PDA

View Full Version : Colombian Food

Admin
01-01-00, 01:00
Thread Starter.

Client 9
01-15-10, 17:59
To top it off I just ate an overpriced Chinese meal at dragon de oro.That consistently has been my experience when I eat at almost any restaurant in Colombia that was not recommended to me by a trustworthy Gringo. Colombian restaurants suck. I wish some country in Latin America had the food of Peru, the nightlife of Argentina and the women of Colombia.

Jergens007
01-16-10, 05:05
That consistently has been my experience when I eat at almost any restaurant in Colombia that was not recommended to me by a trustworthy Gringo. Colombian restaurants suck. I wish some country in Latin America had the food of Peru, the nightlife of Argentina and the women of Colombia.1 country that come close to having the night life of Argentina, women of Colombia and food of peru is BRAZIL!

oh hell maybe brazil has it all!

I haven't been to peru but i know it has one of the most diverse cuisine in the world.

Menteng
01-16-10, 14:02
That consistently has been my experience when I eat at almost any restaurant in Colombia that was not recommended to me by a trustworthy Gringo. Colombian restaurants suck. So, is there a trustworthy Gringo who can recommend a good Chinese restaurant in Medellin? No, not Asia, next to hotel Intercontinental or In China in Cra 33 in El Poblado.

Or maybe a good Italian restaurant?

Artisttyp
01-17-10, 21:59
Food:

Mister Lee asian food right above citbank in the food court area. I am very excited about this place. My lunch was $10.

EDITOR'S NOTE: I would suggest that the author or another Forum Member consider posting a link to this report in the Reports of Distinction thread. Please Click Here (http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/announcement-reportsofdistinction.php) for more information.I forgot to mention this is the food court above Citibank next to Parque Bolivar/E Centro.

JazzPlayer
01-19-10, 15:34
That consistently has been my experience when I eat at almost any restaurant in Colombia that was not recommended to me by a trustworthy Gringo. Colombian restaurants suck. I wish some country in Latin America had the food of Peru, the nightlife of Argentina and the women of Colombia.YMMV, I disagree. Colombian food is excellent. Los Peruanos are famous throughout Latin America as the best cooks and often the best resturants.

What is there to not like about great steak, salad, potatoes, sancocho, mondongos, and bandeja paisa? Also, the variety of fruits and the various ways they preare them are all delicious.

The problem is the desire for Chinese food...in Colombia.

One of my most favorite resturants in Medellin is Asados 80 located on Carrera 80. I ate there at least three times a week.

http://www.asadosla80.com/Quienes+somos

Mis dos centavos.

Regards,

Jazz

Justafool
01-19-10, 22:01
I do not know if there is a "real" Chinese restaurant but if you would like a good Chinese restaurant for sitting and enjoying the surroundings you can look ba Parque Bolivar across from the Hostel Odeon.

Food is OK but the restaurant has a nice decor, meaning good atmosphere. The Paisas I have vtaken ther have all like it. I have not beem to any others unless you include the places in the mall or near Cafe Versalles, that place many Paisas I knew used to like. Cafeteria style not as nice as the other.

So, is there a trustworthy Gringo who can recommend a good Chinese restaurant in Medellin? No, not Asia, next to hotel Intercontinental or In China in Cra 33 in El Poblado.

Or maybe a good Italian restaurant?

Justafool
01-19-10, 22:24
Was from Masajistas Paisas and the first was great, the second was better but it has been hit or miss since. I have walked out a few time and hooked up others.

First a hot black spinner and second an blond cutie who half way through tolk me I could uncover if I like. I liked! That was a few years back!

This was the first casa I ever went to in Medellin and I always come back to it.

Prices are very cheap at 25k for a half hour 35k for 45 minutes. The rooms do not have beds only a mattress on the floor.

However there was a very cute 19 year old spinner named "natalia" who turned me out. She has a great body and a bubbly personality. If she wasnt slutting about she would be adorable.

She gives are good BBBJ and I really enjoyed eating her teen meat. I don't get that chance too often.

Total damage for 45 minutes with BBBJ and tip was 45k which is just under $25.

The other girls were ok and average but doable for sure.

Client 9
01-20-10, 06:40
YMMV, I disagree. Colombian food is excellent. Los Peruanos are famous throughout Latin America as the best cooks and often the best resturants.

What is there to not like about great steak, salad, potatoes, sancocho, mondongos, and bandeja paisa? Also, the variety of fruits and the various ways they preare them are all delicious.

The problem is the desire for Chinese food. In Colombia.

One of my most favorite resturants in Medellin is Asados 80 located on Carrera 80. I ate there at least three times a week.

http://www.Asadosla80.com/Quienes+somos

Mis dos centavos.

Regards,

JazzYes, of course there are always a handful of decent steakhouses in any major Colombian city. But the same is true of most major cities in most countries. Beyond that handful of steakhouses, what does Medellin have to offer? Not much, in my opinion.

My trips to Colombia range from one month to four months. After one month, I am tired of Colombian food. After two or three months, I am ready to scream at the lack of variety.

At any rate, thanks for another steakhouse recommendation. I will check it out. I usually go to San Carbon in Las Palmas, but it is somewhat expensive by Colombian standards.

If anybody has a non-steakhouse recommendation in Medellin, fire away!

Manizales911
01-20-10, 10:37
Yes, of course there are always a handful of decent steakhouses in any major Colombian city. But the same is true of most major cities in most countries. Beyond that handful of steakhouses, what does Medellin have to offer? Not much, in my opinion.

My trips to Colombia range from one month to four months. After one month, I am tired of Colombian food. After two or three months, I am ready to scream at the lack of variety.

At any rate, thanks for another steakhouse recommendation. I will check it out. I usually go to San Carbon in Las Palmas, but it is somewhat expensive by Colombian standards.

