claro they said it means that after my credits run out I would still be able to talk on the phone. That was not the case.

I have gone to the Claro store with questions in the past and never seem to get a straight explanation (or more like it, I just did not understand their explanation).

Can any of you cellular or Rio experts explain what this Bonus means?
Thanks!

Java Man
01-09-09, 00:02
I think those bonus minutes are for when you call another claro number in the same area code.
Looking at the Claro website, there are currently two Bonuses for Claro Cartão accounts:
Alo Ganhou:
Earn $R1 per minute for every call received, up to $R20; bonus minutes appear the following month and are good for 1 month, expires 2/28/09.

Felicidade: (unknown expiration date)
Bronze: 12-18 months with Claro $R0.79/min Claro to Claro local call.
Prata: 18-24 months with Claro $R0.69.min Claro to Claro local call.
Ouro: More that 24 months with Claro $R0.59.min Claro to Claro local call.

Dial *525 from your Claro phone to join.

http://www.claro.com.br/portal/saibamais.do?method=showSaibaMais&titulo=Promo%E7%F5es%20Claro%20Cart%E3o&tipo=Destaque&altura=400.0&flash=/StaticFiles/Flash/claro_cartao_novosite.swf

BTW, you can check your Claro minutes online:
http://www.claro.com.br/portal/nfprepago.do?method=showDefault
enter your phone number, the site will send a password to the phone, then enter password to the site.

Viper10
01-16-09, 17:43
I went to the TIM store yesterday and purchased 3 chips for 15R total. I was also able to do it without my passport, just with my passport number. They also signed me up for a promotion if I spend 25R a month, a bonus of 25R would appear one time each month.

On another note, I was able to unblock a phone at 634 Av. Copacabana for 40R. I am pretty sure I could of negotiated 35R if I wanted to.

Viper10

Poucolouco
01-16-09, 17:52
I went to the TIM store yesterday and purchased 3 chips for 15R total. I was also able to do it without my passport, just with my passport number. They also signed me up for a promotion if I spend 25R a month, a bonus of 25R would appear one time each month.
Viper10

Make a note to yourself. Your R$25 bonus will always be credited on the anniversary date of your activation each month that you qualify.

Jazzy Daddy
01-16-09, 19:17
On another note, I was able to unblock a phone at 634 Av. Copacabana for 40R. I am pretty sure I could of negotiated 35R if I wanted to.

Viper10

Did you happen to notice if they can unblock an Iphone?

Bubba Boy
01-16-09, 21:25
Download an unlock program on the net and do it yourself. You can actually do this with virtually all phones, however the Iphone has a ton of programs for this and is very easy

Jazzy Daddy
01-16-09, 22:20
Download an unlock program on the net and do it yourself. You can actually do this with virtually all phones, however the Iphone has a ton of programs for this and is very easy

Only problem it is very difficult to decipher which one of those programs actually works and you have to spend the money before you find out. I know that you have to trick the iphone with a very slim sim that fits over the ATT sim. I'd rather pay someone to do it while I'm present.

Thanks for your comment...

Bubba Boy
01-17-09, 00:24
This works, I have unblocked a few Iphones in my time. I used to bring in 1 or 2 every trip.

You can download it for free from many bit torrent sites.

http://www.ziphone.org/

If you do think this is too dificult, it will cost R$60-R$100 to unlock an Iphone in Rio. I personally think it is a better option to buy a cell phone in Brazil for R$150 new. The risk of having a good phone stolen in moderately high.

Jazzy Daddy
01-19-09, 02:39
I'll try it. I do have a second phone that I am bringing with me to use there, I just wanted to get this 3g taken care of for future travels...

Jazzy Daddy
01-24-09, 00:50
This works, I have unblocked a few Iphones in my time. I used to bring in 1 or 2 every trip.

You can download it for free from many bit torrent sites.

http://www.ziphone.org/

Thanks for the great recommendation. I went to the site downloaded, followed the instructions and about 1/2 later I had the Iphone 3g Jailbroken and Unlocked.

If you're in Rio in Feb. give me a shout as I'd like to to take you to lunch...

Sprite13
02-07-09, 08:53
I will be buying a cheap unlocked cell phone for my Brasil trips. Where would I buy a sim card for it? Is there a place at the Galeao or somewhere in Copa? Or would I have to go to a shopping mall and buy it from either Oi, Tim or some other local phone company?

All suggestions are very much welcomed!

FoxesHunter
02-07-09, 11:01
Hi, the next mounth I will reach Brasil. I will bring with me NOKIA E51 cellular phone. In Brazil if I will buy a new card, will it work fine?
Thanks

Bubba Boy
02-07-09, 11:13
I will be buying a cheap unlocked cell phone for my Brasil trips. Where would I buy a sim card for it? Is there a place at the Galeao or somewhere in Copa? Or would I have to go to a shopping mall and buy it from either Oi, Tim or some other local phone company?

Last time I needed a sim card you could buy it at any TIM store. There are at least 2 on Av Nossa Senhora de Copacabana in Copacabana. The one I went to was on the corner of Siqueira Campos. You need to bring your passport. There are TIM stores everywhere.

Bubba Boy
02-07-09, 11:16
Hi, the next mounth I will reach Brasil. I will bring with me NOKIA E51 cellular phone. In Brazil if I will buy a new card, will it work fine?
Thanks

If it is unlocked and is a quad band phone, as most new phones are, then it will work fine. Possibly not all features will work, but it will be fine for texting and making calls.

FoxesHunter
02-07-09, 11:49
If it is unlocked and is a quad band phone, as most new phones are, then it will work fine. Possibly not all features will work, but it will be fine for texting and making calls.

How could I know if my phone is unlocked? I have bought it in Europe.
thanks

Perkele
02-07-09, 12:45
How could I know if my phone is unlocked? I have bought it in Europe.
thanks
Just ask your operator.
Or get a sim card from another operator and put it into your phone. If it works its unblocked, if it doesn't its blocked.

Ryjerrob
02-07-09, 17:53

I recently purchased a couple of cards from TIM. The special was 2 for R$10. At a kiosk at a mall, you may get less service, but the store was great. They are all about making the sale. With a passport, or even a driver's license they will activate for you no problem. To check your balance dial #222 call. It's great or what I want to do.

ryjer

Jan 156
02-10-09, 20:35
To check your balance dial #222 call.

Or even quicker and without the automated Portuguese voice, call *222# and the amount you have left is displayed on your screen.

Looking For Eden
05-19-09, 03:15
Hoping someone can answer this pretty quick. I have gone back a year in this thread and what I have decided is between the Motorola motofone F3, which is cheap and outdated. The Motorola RAZR V3, a bit more expensive but not bad or the international phones on the special promotions link from bootsnall. Can anybody give me an opinion on which is best and why or provide another option? Much appreciated.

