PDA

View Full Version : Travel Questions and Advice

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Fun Luvr
01-24-18, 16:52
I arrived in Havana on JetBlue Wednesday, Jan. 17, at 10 am. There were two forms provided on the plane to be filled out, one a customs form and the other an agriculture form. Typical questions asked by most countries. The agriculture form asked the purpose of visit. I checked "Tourist" since the other selections didn't apply, and I figured Cuba wasn't sharing that info with the US.

The airport is modern with the walkways that connect the airplane and the terminal. It only took a couple of minutes after arriving at the gate for the doors to open and we were deplaning. It's a little walk to the immigration area, with signs to guide you. The immigration area is a large room with lines for each agent. You can pick the line you want. I picked a line with 8 or 10 people in it, and an attractive young agent. It took less than 5 minutes to get to the agent. She spoke English, so no language barrier because I have minimal Spanish language skills. The agent was very nice, and only asked a couple of questions. Behind the agents, there is a large sign showing the direction (right or left) for each airline's baggage claim. JetBlue was to the right. There were two luggage carousels with signs for which baggage would be on each. It took more than 30 minutes for the luggage to start arriving. My bag arrived in about another 5 minutes. There are two exits from baggage claim, one for nothing to declare and one for stuff to declare. I had nothing to declare, so it was a quick exit. I think there was a quick x-ray scan of the bags, but I don't remember. Total of 45 minutes from deplaning until I was exiting the airport. Upon exit, the currency exchange is to the right. There were five people in line in front of me at the exchange. It took 30 minutes for me to get to the one exchange agent. I exchanged $400 US for 347.40 CUC. They only had 50's, 5's, and 1's at that exchange, so I had to go to a bank in Havana to get smaller bills. BTW, the exchange rate at the airport is lower than in town. Only 0. 75% difference, but there is no advantage to exchanging at the airport unless you need the CUC to pay for transportation.

A guy from the apartment I had rented on airbnb was at the airport with a driver when I exited. It was an easy 35 minutes ride into Havana in the Vedado section. 30 CUC for the private taxi. After arriving at the apartment, the apartment guy took me to an exchange place (Cadeca) to exchange CUC to CUP. The wait there was about two minutes. I could have exchanged US dollars there and avoided the 30 minutes wait at the airport. They would not exchange large bills for smaller bills, we had to go to a bank for that. There is a person at the bank who gives you a number depending on what you are there for. A sign displays the number for the next person in line. The apartment guy had an appointment, so he left me at the bank after getting me set up in line. Total wait at the bank was about 25 minutes, and very fast to exchange denominations of bills. They do not allow cell phone use in the bank, not even for a translation app.

That was my experience upon arrival and getting to an apartment. I was in Havana for six days. Following are some observations.

Food is very cheap at most of the locally owned restaurants, but there is not much selection of food. I think a staple of the residents of Havana's diet is sandwiches and pizza. Almost every restaurant had those two items on the menu. A large cheese pizza (about 14 inches) is $1. 25 most places. You can add ingredients for an additional small charge. The additional items are limited. Pineapple, choriza, ham, and tuna are the items I remember. There was one restaurant that had a cheese pizza for $1, but I wouldn't have eaten it. It looked like they had put cheese on the dough and put it in a microwave. The other restaurants I observed baked their pizza. I ordered pizza a couple of times from a little restaurant near the apartment and it was good. I noticed that the people order a pizza for each adult person; if two people, two pizzas. The sandwiches are called hamburgers, but there is no beef available. It is mostly ham and cheese, with very little of each, but a big bun. Another favorite food there is hotdogs. There was a little hotdog stand on Calle 23 that always had a line of people waiting. I think they must sell at least 1,000 hotdogs a day. I tried chicken at three different restaurants. Two of them were bad. It appeared the chicken had been cooked days ago and just warmed up. One was a place called Don Quijote on Calle 33. It was a ripoff. They charge $4. 95 for a chicken leg quarter with rice. Then they add 10% to the bill. No other restaurant I visited added a percentage. I found one little restaurant that sold a fresh grilled (or fried) piece of chicken breast with rice and a vegetable for 30 CUP ($1 = 24 CUP). Most places sell beer for between $1. 50 and $2.

Most of the women there must eat a lot of sandwiches and pizza, because almost all I saw had fat stomachs. Even the ones who were slim in the rest of their body had a pouch in the stomach area.

I walked Calle 23 every day and night, and observed very few working ladies. Most of the ones I observed were very dark skinned. The few light-skinned ones, except a couple, were overweight. Saturday night was obviously teeny-booper night. Calle 23 and the Malacon were overflowing with young people.

That was my first extended visit to Cuba. I was on a cruise that was there for a day and a half last year. I do not plan to return.

John Corey
01-25-18, 13:05
I arrived in Havana on JetBlue Wednesday, Jan. 17, at 10 am. There were two forms provided on the plane to be filled out, one a customs form and the other an agriculture form. Typical questions asked by most countries. The agriculture form asked the purpose of visit. I checked "Tourist" since the other selections didn't apply, and I figured Cuba wasn't sharing that info with the US.

The airport is modern with the walkways that connect the airplane and the terminal. It only took a couple of minutes after arriving at the gate for the doors to open and we were deplaning. It's a little walk to the immigration area, with signs to guide you. The immigration area is a large room with lines for each agent. You can pick the line you want. I picked a line with 8 or 10 people in it, and an attractive young agent. It took less than 5 minutes to get to the agent. She spoke English, so no language barrier because I have minimal Spanish language skills. The agent was very nice, and only asked a couple of questions. Behind the agents, there is a large sign showing the direction (right or left) for each airline's baggage claim. JetBlue was to the right. There were two luggage carousels with signs for which baggage would be on each. It took more than 30 minutes for the luggage to start arriving. My bag arrived in about another 5 minutes. There are two exits from baggage claim, one for nothing to declare and one for stuff to declare. I had nothing to declare, so it was a quick exit. I think there was a quick x-ray scan of the bags, but I don't remember. Total of 45 minutes from deplaning until I was exiting the airport. Upon exit, the currency exchange is to the right. There were five people in line in front of me at the exchange. It took 30 minutes for me to get to the one exchange agent. I exchanged $400 US for 347.40 CUC. They only had 50's, 5's, and 1's at that exchange, so I had to go to a bank in Havana to get smaller bills. BTW, the exchange rate at the airport is lower than in town. Only 0. 75% difference, but there is no advantage to exchanging at the airport unless you need the CUC to pay for transportation.

A guy from the apartment I had rented on airbnb was at the airport with a driver when I exited. It was an easy 35 minutes ride into Havana in the Vedado section. 30 CUC for the private taxi. After arriving at the apartment, the apartment guy took me to an exchange place (Cadeca) to exchange CUC to CUP. The wait there was about two minutes. I could have exchanged US dollars there and avoided the 30 minutes wait at the airport. They would not exchange large bills for smaller bills, we had to go to a bank for that. There is a person at the bank who gives you a number depending on what you are there for. A sign displays the number for the next person in line. The apartment guy had an appointment, so he left me at the bank after getting me set up in line. Total wait at the bank was about 25 minutes, and very fast to exchange denominations of bills. They do not allow cell phone use in the bank, not even for a translation app.

That was my experience upon arrival and getting to an apartment. I was in Havana for six days. Following are some observations.

Food is very cheap at most of the locally owned restaurants, but there is not much selection of food. I think a staple of the residents of Havana's diet is sandwiches and pizza. Almost every restaurant had those two items on the menu. A large cheese pizza (about 14 inches) is $1. 25 most places. You can add ingredients for an additional small charge. The additional items are limited. Pineapple, choriza, ham, and tuna are the items I remember. There was one restaurant that had a cheese pizza for $1, but I wouldn't have eaten it. It looked like they had put cheese on the dough and put it in a microwave. The other restaurants I observed baked their pizza. I ordered pizza a couple of times from a little restaurant near the apartment and it was good. I noticed that the people order a pizza for each adult person; if two people, two pizzas. The sandwiches are called hamburgers, but there is no beef available. It is mostly ham and cheese, with very little of each, but a big bun. Another favorite food there is hotdogs. There was a little hotdog stand on Calle 23 that always had a line of people waiting. I think they must sell at least 1,000 hotdogs a day. I tried chicken at three different restaurants. Two of them were bad. It appeared the chicken had been cooked days ago and just warmed up. One was a place called Don Quijote on Calle 33. It was a ripoff. They charge $4. 95 for a chicken leg quarter with rice. Then they add 10% to the bill. No other restaurant I visited added a percentage. I found one little restaurant that sold a fresh grilled (or fried) piece of chicken breast with rice and a vegetable for 30 CUP ($1 = 24 CUP). Most places sell beer for between $1. 50 and $2.

Most of the women there must eat a lot of sandwiches and pizza, because almost all I saw had fat stomachs. Even the ones who were slim in the rest of their body had a pouch in the stomach area.

I walked Calle 23 every day and night, and observed very few working ladies. Most of the ones I observed were very dark skinned. The few light-skinned ones, except a couple, were overweight. Saturday night was obviously teeny-booper night. Calle 23 and the Malacon were overflowing with young people.

That was my first extended visit to Cuba. I was on a cruise that was there for a day and a half last year. I do not plan to return.Do you mind sharing the cartegory you applied for your visa with Jet Blue? Thank you.

Fun Luvr
01-26-18, 01:48
Do you mind sharing the category you applied for your visa with Jet Blue? Thank you.Support for the Cuban people. There is another bit of information I left out of my report. Smoking is permitted in restaurants in Cuba. That is an irritant for me, just something else to weigh in favor of never returning to Cuba. There is also a correction I need to make to my report. Don Quijota, the ripoff restaurant, is on Calle 23 near Calle H, not 33.

Mondo707
01-26-18, 03:14
So, I just found one other way to increase the yield of CUCS. A member of AAA can buy Canadian dollars at the rate of 1.18 without a fee if the transaction is at least $1000. After doing the arithmetic, I see that would yield 922 CUCs in Havana instead of 870 for a USD transaction. That's a savings of $52.

