PDA

View Full Version : Robbed walking on the street near L. A. Cafe

Redfield10
04-19-09, 08:24
Just be careful in the area around the Executive Plaza. As I was walking back from L. A. Cafe I was robbed. Manila is much more dangerous than, say, Bangkok. So beware.

Hi Guys!

Thank you so much for so much wisdom! I have being to Bangkok several times and this will be my first trip to the PHI-so much appretiated! I think I will stay away from eurosuite as it is true that seems to cater more of ST crow and if wanted to stay 3 days may be hard-that not having windows and the overal ambiance.

Now the dilemma is what to choose! I read in the board and it seems the executive plaza (sp) not sure I got the name right may be the next best thing. I reckon is a few blocks from LA cafe and and few others to the Mall. I am bit disapointed with the recent reports of it not being such a fertile ground for this hobby of ours! I guess that wherever I stay it will mean taxi around. The thing is I dread the notorious traffic. I had my share of traffic in BKK and opted to Skytrain and Subway to many of the venues I frequent but I guess that would be out of the question in Manila.

The taxi situation in BKK is as many of you pros in here know metered without hassle and plentiful in the street. I wonder how it is in Manila and the cost of getting around (monetary and time wise).

I guess that makate, Burgos and EDSA is the equivalent of Soi cowboy and nana. But there is no soapies, oil massage venues in Manila.

I guess I will have to hit the ground running and figure what is my overal strategy. I gues that if I can make due in BKK not speaking a word of thai I should fair well in PHI where English is more widely spoken.

OK guys! Any last word of wisdom...please shout it out....

P.S. Are they still robbing buses from Manila to AC or that has stopped. I planning to go to AC using the buses mentioned in the forum but read about bandits that get onboard the bus to rob it.

P.S 2 Anyone has being to BKK recently. I am planning on leaving PHI from AC Clark airport with Cebu Air (sp) that has a flight into BKK on June 23rd. Anyone done that flight.

Once again thank you all and let me know if you are in the area in June 17 of this year!

Cheers!

Redfield10
04-19-09, 08:30
A couple of more things as I reread your thread. I"ve been to BKK about 7 times. And Manila only once. My impressions.

You will not find EDSA, Burgos, etc. Anything at all like Soi Cowboy or Nana. If you are expecting the same, you will be disappointed. Basially, most of Manila is a big shithole. No other way to describe it. BKK is 100 times nicer. I was robbed right outside of Executive Plaza. Do not carry money with you. Or very little. Easy to get robbed. L. A. Cafe is great, itself. I woldn't even bother with Burgos or EDSA. But that's just me.

Angles is better. But you will find the girls way uglier than Soi Cowboy, Nana, etc. But it's still ok.

I'd take Swagman fly the bus from the Swagman hotel. Easy and cheap.

Well, good luck, but I feel I need to warn you. Manila ain't no Bangkok. And the Phils ain't no Thailand. I have no desire to every go back to the Phils again. You guys can have it.

Hi Guys!

Thank you so much for so much wisdom! I have being to Bangkok several times and this will be my first trip to the PHI-so much appretiated! I think I will stay away from eurosuite as it is true that seems to cater more of ST crow and if wanted to stay 3 days may be hard-that not having windows and the overal ambiance.

Now the dilemma is what to choose! I read in the board and it seems the executive plaza (sp) not sure I got the name right may be the next best thing. I reckon is a few blocks from LA cafe and and few others to the Mall. I am bit disapointed with the recent reports of it not being such a fertile ground for this hobby of ours! I guess that wherever I stay it will mean taxi around. The thing is I dread the notorious traffic. I had my share of traffic in BKK and opted to Skytrain and Subway to many of the venues I frequent but I guess that would be out of the question in Manila.

The taxi situation in BKK is as many of you pros in here know metered without hassle and plentiful in the street. I wonder how it is in Manila and the cost of getting around (monetary and time wise).

I guess that makate, Burgos and EDSA is the equivalent of Soi cowboy and nana. But there is no soapies, oil massage venues in Manila.

I guess I will have to hit the ground running and figure what is my overal strategy. I gues that if I can make due in BKK not speaking a word of thai I should fair well in PHI where English is more widely spoken.

OK guys! Any last word of wisdom. Please shout it out.

P.S. Are they still robbing buses from Manila to AC or that has stopped. I planning to go to AC using the buses mentioned in the forum but read about bandits that get onboard the bus to rob it.

P. S 2 Anyone has being to BKK recently. I am planning on leaving PHI from AC Clark airport with Cebu Air (sp) that has a flight into BKK on June 23rd. Anyone done that flight.

Once again thank you all and let me know if you are in the area in June 17 of this year!

Cheers!

Surfer
04-24-09, 00:06
I've been to to LOS about a dozen times and the PI over 40 times. And I've been to both twice each already this year. I've also been all over Latin America etc. And can say the PI is safer than most countries in Latin america (and many cities in the US).

Not sure when you were last at Nana but it is a joke now. EDSA is 100 times better (unless you are into ladyboys which outnumber the GGs at NEP nowadays).

As for getting robbed outside LA cafe, it does happen (particularly to the foolish and the drunk). I've walked those streets alone at all hours alone countless times without incident. Sorry that happened to you, but you are letting one incident color your view of an entire country.

Carrying loads of cash at night, as you did, is a sure sign of a newbie to third world travel (or learning impaired).

LOS has its advantages (infrastructure and food in particular), while the PI has its advantages too (first and foremost the friendliness of the people). Each member must make his own decisions about where to go, but IMHO letting the foolish errors of some create irrational fear or paranoia that prevents you from visiting perhaps the friendliest country on Earth for Americans is a grave mistake.

Surfer
04-24-09, 00:12
this is yet another example of an isolated incident being overhyped beyond belief (this one is hyped by Swagman in particular to scare people into paying 600P for the "security" of their bus rather than the 120P for the public bus).

Airplanes were used as weapons on 9/11 (4 times) but that does mean it is unsafe to fly on an airliner.

TAKE THE PUBLIC BUS TO DAU (Angeles). Just keep an eye on your baggage (and keep valuables on your body-i.e. USE COMMON SENSE!). The biggest danger will be negotiating with the trike driver to get from Dau Bus station to your hotel (SHOULD be 70Pisos but you will have to bargain to get that price especially if you have lots of luggage). You CAN do it on a jeepney for under 10Pisos (which you must remind the trike driver while bargaining).

Angeles trike drivers are the absolute scum of the earth and should only be used in emergencies (or getting from bus station to hotel with luggage). Walk or take jeeps whenever possible in AC.

Lenience
04-25-09, 01:40
Sounds interesting.- I've never heard of this place. Is it new?

The web site I found gives the location of Baywatch 1403 as just south of the Grand Hotel (has anyone stayed there recently? ). Where is 1903 in relation to 1403?

http://www.baywatch1403.com/maps.html

X

** You have to love a place that gives tips like this on their web site: They (taxis) usually charge exorbitant rates or those using meters will surely drive you around to jack up your fare and consume your patience.The two Baywatch condos are in the same building, same management etc.

About the taxis. I am always so amazed at the reaction of the crooked taxi drivers when I tell them off. "please do not mad sir. Do not shout, sir." Same for the touts and pimps. Just look crosseyed at them and they turn into mush.

I got real fed up trying to get a taxi when I got off the bus at Pasay one time. Guys just kept walking in front of me on the sidewalk to take the next taxi. Finally I went up to one cab that a fat young dude had just thought he appropriated. I reached in front of him, said "is this how you get a cab in this country? " and slid in the front seat. He couldn't believe what was happening (1/3 my age and outweighed me 2:1), and finally yelled, "better show some respect, man. You're a guest in my country."

Redfield10
04-25-09, 04:00
I'll take into consideration your point. Perhaps it was the "one time in a million thing." However, "Roger" felt the same way. So maybe we are both dumb and you are the smart one!

Also, just for the record, I wasn't drunk. I was simply walking a block away from LA Cafe and was surrounded by three or for thugs who went after my pockets. By the way, maybe the 20 bucks they got is a lot to you. It's not to me. But thanks to your Lib buddies I have a huge pension for life.

No worries!

I've been to to LOS about a dozen times and the PI over 40 times. And I've been to both twice each already this year. I've also been all over Latin America etc. And can say the PI is safer than most countries in Latin america (and many cities in the US).

Not sure when you were last at Nana but it is a joke now. EDSA is 100 times better (unless you are into ladyboys which outnumber the GGs at NEP nowadays).

As for getting robbed outside LA cafe, it does happen (particularly to the foolish and the drunk). I've walked those streets alone at all hours alone countless times without incident. Sorry that happened to you, but you are letting one incident color your view of an entire country.

Carrying loads of cash at night, as you did, is a sure sign of a newbie to third world travel (or learning impaired).

LOS has its advantages (infrastructure and food in particular), while the PI has its advantages too (first and foremost the friendliness of the people). Each member must make his own decisions about where to go, but IMHO letting the foolish errors of some create irrational fear or paranoia that prevents you from visiting perhaps the friendliest country on Earth for Americans is a grave mistake.

Warbucks
04-25-09, 04:35

Each member must make his own decisions about where to go, but IMHO letting the foolish errors of some create irrational fear or paranoia that prevents you from visiting perhaps the friendliest country on Earth for Americans is a grave mistake.Don’t single out the tourist apparently long term expats have also found themselves targeted by Filipino thugs. Most of these guys from their posts I gathered are dressed poorly, open toe sandals in a metropolitan area, T-or A-shirts but yet Filipino thugs still mark them as a target. One guy even bragged as he doesn’t carry any valuables.

Then you got the guys like me who never go out without looking decent and have never been a victim of a crime, pick pocketing or strong arm robbery whatsoever. One guy said I have just been lucky.

These Thai/Filipino criminals can simply sense something about individuals flame me if you want but I learned this early in life there were those everyone fucked with and there were those nobody fucked with.

GoodEnough
04-25-09, 08:35
I don't want to beat a dead horse so to speak, but I'm in my 60's hardly physically prepossessing and would not be much of a threat to anyone. I dress well and I don't wear flashy jewelry or carry much cash and in the six years that I've lived in the country, walking around places that are, believe me, lots worse than Malate/Ermita, I have never been hassled, much less robbed or threatened. Maybe it has to do with attitude or maybe, as Illogic suggests, with your dress code, and perhaps it's a combination of both.

It may also have to do with the swaggering, belligerent attitude characteristic of lots of foreign (white) male tourists. Maybe they just [CodeWord140] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord140) people off.

GE

Redfield10
04-25-09, 09:07
You guys are so full of it.

The fact that I was robbed a block away from LA Cafe had nothing to do with attitude, the way I look or anything other than three or four thugs decided to rob me.

I'm in shape, not old, no attitude. Nice to everyone I encounter always. Especially in foreign countries. They just decided to rob me. Coulda been any of you. Including Surfer, Illogic, etc. I get such a kick out of you guys thinkin' you are somehow special. And that your shit doesn't stink. Well, it does, boys.

Sure, I was unlucky and maybe it wouldn't happen the rest of my life there.

But it did happen. And that area is full of urchins, low lifes and hustlers. I was there three days in that area and that's all I saw. Day and night. Nothing comparable in the worst areas of Bangkok. Not even close.

I did easily score a lot of cute women from LA Cafe. Because, well, I'm good looking, intelligent, rich, nice, and treat them very nicely.

Other than that, I have no idea why.

I don't want to beat a dead horse so to speak, but I'm in my 60's hardly physically prepossessing and would not be much of a threat to anyone. I dress well and I don't wear flashy jewelry or carry much cash and in the six years that I've lived in the country, walking around places that are, believe me, lots worse than Malate/Ermita, I have never been hassled, much less robbed or threatened. Maybe it has to do with attitude or maybe, as Illogic suggests, with your dress code, and perhaps it's a combination of both.

It may also have to do with the swaggering, belligerent attitude characteristic of lots of foreign (white) male tourists. Maybe they just [CodeWord140] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord140) people off.

GE

Cunning Stunt
04-25-09, 09:50
I think that, getting back to the original complaint from Redfield that he had been mugged in Ermita and felt that this area was becoming increasingly unsafe, with which I concur. I have been visiting the Philippines since the late 80’s and have lived here on and off for over 10 years. I have been places that were not particularly recommended for foreigners (try early morning on Carriedo for an exciting experience!) and have never felt threatened or in particular danger. Maybe I’m just a bit thick and never noticed;).

However I must admit that I no longer enjoy walking the streets of Ermita. There seems to have been a general increase in the number of itinerants, counterfeit goods sellers, beggars, con-artists, muggers and similar riff-raff that congregate in the place. Maybe it’s the economic crisis that is throwing an increasing number onto the streets and they view wealthy tourist as an instant amelioration of their problems. Whatever the cause, the police are seemingly powerless or more likely disinterested in dealing with the situation.

A few weeks ago, I was hassled by a couple of bottom feeders on Pedro Gil, near the police outstation …lol. I am fairly tall and fit (for my age) and can look after myself so am used to giving short shrift to the usual shit you get on the street in that locale. But my trouble radar went bleep and I thought that I was been set up for a potential mugging so I made a lot of noise and looked threatening (as much as I can) and the guys backed off and moved on. But I reckon if I had looked a softer touch or had expensive clothes/jewelery (I always dress down in that area – smart but not rich looking), they might have considered it worthwhile taking me on. Of course if one had pulled a knife I would not have fought back – I am no idiot and the few thousand pesos I normally carry are not worth my life. It’s the first time that I have felt threatened in The Philippines.

I would say, don’t be too paranoid, but do exercise more caution when out on the streets, particularly in that area. We live in interesting times!

Cunning Stunt
04-25-09, 11:30
Funny this (I know you all will laugh) but the following quote sounds suspiciously like a guy making his maiden voyage to LA Café.

Monger Date 8 Feb 09 First Time

All type of girls were available from the simple braces young type to the old skanky. Looks like she been around the block type it was ridiculous. Warbucks was taken aback by it all. I have been around the block a few times but it was simply amazing.But we already know this cannot be true because he is a tough guy used to striding the mean streets of Ermita all jingle jangle in his expensive gold bling and wearing his fine threads.

Went by taxi too and like the fine, streetwise man that he is, managed to get there in one piece without being ripped off. An expert in Manila street craft this.

Got in a taxi at the Green Belt. Asked the guy to take me to LA. The guy didn’t try to take me to another place where he gets a commission. The guy didn’t try to overcharge. The guy didn’t ask where I am from. I know amazing right?

I told you that you would laugh:D.

Warbucks
04-25-09, 15:43
and i thought that i was been set up for a potential mugging so i made a lot of noise lol.

funny this (i know you all will laugh) but the following quote sounds suspiciously like a guy making his maiden voyage to la café.i stated in my first paragraph it was my first trip to la what’s suspicious about it? posts from other members proclaimed that the area ermita was "so" dangerous and seedy. ermita in my opinion is no different than all the other metropolitan places i roam in pi. lot of foreigners lot of people in general day and night.

but we already know this cannot be true because he is a tough guy used to striding the mean streets of ermita all jingle jangle in his expensive gold bling and wearing his fine threads.wow you remind of my jewelry just begging for attention. lol. i stated 100 times on this board i don’t wear my jewelry in pi as it is pointless and silly kind of like going into shark infested waters dangling raw steak.

i do consider myself a tough but not because i roam the streets of ermita looking for some la café hooker to [CodeWord140] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord140) on but because of my upbringing, hometown, job and me being generally secure with myself.

i am not the one daily hiding behind the internet taking shots at other members. we all enjoyed your fiasco with oth now you come here to disturb us. my pm function works fine.

got in a taxi at the green belt. asked the guy to take me to la. the guy didn’t try to take me to another place where he gets a commission. the guy didn’t try to overcharge. the guy didn’t ask where i am from. i know amazing right? i sarcastically wrote this because this is what happens most of the time when i catch a taxi in manila where is the humor?

went by taxi too and like the fine, streetwise man that he is, managed to get there in one piece without being ripped off. an expert in manila street craft this.yeah i travel by taxi and personal driver. is there any other "logical" way to get around manila? perhaps i should act like i am a poor local dress down and get on a jeepney, when i live in some sheltered subdivision as one prominent english poster does? he then informed us all he only rides jeepneys to "cop a feel" on some poor unsuspecting filipina trying to get home from work.

i may be a masochist but i actually enjoy traveling on public transport. it must be the close proximity of all those lovely young pinays. i have, on two memorable occasions, even 'trapped' on jeepneys. it is easy when you have some young lovelies body almost draped over you, to strike up casual conversation. and the girls who use jeepneys are the 'poor' girls, shopgirls, maids etc, who often would just love to meet wealthy foreigners. the next step up is fx's which involves an even tighter squeeze, but i have stopped using these, as, a couple of years ago, i suspect i caught whooping cough on one of them. too many people in an enclosed space.

but i told you that you would laugh: d.i am laughing. :d that a guy (52 years old) almost double my age could behave like this.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php? term=internet+tough+guys

i encourage all members don’t be an internet tough guy if you have problem with a guy meet the guy in person especially if you two live in the same city.

flaming here on isg what’s the point? is it some type of way to "get off" :confused:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php? term=get+off

i have contacted jackson as i am not a fan of cluttering up the boards with this nonsense but since you took it here so did i. have a nice night.

