PDA

View Full Version : 2007 General Reports

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Sperto
10-21-07, 16:31
My girlfriend just informed me that there is a Tropa de Elite 1 and Tropa de Elite 2. 2 is in cinemas now and is the one we are watching. Her friend said both are available on bootleg at Uruguaiana.
Nope, there isn't a Tropa de Elite 2.
There were piratas/copies sold 2-3 months before the cinema release. That might be what your GF is thinking about?

George90
10-21-07, 17:44
for those not familiar with torrents..

torrents are internet packages that point to peer to peer download sites that have pointers to other computers that have the object you are looking for. for example, of you download a movie, and stay online, your computer will upload to others.

there is music, movies, software, just about anything.

first, you need to install a torrent download program, i use utorrent.. there are plenty out there, all seem about the same.

second, google what you want, and add 'torrent' in the search, you will get a lot of hits. the trick is finding one that will not want you to sign up for something or give you garbage or some virus. for the movies mentioned, isohunt has some good torrents.

third, download the torrent, click on open. that will download the package that will kick off utorrent and start the p2p download.

hope this helps.. happy downloading.

there was an article recently that exposes comcast cable internet service provider as interfering with file sharing. it has a program that detects large file transfers and then blocks the transfer by disconnecting the computers.

if anyone uses comcast, they may have difficulty downloading the movies in question or other large movie files.

Exec Talent
10-22-07, 13:39
Most of the times I have been in Brazil, I have had a girlfriend so connecting with normal girls was not an objective. This time, out of curiosity mostly, I decided to see how difficult it was to get together with non-pros.

Much to my surprise, it was very easy to meet extremely hot Brazilian women. A couple of key observations though. It helps to be blond and fair. It helps to have blue/green eyes. It helps that you have no problem meeting women in your own country and it is essential to speak Portuguese. Just as in other countries where I have traveled, there is an interest in meeting someone different. The problem here is communication. In other countries generally you can speak English and you will be understood. I have found even with those who say they speak English, it is sometimes difficult.

For example, I was walking on Avenida Atlântica last evening when I saw a very attractive young woman outside a hotel with a tour group. Turns out she is a tour guide from Salvador. It took nothing to get her number. In fact, when I asked about her plans for tomorrow, she said she was busy with the group, but was free tonight. She said she spoke English, but after a minute or two it was obvious that it was better to speak in Portuguese. Unfortunately, I already had plans to see a woman about a cat, so I had to go.

One thing I have found interesting is how many times normal girls (of all skin colors) talk about my eyes. Seems there is a great interest in having children with blue/green eyes. And although I did not do a formal study, it seems that the normal girls have a great interest in traveling to or living in the US.

Also, I should mention that in all cases it seemed important that I visit Brazil often (the reason why I speak Portuguese). I also recommend not telling anyone, GDP or non-pro, how long you are staying.

Brief update: Three hot girls in my apartment building (all normal girls) have introduced themselves to me this week. The latest was with a married girlfriend who now lives in of all places, Iceland. The girl was perfect. Beautiful smile, face, body, everything. They invited me to have a drink with them later at the bar around the corner. From my observations, seem to have marrying a rich gringo in their eyes more than the working girls; some whom are making pretty good money on their own.

Exec Talent
10-22-07, 13:51
Lately a few termas girls have taken a liking to me and have been staying at my apartment for free. Since they often have after work opportunities, they usually call me when they get off work and let me know if they are coming.

Last night (this morning) I got a call about 12:20 AM from one girl (makes it tough when several call the same night) telling me she had a potential client and if it didn't work out, could she come over. At 1:20 AM I get another call telling me she is 5 minutes away. Apparently the guy offered her R$130 for all night and she wanted R$300 for an hour. He had a friend and mostly she seemed pissed that another girl agreed to go with his friend for that price.

With several girls calling, it is not a bad way to go because you are almost always guaranteed at least one will stay. My biggest worry is that they won't call and just show up!

BTW, was not impressed with Solarium last night. Talent was light, bar cramped and too many Americans acting like Americans.

It Travel
10-22-07, 16:22
Thanks for the info.

I thought about hittin Florianopolis, but I heard it's more expensive then Rio, as far as mongering.

Or did I get wrong info.

In Rio it's not very expencive to fuck... on the weekdays you can get a duo for two hours for 250 R$ or so... but they will ask for taxi money... 30-50 R$...

In my opinion you could take a flight to Manaus, in Amazonia, wonderful, and take a boat exursion at the confluence of the two rivers, rio blanco e rio negro...

By the way in your mongering places you forgot Russia or Ukraine, where you have world nices blondes... if you like blondinkas! But it's not so cheap anymore...

IT

Chris H
10-22-07, 16:37
One thing I have found interesting is how many times normal girls (of all skin colors) talk about my eyes. Seems there is a great interest in having children with blue/green eyes. And although I did not do a formal study, it seems that the normal girls have a great interest in traveling to or living in the US.

Gotta agree with ET about the green eyes thing. When I was in Rio in July, I had pros and what I assume was nonpros, since they were working at the airport, coming up to me saying nice things about my green eyes.

Chris H

Mr Enternational
10-22-07, 16:39
Sure.
Lots of gringoes have married brasilian girls in order to get a permanent visa.
That´s why it is getting more complicated all the time.
If you marry, marry for some other reason than a visa.

Like someone said before, this is really having the game mixed up. Why would a Regular Joe want citizenship or a permanent visa to a third-world country? Why would you marry someone just to have a permanent visa when a regular tourist visa is so easy to come by? Usually it is them paying us US 10-15K to marry so they can come to our home country. My 2 cents is marry for money, beauty, or friendship, because marrying for love or visas is way overrated.

Johan007
10-22-07, 18:44
Like someone said before, this is really having the game mixed up. Why would a Regular Joe want citizenship or a permanent visa to a third-world country? Why would you marry someone just to have a permanent visa when a regular tourist visa is so easy to come by? Usually it is them paying us US 10-15K to marry so they can come to our home country. My 2 cents is marry for money, beauty, or friendship, because marrying for love or visas is way overrated.

Dude,

I wouldn't marry ANY Brasilian...!!!!!!!!!!

not with that much good looking ass walking arround anyways;-)

why marry????

Johan

Sperto
10-22-07, 19:53
Why would a Regular Joe want citizenship or a permanent visa to a third-world country? Why would you marry someone just to have a permanent visa when a regular tourist visa is so easy to come by?
Maybe Regular Joe enjoys this "third-world country" so much that he wants to live in Brazil on a permanent basis or at least stay there more than 6 months/Year?

In the future I wouldn't mind a permanent visa, but marrying just to get it doesn't appeal to me.

Madd Love
10-22-07, 23:07
Maybe Regular Joe enjoys this "third-world country" so much that he wants to live in Brazil on a permanent basis or at least stay there more than 6 months/Year?

In the future I wouldn't mind a permanent visa, but marrying just to get it doesn't appeal to me.I agree 100%, its stupid to marry for a visa in a third world country. Its so easy to get a regular tourist visa in the united states to enter Brazil. Why marry when you can bang as many chicks as you want verses settling down. If I want to settle down I can just find a girl here. When you look at it, the brazilian chick is the one who will be wining from the situation. She will still be F*cking for money while you are trying to get her with you and she will be jealous as hell if you look at another chick when you go see her. And there are very low wages in Brazil. So I personally don't see the point and crime is very high. The only thing that is good is the weather and girls.

Euro100
10-23-07, 00:20
It helps to be blond and fair. It helps to have blue/green eyes. It helps that you have no problem meeting women in your own country and it is essential to speak Portuguese.
I have exactly the same observation, with one exception: my Porto sucks, and it does not seem to matter. Girls in the airport and in the stores really go out of their way to make conversation in English with me. They must really dig fair skin and blue eyes in Rio.

Even though I played the non-pro scene often, I must say that in the end I prefer the shortcut that is available with a pro. ;)

Off Road
10-23-07, 01:21
If you want to live here full time you need a permanent visa. If you are not retired and do not want to have a child, marriage is just about the only option.

Off Road
10-23-07, 01:23
I have never bought or used and brazilian condums. Anyone have any suggestions? I think we all want to be protected but feel like there is nothing there.

Mangera
10-23-07, 01:27
I have never bought or used and brazilian condums. Anyone have any suggestions? I think we all want to be protected but feel like there is nothing there.
They suck, they fit tight, short, and they can tear easily. Bring some from home. Let me correct myself, bring many from home. Laters!

Mangera
10-23-07, 01:42
Gotta agree with ET about the green eyes thing. When I was in Rio in July, I had pros and what I assume was nonpros, since they were working at the airport, coming up to me saying nice things about my green eyes.

Chris H
The only green I have on me is in my wallet and I do just fine with the brasileras, pro or non pro. I actually look brasilian. I smile and speak basic portuguese and they soon find out I am american. Its all good. I treat them well, pro or non pro (significantly better when I learned portuguese), and the results can be fabulous.

Interestingly enough, I have a couple of brasilian friends who are brothers and they both have fair skin and blue eyes and lots of money. by the way, they are carioca. When we go out together, I have a bit more difficulty with the language barrier, but I always end up with just as goodlooking or better garota then they end up with (pro or nonpro). Its all relative.

P.S. If you treat them like ladies, and f*ck them really well, they won't care what you look like. Just me two cents. Laters!

Alex Deuce
10-23-07, 01:52
I have never bought or used and brazilian condums. Anyone have any suggestions? I think we all want to be protected but feel like there is nothing there. Never in life use a condom made in Brazil. I have used three and three have ripped during sex. The stores sell everything so I would not experiment unless it is the last thing available.

Chris H
10-23-07, 09:10
Does anyone have any details in using Latineuro?

Chris H

Lorenzo
10-23-07, 10:36
If you want to live here full time you need a permanent visa. If you are not retired and do not want to have a child, marriage is just about the only option.
What about a work visa? It should be easy to do if you can land a job teaching English.

I would not recommend coming to Brazil as a retiree. I looked into that a few years ago and decided against it. The government requires that you have a minimum income of $US2000 a month, and they will tax that at a rate of 27%.

Off Road
10-23-07, 22:49
What about a work visa? It should be easy to do if you can land a job teaching English.

I would not recommend coming to Brazil as a retiree. I looked into that a few years ago and decided against it. The government requires that you have a minimum income of $US2000 a month, and they will tax that at a rate of 27%.
They tax what you earn here, not the $2000 a month. And even if they did, 27% is better than I get in Calif (Fed and CA).

El Austriaco
10-23-07, 23:22
I agree 100%, its stupid to marry for a visa in a third world country. Its so easy to get a regular tourist visa in the united states to enter Brazil. Why marry when you can bang as many chicks as you want verses settling down. If I want to settle down I can just find a girl here. When you look at it, the brazilian chick is the one who will be wining from the situation. She will still be F*cking for money while you are trying to get her with you and she will be jealous as hell if you look at another chick when you go see her. And there are very low wages in Brazil. So I personally don't see the point and crime is very high. The only thing that is good is the weather and girls.
I guess there are a flurry of reasons why people would want to live in a non-first world country, and as someone who lives under such circumstances, I will try to provide a few. BTW, I live in Mexico, another country a lot of people refer to as "third world" (though it isn't, IMHO, just like Brazil isn't anymore, as far as I see it. But that's stuff for another post, I guess).

1) Trying to stretch retirement dollars farther than in a Western country (I know, Brazil is getting more expensive because of the tanking dollar, but the US and Western Europe aren't exactly getting cheaper, either). In other words, enjoying an enhanced lifestyle through lowering living expenses.

2) Work in a high-income country while physically living in a low-cost one. Internet and email have made this possible, and that's exactly what I do: work for clients in Western Europe and the US while residing in Mexico. Designers, software engineers, whoever not could do the same, basically. See above.

3) Working experience in a foreign country. Yes, wages are low in Brazil, and teaching English doesn't pay a whole lot... but then again, it SURE is easier to survive in Brazil (or Mexico, for that matter) teaching English on the side than teaching a foreign language in the US, for example. To say nothing of the personal satisfaction and the cultural insights one gains from the experience. Also, it's not so difficult to combine earnings in one country with supplemental investment income originating in another (Western) country. In other words, just work enough to cover daily expenses while living off money you invested earlier elsewhere. Sounds like an alternative to the rat race to me.

4) Personal preferences: you know, I like living in a Latin country, and it's not like I have to (I spent 12 years in the US, after all, and I have a EU passport). I know quite a bit of US and European expatriates here where I live, and I hardly ever meet anyone who really misses their "first world" very much (especially once they realize through first-hand experience that the first world has its drawbacks, too). I am also not only talking about expatriates that get sent down here by their companies with big expenses accounts and stuff, thereby enjoying a vastly improved lifestyle, but people who live AND work here. Since you mentioned crime: well, it's not like safety is all that dandy in many parts of the Western world, either, like in the US, and safety in so-called "third-world" countries isn't necessarily as bad as being portrayed in the Westerb media. I'll give you an example: where I live, I can walk around at all times of the day AND night without ever worrying about anything: assaults, robberies, etc. etc. Can you say that about the place where you live????

5) Experience of living abroad in a foreign culture for an extended period of time. Sure, tourist visas are relatively easy to get for Westerners, but for total immersion into a foreign culture, years at a time are hard to beat. To say nothing of language learning.

Now, whether getting married is actually the best or smartest or easiest way to get to stay permanently in a country, that's a difficult question. In some countries, it is, in some, it is not (like in Mexico), in other countries, it might depend on your personal circumstances and attitudes towards marriage in the first place. I feel that, if you are dead-set against marriage, don't do it, period, regardless of its perceived benefits in terms of getting a visa, and if "banging as many chicks as possible" is a priority, why would you get married in the first place? In Brazil, I personally feel that adopting a child or having a child with a Brazilian is actually easier insofar as the initial paperwork is concerned. Whether it is less troublesome in the long run remains to be seen, of course :)

You say "If I want to settle down I can just find a girl here. When you look at it, the brazilian chick is the one who will be winning from the situation." Even though, or maybe because, I don't know exactly where you are from (I guess the US??), I don't even want to go into differences between Western women and Latinas, also because there is an entire forum dedicated to that here on ISG. But I hope you are not suggesting that a Western woman has NOTHING to gain from a marriage: if do do, you obviously have never gone through a divorce. So in that respect, I'd say that by marrying a Brazilian, you at least have SOMETHING to gain as a guy... might not be a whole lot, but something is something. :)

My two cents on this,

EA

Madd Love
10-23-07, 23:55
First I would like to say it is more common sense to live in first world than third world. I am not knocking latin countries and I am American. I am saying Brazil is third world but improving, but much work and government reform need to take place, and corruption on all levels.

