PDA

View Full Version : Cebu Taxis

Brymor
12-31-11, 04:23
Barba your advice and that from (some) of the others posters is correct and with merit. I guess I came here this time (my third trip to Cebu this year) with a less tolerant attitude than I normally have. One stupid poster suggested I physically abuse girls, I would not even condescend a reply to him, but I admit my tolerance threshold levels to the bullshit, scams and stupidity are much lower than normal and I realise this is the wrong attitude to have here.

I arranged to meet two sisters the other day for the first time and agreed to pay their taxi on arrival at the hotel. The taxi driver pulled into the side entrance of the Waterfront where I was waiting and switched off his meter before I had a chance to see how much he had clocked up. He then demanded 150 pesos from me. Under normal circumstances I would have just told him politely that I would not pay for a trip that I could not see the cost of and called the hotel security to deal with the idiot. This time I got into a shouting match with him, found out from the girls that the fare was 70 pesos and threw the exact money at him before leaving with the girls to go back into the hotel.

Being cool and level headed is the same advice I would dish out to newbies here visiting for the first time and avoid confrontations. I should perhaps heed my own advice in future!

Frenzy3
12-31-11, 10:22
You stay in waterfront at $70 a night asking for girls from the slum who live peso to peso every day. You have a argument with a taxi driver over 80 peso less than $2. Do you not see the irony in it.

No wonder you complain about the girls that you get they are on to you. As the other guy said I would watch your back you are going to get paid in full and life is cheap here and if no one helps the police no one gets charged. I will mention again they have big families and the family help each other. I rather keep every one happy as I know there will be a relative who has the right contacts. Also I mentioned before the locals read this forum too, calling them farm animals is not a good idea.

You also know what mort means maybe that why you picked that nickname.

Brymor
12-31-11, 12:58
You stay in waterfront at $70 a night asking for girls from the slum who live peso to peso every day. You have a argument with a taxi driver over 80 peso less than $2. Do you not see the irony in it.

No wonder you complain about the girls that you get they are on to you. As the other guy said I would watch your back you are going to get paid in full and life is cheap here and if no one helps the police no one gets charged. I will mention again they have big families and the family help each other. I rather keep every one happy as I know there will be a relative who has the right contacts. Also I mentioned before the locals read this forum too, calling them farm animals is not a good idea.

You also know what mort means maybe that why you picked that nickname.Strange comments from someone who lives in the Philippines? Do you think I should have let the driver scam me, whether it is 50 pesos or 500. We will have to agree to disagree here, I always tip taxi drivers as I do waiters and anyone else who gives a good service, including the taxi driver with the death wish this morning who was intent on either trying to kill me or make me shit in my pants.

I don't like being cheated and I really don't see where I choose to stay or how much I pay for a room is of any relevance to a taxi driver trying to cheat me.

I would be interested to know what other members would think and do in a similar situation? Tell me Frenzy3 would you get into a frenzy in the same situation or meekly just pay up and let him scam you?

Frenzy3
12-31-11, 13:50
Strange comments from someone who lives in the Philippines? Do you think I should have let the driver scam me, whether it is 50 pesos or 500. We will have to agree to disagree here, I always tip taxi drivers as I do waiters and anyone else who gives a good service, including the taxi driver with the death wish this morning who was intent on either trying to kill me or make me shit in my pants.

I don't like being cheated and I really don't see where I choose to stay or how much I pay for a room is of any relevance to a taxi driver trying to cheat me.

I would be interested to know what other members would think and do in a similar situation? Tell me Frenzy3 would you get into a frenzy in the same situation or meekly just pay up and let him scam you?I do not stay in waterfront I live in the slum area so it does not happen often. The last time it did I haggled for a joke and just paid him the 100 peso it was 70 on the meter, if he asked for 150 I still would have paid it. He knew the girl was there to sex me and she had no money so what ever she told him I was not party to. It was not 500 he asked for and since in your case he picked her up from the slum and went waterfront and she had no money be glad he took her rather than him think next time just leave the girl.

I have taken taxi in Cebu where the fare was 120 and I only had 100 or 1000 and the guy just takes 100. So it works both ways.

I also thought you blocked me as last time I told you off about boasting that you made you gf walk from ayala to waterfront in the heat of the day because some girl lied to your gf.

I have no ill feellings towards you but I just let you see how I see what you post comes across as. You probably are nice to the girls but talk tough here. Again I ask mongers treat the local girls with respect it pays back more if you do.

I am no angel but I have 4 happy gf live with me who get me girls every month. You can see by the photos I post they send me the good ones. Yes I get a few average and ugly but I always nice to them and often the next one makes up for it.

Brymor
12-31-11, 14:06
I do not stay in waterfront I live in the slum area so it does not happen often. The last time it did I haggled for a joke and just paid him the 100 peso it was 70 on the meter, if he asked for 150 I still would have paid it. He knew the girl was there to sex me and she had no money so what ever she told him I was not party to. It was not 500 he asked for and since in your case he picked her up from the slum and went waterfront and she had no money be glad he took her rather than him think next time just leave the girl.

I have taken taxi in Cebu where the fare was 120 and I only had 100 or 1000 and the guy just takes 100. So it works both ways.

