PDA

View Full Version : Cebu Growth

Stroker Ace88
02-03-12, 02:59
another sign cebu is fast becoming the new manila, brand new shiny yellow lamborghini gallardo parked outside a well-known cebu hotel yesterday. sweet ride but with the traffic and road problems no way that car has seen excessive speed that it was designed for even if it's been driven on the straightaways around srp. :d

Starchild2012
02-05-12, 07:17
another sign cebu is fast becoming the new manila, brand new shiny yellow lamborghini gallardo parked outside a well-known cebu hotel yesterday. sweet ride but with the traffic and road problems no way that car has seen excessive speed that it was designed for even if it's been driven on the straightaways around srp. :dwell said. they made their millions from corrupt practices, and don't know what to do with that money, so they buy the most expensive vehicles on earth and don't care what the infrastructure looks like. its just a show off. just to get that feeling of being rich and made it. the story is far to common in india, where i come from, highest number of billionaires in asia are from india and is one of the most poorest countries on earth, yet, you could see high-end cars drive around ghettos of slum dog millionaire kinds.

90% of the wealth generated in third world countries are from shady dealings. tourists from first world countries sometimes get amazed how they do it. nothing special. its all black money. it will be around only for few months and then. would be shipped off to western countries, and the guy will buy another high end vehicles

FurryFriend
02-07-12, 07:49
This is one of the strangest forums on ISG, usually it's travelers sharing info and telling stories. Here lots of people living in cebu talking about their gfs or p4p girls.Despite being Philippine's second largest city, few tourists come to Cebu. You can tell by the tiny size of its "international" airport that Cebu isn't a tourist hotspot.

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/business/2011/08/04/tourist-arrivals-cebu-10-170984

As you can see, only about 700, 000 foreigners visit Cebu each year. Three quarters of that are from non-English speaking countries. So when it comes to English speaking tourists, we're looking at maybe 200, 000 tops per annum. By comparison, Hong Kong averages 200, 000 visitors each weekend.

Without much visitors, the only chatter you get are from expats. Understandably, expat chatter is usually less helpful or relevant for tourists.

If you expect Cebu to be like Manila or Angeles City, you'll be sorely disappointed. If you want a nonstop fuck-a-thon, you should give Cebu a pass. Cebu is best for relaxing and socializing with girls in a dating setting.

Sammon
02-07-12, 17:07
Despite being Philippine's second largest city, few tourists come to Cebu. You can tell by the tiny size of its "international" airport that Cebu isn't a tourist hotspot.

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/business/2011/08/04/tourist-arrivals-cebu-10-170984

As you can see, only about 700, 000 foreigners visit Cebu each year. Three quarters of that are from non-English speaking countries. So when it comes to English speaking tourists, we're looking at maybe 200, 000 tops per annum. By comparison, Hong Kong averages 200, 000 visitors each weekend.

Without much visitors, the only chatter you get are from expats. Understandably, expat chatter is usually less helpful or relevant for tourists.

If you expect Cebu to be like Manila or Angeles City, you'll be sorely disappointed. If you want a nonstop fuck-a-thon, you should give Cebu a pass. Cebu is best for relaxing and socializing with girls in a dating setting.These figures are misleading. Very few foreign Airlines go to Cebu mostly from Korea. These figures come from the immigration department. They only track through the papers we fill.

Lots of foreigners land in Manila and go to Cebu. I do the same. My number is not counted in this report.

FurryFriend
02-08-12, 00:51
These figures are misleading. Very few foreign Airlines go to Cebu mostly from Korea. These figures come from the immigration department. They only track through the papers we fill.

Lots of foreigners land in Manila and go to Cebu. I do the same. My number is not counted in this report.

The data referenced in the article is from the Department of Tourism (DOT) , not the Bureau of Immigration. It says so in the very first sentence of the article. So your assertion that airport arrival cards are used is incorrect.

Every time foreigners check into a hotel or fly (even domestically) , he is required to provide passport information to the vendor. This information is furnished to the DOT. I know the Philippines government is crappy, but I'm sure they know how many people goes where. This information is vital not just for national security, but to assist government in planning and policy-making.

I think anyone who's been to Cebu knows that the city is mostly devoid of Western tourists compared to other major Asian cities. You can tell simply by looking at its tiny airport and the lack of international direct flights.

FurryFriend
03-19-12, 11:27
I'm not sure where this post should go, so I'll post it under "Cebu Growth".

A much needed bus service is coming to Cebu in 2013!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cebu_Bus_Rapid_Transit_System

For those of you planning a first trip to Cebu, you'll soon realize that it's kinda hard to get around the city. The city's main mode of transport, the jeepney, is difficult for newbies to understand and use. There's no publish route maps, no schedules and no fixed jeepney stops.

