PDA

View Full Version : Getting around in Manila

Cunning Stunt
09-19-11, 15:52
Someone should start a new thread on "Manila taxis"!Sounds like a good idea!

Soapy Smith
09-20-11, 06:40
Sounds like a good idea!Hopefully we can keep the thread focused on giving directions and advising how to have good travel experiences rather than descending into arguments about the trustworthiness of Manila taxi drivers. Here's my contribution: using the light rail system.

I remember before I had arrived in Manila the first time in 2006 I lurked on another forum (which is now only in archives) for about three months gobbling up all I could learn about mongering haunts and tactics. I'd printed out a couple of very helpful posts that told where to find the EDSA Complex and LA Cafe. LA appealed to me, and I had an approximate address and knew names of a few of the nearby monger hotels, but I knew I'the be working in Quezon City and really did not have a sense about how to get from Quezon City to LA Cafe.

I arrived for a 5-month visit, got tied into a routine at work, and had been steered toward lodging near work. I'd found a National Bookstore close to my place and purchased a great little Metro Manila Citiatlas there for about 250 pesos. One of the best expenditures I ever made. I recommend it for anybody planning to be in Manila for more than a few days.

By the first weekend my glands had overpowered my brains. Between my Citiatlas and some monger's posting of phone numbers I figured out Las Palmas Hotel was near LAC and managed to make a Saturday night reservation. It was easy enough getting a cab to take me there, although I think I may have had to tell him it was on Mabini near Ermita. That fateful step began my addiction to young, thin, brown-skinned women. By the second weekend I'd figured out how to use the LRT (Light rail) and almost ceased needing taxis to aid the addiction. I continue to use the LRT whenever I can.

A few years ago the Philippine Daily Inquirer conducted a little travel experiment. It sent out three pairs of reporters on three or four point A to point B journeys. One team traveled only by jeepneys, a second went only by taxi, and a third went by LRT. For all the journeys the LRT team made it to point B in about half the time of the taxi team. The jeepney team took nearly twice as much time as the taxi team.

In the intervening years the light rails have gotten more crowded, but for anybody willing to put up with a little crowding (probably no worse than Seoul or Tokyo) , they're still faster. One rainy afternoon this June my squeeze walked a 17-year old friend from our hotel to the corner of Taft and UN Avenue. It was about 4 pm. She coaxed her to take the LRT North to Monumento where she lives (3. 5 to 4 miles—6. 5 km) , but the SYT was not familiar with the LRT and was afraid she'the miss her stop. She insisted on taking a jeepney. She did not get home until after 9 pm, and an angry mother blamed my squeeze. It seems the roads were flooded throughout Manila and Caloocan City and jeepneys could only sit and wait. Taxis weren't getting through either. But the LRT, since it's elevated, would have been a 20 to 30 minute ride to Monumento.

There are currently three lines that cover various routes. LRT 1, the oldest, runs from Baclaran, just north of the airport, North to Monumento where EDSA (Epifanio delos Santos Avenue) ends in Caloocan. It is elevated above Taft Avenue for much of the route. The second oldest line, MRT, connects to LRT 1 at the corner of Taft and EDSA. It makes a big loop eastward and then north along the route of EDSA, ending in Quezon City beside Trinoma Mall. LRT 1 has recently been extended East along EDSA to two further stations. It is scheduled to connect to the end of the MRT line at Trinoma in early 2012. A third line, LRT 2, is the newest, extending from Recto (Quiapo area of Manila City) eastward through parts of Manila, San Juan, Quezon City, and Marikina, and ending on the boundary of Marikina and Pasig City at Santolan. Passengers can connect to LRT 1 via a walkway at the Recto end, and to MRT in Cubao (Quezon City) by walking through two shopping malls. LRT 2 is wider, has excellent air conditioning, disabled access stations, and fewer passengers. Built by Hyundai, it is faster and smoother than either of the others.

The light rail has some disadvantages. They're usually crowded early mornings and evenings from about 5 to 8:30 with people going to and from work and universities. Westerners need to give up their discomfort about spatial distance from strangers. Fortunately, most Filipinos are quite hygiene conscious, and some occasional jostling against a young Filipina sometimes has its own rewards. In tight quarters there is potential for pickpocketing and pack slashing. When I get into crowded areas in the station or the train, I put my small backpack to the chest side and wrap my arms around it. Money goes either in a money belt under the shirt or with other valuables in a pack compartment closest to my chest. Luggage is not supposed to be carried on the train, but I've seen locals actually carry roosters in a wire cage and other bulky items. Finally, the trains don't go everywhere, and they only run from about 6 am until 10 pm. Some stations' ticket offices close at 9, so a multiple ride ticket avoids that problem and cuts down on waiting in lines.

Anybody planning to stay in Metro Manila for at least a week and thinking about traveling around the area can learn the system quite easily. The route maps are available online and on most city maps, and the stations, overhead except for a couple in Makati and one on LRT 2, are well marked and easy to spot. Most fares top out at 15 pesos, with the fare to and from the extended Northeast terminus of LRT 1 now at about 20 or 22 pesos.

Red Kilt
09-20-11, 11:05
. snip. .

in the intervening years the light rails have gotten more crowded, but for anybody willing to put up with a little crowding (probably no worse than seoul or tokyo) , they're still faster. .

anybody planning to stay in metro manila for at least a week and thinking about traveling around the area can learn the system quite easily. the route maps are available online and on most city maps, and the stations, overhead except for a couple in makati and one on lrt 2, are well marked and easy to spot. most fares top out at 15 pesos, with the fare to and from the extended northeast terminus of lrt 1 now at about 20 or 22 pesos.extremely useful and detailed post skip but i think you downplayed the "crowding" aspect somewhat.

i try to ride the mrt from ortigas to ayala stations around 3 times each week for work purposes.

between 7. 15 am and 10am and from around 4. 00pm to 9 pm it is almost impossible to even get aboard the trains if you try to board in ortigas or ayala because they are jam packed. you also need to know which side your exiting door will open so that you can be near to it to get out before it closes.

i use the mrt only if i can board before 7 am, between around 10am and 3 pm, or later after around 9pm.

it is nothing like the mtr in hong kong or singapore. it is small, crowded and ridiculously cheap so that everybody rides on the train instead of the hundreds of half-full buses that chug up and down edsa.

while your points about speed and efficiency are well-made and correct, potential mrt users need to know that riding in peak times can be very very frustrating.

Cunning Stunt
09-20-11, 21:45
Yup, second that. A good report on the dreaded MRT and the much better LRT (hope I got that right!).

I must admit that I have largely given up on getting around Manila and except for the odd trips to Malate or Makati / Taguig, tend to stay in my own neck of the woods, whilst in town. When I find a new young friend online, I rather expect her to come to me rather than vicky verky. I am seldom disappointed as these girls are accustomed to wasting hours trailing around town on the woefully inadequate transport systems.

Pompolino
09-20-11, 23:10
extremely useful and detailed post skip but i think you downplayed the "crowding" aspect somewhat.

i try to ride the mrt from ortigas to ayala stations around 3 times each week for work purposes.

between 7. 15 am and 10am and from around 4. 00pm to 9 pm it is almost impossible to even get aboard the trains if you try to board in ortigas or ayala because they are jam packed. you also need to know which side your exiting door will open so that you can be near to it to get out before it closes.

i use the mrt only if i can board before 7 am, between around 10am and 3 pm, or later after around 9pm.

it is nothing like the mtr in hong kong or singapore. it is small, crowded and ridiculously cheap so that everybody rides on the train instead of the hundreds of half-full buses that chug up and down edsa.

while your points about speed and efficiency are well-made and correct, potential mrt users need to know that riding in peak times can be very very frustrating.last saturday week ago riding the mrt from ortigas to taft ave to get to moa quicker than could have happened by taxi, i had my smart cell phone stolen in the crush that happened around ayala. i knew from this forum that we foreigners are targeted on public transport but even with this knowledge and a very watchful eye i knew as soon as the crush had eased i had been done but had seen nothing but had felt an incredible crush on all sides. i am sure there was a team of more than one crushing me all around. by the way this was the first time i had used public transport within manila. many times taking buses to the provinces and used public transport or jeepneys in the provinces.

be careful.

p

Jambo
09-21-11, 00:03
For added fun, try taking a taxi from Ermita to an area more uphill, such as Makati. I enjoyed having water coming into the taxi, no doubt though the numerous holes in the floorboards (do we still call it "floorboards"?) , which were only barely covered by rubber floor mats. Its like getting a free foot bath while you ride! Just praying the car does not stall.

More seriously, during these small floods, one of those horse-drawn carriages you see in Ermita sometimes may be just the ticket. If I recall correctly, the carriage is about 3'+ above the street, and in a pinch, the horse can swim!

Soapy Smith
09-21-11, 07:58
Extremely useful and detailed post Skip but I think you downplayed the "crowding" aspect somewhat.Maybe I've gone native. I have been known to travel in packed conditions. In the MRT section from Ayala to Cubao it is not unusual to wait through three or four trains to find one where there's minimal room to get on, and it is necessary to strategize your position near doors to be able to egress. But I confess I am not shy about pushing to get off. I suppose I will just be regarded as an ugly American. Actually I too avoid MRT for much of the weekday period you describe. The LRTs are less crowded, especially LRT 2. When I know I will be using more than one mode of transportation I try to plan to get on the LRT or MRT near the beginning of the line and get a seat right by a door. So getting on the MRT at the Taft Station is a much better bet than getting on at Ayala, and getting on at North Avenue headed south makes for easier travel. So I deliberately take a taxi or jeepney to the North Avenue station rather than to Quezon Avenue. Getting on the LRT 1 Northbound at Baclaran or EDSA or, heading southbound, getting on by Monumento or before makes it a lot easier to position yourself near a door. I always stand up from the seat just as the train leaves the station prior to my stop. People start moving to get my vacated seat and that creates a small vacuum that allows me to start moving toward the door. Some day I will ask what us old farts need for ID to be permitted to ride the first car with seniors and women.

Soapy Smith
09-21-11, 08:13
More seriously, during these small floods, one of those horse-drawn carriages you see in Ermita sometimes may be just the ticket. If I recall correctly, the carriage is about 3'+ above the street, and in a pinch, the horse can swim!Inquire about the price before you get aboard. I've heard some horror stories.

Soapy Smith
09-21-11, 08:37
More seriously, during these small floods, one of those horse-drawn carriages you see in Ermita sometimes may be just the ticket. If I recall correctly, the carriage is about 3'+ above the street, and in a pinch, the horse can swim!Reminds me of one of the funnier things that pops up around the city when streets start to flood. Sidewalks are higher than the street so usually allow you to get out of the water. Then you hit a break in the sidewalk, like a driveway break for some business, or perhaps you have to cross the street to another corner and just can't avoid the shin high water in the streets. So some enterprising Filipino shows up with a wooden fruit crate or a length of board and starts collecting tolls for pedestrians to use his board to cross the water.

Red Kilt
09-21-11, 10:58
. .

When I know I will be using more than one mode of transportation I try to plan to get on the LRT or MRT near the beginning of the line and get a seat right by a door. So getting on the MRT at the Taft Station is a much better bet than getting on at Ayala, and getting on at North Avenue headed south makes for easier travel. So I deliberately take a taxi or jeepney to the North Avenue station rather than to Quezon Avenue. Getting on the LRT 1 Northbound at Baclaran or EDSA or, heading southbound, getting on by Monumento or before makes it a lot easier to position yourself near a door. I always stand up from the seat just as the train leaves the station prior to my stop. People start moving to get my vacated seat and that creates a small vacuum that allows me to start moving toward the door. Some day I will ask what us old farts need for I'd to be permitted to ride the first car with seniors and women.To those guys who think this discussion has nothing to do with pussy, let me just say that it can help you understand why girls are sometimes seriously delayed. If you plan to meet a DIA girl, you need to be aware of what time of the day and the route she will follow in order to meet you. I am always very specific in telling her what time to leave home if she wants to be on time because I KNOW how long it will take her.

Re your last post Skip. We obviously think alike.

Your strategies are exactly what I use when I need to return home to Ortigas from Ayala at busy times. I squeeze on at Ayala and head south to Taft Ave (end of the line) then stay on train and grab a position beside the exit door for the return trip. Longer trip but still the same price and also still much faster than a cab from Ayala along EDSA.

Cunning Stunt
09-21-11, 12:41
Reminds me of one of the funnier things that pops up around the city when streets start to flood. Sidewalks are higher than the street so usually allow you to get out of the water. Then you hit a break in the sidewalk, like a driveway break for some business, or perhaps you have to cross the street to another corner and just can't avoid the shin high water in the streets. So some enterprising Filipino shows up with a wooden fruit crate or a length of board and starts collecting tolls for pedestrians to use his board to cross the water.Yes, that always amuses me too. Taft Avenue and Pedro Gil always flood during heavy rain so the plank men do a roaring trade at this busy intersection. For the same reason pedicabs always cluster here when it's pissing down and charge 50 pesos + for the 500 metre trip to Robinsons Mall. They probably earn more in a hour than they would make in a day in dryer weather. However it can be a scary ride as these nutters race each other against the traffic on one-way Pedro Gil.

Sammon
09-21-11, 12:52
To those guys who think this discussion has nothing to do with pussy, let me just say that it can help you understand why girls are sometimes seriously delayed. If you plan to meet a DIA girl, you need to be aware of what time of the day and the route she will follow in order to meet you. I am always very specific in telling her what time to leave home if she wants to be on time because I KNOW how long it will take her.Traffic is not really the reason for delay. It is just that the girls think you are not going anywhere, so why the hurry? One girl told me when asked why she was so late is " why, are you going somewhere?"

They do not think much about schedules and timing. The whole country is like that.

Red Kilt
09-21-11, 13:39
Traffic is not really the reason for delay. It is just that the girls think you are not going anywhere, so why the hurry? One girl told me when asked why she was so late is " why, are you going somewhere?"

They do not think much about schedules and timing. The whole country is like that.I have lived here long enough (14 years) to know this is just one of the lines they use Sam.

I said in my post that it is a reason why "some girls are seriously delayed" because they have no idea how long trips will take, especially if it is not a regular route for them. My post suggested that if you already accept and know that they will be late, then you take pro-active steps to try to minimise it upfront, which means telling them when to leave home.

We all know they will be late. I try to minimise how late they will be rather than complaining about it when it turns out that they live up to my expectations.

FreebieFan
09-22-11, 01:55
I have lived here long enough (14 years) to know this is just one of the lines they use Sam.

I said in my post that it is a reason why "some girls are seriously delayed" because they have no idea how long trips will take, especially if it is not a regular route for them. My post suggested that if you already accept and know that they will be late, then you take pro-active steps to try to minimise it upfront, which means telling them when to leave home.

We all know they will be late. I try to minimise how late they will be rather than complaining about it when it turns out that they live up to my expectations.Welcome back Sir!

From my recent trip, Number 1 was on time even though it took 20 minutes to find her in Festival Mall.

Number 2 was 30 minutes late but she came from Las Pinas. And I was sitting in Rogues so no big problem.

Number 3 was exactly in right time right place in Market2.

Number 4 was exactly right time and place elsewhere in BGC.

Number 5 was 10 minutes late.

Number 6 was 1 hour late but she's always one late so I planned my sched accordingly.

Number 7 was exactly right time right place in Market 2.

So I guess we all get a mixed bag of results. If its first time to meet I do tell them they have a 30 minute window otherwise I walk (which has resulted in some " please sir I will do anything to make it up to you " comments LOL ). If its a repeat girl, then I always give her leeway.

Marconista
09-22-11, 13:20
Just lifted this off "Tripadvisor"

A great map showing the traffic on th main roads in MM.

' Metro Manila Traffic Navigator '

Sep 20, 2011, 10:23 PM.

Traffic is one issue facing travellers while in Manila particularly along EDSA, Roxas Blvd. And the South Luzon Expressway (SLEX). The Metro Manila Development Authority had just posted a traffic map of Manila's major thoroughfares where you can view traffic updates and advisories. The updates are updated every few mintues. More major roads will be added in the future. An app is also available for download on iPhones and iPads. I've started using it on my iPad and it's pretty cool and useful.

www.mmdatraffic.interaksyon.com/system-view.php

WestCoast1
09-22-11, 14:46
One girl told me when asked why she was so late is " why, are you going somewhere?"I took the advice of another board member. Now before meeting, I tell them: "Please be prompt. In my culture, its rude to be late. If you are late, I will leave." A good response to the question above is: "Yes, I have arranged another date via txt while waiting for you. She's just walking up now. Take care."

Finrod
09-22-11, 16:59
Regarding Filipino time, the girls always underestimate how long it will take them to get through the Manila traffic. They just don't think about that at all. For them, it is what it is. One tactic I've used is to use the time waiting for my date is to go trolling for phone numbers, then showing them to my date to let her know,"see what happens when you are late?" If I don't feel like trolling, I will try to find a National Bookstore outlet or check out the department store girls. The point is to have something to do instead of just sitting around and stewing over her lateness.

Regarding the LRT and the MRT, I agree that they are not very good places to be during rush hour. Unless you get on at the first or second stop, you will find it takes 3 to 5 trains before you can get on. Even then, you have to shove your way on. In conditions like that, you absolutely have to watch out for pickpockets. My first time on board, I remember blocking someone's hands from my pockets. Since then, if I can't get a seat, I will transfer money clip and phone to one pocket, put my hand in that pocket and use other hand for balance. If you have a backpack, put it in front of you, same as you would if riding a jeepney. The poster who listed the good times to use these trains is spot-on.

Jambo
09-23-11, 01:23
they have no idea how long trips will take, especially if it is not a regular route for them.That makes a lot of sense RK. I imagine 99. 9% of their travel is walk to the road, and take a jeepney to town. Personally I would have no idea how to get across town using jeepneys alone.

Soapy Smith
10-29-11, 09:10
This is my effort to move the taxi discussion out of the Manila thread. Several people commented there, revealing some strong differences of opinion.

Cunning Stunt: ". . . About Manila taxis. Same as the stupid and pointless age v youth question, the subject gets done to death at least every other week. I guess that I was wasting my time in starting a thread on Manila transportation in order to keep the taxi bores off the main threads."

