PDA

View Full Version : Restaurants in Bangkok

Giotto
01-27-09, 08:31

Member #3428
01-27-09, 08:50
Of course you got LL which has to be #1 :)

Some others and no particular order... Mostly I stay around Sukhumvit Soi 8 to Soi 33... I have some higher end Thai places that work took us out to that I'll try to dig up those names... But warning... I'm just a fat old farang who has no taste in food and the TGF really prefers Isan foods over other items....

Suda on Soi 14... cheap outdoor type local thai dishes, decent place, can get away with a meal for 300 baht or so...

Cabbages and Condoms on Soi 12 is not really that good but seems to be almost an institution

Le Dalat soi 23 serves vietnamese dishes

Larry's Dive soi 22 is 100% American type / mexican type dishes, nothing that great

Zanotti for Italian

Chote Chitr for Thai food

Maha Naga was enjoyable for me

Koi for Japanese Soi 20

That's about all I remember off the top of my head but atleast it will start the flame wars and arguments ;)

Fredje1961
01-27-09, 08:58
Of course you got LL which has to be #1 :)

That's about all I remember off the top of my head but atleast it will start the flame wars and arguments ;)To start the flame wars in earnest: Scirocco on top of State Tower.

NicFrenchy
01-27-09, 09:37
Tansak KTV,

No flame wars, just that I love my food and am very picky. this is not to say that I do not like Street food, I love it: Soi 11 has a great shop and Soi 22 makes one of the tastiest Som Tam.

Le Dalat Soi 23 is a Very good Vietnamese Restaurant and I would highly recommend it. The decor is fantastic and the thing NOT to miss is the Toilet! (those of you who have visited will know what I am talking about)

Cabbages & Condom = Tasteless Thai Food for Tourist Palate. If you're fresh off the plane, then this is a great place because the food is adapted to foreigners. You will never see Thais in there (unless invited by Farangs).
The Profits go to Aids Research so it is a place I would recommend. Also, they hand you Free condoms with the check instead of candies.

Member #3428
01-27-09, 09:42
Soi 22 makes one of the tastiest Som Tam.

As the current TGF lives on Soi 22 I agree that there is some GREAT street food there...

Horntoad
01-27-09, 10:47
I like Natong Seafood close to Caribbean in Ming Jai. Very inexpensive and they also have entertainment every night.

Member #3428
01-27-09, 10:52
Cabbages & Condom = Tasteless Thai Food for Tourist Palate. If you're fresh off the plane, then this is a great place because the food is adapted to foreigners. You will never see Thais in there (unless invited by Farangs).

The Profits go to Aids Research so it is a place I would recommend. Also, they hand you Free condoms with the check instead of candies.

That's the point.. that's why it's kind of an institution IMHO... Said it wasn't that good but they have a hook and draw in what they are about. Hell even McDonalds and Sizzler is better but I still throw a few baht there once a year but I never go running back there for the food ;)

Centaurus
01-27-09, 11:00
I go to the Landmark for some light lunch dim sum à la carte ... but there must be better places?

I like dim sum nearly as much as flowers!

======================================

Hi Centaurus,

Please do not mention the word "flower" or "flowers" in your reports any more :) .

Thanks,

Giotto

Horntoad
01-28-09, 06:40
I go to the Landmark for some light lunch dim sum à la carte ... but there must be better places?

======================================

Hi Centaurus,

Please do not mention the word "flower" or "flowers" in your reports any more :) .

Thanks,

Giotto

Shangril La has a dim sum buffet that is very good for around 550baht. If you are around sukumvit area then the Ambassador has one for around 350 baht.

NicFrenchy
01-28-09, 06:49

No need to go as far as Ambassador or Shangri-la

Just head to JW Marriott Soi 2 (Ploenchit). They have a nice Buffet with Dim sum (all you can eat). Dim sum are Big and very tasty

Horntoad
01-28-09, 10:46
No need to go as far as Ambassador or Shangri-la

Just head to JW Marriott Soi 2 (Ploenchit). They have a nice Buffet with Dim sum (all you can eat). Dim sum are Big and very tasty

I like the buffets at the marriott for dinner. How much varieties of dim sum do they have? The ones I mentioned are all dim sum.