So for tourists, taxis are the only realistic option to get around. Unfortunately, I didn't trust most taxi drivers. One-third of the time, the driver will attempt to drive off without turning on his meter and then overcharge me with a fixed rate at destination. That's why you must always insist on a metered fare as soon you hop on.

Transport in Cebu is about to get easier! In 2013, Cebu plans to start a bus service! No more relying on asshole taxi drivers. This link shows the proposed first route:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cd/Cebu_BRT_Route_Diagram.jpg

This route will make mongering very easy as the route passed through major hotels, Mango Square, Colon in downtown, Ayala Mall, Robinsons Mall and go-go bar areas. They're all exactly on the route or within a 10 minute walk from a bus stop.

They need to shoot a route out to Mandaue City, Lapu-Lapu and the airport. But I'm sure they'll do that in time.

Stroker Ace88
03-20-12, 02:09
I'm not sure where this post should go, so I'll post it under "Cebu Growth".

A much needed bus service is coming to Cebu in 2013!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cebu_Bus_Rapid_Transit_System

For those of you planning a first trip to Cebu, you'll soon realize that it's kinda hard to get around the city. The city's main mode of transport, the jeepney, is difficult for newbies to understand and use. There's no publish route maps, no schedules and no fixed jeepney stops.

So for tourists, taxis are the only realistic option to get around. Unfortunately, I didn't trust most taxi drivers. One-third of the time, the driver will attempt to drive off without turning on his meter and then overcharge me with a fixed rate at destination. That's why you must always insist on a metered fare as soon you hop on.

Transport in Cebu is about to get easier! In 2013, Cebu plans to start a bus service! No more relying on asshole taxi drivers. This link shows the proposed first route:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cd/Cebu_BRT_Route_Diagram.jpg

This route will make mongering very easy as the route passed through major hotels, Mango Square, Colon in downtown, Ayala Mall, Robinsons Mall and go-go bar areas. They're all exactly on the route or within a 10 minute walk from a bus stop.

They need to shoot a route out to Mandaue City, Lapu-Lapu and the airport. But I'm sure they'll do that in time.This proposed bus thing has been talked about forever but IMO will not be implemented. It was a plan thought up by former CC mayor Osmena but now that Rama is the mayor he shelved the plan. They do not like each other to put it mildly and all the talk and links to the proposed project was 2010 and earlier so no need to get your panties in a wad.

The fare will be more expensive than taking a jeep for most of the population as a result people will either ride a jeep or a taxi. The proposed bus system will be very expensive to build and require road widening and major re-working of the flow grid of CC traffic patterns. Never going to happen, atleast until Osmena gets back in the mayors seat.

I ride the jeep system in CC all the time and it's easy to get around, and you are wrong there are lots of jeepney stops. The signs can be seen on most jeepney routes and are set back from intersections. The signs are there but most people do not follow the rules so they request to get on almost anywhere. Again depends where CITOM is hiding. Most jeep drivers are pretty good about picking up and dropping off passengers.

You do not trust taxi drivers in Cebu City? Problems with taxi drivers are few and far between. Of course there are exceptions, but over all most are ok. Always be courteous to taxi drivers in CC! It's fairly common for off-duty PNP officers from places such as Naga, Carcar and Sogod to take a second job driving a taxi in or around CC.

FF, how many times have you visited Cebu City?

SergeantRay
03-20-12, 02:29
I think the main problem with Cebu transportation is the lack of a freeway. In the US (or any Western country) , you'd have a main freeway traversing the city. Cebu City has none, so you're stuck at light after light after light. Taxi drivers are good at going through odd side streets to get around this.

FurryFriend
03-20-12, 04:14
the fare will be more expensive than taking a jeep for most of the population as a result people will either ride a jeep or a taxi. the proposed bus system will be very expensive to build and require road widening and major re-working of the flow grid of cc traffic patterns. never going to happen, atleast until osmena gets back in the mayors seat.i have no problem paying more than jeepnies as long as it's less than taxis. however, for me, it's less about the money and more about my distrust of taxi drivers. i'm not going to waste time justifying my distrust with personal antidotes. you'll just have to take it or leave it.

there's also something desirable about established bus routes where i can go online and plan my trip, even in my undies back home in america. clearly, i'm not the only one who feels this way since the proposed bus system has been "talked about forever".

i'm sure for someone who lives there or travels there frequently, it becomes easy to ride the jeepney. but the city has to think about infrequent visitors or newbies. in addition, two-third of visitors to the philippines don't speak english as a first language. so it may be hard for them to figure out the jeepney system by asking strangers.

lastly, there is something uncivil about guys standing on street corners barking loudly for people to board the jeepney. and the jeepney usually moves only when reasonably filled, which lowers its speed and dependability. any modern city has a bus system. you don't see citizens in world class cities commuting to work in modified military transport. right now, tourism stakeholders are working overtime trying to promote travel to the philippines. having a modern image by building modern infrastructure seems pretty important.