Cunning Stunt
04-25-09, 17:01
Wow – and here am I just singing your praise to the board that are already aware of what an upstanding sort of guy you are. Shame on you.

I do consider myself a tough but not because I roam the streets of Ermita looking for some LA Café Hooker to [CodeWord140] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord140) on but blah, blah, blah.Yawn. You have used this so many times it is beyond boring.

What sort of rough places in Manila do you like to roam then? Kind of like Market2 Mall with all them nasty little teenagers giving you the evil eye?

He then informed us all he only rides Jeepneys to "cop a feel" on some poor unsuspecting Filipina trying to get home from work.Is this scurrilous piece of nonsense directed at me? Not guilty m’lud.

I am laughing. : D that a guy (52 years old) almost double my age could behave like this.Are you an ageist then? You do like to bring age into the equation. As a guy who loves droning on about racism in the Far East, don’t you feel this is a little contradictory.

I encourage all members don’t be an internet tough guy if you have problem with a guy meet the guy in person especially if you two live in the same city.Yes its sad but we do share the same city. But fortunately that is all we do have in common. Assume that this is not some sort of playground challenge or threat because that would really be funny. Do grow up, my boy. I would sooner jump the bones of my first wife than to consort in public with a character such as yourself. You must learn to separate fantasy from reality – the japes we get up to on these boards are fun but fantasy. Do you maybe not understand this?

I have contacted Jackson as I am not a fan of cluttering up the boards with this nonsense but since you took it here so did I. Have a nice night.Yes, this I would expect from your track record. But did I insult you as you have just insulted me? I think not. Strikes me that it is you who are doing the insulting and cluttering.

You have been taking sly, little back stabbing digs at me for ages, which I have largely ignored. I don’t mind so much but thought I’d amuse myself by bringing things up for air. Don’t you feel invigorated?

Sleep well.

G

GoodEnough
04-26-09, 00:43
As I mentioned to Redfield in a PM yesterday, sometimes getting hassled or mugged or whatever has nothing to do with anything other than lousy luck. I was mugged, as I told him, on the Blvd. St. Germain in Paris in broad daylight and I did nothing to provoke anyone.

If Ermita is really turning even dodgier, then maybe it's time to move on to Cafe Havana and the surrounding places in Greenbelt 3, or is it 2? At least it's a more upscale area, brightly lit, with no streets on which to hide. Granted the number of ladies is smaller, but there are still plenty and it's doubtlessly safer and more enjoyable.

I just returned yesterday from Zamboanga, which is getting a bit scary, and I will not longer go out in the evenings by myself. It's just too risky for a foreigner. Maybe the whole country gets more dangerous as the economy shrinks, jobs become every scarcer and people become ever more desperate.

GE

Warbucks
04-26-09, 04:31
You guys are so full of it.

The fact that I was robbed a block away from LA Cafe had nothing to do with attitude, the way I look or anything other than three or four thugs decided to rob me.

I'm in shape, not old, no attitude. Nice to everyone I encounter always. Especially in foreign countries. They just decided to rob me. Coulda been any of you. Including Surfer, Illogic, etc. I get such a kick out of you guys thinkin' you are somehow special. And that your shit doesn't stink. Well, it does, boys.

Sure, I was unlucky and maybe it wouldn't happen the rest of my life there.

But it did happen. And that area is full of urchins, low lifes and hustlers. I was there three days in that area and that's all I saw. Day and night. Nothing comparable in the worst areas of Bangkok. Not even close.

Red anyone can be robbed anywhere. All I am saying is that maybe there was something but if you did everything in your power to avoid this and it still happened then maybe you were just unlucky. I don’t think my shit don’t stink. I don’t think I am invincible. I have had my fair share of bad experiences in PI more then you can fathom in your two week vacations but as I said serious crimes no.

You’re now an advocate for Thailand proclaiming how great it is compared to PI in terms of “safeness” while I agree I also know for a fact Thai guys “bust heads” too. What will you say then if something happens to you there also?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bust+heads

I was presented with a potentially explosive situation in Pattaya back in 06’ a friend of mine (which is why I travel alone these days) could not understand how things work in SE Asia. We were all very young, new money, first couple of times out the States. We had been in Pattaya for about a month when one of my homies knocked the shit out of this beautiful bar girl as she tried to hold his passport for ransom because he had been fucking her last few days without payment.

In his mind he had been treating her as a girlfriend taking her to the movies, bowling ect…so he felt no cash payment was justified. She on the other hand being a bar girl of course was losing out on hard Baht staying with him so when she requested money he refused she commandeered his passport so the struggle ensued.

Right then and there she threatened my buddy and we personally knew her brother who was well-known but a low-level gangster and drug dealer in Pattaya. Was I worried about this situation? Of course I was but I took steps to alleviate the situation.

I apologize to you and other members who feel I have been slyly dissing or insulting them. I also apologize to the board for having to read this nonsense. Attacking other board members is not invigorating to me. Does nothing for me. My job is dangerous enough if I need a testosterone builder.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dissing

Aussiec
04-26-09, 04:59
Well it could happen anywhere. I do not think most of us walk around thinking we are invincible. You can take all the precautions in the world and still get robbed. Carry only what you are willing to lose. Buy a cheap Nokia phone for P1200. Leave your jewelry at hotel. If you get robbed then hand it over what you have and walk away you are still breathing and atleast you did not lose alot. In 2005 I was robbed in Cebu in the daylight in what you would consider safe (between Parklane and the Mall) They got P3000 and my piece of crap cell phone. I was happy to just walk away still intact. I went back to hotel got money money and proceeded to go back to mall. We all know how unsafe LA Cafe area is. I always take taxi there. I always try and use a taxi guy that I like who I get his number from. I tell him to pick me up across La Cafe at certain time and when he is almost there call me. I walk out go cross street jump in taxi and all is safe with me. Always be 3 steps ahead of yourself in decisions you make. Even then nothing is perfect and you may still have things happen. Been there had it done to me also. Sorry for your situation but Just learn and thank God that your alive.

Blackangst
04-26-09, 18:24
I havent seen any reports from Tondo or Silangan...maybe one of you tough guys who are so careful and intimidating can have your driver drop you off sometime....would love to see a report ;)

Spam Hog
04-27-09, 08:01
gentlemen, it has been some time since the spamhog posted his particular brand of wisdom (or whiz dumb) regarding safety and security. those board members who know me and have met me, know my background understand my philosophy & will agree.

spamhogs first rule of safety says stay the hell out of places you don't belong in and stay away from situations you should have the common sense to avoid. you have no reason to go into tondo or armm or diving in the sulu archipeligo. most of the foreigners who get into serious trouble in this country (ie kidnapping, murdered, robbed of large sums of cash) likely set themselves up, hiring a housekeeper who works for a criminal gang, getting hooked up with the wrong clara belle or **** jezebelles are in that catagory and if you don't have common sense to recognize the danger signs with these women then stay home.

don't get involved in treasure hunt scams, smuggling counterfeit t bills or the drug trade or any other scam trying to rip off your fellow foreigners.

yeah, no matter how tough you are you (no offense to anyone but it seems the younger guys always feel the need to prove themselves) are still going to run afoul of the occassional sneak thief, pickpocket and maybe mugger. many years ago in davao i had my only run in with theives in the pi when i boarded an early morning jeepney with two emaciated junkies who maneuvered beside me and tried to pick my pocket, they didn't get anything and yeah i could have ripped both of them in half but instead just got off the jeep. note to self, avoid jeepneys.

spamhogs second major rule is to use flight rather than fight, simply outmaneuver your attackers, look for an exit, an escape route and use it, keep moving.

third rule is to use diversions...if you get cornered, simply throw down the "irish bankrole" that big wad of tweny peso notes, rep001ter them then
haul ass when they start to scoop 'em up.

overall, i rate the phils safer than the usa, and even safer in some regards than thailand, the thai's are more agressive in their targeting of foreigners and use of their gfs to do it, plus the ladyboys are more hostile towards the unsuspecting. but note that filipinos will use violence to anyone whom they feel is a "bastos", impolite, talks down to them or tries to bully them.

what the hell do i know? well i am a security specialist, former le, former private bodyguard and have lived and worked in asia since doing a stint in the molotov cocktail capital of the world....e. timor.

spamhog

X Man
04-27-09, 11:45
Having met the SH, I can only say the two emaciated locals must have been very high, very stupid, or very desperate to mess with SH. The guy is built like a brick shithouse. He, he, no offense there SH....

Those that reported being robbed, could you please give more details? What weapon was used? How many were there? What time was it?

X Man

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=brick+shithouse

Many years ago in Davao I had my only run in with theives in the PI when I boarded an early morning jeepney with two emaciated junkies who maneuvered beside me and tried to pick my pocket, they didn't get anything and yeah I could have ripped both of them in half but instead just got off the jeep.
Spamhog

Surfer
04-27-09, 19:59
SH's post on common sense and safety should go in the reports of distinction folder. Even taking all due precautions, you may still run of out luck sometimes. Whether Redfield was just unlucky (to get mugged by LA Cafe) is uncertain, but
machismo, or feeling invincible because you are big or tough, is what leads to most the trouble foreigners find in the PI. A scrawny kid with a gun can take down any Arnold wannabe or Hercules himself.

Yes that area of Ermita has more than its share of shady characters hanging out on the street, as it always has for as long as foreigners concentrated in the area, but that is not a reason to avoid it entirely IMHO. Walk purposefully, ignore anybody who tries to talk to you, don't carry valuables and stay in better lit areas and 99 times out of a hundred you'll have no problems.

GoodEnough
04-27-09, 23:52
Hey SH, welcome back. I thought for a while that you had fallen off the planet. For those of you who have not had the pleasure of SH's company, all I can say is that the man knows whereof he speaks, and if he, who is fully capable of defending himself advises flight rather than fight, I would suggest that you consider his point of view seriously.

GE

Blackangst
04-28-09, 00:16
I havent ever met SH but I concur with his advice. I hope my comments about Tondo set off your sarcasm meter...if not you need a new battery ;)

X Man
04-28-09, 00:19
Have you been to Tondo? It's not such a bad place.

X

I havent ever met SH but I concur with his advice. I hope my comments about Tondo set off your sarcasm meter...if not you need a new battery ;)

Aussiec
04-28-09, 03:22
As stated it was in Cebu on pathway between Parklane Hotel and Mall and it was 4PM. Three guys, one with small (lady type) hand gun. It was obviously well rehearsed. One walk up and other 2 were about 25 ft looking occupied. The one said "Hey Joe" as he passed and quickly came up be hind me as the others rush forward. One of the 2 guys that rush forward show gun said. Hey Joe again and "money, phone and necklace. I said here and I have no necklace dis is all I have and emptied pockets. They took and ran.

That was it.

Cunning Stunt
04-28-09, 03:58
Have you been to Tondo? It's not such a bad place.

X

What have you been there? At night? Either you are talking bollocks or have same like a pair of wrecking balls!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=talking%20bollocks

Addendum: Just realized that Divisoria Market is officially in the Tondo District. Guess you wouldn't need balls of steel to go shopping in the market:D.

Spam Hog
04-28-09, 06:05
Having met the SH, I can only say the two emaciated locals must have been very high, very stupid, or very desperate to mess with SH. The guy is built like a brick shithouse. He, he, no offense there SH....

X Man

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=brick+shithouse

There are those who say I am full of shit....so naturally being built of shit bricks would seem logical.....

How ya doing ya scalawag? Good to see you are still around.

Spamhog

Joh Kbay
04-29-09, 06:06
Hello fellow mongers,

This is my first report, so give me a break. My first trip to the PI was about a week ago. I actually enjoyed it so much that I plan on going every year. Only one incident kind of freak me out while in Ermita. One afternoon, I was at Robinson Place for a little shopping, the taxi line was very long so I decided to walk a couple of blocks over to MH Del Pilar st to wave down a taxi. I was staying at Baywatch Tower, so a taxi ride down the street should not be a problem for the driver in finding that place. As I headed down the street, not one but three beggars started to hassle me for viagra, girls, or whatever. These guys wanted me to follow them to get whatever they wanted to sell me but going in the opposite direction. I kindly refused and kept on looking for a taxi. By now, a swarm of little children started to hassle me, all this time, I tried to keep my composure. I practically walked in front of a taxi and got in. I tried closing the door, but those little mongrels already had their hands inside the taxi cab. I pushed their little paws out and slam the door. I was amazed how young these little thieves were and I now have a problem looking at my nephew back home. I actually wanted to check LA Cafe but ths incident left a bad taste in my mouth. I scratched off LA Cafe, G point, and Amazonia because it was in that area. The funny part of this ordeal was that I'm American Filipino, I figured I would not be hassled as much and blend in. I don't speak or understand the language but I do look Filipino. LOL Don't let this report discourage you, I still had fun in other areas. I love the EDSA complex and some clubs in Malate.

Thanks to all for all the information given because it really did help.

NicFrenchy
04-29-09, 06:56

Spoken like a true tourist.
I live and work in BKK and I can assure you that this is not the case.

Aussiec
04-29-09, 08:11
Yes a little intimidating the first time experiencing this. But this is everywhere in Philippines whether in Baguio, Davao, Cebu, CDO, or Manila. Street kids and husslers are everywhere. This may sound crazy but reading your report and saying you were shaken from this a little it is obvious you problably showed it as well. Act as if you seen and done all this before, walk steady quick walk and always good to learn a little basic Tagalog. My spelling is terrible but its amazing when you say to the husslers and kids "wala" meaning nothing. They will see your not a newbie to be had. Say it firmly not rude you may have to say it few times before they get message but always keep your destination in hand and do not have them side track you. But firm and keep walking with out breaking a stride. Stop they got you.

Cunning Stunt
04-29-09, 08:18
Spoken like a true tourist.
I live and work in BKK and I can assure you that this is not the case.

Spoken like a true, arrogant Frenchy.

Maybe Surfer exaggerated somewhat, but Nana has, IMHO, gone rapidly downhill over the past few years and does have several LB Bars. Soi Cowboy is a much better bet these days.

G

Cunning Stunt
04-29-09, 08:29
The funny part of this ordeal was that I'm American Filipino, I figured I would not be hassled as much and blend in. I don't speak or understand the language but I do look Filipino. LOL Don't let this report discourage you, I still had fun in other areas. I love the EDSA complex and some clubs in Malate.

LOL... none of us stand an earthly if you are getting hassled. Amazes me how they can spot a Balikbayan ... absolutely incredible!!

I have taken to approaching LA Cafe the long way round, via Roxas Boulevard and Salas. No hassle that way. Leave the same way too thus avoiding the taxi mafia on Del Pilar.

NicFrenchy
04-29-09, 08:43
Spoken like a true, arrogant Frenchy.

