PDA

View Full Version : Using cellphones in Colombia

Admin
08-01-08, 17:50
Thread Starter.

Kendan
08-03-08, 15:13
I'm planning a 4-week trip to Colombia over the holidays that will include Cartagena, Medellin, and Bogota. I'm already pretty certain that my U.S. Verizon phone will be useless there. So, some questions:

1. Can I rent (or buy cheaply) a phone that I can use throughout the trip?

2. Is coverage limited to major/medium cities?

3. How much would I expect to pay to use it to call the US?

4. Would it be cheaper/more convenient to buy a phone in the US that would work in Colombia (if so, which one? which plan?)

Thanks all,

KD

MiamiHeatLuver
08-03-08, 16:47
I'm planning a 4-week trip to Colombia over the holidays that will include Cartagena, Medellin, and Bogota. I'm already pretty certain that my U.S. Verizon phone will be useless there. So, some questions:

1. Can I rent (or buy cheaply) a phone that I can use throughout the trip?

2. Is coverage limited to major/medium cities?

3. How much would I expect to pay to use it to call the US?

4. Would it be cheaper/more convenient to buy a phone in the US that would work in Colombia (if so, which one? which plan?)

Thanks all,

KDYour Verizon MIGHT pick up signal in Colombia check international coverage but it is very very expensive probably like $2-$3 a minute.

You can go to any Cell phone company there, there are 3, COMCEL, TIGO and MOVISTAR all three have their pluses and minuses as far as signal strength go. My novia prefers TIGO as for I prefer Comcel. Go with the Comcel, They are the biggest and best in Colombia!

You can buy the cell phone which is the way to go and then you will have your OWN number to hand out to the locals. You can go into any dedicated store or dedicated KIOSK with just your drivers license or passport. I usually go for the NOKIA's which are cheap and I dont care if they get lost or stolen. They always COME with some free minutes but buy some back up minutes as well for people and chicas will be borrowing them from you as fast as you can buy another re-charge. The phones range from 70mil and up. You can get a nice new Nokia with some minutes installed already for 80mil. $45! The larger you recharge the more "free bonus minutes" they give you as well! So recharge larger when possible.

If you choose to call the us from your Colombian cell, though it is possible its quite expensive as well.. Like 2mil a minute and you will burn through your recharge cards. Better use a CAVINA "call center" they are located everywhere!

Tom 33
08-03-08, 20:26
You can buy a cheap cell for 60K or so. Coverage is pretty good where there are people, but the mountains cause problems.

I know of nothing in the US that would work here. For calling the US there are cabinas that provide reasonable rates. Don't use your cell.

Goga Fung
08-04-08, 01:09
You do not have to buy a new phone. You can use a a quad band unblocked phone from USA. I dunno which system is in Colombia, but any international phone will work there of course.

I bought a TIGO SIM card in Bogota. I tried to figure out the difference between TIGO and other providers. From what I understood, the calls/messages between the same company are free or very cheap.

Also you do not need to show you passport. It is only for long-term plans. I paid 12K peso and got a SIM card (1000 peso minutes included which is nothing), then I think I paid about 10K peso for additional minutes.

Panman
08-04-08, 10:55
Like it has been mentioned, Comcel is the biggest and most popular company and will have better signal in most isolated locations. I heard the most complaints for lack of signal from Tigo users. Calls to phones of the same company cost less.

I bought some cheap quadband unlocked phone on ebay and use that on any of my trips overseas. If you use an american phone company to make calls from Colombia, do so only for emergencies, as it is very expensive.

Best way to call internationally from there is to find call centers, every shopping mall has one. Avoid calling conventional house numbers from the cell phone as well.

MiamiHeatLuver
08-04-08, 13:20
You do not have to buy a new phone. You can use a a quad band unblocked phone from USA. I dunno which system is in Colombia, but any international phone will work there of course.

I bought a TIGO SIM card in Bogota. I tried to figure out the difference between TIGO and other providers. From what I understood, the calls/messages between the same company are free or very cheap.

Also you do not need to show you passport. It is only for long-term plans. I paid 12K peso and got a SIM card (1000 peso minutes included which is nothing), then I think I paid about 10K peso for additional minutes.Yes but why would you want to buy an untried quad band phone from the U.S. and pay whatever when you can buy a cheap Nokia that provenly works for $35? When you go into any of the kiosks you need to bring some kind of ID with you, 3 years ago at Comcel they would only accept my passport 2 months ago in Comcel they were happy with my drivers license. Nobody said a passport was mandatory but ask anyway some places are more strict than others.

BeersTerry
08-04-08, 16:03
I thought a passport is mandatory for an official sim card from an official dealer?

You can always get unofficial cards, but they may eventually get closed down. That has happened to me. The official sim does'nt cost any more and if you are a gringo, why would you care if officials can trace your phone?

GSM Nokia phones are the simplest to unlock for use in Colombia. All it takes is to input a code. I think I paid $2 for the code.

Phunluv
08-05-08, 08:57
You can easily buy an unlocked GSM phone on eBay. There are also unlocking services on the web and on eBay where you can get the code to unlock your phone, shouldn't be more than 20-25 USD.

I've used both my Nokia smartphone and Motorola SLVR in Colombia. The SLVR is similar to the V3 RAZR which is popular both here in the states and Colombia. Very slim and easier to carry around than a smartphone. I'd say leave the expensive phones at home or in a safebox; definitely only take the cheaper one when you go out at night. I lost a SLVR once after a very long night in Bogotá which is about $80 including shipping. :(

You don't want to risk losing anything more valuable than that, especially if you have a lot of personal info on your smartphone.

On a technical note:

My Nokia E61 and Motorola SLVR L2 are both "quad-band" which means you can use them pretty much anywhere in the world. But Colombia uses the exact same GSM "frequencies" that the USA does so pretty much any GSM phone that works in the states can work in Colombia as long as its UNLOCKED.

For cellphone newbies, a GSM phone is any phone that uses a SIM card. Carriers like T-Mobile and Cingular are GSM carriers.

If you're a subscriber, at least 6 months for T-Mobile and a year for Cingular, you can call your carrier and request to have your phone unlocked. Make sure they understand you're not unlocking in order to switch service, just that you are traveling soon and may need to use the phone outside the states. That explanation should avoid any resistance from the agent.

Can't speak about Tigo and Movistar but Comcel supposedly has the best network, however, I found it expensive.

That's why many Colombianas will "timbrar" your phone. That is they'll ring you just once and expect you to call back. It seems rates there are quite a bit pricier than in the states. You won't see too many locals blabbing away on their phones down there.

Maybe one of the reasons why it costs more is that in Colombia, ONLY the caller pays. Plus, buying minutes with the cards is more expensive than the monthly billing plans. But you can maximize your minutes by buying the more expensive recharge cards. . . 30K and 50K COP

If you really want to save, use the street vendors whenever you can. I see rates of 250-350 pesos per minute, you will never get anything close to that on Comcel.

To be fair, I would guess setting up a reliable cellular network in cities nestled between the Andes is a bit of a challenge. Comcel is supposed to be the best but it will cost you.

EDITOR'S NOTE: I would suggest that the author or another Forum Member consider posting a link to this report in the Reports of Distinction thread. Please Click Here (http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/announcement-reportsofdistinction.php?) for more information.

Sandman0011
08-05-08, 14:42
You can actually use a tri or quad band unlocked GSM cell phone in Colombia (althought the Tri will usually be an older model); Err on the side of having an inexpensive older Nokia or other brand. The newer, more expensive Razors I Phone Etc. Models are big targets for theft here.

Comcel, Tigo and Movistar are the three main providers. It is less epensive to call Comcel to Comcel, Tigo to Tigo for example than it is to call Comcel to Tigo Etc. ; I have found Comcel to have excellent coverage in MDE. I even receive and place calls in elevators sometimes without any problems. Only signal problems I have ever experienced is outside the city in rural country areas. (The valley where Medellin is located has around 650 cell phone masts according to city authorities and more than 3, 000 microwave sources including cell phone telephony according to the National Ministry of Communications.)

There are many "Walking Cell Phones" where you can make calls and pay by the minute (if you don't want to hassle with your own cell phone). Many small tiends also offer this service

It is more expensive to call a land line from a cell phone (dial 034 first then the landline number);

You can call LD anywhere in Colombia without incurring LD or roaming charges. No city codes are required. So, if you are in CTG and want to call MDE, just dial the cell phone number. No 1+ or anything. Just the 10 digit number. 311-XXX-XXXX;

You can buy SIM chips at stores, malls, on the street etc. Most of the ones you buy on the streets will be unregistered numbers but if you are only here for a short stay, it is no big deal. If you plan to stay longer or visit often, it is best to go to a store and get a registered number. ID and fingerprint required but if you ever have a problem, they can work with it. With an unregistered number, they will just shrug their shoulders. You can also re-charge a registered number at many grocery stores and comcel/tigo/movistar locations without having to do a scratch off. Just pay, they enter your number and voila, you have new minutes.

Prepaid minutes you put into your phone will expire after 90 days. You will loose any unused minutes so buy accordingly. Keep a small denomination card in case you run out of your primary minutes. If you are leaving the in next day or two and still have a lot of minutes left, just hand your phone to your GF. Trust me, she will find a way to use them very quickly.

Loading your sim card and minutes into your phone is relly pretty simple even though all the instructions and confirmations are in Spanish. Here are some pretty simple and easy Comcel instructions to follow and additional information.

http://www.medellintravelguide.com/medellin_cellular.html

Customer Service is available 24 hours per day as well as 911 type of assistance

Kendan
08-06-08, 10:01
This is great information!

KD

Sandman0011
08-06-08, 15:25
This is great information!

KDThe cell instructions in the link clarify a lot more as well.

Gonzo
08-07-08, 05:29
I bought a Nokia phone at the MDE Mansion last year and now a year later, I'm heading back to CO, CTG at least.

Question: Besides any minutes left on my phone being expired, am I going to run into any surprises, like having my sim card also being expired? (this did happen in Peru.)

I just buy some new minutes, charge it up and it's ready to go, right?

Tom 33
08-08-08, 02:49
I bought a Nokia phone at the MDE Mansion last year and now a year later, I'm heading back to CO, CTG at least.

Question: Besides any minutes left on my phone being expired, am I going to run into any surprises, like having my sim card also being expired? (this did happen in Peru.)

I just buy some new minutes, charge it up and it's ready to go, right?My guess is that the sim has expired as well. You may have to take it to your carrier and pay a fee to re-instate the sim. And it will probably be with a new number.

Lammtarra
11-28-08, 12:27
Just FYI (especially for those new to COL)

I paid a TIGO Sim 2K in BAQ (it's less than 1 US$...) at an official shop.

Recharged it 20K (less than 10US$) and I called 4/5 times to Spain plus tons of local cell phones to chicas....and this credit is still not over.

Very cheap cell rates in Colombia,never use yr European or US sim!

Tom 33
11-28-08, 21:47
http://www.comcel.com.co/Secciones/Detalles.aspx?idNoticia=1541&idSeccion=96&menu=96&ult=0

Manizales911
12-04-08, 15:19
Is there a way to call the U. S. From Colombia from either my verizon world phone or my comcel monger phone and have the caller I. D. Show as a U. S. Number? Every time I call the U. S. From either phone the person I call asks me where the f**k I am because they get something in spanish on their caller I. D.

By the way, though VERY expensive to use ($2. 50 a minute)my verizon motorola z6c world edition works fantastic over here, always a strong signal and if I need to receive a call though it is expensive as f**k nobody knows that I am out of the country, if I could just figure out how to make a call with a U. S. Caller I. D. I would be all set.

Goga Fung
12-05-08, 04:42
Is there a way to call the U. S. From Colombia from either my verizon world phone or my comcel monger phone and have the caller I. D. Show as a U. S. Number? Every time I call the U. S. From either phone the person I call asks me where the f**k I am because they get something in spanish on their caller I. D.

By the way, though VERY expensive to use ($2. 50 a minute)my verizon motorola z6c world edition works fantastic over here, always a strong signal and if I need to receive a call though it is expensive as f**k nobody knows that I am out of the country, if I could just figure out how to make a call with a U. S. Caller I. D. I would be all set.I think one of the ways could be is to get an Internet phone line, something like Lingos, Vonage, or a Skype US #. Then if you can connect to a DLS/Cable internet in Colombia, you can make phone calls as you're in the USA, and it's gonna be free or cheap depending on the calling plan. And the phone is gonna ring in your place in Colombia as it is in USA.

The only problem could be - I've heard not every provider allows VOIP, I had this problem in Curacao. But I know that people do this in Colombia without problems.

Bartonsky
12-13-08, 05:56
I am gonna be in MED, BA, Santiago and RIO in Feb. Do I need to buy a SIM card in each country I will be in for my unlocked quadban phone? Or is there a way to buy one SIM card for all?

I plan on buying a cheap MOT V190

Thanks

AddictedToWomen
12-15-08, 05:37
It is more expensive to call a land line from a cell phone (dial 034 first then the landline number); Actually 03, then the city code (1 is Bogota, 4 is Medillin, etc), then the local number.

