PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian Music and Dance

Admin
01-01-00, 02:00
Thread Starter.

Abzsafado
06-27-09, 15:02
Trawling around the depths of facebook I came across some interesting stuff. Monte Carlo and Help are both on it. Though why anyone would want to tell the world they hang out there is beyond me. But the Monte Carlo group (with 1 member, the manager I suspect), does have a link to it's website. Which might be useful for newbies.

FoxesHunter
07-01-09, 21:44
Hi, out of curiosity ... I'd like to know the somatic types of the girls in Mato Grosso. Are they beautiful like in Goias?
Thanks

Phunluv
07-02-09, 06:24
Being that I live in NYC, it seems I've got some options for taking classes in the above dances.

Was wondering if the regulars here think it's worth the effort. I don't know too much about this "samba de gafieira" thing, whether gdps like it or dance to it or what.

It seems that forro is better known and popular but I thought that was more a northeastern Brazil thing and that cariocas and paulistas wouldn't be into that sort of genre.

From what I've seen of forro videos on YouTube, some of the patterns look a lot like salsa which I'm pretty good at so I think I can adapt and learn it.

But I don't want to waste time learning something that the GdPs don't care for. I can always just dance to house/techno/disco. :)

Basically, if it will help me build rapport with some of the GdPs and maybe even a non-pro, then I'll give it a shot and take some classes. What do the experts here think?

Perkele
07-02-09, 12:35
Being that I live in NYC, it seems I've got some options for taking classes in the above dances.

Was wondering if the regulars here think it's worth the effort. I don't know too much about this "samba de gafieira" thing, whether gdps like it or dance to it or what.

It seems that forro is better known and popular but I thought that was more a northeastern Brazil thing and that cariocas and paulistas wouldn't be into that sort of genre.

From what I've seen of forro videos on YouTube, some of the patterns look a lot like salsa which I'm pretty good at so I think I can adapt and learn it.

But I don't want to waste time learning something that the GdPs don't care for. I can always just dance to house/techno/disco. :)

Basically, if it will help me build rapport with some of the GdPs and maybe even a non-pro, then I'll give it a shot and take some classes. What do the experts here think?

Honestly, without trying to be an asshole, gdps do care about content of your wallet not your dancing skills.

If you try to impress "normal" women, your skills in different dances may prove useful.

I don't care about dancing, but if I'm not completely wrong in Rio AXE should be more useful.

First you need to speak the language though....

Jan 156
07-02-09, 14:43
I don't count myself as an expert by any means, but personally I think forro is a good skill to have in Brasil and I'm always trying to improve. Mostly with non-gdps perhaps, but it can go down well if you slum in VM for a long time. It is also a sort of base communication and can cover cracks in language. Few people in Brasil can't do a basic forro although a few -esp Paulistas - might think it's beneath them.

I found dancing salsa more a hindrance than help when I started forro, but that's cos of the similarity. The way the beats are used is different and it's very much more relaxed and informal I think. The two are quite different.

You can also dance salsa in Brasil though it's more of an elitest thing, something you dance at salsa clubs. Whereas forro is for any bar or concert where appropriate music is playing.

ps if you're dancing with a girl in a bar who does samba, you can dance salsa (if she doesn't mind) as she dances samba - the two can work to the same music. And lucky you dancing salsa in NYC btw.

Jan 156
07-02-09, 14:57
The dance of NE Brasil is calypso. Kind of very fast jive with footwork similar to samba and some distinctive moves. But I don't know of it being danced outside of Para - Belem and so on. The Rio dance teachers I've met won't even touch it.

But forro is everywhere. I think brasilians learn forro when they learn to breathe.

Hitmanm3
07-02-09, 15:35

Basically, if it will help me build rapport with some of the GdPs and maybe even a non-pro, then I'll give it a shot and take some classes. What do the experts here think?If you like to see more forro I have been looking at you-tube and did learned some good moves from that site. Planning to make my first trip to Brasil soon so I thought of picking up some of their basic dancing techniques, for example pagote, samba and forro. I even bought some cd's. Not hard to learn. Maybe it has to do with my latin back ground.