Seeko
01-31-09, 16:50
What to do after an afternoon Oily and before Happy Hours on Soi 33?

Go to Novotel Lotus on Soi 33 and treat yourself to an assortment of delicious pastries and a decent selection of tea/coffee, 'til 5pm. All you can eat. 234 Bt Nett.

http://www.novotellotus.net/jan/Hi%20Tea%20Buffet.html

The waitresses aren't bad looking either, but alas they were too busy for a chit-chat. Sometimes, students or office workers would stop by for a snack. Nice eye-candy to get you ready for LL's Sports Bar or more MP's.
:)

NicFrenchy
02-02-09, 02:46
What to do after an afternoon Oily and before Happy Hours on Soi 33?

Go to Novotel Lotus on Soi 33 and treat yourself to an assortment of delicious pastries and a decent selection of tea/coffee, 'til 5pm. All you can eat. 234 Bt Nett.

You know, I always wondered about that one, but a buddy told me the food quality was way below Average. Somehow I always wanted to try it because I like their Dim Sum restaurant. I'll check it out then, Thanks for the heads up

Centaurus
03-24-09, 04:19
The Baan Tawan Kaiyang restaurant is opposite of Soi 10 on Ekamai, and I like it for a low profile, atmospheric Thai restaurant. It's a mostly open place, slow Thai life music, cute beer-promotres, waiters don't understand much English but make the effort. It's one of these places where they put the ice in the beer instead of the opposite. Mostly a mixed Thai clientele with maybe a few expats.

It's across the street from the Healthland Spa, which is a legit upscale massage and spa that was recommended to me first by a Toolips girl.

Nice program:

Pick flowers from 2 to 4. Leave flowershop grinning and with shaky legs.

Proceed to Healthland. Thai massage from 4:30 for 2 hours. Legs are now jelly. Grin has turned into a happy smile.

Cross street to Baan Tawan Kaiyang at 7. Half a chicken, sticky lice, 1 large Singha. Smile goes back to big grin, sanouk.

Proceed to place of choice at 9, e.g. Sharks. Happy sanouk grin reduces LT-fee by one third :D

1Ball
04-19-09, 18:28
Hi guys, I have a few hours in between flights in a couple of weeks. I land at Suvarnabhumi at 19.30, and leave again at 00.40.

Can anyone suggest an area to go, not too far from the airport, where we can go and get a nice meal? A typical outdoor Thai retaurant type of place would be great, or an area close by that has good street food?

Thanks

1Ball

Giotto
04-21-09, 04:34
Hi guys, I have a few hours in between flights in a couple of weeks. I land at Suvarnabhumi at 19.30, and leave again at 00.40.

Can anyone suggest an area to go, not too far from the airport, where we can go and get a nice meal? A typical outdoor Thai retaurant type of place would be great, or an area close by that has good street food?

Thanks

1BallMr. VP,

Sorry, I have no idea about restaurants close to the new airport.

The nearest I know is Ton Thong, Tom's restaurant, close to Rama 9 / Ramkhamhaeng. But - that's still a 20 min. drive from the airport - with all possible traffic jam consequences on Rama 9.

Giotto

El Frances
04-22-09, 20:11
May I recommend one of my favorite restaurant in Bangkok, where you can eat issan food without risking to get sick.
Issan house is around the end of soi nana, in a small street on the left: 117 Soi 4 Sukhumvit Rd, Khlong Toei, Khlong Toei, Bangkok, 10110. You can eat inside with aircon, but the best is to sit outside as they have a very nice terrasse. They also have an Issan band and two dancers to entertain customers. They serve excellent traditional Issan food and a few other northern food dishes, such as the famous Chang Mai sausage. It can be a bit expensive if you order too much food and bier.
It is a nice and rather classy place, and is ideal place to invite a GF, Thai or not. As it is much better to sit outside, just make sure it doesn't rain!

PS I read some recommendations about Dalat restaurant, personnaly I wouldn't recommend it, expensive and not excellent.