I also thought you blocked me as last time I told you off about boasting that you made you gf walk from ayala to waterfront in the heat of the day because some girl lied to your gf.

I have no ill feellings towards you but I just let you see how I see what you post comes across as. You probably are nice to the girls but talk tough here. Again I ask mongers treat the local girls with respect it pays back more if you do.

I am no angel but I have 4 happy gf live with me who get me girls every month. You can see by the photos I post they send me the good ones. Yes I get a few average and ugly but I always nice to them and often the next one makes up for it.Frenzy3 you are correct I did block you but then trying to read a chain of posts where you have contributed tends to put things out of context. Anyway I should have mentioned at the time my GF was forced to walk back WITH me and not alone, as I pretty much walk everywhere I can anyway but it was still a punishment for her. Like I said about the taxi driver, we really will have to agree to disagree on this one, although I think that your viewpoint and stance will be shared by a minority. As far as I am concerned it is primarily a matter of principle and it is immaterial to me whether the driver has picked up the girl from a 5 star hotel or a slum area. He knew a foreigner was waiting at the other end to pay the meter, he tried to rip me off and I stood my ground. The irony of the whole thing is that I probably would have give him the same amount in a tip had he let me see the meter rather than trying to inflate the price by 50%

PS I know you live in Cebu, and that you are an Aussie, so was it you I was chatting with at the bar in Juliannas at 2am the other night? I met an Aussie guy there and we shared a few beers and if it was you, you were with two girls? Now that would be ironic if we had already met in person and hadn't realised, don't you think?

Stroker Ace88
12-31-11, 17:49
Taxi drivers in Cebu used to be among the best in the Philippines. They were honest, not too many problems with meters and they usually take the best route and would ask you if it was ok to take an alternate route due to heavy traffic. My recent observations tend to think some drivers are adopting bad habits.

It can be difficult to get a taxi from Cebu City to Shangri-La so I usually make a deal with the drivers which is fair for both of us. I tell the driver when we get to the resort if there are people waiting to get in the taxi I will give the driver 50p additional. But if there is no one waiting I will give him the 100p additional most ask. That's really the best way to resolve things and secure the ride to Mactan which can take 40min-1hr from Mango.

I wanted to take a taxi from Ayala to Shangri-La Mactan mid-afternoon. My GF talked to the driver and he said ok to the fare but wanted 50p extra so that sounded ok and we get in. Once the taxi was rolling out past the Ayala parking garage exit ramp the driver changed his ask price to 200p additional. I opened the door to the taxi as it was moving slow in traffic and demanded the driver to stop. I got out in the middle of traffic and told my GF to get out of the taxi and we went back to the line. Now the driver was out both the fare and the time he wasted in the line.

I took a taxi from SM going to Mango. I looked for the meter when I got in but couldn't see it. The meter was located low and behind the shifter and his hand was blocking. I knew something was up so I asked to see the meter and the driver looked puzzled and looked around for 15 seconds so I physically touched his hand to reveal the meter and it was 54p. When I asked him to clear the meter to start from the 40p flagdown rate he again looked puzzled and pretended to look around and around and finally when I raised my voice he reset the meter but he was not very happy he 'lost' the extra 14p. Seems some drivers will leave the meter running while they wait in line. I would have jumped out but it was raining 6pm on a Friday night and I knew taxi's were hard to find.

Some drivers are also trying to milk the meter by driving slow on short rides and driving slow as they approach lights. Personally I always try to get a newer taxi with a younger or middle aged driver. Newer taxi's are more likely to have good working aircon and a smoother ride, but not always. Younger drivers tend to drive faster and be more competitive in terms of finding a unique way to maneuver the taxi into a better postion in traffic. Driving on the sidewalk, or into the oncoming traffic lane is fairly common.

Member #4491
01-01-12, 01:04
I would be interested to know what other members would think and do in a similar situation?If we do not have some principles, we are quite lost as humans. I do never let anyone (except my "girlfriends") fool me of money. Not 80 peso even.

In many cases I think visitors in a country pay extra because they either do not dare to take the argument or they simply want to be liked to the extent where they pay extra for people to pretend to like them. There is a limit where we pass generous and become fools.

And then there is of course the situation where we give and take, and it all evens out in the end, as Frenzy3 points out.

But in the long run everyone loose if we are not just all the same in*financial*transactions. To make a white dude pay extra in a taxi is no better than to force a black man to sit is the shitty part of the bus, while paying the same fee as the white*Afrikaners. A sense*of at least some kind of basic idea of equality is the principle here, not the price of the scam.

Barba*

Frenzy3
01-01-12, 06:48
Yes there are scams in taxi. I also had the ones mentioned and the meter not getting turned on. Which I point out a few km in the ride. I think taxi drivers are getting busier and they know that they have a upper hand. They see the long que's and the many people trying to flag down. So let's see if they issue more taxi plates. On a side note jeepney are easy to take and so ate the vans for hire sm to lapu2 35 or 50 peso. I have a car and motor bike so I ask the girls about transport but parking for me is always 20-50 peso and 5 tip for the guy to wave at me

Gangles
01-01-12, 17:17
I am not sure if I am amazed or stunned when this issue of taxis is discussed.

Here is a bunch of westerners, coming to a third world country, complaining when the behaviour is not the same as in a first world country.

