PDA

View Full Version : Questions and Comments about the recent software upgrade to vB 4. 0

Admin
12-19-10, 08:18
Questions and Comments about the recent software upgrade to vB 4. 0

AfAsia
12-19-10, 08:30
Over the last 18 or so hours keep getting,"server too busy", problems trying to stay logged in.

Perhaps you had a number of "tweeks" to do, fine-tuning?

Angus Magee
12-19-10, 09:33
Over the last 18 or so hours keep getting,"server too busy", problems trying to stay logged in.

Perhaps you had a number of "tweeks" to do, fine-tuning? I had this problem too yesterday. Perhaps 50% of the time I tried to access the site I was told the server was too busy.

AM

Artisttyp
12-19-10, 10:35
I've been having problems seeing all the reports in the thread while roaming on my blackberry. For some reason it's in the same place more or less every time. The space is completely blank.

I also cannot access the "other forums" section. When I was looking for guatemala I had to use the search engine instead.

I never had these issues with the old software. I'm sure Jackson is aware of the situation, Give him time to work out the kinks. It takes a while to get new software running.

Atomic Sunburn
12-19-10, 10:38
I'm surprised the new software doesn't allow for an avatar.

Iron Duke
12-19-10, 13:15
The old software allowed one to see thumbnails of photos in reports without having to open them to see whether one wanted to look a them.

The new software shows icons only, ie no thumbnails, no matter what settings are used.

It would be nice if the thumbnails could be restored.

Fun And Sun
12-19-10, 23:18
I like the new format of the forum. I think it's now a bit faster and the photo gallery feature is absolutely great.

I find the automatic editing of posts a bit annoying since it changes wording and punctuation automatically and wish that I could turn this function of for my posts.

Goyave
12-20-10, 10:13
I like the new format of the forum. I think it's now a bit faster and the photo gallery feature is absolutely great.

I find the automatic editing of posts a bit annoying since it changes wording and punctuation automatically and wish that I could turn this function of for my posts. Agreed. It seems that there is also a problem (since the upgrade) with the url BBcode. When one wants to include a link within a sentence using the url BBcode syntax, the post is edited automatically and it adds puctuation and carriage returns before and after the link, which is not wanted.

For instance, this is.

a link (http://www.internationalsexguide.info/)

Within a sentence using the url BBcode syntax (I wrote it without the carriage returns in only one single sentence).

BionicMan
12-20-10, 16:22
There are moments that when opening multi-pages the response is something like "you need to log in".

Since I was logged in. (and did not happen in the past) I rate it is a sort of bug or teething problems.

It happened also when opening the "All The Forum" hot link fromthe home page.

Sorted by linking through the "forum" tab.

The time to re-edit the posts seems having been shortened.
I hope that when banners come back again the paying members do not see them when in stealth mode (as promised by the subscription) since it is embarassing to open the forum and have the banner of the Pattaya Hotel with tunners oppoing out to the eyes of anybody nearby.
Without that banner the forum is more discreet and can be ANY forum since a common forum format :)

Just my fuel for the thoughts.

Ebauche
12-24-10, 18:28
I can see them in the photo gallery. Is it possible for them to still show in the various threads? I tend to focus my reading / reporting / research on where I am / am going.

Sorry to bring up a minor point.

Seamaster811
12-28-10, 15:50
Can automatic editting please be turned off? Many posts contain non-English words (this is an INTERNATIONAL site, after all) and the new software automatically edits the spelling and grammar into something bizzare. Really annoying.

Ebauche
01-02-11, 06:15
I can see them in the photo gallery. Is it possible for them to still show in the various threads? I tend to focus my reading / reporting / research on where I am / am going.

Sorry to bring up a minor point. Thank you very much for fixing this. Greatly appreciated.

AfAsia
01-02-11, 07:00
Love the photo thumbnail dispay. However, it is slow. Find it quicker to:

Right click on photo.