Pelongera
07-02-09, 16:21
The dance of NE Brasil is calypso. Kind of very fast jive with footwork similar to samba and some distinctive moves. But I don't know of it being danced outside of Para - Belem and so on. The Rio dance teachers I've met won't even touch it.

But forro is everywhere. I think brasilians learn forro when they learn to breathe.Can you recommend a good teacher in Rio, Christopherd, forro or samba?

Beach Star
07-03-09, 00:58

But forro is everywhere. I think brasilians learn forro when they learn to breathe.

This is Banda Calypso in English

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp6qPjSOoD4

Jan 156
07-03-09, 01:04
Can you recommend a good teacher in Rio, Christopherd, forro or samba?
I can recommend a school, I think. Although this year I couldn't get hold of the teacher I had last year. That was Rosangela from CCC dance school just off Rua Carioca. She was not only a great teacher but spoke English. Once I've got the basics of a dance comfortably I'm happy to attend a class or go with a Brasilian-only-speaking teacher. But I needed someone who could give me a technical explanation as well as show me what I was doing wrong (my forro was too salsa-ish at one point). She also got my confidence up on samba and I'd have asked her to teach me pagode if I'd managed to catch up with her this year.

I've also been to the Carlinos de Jesus school in Botafogo, which has the advantage of location if you're staying in Rio - just a 100 yards or so across the road from Rio Sul. But it's very much more 'posh'. There's great deals on dance wear (esp shoes) but I prefer CCC. When I arranged private classes with Rosangela she offered to teach me at my hotel (Ibis - across the road) to save costs. As it turned out, we managed to get the use of the empty studio below the jazz club if I came at a time when staff were there (in the kitchen) but when no-one else was using the studio.

So my personal recommendation would be for CCC, whether private or classes. I liked the teachers at Carlinos as well but the ones I had for forro were more like excellent dancers who happened to teach - Rosangela, on the other hand, was serious about the technique of teaching.

Of course, other people's experience may be quite different. And a lot depends on where you're staying. There's also other teachers that aren't associated with these bigger schools - some are really great - but it's a case of tracking them down as some have little fixed teaching pattern/place or even the same mobile phone number from one month to the next.

I hope you find what you want - and perhaps you will have some tips of your own afterwards - I'm always keen to hear.

of course, if you manage to find a GDP with something between her ears as well as her legs, you may get some unofficial tips. This only works if they have no agenda - eg they've already been paid and aren't stalking you for other goodies. VM girls can be fun cos they'll laugh at you when you screw up so you know you've got it wrong, whereas a teacher is sometimes 'supportive' to a fault. I'd always practice the supposedly 'cool' stuff I'd learnt with the happy putas of the succulent village lol . . .

Pelongera
07-03-09, 06:56
I can recommend a school, I think. Although this year I couldn't get hold of the teacher I had last year. That was Rosangela from CCC dance school just off Rua Carioca. She was not only a great teacher but spoke English. Once I've got the basics of a dance comfortably I'm happy to attend a class or go with a Brasilian-only-speaking teacher. But I needed someone who could give me a technical explanation as well as show me what I was doing wrong (my forro was too salsa-ish at one point). She also got my confidence up on samba and I'd have asked her to teach me pagode if I'd managed to catch up with her this year.

I've also been to the Carlinos de Jesus school in Botafogo, which has the advantage of location if you're staying in Rio - just a 100 yards or so across the road from Rio Sul. But it's very much more 'posh'. There's great deals on dance wear (esp shoes) but I prefer CCC. When I arranged private classes with Rosangela she offered to teach me at my hotel (Ibis - across the road) to save costs. As it turned out, we managed to get the use of the empty studio below the jazz club if I came at a time when staff were there (in the kitchen) but when no-one else was using the studio.

So my personal recommendation would be for CCC, whether private or classes. I liked the teachers at Carlinos as well but the ones I had for forro were more like excellent dancers who happened to teach - Rosangela, on the other hand, was serious about the technique of teaching.

Of course, other people's experience may be quite different. And a lot depends on where you're staying. There's also other teachers that aren't associated with these bigger schools - some are really great - but it's a case of tracking them down as some have little fixed teaching pattern/place or even the same mobile phone number from one month to the next.