It make more sense to live in first world because:

1. Opportunities are better.

2. Higher income.

3. Less crime. Brazil's crime is very high compared to the rest of the world. I am not making this up. There are many Favela's all over Rio. I have personally been to one. The majority of Brazilians live at or below the poverty level. Not because they want to but because of many different circumstances I will have to cover in another topic. Look at the documentary "FAVELA RISING" or movie "City of God".

Yes America has crime as everywhere. But at least there are people who will help you and not turn an eye.

I am not saying America is the greatest nation on earth to live but it does offer better opportunities than most countries in the world. We are oly 5% of the world population and control at least 25% of the worlds goods and services. So far the U.S has been the worlds number 1 export market and may change later.

But I just want to point out that a 5 year old can make the distinction of living in a thirrd world versus a first world country.

Its like asking a kid whats better gold or copper. Just an example.

I know you have pride in your country and respect that. I have pride in mines as well.

But the United states have been compared to the Roman Empire, nothing seen like it since Roman. We have been militarily unchallange And have been economically stable since the great depression.

Facts speak louder than words.

But i am not trying to argue with you but saying what sense it makes to Marry to live in third world. When you can get a tourist visa and stay up to 6 months a year.

I love Latin countries, Arab countries and African countries. But United states which i live speak for itself, there will be declines here because nothing last forever but we will still be a super power.

ITS GOOD TO HAVE PRIDE FOR YOUR COUNTRY AS I HAVE PRIDE IN MINES.

Appreciate your point of view

I guess there are a flurry of reasons why people would want to live in a non-first world country, and as someone who lives under such circumstances, I will try to provide a few. BTW, I live in Mexico, another country a lot of people refer to as "third world" (though it isn't, IMHO, just like Brazil isn't anymore, as far as I see it. But that's stuff for another post, I guess).

1) Trying to stretch retirement dollars farther than in a Western country (I know, Brazil is getting more expensive because of the tanking dollar, but the US and Western Europe aren't exactly getting cheaper, either). In other words, enjoying an enhanced lifestyle through lowering living expenses.

2) Work in a high-income country while physically living in a low-cost one. Internet and email have made this possible, and that's exactly what I do: work for clients in Western Europe and the US while residing in Mexico. Designers, software engineers, whoever not could do the same, basically. See above.

3) Working experience in a foreign country. Yes, wages are low in Brazil, and teaching English doesn't pay a whole lot... but then again, it SURE is easier to survive in Brazil (or Mexico, for that matter) teaching English on the side than teaching a foreign language in the US, for example. To say nothing of the personal satisfaction and the cultural insights one gains from the experience. Also, it's not so difficult to combine earnings in one country with supplemental investment income originating in another (Western) country. In other words, just work enough to cover daily expenses while living off money you invested earlier elsewhere. Sounds like an alternative to the rat race to me.

4) Personal preferences: you know, I like living in a Latin country, and it's not like I have to (I spent 12 years in the US, after all, and I have a EU passport). I know quite a bit of US and European expatriates here where I live, and I hardly ever meet anyone who really misses their "first world" very much (especially once they realize through first-hand experience that the first world has its drawbacks, too). I am also not only talking about expatriates that get sent down here by their companies with big expenses accounts and stuff, thereby enjoying a vastly improved lifestyle, but people who live AND work here. Since you mentioned crime: well, it's not like safety is all that dandy in many parts of the Western world, either, like in the US, and safety in so-called "third-world" countries isn't necessarily as bad as being portrayed in the Westerb media. I'll give you an example: where I live, I can walk around at all times of the day AND night without ever worrying about anything: assaults, robberies, etc. etc. Can you say that about the place where you live????

5) Experience of living abroad in a foreign culture for an extended period of time. Sure, tourist visas are relatively easy to get for Westerners, but for total immersion into a foreign culture, years at a time are hard to beat. To say nothing of language learning.

Now, whether getting married is actually the best or smartest or easiest way to get to stay permanently in a country, that's a difficult question. In some countries, it is, in some, it is not (like in Mexico), in other countries, it might depend on your personal circumstances and attitudes towards marriage in the first place. I feel that, if you are dead-set against marriage, don't do it, period, regardless of its perceived benefits in terms of getting a visa, and if "banging as many chicks as possible" is a priority, why would you get married in the first place? In Brazil, I personally feel that adopting a child or having a child with a Brazilian is actually easier insofar as the initial paperwork is concerned. Whether it is less troublesome in the long run remains to be seen, of course :)

You say "If I want to settle down I can just find a girl here. When you look at it, the brazilian chick is the one who will be winning from the situation." Even though, or maybe because, I don't know exactly where you are from (I guess the US??), I don't even want to go into differences between Western women and Latinas, also because there is an entire forum dedicated to that here on ISG. But I hope you are not suggesting that a Western woman has NOTHING to gain from a marriage: if do do, you obviously have never gone through a divorce. So in that respect, I'd say that by marrying a Brazilian, you at least have SOMETHING to gain as a guy... might not be a whole lot, but something is something. :)

My two cents on this,

EA

Abzsafado
10-24-07, 00:55
[QUOTE=Alex Deuce]Never in life use a condom made in Brazil. I have used three and three have ripped during sex. The stores sell everything so I would not experiment unless it is the last thing available.[/QUOTE
Brasilian condoms are as reliable as any other I have tried, try Extra or the ones with the dragon on the label, never had a problem with either.

Abzsafado
10-24-07, 01:06
Dude, I posted this question on the 26th of last month. And almost four weeks later you post an answer to it ... one that does not contain any information what-so-friggin-ever. Is there no other point you can make?

In the meantime I have visited Rio, figured out the bus situation and took the bus to centro, posted the information (http://internationalsexguide.info/forum/showpost.php?p=651223), left Rio, returned to Rio, took another bus to the Copa, posted the information (http://internationalsexguide.info/forum/showpost.php?p=652937), spent several more days in Rio, and left again.

And what did we learn from your post? That you think that my thinking is strange. Ummm, OK, my wife could have told you that, too :D.

Generally I don't like somebody getting flamed but that really made me chuckle. Great response to a crap post.

Abzsafado
10-24-07, 01:18
I don't think Euro has a tight budget.
He takes the comfortable, quick and cheap Real bus from the airport to Centro instead of a taxi. The difference in prices will be about R$ 50 (round trip). These R$ 50 is serious bunda-money.

I can't see why the Real bus shouldn't be safe (OK, nothing is 100% safe in Rio)? It's not like taking a common bus passing by the outskirts of favelas.
I have never heard of anyone having problems with the bus from the airport. However taxis and tour group buses are a different story. I have had a friend who has been carjacked on the way from the airport. The taxi was stopped, at gunpoint, by another car and then the taxi luggage and all was taken away and my friend left standing at the roadside with the driver. This year an entire busload of tourists were robbed on the way from the airport to Copa, it was a tour group bus not the regular bus.

Exec Talent
10-24-07, 02:17

I did a dupla at MC tonight and between regular sex (both girls), anal sex (both girls), regular sex again (1 girl) we used about 5 condoms. No problems to report! I had American condoms with me, but the girls were running the show! List me as a satisfied customer!

Ejam06
10-24-07, 05:03
I was at MF1 last week and the girls there were outstanding. So went back again. 15 min $R20 WOW!

Lorenzo
10-24-07, 06:21
They tax what you earn here, not the $2000 a month. And even if they did, 27% is better than I get in Calif (Fed and CA).
This is absolutely not true. They tax the $2000 a month because it is considered income in Brazil, and they couldn't care less that you have already paid taxes on it in your own country.

Lorenzo
10-24-07, 06:37
BTW, I live in Mexico, another country a lot of people refer to as "third world" (though it isn't, IMHO, just like Brazil isn't anymore, as far as I see it. But that's stuff for another post, I guess).

EA
"Third world" is one of those terms that is bandied about a lot but that remains ill-defined. When the term first came into widespread use in the 1950s and 60s, it was a political term and had nothing to do with economic development. "Third world" meant "nonaligned," that is not aligned with either the Western bloc or the Soviet bloc. The classic nonaligned leaders were people like Nehru, Sukarno, and Tito. By that definition, Brazil would never have been considered "third world" because it was always a solid US ally.

In the past few decades the original meaning of the term has fallen by the wayside, and "third world" has come to mean "underdeveloped." So by this definition, is Brazil a "third world" country? Most people would say no, although much of rural Brazil, especially the northeast, the sertao, etc., exhibit levels of poverty as dire as any "third world" country. I'm curious as to what other forum members think.

L

Sperto
10-24-07, 08:35
It all depends on how you define "third world country". In terms of political rights, civil liberties, gross national income, human development, poverty, press of freedom etc or just an underdeveloped country?

Some might call Brazil a thirld world country after their 2 weeks holiday in Copacabana. Maybe they understood nobody and nobody understood them and nothing was in the same way as back home? Well, then it must be the third world... :)

IMO calling the world's 9th largest economy a third world country is nothing but a sign of ignorance and lack of knowledge. In my eyes Brazil isn't a third world country.

But the United states have been compared to the Roman Empire, nothing seen like it since Roman. We have been militarily unchallange And have been economically stable since the great depression. Interesting... The Roman Empire's fall was partly because of decline in morals and values, inflation, military spendings and a good beating from Germanic tribes.

Perkele
10-24-07, 10:44
It all depends on how you define "third world country". In terms of political rights, civil liberties, gross national income, human development, poverty, press of freedom etc or just an underdeveloped country?

Funny how you brought these issues up when talking about third world countries.

Since I´m european who has lived in several countries and continents, including USA, I find both Brasil and USA 3rd world countries.

Compared to ANY european country there is no freedom what so ever in USA and no safety what so ever in Brasil. Said that I prefer to live in Brasil, mostly because of the freedom you have here.

Off Road
10-24-07, 10:58
This is absolutely not true. They tax the $2000 a month because it is considered income in Brazil, and they couldn't care less that you have already paid taxes on it in your own country.
OK.. I will find out for sure soon. You are not required to stay here full time with a retirment visa, you can be away for up to 2 years.

Helpmann
10-24-07, 11:01
If you can't drink the water, you're in a Third World country.

-Helpmann :)

Madd Love
10-24-07, 12:52
Funny how you brought these issues up when talking about third world countries.

Since I´m european who has lived in several countries and continents, including USA, I find both Brasil and USA 3rd world countries.

Compared to ANY european country there is no freedom what so ever in USA and no safety what so ever in Brasil. Said that I prefer to live in Brasil, mostly because of the freedom you have here.If you look at history. We help your country or say (Europe) gain status and economic power after WW2. If it wasn't for us Europe would not be what it is today. Europe was shattered after the war.

And about third world look it up.

Wikepedia definition:

Third World is a term used along with First World and (to a much lesser extent) Second World to divide the nations of Earth into three broad socio-political and economic categories.

The term was coined in 1952 by French demographer Alfred Sauvy to refer to what are now called developing or underdeveloped countries, especially in Latin America, Africa, Oceania, and Asia, which were not aligned with either the Soviet nor American blocs during the Cold War.[1] Today, however, the term is synonymous with all countries in the developing world, independent of their political status.

Third World countries are also known as the Global South, developing countries, and underdeveloped countries in academic circles. Development workers also call them the "two-thirds world" and "The South."

MY COMMENT: Yes Rome went down and the United States may go down too some day, but for now we are a super power. We are actually putting Nukes in Russia's backyard on Europe's soil. No one put missiles or Nukes in the United States, so far we have been unchallenge.

United States has been number 1 for a while and a lot of people on here dislike like the facts about it.

Madd Love
10-24-07, 13:01
At least the United States has made it to the number 1 country unchallenge. Not many countries discuss on here can say that there country is #1 in the world unchallenge or has made it to #1.

American Warrior
10-24-07, 17:12
Third World, not Third World who cares we are on this site for mongering. Just my two cent from a First World Country and my 10 cent from a Third World.

American Warrior
10-24-07, 17:14
If you can't drink the water, you're in a Third World country.

-Helpmann

You can't drink the water in Kentucky (lol)

American Warrior
10-24-07, 17:18
How would a monger get to VM by bus from Ipanema? I usually take a taxi but do not feel like footing the bill since I will be solo.

Sperto
10-24-07, 20:46
How would a monger get to VM by bus from Ipanema? I usually take a taxi but do not feel like footing the bill since I will be solo.
When I go to VM by bus from Copa I always take "455 Meier". Unfortunately 455 don't go to Ipanema. Of course you could go to VM by changing bus in Copa or Centro (Praca XV, Central etc).

I recommend you take the Metro bus from Ipanema. This bus takes you from Ipanema to the subway station in Copa. Continue with the metro to the station São Cristovão (changing trains at Estácio).

Euro100
10-24-07, 21:03

Sperto gave a good answer via the Metro. But if you really want to take a bus, take one that goes towards "Maracana". (Christopherd taught me this bit of useful info, and I made use of it.)

Sperto
10-24-07, 21:08
United States has been number 1 for a while and a lot of people on here dislike like the facts about it.
It's not about disliking, it's just about not caring.

"The purpose of this Forum is to provide for the exchange of information between men on the subject of finding women for sex." This section is about brazilian bundas and not a political forum discussing wether USA being number 1.

Sperto
10-24-07, 21:13
Sperto gave a good answer via the Metro. But if you really want to take a bus, take one that goes towards "Maracana". (Christopherd taught me this bit of useful info, and I made use of it.)
Right, 464 Leblon-Maracana. Make sure you get of at Praça da Bandeira.

American Warrior
10-24-07, 22:24
You guys are becoming for the lack of a better word gods like Bubba.