Then left click, new tab / window:cool:

Smilie not playing ball.

Johnny Maldiva
01-04-11, 04:21
The photo gallery is great! Never knew it existed or if it's a site improvement, thankyou for doing that. One thing that could be improved is when you click View Report it doesn't take you to the actual report, just the page on which it's on. So you have to scroll down and find the specific report. Is this happening for anyone else? Would love this to be fixed if possible.

Wayne Roberts
01-05-11, 16:45
Search functionality is a bit limited at the moment. In advanced search, I can't seem to find a way to search with reports by POST not TOPIC.

I'm looking for the individual posts within the threads

Goyave
01-06-11, 16:48
Search functionality is a bit limited at the moment. In advanced search, I can't seem to find a way to search with reports by POST not TOPIC.

I'm looking for the individual posts within the threadsIn the "Advanced Search" window, you have to click on the "Search Single Content Type" tab, then select "Posts", enter your keywords, then select "Show results as reports" (instead of "threads"). Check this report and its attachment: http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/showthread.php?2677-Bangkok-Reports&p=1109692&viewfull=1#post1109692

Digits
01-10-11, 23:07
I do not see the 1000 posts per page print option. Did it go away because of the upgrade?

Digits

Hairy Wonder
01-11-11, 05:24
I see many people asking about this. I posted the following report for instructions on how to setup your account to be able to view the thumbnails within the reports. http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/showthread.php?2446-Photo-Gallery&p=1110460&viewfull=1#post1110460

Enjoy!

HW

Hairy Wonder
01-11-11, 05:33
Many reports that I have filed are missing the smilies. I have even gone to the Smilies page to copy and paste the code directly into my reports. Still they are not there. Is it possible that I need to change another setting to correct this?

HW

Fun And Sun
01-12-11, 00:22
I see many people asking about this. I posted the following report for instructions on how to setup your account to be able to view the thumbnails within the reports.

http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/showthread.php?2446-Photo-Gallery&p=1110460&viewfull=1#post1110460

Enjoy!

HWHi HW,

Thanks, that got it working for me.

One question, how do you do the links to an existing report from a new report? Am probably being stupid, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it in the new forum.

Goyave
01-12-11, 02:52
...One question, how do you do the links to an existing report from a new report? Am probably being stupid, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it in the new forum.You first search where the existing report is located. When you've found it, you right click on the post number (for instance: #20) that is located in the top right side of the post, and select "Copy link address". Then, in the new report, you just have to paste the link to the other report: http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/showthread.php?3175-Questions-and-Comments-about-the-recent-software-upgrade-to-vB-4.-0&p=1111474&viewfull=1#post1111474

Goyave
01-12-11, 03:02
Many reports that I have filed are missing the smilies. I have even gone to the Smilies page to copy and paste the code directly into my reports. Still they are not there. Is it possible that I need to change another setting to correct this?

HW

For smilies (that's when the smilies are activated, of course) and other problems related with the new automatic editing software, there is an easy solution. Just before submitting your report, you select all the text (CTRL-A), copy it (CRL-C) and click on the [Add Report] button. And immediately after that, you edit your report that you have just posted, select all the text (CTRL-A) and paste the previous version (before automatic editing) that is still in your computer clipboard (CTRL-V) and then, save the changes. As the automatic editing is processed only on the initial submission, and not on edited versions, your report should then appear like you wanted it to be.

Stravinsky
01-13-11, 18:39
Greetings from the Russia forum,

I know that English is the official language of the ISG, but prior to the new software upgrade we were able to include Russian words and phrases in our posts using the Cyrillic character set. This is important for guys who are traveling in Russia and don't have any / limited Russian language skills.

Now, when I include Cyrillic characters in my posts, they are not resolved properly and all we get is a lot of gibberish.

Can this be fixed so that we can have the same functionality that we did in the old software?