Traveler1234
04-22-09, 20:15
Mr. VP,
But - that's still a 20 min. drive from the airport - with all possible traffic jam consequences on Rama 9.
Giotto

Radisson Hotel is on Rama 9, I can usually get to airport under 25 minutes. They have a nice buffet on the first floor, if that is something you might fancy?

Nvslim
05-21-09, 11:40
I was looking over the L.L. website and did NOT see a breakfast menu.

Any chance you serve grits?

Slim

Giotto
05-21-09, 17:21
I was looking over the L.L. website and did NOT see a breakfast menu.

Any chance you serve grits?

SlimNvslim,

Breakfast? I never have breakfast ...

Grits? What is that?

Giotto

Slylock
05-21-09, 17:46
Nvslim,

Breakfast? I never have breakfast ...

Grits? What is that?

Giotto

Breakfast - Eating food in the morning instead of pussy. (Merriam Webster 12th Edition)

Grits - Common STD suffered by Mongers that frequent Beach road.

Hopes that helps!

Slylock

Giotto
05-21-09, 19:44
Breakfast - Eating food in the morning instead of pussy. (Merriam Webster 12th Edition)

Grits - Common STD suffered by Mongers that frequent Beach road.

Hopes that helps!

SlylockSlylock,

Thanks. Now I know why I don't have breakfast in the morning, I prefer ... what the hell :) .

Grits: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grits

Oh my god. In the morning. PORRIDGE like ...

Nahhh ....

No, we don't serve GRITS. We will never serve GRITS. We offer breakfast, but no GRITS. If somebody wants GRITS - there will most likely be other places that serve GRITS. LL does not. LL will not.

PORRIDGE!!!!

What's about Baked Beans :D ?

Giotto

Kiwi 69
05-21-09, 20:03
Slylock,

No, we don't serve GRITS. We will never serve GRITS. We offer breakfast, but no GRITS. If somebody wants GRITS - there will most likely be other places that serve GRITS. LL does not. LL will not.

GiottoThank you Giotto! Please name and shame any place that does.

Slylock
05-22-09, 04:04
slylock,

thanks. now i know why i don't have breakfast in the morning, i prefer ... what the hell :) .

grits: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/grits

oh my god. in the morning. porridge like ...

nahhh ....

no, we don't serve grits. we will never serve grits. we offer breakfast, but no grits. if somebody wants grits - there will most likely be other places that serve grits. ll does not. ll will not.

porridge!!!!

what's about baked beans :d ?

giotto

god bless wikipedia!

but you should try grits with some fresh home made butter plopped on top! yummm yumm! heart attack in a bowl.

my daddy was from homer, louisiana and had grits every morning with a big, whole, peeled white onion he would eat like an apple. got to love southern people. you could put this on the menu and call it 'southern delite' sorta like turkish delite, lol.

baked beans for breakfast, i think you have been in asia too long! i bet you put sausages (hot dogs) on the plate with two pieces of dry toast?! i only have baked bean (normally pork and beans) for breakfast when on the cattle drive. (long stories, but yes i spent many years on my dads cattle ranch)

i still can not read your menu after 8 months.

NicFrenchy
05-22-09, 08:11
For the Gourmet only..

http://www.cookingwithcum.com/

Nvslim
05-22-09, 12:15

PORRIDGE!!!!

Giotto

Being a Southern bred, redneck living on the West Coast of U.S., I do miss my grits and a good buttermilk biscuit. Grits are good with "redeye gravy" made with country ham drippings and Jack Daniels.

Thanks for playing along, the forum was a little slow and being a bit silly, thought I would ask. Hope to get to LL one of the days.

Slim

Centaurus
05-22-09, 14:13
For the Gourmet only..

http://www.cookingwithcum.com/La haute cuisine française ... I knew you'd come up with more things to be proud of!

:D

NicFrenchy
05-26-09, 02:22
Just continuing the conversation started in the "Racism against Foreigners" Thread:

OTH nails it again!