AddictedToWomen
12-15-08, 05:39
I am gonna be in MED, BA, Santiago and RIO in Feb. Do I need to buy a SIM card in each country I will be in for my unlocked quadban phone? Or is there a way to buy one SIM card for all?

I plan on buying a cheap MOT V190

ThanksRoaming is usually expensive, local suppliers much cheaper. So unless you don't plan to make many calls I'd expect the latter.

Though getting a sim in Colombia without a cedula can sometimes be a pita.

Rodeo9112
04-25-09, 03:47
Question. If you get a Comcel prepaid phone activated, will they de-activate your account if you don't use it after a certain period of time? For instance, you buy a phone and activate it in Bogota in January, but don't make a return trip and don't use it again until August, would it still work without having to go back into a Comcel store? If so, is the same SIM still good or will I have to get a new SIM card each time I need a new activation?

Rodeo

Manizales911
04-25-09, 10:25
Question. If you get a Comcel prepaid phone activated, will they de-activate your account if you don't use it after a certain period of time? For instance, you buy a phone and activate it in Bogota in January, but don't make a return trip and don't use it again until August, would it still work without having to go back into a Comcel store? If so, is the same SIM still good or will I have to get a new SIM card each time I need a new activation?

RodeoRodeo my friend, I have a Comcel prepaid and after 30 days of no activity your phone becomes inactive until you buy more minuto's. You don't lose the minutes that were left over from your previous trip but you will have to buy new ones to reactivate your phone so don't buy any more than you need or they will pile up.No new SIM card needed. Having a local cellular is the best investment you can make and you can get one for about 25 bucks with a bunch of minutes on it.

Have a fun trip dude.

Tom 33
04-25-09, 12:18

RodeoYour minutes will expire in one to three months after purchase depending upon how many you purchase. Your number will be deactivated after a certain time period as well. That time period varies depending upon competition.

I think you can get the phone reactivated for a small fee at a Comcel store.

MiamiHeatLuver
04-25-09, 15:23

RodeoI think you have a year to keep the same number but any minutes will be lost after 30 days.

Gonzo
04-27-09, 01:35
My experience, being an infrequent traveler to CO: after waiting a year to return to CO, I had to buy a new SIM card (and thus get a new number). But with a 6 month gap, I didn't. This was Comcel. I went to the Vivienda supermercado in Bocagrande to get a new account/SIM card.

Rodeo

Manizales911
05-09-09, 16:13
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question but I want to make certain. I have a Comcel "monger" phone I use while in Colombia and I dropped it and it is broken but still works but I want to replace it. If I replace it I will be given a new phone number, correct? Is there any way of keeping my current number?

Dpilzbo
05-09-09, 22:00
If I understand correctly, the phone works but is broken (screen, hinge or something). As long as the SIM card is not broken or damaged which I am guessing it is not since you say the phone "works", you just put the SIM card in your new phone. The phone number is assigned to the SIM card, not the phone itself. Hope that helps.

Dpilzbo

Tom 33
05-09-09, 23:52
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question but I want to make certain. I have a Comcel "monger" phone I use while in Colombia and I dropped it and it is broken but still works but I want to replace it. If I replace it I will be given a new phone number, correct? Is there any way of keeping my current number?Buy any phone in Colombia and just swap the sim card.

You will have the same number.

Kdogg21
05-10-09, 15:58
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question but I want to make certain. I have a Comcel "monger" phone I use while in Colombia and I dropped it and it is broken but still works but I want to replace it. If I replace it I will be given a new phone number, correct? Is there any way of keeping my current number?Just make sure it is an unlocked, quad band, GSM phone and you will be fine. I use different phones most trips and they all work.

DetJunky
06-13-09, 18:27
I found this nice site , that will let you send sms messages when you are in colombia, it is free with registration

http://www.romancelatina.com/sendsmsnow.php

Just make sure it is an unlocked, quad band, GSM phone and you will be fine. I use different phones most trips and they all work.

Muff01
06-15-09, 23:25
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question but I want to make certain. I have a Comcel "monger" phone I use while in Colombia and I dropped it and it is broken but still works but I want to replace it. If I replace it I will be given a new phone number, correct? Is there any way of keeping my current number?You just need any unlock GSM quad band phone and it will work with your current sim card.

Chesscat
06-03-11, 22:19
On my last trip, for the first time I took my computer. With a good internet connection, I called the US using Google voice, and as far as I can tell it was free! And it worked very good. At CB2 they have a phone which makes great calls to the US, I suppose it uses the computer (VOIP?) , and I suppose it's the same technology. But in any event I was pleasantly surprised to find out I could call home for free, using nothing more than google voice, with good quality.

So the remaining issue is receiving calls. Actually, I could receive calls on my computer also, which in a way I do now, again using google voice (I usually just get the voicemail recordings and transcripts, and then call them back). But re the issue of how to receive calls while walking around town, that remains the question. And the answer seems to be a GSM, or if you use Verizon, a dual mode phone, such as the Droid Incredible 2. They inform me that with a $5 a month value plan, which you can get right before you go down, the cost to receive a call is $2. 30 per minute, or for each fraction of a minute, that is, it's always rounded up. That may seem like a lot, but I personally wouldn't be getting that many calls, but neither would I want to miss calls. So a workable plan to me seems to be to receive calls on this dual mode phone, and then return calls via my computer for free. That might work, the goal being of course to be in Colombia but operate business as usual.

Asianpussylover
03-09-12, 21:47
Ok so you have an unlocked gsm triband or quad band phone with you and you want to call your babes or call home to the USA or anywhere else in the world. Here is what you need to know. To dial a mobile number while in Colombia just dial the number directly. Colombian cellphone numbers start with the number 3. Save yourself money and just swap out your sim card annd put in the one for the carrier that you are dialing to. Otherwise your minutes will go very fast!

Numbers from 300 to 301 are TIGO phones.

310 to 314 are COMCELL.

316 to 317 belong to MOVISTAR.

To dial a landline from your mobile dial 03 then the city code: for example calls to landlines in Bogota would be 031 then the number; to Medellin 034 then the number; Santa marta 035 then the number, you get the idea.

If you have COMCELL and want to call the USA directly dial 00441 then the phone number. From COMCELL to anywhere else in the world dial 00444 then the country code and the number.

If you have TIGO and want to dial to the US directly dial 004141 then the phone number. It's cheaper to make an international call.

From a COMCELL office, though not as convienent if you don't speak Spanish.

I haven't played around with MOVISTAR so I don't have that information. Maybe someone will be kind enough to post it. I hope this bit helps. It took me a long time to track this down.

SlamCity7777
05-29-12, 15:19
Hey guys,

I need some help. If I have an old blackberry (USA) can I bring it to Colombia, have it "jailbroken" or "liberated" so that it will work down there? Is this possible? Any idea where to do such things?

Please advise via PM or here if you like.

Thanks guys

MiamiHeatLuver
05-29-12, 21:08
Hey guys,

I need some help. If I have an old blackberry (USA) can I bring it to Colombia, have it "jailbroken" or "liberated" so that it will work down there? Is this possible? Any idea where to do such things?

Please advise via PM or here if you like.

Thanks guysIt is better just to buy a cheap unlocked blackberry from ebay and bring it down. I bought a new locked tmobile blackberry down once and the guy in sanandresito Cali (electronics area) said it could not be unlocked, looking in the back it didn't even have a slot for a sim card. I fucked up.

With my unlocked bb, I just popped in my Colombian sim and it was ready to go!

SlamCity7777
05-31-12, 01:36
It is better just to buy a cheap unlocked blackberry from ebay and bring it down. I bought a new locked tmobile blackberry down once and the guy in sanandresito Cali (electronics area) said it could not be unlocked, looking in the back it didn't even have a slot for a sim card. I fucked up.

With my unlocked bb, I just popped in my Colombian sim and it was ready to go!No that's the thing; I have an old BB and want to give it to my novia to use. She has this hunk of junk that is just sad. Shoot the thing and put it out of it's misery type.

Joey Smith
06-10-12, 03:24
Guys. Need your assistance. Bringing my blackberry to Colombia this week. Already have a comcel sim ready to be loaded. Sprint verified it didn't have to be unlocked. So all I need is to load the sim card and buy minutes? Right?

Ricker
06-19-12, 14:30
Guys. Need your assistance. Bringing my blackberry to Colombia this week. Already have a comcel sim ready to be loaded. Sprint verified it didn't have to be unlocked. So all I need is to load the sim card and buy minutes? Right?I didn't even know that Sprint had Sim card slots in their phones. Maybe something new for them.

If there is a Sim card slot and it is an unlocked phone, then yes, it will work with your Comcel sim.

Orgasm Donor
09-15-12, 17:34
I cut this from the general info thread, because it should be here.

Quote Originally Posted by Legal Tender [View Original Post]

I've got an extra IPhone 3G through ATT. Can this be used in Medellin with a new sim card with Comcel or another local provider. Any recommendation when I can get the phone modified to use there?

Thanks.

I assume since this is an IPhone 3G you have fulfilled your contract with ATT. If this is the case, go here, read the conditions, check the box, fill out the details, and ATT will send you the unlock code in about a week. This is the "legit" way to do it.

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Another option is to look on craigslist for unlocking or jailbreaking service. Under "electronics".

Personally, I turn off all data on my IPhone when I arrive in Colombia. If you use data or location services on your ATT there, your bill will be uh. Breathtaking when you return home. I leave my IPhone in the hotel safe, use the hotel wi-fi to use skype to return calls back to the USA.

I don't want my IPhone to be bait for ladrones, so I buy a cheap basic phone in Colombia, to call my Colombia contacts. I keep too much valuable info on my phone, and don't want to call any unwanted attention to myself.

Hope this helps! Cheers!

Vitrea
09-15-12, 20:53
Guys. Need your assistance. Bringing my blackberry to Colombia this week. Already have a comcel sim ready to be loaded. Sprint verified it didn't have to be unlocked. So all I need is to load the sim card and buy minutes? Right?Sprint phones may be CDMA. You need a quad band or GSM phone to work in Colombia. Easy to do a google check which phone you have.

Jack4765
09-16-12, 00:27
Any one know if these free phones that are being given out in the US (safe link, assurance etc.) can be unlocked and used in Colombia?

There can't be anything fancy about there operating systems as they do nothing but text and call.

Bbrocs
09-16-12, 15:26
Sprint phones may be CDMA. You need a quad band or GSM phone to work in Colombia. Easy to do a google check which phone you have.Hey, I have some experience now with this so I will take a crack at it. I don't care what sprint says, it may or may not work. When you arrive hit the Comcel office first floor of Santa Fe mall. Because in order to really enjoy the black berry, they offer a Prepago chip just for blackberries. Under that you have three prepago options:

1) 18, 000 pesos for 2 weeks of just emails. Thats what I got, I use a iphone in wifi mode as a browser.

The code for this plan is to text 528 then in text line C15. Turn on and off your phone (pull battery) Big Edge will appear and you can then set up your emails. If you have set your emails in another country you will have to reset them up again.

2) not sure peso amount but around 30, 000 for 2 weeks that includes browser.

3) not sure peso amount but around 36, 000 for 2 weeks that includes apps like face book.

If comcel says everything is fine just stick your chip in pay for both phone minutes and data (datos) I usually stick 35, 000 pesos on then transfer the 18, 0000 over using the text to 528 and C15.

The other huge benefit is the blackberry Messenger, its free included in the 18,000. This gives you free text messaging back and forth. Lots of girls here use this here. It's free, we like free.

If comcel says theres a problem with either the chip you have or your phone is not truely unlocked for Colombia. You can A) by a new datos chip for blackberry there and B) go to third floor where a store unlocks phones. It's cheaper in central to do this but your already there in the mall and the savings would not equaul a cab. Hope this Helps.

Legal Tender
09-22-12, 01:59
I cut this from the general info thread, because it should be here.

Quote Originally Posted by Legal Tender [View Original Post]

I've got an extra IPhone 3G through ATT. Can this be used in Medellin with a new sim card with Comcel or another local provider. Any recommendation when I can get the phone modified to use there?

Thanks.

I assume since this is an IPhone 3G you have fulfilled your contract with ATT. If this is the case, go here, read the conditions, check the box, fill out the details, and ATT will send you the unlock code in about a week. This is the "legit" way to do it.

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Another option is to look on craigslist for unlocking or jailbreaking service. Under "electronics".

Personally, I turn off all data on my IPhone when I arrive in Colombia. If you use data or location services on your ATT there, your bill will be uh. Breathtaking when you return home. I leave my IPhone in the hotel safe, use the hotel wi-fi to use skype to return calls back to the USA.

I don't want my IPhone to be bait for ladrones, so I buy a cheap basic phone in Colombia, to call my Colombia contacts. I keep too much valuable info on my phone, and don't want to call any unwanted attention to myself.

Hope this helps! Cheers!Did it the "legit" way. Smooth as silk. Interestingly, AT&T either had access to my ITunes data, or contacted Apple. I sent in the request for unlock, and received an e-mail instructing me to call customer service, which I did. The representative told me that I qualified for an unlock, and to sync with my ITunes account, and when the phone was restored, it would be unlocked. Simple.