BTW, I believe the penalty in Cuba is 10 percent not 20 percent, according several credible sources.Hey Ivy,

Just confirmed today and in person at a AAA location here in town. Currency exchange is NO LONGER available thru AAA.

I thought maybe this was a TGTBT thing, nonetheless I gave it a go thinking it's a way to cut down on the 10% gravamen Cuba imposes on the USD exchange.

So, a heads up to everyone here who thought as I did to go this route exchanging USD to either Euros or Loonies to cut down on that 10%.

Mondo.

John Corey
01-26-18, 13:18
Support for the Cuban people. There is another bit of information I left out of my report. Smoking is permitted in restaurants in Cuba. That is an irritant for me, just something else to weigh in favor of never returning to Cuba. There is also a correction I need to make to my report. Don Quijota, the ripoff restaurant, is on Calle 23 near Calle H, not 33.Thank you.

IvyTown
01-26-18, 16:32
Hey Ivy,

Just confirmed today and in person at a AAA location here in town. Currency exchange is NO LONGER available thru AAA.

I thought maybe this was a TGTBT thing, nonetheless I gave it a go thinking it's a way to cut down on the 10% gravamen Cuba imposes on the USD exchange.

So, a heads up to everyone here who thought as I did to go this route exchanging USD to either Euros or Loonies to cut down on that 10%.

Mondo.Mondo,

Strange, I just completed a transaction. $1000 worth of Loonies, no transaction charge and delivered to my door. Google AAA and currency transactions. You can do it online or by phone.

Mondo707
01-27-18, 06:31
Mondo,

Strange, I just completed a transaction. $1000 worth of Loonies, no transaction charge and delivered to my door. Google AAA and currency transactions. You can do it online or by phone.Hey Ivy,

Just wonder where do you live? I live in Socal (Southern California) Let me know since it seems like maybe there might be different options for different folks depending where the AAA is located.

While writing this post I again went to the AAA website and lo & behold the exchange seemed to be up and running again so went ahead and filled in the info BUT when time to check out came it DID NOT go thru.

It has a 516 area code # to call for further info. Don't know what's going on, like I said in a previous post, yesterday I went to the main office here in town and was told this service was no longer available.

Again, let us know where you are located at and if you have any other suggestion.

Mondo.

Mondo707
03-15-18, 08:54
Hey,

Thought I post this info since it might be useful to some of you here.

I've been to Cuba many times and the one thing I hate the most is the haggling with the taxis and them always trying to rip me off.

A bunch of times in the past I've rented cars and it was all a breeze for me getting around not to mention picking up chicas hitchhiking or just walking.

So, the last couple of times with the influx of tourists since Obama / Raul normalized relations it's been pretty difficult to rent out one not to mentioned the costs that have risen compare to before.

Since I mentioned in another post another bud came along this time I asked him to split cost on the rental letting him know the issues with taking taxis and moving around in Cuba.

3 weeks before the trip I tried to book a car online to no avail, so landed in Habana and just before we were to take a cab to our destination I walked across to the rental agencies there and lo and behold, YES, WE HAVE CARS FOR RENT! Walked over to my bud and headed back and rented a small Kia, 4 passenger sedan, auto trans with air and brand new.

For me the difference having a car vs taxis is like night and day. Anyways, we went to Viñales, Varadero on day trips no sweat at all and with the GPS apps on my phone I was able to navigate la Habana also. Cost wise it came to around $50 for each of us daily.

Mondo.

NamasteParis
03-15-18, 10:50
Cost wise it came to around $50 for each of us daily.You said you were 4 passengers. Which means $200/ day for a small KIA (picanto I presume)? Wow! Last month, I was quoted $170/ day for a Mercedes 200 (Cat. E), all insurances included.

Mondo707
03-16-18, 05:08
You said you were 4 passengers. Which means $200/ day for a small KIA (picanto I presume)? Wow! Last month, I was quoted $170/ day for a Mercedes 200 (Cat. E), all insurances included.Hey Nam,

What I said I rented a Kia sedan with room for 4 passengers. There were 2 of us and dollar wise it came out around $50 each a day.

Mondo.

NamasteParis
03-16-18, 09:04
Hey Nam,

What I said I rented a Kia sedan with room for 4 passengers. There were 2 of us and dollar wise it came out around $50 each a day.

Mondo.So 100 $/ day for a Kia Sedan. Good to know cars are available at the airport, without any reservation. I tried to book a car 2 months in advance, and no cars were available! (www.rex.cu, and many other sites). Even Infinite Visa and Amex Platinum concierges were not able to find one, so useless to try next time. The Cat. E Mercedes at 170 $/ day was found by a friend living there, who has connection at REX.

To anyone willing to rent a car in Cuba, you MUST rent it at a car rental agency (REX, which is the government owned), and NEVER rent a private car. PLUS make sure you take ALL insurances. Your bank card, whatever it is, does not cover everything (especially LIA and PAI).

Mondo707
03-17-18, 07:22
So 100 $/ day for a Kia Sedan. Good to know cars are available at the airport, without any reservation. I tried to book a car 2 months in advance, and no cars were available! (www.rex.cu, and many other sites). Even Infinite Visa and Amex Platinum concierges were not able to find one, so useless to try next time. The Cat. E Mercedes at 170 $/ day was found by a friend living there, who has connection at REX.

To anyone willing to rent a car in Cuba, you MUST rent it at a car rental agency (REX, which is the government owned), and NEVER rent a private car. PLUS make sure you take ALL insurances. Your bank card, whatever it is, does not cover everything (especially LIA and PAI).Hey Nam,

Yeah, the same thing happened to me. Before heading to Cuba I tried for about 3 weeks with all the sites that are online and each and every one had nada available.

It's my guess since the car I got was brand new (literally) had 47 km on the odometer, that it's by coincidence that cars were available at the time. Nonetheless, just a heads up to all mongers here interested in renting a car that if you are not able to rent one online, give it a shot once you get out of the terminal like we did before getting on a taxi.

Mondo.

EshuTheGreat8
04-09-18, 13:55
Any tips on what to look for in a casa particular and how to find girl friendly ones? I know private entrance is ideal.

Uncle Volodya
04-23-18, 07:08
I am thinking of mixing it up next trip and getting out of Havana. I heard Trinidad is a beautiful little town. But is there any action there? Worth spending the night? Should I just do it as a day trip?

Sammytheman
04-24-18, 12:21
I am thinking of mixing it up next trip and getting out of Havana. I heard Trinidad is a beautiful little town. But is there any action there? Worth spending the night? Should I just do it as a day trip?Yes it is indeed a pretty city but chicas are limited. Also I could not find a casa that lets chicas in without registration. Your best option is the casa de la musica and the cave nightclub. Go to the cdlm early and grab a table, buy a bottle of rum and invite a Cuban to join you and I'm sure he'll find you someone.

Capichon2010
05-18-18, 15:26
Hi,

I visited Cuba about two years ago, but since travel requirements have changed. Can anyone share any latest info for travelers from the USA? I heard that support for the Cuban people is the category that most people apply for. Do you have present any paperwork to support your trip when you come back at the airport? Any help would be greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Ty Down
05-18-18, 20:22
Hi,

I visited Cuba about two years ago, but since travel requirements have changed. Can anyone share any latest info for travelers from the USA? I heard that support for the Cuban people is the category that most people apply for. Do you have present any paperwork to support your trip when you come back at the airport? Any help would be greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.I was there in Havana the last week of February and couldn't tell any difference coming back to the States. When you buy your plane ticket be sure to check one of the categories that doesn't require you to travel with a guided tour group, I always travel under the Journalism category, since I already have hundreds of pics and video from former trips to Cuba.

Immigration and Customs didn't ask for any paperwork, other than my Passport, and the particular officer who questioned me was upset I didn't bring him a Cigar back from Cuba, it's all just a horse and pony show.

No worries, enjoy Cuba.

Mondo707
05-19-18, 08:56
I was there in Havana the last week of February and couldn't tell any difference coming back to the States. When you buy your plane ticket be sure to check one of the categories that doesn't require you to travel with a guided tour group, I always travel under the Journalism category, since I already have hundreds of pics and video from former trips to Cuba.

Immigration and Customs didn't ask for any paperwork, other than my Passport, and the particular officer who questioned me was upset I didn't bring him a Cigar back from Cuba, it's all just a horse and pony show.

No worries, enjoy Cuba.Just to add my 2 cents, I was there also at that time and when I came back thru customs (Miami) the agent asked me about fun times in La Habana, told him to get his ass over there. LOL.

Mondo.

Capichon2010
05-21-18, 03:36
Just to add my 2 cents, I was there also at that time and when I came back thru customs (Miami) the agent asked me about fun times in La Habana, told him to get his ass over there. LOL.

Mondo.I'm planing to visit a friend I have in Havana in December. I hope things stay the same then. Thank you guys.

NamasteParis
05-29-18, 14:34
I am thinking of mixing it up next trip and getting out of Havana. I heard Trinidad is a beautiful little town. But is there any action there? Worth spending the night? Should I just do it as a day trip?Hi UV, as I said in my long report, Trinidad is the greatest place to stay with your novia, wife and kids (much better then Varadero): very peaceful, safe colonial city, great clean and quiet beach, pedestrian roads everywhere, no pollution and noise, except salsa bands and concerts all day long at very nice open air places. Good restaurants also. But don't go there to find your night sandwich. I first intended to stay 3 nights, but ended up staying 10 days, relaxing and enjoying.

Mondo707
09-24-18, 09:02
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone here (from the USA) that's been to Cuba and back to the US has used the new passport card and did you have any issues when going thru customs?

I read somewhere, coming back from the Caribbean (and Cuba is in the Caribbean) a US citizen can use the card instead of the book. I know that coming back from T. J. It's a breeze with a card and it's so much more convenient than carrying the passport.

TIA.

Mondo.

MadisonGuy
09-24-18, 17:44
A lot of the Airbnb's have no prostitution in their rules. Is this something for show or do I avoid these places? It seems like the majority of them, or the higher end ones have this in their rules.

