PDA

View Full Version : Cebu Restaurants

Admin
01-01-00, 01:00
Thread Starter.

Chicochulo
03-10-11, 11:07
Is everyone in the Philippines too busy eating pussy to report on good restaurants? I for one, think good shagging and good food go hand in hand. That's why I always ask my date to make me a sandwich before she leaves hehehehe. Anyway, I'd like to hear from some of your Cebu experts about the best food in the city. I'm sure, I'll be working up an appetite and your advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

CC

GoodEnough
03-10-11, 12:01
I don't purport to be any kind of expert on restaurants in Cebu. However, I was there for a couple of days earlier in the week, and I did get a chance to try Maya, an upscale Mexican restaurant that's often been recommended by the Dragon Slayer. I'm not sure I'd rate the food as highly as he has dine but it's a place that's well worth going.

First, the ambiance, which is quite nice. The internal architecture and the exterior courtyard where smoking is allowed, are beautifully decorated and done in extremely good taste. It's quite romantic, or at least could have been had I been with my lady, but I found it relaxing and pleasant all the same.

The menu is extensive, with a quite typical range of Mexican favorites and two or three Mexican beers. I had a Tecate beer with enchiladas in mole sauce and, while well presented and nicely served, the taste was just fair. It was a bit undercooked, a bit under-seasoned and could have used a little more spice as it wasn't piquant enough. It also wasn't hot, and it should have been. The guy with whom I was eating had an enormous burrito, and he said it was only fair.

The service was excellent. The waiter was affable, knew the menu very well, and was attentive without be obtrusive. I ordered a double espresso to be served outside, but was told that the restaurant was out of espresso beans, which is not a great sign of good management. However, the French roast I got as an alternative was excellent and served in an immaculate chromed pot.

The price was moderate, and I think the dinner for the two of us cost approximately Php1, 900, which was, I think a reasonable price.

I would, and likely will go back.

GE

Wicked Roger
03-11-11, 12:07
I agree with GE about Maya – am not a great fan of Mexican food (but more than I am of Filipino 'cuisine') and it is a nice place to go and have a meal. Prices are as GE states having been there a few times my self.

I also like to go to Gustavian and Lemnongrass in the Ayala Terraces. Doing RTFF in the Cebu you see some old FRs.

Gustavian is like and American bar / restaurant, has wonderful steaks and pork chops plus a buffet (GE I know you would never approve). But the buffet is quality and I have tried that and enjoy the ambience and the food. Costs around 1500 pesos for 2 people, buffet can be 500 pesos each plus a glass of house wine. Managed by an American and Gustavian is expanding in Cebu (not to Davao Ayala – as so popular Cebu). Menu is extensive but it does focus on its steaks.

Location is on Ayala Terrace ground floor, near to Siam (Thai) and the Greek restaurant, close to where the taxis stop to collect passenger, opposite side of the Terraces from Lemongrass,

Lemongrass is a Vietnamese restaurant and is one of my favourites. Does a nice rice crepe with pork, shrimp and stir fried vegetables, a good satay and nasi goring also. Again inexpensive and seems popular as whenever I have been there always busy. Cost is 1000-1200 pesos for two people but depends on how many dishes you chose. Has a nice lemon cooler in a jug – try it.

Location is ground floor Ayala Terraces other side of the Terraces from Gustavian, very accessible if coming from the Marriott as walk into Ayala from the hotel, and it is on your left.

Now all Cebu needs is a decent place erving British cuisine LOL

Chicochulo
03-11-11, 21:08
Great information! I'm suprised there is Mexican food in Cebu. The only comida espanol I expected to find there is the delicious taco pinay. I will be on the ground on the 25th of March. I'll try the places recommended, and add my own reviews for future consideration. After a decade of eating Cuban beans and rice, the idea of sampling the Asian cuisine seems refreshing to me. Thanks again fellas.

CC

Member #4351
03-12-11, 00:43
Best pizza I have found in Ayala Mall is at Yellow Cab Pizza. I noticed they had meatballs on the menu (with spaghetti) and asked for them to just sell me the meatballs, slice them and put them on a mushroom and cheese pizza. Really good. The restaurant beats the other pizza alternatives in the mall. They have Philippine "root beer" to drink too. I was the first to order a meatball pizza in the history of the restaurant (or at least in the history of the waiter). If enough guys ask for it, maybe they'll put it on the menu.

GoodEnough
03-12-11, 01:02
WR mentioned Siam located at Ayala Terraces, and I had forgotten that I had eaten there as well. It's a fairly standard Thai restaurant with the typical assortment of well known Thai dishes. I can't even remember what I ate, but I do remember thinking that the quality was acceptable but certainly not memorable. The prices were moderate. I think for two of us the bill was somewhere around Php1, 200 but, as the Singha beer was " out of stock" surprise surprise, we didn't consume any alcohol. The Thai ice tea was a bit weak as I recall, and the ambience was more or less standard mall décor. All in all, it's surely not worth a special trip, but if you're in the mood for Thai, and in reasonable proximity to Ayala Mall, it's not bad.

GE

Red Kilt
03-12-11, 05:30
WR mentioned Siam located at Ayala Terraces, and I had forgotten that I had eaten there as well. It's a fairly standard Thai restaurant with the typical assortment of well known Thai dishes. I can't even remember what I ate, but I do remember thinking that the quality was acceptable but certainly not memorable. The prices were moderate. I think for two of us the bill was somewhere around Php1, 200 but, as the Singha beer was " out of stock" surprise surprise, we didn't consume any alcohol. The Thai ice tea was a bit weak as I recall, and the ambience was more or less standard mall theécor. All in all, it's surely not worth a special trip, but if you're in the mood for Thai, and in reasonable proximity to Ayala Mall, it's not bad.

GEI have taken one of my Cebu favorites to Siam twice now because she loves it. I introduced her to Thai food on our first "date" and she wanted a repeat.

GE's comments are essentially correct re decor but I have learned to disregard this factor if the food is good (think Ah Fat's in Davao; cafe decor, noisy and bustling but truly high class, excellent Chinese food).

Singha beer seems to be perpetually "out of stock", and I remarked about this to the manager on my last trip. She smiled sweetly and just said "Yes Sir" when I suggested they either take it off the menu or put a sticker beside it. The Thai Iced tea (with lychees) is very good if you like incredibly sweet drinks. My gf for the night loves it.

All in all, if you like Thai food then you will enjoy Siam but remember that the standard Thai dishes have all been tampered with to satisfy the local clientele who are, after all, their major source of business.

Lemon Grass across from Siam has it's "mother" restaurant in Serendra in The Fort in Manila but the Cebu branch is not as good as the Manila one (IMHO). However, as WR says earlier, well worth a visit for range of ethnic dishes.

Wicked Roger
03-12-11, 20:14
I have taken one of my Cebu favorites to Siam twice now because she loves it. I introduced her to Thai food on our first "date" and she wanted a repeat.

Lemon Grass across from Siam has it's "mother" restaurant in Serendra in The Fort in Manila but the Cebu branch is not as good as the Manila one (IMHO). However, as WR says earlier, well worth a visit for range of ethnic dishes. RK.

Is that my Cebu favourite and your one LOL.

Siam is OK, typical Thai food etc, nothing great, girls liked it as the rice came heart shaped!

Try the Greek (food gentleman) next to gustavia, again food not great but not bad, hearty cuisine, nice flavours and change for the usual.

And as David33 says, Yellow Cab is great for pizzas.

Gerrys Grill (Ayala Terraces close to Bos Coffee Shop). Have FR before but does a nice blue marlin steak while the girls can indulge in chop suey, sisig and all the other delightful 'flavours' of Filipino food. A good compromise and fairly inexpensive, the blue marlin is only 350 pesos and the Filipino dishes 100-200 pesos. Service can be slow and wierd at times but am used to that so I enjoy the fish and the company. Good if you a few cuties with you as the food bill will be realtively small per head.

Or Milligans the floor above for a variety of reasonably priced foor, but the band can be noisy at times, evern though the lady singer is on DIA and can be cute

Mongrinastrlnd
03-13-11, 13:46
Any recommendations for / against Olio? Its been one I've been wanting to try but my last trip was too short to make it there.

Wicked Roger
03-13-11, 20:48
Any recommendations for / against Olio? Its been one I've been wanting to try but my last trip was too short to make it there.Monga.

Is OK, nice seafood, ambience was nice, prices around 1500 pesos for 2 persons, and as located in the Crossroads not too far from Ayala and the hotels around there. Pinays love seafood as you know so give it a go, the lady will impressed and eat to her heart's content. Oysters are nice. I have mine cooked only and is great.

Used to have a 7 course menu for 2000 pesos a head, a tad expensive IMHO but depends who you are with and want to impress. Just stick to basics with the ladies is my advice and enjoy Olios

Mongrinastrlnd
03-14-11, 12:39
Monga.

Is OK, nice seafood, ambience was nice, prices around 1500 pesos for 2 persons, and as located in the Crossroads not too far from Ayala and the hotels around there. Pinays love seafood as you know so give it a go, the lady will impressed and eat to her heart's content. Oysters are nice. I have mine cooked only and is great. Thanks, will give it a go on my next trip then.

Survived the earthquake, no damage to any of my stuff and enough food stocked to last for a while, but not enjoying the prospect of 6 weeks of rolling blackouts and short train schedules so as soon as I wrap up critical things I think I'll be taking a few weeks of medical leave and go have my eyes lasiked at Cebu Doctor's University Hospital.

Questor55
03-30-11, 11:18
Casa Verde has several outlets in greater Cebu. The one located on the third floor of Ayala Mall,

Next to the escalator, is one of the most popular restaurants in Cebu. Expect a line up there, every evening.

However, turnover is quite rapid and wait time estimates are fairly accurate. Theme is an approximation of an American sports bar. Clientel is mostly local Philippinos and Korean students. They are drawn by the reasonable prices and large helpings of various tasty dishes. Brians Ribs (188 P) and Fish and Fries (158 P) are popular.

Favourites. Clubhouse Sandwiches, steaks and other hearty fare also recommended. Not a gourmet place, but.

Good food, decent service, happy atmosphere, and reasonable prices keep Casa Verde humming. Your date.

Will consider this place a treat.

Mayntain
04-08-11, 02:17
I 've eaten at Casa Verde plenty of times but not by choice because my gf loves it there. But if thats what they call BBQ in the phils, I will be doing a lot of business if I decided to open a restaurant there. Here in Texas we SMOKE our BBQ til its tender. Casa Verde BBQ taste like its done in a oven instead in a bbq pit! Then they slap some sweet BBQ sauce on it. If you guys love it, I'm happy for you!

Member #4647
04-08-11, 10:20
I went there and ordered a steak medium well, my friend told me to order it well done but I refused, considering I usually order my steaks medium rare in the states. Someone needs to tell the casa verde chefs that medium well does not mean blood raw on the inside and burnt on the outside.

Siam and lemongrass are my two favorite places to eat at the terraces. Gilligans is a good spot to hang out with expats and enjoy a cold cheap san mig but the food is average at best.

Buko Max
04-12-11, 04:13
Best pizza I have found in Ayala Mall is at Yellow Cab Pizza.Yellow Cab Pizza serves up excellent NYC style thin crust pizza and is certainly better then the alternatives, namely Pizza Hut and Sbarro. But I was shocked to find out that they are a multinational pizza chain with locations in the USA!

If you are in the mood for pizza, I suggest trying the local pizza chain, Albertos. Almost a carbon copy of YC but less expensive and of similar quality. They have a website but for some reason it is down. Will post it once it is up and running again.

Buko Max
04-14-11, 23:25
Here is the link to their website:

http://www.albertospizzacebu.com/index.php

Try it, you like it!

Questor 55
05-12-11, 16:31
The Moon Cafe shares a number of commonalities with Cafe Verde. Both have several.

Locations, a take on international ambience, reasonable prices, and are very popular with.

Those locals with disposable income. At I. T. Park. Moon Cafe commands the choice location.

In Ayala it is on the top floor, north side.

The restaurant has a Mexican theme in decor and dishes. If you hope to find authentic Mexicana,

Keep searching. This is the Philippines! However, if you want a place that will please your date,

Serve edible food, priced right, provide a pleasant dining experience, then Moon Cafe is a good choice,

Col Law
09-12-11, 11:23
No one has mentioned the lighthouse chain not sure how many they have but good value and ambiance, can be a bit cold with the air con so low I would say worth a go.

There is one at country mull, and one near the green mango hotel not sure if there are others.

X Man
09-13-11, 14:17
There is one at Ayala. I especially like the decor.

Having lived in S. California for ten years, I agree with the Questor. This is a far cry from authentic Mexican cuisine and is only a fair copy of TexMex. There is one in the small, newish mall at Osmena circle. What is the mall called, I have no idea. Robinsons II? It's over near the hospital with a Chinese name. OMG, my memory seems to be fading. Or maybe I just put the Philippines into the mental archives in between visits.

Now, where did I put my glasses and house key. Hope I can find my card with the Chinese name hospital before the next visit. The skin doctor was female and young and attractive. And that nasty rash was gone in two days. X.

The Moon Cafe

SNIP.

The restaurant has a Mexican theme in decor and dishes. If you hope to find authentic Mexicana,

Keep searching. This is the Philippines! However, if you want a place that will please your date,

Serve edible food, priced right, provide a pleasant dining experience, then Moon Cafe is a good choice,

Buko Max
09-27-11, 06:27
No one has mentioned the lighthouse chain not sure how many they have but good value and ambiance, can be a bit cold with the air con so low I would say worth a go.

There is one at country mull, and one near the green mango hotel not sure if there are others.Yes I would agree that Lighthouse is very good local cuisine! Actually, one location is next to the Mango Park Hotel. Their only other location is in Country Mall. Mag'pakabusog ka! :cool:

Stroker Ace88
11-27-11, 06:38
Siam is one of my favorite restaurants in Cebu, but lately the food quality has been in decline. I found a long black hair in my Som Tam the last time I visited and the portion sizes have been decreasing. The quality of the raw tuna in the spicy tuna salad has been replaced with a lesser grade and they have been running out of some of the basic dipping sauces. Not a good sign. They also have a few new OJT servers. One of which hovered near my table and asked every 3 minutes to remove plates and dishes before I had finished with them. It must have been her first night and she was just eager to do her job and hopefully get hired as a full time paid staff but it made me feel rushed.