Poucolouco
05-19-09, 04:33
Hoping someone can answer this pretty quick. I have gone back a year in this thread and what I have decided is between the Motorola motofone F3, which is cheap and outdated. The Motorola RAZR V3, a bit more expensive but not bad or the international phones on the special promotions link from bootsnall. Can anybody give me an opinion on which is best and why or provide another option? Much appreciated.

My quick answer is get one of each. I have three Motorola Razr V3's and a V3I. Shop around and you can get a good price. I also have a motofone F3 which I use at the beach. It has the advantage of a high-contrast screen that can be read in full glare of the sun. Unless you are an adolescent it is a real chore to send text messages but it is very inexpensive, about ($30 - $40.) and expendable. Be sure to purchase unblocked and at least dual band GSM.

Looking For Eden
05-19-09, 12:47
Thank you sir. That is what I needed to know.

Cho 637
06-21-09, 03:33
I purchased an LG kp106b phone in Brasil but I haven't been able to find it online so that I can get it unlocked. It maybe on a portuguese site but my port is not good enough. Anyone know of somewhere in Rio where I can get it unlocked?

Poucolouco
06-21-09, 03:42
I purchased an LG kp106b phone in Brasil but I haven't been able to find it online so that I can get it unlocked. It maybe on a portuguese site but my port is not good enough. Anyone know of somewhere in Rio where I can get it unlocked?

Take the metro to Urguaiana Station SAARA shopping. There are tens of places and street vendors that advertise Desbloquear Celular. There will be a small fee.

Cho 637
06-24-09, 05:25
Take the metro to Urguaiana Station SAARA shopping. There are tens of places and street vendors that advertise Desbloquear Celular. There will be a small fee.

I appreciate the help.

Orca11
06-24-09, 12:03
I purchased an LG kp106b phone in Brasil but I haven't been able to find it online so that I can get it unlocked. It maybe on a portuguese site but my port is not good enough. Anyone know of somewhere in Rio where I can get it unlocked?You can also go to www.unlocktotalk.com and they can unlock your phone online.

Benjoe
06-24-09, 22:48
A 25R card used to add 6 months of validade. I bought one a week ago, and I added 3 months of validade. Is this what others are getting? Has there been a change? Thanks.

Cho 637
06-26-09, 18:00
You can also go to www.unlocktotalk.com and they can unlock your phone online.

Thanks. It was listed here. Probably cost a lot more than in Brazil. :-)

Eros74
09-27-09, 01:37
I bought a tim sim card a week ago, the sms I got said it will expire on 20 december 2009, so 3 months from the last recharge.

What I am asking is, if in january I will recharge again, I will be able to use the same card and have the same number or I will have to buy another one ?

Poucolouco
09-27-09, 02:10
I bought a tim sim card a week ago, the sms I got said it will expire on 20 december 2009, so 3 months from the last recharge.

What I am asking is, if in january I will recharge again, I will be able to use the same card and have the same number or I will have to buy another one ?

The sim chip will stay active as long as you make at least one call within 90 days. If the phone number is not used for 90 days, the number may be cancelled. The message you received was in reference to the time cartao which is used to add usage credits (minutes) to your phone.

Eros74
09-27-09, 02:23
Thanks, so I can take it just as memory, onluckily no chance I can use it in the next 90 days.

El Greco
09-27-09, 06:18

Try to recharge it with such amount of reais that will give you a three month validity. I think is 25 reais minimum. ONE RECHARGE OF 25 REAIS. Not 3 of ten reais. They will only give you 1 month validity no matter how many reais you put in.

The fourth month you can only receive calls and make emergency ones and the fifth month only make emergency call.

The number will expire two months after those three months. So actually the number will be good for five months and can be extented same way if recharged within those 5 months. Reais will be accumulated. IMO No need to make any call in these three months.

Last time TIM had a promotion and gave me three sim cards for the price of one. I used first one and let it expire. I have two more to use.

Benjoe
09-27-09, 15:15
Last time TIM had a promotion and gave me three sim cards for the price of one. I used first one and let it expire. I have two more to use.
I got that deal also. Is it relatively straightforward (as easy as adding units) to activate a new card? Thanks.

Exec Talent
09-27-09, 17:19
Try to recharge it with such amount of reais that will give you a three month validity. I think is 25 reais minimum. ONE RECHARGE OF 25 REAIS. Not 3 of ten reais. They will only give you 1 month validity no matter how many reais you put in.

The fourth month you can only receive calls and make emergency ones and the fifth month only make emergency call.

The number will expire two months after those three months. So actually the number will be good for five months and can be extented same way if recharged within those 5 months. Reais will be accumulated. IMO No need to make any call in these three months.

I have a plan with Claro which requires recharging at least R$11 per month. I just have a friend recharge it for me and pay him when I come back. Also, I am not certain, but sending SMS (text) messages over the internet might also keep it active.

El Greco
09-27-09, 18:07
I got that deal also. Is it relatively straightforward (as easy as adding units) to activate a new card? Thanks.

You've better go to a TIM stand or office and let them actvate it for you.
That's what I do because they need to see your original passport and will ask you for a CPF number.

El Greco
09-27-09, 18:10
I have a plan with Claro which requires recharging at least R$11 per month. I just have a friend recharge it for me and pay him when I come back. Also, I am not certain, but sending SMS (text) messages over the internet might also keep it active.

Most probably that's because you have a plan. I was talking about prepaid sim cards. Not with a monthly plan.

Exec Talent
10-07-09, 14:44
It seems very easy to get an unblocked cell phone these days or to unblock one even if it is not unblocked. Are there any recommended models?

Buscemi
10-07-09, 15:11
It seems very easy to get an unblocked cell phone these days or to unblock one even if it is not unblocked. Are there any recommended models?

Ther Motorola RAZR V3 is a perfectly good travel phone, make sure you buy a QUAD band, unlocked, if you buy it online, it works on any GSM system. They are $50 +/- on eBay in good condition/reconditioned new.

The Watcher
10-07-09, 15:52
Ther Motorola RAZR V3 is a perfectly good travel phone, make sure you buy a QUAD band, unlocked, if you buy it online, it works on any GSM system. They are $50 +/- on eBay in good condition/reconditioned new.

The Motorola RAZR V3 quad band is the phone I use in Rio. I bought it on e-bay two years ago. I don't remember the price but I think it was around $60-$70. It was supposedly unlocked but it wasn't so I had it unlocked in Rio. I have used this phone on TIM and Vivo. It works great.