Westerners are so protected from such scams in their own country, that they are (initially) easy pickings.

In my country, when I take a taxi, I am protected by consumer protection laws, workplace health and safety laws, business name registration laws, special laws relating to taxi operations. On and on. Every one of these laws requires monitoring and policing by hordes of bureaucrats.

So a trip in a taxi that costs 100 pesoe ($2. 50) in the Philippines, will cost me $30 in my own country.

Who is ripping off who?

Which do you prefer, $2. 50 or $30?

Like almost everything else in third world countries, it is a game. The taxi driver may choose to play the game or not. Same as the mamasan, the bargirl, the barber, the drinks waitress, the street vendor. You may choose to play the game or not. If you choose to play the game, you may choose to play hardball, or softball.

If you want all of the protections of the first world country, with its attendant costs, then do not travel to developing countries. Stay at home.

G

Mr Enternational
01-01-12, 23:21
I am not sure if I am amazed or stunned when this issue of taxis is discussed. So a trip in a taxi that costs 100 pesoe ($2. 50) in the Philippines, will cost me $30 in my own country. Who is ripping off who? Which do you prefer, $2. 50 or $30?I would prefer to pay the correct price according to the place I am in thank you very much. Just as trans-cultural value judgments are invalid so are transnational pricing structures. So the taxi where you live is $30. Would you go somewhere the taxi is $50 and say no I am supposed to pay $30 because that is what it is at home? No. You will get kicked in the ass faster than you can blink. What you pay at home has no significance or relevance.

Like almost everything else in third world countries, it is a game. The taxi driver may choose to play the game or not. Same as the mamasan, the bargirl, the barber, the drinks waitress, the street vendor. You may choose to play the game or not. If you choose to play the game, you may choose to play hardball, or softball. If you want all of the protections of the first world country, with its attendant costs, then do not travel to developing countries. Stay at home.Considering that we will not get these protections when we are in third-world countries we have to fend for ourselves by not allowing them to bully us. Just because governmental protections do not exist I am supposed to just be ripped off instead of speaking up and standing up for myself? Hell no. I play the game and I play it hard. But if you are a cream puff marshmallow mf then go right ahead and enjoy being ripped off and taken advantage of with a smile on your face because there is not government to protect you from it. Just as my dad told me to act like a hoar when I am in a hoarhouse; I will mount up and play cowboy when I am in the wild west.

Frenzy3
01-02-12, 08:26
You guys are over reacting. Gangles is saying the scams come with the level of laws here. The less laws the more chance of getting scammed.

Do you think you can fit in to PI? You are kidding yourself. Here you pay for what you get, and if your foreign you pay more. Guys who visit here and think they can pay like a local then live like a local give up the hotel stay in the local houses ride jeepney. So stop complaining if you pay more.

I pointed out the girl may have told the cab driver she had no cash he then said for 150 he will take her. Hence the meter is off. Taxi drivers are getting more in demand here and ripping them off will cut down on such service. Some guys wonder why girls not turn up it only takes a driver to say no I will not take you as the last time he negotiated 150 the guy only paid 70.

Think about it.

Frenzy3
01-02-12, 16:31
There are 2 issues here, first that people fly here and stay in expensive hotels but want the locals to think that should pay local prices, also why guys even bother leaving home to fly here just for pussy then to complain about the place.

2nd is when did you get into a taxi and say I have no money but if you take me to see some guy who is staying in a expensive hotel he will pay my fare, but if he is not there I need you to take me home. What did the driver say to you. I bet back home he would say "fuck off", here he says "what is in it for me?" she says "he is nice 150" or he is a prick I better stay home rather than watch him argue with this taxi driver.

The point is if you stop tipping taxi drivers for delivering girls they are going to stop offering that service and you fuck up the system that works.

Punter 127
01-02-12, 17:59
There are 2 issues here, first that people fly here and stay in expensive hotels but want the locals to think that should pay local prices, also why guys even bother leaving home to fly here just for pussy then to complain about the place.So what? They paid the fare to fly here and they paid for the hotel expensive or otherwise, they have every right to complain if they want.

2nd is when did you get into a taxi and say I have no money but if you take me to see some guy who is staying in a expensive hotel he will pay my fare, but if he is not there I need you to take me home. What did the driver say to you. I bet back home he would say "fuck off", here he says "what is in it for me?" she says "he is nice 150" or he is a prick I better stay home rather than watch him argue with this taxi driver.Where is the post that said the girl did this, has anybody every reported a girl telling a taxi driver this? If so I must have missed it. I think the drive will tell you to 'fuck off' here just as he would anyplace else. Unless maybe if she offered the driver a BJ if the guy didn't pay.

Perhaps you missed this in one of my previous post.

I only pay for taxis when there is no other choice. If a non bar girl insist on a taxi it should be a big red flag, she is a full blown working girl and probably not going to be a GFI.I don't put girls in taxis, I put them on the Jeepney which is the normal mode of transportation for most of these non bar girls. Only foreigners and hookers use taxis in Cebu.

The point is if you stop tipping taxi drivers for delivering girls they are going to stop offering that service and you fuck up the system that works.Tipping is a reward for good service, demanding extra money for normal service is stealing. I don't have a problem with tipping, I do have a problem with stealing.