1. Italian food is way more than Pizza & Pasta. I have been fortunate enough to have been in Italy and they hardly ever eat Pizzas or pasta (maybe as an appetizer or to accompany meat).
Going there with Italian friends I had the pleasure of going to very good restaurants and also to small taverns where they cooked a lot of meats & Vegetables.
I had a fantastic Risotto with Lamb, Eggplant Parmiggiana, Veal and some very tasty seafood and fishes.

2. Thai Food. First of all let me say that I enjoy a lot of Thai dishes but to go as far as to say that the food is healthy? no chance.
White rice has no nutritional value and is very high GI (raises blood sugar), most fried veggies, eggs and meats are done in Hydrogenated oils (pure evil for your body). Soups are sparkled with Sugar and other sauces (some of which contain High Fructose corn syrup, yet another evil).
Thai Food is not healthy at all and the worst of it all has to be som tam: Black crab (very un-hygienic), sweet sauces, sour sauces, sugar, chillies

People may think that Thai food is healthy because most Thai people are thin, well they are thin because they eat very little (although they eat very often).

3. French Food.... ah, my oh so favourite topic LOL
I am not going to boast and they French food is the best but if it isn't, then it's awfully close. The variety of ingredients used, the freshness of produce.
Rustic French cuisine is amazingly good (but not very healthy).

Many European countries can also cook and produce amazing food, Spain, Greece, Portugal, England, Switzerland. Sorry, I have been to Germany and did not find local food very good there.

On another note, out of All asian "cuisines", I find vietnamese food to be quite refined, Indian food to be colorful and flavourful, Chinese food to have interesting textures but a lack of taste.

It is my opinion anyway.

Member #4698
05-26-09, 02:45
Just continuing the conversation started in the "Racism against Foreigners" Thread:

OTH nails it again!

1. Italian food is way more than Pizza & Pasta. I have been fortunate enough to have been in Italy and they hardly ever eat Pizzas or pasta (maybe as an appetizer or to accompany meat).

Going there with Italian friends I had the pleasure of going to very good restaurants and also to small taverns where they cooked a lot of meats & Vegetables.

I had a fantastic Risotto with Lamb, Eggplant Parmiggiana, Veal and some very tasty seafood and fishes.

2. Thai Food. First of all let me say that I enjoy a lot of Thai dishes but to go as far as to say that the food is healthy? no chance.

White rice has no nutritional value and is very high GI (raises blood sugar), most fried veggies, eggs and meats are done in Hydrogenated oils (pure evil for your body). Soups are sparkled with Sugar and other sauces (some of which contain High Fructose corn syrup, yet another evil).

Thai Food is not healthy at all and the worst of it all has to be som tam: Black crab (very un-hygienic), sweet sauces, sour sauces, sugar, chillies

People may think that Thai food is healthy because most Thai people are thin, well they are thin because they eat very little (although they eat very often).

3. French Food.... ah, my oh so favourite topic LOL.

I am not going to boast and they French food is the best but if it isn't, then it's awfully close. The variety of ingredients used, the freshness of produce.
Rustic French cuisine is amazingly good (but not very healthy).

Many European countries can also cook and produce amazing food, Spain, Greece, Portugal, England, Switzerland. Sorry, I have been to Germany and did not find local food very good there.

On another note, out of All asian "cuisines", I find vietnamese food to be quite refined, Indian food to be colorful and flavourful, Chinese food to have interesting textures but a lack of taste.

It is my opinion anyway.Can’t disagree with anything said here.

Great cuisines of the world: French, Italian, Indian, Thai, Chinese, Japanese. Of these the healthiest is Japanese. But I don’t care. I live to eat not eat to live.

And I love Thai food. I can’t get enough of it when I am in Thailand breakfast, lunch, and dinner. My favorite restaurants in BKK include Chote Chitr, Ran Dern, Raan Jay Fai, Nai Sow, bussaracum, and for a splurge sala rim Naam (oriental hotel) located on the opposite bank of The Chao Phraya River.

Giotto
05-26-09, 05:36
NicFrenchy,

What????

German food is extraordinary!

We eat things like "Knipp" and "Kohl und Pinkel" in the North! In the center of Germany people eat "Handkaese mit Musik". And the southern hill tribes know dishes like "Weisswurscht" and "Haxen"!