Stroker Ace88
03-21-12, 01:00
i have no problem paying more than jeepnies as long as it's less than taxis. however, for me, it's less about the money and more about my distrust of taxi drivers. i'm not going to waste time justifying my distrust with personal antidotes. you'll just have to take it or leave it.

there's also something desirable about established bus routes where i can go online and plan my trip, even in my undies back home in america. clearly, i'm not the only one who feels this way since the proposed bus system has been "talked about forever".

i'm sure for someone who lives there or travels there frequently, it becomes easy to ride the jeepney. but the city has to think about infrequent visitors or newbies. in addition, two-third of visitors to the philippines don't speak english as a first language. so it may be hard for them to figure out the jeepney system by asking strangers.

lastly, there is something uncivil about guys standing on street corners barking loudly for people to board the jeepney. and the jeepney usually moves only when reasonably filled, which lowers its speed and dependability. any modern city has a bus system. you don't see citizens in world class cities commuting to work in modified military transport. right now, tourism stakeholders are working overtime trying to promote travel to the philippines. having a modern image by building modern infrastructure seems pretty important.you're joking right? you want a third-world country like the philippines to invest heavily in a imo cebu white elephant transport system it doesn't need and get into debt problems so you and other one time visitors have something nice and shiny to ride around in?

i ride in taxi's and jeeps in cebu all the time with very few problems. i take the proper precautions and it's all good. dunno why you can't do that.

geesh you better stay at home in your undies where its safe and smog-free because the bus project you are so excited about will never be built.

Stroker Ace88
03-21-12, 01:20
I think the main problem with Cebu transportation is the lack of a freeway. In the US (or any Western country) , you'd have a main freeway traversing the city. Cebu City has none, so you're stuck at light after light after light. Taxi drivers are good at going through odd side streets to get around this.Compairing a city in the USA to Cebu is like comparing apples to oranges. First world versus third world. The Philippines can't afford to fix the roads they already have so how can they possibly afford to build an elevated or land expropriated freeway?

FurryFriend
03-21-12, 04:00
You're joking right? You want a third-world Country like the Philippines to invest heavily in a IMO Cebu white elephant transport system it doesn't need and get into debt problems so YOU and other one time visitors have something nice and shiny to ride around in?

I ride in taxi's and jeeps in Cebu all the time with very few problems. I take the proper precautions and it's all good. Dunno why you can't do that.

Geesh you better stay at home in your undies where its safe and smog-free because the bus project you are so excited about will never be built.Coincidentally, the article below was published in yesterday's edition of the Cebu Daily News.

It's a travesty your obvious and qualified expertise in urban planning and municipal financing wasn't consulted for the article. How can Cebu elected officials, city engineers and The World Bank possibly match your expertise?

===============================

Bus system for city 'better than jeepneys'

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/164461/bus-system-for-city-'better-than-jeepneys'

Last Friday, the proposal for a BRT [Bus Rapid Transit of Cebu], which would cost $195 million to be completed by 2020, was endorsed by a committee as a preliminary step to approval of the Regional Development Council meeting later this month.

'It's similar to our jeepney system now, but much better, ' said Engineer Paul Villarete, a staunch BRT advocate, in his presentation to the RDC-Infrastructure and Development Committee.

The BRT system will have 190 buses that will be served by 411 drivers.

'BRT in Cebu is deliverable physically, institutionally and financially, ' the report said.

'It will offer a new form of public transport that has the potential to significantly enhance the mobility of those that live and work in Cebu benefiting growth in the local economy and offering significant environmental benefits. '

Stroker Ace88
03-22-12, 05:42
Coincidentally, the article below was published in yesterday's edition of the Cebu Daily News.

It's a travesty your obvious and qualified expertise in urban planning and municipal financing wasn't consulted for the article. How can Cebu elected officials, city engineers and The World Bank possibly match your expertise?

===============================

Bus system for city 'better than jeepneys'

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/164461/bus-system-for-city-

'better-than-jeepneys'

Last Friday, the proposal for a BRT [Bus Rapid Transit of Cebu], which would cost $195 million to be completed by 2020, was endorsed by a committee as a preliminary step to approval of the Regional Development Council meeting later this month.

'It's similar to our jeepney system now, but much better, ' said Engineer Paul Villarete, a staunch BRT advocate, in his presentation to the RDC-Infrastructure and Development Committee.

The BRT system will have 190 buses that will be served by 411 drivers.

'BRT in Cebu is deliverable physically, institutionally and financially, ' the report said.

