PDA

View Full Version : Sociological Observations on Thailand

Admin
01-01-00, 02:00
Thread Starter.

Piper1
07-14-09, 20:43
I've agreed with Jackson to moderate this new section, at least for a couple of months (then hand it over to someone more involved in the Thai discussions). I also mentioned to Jackson that I'm very liberal, so I may not edit/delete posts or debates that would normally be edited/deleted, and he is fine with that, as long as reports do not blatantly violate ISG rules.

Personally I think Jackson has done the right thing by setting up this section and re-instating OTH to full Senior Membership, and personally, I hope OTH comes back. I've been in touch with OTH, but understandably he's not too excited about the idea of returning to ISG, at least for the time-being. While I don't always agree with OTH's opinions, he has some good insights, and he's always good for raising a bit of debate, which is a good thing in my opinion.

This section is open for anyone, and if anyone gets offended by any of the discussions, go join the pussies in the fight club. ;)

PinkPearl
07-14-09, 21:18
Sociological observation:

Jackson is a stand up guy for reinstating OTH as a Senior Member with full privileges.

Welcome back OTH!!!

Thanks, Piper1"Full privileges". Does that mean OTH can post anywhere on ISG that he wishes, as he has in the past 2000 something posts?

Or "full privileges" in the EXPATS area only?

PinkPearl
07-15-09, 03:36
So i take it it's ok to bash OTH here, eh B)

Piper1
07-15-09, 05:35
So i take it it's ok to bash OTH here, eh B)Go for it, if you have something to say. If not, take it to the "The Dead Forum" where no-one reads or replies to your posts anyway, PP.

C'mon, admit it - it's more interesting on ISG. ;)

Piper1
07-15-09, 06:55
Look for my reports in Manila next week.Hey Donnie - only if you have photos. ;)

Now that we have the BS aside, this thread is supposed to be about sociological observations on Thailand. I posted several observations in the past, so now I'll leave it up to others with something useful to say.

PinkPearl
07-15-09, 19:37
Personally I think Jackson has done the right thing by setting up this section and re-instating OTH to full Senior Membership,

Does that mean OTH can post anywhere on ISG that he wishes, as he has in the past 2000 something posts?

Or "full privileges" in the EXPATS area only?

Piper1
07-15-09, 20:27
Does that mean OTH can post anywhere on ISG that he wishes, as he has in the past 2000 something posts?

Or "full privileges" in the EXPATS area only?My understanding is that OTH has unrestricted Senior Membership - ie anywhere on ISG, but that if he wishes to post controversial opinions and debates, he (and anyone involved in the debates) would voluntarily restrict their posts to this new section.

Jackson mentioned when setting up this section that its purpose would be to allow a venue for some 'edgier' debates between the more vocal members, leaving the other threads open to encourage newer and less vocal members to contribute.

I agree with this reasoning. Case in point: until recently I was a vocal member on the Dubai threads, to the point where there would be only me and a couple other vocal members dominating the Dubai threads. Since we vocal members haven't been so active on the Dubai threads for a few weeks, a whole new batch of members has emerged, providing fresh perspectives and great reports.

PinkPearl
07-16-09, 01:13
Is this thread a substitute for the "Racsm against foreigners in Thailand"
thread from the main forum? That was one of the most popular as far
as OTH's posts are concerned, but has not been included here.

Piper1
07-16-09, 15:39
Is this thread a substitute for the "Racsm against foreigners in Thailand"
thread from the main forum? That was one of the most popular as far
as OTH's posts are concerned, but has not been included here.I don't see why not. Racism is a sociological issue. When I get some time this weekend I may re-organize the threads a bit - ie reduce the number of threads. I don't see this as becoming a busy set of threads (and I don't talk much ;)), so no need for so many threads, IMNSHO.

LittleBigMan
07-18-09, 08:42
Piper1,

This is just a observation and a suggestion about this particular Thread. Since it was created I have been giving it a look and something doesn't feel right about the layout? I can't really put my finger on it maybe someone else can or feel exactly like me.

One, I don't feel the Threads are being given a fair chance, because for starter it says " Moved " and on the far right the posting dates are removed. It just looks like a dead thread.

If you proceed with one of the two threads you still have to click to Thailand Expat Club, when you do that you are back to the beginning. It seems to be repetitive.

My suggestion is remove the Thailand Fight Club/ Living in Thailand and just call it Thailand Expat Forum Warning! remove the word " moved " and place a time and date on the last reply like the rest. Once the lurker clicks Thailand Expat Forum Warning he comes to the rest of the thread all at once. Having the Warning on top is a good idea! I just hope posters can read so we don't get into a shit load of stuff happening again!

Also, once your are through with the Thread, there is no way of getting back to the main thread Thailand. You have to go back to International or Asia and start all over again.

That is just my 2 cents, right now there are still hard feeling and to a newbie with maybe tough skin this might be a place for them too! Right now it's dead as a door nail!

LBM

Piper1
07-18-09, 14:53
LBM,

I mentioned something to this effect to Jackson yesterday (eg removing the word 'link' and making it a direct thread to the main list), but I'm not sure if the software will allow the changes. Let's see if Jackson has a solution.