Exec Talent
10-07-09, 17:00
The Motorola RAZR V3 quad band is the phone I use in Rio. I bought it on e-bay two years ago. I don't remember the price but I think it was around $60-$70. It was supposedly unlocked but it wasn't so I had it unlocked in Rio. I have used this phone on TIM and Vivo. It works great.

You guys are the best! Thanks!

Exec Talent
10-09-09, 13:37
In addition to Skype, which I use to communicate with friends in Brazil over the internet, I also use Vonage which recently has added international service. The voice quality is very good (much better than Tel3 that constantly would drop calls) and calls to fixed phones (land lines) are included in the $24.99 price.

Eros74
10-09-09, 21:28
... make sure you buy a QUAD band...

Sorry, why quad band when dual band 900-1800Mhz works fine ?

Actually in Europe I have bought a surely not fashion but very cheap Nokia 1200, 10 euro second or third hand from my friend, and it works great for Rio. So cheap mobile I think they never care to rob LOL, but just put brazilian sim card and it works immediately, for phone call or sms, it is good for me.

The same model should be found out of Europe easily too.

Never tried vonage, but besides skype, it works good for me this too:

www.voipcheap.com

The Watcher
10-10-09, 02:02
Sorry, why quad band when dual band 900-1800Mhz works fine ?

I do not know about other networks in Brasil but I do know about the Vivo network. I have always used the Vivo network which uses CDMA technology (i.e. it does not require a chip). They recently started offering GSM service and one of the GSM models approved for use on the Vivo network is a Motorola Razr V3 QUAD BAND. Because of previous experience with Vivo, I know that you need to have a phone that they specifically use or you risk that the phone does not work on their network. Accordingly, I bought a Motorola quad band and it has really worked well for me.

The Watcher
10-10-09, 02:22
In addition to Skype, which I use to communicate with friends in Brazil over the internet, I also use Vonage which recently has added international service. The voice quality is very good (much better than Tel3 that constantly would drop calls) and calls to fixed phones (land lines) are included in the $24.99 price.

Another international calling option is MagicJack. I use MagicJack to make calls from Brasil to the US. I also have friends who live in Brasil that also use MagicJack to call the US and when I am in the US I call them by calling their MagicJack number.

MagicJack also has an international calling plan but I have not used this plan. The costs are about $.05 a minute to fixed lines and $.34 a minute to cell phones.

The cost is only $39.95 for the first year and $19.95 a year thereafter.

Eros74
10-10-09, 03:30
I do not know about other networks in Brasil...

My experience is with Claro and Tim sim cards and both works fine with GSM, even if I prefer and in future I will buy only Tim.

Perkele
10-12-09, 23:16
My experience is with Claro and Tim sim cards and both works fine with GSM, even if I prefer and in future I will buy only Tim.

The GSM networks in Brasil, especially in Rio:

Claro, TIM, OI: 900 & 1800 MHz
Vivo 850 Mhz

In Europe the networks work 900 & 1800 MHz and in USA 850 & 1900.

That's why americans need quadband if they want to use those 3 operators.

Eros74
10-12-09, 23:54
...That's why americans need quadband if they want to use those 3 operators.

Perkele thanks for short but good explanation, now it is totally clear :)

Java Man
10-13-09, 05:14
Cheap International rates.

From US to Brazil landline 0.015
From US to Brazil Cellphone 0.149

Here's what makes them unique:

Enter your friend's international number and Rebtel gives you a unique local US number for you to call them. The call appears as a Local Brazil number on your friends caller ID. They can then call that local Brazil number to call you, thus avoiding international rates. Local rates still apply.

This is not just for Brazil, but Global. I've made calls to Australia too.
The connection is better that Tel3.com

www.rebtel.com

Ryjerrob
10-18-09, 20:34

Enter your friend's international number and Rebtel gives you a unique local US number for you to call them. The call appears as a Local Brazil number on your friends caller ID. They can then call that local Brazil number to call you, thus avoiding international rates. Local rates still apply.

www.rebtel.com

I was recently using something similar.

www.virtufon.com

I too had a local number that rang here in the US. I guess it depends on your personal needs. The concept itself is very good, not only for Brazil, but other international destinations.

ryjer

Cho 637
10-20-09, 05:06

www.rebtel.com

The only problem is that after the first minute you are billed in 6 second increments. That makes a minute $1.50.

Java Man
10-20-09, 06:47
The only problem is that after the first minute you are billed in 6 second increments. That makes a minute $1.50.Where or how did you find that out? And is that for landline, cellphone or both?

J Falcon
10-24-09, 17:09
i'm planning to get a sim for my unlocked gsm cell phone so i can communicate with the locals while in brazil. my research has suggested getting something from tim, oi, or claro. does anyone have a recommendation on what's best? can i get a sim and load up at the airport in sao paulo?

also, vivo, tim, and claro offer a 3g "minimoden" to access the internet from a laptop over the cell network. i've used these in asia and africa and they worked very well. i have a unlocked 3g usb modem that i'd like to use in brazil. does anyone know anything about these for brazil? is the speed/coverage/stability reasonable? are they available prepaid?

Minnesotah
11-04-09, 11:00
I was recently using something similar.

www.virtufon.com

I too had a local number that rang here in the US. I guess it depends on your personal needs. The concept itself is very good, not only for Brazil, but other international destinations.

ryjer

Different companies use the same concept, but if I am correct, all of them require you to make a US (domestic) long distance to call the US number linked to the foreign line. So, let's say that you're in a in city/town X, you might still need to pay for a long distance call to NYC, L.A., Seattle or anywhere else. In that case, you need to add up the US long distance to the international call. It is not bad, but it seems that setting up a foreign local line with Skype, Vonage or anyone else is probably cheaper and more simple to use.

Jan 156
11-04-09, 15:36
I'm planning to get a SIM for my unlocked GSM cell phone so I can communicate with the locals while in Brazil. My research has suggested getting something from TIM, Oi, or Claro. Does anyone have a recommendation on what's best?

I tend to use TIM. But remember that as soon as you move outside the city where you bought it, you will incur high long distance charges - if you mean Brazil rather than just SP - so it becomes near useless till you get another. Remember nice phones are also mugger bait in many locales. Unless I am solely frequenting posh places I know to be fairly safe, I tend to have a cheapie disposable phone for carrying around and local use. A good phone with bells and whistles is happier near a hotel safe. Hope this helps.

Erectus Indicus
02-11-10, 19:36
Gents, here is the price comparison table for various VOIP services operated by Betamax (including voipcheap) for all countries.

http://backsla.sh/betamax

A word of caution : Apparently there are some issues with customer support (i.e. non-existent) and in some forums there are complaints that credit cards got charged without authorisation. I generally use these services with a debit card or a service like iDeal and hence no problems till date.