I hope you find what you want - and perhaps you will have some tips of your own afterwards - I'm always keen to hear.

of course, if you manage to find a GDP with something between her ears as well as her legs, you may get some unofficial tips. This only works if they have no agenda - eg they've already been paid and aren't stalking you for other goodies. VM girls can be fun cos they'll laugh at you when you screw up so you know you've got it wrong, whereas a teacher is sometimes 'supportive' to a fault. I'd always practice the supposedly 'cool' stuff I'd learnt with the happy putas of the succulent village lol . . .Thank you, Sir.

That phrase 'supportive to a fault' echoes with me.

I don't mind people giggling at my whitey moves. But I don't want my moves stopping anyone from doing their thing.

(I have a favorite dance partner in Santiago de Cuba, raw, untrained talent, a thing of beauty, who never stops no matter what I do. And of course she smiles and laughs the whole time. It's heaven.)

Can you (or anyone) also suggest accessible forro tunes or musicians?

Phunluv
07-03-09, 07:25
Thanks for the advice fellas. I'll think I'll just take a few classes of each genre and then see how it goes, how I feel about it.

I agree with what some others said, that the gdps are more interested in my wallet than my dance skills; I just want to add a skill that might come in handy now and then.

I also agree about the language thing being more important. I'll definitely spend more energy working on that than on anything else before my next trip.

Some other guys mentioned the differences between forro and salsa. I'll have to agree. I've danced too much salsa over the years so I know I'll have some challenges adjusting to the forro basic step.

On a similar topic. . . while I revere the music of Antonio Carlos Jobim, Caetano Veloso, Gilberto Gil, I'm assuming that music is considered old-fashioned by your average GdP.

Any recommendations of music I can purchase or download to play on the laptop when I bring a garota over? I usually have some generic house/techno already programmed but it would be cool to know what these girls really dig, although I don't really care for that baile funk stuff. I'll play a couple of funk tracks if I have to, but then I'll go back to the house tracks that I know have been global hits, or even some rock (U2, etc.) or 80's classics.

By the way, I just ordered a CD from Amazon of Martinho da Vila. I love that song of his Mulheres, I want to learn how to sing that, lol. I'm hoping some GdPs dig that kind of stuff, but if not, I'll adapt as always. . . ;)

Jan 156
07-03-09, 13:34
while I revere the music of Antonio Carlos Jobim, Caetano Veloso, Gilberto Gil, I'm assuming that music is considered old-fashioned by your average GdP.

Any recommendations of music I can purchase or download to play on the laptop when I bring a garota over?

I don't know that music tastes are similar among gdps. I've met ones that like (teenage idol) Ivete Sangalo while a lot of others grimace at the thought of her (admittedly she's Axé but you can dance forro to her stuff and most girls seem to refer to her as forro). My diaspora-d forro teacher gave me a copy of Brazil Classics, Vol. 3 which is mostly forro and quite cheap to buy on Amazon (and fairly eclectic though not the easiest to dance to). I don't think the bossa nova -ish / forro artists you mention are uncool in Brasil but maybe a bit upmarket. You maybe know more about them than I do. There's other stuff you can download that's purely forro though and if she's a keen dancer she might not mind about your personal choice over hers. If you've got a dvd player on your laptop why not just get some cheap bootlegs when you're there?

I was in Belem earlier this year (musically a very rich place) and a band called Pixote was pretty popular for dancing and listening to in the sleaze houses. Their Ao Vivo album is easy on the ear and easy to dance to. Some of their stuff sounds more like pagode* I think but the differences can get a bit blurry to my non-Brasilian ear. The Super Vetron collections were also quite big, although I personally find them a bit irritating.

ie sort of like very slow laid-back samba (wot I can't do)

Jan 156
07-03-09, 14:00
Mulheres, I want to learn how to sing that
If you are a decent singer you will be very welcome guest spotting behind the mike at the infamous late-night Viveiros de Castro restaurant if that's your scene. Just have a good b*tch shield up to protect yourself from uglies till a nice doable walks in ;)

Phunluv
07-03-09, 20:21
If you are a decent singer you will be very welcome guest spotting behind the mike at the infamous late-night Viveiros de Castro restaurant if that's your scene. Just have a good b*tch shield up to protect yourself from uglies till a nice doable walks in ;)LOL! I wouldn't dare sing in public, I just let out a few lyrics now and then of tunes that I like.