LittleBigMan
07-18-09, 16:01
Thanks, for looking into it. Actually there are 3 threads that has the removed.

LBM

Piper1
07-19-09, 18:52
Thanks, for looking into it. Actually there are 3 threads that has the removed.

LBMThere's now a direct link to the Thailand Expats forum from the main board (see top left-hand side). Should make it a few less clicks to gain access.

LittleBigMan
07-20-09, 06:11
Thanks, greatly appreciated!

Ham Yai
07-20-09, 15:28
I have been here 4 years.

The Sex Guide Forum needs to spell it out.

Thailand is a land of smiles.

They smile when they take your money.

They smile when you ask the Police for assistance.

They smile when you marry a Thai.

BUT

Keep you money locked in your pocket/ safe

(They will love you more, really)

Keep Police at a distance

(I never pay Traffic police, ITS POSSIBLE)

(BKK to UDON You get stopped 3-6 times)

Keep thai girls at arms length

They consider "trust" a sign of weakness

Keep your powder very dry

Or when dipping your wick have an escape route

Don"t be a mug.

Corruption is endemic

Oh yes I live in LOS but I married a Phili

Motto FFFF

Chocha Monger
07-22-09, 05:59
Apparently the Thais are greatly entertained by the rooting of Soi dogs according to Cheeky Farang http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/blog/thai/index.php?showentry=573

SE Asia Joe
07-23-09, 13:43
Hey Piper - Been reading that oTH is back full Senior member status - but have as yet read anything from him.

Also, what happened to Giotto?? How come he's dropped off??

Hope I'm not stirring anything up - but I miss both these guys' posts. Really!!
No matter how canatankerous some of 'em are - at least they're the real thing!

SEAJ

Piper1
07-23-09, 19:31
Hey Piper - Been reading that oTH is back full Senior member status - but have as yet read anything from him.

Also, what happened to Giotto?? How come he's dropped off??

Hope I'm not stirring anything up - but I miss both these guys' posts. Really!!
No matter how canatankerous some of 'em are - at least they're the real thing!

SEAJTo answer your question, I refer you to the thread of the semi-retirement home "Giotto's Lodge". (Remember? - the place with the expensive Italian leather sofas). [evil laughter]

Shansawy
07-28-09, 10:22
I have been here 4 years.

The Sex Guide Forum needs to spell it out.

Thailand is a land of smiles.

They smile when they take your money.

They smile when you ask the Police for assistance.

They smile when you marry a Thai.

BUT

Keep you money locked in your pocket/ safe

(They will love you more, really)

Keep Police at a distance

(I never pay Traffic police, ITS POSSIBLE)

(BKK to UDON You get stopped 3-6 times)

Keep thai girls at arms length

They consider "trust" a sign of weakness

Keep your powder very dry

Or when dipping your wick have an escape route

Don"t be a mug.

Corruption is endemic

Oh yes I live in LOS but I married a Phili

Motto FFFFHam Yai,

Although I agree on most of what you said but since I come from another third world country there are few things you have missed.

when I see a 70 years old working under the flammable sun for more than 6 hours or a small kid bouncing a ball for few bahts or a 4 years jumping in the air just to sell you a glow stick for 3 bhats, I realize how deep is the hunger in such a country.
And you know what hungry human cannot smile. But hungry and polite at the same time that is not very common worldwide. A lot of areas in third world countries I have visited you need to be really physically rough with people to keep them away from your wallet.

With all my respect to your opinian but I think you need to take a deeper look for at the end of the day we all need to feed ourselves and our families.

Jeff46
07-29-09, 08:49
Ham Yai,

Although I agree on most of what you said but since I come from another third world country there are few things you have missed.

when I see a 70 years old working under the flammable sun for more than 6 hours or a small kid bouncing a ball for few bahts or a 4 years jumping in the air just to sell you a glow stick for 3 bhats, I realize how deep is the hunger in such a country.
And you know what hungry human cannot smile. But hungry and polite at the same time that is not very common worldwide. A lot of areas in third world countries I have visited you need to be really physically rough with people to keep them away from your wallet.

With all my respect to your opinian but I think you need to take a deeper look for at the end of the day we all need to feed ourselves and our families.What Shansawy want to say is the thai look us farang as ATM.

Jeff46
07-29-09, 08:52
Ham Yai,

With all my respect to your opinian but I think you need to take a deeper look for at the end of the day we all need to feed ourselves and our families.What shansawy want to say is the thai look us. Farang as atm machine. Not as human other country at least do not fake theier feeling. Thais are number 1 in fake feeling. Sometime I like to bomb them.

Lifeingr
08-02-09, 19:23
What shansawy want to say is the thai look us. Farang as atm machine. Not as human other country at least do not fake theier feeling. Thais are number 1 in fake feeling. Sometime I like to bomb them.