'It will offer a new form of public transport that has the potential to significantly enhance the mobility of those that live and work in Cebu benefiting growth in the local economy and offering significant environmental benefits. 'Wow, just from reading an article you really do have your panties in a wad, LOL. You must be a very sexually frustrated engineer.

The article basically says if you read through all the bola, some bright-eyed engineer with pipe dreams in his head wants Cebu to come up to World standards and build a BRT system at a whopping cost of 195million DOLLARS. Only problem, he left out some BIG ROADBLOCKS.

The jeepney unions and some big private taxi operators like KEN taxi (and alot of others) will create some big stink and pay off the right people if ever this project is even close to being approved. But until now they know there is no chance the bus project will happen so they don't get there panties in a wad over nothing di ba.

Next on the proposed route there will have to be ALOT of expropriated lots. Both private homes and businesses that need to be bought out ON TOP of the 195 million DOLLAR price tag. That dramatically increases the pricetag and is not included in the price to build the BRT system. If there is a church or school that has to be relocated as a result of the BRT expect major major sh*t to break loose, but no worries from anyone.

In the article no city officials were named specifically, only a committee to receive the pipe dream presentation. If ever you hear the CC Mayor or Gwen come out in favor then you know the project has a viable chance at ever being built. But with so many challenges including a huge pricetag that if the Philippine government and local officials had to pay for the project they just might gargle drano. It means the chances are slim to none it will get built, and slim just left town.

Of course if someone like the World Bank does step up to the plate and wants to pay for the entire project, and both the local officials and corrupt businessmen smell a way to get there slice of the money it will get built. But that's the only way it will ever get built. If the local officials can line there pockets with bus ticket cash instead of taxi and jeepney kickbacks.

As to your thought I was not consulted, gee you are right I feel kinda slighted. LOL. But I do not feel so bad, after all if you think I feel any amount of sadness you are wrong. I don't get my panties in a bunch when some guy who has spent less than one week total in Cebu wants to TRY to enlighten me on local politics.

FurryFriend
03-22-12, 07:17
Of course if someone like the World Bank does step upThey already have.

http://www.worldbank.org/projects/P119343/cebu-bus-rapid-transit-brt-demonstration-project?lang=en

But wait. You should already know that, because you're so qualified in urban planning, municipal financing and Cebu city politics. Elected officials and journalists should be crazy not to consult you on anything related to city planning.

Here's the World Bank feasibility report on the BRT. I'm sure the 2. 5 million people of greater Cebu would be dying to see your comments and corrections:

http://www-wds.worldbank.org/external/default/WDSContentServer/WDSP/IB/2011/03/02/000001843_20110303102202/Rendered/PDF/PID0February010Final0v2.pdf

Sammon
03-22-12, 16:25
I think the main problem with Cebu transportation is the lack of a freeway. In the US (or any Western country) , you'd have a main freeway traversing the city. Cebu City has none, so you're stuck at light after light after light. Taxi drivers are good at going through odd side streets to get around this.Forget about freeway. They are still worried about connecting all the islands with a suspension bridge. Cannot find the money. Cebu city is not that bad. Except rush hour traffic moves good. Have you ever tried Long island expressway during rush hour? Even in western countries with freeway system things can be slow.

To cebu credit I have not seen the degradation like in Manila.

Stroker Ace88
03-23-12, 05:27
They already have.

http://www.worldbank.org/projects/P119343/cebu-bus-rapid-transit-brt-demonstration-project?lang=en

But wait. You should already know that, because you're so qualified in urban planning, municipal financing and Cebu city politics. Elected officials and journalists should be crazy not to consult you on anything related to city planning.

Here's the World Bank (WB) feasibility report on the BRT. I'm sure the 2. 5 million people of greater Cebu would be dying to see your comments and corrections:

http://www-wds.worldbank.org/external/default/WDSContentServer/WDSP/IB/2011/03/02/000001843_20110303102202/Rendered/PDF/PID0February010Final0v2.pdfWhat don't you understand? All this is just talk and pipe dreams. The initial PFS (Pre-Feasability Study) is just one big circle-jerk. Look at what the World Bank has to say about the risks involved in the project.

" #10) The key risks to the project are at the institutional and implementation agency levels. These are perceived high risk of corruption in the transport sector, weak capacity and governance, potential opposition from the informal transport sector, people to be resettled and proponents of a light rail system for Cebu, and given that this the first BRT project in the Philippines, the lack of clear institutional arraingements defining the roles of the national and local governments in project implementation, ownership, operation and management. Another important risk at this stage is the uncertainty as to whether the ulimate borrower will be DoTC or Cebu City."