Agreed: taxi discussions belong on the 'getting around in Manila' thread which CS started. Much of the discussion is 'done to death, ' and some of this occurs because newbies haven't read all the background.

Freebie Fan: 'Yellow are coupon taxis going from point to point. They also carry insurance. White taxis, as you can quickly see from their condition do not carry insurance. '

Good information. Many have encountered yellow taxis at the airport, but these guys are also out around the metro area looking for other fares, especially those going back to the airport. I recently got into one by mistake on my way from near the US Embassy to the launch area for boat trips to Corregidor, which is near the Cultural Center. I was shaken back to consciousness when I saw the starting fare on the meter. Don't remember exactly, maybe 70 pesos. I raised a question about it and the driver reminded me he was a yellow airport taxi. I told him I wasn't willing to pay his meter fare. So he said he'd turn off the meter, and then we negotiated a reasonable fare – a little less than his meter would have rung up, but, in my experience, more than one of the old white metered cabs would have charged. Deal.

Red Kilt: 'when one's personal experience (mine) extends over 14 years of living and working CONTINUOUSLY in the Philippines and having NEVER seen a tampered meter I feel comfortable in asking the poster to confirm just how he reached his silly conclusion. '

I was not the poster, but here is an experience I had in December 2006. I took a taxi from near Ateneo University in Quezon City to the EDSA entertainment complex near the corner of Harrison and EDSA. Distance: approximately 14. 5 km. ; meter fare: 200 pesos. I gave a good tip. I had a couple drinks in one of the bars and left after two hours to meet my ball and chain at NAIA Terminal One. I took one of the old white metered taxis waiting outside. It had an orange (the color in use then) inspection sticker on the windshield, and there was a clip seal on the meter. The meter was on and showed the correct starting fare, probably 25 or 30 pesos at that time. The driver took the most direct route: EDSA to Roxas, to NAIA Road, to Nino Aquino Avenue, to the parking area in the middle of the NAIA Terminal One traffic oval. Distance: between 3 and 3. 5 kilometers; meter fare 180 pesos. When we turned off Roxas onto NAIA Road the meter was already at 100 pesos and I felt something was wrong. I don't remember whether I tipped the driver. Obviously I can't prove anybody tampered with the meter on the second cab, but it sure seemed like something was wrong. Also, that was five years ago. Is it possible the regulatory agency has gotten the offenders under control in the interim? Sure. It's also possible that the culture of taxi drivers and owners has turned over a new leaf, recognized the black eye that Philippine tourism got from the Rizal Park bus hostage situation and other events, and has undertaken a new self-regulatory initiative. Likely? C'mon, this is the Philippines.

'Tourist areas'? Maybe not, but I do think some tourists, especially those who take taxis away from the sex tourism areas of Ermita and the EDSA Entertainment Complex, get treated differently. The cab that took me from the EDSA Complex to the airport was sitting and waiting outside the complex door. Others report incidents with cabs they took from in front of MBC. Even a seasoned hand like CS has acknowledged he doesn't take cabs from in front of MBC.

Another experience that relates perhaps to the 'tourist' experience is from a post I made on the 5th of August:

' (My squeeze) and I spent a week in late June at a hotel near the corner of UN Ave. And del Pilar in Ermita. One day she took a cab from near the hotel up to the LRT station at UN and Taft. (Distance: about half a km) She called me from the LRT in a very angry mood. She'd just had a very ugly scene with the cab driver. She'd not noticed that he didn't turn the meter on, and when she got out at Taft Avenue he told her the fare was 200 pesos. Yes. 200 pesos from del Pilar to Taft on UN Avenue. He'd seen me and pointed out the price was different because he knew she had a foreign boyfriend. He had also seen me give her money before she got in the cab. '

I had another bad 'tourist' experience about a year ago when I took the white airport monopoly cab to Ermita with my squeeze. The fare was 530 pesos, which I knew before I got in the taxi. But the driver loudly called me 'kuripot' (cheap) because I gave him only a 70 peso tip. I'm sure he knew my squeeze would explain the meaning of kuripot to me, and I presume the comment was for the benefit of the hotel doorman, perhaps as a signal to influence how the hotel staff treated me. Most Filipinos would not have given a 70 peso tip, and I seriously doubt he would have made the same remark to a Filipino who'd given a tip of that size.

So how could well-intended people acquire such vastly different perceptions of the taxi scene? Several factors, I think. First, many newbies just don't have good information, and so a fare that seems out of the ordinary (like my yellow cab experience) may seem dishonest, when in fact it has a logical explanation. In a related way, newbies don't know to avoid some of the worst places to get cabs, such as outside the door of MBC. Second, newbies often don't know where they're going and don't know what it should cost, so when a non-meter situation occurs, they don't know how to negotiate a satisfactory solution.

Third, I think some of the experienced ex-pats under-estimate how much 'cultural capital' they have and what its rewards are. Cultural capital is more than just knowing where not to get cabs; it's something you give off when you get in a cab. You give the cab driver specific destinations that signal you know where you're going. You probably speak a little Tagalog, so the driver knows you're not a fresh sex tourist. You're getting in the cab at one business location or high-end hotel, and going to another business location. You are dressed in business clothes. All of these things are meaningful to the driver. And often your cabs are secured for you by a hotel doorman or, at some businesses, by an employee or security guard. These intermediaries tell the drivers not only where you want to go, they often also tell the driver who you are. What is passed on sometimes implies that you are important and you have connections. So in some cases these drivers are intimidated by you. One of the unfortunate aspects of Filipino class relations is that they're self-reinforcing. That is, those in lower stations in life accept their fate and are silently cowed by those who are from higher stations in life. Sex tourists do not give off those kinds of cultural capital signals. Even Harry Thomas could pick them out at the immigration counters at NAIA. If Harry Thomas can pick them out, so can Filipino cabbies.

I think I'm sort of in between the newbie sex tourist type and the ex-pat business man. I've been to the Phils nine times: once for five months, and all the rest for three weeks or less. My total time spent in the Phils is less than a year, but I know my way around Manila better than many natives. I speak only a smattering of Tagalog. I've gone to occasional formal events wearing dress barongs, but mostly I wear Hawaiian shirts, chino pants, and Dockers 'oil resistant' low luster shoes that don't get polished very often. I stay in three-star hotels – for a variety of reasons, and I sense that I get treated differently when I leave those hotels as compared to when I leave meetings at 5-star hotels or other professional settings in the metro area. So I know my way around, but I don't give off very much cultural capital, especially when my Filipina squeeze, 30 years younger than me, is with me. To the three bad experiences I described here, I could add a few more out of perhaps 50 taxi trips I've taken in the metro area. This means that 80 to 90% of my experiences have been good, and I conclude that most cab drivers are good guys, and a few even seem eager to chat with foreigners to give them a positive impression of the Philippines. Occasionally a driver will take what seems like a roundabout route, but I think it's usually to avoid areas that he knows will be congested at various times of the day. But the few bad experiences have also taught me to be on my toes. So I keep my Metro Manila Citiatlas out and, if my squeeze hasn't already struck up a conversation with 'kuya' driver, I intentionally remark about what streets we're on and suggest the names of streets he might plan to take. His call, of course, but I want him to know I know the city.

My point is that people on this forum have had different experiences, and their experiences might well lead to different conclusions about the state of taxi travel in metro Manila. But there is some general experience and information that can make newbies' experiences more pleasant.

First piece of advice: RTFF. As CS recommends, do a search with taxi as a search term. In particular, look for posts that describe the locations of some of the places where dishonest cabbies set up waiting for naïve sex tourists.

Second piece of advice: most cab drivers are good, average Filipinos. Most do not own their own cabs, and they are not getting rich as cabbies. They have to pay off their vehicle rent for the shift and pay for gas before any money for the shift goes in their pockets. Some days are better than others, for reasons, such as weather, traffic conditions, or holidays, that are outside the control of the driver. In some cases a hotel doorman will extort a small 'commission' from the driver to give you over as a customer. When they give you reasonable service, tip them.

Third piece of advice: keep in mind that these taxi prices are very low compared to taxis in the Western country you come from. One hundred pesos is only a little more than two US dollars. Don't create an international incident over the equivalent of a couple US dollars. I have personally erred on this point a time or two.

Fourth piece of advice: be aware that there are several distinct types of taxis, each with separate pricing structures:

At NAIA Terminal One, where most international flights come in, there are at least four types of taxis coming and going, and three of them can be accessed at the airport. As you exit the doors just outside the customs check point you encounter a covered three or four-lane roadway at about the same level as the customs counters. Look to your left just outside the doors and you will see the yellow airport cabs. Their prices are about in the middle range as cab fares go.

The cheapest cabs of all, metered cabs, are usually white, older Corollas or similar sized vehicles; they are actually one level up on the departure level. There is an elevator near the exit doors from the customs area that will take you up one level. Those cabs are not supposed to pick up passengers leaving the terminal, but few will turn you down if you get in and get going quickly. Airport officials frown on having you take the elevator up to get to those cabs. These are the same metered cabs that ply all of the streets of the metro area.

For those who are being met by a Filipina at the airport, you need to continue across the four-lane covered roadway. Then ramps lead left and right to another lower level and another three or four-lane covered roadway. Here the only option is for small van-like cabs with set rates for various destinations. These are higher priced than the yellow cabs. The fare to Ermita, for example, is 530 pesos. Quezon City probably is at least 1000 pesos. Obviously you need to come prepared with Philippine pesos or catch a money exchange at the airport before they close.

There is one other cheap Charlie option. If you proceed across this last, lower level roadway, you can go across on a walkway and press through the hordes waiting for arriving passengers. After you break through the crowd you can proceed ahead and to the right toward the Manila Airport Hotel. There is a lit up sign for KFC to help mark it. In getting there you will cross past a security shack and across a roadway crosswalk. The further lanes of this roadway will carry the taxis exiting the departures level, and these are the metered, cheaper old Corollas. After you get to the far side you can flag down these cabs.

There are at least two other types and rates of taxis around the metro area. There are taxis that have arrangements with some of the three- and four-star hotels to take passengers to the airport. They are sort of the reverse of the yellow and expensive white monopoly cabs from the airport. They will form a queue on the street near the door of the hotel, and the doormen will call them up to get you as you leave the hotel. They charge more than the cheap old Corollas and justify it because they claim they are not allowed to pick up passengers the other direction from the airport back to the hotel. If you want to avoid these taxis you need to walk away from the hotel door and seek out your own metered cab. But the contract cab drivers will have angry words with the metered cab driver who stops to pick you up.

Finally, there are FX taxis. These are essentially vans that run along set routes between major points such as shopping malls, major stores, and large business or commercial destinations. They do not leave until the van is full. At popular malls at busy times there are often lines of people waiting for the next FX Taxi. The prices are substantially lower than metered taxis but more expensive than jeepneys. They will drop you at any point along their route. Their gathering places at the malls, for example, have signs indicating their various destinations. They pack people into them with a shoehorn, similar to jeepneys, but they are enclosed and air conditioned.

Lots more details that could have been included, and maybe a few small inaccuracies in my post. So others in the know, please feel free to fill in details and corrections.

I will leave it to somebody else to report on jeepneys and buses.

Red Kilt
10-29-11, 14:43
. <SNIP

Also, that was five years ago. Is it possible the regulatory agency has gotten the offenders under control in the interim? Sure. It's also possible that the culture of taxi drivers and owners has turned over a new leaf, recognized the black eye that Philippine tourism got from the Rizal Park bus hostage situation and other events, and has undertaken a new self-regulatory initiative.Skip.

I didn't see the point of posting a story that is 5 years old, which happens to be in the midst of when everybody from the President down were getting in for their share.

Your story is outdated and irrelevant, and probably occurred then but this is about NOW.

Thankfully you then go on to suggest why these things are rare today.

It is because there are new people at the top of government in the Phils and things are changing. The boss of the LTRFB (the board that licenses cabs) is going hard after erring taxi drivers.

You said " it's also possible that the culture of taxi drivers and owners has turned over a new leaf, . And has undertaken a new self-regulatory initiative".

Exactly right, but not only self-regulatory. The LTRFB is cracking down too.

The head of the LTRFB even takes taxis himself and not so long ago he required a driver to go directly to his office after the cabbie (who did not know who his passenger was), did not follow the rules as expected and he had his license cancelled on the spot and his company was suspended for one week.

Let's talk about things as they are now.

I agree with you that NOWADAYS most taxi drivers are good honest guys (I would say 95%) with the rest trying to get more from passengers than the law allows, and they should not be used as examples to represent the majority.

Sammon
10-29-11, 16:20
After hearing many opinions on Manila Taxis, I am happy to say I have not been conned big by taxis. Ofcourse yellow taxis from the airport have different rates. But yellow taxis are reliable and least likely to take you on.

A roundabout ride. I have picked up taxis on the departure level also and some of them are decent and will turn on the meter. Some will try to negotiate flat rate. Generally you have no choice but to agree. Getting out is not an option.

Kudos to taxis in cebu. Very honest. Meter is automatically turned on and drivers even try to give you 3 pesos back. I have taken taxis many times as the hotel I stayed at was in Mandau city. None failed turn the meter on.

Upon exiting they are searching around for the change to give me back. I told them it is ok. Even then they are surprised.

Cunning Stunt
10-29-11, 17:50
I will leave it to somebody else to report on jeepneys and buses.Good effort Skip but I'll wager that someone will bring up the interminable taxi issue on the Manila thread in the next few days or weeks.

I have no problems with Manila taxis. I only ever get in newish cabs as I know that the newer the cab, the more likely it is that the meter is correctly calibrated or nearly so. Before I get in, I always make it clear that I will go on the meter only and any tip is up to me and I won't negotiate 50 or more on top of the meter, as they often request. I will tip this amount if the driver takes me the direct route (no tours) and his meter is working properly. Obviously, you only take a yellow airport cab at the airport, never when it is returning to the airport as the fare will be extortionate.

As my home is in South Manila, close to the bus route, I often take the bus if I am traveling to Intramuros, Ermita or Malate. Otherwise the bus routes are just too circuitous and time consuming. Jeepneys are good for short trips but are notorious magnets for muggers / bag snatchers and pick pockets (particularly in Emita and AC).

I use tricycles a lot because they are the quickest and easiest way of moving about the large subdivision whete I live. Unlike taxis (and tricycles in Angeles), the fare is cheap and pre-set, so there is no need to negotiate.

I only use my car these days for short trips to the mall, gym and suchlike. If I need to go further, I get driven. Driving myself in Manila is just too much of a pain in my lazy retired ass;).

Soapy Smith
10-29-11, 22:31
I agree with you that NOWADAYS most taxi drivers are good honest guys (I would say 95%) with the rest trying to get more from passengers than the law allows, and they should not be used as examples to represent the majority.I will be eager to see the prominent changes you describe.

Soapy Smith
10-30-11, 08:30
I use tricycles a lot because they are the quickest and easiest way of moving about the large subdivision whete I live. Unlike taxis (and tricycles in Angeles), the fare is cheap and pre-set, so there is no need to negotiate.This would be near you CS, so tell me what you think. In June my squeeze, her mother, and I rode the LRT down to the Baclaran station. We walked through the Terminal Shopping Center, then caught a pedicab from the west end of the shopping center over to the parking lot and frontage road along Roxas to catch a bus to Cavite. I would have walked it, but the mother has a bad hip. The pedicab guy told us 50 pesos when we got in at the shopping center. After the two blocks over to the frontage road he told us 50 pesos each. I wasn't too worried about it, but the women were upset. Did he rip us off?

Cunning Stunt
10-30-11, 10:29
Did he rip us off?Sure did! These pedicab thieves will try it on if they think that you don't know the fare. Remember that they are the bottom of the food chain, being the only human powered form of transport in The Philippines. For such a short trip, a local would not pay more than 30 pesos. The number of passengers is immaterial. So you had a 500% mark up on the correct fare.

BF homes is an enormous subdivision (the biggest in town) and I can go anywhere by tricycle for 40 pesos. The average fare is much less.

WestCoast1
10-30-11, 16:53
I will be eager to see the prominent changes you describe.I rarely have problems with taxis anymore. 95%+ run the meter right off the bat. The others will tell me up front what they expect, regardless of the meter. For instance, I came out of City Garden in Malate, wanting to go to Greenbelt in Makati. The day before, afternoon (busy, and same time of day) , the meter read p210 (usually 170-180 at night in lighter traffic). The driver looked at me and said 250 flat rate, or he would not go. I agreed. They never know if they will get a fair to come back, so they want a little extra. At that rate, its not a ripoff. However, if he had said 300 or 350 (ripoff) , I would have balked and offered 250-260. Anytime they say 'no', just get out and grab another.

Simian
10-31-11, 04:44
Here is a very trusted Manila taxi company you can phone and they will come to your home / office and pick you up. They can be a bit rude on the phone, sometimes throwing in some Pinoy English slang which is really annoying to the newcomer. Company name is MGE and the number is 02-3648260.

The trouble with this company is that you cannot book a cab. You have to call and wait. If any of you know of a company where you can book a cab, please share it.

Or if you know of a company that rents out car with driver by the half day or day, that would be great (but not the one that works out of the 5 star hotels that charges $300 plus plus per day!)

IslandMan27
10-31-11, 04:59
This is my effort to move the taxi discussion out of the Manila thread. Several people commented there, revealing some strong differences of opinion.

I will leave it to somebody else to report on jeepneys and buses.Skip Kost, thank you for that report! Lots of good info and thanks for breaking down the taxis by tiers. I didn't know about the differences in yellow and white taxis.

I agree with you that it is just a matter of personal experience. This is only my second time to the Philippines, and Manila, so this info and you views on this are appreciated.

Best

Red Kilt
10-31-11, 05:27
Here is a very trusted Manila taxi company you can phone and they will come to your home / office and pick you up. They can be a bit rude on the phone, sometimes throwing in some Pinoy English slang which is really annoying to the newcomer. Company name is MGE and the number is 02-3648260.