I also don't have a problem with paying for extra service like in the case you described if I agree to it in advance, I do have a problem with the girl and the driver telling me how much I owe after the fact. I would not have paid the cocksucker for something I did not agree to.

As for the links I do not see where he was getting girls delivered to his hotel and saying not to tip the driverIt's not about having girls delivered to you hotel, it's about dealing with taxis and others that try to rip you off. It's also about not pissing in the local pond, if you know what I mean.

Mr Enternational
01-02-12, 20:20
There are 2 issues here, first that people fly here and stay in expensive hotels but want the locals to think that should pay local prices, also why guys even bother leaving home to fly here just for pussy then to complain about the place.

2nd is when did you get into a taxi and say I have no money but if you take me to see some guy who is staying in a expensive hotel he will pay my fare, but if he is not there I need you to take me home. What did the driver say to you. I bet back home he would say "fuck off", here he says "what is in it for me?" she says "he is nice 150" or he is a prick I better stay home rather than watch him argue with this taxi driver.

The point is if you stop tipping taxi drivers for delivering girls they are going to stop offering that service and you fuck up the system that works.When people book a flight and hotel they agree to pay the published rate. They should have no qualms with that. Or when they arrive does the hotel then say ,"Well we know we said it was 1500 before you came, but we changed our minds (when we realized you were a foreigner) and it is now 2000 pesos." When a person jumps into a taxi they are agreeing to pay the published rate that everyone else pays, which comes up on the meter. They are not agreeing that since I am a foreigner feel free to charge me more than what the meter reads. Did you read the part where the guy (after seeing he was a foreigner) turned the meter off before he could see it and the girl told him that it read 70 pesos? If the driver intended to charge a flat rate of 150 why did he even turn the meter on in the first place? Now I do not tip in PI, however I am in no way saying that you should not if you want to. But this shit of the guy more than doubling the normal rate and expecting him to agree to it and be happy about it is pure bullshit. That is not a tip that is a fucking rip off, extortion even.

Frenchmen
01-03-12, 01:03
I am sure that there are crooked taxi drivers in Cebu as they are everywhere in the world but they are exceptions not the rule.

In 7 days that I spent last September in Cebu it never happened once to me that a cabbie would not turn the meter on or to ask for more than was on the meter, maybe I am just lucky.

On the other hand, everywhere you get a taxi from a public spot (Ayala Mall, the hotels, etc) they hand you a little ticket with the taxi no. That you can send it back to the company if you are not satisfied with the driver and I assume he gets in trouble.

Punter 127
01-03-12, 03:42
I am sure that there are crooked taxi drivers in Cebu as they are everywhere in the world but they are exceptions not the rule.

In 7 days that I spent last September in Cebu it never happened once to me that a cabbie would not turn the meter on or to ask for more than was on the meter, maybe I am just lucky.

On the other hand, everywhere you get a taxi from a public spot (Ayala Mall, the hotels, etc) they hand you a little ticket with the taxi no. That you can send it back to the company if you are not satisfied with the driver and I assume he gets in trouble.I agree you're not as likely to have a problem if you get the taxi at a taxi stand. However I have been ask to pay a flat rate at the airport and from hotels, but I just say no only meter. BTW the guy just lost his tip when he ask for the flat rate, and I tell him why I'm not tipping him when I pay the fare. Again tips are rewards, I don't reward people for trying to rip me off.

That little ticket they give you is a report card on the drive and a very good tool. However I don't think it goes back to the company I think it goes to 'Cebu City Traffic Operations and Management (Citom) ', it also has a phone number you can call if you have a problem.

Every time one of these guys rips you off he goes back and brags to his buddies and pretty soon they're trying to get in on the action as well, it's like pouring gas on a fire.

Robbaf
01-04-12, 12:03
When people book a flight and hotel they agree to pay the published rate. They should have no qualms with that. Or when they arrive does the hotel then say ,"Well we know we said it was 1500 before you came, but we changed our minds (when we realized you were a foreigner) and it is now 2000 pesos." When a person jumps into a taxi they are agreeing to pay the published rate that everyone else pays, which comes up on the meter. They are not agreeing that since I am a foreigner feel free to charge me more than what the meter reads. Did you read the part where the guy (after seeing he was a foreigner) turned the meter off before he could see it and the girl told him that it read 70 pesos? If the driver intended to charge a flat rate of 150 why did he even turn the meter on in the first place? Now I do not tip in PI, however I am in no way saying that you should not if you want to. But this shit of the guy more than doubling the normal rate and expecting him to agree to it and be happy about it is pure bullshit. That is not a tip that is a fucking rip off, extortion even.I agree. I have found the driver will turn on the meter going through checkpoints, as it against the law to transport passengers without using the meter.

Robb

Stroker Ace88
03-01-12, 21:39
A year after the flagdown rate went from 30-2. 50p to 40-3. 50p, a taxi operator group in Manila is asking the LTFRB for a 10p increase to 50p flagdown rate. No doubt the 10p increase (if granted) would be implemented throughout most of the Philippines.