I think the World Bank document was spot on. Geeshh when even the Province of Cebu and the Mayor of Cebu City can't agree on who legally owns Fuente Osmena circle you know getting them to agree on anything will be impossible! That park has only been around for 100yrs or so. What makes you think building a brand new 500million USD BRT system in Cebu and borrowing tens of millions of USD's, relocating thousands of people, buying up buildings, widening roads and pissing off the taxi and jeepney drivers will be something a elected official will be interested in doing? The status quo is much more appealing instead of unemployment di ba. You really have no clue about the way things work in the Philippines.

The WB understands the HUGE risks and undertaking this project will involve and they, like I, know it has a snowballs chance on Mango Avenue of ever getting off the ground atleast in it's current form. I outlined all the same roadblocks to the project in my previous posts on this thread. If you notice the WB funding is approved but local and Private-Public Partnership (PPP) funds have yet to be found. The project was initiated by the WB years ago and still has no closing date.

FF you fail to realize, this plan calls for the construction and implementation of a flyover (overpass) on every one of the 25 stops and currently there is a big fight in Cebu over the proposed construction of just one flyover on the corner of Mango and Gorordo Avenue. FF you really are the definition of an internet troll. You read alot of crap online but when it comes to knowing what's going on in Cebu you have no clue at all. Maybe that has alot to do with you spending a few days ever in Cebu. Must have been some very educational days LOL.

IMO I can see the only potential place a BRT or LRT could or would ever be built is along the SRP road from Consulacion past Radisson Blu and going out towards the new SM Seaside mall which is surrently under construction. That route makes alot more sense than building the proposed phase one Talamban-Ayala-Bulacao, as the SRP road is very wide and somewhat straight in most sections.

Ok I said all I will say on this subject because frankly I'm tired of having to educate FF on a daily basis about the way of life in the Philippines, including politics and the realities in Cebu for both the average person and the elite. I will not feed the troll anymore.

Stroker Ace88
03-23-12, 05:38
Forget about freeway. They are still worried about connecting all the islands with a suspension bridge. Cannot find the money. Cebu city is not that bad. Except rush hour traffic moves good. Have you ever tried Long island expressway during rush hour? Even in western countries with freeway system things can be slow.

To cebu credit I have not seen the degradation like in Manila.Yah there were whispers awhile back of building a super long bridge from Mactan to Bohol, thus linking both islands. There is also talk of building an under sea tunnel from Cebu City to Cordova if MCIA will ever be relocated there. But again it's all mostly pipe dreams and talk without the money to back it up.

FurryFriend
06-07-12, 03:22
In what must be a crushing embarrassment for naysayers of the proposed Cebu Bus Rapid Transport system, the Philippine government has opened up the bidding to private firms to construct Cebu's first bus system. Once again people who are forward-looking and rational will triumph over people who wish to live in the Dark Ages.

================================

Terminal, Bus Rapid Transport start this year.

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/2012/06/06/terminal-bus-rapid-transport-start-year-225408

A NEW terminal building at Mactan Airport and the Cebu Bus Rapid Transport (BRT) system are among the projects the National Government will roll out this year, a Malacañang official said.

The buses are stairless and passengers pay at specially designed bus stops.

The BRT system in SRP, an economic zone, is expected to be implemented in 2014.

Stroker Ace88
06-26-12, 22:12
In what must be a crushing embarrassment for naysayers of the proposed Cebu Bus Rapid Transport system, the Philippine government has opened up the bidding to private firms to construct Cebu's first bus system. Once again people who are forward-looking and rational will triumph over people who wish to live in the Dark Ages.

================================

Terminal, Bus Rapid Transport start this year.

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/2012/06/06/terminal-bus-rapid-transport-start-year-225408

A NEW terminal building at Mactan Airport and the Cebu Bus Rapid Transport (BRT) system are among the projects the National Government will roll out this year, a Malacañang official said.

The buses are stairless and passengers pay at specially designed bus stops.

The BRT system in SRP, an economic zone, is expected to be implemented in 2014.FF,

You are stuborn and an epic 'tard. You have only visited CC once and know only what you read online about the Philippines.

First see my posts below. I stated months ago that the BRT system will be built along the SRP. There is not alot of doubt since there is very little local land that has to be bought and no road widening to build the BRT.

Second, the BRT is in the PRE-FEASIBILITY STAGE. The government has NOT opened bidding for the CC BRT. There is alot of meetings and negotiations that has to take place before any work will ever begin in the heart of CC. You quickly forget that the main plan is to build around 26 flyovers and widen some of the major roads in Cebu. This whole pipe dream is being pushed by International companies located outside the Philippines that smell some World Bank funds thrown around in a PPP free-for-all. The Cebu City mayor and council have approved only ONE flyover for 2012. The one at Mango-Cuenco. The other one that DOTC officials wanted to build was at the Mango-Gorordo intersection and that will not be built as proposed by officials from the DOTC and instead a tunnel is being discussed.