Tank Not Mt
09-24-18, 18:26
A lot of the Airbnb's have no prostitution in their rules. Is this something for show or do I avoid these places? It seems like the majority of them, or the higher end ones have this in their rules.This Rule needs to be specified as Prostitution is illegal; BUT normally you can have any guest join you so its not an issue typically. If you meet someone at a club or wherever and want to spend some private time with them whose to say who they are? They will require an ID card though. One thing they do frown upon is having more than one guest in your room with you at one time; but if you're discrete then it can be done.

There's an old saying in Cuba; there are 3 woman in Cuba: Pros, those who were Pros and those who will be Pros.

MadisonGuy
09-24-18, 20:58
This Rule needs to be specified as Prostitution is illegal; BUT normally you can have any guest join you so its not an issue typically. If you meet someone at a club or wherever and want to spend some private time with them whose to say who they are? They will require an ID card though. One thing they do frown upon is having more than one guest in your room with you at one time; but if you're discrete then it can be done.

There's an old saying in Cuba; there are 3 woman in Cuba: Pros, those who were Pros and those who will be Pros.I kind of thought that's what it might be. Unfortunately Cuba isn't the only place restrictive with more than 1 rule. I tried to bring 4 girls back to my hotel in DR last trip and security wasn't having it. Luckily there they have special hotels for those occasions. My buddy and I actually switched from Cuba to DR last trip because it was his first and I wanted a guaranteed great time, never being to Cuba before I didn't think it would be fair for him. Now that we got that out of the way we are going to Cuba in October to experience for ourselves. I think it will work great because we love going clubbing, we are a bit younger, and he's latin and I speak getting laid spanish so I'm hoping for a fantastic new place that's an hour flight from me and almost free. Only bummer for us is we like really really nice hotels, in DR our hotel was $300/ night each. Hopefully we can get past the casa thing because I haven't really seen any I am like damn that's a pimp pad.

Ty Down
09-24-18, 22:47
I kind of thought that's what it might be. Unfortunately Cuba isn't the only place restrictive with more than 1 rule. I tried to bring 4 girls back to my hotel in DR last trip and security wasn't having it. Luckily there they have special hotels for those occasions. My buddy and I actually switched from Cuba to DR last trip because it was his first and I wanted a guaranteed great time, never being to Cuba before I didn't think it would be fair for him. Now that we got that out of the way we are going to Cuba in October to experience for ourselves. I think it will work great because we love going clubbing, we are a bit younger, and he's latin and I speak getting laid spanish so I'm hoping for a fantastic new place that's an hour flight from me and almost free. Only bummer for us is we like really really nice hotels, in DR our hotel was $300/ night each. Hopefully we can get past the casa thing because I haven't really seen any I am like damn that's a pimp pad.There are a few super nice Casa's in Havana, we stayed at this one for a week, beautiful place.

https://www.havanacasablanca.com/

Rebel Monger
09-25-18, 00:00
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone here (from the USA) that's been to Cuba and back to the US has used the new passport card and did you have any issues when going thru customs?

I read somewhere, coming back from the Caribbean (and Cuba is in the Caribbean) a US citizen can use the card instead of the book. I know that coming back from T. J. It's a breeze with a card and it's so much more convenient than carrying the passport.

TIA.

Mondo.Google is your friend!

This is what I found: "The passport card is the wallet-size travel document that can only be used to re-enter the United States at land border-crossings and sea ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. The card provides a less expensive, smaller, and convenient alternative to the passport book for those who travel frequently to these destinations by land or by sea. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air. ".

So, if you come by land or ship, you'll be fine!

NamasteParis
09-25-18, 18:38
Only bummer for us is we like really really nice hotels, in DR our hotel was $300/ night each. Hopefully we can get past the casa thing because I haven't really seen any I am like damn that's a pimp pad.Well, you could still book at the Manzana. Cuba has also some 1300+ USD / night rooms.

https://www.kempinski.com/en/havana/gran-hotel-kempinski-la-habana/rooms-suites/suites/suite-presidential-lorca/

But there is one thing you should know. If you book a hotel, you won't be allowed any local guest, except if you checked-in together.

MadisonGuy
09-25-18, 20:31
Well, you could still book at the Manzana. Cuba has also some 1300+ USD / night rooms.

https://www.kempinski.com/en/havana/gran-hotel-kempinski-la-habana/rooms-suites/suites/suite-presidential-lorca/

But there is one thing you should know. If you book a hotel, you won't be allowed any local guest, except if you checked-in together.Damn that is nice! Finally found one. I think I have an airbnb that we are going to try on the ocean. This is a good fall back because we could do this and just have a hook up shack somewhere also. I'm guessing this place is on the US can't visit list since they don't take visa or MC. But this is closer to what I was hoping to find. Seems expensive for Cuba, but I guess supply and demand isn't helping me.

Mondo707
09-26-18, 07:21
Google is your friend!

This is what I found: "The passport card is the wallet-size travel document that can only be used to re-enter the United States at land border-crossings and sea ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. The card provides a less expensive, smaller, and convenient alternative to the passport book for those who travel frequently to these destinations by land or by sea. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air. ".

So, if you come by land or ship, you'll be fine!Hey Rebel,

Yeah, I know the saying, "google is your friend" and that's exactly were I read the info from. Only one thing stuck on my mind, when traveling to the Caribbean and coming back all you need is the passport card, guess I skipped over the part about flying.

Being here in Socal, a lot of us mongers have been using the P/C when coming back from Tijuana which is a lot better than the way it used to be by having to carry the P/B

BTW, don't buy into the hype of Google being your friend, if they didn't benefit from our searches no way it'd be free. Remember the old saying "there is no free lunch" LOL.

Mondo.

NamasteParis
09-26-18, 17:35
I'm guessing this place is on the US can't visit list since they don't take visa or MC. VISA and MC cards do work everywhere in Cuba. It just has not to be issued by USA. If you want to pay airbnb, bank cards should work. If you talk straight to the owner, or book a casa, cash is king (euros, not US dollars as they are being charged an indecent tax to be converted). Only very few business has bank card machine in Cuba. Mainly big hotels. Don't forget that these terminals of payment need internet. So you'll find them only at places where internet can be found (and work!)

MadisonGuy
10-02-18, 13:44
VISA and MC cards do work everywhere in Cuba. It just has not to be issued by USA. If you want to pay airbnb, bank cards should work. If you talk straight to the owner, or book a casa, cash is king (euros, not US dollars as they are being charged an indecent tax to be converted). Only very few business has bank card machine in Cuba. Mainly big hotels. Don't forget that these terminals of payment need internet. So you'll find them only at places where internet can be found (and work!)Are you sure it's everywhere, when was the last time you visited? I assumed it was only the government owned places, my bank said they've had many people visit Cuba and that my card will work there. I know the conversion kind of sucks, but after looking into trading out to Euro or Loonies I'd end up getting hit with close to 10% anyway so it doesn't make a lot of sense to bring other currency with me.

NamasteParis
10-02-18, 17:28
Are you sure it's everywhere, when was the last time you visited? I assumed it was only the government owned places, my bank said they've had many people visit Cuba and that my card will work thereI was there last month, and used my VISA card (from Europe) without any pb at many ATM to get cash, and at very few places at La Habana that had a terminal. If a business has a card terminal, it should always work, unless the card is from USA. And assuming it works only at goverment owned places means it works everywhere :-)

MadisonGuy
10-02-18, 20:46
I was there last month, and used my VISA card (from Europe) without any pb at many ATM to get cash, and at very few places at La Habana that had a terminal. If a business has a card terminal, it should always work, unless the card is from USA. And assuming it works only at goverment owned places means it works everywhere :-)No I meant my card won't work at government owned places. There's a list of places, mainly hotels and a few restaurants that the US state department blocks because it's owned by a communist country. Because my bank knows people have been down there I'm assuming other places have credit card machines also, or do it over the internet. I'm not really sure. That would change my plans and probably up the amount of cash I bring if I can't use a credit card anywhere.

Peaty
12-15-18, 13:27
Hey,

I like to swim and spend time at the beach daily. When I'm not at the beach, I'd like to scout for nice girls I can vibe with and spend a fee days together, I. E. Proper GFE.

I fear the scene around Havana, playas del este and Guanabo is too hardcore in that regard.

I've heard the best playgrounds are cities like Camaguey, Las Tunas, Holguin, Santa Clara and Santiago.

But of those, only Santiago seems to fit the beach bill.

So, do you have any suggestions for a beach town that can also sustain 2 weeks of mongering? Is Santiago worth the visit?

Thanks!

Peaty
12-15-18, 17:03
Hey,

For my upcoming first trip to Cuba I have a couple of questions:

1. can you buy cialis / tadalafil over the counter?

2. are airbnbs a good idea? I think it might be beneficial because they're probably not as strict about registering chicas. On the other hand, they're probably not well known by chicas and might not have cards I can hand out.

3. since very recently, it seems you can rent a SIM card for 3 CUC per day and get like 2.5 GB of mobile traffic (3 G, maybe even 4 G around havana) for 20 CUC. Does anyone have experience with that, I. E. Does the internet actually work? This seems like the best / only option to go online anywhere.

4. is whatsapp big with chicas? Or how do I best stay in contact with them?

5. how dangerous is it to mess with drugs? Can you trust a chica to score something?

6. from the reports I've read, you can get the chicas to agree to 30 CUC short time and 50 CUC long time. Is that realistic? Because on the other hand, I read chicas demanding 80 CUC for short time in havana clubs.

Thanks for any insights!

NamasteParis
12-15-18, 19:13
Hey,
But of those, only Santiago seems to fit the beach bill.

So, do you have any suggestions for a beach town that can also sustain 2 weeks of mongering? Is Santiago worth the visit?

Thanks!Don't go to Santiago for the beach. There are two beaches: siboney, and buey cabon. They are the worst I've been in my life.

Please read my report here: http://www.internationalsexguide.nl/forum/showthread.php?500-General-Info&p=2150238&viewfull=1#post2150238.

There are black pigs on the beach, eating the trash found everywhere, bands of young people with low quality music speaker, but volume at max, and they come by motorbike right on the beach, parking their motorbike at your feet! Only cuban people, and very few tourists. Cans and bottles everywhere, on the sand and in the water.