Thanks for the info, guys. It made it easy.

Orgasm Donor
09-22-12, 17:46
Thank you for the follow up LT. I unlocked mine yesterday. I was a little nervous about erasing ALL the contents from my iPhone, thinking "is this really necessary?" (yes it is).

Making double-sure I had backed everything up, I went ahead and pulled the trigger. It took about 30min (YMMV) of grinding away by itself to do a restore, but seems to have turned out ok. (nothing was lost after restore, maybe only wifi network passwords)

I haven't tried a new sim yet, so let us know how it goes in Colombia.

Especially if you happen to use data as well. I wonder if you can get bluetooth tethering with COMCEL?

Just in case you run into some problems, reference these pages.

Swapping the SIM card. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2309

Understanding the SIM PIN. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1316

Glad to help.

Cheers!

SlamCity7777
10-17-12, 13:56
What's all this chatter I hear about having to register your prepago cell phone (buying credits at exito for example vs a billed plan) or they will shut off your phone?

Bbrocs
10-18-12, 11:39
What's all this chatter I hear about having to register your prepago cell phone (buying credits at exito for example vs a billed plan) or they will shut off your phone?Siam I got a text from claro on my blackberry that said I needed to go to a claro office with either my drivers license or my passport to register my phone. I asked why and my buddies told me its been on the news. In Bogota there's been almost a incident a day over cell phone robberies. People been getting killed over there cell phones. To kind of slow this down you need to register your phone to your ID. It took all of three minutes. They threaten to turn your service off if you don't. From what I understood it was just for smart phones. I use a prepago plan for data there. I took care of it at comcel office in Santa Fe mall.

Orgasm Donor
10-20-12, 21:16
One more compelling reason to leave your smartphone in the hotel safe and carry a cheap basic phone with you on the street.

I use an unlocked Motorola RAZR V3. Its quad-band so no problem finding a signal, and the antenna is excellent. Good battery life too.

If I know I am going to snap some pics with my iPhone and take it out on the street, I keep a leash on it that plugs securely into the charge slot (found on Amazon) , and slip it over my wrist when snapping pics.

BTW, I havent been back to Colombia yet, but stopped at a T-mobile and they let me try their SIM in my phone. Successfully unlocked. Too bad they have bad coverage near my home, or else I would switch.

SlamCity7777
12-08-12, 16:43
Siam I got a text from claro on my blackberry that said I needed to go to a claro office with either my drivers license or my passport to register my phone. I asked why and my buddies told me its been on the news. In Bogota there's been almost a incident a day over cell phone robberies. People been getting killed over there cell phones. To kind of slow this down you need to register your phone to your ID. It took all of three minutes. They threaten to turn your service off if you don't. From what I understood it was just for smart phones. I use a prepago plan for data there. I took care of it at comcel office in Santa Fe mall.Yeah I had to have my Girl put my prepago plan in her name or they were going to shut it off.

OTRA QUESTION:

I have an old blackberry that I want to give to my girlfriend. How would we go about getting it to work down in Colombia? Is it a hard ware or soft ware fix? Both? I'm assuming the wife feature is the same and she can down load apps, and chat via that. Any help would be cool.

Thanks amigos!

Bbrocs
12-09-12, 04:06
OTRA QUESTION:

I have an old blackberry that I want to give to my girlfriend. How would we go about getting it to work down in Colombia? Is it a hard ware or soft ware fix? Both? I'm assuming the wife feature is the same and she can down load apps, and chat via that. Any help would be cool.

Thanks amigos![/QUOTE]Here's the deal not all blackberry models will work in Colombia. Especially the older models with the wheel on the left or right side. Then even if it says you bought a unlocked phone it might still need to be unlocked further in Colombia. In Santa Fe mall you can kill two birds one stone. First take the phone to comcel office and they will tell you right away what you need to do. If it needs to be unlocked further on the third floor right by escalator is a store that does it. Mind you it's about 10. 000 pesos more then the places in Monterrey and 15. 000 more then centre but the easy factor is great. If you have to you can run it upstairs they will tell you how long usually under a hour to unlock. Then take it back to comcel or your favorite carrier for the chip for your girl. The one I bought said unlocked it cost me 40. 000 to further unlock it. Hope this helps.

Artisttyp
12-09-12, 07:02
I recently unlocked my ATT BB by purchasing an unlock code from someone on a blackberry forum (I forget which one). Google " How do I unlock a BB online?" and it will lead you to forums. I sent $9 through paypal with my IMEI # model number and carrier. The next morning I received an email with directions and an unlock code. It worked great. Now I have an unlocked GSM torch in excellent condition.

www.blackberryforums.com I still have the receipt.

John Gault
12-12-12, 05:28
I recently unlocked my ATT BB by purchasing an unlock code from someone on a blackberry forum (I forget which one). Google " How do I unlock a BB online?" and it will lead you to forums. I sent $9 through paypal with my IMEI # model number and carrier. The next morning I received an email with directions and an unlock code. It worked great. Now I have an unlocked GSM torch in excellent condition.

www.blackberryforums.com

I still have the receipt.Congrats on your 2, 000th post. For anyone who is paying attention your posts give good intel or ask valid questions. Keep up the good work.

Vitrea
12-12-12, 07:41
I bought a $59 Pantech quadband GSM phone at the Miami airport and put a Colombia SIM card in it. It worked like a charm. I put 60K worth of time on it. I used it extensively for phone calls and texts. My last night in MDE, I gifted the phone and the 30K left on it for my amiga who I met 7 nights ago and she was going to pass it on to her sister. The phone has a camera, full QUERTY key and was great for texting.

SlamCity7777
12-30-12, 14:50
OTRA QUESTION:

Thanks amigos!Here's the deal not all blackberry models will work in Colombia. Especially the older models with the wheel on the left or right side. Then even if it says you bought a unlocked phone it might still need to be unlocked further in Colombia. In Santa Fe mall you can kill two birds one stone. First take the phone to comcel office and they will tell you right away what you need to do. If it needs to be unlocked further on the third floor right by escalator is a store that does it. Mind you it's about 10. 000 pesos more then the places in Monterrey and 15. 000 more then centre but the easy factor is great. If you have to you can run it upstairs they will tell you how long usually under a hour to unlock. Then take it back to comcel or your favorite carrier for the chip for your girl. The one I bought said unlocked it cost me 40. 000 to further unlock it. Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]Thanks for the help Bbrocs and the rest what have posted comments. I though about going the "Internet Code" problem but then how would my gf put her sim card in and stuff like that. I'm not a fancy cell phone kind of guy so this is all new to me. Would the pop the phone open and put the chip in side?

I'll head to Santa Fe next time I'm in town, It is not a very old black berry, about a year or two. My company upgraded and I kept the old one. When you say "comcel office" you mean claro now correct? We can take the phone to them to see if it will work? Third Floor by the escalator; what does the store look like? Name of store? Is it called we jail break phones? LOL! But seriously if you could remember a few more details that would be great as I remember there being like 10x escalators in CC Santa Fe.

Thanks again everybody!

Mr Enternational
01-10-13, 09:12
Is there any way to get internet on a prepaid phone? I have Movistar.

For instance in the Dominican Republic with Claro I can dial a few codes and a little over $1 is subtracted from my balance for unlimited internet for 24 hours.

Mr Enternational
01-10-13, 09:17
Is there any way to get internet on a prepaid phone? I have Movistar.

For instance in the Dominican Republic with Claro I can dial a few codes and a little over $1 is subtracted from my balance for unlimited internet for 24 hours.I found the answer to my question on this page:

http://www.movistar.co/Internet/Internet_para_tu_celular/Planes/Internet_prepago/Internet_para_blackberry/

Hillbilly69
01-25-13, 19:49
Users will not be able to alter their cellphones to access different networks starting Saturday. But advocacy groups are questioning the law.

Starting Jan. 26, buying and unlocking a phone will no longer be legal in the United States.

The term "unlocking" a phone means to remove the security feature that prevents the phone being used on a different network. Once a phone is unlocked, it can work on more than one carrier's network. Unlocking phones is useful for those traveling internationally because it allows phones to work on different networks.

The Librarian of Congress, who determines any exemptions to a strict anti-hacking law called the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) , decided in October 2012 that unlocking cellphones would no longer be allowed. A 90-day window was provided during which people could still buy phones and unlock them.

Currently Apple sells an unlocked iPhone 5 starting at $649 and Google sells Nexus 4 unlocked for $300.

Mashable reports that the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is questioning DMCA's right to determine who can unlock a phone.

EFF attorney Mitch Stoltz said in a letter to TechNewsDaily. Com: "Arguably, locking phone users into one carrier is not at all what the DMCA was meant to do. It's up to the courts to decide."

SavePros321
01-25-13, 21:29
Users will not be able to alter their cellphones to access different networks starting Saturday. But advocacy groups are questioning the law.

Starting Jan. 26, buying and unlocking a phone will no longer be legal in the United States.

The term "unlocking" a phone means to remove the security feature that prevents the phone being used on a different network. Once a phone is unlocked, it can work on more than one carrier's network. Unlocking phones is useful for those traveling internationally because it allows phones to work on different networks.

The Librarian of Congress, who determines any exemptions to a strict anti-hacking law called the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) , decided in October 2012 that unlocking cellphones would no longer be allowed. A 90-day window was provided during which people could still buy phones and unlock them.

Currently Apple sells an unlocked iPhone 5 starting at $649 and Google sells Nexus 4 unlocked for $300.

Mashable reports that the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is questioning DMCA's right to determine who can unlock a phone.

EFF attorney Mitch Stoltz said in a letter to TechNewsDaily. Com: "Arguably, locking phone users into one carrier is not at all what the DMCA was meant to do. It's up to the courts to decide."Hmm. I'm glad I unlocked my old iPhone 3GS the day Mr. E posted the link to the instructions on how to do it for AT&T. What's the big deal anyway? Why do give a flip about what we do with a phone we paid our own money for?

This doesn't at all effect being able to buy an already unlocked phone, correct?

Artisttyp
01-25-13, 21:39
Hmm. I'm glad I unlocked my old iPhone 3GS the day Mr. E posted the link to the instructions on how to do it for AT&T. What's the big deal anyway? Why do give a flip about what we do with a phone we paid our own money for?

This doesn't at all effect being able to buy an already unlocked phone, correct?Sonim technologies makes and sells unlocked cell phones. They are pricey but durable. I own one. You can still buy unlocked cell phones (some are refurbished) on Ebay for a decent price.

I recently unlocked my BB on the AT&T network. Somewhere back I posted a link to the forum that linked me to the website. There are several online forums with members that will assist you. I paid $9 through paypal to have an unlock code sent to me via email.

Do a google search and search the forums.

America will be on lock down status until the government has enough money. Which will be for at least another 4 years. Until then the average citizen will foot the bills.

Superboy1
01-25-13, 23:33
Does anyone know anywhere in Medellin that sells Moviestar micro-sim cards?

Got a new phone but only takes microsim cards.

Arjay
01-25-13, 23:36
Does anyone know anywhere in Medellin that sells Moviestar micro-sim cards?

Got a new phone but only takes microsim cards.Claro cuts them in their offices. I'm sure Movie Star does the same.

BillyBee
02-09-13, 01:17
Internet what is like in Colombia in general any good? In particular Medellin or Baranquilla? I am thinking of going down there and bringing my Ipad which has Microsim slot. Who has reliable internet (data) plans? Any reviews or personal experiences very welcome.

Hioctane
02-10-13, 22:28
Claro cuts them in their offices. I'm sure Movie Star does the same.Be on the safe side and buy a cutter on ebay for $5 and bring it with you.

Hioctane
02-10-13, 22:29
Internet what is like in Colombia in general any good? In particular Medellin or Baranquilla? I am thinking of going down there and bringing my Ipad which has Microsim slot. Who has reliable internet (data) plans? Any reviews or personal experiences very welcome.Internet is quick and reliable in Colombia.

SlamCity7777
02-15-13, 16:39
Third Floor Centro Comercial Santa Fey near food court. The store is a grey color with cell phones and cases in all the windows. $10k COP-$30K COP to unlock a blackberry, Iphone, ect. By unlock I mean you can use it in Colombia. Not sure if it'll work in the US. I'm talking about having a separate phone for most of South America.

Miami Bob
04-08-13, 05:49
Gentlemen: this tight senior traveler is ready to change travel phones. I have 3 motorola v197's quad band phones that I have used for international travel all over the place without any problems.

As we have adopted to advances in cellular technology, I am ready to buy an unlocked smart travel phone. There is a better way of organizing mogering intel that.

Folded note cards: snap some photos chose an avatar for gmail and store phone numbers and notes all in the same place it is also nice to have google maps at one's finger tips.

I am narrowing my choices on a new phone and would seek edvice from the crew. I am married to android.so apple may be great, but will not be for me. The iphone 3s or 4 are very well priced and quad band on everything-I believe.

Androids: 1. Used unlocked google nexus s gsm are quad bad on gsm voice 2g data and 3g data. The nexus gsm's are sold unlocked and avialable on ebay fromreliable sellers for us$200 to 250. I owned a verizon version and know the phone well. All the unlocked gsm can be upgraded to jelly bean 4. 2.2 by google directly.