I tried the Thai restaurant on the second level of SM near the Philippine Airlines outlet a few weeks ago (forgot the name) , and found the food not worth a second visit.

I also noticed a new trend starting in Cebu with automatic 8 or 10% service charges now standard in more of the restaurants. Just a few restaurants had automatic service charges 6months ago. This guarentees the staff a nice tip and makes them even less inclined to provide good service and good food since no matter what they will get a share of the service charge.

Look over your BIR receipt and check if there is a service charge and tip accordingly.

Trentz
12-18-11, 22:59
Casa verde is quitefair. I don't like eating in Ayala Casa verde though.

The best Casa verde is their original restaurant which is located at the back of Robinsons Mall.

Brymor
12-29-11, 18:30
This is a very well known establishment amongst mongers, ex pats and locals but rarely gets a mention on the board so I thought I would chip in with my recommendation. Situated next to the Crowne Garden Hotel, it is not your typical Foreigner frequented dining establishment. Part of it is open air, you must put up with plastic tables and chairs, and the serrvice varies from good to pretty bad and it can appear quite chaotic at times, however.

They offer a fantastic selection of fresh seafood including fish, shellfish, poultry and pork which you self select and hand in to be cooked however you want. You can spend as little or as much as you want and the tiger prawns cooked in chilli or garlic are a must. You will need to put up with groups of boisterous Pinoys drinking Red Horse, you will frequently need to wait for a table to be cleared but for simple, well cooked and healthy food this place takes some beating. I can highly recommend the Kan Kong if you are into vegtables, it is probably the best I have eaten anywhere, cooked in a light sauce with lashings of fresh garlic.

I have taken Daisy and her kids there for a slap up meal that costs around 800 pesos or I have splashed out on the best seafood for two and spent around 1000.

It is one of my favourite places, don't let its down trodden appearance fool you, it is NEVER quiet and this is a reflection of the excellent food served there.

Stroker Ace88
12-29-11, 23:49
This is a very well known establishment amongst mongers, ex pats and locals but rarely gets a mention on the board so I thought I would chip in with my recommendation. Situated next to the Crowne Garden Hotel, it is not your typical Foreigner frequented dining establishment. Part of it is open air, you must put up with plastic tables and chairs, and the serrvice varies from good to pretty bad and it can appear quite chaotic at times, however.

It is one of my favourite places, don't let its down trodden appearance fool you, it is NEVER quiet and this is a reflection of the excellent food served there.AA Barbeque has several locations in and around Cebu (A. S. Fortuna, Guadalupe, Mactan, Lahug, ect) and is also one of my favorites. Serves good food at great prices. Ironically enough I found myself eating there most often when there was a brown-out as the fast food outlets and the malls will close up tight for fear of a robbery. They provided candles on each table and the suddenly crappy surroundings of plastic chairs and guys drinking red horse faded away into a very romantic and pleasant evening. Highly recommended.

I can also recommend Abuhan Dos on F. Ramos street as another good place to eat local food at decent prices. The place is abit worn and the decor is trapped somewhere in the 80's but the place is a virtual Cebu institution. It's open 24hrs so when your girl is craving rice and grilled fish at 2am this is the place to go. Good shrimp in chilli paste and pancit bihon.

For the really adventurous there is Larshan's outdoor marketplace / eatery located between the Fuente police station and the newer Robinsons Cybergate mall. Lots of stalls that offer chicken or pork BBQ sticks and you can walk around and look at the other offerings. Best to look at the offerings and get your girl to do the ordering once you have made your choice.

X Man
12-30-11, 05:45
This place is on the corner where you would go to Red Lips bar and is across from Yellow cab pizzas. It's been there forever and has great food. It's very spacious and seems to attract a regular crowd of Italians.

X

Buko Max
12-30-11, 10:10
AA Barbeque has several locations in and around Cebu (A. S. Fortuna, Guadalupe, Mactan, Lahug, ect) and is also one of my favorites.They are up to something like eight locations now and interestingly, some have higher prices then others in the chain. Have been eating there for years myself and frequent the Mandaue locale. After dinner sometimes I hit a bucket of balls as there is a driving range behind it. Some locations have spit roasted Carabao on the weekends!

The last time I ate there, they had some squid available so I had it grilled up. People who eat squid know that if you overcook squid it turns to rubber. There in lied the problem because it was lightly grilled but apparently not cooked through and as a consequence, I contracted a mild case of Hep A. Probably my fault for not getting the inoculations and I will continue to eat there.

For the really adventurous there is Larshan's outdoor marketplace / eatery located between the Fuente police station and the newer Robinsons Cybergate mall. Lots of stalls that offer chicken or pork BBQ sticks and you can walk around and look at the other offerings.One time I was famished and it was late so I picked out a few chicken medley sticks and sat down at the covered eating area across from the grills. While I was eating I felt something at my feet. Looking down under the table was the biggest rat I have ever seen! In fact there were numerous rats hanging out near a hole in the ground! Suddenly I lost my appetite and told one of the vendors and he said "It's okay, we feed them all the time"! :eek:

Buko Max
12-30-11, 10:32
This place is on the corner where you would go to Red Lips bar and is across from Yellow cab pizzas. It's been there forever and has great food. It's very spacious and seems to attract a regular crowd of Italians.That place is not bad but not very authentic as the owner is Italian, how about that! Maybe he is originally from the Alps? Instead I recommend Vienna Kaffeehaus with five locations around town:

http://www.viennakaffeehaus.com/about.php

Mayntain
01-03-12, 00:47
[QUOTE=Trentz; 1228169]Casa verde is quitefair. I don't like eating in Ayala Casa verde though.

The best Casa verde is their original restaurant which is located at the back of Robinsons Mall. [/QUOTT.

The original Casa Verde is on a side street off of Ramos st, behind the CBO bank. Off the beaten path so to say.

Stroker Ace88
01-05-12, 17:21
[QUOTE=Trentz; 1228169]The original Casa Verde is on a side street off of Ramos st, behind the CBO bank. Off the beaten path so to say.Umm, that would be CDO Bank. CBO Bank does not exist.

Also neoneo has opened recently just across from abuhan restaurant on F. Ramos and serves good local food. Can become very busy Thursday-Sunday nights, go early to avoid the crowds.

Sammon
01-05-12, 17:35
there is a mexican restaurent at ayala mall extension where all the restaurents are. drinks which you can buy as pitcher full is out of this world especially " speedy gonzalez ". cost around 160 pesos.

they do not know how to cook mexian food even if their life depended on it. but the pork and beef non-mexican dishes are very good. it looks like they buy the best cuts.

Stroker Ace88
01-05-12, 18:39
there is a mexican restaurent at ayala mall extension where all the restaurents are. drinks which you can buy as pitcher full is out of this world especially " speedy gonzalez ". cost around 160 pesos.

they do not know how to cook mexian food even if their life depended on it. but the pork and beef non-mexican dishes are very good. it looks like they buy the best cuts.you mean ayala terraces or inside the mall? do you remember the name?

if you post a review or some thoughts on a restaurant you should include the name so others know what place you are referring to.

Member #4351
01-05-12, 19:02
II don't remember the name either, but its on the second floor over the Greek place and Gustavion. Truly DISGUSTING Mexican food. If you must eat Mexican go to Maya, but bring plenty of money, repeat your order slowly three or four times, and expect mini portions.

Stroker Ace88
01-05-12, 21:55
II don't remember the name either, but its on the second floor over the Greek place and Gustavion. Truly DISGUSTING Mexican food. If you must eat Mexican go to Maya, but bring plenty of money, repeat your order slowly three or four times, and expect mini portions.Do you mean Moon Cafe? Sometimes spelled 'Mooon Cafe'. I have only been to the Robinsons Cybergate location on Fuente and I did not order mexican food so can't comment.

I agree Maya is more expensive but the food is good (for the Philippines) and I think we are paying for the decor more than anything else.

Finrod
01-08-12, 00:12
Do you mean Moon Cafe? Sometimes spelled 'Mooon Cafe'. I have only been to the Robinsons Cybergate location on Fuente and I did not order mexican food so can't comment.

I agree Maya is more expensive but the food is good (for the Philippines) and I think we are paying for the decor more than anything else.I've never had good Mexican food anywhere in the Phils. So I just avoid those restaurants on general principle now.

Aussie Jo
01-08-12, 10:52
On the ground floor of the Terraces area their is a Mylasian restaurant which I ate at the other night. I thought the food was good.

The bit that really stood out is that you eat your meal with knife and fork straight off a banana leaf.

I'd certainly eat there again.

Questor55
01-09-12, 03:50
II don't remember the name either, but its on the second floor over the Greek place and Gustavion. Truly DISGUSTING Mexican food. If you must eat Mexican go to Maya, but bring plenty of money, repeat your order slowly three or four times, and expect mini portions.David, don't you think you are being more than a tad too harsh? After all, the quest in the Philippines is to find food that's edible and not likely to cause major stomach upset, or worse! Almost all food of foreign ethnic origins is cooked and served 'Filipino Style'. It's worth taking the trip to CDO to eat at 'La Vetta' in Limkatkai, just for an authentic European dining experience. On a more prosaic note, the best thing about McDonald's in PI, is that the burgers taste no worse than they do in the USA.

Member #4351
01-09-12, 15:30
David, don't you think you are being more than a tad too harsh?I think it IS called Moon Cafe or something along those lines. So go there and try the Mexican food. I will wait for your verdict.

Mc Don
01-09-12, 16:00
On the ground floor of the Terraces area their is a Mylasian restaurant which I ate at the other night. I thought the food was good.

The bit that really stood out is that you eat your meal with knife and fork straight off a banana leaf.

I'd certainly eat there again.I have eaten in the banana leaf in Makati and yeah food is ok. Nice and cheap place with good range of dishes to pick from all over asia. You will find malay, viet, indo and thai food to pick from.

Sammon
01-09-12, 17:28
You mean Ayala Terraces or inside the mall? Do you remember the name?

If you post a review or some thoughts on a restaurant you should include the name so others know what place you are referring to.It is at Ayala terrace where all the restaurents are not inside the mall. Do not remember the name. By name it does not sound Mexican but the decor definitely Mexican. It is upstairs.

Most of the time it is crowded. Cannot miss it. It is the only mexican restaurent there.

Member #4351
01-09-12, 18:28
Here it is: http://www.vernongo.com/2011/02/moon-cafe-lunch-out-ayala-terraces.html

Questor55
01-09-12, 20:40
I think it IS called Moon Cafe or something along those lines. So go there and try the Mexican food. I will wait for your verdict.Actually, I've eaten at The Moon Cafe in Ayala twice, and at their I T Park location another time. Food was quite acceptable and even nutritious, as salads and vegetables are presented as side dishes or main course options. As I mentioned before, a search for authenticity in foreign cuisines is usually a futile quest in most of P I. More to the point, I batted 1.000 with the three nubile young ladies I took there on first dates.

Red Kilt
01-10-12, 04:10

I'd certainly eat there again.My experience with virtually all of the "Banana Leaf" chain of restaurants, and particularly the one in Ayala Cebu, is that the food appears way too oily (fatty?).

Taste is OK but my ocular inspection of the food on the plate made it much less appetising for me, but I guess I am a bit picky when it comes to healthy food.

This is just my own personal observation based on my own experience. I am not critical of anybody else's tastes.

X Man
01-10-12, 11:58
I recently ate at Banana leaf at the Terraces and I would not recommend it to anyone. Baby back ribs were tastless, and the Mango Shake was full of ice. But worst of all the mango salad has some kind of syrup ladeled on. Do I need to go on? If you eat at the Terraces, try Lemon Grass or Siam. Inside the mall there was at Italian restaurant that was very well populated. Which indicates some good food.

My experience with virtually all of the "Banana Leaf" chain of restaurants, and particularly the one in Ayala Cebu, is that the food appears way too oily (fatty?).

Taste is OK but my ocular inspection of the food on the plate made it much less appetising for me, but I guess I am a bit picky when it comes to healthy food.

This is just my own personal observation based on my own experience. I am not critical of anybody else's tastes.

Newbster
01-10-12, 16:30
My experience with virtually all of the "Banana Leaf" chain of restaurants, and particularly the one in Ayala Cebu, is that the food appears way too oily (fatty?).

This is just my own personal observation based on my own experience. I am not critical of anybody else's tastes.Hi RK, I prefer healthy food and a clean kitchen as well. Are there any places around Ayala that you'd recommend or chains that I know will be good? For example McDonald's is very strict with their cleanliness so I'd feel comfortable eating at one of those anywhere in the world. Is there a chain (s) like that in PI?

Thanks

Member #4351
01-10-12, 17:57
The locals love chain junk food. At Ayala you can find everything from McDonalds, through KFC, Shakey's Pizza, and Kenny Rogers to Krispy Kreme doughnuts.

Member #4698
01-10-12, 19:42
The locals love chain junk food. At Ayala you can find everything from McDonalds, through KFC, Shakey's Pizza, and Kenny Rogers to Krispy Kreme doughnuts."Kenny Rogers roasts a mean chicken" - Kramer.
In any other country in Asia I would consider it a travesty to eat at a chain restaurant or eat anything other than the local cuisine. Not in the Philippines. I got tired of striking out with the Philippine native food in Makati Restaurants last trip, so one night I capitulated and went to California Pizza in Greenbelt. Not bad, although I still felt a little guilty eating there. I did eat good on Sabang Beach, Palawan. The fresh seafood (Tuna Steaks and ceviche) were great in the two upscale hotel restaurants there. I tried one of the native joints on the beach and the Tuna Steak was garbage, smothered in a Soy-esque sauce to cover its less than fresh flavor I assume.

I have reconciled myself to what I will find in Cebu when I get there in about a month, but there must be some good / upscale Seafood restaurants in Cebu. There must! Any suggestions?

Aussie Jo
01-18-12, 21:03
Inside the mall there was at Italian restaurant that was very well populated. Which indicates some good food.One afternoon I found an authentic looking italian restaurant inside the mall. The internal decore definitely has an italian feel to it. I had a traditional pasta dish with bread. I recall it was quite a good meal.

Red Kilt
01-19-12, 03:16
One afternoon I found an authentic looking italian restaurant inside the mall. The internal decore definitely has an italian feel to it. I had a traditional pasta dish with bread. I recall it was quite a good meal.That is probably "Idea Italia" on the ground floor.