Buckwheat
10-25-07, 04:22
At least the United States has made it to the number 1 country unchallenge. Not many countries discuss on here can say that there country is #1 in the world unchallenge or has made it to #1.Shouldn't it be "unchallenged". Guess we can't say much about the education system in the usa. Just spreading the love on ISG? You should be logged into the "Young Republican" website not ISG. I think this where the term "ugly american" came from.

Lorenzo
10-25-07, 04:23
Compared to ANY european country there is no freedom what so ever in USA..........
Perkele,

You are an ungrateful whelp. The USA saved Europe's ass twice, first in WWII and then in the Cold War. If it weren't for the USA you would have seen Soviet tanks rolling down the Champs Elysee. So the next time you see an American, thank him for the fact that you are free today.

L

Mr Enternational
10-25-07, 04:40
In the past few decades the original meaning of the term has fallen by the wayside, and "third world" has come to mean "underdeveloped." So by this definition, is Brazil a "third world" country? Most people would say no, although much of rural Brazil, especially the northeast, the sertao, etc., exhibit levels of poverty as dire as any "third world" country. I'm curious as to what other forum members think.
L

Whatever the case, all of the Brazilians that I know from the poorest to the richest consider themselves to be living in a "third world country." Albeit, I have never asked any of them their definition of the term.

Sperto
10-25-07, 05:54
Whatever the case, all of the Brazilians that I know from the poorest to the richest consider themselves to be living in a "third world country." Albeit, I have never asked any of them their definition of the term.
I've never seen a people that are so proud over their own country as brazilians. Even if they are from the lower classes they love their country very much. I never got the impression that they consider themselves living in a third world country.

Dodger Bulldog
10-25-07, 06:13
You are an ungrateful whelp. The USA saved Europe's ass twice, first in WWII and then in the Cold War. If it weren't for the USA you would have seen Soviet tanks rolling down the Champs Elysee. So the next time you see an American, thank him for the fact that you are free today.Due to an accident of birth which gave you your citizenship, you obviously feel so superior as to be able to talk down to Perkele and call him a name. It does not negate his point that in many areas freedom is severely lacking in the US today. Sadly, it is becoming less free here with each passing year.

It may be the height of Yankee arrogance to claim all of the credit for WWII and the Cold War. I think there are many reasons that we call the countries of Western Europe our allies. It took a team effort.

Unless you were actually the one flying a bomber in WW II or risking your life in the front lines, I am at a loss to see what gives you the right to lord the actions of some other soldiers over anyone else.

This is a textbook example of how accomplished we Americans have become at dividing our friends and uniting our enemies.

Oh, and by the way, the next time you see a European, thank him for what freedoms we do have in the US. Without the Europeans holding the enemy at bay for years before our belated arrival in both world wars, the world would be a vastly different place.

It is only proper to show respect for the incredible sacrifices that our Allies also made for the cause of freedom. The world is a big enough place to honor many heroes.

And let's not forget that if the French hadn't saved OUR asses, we would be passing around money with the queen's picture on it.

But the way the dollar is acting these days, that might not be such a bad thing, huh? :)

DB

Sperto
10-25-07, 08:27
The USA saved Europe's ass twice, first in WWII and then in the Cold War.
The Nazis controlled all of Europe until US chipped in and defeated them just about single-handedly saving Europe... that's a fairytale created by Hollywood.

The war in Europe lasted for 5 1/2 years. US main efforts in Europe lasted for about one year.

Europe was saved by US AND their allies. Russia played a big part in the Nazi defeat, suffering 20 million dead. Germany suffered 85% of their casualties on the russian front.

Speaking about sacrifices. About 300'000 americans lost their lives in WWII, out of a total of 60 millions deaths.

Sperto
10-25-07, 08:46
I guess all mongers regardless of nationalities are welcome in Brazil. Everyone will be treated well as long as they behave, respect the country and don't act in a superior and arrogant way.

Anyway, I don't see that many gringos in Brazil, that is outside Copacabana. I noticed there are many forum members from the US. That actually surprises me as my impression is that most gringo-tourists in Copa are from Europe.

The only times when I see americans are when I pass Meia Pataca, outside Help or picking up a pizza at Domino's. The one and only thing I want to ask all americans is: don't speak so f***ing loud! When passing MP you get the impression that you're having a major fight. :)

Exec Talent
10-25-07, 11:11
I have as strong an opinion as anyone in this area but this is not the place to express it (though I have to admit, sometimes I let it slip). Let's get this thread back on track!

I was at Monte Carlo last night and fortunately or unfortunately the place was packed. I went to see one of the girls from the dupla from the night before and damn if another guy didn't take her (with another girl) just as I got there. Next time I definitely am taking a taxi or putting a bookmark down there so I don't lose my place!

Ended up with a new girl named Brenda. What a consolation prize. There are beautiful girls in Rio and then there is Brenda. In the US (here I go) you wouldn't get within 50 feet of a girl like that because she would have such an attitude. She had a few rules going into the cabine, but none were left intact on the way out (I can be very charming) so I do have to caution YMMV. But, her looks are not going to change from night to night. Beautiful with a very tight body.

BTW, the manager is not blond, that is Claudia. I think all the receptionists are doable and the woman in the change room too. I could not believe it when she told me her age. Very sweet person at any age.

BionicMan
10-25-07, 15:13
i've never seen a people that are so proud over their own country as brazilians. even if they are from the lower classes they love their country very much. i never got the impression that they consider themselves living in a third world country.

i am regularly visiting brazil and especially sp since the last 13 years and have seen tremendous improvement in city management second to none.
- sp is now very clean (do not forget its population is officially 19 mill people),
- nearly all public buses are brand new,
- roads are kept organized for the traffic flow (this obviously does not avoid the traffic jams, unfortunately, but they are less than before).
- speed limits are observed,
- huge police forces are on the road (again, this does not stop some weird car robberies)
places like curitiba are even sort of "model cities" somehow.
of course they have their downs, but the change over these past few years is significant.

guys just think what it is to sell (produce and distribute) one can of a popular soft drink to each guy living in sp and you se what i mean.
19 mill cans to be produced, distributed and sold every day, not peanuts. so pay respect on how the country is handled.
there are still areas of very poor populations, favelas live next door to commercial centres and 5 stars hotels.
but you can't change all overnight, and 5-10 years represent an overnight for these projects.
some favelas have disappeared and replaced by municipal houses (now showing the sign of time...even).
this was 3rd world, surely, but now it is a growing country.
i can't judge the possible political internal contradictions and also various accusations to the current lula administration, but we all know that each administration has a lot of skeletons in the cupboard...
i do not want to go too much into details but have seen improvements our "progressed and cilized" countries in the so called "old continent" have not been capable to arrange for.

and to talk about democracy being exported, it has been great when the brazilian introduced for the us citizens the same photo and finger scanning at immigration as introduced in the states.
none of our civilized countries dared to to do the same on reciprocity basis.
it was less amusing for the airline pilot showing the finger to the camera as a sign of non-appreciation for what we all have to go through when entering his country.
he was immediately arrested... maybe as a sign of reciprocity!
nevertheless it seems the camera and finger scanning is no more at immigration counters...
democracy or powers in action?

JWNoot
10-25-07, 15:14
Need more help guys!!

I want to take the Metro to see Christ the Redeemer. If I take the Metro at the Rua Sigueira station, what stop do I get off at? SÃO CRISTÓVÃO? Is there a bus connection/transfer afterwards that takes me to the bottom of the hill? Will a normal ticket be suffice or do I have to purchase the Supervia ticket? I am aware of the Tram do Corcovado(R36) that actually takes you up the hill to the statue. I just need to know how to get to the bottom of the hill.

Thanks, again, in advance for your help!!

JW

Jan 156
10-25-07, 23:57
Get off at Largo d.Machado
http://www.metrorio.com.br/lgo_machado.htm shows the bus numbers to take from there to Cosmo Velho. When you buy the ticket you ask for an integracao Cosmo Velho onibus which includes the cost of the Metro and of the Bus. A few cents more than the normal one. No, you don't want Supervia and you don't want to stay on to Cristovao.

Need more help guys!!

I want to take the Metro to see Christ the Redeemer. If I take the Metro at the Rua Sigueira station, what stop do I get off at? SÃO CRISTÓVÃO? Is there a bus connection/transfer afterwards that takes me to the bottom of the hill? Will a normal ticket be suffice or do I have to purchase the Supervia ticket? I am aware of the Tram do Corcovado(R36) that actually takes you up the hill to the statue. I just need to know how to get to the bottom of the hill.

JW

Mangera
10-26-07, 01:35
A couple of years ago, I had the pleasure of seeing Cidade Negra live in concert on Sugar Loaf during the evenning hours. Tickets were about 70r then, but well worth it.

Does anyone have info. or a site that has info. on such events for the month of November? Thanks!

Sperto
10-26-07, 06:43
A couple of years ago, I had the pleasure of seeing Cidade Negra live in concert on Sugar Loaf during the evenning hours. Tickets were about 70r then, but well worth it.
Does anyone have info. or a site that has info. on such events for the month of November? Thanks!
Noites Carioca moved from Urca to Píer Mauá.

In November there will be Jorge Ben Jor, Rita Lee, Skank, Paralamas do Sucesso, Titãs, Cidade Negra and Capital Inicial.
All of them are good, but my personal choice would be Skank, Cidade Negra, Capital Inicial or maybe Rita Lee.

Ticket cost R$ 80.

http://oinoitescariocas.oi.com.br/

Mangera
10-26-07, 12:39
Noites Carioca moved from Urca to Píer Mauá.

In November there will be Jorge Ben Jor, Rita Lee, Skank, Paralamas do Sucesso, Titãs, Cidade Negra and Capital Inicial.
All of them are good, but my personal choice would be Skank, Cidade Negra, Capital Inicial or maybe Rita Lee.

Ticket cost R$ 80.

http://oinoitescariocas.oi.com.br/

I appreciate the info. as well as the link. I will be in town during the second half of November and I just wanted to plan ahead. Thanks again.

Mr Enternational
10-30-07, 06:04
Need more help guys!!
I want to take the Metro to see Christ the Redeemer. I am aware of the Tram do Corcovado(R36) that actually takes you up the hill to the statue. I just need to know how to get to the bottom of the hill.
JW

You can get a taxi to take you from Copacabana up the hill and back for a flat R35. IMHO it is better than the tram because you can stop and take good pictures. You also have to pay the entrance fee which is not more than R5 I think.

El Austriaco
10-30-07, 17:04
Not a big surprise, considering there were no other candidates:

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/SPORT/football/10/30/brazil.cup/

EA

Jan 156
10-30-07, 17:37
The other way to get there (not one I've tried) is just to 'walk' up. You will need extensive climbing gear and experience - it looks a lot more strenuous than Sugar Loaf (which many people do daily).

The setting off point is Parque Lage (just up the road from the Boatanical Gardens).

This was a roundabout way of mentioning one of my favourite spots <g>. Parque Lage is a photographer's paradise. If you find a good looking GDP that hasn't has a lobotomoy and want to take some nice posed (clothed) photos, maybe head here with a picnic.

The place was built by a wealthy architect. Surrounded by trees and walks, it has stunning Greek columns, a classical pool, wide steps, classical architecture and it's usually pretty quiet. (The nominal purpose just now is for art classes for middle aged people of dubious talent.) There's a restaurant here, but it is more romantic to eat on the steps or the side of the pool.

The lighting is excellent. Corcovado towers above it and the foliage adds a softness to the almost Florentine coloured brickwork.

Only think to avoid rush hour, as the traffic (as with everywhere else around Lagoa) is awful at peak times.

(This is a posh area - they will spot a GDP a mile off, so take one that's well dressed and well spoken)

Sperto
10-30-07, 20:32
Christopherd, or anybody else, do you know if the "trail" up to Pão de Açúcar is open? My ex-GF went to the top twice by foot. It's not supposed to be that difficult, except for one part of the trail. I remember she told me that the trail was closed a couple of years ago because of a slide.

Jan 156
10-30-07, 20:49
Christopherd, or anybody else, do you know if the "trail" up to Pão de Açúcar is open? My ex-GF went to the top twice by foot. It's not supposed to be that difficult, except for one part of the trail. I remember she told me that the trail was closed a couple of years ago because of a slide.

I don't know the details of the trail. Last time I went up Pão de Açúcar was 2 or 3 months ago though, and I saw some climbers as I floated up on the woosy-cable. Sat taking sunset photos as they climbed up over the railings.

I don't know if there's more than one approach. People never look very exhausted when I've seen them clamber over but they are using ropes and stuff, especially for the last bit.

Sperto
10-30-07, 21:39
I don't know if there's more than one approach. People never look very exhausted when I've seen them clamber over but they are using ropes and stuff, especially for the last bit.
I heard the trail is coming up on the backside? No special equipment was needed. I'm curious...

Jan 156
10-31-07, 01:13
I heard the trail is coming up on the backside? No special equipment was needed. I'm curious...

That'd make sense. Cos it's all trails and easy slopes when you go past the picnic area there. I imagine the guys climbing at the front face just like doing it for the hell of it (and looking really cool for all the tourists).

DrChris
11-13-07, 01:15
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the great info. I'll be down in Rio next week, and besides the usual mongering activities, would like to know of your favorite restuarants. What are your top 5? Mostly concerned with quality of food and overall expierence. It could be fancy or a local hole in the wall. In ipanema or copacobana.

Thanks, Chris

El Austriaco
11-13-07, 16:56
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the great info. I'll be down in Rio next week, and besides the usual mongering activities, would like to know of your favorite restuarants. What are your top 5? Mostly concerned with quality of food and overall expierence. It could be fancy or a local hole in the wall. In ipanema or copacobana.

Thanks, Chris
IMHO, Porcão at the Aterro do Flamengo is an experience not to be missed. Not only because of the food, which is awesome and plentiful, but especially for the view of Sugarloaf and the Bahia de Guanabara, just across the water from Urca. Check it out: http://www.porcao.com.br/index1.html. The background image you'll see will give you an idea (although, of course, you are at the water level there). Just tell a cab driver "Porcão, Flamengo", they will have no problem finding it.