Red Kilt
03-02-12, 00:43
A year after the flagdown rate went from 30-2. 50p to 40-3. 50p, a taxi operator group in Manila is asking the LTFRB for a 10p increase to 50p flagdown rate. No doubt the 10p increase (if granted) would be implemented throughout most of the Philippines.And if granted it wouldn't change the fact that Philippines taxis are still the cheapest that I have used anywhere in the world.

In fact. I no longer use a private car because it is so much cheaper to use cabs in Manila and Cebu and everywhere else unless I have a company car and driver available for me to use. One is dropped at the door of one's destination. No need to worry about finding an ever-decreasing parking space. I can drink as much as I like with no qualms about driving etc.

Starchild2012
03-02-12, 03:33
A year after the flagdown rate went from 30-2. 50p to 40-3. 50p, a taxi operator group in Manila is asking the LTFRB for a 10p increase to 50p flagdown rate. No doubt the 10p increase (if granted) would be implemented throughout most of the Philippines.Its messed up, one thing will lead to another, worst, the Taxi drivers don't even ply shorter distances that cover 500 mtrs, they all want a long ride, so 10p increase is uncalled for even worse, many taxi drivers won't even issue receipt, which was one of the rules in justifying increase in fare.

Its not about Taxi in PH being the cheapest compare to the world, which i agree and is a good thing as mentioned by redkilt, however it would be great if they don't refuse passengers and ride in all locations, if you really want 10p increase, show some improvements in basic service also....I would be happy with even 15P increase, if they improve the services as well

Stroker Ace88
03-02-12, 05:01
And if granted it wouldn't change the fact that Philippines taxis are still the cheapest that I have used anywhere in the world.

In fact. I no longer use a private car because it is so much cheaper to use cabs in Manila and Cebu and everywhere else unless I have a company car and driver available for me to use. One is dropped at the door of one's destination. No need to worry about finding an ever-decreasing parking space. I can drink as much as I like with no qualms about driving etc.RK,

I agree taxis in the Philippines are dirt cheap when compared to other taxi prices from around the World. I once spent over two hours in a taxi stuck in heavy gridlocked traffic one rainy evening going from one end of Cebu to the other and the fare was only 260p! I felt bad for the driver and I gave him 300p. Mind you that was with the older 30-2. 50p rate. Even with the newer rate it's still cheaper to take a taxi across Cebu than it is just to get in most Western taxis.

The one pause I have about the increase in taxi rates comes when I talk with the taxi drivers in Cebu. Almost to a driver they tell me business went down when the rates increased. It seemed the rate increase made it too expensive for some locals to take a taxi and now they take a jeep instead. So less passengers means more competition for every customer. If they increase the rate again it will force even more locals to ride a jeep. This creates a downward spiral that will result in the drivers taking home less pesos at the end of the shift, not more.

Mr Enternational
03-02-12, 14:31
I did just like someone said. (I forgot the poster because I copied it a while back.) After I collected my baggage I went upstairs, all the way to the right, went outside, and got in line for a white taxi. There were 5 people in front of me. There were plenty of taxis lined up on the opposite end of the building and after one pulled off from the passenger line, another would pull up. When I got in I was handed a dispatch slip with the taxi name and license plate. It says flag down 1st 500 meters is P40 and every 300 meters thereafter is 3. 50. When I arrived at the Diplomat Hotel on F. Ramos the meter read 197 and I gave the driver 220.

Pute Nut
04-13-12, 04:18
Arrived at Cebu airport, went to the meter line. When it's my turn I'm directed by the guard to take a cab some slots back in the line. Seems they are trying to load a little bit more efficiently, wow.

After I had put my luggage in the trunk, the guard does NOT give me a ticket. I motion the driver to stay put, while I get it from the guard. After requesting it from him, the guard then opens front door of the cab and lookie lookie see, here's the slip already, in the good care of the driver! I just grab it, fake a smile and off we go, no problem whatsoever with the ride, of course. This is obviously very sloppy procedure, to say the least. And of course it's also a perfect way of playing hide-the-ticket, should you want it. All you need to do is produce it, in case the customer asks for it. Else, you're home free.

Starchild2012
04-13-12, 04:28
Arrived at Cebu airport, went to the meter line. When it's my turn I'm directed by the guard to take a cab some slots back in the line. Seems they are trying to load a little bit more efficiently, wow.

After I had put my luggage in the trunk, the guard does NOT give me a ticket. I motion the driver to stay put, while I get it from the guard. After requesting it from him, the guard then opens front door of the cab and lookie lookie see, here's the slip already, in the good care of the driver! I just grab it, fake a smile and off we go, no problem whatsoever with the ride, of course. This is obviously very sloppy procedure, to say the least. And of course it's also a perfect way of playing hide-the-ticket, should you want it. All you need to do is produce it, in case the customer asks for it. Else, you're home free.I thought Cebu taxis are more honest than Manila ones. Times are changing it seems.

Pute Nut
04-13-12, 04:35
I thought Cebu taxis are more honest than Manila ones. Times are changing it seems.Well, IMO that is still the case. Hard to beat Manila cabbies in dishonesty. I'd like to stress that the ride was 100% OK, and the driver also got a well-deserved tip. The difference between Manila and Cebu cabbies was actually a discussion topic during the ride!

That said, if times get tougher, following more rate increases leading to less take home pay, as indicated in another post, things may very well deteriorate.