It has been there for at least 13 years, as it was there when I first visited the (then new) Ayala Mall in Cebu.

Part of the establishment and owned by an Italian expat / resident. Always well-populated and serves good wholesome Italian food.

Stroker Ace88
01-19-12, 04:11
One afternoon I found an authentic looking italian restaurant inside the mall. The internal decore definitely has an italian feel to it. I had a traditional pasta dish with bread. I recall it was quite a good meal.Once again, posting reviews of restaurants in and around Cebu without the name is pointless, and you did not identify the 'mall' as you put it. Red Kilt and I assume you meant Ayala since you previously posted you stayed at the Marriott. But.

Just try and be more specific when posting restaurant reviews. Items like the name of the restaurant, the name of the meal you enjoyed or disliked, the price of the meal should be mandatory When posting a review.

Other websites out there in cyberland, a restaurant review is automatically deleted unless it provides the basic info. Is including basic info too much to ask for? Hmm, maybe it is.

Tally Wacker
01-19-12, 04:57
Once again, posting reviews of restaurants in and around Cebu without the name is pointless, and you did not identify the 'mall' as you put it. Red Kilt and I assume you meant Ayala since you previously posted you stayed at the Marriott. But.

Just try and be more specific when posting restaurant reviews. Items like the name of the restaurant, the name of the meal you enjoyed or disliked, the price of the meal should be mandatory When posting a review.

Other websites out there in cyberland, a restaurant review is automatically deleted unless it provides the basic info. Is including basic info too much to ask for? Hmm, maybe it is.Hey mr internet cop are you on your period or what? BTW you forgot to name your favorite restaurant! LOL.

Did I mention that my house cleaner makes great Tinola?

Member #4351
01-19-12, 15:46
I used to travel to Cebu with my friend who was born in Italy and friends with the owner of this restaurant. There are two in Ayala Mall, the main one up near the Waterfront, one out at the Terraces and the other inside on the first floor. There is also one across the bridge on the way to the airport and in CDO. It is called Treglia or something like that and is the only restaurant which doesn't appear in the Ayala Restaurant lists: http://food.clickthecity.com/s/p=Cebu&city=Cebu&m=7401&pg=1

Stroker Ace88
01-20-12, 07:56
Hey mr internet cop are you on your period or what? BTW you forgot to name your favorite restaurant! LOL.

Did I mention that my house cleaner makes great Tinola?I posted reports detailing my favorite places to eat in and around Cebu previously on this thread. Maybe I was on my period, LOL, or could of been PMS, might of been that little bout-with-gout. No, no, maybe it was the wiki blackout or that my most recent quantum physics theory was shot down by Hawking again.

Anyway I stand by my post and the assertion that adding the name of a restaurant makes no sense at all. One only needs to employ hand gestures, cave drawings from the Paleolithic era, special comic book x-ray specs or leave a carelessly laid bread crumb trail for other board members to find the selected restaurant-de-jour. Somewhere, just somewhere right about now, Anthony Bourdain is weeping on a plate of cold half-eatten lechon and drowning his sorrow with one tecate cervza after another and shaking his head.

I am happy she makes great Tinola. MMM Tinola! Maybe you can get the recipe and post it here so I don't have to follow any more bread crumb trails. :D

http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1231518

http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1221291

Red Kilt
01-20-12, 08:26
I must say that without casting aspersions on other posters, I have to agree with Stroker A that any sort of restaurant review makes much more sense if it actually includes the NAME of the restaurant and WHERE it is located.

I can't see how anybody could quibble with this basic attention to detail. Me thinks it might be better to give these full details or just click on by.

Tally Wacker
01-20-12, 21:39
I am happy she makes great Tinola. MMM Tinola! Maybe you can get the recipe and post it here so I don't have to follow any more bread crumb trails. :DShe uses Youtube for recipies. Here is the link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diNpn9Fsbhk

Stroker Ace88
02-16-12, 15:40
I have eaten at Bigby's SM Bacolod, Bigby's SM Cebu and at Bigby's location on the second floor Ayala mall but will only discuss the Cebu locations.

Bigby's SM is a very small restaurant and I found the menu smaller as well. Visited about a month ago and I walked in 730pm with two other guests and there was a manager taking up space in one of the four booths counting up receipts. Totally mental move but in the Philippines it seems to be standard procedure. I had the full rack of ribs and the sauce was good but the meat was tough and I didn't finish it all. Price was around 700p if I remember correctly. I will not go back to the SM Cebu location due to bad service, and reduced menu options.

Bigby's Ayala is shoved into a 2nd floor corner location and makes for some strange seating plans and great people watching if you sit in the far corner looking out over the drop-off area. I had the spicy Hungarian sausage pasta. The description on the menu listed the ingredients are rotelli pasta, tomato sauce, wine and Hungarian sausages. I expected the pasta to be boiled then put into a pan with the sauce, red wine and sausages and heated for the final mixing of flavors. When served it tasted like the pasta was mixed with the sauce then wine was just drizzled over top of the pasta and then the cook added in sliced sausage to complete the dish. Price was around 350p. I also had the sizzling gambas, which is small shrimp in spicy sauce. Not bad but it's better at Gerry's Grill.

I used to order the chicken strips 'dippy-doodle-doo' served with honey-mustard sauce and 'pasta daviola', but they took those off the menu at both Cebu locations.

Questor55
02-16-12, 22:35
Every time I order seafood, anywhere in the Philippines, I wonder if this is going to be the 'sixth bullet'. Most fishing bancas head out at dusk and return in the morning. I have visions of my fish being caught early that evening, sitting in the hold without ice at 28 degrees until morning, later being sorted, sold and transported, again without ice or refrigeration. Shellfish, notorious for going 'off' quickly, offers no greater confidence. So far, so good, but I can't help feeling as if I'm playing Russian roulette any time I opt for seafood.

Frenchmen
02-17-12, 07:29
Is true that there is no ice but they keep the seafood alive that is why is not going "off"

I ate a lot of seafood and had no issues while there and I plan to eat some more starting next week while in Cebu.

Stroker Ace88
02-24-12, 16:02
I recently visited Shangri-La's Acqua Restaurant a few times. It serves primarily authentic Itailan food with a few Asian-Italian inspired dishes, here is my review.

When you enter the restaurant the decor gives off a nice intimate feeling. The white walls and trim accented with dark wood floors reinforce an old-World Italy meets new-World Tropical feel complete with high ceilings. The restaurant is located on the ground floor of the Ocean Wing and is nestled comfortably close to the Ocean Wing pool and offers seating inside the main restaurant or outside around the pool.

The restaurant offers several dining choices. They offer a very limited appetizer buffet, an a-la-carte menu or on special occasions a seperate all-included themed menu for events such as Valentine's Day, Sinulog and Easter. They do have an extensive wine list with a bias towards Itailan reds.

On my visits both my guests and I choose dishes from the a-la-carte menu. I took a look at the offerings at the appetizer buffet on my first visit but the choices were limited to bread sticks, pesto and bruschetta, garlic bread, a soup or two, melon and other fruit offerings, and some prosciutto and mortadela sliced meat to make small sandwiches. I did not see any pasta so I declined the 700P price tag for such limited fare.

I sampled the pasta dishes of my guests and they sampled mine. One night I ordered the gnocchi with pumpkin sauce (850p). Gnocchi is made with potato instead of pasta noodles and it's hard to make good gnocchi. The pumpkin sauce was good but the gnocchi was over-cooked and mushy. I should of known better to order it in the Philippines but the head chef is Italian.

I also ordered a thin crust Italian pizza (750p) on another night and it was good but again lacked that authentic Italian taste and it too was bland with the exception of the olives which were good quality and gave off the right amount of salty flavoring. The pizza sauce base I found bland and I was expecting some hints of garlic or spice but it delivered neither.

I sampled some of my guests dishes, one of which was penne with bolognese sauce (650p). It was passable but nothing special. My guest was expecting spaghetti noodles and stared at the pasta when it came and asked me what's that? LOL I don't think she had seen penne before. She ate some of it and I helped her finish it. Sauce was alittle salty. Needed some bay leaves-oregano or a small hint of sugar to balance things.

Over all I found the dishes very salty with no balancing sweetness. I don't know if that reflects the chef's own personal taste or if it reflects the large numbers of Korean guests who visit. Either way I will not return to Acqua and will find more desirable places to have dinner.

Frenchmen
02-25-12, 01:45
Pochero Abuhan-http://abuhanpochero.com/our-outlets/

I have visited the F. Ramos location and it was a nice experience.

Pochero is a traditiona beef shank sour soup and is an excellent meal for after party as it can smooth all that alcohool ingested. LOL.

The place is an old house and is nothing fancy but I felt good as I felt it was the "real deal" for someone who want to sample the real Filipino style.

We sat outside in the patio where they also have live performers, the lead singer was the tallest filipina I have ever encountered and was pretty hot (I have to double check that at a later occasion as It was late and I had a lot of Red Horse in me) but she was apparently with some local guy there so I passed on any attempts.

The pochero was good, just th right amount of sourness and the beef shank was nicely done very tender so that you can cut into the meat with the spoon, Filipino style.

We also had some liempo which was good but not the best.

Over all I think is a nice place and I would reccomend it especially if you want to try the local flavours rather than the usual mall food.

Frenchmen
02-25-12, 01:53
Zubuchon-http://www.facebook.com/pages/ZUBUchOn/225689457524580

Several branches across the city.

I have to admit that is one of the best lechon I ever had, I tried the CNT before which was also good but Zubu is better.

The places are also more modern and better looking for a westerner and definetly you have to try lechin when you are in Cebu. Is the best pork you will ever eat.

Buko Max
02-27-12, 06:24
Every time I order seafood, anywhere in the Philippines, I wonder if this is going to be the 'sixth bullet'. Most fishing bancas head out at dusk and return in the morning. I have visions of my fish being caught early that evening, sitting in the hold without ice at 28 degrees until morning, later being sorted, sold and transported, again without ice or refrigeration. Shellfish, notorious for going 'off' quickly, offers no greater confidence. So far, so good, but I can't help feeling as if I'm playing Russian roulette any time I opt for seafood.As previously stated, I contracted Hep A from AA BBQ, a reputable and popular seafood chain. Ate there the other day and it was better then ever. They have their own fishing fleet like other 'sutukil' places on Mactan and know to handle seafood.

On the other hand, I took an early morning stroll through Carbon market the other day. Perusing the seafood stalls I was shocked to see that NONE of the seafood was on ice! It was just sitting there on stainless steel gathering flies! If restaurants source their seafood from Carbon, there could be some problems. I bought some Tilapia and as far as I could tell it was very fresh.

Conversely, all the meat was hanging in the open air but I'm sure it was slaughtered that morning. That's why people go to Carbon market as early as possible!

Buko Max
02-27-12, 06:29
Zubuchon-http://www.facebook.com/pages/ZUBUchOn/225689457524580

Several branches across the city.

I have to admit that is one of the best lechon I ever had, I tried the CNT before which was also good but Zubu is better.Have not tried Zubu Chon yet but I did check their menu. It might be good but charging 490 per kilo for lechon is highway robbery!

Wicked Roger
03-05-12, 19:44
Olio (Italian) is my favourite place in Crossroads. Nice steaks also, in Alaya Gustavian is nice but IMHO has declined a little since the American manager left (now runs a specialised call centre in town) , Lemongrass is a nice Vietnamese. Gerrys Grill has good blue marlin and at the same time the lovelies can eat Filipino food so a good compromise. The is also a good Greek rstaurant near to Gustavian. Really good chicken.

I also like A Cafe for breakfast (next to Maya in the corner, in Crossroads) , nice selection, Aussie chef (same guy who I think is at Maya as same ownership). Worth a visit

If you like Mexican then Maya or the other posts.

Plenty choices depends on the flavour and company as some lovelies just like the fast food franchises followed by a Krispy Kreme (which should carry a health warning IMHO!.)

And. Where are the smileys?

Infas
03-07-12, 21:17
Any idea if the seafood buffet is still on every Friday at marriott?

I have tickets already for July.

Buko Max
03-09-12, 10:54
Good to see you posting again Rodger! Thought you could add the smilies after you submit your report by clicking the edit tab but they have been turned off!

I'm surprised you did not mention Canvas Bistro as it has become one of the best restaurants in town. Executive chef / owner Steve and his Filipina wife Estrella have got things dialed in although they recently lost their sous chef. Billed as an 'Aussie' restaurant it has numerous beef entrees including some great steaks! But the bulk of the menu is Pan Asian with many unique creations. The wine list is one of the best in town with sections picked out by Estrella who also has vast experience in food and beverage management. Would not worry too much about Gustavian as Steve has recently been hired as a consultant.

Buko Max
03-09-12, 11:03
Any idea if the seafood buffet is still on every Friday at marriott?Not sure about Marriott but the best buffet deal is currently at Radisson's Feria buffet which is at 530Php (50% discount) every Tuesdays.

Member #4351
03-09-12, 16:59
Any idea if the seafood buffet is still on every Friday at marriott?I'm sure it is. I'll be there in a few weeks and let you know. As far as seafood buffets go, I have been informed that the one at the Marriott is best. Just make sure that you reserve a table because it fills up with a lot of weathly locals. For general buffets per se, I wouldn't know. I think it depends on the food one likes and which buffet includes it. When I have stayed at the Marriott they have mixed it up; sometimes serving an Indian buffet, sometimes a Mediterranean one, etc. etc.

Sammon
03-09-12, 17:11
Not sure about Marriott but the best buffet deal is currently at Radisson's Feria buffet which is at 530Php (50% discount) every Tuesdays.Lahug casino has a great Buffett downstairs. Dinner price is 650 pesos. Lots of soups, salad, entres, made order steak and seafood etc. If you are real hungry it is great.

There are certain other buffets costing around 300 pesos. Mostly Phi and Chinese food.

Stroker Ace88
03-10-12, 02:21
Good to see you posting again Rodger! Thought you could add the smilies after you submit your report by clicking the edit tab but they have been turned off!