I figured the stuff of Jobim, Veloso, and some of the other older-school are like the "gringo stereotype" of Brazilian music, i.e., Corcovado and the Girl from Ipanema, so I just want to avoid anything corny on the playlist that might kill the mood. ;)

Thanks again and hope everyone has a great 4th of July. Fire up that grill!

Java Man
07-04-09, 18:15
It's not down. I tried several proxy sites to access gpguia and keep getting 403 error, access forbidden. Looks like they've been more successful at blocking access to it from outside Brazil.

A quick search found one proxy site that gives limited access: http://www.projektorimusic.com

Meteko
07-05-09, 11:00
Any recommendations of music I can purchase or download to play on the laptop when I bring a garota over? I usually have some generic house/techno already programmed but it would be cool to know what these girls really dig, although I don't really care for that baile funk stuff. I'll play a couple of funk tracks if I have to, but then I'll go back to the house tracks that I know have been global hits, or even some rock (U2, etc.) or 80's classics.

Here are a few suggestions you might want to check out. All very danceable,
yet not to much dammage to your educated ears.

.Rosalia de Souza : 'garota moderna'
.BossaCucaNova : 'revisited classics' -and folowing albums
.Alexandre Capparoz : 'sexy70- sacanagem'
.Los Amigos Invisibiles : 'gozadera' - and the next two albums
.Yerba Buena : 'follow me'
.Zuco103 : 'outro lado' and the live album
. on a more classic note : the latest Seu Jorge (AmericaBrazil),
Trio Mocoto, or even Curumin
enjoy,
M

Buscemi
07-05-09, 16:08
Bebel Gilberto has a few geat remixes of classics.
Check out Suba, "São Paulo Confessions", as well!

Pelongera
07-05-09, 18:17
Bebel Gilberto has a few geat remixes of classics.

Check out Suba, "São Paulo Confessions", as well!
Here are a few suggestions you might want to check out. All very danceable, yet not to much dammage to your educated ears.

.Rosalia de Souza : 'garota moderna'
.BossaCucaNova : 'revisited classics' -and folowing albums
.Alexandre Capparoz : 'sexy70- sacanagem'
.Los Amigos Invisibiles : 'gozadera' - and the next two albums
.Yerba Buena : 'follow me'
.Zuco103 : 'outro lado' and the live album
. on a more classic note : the latest Seu Jorge (AmericaBrazil),
Trio Mocoto, or even Curumin
enjoy,

MWe're still talking about music one dances "forro" to, right?

Prosal
07-06-09, 11:24
Can you recommend a good teacher in Rio, Christopherd, forro or samba?
In Rio you could try Ballroom in Humaita district (rua Humaita), a dance-oriented hall/club with a variety of live music, including Forro (on Wed if my memory serves).

No teachers but lots of potential partners. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVHWPFDddxg

Prosal
07-06-09, 11:33
pagote, samba and forro.
You should add Sertaneja to the list (especially if you venture to Centro-Oeste, where the country & western culture is preponderant).

It constitutes more than 40% of the CDs sold each year in Brasil. Go figure!

Meteko
07-06-09, 16:15
We're still talking about music one dances "forro" to, right?
No, not the ones I suggested. Sorry if that was confusing.
The ones I suggested are rather ' let's have a party with Brazillian tunes that are not as repetitively dumb as that bailla-funk'.
(ok, there's some Venezuelian stuff there as well..)

M

Jan 156
07-06-09, 18:46
Hey Java,
I had problems accessing the site from Rio recently. Not sure what is going on.

Admin: take note, the same guys are always at it!
TJ

TJ - to be fair, it's the general thread rather than the Rio one and plenty of guys are interested in using music and dance to connect with GDPs and non-GDPs, even if the discussion has rather outstayed its welcome. As I was one of the people who answered the original query - though not, I hope you will note, continued it, I must take some blame if blame is due (I thought some of the replies were way off, but kept silent for the very reason you suggest - it gets too much). I don't on the other hand have any interest in the gpguia site and even less in discussing proxies.

Could I suggest that people wanting to continue dance and music queries PM the people concerned. Similarly might be appropriate if the gpguia discussion gets overly technical.

