PDA

View Full Version : Expats in Cebu

FurryFriend
02-16-12, 08:37
As a side note to my fellow mongers who have yet to make the trip to the philipinnes, if you should come to cebu city, and should you frequent the malls for any reason, at places like Bo's Coffee in Robinson's Mall you will come to see a certain breed of broken down, old, nasty, cummegenly out to pasture white guys with a permanent scowl on their face. You will also find their ilk on this board (easily spotted because their posts tend to be as nasty as their intelligence is limited, and somehow, they always seem to find fault in the posts of others, yet have nothing constructive or even imformative to offer.) My advice to you is, don't UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTNCES try to chat up or befriend these obvious losers.I haven't chat up any expats in Cebu. But my experiences with expats in Angeles City is, they're usually friendly guys but a bit eccentric and strange. C'mon, you have to be nutty to move permanently to a third-world, corrupt shithole like the Philippines.

Granted, internet forum expats are usually crazier, crankier and more vengeful than your typical expats. If you [CodeWord140] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord140) one off, they will keep attacking you and won't let it go for months (even years). So don't think those found here (and other forums) represents them all.

Philippine expats usually fit many of these characteristics:

- Ex-military unable or unwilling to adjust to civilian life.

- Firearm enthusiasts.

- Have extreme political views.

- Paranoid about "Big Brother" watching them or coming to get them.

- Bitter dislike towards a certain ethnic group (we all know which one)

- Holds long grudges towards "enemies"

- Penny pinchers.

- Estranged from family back home.

- Has a close circle of buddies and, amongst them, harbors a "us against them" mentality.

- Likes a hermit lifestyle.

- In denial about why Filipinas give them attention.

- Have surrendered almost all ambition in life

FurryFriend
02-18-12, 17:09
The ones that I know generally run businesses, have jobs, do interesting stuff. None of them seem to be short of money, at least enough to lead a decent lifestyle. I know two multimillionaire expats.

So I suggest that before you make that kind of post, you make sure that you have met maybe 100 expats so that you can be sure that you have a fair sample size from which to draw your conclusions.I'd like to invite you to reread my post where I clearly stated that my experiences with Philippine expats were restricted mostly those in Angeles City.

With that in mind, I think it's nonsensical to suggest that the expats there are mostly millionaires who're running vibrant businesses and being amongst Asia's top movers and shakers.

However, I find it hard to believe that those in Cebu are that much different. By the way, I wasn't talking about Asian expats.

Frenchmen
02-25-12, 05:37
If any fellow ISG-er is interested to meet for a drink and socializing please PM-me.

Back in Cebu on the 29th

Stroker Ace88
02-25-12, 15:37
I haven't chat up any expats in Cebu. But my experiences with expats in Angeles City is, they're usually friendly guys but a bit eccentric and strange. C'mon, you have to be nutty to move permanently to a third-world, corrupt shithole like the Philippines.
With that in mind, I think it's nonsensical to suggest that the expats there are mostly millionaires who're running vibrant businesses [SNIP]However, I find it hard to believe that those in Cebu are that much different.You seem pretty full of opinions but not much on substance. I think you mentioned you have only visited Cebu once if I remember correct and the Philippines four times total (if that can be believed) , and yet you are more than willing to state fact on a subject you have limited knowledge about. Just because you made the rounds in AC bars and met a few guys you see no problem to extrapolate your findings by grouping all the expats in the Philippines together.

I know several expats in Cebu and several more that reside elsewhere in the Philippines who are indeed millionaires that choose To live where they do. There are alot more out there. There are also huge numbers of guys who live a nice comfortable life in the Philippines, while they can't be included in the 7figure column they have no worries about money.

Your quickness to post sweeping statements on things you know nothing about makes me think you are a penny-pincher who resents others for having money and the ability to travel. Some of us are fortunate enough to stay in high-end hotels and resorts and reside in beautiful homes.

If you ever gained access to some of the higher-end gated communities around the Philippines you would be in for an eye-opening experience where you would see just how some locals and foreign guys live. Nothing like the slice-of-life you have run into pegged to bar stools in AC drinking there life away.

Someone once told me that "money does not make a man", and they were right. The lack of money however, sure does drive some men to become bitter and harbor resentment.

Maybe you should talk to a few expats that you meet (not just guys in bars) to widen your horizon and get a better understanding. Hopefully it will enlighten you that not all expats are drunks, guys with grudges or living a hermit lifestyle.

Chicochulo
06-11-12, 18:11
I am seriously considering a move to Cebu. I like the slow pace, the tropical climate and of course the endless supply girls. However, I'm not one to sit around and do nothing. I am a certified teacher of English. I can see myself teaching Koreans, Japanese or anyone that needs to learn business English. I've been researching the various English school that exist in Cebu city but I haven't come to any conclusions yet. Have any of you expats had any experience with the ESL schools in Cebu? I'm looking for some guidance here. Apart from landing in Cebu and handing out my resume, can anyone share their experience, good bad or otherwise, with the world of language schools in the area?

CC

Stroker Ace88
06-12-12, 22:59
I am seriously considering a move to Cebu. I like the slow pace, the tropical climate and of course the endless supply girls. However, I'm not one to sit around and do nothing. I am a certified teacher of English. I can see myself teaching Koreans, Japanese or anyone that needs to learn business English. I've been researching the various English school that exist in Cebu city but I haven't come to any conclusions yet. Have any of you expats had any experience with the ESL schools in Cebu? I'm looking for some guidance here. Apart from landing in Cebu and handing out my resume, can anyone share their experience, good bad or otherwise, with the world of language schools in the area?

CCYou can forget about your plans of working in the Philippines until you have a permit to work inside the Philippines. I think most ESL teachers need a Alien Employment Permit (AEP). Any school that is willing to employ you will help to obtain the permit. The process takes 8-12 weeks and is valid for a period of 6months to a maximum of 2yrs. You will get paid local Filipino rates and NOT The wages that other ESL teachers in Thailand and Japan receive. Think around $10USD (450P) per day but I am just taking a shot in the dark at the rate.

All of the ESL schools that I am aware of in Cebu are geared towards teaching Korean and Japanese students so if you know some Korean or Japanese you might have a better chance. Most ESL jobs in the Philippines are filled by Filipino-filipinas.

Good luck with that.