I'm surprised you did not mention Canvas Bistro as it has become one of the best restaurants in town. Executive chef / owner Steve and his Filipina wife Estrella have got things dialed in although they recently lost their sous chef. Billed as an 'Aussie' restaurant it has numerous beef entrees including some great steaks! But the bulk of the menu is Pan Asian with many unique creations. The wine list is one of the best in town with sections picked out by Estrella who also has vast experience in food and beverage management. Would not worry too much about Gustavian as Steve has recently been hired as a consultant.Thanks for the review and info. I will make a note to visit Canvas. Where is it located?

Not sure about Marriott but the best buffet deal is currently at Radisson's Feria buffet which is at 530Php (50% discount) every Tuesdays.Is the 50% discount from a coupon that is given out to Radisson guests or it's always 50% off on Tuesday? Last time I stayed at the Radisson they gave me a few 2-1 and 50% off coupons. I didn't use many of them as breakfast and club lounge access was included with the room.

Thanks in advance.

Buko Max
03-14-12, 10:58
Thanks for the review and info. I will make a note to visit Canvas. Where is it located?Look at the title my good man, post #66.

Is the 50% discount from a coupon that is given out to Radisson guests or it's always 50% off on Tuesday?Yes it is 50% off on Tuesdays for the general public.

Stroker Ace88
03-14-12, 19:19
Look at the title my good man, post #66.

Yes it is 50% off on Tuesdays for the general public.Sorry, I saw the Ayala headline on the review. The reply I was seeking was something like,"located third floor between the Japanese Resto Red Kimono and Moon Cafe".

I have been to alot of the resto's in Ayala and sometimes I just walk into a resto I had never visited before and try the food. Sometimes I will find a gem sometimes a one-and-done. I will forget the name if it was a the one-and-done but remember the location and the food quality.

Thanks for the 411.

GoodEnough
03-17-12, 10:47
Last night I had the dubious pleasure (?) of eating for the first-and doubtlessly the last-time at Olio located in the Crossroads. The service was on the far side of deplorable, the wine list a comedy of errors, and the food mediocre. The only aspect of the place that was "first world" were the inflated and in my mind unjustified, prices. It's been a long time since I've been in a restaurant with a staff what was so inept. This place is to fine dining as Macdonalds is to prime beef.

GE

Sxxxx
04-19-12, 09:35
I have reconciled myself to what I will find in Cebu when I get there in about a month, but there must be some good / upscale Seafood restaurants in Cebu. There must! Any suggestions?Lighthouse Restaurant, Mango Avenue. Opens 6pm. 8pm on its crowded. Been there for 30, 40 years or more. Every taxi driver knows it. Not upscale, certainly not downscale.

Stroker Ace88
04-20-12, 02:19
Lighthouse Restaurant, Mango Avenue. Opens 6pm. 8pm on its crowded. Been there for 30, 40 years or more. Every taxi driver knows it. Not upscale, certainly not downscale.Lighthouse has a second location in Banilad, Gaisano Country Mall.

Wicked Roger
04-22-12, 16:31
Thanks for the review and info. I will make a note to visit Canvas. Where is it located?Mattrick.

Yes forgot to mention.

Is a great palce to eat, extensive menu and nice food. Had a good time and great company. The lamb shank is excellent, meat falls from the bone and is the pork. Good range of salads and desserts are good so had two!

Five of us, but three had 2 courses and other had desserts. With drinks the bill totalled 3000 pesos. Main course are between 200-600 pesos but the Aussie steak is more but worth it.

Location is next to Red Kimono, go up the escalators and is immediately on your left

Stroker Ace88
04-22-12, 18:58
[SNIP]Location is next to Red Kimono, go up the escalators and is immediately on your leftI will check them out one of these days. Thanks.

Col Law
05-05-12, 14:26
Just been and had a wonderful meal in this restaurant food was tasty and I left nothing on my plate, the menu was mainly of a Filipino bent, there was the some western food, steaks. The restaurant is open air and on some nights has music not the cheapest place I have been to but the food was the tastiest. Well worth a visit
Address, 412 Orchid, Capitol site,Cebu city. Phone number 4124158

Starchild2012
05-07-12, 10:51
Just been and had a wonderful meal in this restaurant food was tasty and I left nothing on my plate, the menu was mainly of a Filipino bent, there was the some western food, steaks. The restaurant is open air and on some nights has music not the cheapest place I have been to but the food was the tastiest. Well worth a visit.

Address. 412 Orchid, Capitol site, Cebu city. Phone number 4124158Thanks for the info.

X Man
06-07-12, 14:41
GE, are you trying to tell us you didn't like the place? Stop beating around the Bush!

I've also been there. ONLY once. I do remember that the decor and ambience made it look like a high-end place, but the illusion is quickly shattered.

Last night I had the dubious pleasure (?) of eating for the first-and doubtlessly the last-time at Olio located in the Crossroads. The service was on the far side of deplorable, the wine list a comedy of errors, and the food mediocre. The only aspect of the place that was "first world" were the inflated and in my mind unjustified, prices. It's been a long time since I've been in a restaurant with a staff what was so inept. This place is to fine dining as Macdonalds is to prime beef.

GE

Starchild2012
06-08-12, 05:38
This is a local Cebu guy youtue channel who was in US before. Pretty good info on everything related to Cebu. The guy has a website as well plus review of good restaurants in Cebu on his youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/EverythingCebu/videos

Brymor
06-08-12, 18:58
I agree with XMan and GE there is nothing to recommend this place, having eaten there once myself just after Christmas last year with WR.

The food was reasonable, but not outstanding but the meal was ruined completely when the waiter forgot one of the side dishes that I ordered, which was essential to round off the meal. In fact it made such an impression on me I cannot even now remember what it was that I ordered. WR was far too polite to complain and I bit my tongue and tried not to make a fuss. I also thought the prices were exorbitant in the context of the standards of service and quality of food served.

Wicked Roger
06-08-12, 19:57
I agree with XMan and GE there is nothing to recommend this place, having eaten there once myself just after Christmas last year with WR.

The food was reasonable, but not outstanding but the meal was ruined completely when the waiter forgot one of the side dishes that I ordered, which was essential to round off the meal. In fact it made such an impression on me I cannot even now remember what it was that I ordered. WR was far too polite to complain and I bit my tongue and tried not to make a fuss. I also thought the prices were exorbitant in the context of the standards of service and quality of food served.Am always polite Mortman (oh where re the smileys aT this moment!)!

I like the place as it is quiet and more importantly the cebu hottie I was with likes it a lot so I prefer that to Chow King etc.

Try Canvas as the food was good last time I was there (see earlier posts) and is one I will visit more often. And the cebu hottie liked that too.

An neither restaurants serve tacos, burritos (LOL) but they also don't serve bangers and mash and good British cuisine also for GE to sample LOL (sad smiley here)

Brymor
06-27-12, 10:45
I visited Canvas today for lunch situated on the 1st floor terrace of Ayalla by the escalators that lead to the taxi rank. It is run by an Australian guy called Steve who also is the cook. I am not really a fan of pretentious dining (sorry in advance GE if you are reading this) , blame it on my British upbringing. I ordered a sea food pasta, made with a herb infused tomatoe sauce and spaghetti cooked to perfection. It is probably the tastiest sea food pasta I have ever eaten and if you visit, I can highly recommend this dish.

The restauraunt layout is functional rather than decorative but for me it hit all the right buttons. Not a place for a candlelit romantic evening, but if good and very reasonably priced food is what you want, it is perfect.

BrainDrain
08-24-12, 02:37
The gf was to go heading out to Anzani http://www.anzani.com.ph/.

Has anyone been there? COuldn't find anything in the search.

Tripadviser says very positive things.

Stroker Ace88
08-25-12, 04:44
The gf was to go heading out to Anzani.

http://www.anzani.com.ph/.

Has anyone been there? COuldn't find anything in the search.

Tripadviser says very positive things.If it's the resto I'm thinking of it's located on the hill near Marco Polo. Swanky place (from the outside) that will set you back 4-7000+p for a typical dinner for two, depending if you order alcohol.

I looked at there website and I found this interesting,

Anzani is perched atop the hills of Cebu. ANZANI operates on four service streams: ALA CARTE, buffet menu's, Plated menu, Special 'red' plate dinners. The business is run on a professional scale and level where hospitality and personal detail is compounded resulting in team effort, result oriented leadership. Anzani offers Ala Carte cuisine in the indoor dining room (seats 80). They also offer a private dining room, seats 8-10 people, where the chef defines as the 'red plate'. There is no menu. According to the chef's creativity and mood, he creates.Sounds like the owner has a wee bit of dictator about him LOL. To some dining in the private room would be an exciting change of pace. No menu and let the chef serve you. But in the Philippines that could add up to whatever slice of meat and-or fish he has in the kitchen that's about to go bad be prepared and served to you at full price. And what if his "mood" is not into cooking that night?

I would also take any philippine tripadvisor reviews with a grain of salt unless they were posted by foreigners with good review history. Some places have mysteriously good reviews but most IMO are shill reports or honest reports from locals who are happy with rice and manok and have not experienced dining outside the Philippines.

I have not visited this resto. If you visit post a report and give your thoughts on the place.

BrainDrain
08-27-12, 02:10
I have not visited this resto. If you visit post a report and give your thoughts on the place.As it turned out the plans changed. The girl was happy to dine on the free fruits at the hotel. That was cost effective.

Wicked Roger
09-01-12, 16:30
Visited Tavolata Restaurant for the first time. Operated by the Abaca Group who also own Canvas, A Cafe and Maya (the first 2 places I like the latter not a favourite as I am not a fan of Mexican)

http://theabacagroup.com/tavolata-cebu/

Soft opening from 6-10. 30pm and the chef from A Cafe (a lady) is also running Tavolata.

Nice place, nice design and setting / ambience. Menu was excellent. A mix of Italian and Mediterranean. Steak was good, well presented in a skillet and the pizza is very tasty. Had meatballs to start (Cebu hottie liked and I had to agree) and just some 'rustic' bread with live oil / balsamic. Bread I have not seen in Cebu before so was a nice surprise.

Wine list is good and simialr to Canvas so plenty for any wine buffs.

Location is on AS Fortuna and P Remedio St (in Banilad / Mandaue City about 10-15 minutes from Ayala past Country Mall). Opposite the restaurant is Oftana Suites and Dewfoam (for those who need a landmark)

Dessert menu is small as soft opening and the menu is changing regularly as they see what the customers want / like. Friday I was told it had 60+ walk ins which if true would be a great advertisement as the location is nowhere near any tourist trade (ie it is not like Ayala which has passing trade naturally)

I liked it a lot and will definitely return. So did Cebu hottie.

Three courses (well we stuffed ourselves!) , but no wine for 2 persons was around 4000 pesos so not for the cheap charlies but worth a vist even for the main courses (meat, pasta, wood fired pizza)

Off the beaten track for many (ie not AYala, SM or a Jollibee / Chowking LOL) but go see.

PS : If the guy who came in with the pinay and the tight white dress is reading this. She had a nice t-back and ass LOL

Wicked Roger
10-30-12, 21:23
Menu is expanding. Food still excellent. But for those taking your cuties here remember. There is NO RICE served in this restaurant.

It may seem strange but this is true.

IMHO, this fact should be celebrated not lamented by pinays. The ones I have taken here all seem surprised at first but then accept and enjoy the food and its quality.

The restaurant does offer some tasty roasted potatoes instead which 2 cuties really enjoyed recently.

Worth a visit if you have time and want to get away from Ayala

Stroker Ace88
11-12-12, 05:49
Menu is expanding. Food still excellent. But for those taking your cuties here remember. There is NO RICE served in this restaurant.

It may seem strange but this is true.

IMHO, this fact should be celebrated not lamented by pinays. The ones I have taken here all seem surprised at first but then accept and enjoy the food and its quality.

The restaurant does offer some tasty roasted potatoes instead which 2 cuties really enjoyed recently.

Worth a visit if you have time and want to get away from AyalaTavolata started a simplified lunch menu November 1st. A few choices of pizza, pasta and panini sandwiches. Excellent food (for Cebu) , but with all abaca group restos the hype over a new resto is big and that means large crowds that surge in to sample the fresh offerings. I will sample the roasted potatoes next visit, I'm still busy eatting my way through the pasta section.

Cheap charlies will choke on the menu and order three rounds of service water to go.

Wicked Roger
07-12-13, 08:07
Was persuaded by Irony Monger to go to Maya . Not been there for a long time as not a great lover of Mexican food but I'm assured me he was an expert and loves the stuff.

Was pleasantly surprised by the food. It did have some taste. But this was down to I'm knowledge of what was good on the menu (some of the pork is excellent and not spicy)

So I will add this again to my list of restaurants to go to some time.

Thanks to I'm for teaching this old dog a few things about Mexican food as I have always thought it bland and tasteless LOL (some of those I know will still say that regardless).

Irony Monger
07-13-13, 02:41
Was persuaded by Irony Monger to go to Maya . Not been there for a long time as not a great lover of Mexican food but I'm assured me he was an expert and loves the stuff.WR, just wanted to say it was a pleasure seeing you and your lady friends at Maya the other night. They are simply gorgeous and have that perfect combination of classy and naughty that I find completely irresistible. I must apologize though as I am afraid I left one of them with a taste for North American delights. On parting I offered her a choice of chocolate: Cadbury or Hershey. Guess which one she chose ;)

Regarding Maya, I'm a big fan of Mexican Food, and I recommend this place. The carnitas was quite good as was the chicken achiote, and their Patron Silver margarita was on par with top shelf margaritas at good Mexican restaurants around the globe, which is saying a lot because 90% of the margaritas I have tried in the Philippines are better used as paint thinner. In short, I will go back to Maya in the future, and I am glad I had a chance to show WR that real mexican food is something other than Taco Bell.

MangoBob68
07-13-13, 04:11
Hello gentlemen,

My last visit to Cebu was back in 2008. I used to visit Cebu a lot between 1996 to 2005 and I had my favorites for dinning. I remember Seafood city at JY Square. Not know if still there or any good now . But my "favorites" all disappeared over the years. I rememeber a place called courtyard. Since gone. With cafeteria style serving. Open. Outside. Watch sport games on a big screen. Very relaxing at night.

Now I feel like a chicken with my head cut off. To the point. I would appreciate anyone who lives / spends a lot of time in Cebu to recommend good dinning for lunch / dinner costing say $25. 00 per couple Chinese / Pinoy / Italian / maybe buffet or? Liquor would be extra above the $25. 00

I say $25. 00 as a bench mark only. Not an absolute.