That's German "Haute Cuisine"!

Giotto

NicFrenchy
05-26-09, 07:22
NicFrenchy,

What????

German food is extraordinary!

Hahahahahaha, I knew I could get you to respond here.

Well, I have been to Hamburg, Munich, Koeln, Frankfurt and the so called "local" food we got served there was wayyy too rich adn not appealing.

I must have been eating the wrong stuff then.

GoodEnough
05-26-09, 11:47
Can’t disagree with anything said here.

Great cuisines of the world: French, Italian, Indian, Thai, Chinese, Japanese. Of these the healthiest is Japanese. But I don’t care. I live to eat not eat to live.

And I love Thai food. I can’t get enough of it when I am in Thailand breakfast, lunch, and dinner. My favorite restaurants in BKK include Chote Chitr, Ran Dern, Raan Jay Fai, Nai Sow, bussaracum, and for a splurge sala rim Naam (oriental hotel) located on the opposite bank of The Chao Phraya River.
No argument at all with these selections, but I think I might add Vietnamese to the list, if only for the fusion of French and Asian cooking and the extraordinary blend of complementary flavors. I love Sala Rim Naam as well.

Duniawala
06-01-09, 16:01
Would love to see a list of cheap but good places to eat in Bangkok. Not street foods.

To start I have a couple. Robinsons (Sukhumvit) food court. Can have good satisfying meal under 100B. Also the corner restaurant (Suk Soi 15) where pretty much all the dishes are 100 B. Flies no problem. :D

Centaurus
06-02-09, 07:28
Would love to see a list of cheap but good places to eat in Bangkok. Not street foods.

To start I have a couple. Robinsons (Sukhumvit) food court. Can have good satisfying meal under 100B. Also the corner restaurant (Suk Soi 15) where pretty much all the dishes are 100 B. Flies no problem. :D
Central Chidlom Foodhall: Luxury hawker center with quick good mixed Asian food stalls. Tasty and cheap food. Even tastier women (lookie lookie only, correct, OTH?).

Wonderful place for lunch.

Opebo
06-04-09, 20:07
It seems appropriate for a lot of patrons of prostitutes to discuss food in depth - one would like to believe we are hedonists in all areas of life. Of course I eat mostly Thai food in Thailand for several reasons - it is cheap, available everywhere, and mostly pretty good. However when I can I do enjoy European food - my favorites are German and French. I don't really like Italian food. Middle eastern/mediterranean foods would be my next favorites.

But let me be the first to admit - the food in my sad homeland is mostly discreditable. I did have a little truly good barbeque when visiting recently, but mostly my month home was notable for only one gastro phenomonen - astounding flatulence! Disappeared immediately upon return to Thailand.

Member #3428
06-04-09, 23:30
It seems appropriate for a lot of patrons of prostitutes to discuss food in depth - one would like to believe we are hedonists in all areas of life.

We need energy to continue our screwing abilities....

but mostly my month home was notable for only one gastro phenomonen - astounding flatulence! Disappeared immediately upon return to Thailand.

Never thought about this but you are amazingly correct. I do not have flatulence in Thailand....

Since this is the food thread... went to a restaurant and no clue what the name was, but it is a white building (converted home) past SUDA up Soi 14 on the left hand side. Sitting upstairs on the balcony you can look over at Suda. Food was above adequate, service was good, price reasonable but not low end like Suda, all in all a very nice night to sit outside on the balcony and relax with friends.

For the smokers out there (not me), one of our party was a smoker and he could smoke on the balcony while we had dinner which made it more enjoyable for him.

Basically eating out recently I had some really BAD food at some various restaurants. Vendor food was much better then the swill that was served in some locations recently.

Duniawala
06-05-09, 19:00
Pardon my ignorance, but what's SUDA?

Member #3428
06-05-09, 21:04
Pardon my ignorance, but what's SUDA?

http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/showpost.php?p=840676&postcount=2

Slow ass service especially if you order multiple dishes... if you order three dishes you could have eaten two of them and still waiting on the third. But it's decent food and cheap. Many local foreigners eat there.