The trouble with this company is that you cannot book a cab. You have to call and wait. If any of you know of a company where you can book a cab, please share it.

Or if you know of a company that rents out car with driver by the half day or day, that would be great (but not the one that works out of the 5 star hotels that charges $300 plus plus per day!) Booking cabs in Manila is absolutely NOTHING like booking a cab in places like Australian capital cities.

MGE is a very reliable company though and I always try to catch one of their cabs. They have a very strict code of behavior for their drivers.

I have often booked a cab for full day trips to Tagaytay (not with MGE but at random), and to a few sites in Malate for a half day (Ocean Park, Intramuros, Manila Hotel etc). Just chat to a driver that impresses you and ask him for a quote. Many will jump at the chance to earn a straight cash payment for a day without having to prowl around looking for fares.

I have had 3 trips to Tagaytay with visitors in the past 4 months and each time it was 2500 php for the day and the driver paid for the gas and tolls. I paid for his lunch in Tagatay. I suggest you find any driver that you like and he can become your best friend and personal driver for a few days. If you know what is a fair price you can judge if they are overcharging you. Just enquire from a few cabs and see what they say. Each one quoted me between 2000 (I pay for gas and tolls) up to 3000 or 3500 (all in) so I knew that a quote of 2500 was reasonable. I also know that this is approximately the charge for a cab to go to AC so I knew it is not a rip-off.

Starchild2012
10-31-11, 14:02
The Flag Fall in Manila taxis is 40 Pesos for 500 Mtrs and every 300 mtr there off. Its 3. 50 pesos, the same for waiting time for a min. NOW, How to know, if you are getting ripped off. For that, I used Google maps for simple calculation.

Consider you are in Makati or at Airport or in mall of Asia or at Visa extension office in intramurous or at your GF home or one of girlie bars in Malate and your legs are too heavy to make any sense of meters in taxis.

If you look at the Map of Manila in Google Maps and use Distance Measurement Tool of the Map. You can pin point your location anywhere in Manila and make a circumference of the entire NCR region. Or better if you have Android powered smartphone, which will give you exact distance from the point of pick up to drop. And you can calculate the rough fare.

Now from maps we see that from Makati most of the Areas in Manila come around 6 KM range Mall of Asia, malate, ermita, Intramurous, ortigas, mandaluyong, Airport. If you are in Makati. And want to go to any of the popular venues your meter should be around 100 Pesos. Never more than 150 pesos even with highest traffic. Never in Hell more than 200 Pesos. Even when the whole planet earth crashes down in Manila. If he charges you above 200 Pesos from makati. Know that your taxi driver is satan himself.

Now from Makati say you want to go to outskirts of NCR region like Quezon city, Paranque City, Anti Polo, Marikina, calocan etc places. The distance from Makati should not be more than 14 KM thats being generous. So, your max meter would be 197 Pesos. Still less than 200 Pesos.

You can play around with the distance measuring tool and no matter where you are. 99% of the places in Manila are within 14KM range. The one we like are within 6 KM range.

Remember These two Numbers 100 PHP for short ride and 200 PHP for long ride. Remember the GOLDEN RULE. If your Meter goes beyond. 200 Pesos or 300 for long ride within Manila. Know its time to get out of the taxi ASAP. If you negotiate. Always below 150. I know too hard to remember all these numbers.

Just remember 200 PHP. I understand some members will say whats the big deal. Just pay up, they are poor etc etc and you are being too cheap charlie. Its just a info. Use it as you please.

Devils 1
10-31-11, 17:18
I have had 3 trips to Tagaytay with visitors in the past 4 months.Red,

Could you give us a report on what you do in Tagaytay? I keep hearing about this as a daytrip but never get any specifics on what is so fun there. (sorry I know this is the wrong thread)

Hellas
10-31-11, 20:08
Hello everyone!

How long does it take by taxi from Manila bay Cafe to Havana cafe?

How much does it cost?

Thanks

WestCoast1
11-01-11, 02:17
Hello, everyone!

How long does it take by taxi from Manila bay Cafe to Havana cafe?

How much does it cost?

Thanks45-60 minutes daytime, p210-230. Evening 25-30 minutes, p160-180. Close gents?

Andre007
11-01-11, 02:25
I rarely have problems with taxis anymore. 95%+ run the meter right off the bat. The others will tell me up front what they expect, regardless of the meter. For instance, I came out of City Garden in Malate, wanting to go to Greenbelt in Makati. The day before, afternoon (busy, and same time of day) , the meter read p210 (usually 170-180 at night in lighter traffic). The driver looked at me and said 250 flat rate, or he would not go. I agreed. They never know if they will get a fair to come back, so they want a little extra. At that rate, its not a ripoff. However, if he had said 300 or 350 (ripoff) , I would have balked and offered 250-260. Anytime they say 'no', just get out and grab another.I won't agree because anything over the meter is a rip-off and they are having a double rip-off because they are charging rates of what is negotiated by their government and also they are not paying the required taxes.

I don't mind somebody trying to make money. I just hate to here all of the excuses they come up with and my friends they have ripped off consistently.

Some of us come here and are happy to pay the inflated rate because it is below their home country and they have a pocket full of money to waste or spend. That's cool and that do not bother me but when I come to the Philippines because of a low cost of living and then Taxis and others make me pay more then my cost of living goes higher.

I am not rich but when I was I still watched my money because it is mine. I tip well but tipping is not mandatory.

Just a little side note do you know they passed the law early this year that all taxi must give receipts, have uniforms have correct change and also they can't refuse to take a passenger to a destination.

In saying that I have complained to LTO many times when problems happen and I had about 5 taxi drivers lose their job and had 2 drivers return my fare from a bad meter or mostly over or under inflated tires which cause the fare to increase.

I do not have problems with about 90% of all drivers but I am trying to be a part of the solution not the problem.

Starchild2012
11-01-11, 08:28
I won't agree because anything over the meter is a rip-off and they are having a double rip-off because they are charging rates of what is negotiated by their government and also they are not paying the required taxes.

I don't mind somebody trying to make money. I just hate to here all of the excuses they come up with and my friends they have ripped off consistently.

Some of us come here and are happy to pay the inflated rate because it is below their home country and they have a pocket full of money to waste or spend. That's cool and that do not bother me but when I come to the Philippines because of a low cost of living and then Taxis and others make me pay more then my cost of living goes higher.

I am not rich but when I was I still watched my money because it is mine. I tip well but tipping is not mandatory.

Just a little side note do you know they passed the law early this year that all taxi must give receipts, have uniforms have correct change and also they can't refuse to take a passenger to a destination.

In saying that I have complained to LTO many times when problems happen and I had about 5 taxi drivers lose their job and had 2 drivers return my fare from a bad meter or mostly over or under inflated tires which cause the fare to increase.

I do not have problems with about 90% of all drivers but I am trying to be a part of the solution not the problem.Very well said. Totally agree. Sometimes, taxi guys will go as far as to threaten you, if you start arguing about the meter hike. And it usually, happens when your are with your girl or wife etc etc. 'because they know. Filipinas try to avoid conflict and they make you pay somehow emotionally not to loose face etc, besides when we are with someone. We usually are going to some good place to hang out and don't want this drama to ruin our night.

Not only Tourist, even locals filipinos had bad run in with these thugs. Check out wheninmanila. Com and you can read blogs about how local filipinos are getting ripped off by taxis. So the problem is widespread. It has become like Pattaya Jet Ski scam of sorts.

Marconista
11-03-11, 01:58
I checked on the link originally attached and it included the www.

It is not working correct.

The right one is: http://mmdatraffic.interaksyon.com/system-view.php

- and if you click on google maps, you can easy see where the main road in Metro Manila are located.
Smart tool.

Just lifted this off "Tripadvisor"

A great map showing the traffic on th main roads in MM.

Red Kilt
11-03-11, 10:57
. .

Now from maps we see that from Makati most of the Areas in Manila come around 6 KM range Mall of Asia, malate, ermita, Intramurous, ortigas, mandaluyong, Airport. If you are in Makati. And want to go to any of the popular venues your meter should be around 100 Pesos. Never more than 150 pesos even with highest traffic. Never in Hell more than 200 Pesos. Even when the whole planet earth crashes down in Manila. If he charges you above 200 Pesos from makati. Know that your taxi driver is satan himself.

. .

Remember These two Numbers 100 PHP for short ride and 200 PHP for long ride. Remember the GOLDEN RULE. If your Meter goes beyond. 200 Pesos or 300 for long ride within Manila. Know its time to get out of the taxi ASAP. If you negotiate. Always below 150. I know too hard to remember all these numbers.

Just remember 200 PHP. I understand some members will say whats the big deal. Just pay up, they are poor etc etc and you are being too cheap charlie. Its just a info. Use it as you please.Unfortunately, Starchild, you never factored in a time variable that is also registered on the meter.

If you are stuck in peak traffic for say 10 minutes up to 30 minutes more than the usual time for a trip, the fare will be much higher than if it is a straight run.

Even though you go to great lengths in your analysis, it is too simplistic.

I live near Megamall. I usually walk there but when I want to take a cab in the middle of the day (too hot or I am running late) when traffic is light it will be somewhere near 45 pesos and always less than 50 php for a straight run through all lights etc. When there is a lot of traffic the fare can be as high as 60 pesos. You can see the meter turn over when the traffic is NOT MOVING.

So you need to factor in a bit of wriggle room. It is the argument used by the LTRFB to justify why cab drivers should not ask for more fare when traffic is heavy since the slower trip is factored into the meter calibration.

In general your "rules" are a sensible indicator but you need to be aware that this assumes a straight run with no stoppages door to door. One of my condo neighbours owns a fleet of 30 cabs and he told me that any owner who tries to tamper with the meter is asking to lose his / her licence as they are regularly checked by LTRFB for evidence of tampering. For his drivers it means instant dismissal. The penalties are severe.

WestCoast1
11-03-11, 14:50
I won't agree because anything over the meter is a rip-off and they are having a double rip-off because they are charging rates of what is negotiated by their government and also they are not paying the required taxes.In the academic, that works for me. But you are not factoring in the driver's added cost of returning the vehicle from a long run (similar to Starchild's too-simple "straight-line" analysis). Most drivers won't agree to a long daytime (heavy traffic) run for the meter price, unless:

1. He is fairly sure of a return fare, or.

2. He is sure you will pay a bit over the meter (p50-ish).

While the meter amount on a long run covers his expenses and profit for the run he's taking you on, it does not cover his return. Many drivers will insist (legitimately) on over-meter rate prior to leaving. If you think he's only charging you more to rip you off, consider this: that scammer doesn't want to lose a fare, and would rather drive (work & make pesos) than sit idle making nothing (he's renting the taxi by the day or hour).

Starchild2012
11-04-11, 11:13
Unfortunately, Starchild, you never factored in a time variable That is also registered on the meter.

If you are stuck in peak traffic for say 10 minutes up to 30 minutes more than the usual time for a trip, the fare will be much higher than if it is a straight run.

Even though you go to great lengths in your analysis, it is too simplistic.

I live near Megamall. I usually walk there but when I want to take a cab in the middle of the day (too hot or I am running late) when traffic is light it will be somewhere near 45 pesos and always less than 50 php for a straight run through all lights etc. When there is a lot of traffic the fare can be as high as 60 pesos. You can see the meter turn over when the traffic is NOT MOVING.

So you need to factor in a bit of wriggle room. It is the argument used by the LTRFB to justify why cab drivers should not ask for more fare when traffic is heavy since the slower trip is factored into the meter calibration.

In general your "rules" are a sensible indicator but you need to be aware that this assumes a straight run with no stoppages door to door. One of my condo neighbours owns a fleet of 30 cabs and he told me that any owner who tries to tamper with the meter is asking to lose his / her licence as they are regularly checked by LTRFB for evidence of tampering. For his drivers it means instant dismissal. The penalties are severe.I agree. The time lost in traffic is a factor. I was giving a rough estimate on what to expect as we are mostly night owls partying late at night and generally step out by 2 Am or so. This is the period, when we are drunk and we get lost on numbers. And most vulnerable to rip offs as happened to me personally many times. So if a crazy number like 400 or 500 pesos comes up. Time to be cautious.

Simian
11-04-11, 18:48
I agree. The time lost in traffic is a factor. I was giving a rough estimate on what to expect as we are mostly night owls partying late at night and generally step out by 2 Am or so. This is the period, when we are drunk and we get lost on numbers. And most vulnerable to rip offs as happened to me personally many times. So if a crazy number like 400 or 500 pesos comes up. Time to be cautious.f you watch the honest taxis (and you have to wait a while to find one of those) , you will notice that there are two variables used in the calculation of your fare. THis is the time used up and the distance travelled. The system is that when the vehicle stops moving, the time element begins. But when the vehicle starts to move again, the distance begins again. Makes it confusing but when you watch it it makes sense.

My problem with cabs is that you never know whether the back seat is going to have collapsed under one of the previous passengers and you are going to have a pain in your back by the time you arrive!

Soapy Smith
01-16-12, 19:58
There has been some discussion in the Manila thread about plans to build a spur from the LRT terminal at Baclaran to NAIA. The official LRT website does describe this as one of four or five potential new lines and extensions to the existing lines. For several reasons I think we should not get our hopes up about using this to eliminate the tortuous taxi ride to the airport.

First, locals advise me that the rules preclude carrying luggage-other than small bookbag / backpacks-on board the existing LRT lines. I once saw a man board with a rooster in a cage, but that was only for about two stops in light traffic at night near the Monumento (at that time) end of line 1. Even if an exception is made for the spur line, there's still the problem of getting luggage from your hotel in Manila or Makati to the Baclaran terminal.

And even if the luggage rules were changed, the human traffic on both LRT 1 and MRT is so heavy that you'd never want to carry more than a single piece of luggage onboard anyway. Even with just a small backpack I hold my pack with arms crossed around it on my chest to prevent theft from slashers, and I often need to hold it overhead in order to fight my way off through the passengers packed like sardines near the doors. Taking airline luggage on the LRT is just not fathomable under current conditions, and since the capacity of the system is bulging at the seams, there's no way to expand to make room for luggage. Even the female and seniors only cars at the front of the train are full most times of the day.

And plans to extend the system to Fairview (and eventually Bulacan, Antipolo, and Cavite) will only add to the pressure on the existing lines (LRT 1 and 2 and MRT) that form the current system, because they will move people now using buses into the light rail system. Because the system is bulging at the seams it seems incapable in its current form of accommodating the public transportation needs of Metro Manila. They can't just add more trains because, at least on Line 1 and the MRT, the existing trains often get stopped between stations because the trains ahead of them are still picking up passengers at stations ahead. So the only remedy would be to add additional rails, which can't be done without major expense and further property acquisition to build new supporting structures underneath. So that's the bad news: the system is running well over designed capacity and has no practical way to expand.

The good news is that further pressure from incoming traffic from Bulacan, Fairview, Rizal Province and Cavite is not going to happen any time soon because they're well behind schedule on these extensions anyway. The LRT line 1 extension to the SM North area has been stalled for at least a year. The last leg from Roosevelt station to North Avenue was scheduled for completion in the summer of 2011, and now has been delayed perhaps indefinitely. I read somewhere that the SM Corporation had put up the money for a new station attached to their SM North EDSA mall and connecting Line 1, the MRT, and eventually the new line out to Fairview and Bulacan. But when I was there in November there was no sign of construction even having begun. Perhaps it has begun in the meantime. I travel to that area from Monumento area and downtown Manila frequently and would welcome news to the contrary. My point is that even with wealthy private sector players in the game, progress is still just an imaginary friend. I think the Cavite line-and maybe the NAIA spur-are planned as public-private partnerships, but I'm skeptical that the these lines are going to be built on a schedule any different than the SM North Station and completion of the Line 1 connection to join the MRT.

IM Punter
01-30-12, 02:00
For what its worth, in the short time I have been in Manila, I have taken several taxi rides. At first, I was somewhat worried, I would be overcharged, or worse, robbed, but I have to say that never did any taxi driver ask for more than the meter. A couple of taxis I rode in were old and beaten up (its hard to see their condition at night until they get close) but never felt any less than professional service. Granted, I never rode a taxi late at night, nor did I attempt to go to some place off the beaten path.

I am totally amazed at the low prices of the taxi fares. For example from Mall of Asia to Makati, it was only 180p, just a little more than $4. 00. I cannot see how taxi drivers here can make money.

Great Muta
03-20-12, 02:03
Does anyone have any advice on hiring a driver? I wouldn't mind paying the extra cash.

Red Kilt
03-20-12, 09:27
Does anyone have any advice on hiring a driver? I wouldn't mind paying the extra cash.PM me. I assume you mean Manila.

I have a cab driver contact who can be hired by the hour, day or trip.

Honest and will not rip you off.

Reliable and a nice guy. A couple of other members here have used him too.

Patrick Smith
09-02-12, 07:26
Hi,

Would appreciate your advice for a reliable driver in Makati that can show me around and help me navigate the night life scene.

Thanks

Red Kilt
09-03-12, 04:23
Hi,

Would appreciate your advice for a reliable driver in Makati that can show me around and help me navigate the night life scene.

ThanksPM me.

If you haven't paid your $19. 95 then I cannot help you. I am not putting his number on the open forum

Tiger 888
09-03-12, 04:40
For what its worth, in the short time I have been in Manila, I have taken several taxi rides. At first, I was somewhat worried, I would be overcharged, or worse, robbed, but I have to say that never did any taxi driver ask for more than the meter. A couple of taxis I rode in were old and beaten up (its hard to see their condition at night until they get close) but never felt any less than professional service. Granted, I never rode a taxi late at night, nor did I attempt to go to some place off the beaten path.

I am totally amazed at the low prices of the taxi fares. For example from Mall of Asia to Makati, it was only 180p, just a little more than $4. 00. I cannot see how taxi drivers here can make money.I have heard fro a friend frequently travelling to Manila for business, that the attitude of the taxi drivers towards using the meter has changed a lot for the better (probably some law enforcement has helped there?).