I come from an industrialized (1st world) country and I've lived for many years in other industrialized countries. Everywhere, any "service or product provider" will look at the customer (and especially the foreigner customer) as an ATM! So, why Thais or other people from developing countries should look at the customers as "an old friend". And i have also to say that in many "1st world" countries (especially in many European countries) they look you as an ATM (of course they will never admit it) and they behave to you like shit! There is no quality of service although you could pay a fortune. So I prefer to be an ATM that it is taken care of and receive the proper service than to be an ATM that it is just sucked off and everybody will spit on it!

ManonsanBoy
08-02-09, 19:29
Give generously

LittleBigMan
08-03-09, 12:15
Lifeingr,

Your view on ATM, is short term, when you are in Thailand ATM means to many of us Long Time... you don't just buy pussy, you buy cattle, elephants, apartments, houses, cars not only for your girl but her family even the 5th cousins. See the difference!

LBM

Tiger 888
08-03-09, 13:16
Lifeingr,

Your view on ATM, is short term, when you are in Thailand ATM means to many of us Long Time... you don't just buy pussy, you buy cattle, elephants, apartments, houses, cars not only for your girl but her family even the 5th cousins. See the difference!

LBMThe look at us as an ATM. So let's be the ATM, look at them as a customer, act like an ATM and swallow the card.
Or what about a: Your account doesn't have enough balance?
I will one day print a T-shirt: "Walking ATM on holiday, service suspended, please try another Farang nearby".

Member #3428
08-03-09, 13:18
The look at us as an ATM. So let's be the ATM, look at them as a customer, act like an ATM and swallow the card.

I will one day print a T-shirt: "Walking ATM on holiday, service suspended, please try another Farang nearby".I thought LBM was opening the T shirt shops.

LittleBigMan
08-03-09, 15:52
Tiger888,

I got one going already! currently working on it. A cartoon picture of a ATM, Screen says Empty in English. Below the ATM, it says Empty, and up to you in Thai. Wanted to keep it simple!

LBM

Lifeingr
08-03-09, 17:19
Well, my point on the ATM was metaphorical, I hope it was clear. I also talk about long time and not tourist short time. Maybe I am quite new here (leave in Thailand only 8 months) but so far if I compare the quality/price ratio in Thailand for most services (including but not limited to pussy) and products with other countries I've lived then the ratio is amazing and I get everything with a smile.

To make my point more clear. I was living in a European country for 3 years. I don't mention name because I don't want to start a debate over the specific country. I was a consumer there and the price/quality ratio was normal to high for a European country BUT the attitude of most (90%+) "sellers" was HORRIBLE! You had a feeling that they make you a favor by "allowing" you being in their place (restaurant, hotel, shop, theater etc.) and buy something from there. Anytime I had to go for shopping was a nightmare. Non helpful staff, arrogant managers, long lines for everything, bad service, high prices and not a single smile!

In Thailand it is the contrary. So I don't mind to see me as "ATM". I know how much and on what I'll spend and I can make my choices and receive a very good service always with a smile.

I hope the point is more clear now.

Jeff46
08-03-09, 19:10
Well, my point on the ATM was metaphorical, I hope it was clear. I also talk about long time and not tourist short time. Maybe I am quite new here (leave in Thailand only 8 months) but so far if I compare the quality/price ratio in Thailand for most services (including but not limited to pussy) and products with other countries I've lived then the ratio is amazing and I get everything with a smile.

To make my point more clear. I was living in a European country for 3 years. I don't mention name because I don't want to start a debate over the specific country. I was a consumer there and the price/quality ratio was normal to high for a European country BUT the attitude of most (90%+) "sellers" was HORRIBLE! You had a feeling that they make you a favor by "allowing" you being in their place (restaurant, hotel, shop, theater etc.) and buy something from there. Anytime I had to go for shopping was a nightmare. Non helpful staff, arrogant managers, long lines for everything, bad service, high prices and not a single smile!

In Thailand it is the contrary. So I don't mind to see me as "ATM". I know how much and on what I'll spend and I can make my choices and receive a very good service always with a smile.

I hope the point is more clear now.Yes 8 months in Thailand you are a virgin. Thailand is the most friendly country/people in the world. Always smiling to you. Apparently they do not catch you yet. You not involve in gf or real business. Till today you see only the nice face. May be. Who knows you never will see behind the curtain. But at least once you have girl friend or similar the ATM machine story start. You have here at ISG all info about it. Do not let get you. Good luck and take care. Be carefull of the killing smile!

PinkPearl
08-03-09, 20:24
The look at us as an ATM. So let's be the ATM, look at them as a customer, act like an ATM and swallow the card.
Or what about a: Your account doesn't have enough balance?
I will one day print a T-shirt: "Walking ATM on holiday, service suspended, please try another Farang nearby".

Unfortunately very fews Thais would understand that, even amongst those
in BKK who know some English.

But time is money, so i should go read a post with a report in it :D

Fon Tok
08-04-09, 09:04
Well, my point on the ATM was metaphorical...So I don't mind to see me as "ATM". I know how much and on what I'll spend and I can make my choices and receive a very good service always with a smile...I agree with you. I spent a few weeks in America each year and people there have lost their sense of gratitude for just about any act of generosity. My experience in Thailand has been that for the little bit it costs to be jai dee you usually get a lot in return (along with a wai and a smile).