If anybody has a non-steakhouse recommendation in Medellin, fire away!Lafriggitoria fish'nchips. True english style,even sells Guinness

Carrera 37 # 8a 148

BayBoy
01-20-10, 16:11
I've been to Colombia 4 times. Just wanted to add my 2 cents on Colombian food.

There's 4 choices: steak, pork, chicken and fish. The pieces are huge, and I usually can't eat the whole portion. So I eat 1/2 and put the rest in the refrigerator and save it for later.

But what I do like is the side stuff. Rice, beans, salad, veg., patacon and fried bananas. Good healthy items.

But I do agree that after a couple of weeks the 4 main dishes wear on me. I'm longing for some pasta or other stuff.

My other complaint is that its hard to get a sandwich. Anybody know of a good sandwich shop in Medellin?

Hioctane
01-20-10, 18:11
YMMV, I disagree. Colombian food is excellent. Los Peruanos are famous throughout Latin America as the best cooks and often the best resturants.

What is there to not like about great steak, salad, potatoes, sancocho, mondongos, and bandeja paisa? Also, the variety of fruits and the various ways they preare them are all delicious.Is Palmitas considered Colombian food? I wasn't too impressed. What dish is Colombia famous for? When I eat in another country, I like to try out local food.. something I can't get in my own country. I don't want steak, Italian, American, Chinese food, etc. I do love paellas though.. Anyone know where to get some?

Caballero Oscuro
01-21-10, 06:16
Is Palmitas considered Colombian food? I wasn't too impressed. What dish is Colombia famous for? When I eat in another country, I like to try out local food.. something I can't get in my own country. I don't want steak, Italian, American, Chinese food, etc. I do love paellas though.. Anyone know where to get some?Try arepas - a flat, corn based bread that can be served plain or w/ cheese, meat, potatoes, etc. Sancocho - a meat or chicken based stew w/ potatoes and yuca, Aijaco - a chicken based stew w/ corn and potatoes, Bandeja Paisa - a huge platter that has chorizo, chicharron, steak, eggs, beans, rice, avocado and an areapa, Mondongo - a hodge podge pork stew similar to Mexican menudo, Maduros - baked or fried plantains, Arroz con coco - coconut rice

El Bombero
01-21-10, 07:53
Colombian food isn't horrible, it's just bland. I noticed that even Colombian interpretation of other cuisine is bland. But sometimes the overwhelming euphoria of being in Medellin makes the food seem so much better. I could have a great meal here at home but I'd still rather be sitting in a small cafe eating empanadas, arepas with avacado and limes, and washing it down with a shot of aguardiente and a quattro chaser. Mmmmmmm. Three weeks baby. Three more weeks.

Hioctane
01-22-10, 02:12
Try arepas. A flat, corn based bread that can be served plain or w/ cheese, meat, potatoes, etc. Sancocho. A meat or chicken based stew w/ potatoes and yuca, Aijaco. A chicken based stew w/ corn and potatoes, Bandeja Paisa. A huge platter that has chorizo, chicharron, steak, eggs, beans, rice, avocado and an areapa, Mondongo. A hodge podge pork stew similar to Mexican menudo, Maduros. Baked or fried plantains, Arroz con coco. Coconut riceI'm not feeling the arepas. They serve it with everything. It has a bland taste. I just want some real bread. LOL

Cubanut
01-22-10, 11:13
Is Palmitas considered Colombian food? I wasn't too impressed. What dish is Colombia famous for? When I eat in another country, I like to try out local food.. something I can't get in my own country. I don't want steak, Italian, American, Chinese food, etc. I do love paellas though.. Anyone know where to get some?Gents,

Sancocho de Gallina is originally from the Colombian Region El Valle but is popular in Medellin, Cali etc. Traditionally this soup is made with hens, but you can use chicken too. Other variations can be to make Sancocho with, beef or pork. Funny thing is usually the meat (like chicken) is served apart from the soup so in effect it is not just chicken soup. Only thing I don't like is that the chicken tends to cool off quickly or even get cold before really getting into the meal. Usually Sanchoco de Gallina is served on Sundays but many restaurants offer it as a daily meal.

Bandeja Paisa is probably the most popular Colombian dish, originally from the Andean region of the country where the people are called "Paisas" (including Medellin).

Tradionally, Bandeja Paisa includes beans, white rice, chicharrón, carne en polvo, chorizo, fried egg, ripe plantain, avocado and arepa, but you can substitute the polvo beef for grilled beef or pork.

Personally I hate Arepas (at least the plain white corn vairety) as they are bland to tasteless and are more often than not left on my plate whole and untouched after a meal.

NOW: Arepas de Choclo are to DIE for! This variation of Arepas are delicious corn griddle cakes prepared with masarepa, a special precooked SWEET YELLOW corn flour (as opposed to bland white) which gives them a sweet taste. Sliced or crumbled queso fresco cheese (similar to farmer's cheese) adds a salty contrast and topped off with butter! OMG there is no better taste in the world when you have a fresh of the griddle Arepas de Choclo! Most places I have been to slice the corn cake lengthwise and insert the cheese and butter (whicj I prefer) but some places put the cheese and butter atop the corn cake.

Making myself salivate now so Cheers for now!

Cubanut

Menteng
01-22-10, 14:20

The problem is the desire for Chinese food...in Colombia.

http://www.asadosla80.com/Quienes+somos

Mis dos centavos.

Regards,

JazzYou pretty much summed up the total variety of Colombian food in MDE. Believe me, if you have to repeat those dishes every week, you'll get tired of it. You'll crave after food of the real Chinese, Italian, Turkish, Japanese etc, etc, kitchen. Not to mention fresh seafood like lobsters and crabs. Oh, yes, you can have seafood at Blue Marlin and that Portuguese owned resaturant near La 10, but all prepared with frozen seafood.