2. Samsung galaxy III mini gsm comes unlocked $270 or so new unlocked. Not designed for sale in USA quad baad everything.

Help or suggestions are appreciated. I am laying real money and want a phone to use all around the world.

Kodyhead
04-10-13, 07:11
Gentlemen: this tight senior traveler is ready to change travel phones. I have 3 motorola v197's quad band phones that I have used for international travel all over the place without any problems.

As we have adopted to advances in cellular technology, I am ready to buy an unlocked smart travel phone. There is a better way of organizing mogering intel that.

Folded note cards: snap some photos chose an avatar for gmail and store phone numbers and notes all in the same place it is also nice to have google maps at one's finger tips.

I am narrowing my choices on a new phone and would seek edvice from the crew. I am married to android. So apple may be great, but will not be for me. The iphone 3s or 4 are very well priced and quad band on everything-I believe.

Androids: 1. Used unlocked google nexus s gsm are quad bad on gsm voice 2g data and 3g data. The nexus gsm's are sold unlocked and avialable on ebay fromreliable sellers for us$200 to 250. I owned a verizon version and know the phone well. All the unlocked gsm can be upgraded to jelly bean 4. 2.2 by google directly.

2. Samsung galaxy III mini gsm comes unlocked $270 or so new unlocked. Not designed for sale in USA quad baad everything.

Help or suggestions are appreciated. I am laying real money and want a phone to use all around the world.You may want to look at the HTC One X unlocked used, you may find it in your price range on ebay. IMO the camera is superior to the other phones you are looking for and serves your needs. You may need to buy a sim card cutter since it is a 4g phone, but you can pick one up on amazon for like $10.

Gimmedub
04-10-13, 15:38
Splurge a bit and get a new nexus 4. $300 plus taxes / shipping. Buy two and sell one in Colombia.

http://www.google.com/nexus/4/

I am narrowing my choices on a new phone and would seek edvice from the crew. I am married to android. So apple may be great, but will not be for me. The iphone 3s or 4 are very well priced and quad band on everything-I believe.

Help or suggestions are appreciated. I am laying real money and want a phone to use all around the world.

SlamCity7777
07-25-13, 14:06
Guys. I still have a black berry. Feel free to laugh at me. Get it out of you systems! Hahhaha!

You should see the Cel I use in Colombia! It's the kind that drug dealers in the US use to throw away when the heat is on! LOL!

But if I were to upgrade for both US and OR Colombia, what mods / hacks / unlocked / ect would I need to have a phone work in Colombia too? Could I just use my pre existing sim card (Movistar) in this new phone? You know what I mean?

Please to help! Thanks!

Bbrocs
07-25-13, 16:30
Guys. I still have a black berry. Feel free to laugh at me. Get it out of you systems! Hahhaha!

You should see the Cel I use in Colombia! It's the kind that drug dealers in the US use to throw away when the heat is on! LOL!

But if I were to upgrade for both US and OR Colombia, what mods / hacks / unlocked / ect would I need to have a phone work in Colombia too? Could I just use my pre existing sim card (Movistar) in this new phone? You know what I mean?

Please to help! Thanks!I use a blackberry as well.

If you want to buy a unlocked blackberry on eBay just put your cheapie phones sim in it. But it will only make calls and text.

To pickup blackberry messenger and email you need a prepago data plan blackberry SIM card.

You then use a code for claro to activate this. It's for 15 days. But your old chip would work and you just can keep on using it for calls and messaging.

SlamCity7777
07-25-13, 20:27
I use a blackberry as well.

If you want to buy a unlocked blackberry on eBay just put your cheapie phones sim in it. But it will only make calls and text.

To pickup blackberry messenger and email you need a prepago data plan blackberry SIM card.

You then use a code for claro to activate this. It's for 15 days. But your old chip would work and you just can keep on using it for calls and messaging.Thanks bro but I was talking about getting a newer phone (Droid or IPhone) and was wondering what requirements were needed? System? Unlocked? Ect. Like if it's unlocked I could put in my existing Colombian Sim card for Movistar and use it when I'm down there.

You guys know what I mean?

Kukulkan
07-26-13, 01:32
Thanks bro but I was talking about getting a newer phone (Droid or IPhone) and was wondering what requirements were needed? System? Unlocked? Ect. Like if it's unlocked I could put in my existing Colombian Sim card for Movistar and use it when I'm down there.

You guys know what I mean?The Iphone 5, will only work whit TIGO, Exito and virgin Colombia, If you buy your Iphone 5 in USA.

My two centavos Colombianos.

Just hi From Cancun.

Kukulkan

[Deleted by Admin]

EDITOR'S NOTE: This report was deleted or partially redacted to remove sections of the report that were obviously written by bypassing the Forum's Text Cleanup Script.

The Forum's Text Cleanup Script automatically fixes a number of common writing errors like improper capitalization, missing punctuation, common misspellings, sentence and paragraph spacing, etc.

Here's the bottom line: If you're going to bipass the Forum's Text Cleanup Script, then your writing had better be letter perfect or I'm going to delete it. That means use correct punctuation, spell words in their entirety, capitalize the 1st letter of all proper nouns, capitalize the proper noun "I", double space between paragraphs, do not use repetitive punctuation, etc., etc., etc., and most important of all: Do not write like you're texting on a fucking cellphone.

Please read the Forum FAQ and the Forum's Posting Guidelines for more information. Thank You!

Bbrocs
07-26-13, 01:43
Thanks bro but I was talking about getting a newer phone (Droid or IPhone) and was wondering what requirements were needed? System? Unlocked? Ect. Like if it's unlocked I could put in my existing Colombian Sim card for Movistar and use it when I'm down there.

You guys know what I mean?That's same, your going to have to register your droid or iPhone with your passport. Your going to buy a pre-paid chip specifically for your type of phone. Your going to either use a code to get data. With claro that's the way. My buddy has umff which is a Tigo platform. I'm sure I spelled it wrong. He says he likes it. I don't know anyone with pre-paid moviestar. Funny not all unlocked phones work in Colombia. Some quad band still needed to be unlocked. I seen issues with Samsung galaxy. IPhone seems easy enough. There is a place that close to calle 8 and avenida poblado that's a brown building that cuts down the SIM card to make it fit inside the iPhone. It's on the park poblado side and its all just phone stuff. Hope that helps more

Miami Bob
08-03-13, 09:03
1. safety of using modern fancy cell in medellin-on the street in poblado vs mayorista or down town. do people get assaulted for their phone?

2. will the phone be a target everywhere it is seen. i have used it elsewhere and it works very well. the system is fast and maps load well if i can get 1mg to 2 mg speed.

3. for colombia and medellin especially:

a. which carrier has most consistent decent data 3g service? can i count on about 1mg most of the time?

b. for service for one week with data, voice locally and texting locally best carrier that is easy to get to a company store by foot from the mansion?

4. am i really better off bring my older dumb phones that work well for voice and text that one one would ever be interested in stealing-moto v197.

i really love google maps while traveling and getting to know a city or a barrio. meeting new girls i like a photo with the phone number and a space for notes.

i love google tranlationeven though i can more than basic communication in spanish. i love skype to communicate with folks in the usa and over seas and it works very well on the nexus 4.

i have used hideman to mask the colombian ip address so the phone appears to be in the usa to access pandora and the usa version of netflix and watching the news. the nexus 4 brings me pleasure, but i prefer to avoid stress, crime and worries.

if any folks in medellin need a phone or accessories, send me a pm and we can discuss it.

SlamCity7777
08-17-13, 17:15
I am thinking about both getting my girlfriend (Paisa) a cell phone for Christmas and would like an upgrade over the burner that I got chipped in Peru so that I use it in Colombia / South America. I've done some window shopping in Colombia and I am not down to pay the inflated prices due to Colombian Taxes.

My question is what terms to I need to google or ebay to find a "unlocked" or "Duel Band" or "420 hertz" cell phone that takes a Colombian Sim card or that works on the South American Cell Phone System? What are some other important factors I should keep an eye out for? Any advice would be much appreciated and I'm sure very helpful to the next guy down the line.

My girl has Comcel / Claro so a phone that she can just plug in her sim card, buy some internet credits, and be happy with a nice phone. I'm pretty much looking for the same or maybe just the text and make calls, basic internet. I like being a bit disconnected from the office when I'm on vacation! LOL!

I don't need the best of the best. Just new, fun, modern, some apps, games, internet, like a second tier smart phone. Nothing too flashy. So yeah I'd be cool with some phone recommendations as well as the technical stuff.

Sorry I'm not a tech or need the newest & coolest cell phone guy. Excuse my cave man level of cell phone knowledge.

Special thanks to Bbrocs for the tips on cell phones but I just need some specifics and clarifications; that's why I made this post.

Ricker
08-17-13, 17:49
I am thinking about both getting my girlfriend (Paisa) a cell phone for Christmas and would like an upgrade over the burner that I got chipped in Peru so that I use it in Colombia / South America. I've done some window shopping in Colombia and I am not down to pay the inflated prices due to Colombian Taxes.

My question is what terms to I need to google or ebay to find a "unlocked" or "Duel Band" or "420 hertz" cell phone that takes a Colombian Sim card or that works on the South American Cell Phone System? What are some other important factors I should keep an eye out for? Any advice would be much appreciated and I'm sure very helpful to the next guy down the line.

My girl has Comcel / Claro so a phone that she can just plug in her sim card, buy some internet credits, and be happy with a nice phone. I'm pretty much looking for the same or maybe just the text and make calls, basic internet. I like being a bit disconnected from the office when I'm on vacation! LOL!

I don't need the best of the best. Just new, fun, modern, some apps, games, internet, like a second tier smart phone. Nothing too flashy. So yeah I'd be cool with some phone recommendations as well as the technical stuff.

Sorry I'm not a tech or need the newest & coolest cell phone guy. Excuse my cave man level of cell phone knowledge.

Special thanks to Bbrocs for the tips on cell phones but I just need some specifics and clarifications; that's why I made this post.I just gave a girlfriend in Brazil an 'unlocked, quad band', used, but excellent condition Samsung Galaxy 3 for about $200 US.

She just loves it!

I got it on Ebay.

Searched for 'used or refurbed, unlocked Samsung Galaxy 3'

They are quad band phones, which makes them good for world wide use.

Personally, I'd get a used or refurbed IPhone 4 or Galaxy 3, look for excellent condition and unlocked.

SlamCity7777
08-18-13, 13:37
I just gave a girlfriend in Brazil an 'unlocked, quad band', used, but excellent condition Samsung Galaxy 3 for about $200 US.

She just loves it!

I got it on Ebay.

Searched for 'used or refurbed, unlocked Samsung Galaxy 3'

They are quad band phones, which makes them good for world wide use.

Personally, I'd get a used or refurbed IPhone 4 or Galaxy 3, look for excellent condition and unlocked.Ok so Quad Band Phones. USA phones are not quad bands or is it quad bands work on any systems. Do I have to specify or ask the seller if there is a sim card port on the phone? How do I know it will work in Colombia? Because it's listed as "unlocked, quad band," it should work?

I'm being overly cautions because I was told that my old blackberry could be "unlocked, ect" and when I took it to the place in Colombia they said it couldn't be used for their system even after all the digging I did on various BB message boards. Clearrly if I get a phone on ebay it would be well in advance of my trip and by the time I got back any return would be impossible and taht would give me a $200 (or less is cool too! LOL) paper weight.

Thank for the help and cleary I am still shaky on this so. Thanks for the more help guys! Hahahah!

Ricardo Torres
08-18-13, 22:00
And make sure they have a have a space for a sim card, as I know of two carriers who sell the iphone but the iphone does use sim cards. I would stick to unlocked quad band phones from carriers Verizon, Sprint, and AT&T.

Ricker
08-19-13, 04:53
And make sure they have a have a space for a sim card, as I know of two carriers who sell the iphone but the iphone does use sim cards. I would stick to unlocked quad band phones from carriers Verizon, Sprint, and AT&T.Sprint phones generally do not use sim cards, avoid

Ricardo Torres
08-19-13, 07:40
Sprint phones generally do not use sim cards, avoidThere you have it SlamCity, buy a quad band unlocked phone from Verizon or AT&T and you will be fine. Ignore phones from all the other carriers.

Samu Ray
08-19-13, 16:59
I have a Motorola, older version; quad band, unlocked! Takes a sim card. Works well! It sure it has taken lots of abuse but keeps on working!

SlamCity7777
08-22-13, 02:41
Thanks guys! I'll be buying some time next month and I'll keep ya'll posted.

Gimmedub
08-27-13, 02:59
1. safety of using modern fancy cell in medellin-on the street in poblado vs mayorista or down town. do people get assaulted for their phone?

yes. flash bling and you will get jacked. end of story.

2. will the phone be a target everywhere it is seen. i have used it elsewhere and it works very well. the system is fast and maps load well if i can get 1mg to 2 mg speed.

yes. but poblado and mayorista proper will be safe with all the police around.