If you want to avoid the VAT, use a number and a country where there is no VAT but then the methods of payment offered might differ.

Amerioca
08-17-10, 04:43
i'm planning to get a sim for my unlocked gsm cell phone so i can communicate with the locals while in brazil. my research has suggested getting something from tim, oi, or claro. does anyone have a recommendation on what's best? can i get a sim and load up at the airport in sao paulo?

also, vivo, tim, and claro offer a 3g "minimoden" to access the internet from a laptop over the cell network. i've used these in asia and africa and they worked very well. i have a unlocked 3g usb modem that i'd like to use in brazil. does anyone know anything about these for brazil? is the speed/coverage/stability reasonable? are they available prepaid?

i have been using tim for several years. if i remember correctly, the pre-paid sim was approx. r$25, included r$5 credit. i would not rec. using data on your 3g phone, it will suck up your credits! be advised.

as rec. by fellow isg bros, get a quad band phone. make sure it is unlocked. also, i would get a sim that is specific to the area spent most.

good hunting.

Dave132
10-25-10, 03:20
Does anybody know of data packages for prepaid? In some countries you can I. E. Buy 500 MB of data valid for one week on a prepaid chip. Unfortunately I don't speak any portugese, so I can't research myself on the operator's websites if any offers such a possibility.

Ricker
10-25-10, 18:36
I have been using TIM for several years. If I remember correctly, the Pre-Paid SIM was approx. R$25, included R$5 credit. I would not rec. using DATA on your 3G phone, it will suck up your credits! Be advised.

As rec. by fellow ISG bros, get a quad band phone. Make sure it is UNLOCKED. Also, I would get a SIM that is specific to the area spent most.

Good hunting.

I bought an unlocked, Quad band, and Dual sim card, cel phone on E-bay for about $50.

I usually insert both my TIM and Oi sim cards which I find to be the most popular among my friends in Sao Paulo which I visit frequently.

I actually bought sim cards from all 4 operators in SP.
TIM, Oi, Claro and Vivo and can insert 2 at time in my cel.
Calls can get expensive when calling friends from unlike services and run fairly inexpensive to same service.

Works well for me.
The sim cards are cheap at about 10-20R and come with some credit.

I don't mess with data-service so don't know about this.

Boa sorte ...

Cathyacur
01-10-12, 11:00
I have been using cheap calling cards from oneandus. Com from last 6 months and found the good quality services as well as cheap international calling cards rate for USA, UK, Kenya, Nigeria, Ghana, India, Mexico and beyond.

Sunset Strip
02-19-12, 16:48
Has anybody used their android phone / MP3 (or I-phone) in Rio to browse the internet? The phone would obviously not work. But what about internet access?

My assumption is that we can use our wireless devices in Rio as long as there is a signal. Our computers work in Brazil, so I assume our WIFI mobile devices will, too. But

Since I am not a tech geek, I thought I would ask you all.

And, if you have used one of these devices, how available did you find free wifi?

I know some women I speak to online use free WIFI in coffee shops via their phones. I was just wondering whether any of you all have taken a device down with you for

Use. I hear there is free wifi on Copacabana Beach.

SS

Exec Talent
02-19-12, 18:08
Has anybody used their android phone / MP3 (or I-phone) in Rio to browse the internet? The phone would obviously not work. But what about internet access?

My assumption is that we can use our wireless devices in Rio as long as there is a signal. Our computers work in Brazil, so I assume our WIFI mobile devices will, too. But

Since I am not a tech geek, I thought I would ask you all.

And, if you have used one of these devices, how available did you find free wifi?

I know some women I speak to online use free WIFI in coffee shops via their phones. I was just wondering whether any of you all have taken a device down with you for

Use. I hear there is free wifi on Copacabana Beach.

SSIPhones work with no issues.

Sunset Strip
02-19-12, 22:47
Thanks, ET. Hope all is well with you.

SS

Jan 156
03-11-12, 21:36
If you are able to check the quality of the wifi before booking in to a hotel it is usually worth doing so. For instance, when moving, ask if they have wifi and ask to see a room. Test the password while in the room. Many hotels have wifi. But in some, although it exists, it can be next to useless.

Upmarket coffee shops (like the bookshop / coffee shop) on the corner of I think Rio Branco and Vargas, have great wifi. As with many places, you only need to buy a coffee there once to get the password, then you can connect up while looking at the books or sometimes even standing outside.

IPhone maps seems to store quite a lot of recently used stuff in its cache. So if you look up the roads of an area they may still be there when you have no connection. Or take a screen snapshot. I also keep an offline dictionary with full conjugations.

The thing wifi won't let you do of course is phone chicas. For that you need to be unlocked and get a chip from a store (or one for 5R at the market and play around with it).

Java Man
07-20-12, 05:26
"BRASILIA, July 18 (Reuters). Brazil's telecom regulator on Wednesday ordered three leading carriers to stop selling new mobile plans in certain states, an unusually strong punishment in response to rising consumer complaints about dropped calls and spotty coverage.

Regulator Anatel said that, in each of Brazil's 26 states plus the federal district of Brasilia, the company with the poorest service would be unable to sell new plans. The suspension will be effective on Monday and remain in place until the carriers present an investment plan to improve service quality, the agency said.

The suspension is one of the toughest pro-consumer measures taken by the government of President Dilma Rousseff and comes as investors are increasingly concerned about the government's willingness to intervene in the struggling economy.

"A growing client base needs to be accompanied by more investments," Anatel head João Batista de Resende told reporters, adding that the regulator had tracked growing customer service complaints for over a year.

TIM Participações, the Brazilian unit of Telecom Italia, will be prohibited from selling new plans in 19 states. Grupo Oi will be barred from selling in five states and sales by Claro, a unit of Mexican tycoon Carlos Slim's America Movil, are banned in three states.

Telefonica Brasil, a unit of Spain's Telefonica, will not have its sales suspended, but must present plans within 30 days to improve service or face sanctions.

Providers violating the sales bans will be fined 200, 000 reais ($99, 000) per day."

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/07/18/telecom-brazil-penalties-idINL2E8IICEF20120718

Per Businessweek: "The ban on Claro included Sao Paulo, the nation's most populous state, and Tim was blocked in the second- and third-biggest states, Minas Gerais and Rio de Janeiro."

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-07-19/brazil-said-to-study-lifting-ban-on-tim-oi-claro-in-20-days

GreenAndYellow
08-01-12, 16:51
"BRASILIA, July 18 (Reuters). Brazil's telecom regulator on Wednesday ordered three leading carriers to stop selling new mobile plans in certain states, an unusually strong punishment in response to rising consumer complaints about dropped calls and spotty coverage.

