View Full Version : 2008 General Reports

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Admin
01-01-08, 02:00
Thread Starter.

Sausage Head
01-01-08, 02:01
Hey Guys,

My Brazil Visa expires in May 2008. Will I have any problems with entry into Brazil if I travel there in Late January or early February?

A buddy of mine has informed me That I need to have at least 6 months of time left in order to enter. Is this true? My Passport doesn't expire until 2010.

Thanks

Gatorman
01-01-08, 02:02
I travelled to Brasil in late January of 2007 with a visa that expired in early May of 2007. I did not have any problems at all.

RonnyRon
01-01-08, 02:03
You will not have any problem. As longer as you are traveling before your Visa expires, you are good. Thanks again for the photos and info.

RR

Delecti
01-01-08, 05:12
Hey Guys,

My Brazil Visa expires in May 2008. Will I have any problems with entry into Brazil if I travel there in Late January or early February?

A buddy of mine has informed me That I need to have at least 6 months of time left in order to enter. Is this true? My Passport doesn't expire until 2010. The 6 mos requirement is as to your passport. You passport must have at least 6 mos remaining to be issued a Visa. And many countries, not sure about Brazil, require that you have a passport good for at least 6 mos after your scheduled return flight.

I was in Brazil in December, with a visa that expires Jan 7, 2008. No problem at all.

Trippleecks
01-01-08, 11:29
Another point to consider is if your passport has only 6 months to say 3 or 4 years before it expires. There is a good chance you will not be issued a 5 year visa.. Best to try and get a new passport..

Ricker
01-01-08, 16:11
Hey guys,

I've been mongering for quite a while, mostly in northern South America and all Central America.

Never been to Brazil but that's about to change. :)

My question is: I speak very good spanish, I imagine I'll pick up portuguese as I go. Do most most chicas understand spanish though, at least somewhat?
Is the language similar?

Thanx! Happy New Year

Hitmanm3
01-01-08, 16:30
Hey guys,

I've been mongering for quite a while, mostly in northern South America and all Central America.

My question is: I speak very good spanish, I imagine I'll pick up portuguese as I go. Do most most chicas understand spanish though, at least somewhat?
Is the language similar?

Thanx! Happy New YearI would say it does help to speake spanish to understand some of their words and some what of what they say. To put it to you this way 45% of portugese sounds spanish. Take a course or buy the cd by pimsleur wich help me alot. I speake spanish but their is a difference in the way you speake both languages.

Mr Enternational
01-01-08, 17:11
Hey guys,
Is the language similar?
Thanx! Happy New Year

Yep to both questions. But working the other way around I have a friend who went to the DR a few weeks ago. He only spoke Portuguese and English. He said by the second day somehow he was able to flow with Spanish. By that same token my first time in Colombia I was able to understand Spanish because I already knew Portuguese. A big difference is many of the words will be spelled the same but may have different pronunciations. But seeing that they are both Latin based you should not have a big problem, especially with reading, because they generally have the same roots.

Ricker
01-01-08, 18:29
Yep to both questions. But working the other way around I have a friend who went to the DR a few weeks ago. He only spoke Portuguese and English. He said by the second day somehow he was able to flow with Spanish. By that same token my first time in Colombia I was able to understand Spanish because I already knew Portuguese. A big difference is many of the words will be spelled the same but may have different pronunciations. But seeing that they are both Latin based you should not have a big problem, especially with reading, because they generally have the same roots.

Muchas gracias amigo!

or ... should I say muito obrigado!

I'm learning already :)

Jesuscola
01-01-08, 18:51
Hey guys,

Is the language similar?

Thanx! Happy New Year

Speaking Portuguese, but not Spanish, I find I am able to understand Spanish speakers, and they, me, at about a 50/50 ratio. I navigated Buenos Aires fairly well with just Portuguese.

OTOH, a friend of mine who speaks very good Spanish visited Rio and said that people seemed to understand him fairly well, but he couldn't understand them very well at all.

Just Spanish is not ideal, but you should get by.

Illini333
01-02-08, 09:29
Hi guys. I have been getting more interested in Brazil as time goes by. When I travel I have usually stayed in the Spanish Speaking countries, not counting a trip to the Philippines. But Brazil just fascinates me. Maybe they myths that do but I want to know. Here are some questions I want to know if are true.

Are most Brazilian women bi-sexual? It seems, from stories I have heard from friends who have visited, that most like girls and have no problem with eating a girl out and helping there boyfriend pick up another girl.

Are most Brazilian women very sexual and sex is not a bad thing like it is in some Latin American countries.?

non-pro Brazilian women will have sex with a stranger. Its not a big deal?

If you marry a brazilian girl and bring her back to the States or U.K., she will grow restless and not be able to adopt to the cold weather and the fact that there are no beaches like Rio?

AIDs is an issue in the country because Brazilian men have sex with other Brazilian men and then have sex with girls?

Obviously there is a lot of generalization in these questions. Brazil is a big country. Are girls more liberal and non religious in Rio and ect then they are in inland?

If I go to Brazil would it be hard to meet a regular girl? Is there so many pros that it is hard to find a non-pro?-I experienced this in the Philippines.

What are prices for 24 hours with a pro girl? Thanks guys I appreciate all the help I can get.

Trippleecks
01-02-08, 11:40
Illini333..... read the forums and you will find the answers to all your questions there........

Mr Enternational
01-02-08, 16:33
I have been cheated lot of money by these abortions in Brasil, two times. I have to write reports of these sometimes for others to be not as stupid as me.

Just word of warning: don't do sex with the girls without condoms. You can get fatal sickness of course, but more probable risk is following: You are back on your own country, girl contacts you and says she is pregnant

No problem dude. This ex-pro who is a good friend of mine now tried to pull that on me when we first met. She told me that she needed $x to go to the doctor because she was pregnant with my baby. I pretended to be very excited and asked her when the appointment was because I would like to return to Rio so that we could go to the doctor together. She never mentioned it again.

Illini333
01-02-08, 19:34
Im sure I will but this is a huge forum. The biggest one on the site. I thought maybe someone could explain it if they had the time.

Illini333..... read the forums and you will find the answers to all your questions there........

Java Man
01-02-08, 20:14
Hi guys. I have been getting more interested in Brazil as time goes by. When I travel I have usually stayed in the Spanish Speaking countries, not counting a trip to the Philippines. But Brazil just fascinates me. Maybe they myths that do but I want to know. Here are some questions I want to know if are true.

Are most Brazilian women bi-sexual? It seems, from stories I have heard from friends who have visited, that most like girls and have no problem with eating a girl out and helping there boyfriend pick up another girl.

Are most Brazilian women very sexual and sex is not a bad thing like it is in some Latin American countries.?

non-pro Brazilian women will have sex with a stranger. Its not a big deal?

If you marry a brazilian girl and bring her back to the States or U.K., she will grow restless and not be able to adopt to the cold weather and the fact that there are no beaches like Rio?

AIDs is an issue in the country because Brazilian men have sex with other Brazilian men and then have sex with girls?

Obviously there is a lot of generalization in these questions. Brazil is a big country. Are girls more liberal and non religious in Rio and ect then they are in inland?

If I go to Brazil would it be hard to meet a regular girl? Is there so many pros that it is hard to find a non-pro?-I experienced this in the Philippines.

What are prices for 24 hours with a pro girl? Thanks guys I appreciate all the help I can get.

I got a lil time

1. False. Many, not most.
2. True.
3. False. Maybe, after several dates. Chances improve if you speak Portuguese fluently.
4. True.
5. Huh?! Where did you hear that? I would say False.
6. I don't know. I'd guess True.
7. False. Easy if you speak fluent Portuguese.
8. False. Non-pros are everywhere. Fluent Portuguese required.
9. Negotiate prices, Portuguese required. Wild guess R50/hr....R1200...hmmm....that might be to high.

Nodd_N is right, invest some time and RTFF. Also read Bubba's guide. There's also a search function to make it easier.

David 35
01-02-08, 22:19
Hi guys

After some efforts and soul searching I decided to hit Rio. I will be three between 18th jan and 26th for a week. This is my first time and read the lot of posts and bubba boys guide as well

Just got the visa and booked the tickets through AA.

Any advise for a newbie is greatly appreciated

Speak little tp none portugues but I am in a scouting mission as well

Wanted to settle down in latin american country away from my horrible EX.

Muito obrigad

El Austriaco
01-02-08, 22:34
Maybe they myths that do but I want to know. Here are some questions I want to know if are true.
Since I got some time, I will address some of the common myths and misconceptions about Brazil that are out there right from the get-go. IMHO, the myth that ALL Brazilian women are easy is perpetuated by guys who go to Rio for the first time, speak no Portuguese, stay in Copacabana, have tons of sexual experiences, and then go home to tell everyone how easy it is to score with the girls there. Did they invent their stories? Not necessarily. They just have a seriously skewed perception of Brazil as a whole and Rio in particular and leave out some crucial details.

For example, that the sex that they had was not free. In other words, they scored with hookers (called garotas de programa, short: GDPs, in Brazil).

As a foreigner who goes to Rio for the first time and doesn't speak any Portuguese, chances are you will stay and hang out in Copacabana. Simply put, Copacabana is monger central for foreigners in Rio. That you can meet tons of hookers in sidewalk cafes (Balcony, Meia Pataca), on the beach (hooker beach), in clubs (Help, Barbarella, etc. etc.), and pretty much anywhere else in Copacabana is somehow interpreted by these guys as meaning that these girls are not really hookers. Well, they are. The fact that you can meet hookers in settings in Rio in which you would not meet hookers in your homecountry doesn't make them normal girls. This is something very important to keep in mind: there are hookers (GDPs), and there are non-pros.

Most myths about Brazilian women are perpetuated by guys who fail to make that crucial distinction. That being said, I will try to answer your questions individually.

I have never seen any statistics showing that Brazil has a higher percentage of bisexual women than anywhere else, and I don't see a reason why it should be that way. As to your friends stories, again: they were with hookers. From personal experience, let me tell you that Brazilian non-pros are very possessive and jealous of their BFs, and it's highly unlikely they would help their boyfriend pick up another girl (it's more likely they will kill you than do that, believe me!). Unless they are hookers, of course, because that's what you pay them to do.

From the many Brazilian and especially carioca GDPs I have met, an unusually high number was either actually bisexual or at least willing to engage in sex with women, too, yes. Whether that willingness was an expression of an actual sexual preference or a tribute to their business acumen, I am utterly unable to say. Does it matter?

Are most Brazilian women very sexual and sex is not a bad thing like it is in some Latin American countries?
Yes, most people agree that, in general, Brazilian women are very sexy, sensual, and attractive, both in looks and in terms of attitude. Also, IMHO, they are not necessarily as hung up about catholicism as in other Latin-American countries (with Afro-Brazilian cults and Protestantism playing a major role, too), and they are fairly non-dogmatic about their religions and don't easily mix religion and sex. However, this does NOT mean that they are necessarily promiscous.

For hookers, of course, sex is nothing bad, religious beliefs or not. As a matter of fact, it's a great thing: it's their job.

I will mention another thing that comes to mind right now: yes, Brazilian women are very open to talking to men they don't know and often take the initiative, being very flirtateous in the process. As someone who has been living in Mexico for years, for example, this is strikingly different from my experience here. Many foreigners that are not experienced with things Brazilian take this as an indication that they are easy prey and sexually avaible. Wrong, wrong, wrong... in many cases, it is nothing but amusing, harmless, but ultimately non-committal flirtation. Just because Brazilian women in general may approach you much more directly and sensually than a Western women doesn't mean that they are all sex-crazed maniacs. And as much as guys would like that myth to be true, they are not creatures from another planet.

Non-pro Brazilian women will have sex with a stranger. Its not a big deal?
This is an absolutely ridiculous myth. Non-pro Brazilian women will consider having sex with you as long as they can effectively communicate with you (meaning that Portuguese is essential), you are fun to hang out with, have a great personality, a good sense of humor, self-confidence, and they like you and are sexually attracted to you. Pretty much like anywhere else.

The only Brazilian women that will have sex with a stranger are women that are interested in a stranger who pays for it. In other words, hookers.

I guess bringing her back to Miami beach in Florida should be a bit easier than, say, Ann Harbor, Michigan. Anyhow, this question is a generalization so gross that it's almost impossible to answer it, leaving out so many essential factors.

But let me tell you this: marrying a Brazilian hooker and bringing her back to your home country is just gonna be as complicated and troublesome as marrying a hooker from anywhere. And then some, for obvious reasons (linguistic differences, cultural differences, age differences, socioeconomic differences, the list goes on and on).

No idea where that statement comes from, but it seems ludicrous to me. Two points for you to remember: 1) based on the most recent statistics I am aware of, the overall AIDS rate in Brazil is only marginally higher than that in the US and many Western countries, and 2) regardless, you should use a condom anywhere you go and anywho you do, especially when doing hookers, so this is really a moot point.

Brazil is a big country. Are girls more liberal and non religious in Rio and ect then they are in inland?
Very difficult to say, but just like anywhere else, big-city people tend to be a tad more liberal than country folks.

The girls that are really really liberal in Rio are the hookers.

If you go to Rio for the first time, you don't speak any Portuguese, you hang out in Copacabana, you are not going to meet any regular girls. The only girls you will meet (actually, the girls will find you before you can look for them) will be 100% hardcore GDPs. Trust me on this.

I have never been to the PI, but from what I have read and based on what you are saying (that you had a hard time meeting regular girls), I seems to me that you just went to the regular sex tourist places there, and guess what? You only met P4P service providers. You do the same thing in Rio, you are going to have the same experience.

Just recently, a new thread was started here on ISG (Non-Pro Garotas), and just a few weeks ago, we had quite an extensive discussion on the Rio de Janeiro Board on how to meet regular girls. My two most important recommendations: 1) speak Portuguese, 2) get away from the usual tourist haunts, especially Copacabana. Seriously, if you don't speak Portuguese, it will be hard to get away from Copacabana, and in that case, forget about meeting regular girls. Just forget about it. Stick to the pros, enjoy them for what it's worth, learn about Brazil and pick up a bit of Portuguese, and somewhere down the road, you will be ready to identify and hit on non-pros. But certainly not on the first trip.

What are prices for 24 hours with a pro girl?
As others have mentioned, the Bubba Guide here on ISG is a great way to get general info on the Rio P4P scene and pricing of the different options available to you. Personally, let me add this: with pros, try them out for ST first (one or two hours), to weed out the non-performers. Once you have found a good girl, then try her for TLN. If you really really like her and want to spend more time with her, then negotiate a price for her for 24 hours or more time. Whatever rate you negotiate, however, keep in mind that that rate could easily double when you factor in your additional expenses for feeding her, taking her on side trips, going shopping with her, buying presents, and so on and so forth. Believe me, these girls have a knack for sucking money out of you, so be careful.

Hope this helps,

EA

Edward M
01-03-08, 02:20
Are most Brazilian women bi-sexual? It seems, from stories I have heard from friends who have visited, that most like girls and have no problem with eating a girl out and helping there boyfriend pick up another girl.I think that this is actually easier to accomplish with American women. It is quite trendy even among non-bisexual girls. Of course many GDP's will do it whether they are truly into or not but many have told me that they prefer not to.

Thanos
01-03-08, 04:58
El Austriaco: "That you can meet tons of hookers in sidewalk cafes (Balcony, Meia Pataca), on the beach (hooker beach), in clubs (Help, Barbarella, etc. Etc.), and pretty much anywhere else in Copacabana is somehow interpreted by these guys as meaning that these girls are not really hookers. Well, they are. The fact that you can meet hookers in settings in Rio in which you would not meet hookers in your homecountry doesn't make them normal girls. This is something very important to keep in mind: there are hookers (GDPs), and there are non-pros".

Great point. One of the scenerios that really catches guys off guard. When most of us think of hookers we think of; "ladies of the night". Not so in Rio. Here you'll see girls during the day in the markets and on the streets pushing baby carriages, walking with their mothers, playing on the beach, and in all kinds of "normal" scenerios. Alot of guys tend to think; " hey these are just normal girls who prostitute on the side". Don't believe the hype. These girls are 100% hookers who just happen to do normal activities in public.

Illini333
01-03-08, 08:22
Thanks El Austriaco for the break down. It helped me out a lot. I am experienced in the game enough to know what a hooker is but I do not think my friends do. I just hear stories from these people saying how easy it is. They tell me they were not hookers that they had normal jobs but Im sure they got seduced. Your right about the Philippines but I like big cities and in Manila there are hookers everywhere. In the regular clubs in the club districts.

Anyway, thanks again for your help. I know Spanish but I going to study Portuguese before I go so I can at least communicate somewhat with these girls.

Trippleecks
01-03-08, 12:19
Newbie mistake.. Not every girl you see in Rio is a hooker. I can't tell you how many times I talk to guys that think they can walk up to any girl on the street in Rio and hit on them. NOT TRUE! There is a story circulating in Rio about few Italian guys that got arrested for doing just that, to pregnant girl in a shop. They groped her then offered her money. When the cops arrived they tried to bribe them and were in even more trouble..

El Austriaco
01-03-08, 18:23
Newbie mistake.. Not every girl you see in Rio is a hooker. I can't tell you how many times I talk to guys that think they can walk up to any girl on the street in Rio and hit on them. NOT TRUE! There is a story circulating in Rio about few Italian guys that got arrested for doing just that, to pregnant girl in a shop. They groped her then offered her money. When the cops arrived they tried to bribe them and were in even more trouble..
A story that is actually true, as reported in Brazilian media. I wrote about it some two weeks ago in the Rio de Janeiro section of the board:

http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/showpost.php?p=684201&postcount=5013

EA

American Warrior
01-03-08, 21:23
Has anyone made a list of girls that appear in porn videos, example either Mike in Brazil or Gang Bang and figure if they work in the termas or which escort agencies

Off Road
01-03-08, 23:31
Hey guys,

Is the language similar?

Thanx! Happy New YearI think you will find that the brazilians will understand you, but you will not understand them, unless you do some very basic training on the pronunciation. Simple example is Dia.. pronounced geeah in portuguese.
However, without anything you will be a ton better off from non-spanish speakers.

Sui Generis
01-04-08, 06:17
Has anyone made a list of girls that appear in porn videos, example either Mike in Brazil or Gang Bang and figure if they work in the termas or which escort agencies

I don't know for the girls in Rio but in São Paulo there are several garotas de programa that are also porn stars.

I think in particular of Mônica Mattos, Natalia Lemos, Pamela Butt and Patricia Kimberly, among others.

Thanos
01-05-08, 05:44
I don't know for the girls in Rio but in São Paulo there are several garotas de programa that are also porn stars.