This whole board, with the occasional exception, has got way too piecemeal for my liking, but we have to live and let live a bit.

Prosal
07-06-09, 22:01
Oh, I forgot, this is the Brazilian dance thread!
This is called culture.

Yeah, cultural awareness (and language skills) goes a long way everywhere in the world, and this is maybe even more true in Brasil.

I understand that with such an handle you don't care a lot about brasilian culture though.

Pelongera
07-06-09, 23:46
Tijuana. To be fair, it's the general thread rather than the Rio one and plenty of guys are interested in using music and dance to connect with GDPs and non-GDPs, even if the discussion has rather outstayed its welcome. As I was one of the people who answered the original query. Though not, I hope you will note, continued it, I must take some blame if blame is due (I thought some of the replies were way off, but kept silent for the very reason you suggest. It gets too much). I don't on the other hand have any interest in the gpguia site and even less in discussing proxies.

Could I suggest that people wanting to continue dance and music queries PM the people concerned. Similarly might be appropriate if the gpguia discussion gets overly technical.

This whole board, with the occasional exception, has got way too piecemeal for my liking, but we have to live and let live a bit.sooo, is it okay to talk (and ask follow-up questions) about specific dances, musicians and pieces of brazilian music, now?

In any event, let me say thank you guys, including you, Christopherd, for your suggestions. That was great!

A friend wrote and said she's going to take me to see something called "chorinho, " which I'd never heard of?

Does chorinho in Rio sound appealing to you?

Jan 156
07-28-09, 22:53
Quite hard to get outside Brasil - pick it up from somewhere like Modern Sound when you're in Rio. Double You Live. Get the DVD - the CD of the same name misses the best tracks! This is a Euro band adopted by Brasil and mote or less stayed there. The live concert is from Sao Paulo. Euro dance music that Brasilians go mental for.

Prosal
07-29-09, 22:09
A friend wrote and said she's going to take me to see something called "chorinho, " which I'd never heard of?
You can hear chorinho (a traditional music played by a trio) in Lapa and Santa Teresa bars. Ballroom in Humaita has also a chorinho night on Tuesdays if my memory serves.

As we talk about brasilian music, here is a video of very good progressive MPB. The short haired singer used to sing with Cassia Heller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB1m9VJksv0

Prosal
07-29-09, 22:20
Talking about Cassia Eller. She's one of the brasilian most famous rock icon.

Cassia Eller - No Recreio (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXhfBJFKWaY)

She died in 2001 from drugs and alcohols abuses. As for Renato Russo (Legiao Urbana), her popularity after her untimely death has continued to grow.

Prosal
07-29-09, 22:37
Still highly popular brasilian rock. They made numerous hits, including this one :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pJCfKayp3s

Prosal
07-29-09, 22:45
Sertaneja (country music originally from the rural "sertões") is highly popular in the SP state, Minas, Goias (the brasilian Texas), Mato Grosso, Mato Grosso do Sul and Parana.

Sertaneja constitutes each year more than 40% of all the albums sold in Brasil. Go figure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnm6EftMMmM

Prosal
07-29-09, 22:59
Titas has always been with Legiao Urbana the greatest rock band in Brasil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpYj_sI79v8&feature=related ( É Preciso Saber Viver, their most famous hit)

Someone have maybe recognized the singer, Paulo Miklos, from his hallucinating role in the - great - movie O Invasor (The Trepasser) .

Prosal
07-29-09, 23:06
Sabotage. Zona Sul (from the movie "O Invasor").

The video has been shooted in Capao Redondo neighborhood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4Zqn7x58j0

Prosal
07-29-09, 23:26
Marisa. I love her.

Give me anyday Marisa better than Ivete or Daniela, those stupid gooses singing shitty bahianian hits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gCTP_cwqRA&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-p3bnk928A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doU59v5LxVY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwl2efZPX8A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxPlhYMmU7E&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKnVAZHehV0&mode=related&search=

Prosal
07-30-09, 00:12
Pagode romantico is a style appreciated essentially by the lower classes.

Raça Negra, a band from Sao Paulo periferias, is with So Pra Contrariar (Alexandre Pirez) the most representative bands of this musical style.