According to their website, the all-you-can-eat package is R$ 68.00 now, beverages not included, of course.

Address: Avenida Infante Dom Henrique, Parque do Flamengo. Phone: 02125548535. Daily 11:30am-1am. Reservations accepted. CCs: AE, DC, MC, Visa accepted.

They also got another location in Ipanema (Rua Barão da Torre, 218. Phone: 3202 9150: package R$ 63.00) and one in Barra da Tijuca and a few more in the area, too, as far as I know (Nitéroi). I have only been to the one in Flamengo, which is worth the trip for the view alone.

EA

P.S.: Now that I think of it, at least in 2004, they had a FREE shuttle service to Copacabana hotels and locations. Not sure whether they still do it, but if you factor in the cost of cabbing it to and from there (R$ 15.00 each way by now, I assume), it makes the flat-rate even more attractive.

Sperto
11-13-07, 17:30
Hey guys,
Thanks, Chris
* Big wallet:
Barra Grill. Top-class churrascaria.
Av Ministro Ivan Lins 314, Barra.
Extra plus: The desserts are fantastic.
If it's to far away, try out Porcão (several locations, agree with EA that the Flamengo location is the nicest one).
http://www.barragrill.com.br/

* Average wallet:
Aipo & Aipim. Excellent comida à quilo at decent prices. Always fresh food and good service.
Three locations in Copa (Av NS Copa 391, 606 and 920), one in Ipanema (Av Visc d Pirajá) and one in centro (R d Ouvidor 108).
Extra plus: Lots of sweet smiling nordestinas working there.
http://www.aipoeaipim.com.br/

* Very small wallet:
Food-stalls in Vila Mimosa. The most delicious plate (actually a stick) they serve is the grilled cheese with orégano. Good size, firm and little bit juicy.
Several locations along Rua Ceará.
Extra plus: Offers activities nearby that will help you burn some calories.

Off Road
11-13-07, 18:02
Hey guys,
I would like to know of your favorite restuarants. What are your top 5? Mostly concerned with quality of food and overall expierence. It could be fancy or a local hole in the wall. In ipanema or copacobana.

Dom Camillo, Italian/Seafood, Copacabana, Avenida Atlântica, 3056
Pasta is very fresh and cooked right. Fairly expensive, like R$100 per person with drinks.

Carretão Churrascaria, the one on Rua Siqueira Campos, 23 Copacabana
The baby beef is my favorite. The salad bar is small, has some suhsi. Typically about R$40 per person with drinks.

Siqueira Grill, Rua Siqueira Campos, 16-b, Copacabana
por kilo but has self service churrascaria, very good salad bar, shusi chef, across the street from Carretão above. Average eater with drinks will be about R$25.

Chon Kou, Ave Atlantica 3880. Chinese food. good mu shu pork. on the 2nd floor. Abour R$70 per person with drinks.

Nam Thai, Leblon, Rua Rainha Guilhermina, 95. I think the only Thai restaraunt in zona sul. Very nice and different. I think it was bout R$80 per person with drinks.

Thats 5 from me. Porçao in Famingo that others mentioned is great too.

Rio Joe
11-15-07, 14:31
Get this: A book coming out in April spotlights the "not-so-new, not-so-secret destination where a growing number of American black men are traveling for the kind of sex and freedom they say they can't find with black women."

It's called "Don't Blame It on Rio: The Real Deal Behind Why Men Go to Brazil for Sex." Despite the non-racial title, the author, Jewel Woods, clearly focuses on black sex tourists.

I wonder why he insists on portraying mongering in Rio as a "black" thing? One of the things I love about Rio is the diversity of guys who appreciate the women there. It's like a multi-ethnic fraternity united in their devotion to exotic putas. I'm proud to represent nice Jewish boys within this fraternity.

Sperto
11-16-07, 23:44
Get this: A book coming out in April spotlights the "not-so-new, not-so-secret destination where a growing number of American black men are traveling for the kind of sex and freedom they say they can't find with black women."
It's called "Don't Blame It on Rio: The Real Deal Behind Why Men Go to Brazil for Sex."
Not being American and not being black I can't tell for sure, but I guess black Americans have the same reason as white non-Americans to travel to Brazil... that is BUNDAS!

Exec Talent
11-17-07, 01:02

It's called "Don't Blame It on Rio: The Real Deal Behind Why Men Go to Brazil for Sex." Despite the non-racial title, the author, Jewel Woods, clearly focuses on black sex tourists.

I wonder why he insists on portraying mongering in Rio as a "black" thing? One of the things I love about Rio is the diversity of guys who appreciate the women there. It's like a multi-ethnic fraternity united in their devotion to exotic putas. I'm proud to represent nice Jewish boys within this fraternity.

Creating drama benefits you, it does not benefit us. I saw all your posts on another forum. It is best left there. My suggestion to members of THIS forum is to let my comments be the last on this particular topic.

Rio Joe
11-17-07, 04:27
Creating drama benefits you, it does not benefit usA book is coming out that slams black mongers (and by implication, mongering in general). Because of the author's spin, he'll probably get on Oprah and other big shows. You don't think that's of legitimate interest to people in this forum?

Mangera
11-19-07, 12:40
Gentlemen, a forum member has sent me a private mess. asking me where he could see NFL games on Thanksgiving day. I know of a couple places, such as Shenanigans sports bar in General Osorio, and a large chain Hotel, which I can not remember which one at this moment, as well as a place in Copa called "the office". Can anyone here be more clear and/or specific than my memory allows? Thanks.

Sperto
11-19-07, 13:36
Gentlemen, a forum member has sent me a private mess. asking me where he could see NFL games on Thanksgiving day. I know of a couple places, such as Shenanigans sports bar in General Osorio, and a large chain Hotel, which I can not remember which one at this moment, as well as a place in Copa called "the office". Can anyone here be more clear and/or specific than my memory allows? Thanks.
The Office is located behind Help.

Java Man
11-19-07, 15:51
The hotel chain is the Marriott Hotel on Av Atlantica. The Hotel Bar is on the second floor. Also Meia Pattaca, believe it or not. Have one of the waiters locate the ESPN channel. Both only have one screen. Both of these places also have no cover, unlike The Office.
Something like $10 per person. (Yes, that's in dollars.) i.e. He's got lots of overhead: The Office has many screens, one being a Giant Screen.
If he goes to the Marriott, he may be the only patron at the bar.
Also make note of the 3 hr time difference between Rio and the US east coast.

Ryjerrob
11-19-07, 18:31
Another place to check out is Lord Jim in Ipanema. I've been there a few times to check out a local band, and have had a great time. They have several TV's, and a great atmosphere. Keep in mind that it's futebol time there, unless you get there early, I don't imagine you'd have much luck. I actually saw a NBA game there, but didn't pay much attention to the game, I had other things going on. More of a student venue, I think the average GDP would stick out like a sore thumb.

http://www.lordjimpub.com.br/

Good Luck,

Ryjer

Sperto
11-20-07, 15:04
I heard from my travel agent today that Varig will start to fly again to many of the European capitals.
This will mean lower prices on flights to Brazil next year. :)

Rio Lover #2
11-20-07, 15:55
Varig is already flying to Europe. The destinations are London, Frankfurt, Paris and Rome.
Next month Madrid will be added to the list of destinations.

Sperto do you know if there will be other cities in Europe, Varig will be flying to?

RL

Sperto
11-20-07, 16:10
Sperto do you know if there will be other cities in Europe, Varig will be flying to?
They are supposed to open more destinations and also have connecting flights to most European capitals. Time will tell.

Sperto
11-22-07, 09:27
A documentary propably worth seeing.

Manda bala/Send a bullet.
About violence, corruption and kidnapping in São Paulo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbff7PBDUP8

Tigers787
11-23-07, 02:41
I meet this gdp in help disco. I later found out she is a regular there. There is somthing wrong with her mentally, I regret having anything to do with here that night. She will start asking 500r then will go down to 200r. Very bad performer, speaks good english. I do not recommend her, she is just a big trouble. Some of you may already know her. You can't miss the rose tatoo between her tits.

Tiger

Bravo
11-23-07, 16:17
I meet this gdp in help disco. I later found out she is a regular there. There is somthing wrong with her mentally, I regret having anything to do with here that night. She will start asking 500r then will go down to 200r. Very bad performer, speaks good english. I do not recommend her, she is just a big trouble. Some of you may already know her. You can't miss the rose tatoo between her tits.

Tiger

Thx for the info. Ive seen her plenty of times in Rio, never taken her, but she does have nice tits.

Java Man
11-23-07, 21:03
Nice fake tits. Pobre de bunda though. Was a Barbarella girl as of 4yrs ago. I've seen her drunk or high at Nougera on several occasions beginning of this year. Lately seen her sober and more frequently in Help. My wingman hooked up with her, and became fond of her. But he did complain she was passive, just laid there.
I never understood why she got that giant tattoo on her chest. It's all too bad, as she's very pretty.

Tigers787
11-23-07, 22:13
nice fake tits. pobre de bunda though. was a barbarella girl as of 4yrs ago. i've seen her drunk or high at nougera on several occasions beginning of this year. lately seen her sober and more frequently in help. my wingman hooked up with her, and became fond of her. but he did complain she was passive, just laid there.

i never understood why she got that giant tattoo on her chest. it's all too bad, as she's very pretty.hi,

you are right she is pretty. she wasnt drunk when i meet her in help but she was very energenic like she was on speed or something. she told me she doesnt have to drink or take drugs she is high on life and when i asked her about the big rose tattoo with freedom written between her fake tits she started talking about god. she loves possing for pictures i think she is in love with her self.

tiger

Charlie Horse
11-23-07, 23:28

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060930/NEWS08/609300304/-1/ARCHIVES30

Interesting read

Exec Talent
11-24-07, 04:28
http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060930/NEWS08/609300304/-1/ARCHIVES30

Interesting read

Déjà vu all over again. Wasn't this topic beat enough with the Essence story. Let's move on. This horse is glue.

Bravo
11-24-07, 04:44
Nice fake tits. Pobre de bunda though. Was a Barbarella girl as of 4yrs ago. I've seen her drunk or high at Nougera on several occasions beginning of this year. Lately seen her sober and more frequently in Help. My wingman hooked up with her, and became fond of her. But he did complain she was passive, just laid there.
I never understood why she got that giant tattoo on her chest. It's all too bad, as she's very pretty.

What is Nougera?

Zorglub
11-24-07, 06:01
What is Nougera?

I guess he means Nogueira, the restaurant in front of Barbarella which opens all night and is closed during daytime.

Rio Joe
11-24-07, 11:14
Déjà vu all over again. Wasn't this topic beat enough with the Essence story. Let's move on. This horse is glue.Why are you so condescending? No one's forcing you to read posts that don't interest you. Just skip over them.

Rio Joe
11-24-07, 11:18
My friend is a flight attendant with Varig (is it wrong to call them stewardesses?). She said Varig's supposed to resume flights from New York early next year. Anyone heard anything on this?

Java Man
11-24-07, 11:26
zorglub & bravo:
yes, i meant nogueira.

hi,
she loves possing for pictures i think she is in love with her self.

tiger

posing for pictures?! thats a new development. she was camera shy when we met her 5yrs ago. speed huh?
i was under the impression she liked the nose candy. she wasn't into any of that when we met her. so sad... :(

El Austriaco
11-24-07, 19:51

Interesting read
To tell you the truth, this article is about as superficial and wishy washy as they come. Just reading a statement like "From the minute you arrive at the airport, all you hear from these very beautiful women is how much they like black men and how attractive you are. It is that kind of affirmation that has been attracting black men to Rio for many years" had me on the floor. I mean, as a white guy, those beautiful women DON'T tell me this or what? And really, it's not like they have hundreds or GDPs hanging out at the airport. Why not tell it like it is... those beautiful women are more or less hardcore hookers who tell clients what they want to hear!

A statement like the above already shows how clueless the author, who probably spent no more than a few weeks hanging around the most notorious Copababana hooker hangouts, really is. To say nothing of the racial prejudices and stereotypes that are still very prevalent in Brazil today.

But I guess the real story wouldn't really be considered very newsworthy at all. The real story is: instead of paying wads of money in overpriced US strip clubs for virtually nothing sexual in return, US citizens of all races and ethnic background who can afford it prefer to travel overseas to obtain better services at a fraction of the cost.

How about that for an article, Mr. PhD sociology and social work student?

EA, PhD student in mongering practice :)

Bravo
11-24-07, 20:09
To tell you the truth, this article is about as superficial and wishy washy as they come. Just reading a statement like "From the minute you arrive at the airport, all you hear from these very beautiful women is how much they like black men and how attractive you are. It is that kind of affirmation that has been attracting black men to Rio for many years" had me on the floor. I mean, as a white guy, those beautiful women DON'T tell me this or what? And really, it's not like they have hundreds or GDPs hanging out at the airport. Why not tell it like it is... those beautiful women are more or less hardcore hookers who tell clients what they want to hear!

A statement like the above already shows how clueless the author, who probably spent no more than a few weeks hanging around the most notorious Copababana hooker hangouts, really is. To say nothing of the racial prejudices and stereotypes that are still very prevalent in Brazil today.

But I guess the real story wouldn't really be considered very newsworthy at all. The real story is: instead of paying wads of money in overpriced US strip clubs for virtually nothing sexual in return, US citizens of all races and ethnic background who can afford it prefer to travel overseas to obtain better services at a fraction of the cost.

How about that for an article, Mr. PhD sociology and social work student?

EA, PhD student in mongering practice :)

Your right on the money with most of your statements, unfortunately, the truth is boring and it wouldnt sell many articles/books.

Rio Joe
11-24-07, 21:38
Just reading a statement like "From the minute you arrive at the airport, all you hear from these very beautiful women is how much they like black men and how attractive you are..." had me on the floor.
EA, PhD student in mongering practice :) Wouldn't it be great if termas sent "party limos" with 4 or 5 garotas to pick us up at the airport? Actually, that's not a bad idea.

Rio Joe
11-24-07, 23:39
I've always been fascinated by the difference between the U.S. and Brazil when it comes to attitudes towards sex. I've done quite a bit of research and learned things about Brazil's history you might find interesting.