I think in particular of Mônica Mattos, Natalia Lemos, Pamela Butt and Patricia Kimberly, among others.Many of the help and termas girls have done pornos. Just check out the porno section of any dvd rental store in copa and I'm sure you'll see girls you recognize. Look in the nacional section. As Panteras, Sexxy, and Brasilerinhas are three major brazilian companies who use most of the regulars around Copa.

Que Rico
01-05-08, 07:03
David,

I'm new to Rio will be in town till the 19th send me a PM if you can. If you didn't pay well then. Have a good time.

Hi guys

After some efforts and soul searching I decided to hit Rio. I will be three between 18th jan and 26th for a week. This is my first time and read the lot of posts and bubba boys guide as well

Just got the visa and booked the tickets through AA.

Any advise for a newbie is greatly appreciated

Speak little tp none portugues but I am in a scouting mission as well

Wanted to settle down in latin american country away from my horrible EX.

Muito obrigad

Sprite13
01-06-08, 08:27
Has anyone else has noticed the steep increase in airfare within Brasil? In 2005, I was able to get a GRU-GIG flight for 69 reais plus tax and in April, I got it for 99 Reais. Nowadays, it is going for around 169. Prices seem to have more than doubled in a 2 year span. And they say that inflation is controlled at a low 1 figure per year in Brasil hey?

Mr Enternational
01-07-08, 05:30
Has anyone else has noticed the steep increase in airfare within Brasil? In 2005, I was able to get a GRU-GIG flight for 69 reais plus tax and in April, I got it for 99 Reais. Nowadays, it is going for around 169. Prices seem to have more than doubled in a 2 year span. And they say that inflation is controlled at a low 1 figure per year in Brasil hey?

Most definitely. I think last March I paid R$125 for that CGH-SDU on Gol. I just looked on the site at arbitrary dates this month and next and all I see is R$255.

El Greco
01-07-08, 05:56

Mainly because of Vaig's collapse. It used to be the biggest south american airline with full coverage of Brasil.

It tries very hard to pick up with very few destinations now.

Belldude2
01-07-08, 06:51
Ok guys a little help here. I have been reading the brazil thread, but I have never been. I am a TJ and Colombia VET. Been to TJ maybe 100+ times and have been to Cart, Baranquilla, and Bogota solo, multiple times with no problems yet. How is the safety for Foreigners in Rio or Sao Paulo? Any info is appreciated. Should I hook up with vets, or have a guide? I speak Colomb ian Spanish 100%. But do I need to brush up on some Portugese? If I speak spanish only will they still think I am American? What do you guys think?
Thanks guys

Jan 156
01-07-08, 08:03
Ok guys a little help here. I have been reading the brazil thread, but I have never been. I am a TJ and Colombia VET. Been to TJ maybe 100+ times and have been to Cart, Baranquilla, and Bogota solo, multiple times with no problems yet. How is the safety for Foreigners in Rio or Sao Paulo? Any info is appreciated. Should I hook up with vets, or have a guide? I speak Colomb ian Spanish 100%. But do I need to brush up on some Portugese? If I speak spanish only will they still think I am American? What do you guys think?
Thanks guys

Sounds like you know your way round places that are charming and dangerous for the unwary so I personally doubt you'll have too much problem. But just as the first time you went to colombia, remember this is new. The rules are different, the tricks for conning you are different, and it will take you a few days to get the hang of it at least.

If you were coming in cold, the advice would be to expect to be robbed and so on, but you probably know how to dress down, only carry what you need, and avoid drawing attention to yourself. Bottom line, if you get mugged, don't resist - there's usually no violence unless you resist. If you resist you may get a bullet. So being mugged is not too bad. You probably won't get robbed, but expecting it minimises the hassle if you do IMO. And if your instinct says someone is dodgy, avoid them, even in crowds and broad daylight (esp in Copacabana). Go into a shop, walk the other way, get off the bus a stop later, whatever you need to do. But, like other countries, it takes a little while to work out who is dodgy in this particular eden.

Then you have to avoid getting overcharged. So maybe do some fixed price stuff first to get the feel of things. Bargaining is, I find, different in every country, and in RJ it is too. I don't know so much about SP but Cariocas (RJ) all believe (and act) as if they are living in a supercharged reality. It calms down a bit once you leave RJ (but would you want to?? It is only maybe the most amazing place on earth . . . )

If you're American, my guess is they will probably assume you are American anyway, whatever brand of Spanish or Portuguese you are speaking. Portuguese helps, spanish is just slightly more accessible in times of need than English or say Japanese. Stand out from other Americans by being quietly spoken and copying Brasilian guys' body language. Wear local rags unless you are going to a posh event. Your selling point is that Americans can't afford Brasil anymore lol.

El Austriaco
01-08-08, 00:05
Thanks guys
As someone who has been to Cartagena, Barranquilla, and Bogotá, too, I think that Cristopherd's assessment below is spot on. Just behave exactly as you would do in Colombia, and chances are you should be perfectly fine in Rio de Janeiro. Also, Bubba's report has an extensive section on safety (including a very long post on crime and safety by myself: http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/showpost.php?p=565321&postcount=35), and the Reports of Distinction thread contains another very good and recent safety primer by Sandmann0011 (http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/showpost.php?p=624517&postcount=721). I believe that you will recognize many of the safety caveats, as they apply to Colombia just as much as they apply to Rio de Janeiro and Brazil.

Personally, I believe that speaking fluent Spanish is marginally better than just speaking English in Brazil since, in case you are a bind, you might just want to pronounce the Spanish term with a Brazilian accent and just hope that it will sound somewhat like the Portuguese equivalent. Half the time it works, half the time it doesn't, and you might actually end up saying something very different and/or hilarious (Spanish and Portuguese only look very familiar on the surface, with tons of small little differences; they don't sound anything alike). Still, it's better than nothing and worth a shot. Needless to say, brushing up on Portuguese would be a big plus.

As to whether speaking Spanish will brand you as anything else but American, it really depends on how you look, I guess. You look like what most Brazilians imagine most Americans to look like (tall, white, blue eyes), you will be labeled as a gringo regardless. You look Latino, speaking Spanish might actually lead people to assume you are from one of the other Spanish-speaking countries in Latin America. If you look Asian... well, who knows. I do speak fluent Portuguese, but I look like the typical Germanic type that I am, and it's always interesting to me to see people guessing where I am from. In 2006, when I was living with my GF in the interior of the State of Rio, everybody called me "gaúcho"... meaning from the Southern part of Brazil (just like "Ronaldinho Gaúcho"), the area with the heaviest German influence in Brazil. In 2002, the nieces and nephews of a GF I had in Salvador da Bahia were convinced I was "Paulista", i.e. from the State of Sao Paulo (simply because they assumed that people in SP are generally lighter than those in Bahia). I also remember several girls that I have met to come up to me, wanting to know whether I was Argentine or possibly Paraguayan (!). Well, I can't blame them... Argentines certainly are pretty fair-skinned, and Paraguay also had quite an influx of German-speaking people (don't ask why). But then again, I am used to it: where I live in Mexico, people automatically assume I am from the US (although they call me "güero" or "güerito", i.e. white boy). Go figure :)

And finally: you definitely don't need a (paid) guide in Rio to have fun. Read the Bubba Report, and you will have more than enough info to digest. As to veteran mongers down there, hang out a bit at MP (Meia Pataca) or Terraco Atlantico (just outside of Help) or Help itself in Copacabana, and I am sure you will meet some of them who are nice enough to show you the ropes, if you feel you need the help or up-to-date, first-hand intelligence.

Hope this helps, and have fun in Rio!

EA

Cho 637
01-08-08, 10:12
Most definitely. I think last March I paid R$125 for that CGH-SDU on Gol. I just looked on the site at arbitrary dates this month and next and all I see is R$255.

I think its the time of year. You just missed a sale, which you could have gotten R129 one way and R50 the other way. Wait awhile, it will come back around.

Belldude2
01-08-08, 10:14
EA and ChristopherD, Thank you, I feel a million% times better about going for the first tiime. I am 6' tall and 240lbs, Native American and a little German with long black hair and dark skin. In Mexico they call me "El Indio". So, perhaps they might treat me better than most gringos? Thanks again for the great feedback and I will do extensive reading before I go. Take care guys.
Bell

PS I will post info and pics after

Hulk
01-08-08, 20:45
I recently had to extend my Brazilian visa while in Rio. The following post from El Austriaco was extremely helpful:

http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/showthread.php?p=393603

I just wanted to post an update to save people some time:

- In Rio, the place to do this is no longer downtown. It's at the Galeao airport, Terminal 1, 3rd floor. There is a big Policia Federal office there dedicated to immigration issues.

- The price to extend went up to R$67

- You don't have to go there first to get the instructions to pay. Follow El Austriaco's excellent instructions on how to print the form to pay at any bank and you can walk in with this payment slip in hand to save you some time. If you must print the form and pay at Galeao there is an internet cafe and 2 or 3 banks where you can pay at the other end of the same floor where the Policia Federal is located.

Euro100
01-09-08, 03:47
Thanks guys

Belldude2,

If you are a TJ veteran, you will do OK. What keeps you safe and alive in the alley behind Adelita will also serve you real well in Rio. Chris has given you most of the rules for conduct, but as you well know those are also the rules for behavior in the Zona Rosa in TJ.

Americano: first of all, the Brazilians are not hostile towards the gringos form the US. Second, if you stick to Espanol, they will not think that you are from the US. But again, why hide it?

Do you need a guide, you ask? The only guide you will need in Rio is Bubba's Guide. In case you don't know, this is a separate thread in this forum. Or just click here (http://internationalsexguide.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=65086). Print this puppy out, read it, commit it to memory, and you will be golden.

euro

Belldude2
01-12-08, 06:42
Euro100, thanks for the feedback. Of course we only hear the terrible stuff in the news about Rio. Of course all we hear about TJ is about the drug gangs and missing people. Its just nice getting some info from guys that spend time in brazil. I feel 100% better about going. I cant wait!!!. I will post reports and pics when I return

Lorenzo
01-13-08, 02:11
Brazilophiles might enjoy this. Click on this link: http://www.tatuagemdaboa.com.br/. Type in your name on the first line, then type in the name of somebody you don't like on the second line. Skip the next two lines and click on "visualizar," then see what happens. You can e-mail this to the other person if you want.

Looking For Eden
01-13-08, 03:05
Brazilophiles might enjoy this. Click on this link: http://www.tatuagemdaboa.com.br/. Type in your name on the first line, then type in the name of somebody you don't like on the second line. Skip the next two lines and click on "visualizar," then see what happens. You can e-mail this to the other person if you want.Thanks Lorenzo. Had a good laugh off of that.

Que Rico
01-15-08, 02:06
Hi,

I was at shenanigans watching the playoffs this weekend, had a girl with me but noticed many many local girls and some with the "predatory look"

Word has it that some are GDP's and some are just gringo hunters. Whats the game with this place and if they are GDP what are they usually asking for? I'm pretty close for takeout thats for sure.

Thanks,

QR

Belldude2
01-16-08, 09:50
Belldude2,

Americano: first of all, the Brazilians are not hostile towards the gringos form the US. Second, if you stick to Espanol, they will not think that you are from the US. But again, why hide it?

euro

Euro100, well to be honest, the only reason that I was thinking of speaking spanish only was to NOT broadcast "I am American". Despite the fact that Brazilians may not be hostile towards gringos, There are some that may target them. When I am in Colombia I speak spanish only and dress like colombians. I get better prices everywhere and I do not worry about being gouged like most Americans. I also dont worry about being targeted. Thats all. I think that perhaps I would be treated better than most Americans if they thought I was Colombian. I may as well work it, right?

Prosal
01-16-08, 10:16
Thanks Lorenzo. Had a good laugh off of that.
Girl is Juliana Paes.

She's a well-known model and telenovela actress. Tatuagem link comes from Antarctica "Sou da Boa" commercial campaign.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voz5Q-Gl37w

Thanos
01-16-08, 18:05
Hi,

I was at shenanigans watching the playoffs this weekend, had a girl with me but noticed many many local girls and some with the "predatory look"

Word has it that some are GDP's and some are just gringo hunters. Whats the game with this place and if they are GDP what are they usually asking for? I'm pretty close for takeout thats for sure.

Thanks,

QRSome are regular. Some are gdp just being normal for a bit. Unless you know for sure that a girl is a gdp it might not be worth the risk approaching her in that manner. Watched the superbowl there a few years ago and met a few girls who came across as regular. Two weeks later when Carnaval rolled around they were all working in Help. Like you said some are just normal girls out to have a good time and socialize with gringoes. Shenanigans started out as a language exchange meeting place.

Prosal
01-16-08, 19:29
Some are regular, just normal girls out to have a good time and socialize with gringoes.
There's no normal girls in Shenanigans, only piranhas (and possibly some GdPs).

Any normal menina in Zona Sul would not be seen dead in this place. It's gringo-chasers Central.

JohnnyBraz
01-17-08, 06:22
Too many people are paying far too much 4 copa girls, there is no need for anyone to pay more than 200 reals for a whole night with a gorgeous woman, or 100 reals a night with an average one. Remember we are the people who control the market, if every monger in help said " tonight I'm only paying 100 reals 4 tln " these women would accept it by 3am. They are chancers and hustlers, but also women who financially live day to day. So lets all do our bit and lower the market.

American Warrior
01-17-08, 16:54
Too many people are paying far too much 4 copa girls, there is no need for anyone to pay more than 200 reals for a whole night with a gorgeous woman, or 100 reals a night with an average one. Remember we are the people who control the market, if every monger in help said " tonight I'm only paying 100 reals 4 tln " these women would accept it by 3am. They are chancers and hustlers, but also women who financially live day to day. So lets all do our bit and lower the market.

Johnny,
Look at my earlier post and see the responses. I wanted to start that pussy revolution but mongers will be mongers. I need more like minded people but than you would be fillling up VM (lol).

Hitmanm3
01-17-08, 17:17
Johnny,

Look at my earlier post and see the responses. I wanted to start that pussy revolution but mongers will be mongers. I need more like minded people but than you would be fillling up VM (lol).Remember one thing we are competeing against the european market too. They pay 300r and we have to deal with that type of resistance too. But iam with you 200r for a nice one and 100r for a regular spinner sounds good.

Thanos
01-17-08, 20:56
Johnny,

Look at my earlier post and see the responses. I wanted to start that pussy revolution but mongers will be mongers. I need more like minded people but than you would be fillling up VM (lol).Sorry fellas but that barn door is open and the horse has long since run away. Copa is not wal-mart and the girls are never going to roll back their prices because too many guys are willing to pay 300,400,500R for sex. It should be cheaper and it used to be but too many guys, too much exposure to big money in europe, and just too many options for the girls to make money via the internet and other sources have made Copa a sellers market. In the movies the japanese created godzilla by dumping a bunch of radioactive waste in the water. In Copa mongers have created the super expensive, quasi American / Brazilian gdp by dumping too many dollars and euros into the girls and filling their heads with too much capitalism. Just like with godzilla; they can't be stopped.

Perkele
01-18-08, 10:42
Remember one thing we are competeing against the european market too. They pay 300r and we have to deal with that type of resistance too. But iam with you 200r for a nice one and 100r for a regular spinner sounds good.

Funny how I see this quite opposite. To me its always been an american who pays way too much. I remember when dollar was 3:1, there were lots of americans who were just blowing their reais away. This was just 5 years ago. Now that dollar has no value, there are not that many americans doing that anymore. Let´s face it, who has the money he just behaves as if he were the king of the world.

Madd Love
01-18-08, 13:37
Funny how I see this quite opposite. To me its always been an american who pays way too much. I remember when dollar was 3:1, there were lots of americans who were just blowing their reais away. This was just 5 years ago. Now that dollar has no value, there are not that many americans doing that anymore. Let´s face it, who has the money he just behaves as if he were the king of the world.You have to remember the Pound and Euro is falling against the Real. So it is a lot lower than it used to be. So I don't think we should be competing on who can spend the most money on these girls, it doesn't mke sense.

Cho 637
01-19-08, 19:30
Has anyone been able to purchase Brazilian beer (Skol, or Antarctica) outside of Brazil? Would really like to have a cold Antarctica while looking through my photos, reading your reports, and thinking about my next sojourn to BundaLand! :)

Hitmanm3
01-19-08, 21:10
Funny how I see this quite opposite. To me its always been an american who pays way too much. I remember when dollar was 3:1, there were lots of americans who were just blowing their reais away. This was just 5 years ago. Now that dollar has no value, there are not that many americans doing that anymore. Let´s face it, who has the money he just behaves as if he were the king of the world.We are sometimes our worst enemy. Just do not pay more than 200r and to execute this just let them know that.

JohnnyBraz
01-20-08, 00:02
We are sometimes our worst enemy. Just do not pay more than 200r and to execute this just let them know that.Totally agree. 200r is the very max anyone should pay, and at that she must be gorgeous, perfect body, and also for the whole night.

Smokers Rule
01-20-08, 04:18
Gentlemen,

I need your expertise on a somewhat strange issue. I enjoy women who will smoke cigars for me during our time together. I have been able to find this readily in some Latin American countries, whereas it is nearly impossible in others.

I will be visiting Rio for the first time in about a month. How do my chances look? Do many women smoke in Brazil? Ever see one smoking a cigar? :)

I know it's weird, but it's what I like.

All the best!

-SR

Thanos
01-20-08, 06:37
Gentlemen,

I need your expertise on a somewhat strange issue. I enjoy women who will smoke cigars for me during our time together. I have been able to find this readily in some Latin American countries, whereas it is nearly impossible in others.

I will be visiting Rio for the first time in about a month. How do my chances look? Do many women smoke in Brazil? Ever see one smoking a cigar? :)

I know it's weird, but it's what I like.

All the best!

-SRYou'll be very happy then because almost all of the GDPs smoke and I'm sure they'll smoke cigars for you.

Java Man
01-20-08, 17:45
"The Office" sports bar is for sale.

Freehold Price.. US$2,000,000
Leasehold Price.. US$1,500,000 (Rent appr.US$5,000 per month.

http://roqueproperties.com/_wsn/page4.html

That begs a question: If the Office is going for $2 million, whats Help worth?

Exec Talent
01-20-08, 18:40

That begs a question: If the Office is going for $2 million, whats Help worth?

From experience I can tell you that businesses in Rio ask for a ridiculous purchase price. What actually is paid is a totally different story. If you plan to purchase a business or even rent a location in Rio, practice your Ed McMahon laugh.