Furysys
01-22-10, 22:25
Who goes to medellin to eat food? -> top quality to eat in Medellin, but it isn't food....

Menteng
01-23-10, 15:13
Who goes to medellin to eat food? -> top quality to eat in Medellin, but it isn't food....Some people, like me, live there, you know! There are times that you want to vary what you eat (pun intended) :D

Member #3435
01-23-10, 19:21
Who goes to Medellin to eat food? Top quality to eat in Medellin, but it isn't food.I'm hip!

For me on a daily basis & outside of social gatherings, food is more of an interuption than a culinary experience. An exercise in refueling.

Please guys, don't start posting pix of plates of food. That's where I draw the line. (Sorry Jackson, now there'll be a flood of them.) LOL

All the best, Schwmm

Hioctane
01-24-10, 08:47
...I just hung out for a while at El Castillo with Boyd and was treated to Boyd’s secret Fajita burrito recipe. I don’t know if I’d go back to Medellin just for Boyd’s fajitas, but they weren’t half bad.You should have tried his chicken sandwiches.

Pretty damn good too! I think he should open up a restaurant in the Mansion!

Voyajer1
01-24-10, 12:11
One of my favorite dishes is the good old fashion picada plates. Why? If you can't find something you like on the plate there must be something wrong with your palate.

Sorry, man, I just could not help but crossing the line :D

I'm hip!

For me on a daily basis & outside of social gatherings, food is more of an interuption than a culinary experience. An exercise in refueling.

Please guys, don't start posting pix of plates of food. That's where I draw the line. (Sorry Jackson, now there'll be a flood of them.) LOL

All the best, Schwmm

Member #3435
01-24-10, 19:20
One of my favorite dishes is the good old fashion picada plates. Why? If you can't find something you like on the plate there must be something wrong with your palate.

Sorry, man, I just could not help but crossing the line :DI knew it. Sorry my bad for mentioning.

BTW, how many people is that thing for? 5, maybe 6.

Better still, looks like it should be packaged and sent to Haiti as part of the relief effort.

Schwmm

Hioctane
01-24-10, 19:25

Sorry, man, I just could not help but crossing the line :DThat looks yummy! I love mixed platters so I can try a bit of everything.

Reefski
01-24-10, 21:08
Man, there has to be a coronary bypass in there as well. lol

That's okay though as I hear eating Colombian pussy is good for cutting cholesterol.

Reef

El Bombero
01-25-10, 05:00
Though not overwhelming with flavor, sometimes the beauty of the meal is in its simplicity. Empanadas, por ejemplo.

Manizales911
01-25-10, 17:05
Guys keep your post on women and Sex, We aren't concerned with what you ate or how many balogne sandwiches you had, and keep your reports concise we don't need your personal diaries here, 1 moron even wrote a short novel. Haha, I don't want to have to ban any one, stay kool.

The Prezz outWho the f**k are you to tell people what to write, Leave that job to Jackson. If you don't like what is written,DON'T READ IT.

Manizales911
01-25-10, 17:18

Sorry, man, I just could not help but crossing the line :DIsn't that what the locals call "bandeja paisa" ? I love all of that stuff. Arepas suck though,like eating freeking drywall.

Cubanut
01-26-10, 06:09
Isn't that what the locals call "bandeja paisa"? I love all of that stuff. Arepas suck though, like eating freeking drywall.Manizales,

The picture I included here below shows the typical Bandeja Paisa plate. I agree that Arepas suck. You can't even use them to sop up gravy. Wish the Colombian's used French or Italian style bread or even tortillas!

The picture in Voyajer1's post is a typical Picada plate.

If you are familiar with the Spanish language, you know that the verb "Picar" means to chop or dice. A Picada plate is essentially a bunch of different foods, some chopped, and mixed together on a platter usually intended to be enjoyed by a group of people rather than one person's main dish.

The actual ingredients of a Picada plate can vary slightly depending on the restaurant, but usually a Picada contains: chicken, rib eye, pork, skirt or strip steak and sausage, all grilled and chopped and often times topped with fried yucca, potatoes and/or plantain. All the afore mentioned usually rests atop a bed of lettuce and tomatoes.

If you like the blending of flavors with your meat, starch and veggies on a plate, you will love the Picada plate.

However, if you cannot stand to have your different food groups touch, you might not do so well with this typical Colombian dish.

Cheers,

Cubanut

PS. Sorry Shwimmer but I couldn't have the guy not know the difference.

Menteng
01-26-10, 14:29
Isn't that what the locals call "bandeja paisa" ? I love all of that stuff. Arepas suck though,like eating freeking drywall.Nope! I found this photo on the internet to show you the difference.

Goga Fung
01-28-10, 23:05
Guys keep your post on women and Sex, We aren't concerned with what you ate or how many balogne sandwiches you had, and keep your reports concise we don't need your personal diaries here, 1 moron even wrote a short novel. Haha, I don't want to have to ban any one, stay kool.

The Prezz outYeah, that really weird why would somebody care so much about the food in Colombia.

When there is too much good food available:

- Women will be getting more into food then into what you guys are interested in.

- The women will start enjoying food more than anything else and getting fat like in USA. Are you sure you still really miss the view of female whales/pigs eating piles of food in a USA restaurant?

- Women will stop learning how to cook

Still I think there are some good steaks in some Colombian restaurants such as San Carbon. And if you really missing some stuff, you can cook yourself whatever you like or your Colombian girlfriend will cook for you.