YG365
10-01-12, 06:14
I have heard fro a friend frequently travelling to Manila for business, that the attitude of the taxi drivers towards using the meter has changed a lot for the better (probably some law enforcement has helped there?).I've mostly had positive reviews with all the different taxi drivers in Manila. I'm not sure if it's just me but I tip almost every driver as well which is usually equivalent to what the bad drivers try to rip me off by. So no biggie! Why stress when you're on vacation!

WestCoast1
10-01-12, 14:02
I've mostly had positive reviews with all the different taxi drivers in Manila. I'm not sure if it's just me but I tip almost every driver as well which is usually equivalent to what the bad drivers try to rip me off by. So no biggie! Why stress when you're on vacation!I hit 5 cities on my last trip, including Manila / Cebu / provinces. I jumped into a taxi maybe 60+ times. Had only one try to not run the meter.

Starchild2012
10-02-12, 13:19
I've mostly had positive reviews with all the different taxi drivers in Manila. I'm not sure if it's just me but I tip almost every driver as well which is usually equivalent to what the bad drivers try to rip me off by. So no biggie! Why stress when you're on vacation!Beginners luck. Try to stay for over a month and get a date from QC and try to come over to Makati or some route in random times. Its not only with tourists but even locals are fed up of cheating.

Just read these reports from locals themselves,

http://www.taxikick.com/reports

A Warning to All Who Ride Cabs in Manila Philippines.

http://www.wheninmanila.com/a-warning-to-all-who-ride-cabs-in-manila-philippines/

Reporting bad cab drivers? There's an app for that.

http://www.rappler.com/life-and-style/661-reporting-bad-cab-drivers-there-s-an-app-for-that

GoodEnough
10-02-12, 14:05
I've lived here for more than 9 years, been in Manila 2-3 times a month during that time and can count on one hand the number of times taxi drivers have tried to rip me off. I course I've only been here 9 years, so it could be beginner's luck I suppose.

GE

Red Kilt
10-02-12, 14:28
Beginners luck. Try to stay for over a month and get a date from QC and try to come over to Makati or some route in random times. Its not only with tourists but even locals are fed up of cheating.You're no longer a credible source of opinion SC as you are obviously very pissed off with everything associated with the Philippines.

WC, YG365 and GE are correct.

From my personal experience, I have not had ONE instance of a taxi driver who did not switch on his meter for the past 4 to 5 years, and I have been living here for almost 16 years now. It was the wild west for sure until the LTRFB cleaned up the industry around 6 years ago.

Instances of cheats and / or scammers are, I believe, limited to the sleazier touristy spots in Malate and Ermita which I rarely visit any more. If I do go there, I take cabs from the line in Robinsons or SM Manila and there is never a quibble there either.

Mc Don
10-02-12, 15:11
You're no longer a credible source of opinion SC as you are obviously very pissed off with everything associated with the Philippines.

WC, YG365 and GE are correct.

From my personal experience, I have not had ONE instance of a taxi driver who did not switch on his meter for the past 4 to 5 years, and I have been living here for almost 16 years now. It was the wild west for sure until the LTRFB cleaned up the industry around 6 years ago.

Instances of cheats and / or scammers are, I believe, limited to the sleazier touristy spots in Malate and Ermita which I rarely visit any more. If I do go there, I take cabs from the line in Robinsons or SM Manila and there is never a quibble there either.Yep, I can say the same thing. Only time I get scam taxi drivers are in front of MBC or EDSA. In both instances I take a taxi away from front of the venue and just ask for the meter to be on. Never had a problem even at 3-4am.

Wicked Roger
10-02-12, 20:17
I've lived here for more than 9 years, been in Manila 2-3 times a month during that time and can count on one hand the number of times taxi drivers have tried to rip me off. I course I've only been here 9 years, so it could be beginner's luck I suppose.

GEI tend to agree with GE and the others about taxi drivers. In Manila it is rare now to have a driver refuse to turn on the meter. The last one whi tried it with me I asked him to stop the car, I got out and found another. Then mentioned it to the hotel who promptly called the firm

In Cebu I have never experienced this but as another poster said, gentle reminders about the law seems to have helped maybe

WestCoast1
10-03-12, 01:34
Beginners luck. Try to stay for over a month and get a date from QC and try to come over to Makati or some route in random times. Its not only with tourists but even locals are fed up of cheating.SC: Those stories are possibly true, but they are not my experience. I recently stayed over a month in-country in Manila, Cebu, and 3 provincial cities. I had only one driver pull a bad stunt (in Manila, which was easily rectified). Its better the past few years; on most of my visits I either have none or one driver try and not run the meter.

In one of the provincial cities, there are no taxis prowling the streets (you have to call for one. Or have your hotel call one. On the phone). There are only trykes there. They are required to charge only p8 per person if they accept you as a fare. They can decline to pick you up if they want (usually because where you are asking them to go is too far for p8) , and they usually like to get several passengers inside the vehicle (it holds 4-6). P8 is pretty friggin' cheap to get across town. There were several times a driver would turn me down and drive on, as I was the only one who wanted to go a long distance. I would overcome this by offering p20 or 30, then insisting the driver not stop to pick up other passengers on the way. This made everyone very happy.

Any way you look at it, nobody was trying to rip anyone off except the one taxi driver in Manila.

Starchild2012
10-03-12, 03:25
You're no longer a credible source of opinion SC as you are obviously very pissed off with everything associated with the Philippines.Would you be kind enough to provide me with a certificate of non credibility with a stamp of Pissed off in Philippines which I can carry around. hahahaha. You are making this harder for everyone and if a tourist get ripped off, i suppose you will take responsibility for it as well? If don't... do not blindly say, just because you didn't have any problems, they would not as well?

================

Read this from another forum of how frustated tourists are with taxi drivers taxi drivers in Manila.

Manila taxi drivers are the worst I have ever seen. They are incompetent, gouging, sometimes rude and sometimes assaultive.

I base this upon the following experiences:

More than half of the time the driver did not know how to get to where I wanted to go. I had to literally steer him. Sometimes, when questioned, the driver would claim that he knew where the destination was, but was having to make evasive moves in order to avoid heavy traffic.

Most of the time the driver refused to use the meter, and would quote me a flat rate that was three or more times the real rate. They often would not budge from that rate. Or, they would budge very little.

One morning I went with my wife and her cousin, both Filipinas, for a very short ride that could not have cost more than 50 or 60 pesos (40 pesos flag down). The driver refused to use the meter, and demanded 200 pesos. The cousin, who is a long-time Manila resident, negotiated with him. He became verbally abusive. I was in the front seat, and wanted to punch him in the face. He did take us to our destination, and we paid him 70 pesos. He got a tip, believe it or not.

The cousin, having lived in Manila for years, has extensive experience with the cabbies. She has never had one refuse to use the meter or try to gouge her. Bear this in mind as you read the following tale:

The cousin was to meet us at our hotel on her off day, Saturday, at 10:30 AM. We were all going for a tour of Intramuros. She is a highly reliable young woman and, when 11:30 arrived and she had not arrived or contacted us, we became alarmed. We began making moves to contact her family. At 12 noon, she arrived. She said that she had problems with the cabbie, who, after "requesting" an excessive tip, detoured from her destination (our hotel) and began making unannounced stops and talking to other men on the street. Eventually, she became alarmed, and tried to exit the cab. The door would not open. Now, she was scared. She managed to exit from the other door, and fled.

We talked about this, and she said she believes she had this problem because of the address of her destination, which was a high-end hotel frequented by foreigners. What most Filipinos would call "rich people".

====================

Yes Manila cabbies are some of the worst gougers I've met anywhere in the world. Not just cabbies, ST hotels such as Victoria, Sogo will often have dual pricing for tourists. Some may argue its only few dollars and the rates they are quoting are in-line with some of developed countries in the world, but this line of argument is very weak at best. People visit PI for value, because they can leverage their currency. If we wanted to pay similar prices, we might as well stay home or go to Hawaii or Bahamas. It's the principle of it. I refuse to bend over. The city has set the going rate for the taxi in their country, they are literally breaking the law by trying to gouge you. If you feel sorry for them, how about the homeless kids with NO money? I'd rather give them the extra pesos then to pretend these cabbies deserve it because they make 'so little'. Cry me a river. So little compare to whom? Average salary of typical pinoy is 200-300 php for honest day of work. Yet these taxi / hotel gougers want to make that from you in a heart-beat.

====================

Since I have been visiting manila, I have had these experiences as well, the taxi drivers are like sharks, they usually quote you a flat rate fee, and make excuses like : there is traffic etc, I usually ask if they are using the meter if they disagree, I usually tell them to go and wait for another.

===================

The main reason I stopped going to Manila is transport hassle. I have been forced into Manila for business many times, but just hire a car for the entire day direct from the hotel. Hate the insane price but there is nothing worse than the taxis in Manila.

====================

My wife has always been with me while in Manila, and she knows the score on corrupt cab drivers. She is from Mindanao but lived in Manila for 3 years. On a recent trip back we were so exhausted from the flight we stepped into a white taxi cab without first checking to see if he had a taxi sign on the roof (stupid move on our part). As we get in he ask my wife if she is tagalog and she tells him no I am Bisaya. He smiles and says me too.

As we head out of the airport my wife notices he has no meter. She then tells him our destination and ask his fee. He hands her a list and for where we are going, and his price says 750 pesos! My wife says in Bisaya to him."So you are one who tries to take advantage of white foreigners? Seems you made a mistake because I am his asawa and not just a GF who would allow him to be taken advantage of." He keeps arguing this is his rate. She tells him to pull over to the nearest Pulis Station and if he does not she will commence to punching him in the face if he does not. LOL. He says okay. Okay. What kind of filipina are you? I am only trying to make a living. She then tells him I am Bisaya like you and you will try to cheat me and my asawa? Do you think because we are both Bisaya I will go along with your scam? He then says okay I will take you to your destination for 250 pesos. She replies. NO. You will get get 100 which is more than fair or you can pull over to that Pulis Station on the corner ahead. He unwillingly agrees and so we drive off to our hotel. The porter who is familiar with us as we have stayed there many times welcomes us and begins to get our luggage out. The taxi driver hops out and goes over to my wife with his hand out for payment. She gives him 40 pesos and walks away. He goes after her and the porter steps in is way to stop him and sternly tells him to get back in his cab before he is hurt. LOL. My wife laughs and says. You are lucky it was not 20 pesos I gave you!

When we get in our room I ask her why she did not speak in english with him so I could know exactly what was going on. She told me don't worry. I will never let anyone scam you or take advantage of you. I said yes I know but if I had known I could have made sure myself he understood it was 100 pesos or I would kick his ass myself. She laughed and said I know, but I was in a mood to fight after I knew he was Bisaya like me and still was trying to cheat you. LOL. I rewarded her with a good puki licking and fuck for being so protective over me. LOL.

===================

Last two times I returned to Manila (May and July) the cabs from the airport tried to scam me. Both of them were from the metered taxi line.

First taxi: older guy (40's). Turned on the meter and I noticed the meter clicking away at a fast pace. I was heading to the Gil Puyat bus station which should have cost only 100pesos. I asked him about his meter and he tried to act like it was working correctly. I called the GF and asked her the number to the LTFRB. He heard this and suddenly he wants to know how much I give him to drop me off at Gil Puyat. I told him 100peso. He thens tries to drop me off at EDSA. Near the market (somewhat dangerous place). I told him nope thats not the place and he suddenly remembers it is on Taft Avenue. So be careful. If you catch them they may think you don't know manila (which you may not) and drop you off at an undesirable place.

Second Taxi. Young kid. Never turned on the meter. He demanded to know how much I pay him and I told him 100 pesos to Ermita (about 100 pesos to little) he decides to drop me off at the first gas station outside the terminal (no charge) and I catch a white taxi. Meter.

==================

Would love to know your opinion about the above posts or please Google Philippines addicts and read 100 other similar posts. Not many are as lucky as you live for ever in the PH and know in and out of Manila. Newbies could get scammed and its better to be careful than sorry.

Starchild2012
10-03-12, 03:44
SC: Those stories are possibly true, but they are not my experience. I recently stayed over a month in-country in Manila, Cebu, and 3 provincial cities. I had only one driver pull a bad stunt (in Manila, which was easily rectified). Its better the past few years; on most of my visits I either have none or one driver try and not run the meter.

In one of the provincial cities, there are no taxis prowling the streets (you have to call for one. Or have your hotel call one. On the phone). There are only trykes there. They are required to charge only p8 per person if they accept you as a fare. They can decline to pick you up if they want (usually because where you are asking them to go is too far for p8) , and they usually like to get several passengers inside the vehicle (it holds 4-6). P8 is pretty friggin' cheap to get across town. There were several times a driver would turn me down and drive on, as I was the only one who wanted to go a long distance. I would overcome this by offering p20 or 30, then insisting the driver not stop to pick up other passengers on the way. This made everyone very happy.

Any way you look at it, nobody was trying to rip anyone off except the one taxi driver in Manila.There is another forum you would know called Philippines addicts, I request you to please Google it and read the frustration of tourists getting scammed by Manila Taxi drivers by 100's. Why would I make something up? When its all over the forum but seems to miss the boat on ISG for some strange reason. That forum has over 100s of complaints against scamming taxi drivers.

I too have met some good cab drivers in Manila, however, that does not give me an authority to write in Public forum that its safe to hire taxi's in Manila. You got to warn the tourists to atleast check if the driver has put on meter, asking flat rate, refusing pick up, asking 750 pesos from airport to Makati.

It seems it has become a crime to even say to be cautious with Manila taxi drivers here, seems like all Buddhists saints are running taxis in Manila.

Starchild2012
10-03-12, 03:58
Unless people have some business interest in Manila Cabs or some unknown reasons. Don't know what these complaints are all about coming from local filipinos themselves.

http://www.taxikick.com/reports

Phone number of taxi: 628-33793 The taxi driver exceeds the regular taxi meter fare that I'm normally charged from Eastwood to Sangandaan, Caloocan City. Please help us report this taxi. He charged me more than P250.

=====================

BoardedatManilaat2am, told the taxi that we were going to NAIA terminal 3 before I closed the door. It was only after 5 minutes when he said he was charging PHP500. We asked the driver to stop, he didn't. It was raining and we were both females taxi driver took advantage of those facts. He finally relented on PHP300. Please do something about this taxi, he takes advantage of women and the weather.

=====================

White Taxi asking for a fix rate of P1860 from Naia 3 to Cubao aside from toll fee. He selects passengers. He closed his trunk while I was getting my baggage. Nauntog ako. He remotely closed the trunk and went away without getting off it. He dropped me off at Magallanes although I was bound to Cubao.

===================

I don't mind him cursing all other drivers on the street as if he is the only one who knows how to drive but aside from smelly interiors, his behavior also stinks. He complained that I paid the EXACT amount when I ask him to drop me to close to my house. He shouted at me saying "Masama ang ginagawa mo, dapat naglakad ka na lang!" and even blew a loud horn as I left.

==================

We ride this taxi from MOA to Ocean Park then when we saw the meter when we got at the Ocean Park it was 140php. It was way beyond what we expected to pay. There was no traffic at all. Dumaan pa siya at Macapagal Highway, he took the shorter way going to Manila Ocean Park. When we're at the CCP already our taxi rate was already 80+php. Nagulat ako kasi super sandali pa lang kami bumabyahe and ang lapit lang ng MOA sa CCP if you take the Macapagal route.

==================

Charged me for Php 1, 250. 00! My usual NAIA3 to Mandaluyong City charge runs only up to Php 300. 00 maximum. Do something about this LTFRB! HATTS TAXI HOTEL AIRPORT TRANSPORTS SERVICES 403 KAPIHAN BRGY PIDERA, PARANAQUE CITY.

=================

This taxi driver verbally harassed us. Blaming us his incompetence of judgement skills. He was blaming us that he didn't have enough gas to take his taxi to the gasoline station. This driver was really very rude. He even slammed his hands while driving. I hope this driver would be reprimanded according to his actions.

====================

Just from couple of days.

Jp Slicky
10-03-12, 04:35
Plane late in from Cebu (PAL, Plane Always Late)

I have to catch a Japan Air flight

Half worthless shuttle between terminals, because none leaving for a while (shitty buses and very few of them and this is an international terminal?)

Walk over to Yellow taxi stand wait my turn

I tell him the International terminal please (My stoopid I for get to tell him meter)

He may of sensed I was in a hurry or what ever and charges me 200P for a 5-6 min ride.

I had no time to aurgue with him but as I was walking away, I called him every 4 word word I know.

Then earlier that same day

Have Circle Summit call a cab for me.

Again I forgot (me stoopid)

He said as we were driving down the ramp that it will be 350P to the Airport.

This added on the the terrible trip I had to Cebu in May / June 2012

Red Kilt
10-03-12, 07:59
. .

Walk over to Yellow taxi stand wait my turn

I tell him the International terminal please (My stoopid I for get to tell him meter)

He may of sensed I was in a hurry or what ever and charges me 200P for a 5-6 min ride.

I had no time to aurgue with him but as I was walking away, I called him every 4 word word I know.

Then earlier that same day

Have Circle Summit call a cab for me.

Again I forgot (me stoopid)

He said as we were driving down the ramp that it will be 350P to the Airport.The flagfall for the Yellow Cab is 70 php and it goes up by 4. 5 pesos every 70 meters.

From Terminal 3 to Terminal 1 would be well over 100 php anyway (probably around 140php).

For you to get upset and start swearing over probably 50 or 60 php (just over a dollar) seems like a sad waste of energy for me, especially since he may well have been waiting in line for 3 or 4 hours for a passenger anyway. It is called "convenience", and he provided you with a service because you were in a hurry. He actually saved you from missing your international flight.

Same with getting the Cebu hotel to call a cab. There is a call out fee too so he would have added that on.

I guess the bottom line is your continuous reference to "Me Stoopid", and then you start blaming taxi drivers who picked you as being "stoopid".

Incidentally, cab drivers in the Philippines are way underpaid and most of them would be lucky to make 200 php per DAY after they pay for their gasoline and their daily rental (called boundary) of between 1200 and 1600 php to the cab owner.
I reckon they are amongst the hardest working service providers in the Philippines for the least return, and when you encounter really nice, polite, family-oriented cabbies busting their gut to make a living then I think getting agitated over 50 or 100 php is way off the mark. It comes into perspective when you realise that you have been paying hookers and bars 2 or 3000 php or even more per night for pretty easy work.