3. for colombia and medellin especially:

a. which carrier has most consistent decent data 3g service? can i count on about 1mg most of the time?

tigo. 35mil for 1 gig data.

b. for service for one week with data, voice locally and texting locally best carrier that is easy to get to a company store by foot from the mansion?

tigo. pickup in airport if you arrive at a decent hour.

4. am i really better off bring my older dumb phones that work well for voice and text that one one would ever be interested in stealing-moto v197.

no. chics love instagram and facebook.

i really love google maps while traveling and getting to know a city or a barrio. meeting new girls i like a photo with the phone number and a space for notes.

i love google tranlationeven though i can more than basic communication in spanish. i love skype to communicate with folks in the usa and over seas and it works very well on the nexus 4.

i have used hideman to mask the colombian ip address so the phone appears to be in the usa to access pandora and the usa version of netflix and watching the news. the nexus 4 brings me pleasure, but i prefer to avoid stress, crime and worries.

if any folks in medellin need a phone or accessories, send me a pm and we can discuss it.

Gimmedub
08-29-13, 00:43
How could you not.

http://techland.time.com/2013/08/28/nexus-4-gets-100-cheaper-as-low-cost-iphone-looms/

SlamCity7777
08-31-13, 03:51
How could you not.

http://techland.time.com/2013/08/28/nexus-4-gets-100-cheaper-as-low-cost-iphone-looms/$200. Hmmm not sure if I'd want to carry such a fancy phone in Colombia.

I do have one last question. Once I get a quad band GMS or what ever phone it should work once I slip in my Movistar sim card into it correct? Once there just buy credits for calls and credits for internet and I'm off and running? Using Wi Fi for the internet vs their system correct?

Well I guess that's more like 3 questions. Thanks ya'll!

Ricker
08-31-13, 21:57
$200. Hmmm not sure if I'd want to carry such a fancy phone in Colombia.

I do have one last question. Once I get a quad band GMS or what ever phone it should work once I slip in my Movistar sim card into it correct? Once there just buy credits for calls and credits for internet and I'm off and running? Using Wi Fi for the internet vs their system correct?

Well I guess that's more like 3 questions. Thanks ya'll!Yes, and make sure it's already unlocked too.

Mongerman69
09-14-13, 17:42
I love google tranlationeven though I can more than basic communication in Spanish. I love skype to communicate with folks in the USA and over seas and it works very well on the nexus 4.

I'm also looking at the, nexus 4. After speaking with the carrier, they suggested that because it was unlocked, I could use it anywhere. When I asked if it was Quad band, I received a confusing explanation. Does it have to be quad band, in order for it to be used through, South America, or the Caribbean?

Gimmedub
09-14-13, 21:02
Quad band just means it works in Europe, North and Asia. I use my Nexus 4 in Colombia and Caribbean whenever I travel.

I love google tranlationeven though I can more than basic communication in Spanish. I love skype to communicate with folks in the USA and over seas and it works very well on the nexus 4.

I'm also looking at the, nexus 4. After speaking with the carrier, they suggested that because it was unlocked, I could use it anywhere. When I asked if it was Quad band, I received a confusing explanation. Does it have to be quad band, in order for it to be used through, South America, or the Caribbean?

Miami Bob
09-29-13, 21:25
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/nexus_4_16gb?id=nexus_4_16gb&hl=en

as of sept 29, 2013 it appears that google is out of stock. the 8gig version is completely out[us$200]

i own the 16gig version and think it is worth the extra money. this phone does not take a storage card. the on board storage is it. it is nice to store some music; a game or two; some app's; and maybe a video. you cannot do that with the 8 gig verson loaded with software.

ebay is a good sourse of well priced nexus 4's if you shop. the 14 or 30 return right is worth a few dollars more. i got a factory refurb for about us$210 six months ago.

the nexus 4 has every 2g and 3g and gsm voice and text band used almost everywhere in the world available.

in the first world 4g is almost everywhere. in most of the third word it is not available.

the nexus four is not compatible with 4g. in the usa, it works well on t-mobile which has a fast 3g hspi which, in miami generally downloads at a min speed of 3 mgs+. sometimes i get over 10 mgs down. i have a t-mobile sim and activated it pre-paid for $50 for a month. i had a guest visit from argentina and activated the plan for their use while in miami for a few weeks.

this is not my principal usa phone, but a travel phone. if you live in the usa within an area where t-mobile has good

coverage it might be a viable alternative for someone on a buget. i like to use google maps and stream pandora for music in the car. in the area where i live, t-moble does not have good coverage outside of the urban areas ie not google maps actively working for 25% of a drive from miami to orlando and spotty voice and text coverage happens too often.

at&t pre-paid does not include fast 3g internet, but might be a good solution if usa data aside from wifi is not important.

Fred Gold
10-08-13, 13:42
At the airport, where is the 'best' place to purchase a SIM card for both voice and data. I will only be there for a week.

SlamCity7777
10-10-13, 19:55
At the airport, where is the 'best' place to purchase a SIM card for both voice and data. I will only be there for a week.I'd say just wait to your next full day and go to any mall and go get a sim card from one of the stores.

I do have a question. Who has an Iphone in the US and has it unlocked to use it in Colombia with a COL sim card? I've heard via articles, blogs, and message boards that you do not want a Verizon version because of various issues. So if I wanted an Iphone to use down there should I stick to ATT?

Also for other smart phones has anybody had issues with a Verizon version of a phone using it down in SA?

I'm just concerned that I will buy an android, blackberry, Iphone, ect here and then get skunked down there. $200ish gamble you know what I mean?

Thanks Smart phone informed amigos!

Boone
10-11-13, 14:56
I'd say just wait to your next full day and go to any mall and go get a sim card from one of the stores.

I do have a question. Who has an Iphone in the US and has it unlocked to use it in Colombia with a COL sim card? I've heard via articles, blogs, and message boards that you do not want a Verizon version because of various issues. So if I wanted an Iphone to use down there should I stick to ATT?

Also for other smart phones has anybody had issues with a Verizon version of a phone using it down in SA?

I'm just concerned that I will buy an android, blackberry, Iphone, ect here and then get skunked down there. $200ish gamble you know what I mean?

Thanks Smart phone informed amigos!Verizon phones do not use sim cards and Verizon does not use the GSM system so they do not work in most countries.

Member #4244
10-11-13, 15:48
I have seen some nice phones here for $250-$300 USD (Galaxy III, older IPhones, etc) but losing it in a cab, getting it stolen, etc, these are foreseeable risks.

I would say just get a Crackberry, one of these imitation Blackberrys from IPro or Ace or some other junk company. They will get the job done, email, Facebook, junky camera (Blackberrys also have bad ones) and of coruse calls and texts with a keypad. They run $30-$40 USD.

Fred Gold
10-12-13, 04:09
While walking around in aby country, I use a cheat phone from ebay. I like this phone and for 23usd incl shipping, it works anywhere and if stolen. Eh.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOKIA-6555-ACTUAL-PHOTOS-MUSIC-BLUETOOTH-VIDEO-CAMERA-AT-T-CELL-PHONE-/161124716415?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item2583c80f7f

If not unlocked. ATT will give you unlock code. If you have a problem, PM me.

SlamCity7777
10-13-13, 21:34
I have seen some nice phones here for $250-$300 USD (Galaxy III, older IPhones, etc) but losing it in a cab, getting it stolen, etc, these are foreseeable risks.

I would say just get a Crackberry, one of these imitation Blackberrys from IPro or Ace or some other junk company. They will get the job done, email, Facebook, junky camera (Blackberrys also have bad ones) and of coruse calls and texts with a keypad. They run $30-$40 USD.Funny thing this is the only topic here in the Colombia chain that is organized! Yeah man I already have a junk phone for my international travel and want to upgrade. Where is a good resource for a cheaper / older model Iphone or even newer black berry that will serve me in GSM countries (Colombia is GSM correct?)?

Ebay?

Hioctane
10-14-13, 07:18
Funny thing this is the only topic here in the Colombia chain that is organized! Yeah man I already have a junk phone for my international travel and want to upgrade. Where is a good resource for a cheaper / older model Iphone or even newer black berry that will serve me in GSM countries (Colombia is GSM correct?)?

Ebay?Ebay is your best bet. Smartphones are cheap these days. You can get a blackberry 8320 for around $50. A samsung galaxy s2 will run you around $100-150. You don't need brand new. Used is just fine. Just make sure it's unlocked and is GSM (most are quad band these days).

JPF
10-24-13, 22:20
When I asked if it was Quad band, I received a confusing explanation. Does it have to be quad band, in order for it to be used through, South America, or the Caribbean?The Nexus 4 is quad band.

Voice: 850/900/1800/1900

Data: 850/900/1700/1900/2100 HSPA+ 42.

It doesn't have to be quad band it just needs to work with the frequencies of the carrier you are interested in. Quad band is shortcut to indicate it should work with most carriers.

In Colombia, Claro and Movistar use 850; TIGO uses 1900. You can see that the Nexus 4 will work with all three.

Find the carrier you are interested in the following to see the frequencies they use:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mobile_network_operators_of_the_Americas

The Nexus 4 is discontinued from google but you could still buy on on the secondary market. The Nexus 5 should be out soon and should have at least as many bands; hopefully LTE, too.

Fred Gold
10-25-13, 03:45
I came across this android phone. Cheap. No 4G, just 3G unlocked, less than 100usd.

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/motorola-charm-w-motoblur-quad-band-smartphone-unlocked-black/224088584.html

FYI for others. The advantage of a quad phone is that it works in any country that supports GSM. Most locked phones can be unlocked. If a phone is not unlocked it will not work in other countries (or with a provider it wasn't designed for)

As the previos post stated

Voice: 850/900/1800/1900

Voice and data bands are different. Good luck.

SlamCity7777
11-07-13, 09:52
Ebay is your best bet. Smartphones are cheap these days. You can get a blackberry 8320 for around $50. A samsung galaxy s2 will run you around $100-150. You don't need brand new. Used is just fine. Just make sure it's unlocked and is GSM (most are quad band these days).Ok, so I'm doing my looking for smart phones; Galaxy, Iphone, Nexus, ect. Clearly my biggest fear is that I'll get a phone and it will not work down in Colombia and by the time I do get down there I will be too late or too far gone from the window of return when I get back if purchased at some Chinese Computer store or Ebay.

My question: Other than the seller saying it's unlocked is there a way to tell (use Iphone as it is the most common IMO) if an Iphone is unlocked? Will there be a "tell" or is it enough that I can plug in my Claro / ect Colombian sim card and it will read it?

Thanks for all the hand holding on this one guys. I'm sure my baby level of info on smart phones international will be of use to the next guy. Which is why we all post here! Gracias!

Bbrocs
11-07-13, 16:24
Ok, so I'm doing my looking for smart phones; Galaxy, Iphone, Nexus, ect. Clearly my biggest fear is that I'll get a phone and it will not work down in Colombia and by the time I do get down there I will be too late or too far gone from the window of return when I get back if purchased at some Chinese Computer store or Ebay.

My question: Other than the seller saying it's unlocked is there a way to tell (use Iphone as it is the most common IMO) if an Iphone is unlocked? Will there be a "tell" or is it enough that I can plug in my Claro / ect Colombian sim card and it will read it?

Thanks for all the hand holding on this one guys. I'm sure my baby level of info on smart phones international will be of use to the next guy. Which is why we all post here! Gracias!Hi slam, here is what I know from dealing with clients and helping them. I take them over to Santa Fe Mall, and let them choose which carrier, lately we just been helping them with Claro. Claro's main office is on first floor. All these fancy phones are quad band and should work unlocked in Medellin. Worst case is we had to do two things go up to the third floor and have a pro unlock it even more then what was stated from the ebay ad. For galaxy we had to call Samsung to get a unlock code once. One time the phone had a bad IMEI and was impossible to unlock. Client sent it back. We go to santa fe because of that unlock store on the third floor so we can get it all done one stop shop. For the newer Iphone they sometimes need to cut the chip down to fit. The client needs to register the phone with the carrier so come with your Identification. When we walk into Claro they put a working chip into the phone to see if it works before we buy a prepaid chip with data for the new phone. If it works we proceed if it doesn't we take them upstairs to see if it can be unlocked further. I had unlocked phones not being unlocked fully before. Hope this helps, the store that unlocks phones is right next to a bank of Banco Colombia ATM's. Hope this helps.

Hioctane
11-09-13, 05:01
Ok, so I'm doing my looking for smart phones; Galaxy, Iphone, Nexus, ect. Clearly my biggest fear is that I'll get a phone and it will not work down in Colombia and by the time I do get down there I will be too late or too far gone from the window of return when I get back if purchased at some Chinese Computer store or Ebay.

Thanks for all the hand holding on this one guys. I'm sure my baby level of info on smart phones international will be of use to the next guy. Which is why we all post here! Gracias!If you put in a foreign SIM and it is locked, it will usually say "Invalid SIM." To further test you can buy a prepaid SIM from a different US carrier and see if it works.

SlamCity7777
11-17-13, 14:56
I'd like to take a second and say thanks to all those who have taken the time out of their internet life to chime in, advise, field questions, and hold my hand in this entire cell phone fiasco. I've decided to go with either a Nexus or Galaxy. Whichever I can get on ebay for the best deal (I have a price in my head and will not go over that, not including shipping).