Meanwhile, girls from Santiago are very cool and easy to approach. Normal girls next door, willing to know some foreigners. Santiago has a decent nightlife too. If you take the plane with Cubana, it can take your day, as many flights are just cancelled or delayed many hours!

Trinidad is a great town, with salsa and very nice beach, but no easy mongering there. Meanwhile the best place in Cuba to relax with your GF, if you have one.

Maybe Santa Clara would fit your needs.

Ty Down
12-16-18, 02:19
Hey,

2. are airbnbs a good idea? I think it might be beneficial because they're probably not as strict about registering chicas. On the other hand, they're probably not well known by chicas and might not have cards I can hand out.

3. since very recently, it seems you can rent a SIM card for 3 CUC per day and get like 2.5 GB of mobile traffic (3 G, maybe even 4 G around havana) for 20 CUC. Does anyone have experience with that, I. E. Does the internet actually work? This seems like the best / only option to go online anywhere.

5. how dangerous is it to mess with drugs? Can you trust a chica to score something?

Thanks for any insights!# 1 - I'm not sure.

#2 - Yes airbnb, if you find a chica, she will know where to go.

#3 - Yes, there is 3 G moblie internet now. The chicas are going crazy! Also, if you're an American, some providers have recently added Cuba to their international calling packages. I know AT&T has.

#4 - CubaMessenger http://www.cubamessenger.com/?l=en.

#5 - Don't even think about drugs, if someone approaches you with drugs, run away screaming! Seriously.

BTW, I would look into Playa Cayo Coco, or Caibarien - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIm9INhHLNw.

Have fun!

Peaty
12-16-18, 11:42
Don't go to Santiago for the beach. There are two beaches: siboney, and buey cabon. They are the worst I've been in my life.
Maybe Santa Clara would fit your needs.Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely avoid Santiago then! But the Santa Clara I am looking at is more or less centered in Kuba, nowhere near a beach. I don't think it fits the bill either.

#2 - Yes airbnb, if you find a chica, she will know where to go.
#3 - Yes, there is 3 G moblie internet now. The chicas are going crazy! Also, if you're an American, some providers have recently added Cuba to their international calling packages. I know AT&T has.
#4 - CubaMessenger http://www.cubamessenger.com/?l=en.
#5 - Don't even think about drugs, if someone approaches you with drugs, run away screaming! Seriously.
BTW, I would look into Playa Cayo Coco, or Caibarien - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIm9INhHLNw.
Have fun!Hey,

thanks a lot for that helpful advice! The combination of 3 G + CubaMessenger looks very promising.

My plan would be to collect lots of numbers during the day, at the beach, in the city, in shops and at night, then filter those down via short time to a couple of girls that are open to GFE and spending a couple of days together.

Especially in the first week, I'd need to collect many numbers and for that I need a lot of contact with locals.

For your suggestion Playa Cayo Coco (or any Cayos) it seems that while they have beautiful beaches, they are rather cut off and don't give much opportunity to meet locals in shops, restaurants, night life etc. Is that true?

For your suggestion Caibarien, with a population of around 30.000, it seems to fit the bill of meeting locals but doesn't really have good beaches nearby, does it?

So, thanking all of you for your help, I want to reiterate these criteria:

* The vacation area / city should have a safe, touristy beach closeby (max. 30 mins by bus, ideally walkable), where I can buy a chair, swim daily, eat and leave my stuff without worrying about theft. The beach doesn't have to be sandy or beautiful!

* The area should be medium size (population probably 30.000), so that it has plenty of local talent, as well as shops, restaurants and clubs to explore. Ideally, most things should be within walking distance, unlike in Havana.

* There needs to be a mix non-pros, semi-pros and pros with more or less predictable "hunting grounds". I'd really like to avoid dry spells of a couple of days because, for instance, there is no action during weekdays when I couldn't collect enough numbers during the weekend.

Again, I appreciate any input on cities that fit all these criteria. I promise I won't spoil the girls or prices and will return with reports!

NamasteParis
12-16-18, 15:41
Hey,

6. from the reports I've read, you can get the chicas to agree to 30 CUC short time and 50 CUC long time. Is that realistic? Because on the other hand, I read chicas demanding 80 CUC for short time in havana clubs.

Thanks for any insights!To complete the previous answer:

1. No. Bring it.

2. On airbnb, you will find only casas particulares. Every casa particular in AirBnb will ask you to register any guest going in. But you have no choice. If first time there, airbnb is a good option.

4. They mostly use IMO in Cuba. Whatsapp very seldom.

5. You don't want to do that man.
6. Yeah that's the maximum normal price, if you know the game, and speaks spanish fluently. Cuban people are into talking a lot, so discuss, bargain, and bargain. With sense of humour and style, you could even get a "normal" girl for free (or almost). Chicas are not "spoiled" yet (except maybe in Havana), so please preserve this unique environment.

NamasteParis
12-16-18, 20:48
Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely avoid Santiago then! But the Santa Clara I am looking at is more or less centered in Kuba, nowhere near a beach. I don't think it fits the bill either.
Spend one or 2 days in Santa Clara (nice city), and then head to Cairibean or Remedios (great!)

Nice beach there.

Ty Down
12-17-18, 01:53
To complete the previous answer:

4. They mostly use IMO in Cuba. Whatsapp very seldom.

.You are absolutely right. IMO is the new thing in Cuba, you can even video chat / facetime here in the states to Cuba.

Peaty
12-17-18, 15:53
Hey,

I'm arriving at Varadero airport for my first Cuba vacation. My final goal is Guanabo. But I'm not in a hurry so I have to questions:

1. Is there anything noteworthy to see / visit on the way from Varadero airport to Guanabo? For instance, mongering for a day or two in Matanzas?

2. What transportation do I best use? Uber? Bus / Viazul? Any private taxi? What prices can I expect if I go straight from the Airport to Guanabo?

3. Is it better if I reserve a casa for the first couple of nights and let them arrange a pickup?

Cheers!

Rebel Monger
12-17-18, 22:04
Hey,

I'm arriving at Varadero airport for my first Cuba vacation. My final goal is Guanabo. But I'm not in a hurry so I have to questions:

1. Is there anything noteworthy to see / visit on the way from Varadero airport to Guanabo? For instance, mongering for a day or two in Matanzas?

2. What transportation do I best use? Uber? Bus / Viazul? Any private taxi? What prices can I expect if I go straight from the Airport to Guanabo?

3. Is it better if I reserve a casa for the first couple of nights and let them arrange a pickup?

Cheers!If your target is Guanabo, why don't you fly to Havana instead? It's closer and I bet a lot cheaper.

As for mongering, I'd say you can get lay anywhere in Cuba, all you have to do is talk to the ladies in a respectful manner and see where things go.

NamasteParis
12-17-18, 22:10
Hey,

Cheers!2. Uber does not exist in Cuba. To check the schedule and price of the bus: https://www.viazul.com For instance Varadero-Matanzas takes 45 mn and costs 6 USD.

For the taxi, you can check what price you should expect taking private taxi with smart driver + new car + on time + no late arrival + no surprise, at this link. These prices are the max you should pay. Then bargain with the local taxis, according to the car. http://taxivinalescuba.com/?lang=en&secc=transfers. For instance the same itinerary would be about 30mn and 40 USD.

3. As said before, if first time in Cuba, better airbnb at least for first nights. If you speak spanish and have the EXACT adress of your casa, you can take a taxi at the airport. If you don't want hassles, or spend time bargaining with taximen, then book the transfer with the casa, but of course they'll take their commission.

Oh and don't forget to download offline google maps before you get there.

TomJackin
02-09-19, 06:30
I'm thinking about going to Cuba. But, the rules are confusing. What box do you check on the form "Reason for travel?

Please help!

Mondo707
02-09-19, 09:32
I'm thinking about going to Cuba. But, the rules are confusing. What box do you check on the form "Reason for travel?

Please help!Hey TJ,

There are 12 options for a US citizen to pick when traveling to Cuba. Below is the list of them. You pick one before leaving for Cuba at the airport when you have to pay for your visa. Don't worry once you get your tix they will explain this.

Most people pick "help for the Cuban people".

Here is the list of options to pick:

The 12 categories of authorized travel to Cuba are: family visits; official business of the USA Government, foreign governments, and certain intergovernmental organizations; journalistic activity; professional research and professional meetings; educational activities; religious activities; public performances, help to the Cuban people.

Not to worry you'd be good to go, no problema.

Make sure you report when you get back.

Mondo.

TomJackin
02-10-19, 01:43
Hey TJ,

There are 12 options for a US citizen to pick when traveling to Cuba. Below is the list of them. You pick one before leaving for Cuba at the airport when you have to pay for your visa. Don't worry once you get your tix they will explain this.

The 12 categories of authorized travel to Cuba are: family visits; official business of the USA Government, foreign governments, and certain intergovernmental organizations; journalistic activity; professional research and professional meetings; educational activities; religious activities; public performances, help to the Cuban people.

Mondo.Thanks, I always have solid trip reports, so you can expect the same if I travel to Cuba.

So, if I check the "help to the Cuban people" do I have to show proof of something, besides that I want to chase putas?

HSendatsu
02-10-19, 04:22
Thanks, I always have solid trip reports, so you can expect the same if I travel to Cuba.

So, if I check the "help to the Cuban people" do I have to show proof of something, besides that I want to chase putas?As long as I know, you don't.

TadaiMaybe
02-10-19, 07:41
Thanks, I always have solid trip reports, so you can expect the same if I travel to Cuba.

So, if I check the "help to the Cuban people" do I have to show proof of something, besides that I want to chase putas?Theoretically, you have to be able to show evidence that your trip was truly for the purpose of "helping Cuban people ". Examples may include staying in a casa particular (do not stay in a hotel as they're almost always owned by the Cuban government), taking Spanish lessons, visits to local artists place, eating in a mom and pop restaurant, visit to a Jazz club and buy their CD, taking salsa dance lesson from a Cuban, etc etc. I wrote down the list of what I did beside the hobby and had some pics to prove in case I got the Q&A.