Sure, and if you don't like it, you know where you can stick it ;)

Maybe Surfer exaggerated somewhat, but Nana has, IMHO, gone rapidly downhill over the past few years and does have several LB Bars. Soi Cowboy is a much better bet these days.

I have never been fond of NEP, not because there are 3 or 4 ladyboy bars but because the ladies seem to have a lot more "attitude" than in other bars. Cowboy, mind you has its share of "NEP like" girls... just head to Baccara or Our Place and you'll feel it big time.

Cunning Stunt
04-29-09, 09:16
Sure, and if you don't like it, you know where you can stick it ;)

Touche...but we are normally used to wittier, less hackneyed comebacks on the Philippine Board:D.

X Man
04-29-09, 14:25
Growl. It sometimes works.

If that doesn't work, growl louder.

If that doesn't work, start letting your body go spastic as if you an alien had just taken over. They'll give you space -- if you're a good actor.

Of course I don't have to act.

X

Hello fellow mongers,

This is my first report, so give me a break. My first trip to the PI was about a week ago. I actually enjoyed it so much that I plan on going every year. Only one incident kind of freak me out while in Ermita. One afternoon, I was at Robinson Place for a little shopping, the taxi line was very long so I decided to walk a couple of blocks over to MH Del Pilar st to wave down a taxi. I was staying at Baywatch Tower, so a taxi ride down the street should not be a problem for the driver in finding that place. As I headed down the street, not one but three beggars started to hassle me for viagra, girls, or whatever. These guys wanted me to follow them to get whatever they wanted to sell me but going in the opposite direction. I kindly refused and kept on looking for a taxi. By now, a swarm of little children started to hassle me, all this time, I tried to keep my composure. I practically walked in front of a taxi and got in. I tried closing the door, but those little mongrels already had their hands inside the taxi cab. I pushed their little paws out and slam the door. I was amazed how young these little thieves were and I now have a problem looking at my nephew back home. I actually wanted to check LA Cafe but ths incident left a bad taste in my mouth. I scratched off LA Cafe, G point, and Amazonia because it was in that area. The funny part of this ordeal was that I'm American Filipino, I figured I would not be hassled as much and blend in. I don't speak or understand the language but I do look Filipino. LOL Don't let this report discourage you, I still had fun in other areas. I love the EDSA complex and some clubs in Malate.

Thanks to all for all the information given because it really did help.

X Man
04-29-09, 14:42
NIGHT???? No sir, I'm dumb, but not stupid.

Maybe even harder for you to believe, but it was a humanitarian mission. Half the group was Flip (as AV likes to say), so I had some bodyguards. We helped out a bit...felt like a drop in the bucket, but still felt good.

X Man

What have you been there? At night? Either you are talking bollocks or have same like a pair of wrecking balls!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=talking%20bollocks

Addendum: Just realized that Divisoria Market is officially in the Tondo District. Guess you wouldn't need balls of steel to go shopping in the market:D.

Cunning Stunt
04-29-09, 15:51
Maybe even harder for you to believe, but it was a humanitarian mission. Half the group was Flip (as AV likes to say), so I had some bodyguards. We helped out a bit...felt like a drop in the bucket, but still felt good.

Don't tell me - you were rescuing a pair of tartan trews that had been kidnapped and held to ransom?

NicFrenchy
04-29-09, 17:08
Touche...but we are normally used to wittier, less hackneyed comebacks on the Philippine Board:D.

;) Glad you took it as a joke because that's what is was... Thankfully I am not too serious :D

Joh Kbay
04-29-09, 21:19
LOL. None of us stand an earthly if you are getting hassled. Amazes me how they can spot a Balikbayan. Absolutely incredible! The first day I got there, I knew I stood out from everybody else. I was wearing either a nice dress shirt or golf shirt with a good pair of walking shorts and flip flops. I was going for the "Charlie Sheen" look and it had some advantages and disadvantages at the same time. As all you guys know, you never see a Filipino in shorts at the mall or anywhere else. Every mall I went to, every Filipino gave me a stare like "is that guy Filipino or what? " It actually worked for me at Mall of Asia because everytime I sat down for a cup of coffee, some girl would approach me and start a conversation. I thought it was funny because they would start the conversation talking tagalog to me and I would have a puzzled look. LOL I made them feel welcomed and before I knew it, I was taking them back to my room or getting a phone number for later. I envy all you guys who are living in the PI because you live like a king.

Spam Hog
04-30-09, 07:41
Yes a little intimidating the first time experiencing this. But this is everywhere in Philippines whether in Baguio, Davao, Cebu, CDO, or Manila. Street kids and husslers are everywhere. This may sound crazy but reading your report and saying you were shaken from this a little it is obvious you problably showed it as well. Act as if you seen and done all this before, walk steady quick walk and always good to learn a little basic Tagalog. My spelling is terrible but its amazing when you say to the husslers and kids "wala" meaning nothing. They will see your not a newbie to be had. Say it firmly not rude you may have to say it few times before they get message but always keep your destination in hand and do not have them side track you. But firm and keep walking with out breaking a stride. Stop they got you.

Just be a little careful of how you treat street urchins, yeah they are annoying little pests but remember that often they are part of organized "crews" under the supervision of an "amo" or overseer. They might steal by grabbing but most are trained professional beggars. You can usually outmaneuver them with a long stride.

It is not a wise idea to strike or hit them which is not taken well by other Filipinos so control yourself. Spamhogs way of handling them is simple, I usually keep a few coins for the "street tax" just throw down a few coins and let them scramble around for them while you move on. I usually get waylaid outside McDonalds but I have my strategy, I usually give them my fires(I shouldn't be eating them any how) and tell the kid "Tun gah Amigo's mo"
Or "Share with your friends" loud enough so the others can hear me as I hand the booty over. The others will bum rush the kid looking for their share before they are all eaten and you can escape during the confusion.

Spamhog

Nvslim
04-30-09, 09:37
Just be a little careful of how you treat street urchins, yeah they are annoying little pests but remember that often they are part of organized "crews" under the supervision of an "amo" or overseer. They might steal by grabbing but most are trained professional beggars. You can usually outmaneuver them with a long stride.

Spamhog

Was walking down Fields Ave in Angeles with a friend one afternoon years ago when a kid pushed a bottle of something under my nose and grabbed some bills out of my shirt pocket and tried to run. I grabbed him around the neck with my arm out of reflex. I told him to drop the money and when he did, I released him. He and his little friends took off running. I picked up the money and stuffed it in the velcro pocket on the leg of my pants.

From then on, I always carried my money in the pocket on the leg of my pants or shorts. Never had another problem on the street or jeepneys. I just wrote it all off a lesson learned.

Slim

Cunning Stunt
04-30-09, 10:05
As all you guys know, you never see a Filipino in shorts at the mall or anywhere else. Every mall I went to, every Filipino gave me a stare like "is that guy Filipino or what?

Actually, shorts (and sandos and flip flops) are quite commonly worn in The Philippines but are usually considered either the dress of kids or foreigners or that of low class Pinays. Next time you are moving round in the Philippines note how many guys you see hanging about outside shanties dressed in the regulation sando/basketball shirt (barely covering an enormous beer gut), shorts and flip flops and topped by a baseball cap worn back to front. You will soon get tired and stop counting.

No, I think it is more likely some indefinable quality in your posture and bearing that we wouldn’t necessarily notice but which is picked up immediately by the finely attuned antennae of Filipino’s. To us you would look like any other Pinoy but to them you would stand out as a wealthy Balikbayan.

Tout01
05-26-09, 09:31
Hmm was i the person that recommended that hotel to you? No hard feelings.

The security in the area should be one of the best as there is the hyatt casino across the street but if one veers to the right as one steps out from that hotel and takes another right from that hotel well its a different animal late at night.

Nine times out of ten i took a taxi by walking to the left and finding a running taxi that is sitting in traffic as it locks up there.

Glad you didn't get hurt as the guys usually will knife or gun you the second you don't comply.

For the most part I don't see the benefit in Manila when there is Cebu except for a did it done it experience which was good enough for me last year for life. Sure I am giving up on the many chat mates in Luzon but being stuck in the metropolis is hardly worth it with exception to EDSA which I found to be a bright spot and LA CAFE if you can wait until the wee hours of the morning if you are tight with your money like me.

Hobby Knob
05-27-09, 07:30
NIGHT???? No sir, I'm dumb, but not stupid.

X Man

I have heard Tondo to be a rough place but I have spent the night there several times. never an issue.

Redfield10
05-27-09, 07:44
Ah, nice to know that I was only an "attitude" away from getting knifed or gunned down.

Hmm was i the person that recommended that hotel to you? No hard feelings.

The security in the area should be one of the best as there is the hyatt casino across the street but if one veers to the right as one steps out from that hotel and takes another right from that hotel well its a different animal late at night.

Nine times out of ten i took a taxi by walking to the left and finding a running taxi that is sitting in traffic as it locks up there.

Glad you didn't get hurt as the guys usually will knife or gun you the second you don't comply.

For the most part I don't see the benefit in Manila when there is Cebu except for a did it done it experience which was good enough for me last year for life. Sure I am giving up on the many chat mates in Luzon but being stuck in the metropolis is hardly worth it with exception to EDSA which I found to be a bright spot and LA CAFE if you can wait until the wee hours of the morning if you are tight with your money like me.

Captain America
11-15-09, 08:33
If you leave the exec. Plaza and turn righ, then turn right again, you are going to robinsons mall. Not a really scary place to go...
:-)
Walking the two blocks to LA isn't bad either as long as you are friendly and aware of your surroundings. Personally I've never even felt uneasy walking mabini and on accoasion walked a couple of blocks just to get away from the taxi rip-offs when I was staying in makati.

All that being said, it could probably happen to anyone...

Tout01
11-16-09, 14:11
your right thats what i mean

take 2 rights and you are on ur way to robinsons
that road always seemed safe to me

never had a hassle minus the beggars on the corner

jus felt a bit uneasy on way back home from la cafe to the hotel thats all

i am glad i am not there manila - been in pattaya for 2 months now - actually jomtien its so peacefull here except when reading the local newspapers concerning the never ending stories of general mayhem and carnage that goes on without me noticing a thing

i just see the smiles on peoples faces really and am thankfull i am missing the floods back home

i do miss cebu a bit and hope to be there soon

Primo Bolan
12-30-09, 21:52
I dont understand this thread actually. "Robbed walking on the street near L-A. Cafe"? And alot writes OT. Shouldn`t there be a thread about security in for ex ermita or makati or manila?

Lala Bay
12-30-09, 22:06
Hmm. I used to live in Malate for about 5 months. Took a jeepney to tondo-harbour-area and/or binondo almost every day and back at night. Never got robbed or had any trouble at all.

I think as long as you don't look and behave like a rich tourist, you won't have any problems. But I guess thats the problem. I can hardly disapprove any streetkid for stealing from some of the people I saw around LA Cafe.. Many of them are begging to be robbed.

Hairy Wonder
12-31-09, 10:15
Hmm. I used to live in Malate for about 5 months. Took a jeepney to tondo-harbour-area and/or binondo almost every day and back at night. Never got robbed or had any trouble at all.

I think as long as you don't look and behave like a rich tourist, you won't have any problems. But I guess thats the problem. I can hardly disapprove any streetkid for stealing from some of the people I saw around LA Cafe.. Many of them are begging to be robbed.

I don't understand your logic LB. As I understand it, most Filipinos beleive that any foreigner is rich. So how would dressing "like a rich tourist" keep you from being robbed. If I was a thief, I would go for the fancy pants guys before the ones in casual shorts and t-shirts. Obviously the "well dressed" individual likes to show off that they have money. So it would make sense that a thief would probably get more by robbing them.

Just MHO!
HW

Lala Bay
12-31-09, 11:45
I don't understand your logic LB. As I understand it, most Filipinos beleive that any foreigner is rich. So how would dressing "like a rich tourist" keep you from being robbed. If I was a thief, I would go for the fancy pants guys before the ones in casual shorts and t-shirts. Obviously the "well dressed" individual likes to show off that they have money. So it would make sense that a thief would probably get more by robbing them.

Just MHO!

HWAye, thats what I wrote. You should NOT dress and behave like a rich tourist.

Cunning Stunt
12-31-09, 12:50
So how would dressing "like a rich tourist" keep you from being robbed.

I think you misread LBs post. He said if you 'don't look and behave like a rich tourist', you are less likely to be targetted which makes sense.

Warbucks
12-31-09, 20:44

Just MHO!
HW
It’s all about how you carry yourself.

Walk around like you got an S on your chest. Not saying to be belligerent or arrogant but act like you belong.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=s+on+my+chest

HW and LBH that’s just it some mongers dress like shit and have still been targeted. I see similar traits in the behavior of Filipino males that I saw in my brethren back in the States. They can sense fear from you. If you look or act timid you are a bleeding victim to sharks in water whether you’re dressed to impress or dressed like shit.

I am always wearing nice clothes in Manila icy white sneakers; trademark piece of expensive, attention getting jewelry etc… never had any problems.

Pete Benetar
01-05-10, 20:16
Um, how old is this thread now?

Malate (as bad as it is) and Cebu City near Parklane both seem safer than the metro Wash DC area to me.

Rd Pumus
01-15-10, 07:07
It's all about how you carry yourself.That's pretty much it, no matter where you are. It's your body language. If you radiate purpose, no one is likely to bother you. I think your clothes matter somewhat. I rarely walk in a "questionable" place at night unless I'm wearing old jeans and a ratty t-shirt. But the main thing is to just keep walking and don't stop for anything. I've done this in DC and in Manila and other cities. If you are walking fast, then any would-be robber would have to walk faster and you would be alerted. Stay in the open. Be aware. Be nice to the ladies, they will watch out for you if they like you.

I trolled Quezon Avenue at all hours when I was in the pinas. I never had a problem. I actually had more of a problem in the daytime, when the children were begging. I think they thought I had "ATM" tattooed on my forehead. One kid fell to the ground screaming bloody murder when I told him to go away, but no one in earshot seemed to notice.

GoodEnough
01-15-10, 11:52
That's pretty much it, no matter where you are. It's your body language. If you radiate purpose, no one is likely to bother you. I think your clothes matter somewhat. I rarely walk in a "questionable" place at night unless I'm wearing old jeans and a ratty t-shirt. But the main thing is to just keep walking and don't stop for anything. I've done this in DC and in Manila and other cities. If you are walking fast, then any would-be robber would have to walk faster and you would be alerted. Stay in the open. Be aware. Be nice to the ladies, they will watch out for you if they like you.

I trolled Quezon Avenue at all hours when I was in the pinas. I never had a problem. I actually had more of a problem in the daytime, when the children were begging. I think they thought I had "ATM" tattooed on my forehead. One kid fell to the ground screaming bloody murder when I told him to go away, but no one in earshot seemed to notice.
I think this whole discussion is largely overblown. I'm 65 years old, no threat to anyone other than perhaps frail old ladies, and have walked the area many times. I've never been threatened, never been made to feel uncomfortable, never "dressed down," and never been afraid. The area between Del Pilar and Padre Faura at least is fairly well-lit and there are always throngs of people on the street.

GE

Pinaylicker
02-27-10, 11:35
I am just following up with my experience. I was in Iloilo, Boracay and Pasay City for almost a month. I dressed in sandos and 'slippers' aka sandals all the time. I never carried any more money than I needed and nothing more than I needed. I did however carry a decoy wallet with a few pesos in it in my back pocket and but carried my real wallet and a small one at that right next to my you know what. Cargo shorts are good as they have the small pockets usually with velcro if you need to carry more bills. My logic was if I was mugged, they would get the back wallet first and might pat you down and find the one next to my groin but probably not look further for the reserve bills.

I am no expert but I never had issues. After a couple taxi rides, you know the rate and can either barter or tell them what you will pay for a certain ride. I studied maps in my room so I knew where I was going when I went out. I always walked with confidence, knew where I was, was cognizant of safe places or people I identified with and was able to go anywhere, anytime.

A poster earlier commented on being chatted up in Tagalog first as if he belonged there. I had the same experiences even though one would assume I spoke English.