Raça Negra - Maravilha (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMLhk3Yp-18)

Prosal
07-30-09, 00:25
Why can't I resist to post about brasilain music ? :)

Still bahiana music, but better than axe. More progressive. Carlinhos Brown. He's an idol in Bahia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94D1S4It5mw&mode=related&search=

Prosal
07-30-09, 00:33
Old School Samba.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8xTTCFrAlg

Martinho owns a small bar in Rio, in Vila Isabel, named "Botequim do Martinho".

Buscemi
07-30-09, 00:47
Any Nação Zumbi fans here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPB0T8Jbv-g&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppXKPUpenBQ

Sperto
07-30-09, 07:08
...Ivete or Daniela, those stupid gooses singing shitty bahianian hits.
Many brazilians, and foreigners, love those "stupid gooses singing shitty bahianian hits".

Ivete Sangalo has over 12 millions albums sold.
Daniela Mercury sold about the same amount of albums.

Another popular Axé band is Chiclete com Banana, they have sold 13 millions albums.

Why can't I resist to post about brasilain music ? :)
That's a question that occurred to me as well.

Prosal
07-30-09, 08:35
Many brazilians love those "stupid gooses singing shitty bahianian hits".
Ivete Sangalo has over 12 millions albums sold.
Daniela Mercury sold about the same amount of albums.
And ? ... Leandro e Leonardo sold some 26 millions albums. That's just the proof that many brasilians are burros just good to appreciate commercial shit.

Seems you're part of the mass BTW. ;)

That's a question that occurred to me as well.
I know you have an unfailing and inflexible love for everything brasilian (admittedly especially for the faveladas involved in low-end mass prostitution) and you don't suffer to hear anything negative about Brasil but I didn't know you cared that much, Spertinho, my little truninha. Nonetheless, thinking about it, maybe you have come to the conclusion that you're a true ISG icon, that this is your board and that you have some moral right to chide anyone who dare to offer about this coutry other perspectives from the usual ones that and your twin mongers promote.

Sorry to participate to this - good - thread and disturb you in your virtual kingdom, but I reiterate : yeah, axe is just commercial shit, a music for burros.

Why don't you complain to Jackson that I dared to say bad words about Ivete ...an intolerable behavior ...ask him to ban me for this provocation. lol

Sperto
07-30-09, 17:24
...Spertinho, my little truninha...
No need to comment (specially not as you keep changing your post all the time).
However, I do have to admit that I'm curious about what "truninha" means. :D

Prosal
07-30-09, 17:35
I'm curious about what "truninha" means. :D
You're such a petty quibbler. I'm not surprised though. Wit isn't a quality of yours, isn't it ?

Is a typo all you've found to prove to the world how you're an expert about Brasil and how others aren't, Sperto, my little truTinha ?

:rolleyes:

Jan 156
08-02-09, 21:22
Crikey, we get a thread for Brasilian music, why the bitching? Please. Music is something to share. And a matter of personal taste. There's a lot of 'shitty' Brasilian music I like cos of the memories it brings me. Or the dances I had. Or falling over with laughter as people karaoked and mimed to Banda Calypso. Or marvelling at how Sangalo could have a mass concert on the beach with only a day or two's notice and minimal security. Or the street musician selling her albums in Belem. The Ao Vivo music videos in the wh0rehouses there, or the all-nighter bands playing the big venues. The rarer stuff from secluded corners of the street markets. Condomble chants that invoke a gentle purity. The intensity of samba songs in the quadra or as we dance the length of sambodrome. The same roots in old movies or picked up at street fairs. Enjoying the breeze from the balcony as the band warms up in the intimate atmosphere of Rio's CCC. The smile on a girl's face as we realise we both deeply love the same song. I'm not a musician. I'm always interested in what sort of music a garota enjoys. It's a way of relating. Arguing the toss over what is 'good' reminds me of die-hard jazz fanatics who lose any atmosphere by getting heated over technicalities. I'm sure there's a place for that. And it's secondary.

When I was a kid we would have apple fights (throwing tiny hard apples from the trees) with our neighbours in an argument about whether the Beatles were better than the Rolling Stones. WTF.

Chezz
08-08-09, 22:28
There are a ton of videos on YouTube for the song Pernão Sarado by MC Marcio. My favorite is the one below.