Rio Bob
01-21-08, 19:18
Has anyone been able to purchase Brazilian beer (Skol, or Antarctica) outside of Brazil? Would really like to have a cold Antarctica while looking through my photos, reading your reports, and thinking about my next sojourn to BundaLand! :)

Brahma is available in the US.

Rio Lover #2
01-22-08, 00:50

I bought Skol and Brahma on more than one occasion in Belgium, Germany, Italy and The Netherlands

Thanos
01-22-08, 01:41
Has anyone been able to purchase Brazilian beer (Skol, or Antarctica) outside of Brazil? Would really like to have a cold Antarctica while looking through my photos, reading your reports, and thinking about my next sojourn to BundaLand! :)Get all of your brazilian products at Brazilianshop.com

Bravo
01-22-08, 21:19
FYI
Just so you are informed. Nodd_N is actually Kenn from
Ez-Riorentals.com. He is not the happiest camper I have ever met.
It is time someone tells the truth

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nodd_N is Kenn from Ez-RioRentals.com a bitter enemy of Bobby.
He also posts as Ranen1 on another board.

This is not speculation. I know for sure. I am not at liberty to
disclose this to the masses but someone should.
Re: It is time someone tells the truth

Ahhh, that explains all the negativity. That whole "he owes alot
of people money" bullshit made absolutely no sense. How would a
security guard in the jewelery store know what Bobby was doing or
his financial issues?

FYI

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exec Talent
Nodd_N is Kenn from Ez-RioRentals.com a bitter enemy of Bobby.
He also posts as Ranen1 on another board.

This is not speculation. I know for sure. I am not at liberty to
disclose this to the masses but someone should.

The saga continues

Now the "Authority" goes to extensive means to defend his wrong
information. What happens if you lose the copy of your entry card.
Guess what? No big deal. I have been in and out of Brazil some 30
times. I try to keep my entry card, but sometimes it gets misplaced. Again, no big deal.

Ah, Ha!

These self-appointed experts aren't really too expert after all,
are they? A lot of these guys have such egos and needs to be
noticed, that they make it up as they go along. Thanks for calling
one of them on his BS.

Just a little PM behind the scene info that people should know.

Kid Cisco
01-23-08, 01:36
It makes sense know.

Kid Cisco

Cho 637
01-23-08, 04:40
Get all of your brazilian products at Brazilianshop.com

Thanks, but no cervaja.

Mr Enternational
01-23-08, 10:31
I seem to have somehow lost MS Paint from my computer. Can any of you computer geniuses tell me what happened or how I can get it back? Thanks.

Off Road
01-23-08, 14:57
I seem to have somehow lost MS Paint from my computer. Can any of you computer geniuses tell me what happened or how I can get it back? Thanks.
create a shortcut to C:\windows\system32\mspaint.exe

Ardgneas
01-24-08, 02:54

Are you sure that link shouldn't read www.rogueproperties.com.br? ;)

Java Man
01-24-08, 08:09
Ardgneas:
Yes I'm sure. How do I know? The link i provided works. Yours with the ".br" does not.

JohnnyBraz
01-24-08, 09:05
Does anyone know where a weights gym is in Copa?

Java Man
01-24-08, 22:45
Weight gyms are everywhere. Very easy to find. A lot on Av N. S. Copacabanna. Just follow a honey in workout wear to one. :D
Figure about R$10-20 per visit, depending on the quality of the facilities. If you're going frequently negotiate a rate.

Ardgneas
01-24-08, 23:04
Ardgneas:
Yes I'm sure. How do I know? The link i provided works. Yours with the ".br" does not.Mine wasn't meant to particularly after I substituted the "q" in yours with a "g". ;)

Java Man
01-25-08, 00:23
Ardgneas:
You must be new to the Net. :)
I take it you typed it, manually... :/
Just put your cursor over the link, it will change color and left click it, it will open the link in a new window.
You can also "cut and paste." Google search that phrase for detailed instructions.

www.google.com

or
http://www.lollie.com/happy/cutandpaste.html

Aybolit
01-25-08, 04:54
I checked out a lot fo gyms in copa, and the 2 best ones in my opinion are bodytech and Equipe 1 (- Av. N. S. De Copacabana, 702/1º. 2º e 3º andares)

There are both on NS copacabana, on opposite sides of the street not too far from each other. Although Body tech is more expensive, it provides virtually the same stuff as equipe 1. I was working out next to a hot girl at bodytech and asked the trainer whats the deal with her, he told me to check out that months brazilian playboy, she was on the cover he was right as it turned out, she was married though. Too bad.

A lot of gdps I know that actually work out at the gym use equipe uno. Body tech seems to be more of a status thing and for people who want to be pampered. Id go with equipe 1.

JohnnyBraz
01-25-08, 09:21
I checked out a lot fo gyms in copa, and the 2 best ones in my opinion are bodytech and Equipe 1 (- Av. N. S. De Copacabana, 702/1º. 2º e 3º andares)

There are both on NS Copacabana, on opposite sides of the street not too far from each other. Although Body tech is more expensive, it provides virtually the same stuff as equipe 1. I was working out next to a hot girl at bodytech and asked the trainer whats the deal with her, he told me to check out that months brazilian playboy, she was on the cover he was right as it turned out, she was married though. Too bad.

A lot of gdps I know that actually work out at the gym use equipe uno. Body tech seems to be more of a status thing and for people who want to be pampered. Id go with equipe 1.Will definetly check both off them out on my 3 week tour.

Thanks for the info.

Euro100
01-25-08, 14:26
Ardgneas:
You must be new to the Net. :)
I take it you typed it, manually... :/
Just put your cursor over the link, it will change color and left click it, it will open the link in a new window.
You can also "cut and paste." Google search that phrase for detailed instructions.

www.google.com

or
http://www.lollie.com/happy/cutandpaste.html

Dude, he tried to make a joke, nothing more, nothing less. "rogue" (dictionary: "a dishonest or unprincipled man") instead of "roque". That's all. His link was never meant to work.

Hitmanm3
01-25-08, 14:26
Does anyone know where a weights gym is in Copa?
I go to bodytech when iam out there and it is pretty good for the basics. It is 15 a day. It has a pool and some free weights on the 3rd floor.

Ryjerrob
01-27-08, 20:07
Hey Guys, I found this post on another forum.......................FYI!!!!!!

Now that I have left Rio I can report an incident of two nights ago:

I think that you should put out a travel warning for Australians to stay away from Copacabana and Leme.

I have contacted the Tourist Police but they would not take an anonymous statement. They wanted to come and pick me up and offered to get me medical assistance.
I told them I was too scared and now consider the police bigger threat than favela gangsters.

This is absolutely atrocious. Two armed police, one in uniform, tried to rob me as I left Leme Lite bar, an middle-upmarket client bar in a rich neighbourhood. When I told them that I didn't have any money they started to beat me up. I now have broken ribs and a twisted knee and can't walk properly. I have another dozen considerable cuts, scratches and bruises.

After one punched me in the ribs I fell to the ground in agony. At that point my life passed through my mind and I thought they were going to kill me. Why? Because I wasn't lying to them. I don't have any money for one week.

The deal here was: You pay us R$1000 now, at 1.00am in the morning, or we will break your ribs and kill you. That was the deal.

This attempted armed robbery occurred at approximately 1:15am on 28th November outside Leme Lite pub.

Here is the map location:
http://maps.google.com.br/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=-22.964054,-43.172439&spn=0.00407,0.007296&z=17&om=1

The "Leme Lite" bar is on the south-west corner of the intersection of R. Antoniio Vieira and R.Gustavo Sampaio.

The policemen engaged me to talk exactly on that corner. It had stopped raining but there was no-one in the street because it had been raining that night. Normally at Leme Lite there are tables and chairs out on the street and a little way south down the R Antoniio Vieira which is a pedestrian walk-way, not a street for traffic. Many people come here till closing at 3.00am every night. The police escorted me to the corner about 1 meter south down Antonia Viera.

When the assault started I knew that my only hope was to get the 5 meters out of the shadows to the front of the bar which faces north onto R.Gustavo Sampaio. As I attempted to get myself around to the front, the police tried to stop me and that is where we fought until I was in front of the bar where the police lost some of their audacity. However as I could see the fear of police on everyone's eyes I realised nobody was going to help me. Since I had a moment of autonomy, I made a dash for it and ran home as fast as I could - about 500 meters.

The staff at Leme Lite witnessed the second half of the assault as I had dragged the police round to the front of the bar out of the shadows on the corner so that everyone could see in the hope that this would deter the police. The police were not deterred as much as I had anticipated and I immediately saw terror on the faces of the staff as I shouted for them to help me. In english (so that everyone would know I was a tourist) "Help me, they are trying to kill me".

If the tourist police want to investigate this crime they only need go to Leme Lite and try to get someone to inform them who it was. There would have only been several police on foot duty in Leme at that time. There also may be cameras in the area which caught the saga.

It is out of concern for the future safety of other tourists that I want something done about this. I can not believe the stupidity of these police to not realise that Tourism is a massive industry and that such behaviour threatens billions of dollars of income for Brasil. There are hardly any tourists in Copacabana and this is obviously why. Every second tourist I meet tells me they have been robbed at knife point or gun point. But I have never heard of one being robbed violently by the police. I have only heard of police extorting tourists they have caught committing a crime, such as possession of illicit drugs. In that scenario the extortion is non-violent. If the tourist is unable to pay then the police will hand them over to the Federal Police for prosecution.

This policeman and his friend had been at the bar when I was there. Police often visit the bar or stand around outside it during the day. I thought because of their usual presence that this was a safe bar. I don't look or talk to police if I can avoid it.

The police did not speak english to me. I needed to tell them in my poor portuguese that I didn't have any money.

What did think they were going to do? Beat me up until magic dollars oozed out of my bloody head? I didn't have any money and was unable to get any even for myself. I was only able to buy things on credit card. To be honest I wouldn't have paid them anyway. I'd rather be beaten up than give such criminals what they want. I am a generous tourist. I have spent alot of money here on local businesses and even help out some of the praia workers when its raining. The greatest irony of Rio is Christo Redentor. My friend, an artist in Sao Paulo, told me he wants to redesign Christo to cover his eyes with his hands because he can not look upon this disgraceful city any longer. Everyone in Brasil is ashamed of Rio, according to my friend. He said he was very ashamed as a Brazilian to learn that the police would do this to someone, especially someone like me, a generous god fearing man who would never hurt anyone and feels sadness and empathy for those in need and suffering.

All of my Brazilian friends are shocked by this story. Most of them are lawyers and journalists. One told me they consider Copacabana is more dangerous than a favela. After having lived here to two months I have to say I agree that it is very dangerous during the day and the night.

Posted on gringoes.com
Topic: Police violently robbing tourists in Copacabana?
Posted: 29 November 2007 at 14:17

Zorglub
01-27-08, 21:17
Hey Guys, I found this post on another forum.......................FYI!!!!!!

Now that I have left Rio I can report an incident of two nights ago:

I think that you should put out a travel warning for Australians to stay away from Copacabana and Leme.

I have contacted the Tourist Police but they would not take an anonymous statement. They wanted to come and pick me up and offered to get me medical assistance.
I told them I was too scared and now consider the police bigger threat than favela gangsters.

This is absolutely atrocious. Two armed police, one in uniform, tried to rob me as I left Leme Lite bar, an middle-upmarket client bar in a rich neighbourhood. When I told them that I didn't have any money they started to beat me up. I now have broken ribs and a twisted knee and can't walk properly. I have another dozen considerable cuts, scratches and bruises.

After one punched me in the ribs I fell to the ground in agony. At that point my life passed through my mind and I thought they were going to kill me. Why? Because I wasn't lying to them. I don't have any money for one week.

The deal here was: You pay us R$1000 now, at 1.00am in the morning, or we will break your ribs and kill you. That was the deal.

This attempted armed robbery occurred at approximately 1:15am on 28th November outside Leme Lite pub.

Here is the map location:
http://maps.google.com.br/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=-22.964054,-43.172439&spn=0.00407,0.007296&z=17&om=1

The "Leme Lite" bar is on the south-west corner of the intersection of R. Antoniio Vieira and R.Gustavo Sampaio.

The policemen engaged me to talk exactly on that corner. It had stopped raining but there was no-one in the street because it had been raining that night. Normally at Leme Lite there are tables and chairs out on the street and a little way south down the R Antoniio Vieira which is a pedestrian walk-way, not a street for traffic. Many people come here till closing at 3.00am every night. The police escorted me to the corner about 1 meter south down Antonia Viera.

When the assault started I knew that my only hope was to get the 5 meters out of the shadows to the front of the bar which faces north onto R.Gustavo Sampaio. As I attempted to get myself around to the front, the police tried to stop me and that is where we fought until I was in front of the bar where the police lost some of their audacity. However as I could see the fear of police on everyone's eyes I realised nobody was going to help me. Since I had a moment of autonomy, I made a dash for it and ran home as fast as I could - about 500 meters.

The staff at Leme Lite witnessed the second half of the assault as I had dragged the police round to the front of the bar out of the shadows on the corner so that everyone could see in the hope that this would deter the police. The police were not deterred as much as I had anticipated and I immediately saw terror on the faces of the staff as I shouted for them to help me. In english (so that everyone would know I was a tourist) "Help me, they are trying to kill me".

If the tourist police want to investigate this crime they only need go to Leme Lite and try to get someone to inform them who it was. There would have only been several police on foot duty in Leme at that time. There also may be cameras in the area which caught the saga.

It is out of concern for the future safety of other tourists that I want something done about this. I can not believe the stupidity of these police to not realise that Tourism is a massive industry and that such behaviour threatens billions of dollars of income for Brasil. There are hardly any tourists in Copacabana and this is obviously why. Every second tourist I meet tells me they have been robbed at knife point or gun point. But I have never heard of one being robbed violently by the police. I have only heard of police extorting tourists they have caught committing a crime, such as possession of illicit drugs. In that scenario the extortion is non-violent. If the tourist is unable to pay then the police will hand them over to the Federal Police for prosecution.

This policeman and his friend had been at the bar when I was there. Police often visit the bar or stand around outside it during the day. I thought because of their usual presence that this was a safe bar. I don't look or talk to police if I can avoid it.

The police did not speak english to me. I needed to tell them in my poor portuguese that I didn't have any money.

What did think they were going to do? Beat me up until magic dollars oozed out of my bloody head? I didn't have any money and was unable to get any even for myself. I was only able to buy things on credit card. To be honest I wouldn't have paid them anyway. I'd rather be beaten up than give such criminals what they want. I am a generous tourist. I have spent alot of money here on local businesses and even help out some of the praia workers when its raining. The greatest irony of Rio is Christo Redentor. My friend, an artist in Sao Paulo, told me he wants to redesign Christo to cover his eyes with his hands because he can not look upon this disgraceful city any longer. Everyone in Brasil is ashamed of Rio, according to my friend. He said he was very ashamed as a Brazilian to learn that the police would do this to someone, especially someone like me, a generous god fearing man who would never hurt anyone and feels sadness and empathy for those in need and suffering.

All of my Brazilian friends are shocked by this story. Most of them are lawyers and journalists. One told me they consider Copacabana is more dangerous than a favela. After having lived here to two months I have to say I agree that it is very dangerous during the day and the night.

Posted on gringoes.com
Topic: Police violently robbing tourists in Copacabana?
Posted: 29 November 2007 at 14:17

Although this is not a common way for those corrupt cops to rob "gringos" , it already happened. This guy should at least complain to tourist police and federal police about that.

There have been cases where those rotten (military I guess) cops have been caught.

Scotob
01-27-08, 23:55
I received my check this past week regarding that lawsuit involving credit cards and certain overseas spending. Anyone else? If not, and you filed a claim a few months back, be expecting it soon.

Colones
01-28-08, 03:04
Last week I was in a cab riding from Help to Ipanema at 3am. I was stopped in a 2-man police roadblock and despite the cab driver telling the cop I was a tourist this made no difference. The rear window was rolled down and a shorty M-16 was shoved into my face. I was told to get out of the cab and empty my pockets on the trunk. I was then frisked and the police looked carefully through the contents of my pockets. They were obviously looking for narcotics as they inspected behind the row of matches in a book of matches I had picked up earlier at dinner. Between my friend and myself we had several hundred reais on the trunk. To my surprise, the cops told us to pack up our belongings and hit the road. Just doing their job. Who would have known.

Off Road
01-28-08, 08:49
I have interacted a few (maybe 5) times with different cops here in Rio. All have been friedly and helpful. Some have wanted a bit of a bribe to do something for me (look up records on their computer at the station for example). There are different types of police here to from the municipal police you find on the beach (brown outfits), policia federal (grey outfits), tourist police, and military, transit, etc. if you see guys in black, run away (BOPE, watch Tropa de Elite).

However, my GF had a terrible experience with extortion with PF but not in zona sul.

Gatorman
01-29-08, 03:47
When I first started reading this report, I thought you might have run into some local drug guys that had somehow stolen a police uniform. But you stated that they were hanging around the bar for awhile before they assaulted you. It seems crazy because it gave the other people there a good chance to ID them.
I think I would have gone to the tourist police in Leblon so that they could return and interview the workers in the bar etc.
I have been mugged in Rio before and went to the tourist police. They speak English and seemed to be honest and concerned about the crime. Of course if you take down a bad cop you may want to change where you are staying and of course always watch your back. Due to their lousy salaries, there is no shortage of bad cops in Rio.

Mr Enternational
01-29-08, 05:00
I received my check this past week regarding that lawsuit involving credit cards and certain overseas spending. Anyone else? If not, and you filed a claim a few months back, be expecting it soon.

We have until March right? My problem is that I do not know how much I have spent nor have I had time to go back and dig up previous card numbers. What is the maximum that we can receive?

Ezinho
01-29-08, 05:14
We have until March right? My problem is that I do not know how much I have spent nor have I had time to go back and dig up previous card numbers. What is the maximum that we can receive?
Actually, the deadline is May 30th. There is still plenty of time.

You might be better off choosing to file option number two. All you have to do is give them the approximate number of days you were out of the country between 1996-2006 and they will give a "maximum" of 1% back of what you spent overseas during that time.

If you have excess spare time on your hands with nothing to do, you could do option number three and go over all your credit card statements from the last ten years. Then the refund will be 1-3% according to the settlement. Just need to ask yourself whether it's worth the time. I guess it depends on how much you use your card when overseas.

Has anyone received a check from this settlement yet using option two or three? Care to share the amount?