It was all good for me, they'll scam and con you if you let them. Always barter and always round up your cabs if you use a regular one. If you call, they'll be right there and the air con will be on!

Girls, booze and food is always cheap; just don't do the first two at the same time!

Hope this helps some.

EDITOR'S NOTE: I would suggest that the author or another Forum Member consider posting a link to this report in the Reports of Distinction thread. Please Click Here (http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/announcement-reportsofdistinction.php) for more information.

Five10
02-27-10, 17:32
Walking from Exec Plaza to LA Cafe. Philipino vagrant guy asked for money. I said no, he followed me. I Saw a cop and pointed at the cop. Philipino walked in the opposite direction. I kept walking toward the LA Cafe. And at the next small street, there he was again. Approaching me. I ran.

I'm 40 ish looking, 5'10' 190 lbs. Basketball player. Buffed. Grew up on the west side of Chicago in a racially integrated environment.

Did not like this experience.

GoodEnough
02-28-10, 06:33
Walking from Exec Plaza to LA Cafe. Philipino vagrant guy asked for money. I said no, he followed me. I Saw a cop and pointed at the cop. Philipino walked in the opposite direction. I kept walking toward the LA Cafe. And at the next small street, there he was again. Approaching me. I ran.

I'm 40 ish looking, 5'10' 190 lbs. Basketball player. Buffed. Grew up on the west side of Chicago in a racially integrated environment.

I doubt you were in any danger especially since you seem to be in good shape and the odds are that he wasn't. On the other hand, you could have just handed the guy Php10 and he would have been content and would have gone away. It's not a bad idea to keep some small change handy for really persistent beggars.

GE

Cunning Stunt
02-28-10, 11:52

Maybe you were not wearing enough bling or forgot to wear your 'S' t-shirt and wear your underpants on the outside;).

Had to laugh at the trick one vagrant tried as I was strolling down Del Pilar late one night. He was carrying a tatty old Jolllibee burger box and walked straight into me (even though I tried to avoid the smelly old twat) and then threw the box to the ground and tried to make out that it was my fault that he had lost his dinner. I just laughed, threw down a few coins (always throw on the ground in these circumstances as it distracts them) and then scarpered.

95% of itinerants in the area are more or less harmless (although not adverse to a little pickpocketing) but stay to the well lit streets and as applies anywhere, be vigilant and avoid ostentatious shows of wealth.

Sammon
02-28-10, 13:54

Another piece of advice is do not walk on the sidewalk. When you walk on the street not many vagrants bother you including the beggar children. In the short section from Executive to LA cafe it is usually crowded and you are not in real danger .

Warbucks
03-01-10, 02:03

Did not like this experience.I also doubt if you were in any danger. Filipino criminals if you amateur profile (read the news-papers) them like weak targets. Women, and old men or (I think) silly looking old men. With your build and being from Chicago sound like you would have been more than capable of handling yourself.

When I first moved out here reading these pages I thought I was going into the second coming of the movie District 9 but I have yet to experience anything like a mugging or pick-pocketing. I have had some slight harassment from Flips on the streets but an ice grill usually puts them straight.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ice+grill

I said it once and I am saying it again. Most mongers go out looking like shit, especially most sexpats and again a lot of them still seem to get set up for a "potential mugging."

I don’t know as board member RedField10 insinuated in the past maybe I am just God’s Favorite :D

Disclaimer:

Before any religious nuts chime in please note I am a devout atheist.

Mark17
03-01-10, 04:32
The last two times I was in Manila with my gf, she reminded me to put my wallet in my front pocket, and make sure I keep close watch on it. As there are many pickpockets in Manila. Bump into you, and snatch your wallet.

GoodEnough
03-01-10, 12:31
Remember please that this is a third world country that may be hovering around fourth world status (if there is such a category.) The economic situation is deteriorating for many people, and about half the population gets by on less than $2 a day. It should not, therefore, be exactly shocking that there are lots of panhandlers, child beggars, and street hustlers. That said, physical aggression is pretty rare, at least from what I've seen, and I don't think most people are in much danger.

It's true, at Warbucks has stated, that many (most?) guys who are here to indulge in their sexual fantasies dress as if they had slept in their clothes, last shaved three days prior, and forgot what real shoes look like.

GE

X Man
03-01-10, 13:50
Thanks for the heads up...it's only silly old men, or maybe silly-dressed old men, who have to worry. If you are a gold-chained, young, hip-hopping, black ass you command the world.

Warbucks, being a straight up kind of guy...I'm sure you approach silly old men on the streets to warn them. "Yo, man, U da walkin' honkie target -git U'self some threads, or U gonna be fkd."

We appreciate the service you provide. Thanks man. X

BTW, what should us silly old men wear? Send us a picture of yourself so that we can know what a true man looks like. My plaid bell bottoms are getting worn out and I have no idea what to wear!

(I think) silly looking old men.

SNIP

I said it once and I am saying it again. Most mongers go out looking like shit, especially most sexpats and again a lot of them still seem to get set up for a "potential mugging."

X Man
03-01-10, 14:20
I just took the [CodeWord140] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord140) out of Warbuck, but time to step back and see the glimmer of truth behind his old man racism.

If you are a well dressed, distinguished older gentlman, you might look like a great target in the Philippines. You might also look like someone who has connections and friends. You likely carry yourself with more confidence.
On the other hand, if you drunkenly stagger down the street in shorts/ t-shirt / fuzzy-haired-white-glimmering-beer belly hanging out under the t-shirt - you look like a fuck-wit. A low risk target?

I'm past the half century mark, and I usally wear shorts in Philippines. I also have a seriousness, a military bearing (earned)which seems to earn respect, or sometimes irritation -- but rarely provokes anyone to risk confrontation -- other than women, men who have a good head start, men with 20 years age advantage, or those with muscular fingers and can insult or confront from the safety of their keyboards.

Excuse me gents, but it seems to be raining. I need to pull in my laundry. Looking forward to pulling in the pink lacy lingerie left over from the gal last night -- bless her tight little twat. X

I also doubt if you were in any danger. Filipino criminals if you amateur profile (read the news-papers) them like weak targets. Women, and old men or (I think) silly looking old men. With your build and being from Chicago sound like you would have been more than capable of handling yourself.

When I first moved out here reading these pages I thought I was going into the second coming of the movie District 9 but I have yet to experience anything like a mugging or pick-pocketing. I have had some slight harassment from Flips on the streets but an ice grill usually puts them straight.

I don’t know as board member RedField10 insinuated in the past maybe I am just God’s Favorite :D

Disclaimer:

Chocha Monger
03-01-10, 14:44
I also doubt if you were in any danger. Filipino criminals if you amateur profile (read the news-papers) them like weak targets. Women, and old men or (I think) silly looking old men. With your build and being from Chicago sound like you would have been more than capable of handling yourself.

Disclaimer:

Warbucks,

Would some old fart dressed in plaid bell bottoms, polyester shirt two sizes too small and platform shoes qualify as a silly looking old man?

X Man
03-01-10, 15:04
CM, you bitter fk - what do you know about plaid bell bottoms? ;-)

I'll have to dig up the old picture once again. It was taken in Davao and it featured my cock firmly inserted into a lady I met at Cherry Blossom two days earlier. Penis envy?

It was a lock the door, unzip, and insert moment, and my shorts were checked!. She was really a fun fk....too bad she's a mama now in some 1st world country. I mean too bad for us and probably for her hubby. Good for her of course. X

Warbucks,

Would some old fart dressed in plaid bell bottoms, polyester shirt two sizes too small and platform shoes qualify as a silly looking old man?

Cunning Stunt
03-01-10, 16:30

...of course with the polyester shirt unbuttoned to the waist exposing a weedy chest sprouting a few tufts of sad looking, graying bum fluff and a dustbin lid sized gold medallion.

I'm sure that I've seen that guy in LAC!

Red Kilt
08-01-10, 15:47
Luckily this aint the birth certificate, eh? lmao.I know my part in this whole street team thing will be blasting the fuck out of the new album on my long drive to and from work everyday 40-45 minutes. I have one section of road that is littered with red lights and the weather is still nice enough for windows being down. Ill pull up and the old lady next to me will look at me, Ill look at her and then BOOOM "HORSE THE BAND. HORSE THE BAND, HORSE THE BAND. Horse the motherfuckin band, motherfucker...."

Well ..... am I the only one who has absolutely no idea what this new poster is saying, and how it relates to being robbed near LAC (used to be)?

Mackin
08-01-10, 18:43
You are not the only one who has no idea what he is trying to say

Bundanko
08-17-10, 19:02
Thanks for the heads up...it's only silly old men, or maybe silly-dressed old men, who have to worry. If you are a gold-chained, young, hip-hopping, black ass you command the world.

Warbucks, being a straight up kind of guy...I'm sure you approach silly old men on the streets to warn them. "Yo, man, U da walkin' honkie target -git U'self some threads, or U gonna be fkd."

We appreciate the service you provide. Thanks man. X

BTW, what should us silly old men wear? Send us a picture of yourself so that we can know what a true man looks like. My plaid bell bottoms are getting worn out and I have no idea what to wear!I suggest you observe how the local behave and wear. If you nearly behave like them and wear similar local dress they will assume you are old timers there and will bother you less. Don't look and dress like you just arrived and wearing the dress alien to local.

Bundanko
08-17-10, 19:10
Luckily this aint the birth certificate, eh? lmao.I know my part in this whole street team thing will be blasting the fuck out of the new album on my long drive to and from work everyday 40-45 minutes. I have one section of road that is littered with red lights and the weather is still nice enough for windows being down. Ill pull up and the old lady next to me will look at me, Ill look at her and then BOOOM "HORSE THE BAND. HORSE THE BAND, HORSE THE BAND. Horse the motherfuckin band, motherfucker...."Can you kindly tell in simple language?

Econo Tech
08-18-10, 05:46
Can you kindly tell in simple language?After his "CHERRY" post - he disappeared - does that mean anything?

BionicMan
08-18-10, 14:59
Well ..... am I the only one who has absolutely no idea what this new poster is saying, and how it relates to being robbed near LAC (used to be)?
you are not alone!
probably the guy is very "alone" in his mind paradise...:)

RCA Knight
10-20-10, 13:29
Went to Manila for one day/2 nights business trip, my second trip in a month. Stayed at Lotus Garden without booking, only had the expensive rooms, 3000 pesos, always wonder why many people come to this shitty town or shortage of mid class hotels.

First night business dinner and went to normal bar. Second night free night,
I started at 10 PM, walking to LA Cafe or Manila Bay cafe. I had been to Ermita a few times, walking at night no problem except lots of street hustlers trying to sell you viagra or bring you ladies, but that night I ran into some incident.

The street was very empty after a big rain shower, its only 5 min walk to LA cafe, at the dark section of del Pilar St, a man ran to me and at first trying to tell me he knows nice girls, I said thank you and ignored him, suddenly he stepped in front of me, and he said I need to pay him protection fee because I am passing his territory, I tried to walk away, but he showed me he had something shape like a hand gun under his shirt, there was nobody nearby at least for 30 meters, he told me to give him 500 pesos for protection fee. He definitely had something under his shirt, maybe a fake gun, but who knows.

It was dark and no one near, I had about 300 pesos in my shirt front pocket, I don't want to reach into my jean pocket for my wallet, I was afraid he would take all my cash about 4-5000 pesos and my credit cards or IDs, so I gave him all the money in my shirt front pocket about 300 something, he still said sarcastically "only this" but did not ask for more, I saw a taxi coming, I ran and stopped it and jumped in, he ran away as well. That was the end of it.

I wasn't scared, just trying to prevent the worst possible scenario, I could have run away, or shouted, but after watching the HK hostage crisis, I just tried to end it quickly and peacefully by giving in some money. And I took the taxi for only 50 meters, and got extorted again, asking me for 100, gave him 50, the driver smiled and said okay.

Amavida
10-22-10, 02:02
It was dark and no one near, I had about 300 pesos in my shirt front pocket, I don't want to reach into my jean pocket for my wallet, I was afraid he would take all my cash about 4-5000 pesos and my credit cards or IDs, so I gave him all the money in my shirt front pocket about 300 something, he still said sarcastically "only this" but did not ask for more, I saw a taxi coming, I ran and stopped it and jumped in, he ran away as well. That was the end of it.

I wasn't scared, just trying to prevent the worst possible scenario, I could have run away, or shouted, but after watching the HK hostage crisis, I just tried to end it quickly and peacefully by giving in some money. And I took the taxi for only 50 meters, and got extorted again, asking me for 100, gave him 50, the driver smiled and said okay.

You did exactly the right thing.
Just because he appeared to be alone there is no way to know he is.
In this country co- crims, friends & bystanders can appear from nowhere & join in beating you to a pulp with fists/feet/rocks & timber within seconds. If they get you in a secluded area then you get a knife in your gut's for good measure.

Believe me, I have witnessed this in BROAD DAYLIGHT.

Never be on foot outside of crowds.
AV

Cunning Stunt
10-22-10, 09:35
That bit of Del Pilar between Pedro Gil and LA Cafe is a muggers paradise. Its badly lit and there never seems to be many people around at night. Best stay on Mabini and cut through on Salas (the one with the Middle Eastern Doner Kebab place on it). You have to run the gauntlet of beggars etc but it is much safer.

Key Master
10-23-10, 06:44
That bit of Del Pilar between Pedro Gil and LA Cafe is a muggers paradise. Its badly lit and there never seems to be many people around at night. Best stay on Mabini and cut through on Salas (the one with the Middle Eastern Doner Kebab place on it). You have to run the gauntlet of beggars etc but it is much safer.

I agree Del Pillar is somewhat more difficult. I always try to walk on the street if no traffic is there. You can do it, just let the other cars pass if there are any. Too many nooks and crannies on the sides. It's not just that street either. At late night, I'll walk on the street instead of the sidewalk on Mabini too. I think also not for little creeps coming out at you, but also for your ankle's safety. The sidewalks are crap.

Gumby2004
10-23-10, 15:21
The street was very empty after a big rain shower, its only 5 min walk to LA cafe, at the dark section of del Pilar St, a man ran to me and at first trying to tell me he knows nice girls, I said thank you and ignored him, suddenly he stepped in front of me, and he said I need to pay him protection fee because I am passing his territory, I tried to walk away, but he showed me he had something shape like a hand gun under his shirt, there was nobody nearby at least for 30 meters, he told me to give him 500 pesos for protection fee. He definitely had something under his shirt, maybe a fake gun, but who knows.

Reminds me of a close call I had at the same location last month. Walking to LA from Palm Plaza at about 1am. I'm in the middle of a heated text argument with a bubblehead I had met a few days earlier. I was so distracted by the argument that I was unaware of how vulnerable I was.

After turning the corner of Del Pilar and Pedro Gil, I pause to look both ways before crossing the street. As I stop, I realize that two guys are just a few feet behind me. One of them alerts me by saying, "Good evening, Sir", as they close in. It was obvious what was going to happen next.

I wonder if they later realized that the silly greeting thwarted their plan by giving me that one second warning I needed to double time across the street to relative safety.

Questor55
10-23-10, 18:29
Perhaps I can get some support from other members on this issue.

This particular thread is far too limiting, due to its title.

I suggest changing the title to, "Safety Issues". The point being that it is not specifically about Manila, nor L A Cafe, but, rather, about safety concerns and member's 'Heads Ups' advice, throughout the Philippines.

For example, Cebu, Davao, and CDO, are just some of the places where it pays to know the score and be aware of potential dangers.

Rubio Tonto
10-23-10, 23:51
Perhaps I can get some support from other members on this issue.

This particular thread is far too limiting, due to its title.

I suggest changing the title to, "Safety Issues". The point being that it is not specifically about Manila, nor L A Cafe, but, rather, about safety concerns and member's 'Heads Ups' advice, throughout the Philippines.

For example, Cebu, Davao, and CDO, are just some of the places where it pays to know the score and be aware of potential dangers.

I agree, good idea.