Thank you for any replies

Wicked Roger
07-13-13, 10:17
Hello gentlemen,

Now I feel like a chicken with my head cut off. To the point. I would appreciate anyone who lives / spends a lot of time in Cebu to recommend good dinning for lunch / dinner costing say $25. 00 per couple Chinese / Pinoy / Italian / maybe buffet or? Liquor would be extra above the $25. 00

I say $25. 00 as a bench mark only. Not an absolute.

Thank you for any repliesMB.

Lets say $25 = PHP 1000 (reasonable assumption and being picky) and- by per couple you total or per head but whichever below are some ideas.

Try Vienna Café (see earlier FR) nice place, tends to be full with locals and expats. In Mango area, and I enjoyed many a meal there, nice pizza.

http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/showthread.php?3161-Cebu-Restaurants&p=1231650&viewfull=1#post1231650

That is a goo FR on it.

Also around Ayala Terraces there is a number of nice places to eat for that budget try Lemongrass, Gerry Grill get pinoy food there as well as nice fish) , even Tereyaki Boy has a nice rice dish and basic sushi. A Café in Crossroads would suit your budget is quiet though but food good, plenty to chose from especially at Ayala and in SM Mall also so you won't break the wallet.

MangoBob68
07-18-13, 18:50
MB.

Lets say $25 = PHP 1000 (reasonable assumption and being picky) and- by per couple you total or per head but whichever below are some ideas.

Try Vienna Café (see earlier FR) nice place, tends to be full with locals and expats. In Mango area, and I enjoyed many a meal there, nice pizza.

http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/showthread.php?3161-Cebu-Restaurants&p=1231650&viewfull=1#post1231650

That is a goo FR on it.

Also around Ayala Terraces there is a number of nice places to eat for that budget try Lemongrass, Gerry Grill get pinoy food there as well as nice fish) , even Tereyaki Boy has a nice rice dish and basic sushi. A Café in Crossroads would suit your budget is quiet though but food good, plenty to chose from especially at Ayala and in SM Mall also so you won't break the wallet.Thank you for your reply and reference to older post about dinning out. I will check places out when I finally get back to Cebu and then I can give a quality report back.

Wicked Roger
07-29-13, 16:37
This is a new restaurant for me, fairly new in its current location too but been around a bit.

A tad quirky but some unusual theécor with a huge 14 seater table and massive high chairs make it look interesting. The chairs are so high that even a tall bugger like me can't reach the floor. Makes for some interesting sitting positions for the cuties.

Really enjoyed the simple menu and dessert was only 4 dishes but one was called "Monkey Business". Something RK and JSBach will understand the meaning of in a certain way. This was a crepe with bananas and chocolate, sweet like my dinner date who thought the name of the dessert was funny.

Very good steak and salmon also, and nice soups.

Location: Next to the Henry Hotel on Maria Luisa Road. Go along Archbishop Reyes Avenue past Country Mall. Go past BTC Banilad (on the right) , before the flyover, take the slip road (for reference to the right is AS Fortuna) , and turn left under the flyover. On the left immediately you will see the hotel and restaurant on the side (plus other restaurants in the same area)

Cost for all 3 courses (for 2 people) including some sodas and juices plus coffees etc was around 1500-2000 pesos so not for cheap charlies who think style is Jollibee but worth a visit as a pleasant yet quiet restaurant.

Nothing ventured nothing gained and this was recommended by a friend as I was looking for some more variety (I have already have that in other ways LOL) and he was right.

Google and you see some blogs on this as well plus somewhere there is a Facebook page I was told but fairly easy to find.

Wicked Roger
08-06-13, 15:06
I visited Phat Pao for the first time, I pass on the way to Maya, Olio and A Café and had heard some good things. Operated by the Abaca group who also run Maya and A Café (as well as Tavolata).

Vietnamese. Small but good menu, limited wine (not bother me) , nice noodle soups, some very nice Vietnamese rolls (I had the pork one really good). Met the chef also, long chat and my cutie asked about the spicy food and liked what she was recommended (I don't mean me as that was later LOL)

Kitchen style seating and a small place so was busy around 8pm but by 9. 30pm quiet No westerners in ther except me at the time and mainly locals, Chinese and Koreans.

Prices around 1500 pesos for 2 including drinks and dessert so that keep some of us away for sure LOL.

Nice palce recommend you give it a go.

Location is Crossroads on the right hand side soon after you enter Crossroads, if you reach the KTV and Olio you have gone too far.

X Man
04-10-14, 13:15
Blue Elephant rooftop bar / restaurant is located on the 19th floor of the Apple One building which is a short walk from Ayala Terraces (no need to cross one of the big roads). In summary the food was okay for the price. I was expecting something really fancy and was glad to see it was casual and reasonably priced. Needless to say, the view and the vibe is nice and will surely impress your date.

Things started out badly. The taxi driver didn't seem to know where this 19 story building was, so I told him it was near Ayala Mall. As we got near Ayala, we could see the Apple logo. Which in all fairness doesn't look like an apple (see pic).certainly not the Beatles nor the Jobs Apple. The driver already had locked Ayala in his mind and apparently didn't know much English. Who knows, but with Apple ONe in plain sight, he did a quick turn and deposited us at Ayala Mall.

I was worried that we would have to walk across one of those big roads that surround Ayala mall, but we crossed thru the terraces and turned to the right in the area of the taxi stand, and we were soon at our destination. Things are looking up! I didn't mind the walk. The exercise was good, but there had already been substantial exercise in the hotel room. I was hungry and looking forward to the rooftop hotel and some cold beer.

The lobby was very quiet, hmmm, rode up to the 19th floor. As the elevators opened there were some stairs, walking up we were met by a tall good lookin gal who wasn't very welcoming. And then she asked if we had a reservation. We didn't and she expressed her displeasure with her face. Which suddenly seemed much uglier. Looking into the restaurant, it didn't seem open-air at all. There was a roof!

I walked back toward the elevator, down the stairs, and noticed some large elephant paintings. I decided to take a look and as I walked down the aisle I found myself in a large open air rooftop bar / restaurant. Wow. THe first guy we talked to also was unfriendly and asked about a reservation. My date and I worked some kind of charm and the dick went away. There was clearly an empty table right in front of us (high table, no chairs) and it was our intent to stand, have a drink and leave.

Much to our surprise, other employees quickly brought us chairs, menus, and some much needed hospitality. My date, who IS NOT some hick from the provinces kept looking for the guy we met upon entering. She wanted to have a word with him. LOL.

I'll let the pictures do the talking, but what you don't see is that there was a party with live band adjacent to the open air area. Which was covered, but is not the covered area I mentioned earlier.

My take is that management is trying to create some kind of exclusive vibe and are doing it very poorly. My advice is make a reservation if you can. I could have done that after the taxi driver left me at the wrong location. It really is more fun in the Philippines. Especially when a mild level of aggravation ends up in a pretty good meal and drinks on a 19th floor rooftop bar, followed by all night 12th floor shenanigans in my comfy hotel bed.

Wicked Roger
05-03-14, 16:19

Wicked Roger
05-08-14, 16:04
Long time since I visited Tinder Box but it has a selection of cigars that a friend asked me to look at (I know nothing about tobacco except it is harmful to your health). He wanted Filipino cigars and the Tinder Box had, I was reliably informed, a good selection (it did from my perspective)

It also has a nice but small restaurant reasonably priced and good quality. We had 2 very good pizzas, some beef and soups plus desserts. Now adding other things we bought as well, the price was great. Food cost with drinks (non alcoholic) was around PHP 1500.

It also has a big selection of wine (Good Enough please note for your next visit to Cebu) and an area for smokers (GE also please note) that had nice leather chairs while the non smokers had more upright chairs. Was tempted to sit in the smoking area for a change!

Service a tad slow but we were in no hurry and the ladies looked at the selection of imported food (cheese, sausages, has, biscuits, mustards etc) while we waited.

Location is just past Crossroads on the right hand side. Currently has scaffolding outside but the place is open. Is also good for lunch as the menu is varied.

Wicked Roger
05-13-14, 16:45
Now I might look as though I am just eating my way around Cebu. True I am but not only food gents LOL

And I like diversity and variety in my food as I do other things.

And I only go to the more upmarket eateries when I feel the need or there is a special reason such as a cutie's birthday

So there I was with birthday girl at the Cowrie Cove. The seafood restaurant by the water's edge at the Shangri La.

Pinays love seafood and love to eat lots of variety from the normal "please can I have prawns" variety so taking a pinay there always is a treat for me and for her.

This is not the cheap side of Manila which I also visit where the food from the boats is cooked in the restaurants nearby. This is a nice setting, nice food good service but at a price.

We had soups, clams, seafood platters (very good grub) and more fish. Total was PHP 5000 with no alcohol (as I said not for the cheap charlies). Tax to and from Cebu centre was around PHP 250 each way but can take time as earlier in the evening traffic is horrible.

Would I go there every week. No way as my wallet would scream out loud and my bank manager louder LOL but for a treat for a special occasion is worth it (well for me very worth it)

http://www.shangri-la.com/cebu/mactanresort/dining/restaurants/cowrie-cove/

This is the link so you check yourself but if you have spare change give it a go. Tomorrow I will be in Ayala eating a brown rice dish with mushrooms (very healthy) at PHP 250 so as I said I like variety.

Stroker Ace88
05-15-14, 06:21
Now I might look as though I am just eating my way around Cebu. True I am but not only food gents LOL

And I like diversity and variety in my food as I do other things.

And I only go to the more upmarket eateries when I feel the need or there is a special reason such as a cutie's birthday

So there I was with birthday girl at the Cowrie Cove. The seafood restaurant by the water's edge at the Shangri La.

Pinays love seafood and love to eat lots of variety from the normal "please can I have prawns" variety so taking a pinay there always is a treat for me and for her.

This is not the cheap side of Manila which I also visit where the food from the boats is cooked in the restaurants nearby. This is a nice setting, nice food good service but at a price.

We had soups, clams, seafood platters (very good grub) and more fish. Total was PHP 5000 with no alcohol (as I said not for the cheap charlies). Tax to and from Cebu centre was around PHP 250 each way but can take time as earlier in the evening traffic is horrible.

Would I go there every week. No way as my wallet would scream out loud and my bank manager louder LOL but for a treat for a special occasion is worth it (well for me very worth it)

http://www.shangri-la.com/cebu/mactanresort/dining/restaurants/cowrie-cove/

This is the link so you check yourself but if you have spare change give it a go. Tomorrow I will be in Ayala eating a brown rice dish with mushrooms (very healthy) at PHP 250 so as I said I like variety.WR,

When I have had enough of Cebu traffic I text my contact at Shang and get away from it all for a few days. I book an ocean wing suite. I usually eat at Tides or Acqua but after reading your review I will have to spend an evening or two at Cowrie Cove enjoying a plate of prawns, a few gin and tonics and the company of a lovely lady while watching the sunset.

If you have never enjoyed a suite in the ocean wing I highly recommend it. They have separate entrance, separate check in, free breakfast, club lounge access with free booze free pica pica and access to the ocean wing pool which is a lot quieter. The ocean wing is set up like a separate hotel within Shangri La. It's definitely not for cheap charlies but it's worth every centavo IMO to recharge the batteries every once in awhile.

Good review, keep them coming!

Wicked Roger
07-17-14, 16:33
These are one and the same effectively. Bellini is outdoors overlooking Cebu where you can have some food but mainly drink champagne cocktails (so I had a Bellini at Bellini LOL). Anzani is the restaurant with a mainly Italian feel with some good grill options and seafood. Has seating outdoors as well.

Located in Nivel (the hills) just about opposite Cebu Ford on way to Marco Polo) , on the left hand side as you go up the hill (slowly as all taxis seems to have a poor elastic band in their engine LOL).

For those who like a link etc here it is.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bellini/151919991538129

Was with friends who paid the bill and they drank Bellinis, liqueurs, wine etc and we ate lobster, jumbo shrimps (excellent), swordfish (excellent) pork and beef (all good). Lobster disappointing a tad soft and tasteless but the tomato salsa based nice. No panna cotta so we had lemon crème brulee which was OK not fantastic as a little bit thick for my liking.

Good wine list but pricey (some above 3000 pesos for wines that cost $20 at home).

Service great, waitress we had super cute and chatty. I saw myself bending her over a table and letting her try some different pork.

A few Koreans there who were drunk and noisy but they left soon after I arrived. Later a young American tuened up with 2 very over dressed girls (clearly they we friends with benefits) and if that was an ISG member, they were scrawny and a tad ugly but the make up was OK.

Also 2 college girls outside with 2 old pinoys (I know as they were in uniform and my lady is at the same university) LOL.

So I would recommend this and I will return and try other dishes (and get a mobile of the cutie waitress if possible).

Wicked Roger
07-20-14, 07:09
Now I visited here for a late breakfast as it was 1030/11 am by the time I arrived. Was suggested by a cutie I was with and by the time I left the restaurant was full of locals. I was the only westerner in the place. Which to me a is a good sign.

Located just past Tinderbox and Crossroads on the same side of the road (right hand side of driving from Ayala) in a building just off the main road so you need to spot it as not visible from the road. Opposite the café is Bibendum wines a place for excellent wine (some I saw costing PHO 30-40 k per bottle! Mainly French and USA brands.

Nice menu more for lunch / dinner than breakfast.

Had a large St Gallum sausage (smoked not spicy) and excellent potato salad (German style) and was very happy. Cutie also had freshly cooked broccoli and then she had a the chocolate decadence which is just to die for (I like sweets and those that know me will know why!

Link below so I am not 'scolded' by X LOL.

http://www.cafegeorg.com/index.html

Total cost for numerous lattes, juices, chocolate ice cream milk shake plus the food was PHP 1000. I will return for dinner with friends soon and check the rest of the menu. As my stomach needs to get bigger LOL.

Avoloz
07-20-14, 13:21
http://www.cafegeorg.com/index.html

Total cost for numerous lattes, juices, chocolate ice cream milk shake plus the food was PHP 1000. I will return for dinner with friends soon and check the rest of the menu. As my stomach needs to get bigger LOL.Thanks WR, appreciate additional information on a good lifestyle.

Good to see that you keep all your senses happy.