Sun Devil
01-30-10, 15:52
Just had a nice meal at Al Rojo in Parque Lleras yesterday. Enjoyed the putanesca with red wine and cream of mushroom soup. It was at a 40% discount since a lot of restaurants have happy hours from 12 pm to 7 pm at Parque Lleras. Day before, went to Ay Carramba. Had a medium rare Punta de Anca at a 30% discount. Usually go to the Oviedo mall food court to eat some delicious food. Also Hatoviejo on the top floor has some great views of the city and paisa food.

Artisttyp
01-30-10, 16:46
I forgot to mention in my report that a great place to eat in the centro on the cheap is the hotel nutibara or the hotel plaza botero. Any hotel for that matter will let you eat as long as you pay in cash.

*Most places close at 8pm but the hotels serve until 10pm.

You may be one of only 2/3 people eating there but the service is exceptional and the food is very good.

Also a great place to eat breakfast is in the botero museum. They have a nice little cafe in a beautiful courtyard.

Almost every afternoon I had coffee on the museum terrace and watched the world go by.

El Bombero
01-31-10, 03:42
Food in Colombia is just kinda funky-like they forgot to add the can of flavor. I am curious about that "Al Rojo" Italian joint though. I ate pasta in a restaurant in Parque Lleras once and I swear they made the gravy without even adding garlic. The italian food in Costa Rica is way better.

I'm also curious about the Oviedo food court. I've passed through it, but every time I went to Oviedo I couldn't get past "Hamburguesas El Corral. " In fact, sometimes that was the only reason I was at the mall in the first place. Once a chica dragged me to "Crepes y Wafles" and it wasn't bad. Not my thing, but not bad.

Upcoming trip I will be looking for different places to eat. Thanks for the recommendations.

BayBoy
02-02-10, 01:17
Does anyone know of any Buffet restaurants in Medellin, for lunch or dinner, especially in El Centro?

I have never scene one in my 4 trips to Colombia. Wouldnt mind trying some different types of Colombian food.

John Gault
03-20-10, 23:00
I have been in Colombia since Jan. 25th and I am dying for a good pizza.

The only place worse than Colombia for pizza is Peru. Come to think of it the only really good thing in San Jose CR was the pizza.

So in MDE where can I get a real good pizza? Please!

Hioctane
03-24-10, 14:48
We need a list of restaurants broken down by city and cuisine. I'm tired of going to the same old places. I was about to put one together. Anyone have one already?

John Gault
03-28-10, 20:50

The only place worse than Colombia for pizza is Peru. Come to think of it the only really good thing in San Jose CR was the pizza.

So in MDE where can I get a real good pizza? Please!John from the Penthouse took me and another guest of his to an Italian resturant in Laureles name of Crispino, Circular 1 #74-04. The owner is an Italian from Naples so I knew the pizza would be good. The other dishs on the menu looked good also.

BayBoy
03-31-10, 21:23
Barcelona Restaurant in Parque Lleras, Medellin puts out a good buffet lunch everyday ($10,900). Chef Juan Carlos has a choice of two main dishes, that change every day, plus rice, beans, salad, and soup. And a small dessert too. Very fresco. Starts at noon.

El Minetero
07-04-10, 16:37
Does anyone know of a good German or European Bread Bakery in Bogota or Pereira, with dark bread, pumpernickel, whole wheat or swartzbrot? With address or close by instructions, thanks.

What is the best French Bakery you know of? In Pereira, it's the panaderia San Michel on Ave Circunvalar.

El Minetero

Hioctane
07-05-10, 04:54

So in MDE where can I get a real good pizza? Please!I love pizza too.. I tried the Colombian pizza and it was ok. I also went to the "best" brick oven pizzeria in Medellin.. the one across from the Tiger Paw hostel. It's a thin slice and small pizza variety. The pasta was pretty good but the servings were small. The pizza was just Ok. It's still not no NY pizza! If you go to NY, check out DiFara's pizza ($5 a plain slice), tell me it doesn't taste different!

Wanderer1000
07-05-10, 15:15
El Minetero,

This isn't exactly on the money regarding your question, but if you're in Manizales, here's a place you might want to check out. It's owned by a Swiss guy who lives there. I just had various pastries and coffee, so I didn't check out their breads. I thought their tiramisu was great.

Cra. 23 No. 26-57

Member #4394
07-14-10, 04:32
Think Pilsen is better than Club Colombia.

Bully me!

Member #4394
07-19-10, 02:31
I like robalo. Many net sites explain that robalo is snook or sea bass. But it seems to me it tastes like grouper. If you have any knowledge/info about robalo, I would appreciate it. I also liked sierra in Cartagena.

John Gault
07-20-10, 22:41
A Pro who works Mayorista told me about this little resturant that is located around the corner from the casino in Mayorista. It is in a brand new hotel.

The waiter told me the filet minon was very good. It came with a mushroom sause and bacon wrapped around it. Also a small salid and french fries.

It was tender and tasty, and was a decent sise. 15, 900 peso was the bill.

I will return as the Pro had told me the fish there was excellent.

Member #4394
07-21-10, 18:16
Thank you for the great info. I will stay at Frank's place during Flower Fes and I love fish. I will try this restaurant.

A Pro who works Mayorista told me about this little resturant that is located around the corner from the casino in Mayorista. It is in a brand new hotel.

The waiter told me the filet minon was very good. It came with a mushroom sause and bacon wrapped around it. Also a small salid and french fries.

It was tender and tasty, and was a decent sise. 15, 900 peso was the bill.

I will return as the Pro had told me the fish there was excellent.

SlamCity7777
08-16-10, 18:36
Could one of you kind mongers please recommend to me a few fancy restaurants in Bogota?

Italian, Seafood, Steak...nice places that I can take my lady.

I'm willing to spend American prices if it's some what worth it.

Thanks

DoloresThomas
08-19-10, 01:01
Could one of you kind mongers please recommend to me a few fancy restaurants in Bogota?