Patricio1974
10-31-10, 21:57
I agree Del Pillar is somewhat more difficult. I always try to walk on the street if no traffic is there. You can do it, just let the other cars pass if there are any. Too many nooks and crannies on the sides. It's not just that street either. At late night, I'll walk on the street instead of the sidewalk on Mabini too. I think also not for little creeps coming out at you, but also for your ankle's safety. The sidewalks are crap.Same experience here. Del Pilar is a place where you need eyes in your back after dark. Yesterday evening i experienced something else there. I was stopped by the police for crossing the street when there was traffic. All i got however was a warning.

Freezone
11-13-10, 03:21
That bit of Del Pilar between Pedro Gil and LA Cafe is a muggers paradise. Its badly lit and there never seems to be many people around at night. Best stay on Mabini and cut through on Salas (the one with the Middle Eastern Doner Kebab place on it). You have to run the gauntlet of beggars etc but it is much safer.Although I do agree, Mabini heading north from Pedro Gil is no picnic either. Many of these streets are just as dark and creepy as Del Pilar at night. Even for short hauls, I think it is sometimes best to just jump on a jeepney heading in the direction you are going and then get off.

FZ

Andy Stevens
12-12-10, 12:35
When in doubt I'll usually catch a taxi to my destination even if it's close. I mean what is the starting fare for a taxi 30-70pesos? My life is worth much more than that. However, I will never catch the taxi right outside LA Cafe with a girl. I heard too many stories of visitors being set up by the police.

Wicked Roger
12-12-10, 20:46
When in doubt I'll usually catch a taxi to my destination even if it's close. I mean what is the starting fare for a taxi 30-70pesos? My life is worth much more than that. However, I will never catch the taxi right outside LA Cafe with a girl. I heard too many stories of visitors being set up by the police.Very true. I was nearly caught in one of those a few years back, went back to the hotel via the back streets where a police check was waiting. But managed to bluff my way through.

Another reason to never carry your original I'd with you. If you must take a photocopy and that will [CodeWord140] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord140) off the police. I had none and said come back to the hotel. Also never get out of the taxi, don't even answer when they ask "do you have a gun" as then they say get out and frisk.

LAC / MBC never been a favourite place regardless of that, prefer Havana Cafe but each to his own flavour

Cunning Stunt
12-19-10, 15:30
As it gets closer to Christmas, things are getting a little more dodgy in Ermita / Malate than I have seen in some time. In the area earlier today and got hustled not once, but twice by groups of street kids. These little bastards usually hunt in packs of three and while a couple distract you, a third will try to dip his hand into your pocket. Luckily I never carry a wallet (on anything else of value) in this area and the little cash that I was carrying was in a Velcro pocket. But twice in a matter of a few hours is a bit rich.

The itinerants, beggars and street sleepers are far more numerous than I ever remember, not only in this area but everywhere in the NCR, and are obviously hurting and pretty desperate. They obviously view every foreigner as a potential Santa, bringing them some early prezzies.

Take care out there and keep your wits about you, particularly over the next few weeks.

George111
12-19-10, 23:35
I had a friend that was stopped by a shorter guy than him that told him he better give him money because he was the mafia. My friend could have beat the crap out of him but just walked away and told him no way. But if he did beat the crap out of him, you know what will happen. All of his friends would have come out of the woods.

Pinaypounder
04-18-11, 02:49
I am basically a good guy and I think that is what protects me. I got robbed once, I was walking in Pasay near to my favorite hotel close to Firehouse strip of girly bars. I had walked in this area dozens of times with my young kids, wife and others. I have walked all parts of manila, cebu and other places early in the am and I have never felt threatened, I just smile and have confidence in my physichal abilities.

But one time I made an error.

This time I was with a young friend who I felt I need to feed prior to getting her best performance it was noonish (I like 2 freebies a day personally). A robber got me from behind, scratched me trying to grab my gold chain, luckily it broke and the pendant and the chain fell the ground.

I turned to go after him but the lady was screaming NO NO NO. Cause she was in the way he got a good head start and her screaming stopped me, fuck was I mad! I will never forget the sight of the little puke as he ran.

I filed a report with the Police, and my hotel guys, I love these guys, were pissed off and offered to go out with me, I wanted to go trolling for this prick.

Alas all is well lessson learned, don't show gold, I was saddened by this but beleive in fate and will go back and have actually since.

My rule is never drink to much unless surrounded with women and never insult the locales and for the most part I love these people and it shows.

PP

Econo Tech
04-19-11, 06:34
I turned to go after him but the lady was screaming NO NO NO. Cause she was in the way he got a good head start and her screaming stopped me, fuck was I mad! I will never forget the sight of the little puke as he ran.Your lady would have screamed, in the fear of the robber pulling out a knife and slashing you. No kidding. People commit murder in Phil for much less. I don't blame her.

WestCoast1
04-20-11, 00:58
A robber got me from behind, scratched me trying to grab my gold chain, luckily it broke and the pendant and the chain fell the ground.

PPPP, not so smart to have open jewelry flashing in Malate.

Chocha Monger
04-20-11, 03:13
Strange to see this thread still active after some resident Manila sexpats swore it was safe.

Frank4220
05-07-11, 23:12
I am basically a good guy and I think that is what protects me. I got robbed once, I was walking in Pasay near to my favorite hotel close to Firehouse strip of girly bars. I had walked in this area dozens of times with my young kids, wife and others. I have walked all parts of manila, cebu and other places early in the am and I have never felt threatened, I just smile and have confidence in my physichal abilities.

But one time I made an error.

This time I was with a young friend who I felt I need to feed prior to getting her best performance it was noonish (I like 2 freebies a day personally). A robber got me from behind, scratched me trying to grab my gold chain, luckily it broke and the pendant and the chain fell the ground.

I turned to go after him but the lady was screaming NO NO NO. Cause she was in the way he got a good head start and her screaming stopped me, fuck was I mad! I will never forget the sight of the little puke as he ran.

I filed a report with the Police, and my hotel guys, I love these guys, were pissed off and offered to go out with me, I wanted to go trolling for this prick.

Alas all is well lessson learned, don't show gold, I was saddened by this but beleive in fate and will go back and have actually since.

My rule is never drink to much unless surrounded with women and never insult the locales and for the most part I love these people and it shows.

PPI hate to think what may have happened to you the second you got your hands on that prick! My guess is that every Flip male with in a block would jump you. Cause that is the way these guys roll. With a propensity for edged weapons and such, call it a good learning experience.

Any one wearing gold chains and fancy watches is really asking for it. Glad only your pride was injured, could have turned out much worse.

Frenzy3
05-11-11, 05:09
I wear the cargo pants and t-shiirt, with the chains and move around cebu with out any major problems, I even walked through the junkera lane during the day, which I will not do again.

The street I live on alopez labungon the cops I know ask me not to walk down at night (I rather not walk after 10pm, did it once and saw why) , so I have my helper get me a taxi or ride my motor bike,

You have to be careful in and country in certain places and different times. And it not matter what size you are unless you can quickly clone you will be out numbered. I have a gun and only 2 times have I had to show it, I also have the shark look when I am ready to kill and have have the drug addicts run away rather than stay and ask for money.

They will kill here for 3000 or less so do not be a tough guy, stay smart and live long. Now back to that tight pussy

Jambo
05-11-11, 14:32
Couple of years ago, I was waiting for my fiance to have her OFW lecture from the nuns? Down not far from the waterfront in Ermita I believe. I decided to go for a walk. Long walk along the crowded street, no problem. Then I see a canal with some water, and a walkway heading back where I wanted to go."this looks like a good short-cut" I think. Bad idea. The nice walkway turned into a squatters camp. More and more. Perhaps 1/2+ mile of squatters. People living in container boxes stacked 3 high. Even had little stores set up. I had an expensive DSLR camera with me. I would have loved to shoot some pics, but geez, that camera would be like 10 years salary for them. So I kept the cam in my bag and just MARCHED, back straight, purposeful stride, smile on my face. Eventually ended up at Mabini street and safety! I was noticed but not hassled. Lots of moms and children along there, was probably a factor. Anyway what kind of kano would be crazy enough to walk there?

FWIW I prefer to wear heavy leather shoes with thick soles, cotton slacks and a shirt with collar, dark-colored watch, no rings.

Dwight Fry
05-11-11, 21:41
Didn't know foreigners could own / carry guns in the Philippines. It is forbidden in most countries. Then again maybe you are a local!

Dwight Fry
05-11-11, 21:51
Have walked around Tondo and in and around the wet markets both day and night. Never had any problems and felt fairly safe. Much safer then walking through the ghetto in Midwestern America! But carrying a camera bag does increase your chances of a mugging just as wearing a designer coat and Cartier glasses would in the hood!

Frenzy3
05-12-11, 10:23
Guns ownership is banned by foreigner, hence my "police friend". As for the squatters, I use to rent gf2 a house in one, they are tame they are very family orientated, the only problem I had was police turning up one day thinking the girls where forced to live there.

Cunning Stunt
05-12-11, 11:51
We used to have a bruvver member who loved to boast about how he used to swagger down Manila's meaner streets laden from head to toe with a kings ransom in gold bling and designer threads, kicking old ladies and kids into the gutter and scaring the tougher locals into cowed submission with his meanest hard man glare.

Wonder what happened to him?

Slippery
05-12-11, 21:04
We used to have a bruvver member who loved to boast about how he used to swagger down Manila's meaner streets laden from head to toe with a kings ransom in gold bling and designer threads, kicking old ladies and kids into the gutter and scaring the tougher locals into cowed submission with his meanest hard man glare.

Wonder what happened to him? Admin banned him from this board. Then I saw him on another board but haven't seen him there in perhaps three months. Maybe he got booted there too.

Chocha Monger
05-14-11, 00:51
Wonder what happened to him?If it's who I think it is he's doing quite well and living a life most mongers can only dream of living. Politics aside who wouldn't like to be young and wealthy living in pussy paradise? Some members here have met him and he's not such a bad fellow at all. He's quite generous with the ladies and they love him. Unlike me, he is not a proponent of the hard shag and 200 pesos cab fare. :rolleyes:

Soapy Smith
05-14-11, 11:05
If it's who I think it is he's doing quite well and living a life most mongers can only dream of living.The guy CS is talking about used to drop hints about doing some sort of mercenary military work in Afghanistan, I think, or maybe he really had some dangerous duty like privatized meal preparation for the troops and just liked pretending to be a mercenary. So when he dropped off the board I wondered if maybe he'd caught some lead poisoning and was pushing up daisies. So does your friend's "doing really well" have something to do with 72 virgins? Just joking. I see he was banned from the forum last Fall, although Jackson doesn't have the story posted in the banned users forum.

Cunning Stunt
05-14-11, 11:40
The guy CS is talking about used to drop hints about doing some sort of mercenary military work in Afghanistan, I think, or maybe he really had some dangerous duty like privatized meal preparation for the troops and just liked pretending to be a mercenary. So when he dropped off the board I wondered if maybe he'd caught some lead poisoning and was pushing up daisies. So does your friend's "doing really well" have something to do with 72 virgins? Just joking. I see he was banned from the forum last Fall, although Jackson doesn't have the story posted in the banned users forum.He did reappear for awhile under another handle but Jackson quickly got wise to that and booted his ass out again.

Although I had a bit of a flame war going with him, he was fun to have about although his constant braggadocio did get a bit much at times. He was so easy to wind up and went on for longer than the Duracell bunny. Nearly as long as X Man (only kidding, X!).

I suspect that his dangerous job was as Bin Ladens personal swimming coach:D.

Chocha Monger
05-14-11, 17:00
He did reappear for awhile under another handle but Jackson quickly got wise to that and booted his ass out again.

Although I had a bit of a flame war going with him, he was fun to have about although his constant braggadocio did get a bit much at times. He was so easy to wind up and went on for longer than the Duracell bunny. Nearly as long as X Man (only kidding, X!).

I suspect that his dangerous job was as Bin Ladens personal swimming coach. CS,

Seems like you and Skip want this guy dead. Isn't that a bit harsh over a little bragging? :D

Frank4220
05-15-11, 04:57
Couple of years ago, I was waiting for my fiance to have her OFW lecture from the nuns? Down not far from the waterfront in Ermita I believe. I decided to go for a walk. Long walk along the crowded street, no problem. Then I see a canal with some water, and a walkway heading back where I wanted to go."this looks like a good short-cut" I think. Bad idea. The nice walkway turned into a squatters camp. More and more. Perhaps 1/2+ mile of squatters. People living in container boxes stacked 3 high. Even had little stores set up. I had an expensive DSLR camera with me. I would have loved to shoot some pics, but geez, that camera would be like 10 years salary for them. So I kept the cam in my bag and just MARCHED, back straight, purposeful stride, smile on my face. Eventually ended up at Mabini street and safety! I was noticed but not hassled. Lots of moms and children along there, was probably a factor. Anyway what kind of kano would be crazy enough to walk there?

FWIW I prefer to wear heavy leather shoes with thick soles, cotton slacks and a shirt with collar, dark-colored watch, no rings. I doubt squatters would be very conversant in the laws regarding firearms as it pertains to foreigners! Lots of gun owners packing here in the Philippines carry there sidearms in fanny packs or what appears to camera bags etc. Besides all their guns (squatters and crooks) would be illegal guns off the street anyway.

According to a reliable firearms source here in Philippines even off duty cops and other agencies should carry like that, even just inside waist band is discouraged and concealed holster apparently not allowed at this time. Stems from an incident with some idiot with permit to carry threatening people?

They probably thought your camera bag was for your gun and that no foreign guy would be dumb enough to walk through there unless he was armed.

I bet night time would have a different outcome in that part of town. You were lucky this time.

Stay safe

Cunning Stunt
05-15-11, 08:26
cs,

seems like you and skip want this guy dead. isn't that a bit harsh over a little bragging? . dead? not unless poking fun at an obvious target is fatal. you of all people should know about '[CodeWord140] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord140) taking' as you are always extracting the [CodeWord109] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord109) out of us!

Frenzy3
05-15-11, 10:36
i doubt squatters would be very conversant in the laws regarding firearms as it pertains to foreigners! lots of gun owners packing here in the philippines carry there sidearms in fanny packs or what appears to camera bags etc. besides all their guns (squatters and crooks) would be illegal guns off the street anyway.

according to a reliable firearms source here in philippines even off duty cops and other agencies should carry like that, even just inside waist band is discouraged and concealed holster apparently not allowed at this time. stems from an incident with some idiot with permit to carry threatening people?

they probably thought your camera bag was for your gun and that no foreign guy would be dumb enough to walk through there unless he was armed.

i bet night time would have a different outcome in that part of town. you were lucky this time.

stay safegood point i use the shoulder bag and bum bag. i take the gun out when going to malls but still have the bag with me.

most squatters do not have guns due to costs and the grape vine. it is easy to find out who is rumored to have a gun. and for the 8k to 16k the gun is probably sold already for drugs or has no bullets. i would worry about knifes, sticks and rocks.

Soapy Smith
05-15-11, 12:40
CS, Seems like you and Skip want this guy dead. Isn't that a bit harsh over a little bragging? :DHe was a lot of fun, and predictable. CS would poke at him and he'd go off. He had this world of braggadocio built up around himself, and at the first little prick at his persona from CS or somebody else the braggadocio expanded tenfold. I perceived it as a sign of insecurity.

There's a reason why most murders are committed by intimates. It's because true anger is triggered by people who matter most to us, so that a betrayal is felt intensely enough to trigger homicidal rage. WB just never rose to the level of significance that we'd have wanted him dead.

He was sometimes a good source of information on places I might not otherwise have been inclined to check out. And he was bent on running a different lifestyle, like insisting that he'd never stoop to anything below a 4- or 5-star hotel. CS and I, in contrast, are content to monger from Eurotel and other low-rent places. In my case I always liked the volume of women that could be afforded by skimping on the quality of accommodations. And by keeping my mongering in the low rent district I didn't need to worry much about having my "respectable" business associates catch me with my pants down. CS, on the other hand, lives (or lived) in Makati and only needed Eurotel or Sogo for a few hours of pounding the loins with his latest acquisitions.