Member #4698
06-05-09, 22:54
First went to Suda after I read an article entitled "Bangkok's Finest Restaurants" by STAN SESSER in the Wall Street Journal. The year was 2002. The restaurant was packed (mostly foreigners) and I got to say, I was not impressed. It was very average Thai food. There was NO Flavor; no life to the dishes. Too bad because Sesser can get it right sometimes, but not in this case.

I went back to Suda in 2005 with some friends to give the place one last try. It was the same. 2 stars out of 5. It's not terrible food and you won't get sick eating here. But you might as well be eating at a neighborhood Thai restaurant in Miami. Mediocre.

Member #3428
06-05-09, 23:33
The restaurant was packed (mostly foreigners) and I got to say, I was not impressed. It was very average Thai food. There was NO Flavor; no life to the dishes.

By far it is not a top restaurant, have no clue how they made it into that list. But it's cheap and decent. In that neighborhood, what do you have to eat at? There is that restaurant on the corner of Soi 5 and Sukhumvit and a few others. But in that area from Soi 4 down to Asoke what do you have where you can get a sit down meal that is decent food for a few baht?

I surely would NEVER classify and never reported it had fine cuisine. But if your in the area and hungry it's a decent place to eat.

Member #4698
06-06-09, 00:45
But in that area from Soi 4 down to Asoke what do you have where you can get a sit down meal that is decent food for a few baht?This is an excellent question and I would like to see lots of suggestions/answers to it. A couple places I recommend are:

Ran Dern on Soi 22 (near Asok) - great food not too expensive. I go there a lot.

One night after a great session with a little hottie from Baccara, it was around 11:30, I went to Ran Dern to get a late night supper but it was closed. Another restaurant on the same side of the street (soi 22) was open and had a few customers so I stopped in. Not bad. I liked the place, unfortunately I can't remember the name, but it's about a block before you get to Ran Dern.

A small interesting Isan style restaurant is Krua Rommai, 16 Sukhumvit soi 36. This is a funky little place that serves some great barbecued chicken and larb.

Pita123
06-06-09, 10:03
http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/showpost.php?p=840676&postcount=2

Slow ass service especially if you order multiple dishes... if you order three dishes you could have eaten two of them and still waiting on the third. But it's decent food and cheap. Many local foreigners eat there.

Also many local office workers eat lunch there. Worst time to visit as the service is even slower. Best to get there at say 11:30AM or between 2-4PM.

Central Chidlom Foodhall: Luxury hawker center with quick good mixed Asian food stalls. Tasty and cheap food. Even tastier women (lookie lookie only, correct, OTH?).

Wonderful place for lunch.

Are you talking about the Food Loft (http://www.central.co.th/foodloft/index_en.html) on the top floor? I especially like the Tom Yum with River Prawns. They have the same setup in Zen at Central World.

Centaurus
06-06-09, 10:43
Are you talking about the Food Loft (http://www.central.co.th/foodloft/index_en.html) on the top floor? I especially like the Tom Yum with River Prawns. They have the same setup in Zen at Central World.
Yup, I mixed that up. I like the Central World one, called Foodhall, above the cinema, better than the Foodloft at Central Chidlom.

Pita123
06-25-09, 20:28
Since this is the food thread... went to a restaurant and no clue what the name was, but it is a white building (converted home) past SUDA up Soi 14 on the left hand side. Sitting upstairs on the balcony you can look over at Suda. Food was above adequate, service was good, price reasonable but not low end like Suda, all in all a very nice night to sit outside on the balcony and relax with friends.

For the smokers out there (not me), one of our party was a smoker and he could smoke on the balcony while we had dinner which made it more enjoyable for him.

Sukhumvit House Number 1 Restaurant
1 Sukhumvit 14
Tel: 02 653 3900-2
http://www.skv1.com/home/home.html

High Five
07-12-09, 08:45
Best street side noodles I had in BKK.

I know the thread states restaurants, but the noodles are too damn good.