Italian, Seafood, Steak...nice places that I can take my lady.

I'm willing to spend American prices if it's some what worth it.

ThanksBest restaurants in town:

Top Notch:

Astrid y Gastón, calle 68 and carrera 7, corner - top notch peruvian food, modernized

Criterión, calle 69 A, between carrera 5 and 7 - supposed to be the best of the best, french cuisine reinvented, very expensive but worth it

Matiz, Calle 95, between carrera 11 and 13 - peruvian trained chef. Innovative

Harry Sasson, Zona Rosa, "T" Zone, near Andino - a classic now. Wonderful smoked fish (mero), that I always recommend.

La Fragata, World Trade Center, calle 100, between carrera 7 and 11 - Seafood, very traditional

Pajares Salinas - Calle 96, between carrera 10 and 11 - Spanish food. Not my cup of tea, but home of the most powerful colombians' meals and meetings

Chesscat
09-12-10, 14:39
Try Mondongos on Calle 10, locals eat there, very good food, the actual Mondongo is so big there is no way you can eat it all, they offer half which is probably more than enough. Very good and highly recommended!

Mel365
09-13-10, 05:06
My two favorites are Pesceria Jamarillo and cafe Renault.

Both in park 93.

The seafood, lobsters and king crab thermador are incredible in pesceria

The italian fod at renault is up to NY standards, they also have an antipasti bar about 20 feet long pick wht you like and pay by the KG. They also have a sushi bar.

Mel

Bouncelini
09-13-10, 19:17
I like robalo. Many net sites explain that robalo is snook or sea bass. But it seems to me it tastes like grouper. If you have any knowledge/info about robalo, I would appreciate it. I also liked sierra in Cartagena.I have eaten this fish many times in MDE. I have been told that it is a fresh water fish, similar to trout. I think the closest tasting to it is sea bass.

Vitrea
09-13-10, 23:23
Guys,

Where is the best place to get empanadas in MDE? I have decent info on the overall restaurant scene but I am curious if anyone knows about a good empanada place.

Thank you

Member #4394
12-29-10, 16:06
Restaurants and vendors sell black coffee, tinto. Is this instant coffee or real coffee?

Manizales911
12-29-10, 16:33
Restaurants and vendors sell black coffee, tinto. Is this instant coffee or real coffee?It can be either. The problem with the coffee quality in general is that all the quality beans are exported because countries like the USA will pay a lot more for quality beans than Colombians will, the locals get left with the crap. You can find quality coffee of course at Juan Valdez shops but you will pay three times (or more) than what the local café will charge you.

LuckyEddie
02-22-11, 21:19
I love pizza too.. I tried the Colombian pizza and it was ok. I also went to the "best" brick oven pizzeria in Medellin.. the one across from the Tiger Paw hostel. It's a thin slice and small pizza variety. The pasta was pretty good but the servings were small. The pizza was just Ok. It's still not no NY pizza! If you go to NY, check out DiFara's pizza ($5 a plain slice), tell me it doesn't taste different!The Pizza place across from Tiger Paw closed two weeks ago. I don't know if it is for good or for renovations.

John Gault
02-23-11, 15:17
One of my favorite foods is pizza. So far the only really good pizza I have found in Latin America is in Costa Rica.

My question is in MDE is anyone willing to share their favorite pizza place. John gave me a pretty good spot in Laureles, but I want to try other areas. I am usually in MDE for long periods of time and I can't go eat the garbage at Pizza Hut, or the other US chains that operate in MDE.

LuckyEddie
02-25-11, 23:39
The Pizza place across from Tiger Paw closed two weeks ago. I don't know if it is for good or for renovations.Notonly is it clsoed down but as of yesterday it is knocked down. Somone is redoing the corner. Probably a new restuarant.

Member #4394
02-26-11, 06:00
I have not been there, but heard that La Pizzeria is good. http://colombiareports.com/travel-in-colombia/medellin/11297-downtown-medellins-gastronomic-pearls.html

One of my favorite foods is pizza. So far the only really good pizza I have found in Latin America is in Costa Rica.

My question is in MDE is anyone willing to share their favorite pizza place. John gave me a pretty good spot in Laureles, but I want to try other areas. I am usually in MDE for long periods of time and I can't go eat the garbage at Pizza Hut, or the other US chains that operate in MDE.

Hillbilly69
02-26-11, 12:08
I got good Pizza in Parque Lleras at Pizza 1969 Gourmet

John Gault
02-26-11, 14:51
Thanks Matt Phyche and hillbilly69 for your pizza tips.

Now only if I could find a steak sub in Colombia. LOL

LuckyEddie
02-26-11, 21:49
Thanks Matt Phyche and hillbilly69 for your pizza tips.

Now only if I could find a steak sub in Colombia. LOLActually the real LuckyEddie knows of an awesome Pizza place and I went there with him once. I will contact him and get the 411.

Member #4394
03-26-11, 03:44
Have you been to Argentina? I went to a few pizzerias in Buenos Aires and ate a few slices (not a whole pizza). Strange, these slices were not hot (just room temparature) , but the restaurants were obviously locals' favorites and they were waiting in line for cold slices of pizzas.

Yujin
04-17-11, 03:05
I just returned from a four week trip to Bogota, Cartagena, and Medellin. I'm on a low salt diet so my taste bud is more sensitive to salt, but the excessive amount of salt on restaurant served food surprised me. I also noticed that they over cooked their meats (steaks, chickens, etc.).

Ordering food in Colombia was an adventure at times. Oftentimes, I'd order something thinking it was one thing, but got something else.

In Bogota, my favorite restaurant was La Asturiana located at 16A-40 Calle 85 and Cra 18. It's located about 1/2 between Hooters and the Calle 85 TransMilenio station. I was never disappointed with the quality, taste (a little over salted at times) , and portions served. They have a lunch and dinner menu special for COP$13, 000. COP$16, 000.