I hope all my questions will help the next guy down the line and if he should ask the same questions (prob not as I am a tech cave man) just have him search my posts! Hahah!

Muchisimas gracias por todo!

SlamCity7777
11-17-13, 15:19
Ok. I forgot to ask. What about older Iphone models? For example a 3GS is almost years old now and is 2 models behind the 5 & 4s / 4. But it would be more then acquitted for Colombia as 4G is rather rare in Colombia anyways and people mostly use wifi correct? (that's the vibe I got from this topic)

My buddy has a stack of his old Iphones and he has a very clean 3 with the box so I'm thinking that might be an inexpensive way for my girl to get her precious Iphone. Thoughts?

Thanks again for all the help with this.

Oh and it's factory unlocked, GSM, Quad all that junk, mini sim card as we discussed.

Hioctane
11-23-13, 16:37
Ok. I forgot to ask. What about older Iphone models? For example a 3GS is almost years old now and is 2 models behind the 5 & 4s / 4. But it would be more then acquitted for Colombia as 4G is rather rare in Colombia anyways and people mostly use wifi correct? (that's the vibe I got from this topic)

My buddy has a stack of his old Iphones and he has a very clean 3 with the box so I'm thinking that might be an inexpensive way for my girl to get her precious Iphone. Thoughts?

Thanks again for all the help with this.

Oh and it's factory unlocked, GSM, Quad all that junk, mini sim card as we discussed.They work fine. Just make sure you know what phone she currently has. Some chicas have newer phones than you!

SlamCity7777
11-27-13, 18:14
They work fine. Just make sure you know what phone she currently has. Some chicas have newer phones than you!Hahaha! No issue with my girl having a cell phone. She is a normal colombian chica so a smart phone is like the Holy Grail to her. She wishes she had what we would consider a "burner" phone here in the states.

I got her a used Iphone 4 from Craigslist. It reads my USA tmoble and when I used my Peru Sim card it sayd "No service", that's a good thing right? If it said "no sim card" that is a bad thing and I wasted my money?

My Google Phone reads the Peru sim card "claro no service" so that is clealy a good thing for my nexus in Colombia si? I do not want to cut up my Colombian sim card.

This sound all good?

Hioctane
11-28-13, 14:08
Hahaha! No issue with my girl having a cell phone. She is a normal colombian chica so a smart phone is like the Holy Grail to her. She wishes she had what we would consider a "burner" phone here in the states.

I got her a used Iphone 4 from Craigslist. It reads my USA tmoble and when I used my Peru Sim card it sayd "No service", that's a good thing right? If it said "no sim card" that is a bad thing and I wasted my money?

My Google Phone reads the Peru sim card "claro no service" so that is clealy a good thing for my nexus in Colombia si? I do not want to cut up my Colombian sim card.

This sound all good?Looks good. To further test, try a friend's AT&T SIM in it. Or get a prepaid AT&T SIM. Or simply go to a local, mom and pop cell store and ask if it is unlocked.

Razor77
12-16-13, 04:00
I just use my iphone 5 since it has international roaming. I don't make enough calls or texts for it to be an issue. If I need to make contact I use the wifi and use oovoo or tango or whattsupp. Its free.

SlamCity7777
12-16-13, 23:26
I just use my iphone 5 since it has international roaming. I don't make enough calls or texts for it to be an issue. If I need to make contact I use the wifi and use oovoo or tango or whattsupp. Its free.Oovoo, tango, & whattsupp are IM / chat apps or are they for online calls like a Magic Jack or Vondage phone?

Boricua75
12-20-13, 07:10
Oovoo, tango, & whattsupp are IM / chat apps or are they for online calls like a Magic Jack or Vondage phone?I have a HTC One android unlocked gsm phone that I use from travel. I bought a simm and added a data plane (13mil / one week). I also installed majicjack so, I can call the US. This worked great. I was able to call locally and international (thru majicjack). The world is getting smaller.

SlamCity7777
01-08-14, 15:22
I have a HTC One android unlocked gsm phone that I use from travel. I bought a simm and added a data plane (13mil / one week). I also installed majicjack so, I can call the US. This worked great. I was able to call locally and international (thru majicjack). The world is getting smaller.Thanks for this. I down loaded majickack and a few other items I think will be cool to have.

I have a question about the relationship between apps and the phone number / accounts that you have on your phone. Now when you sync you phone to the new sim card do you have to have all new accounts to whatsapp, wickr, majicjack, or anything that you have to be verified by your phone number?

Also if I import all my colombian contacts do I have to erase them from the phone from my trip or will my normal contacts be on my sim card? Is that question clear?

Hioctane
01-12-14, 03:17
Thanks for this. I down loaded majickack and a few other items I think will be cool to have.

I have a question about the relationship between apps and the phone number / accounts that you have on your phone. Now when you sync you phone to the new sim card do you have to have all new accounts to whatsapp, wickr, majicjack, or anything that you have to be verified by your phone number?

Also if I import all my colombian contacts do I have to erase them from the phone from my trip or will my normal contacts be on my sim card? Is that question clear?If you switch sims, there will usually be alerts asking if you want to switch. You can ignore the messages and use the apps normally.

Not exactly sure what you meant by the last question. If you don't want to worry about the import / export of contacts, keep the contacts on the sim.

Vegas Jeff
01-27-14, 06:31
I am in Medellin now and have been using this phone for a week and everything is great. I am using Claro as a service provider. The signal is great everywhere and the earpiece sound is crystal clear. The ringer is loud and the camera is decent. It is lightweight and looks nice also. I have not accessed

I bought it from the ad below about 3 weeks ago. It arrived in about a week.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Samsung-I9000-Galaxy-S-Android-V2-2-GPS-WIFI-4-0-TouchWiz-3-0-UI-SMARTPHONE-/350896728474?

Archimedes
02-12-14, 22:12
I brought an unlocked iPhone 3 from USA and wanted to transfer my sim card from an older phone into it. I faced two problems: the battery in the iPhone had expanded and was at risk of exploding. Second, moving the sim card was not easy.

A friend recommended Luis at Elunet. Lv, which is a cell phone accessory and service shop in Medellin near Parque Poblado. The address is Calle 9 #43A. 31, Local 215. It's in the shopping center just south of Parque Poblado on the 2nd floor.

Luis initially estimated 70.000 for the battery replacement and to transfer the sim card. However, after replacing the battery, he ran into some problems getting the sim card to connect to the cell network. These problems may stem from the fact this was a USA iPhone that had been unlocked in China. Luis cleaned off all the old data and got it working for voice calls and text msgs.

Since he put several hours of extra time in, and loaned me a cell phone while he worked on the iPhone, I paid him 100.000. That seemed well worth the price as I now have a much better phone for Colombia than I've ever had before.

BTW, more than one person recommended I use a phone shop in El Centro. Besides the trouble of going there, I was warned that sometimes they do untrustworthy things like steal the original parts out of the phone and replace them with knock-offs. Anyway, I'm glad I found Luis and recommend him to everyone.

Havana927
04-14-14, 15:14

Havana927
04-14-14, 17:19
I wanted to know how much would It be to unlock a cell and get a SIM card in Colombia.

Bbrocs
04-14-14, 17:28

Please to help! Thanks!I upgraded my blackberry in Colombia. To a newer smart phone blackberry Z10.

I went to comcel. You would go to movie star with phone. Told them my number. They made me a new sim chip for 7, 500 pesos.

Gave me the codes to enter for internet. Showed me how much was for each combo. Deposited some money on it and for the month I had a great working cell for 40, 000 pesos or so.

Rewsna
07-09-14, 03:08
I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S4 unlocked. Didn't need any programs like magicjack. Just bought a new SIM card from Claro, inputted the code for internet, and they had to manually input an Access Point in my settings for the internet (or else it wouldn't work). The girl in the kiosk couldn't figure it out so I took a taxi to an official Claro store so a worker could input it in the settings. All my apps work fine.

For anyone who needs the settings:

Name: WEB Comcel 3 GSM.

APN: internet.com cel.com.co.

Username: COMCELWEB.

MCC: 732

MNC: 101

Thanks for this. I down loaded majickack and a few other items I think will be cool to have.

Also if I import all my colombian contacts do I have to erase them from the phone from my trip or will my normal contacts be on my sim card? Is that question clear?

ResetButton
10-18-14, 15:42
I'm flying into Medellin tomorrow and can't unlock my phone due to an existing AT&T contract. I got an international unlimited text / $1 minute / 120 MB data plan through AT&T just in case, but now I'm thinking it won't help me communicate with the girls in Colombia because they still have to text my USA Based number and I'm guessing it will cost them.

How do you guys set up appointments with the chicas from the strip clubs / casas? Are they on WhatsApp?

Shamester
10-18-14, 17:17
I'm flying into Medellin tomorrow and can't unlock my phone due to an existing AT&T contract. I got an international unlimited text / $1 minute / 120 MB data plan through AT&T just in case, but now I'm thinking it won't help me communicate with the girls in Colombia because they still have to text my USA Based number and I'm guessing it will cost them.

How do you guys set up appointments with the chicas from the strip clubs / casas? Are they on WhatsApp?My suggestion is to buy an inexpensive unlocked cell phone from establishments like amazon, best buy, etc. Once you arrive at your destination purchase a sim card.

Since you are already in Medellin, suggest you purchase an inexpensive throw away cell phone. It will save you mucho dinero.

SlamCity7777
10-18-14, 22:57
My suggestion is to buy an inexpensive unlocked cell phone from establishments like amazon, best buy, etc. Once you arrive at your destination purchase a sim card.

Since you are already in Medellin, suggest you purchase an inexpensive throw away cell phone. It will save you mucho dinero.Think about buying a cheap burner for local calls, texts, and basic internet. It should be unlocked naturally so you can use it with new sims in other countries. This is especially a good idea if you plan on coming to Colombia or SA in general a bunch. Also better to lose a burner in a cab or get stolen vs you new Iphone 6000; you know what I mean?

If you want to stick with your phone FB messenger and usually Whats app is usually fine. I do like the direct old fashioned call as well.

Hioctane
10-19-14, 02:21

How do you guys set up appointments with the chicas from the strip clubs / casas? Are they on WhatsApp?Most are on whatsapp and facebook. Nobody wastes money on texting anymore.

Mdoro
10-20-14, 02:34
Most are on whatsapp and facebook. Nobody wastes money on texting anymore.Americans are the only cell users that don't use the many apps available.

Whatsapp, Line, Viber to name a few.

AnalPerp
10-26-14, 03:52
Where is the best place to get a SIM in Medellin? My phone is already unlocked, I'm just looking for a prepaid plan. Is there a booth in the Medellin airport? Which carrier has good data? I'm planning to travel around the whole country. I'll be staying in Pablado so anywhere close would be good.

Vitrea
10-26-14, 21:01
It is obvious to most but for those doing this for the first time, unlocked phone is a must.

I highly recommend a smart phone so you can buy a data plan and use it for GPS, texts, Facebook and translation app in case you're in a bind.

Where? I don't if there is a Kiosk at the airport. My regular place used to be the supermarket in Parque Lleras across from Mondongo's restaurant. They no longer sell SIM cards. Best and friendliest is a phone shop in the middle of the block on the east of Parque Poblado. As you walk down the hill on Calle 10 (going west) turn left on Avenida Poblado (turn south). This is the main drag and if you cross it you will be in Parque Poblado. Don't cross.

The cell phone shop is next to a small restaurant with excellent Colombian food. If you buy a meal ($5 USD) they will give you access to their WIFi which you might need to activate your smartphone. (I have an unlocked iPhone and it needed access to my iTunes account).

They have data plans that are for 1,2 or 4 weeks. They have other pay as you go plans but the time limited ones are most cost effective for folks that don't live there. I travel frequently so I used to buy pay as you go plans also but those expire due to prolonged inactivity and the number also goes out of service if it is inactive for a while. I heard more positive things about Claro data as opposed to Tigo so I get Claro and I am happy with it.

Once you get the SIM activated with data plan, it has zero credit to make phone calls so you need to put money for phone calls. All takes a maximum of 30 minutes and you can do this while eating lunch and having a beer. If you go through the phone shop you enter a covered sitting common area for all the shops and that is where you can eat lunch. Just to give an example of how nice these Colombians are, the phone lady did not accept money from me till my card was activated and phone was working.

Ask if you have any other questions.

Looks like you have a long trip ahead of you. Please post about your experiences.

Maddur
10-26-14, 22:04
My current phone cannot be unlocked. Planning to buy a new cheap one. Should I do it in the US or Colombia? Thanks.

AnalPerp
10-27-14, 01:49
I use chronicunlocks.com to factory unlock my phones that are in contact. Try him, I think it was $60 but sometimes there is a sale. I've used him twice with success.

My current phone cannot be unlocked. Planning to buy a new cheap one. Should I do it in the US or Colombia? Thanks.

Vitrea
10-27-14, 02:18
My current phone cannot be unlocked. Planning to buy a new cheap one. Should I do it in the US or Colombia? Thanks.I highly recommend buying in US. Most phones are more expensive in Colombia. Buy a quad band GSM unlocked smartphone phone. See my previous post on why a smartphone.