Regulator Anatel said that, in each of Brazil's 26 states plus the federal district of Brasilia, the company with the poorest service would be unable to sell new plans. The suspension will be effective on Monday and remain in place until the carriers present an investment plan to improve service quality, the agency said.

The suspension is one of the toughest pro-consumer measures taken by the government of President Dilma Rousseff and comes as investors are increasingly concerned about the government's willingness to intervene in the struggling economy.

"A growing client base needs to be accompanied by more investments," Anatel head João Batista de Resende told reporters, adding that the regulator had tracked growing customer service complaints for over a year.

TIM Participações, the Brazilian unit of Telecom Italia, will be prohibited from selling new plans in 19 states. Grupo Oi will be barred from selling in five states and sales by Claro, a unit of Mexican tycoon Carlos Slim's America Movil, are banned in three states.

Telefonica Brasil, a unit of Spain's Telefonica, will not have its sales suspended, but must present plans within 30 days to improve service or face sanctions.

Providers violating the sales bans will be fined 200, 000 reais ($99, 000) per day."

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/07/18/telecom-brazil-penalties-idINL2E8IICEF20120718

Per Businessweek: "The ban on Claro included Sao Paulo, the nation's most populous state, and Tim was blocked in the second- and third-biggest states, Minas Gerais and Rio de Janeiro."

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-07-19/brazil-said-to-study-lifting-ban-on-tim-oi-claro-in-20-daysIf you're in the north stick to TIM or Oi and for the south choose Claro or Vivo and you will be good to go.

TheAlvarez1001
08-27-12, 20:03
If you're in the north stick to TIM or Oi and for the south choose Claro or Vivo and you will be good to go.Hello,

Based on which knowledge you recommend the providers?

And means the suspension I can`t buy right now a new SIM-Card in these Brazilian states?

TheAlvarez1001
10-14-12, 02:45
Hello peoples.

Which carriers you can recommend right now for citys like Rio, SP or Iguacu including internet on smartphones?

Baggio67
10-14-12, 17:18
Hello peoples.

Which carriers you can recommend right now for citys like Rio, SP or Iguacu including internet on smartphones?I have tried the various carriers in Rio and from my experience you will get better coverage from TIM. I am sure TIM will be good in SP as well. I do not have any info in Iguacu.

Poucolouco
10-14-12, 17:34
I have tried the various carriers in Rio and from my experience you will get better coverage from TIM. I am sure TIM will be good in SP as well. I do not have any info in Iguacu.Check the Tim coverage map. 3G is supported but frequency varies depending on the Bairro.

http://www.tim.com.br/portal/site/PortalWeb/menuitem.49fdc366f3ae6d3ca2fdb810703016a0/?tecnologia=3G&vgnextoid=439127df89401110VgnVCM100000a22e700aRCRD&wfe_estado_tresg=PR&wfe_cidade_tresg=7579&cobertura_tresg=&frequencia_tresg=&wfe_pweb_area=59&wfe_pweb_estado=26&#mapa

Baggio67
10-14-12, 22:26
Check the Tim coverage map. 3G is supported but frequency varies depending on the Bairro.

http://www.tim.com.br/portal/site/PortalWeb/menuitem.49fdc366f3ae6d3ca2fdb810703016a0/?tecnologia=3G&vgnextoid=439127df89401110VgnVCM100000a22e700aRCRD&wfe_estado_tresg=PR&wfe_cidade_tresg=7579&cobertura_tresg=&frequencia_tresg=&wfe_pweb_area=59&wfe_pweb_estado=26&#mapaI can't get the map to work for me, but if you have a world phone like an iPhone that is quad band 850/900/1800/1900, plus I think it has 2200 for 3G as well you should be good to go anywhere in the world.

TheAlvarez1001
10-15-12, 01:12
Thanks for informations. What about "OI" and "VIVO" and "CLARO"? For citys like RJ+SP and maybe Foz do Iguacu.

Baggio67
10-15-12, 04:39
Thanks for informations. What about "OI" and "VIVO" and "CLARO"? For citys like RJ+SP and maybe Foz do Iguacu.I have had OI, it wasn't as good as TIM in RJ for me. Furthermore, I think I had to use a friend's CPF number to get a prepaid sim card from them. With TIM, I have been able to get sim cards with my passport.

I tired a Vivo once and the required CPF as well and did not get it because I did not have access to a CPF number at the time.

Erectus Indicus
10-15-12, 15:53
Sometimes the prepaid cards in the TIM store on the second floor are sold out, so you will have to go to the Lojas Americanas store in the fourth floor (the floor where there is a Starbucks) and buy a sim card there.

If you want a micro SIM make sure you get the right one. Then there is a small TIM store on the same floor, just around the corner. You can get it activated there. Of course, take your passport with you.

Poucolouco
10-15-12, 19:35
Thanks for informations. What about "OI" and "VIVO" and "CLARO"? For citys like RJ+SP and maybe Foz do Iguacu.You can find answers to all your questions here:

http://www.oi.com.br/

http://www.vivo.com.br/

http://www.claro.com.br/

http://www.tim.com.br/

TheAlvarez1001
10-17-12, 02:28
You can find answers to all your questions here:

http://www.oi.com.br/

http://www.vivo.com.br/

http://www.claro.com.br/

http://www.tim.com.br/Thanks for the links but my portugues is not the best! And I know these operators from their websites. Sorry man but this is not really helpfull.

Jan 156
10-17-12, 17:12
A couple of basic things which might help.

If you go out of Rio. Even just a little way upstate. Your prepaid SIM will run down fast than ice-cream on a hot day.

Rio Sul Shopping is user-friendly (one or two people there can speak some English) but allow plenty of time.

TIM is maybe the easiest (in my experience and maybe the most mentioned on this board, but I might be wrong).

You can buy a SIM with no questions asked for a four or five reis in Uruguiana (Saare) market. But you will probably need to get a registered Brasilian to unlock it.

If you get stuck, for instance, topping up your card with the endless Porto recorded messages, your local newstand (where you bought the re-charge) is your friend.

The best place for your mobile phone is down the front of your jeans. (Or your hotel safe.)

Skype is often cheaper. Even to landlines and mobile phones.

Jan 156
10-17-12, 17:16
Ps if you are in some civilisation-forgotten place like Iguacu or Sao Luis, your objective is achieved if you can find any bank, phone company, or sometimes even hotel, that will do what you want without exorbitant hassle !!

Baggio67
10-17-12, 18:00
A couple of basic things which might help.

If you go out of Rio. Even just a little way upstate. Your prepaid SIM will run down fast than ice-cream on a hot day.