Gringo7900
04-22-11, 17:56
I like the Arepas in Barranquilla, the place out the city are better.

Gringo7900
04-22-11, 17:57
I walk in the beach in Cartagena, the problem are de sell food, I don't like the sea food,

Chesscat
06-04-11, 02:44
I ate at Rancheritos en Avenida Las Palmas, most excellent. The food is mostly typical, it's sort of a slightly nicer Mondongos, with nice wooden tables and very good service.

I also had an adventure in eating, I'm still unclear about it. I got off at the train stop Tricentenario. I was trying to find a local friend, with no luck, and after wandering around for a while I hailed a taxi and asked him to take me to a typical type restaurant, but nice and comfy. The area there, around the Tricentenario train stop, is I believe near or at barrio Bello, which is of course a big place, I believe close to half a million people live there. But over some little bridge, the barrio is Zamora. The restaurant I ended up at was an open air, wooden bench with palm ceiling type place, with most excellent food, particularly grilled meat. The juice was natural, something like, as I recall, Guayaba, I don't recall the name exactly, but the food I ordered was simply Bandeja Paisa. And is was super, all sorts of things I didn't know the name of, but with avocado, yuca (which I especially requested) , beans, rice, and then the good stuff, chorrizo and other meats, and for me, I requested ahí, which seems to be mostly made en casa, and delicious as a hot sauce. So this restaurant, wherever it may be, in barrio Zamora, is highly recommended.

Member #4394
06-16-11, 04:15
I would appreciate any info about vegetarian restaurants in Medellin. Thanks.

Yujin
06-16-11, 04:49
I would appreciate any info about vegetarian restaurants in Medellin. Thanks.I read somewhere that there's a Hare Krishna restaurant in downtown Medellin.

Member #4394
07-08-11, 04:45
Have anybody been to Amazon side, and tried local food? Any good / exotic river fish?

Yujin
07-09-11, 06:26
I would appreciate any info about vegetarian restaurants in Medellin. Thanks.I haven't eaten there, but this is suppose to be one of the better vegetarian restaurant in Medellin: http://www.ricoverdeo.com/ Hopefully, they don't over-salt the food.

Artisttyp
07-09-11, 06:37
I would appreciate any info about vegetarian restaurants in Medellin. Thanks.There was one open for lunch on the corner where parque bolivar meets the pedestrian walkway in the centro. If you can't find it locate the little yogurt / fruit counter in the mini mall immediately upon entering the pedestrian walkway from parque bolivar. They will point you in the right direction.

Member #4394
07-09-11, 15:19
Yujin and Artisttyp, thanks a lot. I will try them next month!

There was one open for lunch on the corner where parque bolivar meets the pedestrian walkway in the centro. If you can't find it locate the little yogurt / fruit counter in the mini mall immediately upon entering the pedestrian walkway from parque bolivar. They will point you in the right direction.

John Gault
07-09-11, 16:04
Colombian Food Forum. What a great idea. To bad most guys would rather use the MDE or the General info board to talk about their favorite foods.

I am a little guilty of this myself, but guys if you want to do a old home week then a PM would be a great means to catch up on old times.

On another note. We all have our favorite foods in the countrys that we visit. It's funny how on the first day back home from our adventures we rush to get a big helping of our favorite fast food. Say what you want about the decline of the USA, but the food is great still.

BayBoy
07-15-11, 18:03
I read somewhere that there's a Hare Krishna restaurant in downtown Medellin.The Hare Krishna restaurant is on Calle 51 close to the corner of Carrera 52. Its upstairs. Been in there and looked around, but didn't sit down and eat.

Member #4394
07-15-11, 18:37
Thanks a lot. I will go there!

The Hare Krishna restaurant is on Calle 51 close to the corner of Carrera 52. Its upstairs. Been in there and looked around, but didn't sit down and eat.

BayBoy
07-15-11, 23:08
Let me know how the food is at the Hare Krishna place, Matt Psyche.

I like the saludable (healthy) foods served on the plates here in Colombia. Veggies, salads, rice and beans, plantain, fried banana, patacon, soups, fruits etc. The main dishes are another story.

Member #4394
07-15-11, 23:34
I will report in August. BTW, there are many great vegetarian restaurants in Buenos Aires, AR.

Let me know how the food is at the Hare Krishna place, Matt Psyche.

I like the saludable (healthy) foods served on the plates here in Colombia. Veggies, salads, rice and beans, plantain, fried banana, patacon, soups, fruits etc. The main dishes are another story.

Member #4244
07-16-11, 01:05
Bogota is littered with very good restaurants, tremendous Argentine steakhouses and some good comida tipica as well.

Medellin is truly a mixed bag, there is a row of restaurants with some Mediterranean food that is good a bit northeast of Parque Lleras, Mangles is a nice little gem above the Parque there (por toda la calle 10) and there are a lot of little cheap chicken spots that hit the spot on the cheap.

Overall, I don't push the food of Colombia as a reason to go there, it's just serviceable. On the coast, I love seafood and even I think it's hit and miss. Price and quality are seldom correlated. La Olla Cartagenera is a nice value place in Boca Grande (Cartagena). I would not recommend any sushi place in the country (I keep trying them like a damn fool) though I ate at one in a hotel in Cartagena (right on the beach, cannot recall exact name at the moment) that I'd recommend if you're dying for some.