Rio Bob
01-29-08, 17:11
Last week I was in a cab riding from Help to Ipanema at 3am. I was stopped in a 2-man police roadblock and despite the cab driver telling the cop I was a tourist this made no difference. The rear window was rolled down and a shorty M-16 was shoved into my face. I was told to get out of the cab and empty my pockets on the trunk. I was then frisked and the police looked carefully through the contents of my pockets. They were obviously looking for narcotics as they inspected behind the row of matches in a book of matches I had picked up earlier at dinner. Between my friend and myself we had several hundred reais on the trunk. To my surprise, the cops told us to pack up our belongings and hit the road. Just doing their job. Who would have known.

This same thing happened to me a couple of years ago, same destination. 6 heavily armed police pulled us over, my girl told me it is normal. They went through everything of mine, I had money on me too, they let us go.

Rio Bob
01-29-08, 17:40
I left Help the other night and walked right past all the usual crowd of blood suckers, saw a taxi pull up and I forgot to ask if he uses the meter. I got in the taxi and then I said, .Do you use the meter? He said no, then I asked him how much is it to my street? He told me 10 reais, I said it's normally 6, I'll give you 7 with tip. He said no and more words exchanged, next thing you know he is jumping out of the taxi waving his arms at me and yelling like a mad man. Then another one comes over who is usually the guy who is always asking you if you want a taxi when you leave Help. Both of them are yelling and screaming at me, I'm not saying much but I'm keeping an eye on them to see who is going to throw a punch or something. Nothing happens, I get into another taxi and it cost 6 reais, I saved a big 4 reais, not much but it's the principle.

Next night I'm in Help again and I meet this hot little blonde, she says she speaks 8 languages, I heard her speaking to Germans and Italians and we spoke in Portuguese although she spoke English. I spent hours with her in Help, we agreed upon the night, we danced, drank, having a great time, she even gave me her wallet to hold in my back pocket.

Then I said to her, after this drink lets go. She said to me sure, I have a friend outside who is a taxi man he will take us to your place for 10 reais. I couldn't believe she said this to me, I said to her you must be kidding, why would I need to pay your crook friend 10 reais when I can flag any taxi down for 6? I told her you just turned me off, I pulled her wallet out and handed it to her, she was devastated, crying, walked away mad.

It was late about 4 am already, many women had already left alone, many nice ones, some had approached me even when this girl went to the bathroom, I looked for some of these girls, they were gone already but I did find one that I had never seen before, it worked out fine and I saved another 4 reais.

Exec Talent
01-29-08, 17:51
Then I said to her, after this drink lets go. She said to me sure, I have a friend outside who is a taxi man he will take us to your place for 10 reais.

If a girl suggests a taxi, do as Sangue Bon did and walk away, regardless of the price. On one of my first visits to Rio a girl did that with me when we were outside Help. I said, no, let's get in this taxi. The other taxi followed us and ran us off the road. Turns out it was her soon to be ex-boyfriend whose plan was to rob me.

Pipe Layer99
01-29-08, 20:46
I just got a call from Citibank early fraud alert. There were two transactions
at a rental car agency in Brazil this month. Looks like duplicate charges for over $1000 ea.

I haven't been to Brazil in months. Last trip was in Nov 2007. I used the card outside of Help at Terraco Atlantico, some Kilo restaurants and at 4x4.
This was 2 months ago! So someone got hold of the numbers over this time and used them.

Over the last few years I never had a problem using my card. This goes to show, even if you did not have issues 'BEFORE' it can still happen. Fortunately for me, Citibank was on point and contacted me. I called back and Citibank canx my card and will mail me another one.

Word to the wise - if you are going to use a credit card for some transactions in Brazil or anywhere else for that matter, I recommend using a separate card with a low total credit line. If you don't have one - you might want to think about applying for another one.

I'm glad I have at least two different card. Otherwise I will be without a credit card while waiting for the new card to arrive. This could take a week. Now imagine if you are in Brazil when this happened. You would be without a card and maybe no way to pay for stuff. Which is why I usually take some cash, an ATM card, and a credit card.

Hope this helps. Donnie D

Benjoe
01-29-08, 21:39
I just got a call from Citibank early fraud alert. There were two transactions
at a rental car agency in Brazil this month. Looks like duplicate charges for over $1000 ea.

I haven't been to Brazil in months. Last trip was in Nov 2007. I used the card outside of Help at Terraco Atlantico, some Kilo restaurants and at 4x4.
This was 2 months ago! So someone got hold of the numbers over this time and used them.

Hope this helps. Donnie D

Never use your credit card at a restaurant. The waiter takes your card and is out of your sight and who knows what he does with it. Needless to say, this is fraud waiting -- begging -- to happen.

Rio Bob
01-30-08, 00:58
One day early last week I walked in to Help and by one of the bars there were two very tall beautiful blondes. They were stunning, one was about 5'10" the other over 6'. I didn't think they were going to fit in my budget but I still went over there to take a look see. I squeezed in to the bar next to one of them to get a drink and the shorter one starts kidding around with me in English. We go back and forth and I said to her, you’re not Brazilian are you? She said no that they were from Denmark. The one over 6' was a perfect specimen. Ok so yada yada yada, she says to me I think I can trust you, do you know where I can buy an illicit substance consumed through the nasal passage. I said no try the taxi drivers, they know everything.

Ok, I go about my business walking around the club looking for a value play. I run into them again, the shorter one is drunk and loud and is talking to the girls in English, like they really care. They had been in Rio over a week already so I asked them what clubs they had been to, they named all the popular young crowd clubs. So I said, well did you find some nice young Brazilian studs? She told me that more or less they were on them like flies on shit. But she said we're beautiful and we're arrogant so there were no takers.

Funny thing was that the guys in Help were not on them like flies on shit. Guys don't go to Help or Rio to deal with that crap and I think these girls were surprised to see that they weren’t being paid attention to. They did know what Help was all about sort of, one asked me, are you sure all the girls here are prostitutes? Then she asked me what goes on upstairs? I said that’s the balcony of free feels. That’s when I left and found something more efficient.

Off Road
01-30-08, 01:56
I use my credit card most everywhere here, I live here and cash is a pain. I have several cards and about once a year, typically after I post something about fraud, is my card cloned and I have to switch cards, fill out the forms, etc.. Not a big issue.

Now trying to figure out WHO is doing this. From the newspapers and TV, some drug stores were doing it last year. HSBC has also been in the news about doing it.

When I had mine cloned last, I had been to my regular places (TA and Help which are the same, restaraunts, balcony, supermarket) and also Praia Lido one night. Two days later, some idiot tried to use my card for a R$6000 purchase, to which Citi declined and shut off the card.

A buddy of mine used his card once and somene cloned it, he typically uses his debit card, but decided to use the credit card. Guess where, Praia Lido!

So we are fairly sure they are the culprits. Like positive.

The good thing about credit cards, you are not liable for the false charges. Citi and B of A will remove the charges and send a new card.

If you use a CC, check your charges online frequently. Tell your CC company you are out of the country and give them a number to call you. Also put the USA number in your cell phone, you can call USA by putting in 0021-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx (not an 800 number). 0021 is the telco carrier, there are several.

Citi is really good at watching, I can typically tell when they will shut it of. Like I go shopping, about the 4th time I use the card, it is declined. I just call them and they unblock the card. Calling the USA is not very expensive.

Ryjerrob
02-01-08, 00:54
I heard there was a fight outside Help sometime during this past week. I'm hearing that some Italian dude got jump by some taxi drivers outside the club. I hear he got the crap beat out of him. Anyone hear anything about this?

ryjer

Sui Generis
02-02-08, 12:57
According to this newly released study Recife is the most violent city in Brazil. Minas Gerais and Paraná (especially in Foz da Igaçu) are among the cities were the crime rate is very high. The crime rate in São Paulo is still decreasing.

http://oglobo.globo.com/pais/mat/2008/01/29/mapa_da_violencia_dos_municipios_brasileiros_mostra_queda_dos_assassinatos_desde_2004-335333020.asp

http://www.ritla.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2314&Itemid=147

George90
02-02-08, 20:46
According to this newly released study Recife is the most violent city in Brazil. Minas Gerais and Paraná (especially in Foz da Igaçu) are among the cities were the crime rate is very high. The crime rate in São Paulo is still decreasing.

I spent Christmas and New Year's in Recife. My friends there say that is correct; violent crime has been increasing in the past 2 or 3 years. However, there is more to the story than just higher numbers of violent acts.

Recife is a very spread out city, stretching from the coast to 20-25 km towards the interior. As you might well imagine, most of the wealth, stores, jobs, etc. are concentrated near the coast and the beaches. The wealthy live in the high-rise condos than line the beach.

(I met a US ex-pat who lives in Recife. He has seen the changes; the tearing down of smaller buildings and construction of luxury high-rises. He feels the poor and middle income wil be completely driven out of the beach areas.)

The poor live in small houses and favelas in the interior. With few jobs, many of the young men join gangs and sell drugs. Most of the violent crime has so far been concentrated in the interior among gang members. They don't have cars and only a few of the bus routes link the richer and poorer areas.

I sight-saw the interior on my early trips to Recife and I was warned by several Brazilians about street crime in that area. I went during the day and returned well before dark, so I was not as paranoid as they. My friends told me this trip that crime in those areas had risen a great deal and was now spilling over into the wealthier areas. I got a sense that they felt the city was going downhill.

They explained that a big part of the reason for the increase in crime was the increase in the cost of living. I am not sure why, but the strong real has actually hurt most Brazilians. They told me that prices of fresh fruit, fresh vegetables, and meats have risen dramatically. They are still very low by US standards, but in relation to Brazilian wages, food prices are high. Most of my friends are working second jobs just to keep themselves in the same place they were 3 or 4 years ago. Everyone complains of working 24/7 but not seeing anything result form their hard work.

I think that because Brazil is exporting so much to China, and the wealthy are benefitting SO much from the strong currency, that the wealthy are buying up lots of stuff but Brazil is not making as much stuff for domestic consumption. You have more money chasing less goods, so prices rise. The middle gets shafted and the poor get royally shafted. The poor are shafting back through crime.

I don't know why Recife should be particularly more violent than other Brazilian cities.

Sui Generis
02-02-08, 22:00
Thanks for the info, George90.

Very good description of the current situation in Recife. I agree with you that's hard to pinpoint a sole or direct cause that could explain the crime rate in Recife.

I can venture an explanation for Foz da Igaçu. Because it borders Uruguay and Paraguay (and there's is a lot of trafic down there) it's the best landing point of coke from Bolivia. There's also a lot of illicit activies going down there : firearms, jewels, stolen goods, etc.

Sprite13
02-05-08, 05:28
A quick question:
How is the time spent in Brasil calculated? I mean, I spent 4 weeks in 2007 in Brasil between April and May. And knowing that the max amount of time someone can stay in Brasil legally is up to 6 months. Now is it, in any given calendar year or any given rolling consecutive 365 days?

In addition, If I were to return for a short stay of 1-2 weeks before April, would that count towards last year or towards this year? I am asking because I am planning on staying 6 months starting in October to spring of next year. I am asking as I want to remain legal and not black list myself if I were to overstay my visa as I can't stay long away from Brasil.:)

Can anyone kindly clarify this for me? Also, my passport expires in April 09. Is there any rule as to how soon in advance can one have it renewed? Once renewed, I understand on my future trips to Brasil, I'd have to carry both passports as my 5 year visa is valid till 2010. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance for the clarifications.

Valeu.

El Greco
02-05-08, 06:35
A quick question:
How is the time spent in Brasil calculated? I mean, I spent 4 weeks in 2007 in Brasil between April and May. And knowing that the max amount of time someone can stay in Brasil legally is up to 6 months. Now is it, in any given calendar year or any given rolling consecutive 365 days?

In addition, If I were to return for a short stay of 1-2 weeks before April, would that count towards last year or towards this year? I am asking because I am planning on staying 6 months starting in October to spring of next year. I am asking as I want to remain legal and not black list myself if I were to overstay my visa as I can't stay long away from Brasil.:)

Can anyone kindly clarify this for me? Also, my passport expires in April 09. Is there any rule as to how soon in advance can one have it renewed? Once renewed, I understand on my future trips to Brasil, I'd have to carry both passports as my 5 year visa is valid till 2010. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance for the clarifications.

Valeu.

Let's start from the last one. Usually a passport that does not expire within the next six months is required from most countries.

You have to have the passport with the valid visa with you for them to see.

Every entry as tourist is good for 90 days with a mximum of 180 in any given 365 days. About a week before expiration you must go to federal police with the passport and an onward ticket .
Providing that you don't have any time in Brasil the previous 90+180=270 days they will give another 90 days or the remaining to complete 90 if you had some days in those 180 days before your entry. You have to pay a small fee of about 70 Reais I think. Dress well going there. That helps a lot.
This is the correct way of calculatimg it. If you are 180 days out of the country you can get 180 continuous days (90+90) in Brasil.

Be aware that in Fortaleza they have another strange way of calculating.
They did the mistake with me and out of curiosity I went to the Federal police in RIO to ask them too.Well their colleagues in RIO let me understand that they could correct it but I was not interested because I had already purchased my ticket to Buenos Aires.

El Greco

Perkele
02-05-08, 11:34
Every entry as tourist is good for 90 days with a mximum of 180 in any given 365 days.
El Greco

Wrong!!!

When entering PF will write the number of the days that you are allowed to stay. It´s UP to 90 days in first entry. Pay attention. They can put anything from 15 days to 90 days. Depending how many days they put, you need to renew your stay. Also PF doesn´t HAVE to extend your stay.

P

Magic2000
02-05-08, 14:41
Guys,

My understanding of the VISA situation is like this having discussed this with the officials on my last trip , you can stay in Brasil up to 180 days in any 1 year cycle starting at the point that you first made your first trip with the remaining 90 days given at their discretion, you can leave and enter the country as many times as you like and the days that are remaining on your VISA are noted on your passport stamp as you enter.

So for example I could go to Brasil for 15 days of each and every month for the whole year period to use up my allocation of 180 days. As mentioned anything over 90 days are at the discretion of the authorities there and they may decide to not give you the VISA if they felt something suspicious about so many entries into Brasil.

Magic

El Greco
02-05-08, 15:46
Wrong!!!

When entering PF will write the number of the days that you are allowed to stay. It´s UP to 90 days in first entry. Pay attention. They can put anything from 15 days to 90 days. Depending how many days they put, you need to renew your stay. Also PF doesn´t HAVE to extend your stay.

P

We have been through that in the past. I always got 90 days and I have been into Brasil about 30 times in the last 10 years. In one year only I came six times. Never got anything less than 90 days.

Maybe they treat european union citizens differently.

El Austriaco
02-05-08, 16:26
We have been through that in the past. I always got 90 days and I have been into Brasil about 30 times in the last 10 years. In one year only I came six times. Never got anything less than 90 days.

Maybe they treat european union citizens differently.
Yes, we have been through that in the past, and Perkele is right.

Also compare the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_(document)

Some quotes (highlights mine):

A visa (short for the Latin carta visa, lit. "a document that has been seen"[citation needed]) is a document issued by a country giving an individual permission to formally request entrance to the country during a given period of time and for certain purposes (see below for caveats and exceptions) and usually stamped or glued inside of a passport, or sometimes issued as separate pieces of paper.

Visas are associated with the request for permission to enter (or exit) a country, and are thus, for some countries, distinct from actual formal permission for an alien to enter and remain in the country.

Even having a visa does not guarantee entry to the host country. The border crossing authorities make the final determination to allow entry, and may even cancel a visa at the border if the alien cannot demonstrate to their satisfaction that they will abide by the status their visa grants them.

Off Road
02-06-08, 12:51
From 2003-2006 I entered Brazil in Sao Paulo and Rio 32 times. I have so many stamps in my passport, it would be nearly impossible to match them.

I have two business visas, (a 1 year and a 2 year) a tourist visa (5 year) and finally my permanent visa (entered in 2007 have not left).

Only one of the stamps has a duration written in for how long I was supposed to stay). But since I was here for business so much I never paid attention to it. So, it is not strictly true they write down your allowed duration.

I have also exited brazil in Rio when they did not stamp my passport, I had to ask a few times and they seemed puzzled why I asked.

Now they scan the passports and store the information in the computers. Before it was manual, and I THINK not all ports of entry have computers yet (but I have not been traveling that much lately).

We can find the RULES on the web sites or by looking at your visa. The visa stamp says ´valid for up to 90 days stay renewable for the same duration by the feteral police not to exceed 180 days per year´.

The year is not defined on the stamp, but as some have found out this is a rolling year, not calendar year.

I had one friend have the PF calculate the days by the days exiting USA and entering USA, which adds 2 days for each trip. He was way over the 90 day stay when going to the PF so I think they were just trying to get a larger fee.

What I did was keep exact track of when I entered and exited, point of entry and departure. I was prepared with data if I needed it as I was always very close to the 180 days for calendar or rolling.

As with a lot of things in brazil, the rules can vary and it depends a lot on your additude and patience with the officials. For example, if you did stay over 180 days in a rolling 365 but not a calendar 365 and the PF do get you, you can politely tell them you thought it was calendar year and you were stupid not to look it up. Telling them this is a stupid rule is not effective.

Hope this helps some.

The Watcher
02-06-08, 20:34
Only one of the stamps has a duration written in for how long I was supposed to stay). But since I was here for business so much I never paid attention to it. So, it is not strictly true they write down your allowed duration.

During my last trip to Rio, I was asked at immigration how long I intended to stay in Brasil. I responded by saying two weeks and the immigration person wrote on the slip that I gave him (the one you have to give back when you exit) a departure date two weeks from my date of entry.

I, however, actually stayed 16 days and not 14 days. Nothing happened when I returned the slip on my date of departure.

In my case, a date of departure was not written on my visa but it was written on my immigration form.

Mr Enternational
02-12-08, 06:58
After 10 times to DR, I think you're ready for a change. For me, Brasil is a state of mind. It's hard for me to travel there with a posse. Doing my own thing is great fun. Doing Centro, and VM is just the greatest thing since slice bread. ryjer

Dude. You said it. After two trips the posse thing was no longer me. It turns out to be more like babysitting. My itinerary changed drastically seeing that I am more into hanging out with my local friends and trying to learn some things and really getting to know the place culturally and linguistically while P4F is second nature and P4P is third nature. Whereas with the posse everything is P4P and nobody can give as much as a "Bom Dia." So I prefer to fly solo or with only 1 of my 3 proven trustworthy wingmen who I know are flexible enough to adapt to any given situation or circumstance without breaking a sweat. Not to mention, if they can not already speak the destination language, they do not hesitate to try and learn.

Ditto on centro and VM!