Red Kilt
04-13-12, 05:22
i thought cebu taxis are more honest than manila ones. times are changing it seems.pute said this driver was ok.

he was commenting on the slip of paper left on the passenger's seat as being a funny practice.

i had the same experience. the guard directed me to the cab and when i put out my hand and asked for the slip he said "it's in the cab".

sure enough it was on the seat waiting for me. i think it was a genuine attempt by the security guard to speed things up by writing out the slips in advance. he just never thought it through that maybe it would be more secure to write them out and then hold them in his hand and pass them out to the passengers as they arrive.

my driver was fine. i never have any hassles with drivers in cebu.

Sxxxx
04-13-12, 08:01
Every time one of these guys rips you off he goes back and brags to his buddies and pretty soon they're trying to get in on the action as well, it's like pouring gas on a fire.Correct, even in Cebu. Do not encourage Manila style tactics.

Stroker Ace88
04-13-12, 08:16

After I had put my luggage in the trunk, the guard does NOT give me a ticket. I motion the driver to stay put, while I get it from the guard. After requesting it from him, the guard then opens front door of the cab and lookie lookie see, here's the slip already, in the good care of the driver! I just grab it, fake a smile and off we go, no problem whatsoever with the ride, of course. This is obviously very sloppy procedure, to say the least. And of course it's also a perfect way of playing hide-the-ticket, should you want it. All you need to do is produce it, in case the customer asks for it. Else, you're home free.PN,

This is NOT a scam in any way. If you take a white metered taxi from the line at MCIA you are given a small paper ticket with the taxi company name and plate number. The ticket is standard procedure when taking a taxi from the bigger malls and airports around Cebu as well as most of the Philippines. Now here is the difference scam versus no scam.

When leaving the MCIA perimeter fence you encounter the PNP checkpoint. The PNP now requires all passengers leaving MCIA in a taxi to show the ticket as proof you stood in line and took an approved taxi. IE; you or the taxi did not cut in line and that ensures the local officials get there small cut of every fare.

It seems that some arriving passengers who took a taxi were given the standard taxi paper by the guard on duty like always and they balled it up, threw it away, misplaced it, ate it or some other dumb sh*t. The taxi driver will slow down at the PNP checkpoint so the passenger can show the ticket as proof the taxi went through the official taxi line. No ticket means the taxi will be stopped and the driver and passengers questioned until a ticket is produced. So now the guards give the ticket DIRECTLY to the taxi drivers to avoid problems with the PNP checkpoint and hungry passengers who eat the tickets.

Enjoy Cebu.

Pute Nut
04-14-12, 00:42
Pute said this driver was OK.

He was commenting on the slip of paper left on the passenger's seat as being a funny practice.Correct. Maybe my "scam & BS radar" is set just a tad too sensitive in Phils, and there was actually nothing bad happening here. Just a sloppy execution of a simple procedure designed to enhance passenger security. As often in Phils they seem somehow manage to forfeit most or all of the benefits of a procedure and just keep the paperwork.

Questor55
04-14-12, 04:52
As I left the ferry terminal in Danao I was approached by a taxi driver wanting to take me back to my hotel in Cebu. After brief discussion we agreed on 500 P. Flat fee, no meter. A few miles down the road he got pulled over and fined for not having the meter on. So, it works both ways. This time the guy wasn't screwing anyone, but had the bad luck to get screwed by the cops. The vast majority of Cebu taxi drivers are, thankfully, still honest.

Starchild2012
04-15-12, 10:20
PN,

This is NOT a scam in any way. If you take a white metered taxi from the line at MCIA you are given a small paper ticket with the taxi company name and plate number. The ticket is standard procedure when taking a taxi from the bigger malls and airports around Cebu as well as most of the Philippines. Now here is the difference scam versus no scam.

When leaving the MCIA perimeter fence you encounter the PNP checkpoint. The PNP now requires all passengers leaving MCIA in a taxi to show the ticket as proof you stood in line and took an approved taxi. IE; you or the taxi did not cut in line and that ensures the local officials get there small cut of every fare.

It seems that some arriving passengers who took a taxi were given the standard taxi paper by the guard on duty like always and they balled it up, threw it away, misplaced it, ate it or some other dumb sh*t. The taxi driver will slow down at the PNP checkpoint so the passenger can show the ticket as proof the taxi went through the official taxi line. No ticket means the taxi will be stopped and the driver and passengers questioned until a ticket is produced. So now the guards give the ticket DIRECTLY to the taxi drivers to avoid problems with the PNP checkpoint and hungry passengers who eat the tickets.

Enjoy Cebu.Thanks for the info. Whenever I land in PH, I have too much going on in my head, taking care of ticket is the least of worry. I usually throw it away or slowly tear the ticket thinking which will be my first hunting ground DIA or Juliana or Vikings. By the way, remember always to keep ticket in Manila Bus as well, they check almost every other stop. I made some mistake there. Hehehe Thanks for the tip. I will keep this in mind, no time wasting going back and finding another taxi.