Spasibah (smilie)

Goyave
01-13-11, 19:26
... Now, when I include Cyrillic characters in my posts, they are not resolved properly and all we get is a lot of gibberish...

At the moment, because of the new automatic-editing program, you have to do the same thing that I have suggested for smilies in my previous post (http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/showthread.php?3175-Questions-and-Comments-about-the-recent-software-upgrade-to-vB-4.-0&p=1111534&viewfull=1#post1111534) in this thread if you want that the extended characters in your report appear correctly.

- Россия (Moscow in Cyrillic)
- กรุงเทพมหานคร อมรรัตนโกสินทร์ มหินทรายุทธยา มหาดิลกภพ นพรัตนราชธานีบุรีรมย์ อุดมราชนิเวศน์มหาสถาน อมรพิมานอวตารสถิต สักกะทัตติยะวิษณุกรรมประสิทธิ์ (Bangkok in Thai)

Goyave
01-13-11, 21:44
... Россия (Moscow in Cyrillic)
Oops! Россия is not Moscow (Москва), but Russia, of course!

Goyave
01-14-11, 04:42
I do not see the 1000 posts per page print option...

Just under the title of the current thread, look at the right side of the page, and you should notice a menu ("Thread Tools") with several options, one of them is "Show Printable Version". When you click on this option, the first page will be displayed, and then, another option is now available on the top right side of the webpage: "Show 1000 post(s) from this thread on one page (http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/printthread.php?t=3175&pp=1000)". Click on this link, et voilą!

Hairy Wonder
01-14-11, 05:06
For smilies (that's when the smilies are activated, of course) and other problems related with the new automatic editing software, there is an easy solution. Just before submitting your report, you select all the text (CTRL-A), copy it (CRL-C) and click on the [Add Report] button. And immediately after that, you edit your report that you have just posted, select all the text (CTRL-A) and paste the previous version (before automatic editing) that is still in your computer clipboard (CTRL-V) and then, save the changes. As the automatic editing is processed only on the initial submission, and not on edited versions, your report should then appear like you wanted it to be.Thanks for the information Goyave! I didn't think to look at the setting for smilies at the bottom of the screen. But now that I have, I notice that it is set to "OFF". Any advice on how to change it to "ON"?

Stravinsky
01-14-11, 06:43
Oops! Россия is not Moscow (Москва), but Russia, of course!

Got it! Thanks Goyave.

Карла Маркса я читаю, ничего я понимаю

Goyave
01-14-11, 11:02
Thanks for the information Goyave! I didn't think to look at the setting for smilies at the bottom of the screen. But now that I have, I notice that it is set to "OFF". Any advice on how to change it to "ON"?

I think that it's a setting that is only configured by the administrator of this board: for some threads (most of them as it seems), smilies are activated (ON) and for a few others (just like this one), they aren't (OFF). Nothing that you can do on your side, if I am not mistaken.

Mtraveller
01-16-11, 19:23
Chinese Test - 在北京写中文
在北京写中文 (writing Chinese in Beijing )

SlimHoleDrill
01-16-11, 21:48
The new format is just about unusable on my mobile phone. Running microsoft mobile, which I know is outdated, but that doesn't help. Any suggestions?

Mantid
01-28-11, 08:47
The search is worthless. When I am in a forum and search for something that is mentioned many times, I get a listing of unrelated forums and not a listing of all posts in the forum I was in with the search words. What's up. Am I doing something wrong. It use to work.

AussieGaigin
01-28-11, 11:47
Using this menu bar function seems to bring varying levels of "new"; sometimes 5 or 6 pages, sometimes only 5 or 6 reports.

This feature is very handy for getting a quick overview of what has been posted recently, without going to several individual threads.

Would it be possible for posts to be kept here for, say. 24 hours before deletion, so we have a review of the past day's activity?

Buko Max
01-28-11, 19:08
Would it be possible for posts to be kept here for, say. 24 hours before deletion, so we have a review of the past day's activity?As far as my experience goes, every time you click the 'new reports' tab, you will see all the new posts since the last time you logged in up to five pages.