Wicked Roger
07-20-14, 13:53
Went here last night, is in Banilad (Maria Luisa Road), and is in the same area as Ricas (the restaurant that is located inside Henrys Hotel). Cheap and decent place, a few expats there with their families / cuties.

Pizzas are huge so you could share and at PHP 300-350 a pop it is good value.

Me and the cutie had a pizza and spaghetti bolognaise with 4 drinks (all soft) and we had a bill of PHP 800. I fact we could have saved on the bill as the food was too much and we should have shared one dish!

But be warned. The cold red sauce it serves as a side is super hot and worth avoiding of you don't like 'ring burners'.

Links for those who like below.

http://www.tripadvisor.com.ph/Restaurant_Review-g298460-d2470783-Reviews-Pizzeria_Michelangelo-Cebu_City_Cebu_Island_Visayas.html

https://www.facebook.com/PizzeriaMichelangeloPhilippines

Wicked Roger
07-29-14, 14:10
I do like to try new things and not just cuties LOL.

Food is good in Cebu and those that know me also know I like variety in the cuisine also.

Undecided what to do and has passed German Haus on way to Ricas, Tavolata, Henry hotel, Pizza Michelangelo etc. So the cutie with said "let try German Haus".

I could say you can't miss it. See photo but it is on the second floor so look closely on the left hand side of Archbishop Reyes if going away from Alaya. Go past Quest over the fly over and it is there on left side, second floor next to a Japanese KTV and another restaurant called "Rescue".

Parking was great so easy to get sorted.

As you would expect from the name, the menu is all thing German. Mostly. Was told a huge lunch cover and thus no steaks but the pork was good and with 4 drinks (juice water etc) plus one dessert the bill was a tad over 1000 pesos for 2 people. So more pricey than the pizza place but worth a second visit IMHO. Will return maybe with a different cutie.

Cute waitress as well LOL and it plays good rock music etc (Led Zep, Hendrix and Floyd all played while I sat and ate. For me perfect!

Info and a picture this time below.

https://www.facebook.com/GermanHaus2013/photos/a.574545412613704.1073741825.574532579281654/627353323999579/?type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/GermanHaus2013

PolyOrchid
08-06-14, 02:53
If you like Japanese food, IMO, you can do no better in Cebu than Kagura, it serves a wide and varied Japeanese menu. It appears from the dining room that the kitchen staff is 100% Filipino (I could be wrong) but even if it is, the team does a great job.

I used to come here to enjoy a midday dip and sauna in the adjoining spa. However, I came here for the first time in two years only to find that much of the spa has been converted into a karaoke / KTV joint for rich Japanese gentlemen. It's called Boss or Bosses, I don't recall. So, although I shall continue to come for the food, the spa now only offers 3 traditional sento dipping tubs and is poorly maintained and is off my spa list in Cebu.

Wicked Roger
08-06-14, 10:43
Seems am having lunch of one kind and dinner of another at the moment LOL.

Emerald Isle Irish Bar. Like to visit new places and this is around 3-4 kms from Ayala past USC Talamban Campus and keep on going. The actual 'plaza' where this is located suddenly creeps up on you so if driving be warned.

As you would expect from the name lots of pub food, Irish drinks but with a menu that includes Filipino dishes that IMHO are to be avoided. Lamb stew, lots of pie and chips, fish and chips and reasonable steaks plus pork. All very well priced. Paid less than 1200 pesos for 4 dishes plus 3 drinks. The San Mig is 50 pesos and Guinness is 160 pesos.

Went there on a Saturdays and was full, expats with wives / girlfriends, some families, very loud band outside playing lots of rock (which I liked when the door was closed as when it was not hard to hear yourself speak).

Went back there in the middle of the week and it was quiet and one night we got there around 915 pm and was closed for food. So seems weekends is when it is lively.

https://www.facebook.com/emeraldislecebu

The link has all the details but just head out of Ayala towards Crossroads (that road) and keep on going.

Wicked Roger
08-06-14, 10:51
As I said am trying lots new places (as I do cuties at times LOL).

Gusto is in IT Park and have been there before. Nice place, Italian themed, good pizzas and dips but plenty else on the menu. Two us paid around 900 pesos for food and soft drinks, so a tad more pricey than some I frequent but not bad as open after 10 pm when I was looking for somewhere. As IT park there are plenty of eateries open due to the call centres at that location.

Sat outside, nice breeze and watched people, some high chairs and sofas so had a nice time, and some of the waitresses are cute also (added bonus).

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gusto+restaurant+cebu&tbm=isch&imgil=CNWnYZAMOLIGCM%253 A%253 BsVxWccoxqTyFIM%253 Bhttp%25253 A%25252 F%25252 F www.hannahdo.com%25252 Fmy-lunchtime-at-gusto-urban-cafe-and-wine-bar-in-asiatown-it-park%25252 F&source=iu&usg=__4 Jy6 r_1 Pc_zOigit1 A9 D4 kiDn3 Q%3 D&sa=X&ei=BvnhU9 ikL8 jwoATssoGYCA&ved=0 CFsQ9 QEwCA&biw=1093&bih=449.

http://enjoythebest.ph/cebu-borocay/dining/coffee-tea-bar/gusto-urban-cafe--wine-bar_676.htm

Links show pictures and some review that even gives a map for those interested LOL.

Wicked Roger
08-07-14, 05:30
I like pizza if fresh not the Dominos, Shakeys, Pizza Hut variety. So with Polyorchid and a cutie we went to Pizza Republic which is close to IT Park (up the road from IT Park on the right) -on Salinas Drive.

This concept is make you own though there is a choice of 8-10 pizzas if you want plus salads and limited dessert. But unlike other places, you stand in line and they make it as you go along and you can chose to make your own pizza also. All for PHP 245 per pizza. So cheap but very tasty. Sang Mig is PHP 60 and sodas and water around PHP 45-55.

We took 3 different pizzas and were not disappointed. That plus 2 sodas and 3 waters cam to a staggering (approx.) PHP 900!

And the queue kept on getting bigger. All locals and was a very busy place for mid week.

Free seating so best get the cutie to find a table and sit and wait. Cooking / service time is fast also so we did not wait for long. You go and get it when your number is called.

If you like pizza and can afford the taxi fare try it. Link below shows where it is.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Pizza+Republic / at 10.329103,123.902765,14 z / data=!4 m2!3 m1!1 s0 x0:0 xc53 f4 e9975 d82 e7 e.

https://www.facebook.com/PizzaRepublicPicknMix

Wicked Roger
08-24-14, 02:05
As Bandy was in Cebu briefly and we had not seen each other for nearly 12 months it was night of celebration so off we went to Tavolata on AS Fortuna Street. I have FR on this a long time back and it remains one of my favourite eating places in Cebu given the quality food and lovely atmosphere / ambience. Staff are well trained and courteous.

With a cutie in tow (mine as Bandy has one waiting for his dessert later LOL) the three of us had a great time with sea bass, pasta, starters and 2 bottles of excellent Cab Sav (over 2000 pesos a bottle but worth it and we don't get to meet as often as we like).

The pannacotta is just delightful o much so that sometimes we order 2-3 of them as delicious.

Now this is not a place for cheap charlies and the bill with wine as over 8000 pesos but take the wine off and the food cost was around 1200 pesos a head. Not bad for a good restaurant.

And the place was packed mainly locals.

For those who like a link and won't Google.

http://www.theabacagroup.com/tavolata.html

https://www.google.com.ph/maps/preview?ie=UTF-8&fb=1&gl=ph&sll=10.34157, 123.919644&sspn=0. 0324241,0. 0439466&cid=4472784367867750158&q=Tavolata&ei=4 Dj5 U6 SMEuiDiwKPooHIBQ&ved=0 CIsBEPwSMA8&source=newuser-ws.

http://www.theabacagroup.com/ all the restaurants in the group which I frequent at times and all are good IMHO.

But remember if you are taking a cutie that Tavaolata does not serve rice in any shape or form so prepare the pinay for that shock LOL.

Red Kilt
08-24-14, 04:24
If you like pizza and can afford the taxi fare try it. Link below shows where it is.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Pizza+Republic / at 10.329103,123.902765,14 z / data=!4 m2!3 m1!1 s0 x0:0 xc53 f4 e9975 d82 e7 e.

Hey WR you need an air fare as well as a taxi fare. You provided a link to a pizza place in the UK LOL.

Stroker Ace88
08-24-14, 05:50
Tavolata is no longer my go-to Italian resto.

First, the prices have increased since they opened, and not by a little but a lot. I am no cheap Charlie but I do not like being over-charged.

Second, I preferred to go to Tavolata on a whim whenever I had the urge to eat good pasta in a nice environment. Usually that meant arriving around 6-7 pm or so to find the ground floor seating empty or almost empty. The server would ask me if I had a reservation and when I said no she would seat me upstairs. I would walk in and there would be no one sitting on the ground floor and when I left it was also empty so that really pissed me off. I dress very well and so do my female guests and tip very well so there was no excuse to seat me upstairs each and every time. WTF?

That and the owner-chef foreigner would always look from the kitchen at me and my guest whenever I would arrive (under the warming lamp station). I am sure he remembers me as I used to go there almost weekly late last year. Not once did he come say Hello, or offer me free appetizers as other owners have done on occasion for me and my guest when I would be a regular. I used to drop around 4-6000 php on average per visit with what we ordered. Very often I would order a pasta dish or pizza to go. I think the last time I visited Tavolata was early Jan 2014 and I doubt I would go back and if I did go back and they wanted to stick me upstairs I would turn around and walk out. No more of that crap for me please.

I now head to Mactan when I want very good pasta at very reasonable prices. I prefer the pizza at Italia Pizza. 13 inch is now 250 php. They also have very good lasagna that can be had per slice or ordered by the tray! 150 php per large slice (used to be 99 php! I also like Giuseppe's Pizzeria & Sicilian Roast near Shangri-La. Very good pasta and pizza, and they use real buffalo (carabao) cheese! Very good for the price, around 3-500 php per pasta dish and the same for the pizza.

Both highly recommended and owned by Italian expats with Filipina wives. While the the decor and ambiance is not as nice as Tavolata they more than make up for it with a lot cheaper prices for IMO the same (if not better on occasion) quality pizza and pasta. I usually visit Giuseppe's when I stay at Shangri-La or rent a banca for the day to island hop. Be warned that if you visit Giuseppe's it could be harder to get a taxi back to CC later in the evening so plan accordingly. Best bet would be to go over near Shangri-La area to catch one of the taxis that sometime wait outside the gate.

http://giuseppemactan.com/

Wicked Roger
08-24-14, 12:23
Hey WR you need an air fare as well as a taxi fare. You provided a link to a pizza place in the UK LOL.Sorry not sure what happened there as when I cut and paste it was the one near IT Park.

SA. I agree and disagree with you regarding Tavalota. I also go to other cheaper Italians etc owned by long term European expats where the food is cheaper etc. Generally I only spend 2-3000 pesos a time but as I was with Bandy and as it was a long time since we had seen each other we had a fun night and splashed out-even he was shocked at the final bill <OL but maybe the excellent wine did the talking when we ordered the second bottle!

IMHO the prices have not increased since I have been going there, the only thing is that the meatballs dish which I do like a lot is sometimes off the menu (but I call ahead to ask at times).

I have never sat upstairs (even when I don't have a booking) and the owner is generally nice to me as I see him at A Café in the mornings and Maya quite a bit a well as Pho Phat. Just different impressions maybe but it pay to book ahead especially at weekends.

But I do go to other places as well and will give that place a try now you have mentioned it as I like to eat (if you know me that statement would be obvious!) and try new things (food and other areas LOL).

Dg8787
08-24-14, 12:26
Had dinner at Maples tonight. Pan seared Salmon was delicious and probably the best cup of coffee in the Philippines. P670 plus 10% service charge. The salmon was very fresh and nicely cooked. Well worth it.

X Man
08-29-14, 10:05
Go back a bit (March?) to find my initial review of the rooftop restaurant / bar Blue Elephant. A short walk from the Ayala mall taxi stand.

Visited again this month August. Very quiet on a Sunday night. Lots of seating. My date (dia gal I had chatted with just a few hours earlier) was much finer than I expected. We only ordered drinks, but the atmosphere was very nice. The music was good. My date was singing along to a few of the tunes. I just hope BE gets more customers and stay in business. I still miss the old Ratzkys at Ayala.

My date seemed in a romantic mood. Was it my charm and rugged good looks, or the Blue Elephant vibe? I had good feedback from touch testing, and eventually kissing. At some point she even made a point of measuring my hand. "big hand, I'm scared" she flirted while imagining my toy shooter up her love canal. Not to mention my wallet dropping money into her very nice cleavage.

Unfortunately, she insisted on a second date (she suggested a beach, bless her heart). I was already fully booked. I was just trying to fill a vacant evening, and ended up with a huge lost opportunity. You guys feel my pain, don't you?

Please don't ask for contact info if you don't know me. I'm not that kind of guy. X.

Wicked Roger
08-30-14, 15:02
This is what it says. Basically steak, chicken and pork place (not for vegetarians or vegans really). Went there with friends as was given a flyer and thought "give it a go". Cheap steak, ribs and lechon at 250 pesos for 0. 5 kgs.

Location is next to Elizabeth hotel (in between the hotel and the Isuzu showroom.

Food is OK not great steak given that the prices were 'specials' - so at 300 pesos a steak, 250 for ribs and dessert at 100 pesos, it is not haute cuisine LOL. But a nice atmosphere, very casual, lots of people there all locals (I was the only westerner there) and a few cuties outside eating as well.

So don't expect great service (it was OK and friendly), or great steaks but I had the ribs and these were tasty.

https://www.google.com.ph/maps/place/Rodeo+Grill+Barbecues+Sizzlers / at 10.316774,123.902293,17 z / data=!3 m1!4 b1!4 m2!3 m1!1 s0 x0:0 xa1 c5 f57 a5 d727 ea8.

https://www.facebook.com/rodeo.grill.9

A few pictures of the menu attached.

Will I go back. Yes. It was fun, noisy (Saturday) and lots of locals there.

For 6 people the total bill including cheap soft drinks and water was 2500 pesos. So easy to take a cutie there and not spend much if that is the goal.

X Man
09-02-14, 14:58
Choco bang bang 69 pesos? I guess that's different from the boom boom dessert.