Lorenzo
02-12-08, 21:47
So I prefer to fly solo or with only 1 of my 3 proven trustworthy wingmen.........
Why would anyone want to be a wingman? I've never been able to figure this out. I find the very thought of it degrading, and I know I would never humble myself like that. What's in it for them? Maybe someone could shed some light on this?

Ohp1972
02-12-08, 22:53
Why would anyone want to be a wingman? I've never been able to figure this out. I find the very thought of it degrading, and I know I would never humble myself like that. What's in it for them? Maybe someone could shed some light on this?I dont think it is regarded as a disrespect! If you have 3 Good reliable "Friends"(or what every the number) all 3 of them call each other wingmen.... Which means when we make plans naturally we go somewhere to congregate(kick it; have fun) it is second nature you look out for your Boys(Partners)! And if one of them decides to go do something else, cool! There is No Drama because we trust one another & just get back with them the next day & rap about our conquest & see what's going to happen next? A relaxing enviroment at least with my wingmen! But, at the same time we all do things on our own!!! You don't have a posse or wingmen everywhere you go. I dont think that is what they are trying to say!

Ryjerrob
02-12-08, 22:55
Why would anyone want to be a wingman? I've never been able to figure this out. I find the very thought of it degrading, and I know I would never humble myself like that. What's in it for them? Maybe someone could shed some light on this?

It's just a term. In the context of what we were talking about, I think he means a partner in crime. Someone who's experienced Rio before, and can handle themselves. A non-newbie. A person who has the basics of the language, culture, and can get by on their own. Isn't a wingman someone who has your back?

ryjer

Ryjerrob
02-12-08, 22:59
I keep finding these porn flicks online, so being curious, I've downloaded a few. Well, they seem to be videos of sex parties. Is anyone familiar with these, or are they just pornos?

ryjer

Rio Lover #2
02-13-08, 00:46
I keep finding these porn flicks online, so being curious, I've downloaded a few. Well, they seem to be videos of sex parties. Is anyone familiar with these, or are they just pornos?

ryjer

Most of those are real pornos, a lot of brasilian porn actresses appear in them. Beautiful girls like Pamela Butt, Monica Mattos or Bruna Ferraz are on a lot of those. There are also some movies with girls who work(ed) in termas, like Babalu or Ju Pantera.

They are great to watch, they bring back so many saudades.

RL

The Watcher
02-13-08, 02:36

From your description, I assume you think that a wingman is a person who watches somebody performing a sex act or maybe you think a wingman participates in the sex act also. I don't think that is the common definition of wingman.

I always use that term to describe a good friend who I hang out with at a club or a termas. And you always wait for your wingman to finish before you leave a place because you never leave your wingman.

Cho 637
02-13-08, 02:43
From your description, I assume you think that a wingman is a person who watches somebody performing a sex act or maybe you think a wingman participates in the sex act also. I don't think that is the common definition of wingman.

I always use that term to describe a good friend who I hang out with at a club or a termas. And you always wait for your wingman to finish before you leave a place because you never leave your wingman.

Excellent definition!

Lorenzo
02-13-08, 03:57
I have always thought a wingman was someone who came along to divert the less attractive girls so that the guy he is helping can score with the really attractive girl he wants. Also his role is to praise the guy he's helping so as to get the girls to go to him. Cf: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wingman_%28social%29.

Apparently it's being used here in a different sense, as just a buddy who goes along and gets his own girls as well. That's a lot better.

Mr Enternational
02-13-08, 04:41
I have always thought a wingman was someone who came along to divert the less attractive girls so that the guy he is helping can score with the really attractive girl he wants. Also his role is to praise the guy he's helping so as to get the girls to go to him. Cf: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wingman_%28social%29.

Apparently it's being used here in a different sense, as just a buddy who goes along and gets his own girls as well. That's a lot better.

Yeah, that wikipedia link that you posted used it that way in the last sentence: "The term Wingman can also be known as a right hand man or best friend in some countries"

Off Road
02-13-08, 16:12

ryjerThey are a porno version of Balie Funk.

Jan 156
02-13-08, 21:23

Yeah, I agree. I've always thought it a bit inappropriate on here really, but to each their own. Think of the derivation, based on air force combat.

The main usage afaaik is when you go hunting for non-pro and use certain skills. In bars and clubs and so on, two guys can steer a woman along that nice rosy path that ends up with sex if they know how to use subliminal signals and all that stuff. It's not just a case of praising the other guy of course, it's about getting the girl hot and in the mood to party, and associating that feeling with the guys she's with. So it's pretty irrelevant imho when talking about p4ps as you don't have to persuade them on much except the price. It's like talking about chat up lines - a bit dumb when it comes to p4p.

There was a scene in a movie recently as various cowboys sit around the campfire discusing their limited sexual experiences. The least experienced of the group eventually tells how he had this girl once . . . throws in lots of great detail and he looks like one hell of a cool dude. Then blows it all by adding, "And I know she really liked me, cos she gave me a really good price!"

I don't understand the mentality of wanting a buddy to go to a *****house. If it is a really amazing place just to hang out, then maybe it's good to enjoy the champagne, fine food and jacuzzis with like minded souls as lovely ladies hang on to every second. The closest I can think of that that exists is the sort of place at the begining of Charlie Wilson's War, but it's not even a brothel - just a place where high class strippers hang out in the hope of getting laid by someone with lots of cash.

The idea of going to a *****house with a buddy, to me, just says you're feeling a bit shy on your first visit. Or maybe you don't know how to get there and want to feel less dumb by going with someone to find the place. The only exception that seems valid maybe is when you get a group scene going with several guys and at least as many ladies, and that's just something with buddies - no wingman skills involved. But when it comes down to it, a lot of guys are pretty shy about getting in the buff with each other to share women. Once you're relaxed enough to do a full blown orgy you're probably into swinging scenarios or arranging private parties.

Wingman sounds really cool. But why not just say buddy? And if someone wants to be my buddy, that generally involves stuff we can do together other than look for p4p. Most mongers are on too tight a schedule or have too little in common with other mongers (except for mongering) to want to bother.

Just needed to get that out of my system ;-)

El Greco
02-13-08, 22:07
Available for bookings made on line from midnight to 06:00 hours on certain dates and for domestic flights only I think.

Valid from Feb 17th to April 17th with a 5 days advance purchase. Offered 10 seats on every flight.

In other words you pay full fare on one flight leg and only 7 reais plus 20 reais tax for the other. Half price.

If you want to fly around Brasil for half the price now is the time for you.

www.voegol.com.br

El Greco

Rio Joe
02-14-08, 07:13
Anyone hear anything about Varig restarting flights to/from USA?

El Greco
02-15-08, 00:12
Anyone hear anything about Varig restarting flights to/from USA?

http://portal.varig.com.br/br/varig/I18NLayer.2004-06-30.1365979349/i18nlayer.2007-10-19.9493500243/pt-br/template_interna

On their next to do list I think

Java Man
02-17-08, 04:45
End of Summer and Time Change in Brazil tonite.
They changed the clocks 1 hour back at 12a.

Combo
02-20-08, 04:36
Is Holy Week (Palm Sunday through Easter) a bad time to be in Rio for mongering? I know in some S. American countries, things shut down during this week. Is that the case in Rio? Will the termas be open?

Thanks

Chris H
02-21-08, 05:03
Is Holy Week (Palm Sunday through Easter) a bad time to be in Rio for mongering? I know in some S. American countries, things shut down during this week. Is that the case in Rio? Will the termas be open?

Thanks

Good question, I hope someone answers you, because that is when I plan to be back in Paradise.

Chris H

Jesuscola
02-21-08, 13:18

Thanks

Everything will be closed on Good Friday. Things should be normal on Saturday. L'uomo has traditionally been open on Easter Sunday, and this year, I would bet on Solarium and MC as well.

Cho 637
02-22-08, 02:03
Thu Feb 21, 3:07 PM ET

SAO PAULO, Brazil - A ferryboat carrying more than 100 passengers collided with a barge loaded with fuel tanks and sank to the bottom of the Amazon River on Thursday, officials said. At least 10 people died, and another nine were missing and feared dead.

The Almirante Monteiro capsized at dawn near the isolated Brazilian town of Itacoatiara in the jungle state of Amazonas, state fire spokesman Lt. Clovis Araujo said.

He said 92 people were rescued by several small boats and the state's floating police station, a 32-foot vessel that travels up and down the river and was in the area at the time of the shipwreck.

Rescue teams recovered the bodies of four children, five women and one man, Araujo said, and a check of the boat's passenger manifest indicated nine people were still missing.

"The chances of finding them alive are remote," he said. "We will keep searching until the last body is found.

He said he did not know how many people were on the barge, but "no one was hurt and the barge was not damaged."

Many of the missing were likely passengers who were asleep in cabins inside the two-story wooden vessel and were unable to get out before the boat sank, state public safety department spokesman Aguinaldo Rodrigues said.

"As far as we can tell, just about all the survivors were passengers sleeping in hammocks on the deck," Rodrigues said.

Rodrigues said it was too early to determine the causes of the accident, but "visibility was very poor" at the time of the collision during the lunar eclipse that began Wednesday night.

The survivors were taken to the small town of Novo Remanso and sheltered in the local church. They were to be taken by helicopter to the state capital of Manaus.

Kcrl01
02-24-08, 18:02
Is Holy Week (Palm Sunday through Easter) a bad time to be in Rio for mongering? ......Any day you get up, read the obituaries, and your name isn't in it. Is a good time to monger in Rio!

Ryjerrob
02-25-08, 01:58
Any day you get up, read the obituaries, and your name isn't in it. Is a good time to monger in Rio!

Well said ,my brotha...................

I prefer the low season, less dumb gringos. I did do New Year's Eve this last time though. I am also thinking about finally doing Carnaval in 2009. I think April - June is a great time. The beer is cold, the pussy is hot, and the time is always right,

ryjer

Combo
02-26-08, 04:30
Yeah, it's nice to be there when the place isn't overrun with (fellow) gringos. I remember being at Luomo right before Thanksgiving. There was a 2 hour wait for cabins.

I live in Chicago, so I like to get down there during the N. American winter, which is more or less high season. If I ever move to Miami, I'll start going down in July and August.

Rio Bob
02-29-08, 16:02
http://oglobo.globo.com/rio/mat/2008/02/28/bingo_arpoador_pode_ser_desapropriado-426017082.asp

Looks like they are now trying to desapropriado the old Bingo Arpoador building now too so that it doesn't become another Help. Wow looks like they are serious about getting rid of these types of places. We shall see. Whats next?

Wild Cherokee
03-01-08, 02:00

I prefer the low season, less dumb gringos. I did do New Year's Eve this last time though. I am also thinking about finally doing Carnaval in 2009. I think April - June is a great time. The beer is cold, the pussy is hot, and the time is always right,

ryjer

Ryjer,

I've never been there during high season. May-September is my time. I concur... cold, hot and cheap!

WC

Madd Love
03-01-08, 03:43

ryjer

I agree with going during low season, but from experience year after year it gets worse. I don't think its worth the prices they charge, hotels apts and airfare.
I went 2007 and 2008 and 2007 was better than 2008. The girls in help were not even topless. Each year something seems to fall off. They had a sign no topless in the lobby, but if you want to go for experience than all the best to you. I just wanted to let you know about carnival from my experience before you go ahead and decide to do it.

Madd Love
03-01-08, 03:51
http://oglobo.globo.com/rio/mat/2008/02/28/bingo_arpoador_pode_ser_desapropriado-426017082.asp

Looks like they are now trying to desapropriado the old Bingo Arpoador building now too so that it doesn't become another Help. Wow looks like they are serious about getting rid of these types of places. We shall see. Whats next?

Translation

RIVER - With fear of the headquarters of the Bingo Harpooner to be transformed into one boate type "inferninho", mayor Mayan Cesar published decree in this thursday asking for the dispossession of the property, that is in the Street Francisco Otaviano, in accordance with news article published in the edition of this friday of the periodical "the Globe". Since that the governor Sergio Cabral asked for the dispossession of the land of the Help, in January, inhabitants of Copacabana they feared that boate was transferred to the building of old bingo. The notice arrived to be divulged in a site pirate in the InterNet, but it was not confirmed. In this thursday, Mayan Cesar said that the decree has preventive character. It affirmed that he did not want to run the risk of a "boate/inferninho/atrativa of prostitution" if to dislocate for a residential area. Without giving information on the future of the land, it he only denied that the property had debts with the city: - one is not to debts, but about use. In the Francisco Otaviano, the city hall prevented a shunting line of purpose of the old School Isa Prates. The property is being remodelled to host the Municipal School Tone Jobim. If we left to enter incompatible activities, we would have a very negative impact. But the dispossession can or not be culminated.

Wild Cherokee
03-01-08, 04:10
This article is in English (with interesting commentary at the end).

http://www.brazzilmag.com/content/view/9097/

WC

Gypsy Wanderer
03-02-08, 10:49
Here is the paper (in Portuguese) by the anthropologist that was consulted for this Brazzil magazine article. My Portuguese isn't strong enough to make much of it out but I was curious if it had any interesting anecdotes, the quote from the article made it sound as though she was on the side of keeping Help open.

"Our Lady of Help": Sex, tourism and transnational movements in Copacabana

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0104-83332005000200010&lng=en&nrm=iso&tlng=pt

WC

Cho 637
03-03-08, 00:53

WC

Make sure you read the comments at the end of the article. The anthropologist, Thaddeus Blanchett, has some very positive things to say. They also rip some woman who made some negative comments, a new a**hole!

Brazil Specialist
03-03-08, 13:25
Available for bookings made on line from midnight to 06:00 hours on certain dates and for domestic flights only I think.

Valid from Feb 17th to April 17th with a 5 days advance purchase. Offered 10 seats on every flight.

In other words you pay full fare on one flight leg and only 7 reais plus 20 reais tax for the other. Half price.

If you want to fly around Brasil for half the price now is the time for you.

www.voegol.com.br

El Greco

Yes, got one of these flights for myself, and a few more for friends

I am in Curitiba right now. For under R$ 300 total round trip with tax and insurance included.

Even Rio residents deserve some sex tourism elsewhere. I probably will go again in a few weeks. If someone wants to join, get in touch with me. If a Rio resident goes there for fun it must be good!

I am sorry I did not buy more of these tickets in advance. too late now

By the way, Rio visitors, get in touch and stop over when you come. I even have rental suites in my place 2 blocks from Help in case you are interested. But you are very welcome just to stop over and say hi.

Spinnerman
03-03-08, 15:00
I don't know if I missed it, but I know Help was suppose to clse on Friday. It is now Sunday, does anyone know if it is closed. I am about to get on a flight in 24 hours headed that way. I just want to know what I am getting into?It was open last night but they raised prices . It's now 25/35 R

Cho 637
03-04-08, 11:47
Yes, got one of these flights for myself, and a few more for friends

I am in Curitiba right now. For under R$ 300 total round trip with tax and insurance included.

Even Rio residents deserve some sex tourism elsewhere. I probably will go again in a few weeks. If someone wants to join, get in touch with me. If a Rio resident goes there for fun it must be good!

I am sorry I did not buy more of these tickets in advance. too late now

By the way, Rio visitors, get in touch and stop over when you come. I even have rental suites in my place 2 blocks from Help in case you are interested. But you are very welcome just to stop over and say hi.

Gol has a new sale going on now: Buy a RT ticket but only pay for one-way. The only problem (like I said before) is that it is only available on the Brazilian page. It will still let you book it but when you try to use an international credit card, they ask for a CPF number. You either need someone with a Brazilian credit card or be Brazilian. BTW, the specials prices are only available between 10pm and 6am.

Leungcha
03-07-08, 06:12
Gol has a new sale going on now: Buy a RT ticket but only pay for one-way. The only problem (like I said before) is that it is only available on the Brazilian page. It will still let you book it but when you try to use an international credit card, they ask for a CPF number. You either need someone with a Brazilian credit card or be Brazilian. BTW, the specials prices are only available between 10pm and 6am.Today I bought a RT ticket from Sao Paulo to Salvador for R$ 451 + tax. I paid with my international Mastercard and used the Mastercard Secure Code which allows Gol to verify the transaction with my bank realtime.

Cho 637
03-08-08, 10:31
Today I bought a RT ticket from Sao Paulo to Salvador for R$ 451 + tax. I paid with my international Mastercard and used the Mastercard Secure Code which allows Gol to verify the transaction with my bank realtime.

Gol has changed again! I used my international card for a ticket from Rio to Salvador (R396) and they didn't ask for a cpf number!

Off Road
03-08-08, 16:44
Gol has changed again! I used my international card for a ticket from Rio to Salvador (R396) and they didn't ask for a cpf number!
Did you select ´Other Country´ when looking at the site? that was the only way you used to be able to use an international credit card. I hope they fixed that, although it did not seem to matter as far as rates (did not look for the promo though).

Cho 637
03-08-08, 18:32
Did you select ´Other Country´ when looking at the site? that was the only way you used to be able to use an international credit card. I hope they fixed that, although it did not seem to matter as far as rates (did not look for the promo though).

Did not use "Other country". Used "Brazil". This is the only way to get the promotions. It is on the home page (promotion #1). Originally I could not use Brazil but I had a problem making another reservation and called customer care. That is when they told me that I did not need a cpf. However, after I went through the process, when it came time to submit my payment info, the page did not change so they had to enter it manually. I have the reservation but I will pay for it at the airport.

Ricker
03-08-08, 19:06
By the way, I speak pretty good spanish and had no problem comunicating in Brazil.

Was kind of fun having the garotas help me convert my spanish to portugues.

They got me motivated to study Portugues. I'm heading back tonite, I'll see what grades they give me :)

Rio Bob
03-12-08, 21:45
I am taking a Portuguese class at the local college. We usually start class with a 10-minute discussion of various topics. Today, my professor suggested we talk about one of the following topics: (1) NY Governor Elliot Spitzer (from the cover of a newspaper he found on the train, (2) Hillary Clinton, and (3) summer in town. Topic #2 was way to hot to touch, and I was especially careful to persuade the class away from #1 for fear that I use some of the specialized vocabulary I have learned here on the Forum. Imagine the following conversation: Spitzer spent $5400 on call girls. Me: "Man, I know where he could have gotten better service for R$100 in Centro..."

Well, the news casters can't get over that it has been reported that he has spent $80,000 on call girls. They wern't clear as to how many years that was but at a rate of $4,500 short term it wouldn't take long to reach that. When I heard it it didn't sound too out of pocket, in the last 10 years I must have spent close to that including airfare/hotels/girls, no problem. in Rio.