Mondo707
02-10-19, 08:56

So, if I check the "help to the Cuban people" do I have to show proof of something, besides that I want to chase putas?Hey TJ,

That's a good one, once I was asked coming back by an immigration officer if I had brought back anything to declare and I told him I wanted to bring back a Cubanita but wasn't sure if I was allowed to!

He just laughed and asked me to show him some pixs!

Myself, I don't keep any records of expenses, I have never heard of anyone being asked for expense receipts. YMMV

Mondo.

Mr Gogo
02-10-19, 12:04
Mondo gives great Info. It's just about playing the game. Support of the Cuban people is the box to check. Customs never asks for reciepts but grab a few and put your own dates on them. Rent Airbnb also is the best way to pay and American authorities won't ask questions. Enjoy.

Ty Down
02-10-19, 19:48

So, if I check the "help to the Cuban people" do I have to show proof of something, besides that I want to chase putas?I always check the "Journalist activities", then take a bunch of pics and videos while in Cuba. I've made 8 trips to Cuba in the last 2 years and have never been questioned by immigration's on the return trip. Well, with the exception of one immigration officer wanted to know why I didn't bring him a Cigar. .

TomJackin
02-11-19, 23:26
All solid answers, thanks a lot!

Steve 99
06-06-19, 20:12
Hey TJ,

Mondo.Any of you regular USA guys who check the boxes concerned on the new Trump rules. Did Trump Fu. K us mongers now? Have to go back through Mexico again? Or are their still going to be boxes we can check at Jetblue? I have never gone via USA. Only once through mexicso many years ago.

Ty Down
06-07-19, 12:07
Any of you regular USA guys who check the boxes concerned on the new Trump rules. Did Trump Fu. K us mongers now? Have to go back through Mexico again? Or are their still going to be boxes we can check at Jetblue? I have never gone via USA. Only once through mexicso many years ago.From what I understand, it only effects Cruise Ships, and the "People to People" category has been removed from the list. You can still book a flight from the States. At least that's my understanding.

Steve 99
06-07-19, 14:16
From what I understand, it only effects Cruise Ships, and the "People to People" category has been removed from the list. You can still book a flight from the States. At least that's my understanding.What category box do you recommend checking?

Ty Down
06-07-19, 14:44
What category box do you recommend checking?Personally I always check the "Journalist Activities" box. I've been to Cuba 9 times over the last three years and have never been questioned. Of course I do take tons of pics and video, then edit and publish to my youtube channel where I have several other videos from Colombia, Africa and of course Cuba.

Another option would be the "Support for the Cuban people" category, I think a lot of others here use that option.

Steve 99
06-07-19, 14:54
Personally I always check the "Journalist Activities" box. I've been to Cuba 9 times over the last three years and have never been questioned. Of course I do take tons of pics and video, then edit and publish to my youtube channel where I have several other videos from Colombia, Africa and of course Cuba.

Another option would be the "Support for the Cuban people" category, I think a lot of others here use that option.Do you have Global Entry? I have that and they never question you when you enter using Global Entry. Just hand the ticket to the guy. Maybe Cuba entry different.

Ty Down
06-07-19, 18:02
Do you have Global Entry? I have that and they never question you when you enter using Global Entry. Just hand the ticket to the guy. Maybe Cuba entry different.No I don't have Global entry.

Capichon2010
07-23-19, 08:11
No I don't have Global entry.Hi,

I have G. E. And I have returned to the States from Cuba before. The G. E. Allows you to do everything on the Kiosk and avoid talking to an immigration agent. In summary, it saves time from having to stand in line and you pass quickly.

Capichon2010
07-26-19, 05:56
Hi,

I'm American and planing on going to Cuba soon. I've traveled before twice in the past, but with the new Trump regulations some things might've changed. I've choosing the Support for the Cuban people like I've done in the past. Before when I came back to the airport in the USA No one would question me or check my itinerary in Cuba. Is it true that now you must keep a full daily itinerary of where you've been and done in Cuba? Are they really checking for this? Please, any info from Americans. Thank you.

Ty Down
07-26-19, 16:43
Hi,

I'm American and planing on going to Cuba soon. I've traveled before twice in the past, but with the new Trump regulations some things might've changed. I've choosing the Support for the Cuban people like I've done in the past. Before when I came back to the airport in the USA No one would question me or check my itinerary in Cuba. Is it true that now you must keep a full daily itinerary of where you've been and done in Cuba? Are they really checking for this? Please, any info from Americans. Thank you.I've been a couple times since the new Trump regulations, and to be honest, I can't tell any difference.

I did start keeping my receipts, for my Casa and from restaurants. I take a few pics to record where I have been just in case I'm ever questioned. To date, I've never been questioned. So I wouldn't lose any sleep over the new regulations.

Bleble
08-22-19, 03:43
I'm trying to see if: (1) 10 days is too long, and (2) what are the necessary items to bring. I'm traveling light (just a carryon backpack). I can also bring a checked-in luggage but I would need to pay extra for it (not sure if it's worth it to pay extra).

QCpekno
08-23-19, 07:51
All new fresh member here. I travel some but I got to admit Cuba is puzzling me. It's about the money. I was talking to a colleague about that I'm leaving soon for Cuba and as I was talking about taking currency at the airport before taking off, he explained to me that you can only get the CUC in the country itself. As I understood, the national pesos would be better for buying food at a convenient store or a beer, or also stands for souvenirs and drinks into clubs and bars. I guess I will figure out quickly as soon as I arrive. !If someone could give me some pointers on that it would be really appreciated.

But here's my main important question: What do the hookers prefer over there?

National pesos (need the cuc to convert into the national one, right?) or it's better to keep US / CA $ for sex transaction?

Thanks in advance a lot folks.

Mondo707
08-23-19, 09:32
I'm trying to see if: (1) 10 days is too long, and (2) what are the necessary items to bring. I'm traveling light (just a carryon backpack). I can also bring a checked-in luggage but I would need to pay extra for it (not sure if it's worth it to pay extra).Hey Bleble,

I go with a carry-on (21 incher) and garment bag. No issues since I tend to wear shorts (Bermuda) during the day with T-shirts and tennis shoes or slides and when going to clubs usually wear some decent shirts / pants and shoes. Take some sandals and most importantly some tennis shoes you are comfortable in since a lots of sidewalks are in bad shape. I also take a small flashlight in case lights go out or you go walking at night outside the main areas.

I usually go in January and seems the sweet spot for me is 15 days. So, I'd say 10 days will be good for you to explore (I take it this is your 1st time).

Also, if you have access to Euros exchange your $'s for them since if you take USD you'll be hit with a 10% gravamen (tax) when you exchange them to the local currency (CUC) I exchange mine here and get charged 3% and another 3% in Cuba for a total of 6%. If you take USD the hit will be in the order of 13%. So, if you do the math your exchange rate will be 94 CUC for 100 USD (when exchanged before), on the other hand if you take USD (not exchanged) you'll end up with 87 CUC for 100 USD.
One last thing about the Euro bills for you and everyone else here, make sure the bills you take are brand new and have no markings or any other form of damage. I learned this the hard way last time I was there this past January. I had a couple of 100 bills with some writing on it and the bank/cadeca refused to exchange them for me and had to go to a specific bank to get the notes exchanged into CUC, on top of that they charged me something extra for this service!

Mondo

ps Btw, since you mentioned you're going in November, it happens that throughout the year La Habana is celebrating its 500 anniversary! actually the date is on November 19. So, in case you are there on that date you'll be in luck since there are prolly tons of celebrations going on throughout the month.

Bleble
08-23-19, 12:26
Thanks for the suggestions. I have read up on Forex (will bring euros) and scams to avoid. Flashlight, water filter are on my to bring list. No need to search for water and it's environmentally friendly.

Hey Bleble,

I go with a carry-on (21 incher) and garment bag. No issues since I tend to wear shorts (Bermuda) during the day with T-shirts and tennis shoes or slides and when going to clubs usually wear some decent shirts / pants and shoes. Take some sandals and most importantly some tennis shoes you are comfortable in since a lots of sidewalks are in bad shape. I also take a small flashlight in case lights go out or you go walking at night outside the main areas.

I usually go in January and seems the sweet spot for me is 15 days. So, I'd say 10 days will be good for you to explore (I take it this is your 1st time).

Also, if you have access to Euros exchange your $'s for them since if you take USD you'll be hit with a 10% gravamen (tax) when you exchange them to the local currency (CUC) I exchange mine here and get charged 3% and another 3% in Cuba for a total of 6%. If you take USD the hit will be in the order of 13%. So, if you do the math your exchange rate will be 94 CUC for 100 USD (when exchanged before), on the other hand if you take USD (not exchanged) you'll end up with 87 CUC for 100 USD.

Ty Down
08-23-19, 16:59
Thanks for the suggestions. I have read up on Forex (will bring euros) and scams to avoid. Flashlight, water filter are on my to bring list. No need to search for water and it's environmentally friendly.I wouldn't worry about bringing a water filter, there's plenty of good water in Cuba.

I would suggest bringing a bag full of chocolate sweets along, the Chica's and the casa cleaning lady will be very grateful, they love them! I always bring a few packs of cigarettes as well, they love American Cigarettes.

Personally, I just bring US Dollars to Cuba, you can exchange Dollars on the streets, usually the private Taxi drivers can handle that for you, In my case, I know a couple Chicas who can get 95 CUC's per 100 USD, but, that's up to you. Here's a little tip. When you arrive at the airport, and you need some Taxi CUC's, there are two places at the airport to exchange money, one at the "Arrivals" (downstairs) and one at the "Departures" (upstairs). There's always a LONG line at the Arrivals Exchange, simply walk upstairs to the Departures Exchange where there will be no waiting, get your money exchanged then walk outside and catch a Taxi as they drop off travelers, thus avoiding the chaos of the Arrivals area.

The best time of year to travel to Cuba is between late October. March. The weather is more or less perfect during these months, the rest of the year is hotter than the surface of the Sun!

Have fun!!

Ty Down
08-23-19, 17:12
I'm trying to see if: (1) 10 days is too long, and (2) what are the necessary items to bring. I'm traveling light (just a carryon backpack). I can also bring a checked-in luggage but I would need to pay extra for it (not sure if it's worth it to pay extra).Most airlines will allow you to bring a small / medium backpack and a carry on, no need to check luggage if you are traveling light, which I highly recommend. Every Casa I have stayed at has a laundry service.