Sxxxx
04-17-12, 10:37
I did just like someone said. (I forgot the poster because I copied it a while back.) After I collected my baggage I went upstairs, all the way to the right, went outside, and got in line for a white taxi. There were 5 people in front of me. There were plenty of taxis lined up on the opposite end of the building and after one pulled off from the passenger line, another would pull up. When I got in I was handed a dispatch slip with the taxi name and license plate. It says flag down 1st 500 meters is P40 and every 300 meters thereafter is 3. 50. When I arrived at the Diplomat Hotel on F. Ramos the meter read 197 and I gave the driver 220.That was my post you copied. Last trip bit of a change to what I posted. Yes, ex ground floor level, arrivals, go upstairs in lift or stairway, exiting lift turn hard right, walk through check in area of departures, take left exit sign further down, and at bottom of ramp, still inside building, take another left turn, walk up to entrance to Departures door right side, think it was Domestic Departures entrance. The queue for white ticket taxis starts right there outside departures door, nowadays. Before it started way down end of building to the right. Nowadays, outside main departures door, is where ticket is issued for white taxis. Everything goes smoothly as you said, no problems.

At ground floor level, arrivals. 50 people and no taxis, LOL.

Stroker Ace88
05-08-12, 18:53
[SNIP]At ground floor level, arrivals. 50 people and no taxis, LOL.Sxxxx,

LOL, yes only yellow airport taxi's at MCIA ground floor arrivals level. 70p- 4. 50p and ready to pickup any newbie to Cebu. No thanks LOL. Give me a simple white CC 40p- 3. 50p taxi. Just takes a little walking to get in line but that's ok with me.

Pute Nut
05-08-12, 20:30
Sxxxx,

LOL, yes only yellow airport taxi's at MCIA ground floor arrivals level. 70p- 4. 50p and ready to pickup any newbie to Cebu. No thanks LOL. Give me a simple white CC 40p- 3. 50p taxi.Riding back to the airport my driver commented on the fact that nowadays even foreigners seem to have learned to avoid the yellow cabs. We also spoke about the general working conditions for cabbies in Cebu, including some interesting stuff about something he called "colorum" if memory serves. Maybe you locals know about this "cloning" of plates going on. He was very much opposed to the proposed fare hike. He gladly accepted my tip, though.

Stroker Ace88
05-08-12, 21:48
PN,

LTO in the Philippines has all kinds of laws and rules. Most of them criss-cross each other to form a very confusing and outdated system. SNAFU would be too kind a term to describe it. It's the way they do things and it's either get with the messed up program and try to follow the rules or drive in violation and pay off any CITOM or other traffic enforcer PNP ect to keep your ride on the road.

Example. Vehicle plate renewal depend on the numbers on your plate. Last number means what month your plates are due for renewal. Plate numbers that end in 8 are due in August. 7 is July and so on. Registration week middle plate number. First week: 1, 2.3. Second week: 4, 5.6. Third week: 7, 8. Last week: 9, 0.

If you register at LTO in November and December you are given temp plates that last until the following January when you are required to go back and officially plate your vehicle or bike.

There is a fee to obtain the plate and LTO does accept resonable facsimile of the plate. Which means you can make your own plate (many do and it's common to see wood or tin painted with the plate number) or go to a shop and have plastic plates made that look like the real thing. Technically the person using temp plates is supposed to return to LTO to get the real plate but many do not.

Don't even get me started on the 'sticker' crap. LOL. Excuse the OT reply.

Pute Nut
05-08-12, 23:07
Stroker Ace88,

Thanks for the update on various LTO matters. As the owner of a Phil DL (with a more generous array of "restrictions" as compared to my home country DL, ha ha) I'm quite aware of the number of ways they will create various "obstacles". Of course there are very often solutions, too, which they will not be too shy to point out.

This particular scam seems to have to do with the taxi franchises per se, though.

PN,

LTO in the Philippines has all kinds of laws and rules. Most of them criss-cross each other to form a very confusing and outdated system. SNAFU would be too kind a term to describe it. It's the way they do things and it's either get with the messed up program and try to follow the rules or drive in violation and pay off any CITOM or other traffic enforcer PNP ect to keep your ride on the road.

Example. Vehicle plate renewal depend on the numbers on your plate. Last number means what month your plates are due for renewal. Plate numbers that end in 8 are due in August. 7 is July and so on. Registration week middle plate number. First week: 1, 2.3. Second week: 4, 5.6. Third week: 7, 8. Last week: 9, 0.

If you register at LTO in November and December you are given temp plates that last until the following January when you are required to go back and officially plate your vehicle or bike.

There is a fee to obtain the plate and LTO does accept resonable facsimile of the plate. Which means you can make your own plate (many do and it's common to see wood or tin painted with the plate number) or go to a shop and have plastic plates made that look like the real thing. Technically the person using temp plates is supposed to return to LTO to get the real plate but many do not.

Don't even get me started on the 'sticker' crap. LOL. Excuse the OT reply.

Brymor
06-30-12, 04:53
I have to say that the overwhelming majority of my taxi rides in Cebu has been positive experiences, apart from the one driver who brought two girls to my hotel last year and then switched off the meter before I had a chance to see it, with the intention of ripping me off for a few pesos. Other than that I have encountered the odd driver who seems to think he is competing in a hybrid F1 / demolition derby contest. I think it is amusing to see painted on all the taxi cabs and other commercial vehicles in Cebu "how is my driving" or "how good is my driving" with a number to call. I often think these signs should read "how bad is my driving" or "how many people have I nearly killed or maimed today"

However just lately I have had a few problems with drivers who take me to short time hotels. I had one the other night who did not want to return the change from a 100 pesos note (the fare was 65) maybe thinking he had done me a big favour. Needless to say I didn't tip him after demanding my change back.