RexG
03-13-08, 03:58
In learning more about how Spitzer got caught, I realize how naive I have been in using cash to finance my mongering and other expenses. This recent news has made it painfully obvious that banks are required to report "suspicious activity" to the IRS. I guess the main suspicion is money laundering. So now I am wondering if my numerous cash withdrawls consitute suspicious activity. I don't keep close track of these things, but over the course of a year, I probably withdraw a significant sum (>$10,000??) in cash. I take two or three trips to Brazil and other mongering sites. Prior to each trip I withdraw a significant amount of cash. Then during the trip I hit the ATM's frequently. (I often return home with much of the cash that I withdrew prior to the trip, because I don't like to use the money changers.) And at home in the US, I will withdraw cash for an occasional visit to a pro. And I do other things in cash like give some to my grown son who has a chronic cash flow problem. Now I am getting paranoid. I freely admit that I have been very naive in my use of cash, but it really pisses me off that the feds might charge me with a felony. (I am not involved in money laundering.) Does my behavior constitute suspicious activity? I googled this topic. Apparently, if the feds think that a large cash transaction ($10,000) has been broken up into small amounts, then they become suspicious.

The Watcher
03-13-08, 06:02
Apparently, if the feds think that a large cash transaction ($10,000) has been broken up into small amounts, then they become suspicious.

You should have no problems with the activities you describe unless, like Spitzer, you have made somebody in government mad at you.

First, Spitzer was targeted because his transactions would not have created suspicion in any other person. Moving money around to keep your wife from finding out you are paying hookers is not what the law is intended to prevent.

Second, even if Spitzer was not targeted and his transactions generated a true suspicion, the transactions that you describe do not fall into the same category as his. Spitzer was wiring money to his other accounts as well as to the account of the escort service. This leaves a paper trail. All you are doing is withdrawing money and putting it back in the same account - no paper trail.

Finally, Spitzer left another paper trail (text messages) as well as an oral trail - his voice was recognized on a wiretap. I assume you are not doing this. On the other hand, even if you are doing this, your Rio activities are outside the jurisdiction of the US under even the most liberal interpretation of the Patriot Act.

Accordingly, you have no reason to worry UNLESS you have made somebody in government mad at you.

Jan 156
03-13-08, 06:52
but seeing as no-one gives a damn, here's a url of the singer identified as the escort spitzer got done for. And to think I had a problem working out what he was being charged with at first. Guess it wasn't illegal downloads. She looks and sounds quite nice (cue long discussion of whether she's worth the money, with nodding reference to Brasil of course, in lieu of reports.) http://amiestreet.com/ashleyalexandradupre

Cho 637
03-13-08, 07:40
I was told that he has a really abrasive personality and that he has pissed off a lot of people. Might have something to do with it?

Trash Talking
03-17-08, 09:38
I can't seem to get any of the translators to tell me what FAÇO is.

Canuck9970
03-17-08, 17:54
Faco anal = does anal (faco is form of the verb "fazer")

Lorenzo
03-17-08, 19:29
It means "I do anal." "Does anal" would be "faz anal."

Edward M
03-18-08, 01:42
I can't seem to get any of the translators to tell me what FAÇO is.Are you joking? That is a very common Portuguese word. No translator should have any trouble with it. Are you saying "faço" or "faco"?

Cho 637
03-18-08, 08:30
Can anyone tell me if and where I can buy a sim card in Salvador? I'll be in Barra.

Prosal
03-18-08, 09:53
where I can buy a sim card in Salvador? I'll be in Barra.
Simply in Barra Shopping. It's the largest mall in Salvador.

Balluba
03-18-08, 18:43
Well, of course I know Mr Spitzners alias here in this site, and have had the pleasures to read his excellent posts. Very tasty, indeed.

Now, after todays statements from Mr Paterson, I wonder, what is his nickname here at ISG? Anyone?

George90
03-19-08, 01:55
Can anyone tell me if and where I can buy a sim card in Salvador? I'll be in Barra.

Yes. Anywhere.

The major Brazilian telecoms are TIM, Oi!, and another, whose name escapes me at the momemnt, all sell sim cards. They have kiosks and stores in all the shopping centers.

Shopping Iguatemi is the largest in Salvador, IMHO. You can find just about anything you want there.

Felipe2006
03-19-08, 02:21
Claro is the name of the third network. TIM works best imho. Check out promotions like free minutes etc - on my last trip I spent less than 10 Reais during a whole week (and I used my phone quite a lot).

Felipe

Quote: Originally Posted by Cho 637

Yes. Anywhere.

The major Brazilian telecoms are TIM, Oi!, and another, whose name escapes me at the momemnt, all sell sim cards. They have kiosks and stores in all the shopping centers.

Shopping Iguatemi is the largest in Salvador, IMHO. You can find just about anything you want there.

Cho 637
03-19-08, 03:26
Yes. Anywhere.

Prosal:

Simply in Barra Shopping. It's the largest mall in Salvador.

They must both be huge! :) Thanks!

Jan 156
03-19-08, 13:25
Article here on AIDS in Brasil for those interested:
http://www.economist.com/world/la/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10854276

Prosal
03-19-08, 13:37
They must both be huge! :) Thanks!
Both are huge indeed .. sites say 532 lojas in Shopping Iguatemi and 577 in Barra Shopping.

Yes, I have too much time on my hands today. :)

Cho 637
03-19-08, 23:09
Both are huge indeed .. sites say 532 lojas in Shopping Iguatemi and 577 in Barra Shopping.

Yes, I have too much time on my hands today. :)

Somtimes, I think that I do too! Can you tell me anything about Bar do Chico?

Prosal
03-20-08, 09:58
Can you tell me anything about Bar do Chico?
Never been there. Is it in Barra ?

A good regular posh bar I could recommend in Salvador is What's Up in Pituba. The place is crawling with hot women aged 20-30 most evenings, some very approachable. Music is the standart axe/MPB/electronic mix and atmosphere is usually great.

An option worth to check out if you're a non-pro player.

Cho 637
03-20-08, 16:54
Never been there. Is it in Barra ?

A good regular posh bar I could recommend in Salvador is What's Up in Pituba. The place is crawling with hot women aged 20-30 most evenings, some very approachable. Music is the standart axe/MPB/electronic mix and atmosphere is usually great.

An option worth to check out if you're a non-pro player.

Yes, in Barra: Bar do Chico

Especialidade: BOTECOS
Endereço: Rua Presidente Kennedy ,179 - Loja 5
Bairro: Barra
CEP: 40130-200
Telefone: 3336-3134 e 3267-4386
Horário:10h/1h (seg. a dom.)

Mr Enternational
03-23-08, 04:28
http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/brazil.html

Cho 637
03-23-08, 04:59
http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/brazil.html

Outstanding Info! Thanks! I have to add one thing though, I have never registered my phone with brazilian customs and have never had a problem. Also Claro and TIM have never asked me for a cpf. I too have had the easiest experience with Claro. Looks like Oi has the best rates.

Java Man
03-23-08, 07:35
Outstanding Info! Thanks! I have to add one thing though, I have never registered my phone with brazilian customs and have never had a problem. Also Claro and TIM have never asked me for a cpf. I too have had the easiest experience with Claro. Looks like Oi has the best rates.

Likewise, I've never registered my phone with customs and no problems. I've used a local to buy the sim chips, told them phone was purchased outside Brazil, and was not asked for documentation. This was at a Claro store in Rio Sul.
Buy them at Lojas Americanas, they do not ask for ID. Going that route requires calling the Phone company to setup the phone.

Off Road
03-23-08, 18:02
http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/brazil.htmlThe prices seem high. I know TIM charges R$17 total for a chip and it comes with R$3 credit. There is no need to register your phone any more, that was something they did years back.

Easiest is to bring your phone, unlocked, go to a Local store here with your passport (original) and purchase a chip. It is that simple. TIM, Clairo or Oi.
TIM seems to have the best reception in Copa. There are plenty of stores all along NS Copacabana, Or in the shopping malls.

The Watcher
03-24-08, 02:25
Likewise, I've never registered my phone with customs and no problems. I've used a local to buy the sim chips, told them phone was purchased outside Brazil, and was not asked for documentation. This was at a Claro store in Rio Sul.
Buy them at Lojas Americanas, they do not ask for ID. Going that route requires calling the Phone company to setup the phone.

If your phone has a chip, you do not need to register the phone with customs. I have several friends who have chip phones who have not had any problem with obtaining a chip in Rio. Also, the local stores are also good at unlocking phones.

If, however, your phone does not have a chip and you want to use Vivo in Rio, you will need to register your phone.

My U.S. phone is with Verizon which uses CDMA technology. Vivo is the only service in Rio that uses CDMA technology so I therefore have to use Vivo. I was required to register my phone at customs before I could get a number in Rio. I also used a friend who lives in Rio to register the phone in his name. I do not think I could have received a number in my own name.

In other words, the easiest way to use a cell phone in Rio is to use a phone with a chip.

Cho 637
03-24-08, 04:37
The prices seem high. I know TIM charges R$17 total for a chip and it comes with R$3 credit. There is no need to register your phone any more, that was something they did years back.

Easiest is to bring your phone, unlocked, go to a Local store here with your passport (original) and purchase a chip. It is that simple. TIM, Clairo or Oi.
TIM seems to have the best reception in Copa. There are plenty of stores all along NS Copacabana, Or in the shopping malls.

Always used color a copy of my passport. I don't carry the original. Also a copy of my visa, but never had to use it.

Exec Talent
03-24-08, 05:39
There is a separate thread on cell phones for those interested. My advice there and my advice here is the same. Buy a cheap phone in Rio. Do not bring your expensive US phone to Brazil and put a local chip in it.

Brazilians get their cell phones stolen all the time. Imagine if you are an American with an expensive phone?

This is one of those things where the idea seem right but people forget that they aren't in Kansas anymore.

Tjmee
03-24-08, 08:09
Do they have 2 yr contracts like they do in the USA?

Off Road
03-24-08, 20:47
Always used color a copy of my passport. I don't carry the original. Also a copy of my visa, but never had to use it.
You will need your original passport at TIM.

Off Road
03-24-08, 20:48
Do they have 2 yr contracts like they do in the USA?No long term contracts for cell phones, just a fortune. To get a post-pay account (monthly bill) you have to be a resident. Otherwise it is pay as you go with pre-pay cards.

Tjmee
03-24-08, 21:59
Just a fortune, meaning. A lot of money every month or?

Jan 156
03-25-08, 20:57
Originally Posted by Cho 637
You will need your original passport at TIM.

I've used both. I generally carry a colour copy like Cho637 and have used it at TIM in Rio Sul. But now I tend to take my actual passport on short trips specifically to places that I know ask for it like a phone shop. Although they have accepted my colour copy at TIM (I do it double-sided by the way so it has all the info they need) there's no saying that a different manager might ask for the original.

Cho 637
03-26-08, 07:57
I know this should be in the Salvador thread, but I need a quick answer. Who gives the best rate in Salvador, an ATM or cambio? The thread tells where the ATM's are but not the cambios.

Off Road
03-26-08, 13:59
I've used both. I generally carry a colour copy like Cho637 and have used it at TIM in Rio Sul. But now I tend to take my actual passport on short trips specifically to places that I know ask for it like a phone shop. Although they have accepted my colour copy at TIM (I do it double-sided by the way so it has all the info they need) there's no saying that a different manager might ask for the original.Yeah, I carry a color copy like you, passport page and visa page, but the TIM on NS Copa and Sigueira Campos and on on NS Copa closer to Help have insisted on the original three separate times, causing a trip back to apartment the first two times. So to be safe, just for this task, I suggest taking an orginal. Brazil is funny like this.

Benjoe
03-28-08, 00:54
I landed and went to the immigration official. He looked at the computer screen and told me that I could only stay 8 days. This fiscal year I’ve stayed twice in Brazil for only about 22 total days; I was nowhere close to the 180 day limit. This was my third stay, and I was ticketed to stay 12 days. The agent called over a supervisor, and he just stared at the screen and didn’t say anything. He just shrugged his shoulders. The agent told me to go to the federal police office on Monday and handed me the form, on which he didn’t fill-in 8 days. He spoke only in Portuguese. I’ve learned (thanks to you guys) never to speak Portuguese to these guys. When I’ve spoken Portuguese, they always ask me how long I am staying, and they will write in whatever I say. Speaking English, I get the 90 days, which I never need anyway.

I go the federal police office, thinking I was going to need a visa extension. Before going to the airport office, I printed out the form that was reported here and even paid the 67 reais at a bank. However, when I spoke to the official, he motions me over to the computer and has me look at my record. He says there is nothing he could do. He admits that I haven’t hit the 180 day limit (which they count according to the fiscal year), and I am not even close. But he can’t change the 8 day stay. However, he noted that the form wasn’t filled-in and can be read as a 90 day stay. He told me (speaking to me in English) that when I left the country to say to the official that I didn’t understand anything the original official said and that I understood the form to mean 90 days. Moreover, I never came to this office and spoke to him. He brought me over to another official, and he said the same thing, except he added that the worse thing they could do to me was make me pay 9 reais for every day that I over-stayed – 3 days. The day that you leave isn’t counted as a day. The two said the exit agent wouldn’t even look at the computer and the computer record. They said that the agent will just look at the form and stamp it.

When I went to leave the country, the agent did indeed scan my passport into the computer and read the computer screen. He told me in Portuguese that I was 3 days late. I didn’t say anything. He called over a supervisor, and he looked at the computer screen, shrugged and walked away. The agent then just said something like, “Simplesmente,” and stamped my passport. I guess the simplest thing to do was to let me go.

One Eyed Man
03-28-08, 03:40
I landed and went to the immigration official. He looked at the computer screen and told me that I could only stay 8 days. This fiscal year I’ve stayed twice in Brazil for only about 22 total days; I was nowhere close to the 180 day limit.

I've had similar problems. If one of your entries or exits has not been entered into their computer system, it can look as if you've overstayed your visa. The one border official I encountered did listen to reason, and speaking Portuguese did help. I believe he told me that it's the stamps in your passport that matter (and don't lie.) Still, the last time I was in Brazil, they wrote the number "30" in the rightmost box in the visa stamp, which I believe meant that my stay was limited to 30 days. Maybe you hit a hard ass. The moral of the story is to keep close track of your entry-exit form and ensure you hand it in when you leave the country so you don't get jammed up.

Bravo
03-28-08, 03:49
Since their records say you have overstayed your limit, I wonder if you will be let back into Brazil in 2008. Please let us know.

Benjoe
03-28-08, 12:29
I've had similar problems. If one of your entries or exits has not been entered into their computer system, it can look as if you've overstayed your visa. The one border official I encountered did listen to reason, and speaking Portuguese did help. I believe he told me that it's the stamps in your passport that matter (and don't lie.) Still, the last time I was in Brazil, they wrote the number "30" in the rightmost box in the visa stamp, which I believe meant that my stay was limited to 30 days. Maybe you hit a hard ass. The moral of the story is to keep close track of your entry-exit form and ensure you hand it in when you leave the country so you don't get jammed up.

The computer had to miss both trips. Even one 90 stay wouldn't put me over 180 days. Plus, if the computer missed both, I hit the 180 days, and they shouldn't allow me to stay even 8 days. I didn't encounter any hard asses. Everyone was sympathetic. The agents at the airport office told me to play dumb and evade what the computer said. The only hardass was the computer. Evidently, a human cannot correct an error made by the computer. The agents at the office went through all my stamps and agreed that I did nothing wrong. Fortunately, the orignial agent didn't wite "8" on my immigration card or on the passport stamp. If everyone goes by the stamps, I had a 90 stay and not an 8 day stay.

I may go in September, which gives me a clean slate for the next fiscal year.

The agent showed me my record on the computer screen and even gave me a printout. There was no listing of my previous stays and how long I stayed. Maybe, somewhere else in the computer records, there is this information, but the agents only have access to what I was seeing. And they had no way of correcting anything. The record has the information you gave them on your visa application even a digitization of the photograph. Beyond your personal information, your record simply lists the day you entered and the number of days you are allowed to stay and that's it. Apparently, the computer decides how many days that you stay now -- it's not up to the discretion of the agent. The agent just goes by what the computer says. Maybe, that's why at Rio there are a bunch of students or trainee-types doing immigration -- not the old-timers. The student-types just do what the computer tells them. There seems to be one old-timer overseeing the student-types, but even he can't override the computer. There are twice as many agents (the student-type variety) now, making the immigration line move much more quickly both in and out of the country. The customs lines have been long and a pain in the ass.

Fortunately, the agent didn't write 8 days on the card or my passport stamp. If he did, I was screwed. If future agents only go by the stamps, I'm clear. It's the computer and how it decides how many days you can stay that has me and even the agents stumped.

George90
03-28-08, 20:36
The computer had to miss both trips. Even one 90 stay wouldn't put me over 180 days. Plus, if the computer missed both, I hit the 180 days, and they shouldn't allow me to stay even 8 days. I didn't encounter any hard asses. Everyone was sympathetic. The agents at the airport office told me to play dumb and evade what the computer said. The only hardass was the computer. Evidently, a human cannot correct an error made by the computer. The agents at the office went through all my stamps and agreed that I did nothing wrong. Fortunately, the orignial agent didn't wite "8" on my immigration card or on the passport stamp. If everyone goes by the stamps, I had a 90 stay and not an 8 day stay.

Benjoe,

I suspect you have misundertood how the Brazilian visa system operates. Please correct any errors in what I am going to explain. I make assumptions about your travel.

Whether you are American or Canadian and need a visa to enter or are Euopean and have a visa waiver, the tourist visa is good for 90 days from the first date of entry. The 180 days is a maximum total for all stays in Brazil in the fiscal year. It is not given automatically; only the 90 day stay is given automatically.

You wrote that you made 2 trips. If the second trip was made within 90 days of the first trip, then you can use the same visa. But you will only have a stay limited to the remaining days left until the 90 are exhausted. If you made your third (current?) trip within the 90 day limit , then again you could use the same visa but again must leave within the 90 day limit from the date of your first trip.

I believe that is what happened. You entered Brazil on your third trip 82 days from the the date you entered on your first trip for that visa. Therefore you would have to leave within 8 days. Brazilian immigration was correct.

I suspect the airline you used didn't check your visa closely. If it expired during your trip, as yours did, they should not have let you check-in and board the plane. I once made a trip for a 7 day stay in the last 10 days of a visa. Both the airline (TAM) and Brazilian immigration called supervisors and triple counted the days remaining on my visa. Immigration warned me not to stay longer than I planned to.

Benjoe
03-28-08, 22:27
Benjoe,

I suspect you have misundertood how the Brazilian visa system operates. Please correct any errors in what I am going to explain. I make assumptions about your travel.