Member #3428
08-04-09, 09:17
I agree with you. I spent a few weeks in America each year and people there have lost their sense of gratitude for just about any act of generosity. My experience in Thailand has been that for the little bit it costs to be jai dee you usually get a lot in return (along with a wai and a smile).

Generalizations....

Get out of the cities and people are very different. In every part of the world including America (and I'm not American).

The difference is the cost of being Jai Dee is less in SEA then in other parts of the world.

PinkPearl
08-12-09, 22:50
"Out of familial gratitude, many daughters of poor farmers entered the sex trade to support their families. Many are severely exploited. Many have died from work-related sicknesses. But some, too, found love and security through marrying foreigners. They set up families and started doing business, as all couples do. We should be happy for them, shouldn't we? Why should we harass them with this proxy land ownership fervour?"

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/21931/stop-hunting-for-foreign-scapegoats

Fon Tok
08-13-09, 15:57
Generalizations.... Get out of the cities and people are very different. In every part of the world including America (and I'm not American).You don't know much about America do you? I lived in a number of rural and urban communities over the past 30+ years. I'm afraid what once was is no longer.

When I now return to the states on visits from Thailand I often ride my motorcycle for thousands of miles at a time. Entire rural communities in states like Arizona, Montana, Idaho and Washington are ravaged by methamphetamine abuse, land speculation, or lack of an economy. The only growth industries in many places are prisons. People are scared. And they generally don't take kindly to strangers! Generalization...sure, but that's the way it is.

I'd take a road trip in the Thai countryside any day over one in America (and I am American). In fact, I just took one today...it sure was green!

Member #3428
08-14-09, 02:26
You don't know much about America do you? I lived in a number of rural and urban communities over the past 30+ years. I'm afraid what once was is no longer.

You got no idea what you are talking about. Stick to taking your voyeur long distance pictures of girls and ladyboys walking down the street.

But I'd rather ride my bicycle in Isaan then in America that's a given fact.

Fon Tok
08-14-09, 03:25
You got no idea what you are talking about. Stick to taking your voyeur long distance pictures of girls and ladyboys walking down the street. Ah, so that was you with the ladyboy. No wonder you were walking funny. :)

Member #3428
08-14-09, 05:19
Ah, so that was you with the ladyboy. No wonder you were walking funny. :)

HAHAHA... that was your GF with the ladyboy to get satisfaction...

Go shuckwow to some of your pictures....

Fon Tok
08-14-09, 05:40
HAHAHA...Go shuckwow to some of your pictures....At last count, one of my websites had over 1.3 million clicks in a little over 8 months. I think you were shuckwow'ing a bit there as you seem to have a very keen interest in my photography! ;)

OK, I'll admit it: I'm an American who does not know much about America, I live in Bangkok and I like to take street pictures of what I see (e.g., beautiful women, lady boys, cars, tuk tuks, food carts, temples, etc.). BTW, shuckwow'ing is unnecessary in this town! Where do you live?

I'm much more interested in Thai sociology anyway. Coincidentally, I met a nice looking water virgin buffalo yesterday. Tansak, you interested?

Let's call it a draw and move on...OK, mai?

1Ball
08-14-09, 06:23
I always enjoy your pics, Fon; sadly, it reminds me of how little I observe as I walk around.

I, of course, have seen all these things many times, but hardly ever stop to look at them. I will be in BKK in 24 hours for a quick overnight. I will try to be more observant, though Piper and I are going out saturday night, so who knows WTF will happen :D

Thanks

PS. That water buffalo looks like it could handle the Rabbit with ease. Probably wouldn't even notice, as he is humping away doggie, I mean buffalo style ;)

Member #3428
08-14-09, 07:57
BTW, shuckwow'ing is unnecessary in this town! Where do you live?

I'm much more interested in Thai sociology anyway. Coincidentally, I met a nice looking water virgin buffalo yesterday. Tansak, you interested?

Let's call it a draw and move on...OK, mai?

I'm in MNL and humping away on a 23 year old bi sexual and her two girl friends.... While my TGF is bitching on the phone that I don't have time for her.

There is no such thing as a virgin buffalo in thailand especially after 1ball gets in town.

Have two three different sets of girls clothes and overnight bags in my room and on my way out, the DAMN US navy is in town being stupid jack asses running up prices so I like to taunt them a little and get their leave revoked. :D

Piper1
08-14-09, 16:28
I will be in BKK in 24 hours for a quick overnight. I will try to be more observant, though Piper and I are going out saturday night, so who knows WTF will happen :DThat's if I'm still alive and not in jail by then. See my report in Giotto's.

Pita123
08-17-09, 16:25
Generalizations....

Get out of the cities and people are very different. In every part of the world including America (and I'm not American).

The difference is the cost of being Jai Dee is less in SEA then in other parts of the world.

Having grown up in a small American town of some 2500 middle-class blue collar workers I have to say that I agree. It ain't what it used to be. They've lost the plot.

So who's around this coming weekend in Bangkok to help find the plot ?