Jp Slicky
10-03-12, 11:40
With all due respect and with the knowledge that you reside in Phils (I think I read that somewhere before)

My posting was a line of postings in regards to those poor taxi drivers.

Therefore for what it is worth I had something to share in regards to taxi drivers and I shared it. Is it not the purpose of this board? Perhaps my bad experience / mistakes here may help someone else down the road? Ya ever think?

Also calling my self "Stoopid" was my attempt to take responsibility for my own mistakes. Got It? Which is something a lot of people in this world do not do this day in age. In May / June 2012 Cebu post I admitted to my mistakes and yet again there is Red Kit to drive the knife in even further. What are you some kind of shrink?

You fail to think that 200P is not all that bad for a 5 min ride? Shit. I could have gone from Circle Sumit Hotel to Ayala back and for 150P. Yes its only a dollar or so, no likes to be taken so blatantly.

This taxi guy did not give a rats ass about getting me to my flight in time, he just wanted to fuck me for what he could get period. If it came to maybe 125peso or what ever I would have given him the rest. Sad? Shit all he had to do was hear a few words from me and he is about 50 to 60 Peso richer, big friggen deal. I voiced my displeasure at his dealings with me and walked away simple as that, end of scene! Those amoung you out there that have never done this, feel free to cast the first stone

Oh these poor drivers only make this much per day. Boo hoo. So I guess its a license for them to go out and try to fuck every foreigner they pick to make up for it because they only make that much and have all this overhead. Wish I could screw people like that at my job, However, if I did, I would be fired. No one is putting a gun to their head to take the job and I assume that goes for most the ladies too I assume? Only the economics of their sitiuation there.

The really nice, polite, family-oriented cabbies busting their gut to make a living type taxi drivers I do not mind tipping, beleive it or not, Many trips to Ayala cam to 60 Peso and just gave them the 100P.

In reference to the taxi to the airport in Cebu:

When he told me it was 350, inside I was not too happy, but shrugged it off and just said get me there in time and that was it. But I thought I would share the experience.

So is where you and I go back and forth with this? Or do we walk away?

WestCoast1
10-03-12, 14:49
Incidentally, cab drivers in the Philippines are way underpaid and most of them would be lucky to make 200 php per DAY after they pay for their gasoline and their daily rental (called boundary) of between 1200 and 1600 php to the cab owner.

I reckon they are amongst the hardest working service providers in the Philippines for the least return, and when you encounter really nice, polite, family-oriented cabbies busting their gut to make a living then I think getting agitated over 50 or 100 php is way off the mark. It comes into perspective when you realise that you have been paying hookers and bars 2 or 3000 php or even more per night for pretty easy work.Was chatting up a group of guys in a bar in 2011. They were buddies and staying in a nicer hotel than me. Conversation got around to expenses. From one of them: "Ya mate if I'm not spending 15 or 20000 payso's a day I'm doing' somethin' wrong here." His buddies ribbed him some for partying all night in different bars and sometimes not taking a girl. For him, the nightlife (not the sex) is The fun. Its not my cup of tea, but I understand. From the same gent, this gem: "Wait till 'ya get into a f*ckin' tryke and go to the f*ckin' mall! Fifty f*ckin' payso's! What a ripoff!"

I understand its a mafia ripoff. I also understand that its a dollar out of his pocket so he doesn't have to walk 0. 4 miles from his hotel to the mall. And boy, could he ever use the exercise. Wow.

I think JP's last item of p350 is extra padding, a ripoff. The cure? Step out of the taxi. Another possible cure, one that worked for me in Manila: the driver pulled away from the curb, we were going about 6 blocks to my hotel. He claimed he was the hotel driver (bola) and it would be p300. Tempting to step out of the taxi. Instead, I told him I would pay no more than whatever was on the meter when we arrived, or he could let me out. He flipped on the meter right away. Try that.

Wicked Roger
10-03-12, 19:07
Guys.

I side with GE, RK and the others here. In days gone by it was bad but now it is much better. Some of those who posted in other forums seems hell bent on saving a dollar and don't realise that a taxi drivers life is hard in PI. Also are they Americans (due to the use of the word gougers) So be nice and tip and smile.

If they mess you around get out of the taxi, or when you get to the destination give him half of what he demanded and walk away. He will not go find the police as he can't say his meter was not on as this is not legal. There is solution.

As for going from T2 / T3 to T1. I have done this many times and I know these guys are really annoyed as they have been waiting around. So I give them a fare based on T3 to Makati. Cost me maybe another 200 pesos but who cares (it is only a few extra dollars!) and I get there on time with a happy driver. Good karma.

Now. What is a scam are T3 taxi drivers who won't come to collect passengers when it is busy but their mates sell their services at 700 pesos a pop to Makati. That is a scam, I dislike that and have said so earlier on this forum.

As for not knowing the way. Come and live where I am where 90% of them have no clue, smell as if they had a bath last year and are rude in Arabic to you if you mention that perhaps they are in completely the wrong place (that is assuming they understand what you said was your desstination in the first place). Some will drive off with your stuff in the boot if you are rude to them and there is no recourse to any firm etc. Or go to Dubai where a trip from T1 to Makati would easily be 1000-1500+ pesos depending on the time of day. One trip from hotel to a mall a few weeks ago (about 5 kms down the road) was 800 pesos.

So count your chickens gents and realise how lucky you are. I feel good when I tip a little in PI and the drivers do as well.

Don't be a cheap charlie. But seems for some it is in their DNA.

OK rant over back to normality

GoodEnough
10-04-12, 00:20
It's a constant source of amazement, and not a little amusement to me that guys who spend thousands of dollars to get here, and then hundreds on chasing women and hitting the nightlife, moan about the extra dollar or two they might spend on a taxi. I'm with RK. These guys are among the hardest providers in the country, and they often work 12 hour days to make Php200-300 for their families. Give them a break.

GE

Starchild2012
10-04-12, 03:33
With all due respect and with the knowledge that you reside in Phils (I think I read that somewhere before)

My posting was a line of postings in regards to those poor taxi drivers.

Therefore for what it is worth I had something to share in regards to taxi drivers and I shared it. Is it not the purpose of this board? Perhaps my bad experience / mistakes here may help someone else down the road? Ya ever think?

Also calling my self "Stoopid" was my attempt to take responsibility for my own mistakes. Got It? Which is something a lot of people in this world do not do this day in age. In May / June 2012 Cebu post I admitted to my mistakes and yet again there is Red Kit to drive the knife in even further. What are you some kind of shrink?

You fail to think that 200P is not all that bad for a 5 min ride? Shit. I could have gone from Circle Sumit Hotel to Ayala back and for 150P. Yes its only a dollar or so, no likes to be taken so blatantly.

This taxi guy did not give a rats ass about getting me to my flight in time, he just wanted to fuck me for what he could get period. If it came to maybe 125peso or what ever I would have given him the rest. Sad? Shit all he had to do was hear a few words from me and he is about 50 to 60 Peso richer, big friggen deal. I voiced my displeasure at his dealings with me and walked away simple as that, end of scene! Those amoung you out there that have never done this, feel free to cast the first stone

Oh these poor drivers only make this much per day. Boo hoo. So I guess its a license for them to go out and try to fuck every foreigner they pick to make up for it because they only make that much and have all this overhead. Wish I could screw people like that at my job, However, if I did, I would be fired. No one is putting a gun to their head to take the job and I assume that goes for most the ladies too I assume? Only the economics of their sitiuation there.

The really nice, polite, family-oriented cabbies busting their gut to make a living type taxi drivers I do not mind tipping, beleive it or not, Many trips to Ayala cam to 60 Peso and just gave them the 100P.

In reference to the taxi to the airport in Cebu:

When he told me it was 350, inside I was not too happy, but shrugged it off and just said get me there in time and that was it. But I thought I would share the experience.

So is where you and I go back and forth with this? Or do we walk away?Looks like RK has substantial Taxi Business going on in Manila. To make our life's easier, Why not RK stand in EDSA and give out 50 Pesos to all taxi drivers who pass by the airport as a charitable measure so they live us less mortals alone.

Its has now come to illogical conclusion in this forum that, cheating and ripping off is OK, as long as they are taxi drivers and we are mongers. They work there ass off, driving in Toyota Air con cars and now they have the human right to scam another human being.

If taxi drivers try to cheat you. Just give in to them. Why? 'because you are a monger. You spend 1000's of pesos on Bar Girls, so now its the right of every crook in Philippines to rip you off. The reason is you are a filthy low life monger who spends 1000's of pesos on bar girls, why not dish out few more pesos to taxi drivers as well.

We are now admitting what the main stream society views us as a low life sex tourists. We have lost all our rights to question dishonesty. Simply because we are mongers and we f8cuk bar girls. Just shut up and pay few 100 pesos. Why 'because you spend 1000 pesos on bar girls. Where this illogical conclusion comes from is beyond me.

Just because a person spends 1000's of dollars to fly here and f8uck bar girls. Does not give crooks in the Philippines to rip us off. This logic is completely demeaning to a monger. Just because we f8uck bar girls. Does not give everyone right to f8uck us back.

Starchild2012
10-04-12, 03:53
Guys.

If they mess you around get out of the taxi, or when you get to the destination give him half of what he demanded and walk away. He will not go find the police as he can't say his meter was not on as this is not legal. There is solution.

Now. What is a scam are T3 taxi drivers who won't come to collect passengers when it is busy but their mates sell their services at 700 pesos a pop to Makati. That is a scam, I dislike that and have said so earlier on this forum.I totally agree on this one.

As for not knowing the way. Come and live where I am where 90% of them have no clue, smell as if they had a bath last year and are rude in Arabic to you if you mention that perhaps they are in completely the wrong place (that is assuming they understand what you said was your desstination in the first place). Some will drive off with your stuff in the boot if you are rude to them and there is no recourse to any firm etc. Or go to Dubai where a trip from T1 to Makati would easily be 1000-1500+ pesos depending on the time of day. One trip from hotel to a mall a few weeks ago (about 5 kms down the road) was 800 pesos.Hahaha. Seems like you are dealing with too many Indians in the middle east. My friends are cab drivers in Dubai and Saudi Arabia, Hotels receptionist, hotel management, oil rigs, nurses, platform engineers and what not. Outsiders in middle east have no rights but the cab firms are owned by sheiks, so they can do whatever the hell they want. Sheiks are above everyone, and they legally rip you off, my friends know the scams but can't do anything for the fear of been kicked out to India. I know the life of a taxi driver. 'because my friends are one. I never side with them. 'because they are sometimes dishonest and dish it out with one or two vodka in their viens. For them, it has become a thrill to scam passengers. Its not about the money. But the ego boost they get by doing shiity jobs in the middle east.

Starchild2012
10-04-12, 04:08
oops. looks like taxi cabs are same all over the world. no love lost.

frenchman cheated by beijing taxi: 153km. 39 minutes. 491 rmb.

http://www.chinasmack.com/2012/stories/frenchman-cheated-by-beijing-taxi-153km-39-minutes-491-rmb.html

frenchman says he was cheated by a beijing taxi: 153 kilometers in 39 minutes.

yesterday morning, weibo user ' uploaded a picture of a receipt from a beijing taxi, and said, 'a frenchman on business in beijing from hong kong was cheated by a taxi driver who picked him up at the t3 terminal. a 30 kilometer trip was charged as 153 kilometers for 451 yuan. ' this weibo post was forwarded over 5500 times within 8 hours, and aroused the anger of many users.

this nanfang daily reporter noticed, this cab's receipt time was from '21:22-22:01', with 1 minute and 51 seconds of waiting time, which implies the cab traveled 153. 8 kilometers in 39 minutes.

yang yu of cctv commented on this microblog post saying, 'when calculated, the speed reached as high as 230kph. if you had him go patrol the diaoyu islands at this speed, he could make the japanese heads spin; if you had him go drive a taxi in america at this speed, he could collect all of that qe3 [quantitative easing 3] newly printed american money back. '

netizen _' said: 'to drive 153 kilometers in half an hour, this man would have an average speed of 249 kph, which is only 9 kilometers less than the national record of 258 kph, and 30 kilometers faster than the speed required for an airplane to take off at 220 kph. does he really want to fly? '

shortly afterwards, this reporter called the number on the receipt and found that the number did not exist. the reporter called the beijing municipal traffic commission to inquire about the situation and learned that the receipt was receipt's invoice number and password were real. it was from the jinshishun taxi company.

the microblog post that ; ' posted afterward said jinshishun taxi company refused to help find the taxi driver involved, and even claimed that their company's receipts are often stolen.

according to the recollection of the person originally involved, while he was at the beijing airport's t3 terminal waiting for a taxi, the dispatcher used english to ask him if he knew how much money the taxi fare should be. he said, 'i don't know, about 100? ' the dispatcher said, 'at least 300 to 500, ' and then brought him to a specific taxi, and 'whispered in the driver's ear for a long time. '

Wicked Roger
10-04-12, 19:08
Seems like you are dealing with too many Indians in the middle east. My friends are cab drivers in Dubai and Saudi Arabia, Hotels receptionist, hotel management, oil rigs, nurses, platform engineers and what not. I know the life of a taxi driver. 'because my friends are one. I never side with them. 'because they are sometimes dishonest and dish it out with one or two vodka in their viens. For them, it has become a thrill to scam passengers. Its not about the money. But the ego boost they get by doing shiity jobs in the middle east.In Dubai the taxis are metered and have GPS so the firms know where they are. Plus they are well dressed (well shirt tie uniform) etc. And never in Dubai am I ripped off (though a few don't know the way). I still tip as I know it is a hard life.

And many taxi drivers earn extra by taking tourists to the plice for the slightest 'misdemeanour' such as touching hands or kissing.

Saudi Arabia on the other hand. Very different.

I concur with GE. I have given my solution and if the taxi was hailed by the hotel and you keep the piece of paper it gave you, show to the concierge who will report it. Basically for a 60 pesos taxi fare (impossible to get this fare anywhere in the place I live) I would give 100 pesos note and walk off. This is $1.

Always someone somewhere in the world trying to scam a tourist not just taxi drivers. Look at India, Brazil, Africa etc so why we give the pinoy taxi driver such a hard time is beyond me.

Be nice, smile and walk away. Life is that simple at times and spend the extra dollar you saved on that high priced bar girl LOL

Jambo
10-05-12, 02:22
Or do we walk away?Yeah, I've walked away from a driver who refused to use the meter. Got out only a block from where I got in. Even walked up the street behind him. He turned around and followed me and my fiance for several blocks. I walked up a one way street but that didn't work. Driver tried to exhort some local boys into supporting him to do. What?

But yeah, I am totally unreasonable about taxi's. I am not an established expat here and should know my place. I appreciate hearing the advice from the more experienced.

FreebieFan
10-06-12, 14:56
In Dubai the taxis are metered and have GPS so the firms know where they are. Plus they are well dressed (well shirt tie uniform) etc. And never in Dubai am I ripped off (though a few don't know the way). I still tip as I know it is a hard life.Many good and reasonable taxi drivers in Dubai. And yes harx life for them WR. We have it easy.

Last trip to Dubai, I got in taxi to go to airport. After 3 minutes driving told the driver I had left somethin in hotel and to return there.

Nothing was actually left. But the driver was the stinkiest, foulest smelling driver I've ever encounterd (I've lived in Africa so have good knoeledge of lack of deodorant etc ). Another few minutes ni this guys cap and I would have passed out from his "smells". Yeahg sorry Frenz Babes 111, this posting aint nothning to do with sex or your collection of groupettes.

Wicked Roger
10-06-12, 20:05
But the driver was the stinkiest, foulest smelling driver I've ever encounterd (I've lived in Africa so have good knoeledge of lack of deodorant etc ). Another few minutes ni this guys cap and I would have passed out from his "smells".That issue is universal FF. Farting in the taxi prior to your entry is another hazard LOL and that is also universal! But in PI I usually enjoy the ride (taxi and otherwise) , it can be amusing and chatting to the driver can be enlightening

Amanut
11-15-12, 23:36
Last week I landed at Terminal 3 and went to the white taxi line up. I was quoted 750 pesos flat rate by the guy running the line to take me to the Makati Palace. The only alternative was the Yellow Cab line up. A little later a woman who was also working the line said 600 pesos. Same line up with two different rates which they seem to make up on the fly.

So off I walked pulling my suitcase to the street outside the airport property where cabs were lined up waiting for the likes of me. I got in the first cab and told him to turn on the meter. He said flat rate of 350 pesos. I told him to use the meter. He countered with flag down plus 50. I got out.

The next guy wanted 250 flat. He finally agreed to use his meter. Total cost was 140 pesos plus a 10 peso tip.

Fast Eddie 48
11-16-12, 00:54
Last week I landed at Terminal 3 and went to the white taxi line up. I was quoted 750 pesos flat rate by the guy running the line to take me to the Makati Palace. The only alternative was the Yellow Cab line up. A little later a woman who was also working the line said 600 pesos. Same line up with two different rates which they seem to make up on the fly.

So off I walked pulling my suitcase to the street outside the airport property where cabs were lined up waiting for the likes of me. I got in the first cab and told him to turn on the meter. He said flat rate of 350 pesos. I told him to use the meter. He countered with flag down plus 50. I got out.

The next guy wanted 250 flat. He finally agreed to use his meter. Total cost was 140 pesos plus a 10 peso tip.To Amanut,

You did a good job not giving in to this taxi Mafia, Manila taxi Mafia is one of the worst other than Jarkata and Bali most newbie will give in and paid the high taxi rate, I alway go up stair to arrival at NAIA get a taxi that just drop off a passager but at terminal 2 cebu pacific terminal they all work together even the local none of them want to use meter all asking 400 peso to Malate.

Fast Eddie 48

Wicked Roger
11-16-12, 04:31

The next guy wanted 250 flat. He finally agreed to use his meter. Total cost was 140 pesos plus a 10 peso tip.I mentioned this in an earlier FR.