Rio Sul Shopping is user-friendly (one or two people there can speak some English) but allow plenty of time.

TIM is maybe the easiest (in my experience and maybe the most mentioned on this board, but I might be wrong).

You can buy a SIM with no questions asked for a four or five reis in Uruguiana (Saare) market. But you will probably need to get a registered Brasilian to unlock it.

If you get stuck, for instance, topping up your card with the endless Porto recorded messages, your local newstand (where you bought the re-charge) is your friend.

The best place for your mobile phone is down the front of your jeans. (Or your hotel safe.)

Skype is often cheaper. Even to landlines and mobile phones.I have also used this site to recharge a prepaid TIM account. It's pretty reliable, especially if it is late at night and you need credits. The last time used the exchange rate for US dollars was pretty close to what I saw at the cambios.

https://www.aryty.com/

Greengo
03-03-13, 23:13
I'm using a Vivo chip and msg to Claro user "not delivered".

I can receive a msg from Claro, call Claro, but can't send a msg. Any ideas why.

Seems msg to other providers work fine.

Greengo

Jan 156
03-20-14, 10:56
I've often found more problems in recent years using chips in Brazil. It used to just be a case of taking an unlocked phone then spending half an hour in a TIM or other phone shop; or else buying a chip from a newsagents or the market and a quick phone call to activate it. In the past couple of years I've been offered long queues, hours of paperwork, expensive chips that don't work as soon as I travel out of state, or don't activate within the promised time period, chips and microchips that refuse to work on my phone, and even international chips that stop working as soon as I enter Brasil.

Using a phone in Brasil is not cheap, especially if you are calling from one city to another, but there are also some good deals available from some companies if you can get them to work.

Java Man
03-21-14, 06:52
I've often found more problems in recent years using chips in Brazil. It used to just be a case of taking an unlocked phone then spending half an hour in a TIM or other phone shop; or else buying a chip from a newsagents or the market and a quick phone call to activate it.That's what I did this trip: Bought a Claro MicroSim at a Lojas Americana express in Copa. Had a friend call and activate it. No problems. My last trip, last year, I used TIM, wasn't too happy with the service: dropped and missed calls. Problem with Claro, per an Oglobo report its rates are the highest of all carriers. The pre-paid rates are 132% higher than the post paid rates. In other words, it's expensive to call other mobile carriers from a Claro number.

Perkele
03-22-14, 16:13
Lot of people often wonder why there are so many problems with Brazilian cellphone operators and I might be able to enlighten a few things.

First of all the number of the users have increased over the capacity that operators are willing to provide, meaning that even though the number of the customers is increasing they do not do any investments. Also maintenance is quite poor. Another issue is that they use worst quality network elements, mainly from China like Huawei and ZTE. These issues will cause problems like no access to the network, drop calls etc.

One of later issues has been network freezes. I mean that at least TIM and Claro have had the whole network down during the day for over 12 hours. I can only guess that the NW elements have been overloaded and crashed, which takes lot of time to recover. Quite annoying when there is no service what so ever.

Greengo here was pointing out that he couldn't get the SMS through to Claro, now this kind of problem can be within user settings of the cellphone OR Vivo doesn't allow sending the messages to Claro. Simply somebody in Vivo forgot to add this "address" into particular user profile. This happens a lot here.

Now, what makes it all more frustrating is that trying to rectify these things is a mission impossible. If you are lucky and if you can explain the problem to someone in the operators shop you might get it solved. But 99% of the cases you need to CALL to their technical support, where someone who has no technical training will "evaluate" your problem. Obvious requests from these geniuses include of restarting the phone, changing the chip to another phone and such things. Then eventually after approximately 20 calls and as many hours later they will pass you to the first level of real technical support and the whole show starts again. Resuming, no help avail. But hey, who needs a phone here anyway. Beer, beach and bitches. That's what everybody is here for.

Jan 156
04-12-14, 12:34
That's what I did this trip: Bought a Claro MicroSim at a Lojas Americana express in Copa. Had a friend call and activate it. No problems. My last trip, last year, I used TIM, wasn't too happy with the service: dropped and missed calls. Problem with Claro, per an Oglobo report its rates are the highest of all carriers. The pre-paid rates are 132% higher than the post paid rates. In other words, it's expensive to call other mobile carriers from a Claro number.I think you do get free claro to claro calls though. Last time I bought one they said I had to wait for them to activate it. I was miles from the nearest shop by the time the 'activation' failed to occur.

Tonyels
04-20-14, 14:15
Every year, I come down, I bring along a Noosy Cutter and head to Centro to buy a prepaid chip for R$5. Then I use a friend's CPF to activate the sim chip (once or twice a year for the last couple of years). After many years, my friend is starting to get concerned with so many activations using their CPF.

Has anyone had recent experience getting a prepaid chip activation from an official carrier store using a passport? The last mentions were back in 2012.

Sperto
04-20-14, 17:15
Every year, I come down, I bring along a Noosy Cutter and head to Centro to buy a prepaid chip for R$5. Then I use a friend's CPF to activate the sim chip (once or twice a year for the last couple of years). After many years, my friend is starting to get concerned with so many activations using their CPF.

Has anyone had recent experience getting a prepaid chip activation from an official carrier store using a passport? The last mentions were back in 2012.No problem at all. The last chip I got activated was by a TIM promotora in Lojas Americanas. It took less than 5 minutes.

AltoBomGosto
08-10-14, 01:29
No problem at all. The last chip I got activated was by a TIM promotora in Lojas Americanas. It took less than 5 minutes.In Sao Paulo you need a CPF number to activate your SIM.

I don't know how it works in Rio.

Sperto
08-10-14, 06:51
In Sao Paulo you need a CPF number to activate your SIM.

I don't know how it works in Rio.
When you activate a TIM SIM card they'll ask for your CPF number. If you tell them you have no CPF they'll accept your passport number. I've done this in several of the brazilian capitals, same procedure.
You can activate the SIM card by phone calling TIM or get it activated in a TIM store or by a TIM promotora in e.g Lojas Americanas. Doing it yourself by calling TIM demands some patience as TIM has some really dumb staff attending the TIM number.

Jan 156
08-12-14, 05:44
In Sao Paulo you need a CPF number to activate your SIM.
I don't know how it works in Rio.While that is usually correct, Claro brought out some "visitor packs" at the time of the world cup which I've seen recently at newsagents in downtown SP. The pack is about the size of a DVD case and comes ready with instructions to activate using your passport. I've always found Rio less hassle personally though and TIM, in spite of their reputation, more reliable. A TIM sim card from Rio Sul gets activated within an hour or two for the times I've used them. Claro didn't get it right even with a CPF (in SP) for ages. TIM is fairly easy to top up. I find the menus easier and quicker. If you don't have any Porto, most Rio newstands will do the top up for you when you buy one.