Brazil's 2000 census counted 125 million Catholics, roughly 73 percent of the population, down from 92 percent in 1970. Even with that drop, Brazil remains the largest Catholic nation on earth, a strange setting for an erotic paradise. But the numbers disguise the essence of Brazil's brand of Catholicism. Anthropologist Richard Parker says that the country's Portuguese settlers brought with them the sensual character of Portugal's Catholic tradition— "its festivals and village feasts in honor of the saints who ... offered assistance in matters of love ... its remarkably relaxed sexual morality." Parker says modern Brazilians see this "as a key source for the unusual degree of sensuality that marks Brazilian life even today."

The paradox of Brazil's Catholicism might best be symbolized by the huge statue of Christ overlooking Rio, his outstretched arms seeming to welcome everyone to the city, whatever their pleasure. If the statue could really make his feelings known about all the hedonistic craziness going on below, I suspect his eyes would well up like "Iron Eyes Cody," the crying Indian in the old "Keep America Beautiful" commercial.

Quite a contrast with Brazil's Indians, who apparently only knew tears of joy during their first encounters with Europeans in the early 16th century. The indigenous tribes that welcomed the young Portuguese sailors to South America's Atlantic coast were apparently just as horny as their sea-weary guests. "No sooner had the European leaped ashore than he found his feet slipping among the naked Indian women," wrote Brazilian sociologist Gilberto Freyre. "They would give themselves to the European for a comb or a broken mirror."

Pero Vaz de Caminha, who accompanied explorer Pedro Alvares Cabral in 1500 on his discovery of Brazil, told Portugal's king: "One of those maidens was completely dyed, both below and above her waist, and surely was so well made up and so round, and her shameful part (that had no shame) so gracious, that many women from our land, seeing her countenance, will feel shame in not having theirs like hers."

As accounts like these drifted back to Europe, more sailors came, making Brazil a nation essentially founded on sex tourism.

Portugal's official policy seemed to favor this libidinous activity as it allowed Portugal, with its relatively small population, to stay competitive with Spanish Conquistadors by creating generations of mixed blood particularly well-suited to colonizing the New World.

By the mid-1500s, Brazil was involved in the slave trade, ultimately importing almost 40 percent of the 11 million souls transported to the New World, making Brazil the Americas' biggest exploiter of African slaves. Hardly a recipe for a racial paradise. But Africans became integral to Brazil's dynamic mix. The emerging nation's "sexual hyperesthesia," wrote Brazilian scholar Paulo Prado, "avoided the segregation of the African element that occurred in the United States.... Here lust and social laxity brought together and united the races.... The seduction of the Portuguese settler by the negra and the mulata would become legendary."

Prado's take, published in 1928, still provokes intense debate in Brazil, where the huge gap between rich and poor closely follows racial lines. Yet most Brazilians defy racial categories. Around half of the country's 180 million people have African ancestors, but only 6.2 percent consider themselves black.

It might be hard for most Americans, to whom legalized prostitution is literally a foreign concept, to understand how mainstream the sex industry is in Brazil. In fact, there's an ongoing struggle between those who want to clean up the country's image and those who embrace it.

Luckily for those of us who enjoy the country's native "talent," the Brazilian government itself seems unsure of its position on prostitution. The government's official directory of occupations advises those who wish to make a living as a "sex professional" (Category 5198, as listed in the directory): "Seduce with your glance ... charm with your voice ... conquer with your touch." Along with sexually transmitted diseases and violence, the directory notes "inhalation of vehicle fumes" as an occupational risk.

Category 5198 originally included "fazer companhia ao turista"—providing company for a tourist—among a prostitute's tasks. But the tourism minister learned of the reference and complained that it contradicted Brazil's official stance against sex travel. The bureaucrats in charge of the directory quickly deleted it. They claimed that their intention never was to promote sex tourism, and that the overall purpose of Category 5198 was to help health officials plan education campaigns. They also said they weren't making any value judgments about prostitution by including it in the directory.

One of the government's health campaigns was the springboard for a new pop-culture icon, a busty cartoon hooker named "Maria Without Shame." Health officials teamed with prostitutes to blanket the country with pamphlets featuring Maria urging her fellow sex workers to use condoms and "value your work. Don't be ashamed, girl. You're a professional." Although such colorful efforts might add to the mixed signals about Brazil's erotic image, they've also contributed to the relatively low, stable rate of HIV infection among female sex workers—about six percent in 2005.

The exuberance of "Maria Without Shame" has a counterpoint in Rio de Janeiro State's ham-fisted attempt to reduce the area's sex appeal by restricting postcards of bikini-clad Brasileiras.

Brazilians who want to tone down the country's image are up against more than pretty postcards. They also face the growing political clout of Brazil's prostitutes. Sex workers won a symbolic, but notable, victory in 2005 when Brazil rejected $40 million in U.S. funding to fight AIDS. The rejection was in protest of the Bush administration's requirement that recipients—in this case, partnerships with prostitutes, like the coalition behind the "Maria Without Shame" campaign—condemn prostitution.

Working girls also proved their lobbying prowess when the Association of Prostitutes of Bahia won permission to start an FM station, Radio Zona, in the city of Salvador. The group's spokesman told Reuters that Zona wouldn't focus on recruiting new prostitutes. But neither would it "apologize for prostitution." It would "struggle for the dignity of the profession." The line-up would include programs about AIDS prevention and human rights.

Davida, a Rio-based prostitute advocacy group, had a more-immediate impact on Brazil's popular culture with the launch of its own clothing line, "Daspu," a name that's both an abbreviation of das putas ("from the prostitutes") and a gibe at Brazilian fashion emporium Daslu. "Daspu" has generated loads of coverage, including a piece in the Brazilian edition of Vogue featuring the clothing line's prostitute models. Daspu, though, has hardly been a blip on the media's radar compared to Raquel Pacheco, AKA Bruna "Surfer Girl" Surfistinha. She catapulted to fame through online accounts of her life as a high-priced escort in Sao Paulo. According to The New York Times, it was the most popular blog in Brazil. Her steamy anecdotes set off a national debate about sexual values, leading to a publishing deal and a best-selling memoir, O Doce Veneno do Escorpião ("The Scorpion's Sweet Venom"). An American edition came out this year, and a film version is in the works.

Member #4042
11-25-07, 00:37
I read in O Globo back in octuber that Varig would start traveling to Miami starting March. It also mentioned New York but I don't remember dates for NY.The article also discussed other destinations.

I am waiting that anxiously because I have 50,000 miles I have been waiting to use.

My friend is a flight attendant with Varig (is it wrong to call them stewardesses?). She said Varig's supposed to resume flights from New York early next year. Anyone heard anything on this?

Sperto
11-25-07, 01:26
I've done quite a bit of research and learned things about Brazil's history you might find interesting...
...making Brazil a nation essentially founded on sex tourism.
****shit..

Ezinho
11-25-07, 01:47
RJ,

Did you actually write this yourself, or did you copy and paste it from another website?

Perhaps the 'Macunaima in Brazil' thread may be a more appropriate place for your "research".

Pipe Layer99
11-25-07, 02:25
She is bad news.

You are correct. My wingman and I passed on her and her friend one night this week (even though we got them down to R150 TLN). Two days later I saw them at MP and negotiated R200 total for 1.5 hrs for both of them. I wanted them both to blow me at the same time
and dumbass Juliana was being difficult. I threatened to throw her ass out for trying to control everything. She thought she would get paid anyway. I said no you can leave now with nothing. I had to remind her I am paying her for performance - my way, not hers. Plus, she talks waaaaaay to damn much and acts like her sh!t does not stink. In the end she behaved and they blew me and I banged them both.

Then next night I banged her sweet 22 yr old friend TLN for R100. Then following evening she came over for free. My first freebee from a GDP in 4 trips.

This is day 17. I will drop some trip reports when I go home in a few days.

Donnie

Tiger

Chris H
11-25-07, 03:41
This is day 17. I will drop some trip reports when I go home in a few days.

Donnie

What??? You are still out there??? You lucky DOG!!

Chris H

Rio Joe
11-25-07, 11:49
****shit.. Why? The line about Brazil being "essentially founded on sex tourism" is a bit over the top. But the main point is that sexuality is deeply embedded in Brazil's history. That's not a "bad" thing.

Rio Joe
11-25-07, 11:52
RJ, Did you actually write this yourself, or did you copy and paste it from another website? Except where I quoted other sources, I wrote it myself.

Perhaps the 'Macunaima in Brazil' thread may be a more appropriate place for your "research". Why?

Canuck9970
11-26-07, 05:42
Exec Talent,

I would have to agree that your opinion echoes mine. RioJoe aka Joe Diamond aka Joe Bergen aka Joe Zigfield has a very different mission than the others in this forum. Perhaps he can find a source other than ISG for his next sex industry article.

Thanks for giving everyone a heads-up!

Mr Enternational
11-26-07, 06:11
Why? The line about Brazil being "essentially founded on sex tourism" is a bit over the top. But the main point is that sexuality is deeply embedded in Brazil's history. That's not a "bad" thing.

Huh? When the hell did that happen? I must have missed that class when I was in grad school in Rio. Let me see...I remember Dom Pedro II, caixa 2 to avoid the tax man, Lula likes Johnnie Walker, how to compete with all the "B" brands, São Sebastião do Rio de Janeiro March 1, 1565...but Brazil founded on sex tourism? Come to think of it, I didn't miss the class. It was offered at Meia Pataca and Help everyday, not even a sqkm of a country of more than 8.5 million sqkms.

I think sexuality is deeply embedded in human history, independant of Brazil. None of our mongering asses would be here if it wasn't for that, for it is essential that people, plants, and animals have to fuck if we are going to keep this planet going.

Rio Joe
11-26-07, 09:00
I read in O Globo back in octuber that Varig would start traveling to Miami starting March. It also mentioned New York but I don't remember dates for NY.The article also discussed other destinations.

I am waiting that anxiously because I have 50,000 miles I have been waiting to use. Me too. I've got those Varig "Smiles Miles" gathering dust. If I hear anything new, I'll let you know. Ever heard of BACC Travel? They frequently offer good prices on Brazil flights.

Rio Joe
11-26-07, 09:57
Huh? When the hell did that happen? I must have missed that class when I was in grad school in Rio....
I think sexuality is deeply embedded in human history, independant of Brazil. None of our mongering asses would be here if it wasn't for that, for it is essential that people, plants, and animals have to fuck if we are going to keep this planet going. Your last points are right on the bullseye.

Also, I agree it's not the kind of thing they'll teach every day in grad school. (Although there's got to be some classes on it, since the people who write books on this stuff tend to be academics. See below.)

There has to be solid reasons why Brazilians strike so many of us as incredibly sensual. GDPs or non-pros, they seem to possess an extraordinary magnetism that transcends their looks or the shape of their bunda. I'm no historian, but I'm a pretty good researcher, and I found books by much smarter men than me that delve into Brazil's sexual evolution. One of them is "Bodies, Pleasures, And Passions: Sexual Culture in Contemporary Brazil" by Richard Parker, an anthropologist at the State University of Rio de Janeiro. Truth be told, you can learn more about present-day Brazil's sex scene from this board. But the author does give an interesting look at how the country's erotic past paved the way for the things we love about Brazil today.

As I said in my response to Sperto, my line that Brazil was "essentially founded on sex tourism" is over the top. It would have been more accurate to say that "sexpatriates" or "sexpats" from Portugal were a vital part of the colony's early make-up. According to Parker and other historians, the Indian women on Brazil's coast were very "receptive" to the Portuguese sailors. As the Portuguese government learned of this, they encouraged more young men to cross the Atlantic, mix it up with the locals, and raise enough kids to grab Brazil's interior before the Spanish got to it.

Obviously, the government's main concern wasn't that its sailors got laid; they wanted them to intermarry with the native population purely for political reasons. But a major inducement for the sailors was the chance to go to an "exotic paradise" where the Indian girls were a lot less uptight than the nice Catholic girls in Lisbon. In other words, they were Brazil's first mongers.

Ryjerrob
11-28-07, 18:29
Hey guys, I seem to remember someone posting a link to the local bus service in Rio. Now that I need it, I can't find it. Anyone know which thread it was in? Thanks.

ryjer

Sperto
11-28-07, 19:50
Hey guys, I seem to remember someone posting a link to the local bus service in Rio. Now that I need it, I can't find it. Anyone know which thread it was in? Thanks.
ryjer
http://www.rioonibus.com/guia_de_itinerarios/index.asp

Exec Talent
11-28-07, 19:56

ryjer

Is this what you are looking for?

www.rioonibus.com

If not, let me know.

Thanos
11-28-07, 23:47
This is the third time this has happend to me. My last 5 year visa was issued in 2000, expired last year. I went twice last year and both times I got a 90 day visa. I am planning a trip for Feb, got another 90 day visa. I am tempted to boycott Brazil and go pussy hunting in other parts of the world, but I am addicted to that Brazilian azz too much!Sexual tourism. The brazilians are trying to cut down on it as bogus as it might seem. I've had plenty of friends who have gotten stuck with the 90 day visa and one who was denied altogether. He later fought it and got a 90 day. What you mentioned (boycotting brazil) is exactly what they want.

Chris H
11-29-07, 04:39
My friend that went down with me to Rio a couple of weeks ago got a 90 day Visa and he was pissed. He called Passports Plus, (which is the agency he got it from), and they said they don't give out 5 year Visas anymore, because people were going down to Brazil and staying there.

Chris H

Mr Enternational
11-29-07, 06:11
Sexual tourism. The brazilians are trying to cut down on it as bogus as it might seem. I've had plenty of friends who have gotten stuck with the 90 day visa and one who was denied altogether. He later fought it and got a 90 day. What you mentioned (boycotting brazil) is exactly what they want.

Or could they be trying to make more off of sexual tourism? 5 years worth of 90-day visas would total $2000 whereas 1 5-year visa would only be $100!

I don't see any reason they would want you not to go to the country, because everybody loses out. The airlines, the taxis, the hotels, the restaurants, and the girls who would otherwise not have a means of support, which would mean more people in poverty. Why would they want less money to come into the country?