Club D Pesca is a very legit place to entertain guests or dates, it is costly by Colombia standards, pretty average by USA standards for a half decent meal ($25-$60 per person). La Vitrola is always booked, I don't like the atmosphere as much but some of the dishes are wonderful, the filet mignon with a heavy balsamic sauce was incredible. Price is about the same as Club D Pesca but the portions are smaller and they act like you have to fuck Bea Arthur and her dad just to get a table. Show up early, as in right when they open, or make reservations well in advance. I found that Spanish place everyone talks up to be overrated. Great jugos to be had all over.

Santa Marta has a lot of kinda upscale places, most of them are a bust. That one that overlooks the ocean that's way the hell up the hill is overpriced and the food is weak. They don't even have half the stuff on the menu. They treat the meat with some weird tenderizer, fish is just OK. Pez Caribe is also very average, reasonable price especially considering you don't have to drive too deep if you're in El Rodadero. The places I would recommend are Ben why Josef on the main drag down by Parque de los Novios, very good local steak, decent shrimp dishes and European service. That is kind of my go to place to take a date or a friend I am entertaining. There are a couple of enterprising American brothers (as in fraternal brothers, not African-Americans) who have opened two decent places. Agave Azul serves a tamer version of Mexican food (not nearly as spicy as real Mexican stuff) that is good and reasonably priced (dishes between 7K and 20K COP). Lunch there is a great value, dinner is decent and the staff is very friendly. The cook is an Asian-American from the Carolinas, really solid dude. He has now transitioned to doing more at their new place, Ouzo, a Mediterranean place that serves a mix of Greek and Italian fare mostly. It's a much nicer atmosphere and they are both working checking out. AA is in Plaza San Francisco and Ouzo is up closer to the main stretch (not the Plaza SF is far) , so both in El Centro.

Cali I didn't get to eat much, had a girlfriend that like to eat her meals with her nose and she often shared!

John Gault
07-16-11, 02:41
The Hare Krishna restaurant is on Calle 51 close to the corner of Carrera 52. Its upstairs. Been in there and looked around, but didn't sit down and eat.I was there last yaer. Cafateria style. I liked it, and some hot girls seem to eat there. Gets nice play at lunch time.

Member #4394
08-11-11, 22:23
Thanks for the info, BayBoy and John G. My stomach is getting better so I went to the vegetarian / Hare Krishna restaurant, Govinda's, in El Centro after visiting casas today. When I was heading to the restaurant, I saw a soccer shirt of Atletico National on Pasaje Junin. I asked a lady how much it was, and the answer was 40k peso. Just a block away, I saw the same (perhaps) shirt and a guy told me it was 15k peso. I almost bought it but thought I may be able to find it later for even less.

Govinda's is on Clle 51 close to Cra 52. It is on the second floor while a paisa diner / restaurant is on the 1st floor. Many young people w / Hare Krishna / eastern clothes. People were nice and friendly. As JG said, it was cafeteria style, which I really liked. First time in 20 years, I saw Colombians waiting on the line and do not cut in! 7. 5k for buffet including tea / juice. Typical Hare Krishna food with a lot of potato. It was better than the Hare Krishna food I ate in Buenos Aires and New York. The tea had very good taste and good smell. I felt (not totally sure) the tea cured my stomach. Also the cake contained minimal amount of sugar, which resulted in a very classy taste. Though I waited on the line for 2nd round solely for the cake, it ran out. Overall, very good food and reasonable price. BTW, my favorite veggie restaurants are some Chinese vegetarian restaurants in Buenos Aires and a Taiwanese restaurant in Tokyo.

Again, Thanks a lot, BayBoy. Probably I am going to Guatape with one of Centro casa or Mayorista chicas this Sunday.

The Hare Krishna restaurant is on Calle 51 close to the corner of Carrera 52. Its upstairs. Been in there and looked around, but didn't sit down and eat.

Yujin
08-17-11, 05:18
For those unfamiliar with Colombian food, here's a link to an informative website:

http://www.southamerica.cl/Colombia/Food.htm

Kukulkan
08-21-11, 05:59
Anyone Know a good Italian Food place here in Medellin?

Thanks,

Kukulkan

Wet Nose
09-03-11, 03:04
Al Rojo is passable for Italian. Nice thin crust pizza. But overall quality wouldn't last long vs a world class Italian restaurant.

Went to a brilliant restaurant yesterday. Called Carmen, in Poblado, Cra 36 10A-27. Rated by tripadvisor as one of the best in Medellin, it offers great food. But not cheap. Well compared to other Medellin restaurants. Main courses range from 30, 000. 45, 000 pesos. Salads are about 20, 000 pesos. But it could possibly be one of your best meals in Medellin.

John Gault
09-20-11, 01:26
It had been seven months since my last visit to this Italian resturant. I greeted the owner (Salvatore) , and he remembered my name. A nice welcome for me.

I love the hot little rolls. If you ask you can get a hot dipping oil instead of the more common oil.

Dinner for two with one drink each was 49K. That included the tip. The locals like this place as I alwaya see no Gringos there.

My thanks to John from the Laureles Penthouse (don't know if he still has the Penthouse) who envited me there a few years ago.

BeersTerry
10-11-11, 16:08
I have been to two very good Italian restaurants in Medellin. Not world class but still very good.

So John, you were sandbagging me when I coughed up that name ?

John Gault
10-12-11, 02:54
I have been to two very good Italian restaurants in Medellin. Not world class but still very good.

So John, you were sandbagging me when I coughed up that name?Crispino Pizza & Pasta.

Circular 1 No 74. 04.

Telefone 413 32 66

Now I get it. This was the PM you sent me. I had already been there, but didn't realize it was the same place.

A senior moment for sure.

Member #4394
01-16-12, 19:18
Colombia Reports recommends the restaurant below. I will try this venue in March.

Lenteja Express.