Whether you are American or Canadian and need a visa to enter or are Euopean and have a visa waiver, the tourist visa is good for 90 days from the first date of entry. The 180 days is a maximum total for all stays in Brazil in the fiscal year. It is not given automatically; only the 90 day stay is given automatically.

You wrote that you made 2 trips. If the second trip was made within 90 days of the first trip, then you can use the same visa. But you will only have a stay limited to the remaining days left until the 90 are exhausted. If you made your third (current?) trip within the 90 day limit , then again you could use the same visa but again must leave within the 90 day limit from the date of your first trip.

I believe that is what happened. You entered Brazil on your third trip 82 days from the the date you entered on your first trip for that visa. Therefore you would have to leave within 8 days. Brazilian immigration was correct.

I suspect the airline you used didn't check your visa closely. If it expired during your trip, as yours did, they should not have let you check-in and board the plane. I once made a trip for a 7 day stay in the last 10 days of a visa. Both the airline (TAM) and Brazilian immigration called supervisors and triple counted the days remaining on my visa. Immigration warned me not to stay longer than I planned to.

I apologize for not mentioning that I have a 5 year visa with 4 years to go. This trip in March was my 3rd this fiscal year; September for about 10 days and December for about 9 days. 90 days are not given automatically. It is at the discretion of the agent, but now I think it is at the discretion of the computer more so than the agent. I used to speak Portuguese to the agents at Rio, and they would ask how long I was staying and write whatever I said minus one day; a couple of times I said 5 days, and they would write in 4 days (They don't count the day that you leave.). After reading this board, it became apparent that when you spoke Portuguese, the agents suspected you were on a business trip disguised as a tourist trip. After no longer speaking English, I've been given the stamp without anything being written on it -- meaning 90 days. Thanks, guys.

Sperto
03-29-08, 15:53
"Tropa de Elite", this year’s winner of the Golden Bear for Best Film, is already mentioned here before. Excellent movie which gives a good insight on the police corruption, crime and violence in Rio.

Most parts of the favela scenes are filmed in the favela Babilônia, in Leme. Also Orfeu Negro was filmed in Babilônia. It's quite interesting to go up in Babilônia and see some of the places of the scenes from the movie. The windling road, the square which hold the baile funk, the rooftop from which Neto and Matias sniped the gangster etc.

I consider Babilônia to be a relatively safe favela to visit. Much calmer than the neighbouring Chapéu Mangueira.

Benjoe
03-29-08, 16:19
"Tropa de Elite", this year’s winner of the Golden Bear for Best Film, is already mentioned here before. Excellent movie which gives a good insight on the police corruption, crime and violence in Rio.

Most parts of the favela scenes are filmed in the favela Babilônia, in Leme. Also Orfeu Negro was filmed in Babilônia. It's quite interesting to go up in Babilônia and see some of the places of the scenes from the movie. The windling road, the square which hold the baile funk, the rooftop from which Neto and Matias sniped the gangster etc.

I consider Babilônia to be a relatively safe favela to visit. Much calmer than the neighbouring Chapéu Mangueira.
Great film. If you need English subtitles, don't buy the dvd in Brazil. It doesn't have English subtitles. You will need to buy the European (British) version or wait for the dvd to come to the USA.

George90
03-29-08, 16:28
I apologize for not mentioning that I have a 5 year visa with 4 years to go. This trip in March was my 3rd this fiscal year; September for about 10 days and December for about 9 days.

Then, clearly, what I wrote below does not apply to you.

Jan 156
03-30-08, 02:51

I don't usually disagree with Sperto - he probably knows RJ much better than I do - but I beg to differ on this occasion having discussed the film with film industry people I met in Rio. I think I've mentioned it before. It presents a very skewed picture of Rio. There's lots of great Brasilian films - Central Station and Casa de Alice to name a couple. I think Berlin was conned (and it had a particularly bad showing of films this year, which is why most people think T/El won).

Madd Love
03-30-08, 06:09

Also see the preview of "City of Men"

http://www.cityofmen-themovie.com/

Off Road
03-30-08, 12:23
I don't usually disagree with Sperto - he probably knows RJ much better than I do - but I beg to differ on this occasion having discussed the film with film industry people I met in Rio. I think I've mentioned it before. It presents a very skewed picture of Rio. There's lots of great Brasilian films - Central Station and Casa de Alice to name a couple. I think Berlin was conned (and it had a particularly bad showing of films this year, which is why most people think T/El won).
I have watched this with a few brazilians. They say the film is fairly accurate, but dated. The BOPE is feared by all of them.

Jesuscola
03-30-08, 13:18
I have watched this with a few brazilians. They say the film is fairly accurate, but dated. The BOPE is feared by all of them.

I have spoken with Brazilians in a position to know, and they have all said the film is fairly accurate.

Bravo
03-30-08, 17:59

What was "Orfeu Negro" about? Is it a good film to purchase?

Jan 156
03-30-08, 18:33
What was "Orfeu Negro" about? Is it a good film to purchase?

It's a classic from 1958 (usually known as Black Orpheus). The reason I didn't mention it is that Casa de Alice and Central Station are modern films that give good insight into ordinary life in Brasil. The Berlin winner can be 'accurate' - especially past tense - but still a nasty piece of gratuitous filmmaking.

Sunset Strip
03-30-08, 19:26
Yes, Black Orpheus should be bought by any serious fan of Brazil. This movie will make you fall in love with Rio again and again. Black Orpheus won an Academy Award for best foreign film and is an international classic!

Also, see Amor Bandido, a very gritty 80s film about a young killer in Copacabana. The film is set in many of the sex clubs of Copacabana.

TJ

Rio Lover #2
03-30-08, 22:22
Also see the preview of "City of Men"

http://www.cityofmen-themovie.com/

Madd Love,

Do you happen to know the original title in Portuguese?

THX RL

Sunset Strip
03-30-08, 22:33
Rio lover,

Cidade dos Homens is the protuguese title

This was a tv show that was popular in Brazil and the US.
You can get the DVDs of the entire serious on amazon for about $25.

TJ

Madd Love
03-31-08, 07:35
Thanks for putting the original Portugese title up for City of Men.

Here are some links to Brazilian Adult blogs similar to this sex guide blog,
The only thing its in all Portugese if you understand Portugese.

http://www.gpguia.net/phpbb/phpbb2/index.php
http://gpmania.com/
http://www.forumsd.com.br/phpBB/index.php (This one has a lot of info and discussion on Acompanhantes of different cities in Brazil with some phone numbers)
http://www.wsgbr.com.br/
http://nossoforum.com/phpBB3/

Some Brazilian Websites:
http://www.nuasempublico.com.br/
http://www.voyeurfilmes.com.br/paginas/filmestodos.htm
Fernanda Galan Check out her video and photos http://www.fergalan.xpg.com.br/

Magic2000
03-31-08, 11:39
I am British and going to Brasil in the next 8 weeks and my passport expires in December 2008 which leaves about 6 months to expire. Does anyone know if the Brasil customs will give me any problems as they expiry is quite soon. I plan to stay for 10 weeks. I know the official rule is 6 months but just wondered if anyone had any different experiences.

Thanks Magic

Flexinbk
03-31-08, 13:33
Anybody know where I can Casa de Alice with or without subtitles?

Jan 156
03-31-08, 21:23
Anybody know where I can Casa de Alice with or without subtitles?

It was on limited release in the US in January. I think it's just done the Cleveland Festival. I looked on the Net and it's on this coming week in San Diego.

What I liked about it was it's a slice of life of ordinary lower middle class Brasilians. It's by seeing people similar to ourselves that we can relate to Brasil; not through hoodlums, hookers, criminals and drug-runners; that we can see the rich emotional differences of Brasilian attitudes and psyche. I'm sick of seeing Brasilians depicted as maladros for mainstream cinema. Or even the stylised overdone images of the telenovas.

Hope you manage to catch it on a screen somewhere. Probably not out on DVD yet (legally anyway).

You may see it billed as 'Alice's House', of course

Rio Lover #2
03-31-08, 22:02
Rio lover,

Cidade dos Homens is the protuguese title

This was a tv show that was popular in Brazil and the US.
You can get the DVDs of the entire serious on amazon for about $25.

TJ

Thanks TJ for the info,

RL

Flexinbk
04-02-08, 04:03
It was on limited release in the US in January. I think it's just done the Cleveland Festival. I looked on the Net and it's on this coming week in San Diego.I did get to see in NY, but would like to see it again, like you said it's a movie about regular people who do normal things. I know I missed some of the subtler points of the film

Samanta
04-02-08, 23:44
Brazil Ditches Portuguese and Adopts Brazilian as Official Language

http://www.brazzilmag.com/content/view/9217/

RonnyRon
04-03-08, 03:24
That's kind of like HELP closing! Not going to happen anytime soon.

RR

Exec Talent
04-03-08, 04:10
Brazil Ditches Portuguese and Adopts Brazilian as Official Language

http://www.brazzilmag.com/content/view/9217/

Did you not see that at the end of the article?

The Watcher
04-04-08, 17:51
You need to delete some of your private messages because your folder is full.

Thanos
04-08-08, 18:34
That's kind of like HELP closing! Not going to happen anytime soon.

RRThe new rumored date for closing is April 25th.

RonnyRon
04-09-08, 01:37
Well, if it does I'll be in town for the last dance.

RonnyRon

Madd Love
04-10-08, 00:22
eastern europe faces the growing risk of a ''hard landing" as the world's financial crisis spreads wider, with serious spill-over dangers for scandinavian, italian and austria banks that have lent heavily to the region, the imf has warned.

current account deficits have reached extreme levels across much of the ex-soviet bloc, hitting 22.9pc in latvia, 21.4pc in bulgaria, 16.5pc in serbia, 16pc in estonia, 14.5pc in romania and 13.3pc in lithuania.

"eastern europe has a cluster of countries with current account deficits financed by private debt or portfolio flows, where domestic credit has grown rapidly. a global slowdown, or a sharp drop in capital flows to emerging markets, could force a painful adjustment," said the fund in its global financial stability report.

the imf said lenders in eastern europe had built up "large negative net foreign positions" during the boom, especially in the baltic states. "liquidity for these banks has all but dried up and [interest] spreads have widened 500 basis points."

many of these countries rely on credit from branches of west european and nordic banks, but these foreign lenders are having difficulty raising money on the global capital markets.

a soft landing for the baltics and south-eastern europe could be jeopardised if external financing conditions force parent banks to contract credit to the region. swedish banks, the main suppliers of external funding to the baltics, could come under pressure," it said.

the imf cited dexia, natixis, raiffeisen, danske bank, swedbank, handlesbanken, nordea, seb, intesa sanpaulo and rabobank as institutions that raise over 30pc or more of their money on the wholesale capital markets, and may therefore face constraints.

belgium's dexia is over 65pc reliant on this sort of funding. the swedish banks are most vulnerable as the average debt maturity on their funds is less than four years. in bulgaria and romania there is a "danger that local banks may underestimate the deterioration in the quality of loan portfolios that often accompanies rapid credit growth".

private credit grew 62pc in bulgaria last year, 60.4pc in romania, 55.2pc in kazakhstan, 45pc across the baltics and 39.6pc in poland. all are above the safe speed limit.

the rapid growth of corporate debt issued by emerging market companies may prove a mixed blessing if the crisis persists, opening a "new potential channel of contagion".

so far, capital flows into these markets have held up well, often supported by the "carry trade" from japan, switzerland, and now the us. this may prove fragile.

Cho 637
04-17-08, 17:45
May issue of Ebony Magazine:

Brazil, More Than Just Sex on the Beach.

Bravo
04-17-08, 19:02

Oh Jeez!! I guess I can brace myself for the onslaught of phone calls I will be receiving to discuss this article!!

Flexinbk
04-18-08, 03:37

Brazil, More Than Just Sex on the Beach.Got a chance to quickly read the article and it just a book review/interview with the author(s). It stirring up shit for those who might have forgotten that the book exists.

Cho 637
04-18-08, 07:19
Got a chance to quickly read the article and it just a book review/interview with the author(s). It stirring up shit for those who might have forgotten that the book exists.

I agree. I just read it and the author seeks to use "group dynamics" (afro-american men and women) to justify writing it.

Acenva
04-18-08, 12:17

Brazil, More Than Just Sex on the Beach.I read the article the other day. I did not like the article. More bad press for going to Brazil. Why not just let us have our fun. We would stay home if the women in America would look, and treat us like the women down there do. I miss my second home and will be back in a couple months.

Just my 2 cents.

Samanta
04-18-08, 22:55

Brazil, More Than Just Sex on the Beach.Just what we need!

I don't understand why guys go to Brazil and come back write books and make all this public attention in magazines and sh*t. Next we will be watching it on CNN or BET. I must admit some guys are stupid.

Madd Love
04-18-08, 22:58

Why are fellas writing about this in the media????

Does it make sense???

Can't we keep things to ourselves!!!!

Cho 637
04-19-08, 08:45
Just what we need!

I don't understand why guys go to Brazil and come back write books and make all this public attention in magazines and sh*t. Next we will be watching it on CNN or BET. I must admit some guys are stupid.

I do not think that this individual even went to Brazil.
The book was written to make money, pure and simple.
They are appealing to the Jerry Springer crowd.

Antoekneeo
04-20-08, 09:54
Does anyone know where in Brazil one might be able to find Pornstar "Luana". She has done a handful of films, I have included a link to a film(boxcover) she did with Justin Slayer. I hope someone can help me out.

Thanks.

http://evilangel.com/images/boxcovers/slr-BBR3_dvdc.jpg

Brazil Specialist
04-20-08, 13:06
Do they have 2 yr contracts like they do in the USA?

They actually do. In exchange you get cheaper phones (like in the USA) and cheaper rates (well not like in the USA but cheaper)

I got a Motorola Q for a little over R$ 100, a Nokia E 62 for about the same price. But I have to fork over R$ 270 a month to Vivo for Data and Voice plan.

I pay about R$ 0.35 per minute of calls, but with all kinds of small print. Especially, whatever minutes I don't use I lose them at the end of the month

There also was a time I paid my monthly (reduced) dues for an entire year without usage, just to keep my plan and my number.

I also got a free modem from Tim in exchange for a 18 month commitment for their 1 Gigabyte per month data plan. Anyone wants to take this over or rent it? I only use it to read newspapers and get email on my iphone.

As far as you guys are concerned, that don't live here, get your prepaid-no-committment sim cards.

BionicMan
04-20-08, 21:59
I don't understand why guys go to Brazil and come back write books and make all this public attention in magazines and sh*t. Next we will be watching it on CNN or BET.

Don't worry, now CNN will be very busy with Quest' reports from Sex in Central Park, NYC...

Dub624
04-21-08, 07:33

Brazil, More Than Just Sex on the Beach.We need everybody to write the magazine and assert that this is the vivid imaginition of the author. That we are regular tourists visiting Christ the Redeemer, taking a tram ride, hanging out at the beach, visiting museums in centro and taking in Samba shows and soccer matches. Yes we do meet friendly Brazilians of both sexes and some would like to hang out with us, because we are friendly too.

Exec Talent
04-21-08, 11:28
We need everybody to write the magazine and assert that this is the vivid imaginition of the author. That we are regular tourists visiting Christ the Redeemer, taking a tram ride, hanging out at the beach, visiting museums in centro and taking in Samba shows and soccer matches. Yes we do meet friendly Brazilians of both sexes and some would like to hang out with us, because we are friendly too.

Guys go to Rio for sex? And, here I thought it was just to see that Christ thingee and visit that rock where they shot the scene from the James Bond movie. Wasn't the Christ thingee named the next Stevie Wonder, or something?

Jan 156
04-24-08, 14:14
Are the samba schools such as beija flor, grande rio etc open all year round? Are they open on certain days?

They practice for the six months prior to Carnaval as far as I remember, so not just yet. Most of them are in 'dodgy' areas - not favelas, but places you maybe won't want to go without a carioca friend or someone unless you know your way round well. Beija Flor is in Nilopolis, which is about two hours drive from Rio Sul. If you go to the tourist info on Princesa Isabel they can put you in touch with a small agency that will take you to a practice night. There'll be over a thousand people probably - don't flash expensive phones etc unless you know it is safe. If you go on your own the entrance fee is nominal - a few reis. The dance practices at the schools are the best if you are very into samba (rather than just watching). Some nights might just be a drumming practice though. If you want something more 'controlled' and in a safe environment with definitely posh dancing, go to Sambadrome, a mile or so north-west of Centro (all year round). Hope this helps.

Centaurus
04-24-08, 20:25
It's too early in the year, but there are two samba-schools that are quite safe to go to on your own, and they are probably also the closest to Zona Sul: Vila Isabel and Salgueiro. Both are close to the Maracana stadium in Zona Norte, something like a 20-30 minute taxi ride from Copacabana. Taxis should know both.

Vila Isabel is probably the safest of all because their quadra sits right on a major street (Av. 28 de Setembro in Vila Isabel), a taxi can drop you right at the entrance. Vila Isabel is a lower middle class neighborhood. Not sure what their traditional day for the trainings (ensaios) is, but that should be easy to find out. Sometimes their traditional (ex-) main singer, Martinho da Vila, gives a show in the quadra. Definitely a reason to go.

I am a big fan of Salgueiro. They have their ensaios on Saturdays, and they are also quite ok to get to alone. It's a bit more tricky, because they close off a whole little street (Rua Silvo Teles, in Andarai) for the ensaios. The taxi will drop you off at either end of this street. The street will be full of people, you'll stay outside and have a caipi at a stand on the street until 11. 30 or so, the quadra sits right in the middle of this little street. A lot of middle class kids go to the ensaios of Salgueiro (besides the "locals" from Andarai), the same crowd could hang out in Ipanema. Unfortunately, there are also busloads of tourists who stay there for an hour or two. Just go late enough.

I one went to Imperatriz, but that's way out on Avenida Brasil. Definitely more complicated to get to and much less safe. But then, being the only Gringo at an ensaio can be risky, but also quite rewarding.

EDITOR'S NOTE: I would suggest that the author or another Forum Member consider posting a link to this report in the Reports of Distinction thread. Please Click Here (http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/announcement-reportsofdistinction.php?) for more information.

Jan 156
04-25-08, 03:46
Thanks, Yes when I go to the areas by the schools I have no plans of wandering off into unsure areas. I am a fan of samba so thats my real purpose of going to the schools. I read that the sambadrome was very touristy, That could be wrong but when this happens it gets watered down and not authentic. Beija Flor is my favorite out of the schools so thats the one I really I want to see in person.

Yeah - I like Beija-Flor too. And they do seem to keep winning haha!