Vitrea
10-27-14, 02:21
Americans are the only cell users that don't use the many apps available.

Whatsapp, Line, Viber to name a few.Very true but that is because most Americans do not call outside USA and most have inexpensive data plans. It is changing though as companies are moving away from unlimited data to more expensive data plans.

AnalPerp
10-27-14, 02:22
It is obvious to most but for those doing this for the first time, unlocked phone is a must.

I highly recommend a smart phone so you can buy a data plan and use it for GPS, texts, Facebook and translation app in case you're in a bind.

Where? I don't if there is a Kiosk at the airport. My regular place used to be the supermarket in Parque Lleras across from Mondongo's restaurant. They no longer sell SIM cards. Best and friendliest is a phone shop in the middle of the block on the east of Parque Poblado. As you walk down the hill on Calle 10 (going west) turn left on Avenida Poblado (turn south). This is the main drag and if you cross it you will be in Parque Poblado. Don't cross.

The cell phone shop is next to a small restaurant with excellent Colombian food. If you buy a meal ($5 USD) they will give you access to their WIFi which you might need to activate your smartphone. (I have an unlocked iPhone and it needed access to my iTunes account)...Thank you! I'll report as much as possible with pictures.

SlamCity7777
10-31-14, 03:13
Ok I asked these questions previously but I think its warranted to ask if buying a Iphone 6 I should buy one for like tmoble because they are sim free / unlocked correct? No sprint and other than that should be good to go correct?

Member #4287
10-31-14, 09:44
Ok I asked these questions previously but I think its warranted to ask if buying a Iphone 6 I should buy one for like tmoble because they are sim free / unlocked correct? No sprint and other than that should be good to go correct?You are correct to buy a t-mobile phone but they use a sim just like all Colombian cell phones.

When I bought mine it took a month to get it unlocked. They wouldn't do it immediately for some reason. Don't know how they handle things now but I would buy one at least a month before my trip just to make sure.

I actually carry two phones now because t-mobile has free international data (3 G) and I use my blackberry to make local cell calls.

SlamCity7777
10-31-14, 12:06
You are correct to buy a t-mobile phone but they use a sim just like all Colombian cell phones.

When I bought mine it took a month to get it unlocked. They wouldn't do it immediately for some reason. Don't know how they handle things now but I would buy one at least a month before my trip just to make sure.

I actually carry two phones now because t-mobile has free international data (3 G) and I use my blackberry to make local cell calls.Who was your carrier / provider? So with my tmobile US sim I should be able to get free date in Colombia?

SlamCity7777
10-31-14, 22:31
Who was your carrier / provider? So with my tmobile US sim I should be able to get free date in Colombia?Not the Dork at the Tmobile store said that their phones are not "unlocked" they are GSM but there is no guarantee that you will have full function. The examples I as given were, no texting capability, only G3 network connection, update issues and so on.

The Chica at the apple store said the same thing pretty much. Like there is a time period of usage on their net work or some junk, Is this just BS to get you to use the device on their system to collect their monthly?

You Can
11-01-14, 12:23
My iphone on sprint service works in cartagena. No problems but costly. Was in medellin a few weeks ago and didn't work at all for calls but in wifi area could text and email. But couldn't text verizon users. My buddys iphone on verizon would not work at alll.

Not the Dork at the Tmobile store said that their phones are not "unlocked" they are GSM but there is no guarantee that you will have full function. The examples I as given were, no texting capability, only G3 network connection, update issues and so on.

The Chica at the apple store said the same thing pretty much. Like there is a time period of usage on their net work or some junk, Is this just BS to get you to use the device on their system to collect their monthly?

SlamCity7777
11-01-14, 13:19
My iphone on sprint service works in cartagena. No problems but costly. Was in medellin a few weeks ago and didn't work at all for calls but in wifi area could text and email. But couldn't text verizon users. My buddys iphone on verizon would not work at alll.Sorry if I didn't specify or if you didn't see the previous posts. My concerns are with Iphone 6. I know the previous models and all the pros and cons. Sprint is a different format (no sim) so you couldn't make calls if only in USA. Hmmm. Odd.

Any intel on the Tmobile Iphone 6? Will all the features work? What all about that unlocked stuff vs time locked stuff?

You Can
11-01-14, 16:06
I was just letting guys know how my iPhone 5 worked on sprint service. Just for info!! Also 5 years ago (not sure about 5 years may have been 6 or7) when I first went to Cartagena my phone didn't work at all. I am happy it now works with no problem. It was a pain in the ass in medellin but I used Skype when needed.

Sorry if I didn't specify or if you didn't see the previous posts. My concerns are with Iphone 6. I know the previous models and all the pros and cons. Sprint is a different format (no sim) so you couldn't make calls if only in USA. Hmmm. Odd.

Any intel on the Tmobile Iphone 6? Will all the features work? What all about that unlocked stuff vs time locked stuff?

Member #4287
11-01-14, 19:40
Who was your carrier / provider? So with my tmobile US sim I should be able to get free date in Colombia?Carrier is T-mobile. It is only 3 G that is free. But works great for messaging on whatsapp and facebook.

http://www.t-mobile.com/optional-services/roaming.html

Vitrea
11-01-14, 23:14
Sorry if I didn't specify or if you didn't see the previous posts. My concerns are with Iphone 6. I know the previous models and all the pros and cons. Sprint is a different format (no sim) so you couldn't make calls if only in USA. Hmmm. Odd.

Any intel on the Tmobile Iphone 6? Will all the features work? What all about that unlocked stuff vs time locked stuff?Slam, The key word is "T mobile contract free iPhone 6". That phone works flawlessly. It is basically an unlocked iPhone. All functions work on it when you replace the T mobile SIM card with a third party card from another GSM carrier.

Aunsa
11-12-14, 18:19
Virgin are giving away free sim cards this weekend, plus they have the best deal for calls.

Hioctane
11-14-14, 17:47
Ok I asked these questions previously but I think its warranted to ask if buying a Iphone 6 I should buy one for like tmoble because they are sim free / unlocked correct? No sprint and other than that should be good to go correct?Verizon will work overseas (even though they are CDMA. New phones are dual CDMA / GSM and and LTE phone is already unlocked).

AT&T you need to unlock.

Sprint I thought wouldn't work overseas. But apparently they are like Verizon now with World phones (GSM / CDMA combos).

T Mo you don't need to do anything. Keep your number. Free data, free SMS, free calls back home. Just awesome. A must if you travel with any regularity.

Puntz79
06-28-15, 06:27
This thread has not been updated in awhile, but for anyone that is looking for an affordable smartphone that is unlocked, and of excellent quality. Get the OnePlus One. It's only available online at oneplus.net. I have used plenty of smartphones, and for the cost ($249) this is easily the best value out there. When I travel, I don't like to use smaller phones. But in some countries, I know that pulling out a big iPhone might give you some attention from people you don't want attention from. Personally, I don't think it's a huge issue because iPhones are fairly common these days even in countries with lower incomes. But, if you're on contract in the USA then you know you're stuck with the carriers network and can't put in a 3rd party SIM card and pay significantly lower in data usage.

I've taken the OnePlus One with me the last few trips, it's no Samsung Galaxy S6 or Nexus 6 (I've tried both) but it's not far off. The size is perfect, and it does not look that fancy either. And for the cost of $249, you get a new, high-quality, unlocked quad-band GSM smartphone that gives you the ability to purchase local SIM cards and pay low data rates. Not many people are aware of the OnePlus One, it's been out since 2014 and quantities were very limited and required an invitation to purchase (I bought one very early). Now it's available online for purchase by anyone and everyone. The packaging is also really unique and you'll be impressed. I have had a couple chicas during my travels ask me about it but only because they had never seen it before. It was more of a "what brand is that? Never seen it before. " situation, rather than a "wow that's a fancy smartphone, let me see? Of course, I still wouldn't want anyone to steal it. But if I had an iPhone 6 Plus stolen, I'd be a hell of a lot more pissed than having a OnePlus One stolen.

BatInTheCity
06-28-15, 15:17
Another phone idea. A few months back I got a BLU phone from my best buy for $100. It's quad band. Android. And unlocked. Took it to Colombia and loaded it up with minutes and a SIM card at a Claro stand in Cartagena for about $10 us. So check your best buy store, this is a great phone.

Havana927
06-28-15, 19:49
This thread has not been updated in awhile, but for anyone that is looking for an affordable smartphone that is unlocked, and of excellent quality. Get the OnePlus One. It's only available online at oneplus.net. I have used plenty of smartphones, and for the cost ($249) this is easily the best value out there. When I travel, I don't like to use smaller phones. But in some countries, I know that pulling out a big iPhone might give you some attention from people you don't want attention from. Personally, I don't think it's a huge issue because iPhones are fairly common these days even in countries with lower incomes. But, if you're on contract in the USA then you know you're stuck with the carriers network and can't put in a 3rd party SIM card and pay significantly lower in data usage.

I've taken the OnePlus One with me the last few trips, it's no Samsung Galaxy S6 or Nexus 6 (I've tried both) but it's not far off. The size is perfect, and it does not look that fancy either. And for the cost of $249, you get a new, high-quality, unlocked quad-band GSM smartphone that gives you the ability to purchase local SIM cards and pay low data rates. Not many people are aware of the OnePlus One, it's been out since 2014 and quantities were very limited and required an invitation to purchase (I bought one very early). Now it's available online for purchase by anyone and everyone. The packaging is also really unique and you'll be impressed. I have had a couple chicas during my travels ask me about it but only because they had never seen it before. It was more of a "what brand is that? Never seen it before. " situation, rather than a "wow that's a fancy smartphone, let me see? Of course, I still wouldn't want anyone to steal it. But if I had an iPhone 6 Plus stolen, I'd be a hell of a lot more pissed than having a OnePlus One stolen.I have an iphone 4,would you know how much is it to unlock an iphone in Colombia.

Puntz79
06-28-15, 19:56
Another phone idea. A few months back I got a BLU phone from my best buy for $100. It's quad band. Android. And unlocked. Took it to Colombia and loaded it up with minutes and a SIM card at a Claro stand in Cartagena for about $10 us. So check your best buy store, this is a great phone.BLU is definitely affordable, and good for latin america. Only thing with BLU phones would be that it doesn't support LTE. But considering that LTE is not that easy to find in Latin America anyways, a BLU phone would work perfectly fine.

Puntz79
06-28-15, 19:57
I have an iphone 4,would you know how much is it to unlock an iphone in Colombia.I have never tried. I'd imagine it's fairly cheap to do though, but you could always just one of the online unlocking sites that has a good reputation, and unlock through that. It will of course cost a bit more. Others can advise as I have not experienced unlocking phones in other countries.

Phunluv
06-29-15, 06:40
For the guy with the iPhone 4 question, I'd recommend just unlocking it here in the states through one of those unlocked web sites. Shouldn't cost more than $20 and it's usually no more than a day to do it. The cost might even be less for an old model like the iPhone 4.

When I first went to Colombia, I used to bring Nokias and Motorolas that cost around $70 - 80, but a smartphone with 3 G access is pretty much an absolute necessity nowadays.

If you want to stay ahead of the P4P game, you're going to need 24/7 everywhere access to your "killer apps" down there, which is Facebook and WhatsApp. That's more important today than the actual calling capability; some girls don't even take calls anymore, they do everything thru the texting apps.

Your other 2 must apps are Skype and Google Maps. Would be better though to run the mapping program on a tablet or laptop if you brought one with you. Don't take your phone out on the street to check a map, LOL. Use the Street View feature of Google Maps to study where you're going the day before. That's what I like to do, it gives me confidence and there's almost no surprises once I've prepped like that.

You can still get good phones for the $70-80 price range I spent in the past. On eBay you can bid on an older Android phone. I like the Galaxy S3 mini. It has a 4" screen while the full-sized S3 has a 4. 8 inch screen. Unless you absolutely need a big screen for photo taking (and then showing them to the chicas), it should be enough phone for use in the streets of MDE. The mini fits easily in your pocket, and if it's lost or stolen, it's not such a big deal.

BatInTheCity
06-30-15, 01:15
I have an iphone 4,would you know how much is it to unlock an iphone in Colombia.Don't know about iPhones unlocking. I bought a separate phone just for Colombia, got an unlocked one. The investment of $100 was worth it to me, and I have my US phone which I did not need to mess with in any way.

CherchezFemme
06-30-15, 15:38
I've lost the equivalent of $50 thanks to the incompetence I've found in people selling recargas and in claro's lack of customer service. I've had the wrong data packages activated twice. They sell all kinds of data packages, some limited to only fb and whatsapp (but only via the apps! Some a combination, some with calls, Some without.

If you're about to arrive in Colombia I suggest Virgin mobile. They have a 38 k data plan with unlimited whatsapp messaging, 2. 5 gbs for brOwsing and some voice minutes. Add in 10 k for the sim card and for about $22 bucks you should be ok for a few weeks.