Calle 53 No. 42-17 (Maracaibo con Cordoba)

Right next door to Eslabon Prendido salsa bar, one of the best in Medellin, Lenteja Express is a vegetarian paradise. It's a great place to stop in for lunch and try their ultra-delicious vegetarian hamburger with lentil or garbanzo patties handmade by creator Gabriel Ramirez, or to come with friends for late-night nachos and beers. This is a downtown favorite, where simplicity and creativity have met healthy eating.

Other delicacies include vegetarian ceviche, lasagna, quesadillas, and on Fridays a special vegetarian "cazuela," with homemade vegetarian beans and toppings. If you're needing a break from meat and arepa, this is the place to go to expand your palate with spicy salsas, jalapenos, and juice blends, including an amazing flor de jaimaica guarapo mix.

http://colombiareports.com/travel-in-colombia/medellin/19867-downtown-medellins-gastronomic-pearls-part-ii.html

Member #4394
03-17-12, 01:08
Here's another vegetarian restaurant in the Centro casa area. I ate a wrap last year and it was very good. http://www.happycow.net/reviews.php?id=14230

Arjay
02-07-13, 22:32
I recommend Rumo's Pizza. CL 1 29-538 Mall Plaza. Colombia, Medellíand tel: 448 2400. It's off Tranversal Intermedial. They deliver also. Good pizza nice thin crust. A bit pricey at $50 mil pesos but, better than all in Medellin IMHO

Mr Enternational
02-08-13, 00:37
I recommend Rumo's Pizza. CL 1 29-538 Mall Plaza. Colombia, Medellíand tel: 448 2400. It's off Tranversal Intermedial. They deliver also. Good pizza nice thin crust. A bit pricey at $50 mil pesos but, better than all in Medellin IMHOWTF? Must be the most expensive pizza I have ever heard of. That costs more than pussy. Or is pussy included as one of the toppings for 50K?

Manizales911
02-08-13, 01:37
I recommend Rumo's Pizza. CL 1 29-538 Mall Plaza. Colombia, Medellíand tel: 448 2400. It's off Tranversal Intermedial. They deliver also. Good pizza nice thin crust. A bit pricey at $50 mil pesos but, better than all in Medellin IMHO50 mil for a freeking pizza? A BIT pricey, are you kidding?

Arjay
02-08-13, 20:20
50 mil for a freeking pizza? A BIT pricey, are you kidding?Yeah pricey but, enough for 4 persons

Vegas Jeff
12-06-13, 03:54
I have had some minor health issues over the past year. Due to this I am changing my diet and need to eat healthy.

I am looking for restaurants that have fresh ingredients. I know that normally the cost doubles for these places but this is exactly what I am looking for.

Went to a restaurant today, at the recommendation of The Apartment Medellin, called 3 Tipicos. I would highly recommend this place. Their website is on Facebook. I paid 20k for a large bowl of soup with beef and chicken inside. They are located a few blocks from Parque Lleras. They deliver but only until 4p.

Do any locals have any restaurant suggestions? If they deliver, even better.

Thanks in advance.

VJ

Bend Over2
12-07-13, 18:51
I have had some minor health issues over the past year. Due to this I am changing my diet and need to eat healthy.

I am looking for restaurants that have fresh ingredients. I know that normally the cost doubles for these places but this is exactly what I am looking for.

Went to a restaurant today, at the recommendation of The Apartment Medellin, called 3 Tipicos. I would highly recommend this place. Their website is on Facebook. I paid 20k for a large bowl of soup with beef and chicken inside. They are located a few blocks from Parque Lleras. They deliver but only until 4p.

Do any locals have any restaurant suggestions? If they deliver, even better.

Thanks in advance.

VJYou're doing it wrong Jeff. Get yourself a nice girl and have her cook for you.

Vegas Jeff
12-08-13, 05:32
You're doing it wrong Jeff. Get yourself a nice girl and have her cook for you.JaJaJa. Ironically my Colombian girlfriend cooking for me actually put me in this situation in the first place. With all of salt, oil, etc mixed in with the food did me in. In addition, if I was with her all of the time I would have to resign my monger membership.

Vegas Jeff
02-24-14, 00:53
Cool, because I want to revive it. Man, I know that some hardliner is going to skewer me on this one, but I have to ask!

I LOVE Colombian sancocho. Where is the best place that in Poblado, I. E, close to the Mansion?

Thanks in advance!3 Tipicos Restaurante. I ate sancocho from there every day for two weeks last trip. The website is below. They deliver also.

IMO it is a big mistake not to take advantage of delivery in El Poblado or Laureles. I use delivery at least 5 times a week. Average delivery fee is $1. Give the guy an extra $2 and he will have a huge smile every time you open the door. Average delivery time is 45 min.

I am way out in West Laureles and I found a bunch of restaurants that deliver. There are more than twice as many restaurants in El Poblado. Many restaurants have their menus online also.

http://3tipicos.com/

http://www.degusta.com.co/

SavePros321
02-24-14, 02:46
3 Tipicos Restaurante. I ate sancocho from there every day for two weeks last trip. The website is below. They deliver also.

IMO it is a big mistake not to take advantage of delivery in El Poblado or Laureles. I use delivery at least 5 times a week. Average delivery fee is $1. Give the guy an extra $2 and he will have a huge smile every time you open the door. Average delivery time is 45 min.

I am way out in West Laureles and I found a bunch of restaurants that deliver. There are more than twice as many restaurants in El Poblado. Many restaurants have their menus online also.

http://3tipicos.com/

http://www.degusta.com.co/Are you going to PM him to let him know that you posted a response to his question here? There is a good chance he does not know it (a response) is sitting here, LOL.

Vegas Jeff
02-24-14, 05:40
Are you going to PM him to let him know that you posted a response to his question here? There is a good chance he does not know it (a response) is sitting here, LOL.Yeah, will do. That is a good idea. I will do that going forward if I move something from another forum.