Adinga
10-10-19, 05:01
Can anyone tell me if Cubana airline is still in business.

I recall all flights being canceled after the 2018 crash in Havana.

I've never seen such an inefficient website.

Rebel Monger
10-10-19, 17:50

I've never seen such an inefficient website.They seem to be still operating: https://www.cubana.cu/ I wouldn't flight with them even for free.

Koki9290
10-19-19, 03:17

I've never seen such an inefficient website.I was in Jose Marti two days ago and they seemed to operating. As he said, no way I'm getting on one of those airplanes and I've flown Biman Air back in the day.

Havana927
10-20-19, 22:32
Hey guys how is Cuba for week of New Years? Airfare is a lot cheaper to Havana than most places.

Mr Gogo
10-20-19, 22:37
Hey guys how is Cuba for week of New Years? Airfare is a lot cheaper to Havana than most places.For 3 years straight I brought New years in at Sofias and had a ball. I was with a regular so can't comment on the availability of girls.

HSendatsu
10-24-19, 17:57
Does anybody know how much is the taxi from Holguin's airport to Las Tunas?

Mondo707
10-25-19, 12:08
Does anybody know how much is the taxi from Holguin's airport to Las Tunas?Hey HS,

I think your best bet would be to take the bus (Viazul), below is the link for the fares for the trip you mentioned.

Search for the place from to the place you're going on their website.

Mondo.

https://www.viazul.com/index.php?m=search

Jazzy Daddy
10-31-19, 23:33
After 10 years I'll be returning to Havana for a week. Can someone on the ground or recently returned PM me some current advise on the mood in the city and any current hot spots I should visit? Thanks in advance!

Steve 99
11-01-19, 01:30
After 10 years I'll be returning to Havana for a week. Can someone on the ground or recently returned PM me some current advise on the mood in the city and any current hot spots I should visit? Thanks in advance!Just got back. I will get something up in HAvana soon.

CherryPoprGang
11-12-19, 01:12
Just got back. I will get something up in HAvana soon.Can someone on the ground or recently returned PM me some current advise on the mood in the city and any current hot spots I should visit? Thanks in advance!

Steve, would you mind messaging me too? (I'm a new member so I don't think I can PM yet) but I'm strongly considering Cuba and would like to hear recent info about the above.

Lmk thanks!

Bleble
11-12-19, 15:39
Can someone on the ground or recently returned PM me some current advise on the mood in the city and any current hot spots I should visit? Thanks in advance!

Steve, would you mind messaging me too? (I'm a new member so I don't think I can PM yet) but I'm strongly considering Cuba and would like to hear recent info about the above.

Lmk thanks!You cannot receive PM unless you pay subscription or participate in the forum (report count plus days). That said, Cuba is unique. If you want to explore for tourism purpose, it is an eye opening. If you are looking for sex, I would recommend elsewhere (like Bogota Colombia).

CherryPoprGang
11-12-19, 19:18
You cannot receive PM unless you pay subscription or participate in the forum (report count plus days). That said, Cuba is unique. If you want to explore for tourism purpose, it is an eye opening. If you are looking for sex, I would recommend elsewhere (like Bogota Colombia).Thanks for the clarification on PM's.

I'm surprised you don't recommend Cuba for mongering. Seems like it has lots of potential, from what I've gathered.

What are some reasons that you don't recommend Cuba?

Conversely, why Colombia?

Free2
11-15-19, 19:33
I always rent a car when I go to Cuba and have seen the news lately about acute fuel shortages and line ups around the block for fuel. Going for a week next month. I am used to the gas stations closing temporarily due to lack of fuel in the past but it was never a major issue. I have driven the entire island top to bottom, East to West and love it. Getting on those Russian built highways and putting the pedal down! The police don't monitor the roads for speed outside Havana (what Cuban car can go 130 km / HR +? You just have to watch out for the cow, tractor or pedestrian.

I was wondering if anybody else has rented a car there lately and what the experience is like? Is there gas at the regular stations in Varadero, Cardenas, Havana etc?

Mondo707
11-16-19, 04:29
I always rent a car when I go to Cuba and have seen the news lately about acute fuel shortages and line ups around the block for fuel. Going for a week next month. I am used to the gas stations closing temporarily due to lack of fuel in the past but it was never a major issue. I have driven the entire island top to bottom, East to West and love it. Getting on those Russian built highways and putting the pedal down! The police don't monitor the roads for speed outside Havana (what Cuban car can go 130 km / HR +? You just have to watch out for the cow, tractor or pedestrian.

I was wondering if anybody else has rented a car there lately and what the experience is like? Is there gas at the regular stations in Varadero, Cardenas, Havana etc?Hey Free,

Here's is a link from Lonely Planet blog about recent developments in Cuba.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree********americas-cuba/cuba/cuba-s-recent-fuel-shortage-problems-for-tourist

Mondo.

p.s. Seems weird but the asterisks will not print! tried to write it down and it goes automatically to asterisks again which won't take you to the link . So, just Google it with a search related to this or go to Lonely Planet site.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com › Thorn Tree › Country forums › Cuba

Siva86
11-26-19, 11:38
Hi,

I was contemplating between Cuba and DR and finally settled on Cuba on the account of the girls.

Anyone been to a good all inclusive where they got good action? Going with some buddies and definitely open to heading out into town. Please advice. PM is welcome too.

Jazzy Daddy
11-29-19, 22:59
I arrive in Havana next week and I'll have WiFi access, is this site blocked or is it acceptable in Havana? Thanks.

Fake Nick
11-29-19, 23:34
Hi,

I was contemplating between Cuba and DR and finally settled on Cuba on the account of the girls.

Anyone been to a good all inclusive where they got good action? Going with some buddies and definitely open to heading out into town. Please advice. PM is welcome too.Veradero many have all inclusive, but is not girl friendly. I would go to DR for women.

Tank Not Mt
11-29-19, 23:41
I arrive in Havana next week and I'll have WiFi access, is this site blocked or is it acceptable in Havana? Thanks.Site is not blocked.

Tank Not Mt
11-29-19, 23:41
Hi,

Anyone been to a good all inclusive where they got good action? Going with some buddies and definitely open to heading out into town. Please advice. PM is welcome too.Read up on my posts and others.

Zeos1
11-30-19, 00:47
Thanks for the clarification on PM's.

I'm surprised you don't recommend Cuba for mongering. Seems like it has lots of potential, from what I've gathered.

What are some reasons that you don't recommend Cuba?

Conversely, why Colombia?Again. If you read this forum and the Colombia forum it should be quite clear. Cuba is not at all an easy place to do anything, not cheap really, and most of what we talk about here is illegal there.

All of which is opposite in Colombia.

TxSnake
11-30-19, 20:30
Again. If you read this forum and the Colombia forum it should be quite clear. Cuba is not at all an easy place to do anything, not cheap really, and most of what we talk about here is illegal there.

All of which is opposite in Colombia.You overlook the unusual definition that the Cuban authorities use for "prostitution". Financially providing for ONE chica that provides you with sex is not treated as prostitution. Buy lunch for several, choose the best one for the duration of you're trip and you're legal and so is she. The Cuban authorities frown on quantity, not the exchange of sex for money. Cuba can be quite enjoyable if you approach it from a different perspective.

Chris H
12-02-19, 01:22
You overlook the unusual definition that the Cuban authorities use for "prostitution". Financially providing for ONE chica that provides you with sex is not treated as prostitution. Buy lunch for several, choose the best one for the duration of you're trip and you're legal and so is she. The Cuban authorities frown on quantity, not the exchange of sex for money. Cuba can be quite enjoyable if you approach it from a different perspective.You are so right. It's all about the approach. I have been to Cubs 13 times and have also been to Columbia. Havana, IMHO, hands down is better and definitely cheaper. I was just there for 8 days 2 weeks ago, and didn't pay more than 25 cuc for some badass girls, with beautiful faces, bodies, and juicy pussy! Can't wait to return in February!

Bdb013
12-30-19, 21:34
You are so right. It's all about the approach. I have been to Cubs 13 times and have also been to Columbia. Havana, IMHO, hands down is better and definitely cheaper. I was just there for 8 days 2 weeks ago, and didn't pay more than 25 cuc for some badass girls, with beautiful faces, bodies, and juicy pussy! Can't wait to return in February!I've been to Havana s few times as well as Colombia. I liked both places. Prices are cheaper in Colombia without the policia hassle.

Vitrea
01-04-20, 14:27
I by mistake posted some ETESCA card info on Havana forum which is more appropriate here. I will try to move it.

Someone suggested to use USD and try to "Navigate" and leverage the off market trading power of USD. That would be good info to have for long term mongers.

Totally agree with couple of you that said Cuba is hard and expensive. Arguing against that is like my friend from Siberian city saying he likes living in Siberia. He like is and thrives there does not mean that it is not Hard and expensive. Cuba works for few who have put time and effort into it. I got super lucky thanks to DiavelLoco.

Re apartments. I did find an Apartment for my mongering day with wifi. They are very few. I was told that you need some sort of back Chanel connection or bribe someone for a home owner to get wifi approved in their homes.

I have zero intention of taking part in an argument here. Just stating my observations.

Vitrea
01-04-20, 15:01
Now on to the most important topic for newbies to know: WiFi.

To get WiFi access you have to buy ETESCA cards. One hour or 5 hour. Each hour is 1 CUC. No discount for buying 5.

Fastest way to buy is at Ingleterra hotel. They are a reseller for ETESCA. Cards are same as the ones you get at ETESCA office on Obispo.

The WiFi hotspots I tried suck and they are overloaded with users, slow and motivate you to shoot yourself or kill somebody.

The ETESCA cards don't work in other fancy hotel hotspots. They have their own higher priced packages. Parque central is 4 CUC per hour but comes with a soft drink. You will spend more while having coffee at Inglaterra.

Meli Cohiba is 2 CUC per hour.

Airport is 1 CUC for 30 min card.