Brazil just has a tendency to say things as a front. They make laws but then after make jeitinhos (favors) to go around them. It's just the culture.

Benjoe
11-29-07, 06:43
My friend that went down with me to Rio a couple of weeks ago got a 90 day Visa and he was pissed. He called Passports Plus, (which is the agency he got it from), and they said they don't give out 5 year Visas anymore, because people were going down to Brazil and staying there.

Chris H
Which Brazilian Consulate are people using, when getting the 90 day visas?

FLRoadWarrior
11-29-07, 14:50
I have a 5 year Visa. I went to Miami in person. I had no problem. My friend sent off for his. He took and wrote a note attached to his paper work. He explained that he will make many trips in the next five years, because there are so many landmarks he wants to see. And he wants to travel the country to become more educated on Brazil and the people and customs. And he wants to learn the language. He was given a 5 year. My other friend who is Asian. He is from the MidWest wrote the same letter was denied. So maybe Miami cuts us a little more slack.

FRW

Off Road
11-29-07, 19:20
Which Brazilian Consulate are people using, when getting the 90 day visas?You know you do not get to choose a consulate, you are stuck with the one that services where you live.
But it would be nice to know which ones people have had luck with. Los Angeles, a year ago was still doing 5 year.

Looking For Eden
11-29-07, 20:31
I got the 5 year one in Miami.

Lorenzo
11-29-07, 21:18
You know you do not get to choose a consulate, you are stuck with the one that services where you live.
But it would be nice to know which ones people have had luck with. Los Angeles, a year ago was still doing 5 year.
Not necessarily, If you use a visa service, they can use the consulate in whose area the service is located. If the LA consulate is still giving 5-year visas, best to find a visa service in LA. I have used Passports Plus before for other visas. Although they are located in Houston, they told me they have a courier who takes all visa applications to the respective embassies in Washington. So if a 90 day visa was issued through Passports Plus, that means it was the embassy that did it.

I don't believe for a minute that Brazil wants to eliminate sex tourism, since it is a main source of revenue. But they would like it to be more discreet. I know that the behavior of some of the more loutish mongers offends middle class Brazilians. I have had some Brazilians express outrage when their teenage daughter was approached by drunken gringos and treated as if she were a GDP. I'm sure things like this get back to people in power. I have a hunch that a 90-day visa is a way to make sure that a person who gets in trouble--like, say, arrested or made the subject of a police report--doesn't get another visa. Just my not-so-humble opinion.

L

Off Road
11-29-07, 22:39
Not necessarily, If you use a visa service, they can use the consulate in whose area the service is located.
I do NOT know this for a fact, but the LA Consulate web site says:

Applicants not applying in person must also present a proof of residence within the consular jurisdiction for the past 12 months (i.e. utility bill, driver license or voter's registration);

I belive in person they ask for your drivers license. Maybe this is just LA or just something they do not enforce.

In looking at the Houston and San Francisco consluate web sites, they do not ask for proof of residence. Los Angeles will not do any visas by mail, San Francisco will not accecpt by mail but return by mail, Houston will accecpt and return by mail. This just illustrates the frustratiions you can have with dealing with Brazil. They all have their own interpretations.

I have always found it best to work with an agency that knows what it is doing, they can tell you what to expect and what they have been seeing.
I like the local ones that deal just with Brazil, and are typically close to the consulates.

Chris H
11-29-07, 23:54

The one in Houston. I used this same place, but they gave me a 5 yr visa.

Chris H

Monger X
11-30-07, 03:34
Los Angeles, a year ago was still doing 5 year.

I got my 5 year visa there in August.

Dcsplicer
11-30-07, 06:45

I went for my third Visa within a year, and they keep giving me 90 days. My last time in October, they held off approving the Visa until they got a fax from my employer about the nature of my visit even though I checked the tourism box for my reason for visiting!

Rio Joe
11-30-07, 09:48
Exec Talent, I would have to agree that your opinion echoes mine. RioJoe... has a very different mission than the others in this forum. I'm not really sure what my mission is except have as much fun in Rio as possible and write interesting stuff about it. Admittedly, the first part's a lot easier than the second because I'm no Hemingway. But occasionally magazines pay me to go down there and get laid. (Well, mais ou menos: they pay me to write about the things I do there. Since I'm relatively poor, it helps me afford to monger.)

Doug24
11-30-07, 18:17
Which Brazilian Consulate are people using, when getting the 90 day visas?I went thru the DC consulate in March and got a second 5 years visa.

Pipe Layer99
11-30-07, 21:45
I went for my third Visa within a year, and they keep giving me 90 days. My last time in October, they held off approving the Visa until they got a fax from my employer about the nature of my visit even though I checked the tourism box for my reason for visiting!

Get on-line and find out which office will accept the visa application via mail and then use them. Call them to confirm you'll get a 5 year visa.
I got a 5 year visa in Chicago last year. It only took 3 days. DD

Exec Talent
11-30-07, 22:18
When a buddy of mine from Texas used that phrase I loved hearing it so much I asked him to repeat it several times. In the much drier world of accounting, it is form over substance. In Georgia, it is that dog don't hunt.

Rio Joe your research is spotty at best, you write like an ad for Amway, not Hemingway and the only reason your stuff sells at all is because there are too many magazines and web sites starving for content. Any content.

If Sperto or EA were to write a book on Brazil to be published in 2014, I would buy an advance copy today. However I have a hard time reading what you write beyond the hyperbolic titles.

I think I am going to call my friend in Texas right now. I just love to hear him say it. Rio Joe may I conference you in?

Rio Joe
11-30-07, 23:34
Rio Joe your research is spotty at bestDo you have examples? Never trust someone who makes broad accusations without backing them up.

I have a hard time reading what you write beyond the hyperbolic titles.If you're not reading my posts in detail, how can you say that my research is spotty? Never trust someone who makes conflicting statements.

I think I am going to call my friend in Texas right now. I just love to hear him say it.It's the start of the weekend; why don't you cut him a break and NOT call him? It's clear from the rants you've unleashed on other ISG members that you're not exactly a "people person."

El Austriaco
12-01-07, 00:13
As I said in my response to Sperto, my line that Brazil was "essentially founded on sex tourism" is over the top. It would have been more accurate to say that "sexpatriates" or "sexpats" from Portugal were a vital part of the colony's early make-up. According to Parker and other historians, the Indian women on Brazil's coast were very "receptive" to the Portuguese sailors. As the Portuguese government learned of this, they encouraged more young men to cross the Atlantic, mix it up with the locals, and raise enough kids to grab Brazil's interior before the Spanish got to it.
ET, to quickly address Rio Joe's assertion that Brazil was "essentially founded on sex tourism", a comment he has put in context since (see above), while the way of putting it was certainly controversial and probably intended to stir up a discussion, I personally don't think that it was so far off the mark to make it entirely ridiculous. I just double-checked something along these lines that I vaguely remembered from reading a while ago, and here it is (emphasis added). This is about Brazil as a Portuguese colony during the 16th century, once the slave trade had kicked in:

"Portugal was not an overpopulated country. There was no capitalist revolution and no enclosures, as in England, forcing the peasantry off the land. Consequently, the typical Brazilian settler emigrated by choice with the hope of untold riches. These settlers were notoriously indisposed to work; even poor whites had a slave or two. There was a popular saying that "the slaves are the hands and feet of the whites".

The sugar barons lived on their plantations part-time and escaped to their second houses in the cities, where they often kept mulatto (of mixed black and European parentage) mistresses. The white women led barren, cloistered lives inside the walls of the casa grande (big house). Secluded from all but their family and servants, the women married young - usually at age 14 or 15 years of age - and often died early.

Sexual relations between masters and slaves were so common that a large mulatto population soon emerged. Off the plantations there was a shortage of white women, so many poorer settlers lived with black and Indian women. Prostitution was prevalent; many of the free mixed-race women could only survive by working as concubines or prostitutes. Brazil was famous for its sexual permissiveness, but by the beginning of the 18th century, it became known as the land of syphilis (even in the monasteries) and wrought devastation.

The church was tolerant of any coupling that helped populate the colony and many priests had mistresses and illegitimate children. As Gilberto Freyre, Brazil's most famous social scientist, said of the priests: "a good part if not the majority of them assisted in the work of procreation, and their cooperation was so gratefully accepted that the courts did not arrest or issue warrants for any cleric or friar on the charge of keeping a concubine."

In the poorer regions of Pará, Maranhao, Ceará and Sao Paulo, where settlers could not afford black slaves, Indian slaves were more common. Here, interracial sex was more prevalent between whites and Indians and just as tolerated (this is evident in the racial mix in those states today). As in the rest of the colony, sexual relations were rather licentious . As the Bishop of Pará summed up: the wretched state of manners in this country puts me in mind of the end that befell the five cities, and makes me think that I am living in the suburbs of Gomorrah, very close indeed, and in the vicinity of Sodom."

Source: Lonely Planet Brazil. 4th edition, November 1998, p. 18.

Certainly, while racial mixing occured to some extent or another in most of the Spanish and Portuguese colonies at the time, and priests and missionaries weren't exactly angels elsewhere, either, it still seems fair to me to say that Brazil was truly in a class of its own even back in the 1600. And if you compare it to what happened in the U.S.... ufff, what a difference, no?

And while sex might not have been a major motivator for the early Portuguese settlers of Brazil, especially after the sugar trade took off and allowed some of them to become rich beyond belief, it certainly wasn't a exactly a deterrent, either. I think that it's fair to say that some of the early immigration to Brazil was clearly fostered, though certainly not triggered, by promises of sexual freedom. Not all that different from today, right?

But anyhow. I remember that when I first started learning Portuguese, at the tender age of 19, I actually took lessons with a female teacher from Lisbon, by pure accident. Depending on what year you started Portuguese at my college, you would either start learning Lusoportuguese, i.e. Continental Portuguese, like in my case, or the Brazilian variety with a professor from Brazil. Anyhow, I still got to know him, of course, because I had to take his course in Brazilian history and culture. One time, we happened to talk about women, and that's what he told me:

"One woman just isn't enough for a guy, you know. In Brazil, you need three: a white one, to marry. A black one, to cook. And a mulatta... for sex!"

I guess he knew what he was talkng about. After all... he was a priest himself :)

EA

Combo
12-01-07, 13:06
I agree with El Austriaco. Rio Joe's analysis is actually pretty accurate. What he's referring to is actually fairly well-known (although not the type of discussion this board is geared towards).

A huge difference in the Puritan heritage of the U. S. Vs. That of Brasil has to do with how the country was settled. The U. S. For the most part was settled by families. The Portuguese, on the other hand, did not bring their families with them to the New World. I don't need to explain the rest of the story.

Ejam06
12-02-07, 04:37
Anyone know how far Rio is Belo Horizonte? Are buses that one can take there from Rio.

Thanks

Hojeobrigado
12-03-07, 01:39
Belo is about 300 miles from Rio, yes there are dozens of buses everyday including overnight express buses.

Cheers,

Hoje

Anyone know how far Rio is Belo Horizonte? Are buses that one can take there from Rio.

Thanks

JohnnyBraz
12-03-07, 04:43
Get on-line and find out which office will accept the visa application via mail and then use them. Call them to confirm you'll get a 5 year visa.
I got a 5 year visa in Chicago last year. It only took 3 days. DDI am quite lucky on this, I live in australia, have a british passport, due to parents, also a Australian passport and new zealand one, on British and New Zealand don't need a visa. Also a nz passport has permanent entry to Australia.

Thanos
12-04-07, 07:45
Belo is about 300 miles from Rio, yes there are dozens of buses everyday including overnight express buses.

Cheers,

HojeAbout 6-8 hours. Take the bus from the rodaviaria. Maybe 60-85R on the executive bus. Travel at night push back your seat and sleep. Stay at the IBIS hotel 75-90R a night.

Jan 156
12-04-07, 21:14
Hi Jackson!

Any chance of a a PDA-friendly viewing option at some time in the future?

I know it probably all comes down to money but thought I'd mention it. I rarely take a laptop travelling and not everywhere has handy internet cafes. I can surf using my phone but the ISG pages are very large files and often the pages crash before they have downloaded. Plus I can't find any way to post, or reply to PMs.

AdultWork has managed a PDA-view option which works well, though they no doubt have more cash to spend. ISG is a brilliantly laid-out site, and it would be great to be able to navigate it using a PDA or mobile phone.

Just a thought

Chris

Brugal8
12-12-07, 21:45
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this but it seems the most appropriate to me to post what I wan to post.

Maybe all the fellow mongers have noticed but Brazil is openly fighting one of teh the things that has made the country famous around the world and has us coming again and again: "prostitution".

They have closed several houses in sao paulo which have been closed before but always reopened but not this time.

Several termas have been closed or raided in rio and in sao paulo is the prostitution in the whole state that is being fought.

I don't know the reason for this but we must admit that since Lula Brazil is a different country very strong economically, solid currency, debts paid to IMF,etc..

I would really like to know what other mongers think about this current situation which I think is not going to last but now I'm doubting myself

Rio Joe
12-12-07, 23:02
Brazil is openly fighting... prostitution.... since Lula Brazil is a different country very strong economically, solid currency, debts paid to IMF,etc. Brazil still has a long way to go economically. But one thing is for sure: If/when more decent-paying jobs become available, the types of girls who become prostitutes will change, probably for the worse. The higher-quality girls (intelligence, looks, upbringing, etc.) will seek more mainstream jobs. The high-quality ones that do stay in the business will charge more money, seeing themselves almost as call-girls in the States. It's a real catch-22, because as much as many of us here would like to see Brazilians have a better life, I think the impact on Brazil's commercial sex scene would be negative for mongers.

Of course this is all hypothetical. Any changes that happen will be incremental, not immediate.

Mr Enternational
12-13-07, 05:39
Maybe all the fellow mongers have noticed but Brazil is openly fighting one of teh the things that has made the country famous around the world and has us coming again and again: "prostitution".
They have closed several houses in sao paulo which have been closed before but always reopened but not this time.
Several termas have been closed or raided in rio and in sao paulo is the prostitution in the whole state that is being fought.
I would really like to know what other mongers think about this current situation which I think is not going to last but now I'm doubting myself

Let's discuss it over a couple of garotas and cervejas in VM. I'm sure that hangout won't be closing anytime soon!