Goyave
02-02-11, 11:29
The search is worthless. When I am in a forum and search for something that is mentioned many times, I get a listing of unrelated forums and not a listing of all posts in the forum I was in with the search words. What's up. Am I doing something wrong. It use to work.Have you tried to use the "Advanced Search" function? It works fine for me. Here is an example (see the attachment) : http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/showthread.php?2677-Bangkok-Reports&p=1109692&viewfull=1#post1109692

Buko Max
02-07-11, 22:29
1. Have noticed that you only have 90 MINUTES to edit a report although it says 25 HOURS in FAQ.

2. While writing a report, it does not time out anymore after 30 minutes.

11Bravo
06-18-11, 12:04
For smilies (that's when the smilies are activated, of course) and other problems related with the new automatic editing software, there is an easy solution. Just before submitting your report, you select all the text (CTRL-A), copy it (CRL-C) and click on the [Add Report] button. And immediately after that, you edit your report that you have just posted, select all the text (CTRL-A) and paste the previous version (before automatic editing) that is still in your computer clipboard (CTRL-V) and then, save the changes. As the automatic editing is processed only on the initial submission, and not on edited versions, your report should then appear like you wanted it to be.Thanks for the WORKAROUND, but how about a FIX? It's a PIA to have to go back and re-edit to correct the "auto-corrects".

Thanks.

Member #4351
06-18-11, 16:51
Please either GET RID of the quick reply option for answering PMs or mention that by using this option the message thread will be broken.

Amerioca
06-21-11, 20:18
Questions and Comments about the recent software upgrade to vB 4. 0Hi Jackson,

Pages seem to load up faster.

The dark blue, complimented by red, looks great.

I hope all is well in BA.

Cheers,

Amerioca

Nvslim
06-22-11, 08:59
I am seeing two columns with the text squeezed into a left hand column and not going all the way across the screen.

Makes reading hard as long text and quotes go on forever down the page in a thin column.

I am using Firefox 5. 0.

Slim

Wanking
07-04-11, 20:23
Hi Jackson,

I see that in Internet Explorer 9, gaps are not showing between paragraphs, making the page one big block of text and making reports hard to read.

SE Asia Joe
07-15-11, 04:03
Why does it seem to me that it takes forever to access pages here nowadays?

I have used various browsers. IE, Firefox, Chrome etc. And nothing works / takes forever to not only pull up threads, look at pictures, post reports etc. To the point that I've basically stopped reading / posting anything on this forum.

Just too frustrating!

SEAJ

Artisttyp
07-15-11, 04:33
Why does it seem to me that it takes forever to access pages here nowadays?

I have used various browsers. IE, Firefox, Chrome etc. And nothing works / takes forever to not only pull up threads, look at pictures, post reports etc. To the point that I've basically stopped reading / posting anything on this forum.

Just too frustrating!

SEAJI am having the same problem.

Member #2041
07-15-11, 06:18
I am having the same problem.Me as well. It seems to be consistently hanging up while searching for a site address: "www.isgadvertising.com"

Bobo.fr
07-21-11, 23:53
I used the Search function to retrieve my posts (Author = Bobo. Fr) : I could not display the pages other than page 1!

Netsik
07-23-11, 21:32
Dear Jackson.

When I go in to the photo gallery and click any other page, I see still the first page photos.

Regards.

Netsik

Jan 156
09-14-11, 21:08
Dear Jackson, or anyone else that might know. .

I can't seem to find a help faq on this and not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm not having much luck with the search function.

I used to be able to select a particular forum to search. Now it seems to only return results unsorted worldwide. This is not much help if you want to search a particular contributor's posts (or one's own) in a specific city when that poster travels worldwide. There's also no explanation I can see that differentiates between 'tabs' and 'keywords'. If there is a post somewhere giving straightforward instructions (other than the very brief one in the faqs) I would be most appreciative. Or maybe someone has figured it out? Or maybe it just doesn't handle advanced searches to the same extent that the old software did?