On Sukhumvit, Soi 1. Food court with a huge green tent. Direct front center, man with a cap will work his magic. There is a menu with pictures, but I just point to which noodles I want from the 3 choices, & he'll hook up a bowl with fried wontons in them for B40. The rice dishes are not good.

I killed 3 bowls in 1 setting for dinner 1 night, & I only weigh 145 pounds.

Terry Terrier
12-17-09, 00:26
Haven't spent much time in Bangers in the last few years, and have generally been disappointed with my nosebags in this big, grimy place for just about every reason imaginable.

On my last trip, I decided to take some family and friends for a first visit (for all of us) to C & C. I know, I know, it's a tourist trap and the food is dumbed down for said tourists, I read all about it before.

Well, we went anyway. First impression, we were seated in the garden and it's a lovely setting. Some of our party are Thai, and our food was ordered accordingly. The only dish that disappointed in this respect was the minced pork salad, which came without pork rind and was spiced to suit a three month old baby. The yum pla duk foo was outstanding, and several other dishes were very good.

They even had my fave Sangsom Set at 200bt here. I like these prices in BKK.

Recommended for a medium-priced hi-qual night out in Bangkok's Lower Suk district

NicFrenchy
12-17-09, 01:48
Recommended for a medium-priced hi-qual night out in Bangkok's Lower Suk district

Actually it isn't really tasty in there. It's fantastic food for first time tourists but there is no way an Expat's palate will qualify the food as Great.

The only appealing thing is that they give you free condoms... but you might want to try them at your own risk. Probably made in china and too small for a normal dick.

Minuteman
12-17-09, 16:41
A new Mexican restaurant opened on Soi 14 called Los Cabos. A really nice American from San Diego is the owner.

This may be the best Mexican food you can get in Bangkok. It isn't as good as what you'll get in Texas or Southern California. But it is pretty good.

Great hand shaken margaritas served in a very nice outdoor bar area. A very comfortable place to drink and eat.

It is directly across from Suda, a Thai restaurant previously discussed in this section.

Terry Terrier
12-17-09, 23:48
Actually it isn't really tasty in there......
Actually it is really tasty in there if they cook the food Thai style for you (the larb moo that I mentioned in my previous report excepted, which was clearly a kitchen fuck-up).

.....there is no way an Expat's palate will qualify the food as Great.....

Some of our party are Thai, and our food was ordered accordingly
Next time I'm in Paris I'll seek the advice of a Thai expat about great local cuisine :D.

they give you free condoms... but you might want to try them at your own risk. Probably made in china and too small for a normal dick.
Agreed. We blew them up into balloons and gave them to the kids to play with.

NicFrenchy
12-18-09, 01:45
Next time I'm in Paris I'll seek the advice of a Thai expat about great local cuisine :D.

You know one thing I love about you TT, is that you have very good repartee. You can take a joke and a little sarcasm.
On the Thai expat thing.. all I can say is: "touche"

Ralph Kramden
01-02-10, 07:31
I ate the coiled up German sausage smothered in onions with mashed potatoes and creamed cauliflower (sorry I forgot the menu name). It was very tasty and I would highly recommend it. The service was attentive too. Sorry I missed you Giotto but you were busy with four guests next to the pool while I was there. I left my name and regards with the lady at the side desk.

Giotto
01-02-10, 07:41
I ate the coiled up German sausage smothered in onions with mashed potatoes and creamed cauliflower (sorry I forgot the menu name). It was very tasty and I would highly recommend it. The service was attentive too. Sorry I missed you Giotto but you were busy with four guests next to the pool while I was there. I left my name and regards with the lady at the side desk.Ralph Kramden,

Ahh, it was you. Got the message that someone from the forum named "Graf ????" had asked for me :) ...

Sorry, that we missed each other. Please send a PM next time before you get over here - I will be there then :) .

Giotto

Fon Tok
02-15-10, 04:52
A new Mexican restaurant opened on Soi 14 called Los Cabos. A really nice American from San Diego is the owner. This may be the best Mexican food you can get in Bangkok. It isn't as good as what you'll get in Texas or Southern California. But it is pretty good. Great hand shaken margaritas served in a very nice outdoor bar area. A very comfortable place to drink and eat. It is directly across from Suda, a Thai restaurant previously discussed in this section.Based on this report and another recommendation, I went to Los Cabos last week. It's was easy to find as it's on a little side soi right next to the Asok BTS station. Great old building, friendly attentive staff, but unfortunately, I thought the food was less than so-so.