You do not know anything about CC politics. The mayor and several citizens groups are opposed to the BRT plan. They have to approve the BRT for any work to begin. The plan in it's current form will not happen IMHO. The BRT NGO's want to use the wide Osmena-Jones boulevard for the BRT. The local opposition told them no it will destroy the sight-lines from the capitol. BRT officials have now started to talk about using F. Ramos instead which would be a disaster and not very effective.

The NGO's and all the International corporations who stand to profit from the BRT don't care about traffic flow or functionality or even number of riders per year. They just want to get paid for the construction and get there yearly percentage and the Cebu City citizens can deal with the lasting effects of this white elephant.

Locals who can afford it will continue to take a taxi or there own car. Locals who are poor will not be able to pay for the BRT fare of 30-60p per person to get somewhere. Most will continue to ride the PUJ's at a cost of 7. 5p-12p per ride.

Recent developments at CC hall have hushed the BRT discussion. Cebu City is in serious debt over the loan they took out from the Japanese to build the SRP some years ago. Recent Yen-Peso forex fluctuations have increased the annual debt payments to 589 millionP. An increase of 300percent per year since the loan was issued back in 1995. The city will have to keep paying until 2020 for the loan to be repayed in full, but the number of years will most likely be increased if the Yen keeps on rising.

Personally I do not think the BRT is a good idea. If a BRT system was built anywhere in a Western country, it would be a good thing, an improvement. But this is the Philippines where everything is a struggle, everything is backwards, poorly maintained or not maintained at all. The BRT will be over priced, poorly managed and not alot of locals will opt to use the BRT because of the increased fare. On alot of the routes one lane of the road in both directions will be a reserved BRT bus lane. How will the BRT officials keep the local drivers out of those lanes? Yah I thought so, just one more lane of traffic gridlock with big half empty buses added to the mix.

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/2012/06/27/public-works-department-approves-1-2-flyovers-228934

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/2012/06/27/empty-spaces-srp-worry-lender-228923

FurryFriend
07-17-12, 04:34
In another absolutely embarrassing update for naysayers of Cebu's bus system (BRT) , the city has started issuing warnings about construction of the BRT and its impact on disturbances, detours and pollution.

Naysayers have touted their feeble "expertise" in claiming the BRT will never be built. Many naysayers are predicted to continue denying the existence of the BRT even after buses start plying their routes.

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/2012/07/17/cebu-city-told-get-ready-bus-transit-project-232357

Stroker Ace88
07-19-12, 04:40
In another absolutely embarrassing update for naysayers of Cebu's bus system (BRT) , the city has started issuing warnings about construction of the BRT and its impact on disturbances, detours and pollution.

Naysayers have touted their feeble "expertise" in claiming the BRT will never be built. Many naysayers are predicted to continue denying the existence of the BRT even after buses start plying their routes.

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/2012/07/17/cebu-city-told-get-ready-bus-transit-project-232357Where did it say the city has started to issue warnings about construction? I think you need some glasses. No such warning has been issued go back and read the link again.

Cebu City council has remained quiet for the most part about potential BRT and LRT systems in and around CC. Mayor Rama made positive comments after attending a recent meeting in which finally the proposed BRT pre-feasability plan was presented. However later in the week Rama also made comments that Cebu City's main priority will be road widening and dealing with drainage issues not the BRT. Rama also revealed that flyovers are an eye-sore and not needed in Cebu. The proposed BRT will have 25 flyovers.

All the noise so far has been from groups trying to get the BRT built so they can get there share of the WB money, and that includes a marketing firm which has been sending stories to the local press to try and gather support for the BRT among the locals. When the real truth comes out about the cost to Cebu City to re-route electric lines, sewage lines, water lines and the real cost of a single BRT ride is revealed the vast number of locals will not support the BRT project.

The plan also calls for road widening and the destruction of homes and businesses on a few key streets around Cebu. There are a few very old and well established churches that will have to be moved. Try telling the local priest you want to destroy there church and see what happens. You think the PNP and local police have a fight on there hands when it's time to clear out a few squatters? You haven't seen anything if you try and move a church.

Just wondering. You have been pushing hard for the BRT both on ISG and all over the net. Do you have any financial benefit coming to you if the BRT gets built?

FurryFriend
07-26-12, 04:18
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/237087/brt-exhibit-draws-public-interest-in-project

Naysayers of Cebu's BRT (or city bus system) continue to be thoroughly embarrassed and discredited as the city opened a public exhibition to advertise the upcoming new bus system to be known as TransCebu. If the BRT will "never be built", as foolishly claimed by naysayers, the city clearly wouldn't devote public resources and time to go through the hassles of a public relations campaign.