Kind regards,

Christopherd.

Member #4351
09-15-11, 01:20
I used to be able to select a particular forum to search. Now it seems to only return results unsorted worldwide.Try clicking "Search Single Content Type" instead of "Search Multiple Content Types".

Jan 156
09-19-11, 01:56
Try clicking "Search Single Content Type" instead of "Search Multiple Content Types".Thanks! Don't know how I missed that.

SE Asia Joe
09-19-11, 14:15
Don't know what I did, how I did it. But all of a sudden anytime I go to a thread, I go to the FIRST page of the thread I / o the LATEST / LAST page.

I'Ve gone thru the FAQ and found this piece.

Can I change the order of posts?

You have a choice over how you view threads. When you're in a thread, look at the top bar. On the right hand side you'll see 'Display Mode'. Click on this and it lets you change how posts are ordered.But for the life of me. I just cannot see that "Display Mode". Not on the Right top, not on the left, not ANYWHERE on ANY page!

I've already tried all sort of other things I could think of / read up on here. But have up to now NOT succeeded in being able to get the latest pages up on any thread.

BTW. If I'm NOT signed on, the pages do come up OK with the LATEST page on the top and the problem only arises when I AM signed on.

Can somebody please give me some advise on this.

Many Thanks.

SEAJ

James02
10-03-11, 01:16
I would like to see a sub catogory or general info thread for each continent or contory so we can discuss each continent or contory in general so we can make a desision on the best place to visit.

MarcoDr
02-28-12, 01:38
I would like to see posts in ascending order within a thread (that is: oldest first, newest later) just as it is in print mode. Example:

Page 1 of this thread in standard mode (BAD) (http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/showthread.php?3175-Questions-and-Comments-about-the-recent-software-upgrade-to-vB-4.-0)

Page 1 of this thread in print mode (CORRECT) (http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/printthread.php?t=3175&pp=15&page=1)

The current default mode is not very practical. If you select "View First Unread" you get the latest post, not the first unread.

Thank you

LowRyda
04-29-12, 04:54
Hi guys,

Can anyone please tell me how the search engine functionality works?

For example if I type a keyword into the search bar e. G. 'cowboy' I would expect the search results to return all threads containing cowboy and if it is on multiple pages in those threads then only those page links which are in there would be displayed, not all pages in general. What I seem to find now is that I can't find anything I'm looking for because of this. Is this a known issue or is there another way to find only the pages with the keyword or keywords that I'm looking for?

Thanks

====================================================

Hi LowRyda,

Did you consider changing the option to display search results "by report" instead of "by thread"?

Thanks,

Jackson

11Bravo
05-06-12, 03:56
1. Whatever happened to the "Join Date" in the user profiles? Clicking on the user name on any of his posts brought up the pop-up window where you could view the user's profile. It used to contain when the user joined. I found this quite useful in determining user credibility, as in the difference between someone who joined 2 months ago and has 5 posts, all questions vs someone who joined 4 years ago and has 10 posts, all questions.

2. Are searches cached in some way? Search does not appear to be searching recent posts (as in this year).

Example:

In.

http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/showthread.php?2394-Dubai-Reports

Using the Search Thread, and entering: ramadan.

Returns as the FIRST result:

09-14-09 18:52
United Arab Emirates: Dubai Reports.
Spikeleejoint.

And there's a line at the top:

"Search: Search took 0. 18 seconds; generated 21 minute (s) ago."

Even though I just did the search.

Using the advanced search feature for the same: ramadan.

Returns as the FIRST result:

05-03-06 17:27
United Arab Emirates: Dubai Reports.
11Bravo.