This is what it says. Basically steak, chicken and pork place (not for vegetarians or vegans really). Went there with friends as was given a flyer and thought "give it a go". Cheap steak, ribs and lechon at 250 pesos for 0. 5 kgs.

Location is next to Elizabeth hotel (in between the hotel and the Isuzu showroom

SNIP 6 people the total bill including cheap soft drinks and water was 2500 pesos. So easy to take a cutie there and not spend much if that is the goal.

Wicked Roger
09-03-14, 01:43
Choco bang bang 69 pesos? I guess that's different from the boom boom dessert.Bang bang and boom boom and 69 - very apt for this forum. But the dessert was too sweet etc so I would not try it. The dessert later was perfectly sweet (and slim and tight LOL).

Wicked Roger
09-08-14, 11:37
Did not feel like going to Ayala or the other normal haunts I like so tried something new and up popped Mikado a Japanese restaurant on Archbishop Reyes St very close to the German Haus restaurant (and right net to the flyover on the rig hand side as you drive to Ayala).

https://plus.google.com/100099128034778392293/about?gl=ph&hl=en

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mikado-Japanese-Restaurant/126288997443455

Had the buffet dinner. All you can eat, no leaving food on plate and sharing with your dinner partner. Cost PHP 470. Not bad, had lots of sushi etc, tuna / salmon, tempura, noodles, teriyaki etc, soft drinks added to the bill for 2 of us but was excellent value (around PHP 600 each).

Lots of locals and Japanese / Koreans in the restaurant also and when I thought the buffet was running low on food the waitresses topped up all the dishes so my cutie was happily eating huge amount of tuna and salmon, so she wants to visit again soon!

I know Polyorchid has a favourite Japanese place in Cebu but I can't remember the name!

Wicked Roger
09-08-14, 11:58
This is located in the 4th floor of Ayala and is like a trendy diner / drinks place. See the pictures in the link below as I am not how best to describe it. But if you know TGIFs bar area it is bigger and brighter. And IMHO does not have some of the low lifes hanging around the bar (that I have seen at TGIFs) nor is it overly populated with ladyboys either (at least not when I was there).

Lots of locals and some young crowd also for the drinks, plus a few huge TV screens for sport (Aussie vs SA rugby was on when I was visiting). Some of younger girls were from richer families (I was told this by the girl I was with who is at college with many of those there on the day).

Mix of eating and all comfortable. Staff friendly and attentive as well as a bar / US diner style menu.

Food was OK but this is not a cheap Charlie place but neither is it an expensive place. I would say it is less pricey than Tavalota and Ricas but more than A Café, Mikado and definitely not the price rage of Pizza Republic or Pizza Micheangelo. So don't think you can get off with PHP 500 a head or total for the bill as the cocktails can be pricey but the SML bucket was cheap IMHO (4+1 = PHP380).

Had a good sandwich with wedges but only 6 wedges (yes I counted as I was hungry) and the cutie who was with me had their burger (also 6 wedges) which was very tasty (am not a fan of burgers but this was well cooked and had flavour).

Reasonable menu with traditional \US style desserts of course (apple pie and ice cream, rocky road ice cream etc) but the place is open, lively and I would return. We paid around PHP 1000 a head there (no cocktails just lots of soft drinks).

P.S. On the same level there is Seafood Island. That was very busy- and New Orleans with a couple of very cute waitresses who shorts say "Follow Me" on their butts. I would have if I was not following another on the day but worth a visit for sure.

https://www.facebook.com/TheSocialCebu

Wicked Roger
09-08-14, 11:59
https://www.facebook.com/TheSocialCebu

Wicked Roger
09-10-14, 08:08
The cutie had an eating urge (for food gents) late in the evening. As is in Cebu many places close early during the week so IT park is where I go as it is pen 24/7 due to the call centres there. Lots of different place but we found a cheap pizza place where we ate a large pizza and 2 soft drinks for PHP 210.

Yes that cheap ($5).

Called Mama Maria Pizzeria. Other locations around Cebu one opposite one of the better universities.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Mamma+Maria's+Pizzeria/@10.315141,123.902746,15z/data=!4m5!1m2!2m1!1smamma+maria+pizzeria+cebu!3m1!1s0x0:0x499fdf388 f80a757

Sebans
10-14-14, 22:39
Stay away from Pizzeria Michelangelo e Pizzeria the Vinci. The 2 worst pizza I ever had. They think that is enough to put an Italian name to make a good pizzeria and easily scam people. And they must be right because I thought they were run by Italians and so went there instead of Pizza Hut. Pizzeria Michelangielo even put on the bill a service charge of 10%. Not even a glass of water to justify it.

Wicked Roger
10-15-14, 05:56
Stay away from Pizzeria Michelangelo e Pizzeria the Vinci. The 2 worst pizza I ever had. They think that is enough to put an Italian name to make a good pizzeria and easily scam people. And they must be right because I thought they were run by Italians and so went there instead of Pizza Hut. Pizzeria Michelangielo even put on the bill a service charge of 10 %. Not even a glass of water to justify it.You are entitled to your view Sebans but I find the pizzas there good and the pasta. The place is packed some days full of expat with the family so something must be right. Even met the manager an the old mama.

I would never go to Pizza Hut for the reason you say about Michelangelo. Was the one on Banilad? Or elsewhere.

Try Pizza Republic (se FR earlier) maybe that is to your taste but I will visit this place again soon with a cutie who loves the food.

YMMV

Wicked Roger
10-15-14, 15:29
Decided to go elsewhere in search of food the other day and found Brique. On Salinas Drive, opposite Cebu Northwinds hotel. Sort of trendy place full of pinays and I was the only westerner there so had lots of stares. Link below gives and idea of the food but it was nice, cheap, SML is 60 pesos, the menu is limited but this OK as plenty to choose at the same time.

The decor reminds me of Tavolata on AS Fortuna (the lighting, tables and chairs). Cutie with me said many of the guests college student, and there are some big sofas upstairs to sit on as well.

It is next to a popular Filipino restaurant so there is parking but can be tight if you go at the busy time (7-9 pm IMHO) - by 9 pm Brique was empty but when we got there is was full and we had to wait 10 minutes for a table.

I will go again as a nice atmosphere, fun food and cheap beer.

This from a food blog that says it better than me LOL.

http://www.iluvcebu.com/brique-modern-kitchen-cebu/

Wicked Roger
10-15-14, 15:38
Was looking for somewhere different and had heard about this place. I went to the one on Cuenco Ave near Country Mall (Banilad way). Small compact, opposite the Petron petrol station, with parking.

It reminded me of Michel Deli, Tinderbox etc where the food is OK and there some European food items for sale.

See the link and the picture below. Was cheap, food was nice, interesting pastries and beer cheap. Again nothing fancy but was OK for 600 pesos for 2 of us so I can't complain.

There is another outlet in Banawa but I have not been to that one.

http://brusselscafe.asia/home

Sebans
10-18-14, 12:05
You are entitled to your view Sebans but I find the pizzas there good and the pasta. The place is packed some days full of expat with the family so something must be right. Even met the manager an the old mama.

I would never go to Pizza Hut for the reason you say about Michelangelo. Was the one on Banilad? Or elsewhere.

Try Pizza Republic (se FR earlier) maybe that is to your taste but I will visit this place again soon with a cutie who loves the food.

YMMVMichelangelo Pizzeria was the one in Banilad.

I went there because they were listed among the 10 best restaurant in Cebu. What made me upset beside the pizza that even my cutie disliked (she recommended Yellow cab Pizza) was the service charge of 90 pesos.

The the Vinci pizza in IT park was even worst.

Sebans
10-20-14, 10:22
MO2 Restobar Restaurant.

Moonlight Street, Subangdaku, North Reclamation Area, Mandaue 6014, Philippines.

Big place in Mandaue with live band and Disco inside Was recommended by a cutie and went there with another one. It was Wednesday and was not completely packed, the music was ok and the food and drink affordable, I spent 500 pesos for a salad and ice tea, a milk shake and sisig, 2 rises for my girl. Nice service.

Wicked Roger
02-11-15, 23:56
A Café in Crossroads is a good place to eat whatever time of day, quality food and service but a tad more pricey than some places. I go there at times for breakfast and sometimes dinner. Large portions so I share with the cutie.

While still in Crossroads it is now located inside he Abaca Baking Company that is located next to Olio. It is therefore in between Pho Phat and Maya (Vietnamese food. Very good; Mexican. Not my flavor but told by many is good).

If you stood outside Maya and had you back to the door of the restaurant, A Café is to the left up the road.

I went there recently and was impressed, some nice pastries, home made bread, menu roughly the same.

X Man
02-12-15, 09:56
Thanks for the update. I need to explore Mandaue a bit more on my next visit. Has anyone been to Liza's place lately X.

MO2 Restobar Restaurant.

Moonlight Street, Subangdaku, North Reclamation Area, Mandaue 6014, Philippines.

Big place in Mandaue with live band and Disco inside Was recommended by a cutie and went there with another one. It was Wednesday and was not completely packed, the music was ok and the food and drink affordable, I spent 500 pesos for a salad and ice tea, a milk shake and sisig, 2 rises for my girl. Nice service.

Wicked Roger
03-15-15, 17:02
I always like to read these whether or not I may agree with them as it always gives me other places to eat. This link gives you a good overview on Cebu eateries whether you have a limited time or live there.

I have visited some on this list and I know others would disagree with some selections (eg Pizza Michelangelo = best pizza) but this is a good list o work from and take your pick.

But horse sashimi? Best exotic dish? One to avoid for me.

http://bestofcebu.sunstar.com.ph/category/food-drink/

Irony Monger
05-23-15, 08:05
I always like to read these whether or not I may agree with them as it always gives me other places to eat. This link gives you a good overview on Cebu eateries whether you have a limited time or live there.Hmmm. Seems to be missing an entry for best snatch sushi. Too bad, would have definitely eaten there.

Wicked Roger
05-23-15, 23:31
Was looking for somewhere different and had heard about this place. I went to the one on Cuenco Ave near Country Mall (Banilad way). Small compact, opposite the Petron petrol station, with parking.

It reminded me of Michel Deli, Tinderbox etc where the food is OK and there some European food items for sale.

See the link and the picture below. Was cheap, food was nice, interesting pastries and beer cheap. Again nothing fancy but was OK for 600 pesos for 2 of us so I can't complain.

There is another outlet in Banawa but I have not been to that one.

http://brusselscafe.asia/homeReturned here the other day and the owner was on hand. Nice guy, lived in the country for some time and menus was slightly bigger but cost still the same. Less than 600 pesos for 2 people including in alcoholic drinks.

Also for the diabetics amongst the mongering fraternity he said he uses soya milk which I think is good for diabetics and he tomato sauces on the dishes are pure tomato not a caned version hat contains sugar.

Had a good time and was a pleasant evening.

The Banilad one is near Country Mall and there is some parking.

Wicked Roger
07-08-15, 15:05
Went to Moshi Moshi which is next to Henry hotel in Banilad. This is Japanese / Korean restaurant that had a lot of Japanese / Korean guest plus a few locals. I was the only westerner!

Good food, nice service, and I thought the sashimi plate of squid, tuna and salmon was excellent. Udon noodles and plenty of choice even if you are not a kimchi fan LOL.

For three of use the bill including soft drinks was around PHP 1700 and we took the sashimi plate twice (total around PHP 1000).

If this is your flavour for food try it as I will go again for sure.

Here is link before my friend Xman asks for one LOL.

https://www.facebook.com/moshicebu

https://www.zomato.com/cebu/moshi-moshi-yakiniku-banilad-mandaue-city

Cjetset
09-03-15, 18:32
First of all I always appreciate your input and recommendations on this board, they are very helpful. I thought Moshi Moshi was just OK. Maybe cause I'm from New York and I'm spoiled with great sushi and sashimi restaurants. Moshi Moshi has cook tops on the tables and has a mixed menu. Sushi is just a small part of their offerings so it's not strictly a sushi bar. Plus where they slice and prepare you sushi is in the back which I didn't like. Service was great and the staff nice. Prices were good. And the little area around the Henry hotel is becoming a cool little spot. But for sushi, I actually like Azabu better. But like women, it's always great to try new places so thanks for the reco!

Went to Moshi Moshi which is next to Henry hotel in Banilad. This is Japanese / Korean restaurant that had a lot of Japanese / Korean guest plus a few locals. I was the only westerner!

Good food, nice service, and I thought the sashimi plate of squid, tuna and salmon was excellent. Udon noodles and plenty of choice even if you are not a kimchi fan LOL.

For three of use the bill including soft drinks was around PHP 1700 and we took the sashimi plate twice (total around PHP 1000).

If this is your flavour for food try it as I will go again for sure.

Here is link before my friend Xman asks for one LOL.

Stroker Ace88
09-07-15, 06:27
Stopped in and had lunch at SIAM. I have been coming here since they opened and wow has the quality of the food taken a nose-dive.

I ordered traditional phad thai and an off the menu order of chicken in garlic (which was on the menu up until 2013). The phad thai was bland as heck, and the chicken did not contain any garlic. The cook just deep fried the chicken in peanut oil. I know locals are famous for preferring food that's either very bland or sickly sweet, so maybe the cooks are catering more to a local clientele.

I ordered bottomless iced-T but I didn't get my drink and had to remind one of the servers to get them to bring it to me. My server was OJT so service sucked.

I find it sad the quality has gone down so much, I really enjoyed this resto in the past. They have a dish called spicy tuna salad, which is basically raw tuna marinated in vinegar and a hint of calamansi, mix in small diced tomatoes, cucumbers and chopped fresh chillies and serve. They used to fly the tuna in fresh from GenSan, but that stopped a few years back as well, so I stopped ordering it when they lowered the quality of the tuna and increased the price.

I know this resto is NOTHING like authentic thai food you can get in Thailand, but for a local offering I enjoyed it, but I am not so sure I will give them another try. Plenty of other places around that serve better food.

X Man
09-07-15, 09:51
W Roger, I love Japanese food and pretty much stick to J food in J. But if you want to buy me dinner, I might relent. BTW, that meal at we had at Makati last year was to die for!

Good food, nice service, and I thought the sashimi plate of squid, tuna and salmon was excellent. SNIP

Wicked Roger
09-07-15, 13:44
W Roger, I love Japanese food and pretty much stick to J food in J. But if you want to buy me dinner, I might relent. BTW, that meal at we had at Makati last year was to die for!Glad you enjoyed it. PM me when you are in town and see if I am. Japanese food for me is something of hot and miss, is OK but not great. I prefer other food but my diet does not like it LOL.