Changing Money. I took Canadian dollars and that saved me bunch of money. Most part of my trip was with a non mongering group. (Lickynuts, please don't laugh).

Airport change place always has long lines. Bank also takes time but at least I am not at the fucking airport sweating.

The most efficient place I found is on Obispo. They are crazy efficient for commies. I chatted a cute teller and she was glad to chat and take a break. She told me it is better to bring Canadian even if it costs 3% to buy Canadian in US it is worth it because of 10% surcharge on dollar and this is on top of 3% Cuban exchange cost. Basically you buy 87.5 CUC for 100 USD sold. By selling the $100 USD and buying Canadian in a US bank and then buying CUC, I got 95 CUC. Worth it if you are changing in thousands.

BTW, she also told me that there are serious discussions of eliminating CUC this year.

HiFive1234
02-16-23, 02:29
I see many people saying they have been to Cuba 50+ times. I am just wondering do you have to buy a tourist card every single time? Am I missing something?

RainmanSahut
02-16-23, 06:08
I see see many people saying they have been to Cuba 50+ times. I am just wondering do you have to buy a tourist card every single time? Am I missing something?

YES.

You must purchase new tourist card for each trip. If flying American Airlines, you will be able to purchase tourist card at the departing gate in Miami. They setup a rolling ticket counter and process your card in a matter of minutes.

Remember you must complete migratory information form 48 hours prior to travel to Cuba.

https://dviajeros.mitrans.gob.cu/datosMigratorios

Remember, US credit cards or bank cards do not work in Cuba.

Carry cash. US Dollars work great. Exchange on black market for best exchange. Somewhere 160-200 Cuban pesos / dollar.

Your taxi driver or apartment host can help you exchange money.

Safe travels.

Be careful water. Much contaminated.

Rainman.

Mondo707
02-16-23, 09:36
I see many people saying they have been to Cuba 50+ times. I am just wondering do you have to buy a tourist card every single time? Am I missing something?It's actually a visa and most folks get it at the airport before taking the flight to Cuba. Also, every time you go back to Cuba you have to pony up for this visa.

You'll have to choose one of the categories allowing you to travel, (most folks choose the category "help for the Cuban people", as Americans are not allowed to go to Cuba as tourists. This is bc of the so call embargo as it's call here or bloqueo as the Cubans call it.
I'm guessing you live the USA, right? If you live any place else on this planet you can go as a tourist with no restrictions.

Zeos1
02-16-23, 12:45
Now on to the most important topic for newbies to know: WiFi.

To get WiFi access you have to buy ETESCA cards. One hour or 5 hour. Each hour is 1 CUC. No discount for buying 5.

Fastest way to buy is at Ingleterra hotel. They are a reseller for ETESCA. Cards are same as the ones you get at ETESCA office on Obispo.

The WiFi hotspots I tried suck and they are overloaded with users, slow and motivate you to shoot yourself or kill somebody.

The ETESCA cards don't work in other fancy hotel hotspots. They have their own higher priced packages. Parque central is 4 CUC per hour but comes with a soft drink. You will spend more while having coffee at Inglaterra.

Meli Cohiba is 2 CUC per hour.

Airport is 1 CUC for 30 min card.

Changing Money. I took Canadian dollars and that saved me bunch of money. Most part of my trip was with a non mongering group. (Lickynuts, please don't laugh).

Airport change place always has long lines. Bank also takes time but at least I am not at the fucking airport sweating.

The most efficient place I found is on Obispo. They are crazy efficient for commies. I chatted a cute teller and she was glad to chat and take a break. She told me it is better to bring Canadian even if it costs 3% to buy Canadian in US it is worth it because of 10% surcharge on dollar and this is on top of 3% Cuban exchange cost. Basically you buy 87.5 CUC for 100 USD sold. By selling the $100 USD and buying Canadian in a US bank and then buying CUC, I got 95 CUC. Worth it if you are changing in thousands.

BTW, she also told me that there are serious discussions of eliminating CUC this year.CUC is gone I'm told. And all of the past currency stuff has changed. I think there are some previous posts about it. Perhaps in the Havana section

SpacedCowboy
02-17-23, 16:42
I am planning an early March visit to Havana. There seems to be tons of well rated Air b&b's available. But Havana looks huge, what district should I concentrate on? Vedado, Old Havana, Malecon? I'm looking for a lot of safe walkable exploration, with bars restaurants, and night life.

Any suggestions to narrow my search?

Thanks for any help.

Questner
02-18-23, 02:42
I am planning an early March visit to Havana. There seems to be tons of well rated Air b&b's available. But Havana looks huge, what district should I concentrate on? Vedado, Old Havana, Malecon? I'm looking for a lot of safe walkable exploration, with bars restaurants, and night life.

Any suggestions to narrow my search?

Thanks for any help.Stay in Vedado. Explore along the Malecon into Old City during the day, and Vedado and / or Miramar at night.

FuckLife
02-18-23, 17:43
Hi, any suggestions to contact girls in Havana before arriving via internet? I mean dating site, facebook, Messenger. Thanks in advance FL.

Zizou23
02-19-23, 03:20
Hi, any suggestions to contact girls in Havana before arriving via internet? I mean dating site, facebook, Messenger. Thanks in advance FL.Bumble premium worked for me get there whatsapp number and start negociation.

John Clayton
04-18-23, 19:03
I am flying SFO to HAV. I understand that the normal procedure is to buy the entry visa in Miami. I have exactly 1:30 in MIA -- is this enough time to get the visa, or is there a chance this will f!ck up?

TomJackin
04-18-23, 20:08
I am flying SFO to HAV. I understand that the normal procedure is to buy the entry visa in Miami. I have exactly 1:30 in MIA -- is this enough time to get the visa, or is there a chance this will f!ck up?That is not a lot of time in Miami.

I got my visa online at Easy Tourist Card:

https://www.easytouristcard.com/

John Clayton
04-19-23, 03:51
That is not a lot of time in Miami.

I got my visa online at Easy Tourist Card:

https://www.easytouristcard.com/Probably mo' bettah'. Looks like an extra $15, but it's "the cheapskate what pays the most".

SwimmingFish22
04-19-23, 18:22
I am flying SFO to HAV. I understand that the normal procedure is to buy the entry visa in Miami. I have exactly 1:30 in MIA -- is this enough time to get the visa, or is there a chance this will f!ck up?If you are flying American you can buy through them online for 85 I believe.

John Clayton
04-20-23, 06:28
If you are flying American you can buy through them online for 85 I believe.Yeah, but being a poor planner and major, major procrastinator, I put it off so long I ended paying 85+overnight shipping + handling fee = $140! (I hope it gets here in time).

RainmanSahut
04-20-23, 10:36
The tourist card is sold at the gate next to boarding desk for both Holguin & Havana Flights. They work directly with gate agents. Less than 5 minutes to process transaction. They know you are coming, they have passenger list.

Happy times & Happy trip.

Also remember to complete before travel 24 hours.

https://www.dviajeros.mitrans.gob.cu/datosPersonales

Rainman.

Pacific1
05-04-23, 00:20
Are these readily available? With all the various shortages, I was wondering if it's better to just bring my own.

DarrenGap
06-08-23, 20:16
Will the US apply any restrictions or regulations on me if I travel from New York to Cuba using my British passport?

Do I need to conform to one of their "12 categories" for visiting?

Will I be able to pass immigration back into the US?

I've always travelled from Europe to Havana, so I just don't know how mad the US rules and regulations are.

Mondo707
06-09-23, 00:26
Will the US apply any restrictions or regulations on me if I travel from New York to Cuba using my British passport?

Do I need to conform to one of their "12 categories" for visiting?

Will I be able to pass immigration back into the US?

I've always travelled from Europe to Havana, so I just don't know how mad the US rules and regulations are.Hey DG,

You'll need to do the same thing we do here in the US. , choose one category for travel, most people choose: "help to the Cuban people".

Here's your country's link to your question, remember, Google is your friend, LOL.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/cuba/entry-requirements

Traveling to Cuba from the USA

US law does not permit travel directly from the USA to Cuba for tourism purposes. The law applies to US nationals and all foreign nationals who are either resident in the USA, or traveling through the USA en route to Cuba. UK nationals traveling on direct flights between the UK and Cuba, or via other countries, are unaffected by this US legislation.

Under certain conditions, travel is permitted from the USA to Cuba, including on the direct flights which operate between the two countries. Everybody traveling on these routes (both US citizens and foreign nationals) will need to comply with US law and travel for one of 12 permitted reasons/categories of travel. Tourism isnt one of these 12 permitted reasons/categories. For more information see the US Department of the Treasury website and the US State Departments travel advice for Cuba. For travel-specific questions, see the Code of Federal Regulations 31 C.F.R. 515.560 and the US Treasury Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) frequently asked questions.

Remember to post your trip report when you come back.

Mondo.

DarrenGap
06-12-23, 00:49
My plans have changed. I'm flying from Toronto to Veradero.

Just say no to the US immigration BS.

Is there any transport from Varadero to Havana?

I understand I can hire a car and driver for around $100, or maybe a carshare for much less.

Then staying in Vedado in Hav.

Last visit La Rampa was jumping but that was 2018.

Sammytheman
06-13-23, 02:57
My plans have changed. I'm flying from Toronto to Veradero.

Just say no to the US immigration BS.

Is there any transport from Varadero to Havana?

I understand I can hire a car and driver for around $100, or maybe a carshare for much less.

Then staying in Vedado in Hav.

Last visit La Rampa was jumping but that was 2018.You can try taking viazul or even ask around and take the local buses the locals take called metro. Alternatively, try to bargain with non-government taxis and see it that works. I went from Matanzas to Havana in an old Chevy with 3 other passengers and I paid I think 5 CUCs which was around 5 USD. Good luck and don't be shy to write us a trip report.

MoogieBar
01-17-24, 01:07
I'm heading to Cuba in about 8 weeks. Probably staying in the Parque Central Hotel with the tour group. Can we bring dates back to the hotel? Thanks!

Trinpaul
02-17-24, 16:45
Hello all, am hoping to travel to Cuba (my 2nd trip) in the summer and was looking to stay in Cardenas. I was told that there are recently built high rise apartments there with good sea views? Anyone know the names of these buildings or where they are in Cardenas so I can search online? Seems like a good idea to rent an 8th floor apartment, modern and good views! Thanks!