Naysayers are predicted to continue denying the existence of the BRT even when standing in line for a BRT bus. This leads many to believe whether naysayers who claim to live in Cebu might really be living on a farm in Kansas.

BRT exhibit draws public interest in project.

Cebu Daily News

8:14 am | Thursday, July 26th. 2012

THE Bus Rapid Transit project exhibit in the City Hall yesterday drew interested from curious onlookers.

The project exhibit is part of the information drive to educate the public on the proposed modern mass transport system in Cebu City.

According to proponents the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) will be called TransCebu buses.

These buses with a length of about 14 meters will ply busy city roads on dedicated lanes and elevated terminals.

'The exhibit will make people understand how BRT works in Cebu, ' said Jim Bradley, a member of the BRT feasibility study team.

After viewing the exhibit, Alberto Amora. 60, said that he would prefer the BRT over jeepneys.

'Maayo ug nindot ang BRT kontra anang jeep—mga abusado kaayo, ' Amora said.

(This is good. The BRT is better than jeepneys whose drivers are very abusive.)

Amora, said that though BRT will not pass through his residence in Labangon, he would still prefer to ride it even if it takes him another ride to reach Mambaling where the bus passes.

Phase 1 of the proposed BRT will have the following route: Bulacao – Ayala – Talamban, traversing N. Bacalso Avenue, Osmeña Boulevard, Escario Street and the Banilad-Talamban road.

Fritzie Gonzaga, member of the feasibility study team said that there are 240 buses initially be operating on the first quarter of 2015.

The Phase 2 route would cover the South Road Properties (SRP).

Linda Alfaro. 53, a realty agent of San Remo Oasis of Filinvest said the BRT will help her get more clients especially if phase 2 will be implemented.

'Ang concern sa akong clients kay wala'why jeep moagi sa SRP, ' Alfaro said.

(The concern of my clients is that jeepneys do not ply the SRP.) Alfaro also said that it will lessen their transportation expenses.

'Mas maayo ni kay maka save ta kaysa sa taxi, ' she said.

(This is better as we can save compared to taking the taxi.)

Colin Bradley, lead consultant of the BRT project said that they are already wrapping up their feasibility study for phase 1 of the project.

They are set to finish it by end of August and submit it to the national government and the World Bank.

A loan agreement for the $185 million project may be out by January next year.

'The project funding from the World Bank, I think is good as approved, ' Brader told Cebu Daily News.

Stroker Ace88
07-27-12, 05:59
Cebu City mayor Rama has put his foot down and ordered all road work that is not approved personally by the mayor and sanctioned by city council to stop. Seems Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) started to do road work and did not notify or consult Rama. Big mistake.

"The mayor warned the agency against defying his order, adding that they will have to answer to him."

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/2012/07/27/rama-suspends-road-works-234272

FurryFriend
08-29-12, 00:52
In another sign that plans for a Cebu bus system is coming to fruition, the proposed 2013 city budget includes a nearly P1 billion allocation for various related projects, such as road widening and right-of-way acquisition.

http://www.bworldonline.com/content.php?section=Economy&title=Work-on-bus-system-in-Cebu-starts-next-year&id=57413

Wicked Roger
08-30-12, 01:07
Cebu City mayor Rama has put his foot down and ordered all road work that is not approved personally by the mayor and sanctioned by city council to stop. Seems Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) started to do road work and did not notify or consult Rama. Big mistake.

"The mayor warned the agency against defying his order, adding that they will have to answer to him."

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/2012/07/27/rama-suspends-road-works-234272This happened in another area recently close to Cebu. Another mayor complaining about the same thing. Speaking to some locals a lot is due to the fact that the local boys can't get their noses in the trough etc so are missing out on rorting the system hence their annoyance. Nothing to do with helping the citizens just themsleves (so what is new?)

Another interesting case to read is that of the Cebu governor and land that was underwater. Amazing how one can grow Cebu into an industrial area when the land is flooded (although it is being backfilled at an enormoius cost and with some arguments over the budget!). Google this as it is amusing as everyone blames everyone else for the decision to give the landowner nearly 100 million pesos (and rumours of nice commisions). But as the governor is running for senate soon guess where the mud won't stick.

As for growth and future. Lexmark won't be part of that. 1700 jobs to go.

http://www.malaya.com.ph/index.php/business/business-news/11883-lexmark-to-close-cebu-plant

If the politicians etc could get their nose out of the trough long enough they could make a positive contribution to growth here but then again this is PI and that is as likely as me becoming bakla LOL

Stroker Ace88
08-30-12, 04:00
This happened in another area recently close to Cebu. Another mayor complaining about the same thing. Speaking to some locals a lot is due to the fact that the local boys can't get their noses in the trough etc so are missing out on rorting the system hence their annoyance. Nothing to do with helping the citizens just themsleves (so what is new?)