Now I KNOW there's been more recent posts with ramadan in them, so using the brute force method of: Thread Tools. Show Printable Version. Show 1000 post (s) from this thread on one page.
Thus turning it into a text search using any browser's built-in search function, produces:

05-05-12, 12:43
11Bravo

So why isn't the search thread actually searching the current thread?

Show results are set as threads, and it is set to search in the UAE thread AND subforums.
Search type is posts.
Find posts are: any date and newer.
Sort results by Last Posting Date in descending order

Shuga
06-01-12, 19:53
Another bug has appeared regarding post counting. Some time ago new members got there numbers doubled, but now (1 June 2012) there's no counting at all. SleeplessCity has posted three times in the Dubai thread but still has the report count 0, see attached pic.

After posting this, my post count was incremented, so obviously it works for some members.

LowRyda
06-23-12, 01:12
Hey Jackson,

Thanks for your response. Just wondering how I display search results by report? Is this in settings?

Hi guys,

Can anyone please tell me how the search engine functionality works?

For example if I type a keyword into the search bar e. G. 'cowboy' I would expect the search results to return all threads containing cowboy and if it is on multiple pages in those threads then only those page links which are in there would be displayed, not all pages in general. What I seem to find now is that I can't find anything I'm looking for because of this. Is this a known issue or is there another way to find only the pages with the keyword or keywords that I'm looking for?

Thanks.

====================================================

Hi LowRyda,

Did you consider changing the option to display search results "by report" instead of "by thread"?

Thanks,

Jackson

11Bravo
08-22-12, 05:51
Before the upgrade, by checking a member's profile, you could see his "join" date. I found this very useful to establish the credibility of a poster. Example: Joined last month, couple of questions, no FR's: no problem; but a joined 2 years ago, 10 posts, all questions, no FR's, another matter.

Would like to see the Join Date info reinstated.

Param Ahmad
10-29-12, 06:30
Jackson (or current site administrator) :

Please eliminate the automatic formatting or editing that does the following:

(1) Automatically adds a space after periods and capitalizes the next letter, for example causing the third letter in the alphabet in "com" in a web site address to be preceded by a space and capitalized.

(2) Stop changing the third letter in the alphabet when used by itself, including in quotation marks, as in number (1) above, into the word 'see', requiring me to call it 'the third letter in the alphabet' to prevent the automatic editing from changing that single letter into the word 'see'.

(3) Allow ellipses in text (three dots or periods) , rather than automatically reduce a series of dots or periods to one. Many ISG contributors get around this by using asterisks with spaces between each asterisk (* * *) when an ellipses is what is intended. And if I don't put spaces between the three asterisks, my three asterisks are automatically reduced to a single asterisk by the automatic editing.

(4) Stop inserting a space after the close parenthesis.")" followed by a comma.

(5) Stop changing hyphens into periods. For example, in (3) above, I put a hyphen between the word parenthesis and ")", not a period.

(6) Stop capitalizing letters the writer did not capitalize.

In other words, leave it as the writer wrote it! The ISG's automatic editing often makes me look like a careless or sloppy writer. Red underlining of words not appearing in English is helpful for catching typing or spelling errors, but changing what I wrote is annoying and forces me to try various time-consuming ways of working around the automatic editing. I have no doubt other ISG contributors feel exactly as I do about this.

Param

AfAsia
04-14-19, 04:51
In the future will there be any options on Dark or Night Mode as I find the white background very hard on the old eyes?

Ikar0
11-09-19, 10:23
Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I've been having issues with using non-English characters, particularly Polish characters in place names. Everything seems fine in the report preview, but then the accented character is completely missing when the report is actually published. However, these characters can appear in other posts just fine.

It's not always consistent, and sometimes I could see the character missing in the report preview itself instead. So I'm not completely sure what's going on. The character in this one particular case is Latin small letter en with acute, or HTML entity ampersand hash 324 semicolon, as it shows up after previewing the report.

I could always just write without the accented characters, but sometimes it's pretty useful.