So WB was entertaining to watch because he was predictable. I wasn't into doing the poking, but it was just as entertaining to watch when CS did it. He was much too entertaining for us to have wanted him dead.

Cunning Stunt
05-15-11, 20:40
He was sometimes a good source of information on places I might not otherwise have been inclined to check out. And he was bent on running a different lifestyle, like insisting that he'd never stoop to anything below a 4- or 5-star hotel. CS and I, in contrast, are content to monger from Eurotel and other low-rent places. In my case I always liked the volume of women that could be afforded by skimping on the quality of accommodations. And by keeping my mongering in the low rent district I didn't need to worry much about having my "respectable" business associates catch me with my pants down. CS, on the other hand, lives (or lived) in Makati and only needed Eurotel or Sogo for a few hours of pounding the loins with his latest acquisitions.Must disagree with you here, Skip. He was a most unadventurous monger who reported once from MBC (he admitted it was his cherry visit) and once from EDSA Ent Complex (also, I think, his first visit). You are correct in that he tried to make out that he used 4 or 5 star hotels like ST flops, which was just plain silly. He posted maybe half a dozen photos, all of apparent woofers and the ones he posted on the Thai board were openly ridiculed, which upset him no end!

Apart from this, he was endlessly entertaining:D.

BTW, I live in Paranaque, not Makati.

Chocha Monger
05-15-11, 21:01
Well I am relieved to know that you gents mean him no harm. After all in the hobby you can find all types. Monger long enough and other hobbyists come to know you for certain things.

CS likes to give them the [CodeWord140] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord140)!

Freebie gives them used school books and cell phones for their virginity.

Skip Kost likes to use his teeth and tongue on the girls even though he is the one paying to be pleasured.

WB would never root a girl in less than 4 or 5 star accommodations and he would give iPads for their virginity.

As for me, I'm known to be a cynic, master of the hard shag and seed with 200 pesos taxi fare as the climax. ;)

By the way, can you guys list some of those low rent shag joints in the vicinity of EDSA Complex? I have a full schedule for summer and it's probably a good idea to have somewhere to shag other than my primary location.

Soapy Smith
05-16-11, 05:53
Skip Kost likes to use his teeth and tongue on the girls even though he is the one paying to be pleasured.

By the way, can you guys list some of those low rent shag joints in the vicinity of EDSA Complex? I have a full schedule for summer and it's probably a good idea to have somewhere to shag other than my primary location. Oh I let them lick and bite me a little bit too. I love having my nipples sucked and bitten. Gently. And if you take good care of them they're usually more than willing to do it and keep at it for awhile.

There's a Sogo within walking distance of the EDSA Complex. You can probably see it from the front of the Complex. Look across EDSA kitty corner, slightly to the left. It's a big red ugly thing with some yellow and green painted in to break up the ugliness. When you come out the entrance of the EDSA Complex turn left (East) and walk across Harrison. There's a pedestrian footbridge that goes at an angle across the top of EDSA. At the other end of the footbridge turn East again, cross Harrison, and you're standing right beside the Sogo. Sogo will rent for short periods. 3,6. 12 hours. So they're okay for an ST, but not so comfortable for an LT. CS has featured various Sogo and Eurotel locations in his photos in the photo forum, so you can check them out that way. If his women are posed in front of a big photo mural of some famous European city, he's in Eurotel. Many of the others are in Sogo. In some of his photos you can even see the Sogo advertisements on the hotel room wall. They're pretty cheap, so they won't break your bank and you'll still have 200 pesos left for the woman's cab fare.

If you want to go higher class, there's always the Heritage Hotel, also across EDSA from the Complex. When you get off the other side of the pedestrian bridge, turn to the West instead, and it's a short distance down. Or you can impress the lady by taking a cab from in front of the complex. Of course the cabs waiting there are the kind that never use the meter, and they'll want 200 pesos just to take you down to a U-Turn slot near Roxas Blvd. And then back up 200 feet to the Heritage. Then you won't have 200 left to give the woman cab fare after you kick her out.

BTW, there's this great new invention called Google Earth. It's free, and with it you can zoom in an aerial view of the whole area around the EDSA Complex. On it there are markers for bars, restaurants, hotels, and all sorts of photos of interesting things.

FreebieFan
05-18-11, 11:01
Well I am relieved to know that you gents mean him no harm. After all in the hobby you can find all types. Monger long enough and other hobbyists come to know you for certain things.

CS likes to give them the [CodeWord140] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord140)!

Freebie gives them used school books and cell phones for their virginity.

WB would never root a girl in less than 4 or 5 star accommodations and he would give iPads for their virginity.

As for me, I'm known to be a cynic, master of the hard shag and seed with 200 pesos taxi fare as the climax. .

By the way, can you guys list some of those low rent shag joints in the vicinity of EDSA Complex? I have a full schedule for summer and it's probably a good idea to have somewhere to shag other than my primary location.Damn, either you have a good memory or you can use the search function better than most.

I've changed tactics now. Now I give nice slutweat out (suspender belts, dog collars, barely there bikinis. And the odd schoolie uniform. LOL) Same results tho. What a fun group we are. !

You may want to try the old Kamagong Inn. Just past the gas station. Think Sogo, then gas station hten Kamagong Inn. They had a few nice suites with different themes (and yes I had a virgin there from Caloocan, no cellphones handed over, and hopefully they have changed the sheets!). That might work.

Gumby2004
05-31-11, 03:00
this post isn't about being robbed, but about a suspicious interaction i had last month at mbc.

while chatting up a honey one afternoon, my ladyboy radar picked up a faint reading. knowing that ladyboys are not allowed in the bar, and the reading being tiny and brief, i dismissed it. we later agreed to meet at my room at palm plaza in about 20 minutes.

she seemed to take a lot longer than usual. about thirty minutes late, she finally shows up with a second honey in tow. i didn't remember seeing her at mbc earlier, when i was chatting up the first honey.

honey #1 explained that she was on her period, and offered her friend as an alternate. while her friend was a 10, the sudden switch and the fact that i couldn't remember seeing her in the bar set off alarms. concerned that honey #2 may be ****, and being turned off by the waste of time, i told them to split.

while listening to #1s protests, honey #2 roams around the room. i wasn't worried, because i had just returned, and my valuables were still locked up.

when i finally step up new york style, honey #1 shows a change in body language that was unusually aggressive for a filipina. oddly, honey #2 was all smiles and apologetic the whole time.

on their way out, i wondered if i avoided a scam or rip-off. anyone experience something like this recently? any comments? thanks.

gumby.

Chocha Monger
05-31-11, 03:55
this post isn't about being robbed, but about a suspicious interaction i had last month at mbc.

while chatting up a honey one afternoon, my ladyboy radar picked up a faint reading. knowing that ladyboys are not allowed in the bar, and the reading being tiny and brief, i dismissed it. we later agreed to meet at my room at palm plaza in about 20 minutes.

she seemed to take a lot longer than usual. about thirty minutes late, she finally shows up with a second honey in tow. i didn't remember seeing her at mbc earlier, when i was chatting up the first honey.

honey #1 explained that she was on her period, and offered her friend as an alternate. while her friend was a 10, the sudden switch and the fact that i couldn't remember seeing her in the bar set off alarms. concerned that honey #2 may be ****, and being turned off by the waste of time, i told them to split.

while listening to #1s protests, honey #2 roams around the room. i wasn't worried, because i had just returned, and my valuables were still locked up.

when i finally step up new york style, honey #1 shows a change in body language that was unusually aggressive for a filipina. oddly, honey #2 was all smiles and apologetic the whole time.

on their way out, i wondered if i avoided a scam or rip-off. anyone experience something like this recently? any comments? thanks.

gumby. gumby,

it is unlikely that robbery was the intent but [CodeWord123] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord123) certainly was on the menu. honey #1 was definitely packing and determined to play the 'crying game' with you. luckily you escaped with your brown eye intact sans bbbj. :eek:

OldLoad
05-31-11, 23:19
I lived in Manila for 3 years. I found it was best to always map out in advance (during the day) a safe path to get home at night.

Best thing to do is to find a local taxi guy you can trust. I bought a Toyota Corolla and hired a driver / bodyguard. Latter I was able to split the cost of the car and driver with 2 other ex pats. If you monger much in Manila, a local driver / bodyguard is cheap insurance.

Econo Tech
06-02-11, 04:15
gumby,

it is unlikely that robbery was the intent but [CodeWord123] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord123) certainly was on the menu. honey #1 was definitely packing and determined to play the 'crying game' with you. luckily you escaped with your brown eye intact sans bbbj.come on cm, are you telling me that #1 was packing (a gun) or i misread your statement?

you guys give too much credit for the wannabe gangsters. unlike the real ones who will shoot for 50 peso and then think if it covered the cost of the ammo.

Chocha Monger
06-03-11, 00:49
Come on CM, are you telling me that #1 was packing (a gun) or I misread your statement?

You guys give too much credit for the wannabe gangsters. Unlike the real ones who will shoot for 50 peso and then think if it covered the cost of the ammo. Econo Tech you got it lost in translation. She wasn't packing heat. She was packing meat! Longanisa to be more specific. :D

PinkPearl
01-16-13, 02:49
After reading this thread it is apparent there are serious safety issues in Manila.

How does that compare to Angeles City, and in particular the area along & around Fields Avenue?

Is the bar area in AC considerably less dangerous than Manila?

Soapy Smith
01-16-13, 07:14
After reading this thread it is apparent there are serious safety issues in Manila.If Manila is so dangerous, why have there been no robbery or extortion posts in this thread in more than a year and a half? Any city can be dangerous for people who get drunk or put themselves into vulnerable situations. Exercise good judgment and you're unlikely to have serious problems.

PinkPearl
01-16-13, 11:10
If Manila is so dangerous, why have there been no robbery or extortion posts in this thread in more than a year and a half? Any city can be dangerous for people who get drunk or put themselves into vulnerable situations. Exercise good judgment and you're unlikely to have serious problems.Firstly, this thread only represents what is probably a tiny fraction of the incidents with foreigners in Manila.

Secondly, there is some very good advice in it that is likely helping some people to avoid Manila's dangers that wouldn't even exist in a safe destination not called Manila.

Thirdly, if you think it's only drunks who are in danger, you need to read the thread again. Just being in Manila is "putting yourself into a vulnerable situation", if you've come from somewhere else that is relatively safe.

Soapy Smith
01-17-13, 13:36
Thirdly, if you think it's only drunks who are in danger, you need to read the thread again. Just being in Manila is "putting yourself into a vulnerable situation", if you've come from somewhere else that is relatively safe.If you accept this premise, then your reasoning may be correct. It's probably better you don't put yourself in a vulnerable position by going to Manila. So if your intention is to go only to AC, then you should make your flight plans to take you directly into Clark Field and avoid NAIA in Manila altogether. If you were to fly into NAIA, there are generally three ways to get from there to AC: 1) take a cab or pre-arranged car from the airport to AC [most expensive]; 2) take a cab to one of the small Ermita hotels (Swagman or Southern Cross) that have regular shuttle buses to AC [less expensive, unless you stay overnight at the hotel]; or 3) take a cab to one of the bus terminals from which you can take a bus to AC (Baclaran, Cubao, Quiapo, etc.) [least expensive] All of these put you on the ground in Manila, in contact with average Filipinos, and therefore vulnerable to robberies and extortion. It's commendable you've done your homework.

Wicked Roger
01-18-13, 08:01
After reading this thread it is apparent there are serious safety issues in Manila.

How does that compare to Angeles City, and in particular the area along & around Fields Avenue?

Is the bar area in AC considerably less dangerous than Manila?And you think AC is less dangerous LOL LOL LOL LOL. This FR cracks me up.

Read and you will see why I laugh so much. So many murders and assassinations in AC nowadays (or foreigners) compared with Manila. As SK says read the board there is nothing mentnioned for a long time.

You seem a tad wimpy / girlie so better stay away from the Philippines and let the more experienced and less scared monger enjoy the pussy LOL as all you will do is stay in your room and cry like a baby LOL.

So funny that you think AC is less dangerous than Manila. IMHO I don't think so and so do a few mates who left AC after many years of living there because it was getting dangerous

I think Chicago and NYC and parts of Africa where I travel to are far more dangerous but I still go there as I am sensible abput what I do and where I go. You generalise far too much PP so stay way is my advice

FreebieFan
01-18-13, 08:18
Firstly, this thread only represents what is probably a tiny fraction of the incidents with foreigners in Manila.

Secondly, there is some very good advice in it that is likely helping some people to avoid Manila's dangers that wouldn't even exist in a safe destination not called Manila.

Thirdly, if you think it's only drunks who are in danger, you need to read the thread again. Just being in Manila is "putting yourself into a vulnerable situation", if you've come from somewhere else that is relatively safe.You could of course move to Pattaya. A quick perusal through the pattayadailynews. Com would make you think manila was a playground. Guys falling off buildings on a daily basis, BG's doing same. Drugs, road accidents, drownings. Pattaya really seems to have it all according to the news reports.

PinkPearl
01-20-13, 19:39
And you think AC is less dangerous LOL LOL LOL LOL. This FR cracks me up.

So funny that you think AC is less dangerous than Manila.Actually if you reread my post, I was not stating what I think re AC, but asking two questions. Those squigly symbols at the end of sentences are what is known as question marks.

Read and you will see why I laugh so much. So many murders and assassinations in AC nowadays (or foreigners) compared with Manila. As SK says read the board there is nothing mentnioned for a long time.Really? The following news report said the number of murders in AC was below the world, USA, and Thailand averages:

http://www.angelescity.com/index.php?newsID=297

In that light it doesn't sound so bad, eh?

So funny that you think AC is less dangerous than Manila. IMHO I don't think so and so do a few mates who left AC after many years of living there because it was getting dangerousThe murder rate in AC, according to the above url, is not much different than the rest of PI, & lower than Thailand where I have been spending a lot of time every year since 2007.

I think Chicago and NYC and parts of Africa where I travel to are far more dangerous but I still go there as I am sensible abput what I do and where I go.I've been in places more dangerous than those, but why bother when BKK or AC are far superior both in safety, price & pussy?

PinkPearl
01-21-13, 13:54
You could of course move to Pattaya. A quick perusal through the pattayadailynews. Com would make you think manila was a playground. Guys falling off buildings on a daily basis, BG's doing same. Drugs, road accidents, drownings. Pattaya really seems to have it all according to the news reports.Out of necessity I'm requiring an alternative to Thailand, hence AC as a strong candidate, but it's true, a lot of shit seems to happen in Pattaya. Also Phuket.

Although as a foreigner it's more what's happening to foreigners in such places that concerns me, especially in monger zones I'd be living in, rather than what the locals are doing to themselves & each other.

In Thailand I seem to recall some tourists being knifed & killed by Thais. Perhaps they were out at late at night, alone, with no one else around, except their assailants, so not a situation I'd find myself in, either in BKK, elsewhere in LOS, or in AC or Manilla.

If you accept this premise, then your reasoning may be correct. It's probably better you don't put yourself in a vulnerable position by going to Manila. So if your intention is to go only to AC, then you should make your flight plans to take you directly into Clark Field and avoid NAIA in Manila altogether. If you were to fly into NAIA, there are generally three ways to get from there to AC: 1) take a cab or pre-arranged car from the airport to AC [most expensive]; 2) take a cab to one of the small Ermita hotels (Swagman or Southern Cross) that have regular shuttle buses to AC [less expensive, unless you stay overnight at the hotel]; or 3) take a cab to one of the bus terminals from which you can take a bus to AC (Baclaran, Cubao, Quiapo, etc.) [least expensive] All of these put you on the ground in Manila, in contact with average Filipinos, and therefore vulnerable to robberies and extortion. It's commendable you've done your homework.Thank you for the detailed response. I've noticed some AC hotels will send a driver for pickup at the Manilla airport, but perhaps it would be safer to fly directly to Clark? Though I would assume the former airport is considerably less dangerous than hanging around LA Cafe in the wee hours of the morning.