Java Man
08-12-14, 06:05
TIM is fairly easy to top up.TIM Sucked in Rio during the World Cup. It was very difficult to connect to a TIM number. Per a local I texted today, TIM still SUCKS. FYI.

Exec Talent
08-12-14, 06:27
TIM Sucked in Rio during the World Cup. It was very difficult to connect to a TIM number. Per a local I texted today, TIM still SUCKS. FYI.TIM pretty much is worthless in Rio. In Brazil is not unusual for people to use phones which support multiple SIM Cards because calls between the people with the same operator is either free or at a reduced rate. I have noticed when my friends are using TIM calls always get dropped. Claro seems to be about the best in Rio.

Jan 156
08-12-14, 16:42
TIM pretty much is worthless in Rio. In Brazil is not unusual for people to use phones which support multiple SIM Cards because calls between the people with the same operator is either free or at a reduced rate. I have noticed when my friends are using TIM calls always get dropped. Claro seems to be about the best in Rio.Claro to Claro long distance calls are also very cheap.

Sperto
12-07-14, 14:36
I've always used TIM. Now I want to change operadora as I'm no longer satisfied with TIM. I was thinking about Vivo or Claro. Somebody can give some feedback on using Vivo and Claro in Rio?

Sympalogy
12-08-14, 18:03
I'm no longer satisfied with TIM.I, as well, have stuck with TIM since ever. I think it's because I read somewhere they are the only ones who accept to activate the SIM through my passport rather than requiring a CPF.

Also, I noticed they did suck, and they did suck for many years, but I thought it's because of the old and shitty phone I always bring with me to Rio so that I don't care if someone comes, and threatens my life in exchange of my wallet and phone. Actually, I remember a guy on one of my very first trips who used a watch that looked nice but did not work for the same reason.

So, I will be interested to know from people's experience which one would be a better alternative.

I heard good things about Vivo, and I also remember I saw that many of the girls and other Brazilians had more than one number on more than one operator, and I understand that it is because they can call people cheaper on the same network, but I also noticed all of them had Vivo in addition to either a Tim or a Claro, so that might be saying something good about Vivo.

Kojak1
12-09-14, 13:43
I switched from TIM to Claro last year mainly due to the majority of the people I was calling were on Claro and it is much cheaper calling within the same network. I thought the signal and data worked better and less dropped calls too. It also gave me updates whenever a charge was made against my pre-paid account so I was better aware of my balance than with TIM. I did need a CPF to activate the chip.

Sperto
12-10-14, 08:49
I've been comparing planos pré-pago, Vivo, Claro and TIM.
No big differences. All are cheap as long as you call the same operadora. When you call another operadora it becomes really expensive.

Sperto
12-31-14, 10:21
I've been comparing planos pr-pago, Vivo, Claro and TIM.
No big differences. All are cheap as long as you call the same operadora. When you call another operadora it becomes really expensive.I ended up buying both Claro and TIM. TIM is very good if you travel to other states and wants to call to Rio. No extra roaming charges.

Both were very easy to activate. Just digit the CPF and pronto. Also an option for those without CPF.

Tonyels
03-09-15, 13:31
This is available at certain Posto do Jornals or a TIM store.

For $50 R it comes with instructions in English.

Set up is easy:

Call the included number (free) to speak to a rep in English or Portuguese.

All they require is your Passport details.

$25 R is allocated to data of which you get 1. 5 gigs over the course of 7 days.

The other $25 is credit towards making calls.

Rio Bob
03-11-15, 02:37

Set up is easy:

$25 R is allocated to data of which you get 1. 5 gigs over the course of 7 days.

The other $25 is credit towards making calls.Thanks for posting this is very good. So for 50 reais you get a telephone number? How long does that number last? How does it work? I have t-mobile whose prices for international are free with wifi and. 20 a minute local but difficult to receive local calls because of the US number.

Koolkid
03-24-16, 20:29
Does anyone know if these can be bought at arrivals at the airport. I know
some countries do it. Thanks.

Set up is easy:

Troyster
03-25-16, 03:51
Thanks for posting this is very good. So for 50 reais you get a telephone number? How long does that number last? How does it work? I have t-mobile whose prices for international are free with wifi and. 20 a minute local but difficult to receive local calls because of the US number.If you have T-Mobile, like I do, just use WhatsApp. 99% of the girls I have met are on WhatsApp. Very simple and free on wifi.

Balboa
03-25-16, 14:52
If you have T-Mobile, like I do, just use WhatsApp. 99% of the girls I have met are on WhatsApp. Very simple and free on wifi.Sprint as well.

They did a copy-cat of T-Mobile international service 6 months ago or so.

Just call Sprint and have them activate your international service, free service.

Works great!

Nordico
03-25-16, 23:39
Does anyone know if these can be bought at arrivals at the airport. I know
some countries do it. Thanks.I tried to buy one on my last trip, I think in TIM stores in shoppings Ibirapuera and Morumbi. Neither of them had those, but one of the supervisors told me that when they get them, which is not too often, they only get few and are sold immediately. I managed to live without one using zap zap and skype.

Koolkid
03-26-16, 22:41
I looked around Copa today as I was told there was a TIM shop around siqueira campos but I could not
find it. The VEVO shop near me used to sale them but they stopped due to hassle she said?!

I will try Centro on Monday.

Sperto
03-27-16, 15:03
I looked around Copa today as I was told there was a TIM shop around siqueira campos but I could not
find it. The VEVO shop near me used to sale them but they stopped due to hassle she said?!The TIM shop in the corner of NS Cop and Siqueira no longer exist. There is one in Rio Sul, third floor.

Rodeo9112
05-20-16, 22:32
Quick question. With WhatsApp, the girls in Brazil would need my regular phone number to my phone in order to message me on the app?

Larry David
05-20-16, 23:41
Quick question. With WhatsApp, the girls in Brazil would need my regular phone number to my phone in order to message me on the app?Or you can get a SIM card at Tim and nice you set up whatsapp with your new Brazilian phone number. You can keep it as your whatsapp number even after the SIM card is expired.

Rodeo9112
05-22-16, 23:45
Or you can get a SIM card at Tim and nice you set up whatsapp with your new Brazilian phone number. You can keep it as your whatsapp number even after the SIM card is expired.Can you ever have more than one phone number connected to the same account? For instance, can I have a Brazil phone number, a US phone number, and a Colombia phone number? Or is that all unnecessary because people can dial any number without charges within WhatsApp? Sorry, I'm WhatsApp ignorant! Trying to plan ahead is all.