We had the Rock Lobster special and I would not order it again -- salad was warm, rice dry, and the loster had little taste. And, despite listing tortillas as part of the special, even though I said "aren't they included," I was charged for them (65 baht).

I might stop by here for a beer or some nachos, but I won't go back for dinner.

Vinny_Viagra
03-05-10, 20:15
I live in Massachusetts, USA. there are many Thai restaurants around here and I try one every week, sometimes twice. I guess I consider my self the local expert on Thai restaurants. I think its great that I do not have to fly 27 hours to enjoy Thailand. I can do it right here.

In August I will be coming to Bangkok and will eat as much Thai food as I can. It will be interesting to see if I can handle the spices of Thailand vs what I am use to here. I wonder how different the food will be.

This is a great thread. Thank you so much.

BTW, I love to visit them when there are 2 feet of snow on the ground and enjoy the Thai staff as they try to cope with the cold and the snow...

Sonic Bam
03-06-10, 03:03
Okay, not a BKK restaurant report but -
One time when visiting friends in the States I convinced them to try a new Thai restaurant (Evanston, Chicago area). Great looking place, great service when we arrived, I recommended we try one starter between us of the green papya salad thinking "that'll blow yer heads off".

Said salad arrives - nada chillis involved. I felt well let down. Asked the waitress why it was so bland and she giggled behind her hand. "not for here". Oh well.

Member #3428
03-06-10, 03:24
I wonder how different the food will be.

Comparing Thai food in USA to Thai food in Thai is like comparing a Covered HJ to a BBBJCIM.

However at most thai restaurants in thailand they "dumb" down how spicy foods are for you unless you specifically ask for them to make it "real" style. Some make it too sweet or such to suit tourists tastes.

Some local Thai and Isaan food is excellent, ask your bar girl to take you to eat real Isaan food or such at a local place and make sure to tell them to make it authentic.

If you find yourself as the only non thai in the restaurant... then you're probably have a half way decent chance to get more authentic food but make sure to ask for it. If you are in a place full of foreigners, I'll wager you're not getting real authentic food.

Etaoin2003
03-20-10, 17:08
Comparing Thai food in USA to Thai food in Thai is like comparing a Covered HJ to a BBBJCIM.

True of pretty much all Asian food in US. And you can't even go by the signs. If it says "Chinese" the owners/operators may be Korean. If it says "Thai" they may be Laotian. Sometimes it's gooey sweet and awful. Sometimes it's good without being authentic. They put up whatever signs, and cook whatever recipe necessary to make sales.

What passes for Chinese cooking in US buffet restaurants is a crime. But then the typical clientele looks like they stepped out of http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/.

NicFrenchy
04-13-12, 06:32
I ate the coiled up German sausage smothered in onions with mashed potatoes and creamed cauliflower (sorry I forgot the menu name). It was very tasty and I would highly recommend it. The service was attentive too. Sorry I missed you Giotto but you were busy with four guests next to the pool while I was there. I left my name and regards with the lady at the side desk.Careful Commenting on the Sausage at Livingstones. Last time I had dinner there with Pita123 and commented about how great the sausages were, he jokes about me and sausages (in a Gay sense). Hehe

Giotto
04-13-12, 09:44
Careful Commenting on the Sausage at Livingstones. Last time I had dinner there with Pita123 and commented about how great the sausages were, he jokes about me and sausages (in a Gay sense). Hehe ... and again he talks about sausages. You are in the wrong forum :) .

Giotto

NicFrenchy
04-13-12, 10:59
. And again he talks about sausages. You are in the wrong forum. .

GiottoWell, for once I am not the one who started it.

Giotto
04-13-12, 11:23
Well, for once I am not the one who started it.LOL.

Referring to a post from 2010, but not having started anything. French logic :) !

Giotto