Aslan
08-18-09, 03:31
I had a design for a t-shirt I'm working on having made. Front says ATM and back has picture of ATM with arrow pointing to the crack of your ass for swiping the card. I also want a t-shirt that says key nok in thai on the front and back. Could work as a baseball cap also.

Pita123
08-18-09, 05:24
I had a design for a t-shirt I'm working on having made. Front says ATM and back has picture of ATM with arrow pointing to the crack of your ass for swiping the card. I also want a t-shirt that says key nok in thai on the front and back. Could work as a baseball cap also.

What is key nok?

MeatMan
08-18-09, 08:47
A quick thought..

Why are most Thais afraid to sit next to me either on a bus or a train? Is it me or is this with most foreginers who come to Thailand?. I often travel to Places in Issan IE: Buriram, Sateuk, Surin, Etc and other surrounding areas in Thailand. Yes, I understand that I am tall, and somewhat big. Is it the whole:

"OMG, Black man!!..NO WAY, HE SCARY MAN, HE DANGEROUS!!"

I can only assume that hardly, if any have never seen an Black American. Comments?

Warbucks
08-18-09, 09:28
A quick thought..

Why are most Thais afraid to sit next to me either on a bus or a train? Is it me or is this with most foreginers who come to Thailand?. I often travel to Places in Issan IE: Buriram, Sateuk, Surin, Etc and other surrounding areas in Thailand. Yes, I understand that I am tall, and somewhat big. Is it the whole:

I can only assume that hardly, if any have never seen an Black American. Comments?

Nah its not with most foreigners but Black ones yep. This is found all over SE Asia.

I am not tall but I am muscular and deal with silly shit such of this in PI daily

Aslan
08-18-09, 14:22
Key nok means bird shit and is used by Thai to describe us as cheap or poor when we don't want pay more as a farang.

I'd say the Thai are weary of black people because they don't come into contact with them often and there is also a stereotype they hold against their own people which is the light skinned ones are beautiful and the dark ones not. My girl is from Korat and is dark, but she is still fearful of people darker than her or non-thai such as Burmese or Cambodian. I tell her such fears are irrational and that in the U.S. white people are more often found to be serial killers than other groups. You have to think of the portrayal of black people in film and on TV and understand that this is how Asians believe they act. If you're only seeing hip hop gang banger types talking about their bitches, money, and poppin caps in asses you might tend to believe everyone is like this. If you watch Thai t.v. or film you're going to see the good people as light skinned and the bad guy as dark.

I'm from the southern U.S. and while there is still racism here, I don't see it as much as when I was growing up. We have a president of mixed race now and I think he may be one of the best we've had in a very long time. To me you're going to find assholes of every color. Black people are no more frightening than any other color though some would like to have you believe so.

As far as size is concerned...I'm very white...Irish/German, tall, shaved head, and life weights. I find Thai people sometimes sit away from me also if they can. Maybe because I look like one of those Nazi skin head idiots.

NicFrenchy
08-18-09, 16:36
Maybe because I look like one of those Nazi skin head idiots.
Well, If you're going to wear a T-shirt with "Kee Nok" written on it, then you probably are an idiot.
Kee Nok is a derogatory term designed to insult us so you proudly harboring it will not make you look very smart (by any standard)

Opebo
08-18-09, 17:10
Thais avoid sitting near foreigners, white, black, middle eastern, Indian or whatever mainly because they think we smell bad. If female she may also be afraid that someone will think she is with you (and therefore a prostitute), or that you might speak to her or even touch her, which would be very embarrassing.

Aslan
08-18-09, 18:28
Well, If you're going to wear a T-shirt with "Kee Nok" written on it, then you probably are an idiot.
Kee Nok is a derogatory term designed to insult us so you proudly harboring it will not make you look very smart (by any standard)

Only if you don't have a sense of humor Nic. I do and I'm not so concerned with what anyone thinks.

Pita123
08-18-09, 18:59
Only if you don't have a sense of humor Nic. I do and I'm not so concerned with what anyone thinks.

Maybe this is why you are familiar with this phrase and I am not.

Aslan
08-18-09, 22:07
^ Because I have a sense of humor?

Paul Peters
08-20-09, 22:18
Is there a similar problem in Hatyai? I was there recently and sensed the entertainment has disappeared and left the town.

A quick thought..

MeatMan
08-22-09, 04:02
Is there a similar problem in Hatyai? I was there recently and sensed the entertainment has disappeared and left the town.

I have no idea since I've haven't been to the south of Thailand... Yet. I DID meet a Thai-Malay woman in Nana who was a cutie and a total 3-holer. Worth the repeat!.

Opebo
11-05-09, 18:19
Since we expats are segregated over here, I will let my hair down and talk about pointless, silly things:

OK, we all ride around in tuk tuks in the country side, or at least we did when we were tourists. Do you gentlemen know the difference between the Isaan Skylab and the Thai Tuk-tuk?

I made a map of which provinces seem to have tuk tuks in the Bangkok style, and which have the upcountry 'skylab', with green for the former and orange for the latter. However as you can see I've not been to many provinces or cannot remember what type carted me around. Can anyone contribute?