Econo Tech
01-22-13, 04:41
Actually if you reread my post, I was not stating what I think re AC, but asking two questions. Those squigly symbols at the end of sentences are what is known as question marks.

Really? The following news report said the number of murders in AC was below the world, USA, and Thailand averages:

http://www.angelescity.com/index.php?newsID=297

In that light it doesn't sound so bad, eh?

The murder rate in AC, according to the above url, is not much different than the rest of PI, & lower than Thailand where I have been spending a lot of time every year since 2007.

I've been in places more dangerous than those, but why bother when BKK or AC are far superior both in safety, price & pussy?Well, seriously, do you think all the victims go and report their incidents to the cops? Especially foreigners? More often, the foreigner gets promptly deported so the case goes into cold storage.

PinkPearl
01-23-13, 04:12
Well, seriously, do you think all the victims go and report their incidents to the cops? Especially foreigners?Well, no, of course not.

Especially the dead ones my post was focused on.

Luvpuss
02-19-13, 01:39
Out of necessity I'm requiring an alternative to Thailand, hence AC as a strong candidate, but it's true, a lot of shit seems to happen in Pattaya. Also Phuket.

Although as a foreigner it's more what's happening to foreigners in such places that concerns me, especially in monger zones I'd be living in, rather than what the locals are doing to themselves & each other.

In Thailand I seem to recall some tourists being knifed & killed by Thais. Perhaps they were out at late at night, alone, with no one else around, except their assailants, so not a situation I'd find myself in, either in BKK, elsewhere in LOS, or in AC or Manilla.

Thank you for the detailed response. I've noticed some AC hotels will send a driver for pickup at the Manilla airport, but perhaps it would be safer to fly directly to Clark? Though I would assume the former airport is considerably less dangerous than hanging around LA Cafe in the wee hours of the morning.Dude, you sound paranoid. I think your chances of getting mugged are higher in Los Angeles than these places. I have never had an issue anywhere in SEA. Ever. If you stand tall, don't get fucked up, act like an ahole, or flash cash and jewelry, you will be fine in any of these towns. But that is asking alot since many dudes decide on the alternative.

Slippery
02-19-13, 09:52
Seems as if alot more guys in Manila have the program down as opposed to the drunkards, scumbags, convicted felons and other very unsavory characters that frequent AC. I was up there for 3 days last week and like Las Vegas, couldn't wait to get away from the place and am now back in the familiar environs of Malate. Home sweet home. Time to go for a walk, get some vodka for the house and a Magnum ice cream bar for the door man. Generally, it ain't a jungle out there unless you make it one by being a dick or hanging in the ghetto. If you're going to be a dog you're going to attract fleas and if you sleep with dogs you're going to get fleas.

Fredje1961
02-19-13, 12:42
Dude, you sound paranoid. I think your chances of getting mugged are higher in Los Angeles than these places. I have never had an issue anywhere in SEA. Ever. If you stand tall, don't get fucked up, act like an ahole, or flash cash and jewelry, you will be fine in any of these towns. But that is asking alot since many dudes decide on the alternative.I'm afraid he's beyond any hope.

PinkPearl
02-19-13, 20:31
Seems as if alot more guys in Manila have the program down as opposed to the drunkards, scumbags, convicted felons and other very unsavory characters that frequent AC. I was up there for 3 days last week and like Las Vegas, couldn't wait to get away from the place and am now back in the familiar environs of Malate. Home sweet home. Time to go for a walk, get some vodka for the house and a Magnum ice cream bar for the door man. Generally, it ain't a jungle out there unless you make it one by being a dick or hanging in the ghetto. If you're going to be a dog you're going to attract fleas and if you sleep with dogs you're going to get fleas.Are you calling AC a ghetto?

What makes you think AC has any more "drunkards, scumbugs, convicted felons and other unsavory characters" than your "familiar environs of Matete"?

Certainly the area near LA Cafe, if this thread is any indication of truth, is not very safe.

Dude, you sound paranoid. I think your chances of getting mugged are higher in Los Angeles than these places. I have never had an issue anywhere in SEA. Ever. If you stand tall, don't get fucked up, act like an ahole, or flash cash and jewelry, you will be fine in any of these towns. But that is asking alot since many dudes decide on the alternative.I've actually been mugged in daylight in Vancouver, Canada, which is safer than any of those places. Although this occurred in an alley in the poorest area of town known for theft, knifings, shootings, drugs & cheap crack & heroin addicted street sex workers.

I'm quite aware of the basic security measures you speak of, which would apply especially to AC, and not so much to certain other places in Asia or SEA. I think more caution is called for in AC & that you've never been there or read much of what's been said about it in the news or in online reports about it from sites such as this. Have you even read this thread about issues in Manilla?

Pete Benetar
02-20-13, 01:50
I've actually been mugged in daylight in Vancouver, Canada, which is safer than any of those places. Although this occurred in an alley in the poorest area of town known for theft, knifings, shootings, drugs & cheap crack & heroin addicted street sex workers.Just wanted to accurately paraphrase good preventive security habits.

Slippery
02-20-13, 04:27
PP, is English your first language? Where did I use the word "ghetto" and AC in the same sentence? As per "Matete" where the hell is that? Do you even know where you're talking about with that reference? Between "the poorest" area of Vancouver and "LA Café" you appear to be drawn to the darker areas of existence. Turn the lights on and the roaches will run.

Screaming Beaver
02-20-13, 05:02
Seems as if alot more guys in Manila have the program down as opposed to the drunkards, scumbags, convicted felons and other very unsavory characters that frequent AC. I was up there for 3 days last week and like Las Vegas, couldn't wait to get away from the place and am now back in the familiar environs of Malate. Home sweet home. Time to go for a walk, get some vodka for the house and a Magnum ice cream bar for the door man. Generally, it ain't a jungle out there unless you make it one by being a dick or hanging in the ghetto. If you're going to be a dog you're going to attract fleas and if you sleep with dogs you're going to get fleas.I'm in AC now and I would say except for the occasional scumbag low budget Attorney's that show up for three days to escape their middle aged flip hag wife's, you may be surprised just how many financially successful people here call this place their home. I know a lot of ex pats here who own business's here, back home or are retired CEO's or CFO's. I would agree if you are a value monger your chances of meeting these people are quite remote.

Rick Rock
02-20-13, 10:54
Are you calling AC a ghetto?If he isn't, I am.

It's actually worse than a ghetto. It's an impoverished attache to a US military base that no longer exists. About as bad as it gets anywhere.

It literally has not a single redeeming quality outside of the concentration of girlie bars.

Pattaya is infinitely safer than AC, for locals and visitors. Without even a shadow of a doubt. Not to mention that it's bigger, better, easier to get around and with more to do. I still go to AC, but only for the girly bars.

I've never had a problem anywhere in the world, including some of the worst parts of places like Bangladesh and Haiti. If you're a walking target, you'll have problems anywhere you go. Perhaps more so in places where people make their living feeding off of foreign visitors, e.g. AC, Pattaya, etc.

D Cups
02-20-13, 16:16
If he isn't, I am.

It's actually worse than a ghetto.RR has apparently never been in a real ghetto. AC is not bad at all. Stop exaggerating.

FruitNinja
02-20-13, 19:16
RR has apparently never been in a real ghetto. AC is not bad at all. Stop exaggerating.If you notice RR has not been to a lot of places but he has an opinion on everything. I've taken to calling his posts "The world according to GaRRp."

BTW According to the world renowned GaRRp Chicago is a cultural shithole. I don't know, the members only preview of the 250+ piece Picasso exhibit was packed yesterday. And it was in the middle of the work day. Members, so these are not tourists. Oh wait? The first place in the USA to exhibit Picasso 100 years ago? Wait. NYC: Nope. Good old Chicago. Largest collection of Impressionist paintings outside the Louvre? Yep, Chicago.

John Hancock, Sears Tower, Second City, Steppenwolf, Goodman, Chicago Symphony (BTW one of the BEST orchestras of the world) The third largest economic center of the US, premier world tourist destination. The highest number of corporate relocation. Hey Rick, look up the CME Group. You a member of MMA?

Take anything GaRRp says with a grain of salt.

I've been intimately involved ith ghettos. AC is not one.

Rick Rock
02-20-13, 19:31
RR has apparently never been in a real ghetto. AC is not bad at all. Stop exaggerating.LOL. Where are you from, Camden NJ or something? Thankfully I don't live anywhere near a ghetto now, but yes I have been to plenty, including my years spent in Brooklyn East NY. Of course as soon as I got money I got the hell out of there, headed to Manhattan and never looked back, just like anyone else with a brain would do. Don't see Jay Z hanging out in Marcy very often nowadays.

The Philippines is in general one of the poorest most underdeveloped countries in the world (131 of 185). Angeles City is one of the worst parts of it. Ask any middle class Pinoy from a place like Makati City. They'll tell you.

Any place where open sewage runs in the streets, people live 5 to a single room with a single lightbulb and shared toilets, where children dig in the trash for scraps and walk shoeless in the streets begging, where women fuck fat stinky disgusting elderly men for 18 bucks, where people walk in the streets selling prescription medicine, where the police are impotent in the face of an ongoing crime wave, where robbery is commonplace. Yeah, that's a ghetto.

Sure,"ghetto" is subjective. It was originally meant to describe a city where the Jews had to live. The usual American use in modern times is a terrible place with an extremely low quality of life where no one but the poorest of the poor would want to live. I call it like I see it.

Pete Benetar
02-20-13, 20:07
AC is not bad at all.Agreed AC and especially Fields is overall a very benign place, though I always limit long strolls down Perimeter to daytime. Ghetto can be loosely defined as any ethnically or racially concentrated community blighted by impoverishment and so I would not quibble with calling AC a ghetto. As the thread is about safety, the conventional description of an American ghetto being a black inner city ghetto is wholly different from AC. I've been in several of these and other hazardous areas but when I amuse myself (always retrospectively) , I think back to the early 90's when I lived in DC (Murder Capital, USA back then) and I moonlighted in the ER at DC General which was the only public hospital in the District. I would ALWAYS sprint to my vehicle parked a mere quarter mile from the front doors after finishing my evening shifts.

PinkPearl
02-20-13, 20:34
Where did I use the word "ghetto" and AC in the same sentence?You used them in the same paragraph as follows:

". The drunkards, scumbags, convicted felons and other very unsavory characters that frequent AC. I was up there for 3 days last week and like Las Vegas, couldn't wait to get away from the place. (snip comment about Malate). Generally, it ain't a jungle out there unless you make it one by being a dick or hanging in the ghetto. If you're going to be a dog you're going to attract fleas and if you sleep with dogs you're going to get fleas." End of paragraph.

As for your loved Malate, Manila, is it the HIV capitol of the Philippines? :

"Malate has been called a center of gay night life in the Philippines, [2] and has a Gay Pride Parade every year. [3]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manila

And speaking of "unsavory characters", American murdered in Seven Eleven store in Malate:

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/video/nation/metro-manila/09/04/12/manila-crime-incidents-irk-dirty-harry

Also, Metro Manila crime rate up by nearly 60%:

http://rp1.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/metro-manila/09/05/12/metro-manila-crime-rate-nearby-60

http://rp3.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/metro-manila/07/18/12/metro-manila-crime-rate-climbs-36

http://www.numbeo.com/crime/city_result.jsp?country=Philippines&city=Manila

Between "the poorest" area of Vancouver and "LA Café" you appear to be drawn to the darker areas of existence.I've never been anywhere within 1000 miles of LA Cafe & the only thing that would draw me to "darker areas" where their is quality cheap pussy is, obviously, quality cheap pussy. IOW saving, over a period of years, at least 10's and 100's of thousands of dollars over what I'd pay in Canada for a similar product. IOW getting a hell of a lot more bang for my bucks.

Unfortunately the drawback of "darker" cheap hobbying areas is that they tend to be in places that are significantly more dangerous and generally offer less of anything that is important, like excellent medical care, banking & food options, peace & quiet, safe sex, comfort, and more of everything you don't want like scams, disease, undrinkable tap water, mosquitos, lowlifes & corruption, etc.

In the case of Vancouver's low track that would include a HIV rate similar to the worst areas of Africa, lousy service as one would expect from drug addicted sex workers, bed bug infested poon hotels, & somewhat higher prices than AC. So AC is the clearly the superior choice for sex between the two.

OTOH living in Vancouver is generally safer and better in almost every way one can think of or imagine compared to AC or the Philippines, so that should be factored in when calculating where one wishes to retire, vacation or spend a considerable amount of time.

How about you, what are you doing in the relatively dangerous Philippines, rather than somewhere safe like Hong Kong, Germany, Canada or even Bangkok?

Generally, it ain't a jungle out there unless you make it one by being a dick or hanging in the ghetto.Aint? Is this how the high society types in Malate speak with one another? Or did you pick that up in the ghetto of AC?

It's actually worse than a ghetto. It's an impoverished attache to a US military base that no longer exists. About as bad as it gets anywhere.It looks pretty pathetic in the videos I've seen. The foreigners there would have to upgrade the way they dress to qualify for acceptance under the dress code of US ghettos. My wardrobes in Canada & Bangkok don't have anything that would allow me to dress down to the level of what I've seen of AC foreigners. The funny thing is the hot young AC bargirls in their hot uniforms are pining for these same foreigners, most of whom are old retired guys who are afraid to put on any half decent clothes for fear of being mugged. And they think this show is convincing anyone they don't have money on them when they walk into such joints, or walk out with a girl or three on their arm? I find all of this quite amusing. Meanwhile, in a similar area in Bangkok full of bars around NEP, everyday I see farangs dressed up in business suits & other attire that would be far above the US ghetto level, let alone that of AC.

Pattaya is infinitely safer than AC, for locals and visitors. Without even a shadow of a doubt.Just a gut feeling because you see scary guns in AC that scare you? Or have you actually researched this with solid reasons to back up your statement? BTW LE in both Bangkok and Canada carry firearms.

If you are so worried about robbery in AC, maybe duct tape your ATM card to a nipple inside your shirt & keep your cash in your undies next to Mr Johnson. That will be my MO;

GoodEnough
02-21-13, 00:12
There's no doubt that Angeles is pretty sleazy, shabby and poor. However, it's not among the poorest areas of the country. For those who have never traveled beyond the big cities, and who may be interested in expanding their understanding of the country and its people, I suggest that a trip to Mindanao-home to the poorest provinces in the country-might prove educational. Visit some of the rural hamlets in Muslim Mindanao, or some of the smaller municipalities therein and you will get a sense of the destitution that characterizes the lives of the typical subsistence farmer. It will also give you a sense of why a place like Angeles probably seems like paradise when compared to the living circumstances from which many of these girls probably come.

GE

WestCoast1
02-21-13, 03:13
I suggest that a trip to Mindanao-home to the poorest provinces in the country-might prove educational. Visit some of the rural hamlets in Muslim Mindanao, or some of the smaller municipalities therein and you will get a sense of the destitution that characterizes the lives of the typical subsistence farmer. It will also give you a sense of why a place like Angeles probably seems like paradise when compared to the living circumstances from which many of these girls probably come.

GEFirst you make the trip to the northeast corner of Mindanao and stop in Surigao city. Probably on the same level of AC in terms of sh*t-holiness. If you're feeling like you've come to the end of the earth, pretty much you have! Then at 6am you board a boat, and spend a few hours at sea, and land on Siargao Island. Your resort van picks you up and transports you across the island to the resort. On the 30 minute trip you are going on a trip backwards in time. Its very hard to describe, but what GE says above applies. Beautiful, odd, desolate. Living conditions that don't necessarily involve building materials that you've seen in the last hundred years. Entire dwellings that appear to be made from banana leaves (or similar). Good luck finding a building made of tin. Farmers spread their rice an inch thick right on the road to dry, while the van driver swerves to miss it. A 60+ year-old farmer standing in the rice paddy, wearing only what appears to be his very, very tiny underwear (more a loin cloth) ; and a tiny aneorexic naked 2 year-old boy right next to him helping. There has not been a power line, phone line, or any such thing spotted on the island so far. Having experiened other sh*tholes, you are shocked by the backwardness and living conditions (it might appear they've been living like this for centuries). Finally you reach the resort and check in. You and your gf are the only occupants of the resort. Its not really a resort, its a few huts with air conditioners. The beach is stunningly pretty. You will skinny dip at night and walk the beach naked, as there is not a sole out there to see you (or so you think). You finally come to the conclusion: You really HAVE reached the end of the earth, and AC's sh*thole may just be a step up!