Larry David
05-23-16, 02:41
Can you ever have more than one phone number connected to the same account? For instance, can I have a Brazil phone number, a US phone number, and a Colombia phone number? Or is that all unnecessary because people can dial any number without charges within WhatsApp? Sorry, I'm WhatsApp ignorant! Trying to plan ahead is all.With Whatsapp, you can change the number associated with your account, but the only way that I know how to have more than one number associated with the app is to have multiple phones. I take two phones when abroad. One personal and the other business. Each phone has the app with a different number. I'm thinking it might be time to use a third phone for local sim that I won't care about loss or theft.

Member #4584
05-23-16, 03:16
Can you ever have more than one phone number connected to the same account? For instance, can I have a Brazil phone number, a US phone number, and a Colombia phone number? Or is that all unnecessary because people can dial any number without charges within WhatsApp? Sorry, I'm WhatsApp ignorant! Trying to plan ahead is all.One whatsapp account works everywhere.

Gagoo
08-25-16, 04:31
I have a T-mobile plan from the USA. I have traveled to about 30 countries last year and about 20 this year. Some repeats of last year. Interestingly my data speeds in Brazil have been the fastest outside the USA using the speedtest app. I many times get at least 6 mbps download and about 2 mbps upload. In Curitiba I got a 16.86 mbps download and 15.66 mbps upload speed, and here is Sao Paulo I just got a 11.35 mbps download and 4. 19 mbps upload. My phone is showing 4 G LTE mode. I'm guessing T-Mobile isn't being throttled here. I think it was on July 1st when I was in Europe, T-Mobile sent me a text saying as of July 1st 4 G speeds are free in Europe, but I still didn't get great speeds in Europe.

Koolkid
08-29-16, 17:48
Anyone who was there during the Olympics or who is there now know if these are still onsale?

Thanks.

Set up is easy:

Gagoo
08-30-16, 06:29
I travel a lot, and I don't want to get a SIM for every country I visit. You can get T-Mobile in the US and other countries have it also, just get you a T-Mobile phone. I like AT&T better, but with T-Mobile I don't need to play any games, or I don't have to plan for anything. I've been to about 20 countries this year, and I will go to at least 8 more. I traveled and hopped around last year for more than 6 months straight. On my current trip I am near 4 months of continuous travel to various countries.

I never needed to go buy some other SIM card. I just got my T-Mobile and that's it. Said and done. Now if someone steals my phone, I will mostly be pissed about losing my SIM.

I just took a speed test not using Wifi. My phone data in Brazil is faster here than any Wifi I have gotten so far. Attached is a screenshot of a speed test I did just now.

35.86 Mbps download, 27.32 Mbps upload. Currently it might help me that it is late and I am on a very high floor. But the speed is awesome. Just a little too much of a ping time.

Koolkid
08-30-16, 18:26
Thanks for your reply but I m looking for the local SIM.

I travel a lot, and I don't want to get a SIM for every country I visit. You can get T-Mobile in the US and other countries have it also, just get you a T-Mobile phone. I like AT&T better, but with T-Mobile I don't need to play any games, or I don't have to plan for anything. I've been to about 20 countries this year, and I will go to at least 8 more. I traveled and hopped around last year for more than 6 months straight. On my current trip I am near 4 months of continuous travel to various countries.

I never needed to go buy some other SIM card. I just got my T-Mobile and that's it. Said and done. Now if someone steals my phone, I will mostly be pissed about losing my SIM.

I just took a speed test not using Wifi. My phone data in Brazil is faster here than any Wifi I have gotten so far. Attached is a screenshot of a speed test I did just now.

35.86 Mbps download, 27.32 Mbps upload. Currently it might help me that it is late and I am on a very high floor. But the speed is awesome. Just a little too much of a ping time.

Sperto
08-30-16, 20:37
Thanks for your reply but I m looking for the local SIM.
Regarding TIM Visitor. A 5 seconds internet search gives the answer. Google is fantastic...
http://www.tim.com.br/sp/para-voce/planos/pre-pago/tim-visitor

Koolkid
08-30-16, 21:33
Yes thanks Sperto I was aware Google did this. The last time I was in Rio the sims were not available at the local TIM store and no real explanation was given why. So that was my reason for asking the question if anyone has recently purchased one.

Regarding TIM Visitor. A 5 seconds internet search gives the answer. Google is fantastic...
http://www.tim.com.br/sp/para-voce/planos/pre-pago/tim-visitor

Koolkid
09-30-16, 01:34
These Sims can be bought on level 1 in the drogaria in arrivals by the food court the 2 men serving were very helpful and set up Claro sims for people in front of me.

Tim visitor however can be done very easily yourself by dialling *144 if your porto is not too good.

Paulisto
07-06-17, 01:18
Vivo. Tim - Oi. Nextel - Claro- The main telephone operators in Brazil are these.

But I recommend using Vivo because it has great power and has weekly plans that you can contract through the website or through the mobile phone or application (not in English).

You69Me
08-29-17, 05:15
Some time ago I bought a TIM (locals call it JIM) at a bus station. It would not work without entering a CPF number which tourist just don't have. The hotel where I stayed were very helpful and entered there CPF number for me. I also could not purchase domestic airplane ticked online and had to go to a travel agency. Is this idiocy still the case. Any advise.

Vivo. Tim - Oi. Nextel - Claro- The main telephone operators in Brazil are these.

But I recommend using Vivo because it has great power and has weekly plans that you can contract through the website or through the mobile phone or application (not in English).

Paulisto
07-16-18, 05:57
Some time ago I bought a TIM (locals call it JIM) at a bus station. It would not work without entering a CPF number which tourist just don't have. The hotel where I stayed were very helpful and entered there CPF number for me. I also could not purchase domestic airplane ticked online and had to go to a travel agency. Is this idiocy still the case. Any advise.All the Brazilian operators require to use the CPF (Brazilian document number), you would have to borrow it for someone, but I believe you will not be able to, try to convince the escort to do this favor, but I really do not know if there is a carrier that does not need the CPF.

Sperto
07-20-18, 20:26
All the Brazilian operators require to use the CPF (Brazilian document number), you would have to borrow it for someone, but I believe you will not be able to, try to convince the escort to do this favor, but I really do not know if there is a carrier that does not need the CPF.Wrong. No problem for a tourist to use a pre-pago card without CPF.

Lefeu
07-20-18, 22:29
Wrong. No problem for a tourist to use a pre-pago card without CPF.I was in Sao Paulo about 4 months ago and I did the same. Went to the mall in Moema, walked into a Claro store and I was able to buy a SIM with prepaid service.