X Man
10-21-15, 15:54
I've eaten at the Maxilom St. Lighthouse once. I never ate there again. I thought it was kind of cheesy. I did notice that they had new branches here and there. Apparently, some Chinese diplomats had a bit of gun play at one of the branches. What is your fav restaurant in Cebu? X.

Wicked Roger
10-21-15, 19:03
I've eaten at the Maxilom St. Lighthouse once. I never ate there again. I thought it was kind of cheesy. I did notice that they had new branches here and there. Apparently, some Chinese diplomats had a bit of gun play at one of the branches. What is your fav restaurant in Cebu? X.Definitely not Lighthouse LOL.

Seeing some comments. Shot by their colleagues from the same mission / consulate, 2 dead,2 arrested (do they have diplomatic immunity?

My fav depends on what type of food but Tavolata is up there in the top 3 as is Pho Phat, Canvas is also one I visited a lot plus the odd Japanese place (eve the odd lechon when I want to clog my arteries LOL).

But Cebu has a good range nowadays for all tastes and wallets.

LevDog
11-01-15, 07:39
Here are my top 5 favorite meals in Cebu City. Note -I do not eat red meat or rice, so all of the following do not include those ingredients.

1. Chicken Parmesan- Fuente Pension House.

Delicious, filling and inexpensive (190 p.) Plus great place to take your girls, located on the top floor- rooftop restaurant with a great view of the city.

2. Shrimp on the Barbie. Casa Verde- they have 3 locations, original off of Ramos, Ayala and IT Park. I get it with fries instead of rice, same price. My favorite appetizer is.

Called Theresa Pieces- basically tasty chicken strips.

3. Seafood Pasta at Ilaputi in IT Park, the dish is called Tritons Treat. Another nice place to take a girl, live band on selected nights.

4. Favorite omelette is the cheese omelette at Our Place in colon. I always get the fried potatoes with it.

5. Chicken Teriyaki at Sumo Sam in Ayala, order it with rice for your date, she will love it. I don't eat rice so I get it without rice but I order the Sumo Pride salad with it.

Wicked Roger
11-01-15, 09:32
Here are my top 5 favorite meals in Cebu City. Note -I do not eat red meat or rice, so all of the following do not include those ingredients.

1. Chicken Parmesan- Fuente Pension House.

Delicious, filling and inexpensive (190 p.) Plus great place to take your girls, located on the top floor- rooftop restaurant with a great view of the city.

2. Shrimp on the Barbie. Casa Verde- they have 3 locations, original off of Ramos, Ayala and IT Park. I get it with fries instead of rice, same price. My favorite appetizer is.

Called Theresa Pieces- basically tasty chicken strips.

3. Seafood Pasta at Ilaputi in IT Park, the dish is called Tritons Treat. Another nice place to take a girl, live band on selected nights.

4. Favorite omelette is the cheese omelette at Our Place in colon. I always get the fried potatoes with it.

5. Chicken Teriyaki at Sumo Sam in Ayala, order it with rice for your date, she will love it. I don't eat rice so I get it without rice but I order the Sumo Pride salad with it.Also good choices but for me I can't eat at most of those places sadly (reasons I won't explain) I used to and I liked # 1, 2 and 5.

Good choices Lev Dog ad better for those on a budget than my selections LOL.

Pcpc1688
11-08-15, 22:58
Had lunch there yesterday based on reports. Not bad sashimi and Korean lunch set was very small with maybe 3 ozs of meat although good meat LOL. Tab was over 1300 which isn't cheap by Phils standards but about the same for US standards. Hagan Daz IC is way too much as it is everywhere in SE Asia about 3. 50 us per small scoop.

PC out.

Wicked Roger
12-11-15, 14:33
Canvas, one of my favorite eateries has moved to Banilad from Ayala Terraces. O idea why as I am only just back.

Address is now.
One Paseo Saturnino, along Maria Luisa Road, Banilad, Cebu City.

Link (as XMan likes them LOL) https://www.facebook.com/CanvasBistroBarGallery/.

Cjetset
12-17-15, 17:18
Canvas, one of my favorite eateries has moved to Banilad from Ayala Terraces. O idea why as I am only just back.

Address is now.
One Paseo Saturnino, along Maria Luisa Road, Banilad, Cebu City.

Link (as XMan likes them LOL) https://www.facebook.com/CanvasBistroBarGallery/.Went to Canvas in new Banilad location two weeks ago. It's next to the Henry hotel. Same staff, same solid food and wines. Would definitely recommend if you want to get away from mall atmosphere of Ayala.

Stroker Ace88
12-18-15, 11:27
4. Favorite omelette is the cheese omelette at Our Place in colon. I always get the fried potatoes with it.The omelette is not bad, but I prefer the chicken chester, the sizzling sissig, half chicken or the tasty pork chop.

Of course YMMV, as well as your taste buds.

Questor55
03-07-16, 05:59
Located just off Salinas in Lahug. Build your own pizza from a total of 50 ingredients. Price is fixed at 245 pesos, so you can go 'hog wild' on whatever you choose. If this isn't your best pizza of all time, blame yourself, because you built it!

Wicked Roger
03-07-16, 16:44
Located just off Salinas in Lahug. Build your own pizza from a total of 50 ingredients. Price is fixed at 245 pesos, so you can go 'hog wild' on whatever you choose. If this isn't your best pizza of all time, blame yourself, because you built it!I like the place also Questor and lots of the call center girls go there for a 'treat' from the usual rubbish in IT park. Only issue is parking which at times can be difficult and the fact that the traffic on Salinas at night is miserable.

Questor55
03-10-16, 06:22
I like the place also Questor and lots of the call center girls go there for a 'treat' from the usual rubbish in IT park. Only issue is parking which at times can be difficult and the fact that the traffic on Salinas at night is miserable.You're a better man than I am WR. Takes a brave man to drive in the Philippines!

LifeIsABeach
09-07-16, 05:27
St. Mark Hotel. Cebu City, Philippines.

Enjoy Unlimited Original and Spicy Lechon only from the BEST GYUD Rico's Lechon for only 348 nett per person inclusive of one round of standard drink every Friday 6 pm to 10 pm, Wednesday and Sunday 12 noon to 2 pm.

For table reservations, call 5055555.

Omega 3
01-12-17, 10:09
Recently enjoyed a memorable dinner at Anzani Prime. In my view, even better than the original Anzani in Nivel Hills, although without the stunning view. Same restaurant group.

I ordered the flat iron steak. My LP ordered the sea bass. She was pleased by the sea bass, which was brought out on a serving cart with table service. I was more than pleased with the flat iron, which also was brought out on a cart, and served on a thick slab of pink Himalayan rock salt.

Great food, quietly understated excellence, impeccable service, cozy venue, and good value (about P1,000 each before sides or drinks). In my view, on a par with (or perhaps even better than?) Blackbird in the renovated old airport runway tower at the Ayala Triangle in Makati.

Anzani Prime is located up an outside staircase above Tinderbox, on Gov M Cuenco Ave (fka Banilad Road) just east of Crossroads.

Note: before or after dinner, enjoy a drink (or bottle) in the "wine cellar" inside Tinderbox.

Bon appetite!

OM.

Omega 3
02-20-17, 11:47
During a recent cool spell here in Cebu, enjoyed several pleasant dinners at Red House Taiwan Shabu Shabu. Must have gained 5 lbs!

Red House is located a couple of doors down from the MJ Hotel on Apitong Street. From Parklane Hotel, head west on Escario, past Miki (tiny hole in the wall with decent coffee and Japanese pastries, which was closed for awhile but recently re-opened) about 20 meters (toward Gororordo), then turn north up the first lane, which is Apitong Street, a narrow one-way street. You will see posters for Grand Isabella Apartments plastered on the wall or on telephone poles.

This is authentic Taiwanese hot pot (Chinese huo guo) and actually not Japanese shabu shabu, but perhaps a distinction without too much substance. Customers order platters of sliced meat, seafood, tofu (including tau pwe), leafy greens and other vegetables, noodles, and various other dishes, and then place them gradually into the bubbling broth in the communal hot pot over a live burner in the middle of the table. Certain items (for example, corn coblets, or gabi or other root veggies) will cook more slowly than, for example, sliced meat, and thus should be placed first.

Sauces and condiments are on a central table. Add a healthy amount of sate sauce (sha cha BBQ sauce) to a small bowl, add soy sauce, chili oil, vinegar, chopped onions, grated garlic, sliced chilis, chopped scallions, and cilantro, to suit your palate.

Would suggest first-timers starting with Combo "(B)" (at P680 + 50 each for soup stock), plus rice extra. Less than P1,000 total and plenty for two. Drinks extra but reasonably priced.

First became a fan of huo guo during chilly winter evenings in Taipei in the early 70's, near the Inkuan circle at the confluence of Nanking (Nanjing) West Road and Chunking (Chongqing) North Road. That Taiwan hot pot was the best I have ever eaten, although parking there was always a challenge. Red House here in Cebu City comes close.

Red House: tasty food, pleasant service, decent ambiance, reasonable prices. In my view, head and shoulders above Lucky Bowl Taiwan Shabu Shabu on Cabahug Street and also on A. S. Fortuna, or Shabu Way in Ayala Terraces.

Most of the customers are local Filipinos, Japanese, and Koreans enjoying their Jinro. Virtually no other westerners.

"Bon appetit"!

OM.

P.S. Often crowded for dinner before 8:30 pm, so either make a reservation, or be prepared to wait, or go late.

X Man
02-23-17, 00:31
Thanks Omega. I've walked past this place numerous times when I was staying at MJ. I'll have to give it a try.

I think these kind of places are more fun in groups. X.

During a recent cool spell here in Cebu, enjoyed several pleasant dinners at Red House Taiwan Shabu Shabu. Must have gained 5 lbs!

Red House is located a couple of doors down from the MJ Hotel on Apitong Street. From Parklane Hotel, head west on Escario, past Miki (tiny hole in the wall with decent coffee and Japanese pastries, which was closed for awhile but recently re-opened) about 20 meters (toward Gororordo), then turn north up the first lane, which is Apitong Street, a narrow one-way street. You will see posters for Grand Isabella Apartments plastered on the wall or on telephone poles.

This is authentic Taiwanese hot pot (Chinese huo guo)
SNIP
P.S. Often crowded for dinner before 8:30 pm, so either make a reservation, or be prepared to wait, or go late.

LifeIsABeach
05-12-17, 05:32
https://www.facebook.com/nagomidk/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

Address.

Nagomi is at No. 68 Don Gil Garcia St. ,Capitol site cebu city.

The corner is LG and 7 eleven. Near NBI!

Back street of Avon Building.

★Our Operating Hour.

Mon-Sat 11:30 am to 2:00 pm,5:00 pm to 10:30 pm.

Sun 5:00 pm to 9:30 pm.

We can accept reservation.

Mobile:09177702802,091777007872.

Toronto
06-01-17, 06:18
I tried pig and palm restaurant recently. Bit pricey for Cebu but nothing crazy. Food was pretty good and nice decor. Wasn't too crowded on a weekday but not sure if reservation would be necessary for weekends. Oh and uber now seems to be working well in Cebu. Seemed cheaper than grab.

http://thepigandpalm.ph/

Omega 3
06-13-17, 07:13
Ate at Pig & Palm last year, shortly after it opened. Was curious about this new venture by Michelin one-star chef Jason Atherton and his Cebuana wife, Irha. P&P reportedly is a joint venture of the Athertons with local property developers Chris and Carla McKowen (Carla is the daughter of the wealthy Chinese-Filipino family which owns the MSY Tower, in which P&P is located, as well as a number of other properties here). After working at other restaurants, including at the Gordon Ramsay Group, Chef Jason opened his first restaurant, The Social Company, in London, and now has something like a total of 16 restaurants in London, NYC, Shanghai, HK, Dubai, and Cebu. Three of these restaurants are Michelin one-starred. Obviously, quite successful.

My conclusion about P&P: tasty enough, but a bit overpriced for Cebu. A lot of hype about Cebu's "first Michelin rated restaurant" but not really spectacular.

Have not yet eaten at the newly-opened Cebu (SM Seaside Mall) branch of Tim Ho Wan, the HK Michelin one-star dim sum restaurant, although have previously eaten at THW in Makati Glorieta and at THW branches in HK and Singapore. Food seems quite similar at all of the branches tried. Obviously, quite a successful dim sum restaurant chain.

My conclusion, in short, as to each of these branches or sisters of Michelin one-star restaurants: tasty enough, and among the better restaurants in Cebu, but nothing really spectacular.

Your taste buds and conclusions may differ.

OM.

Wicked Roger
06-14-17, 04:43
My conclusion about P&P: tasty enough, but a bit overpriced for Cebu. A lot of hype about Cebu's "first Michelin rated restaurant" but not really spectacular.

Your taste buds and conclusions may differ.

OM.I agree Omega. The place is nice but why pay top prices for food that is OK when there are many others that don't have the same high price tag.

Visiting here was OK and is something you can do once in a while but not every week when there are plenty of other cheaper restos around.

Is like the Social in Ayala, is OK but the prices are high for what I consider basic finger food.

Fat Bruce
06-20-17, 19:56
Decided to flash the cash by taking my provincial visitor to the big lunch buffet at the Radisson blu. My friend had a great time trying out so much new food. You should have seen her face when she tried Danish blue cheese! Priceless. Trip there backfired on me because shortly afterwards I had possibly the most violent vomiting fit of my long life! Just proves we are not invincible!

Wicked Roger
06-21-17, 07:14
Decided to flash the cash by taking my provincial visitor to the big lunch buffet at the Radisson blu. My friend had a great time trying out so much new food. You should have seen her face when she tried Danish blue cheese! Priceless. Trip there backfired on me because shortly afterwards I had possibly the most violent vomiting fit of my long life! Just proves we are not invincible!Reminds of one cutie I took to the Shangri La for the very expensive but tasty seafood buffett. She had a great time (pinays love seafood) but threw up into the wine bucket and then finished her meal, took some photos (obligatory for Facebook etc) and then we shagged the night away LOL.

Sorry yours did not go as planned.

Also Christmas at the Radisson is good for a feast also.