The white cab flat rate to St Giles is 475 pesos, yellow cabs cheaper but the queues can be long. The scam (which is now been made official in that they are legitimate I am told) charges the fees you quoted.

Easier to go upstairs but sometimes I am tired, lots of baggage and for less than $15 I will take. Where I come from you pay far more than that for a far shorter distance etc so to me is acceptable.

But I use T3 a lot and am always annoyed at the way they run this trick and I say so, on one occassion I got a tad annoyed with the guys and suddenly a cab appeared for me and was a good rate. Just to stop me telling others what the real price was I assume.

Jp Slicky
11-16-12, 04:49
I paid 200 for a ride in a yellow from Terminal 3 to the International.

Terminal

And

I paid 240 for a ride in a white from the departure level from the International terminal to the Giles, go figure

WestCoast1
11-16-12, 07:37
Easier to go upstairs but sometimes I am tired, lots of baggage and for less than $15 I will take. Where I come from you pay far more than that for a far shorter distance etc so to me is acceptable.I flew into LAX recently. I assumed my hotel provided shuttle service, as almost every hotel in the area does, but I was wrong. I grabbed a taxi from the queue. The cabbie said to me: "Don't do this. It's $19 minimum. Its only 1. 3 miles to your hotel." I figured it was just his taxi company that charged the minimum, so I walked up the queue to a different cabbie, and got the same story. $19. I hopped in, and 4 minutes later we were at the hotel, and I was out $20. At 11:30pm it was worth the money. I could care less. Its fine to pay p700 to go 45 minutes in daytime traffic from the airport to Makati, or Malate (that's spit). Its fine to pay 240. Its fine if you can catch it at night for p180. If you're only catching it a few times a year, it doesn't make any difference. Twice monthly is another story.

Simian
11-16-12, 10:42
I flew into LAX recently. I assumed my hotel provided shuttle service, as almost every hotel in the area does, but I was wrong. I grabbed a taxi from the queue. The cabbie said to me: "Don't do this. It's $19 minimum. Its only 1. 3 miles to your hotel." I figured it was just his taxi company that charged the minimum, so I walked up the queue to a different cabbie, and got the same story. $19. I hopped in, and 4 minutes later we were at the hotel, and I was out $20. At 11:30pm it was worth the money. I could care less. Its fine to pay p700 to go 45 minutes in daytime traffic from the airport to Makati, or Malate (that's spit). Its fine to pay 240. Its fine if you can catch it at night for p180. If you're only catching it a few times a year, it doesn't make any difference. Twice monthly is another story.Report in the newspaper yesterday about an overseas Filipino worker (OFW) who was picked up by a cab at NAIA and brought to the Victory Liner Bus station in Pasay city. So close you could almost walk it. Cost PHP1, 200. Just under $30. No one would have heard about it but the guard chased the cab in the Victory Liner car. Bogus taxi driver abandoned his taxi and ran away and soon it became a police case.

In this case, the woman OFW was approached by a guy inside the terminal who helped her with her luggage to a "taxi" outside. Apparently helper stayed in the cab, saying that he was just going up the road. They pressurized her or threatened her to pay up. The guard at the bus station noticed the commotion and jumped in. BTW, don't expect the guards at NAIA to jump in. They are apparently there just to make us feel better, not to actually detain any trouble makers.

GoodEnough
11-16-12, 14:23
This morning I took a taxi from the New World in Makati to Terminal 2. The fare on the meter was less than Php150, probably because it was early and there was little traffic. The same ride in a coupon taxi is a flat rate at Php330 or so, and I always take these on arrival since I do not want the hassle of having to look for a cab and I'm usually rushing to make a meeting. I'm not sure what the issue is here as the coupon rates are posted on a huge sign over the desk. I guess I'm always amazed that guys spend hundreds if not thousands to get here and when here, and then worry over a hundred pesos.

GE

Wicked Roger
11-17-12, 00:17
This morning I took a taxi from the New World in Makati to Terminal 2. The fare on the meter was less than Php150, probably because it was early and there was little traffic. The same ride in a coupon taxi is a flat rate at Php330 or so, and I always take these on arrival since I do not want the hassle of having to look for a cab and I'm usually rushing to make a meeting. I'm not sure what the issue is here as the coupon rates are posted on a huge sign over the desk. I guess I'm always amazed that guys spend hundreds if not thousands to get here and when here, and then worry over a hundred pesos.

GEExactly GE. Taxis are relatively expensive from where they have come from but then it appears some turn into cheap charlies once they arrive in the Philippines. Where I think taxis are farily cheap (compared with my experience around the world)

Similar taxi prices you mention if you grab a taxi from a Burgos hotel and use the meter which I always do but like you when arriving after a long flight the coupon taxis are convenient and cheap relative to where I have come from. But then some mongers love to save the odd pesos and boast about it!

Amanut
11-17-12, 00:40
I guess I'm always amazed that guys spend hundreds if not thousands to get here and when here, and then worry over a hundred pesos. GEI agree with you and I did spend a lot of money getting to and traveling in the Philippines. Often I arrange for a hotel pick up knowing that it is far more expensive than a taxi, but the convenience is worth it to me. I do not scrimp when I am there and the trip was worth every cent.

Like everyone I have flags that on principle just plain get my back up and p$ss me off. I don't mind paying a reasonable price, but being asked to pay five times the going rate is one of those irritants. Had it been late at night, or if I was in a rush then I would have paid, but it was early afternoon and the walk to the road was easy and simply on principle.

Soapy Smith
02-15-13, 07:54
In a few weeks I will be traveling with work associates who expect comfort as they travel around Metro Manila. Where I travel by local LRT, buses, FX, and jeepneys, they want an air conditioned van with local driver. Anybody know of a reliable van business that's "professionalized" enough that they can take a Visa card? PM if you prefer not to clog up the open forum.

Skip

GoodEnough
02-15-13, 10:01
Many of us have commented on the excruciating traffic so characteristic of Manila, and on the lack of any enforcement of traffic laws and regulations which, if applied, might help to alleviate some of the problems. The driving behavior is anarchistic, often mindless, and, in general, drivers in Manila (and for that matter in the rest of the country) show no concern for other drivers and little road courtesy. This is well known and has been amply discussed herein. Yesterday though, I experienced still another extreme of mindlessness.

I had been in Manila for the better part of three days and had booked a seat on a 3 o'clock PM PAL flight to Davao. I left the hotel, together with a colleague, in a hotel car, from Makati at about 1 o'clock. This is a trip I've made dozens of times before at this time of day, with no problems other than the usual congestion. I was therefore, surprised when, about 2 km. From the airport, traffic simply stopped, only to move haltingly forward at a few centimeters at a time. My colleague, also a long-time resident here, asked the driver what the problem was, only to be told that every car was being stopped and individually inspected; in this case by a total of about 5 people. This was being done in the interests of "security." Of course, the inspection was so cursory, and so meaningless that anyone could have moved about half a ton of armaments or explosives quite easily through the checkpoint. The "security" check was nothing but an attempt to create, as is so often the case here, the illusion that the government was doing something, though the process itself was absurd. We had two suitcases and a large taped box in the trunk of the car, and were never asked a single question about the contents, where the bags came from, whether we had packed them ourselves, or in fact anything else. However, our driver was instructed to open the glove box.

So, the meaningless security check does nothing to enhance the probability of safe travel, and its only effect is the tortuous slow-down of traffic, contributing to further congestion, higher vehicle operating costs, and reinforcing the haphazard character of the country.

GE

Cunning Stunt
02-15-13, 12:00
Of course, the inspection was so cursory, and so meaningless that anyone could have moved about half a ton of armaments or explosives quite easily through the checkpoint. The "security" check was nothing but an attempt to create, as is so often the case here, the illusion that the government was doing something, though the process itself was absurd. We had two suitcases and a large taped box in the trunk of the car, and were never asked a single question about the contents, where the bags came from, whether we had packed them ourselves, or in fact anything else. However, our driver was instructed to open the glove box.Hahaha...suppressed scream! Would drive one as insane as them if you let them get to you, wouldn't it? The country is full of mindless simpletons who given instructions, carry them out to the letter, no matter how irrational and stupid they may be. But this is the Philippine way; the entire education system is geared to producing unthinking, unquestioning automatons rather than the opposite. You ask them why they are doing what they do and you get a blank stare. They haven't a clue either. They are just doing what they are told. In UK we call it the 'jobsworth' mentality (because if you ask them to be slightly flexible, the reply is 'its more than my jobs worth').

I encountered an example of terminal Pinoy stupidity other day. I was entering the bag check area of a store and expected the bag I was carrying to be checked. But, no, the store security team was going for hats today! Ignoring my bag, the guard asked me to remove my hat so he could check that I didn't have a round black object with bomb printed on it and a fizzling fuse, hidden there. Barmy.

Slippery
02-15-13, 14:50
3 of 4 taxi drivers I encountered last night had "broken meters" but would help me by taking me to where I was going (at 3 times the normal fare). 3 of 4 taxi drivers last night were bluntly told to go f**k themselves. Stupid bastards.

GoodEnough
02-16-13, 00:56
Hahaha.suppressed scream! Would drive one as insane as them if you let them get to you, wouldn't it? The country is full of mindless simpletons who given instructions, carry them out to the letter, no matter how irrational and stupid they may be. But this is the Philippine way; the entire education system is geared to producing unthinking, unquestioning automatons rather than the opposite. You ask them why they are doing what they do and you get a blank stare. They haven't a clue either.It's all true CS, and it's also true that if you let the utter mindlessness of the place get to you, you cannot live here. I worked for several years with more than 25 universities and colleges in Mindanao, and each was an exemplar of the discouragement of criticial thinking. Students are encouraged to memorize, but never to think independently. What a waste of intellectual potential.

GE

Apeman 28
02-16-13, 04:29
3 of 4 taxi drivers I encountered last night had "broken meters" but would help me by taking me to where I was going (at 3 times the normal fare). 3 of 4 taxi drivers last night were bluntly told to go f**k themselves. Stupid bastards.Well done mate. I do the same, no meter, no business, greedy rip off pricks.

Luvpuss
02-16-13, 06:10
I flew into LAX recently. I assumed my hotel provided shuttle service, as almost every hotel in the area does, but I was wrong. I grabbed a taxi from the queue. The cabbie said to me: "Don't do this. It's $19 minimum. Its only 1. 3 miles to your hotel." I figured it was just his taxi company that charged the minimum, so I walked up the queue to a different cabbie, and got the same story. $19. I hopped in, and 4 minutes later we were at the hotel, and I was out $20. At 11:30pm it was worth the money. I could care less. Its fine to pay p700 to go 45 minutes in daytime traffic from the airport to Makati, or Malate (that's spit). Its fine to pay 240. Its fine if you can catch it at night for p180. If you're only catching it a few times a year, it doesn't make any difference. Twice monthly is another story.The Motel 6 never offers a shuttle.

Key Master
02-16-13, 09:26
3 of 4 taxi drivers I encountered last night had "broken meters" but would help me by taking me to where I was going (at 3 times the normal fare). 3 of 4 taxi drivers last night were bluntly told to go f**k themselves. Stupid bastards.I took 3 taxis last night from Ermita to Makati Greenbelt, Greenbelt to Intercontinental, and then back to Ermita. Once it was agreed upon destination that he would drive there and I accepted and sat down, all three meters were turned on immediately. I always ask if they're willing to drive to a certain area or place first before sitting inside. I'm not saying that helps turn the meter on, but I'm saying I think it's probably a good idea to ask before even bothering.

Soapy Smith
02-16-13, 16:35
I worked for several years with more than 25 universities and colleges in Mindanao, and each was an exemplar of the discouragement of criticial thinking. Students are encouraged to memorize, but never to think independently. What a waste of intellectual potential. GEAnd you think this model is restricted to the Philippines? The U.S. is in hot pursuit of the same ideal. In my state the speaker of one of the two houses of the state legislature is proposing to base state support for the various institutions of the state university system on each school's employment placement rate among its graduates. In the Philippines many college graduates end up taking jobs at McDonalds, so this appears to be a model our state can emulate. As long as we diminish students' expectations for the types of jobs to which they aspire, I'm sure educators will have no problem learning to teach to the new test. In Texas, Rick Perry proposes to eliminate the research element at UT Austin; all state universities should prepare students for jobs, he argues, and leave the research to private schools, whose well-healed graduates are willing to endow the kinds of facilities that are needed to do research. Other well-informed "reformers" propose to evaluate public universities against each other based on students' scores on standardized tests. Be careful what you wish for.

GoodEnough
02-17-13, 01:59
And you think this model is restricted to the Philippines? The U.S. is in hot pursuit of the same ideal. In my state the speaker of one of the two houses of the state legislature is proposing to base state support for the various institutions of the state university system on each school's employment placement rate among its graduates. In the Philippines many college graduates end up taking jobs at McDonalds, so this appears to be a model our state can emulate. As long as we diminish students' expectations for the types of jobs to which they aspire, I'm sure educators will have no problem learning to teach to the new test. In Texas, Rick Perry proposes to eliminate the research element at UT Austin; all state universities should prepare students for jobs, he argues, and leave the research to private schools, whose well-healed graduates are willing to endow the kinds of facilities that are needed to do research. Other well-informed "reformers" propose to evaluate public universities against each other based on students' scores on standardized tests. Be careful what you wish for.That most of our legislators at virtually all levels of government are self-aggrandizing hypocrits whose sole focus while in office is to ensure their own re-election is a matter of empirical fact, so you get no argument from me. The rapid deterioration of American politics which is closely correlated to the erosion of educational quality at our public institutions saddens and disgusts me as well. Fortunately however, we still do have those private institutions that remain beyond the reach of the morons we elect, and it's these that will continue to push the frontiers of knowledge and development.

GE

Paul Kausch
02-17-13, 04:23
That most of our legislators at virtually all levels of government are self-aggrandizing hypocrits whose sole focus while in office is to ensure their own re-election is a matter of empirical fact, so you get no argument from me. The rapid deterioration of American politics which is closely correlated to the erosion of educational quality at our public institutions saddens and disgusts me as well. Fortunately however, we still do have those private institutions that remain beyond the reach of the morons we elect, and it's these that will continue to push the frontiers of knowledge and development.

GEI was in academia from late 60's to late 80's (student then faculty). Attacks on higher education and especially its research mission were going on then. Sounds like deja vu all over to me.

FreebieFan
02-17-13, 06:32
).

I encountered an example of terminal Pinoy stupidity other day. .The Philippines doesn't have the hold on stupidity locked down. Its shared with other great nations.

For instance in BKK airport I tried to log onto to the free wifi. Can't acess as it needs a password along with the all important verbiage thus " As security of our Kingdom is of utmost importance, we require to know at all times the names and identity of users ".

Fair enough. So I walk to information counter and ask for password. Handed to me with without a glance. Got to laugh!

X Man
02-17-13, 12:56
I'm going back and quoting an earlier post, but I've read the thread including posts from GE. As usual, thanks for your interesting and intellectual contributions GE. CS, fk off, as usual.

Just want to say you can find the same thing in Japan. GE has been in J, so maybe he can comment on that. For Example. It's Sunday so not much traffic. I walk across the intersection against the light. Screeching tires behind me. Someone mindlessly followed without realizing I was doing the dangerous dash. Actually the illegal stroll since I had looked at the light and looked in both directions and calculated I could cross without any harm nor impediments to traffic. The person behind me just walked into a four lane road in an urban area without any sense of. Without any sense!

I was recently discussing with some friends about why some countries are poor and others are rich. Reading your posts, I realized we didn't consider culture or national mindset in the discussion. Hmmm.

My post is rambling and I realize that this is in the Manila get around thread, so let the replies fall as they may.

Hahaha. Suppressed scream! Would drive one as insane as them if you let them get to you, wouldn't it? The country is full of mindless simpletons who given instructions, carry them out to the letter, no matter how irrational and stupid they may be. But this is the Philippine way; the entire education system is geared to producing unthinking, unquestioning automatons rather than the opposite.

SNIP.

SNIP.

Barmy.

Red Kilt
02-17-13, 14:11
. " . Fortunately however, we still do have those private institutions that remain beyond the reach of the morons we elect, and it's these that will continue to push the frontiers of knowledge and development.There are still some public high schools with far-sighted leaders who are protective of their ideals (particularly in Australia).

In Philippines, the University of the Philippines (UP) jealously protects its independence and I am always inspired whenever I go to meetings there. I will be there again this week. One of the biggest dangers with the private institutions (and I include the Catholic ones) , is their obsession with protecting the Catholic doctrine even when other more sensible options prevail.

All is not lost yet.

FruitNinja
02-17-13, 14:46
Many of us have commented on the excruciating traffic so characteristic of Manila, and on the lack of any enforcement of traffic laws and regulations which, if applied, might help to alleviate some of the problems. The driving behavior is anarchistic, often mindless, and, in general, drivers in Manila (and for that matter in the rest of the country) show no concern for other drivers and little road courtesy. This is well known and has been amply discussed herein. Yesterday though, I experienced still another extreme of mindlessness.

So, the meaningless security check does nothing to enhance the probability of safe travel, and its only effect is the tortuous slow-down of traffic, contributing to further congestion, higher vehicle operating costs, and reinforcing the haphazard character of the country.

GEI live in a city well known for traffic congestion and Manila was impressive. In the US they have started doing some simple things to ease congestion. They work on roads at night when there is little traffic. They have spent some money on researching traffic pattens but not nearly enough. The problem is that the roads were not designed for the amount of traffic today and they are landlocked so there is no expanding. A lot could be done with traffic patterns.

Bangkok was crazy. Where did all those cabs come from. 'll bet 50% never get a fare and of the 50 that do they are selective where they go.

The one place that ran rather efficiently given the amount of traffic is HCMC. There was recent study that indicated the more you try to control traffic ie: lights, signs, arrows, the more congested and dangerous it becomes. If you make the driver responsible and make him pay attention traffic tends to find a grove. That's well evidences in HCMC.