NicFrenchy
11-06-09, 02:00
Since we expats are segregated over here, I will let my hair down and talk about pointless, silly things:

OK, we all ride around in tuk tuks in the country side, or at least we did when we were tourists. Do you gentlemen know the difference between the Isaan Skylab and the Thai Tuk-tuk?

I made a map of which provinces seem to have tuk tuks in the Bangkok style, and which have the upcountry 'skylab', with green for the former and orange for the latter. However as you can see I've not been to many provinces or cannot remember what type carted me around. Can anyone contribute?

Well I found that very interesting.

Opebo
11-08-09, 11:40
Well I found that very interesting.

Are you being facetious?

NicFrenchy
11-08-09, 13:11
Are you being facetious?

Nope, I really did find it interesting and would like to see a more complate map.
However I see less and less tuk tuks around... they are starting to disapear also

Opebo
11-08-09, 14:20
Nope, I really did find it interesting and would like to see a more complate map.
However I see less and less tuk tuks around... they are starting to disapear also

Yes, for sure, and its a terrible shame. In Bangkok most of all, but also in many other cities. And in many of these smaller cities and big towns they aren't really being replaced with anything as effective. For example I know that Korat has now a decent meter-taxi service using regular automobiles that I've used quite a bit, but I've never seen one in Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, or Ubon Ratchathani.

I suppose that it is inevitable that as living standards increase it will continue to get harder and harder to get around in Thailand, until perhaps it is one day as frustrating as the Bad Place. I don't recommend anyone go to the US as a tourist, simply because of local transport (combined with the idiotic layout of the urban setting).

I wish I could get the attention of some guys who live in the Buri-Ram, Surin, Si-Saket areas to let us know what kind of tuktuk or skylabs are used there. I've been there a lot, but can't remember.. guess I used motorbike taxis or rented a bike in those places. Bumholes, are you there?

Fon Tok
11-08-09, 15:54
However I see less and less tuk tuks around... they are starting to disapear alsoThat's because most of them only want to take tourists on a shopping tour!

Fon Tok
11-08-09, 15:58
Trang town, down in far southern Thailand, has a fleet of great old tuk tuks.

Opebo
11-10-09, 22:44
Thanks, Fon Tok. I forgot that there are several other types of Tuktuk than the two main ones.

For example the other day I was in Ban Pie, in Khon Kaen province, and I noticed many tuk tuks that were simply old Samlor (the pedal kind) with a motorbike welded onto the front. This made for a rather long, low vehicle that was strangely at once elegant and awkward.

I also remember that in Nakhon Phanom and Sakhon Nakhon, many of the skylabs (and they were traditional skylabs), were built rather low and on fatter tires, and had salvaged automobile engines instead of the usual two-stroke. No 'tuk tuk' sound these - they were smooth, powerful, and quiet. Old flat-four Suzukis seemed particularly popular, but also Honda's and Mitsubishi inline-fours layed on their side under the vehicle. Neat!

Pita123
03-02-10, 06:17
Ok, for all the professors of psychology and sociology out there...

Do Thais ever say "I'm sorry"?

Scenario: A man an a TG are having a long distance relationship. Things start to go in the wrong direction. The man says that things don't look like they are going to work out hoping to hear "I'm sorry, you are right, let's work on this together" and instead hears "If you want me to go away, tell me, I'll go away". In the west he'd expect that she's going to try to convince him that she's sorry and wants to make it up or show him that she wants him. Is this a clash of cultures? Could it just be linked to a specific TG who lacks self esteem and has been disappointed many times?

NicFrenchy
03-06-10, 06:40

Scenario: A man an a TG are having a long distance relationship. Things start to go in the wrong direction. The man says that things don't look like they are going to work out hoping to hear "I'm sorry, you are right, let's work on this together" and instead hears "If you want me to go away, tell me, I'll go away". In the west he'd expect that she's going to try to convince him that she's sorry and wants to make it up or show him that she wants him. Is this a clash of cultures? Could it just be linked to a specific TG who lacks self esteem and has been disappointed many times?

almost impossible to answer...

Pita123
03-06-10, 06:55
almost impossible to answer...
Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. Care to give it a shot? If the explanation is too long hit my mobile.

Crocodilexp
03-09-10, 08:40

Forgive my cynicism. I'll answer this from an economics perspective. Long distance relationships are generally easy and cheap for a Thai girl to maintain (requiring a bit of time, which is generally not in short supply). Thais live in a rather dense web of relationship (many friends and potential suitors, including a range of Farang if a girl speaks decent English and is internet-savvy). In the west (USA at least), males have on average 0.2 relationships at any one time, so there is much more emotional involvement, and investment involved.

She probably just does not care enough to continue.

Thais in general are not very persistent, put in a token effort, and give up fairly easily when returns are not apparent. Moreover, Thais are conditioned to *never* point out mistakes (or have theirs pointed out), as that would lead to loss of face. Thais rarely honk when they drive for the same reason.

Deep sincere apologies are not common in Thai culture (not counting trivial ones, e.g. stepping on someone's toe in a bus). They might apologize if it leads to immediate gain, but if they're sincerely inclined to correct a mistake, they'd prefer everyone to act as if the problem never happened.