GE, am I close with this description?

Rick Rock
02-21-13, 05:00
There's no doubt that Angeles is pretty sleazy, shabby and poor. However, it's not among the poorest areas of the country. For those who have never traveled beyond the big cities, and who may be interested in expanding their understanding of the country and its people, I suggest that a trip to Mindanao-home to the poorest provinces in the country-might prove educational. Visit some of the rural hamlets in Muslim Mindanao, or some of the smaller municipalities therein and you will get a sense of the destitution that characterizes the lives of the typical subsistence farmer. It will also give you a sense of why a place like Angeles probably seems like paradise when compared to the living circumstances from which many of these girls probably come.

GEIf you believe they think its a paradise you're living in a fantasy world and / or trying to make yourself feel better.

In terms of income the outter provinces are poorer, but there's something different between owning your own home (even if its made of bamboo and palm leaves) and having land that you work to feed your family in the countryside on the one hand, and wading knee deep in sewage infested water on your way to work to dance for and fuck fat old foreign guys for $36 before heading back to the one roach infested room you share with 4 other girls under the watchful eye of mamasan, hoping you don't get robbed by drug addicted street urchins or corrupt cops on the way home. Neither is a great, but clearly they are not the same.

And as bad as Fields Ave appears (and is), it pales in comparison to some other parts of AC. Explore a little on your own. Walk around down unknown streets in the middle of the night (like you can in say Tokyo, Seoul, Singapore or Taipei) and let me know what a great "non ghetto" place it is. LOL.

Like I said none of this means you're going to get robbed on a sex trip. But if you're a big sissy there's certainly a chance of it.

WhatsUrName
02-22-13, 03:38
Hey Guys.

Just wanted to chime in here regarding the safety of Ermita and AC. I just got back from a long week in the Philippines the second week of February. 2013. I had a ball! It was awesome!

I had a great time. I split my time roughly 50/50 between Ermita\MBC and AC.

I spent many nights walking the streets of both Ermita and Fields. I have never, ever had a problem in either locale. Now or in past years. I have never heard of anyone having a problem either.

On Fields, there was a PNP presence late at night. They had a semi-blockade there at Fields and Narcisso after 2AM.

It's a pretty safe place for Western sex tourists in my opinion. But please keep in mind my limited view on this. I personally always felt safe.

I think the guidance of just be smart, cool, don't get drunk, and don't be an asshole to people is pretty sound.

However, if you don't have a sense of advnenture or want to live life on the edge a little, then perhaps Yellowstone or Hilton Head would be a better choice for your next vacation.

GoodEnough
02-22-13, 04:05
First you make the trip to the northeast corner of Mindanao and stop in Surigao city. Probably on the same level of AC in terms of sh*t-holiness. If you're feeling like you've come to the end of the earth, pretty much you have! Then at 6am you board a boat, and spend a few hours at sea, and land on Siargao Island. Your resort van picks you up and transports you across the island to the resort. On the 30 minute trip you are going on a trip backwards in time. Its very hard to describe, but what GE says above applies. Beautiful, odd, desolate. Living conditions that don't necessarily involve building materials that you've seen in the last hundred years. Entire dwellings that appear to be made from banana leaves (or similar). Good luck finding a building made of tin. Farmers spread their rice an inch thick right on the road to dry, while the van driver swerves to miss it. A 60+ year-old farmer standing in the rice paddy, wearing only what appears to be his very, very tiny underwear (more a loin cloth) ; and a tiny aneorexic naked 2 year-old boy right next to him helping. There has not been a power line, phone line, or any such thing spotted on the island so far. Having experiened other sh*tholes, you are shocked by the backwardness and living conditions (it might appear they've been living like this for centuries). Finally you reach the resort and check in. You and your gf are the only occupants of the resort. Its not really a resort, its a few huts with air conditioners. The beach is stunningly pretty. You will skinny dip at night and walk the beach naked, as there is not a sole out there to see you (or so you think). You finally come to the conclusion: You really HAVE reached the end of the earth, and AC's sh*thole may just be a step up!

GE, am I close with this description?WC, you are spot on. Guys who have only been to Metro Manila or AC just don't know that most of the country is actually like. Rick Rock is also, the most part wrong when he discusses rural folks as owning their own homes. Most do not, and never will own the land that they farm. That prerogative goes to the datus, the landed rich, at whose pleasure subsistence farmers are granted access to the land. One the the reasons here that the credit / capital formation constraints are so tight is that so few have titled land to use as collateral for busines start-ups, expansion, etc. CARP was supposed to change all of that, but of course, like most sweeping programs here, it was long on rhetoric and emptry promises a very short on delivery.

I think it was the ADB that estimated that about a third of the populaton gets by on less than $2 a day, and which alsosatated that the Philippines is the only ASEAN country in which poverty actually increased over the past decade. I would bet that if you asked the girls who work in AC if they would rather be there-a city with electricity, running water and actual stores-rather than the rural backwaters from which they hail, a majority would indicate a preference for AC.

GE

Nvslim
02-22-13, 13:34
No city is completely safe. A little OT but you would think a main tourist area saturated by police would be safer.

LAS VEGAS (AP) — Police searched Friday for a Range Rover with dark tinted windows and custom rims that set off a fiery crash on the Las Vegas Strip when someone in the luxury SUV opened fire on a Maserati in a scene that onlookers described as worthy of an action flick.

Three people were killed and at least six more were injured in what marked the latest in a series of violent episodes in Las Vegas in recent months.

Clark County Sheriff Doug Gillespie told reporters the shooting was sparked by an argument in the valet area of the nearby Aria hotel-casino, and spilled over to one of the busiest intersections on the Las Vegas Strip. As bullets flew from the Range Rover, the Maserati ran a red light and smashed into a taxi that exploded into flames, killing the driver and a passenger. The driver of the Maserati was also killed, and his passenger was wounded.

Police have not released the identities of the victims.

Three more cars and a utility truck also collided as the Range Rover sped off in the darkness at about 4:30 am.

Las Vegas police Sgt. John Sheahan said the Range Rover was last seen near the Venetian resort as it headed north from the shooting scene. He said police have video from traffic cameras at the intersection and were checking hotel surveillance systems, but added that the video will not be made public.

"What happened will not be tolerated," Gillespie said, vowing that the shooters would be "found and prosecuted to the full extent of the law."

Jogger Eric Lackey was on his way back to the New York-New York hotel when he snapped a cellphone photo of the blazing scene moments after the crash. Black smoke billowed from the flaming taxi, amid popping sounds from the fire.

Lackey, of Forest Hill, Md, said a security officer in a yellow shirt performed CPR on a person on the sidewalk while police officers canvassed a small crowd of perhaps 15 onlookers gathering at the scene.

"Police were asking if anyone was still in the vehicles and if they heard gunfire," Lackey told The Associated Press."That's when I realized it wasn't just a regular accident."

The effects of the shooting and crashes were felt hours later as the Strip remained closed, leading to snarled traffic, until it reopened late Thursday night.

The fiery rampage shocked tourists.

"We get stabbings, and gang violence," said Mark Thompson, who was visiting from Manchester, England, with his wife,"but this is like something out of a movie. Like 'Die Hard' or something."

Police said they were contacting authorities in three neighboring states about the Range Rover Sport that had a car dealer's advertisement in place of a license plate.

In Southern California, the California Highway Patrol alerted officers in at least three counties to be on the lookout for the SUV.

Witnesses also told police the SUV and Maserati had come from the nearby CityCenter area, the home of Aria, just south of the site of the attack.

"We have numerous witnesses to this," Sheahan said."But what is the genesis of this? We don't know yet."

The crumpled, gray Maserati, which had no license plate, came to rest several feet away from the incinerated taxi.

"The people I feel sorry for are the people in the taxi," said Elvina Joyce, a tourist from Regina, Saskatchewan."Seconds made all the difference in the world for them. Wrong place, wrong time."

The area near the scene has been the site of high-profile violence in the past.

Rapper Tupac Shakur was killed in a drive-by shooting in 1996 about a block away under similar circumstances, as assailants opened fire on his luxury sedan from a vehicle on Flamingo Road. The killing has never been solved.

And Las Vegas has had several violent episodes in recent months.

Two people were critically wounded in a shooting at a parking garage on Feb. 6, and a tourist was stabbed last Saturday in an elevator at The Hotel at Mandalay Bay.

On New Year's Eve at Circus Circus, a man pulled out a revolver and fired it into the ground just off the main floor of the casino. Less than two weeks earlier, a woman allegedly slashed the face of a blackjack dealer at the Bellagio.

Pete Benetar
02-22-13, 18:32
No city is completely safe.About 320 million residents in US with about 320 million guns. Add maserati driving ghetto gangter rapper glorifying guns (amidst whatev other dumbass lyrics) and it's just one less dumbass out there. Truly unfortunate however for the cabbie and his fare. Part of the survival equation is just dumb luck and not finding yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I think overall, national homicide rates are similar between US and the PI, hovering around 5 per 100, 000 for both countries (2010) per the UNODC http://asiancorrespondent.com/91115/homicide-rate-in-thailand-is-violence-on-the-rise-since-the-2006-coup/

Slippery
03-18-13, 19:41
http://www.philstar.com/metro/2013/03/17/920659/cops-rob-polish-tourist-near-ermita-mall

MANILA, Philippines. A Polish tourist was robbed by two 'police officers' in front of a mall in Ermita, Manila Thursday morning, police said yesterday.

Jerzy Stanczsyk. 65, said he was walking along Maria Orosa street at around 11 am When a black sport utility vehicle, with license plate RNR-363, pulled over next to him and its occupants introduced themselves as policemen.No mention of flashing guns. No mention of flashing badges but he got in the car. No Polish jokes please.

Chocha Monger
03-19-13, 05:51
No mention of flashing guns. No mention of flashing badges but he got in the car. No Polish jokes please.Seems like he was the typical clueless sex tourist who heard that getting pussy in the Philippines was as easy as shooting fish in a barrel, so he decided to step out from behind his keyboard for the first time. I suppose being Polish didn't help either. LOL

Cunning Stunt
03-19-13, 06:44
The fake cops enticed him into the car by an accusation of jay walking, didn't they? Poor guy was probably only following advice he read on ISG. Was it Skogis who advocated avoiding the sidewalk riff-raff by walking in the middle of the road?

Hope that he didn't follow Skogis's birth control hints as well..lol.

Hutsori
03-19-13, 06:58
Seems like he was the typical clueless sex tourist who heard that getting pussy in the Philippines was as easy as shooting fish in a barrel, so he decided to step out from behind his keyboard for the first time. I suppose being Polish didn't help either. LOLIn MBC the fish jump out of the barrel and into your trousers. No shooting involved.

I feel a bit sorry for the old fella. As we often enough, such as here in the forum, some of the old are easily bamboozled. Moreover this Pole was reared in commie days when the secret police regularly grabbed folks from the streets; one learnt to go along. I reckon his English is poor since he's from the days of Russian as a second language. At his age he's less physically able to scurry to safety or put up a fight. Add all that, put the bloke in a foreign environment where it's more easy to be wrong footed, and he's ripe for the picking. And of course he's a Pollock.

Cunning Stunt
03-19-13, 07:11
'Fish in a barrel', 'pollock'. Either someone is being very word clever or, more than likely, recalling the standard of wit previously displayed by this member, has just misspelled the word Polack. I'll bet you still call them noggers, too!

P.S What use is an auto-editor which always replaces the word 'wit' with 'with'?

Hutsori
03-19-13, 11:20
A few years back in Seoul I had a slew of my very own stalkers. Needy girls. Utterly desperate for attention. Mentally unhinged. It's quite nice that in Manila the local birds I've met are sane. Same can't be said for some of the foreigners I've come across.

Admin - There's a bug in your code. Posts that aren't apparent become visible when I hit the "Add Report" button. This is seen when I'm logged it. Wouldn't want the heel nippers to go further off the deep end and throw a conniption yet again.

Chocha Monger
03-19-13, 13:33
We hear a lot about mongers getting robbed, beaten, killed or incarcerated in the Philippines and it's quite easy to get the wrong impression of the place. Often times the victims just make it too tempting for criminal elements and law enforcement. You'll see guys who have never been to the country before announcing their first trip and their intentions to have sex with 20 to 30 non-pros from various dating sites. Some are actually stupid enough to attempt it. A case in point, one elderly monger visited Quezon City to play the young stud. He met a girl from one of the well known dating sites often mentioned on here. After giving her a Viagra induced screwing he sent her home with a bunch of promises and a pussy full of sperm. He then had his next date over. Due to senility or incompetence he lost track of time only to have the first 'girlfriend' return and catch him with the other girl in his room. Of course, she ran home crying and the parents inquired what happened with the nice foreigner. Once she told them what happened, it became obvious that their 16 yrs old daughter was the victim of a sex tourist. At that point the Filipina declaration that 'age doesn't matter' went out the window. Chances are old Mr. Playboy would have never found out that he committed a crime but for the fact that the girl found out that he was playing her. He never asked for proof of age and stupidly tried to assembly line fuck normal girls in the same room on the same day knowing one would be returning. How can one sympathize with such an idiot?

LexLuther
01-25-15, 00:19
We hear a lot about mongers getting robbed, beaten, killed or incarcerated in the Philippines and it's quite easy to get the wrong impression of the place. Often times the victims just make it too tempting for criminal elements and law enforcement. You'll see guys who have never been to the country before announcing their first trip and their intentions to have sex with 20 to 30 non-pros from various dating sites. Some are actually stupid enough to attempt it. A case in point, one elderly monger visited Quezon City to play the young stud. He met a girl from one of the well known dating sites often mentioned on here. After giving her a Viagra induced screwing he sent her home with a bunch of promises and a pussy full of sperm. He then had his next date over. Due to senility or incompetence he lost track of time only to have the first 'girlfriend' return and catch him with the other girl in his room. Of course, she ran home crying and the parents inquired what happened with the nice foreigner. Once she told them what happened, it became obvious that their 16 yrs old daughter was the victim of a sex tourist. At that point the Filipina declaration that 'age doesn't matter' went out the window. Chances are old Mr. Playboy would have never found out that he committed a crime but for the fact that the girl found out that he was playing her. He never asked for proof of age and stupidly tried to assembly line fuck normal girls in the same room on the same day knowing one would be returning. How can one sympathize with such an idiot?If he was indeed an elderly monger, then you must credit either him or the vitamin V for the stamina which he would have needed in order to even consider screwing two girls in one day.

LexLuther

Asian Rain
01-25-15, 13:33
We hear a lot about mongers getting robbed, beaten, killed or incarcerated in the Philippines and it's quite easy to get the wrong impression of the place.We hear a lot of STORIES, but very few that seem to be fact. Is there any online verification of your 16-year old fuck-gone-bad story, or was this something that you heard from a guy sitting on a barstool?

Most recent story which was all close to us was what happened to Mr Drew Shobbrook (aka Frenzy3). Whatever happened to him? Still in the country? Still in jail? Anything ever proven about him?

I just don't believe 90% of what I read in papers and 75% of what I hear from mongers. Just my experience. Be suspicious. Enjoy, AsianRain.

Wicked Roger
01-26-15, 00:22
Most recent story which was all close to us was what happened to Mr Drew Shobbrook (aka Frenzy3). Whatever happened to him? Still in the country? Still in jail? Anything ever proven about him?

I just don't believe 90% of what I read in papers and 75% of what I hear from mongers. Just my experience. Be suspicious. Enjoy, AsianRain.David 33 visited him a while back see the Cebu thread for the FR.