Another thing that was odd to me was Singapore airport. I never left the secure area but was still checked a number of times getting to my connection. I assume thats because of the $3 an hour security they hire. I've never seen so many jetway doors open in my life. People standing there chatting. You can't enforce the first level so you have to have 2 more. Law of averages I guess. Kind of like TSA in the US, hire enough and the system just might work. Imaginary at best.

FN

FruitNinja
02-17-13, 15:04
the philippines doesn't have the hold on stupidity locked down. its shared with other great nations.

for instance in bkk airport i tried to log onto to the free wifi. can't acess as it needs a password along with the all important verbiage thus " as security of our kingdom is of utmost importance, we require to know at all times the names and identity of users ".

fair enough. so i walk to information counter and ask for password. handed to me with without a glance. got to laugh!i was in hcmc doing the tourist thing and happened across a construction site with the gates open. peeked in and sadly it was starbucks. i thought i would take a picture and post to facebook. security guard saw me and ran up to tell me there was no picture taking. i kindly asked why. you would have thought i had just asked him to explain the theory or relativity by the look i got. i got the picture before he made it. him in it sternly walking my way. i thanked him and moved on.

FritsVanegter
02-17-13, 16:37
Hello,

If you are in HCMC you should drink where the locals are drinking and order drip-coffee. But now even the local people and especially the ones with money to waiste will go to the big air conditioned international shops to drink water that has a coffee taste. Why go to these international shops which will sell you the same garbage that you are buying in your hometown?

Greetings, Frits

Slippery
02-19-13, 11:29
Hello,

If you are in HCMC you should drink where the locals are drinking and order drip-coffee. But now even the local people and especially the ones with money to waiste will go to the big air conditioned international shops to drink water that has a coffee taste. Why go to these international shops which will sell you the same garbage that you are buying in your hometown?

Greetings, FritsHey Frits: This is the Getting Around in Manila forum. What direct or indirect connection is there between coffee in HCMC and transportation in Manila? You're just crapp'in up an otherwise useful forum.

Aibolit
03-02-13, 01:56
Respected Gentlemen,

I'm preparing for my first trip to Manila. Does anyone know if top high-end hotels provide a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel in mid-day? If not, I plan to take a regular cab upstairs (where arrival deck is).

Thanks for the input!

A

Red Kilt
03-02-13, 02:30
Respected Gentlemen,

I'm preparing for my first trip to Manila. Does anyone know if top high-end hotels provide a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel in mid-day? If not, I plan to take a regular cab upstairs (where arrival deck is).I don't understand your thinking A.

You are prepared to pay out way more than 4 000 php per night to stay in a top-end hotel and yet you are going to go all the way upstairs and fight with security and other cheap charlies to grab a cab at departures so you can try to save maybe $1 or $2 by not getting an airport taxi just outside arrivals?

Just get a yellow taxi.

The odd few stories here on ISG about so-called taxi mafias has NEVER happened to me or any of my family and friends and we travel regularly.

If the yellow taxi line is long, just grab a white coupon taxi for a fixed price.

It's up to you, but I just cannot understand why guys will put themselves through all manner of stress after a long flight just to (possibly but not certainly) save literally a few pesos. More likely the uncontrolled "regular" taxi will gouge you rather than the controlled yellow or white ones.

BTW, all top-end hotels will pick you up at any time but you need to ask them if it is "free". More likely a rather large charge will appear on your bill but because you are staying at a "high-end" hotel and have lots of cash then it doesn't matter (does it?)

Jp Slicky
03-02-13, 05:05
Just go up the departure area and catch one dropping someone off.

Your in a better barganing situation there

Irony Monger
03-02-13, 05:38
Respected Gentlemen, I'm preparing for my first trip to Manila. Does anyone know if top high-end hotels provide a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel in mid-day? If not, I plan to take a regular cab upstairs (where arrival deck is).Just walk out of customs, turn left to the yellow cab line, and catch a regular cab. Seriously, not worth the hassle of waiting for a hotel shuttle to save 2-3 bucks. Only catch in Manila is to ask up front if their meter is working, then don't close the door until you see it turned on and registering the min value (I think it is 40 pesos or something, maybe 70 from the airport I forget). My previous advice would have been to just ask if the meter is working, but twice last week I had drivers say "Yes the meter is working" as I got in only to have them say "oh no, broken" as we drive off. Really pissed me off, so now I make sure it is actually on and running before they have me locked in.

Dante2
03-19-13, 01:19
How can I get from the pasay bus station to makati? How long would that take? How much would taxi cost?

Are there trains like the BTS in Bangkok? How hard are they to use? Do they run 24/7?

How long would it take to get from makati to manila bay cafe really late at night? Taxi the best way? Cost? Am I better off just hanging around burgos EDSA and looking for streetwalkers there?

This would be the address I will be staying:

Montojo St. Near Chino Roces Ave. & Kalayaan Ave.

Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines

How far is that from the action?

Thanks I know a lot of questions but I've heard manila is not an easy place to figure out quickyl

Any tips would be welcome.

Slippery
03-19-13, 02:24
If you have never been here its certainly geographically and chronically confusing. It depends on what hours but I'd much rather be in a taxi than a bus. Honestly, if you can't afford three or four dollars for a taxi then there are some serious money issues. Times of day for that commute can vary in hours. You don't even want to get near a bus if they are even running at those hours. In a taxi it could be 20 minutes or 2 hours. At the hours you are talking about give it a half an hour to 40 minutes. Trains shut down around 10:00 pm Stay away from them. You'll be a target.

EDSA is closer to MBC than Makati. If you're traveling at 2:00 a. M. Then its just academic anyway. You will be fine but your only form of transportation at that hour will be taxi.

For your venues, its not that difficult at all at the times you want to travel. One man's opinion is that if I was sleeping in Makati, then I'm meeting women in Makati. Plenty of them there without having to do the back and forth to MBC or EDSA. That would be a ball buster and deal breaker to me given geography and time. Enjoy.

GoodEnough
03-19-13, 11:54
How can I get from the pasay bus station to makati? How long would that take? How much would taxi cost?

Are there trains like the BTS in Bangkok? How hard are they to use? Do they run 24/7?

How long would it take to get from makati to manila bay cafe really late at night? Taxi the best way? Cost? Am I better off just hanging around burgos EDSA and looking for streetwalkers there?

How far is that from the action?

Thanks I know a lot of questions but I've heard manila is not an easy place to figure out quickyl

Any tips would be welcome.The best advice, a proffered by others is to take taxis; you're new, Manila is very confusing, and the public transportation is more akin to Kenya than to Bangkok. Taxis are plentiful, fairly cheap and, so long as you insist the drivers use the meters, the only moderately pleasant way to get around. I also advise that you remain in the Makati area-Cafe Havana, Burgos-most of the time, and venture to MBC or EDSA after 8 or 9 in the evening once the traffic diminishes.

WestCoast1
03-19-13, 14:39
If you have never been here its certainly geographically and chronically confusing. It depends on what hours but I'd much rather be in a taxi than a bus. Honestly, if you can't afford three or four dollars for a taxi then there are some serious money issues.In addition, Dante, you have 72 posts, but are not yet a paid member? Pay up the $20 to join, THEN ask questions.

Dante2
03-20-13, 04:25
If I want to pm someone or look at pictures ill pay, I don't. So I won't.

Thanks goodenough and slippery

Hutsori
03-20-13, 07:42
How can I get from the pasay bus station to makati? How long would that take? How much would taxi cost?Time of day you arrive will very much determine ease of getting a cab, transport time, and cost. Getting a cab between 7 - 9 am and 5 - 9 pm can be difficult, especially in Makati. After 9 pm traffic in Makati and EDSA eases. Depending on my requirements I take jeep, bus, taxi and the LRT / MRT. Assuming you'll arrive during daytime you could jeep to the nearest MRT station and then go to either Magallanes, Ayala or Buendia station in Makati. Taxi fare will be between 100 and 200 pesos. But if you get stuck, or the driver doesn't know the roads well it could be 50 - 70 pesos more.

Are there trains like the BTS in Bangkok? How hard are they to use? Do they run 24/7?Yes, there are two light rail transport lines (LRT) and one medium rail transport line (MRT). They are not difficult to use, but they are jam-packed crowded. And watch your valuables. For your purposes you'll want to know LRT 1 and MRT 3. They run from approx. 5 am to 10 pm.

How long would it take to get from makati to manila bay cafe really late at night? Taxi the best way? Cost?Taxi is the best and safest way at night. From Rockwell, Makati to MBC it'll take approx. 20 minutes anytime between 11pm to 6am. Tell the driver to use Roxas rather than Osmena Expressway because the large trucks can jam the expressway at all hours. Coming home in the wee hours the driver can pass through the Manila Zoo to Osmena which will cut some time and save you approx. 20 pesos. Cost will be between 100 - 150 pesos.

Am I better off just hanging around burgos EDSA and looking for streetwalkers there?Depends. Havana girls and Burgos girls are more expensive and much more expensive, respectively, vis a vis MBC girls. EDSA streetwalkers? I'm sure there are some. But more likely hit and miss. Could be as low as 500 pesos.

How far is that from the action?Google maps is your friend. You know where you're staying and you know your destination. Shouldn't be too hard.

Looking at the general location of where you're staying,

https://maps.google.com.ph/maps?hl=en&safe=off&q=Montojo%20st%20makati&psj=1&bav=on. 2, or. R_cp. R_qf.&bvm=bv.44011176,AGc&biw=1024&bih=424&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl , Vito Cruz station is closest. That's LRT1. I don't know the jeep situation in that neighborhood, but from MRT 3 Magallanes station you could take a jeep to Chino Roces which will get you close to your destination.

Jeep travel can be confusing because many if not most streets have two or more names. For example Chino Roces is better known by its older name Pasong Tamo. I've never seen "Chino Roces" painted on a jeep, but see "Pasong Tamo" frequently. Gil Puyat is better known as Buendia. Google maps uses the new names. The jeeps and buses use the old ones.

The previous advice re this topic is worth heeding. But I appreciate someone with a sense of adventure who's willing to take public transport and muddle through it. In the end, if you screw up you can always hail a cab. Given the info posted here the amount you save will surely be more that the $20 dollars you pay to subscribe to ISG. Sign up m8.

Red Kilt
03-20-13, 09:53
. Snip.

Jeep travel can be confusing because many if not most streets have two or more names. For example Chino Roces is better known by its older name Pasong Tamo. I've never seen "Chino Roces" painted on a jeep, but see "Pasong Tamo" frequently. Gil Puyat is better known as Buendia. Google maps uses the new names. The jeeps and buses use the old ones.Depends how big you are if you want to try using a jeepney.

I used a jeepney once 15 years ago in CdO with a group of locals and I could not fit. Everyone was laughing at me.

I am hardly a "giant', but at 6ft 2 ins (189 cm) and slim with long legs, I found that when sitting my knees block the centre walkway and my head hits against the roof.

It is similar for those 200 pound or 120 kg guys who think they can take a tricycle. Not easy to do.

Dante2
03-21-13, 01:28
Thanks for the great post hutsori.

Probably just going to use taxis, if I lived in manila I'd learn the train routes but for a few day trip doesn't seem worth it, also all my travel will be at night anyways when they are closed.

Also how far / tough / unsafe of a walk would it be from that address I posted to where the bars and action on burgos is? One thing I really want to do is head to that area around 2-5am and see what prices you can get from the stunners on their way home, and I kinda like walking around at night, am I wrong in assuming that since its in makati it should be reasonably safe?

I would be very grateful if you could give me directions on how to walk to that area. If no one does ill try to google map it out myself but I have a feeling that might be kinda hard and I'd get lost, actually probably easiest to get a cab the first time and remember the way (unless the distance is much farther then I am thinking and its a 30+ minute walk)

Red Kilt
03-21-13, 08:09
I would be very grateful if you could give me directions on how to walk to that area. If no one does ill try to google map it out myself but I have a feeling that might be kinda hard and I'd get lost, actually probably easiest to get a cab the first time and remember the way (unless the distance is much farther then I am thinking and its a 30+ minute walk)You answered your own question by saying that you really need to sort it out for yourself.

I could tell you it is an easy walk and you could get mugged on the first night.

I could tell you never walk anywhere and others will say they walk all over town with no ill effects.

Just to show you how unpredictable it is:

I live in Ortigas which is upscale with nice clear walking areas and modern buildings. I have lived here for more than 15 years with absolutely no security problems EXCEPT one day in 2011 walking near SM Megamall within a crowd of people at 3 pm on the afternoon. I am tall and I walk purposefully and rapidly.

I had a gold wrist bracelet removed from my arm by 2 young guys, one armed with a small cutter. One distracted me while the other grabbed my arm, snipped it and they were gone in 3 seconds. They were opportunistic experts, as I rarely walk in that particular area. (Since then I no longer wear any "jewellery" except a simple watch).

My point is that if such a theft could happen at 3 pm in broad daylight then your chances of being hit increases with dark quiet streets and not being certain where you are. Doesn't matter if you are big and strong, it just means they will use a gun or a knife to make sure they don't get hurt. Much easier to get a taxi, and safer too.

Dante2
03-21-13, 08:35
Well sure anything can happen anywhere, but there is still a "how likely is it" that you can assess right? Would you walk that at 2 am?

The thought that I could get stabbed at any second kinda gives me a hard on.

Hutsori
03-21-13, 12:42
Thanks for the great post hutsori.

Also how far / tough / unsafe of a walk would it be from that address I posted to where the bars and action on burgos is? One thing I really want to do is head to that area around 2-5am and see what prices you can get from the stunners on their way home, and I kinda like walking around at night, am I wrong in assuming that since its in makati it should be reasonably safe?Heed Red Kilt's advice. Where you're staying is too far to walk to either MBC or Burgos or Havana, and walking to MBC would be your most dangerous walk. You're looking at a $2. 50 to $4 taxi fare. It's peanuts, really. I also think you'll find few, if any,"stunners" between 2 - 5 am. They were picked up much earlier. Of course there's always a chance.

For kicks and grins let's see how this op would be run. Your best hunting ground for "stunners" from 2am to 3:30am will be Burgos. Check each bar during their final hour, quickly see what's available, then stake out the place with the remaining "stunners". Once the bars close the girls pretty much skedaddle, so you'll need to strike quickly. Word has it that it's tough to pick up after-work girls in Burgos street itself because the street is pretty much under observation, and hooking up with a guy who doesn't pay a barfine is a big no no for the girl. There's a reason why there are few FLs wandering this street. If you grab a girl's interest you'll need to do so quickly and arrange to meet her outside the area, not at a local all-night place like the Filling Station because it's owned by a guy who owns several other bars in the street. Of course she'll need to know where the meeting place is, so it's best you've already planned that and have the complete address and your mobile number written on a piece of paper you can hand off to her surreptitiously. You won't want to take the same cab together, so with the note also give her 200p to pay her taxi fare. Then you hop into a following cab. The likelihood of everything coming together is quite low.

So you shoot blanks there. Keep your chin up, mate. On the weekends Havana closes at 4am I recall. So you dash over there to see if there are any "stunners'. The ladyboys zerg rush you, so you fight through them and you may find what you're looking for as the wait staff clear the tables. Again, the likelihood of success is quite low.

Don't despair. Fight through the ladyboys again, hop in a cab, and head off to MBC. The stunners and the above average have long gone. Those who had some cash in their purses for jeep and / or bus fare have also called it quits too. Who mostly remains is the desperate, which is a match made in heaven because with all the effort and no payoff you've experienced you may be feeling desperate too.

What thrills you I don't know. Seems to me you have a strong sense of adventure and you're tighter than a Scot robbed of his generosity, so perhaps the hunt for the elusive stunner on the cheap is what gets you hard. If so, have at it. But if your priority for your holiday is to pick up "stunners" then I think you may want to overhaul your strategy. Arrive early and be prepared to pay.

My intent is not to dissuade you, rather let you know the challenges you'll face; I genuinely hope you can pull off what you're planning. It will certainly make for an entertaining field report. Best of luck.

WestCoast1
03-21-13, 15:00
If I want to pm someone or look at pictures ill pay, I don't. So I won't.

Thanks goodenough and slipperyYou good gents are giving Dante quite a lesson. One which he hasn't earned. He's been a member for 3 months, has 77 posts, mostly asks questions, hasn't been to Manila, has never posted a FR for Phils, and hasn't paid up for a membership, and refuses to do so. Can't think of a single good reason to help him.

Dante2
03-22-13, 02:39
Of course I only ask questions, do you want me to be like pinkpearl and make answers up? Its impossible for a noob to a place to do anything other then ask questions, the places I go I share my experiences, as far as paying I just gave an answer in the other thread and we don't need that argument going in 2 places.

Hutsori again thanks. I don't expect to pull any stunners while in manila because I'm not going to be paying any more than 2k for a night max, and will be hoping for even less then that, but I still am curious to see how it plays out, you never know you might happen to ask the right girl at the right time.

I like your idea of having my number on a piece of paper and I definitelyplan on doing that (done it before actually) most likely the girl just tosses it right after I walk away, but again who knows.

Fwiw I'm not on vacation and won't be in desperation mode (ok not ending up in desperation mode is easier said then done, but I've been in asia for awhile now its not like I just flew over from the us and am so horny I have to get laid every night or its a failure) so I can be patient, pick and choose my spots, I'm more than willing to go out for a few hours to try and make something happen I have far more free time then money and if I only get laid one or two nights in manila thats fine because angeles is waiting

My time in manila is more of a fact finding mission to see what its like and if I can make it work on what I can afford, and if its worth doing so, its not about having the best time I can have (though obv I wouldn't mind having some fun while I'm at it)

FreebieFan
03-25-13, 10:34
You good gents are giving Dante quite a lesson. One which he hasn't earned. He's been a member for 3 months, has 77 posts, mostly asks questions, hasn't been to Manila, has never posted a FR for Phils, and hasn't paid up for a membership, and refuses to do so. Can't think of a single good reason to help him.Been watching this discussion a la Dante for a while, and I'm very proud of myself for not having expressed an opinion about the fellow. YET.

Hes a real piece of work, but as we all know, this board attracts all and sundry. He, definately being in the latter category.

Maybe you were all a little hasty in failing to provide him with numbers.