NicFrenchy
03-11-10, 07:23
They might apologize if it leads to immediate gain, but if they're sincerely inclined to correct a mistake, they'd prefer everyone to act as if the problem never happened.

Yes, and everyone DOES act as if nothing happened... then turn away adn gossip about the problem/or person for a whole month.

LittleBigMan
03-14-10, 08:41

Personally I don't think they really know the true meaning of Sorry! Just like they don't really know what " Double Standard " " Hypocrite " Sorry is a word they have heard from Farangs but don't have a clue as to how to truly mean they are sorry through actions! Even when they say they are Sorry! they loose face inside. But at the same time they have no trouble asking you to say sorry!

Unable to apply and know the true meaning of the word is the reason I feel Thai's do not have long term friendships. Personally I don't know a Thai that can say this person has been my friend for 30 years. Long term friendship are build on the ability of individuals to say and show they are truly sorry. In Thai culture that person is a friend one day and the next they are no longer. They will speak badly of them behind their backs but the next day still be able to sit on a table and have a drink with them and smile.

Sorry if this isn't exactly your definition of Sorry!

LBM

Fon Tok
03-15-10, 10:04
Personally I don't think they really know the true meaning of Sorry! Just like they don't really know what " Double Standard " " Hypocrite " Sorry is a word they have heard from Farangs but don't have a clue as to how to truly mean they are sorry through actions!...LBMI think basically when a Thai person says, "sorry," they mean they acknowledge that you don't like something they've done; however, they're still going to do whatever they want to do despite what you think. Essentially, there's no real remorse in the sense that would predicate a future change in behavior.

LittleBigMan
03-16-10, 06:13
I think basically when a Thai person says, "sorry," they mean they acknowledge that you don't like something they've done; however, they're still going to do whatever they want to do despite what you think. Essentially, there's no real remorse in the sense that would predicate a future change in behavior.

Fon Tok,

Another well put perpective about Sorry! and now I briefly touched on the subject.. I wonder what is the perpective of many here on the board regarding friendship Thai and Thai?

LBM

Daddy07
03-16-10, 06:43
... I wonder what is the perpective of many here on the board regarding friendship Thai and Thai?

LBM
All of my Thai friends are feminine and of the short time variety.

All of my non-Thai friends are Farangs.

The rest are aquaintences.

LittleBigMan
03-16-10, 09:22
All of my Thai friends are feminine and of the short time variety.

All of my non-Thai friends are Farangs.

The rest are aquaintences.

Daddy07,

My question was relating on what Farang observations living here or not as to their opinions about friendship between Thai vs. Thai? In my opinion they seem to be very short term just like your feminine short time variety!

LBM

Latin Bound
03-16-10, 12:29

Scenario: A man an a TG are having a long distance relationship. Things start to go in the wrong direction. The man says that things don't look like they are going to work out hoping to hear "I'm sorry, you are right, let's work on this together" and instead hears "If you want me to go away, tell me, I'll go away". In the west he'd expect that she's going to try to convince him that she's sorry and wants to make it up or show him that she wants him. Is this a clash of cultures? Could it just be linked to a specific TG who lacks self esteem and has been disappointed many times?The whole approach on your part began with an askewed preposition. Regardless of culture, if you do something with the expectation of the others behavior has been coined as manipulative and / or codependant behavior. It was your expectations the ones the ones that were challenged. The common proverb that many do not want to follow is, "If you do not want the answer, do not ask the question." You stated that things were not working out, and you also say that in the west the "expectation" is to say, "I am sorry, let's work it out." That necesarilly has not to be true. If the other person believes its worth the effort, you might get that answer, If not, chances are that you will receive one like the one you got. Long distance relationships are hard to begin with. If there is no mutual commitment, it is bound to failure, regardless of cultural upbringing.

Pita123
03-16-10, 19:43
The whole approach on your part began with an askewed preposition.

On my part? This isn't something that happened me but to someone I know. Jing!

LittleBigMan
03-19-10, 11:52
The whole approach on your part began with an askewed preposition. Regardless of culture, if you do something with the expectation of the others behavior has been coined as manipulative and / or codependant behavior. It was your expectations the ones the ones that were challenged. The common proverb that many do not want to follow is, "If you do not want the answer, do not ask the question." You stated that things were not working out, and you also say that in the west the "expectation" is to say, "I am sorry, let's work it out." That necesarilly has not to be true. If the other person believes its worth the effort, you might get that answer, If not, chances are that you will receive one like the one you got. Long distance relationships are hard to begin with. If there is no mutual commitment, it is bound to failure, regardless of cultural upbringing.

I think nearly everything 98% what was said is true, I myself in the beginning didn't believe it would make a difference " Cultural Upbringing " but since being here a few years I'm frustrated when I go home and speak of some of the things or ways Thai's think. My response is from family and friends " Its common sense " it's like 2 and 2 equals 4 to us!