I've tried to find a place where I can buy/download that song, but so far am only able to find streaming sites. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-54buJ1_II

Jan 156
10-23-09, 21:29
I know this is a very long shot. If you have had Calypso lessons in Belem from a teacher you thought was ok could you send me contact details please? (am looking for intermediate level).

I can look in the newspaper and so on as much as anyone else and have places where I can go to ask, but would quite like to start lining something up before I get there this time. So just on the off-chance that someone happens to have a specific contact . . .

(In case anyone's wondering WTF, 'calypso' is fast dance that's native to Para.)

Bimbo Boy
10-18-10, 21:23
I can't help it, every time that I hear this song, I cry :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NCvDg6E3JQ
From a musical point of view, it is a masterpiece. Just a few instruments (caraquinho, cuica, tambor), just the necessary musical notes, not one is superfluous.

Here is a translation of the lyrics :

Eviction in the Favela

When the official representative of Justice,
came there, in the favela.
And against his own wishes, he delivered to Mr Narciso the notice of eviction.
It was signed by an important official.
The notice said that in 10 days the favela must be empty and all the barracks destroyed.
It is an order from above, it is a superior order.
Ôôôôôôôô, my God, it is an order from above, it is a superior order.
Ôôôôôôôô, my God, it is an order from above, it is a superior order.
It is OK Mr important official, it is OK,
Tomorrow I will leave my barrack.
It is OK Mr important official, it is OK,
I will leave this place quickly because I do not want to hear the noise of the bulldozer destroying my house.
For me there is no problem, because I can find room in any place, I will find a way, any way.
Because what I own is so little, I have so few things, that I can carry them in the back pocket of my trousers.
But the other people who are losing their houses, hé, what will they do ?
But the other people who are losing their houses, hé, what will they do ?

Ryjerrob
10-19-10, 01:53
There are a ton of videos on YouTube for the song Pernão Sarado by MC Marcio. My favorite is the one below.

I've tried to find a place where I can buy/download that song, but so far am only able to find streaming sites. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-54buJ1_II

http://www.4shared.com/get/HLWoBBz2/02-Perno_Sarado.html

Ryjerrob
10-19-10, 06:05
No need to comment (specially not as you keep changing your post all the time).
However, I do have to admit that I'm curious about what "truninha" means. :D

Truninha = Big Daddy!!!!

Paulisto
07-09-17, 05:12
I know this is a very long shot. If you have had Calypso lessons in Belem from a teacher you thought was ok could you send me contact details please? (am looking for intermediate level).

I can look in the newspaper and so on as much as anyone else and have places where I can go to ask, but would quite like to start lining something up before I get there this time. So just on the off-chance that someone happens to have a specific contact . . .

(In case anyone's wondering WTF, 'calypso' is fast dance that's native to Para.)This dance is "forró", everybody in northeast of Brazil love this kind of dance haha.

Maybe you can try like. Well lets go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2oJQhs2KHE

Jan 156
02-13-18, 05:27
This dance is "forr", everybody in northeast of Brazil love this kind of dance haha.

Maybe you can try like. Well lets go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2oJQhs2KHEThat was a very old post. I only happened to notice your reply when I popped on to see if anyone was enjoying and commenting on Carnaval this year.

I am afraid you are very mistaken – as are many Paulistos and Paulistanos about things in the North (Belem is North, not North-East). I dance forro as well, if not brilliantly enough for social. Belem Calypso is more like a fast salsa to a samba beat (Yes, it's a fast dance, not slow, like forro). You can get an idea from watching the old brega band, Banda Calypso, although the version they dance on stage is a 'show' version. When you go to the big nightclub in Belem, the youngsters dance excellent Calypso, accurately and very fast. But only for the first hour or so while everyone is still fairly sober and the dance floor is not too crowded. (For mongering, that club is also near a very large upmarket mongering club, with disco, restaurant and rooms by the hour or overnight -- one of the best of its kind outside of Sao Paulo.

In answer to my (now exceedingly old) post, yes I found a Calypso teacher. In fact when I saw the post I at first thought it was someone else asking. Well if you travel that far one day perhaps you will enjoy. Though not for Carnaval!

Kind regards.