After all, we all have numbers of the " ones to avoid at all the costs" the "stinky pussies we swore never to see again" the ones whose gender and big feet made us cancel the Sogo run, the ones who assault us with "hw are you " 100 times a day and "have you had breakfst yet". Not forgeting the " please sir, could you help, my caribou has died and needs a burial could you lend me P 100, 000, 000 " There are many numbers we could and should have given the fellow. LOL.

Dante2
03-25-13, 17:41
I know right! Asking questions on a forum. Guys like him are the worst!

Gman13
08-07-13, 01:12
Gentlemen,

I apologize in advance for being such a newbie on such a basic question. But after traveling through Manila between on my annual visits (2009-2012) , I have yet to crack the code on getting past the cabbies that want to charge 3,000php and up to get my ass from the airport to a simple point within a one mile radius. This trip, despite the awful traffic should only be around 200-300 pesos by standard fare cab (if they use the meter) , but unless I wait for a bus that never arrives, this seems to be the only way out of the craziness that is terminal 1 at Ninoy Aquino International Airport.

My advance apologies again.

Wicked Roger
08-07-13, 08:56
Gentlemen. Apologize in advance for being such a newbie on such a basic question. But after traveling through Manila between on my annual visits (2009-2012) , I have yet to crack the code on getting past the cabbies that want to charge 3,000php and up to get my ass from the airport to a simple point within a one mile radius. This trip, despite the awful traffic should only be around 200-300 pesos by standard fare cab (if they use the meter) , but unless I wait for a bus that never arrives, this seems to be the only way out of the craziness that is terminal 1 at Ninoy Aquino International Airport. My advance apologies again.This has been covered a lot before = see 2 of the links below that were found on this and the second page so a RTFF first helps before asking.

How you can be ripped off is beyond me as the taxis are either metered or fixed (yellow / white) so take your choice and go to Makati, never an issue.

http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/showthread.php?3250-Getting-around-in-Manila&p=1393136&viewfull=1#post1393136

http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/showthread.php?3250-Getting-around-in-Manila&p=1393085&viewfull=1#post1393085

Slippery
08-07-13, 10:17
Gman, welcome and greetings. Some may disagree with what I do as the price is about double than ordinary but convenience and safety are my primary concerns. Upon exiting Terminal 1, cross the street, angle 20 degrees to the left and you'll see a line of white taxis. There's a desk there and you tell them where you want to go. They have set prices. They give you a couple of pieces of paper and direct you to the first available taxi. There's no waiting and the total time spent from the walk outside to getting into a cab is about two minutes at the most. There's always an available taxi. You pay the driver when you get to where you're going.

Like I said, price is double what a yellow taxi would be but upon arrival at the gates of hell (Terminal 1) , I just want to sh*t and git and get to my place safely, quickly and with the least amount of hassle. Like I said, others would disagree with this due to the price. From the airport to my place in Malate, price is about 530. After 28 hours of travel door to door, for me its well worth the price.

Kadol
08-07-13, 10:37
Gentlemen. Apologize in advance for being such a newbie on such a basic question. But after traveling through Manila between on my annual visits (2009-2012) , I have yet to crack the code on getting past the cabbies that want to charge 3,000php and up to get my ass from the airport to a simple point within a one mile radius. This trip, despite the awful traffic should only be around 200-300 pesos by standard fare cab (if they use the meter) , but unless I wait for a bus that never arrives, this seems to be the only way out of the craziness that is terminal 1 at Ninoy Aquino International Airport. My advance apologies again.Terminal 3 to Ermita was, on the meter 156 peso, June 16th.

Ermita tot terminal 1 was, on the meter 172 peso, June 26th.

But I admit that I gave a "good" tip.

X Man
08-07-13, 12:57
It really pains the "antagonist", but I have to agree. If you are new or tired, just get it over with. THere are few positive airport experiences, so get the hell out of there as quickly as possible. Slippery suggests 530. Keep that number in mind. You don't want to pay much more than that. An yes, airport exchange rates aren't that good, but if it's evening, do you really need to save the one or two dollars?

The taxi driver will ask you if it is your first time. They might offer you all kind of attractions. What is a man to do? If you are new, and you aren't a good liar, just say NEWBIE, but I will meet my friend at xxx location tonight. Thanks anyway, but give me your phone number for tomorrow.

Back to the airport: I've done all sorts of crazy stuff. A couple of times I walked out to the street and caught a cab. Until once we got pulled over by police. I felt sorry for the driver so paid enough to cover his "fine".

In my much younger days, I was traveling light so walked all the way from the airport to Ermita. LOL, anyone else do that?

The best transportation of all was when a Filipina on the airplane said that her driver could take me to any hotel that I wanted to go to. Nice lady.

Gman, welcome and greetings. Some may disagree with what I do as the price is about double than ordinary but convenience and safety are my primary concerns. Upon exiting Terminal 1, cross the street, angle 20 degrees to the left and you'll see a line of white taxis. There's a desk there and you tell them where you want to go. They have set prices. They give you a couple of pieces of paper and direct you to the first available taxi. There's no waiting and the total time spent from the walk outside to getting into a cab is about two minutes at the most. There's always an available taxi. You pay the driver when you get to where you're going.

Like I said, price is double what a yellow taxi would be but upon arrival at the gates of hell (Terminal 1) , I just want to sh*t and git and get to my place safely, quickly and with the least amount of hassle. Like I said, others would disagree with this due to the price. From the airport to my place in Malate, price is about 530. After 28 hours of travel door to door, for me its well worth the price.

Wicked Roger
08-07-13, 15:47
Slippery suggests 530. Keep that number in mind. You don't want to pay much more than that. An yes, airport exchange rates aren't that good, but if it's evening, do you really need to save the one or two dollars?T1 to Burgos is 440 pesos in a white fixed fee cab. That was last week and have never changed in years as far asI can remember but I am getting old.

To the Dusit etc (ie Greenbelt) from T1 it tends to be slightly less.

Metered cab from Burgos to T1 is less than 200 pesos on a good day as long as it is not Friday night, no rain and no accidents en route.

If you take Skyway (20 pesos extra for those who can afford) it is worth it most times.

No issues ever with dodgy taxi drivers at T1 always in Manila bit easy to overcome and no hassles. Taxis all over the world can be difficult, try the Arab world and you will think those in Manila are saints LOL.

Hutsori
08-29-13, 11:52
Was chatting with a young lady today who wanted to come visit me. She asked that I cover her taxi fare from Alabang to Makati."You know how much that will be?", I asked."Not sure, about 3000 pesos. I need to borrow the money from my friend to come see you." Yowza! A bold one here.

I use worldtaximeter dot com to estimate the cost, http://www.worldtaximeter.com/manila. I quick check showed an estimated fare of p237.

"Baby, I'm sorry, but the taxi should be about p300, not ten times more."

How accurate are the estimated fares? Not bad.

An example, from my condo near Makati Med to Remedios St in Malate I often pay p100; this trip happens after 10pm. The site's estimated fare: p110.

The estimated fare of p60 from my condo to Greenbelt 1 is pretty accurate.

One wrinkle about the site. The home page does not have Manila listed in the drop down menu of cities. Scroll down the page and on the left side you'll see Supported Cities > More. You'll see a link to Manila. Cebu is also available.

I don't think the site includes tolls, so keep that in mind.

Slippery
08-30-13, 01:38
And another 3, 000 to get home! Bwahahahahaha

Hutsori
08-30-13, 11:04
And another 3, 000 to get home! BwahahahahahaLOL. Lucky for me we didn't get that far into the conversation.

IM Punter
09-20-13, 15:08
I'd like to find a trustworthy driver to take me and hopefully a "tourist guide" from DIA. A driver who doesn't mind out if town trips or even Manila tours.

I'm ok with taxis in Manila (only got scammed once last time) but expect that I might be more of a target with a sweet 20ish tour guide in tow. I'd rather have one person I could trust.

Is there a reputable agency or some other means of finding a driver.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Dg8787
09-21-13, 17:34
I'd like to find a trustworthy driver to take me and hopefully a "tourist guide" from DIA. A driver who doesn't mind out if town trips or even Manila tours.

I'm ok with taxis in Manila (only got scammed once last time) but expect that I might be more of a target with a sweet 20ish tour guide in tow. I'd rather have one person I could trust.

Is there a reputable agency or some other means of finding a driver.

Any tips would be appreciated.Are you looking to hire by the hour? And what is your budget?

IM Punter
09-21-13, 23:39
Are you looking to hire by the hour? And what is your budget?I guess it depends, hour or day. I'd like to go to a few places like Taal in tagaytay, or pubic (I mean subic) as well as have a driver or taxi driver I can trust to drive me and my Pinay (when I get one) to hotel or wherever.

I did get a couple of numbers from a member so I have some options.

Dg8787
09-22-13, 00:52
I guess it depends, hour or day. I'd like to go to a few places like Taal in tagaytay, or pubic (I mean subic) as well as have a driver or taxi driver I can trust to drive me and my Pinay (when I get one) to hotel or wherever.

I did get a couple of numbers from a member so I have some options.I have used this driver several times. He is very honest and knowledgeable. Speaks great English, drives a nice newer clean mini-suv with free wi-fi. Yes wi-fi onboard with great connection. Perfect for longer drives or even around town. 400 pesos / hour or he will fix rate for shorter runs. No upsells or steering and very reliable. Call Gilbert at 63 905-331-5660.

X Man
09-22-13, 13:11
Taal in Tagaytay is such a nice place. It would really help others if someone does a field report.

My own experience was that I was delivered to some registration place where I had to pay a fee. The fee apparently included some annoying guy on a horse. Or does it? I wanted to hike and hike I did. The dick on the horse followed so closely that I had to ask him to back off. My partner was a Filipina, so he tried to convince her, in their language, that riding on his horse is the best option. Dick!

It was an easy hike. My partner did it in flip flops. I told her to hop on the horse, but she refused. Great gal, now married in the west.

I wanted to hike more around the rim or even down into the volcanic crater, but the Filipino guides constantly discouraged us form doing this. There was also the problem of hiring out assualt rifles. Firing a gun into a volcanic crater. Boring. That's some pretty fkd up eco tourism.

Tired at the end of the day, but I had become exhausted dealing with the locals who were constantly trying to overcharge the tourist. We took a bus back to Manila.

It's be great if someone could do a Taal Volcano or Tagaytay report. X

Slippery
09-23-13, 06:20
What bus did you take? Where'd you catch it in Manila and where'd you pick it up in Tagaytay for the return trip? Times also please if you have that information.

X Man
09-23-13, 13:08
I took a taxi there. Since I had an educated Filipina with me I let her do most of the talking especially when it came to the boat, etc. We took the regular bus back, which isn't too hard to figure out if you ask the locals. The buses run pretty regular. You can flag them down anywhere on the main street.

I think SLeezy Slip already knows the answers to his questions. There are a few different ways to get to Taal from Manila and vice versa.

I would have liked to stay overnight. I hope someone can add information. X.

What bus did you take? Where'd you catch it in Manila and where'd you pick it up in Tagaytay for the return trip? Times also please if you have that information.

IM Punter
11-21-13, 02:07
Having spent a lot of time in taxis during my three weeks I thought I would pass on my observations.

I had taxied from Makati to various locations throught Metro Manila (Paranaque, Malate, Mabini, Tagaytay, Quezon City, Fort Bonifacio etc.). For the most part, I found taxi drivers pretty honest, although I did have a couple that took me on joy rides to bump up the fare. Quite often, especially during busy times or late at night, the driver would ask for a flat rate or else a certain amount above the meter. Here is where it helps to know the usual fare where you are going or what the traffic conditions are really like.

For example, on one trip, I wanted to go from Makati to MOA at 11AM. The driver cried "much traffic sir, need 500 pesos flat rate", at which, I responded,"oh, I thought EDSA wasn't too bad this time of day and wasn't MOA at the end of EDSA. Last time I only paid 140 pesos (a guess on my part)". After some grumbling and assurance that I would pay something above the meter, he took me on my way and was quite pleasant after that. I can't remember actually how much was on the meter for that trip, but I think it was less than 160. I paid him 25 above and he seemed happy with it.

Another thing. Don't catch a taxi on Burgos, any time of day. They are more inclined to ask for a flat rate or offer you a "service car". Much better to walk out to Makati Ave and pick up a taxi there.

I am still amazed at how low the rates are in Manila compared to most of the US. How taxi's there can make money, with car, gasoline, presumably insurance, taxi rentals, licensing etc, amazes me.

Hutsori
02-20-16, 03:15
For p300, which is kind of a rip off, the 24/7 bus service has two routes.

The Roxas Blvd route goes to MOA, the Entertainment City, Midas Hotel, Hotel Jen, and Manila Hotel. The Makati route goes to Glorietta Mall and Ascott Hotel.

If you've having a hassle hailing a taxi, don't have Uber or Grab Taxi, and don't want to go across the street to Resorts World to catch a taxi there this gives you an alternative. Look for the UBE Express bus operated by Air21.

Kazeu
02-20-16, 04:52
Use uber. Taxis in manila are the worst. I hate the haggling, its the last thing I want to do after getting off a long flight. Ultimately I think the taxi situation will get better with the introduction of Uber and other like services, but for now I will continue to despise these taxi drivers.

Uber has been a godsend for me. It has almost completely removed the dreaded taxi experience. Prices are reasonable, probably about the same, maybe slightly less. The uber drivers themselves are always pleasant. You don't get crappy vehicles with seats falling apart.

One tip. If you do need to take a taxi and you arrive at Terminal 3 at a reasonable time (I. E. Not 2 am) you should be able to catch a metered taxi outside at the far end (direction of traffic) of the departures level. Theres is a line for taxis which have just dropped passengers off.

Having spent a lot of time in taxis during my three weeks I thought I would pass on my observations.

I had taxied from Makati to various locations throught Metro Manila (Paranaque, Malate, Mabini, Tagaytay, Quezon City, Fort Bonifacio etc.). For the most part, I found taxi drivers pretty honest, although I did have a couple that took me on joy rides to bump up the fare. Quite often, especially during busy times or late at night, the driver would ask for a flat rate or else a certain amount above the meter. Here is where it helps to know the usual fare where you are going or what the traffic conditions are really like.

For example, on one trip, I wanted to go from Makati to MOA at 11AM. The driver cried "much traffic sir, need 500 pesos flat rate", at which, I responded,"oh, I thought EDSA wasn't too bad this time of day and wasn't MOA at the end of EDSA. Last time I only paid 140 pesos (a guess on my part)". After some grumbling and assurance that I would pay something above the meter, he took me on my way and was quite pleasant after that. I can't remember actually how much was on the meter for that trip, but I think it was less than 160. I paid him 25 above and he seemed happy with it.

Another thing. Don't catch a taxi on Burgos, any time of day. They are more inclined to ask for a flat rate or offer you a "service car". Much better to walk out to Makati Ave and pick up a taxi there.

I am still amazed at how low the rates are in Manila compared to most of the US. How taxi's there can make money, with car, gasoline, presumably insurance, taxi rentals, licensing etc, amazes me.

Manny51
02-20-16, 08:44
Use uber. Taxis in manila are the worst. I hate the haggling, its the last thing I want to do after getting off a long flight. Ultimately I think the taxi situation will get better with the introduction of Uber and other like services, but for now I will continue to despise these taxi drivers.

Uber has been a godsend for me. It has almost completely removed the dreaded taxi experience. Prices are reasonable, probably about the same, maybe slightly less. The uber drivers themselves are always pleasant. You don't get crappy vehicles with seats falling apart.

One tip. If you do need to take a taxi and you arrive at Terminal 3 at a reasonable time (I. E. Not 2 am) you should be able to catch a metered taxi outside at the far end (direction of traffic) of the departures level. Theres is a line for taxis which have just dropped passengers off.From my experience, the only time taxi drivers were "painful" was when going to and from the airport. And even then, it really only amounted to an extra $2 or $3. Otherwise, I actually found Manila taxi drivers to be very reasonable, and cheap. The pain didn't come from the drivers themselves. It came from the traffic.

That's why, if during the day, and if possible, I say take the metro.

Kazeu
02-20-16, 09:10
Have you ever tried catching a taxi when its raining? Or anytime between 5 and 8 pm? I'm fine with paying more for taxis. That's not the point. But it should be raised fares that are clear and transparent, without all the haggling. Theres a reason theres a meter. You may like to barter. Some people don't. Especially after a long flight, like I said. I know more people that complain about the taxis than don't, both Filipinos and foreigners.

The metro, while theoretically should be easy, I've only ridden it a few times and none of those times were pleasant. Think hot sweaty can of people. Its an experience, but not a pleasant one.

From my experience, the only time taxi drivers were "painful" was when going to and from the airport. And even then, it really only amounted to an extra $2 or $3. Otherwise, I actually found Manila taxi drivers to be very reasonable, and cheap. The pain didn't come from the drivers themselves. It came from the traffic.

That's why, if during the day, and if possible, I say take the metro.

Hutsori
02-21-16, 11:15
The metro, while theoretically should be easy, I've only ridden it a few times and none of those times were pleasant. Think hot sweaty can of people. Its an experience, but not a pleasant one.If you avoid the weekday rush-hour crush it's fine; ride between 10 am and 3 pm and the weekends and you may even get to sit often times. The problem is the system is stressed far beyond capacity, so massive queues form. If there is a mishap then everything is totally fucked.

GoodEnough
02-21-16, 13:20
Have you ever tried catching a taxi when its raining? Or anytime between 5 and 8 pm? I'm fine with paying more for taxis. That's not the point. But it should be raised fares that are clear and transparent, without all the haggling. Theres a reason theres a meter. You may like to barter. Some people don't. Especially after a long flight, like I said. I know more people that complain about the taxis than don't, both Filipinos and foreigners.

The metro, while theoretically should be easy, I've only ridden it a few times and none of those times were pleasant. Think hot sweaty can of people. Its an experience, but not a pleasant one.The metro is a disaster waiting to happen, poorly maintained and dangerous. For those who don't want to use Uber, I'd suggest the Grab app, which works pretty well in Manila. I've ised it a couple of times, always successfully.

GE.