I didn't want to believe it but I have seen it first hand time and time again and have been told my many Farang Expats that have lived here for 20 plus or 30 plus years that Thai's are very selffish people! I have a Thai lady friend back home and it was a surprise to me that she said... I don't associate myself with Thai's any longer. I don't want anything to do with my family in Thailand and that Thai's are selfish people! You say " Mutual Commitment " their upbringing seems to teach and past on... that you come first... therefore if that approach is taken yes it fails because it take 2 to make it work!

LBM

Pita123
03-19-10, 14:31
I have a Thai lady friend back home and it was a surprise to me that she said... I don't associate myself with Thai's any longer. I don't want anything to do with my family in Thailand and that Thai's are selfish people!

I guess the big question then would be, how did she get to the point where she is different. Does this mean you can take the girl out of Thailand and you can take the Thailand out of the girl?

LittleBigMan
03-20-10, 03:43
I guess the big question then would be, how did she get to the point where she is different. Does this mean you can take the girl out of Thailand and you can take the Thailand out of the girl?

I don't know the exact details in which she got to the U.S. but I met her 10 years ago in a Massage parlor, through the years of seeing her professionally I became friends with her. For her she save every penny she earned, learn more English and now lives a American dream with both her daughters immigrated from Thailand and going to a State College.

Through the years she told me other Thai girls she worked with borrow money but never paid back. When she went home to Bangkok, she would spend around 25,000 USD on her family buying this and that... property... in the end she said even her own family lied and burned her. Her friends in the U.S. talk dirty and bad about her because she wouldn't help them any longer. In the end I guess she knew she was being used and that her current friends who are mixed races in the U.S. are more of a friend than people just lying and using her. She also knows that others could be like this but feels she is happy with her current non-Thai friends. I guess you can take the Thai out of a Thai to a certain extend?

LBM

Naughty
04-21-10, 19:34
Why do Thai people, as a rule, have no appreciation for the beauty that most other cultures perceive in the natural world?

I once walked a Thai women to the very edge of the Grand Canyon blindfolded. This has to be one of the most jaw-dropping experiences on earth.

She just yawned, said "uh huh", and asked where the restaurant was.

All around us, tourists from all over the world were standing there awestruck.

This indifference to "natural beauty" seems to be the rule for Thai's, rather than the exception.

Why is this?

Goyave
04-22-10, 01:18
Why do Thai people, as a rule, have no appreciation for the beauty that most other cultures perceive in the natural world?

I once walked a Thai women to the very edge of the Grand Canyon blindfolded. This has to be one of the most jaw-dropping experiences on earth.

She just yawned, said "uh huh", and asked where the restaurant was...

There's a French idiom that says "ventre affamé n'a pas d'oreille" ("Hungry bellies have no ears"). It seems that we could also say something similar ("Hungry bellies have no eyes") about (many) Thais, as when they are hungry, they want to eat something as soon as possible, and (almost) nothing else matters then. Apparently, your Thai girlfriend was starving!

This indifference to "natural beauty" seems to be the rule for Thai's, rather than the exception...

Well, YMMV, but that's not what I've observed, as most of the Thai women that I've met so far are calling me "handsome man". Therefore, they are at least not indifferent to my "natural beauty"! :D

New Old Guy
04-18-11, 16:48
To make my point more clear. I was living in a European country for 3 years. I don't mention name because I don't want to start a debate over the specific country. I was a consumer there and the price/quality ratio was normal to high for a European country BUT the attitude of most (90%+) "sellers" was HORRIBLE! You had a feeling that they make you a favor by "allowing" you being in their place (restaurant, hotel, shop, theater etc.) and buy something from there. Anytime I had to go for shopping was a nightmare. Non helpful staff, arrogant managers, long lines for everything, bad service, high prices and not a single smile!That is so true! I think I know what country you're talking about, my country, has a reputation to be "beautiful" but in reality is populated by a bunch of lazy arrogant ignorant racist assholes.

Today I wanted something shipped here but the post office in that EU country gave plain false information and pretend the service we wanted to use did not existed! All they were insisting on, was a correctly filled form including email address "in our interest".

Today my special friend here in Phuket was unhappy with the service given at Bangkok Bank and goes to another one, all conveniently located in the shopping mall.. In 10 minutes she had the new account opened including ATM card in hand. Previously in the morning she got a new ID card for which she waited 2 hours, that seemed a long time to her! In Argentina either matters can week and tons a paperwork! In Europe only slightly better!

Then I ask the Customer Officer if I could open a bank A/C having only a tourist visa. She looked dubious but then I explained I come to Thailand "many many times". This lady wasn't particularly smiling but she was then willing to take the application and only asked for an utility contract or something. As I will have a real need I will be more than happy to leave my money with them!

Keeniu
05-11-11, 15:11
Then I ask the Customer Officer if I could open a bank A / C having only a tourist visa. She looked dubious but then I explained I come to Thailand "many many times". This lady wasn't particularly smiling but she was then willing to take the application and only asked for an utility contract or something. As I will have a real need I will be more than happy to leave my money with them.

Hey: I need to open a bank account too on account I too visit many times, and Australian banks have a 11% conversion spread. What 'other' will do the trick?

Second Question: As a farang do you pay big farang ATM fees? Nd were you successful?