Rio Joe
12-13-07, 10:34
Rio Joe...the only reason your stuff sells at all is because there are too many magazines and web sites starving for content.True, many print and online publications are starving for content. But some of the magazines I write for pay top dollar, including Hustler. It may not be the New Yorker in terms of literary aspirations, but it has one of the biggest audiences of any men's magazine. There are long lines of struggling, talented writers constantly pitching Hustler (if not for the "prestige" of being in the magazine, then for the money). So Hustler is hardly "starving for content." Yet they still choose me to write for them. I guess those readers that actually do look at the articles find something of interest in my stuff.

Still, I appreciate your criticism, ET. It inspires me to improve my writing. Muito obrigado, amigo. It's a bit early, but let me wish you: Um Feliz Natal e Próspero Ano Novo. Eu espero que nós possamos tomar uma bebida junto no ano que vem no Rio.

Johan
12-14-07, 06:18
Is this a scam?

I received from the mail about some sorts of class action lawsuit that they sued all the banks, Visa, Mastercard that issued credit/debit/ATM cards and won a settlement that the banks never disclosed the 1%-3% foreign transaction fees that is being levied on customers (all major banks were involved, HSBC, Citi, Bank of America...as none of them made disclosure that they charged this fees). The settlement called for refunding a portion of this fees to customers. (see link below). is this legit or a scam? The fact that they require you providing personal info caused me some hesitation.

http://www.ccfsettlement.com/

Lorenzo
12-14-07, 06:23
Is this a scam?

I received from the mail about some sorts of class action lawsuit that they sued all the banks, Visa, Mastercard that issued credit/debit/ATM cards and won a settlement that the banks never disclosed the 1%-3% foreign transaction fees that is being levied on customers (all major banks were involved, HSBC, Citi, Bank of America...as none of them made disclosure that they charged this fees). The settlement called for refunding a portion of this fees to customers. (see link below). is this legit or a scam? The fact that they require you providing personal info caused me some hesitation.

No, it is not a scam. The only info I submitted was an estimate of the number of days I spent overseas on foreign travel between 1996-2006. I selected the second option. If you choose the third option, itemizing expenses, then I think you have to provide credit card numbers. But it is legitimate.

L

Latina Passion
12-14-07, 06:25
Is this a scam?

Both at my P.O. Box and my home for 3% I trashed that shit, because they asked for my full credit card account number!

Ejam06
12-14-07, 06:49
Thanks for the infro.

Cheers,

Hoje

JohnnyBraz
12-14-07, 08:13
Let's discuss it over a couple of garotas and cervejas in VM. I'm sure that hangout won't be closing anytime soon!Brazil has no other ecomney that supports tourists like us. Sure it has a beautiful tropical climate, but it also has severe slums that are similar to african countries. And very undesirable. Without the cheap women there it has nothing, as every monger would just go elsewhere and there are so many south american countries that are willing to take the place of brazil. The average brazilian earns. 600 reals a month. The average australian earns 6000 reals a month if you compare the 2.come on 10 fold. It would take 2 decades to match. Off massive rececsion in one and massive growth in the other. I't 'I'll never happen.

Sperto
12-14-07, 10:58
Without the cheap women there it has nothing, as every monger would just go elsewhere and there are so many south american countries that are willing to take the place of brazil.
I'm quite sure that there are lots of mongers that think Brazil has a lot to offer except for cheap women.

Lorenzo
12-14-07, 18:39
Both at my P.O. Box and my home for 3% I trashed that shit, because they asked for my full credit card account number!
Absolutely not true. There was an article in the Wall Street Journal about this class action suit, so it is legit. There are 3 options for making a claim, and it is only necessary to provide your credit card numbers if you choose the 3rd option, which is itemizing expenses.

L

Java Man
12-14-07, 19:05
Latin Passion you just threw money away.
You can go online and fill out the application. Option 1 gives you a $25 refund. I've changed credit cards, I no longer know all my credit cards numbers between 1996 and 2006. But I can figure out how many days I was out of the US in that period, (Option 3.) I should get more than $25.
As an FYI, this year alone, 3 charges using an ATM in Rio to access my US account were over $25.
The practice hasn't changed, they've only notified card holders of the charges.

Sprite13
12-15-07, 09:39
Originally Posted by JohnnyBraz
Without the cheap women there it has nothing, as every monger would just go elsewhere and there are so many south american countries that are willing to take the place of brazil.

[QUOTE=Sperto]I'm quite sure that there are lots of mongers that think Brazil has a lot to offer except for cheap women.

I totally agree with Sperto. What makes Brasil so unique compared to other countries is that there are so many things to do, so many places to go that one could even spend years there, they still wouldn't have done it all and seen it all. I for one, my trips to Brasil are not for mongering purposes as I have some very good and close friends (brasilians) there, plus the unmatched music and futebol which were initially the main reasons that took me to Brasil, and lately due to business. Whenever I go to Brasil, I stay as little as possible in Rio and get the hell out of there as fast as I can. This is a huge country, with an extreme variety of faces to discover and appreciate.

Just an advice JohnnyBraz that could make your next trip to Brasil truly unforgettable: before getting there, try to learn as much portuguese as you can, try to learn about the country, the culture and the people, then once there, try to leave Copa and Rio if you can to other parts of the country. To say that you'd be blown away would be an understatment. And as a general rule, the better one's portuguese becomes, and the more they get away from Rio, SP and onto other cities, the higher your chances of scoring with beautiful, intelligent, charming and sexy non-pros that you won't even have nor the time nor the need anymore to partake in P4P.

A bon entendeur, salut,

Falou.

Thanos
12-15-07, 21:48
Absolutely not true. There was an article in the Wall Street Journal about this class action suit, so it is legit. There are 3 options for making a claim, and it is only necessary to provide your credit card numbers if you choose the 3rd option, which is itemizing expenses.

LThe suit is legit but the only catch is that if you have many years to claim the banks kill you with fees for copies of your transactions. I've been visiting brazil since before the lawsuit began so my claim would span the entire ten years. Problem is my bank wants to charge $5. 00 per month for copies of my transactions. That's 120 months at 5 dollars a pop or 600 bucks and I'm not sure if it will be worth it.

Thanos
12-15-07, 22:57
[QUOTE=Brugal8]I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this but it seems the most appropriate to me to post what I wan to post.

Maybe all the fellow mongers have noticed but Brazil is openly fighting one of the the things that has made the country famous around the world and has us coming again and again: "prostitution".

Several termas have been closed or raided in Rio and in sao paulo is the prostitution in the whole state that is being fought.

I don't know the reason for this but we must admit that since Lula Brazil is a different country very strong economically, solid currency, debts paid to IMF, etc

Yes the situation has definitely changed.

As the economic situation in brazil steadily improves there will be less and less need for the dollars generated by sexual tourism and in turn the gdps and mongers will be tolerated less and less. Its evident now in copa where large numbers of apartments and hotels were always available to foreign tourist who brazilians knew were there for the sex trade. Now more and more owners and hotels are saying NO to mongers or simply jacking their prices up so high as to scare mongers away. Copa went through a downturn in the 90's and during that time mongers and especially americans were welcome because the dollar was so strong. Brazilians who by the way look down on mongers with disdain were economically forced to tolerate the foreigners and the drugs and the gdps. That's changing now and copa has changed as well. With the stronger economy more brazilians have money and girls who would normally come to copa can now stay out in Barra and deal with only brazilians. The beautiful girls have all gone off to europe and gotten married and the VM, Balconey girls have moved up to Help crushing the quality. As Brazil reaps the benefits of its newfound oil field more and more venues are going to be shut down.

==============================================

Greetings Thanos,

It appears that you inadvertently forgot to correctly place the quote tags in this report. Usually I can fix this sort of thing before it's displayed, but I don't have a clue as to how you intended this report to appear.

The quote tags are simple to use, all you have to do is look for them in the text. Anything that you want to appear in quotes must start with "[quote]" and end with "[/quote ]". Please note the "/" forward slash in the last tag. It's that simple.

In addition, you can preview your report before it's posted, so it's easy to check if you got it right before it's displayed in The Forum.

Thanks,

Jackson

Easy Go
12-16-07, 06:18
As far as the credit card refund suit goes, I read an article that says there are up to 30 million people eligible. The pot of money is less than $300 million after the lawyers take their cut. Do the math before you go to a lot of trouble to document a claim. It's another one of those "only the lawyers win" settlements. I got a check for $0.02 from a previous suit.

Lorenzo
12-16-07, 06:20
The suit is legit but the only catch is that if you have many years to claim the banks kill you with fees for copies of your transactions. I've been visiting brazil since before the lawsuit began so my claim would span the entire ten years. Problem is my bank wants to charge $5. 00 per month for copies of my transactions. That's 120 months at 5 dollars a pop or 600 bucks and I'm not sure if it will be worth it.
My suggestion would be that you choose Option 2, which is to estimate the total number of days you were out of the country during the period that the suit covers. The referees will then estimate how much of a refund you are due. That certainly saves a lot of hassle.

Thanos
12-17-07, 02:58
{
Interesting perspective on this subject. I thought what you say was going to happen because of the strong real, because the top talent girls would not come to Rio because they wouldn't want to hear Real poor mongers trying to bargain down TLN to 150 reais because they couldn't afford it.

I was hoping that the coming summer season and Carnaval would bring some of the top talent back from Europe and elswhere, what do you think?}I think that after alot of girls got burnt during the Pan Am games when they thought they were going to make a killing but didn't; most of the top talent will start to stay away from Rio. Carnaval is never the best time for the majority of the girls. Help is too expensive and the crowd is becoming more family oriented. Of course some will come back because its winter in Europe but on the whole its mostly new girls in Help now sprinkled in with the same old die hard girls like Flavia and others who have been there for years. From what I can see the hey days of Rio are over. The weak dollar, weak talent and too many guys overpaying girls who used to go for 100-150R for tln but now charge 250-300R have seen to that.

Thanos
12-17-07, 03:10
My suggestion would be that you choose Option 2, which is to estimate the total number of days you were out of the country during the period that the suit covers. The referees will then estimate how much of a refund you are due. That certainly saves a lot of hassle.I just found out that the banks are mandated to give free copies of bank statements when you let them know its for this lawsuit so I'm definitely going to pursue it.

Lorenzo
12-17-07, 05:39
I was hoping that the coming summer season and Carnaval would bring some of the top talent back from Europe and elswhere, what do you think?
It undoubtedly will. Europe is cold this time of year. Why not come home, stay warm for a few months, make some dinheiro off some gringos, then go back around March or so and continue the search for a European noivo or, better yet, marido? That's what I'd do if I were a GDP.

Lorenzo
12-17-07, 05:50
I'd like to recommend a Brazilian film called "Cidade Baixa." (Lower City) It's set mostly in Salvador and stars Alice Braga (Sonia's niece) as a young GDP. Alice is seen in multiple nude and hot sex scenes. What I found most interesting was that her primary goal is to find a gringo for Carnaval. :rolleyes: If it isn't playing in a "theater near you" (unlikely unless you live in a big city), you'll probably have to see it on one of the premium cable channels like I did. Check it out if you can.

L

Sperto
12-17-07, 07:44
Some more films that are definitely worth seeing:

Cidade de Deus (2002)
Tropa de Elite (2007)
Carandiru (2003)
Cidade dos Homens no 1-3 (2002-2005)
Iracema-uma Transa Amazônica (1976)
Guerra de Canudos (1997)
Cidade Baixa (2005)
Central do Brasil (1998)
Gabriela, Cravo e Canela (1983)
Pixote: A Lei do Mais Fraco (1981)

All of them are available on DVD (Tropa de Elite might only be available on pirata). A good place to look for these films is at FNAC in Barra Shopping.
By the way FNAC also has a great collection of music and litterature.

Prosal
12-17-07, 11:34
Some more films.
O Invasor is my fav brasilian movie. Paulo Miklos (Titas lead singer) is literally staggering in this devastating thriller occuring in Sao Paulo.

BTW *****house's sequences have been obviously shot in Conniff. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4Zqn7x58j0

Available on DVD.

Rio Joe
12-17-07, 15:13
So many great Brazilian films out there. Still, nothing tops "Terminator in Rio." Just to hear Arnie say "boon-duh" like it was a Viennese pastry is worth its weight in wiener schnitzel.

FYI, Just out of curiosity I googled "Cidade Baixa torrent". It led to a file which claims to be a pretty good downloadable copy of the film. Of course I resisted the urge to download because that just wouldn't be right.

Dcsplicer
12-17-07, 16:38
I'd like to recommend a Brazilian film called "Cidade Baixa." (Lower City) It's set mostly in Salvador and stars Alice Braga (Sonia's niece) as a young GDP.
L

It's also available on Netflix

Rio Joe
12-17-07, 19:58
Surprised no one mentioned (desculpa if I missed it) what's possibly the greatest Rio-based film of 'em all: Black Orpheus. Almost a half-century old, the film still holds up. Interestingly, many of the Cariocas seem to be dressed similar to today. That doesn't mean that today's Cariocas are out of style. Just the opposite, I think: that they have a timeless sense of style that never goes out of fashion.

El Austriaco
12-18-07, 00:48
Most of you probably know this one already but what about Bossa Nova with Amy Irving and Antonio Fagundes? It's not a serious movie but it's a great romantic comedy filmed in Rio with some nice shots fo the beach and good music.

Another pretty good one is "Midnight" , good scenes of Copacabana and the fireworks at midnight on New Years eve year 2000. Plus some footgae in a favela and Bangu jail. This movie is more serious, it's pretty good.
I am surprised no one has mentioned "Blame it on Rio", which, IMHO, was an earlier (1984) and much more thoughtful and funnier version of "Bossa Nova".

Although Sperto already mentioned it en passant, I would like to especially recommend "Central Station", i.e. Central do Brasil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Station_%28film%29). After all, an Academy Award nominee and Golden Globe winner for Best Foreign Language film, with Fernanda Montenegro being nominated for a Best Actress Oscar, too.