Mondo707
02-17-24, 22:53
I'm heading to Cuba in about 8 weeks. Probably staying in the Parque Central Hotel with the tour group. Can we bring dates back to the hotel? Thanks!No, specially Parque Central hotel. Your best bet would be to take your date to one of the places she knows. Yes, most of them have places you can rent for short time.

Mondo.

Mondo707
02-17-24, 22:56
Hello all, am hoping to travel to Cuba (my 2nd trip) in the summer and was looking to stay in Cardenas. I was told that there are recently built high rise apartments there with good sea views? Anyone know the names of these buildings or where they are in Cardenas so I can search online? Seems like a good idea to rent an 8th floor apartment, modern and good views! Thanks!I've thru Cardenas on the way to Varadero but never stayed there. I think the place is known for the "coches" capital of Cuba. Check the link below.

https://www.cuba-junky.com/matanzas/cardenas-casa-particulares-home.htm

Mondo.

Sam 14
02-24-24, 03:08
Hello friends. Super appreciate everyone's reports and information here. Planning a trip, can I ask please? I've read many pages back already, but want to book the flight now.

For US passport holders, is it often known of US authorities following up requesting proof of the traveler's itinerary when they stated Support for the Cuban People as their reason for travel please? Advance thanks. I'll be sure to add a report, as usual. Cuba first-timer here. ✌127996;.

Mondo707
02-24-24, 08:40
Hello friends. Super appreciate everyone's reports and information here. Planning a trip, can I ask please? I've read many pages back already, but want to book the flight now.

For US passport holders, is it often known of US authorities following up requesting proof of the traveler's itinerary when they stated Support for the Cuban People as their reason for travel please? Advance thanks. I'll be sure to add a report, as usual. Cuba first-timer here. ✌127996;.As far as I know when you come back from your trip to Cuba, I've never been asked about my itinerary or proof.

You should know that when you get your visa going to Cuba you pick "support for the Cuban People" category, that's one of 12 categories the US Gov allows for people from the US to travel to Cuba.

When you return they might ask you reason why you traveled to Cuba, then you mentioned "support for the Cuban people" and like I said there's no hardcore questioning regarding your entry back to the US, after all you did travel with a valid reason.

Mondo.

Adinga
02-24-24, 08:56
My contacts tell me that they do ask occasionally and you will need to keep records of your spending.

I would make sure you have documents from Casa proprietor detailing lodging and food bills.

I've always flown thru Cancun using Aeromexico to avoid headaches. Its not full proof by any means but I never had issues with the Authorities when landing back in the States. I've been to about 20 times.

Kutler
02-24-24, 09:30
I've thru Cardenas on the way to Varadero but never stayed there. I think the place is known for the "coches" capital of Cuba. Check the link below.

https://www.cuba-junky.com/matanzas/cardenas-casa-particulares-home.htm

Mondo.Cardenas is a bit off the beaten path, but I've had success there. Best bet in Cuba is to get a Jinetero, a male that will hook you up for a small commission.

Alternately you could rent at moto from Varadero and do the 30 minute drive once and a while. I never knew Cardenas to be on the path from anywhere.

Matansas is nearby the airport, but not between it and Varadero, as well. I never found Puta there.

I've not been to Cuba in a long time, IIRC the night scene was god awful, but the puta was friendly.

Sam 14
02-24-24, 12:28
.... I've never been asked about my itinerary or proof.... That's a big help Mondo, thank you. Doing an advanced search I found where others have said the same thing, that no one seems to get shaken down about it. Your update is comforting. 🙏🏼 I appreciate all your writing, and the other members who take the time to write. Cats like you make this a great site.

I'll spend a week in Havana, then check Cardenas / Varadero. Waitresses, sales clerks, students, anything like that is what I'll be pickin on; long as it's brown and cute. A month should be enough time to get my feet wet. I'll holler again in May to see if anyone is around.

Thanks again!

EMode
02-25-24, 02:28
I'm going to be heading to Havana at the end of March.

I have some older cell phones that I'm not using any more. A few Galaxy S5, an old Asus zenfone, sony Xperia, etc.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do with them in Cuba? Can I sell them for anything down there? Even for $100 for the lot or something. Or should I give them away as lovely parting gifts for the contestants that will be participating in my "game show"? I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks all.

Adinga
02-25-24, 05:29
Don't waist your time bringing used tech gifts -- keep it simple with clothes, perfume and cash.

Aluminosis
02-25-24, 11:29
I'm going to be heading to Havana at the end of March.

I have some older cell phones that I'm not using any more. A few Galaxy S5, an old Asus zenfone, sony Xperia, etc.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do with them in Cuba? Can I sell them for anything down there? Even for $100 for the lot or something. Or should I give them away as lovely parting gifts for the contestants that will be participating in my "game show"? I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks all.https://n9.cl/g7d2i

Customs: Maximum cell phone import: 5 (+ 1 personal).

80 CUP for each one, at the exchange rate of 1 USD /24 CUP.

Sam 14
02-25-24, 11:50
My contacts tell me that they do ask occasionally and you will need to keep records of your spending.Thank you Adinga. 🙏127996;.

EMode
02-25-24, 17:57
https://n9.cl/g7d2i

Customs: Maximum cell phone import: 5 (+ 1 personal).

80 CUP for each one, at the exchange rate of 1 USD /24 CUP.Hey Aluminosis, thanks so much for the link.

If I'm reading that right, the 80 cuc is the value they assign to the phone for import purposes. So 10 phones (5 each me and my friend) comes out to 800 cuc. That's $33 usd. Then its the 20% tax on that, so it should only cost me $6 usd to bring those phones in.

It's not even so much getting anything for the phones, but it just feels like a waste. Here at home, they'll just go to the garbage. I'm hoping that there, someone can make use out of them, even for parts.

I guess I'm asking if anyone there can even make use out of 8 or 9 year old phones? If so, then to me it's worth the $6 to take them there so they're not just garbage. Thoughts?

Adinga
02-25-24, 21:21
Mondo when you traveled to Cuba was your Visa included with the purchase of your airline ticket or did you have to purchase the visa seperatly at the airport?

EMode
02-28-24, 03:23
Hello everyone,

I'm going to set up a Badoo profile soon before my trip to Havana at the end of March. Does anyone have any tips on what should be on the profile? Annual income perhaps? 😝.

Zeos1
02-28-24, 22:06
Hello everyone,

I'm going to set up a Badoo profile soon before my trip to Havana at the end of March. Does anyone have any tips on what should be on the profile? Annual income perhaps? 😝.Annual income, now that's funny.

Mondo707
02-29-24, 05:38
Mondo when you traveled to Cuba was your Visa included with the purchase of your airline ticket or did you have to purchase the visa seperatly at the airport?When you travel to Cuba you need to get a visa and it's not included in with your airline tix. Such visa is available at the airport before you board your flight. What's included in the cost of the flight tix, is the medical insurance required by Cuba.

Mondo.

ps Here I'm referring to regulations from the USA, don't know if the same applies for travel from other countries.

Giz99
02-29-24, 13:56
Hello everyone,

I'm going to set up a Badoo profile soon before my trip to Havana at the end of March. Does anyone have any tips on what should be on the profile? Annual income perhaps? 😝.A few interesting recent pictures. Say you are interested in dating.

Set up the profile on a pc so that you can pick your location. The app will select your current location.

I would not recommend anything about income or job.

I start off asking questions and having a conversation asking about their job etc and slowly telling what I do.

You will quickly figure out who is there for P2 P or who may be interesting to see.

Practice your spanish.

EMode
02-29-24, 17:44
A few interesting recent pictures. Say you are interested in dating.

Set up the profile on a pc so that you can pick your location. The app will select your current location.

I would not recommend anything about income or job.

I start off asking questions and having a conversation asking about their job etc and slowly telling what I do.

You will quickly figure out who is there for P2 P or who may be interesting to see.

Practice your spanish.Hey Giz,

Thanks for the tips.

I was just kidding about the annual income. Nothing about work or pay is in there.

As for the location, I was able to set my own, even on my phone, by simply turning off the location feature so the app was forced to ask for my location instead.

I will have to take some "interesting photos" since I don't really have any pics of myself. I'm not really a picture kind of guy.

I'll be jumping into the app over the next few weeks and I'll definitely leave a report once I'm back. Thanks again!!

Jcivada
03-11-24, 06:19
So what happens if you admit to meeting up with somebody when entering? What do they do? I'm afraid of getting the third degree eventually.

HSendatsu
03-11-24, 19:19
So what happens if you admit to meeting up with somebody when entering? What do they do? I'm afraid of getting the third degree eventually.Nothing at all- You'll be asked wether you will stay at her house or not. If you aren't, you will need yo say where you'll lodge. And if you stay at her's, you'll need a family visa (you can exchange your tourist visa for one when you are there.).

Rebel Monger
03-19-24, 01:08
...If I'm reading that right, the 80 cuc is the value they assign to the phone for import purposes...It's not 80 CUC but 80 USD!

Zeos1
03-20-24, 00:05
It's not 80 CUC but 80 USD!And the CUC does not exist anymore anyway. The currency is CUP, cuban pesos. The convertible peso was discontinued a couple of years ago.

Big Zozo Intl
03-28-24, 14:32
Going to ask a dumb question. Does the airline health insurance cover the Cuban insurance? I will be traveling with AA and on my receipt it says it has Cuba health insurance. Again know its a dumb question but I prefer to be safe.

Mondo707
03-29-24, 02:06
Going to ask a dumb question. Does the airline health insurance cover the Cuban insurance? I will be traveling with AA and on my receipt it says it has Cuba health insurance. Again know its a dumb question but I prefer to be safe.I posted about this issue before. To answer your question, on your ticket you should see a list all charges, taxes, etc. One of the charges is for insurance required by the government in Cuba.

A piece of advice, take a screen shot of your ticket that's legible on your phone and in case you need med attention this is what you need to show.

That's what I do and believe me it comes in handy when / if you need med attention.

Mondo.