Another interesting case to read is that of the Cebu governor and land that was underwater. Amazing how one can grow Cebu into an industrial area when the land is flooded (although it is being backfilled at an enormoius cost and with some arguments over the budget!). Google this as it is amusing as everyone blames everyone else for the decision to give the landowner nearly 100 million pesos (and rumours of nice commisions). But as the governor is running for senate soon guess where the mud won't stick.

As for growth and future. Lexmark won't be part of that. 1700 jobs to go.

http://www.malaya.com.ph/index.php/business/business-news/11883-lexmark-to-close-cebu-plant

If the politicians etc could get their nose out of the trough long enough they could make a positive contribution to growth here but then again this is PI and that is as likely as me becoming bakla LOLAgreed. The real root of the problem starts when the local officials see major work projects that's approved and fully funded by Manila or by PPP ventures (Public Private Partnership) without the local officials getting there greedy little hands on the funding. And of course knowing about it in advance so they can spring for a tarpoline or billboard with there face on it proclaiming how much they are improving things. What a joke.

There was a Chinese-Cebu PPP venture announced where the Chinese agreed to widen and concrete the roadway starting at the Capitol building in Cebu City and ending in San Remigio. There's a mine in that area and road widening would mean faster access. When smaller cities and barangays figured out the work would go ahead without funds being transfered to the local officials alot of the cities on the route instructed the PNP to halt construction in there jurisdiction 'until the proper procedures where followed', tsk tsk.

Yep Lexmark is planning to sell it's ink jet printer division, which is a smart move since that technology is older. When I heard about it on CNBC yesterday I was surprised. They opperate for peanuts over in the Mactan Export Processing Zone (MEPZ). Now only the bigger companies of Timex, Fairchild Semi and Taiyo Yuden are left there to keep the locals employed.

Yes Gwen is running for a Senate seat and she left behind some graft charges relating to a few land deals. She will quietly pay a few key officials and that case will fade away. She doesn't seem worried LOL.

Stroker Ace88
12-10-12, 20:37
In another sign that plans for a Cebu bus system is coming to fruition, the proposed 2013 city budget includes a nearly P1 billion allocation for various related projects, such as road widening and right-of-way acquisition.[SNIPSeems furryfriend thinks a budget proposal is a done deal. Lmao if only my bank account worked that way I could just 'propose' a balance increase and presto the funds would appear. A few months back the troll boasted how the 2013 proposed budget would include one billion pesos for road projects and he just assumed Both the budget would be passed as is, and that the work was related to the BRT. Both are false and shows that this troll has no clue how things work in the real Cebu.

First the 2013 CC budget has not been approved and some 2012 spending has been frozen because allocations have run dry. That happens every year and 2012 is no exception. Internal bickering and family vendettas are behind this and as the 2013 elections approach all sides want to have something to hold up to the voters to prove that the other one is to blame.

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/2012/11/06/mayor-blames-council-extra-budget-hangs-251857

Next, when it comes to the BRT. The BRT has been 'shelved' by Noy-Noy Aquino himself. He is the President of the Philippines and head of the NEDA, in case FF was wondering why his name rang a bell. He rightfully 'shelved' the project for being a dumb, wildly expensive and unnecessary experiment that both the Cebu residents and the taxpayers of the Philippines would have to carry with them for the next 30+ years. Somewhere out there FF is crying, pounding his feet and pouting. For sure FF you poor sod, you had a financial stake some where in the proposed BRT because all over the net you were pushing so hard.

Seems the President (along with many many others) came to the same conclusion that I did, and found it strange that so many outside forces were pushing hard to build the BRT without proper planning, consultation, cost projections, environmental studies or cost-benefit analysis. The proposed 10billion peso BRT would in-fact cost much more to build and operate and when Noy-Noy did the math it was clear the project should never be built in it's current form.

While I believe the BRT is a huge waste of money and will ruin Cebu City and increase traffic gridlock, not decrease it. I am in favor of an over head monorail system similar to the BTS in Bangkok or the Sky Train in Vancouver. The over head route is the way to go IMO not busses on the ground. Anyone who has been stuck in traffic in Manila surrounded by hundreds of busses all belching clouds of pitch black diesel realizes they are not the way to go.

So the next step will be who gets elected CC mayor in 2013. Chances are good Type 'O' will get his chair back. After that we will see what happens with the proposed BRT. One thing is clear, as proposed the BRT is dead and no matter what Noy-Noy (who is in office until 2016) will not approve it.

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/opinion/2012/12/04/barrita-brt-hits-roadblock-256684

Frenzy3
12-11-12, 03:19
The troll is posting on another forum telling the guys who live here he knows more about Philippines than them, including me. He finally made his trip here but now claims it is 3 trips and is now a expert in all things.