And for Copacabana's seedy underworld in the late 70s, "Amor Bandido" is hard to beat for me (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078768/plotsummary).

EA

George90
12-18-07, 14:05
Surprised no one mentioned (desculpa if I missed it) what's possibly the greatest Rio-based film of 'em all: Black Orpheus. Almost a half-century old, the film still holds up. Interestingly, many of the Cariocas seem to be dressed similar to today. That doesn't mean that today's Cariocas are out of style. Just the opposite, I think: that they have a timeless sense of style that never goes out of fashion.

I have seen 'Orfeo Negro' 3 times. I read (many years ago) that the female lead was actually an American woman. If anyone knows for certain, please confirm or refute this.

Sperto
12-18-07, 14:38
I have seen 'Orfeo Negro' 3 times. I read (many years ago) that the female lead was actually an American woman. If anyone knows for certain, please confirm or refute this.
Eurydice: Marpessa Dawn
Date of Birth: 3 January 1934, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA.

Sui Generis
12-18-07, 20:20
After two snow storms (both of 45 cm), now it's time to escape winter time seeing brazilians movies. Here's the program of the festival.

FESTIVAL DU FILM BRÉSILIEN DE
MONTRÉAL
Pela primeira vez no Canadá, uma mostra inteiramente dedicada ao cinema brasileiro!
A produçã̃o cinematográfica brasileira dos últimos anos é reconhecida internacionalmente por sua qualidade e diversidade. O Festival du Film Brésilien de Montréal vem apresentar, durante uma semana no Cinéma du Parc, uma seleção de grandes filmes feitos nesta nova fase do cinema
brasileiro. Entre filmes de ficção, documentários e curtas de animação, o festival traz uma oportunidade única de se assistir a filmes que têm como marca registrada a criatividade e audácia, tanto na forma quanto no conteúdo. Um jeito bem brasileiro de esquentar o comecinho do inverno!

ONDE QUANDO
Cinéma du Parc
3575, avenue du Parc Montréal 14 a 20 de Dezembro, 2007
+ 1 514 281 1900
www.cinemaduparc.com
QUANTO
Bilhetes:
$ 10.00
$ 7.00 (estudantes, + 60 anos, todas as sessões às ***ça-feiras, toda sessão antes das 6pm)
$ 5.00 (crianças)

Cartão Cine Pass: 40$ para 8 sessões

Filmes de Ficção Documentários
O Cheiro do Ralo
Heitor Dhalia
Antônia
Tata Amaral
A Máquina
João Falcão
Bendito Fruto
Sérgio Goldenberg
Mulheres do Brasil
Malu de Martino
Mestre Bimba, a capoeira iluminada
Luiz Fernando Goulart
Cartola, música para os olhos
Lírio Ferreira e Hilton Lacerda
Olhar estrangeiro
Lúcia Murat
Dia de festa
Toni Venturi e Pablo Georgieff
Faixa de areia
Daniela Kallmann e Flávia Lins e Silva
Ginga
Hank Levine, Marcelo Machado e Tocha Alves Filmes de Animação
Uma seleçao de curta-metragens de animação !
Informações:
www.brazilfilmfest.net
brazilfilmfest@jangada.org

Sperto
12-21-07, 06:57
Old favourite.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tamjSao4WNc

Righty22
12-22-07, 21:13
Does anyone know of any good discreet video equipment?

The equipment I bought has really bad quality.

Off Road
12-24-07, 04:36
Does anyone know of any good discreet video equipment?

The equipment I bought has really bad quality.Could you expand on your question. components, connections, capture, playback, formats?

The Watcher
12-24-07, 07:29
Old favourite.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tamjSao4WNc

Do you know the name of that song and the singer?

Sperto
12-24-07, 10:01
Do you know the name of that song and the singer?
Comanche
Jorge Ben Jor

Sui Generis
12-24-07, 13:09
You can check this one too!

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyvwo6npktE

George90
12-24-07, 22:23
I am in Recife right now visiting a friend. I noticed on the plane (90% Brazilians), at the airports, and here on the streets and on the beaches, that many Brazilians have gained a lot of weight over the past several years.

I remember my first trip almost 10 years ago when my head swiveled like a bobble-head doll looking at all the shapely bodies. I started noticing chunkier men and women 3 or 4 years ago but didn´t think much of it.

Today it was unavoidable and dramatic! Men have huge bellies. Women have stomachs and love handles that hang over the sides of their pants and bikinis. And they have fat that hangs over their bra straps. A few women in bikinis on the beach had 4 rolls of fat between their armpits and hips. The things is that lots of these chunkies are YOUNG!!!

My frst trip I would see a nice 25 year old body from far away and as she got closer I would see that her face was 45 years old. Now I see a 45 year old body from far away and up close the face is 25 years old.

There are still lots of somwhat slim people around. But my head is no longer swivelling.

I mentioned this to my friend and she agreed with my observation. She says that the prices of healthy food like fresh fruits and vegetab les is rising and people can´t afford to eat healthy. They are buying and eating cheap fatty food (high calories, low nutrition) and gaining weight as a result. She says it is happening all over Brazil.

Anyone else notice this? Are the GDPs in Rio still slim? I guess I do need to get there, as I have been told privately.

Sui Generis
12-24-07, 23:07
Maybe they are trying to emulate Tim Maia...

More seriously, Tim Maia is still one of my favorite singer. I've just received from my Brazilian girlfriend the biography of that icon of MPB. Vale Tudo...or Come tudo!

http://www.submarino.com.br/books_productdetails.asp?Query=ProductPage&ProdTypeId=1&ProdId=21250052&franq=251390

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=avEIJOYUMGc&feature=related

Prosal
12-24-07, 23:08
Overweight brasilians
You're totally right. Brasilian women mythical "beauty" is highly over-rated.

Even in the cosmopolitan bowels of Sao Paulo Vila Olimpia/Itaim Bibi or Rio Zona Sul, for every 1 hot woman, you get about 5 average and 10 fat, short, butt-ugly girls.

You go to places like Rio Zona Norte, Recife, Fortaleza, Sao Luis, ect and that ratio is 1 to 30, and in Belem or Manaus 1 to 40.

If you want to see thin and long legged stunning brunettes, go to Moldova, Romania, Ukraine, Bulgaria, South Russia, ect, where it's difficult to walk 10 meters without bumping into a smockin hot beauty.

Rio Joe
12-25-07, 00:37
If you want to see thin and long legged stunning brunettes, go to Moldova, Romania, Ukraine, Bulgaria, South Russia, ect, where it's difficult to walk 10 meters without bumping into a smockin hot beauty. Yeah, but do they have as much "fogo"/paixão as Brasileras? Eastern Europeans are notorious for being ice queens. You think it's true?

I find that a girl who's a 9 or 10 on looks drops to a 6 or 7 if she doesn't have the personality to match. Conversely, a 6 or 7 rises to the top if she's got enough sexual magnetism. Anyone else agree?

The Watcher
12-25-07, 04:16
Comanche
Jorge Ben Jor
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!!!!

Jan 156
12-25-07, 07:11
I find that a girl who's a 9 or 10 on looks drops to a 6 or 7 if she doesn't have the personality to match. Conversely, a 6 or 7 rises to the top if she's got enough sexual magnetism. Anyone else agree?

Absolutely. Easy to forget how much attitude counts. A few months ago at VM with a mate asked for a couple of regular chicks who are both quite hot. Known them both for years. But one of them is stunning. Blonde, hair, tiny waist, pin-up looks (apart from a mark under one arm where she had a bullet removed). I made arrangements for my mate to get the hot one but he ran a mile as soon as she gave him a "f*ck you!" attitude (which is her standard way of being sure she is the one doing the picking). I was delighted to pick her up while my mate did the other girl (who was busy turning on homely GFE charm).

I work on minuses. If a girl is butt-ugly, discount her. If she has a butt-ugly attitude (ie to me), discount her. If she's got a boring personality, discount her (except for a very fast quickie). Then I work down the list balancing availability - eg I don't like it if she smells and tastes of cigraette smoke, or wants too much money; but these, at least, are a negotiables. ;-)

Sperto
12-25-07, 11:40
I am in Recife right now visiting a friend. I noticed on the plane (90% Brazilians), at the airports, and here on the streets and on the beaches, that many Brazilians have gained a lot of weight over the past several years.
I think it can have some importance that Recife lies in the state of Pernambuco. IMHO the state in Brazil with the highest percentage of ugly people.

However the population is getting fatter in most civilized countries all over the world.

Prosal
12-25-07, 13:30
Eastern Europeans are notorious for being ice queens. You think it's true?
It's an unjustified myth.

Slavic women can be ice cold if they aren't interested but are in fact very emotional, passionate and loyal. Very. They are extreme people. They are also way more liberal than most brasilian women, who IMO are liberal in appearance, but quite conservative in the facts.

I've stretched dozens of regular brasileiras, and for pure debauchery none could hold a candle to a russian girl. Yet I admit that I've had exceptional sexual experiences with brasilian putas.

I personally really regret to have spent so much time travelling throughout Brasil during the 90s and not in EE.

Nevertheless since a few years I try to catch up lost time. Off to Moldova on Thursday.

:)

Thanos
12-25-07, 19:49
It's an unjustified myth.

Slavic women can be ice cold if they aren't interested but are in fact very emotional, passionate and loyal. Very. They are extreme people. They are also way more liberal than most brasilian women, who IMO are liberal in appearance, but quite conservative in the facts and less susceptible to follow their instincts.

I've stretched dozens of regular brasileiras, and for pure debauchery none could hold a candle to a russian girl (yet I admit that I've had exceptional sexual experiences with brasilian putas). EE dyevuskas want wild action. When they party they drink like Cossaks, forget all decency and quickly turn into horny exhibitionist s**ts. They are freaks in bed and suck like goddesses. They love sex rough and dirty, bathrooms-bangs, stairs quickies, ect.

I couldn't find better women elsewhere. But that's just me.

I personally really regret to have spent so much time travelling throughout Brasil during the 90s and not in EE, which was a true monger's heaven at this period.

Nevertheless since a few years I try to catch up lost time. Off to Moldova on Thursday.

:)Its all a matter of tastes. I'm pretty sure most guys who go to brazil go for the bundas and their preference for morenas or mulatas. And I'm sure you probably don't see many brazilian bundas and definitely very few morenas or mulatas in cold, cold eastern europe. Also there's that wind chill factor versus the beach to take into account. As for thin girls with beautiful faces all one has to do is take a trip south to floripa or curitiba for plenty of women who look like that. The major difference is that EE only offers a limited type of girl; pale, thin, with maybe a pretty face whereas brazil offers a miriad of different types of women.

George90
12-26-07, 00:41

I agree 100% on that point! I always shudder when guys brag about how physically hot a woman is. If she is also emotionally hit then that s fantastic. But if she is emotionally cool, then hooking up with her will be a disaster.

The worst is ugly women with attitude. The only way I can get away from then is by coming to Brazil!

George90
12-26-07, 00:45
I think it can have some importance that Recife lies in the state of Pernambuco. IMHO the state in Brazil with the highest percentage of ugly people.

Since I have been mostly to the northeast, with a trip to Belo thrown in, I will have to take your word for it. For my money´s worth, Fortaleza had the highest proportion of unappealing women have seen in the northeast of Brazil. I saw lots of short, squat, chunky to fat, women there. Very few tall slim ladies.

Curiously, there were many lookers on the beach and I discovered that many were from someplace else. I spoke with 2 who were from Belem ´on vacation´.

Rio Joe
12-26-07, 02:40
Slavic women can be ice cold if they aren't interested but are in fact very emotional, passionate and loyal
Prosal, for a newbie to Eastern Europe, where do you recommend for the first trip? Prague, Moscow, Moldova, etc.?

Prosal
12-26-07, 09:44
The major difference is that EE only offers a limited type of girl; pale, thin, with maybe a pretty face whereas brazil offers a miriad of different types of women.
Not all slavic girls are pasty pale and anorexic blondes.

What is great in EE is the variety. People in Former Soviet Union are a muti-ethnic mix ... one of the reasons the women are so beautiful is the mix.

Romania, Moldova, Bulgaria, southern Russia, Ukraine, ect carry an insane number of gorgeous curvey jet-black haired dyevuskas with latina looks a la Jessica Alba or Salma Hayek, Central Asia ex-soviet republics are the place to go for mixes with asian preponderance, Georgia, Armenia, Albania for swarthy slavics ladies with turk backgrounds, Balkan countries for mediterranean looks, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia for blondes, ect.

Mixes are vast in EE, and always beautiful.

Prosal
12-26-07, 10:46
where do you recommend for the first trip? Prague, Moscow, Moldova, etc.?
It depends what you look for. There are advantages for the EE newbie to mass prostitution nests like Prague or Budapest, but if you're the kind of guy who appreciate more provincial Brasil than Copacabana, then venturing beyond the confines of mass prostitution is surely what turns your crank.

In this case go to Moldova. Chisinau is dirty cheap, still under-visited, and has an amazingly good nightlife (better than Rio IMHO) with great bars and clubs filled to the walls with ridiculeously gorgeous women of all types.

Provincial romanian cities like Constanta, Iasi, Galati, Brasov, ect, are also good hunting grounds for the mongers who enjoy unspoiled destinations and have a fascination for tall and thin jet-black brunettes. Bucarest is not bad either.

I've heard very good things about Bulgaria also. Sofia, which has been reported by a friend as "overflowed with slender dark-haired stunning women", is at the top of my to-do list.

If you prefer blondushkas, then maybe Belarus is better.

The choice is huge.

Prosal
12-26-07, 12:55
Pernambuco IMHO the state in Brazil with the highest percentage of ugly people.
Agree. Recife is a dump fiiled with skanks. In Nordeste, Fortaleza comes as a close second.

I'd personally rank Goias n°1 brasilian state in term of percentage of hot women.

There is a higher density of attractive meninas in Goiania than any other brasilian city I can think of.

Exec Talent
12-28-07, 22:11
This ignorant American was trying to find out exactly what was Chuchu. This site helped and may be useful to others.

http://www.maria-brazil.org/