Sun08
07-21-15, 18:42
I am sharing my personal experience of getting a SIM card and having a cell phone in Colombia. May be that helps others who will go through that process the first time they go to Colombia. Before you go make sure you have an unlocked GSM smart phone. Few days before I go, I bought a used iPhone 4's from Amazon for $115 which turned out to be in excellent shape. Once in Colombia, I recommend not to buy your SIM from a grocery store, convenience store, etc. Go to an authorized store and let them put the SIM in your cell phone and test it. The three largest carriers are Claro, Movistar and Tigo. The Claro is the largest and has more stores than others. I selected Claro. You will find a Claro Store in every shopping center in Bogota or Medellin. In my case, I was in Bogota in Zona Rosa area and went to Andino Mall, third floor. I got excellent customer service there so if you are in that area, I recommend that store. I took my phone to that store and handed it to the Rep. And asked for a SIM. The SIM costs 5 K peso. He put the SIM in and tested it. That comes with a bit of air time. Then you need to select a package to add for email, text and Internet access. He showed me on his monitor different packages with different pricing and suggested one for 13 k. So for a total of 18 k peso ($7 US) I had a fully functional phone with access to text, whatsapp and Internet access. That was a basic package since all I needed was text, whatsapp and very little Internet access. If you plan to use Internet a lot, you will need to get a different package. Avoid stores that have lots of customers. Go to one with few customers so the Rep. Has the time to talk and explain in more details the package you need.

Rodeo9112
05-07-16, 20:11
So, being the crafty devil that I am, I recently discovered the SIM cards I pilfered from my burner phones for Colombia, Panama, and Brazil. I say pilfered because my S. O. Thought she destroyed the phones with a hammer. Dumbass! Anyway, should I be able to stick these into any unlocked phone and view the contacts and messages? Or, do I need to use one of that company's phones? One SIM is tigo (Colombia), another is T-Mobile (DR I think), and the other is blank (I think from Brazil). Thanks in advance for the info!

Rodeo

Bbrocs
05-08-16, 00:33
So, being the crafty devil that I am, I recently discovered the SIM cards I pilfered from my burner phones for Colombia, Panama, and Brazil. I say pilfered because my S. O. Thought she destroyed the phones with a hammer. Dumbass! Anyway, should I be able to stick these into any unlocked phone and view the contacts and messages? Or, do I need to use one of that company's phones? One SIM is tigo (Colombia), another is T-Mobile (DR I think), and the other is blank (I think from Brazil). Thanks in advance for the info!

RodeoNo load the sims into any phone. What ever is stored on the card will come up. Doesn't have to be the same company. Same network. Your phone book. Notes and apps will load from SIM cards.

Rodeo9112
05-08-16, 01:57
No load the sims into any phone. What ever is stored on the card will come up. Doesn't have to be the same company. Same network. Your phone book. Notes and apps will load from SIM cards.Thanks! My contacts in there are 7 years old but, well, it'll be a good walk down memory lane! I know the putas change phone numbers more often than they change underwear.

Anyone have experience re-contacting old flames after years of inactivity?

Rodeo9112
05-08-16, 12:24
No load the sims into any phone. What ever is stored on the card will come up. Doesn't have to be the same company. Same network. Your phone book. Notes and apps will load from SIM cards.Got it! Thanks.

Jay Balanty
05-10-16, 14:46
Just a heads up, Verizon just added Colombia to the list of travel pass countries. That means it costs 10 $ a day and you basically pull from your voice\text\data plan back stateside. That also includes calling within Colombia. I used to have a t-mobile phone with the unlimited international data plan, it was good abroad but the service where I live sucked so I had another phone when I was home. But with this new verizon thing I am going to cancel my t-mobile service. The only major country I travel to that is not part of this plan is China. Hope this helps you guys.

Rodeo9112
05-14-16, 21:50
So, with whatsApp, I know it makes you enter a phone number to start using it. Does the number have to be active? Meaning, if I use an old phone with Wifi to download the app, but service on the phone isn't activated, can I still use whatsApp? Or, if I'm using my real, everyday phone, can I make up a number and just use the app over Wifi?

Dveight
05-15-16, 18:42
So, with whatsApp, I know it makes you enter a phone number to start using it. Does the number have to be active? Meaning, if I use an old phone with Wifi to download the app, but service on the phone isn't activated, can I still use whatsApp? Or, if I'm using my real, everyday phone, can I make up a number and just use the app over Wifi?No, the phone number has to be active. If you cancel your service Whatsaap stops working immediately. There are several "hacks" available online. I haven't found any that actually work. The best thing I have found is T-Mobile has a plan for $3 a month that basically just keeps the line active.

Fun Luvr
05-17-16, 06:33
No, the phone number has to be active. If you cancel your service Whatsaap stops working immediately. There are several "hacks" available online. I haven't found any that actually work. The best thing I have found is T-Mobile has a plan for $3 a month that basically just keeps the line active.I don't think that is accurate. You must have an active number when you activate Whatsapp. The reason is that they will send a text message to, or call, that number with an activation code. Once you have activated Whatsapp, you do not even need a sim card in the phone to use it.

To Rodeo9112, I suggest you put your working sim in your old phone, then download and activate Whatsapp. Take the sim out and Whatsapp will continue to work. You can buy a local sim in Colombia, put it in your phone, Whatsapp will continue to work with no changes to the app. I know this works because I have been doing that for at least two years. I use Whatsapp almost everyday. When I am in the US, the phone is in Airplane Mode and either has a Colombian sim, a Costa Rican sim, or no sim. If you change the phone you are using for Whatsapp, then you will have to have a working number again. Instructions are on the Whatsapp web site for how to do it. I did it a couple of months ago, it works.

Manizales911
05-17-16, 15:41
I don't think that is accurate. You must have an active number when you activate Whatsapp. The reason is that they will send a text message to, or call, that number with an activation code. Once you have activated Whatsapp, you do not even need a sim card in the phone to use it.

To Rodeo9112, I suggest you put your working sim in your old phone, then download and activate Whatsapp. Take the sim out and Whatsapp will continue to work. You can buy a local sim in Colombia, put it in your phone, Whatsapp will continue to work with no changes to the app. I know this works because I have been doing that for at least two years. I use Whatsapp almost everyday. When I am in the US, the phone is in Airplane Mode and either has a Colombian sim, a Costa Rican sim, or no sim. If you change the phone you are using for Whatsapp, then you will have to have a working number again. Instructions are on the Whatsapp web site for how to do it. I did it a couple of months ago, it works.You are correct. Once you activate the number on Whatsapp you can deactivate the number with the carrier, my Whatsapp number hasn't been associated with a phone carrier for a couple of years.

Rodeo9112
05-22-16, 23:53
You are correct. Once you activate the number on Whatsapp you can deactivate the number with the carrier, my Whatsapp number hasn't been associated with a phone carrier for a couple of years.Thanks to everyone for your insight! I think I understand now! I just don't want to be giving out my everyday number to chicks all over the world and having them blowing me up!

Old Parr
05-23-16, 05:17
I just don't want to be giving out my everyday number to chicks all over the world and having them blowing me up!I do not think you will ever have to worry about that.

Rodeo9112
05-30-16, 03:14
I do not think you will ever have to worry about that.And by "blowing me up," I meant calling non-stop in case there was any slang confusion!

Balimassage
01-04-19, 17:01
Been using this SIM card my past 4 trips to Colombia. It's a Three UK SIM and gives you 12 GB of data that lasts 12 months. Valid in 71 countries including Colombia, all of Europe, and seemingly more countries every time I check. It uses Movistar, which works great everywhere (well except San Andres where nothing really works).

Just pop it into your SIM slot and you're good to go. It's $40 for the year which is about $3. 5/ GB if you use the whole thing. You can renew when you run out of quota but it's cheaper just to get a new one (I carry a backup). No need to worry about SIM registration, expiration of card, etc.

It is a DATA ONLY so if you need a number it won't work. Only time this is a headache is with Uber sometimes the guy likes to call. Now when I match I just message them right away and say I have data only, so can only message. Whatsapp calls work awesome and everyone in Colombia has WA.

Here's the link on Amazon to buy it. There's also a 30 day one that costs less but might as well pay the extra $10 for the entire year.

https://amzn.to/2Rp8ZOb

More info on Three-UK service (if you're in the UK can probably buy off this link easier).

http://www.three.co.uk/go-roam

GBN94
01-18-19, 14:40
No, the phone number has to be active. If you cancel your service Whatsaap stops working immediately. There are several "hacks" available online. I haven't found any that actually work. The best thing I have found is T-Mobile has a plan for $3 a month that basically just keeps the line active.I don't think that is accurate. I opted for a one month prepaid SIM and made a new WA account for it. It has since lapsed and the WA account works just fine in the 3 weeks since.

JjBee62
01-19-19, 15:08
I don't think that is accurate. I opted for a one month prepaid SIM and made a new WA account for it. It has since lapsed and the WA account works just fine in the 3 weeks since.I'm using my original WhatsApp number that I've used on phones with 3 different phone numbers. It's worked on both Colombian and US SIM cards.

Mush Elvii
01-23-19, 08:39
Anyone aware if there's US equivalent to option below? (beside google Fi).

Been using this SIM card my past 4 trips to Colombia. It's a Three UK SIM and gives you 12 GB of data that lasts 12 months. Valid in 71 countries including Colombia, all of Europe, and seemingly more countries every time I check. It uses Movistar, which works great everywhere (well except San Andres where nothing really works).

Just pop it into your SIM slot and you're good to go. It's $40 for the year which is about $3. 5/ GB if you use the whole thing. You can renew when you run out of quota but it's cheaper just to get a new one (I carry a backup). No need to worry about SIM registration, expiration of card, etc.

LoveItHere69
02-21-19, 19:24
Time for a new phone. I mostly text. Google fi sounds great for me to use but how hard is it for the girls to text me? What are their costs using normal carriers such as Claro, Moviestar, Tigo? Will their texts get to my phone? Is a text message to my Google fi a normal cost, maybe a little bit more, or is it a high cost for them?

I know most girls are using Whatsapp and it is free. But there are a few that will not have Whatsapp.

JjBee62
02-22-19, 06:24
Time for a new phone. I mostly text. Google fi sounds great for me to use but how hard is it for the girls to text me? What are their costs using normal carriers such as Claro, Moviestar, Tigo? Will their texts get to my phone? Is a text message to my Google fi a normal cost, maybe a little bit more, or is it a high cost for them?

I know most girls are using Whatsapp and it is free. But there are a few that will not have Whatsapp.If they have a phone they will be using Whatsapp.

Balimassage
03-17-19, 03:24
Anyone aware if there's US equivalent to option below? (beside google Fi).T-mobile has crappy but cheap international roaming, Sprint the same. Just buy the Three UK SIm from Amazon, its cheaper and easier than local colombian SIMs.

Smoothy
03-17-19, 04:07
I know most girls are using Whatsapp and it is free. But there are a few that will not have Whatsapp.I doubt it will be a problem. I can't even remember the last time I met a girl outside the USA who did not have whatsapp. It was years ago. The only people who don't have whatsapp are people in the USA. If a girl in Colombia tells you she doesn't have whatsapp, she is likely not telling you the truth for some reason.

JSmith49
03-24-19, 02:50
Of the carriers provided. Does anyone they recommend as the best option between Tigo, claro, movistar.

JjBee62
03-24-19, 13:53
Of the carriers provided. Does anyone they recommend as the best option between Tigo, claro, movistar.My opinion, unless you're going to be doing a lot of traveling outside of the major cities, there's no significant difference. Some smaller cities have better coverage by one carrier or another.

Riina
03-24-19, 19:29
T-mobile has crappy but cheap international roaming, Sprint the same. Just buy the Three UK SIm from Amazon, its cheaper and easier than local colombian SIMs.If someone would please provide a link to the specific Amazon UK Sim that they know for sure will work in Medellin? It's not clear in the advertising.

Balimassage
04-12-19, 19:26
If someone would please provide a link to the specific Amazon UK Sim that they know for sure will work in Medellin? It's not clear in the advertising.I use this one, its 12 GB for 365 days, $49. Works all of Europe, and Colombia.

https://amzn.to/2UVMdPx

If you want one for only a month, this one is 5 gb for $19:

https://amzn.to/2VHn206

The clock starts when you activate so I bought two so I have one ready when the other one finishes.

SethMacfarlane
04-12-19, 22:25
Of the carriers provided. Does anyone they recommend as the best option between Tigo, claro, movistar.I've tried all three, Claro was the best for me.

DeepXliv
04-17-19, 16:01
Hello,

Does anyone think there is any difference on the girls end if she gets a WhatsApp from a us number vs Colombia number? Do you think she would price differently etc. Or do these girls not pay any mind to it?

Mike963
06-04-19, 15:49
Probably yes.

But as far as you are aware of the market rates. You should be fine.

As one of the fellow monger suggested. Now I don't ask for price, its 150 K + taxi. If I got the contact from FB or any other site.

Street mongering is another story, which I haven't tried much.

I use my UK number, and I don't speak Spanish! Use translator.

Still I am able to survive. I will put my report soon.

Hello,

Does anyone think there is any difference on the girls end if she gets a WhatsApp from a us number vs Colombia number? Do you think she would price differently etc. Or do these girls not pay any mind to it?