Sambadrome is touristy as hell, but at least you see them in full dress, get to see some floats and stuff. Awesome pics. (Beija-Flor were doing the float and dancing when I went). The audience was mostly elderly overweight Brasilians with equally fat wallets though, so when they get everyone 'up to dance' it's about as exciting as a kids party or an old people's home party.

Beija-Flor's stomping ground in Nilopolis is something else though. I hold it as one of my most 'authentic' Brasilian experiences haha! It's frickin' mental. Massive venue, all ages, spontaneous groups of 'challenge' dances. Kids letting off fireworks (safety standards = just being careful duh!) I went with a carioca and his girlfriend who's quite a good dancer. A young teenager whose feet moved faster than the eye could see slowed down to show her some steps. Advance official teashirts on sale. It's a poor area rather than a dodgy one, but when you come out of the samba practice in the early hours of the morning, although the mainstreet is still buzzing, it can be kinda nice knowing exactly how you're gonna get home :-)

I think I put some pics up of both venues some time ago in the photo section. btw I watched Black Orpheus the other day - fabulous movie and great samba - the spontaneous sort - and lots of insighths into RJ.

Sprite13
04-26-08, 04:44
Great info guys on the Samba schools. I'm going to Brasil and Rio in June and this would be one of my main plans: to actually go into one of those ensaios. Btw, how safe/easy to access is Viradouro's ensaio in Niteroi/São Gonçalo? That's my team and I'd love to see them live, specially love the voice of their singer, Dominguinhos. A classic of carioca samba de enredos.

Also, is it true that the sambodromo has evening shows? Can someone post more info about them such as quality, type of events and all that?

One more question: how is the cidade de samba? Last time I was there, I read but unfortunately was short in time to check it is that they have several daily shows? How good are those shows?

Thanks guys for any feedback and tips on that. Much appreciated.

Valeu.

Jan 156
04-26-08, 09:27
Also, is it true that the sambodromo has evening shows? Can someone post more info about them such as quality, type of events and all that?

One more question: how is the cidade de samba? Last time I was there, I read but unfortunately was short in time to check it is that they have several daily shows? How good are those shows?

Can't believe no-one's picked me up on it - must have been falling asleep at the typewriter - where I've said 'sambadrome' below I meant cidade de samba. Desculpe!

Cidade do Samba has the evening shows that I mentioned below as very touristy but they are ok - better than plataforma. The shows are very good in the sense that they are proper performances by top dance schools - shows for a paying audience. It's also where the floats are built and housed now so you can enjoy looking round first.

Sambadrome is where the carnaval competition is. There's rehearsals there in the weeks leading up to carnaval (all free to watch). Not touristy at all and free. Went to a few of the big schools this year and they were fab. Can post some photos if there's interest. Most in the evening, some in the day. Times posted closer to the event. Never seen any shows at other times of the year.

Jan 156
04-26-08, 09:55
ok here goes . . .

The file names say which is which -

Sambodrome - rehearsal pics taken before carnaval this year. Sit on the concrete steps with thousands of supporters and watch the dance schools get it right ready for the big competition. Quiet the rest of the year as far as I know. West of Centro. Free.

Cidade do Samba - big custom-built place (looks a bit like a penitentiary from the outside) to the north-west of Centro. See some of a top dance school in full regalia, see the place where the floats are built, watch a stage show, follow the mini-parade. (Thu nights - see Cidade d.S post) Eat overpriced finger-food and mix with elderly well-off Brasilian tourists. Tourist prices.

Nilopolis - Beija-Flor's home, an hour or more drive north of Centro. Every week for six months prior to carnaval. A bit of a madhouse party. No supervision. Do what you like - preferably showing what samba you know (and then find out that tiny kids will know better). Get in party mode and enjoy the night. Not for total beginners. Best to go with a carioca or arrange pick up in the nearby street and don't take any bling. Cost - a few reis. The other dance schools (14 top ones in all) are a similar situation, most of them closer to the city.

Each is a totally different atmosphere. Please note that none of these venues cater to GDP gentlemen!

Jan 156
04-26-08, 10:37
here's a short vid - sorry, you'll have to crane your neck or turn your monitor on its side as i couldn't be bothered rotating it. nilopolis, beija flor party. look at the speed at which they dance! these are just kids off the block. remember these are family affairs, no gdps, just dancing and partying! this was taken with a mobile phone but i don't recommend you take posh mobile phones or cameras to nilopolis parties and if you do, only take them out when the cariocas you're with tell you it's safe. some of the related vids you'll see on the same page from others are much better quality and show beija-flor dance school at carnaval.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-fdwjvcsqq

Jan 156
04-26-08, 10:58
Here's some info off the website - it's the Thursday evening show that the pics below are from.

The doors of Samba City are open every day from 9h to 17h, except for Tuesdays which is used for maintenance of the compounds, and Thursdays which have a special show.

Until the start of December, visitors will be able to appreciate the wagons for the same years carnival, for each of the samba schools.

Guiding to see instruments, costumes, carnival carts and samba mini lessons can be done at 10h, 12h and 15h30.

Prices to visit is 20 Reais (about 10 US$) per person. Inhabitants of Rio de Janeiro, students and teachers of the Rio state pay half price.

Thursdays are special:, visiting hours are between mid-day (12h) and 17h. Tourists can buy tickets for 80 Reals (40 US$) to be apart of a carnival show. Starting at 21h with a pagode show (Type of music, similar to Samba, but slower). Then at 22h Cidade do Samba explodes with a mini carnival celebration. Parade with samba dancers moving, costumes and flag holders do a spectacular show, which is ended with fireworks and crowd applause!

Adress of Cidade do Samba / Samba City:
Rua Rivadavia Correa 60
Suburb Gamboa
Portuaria do Rio Zone.

To reserve or to get more information, use the following phone number:
+55-21-2213-2503

Benjoe
04-26-08, 14:58
here's a short vid - sorry, you'll have to crane your neck or turn your monitor on its side as i couldn't be bothered rotating it. nilopolis, beija flor party. look at the speed at which they dance! these are just kids off the block. remember these are family affairs, no gdps, just dancing and partying! this was taken with a mobile phone but i don't recommend you take posh mobile phones or cameras to nilopolis parties and if you do, only take them out when the cariocas you're with tell you it's safe. some of the related vids you'll see on the same page from others are much better quality and show beija-flor dance school at carnaval.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-fdwjvcsqq
there is a good number of beija-flor sambaistas at 4x4 and a few at solarium.

Sprite13
04-27-08, 05:53
Thank you very much for posting all this info on the Cidade de Samba!

Valeu.

Exec Talent
04-27-08, 12:19
Want to thank all those who regularly post information on topics outside the box (girls). With the quality of girls in Rio going down, it always is nice to have something else to do.

El Austriaco
04-28-08, 23:44
There is a good number of Beija-Flor sambaistas at 4x4 and a few at Solarium.
I have run into quite a number of girls from different samba schools in the cheap Centro termas, especially Salgueiro, Beija Flor, and Mangueira. One of them (from 502) even had a video of her which she wanted to copy for me, as a gift... alas, I never got around to seeing her again. Too bad! For a while, my plan was to do one from each school, just to be fair :)

EA

El Austriaco
04-28-08, 23:54
Just had a chance to see Cidade dos Homens (City of Men) yesterday, the follow-up series to City of God, and I gotta say, I was sort of underwhelmed. Very confusing storyline and tons of characters about whom, ultimately, I didn't care a whole lot. I don't know, liked City of God much better.

Now that I am talking about bad movies: come to think of it, anyone ever see Turistas? I had a chance to see the first half hour of it... believe it or not, on a bus traveling in Michoacán here in Central Mexico (they always show movies on trips longer than a couple of hours or so). The reason I only saw the first half hour was because, unexplicably at first, the driver decided to change the DVD not even halfway into the movie. Well, maybe not so unexplicable once you figure that the movie shows a bus of tourists almost being driven off a cliff by an incredibly reckless and probably drugged bus driver. Talk about hitting too close to home :) Anyhow... at least it spared me the rest of an incredibly lame flick, juding by the Internet comments I read about it. In case you don't know, basically, as a result of being stranded by the near-accident of the bus on an idyllic Brazilian beach, a group of MTV type cuties (both male and female) fall victims to rogue organ traders... with all the horror and gore this normally involves. And as far as I know, several Brazilian government agencies protested quite vehemently when this movie was released, out of fear how it might impact the perception of Brazil abroad. Needless to say, this movie is pure exploitative fantasy without a shred of factual evidence... but if you're into seeing close-ups of a nasty headwound stapled (!) shut, then it might be for you :)

EA

George90
04-29-08, 00:10
Now that I am talking about bad movies: come to think of it, anyone ever see Turistas? I had a chance to see the first half hour of it... believe it or not, on a bus traveling in Michoacán here in Central Mexico (they always show movies on trips longer than a couple of hours or so). The reason I only saw the first half hour was because, unexplicably at first, the driver decided to change the DVD not even halfway into the movie. Well, maybe not so unexplicable once you figure that the movie shows a bus of tourists almost being driven off a cliff by an incredibly reckless and probably drugged bus driver. Talk about hitting too close to home :) Anyhow... at least it spared me the rest of an incredibly lame flick, juding by the Internet comments I read about it. In case you don't know, basically, as a result of being stranded by the near-accident of the bus on an idyllic Brazilian beach, a group of MTV type cuties (both male and female) fall victims to rogue organ traders... with all the horror and gore this normally involves. And as far as I know, several Brazilian government agencies protested quite vehemently when this movie was released, out of fear how it might impact the perception of Brazil abroad. Needless to say, this movie is pure exploitative fantasy without a shred of factual evidence... but if you're into seeing close-ups of a nasty headwound stapled (!) shut, then it might be for you :)

EA

As you describe it, I did see parts of a movie with young Americans in Brazil getting cut up by a psycho doctor. It was on Cinemax. I later saw that the title was 'Turistas'. I tried to watch it from the beginning but just couldn't.

I think these types of movies are made as tax write-offs, at least they were when there were tax incentives for stimulating the movie industry.

RonnyRon
04-29-08, 01:39
I was in Rio last week. Up early Friday morning at one of the kiosk across the street from the Copacabana Palace sipping on a beer when it came steaming out of the port on it's way to Japan. I got a couple of photos. I'll upload a little later. Quite a sight to behold!!

RonnyRon

Rio Bob
04-29-08, 01:44
Now that I am talking about bad movies: come to think of it, anyone ever see Turistas? EA

Yes recently I did see this whole movie, I don't know why, it must have been on HBO and nothing else to watch.

But you're right about the movie it was bad, there was one factual scene where one of those MTV type guys meets a beautiful girl and then bangs her. After it's all over she demands payment (sound familiar?) He says to her, you mean you don't love me? Same story is on the Rio Reports thread right now but I'm sure he still has his kidneys.

Flexinbk
04-29-08, 03:11
Yes recently I did see this whole movie, I don't know why, it must have been on HBO and nothing else to watch. I too saw the entire movie, I was just hoping to increase my vocabulary, alas the movie couldn't even do that. P.O.S.

Wild Cherokee
04-29-08, 03:47
Same story is on the Rio Reports thread right now but I'm sure he still has his kidneys.

Friggin' hilarious... yet so true!

WC

Sperto
04-29-08, 07:10
I was in Rio last week. Up early Friday morning at one of the kiosk across the street from the Copacabana Palace sipping on a beer when it came steaming out of the port on it's way to Japan. I got a couple of photos. I'll upload a little later. Quite a sight to behold!!
Lots of sailors. I guess the GPs around Praça Mauá (Florida bar, Scandinavian bar) must have their pockets loaded with money by now. :)

Thanos
04-30-08, 07:00
Lots of sailors. I guess the GPs around Praça Mauá (Florida bar, Scandinavian bar) must have their pockets loaded with money by now. :)Pataca was packed. Not one seat available. The girls were taking sailors right to their apartments.

Sunset Strip
05-01-08, 18:52
Just had a chance to see Cidade dos Homens (City of Men) yesterday, the follow-up series to City of God, and I gotta say, I was sort of underwhelmed. Very confusing storyline and tons of characters about whom, ultimately, I didn't care a whole lot. I don't know, liked City of God much better.

:

You really need to watch City of Men, the TV series before seeing the movie. If I was not a fan of the TV show I would have hated the movie. Even as a fan of the show I found the movie less than satisfying. It is not worth the price you pay, so just see it on video.

El Austriaco
05-03-08, 19:25
You really need to watch City of Men, the TV series before seeing the movie. If I was not a fan of the TV show I would have hated the movie. Even as a fan of the show I found the movie less than satisfying. It is not worth the price you pay, so just see it on video.
I bought it on DVD, and at the going rate for pirated DVDs here in Mexico (MEX 25.00, less than USD 2.50), I'll live...

EA

Sunset Strip
05-03-08, 20:12
I just bought Bossa Nova on DVD and it looks good. I will watch it on the plane ride to Rio next month.
People say Bossa Nova is not the real Rio, but it is the Rio I want to live in!

TJ

RonnyRon
05-04-08, 01:57
There were sailors everywhere. Many stayed at the hotel next to my apartment on Avenue Atlantica. Here are some shots of the the USS George Washington heading due east.

RR

Sprite13
05-04-08, 06:46
Out of curiosity, I bought the book by Jewel Woods about why black men go to Brazil for sex. I am so far at a 3rd of the book and so far, I have mixed feelings about the book. It sure is well documented, however, the author goes off track at times specially when he portrays himself as a kind of saviour of the black community, specially the female ones. A bit pompous at times. Also, he seems to be sidding with the black females in more than one occasion. All in all, despite his fair amount of research academically speaking, he is doing the black community and all of us Brasil lovers, a major disservice by attracting a very unwanted attention and publicity towards Brasil and giving this wonderful place, a very bad reputation. I'd give him 3 thumbs down for doing that.

RonnyRon
05-04-08, 07:02
I took the book with me to Rio and read it on the plane. For guys who are married or girlfriends don't know why they go to Rio, this guy blew the lid off. For someone like me who could careless if they know it doesn't mean much. In fact I would gladly give it to a couple of my old girlfriend to read. Just so they will know exactly why I don't deal with their asses any more. Funny thing is this trip I saw about 5 Black women from the states in Rio. I doubt they will return. Rio is no Jamaica. They should not go to Rio to get their groove back. We just ignore them.

RR

Bravo
05-04-08, 20:31
I took the book with me to Rio and read it on the plane. For guys who are married or girlfriends don't know why they go to Rio, this guy blew the lid off. For someone like me who could careless if they know it doesn't mean much. In fact I would gladly give it to a couple of my old girlfriend to read. Just so they will know exactly why I don't deal with their asses any more. Funny thing is this trip I saw about 5 Black women from the states in Rio. I doubt they will return. Rio is no Jamaica. They should not go to Rio to get their groove back. We just ignore them.

RR

So fucking hilarious!! I have begged some sistas not to go to Rio. I told them a bunch of them "Dont go because you are going to get your feelings hurt down there! You might be a 10 here in the states, but down there you will be an overweight American woman! You wont get any attention or love from the locals or American Brothas!!"

I've known a few of them who have came back all pissed off, with thier ego bruised! They got all mad cause the cariocas are walking around in thongs while they are standing on the beach in their one piece bathing suit! Standing around trying to figure out why nobody is trying to talk to them! HHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!

Voyajer1
05-04-08, 21:12
I've read the book from cover to cover and the author, in my opinion is just full of it. He did some research, that is obvious, but he was way off topic for the majority of the book. The title was designed to grab attention, which it did. But he really was not detailed as far as the happenings in our favorite spot of the world. He quoted people that have been to Brazil, but from what I've gathered, he appears to have never been here. In my opinion, if he would have traveled to Brazil and spoken to people that were visiting instead of relying one second hand info, he wouldn't be talking out of his behind so much. I know that if I'm going to write about something, I wouldn't write it second hand as he apparently did. You have to hit the spots and feel it; just don't talk about it. In addition, his socioeconomic posturing was quite naive. A lot of what's happening between African American men and women, or for that matter, American men and women, needs to be focused squarely on the women. Period. No one can read their freaking minds, play their silly ass games, and their attitude is plain infuriating. He never addressed their attitude, he just glossed over it. Are you kidding me? In order to fix any problem, you must address its cause. In my opinion, American women are reaping what they sowed for so long. They expect us to change? Only if you are weak. He gets a zero on a scale of 1 to 10 from me.
Out of curiosity, I bought the book by Jewel Woods about why black men go to Brazil for sex. I am so far at a 3rd of the book and so far, I have mixed feelings about the book. It sure is well documented, however, the author goes off track at times specially when he portrays himself as a kind of saviour of the black community, specially the female ones. A bit pompous at times. Also, he seems to be sidding with the black females in more than one occasion. All in all, despite his fair amount of research academically speaking, he is doing the black community and all of us Brasil lovers, a major disservice by attracting a very unwanted attention and publicity towards Brasil and giving this wonderful place, a very bad reputation. I'd give him 3 thumbs down for doing that.

Sunset Strip
05-04-08, 21:56
Damn, I should have borrowed the book from one of you guys, but instead I just bought it on amazon. That means I have just helped pad this guy's pocket a little more.

We never will know how the book was originally written before getting published. Remember, book publishers, like TV news producers and ad agents, make their money from selling products. Linking the scene in Copacabana with ongoing issues of black male/black female sexuality is a sure bestseller. The author may be guilty as charged but in the end this is only an attempt to make money, pure and simple.

In the African American book market I have heard more women buy books than men. So this book is an attempt, most likely, to capitalize on that market. Writing a book that is evenhanded or sympathetic to black men just would not sell as much.

Somebody should get a copy of this guy's PHD dissertation to see what he said in it to really get a picture of who he is.

TJ

Superion
05-05-08, 01:09
So fucking hilarious!! I have begged some sistas not to go to Rio. I told them a bunch of them "Dont go because you are going to get your feelings hurt down there! You might be a 10 here in the states, but down there you will be an overweight American woman! You wont get any attention or love from the locals or American Brothas!!"

I've known a few of them who have came back all pissed off, with thier ego bruised! They got all mad cause the cariocas are walking around in thongs while they are standing on the beach in their one piece bathing suit! Standing around trying to figure out why nobody is trying to talk to them! HHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!It's amazing how some sistas are humbled by their Brazil experiences. In help a couple of times I've actually had Black American sistas approach ME. The fact that brothas were utterly ignoring them kind of messed them up in my opinion. They surely don't take too well to the tables being reversed on them.

The ironic thing is that if these same sistas were at a club back in the states they would be at advantage with infinite guys drooling over them.