The second time I was leaving the Queensland hotel and the driver refused to switch on the meter. When I asked him to put the meter on he told me the journey would be 150 (to my hotel should be around 75). It was only when I ordered him to stop and let me out that he reluctantly switched on the meter and he was the second driver this visit not to get a tip.

Wicked Roger
06-30-12, 11:45
I have to say that the overwhelming majority of my taxi rides in Cebu has been.

However just lately I have had a few problems with drivers who take me to short time hotels. I had one the other night who did not want to return the change from a 100 pesos note (the fare was 65) maybe thinking he had done me a big favour. Needless to say I didn't tip him after demanding my change back.

The second time I was leaving the Queensland hotel and the driver refused to switch on the meter. When I asked him to put the meter on he told me the journey would be 150 (to my hotel should be around 75). It was only when I ordered him to stop and let me out that he reluctantly switched on the meter and he was the second driver this visit not to get a tip.Unusual as my experience is positive and when compared with Manila genuinely outstanding!

But when faced with the odd taxi driver as you noted, that is the best way. The hotel staff normally insist that the meter is on befopre you leave (at my hotel they do) and only when going to the airport am I asked for a litle a bit more and no meter. I can accept that but I know the rates and always tip for good service

Stroker Ace88
08-30-15, 06:01
I took a taxi the other day from Fuente to Lahug. I told the driver to take Mango and turn up Gorordo. We started down Mango but there was the usual traffic backup in front of Vikings waiting for the light. The driver decided he wanted to take a short-cut and turned up next to the church and over past Lone Star and continued to go near the back of Cebu Doc's. This is a viable short-cut route when Mango is jammed solid, but traffic was normal. When we finally got to Escario he was driving slow milking the meter. He slowed down when the light turned yellow instead of every other local driver who stepped on the gas to get through the light before it went red.

When we got to where I was going the fare was 85 php so I said "rollback na 75 pesos" and gave him a 100 php bill. He hands me back a 10 php coin. I looked at the coin and laughed. I asked him even with no rollback it should be 15 php in change. He told me "rollback is only for Filipinos", but I stood firm and he reluctantly gave me 25 php change. I think he was surprised I knew about the rollback because unlike the last fare rollback in 2008? There was a large sticker on every taxi windshield, this time there's no sticker.

Usually if the driver is nice, gets me to where I'm going without incident and doesn't try to milk the meter, I pay the meter price without rollback and tip on occasion if I felt the driver really helped me out.

This is the first time in a long time that a CC taxi driver tried to scam me.

Anyone else have trouble getting the taxi drivers to rollback the fare?

Wicked Roger
08-30-15, 14:59
This is the first time in a long time that a CC taxi driver tried to scam me.

Anyone else have trouble getting the taxi drivers to rollback the fare?No, as they usually tell me but then I tip so makes no difference to me. In Cebu I rarely find the games the Manila tax drivers play. As long at the driver is fair, I am in my motto.

Omega 3
04-25-17, 03:37
Grab cars (or Grab taxis) now in many cases seem a far better option than regular taxis in Cebu. Newer and cleaner vehicles, and more courteous drivers, with a fixed fare settled in advance.

Downside is that you need WiFi or internet connection for your cell phone in order to use the Grab app.

A few nights ago, I took a yellow cab from Mactan airport, because the regular white taxi line at the airport was too long and I was tired and didn't feel like waiting. The flag fall was the expected Php 70, but about halfway during the ride, I noticed that the meter was moving oddly, clicking over rapidly in 1 peso increments. Upon arrival at the Marco Polo, the total fare was unusually high, almost Php 450 (although in the grand scheme of things still not expensive, at US $9). Past fares, even in yellow cabs, were generally under the Php 300 (US $6) range. Was tired, and didn't feel like making an issue over the extra US $3, so just paid and got out.

Odd experience.

OM.

BrainDrain
05-03-17, 02:16
Grab cars (or Grab taxis) now in many cases seem a far better option than regular taxis in Cebu. Newer and cleaner vehicles, and more courteous drivers, with a fixed fare settled in advance.

Downside is that you need WiFi or internet connection for your cell phone in order to use the Grab app.

A few nights ago, I took a yellow cab from Mactan airport, because the regular white taxi line at the airport was too long and I was tired and didn't feel like waiting. The flag fall was the expected Php 70, but about halfway during the ride, I noticed that the meter was moving oddly, clicking over rapidly in 1 peso increments. Upon arrival at the Marco Polo, the total fare was unusually high, almost Php 450 (although in the grand scheme of things still not expensive, at US $9). Past fares, even in yellow cabs, were generally under the Php 300 (US $6) range. Was tired, and didn't feel like making an issue over the extra US $3, so just paid and got out.

Odd experience.

OM.Have to agree that the Yellow Cabs are a ripoff but have the advantage of no queue and always available. My last trip to MP I was in the white queue, saw a M / F tourist couple get into a Yellow. Eventually I get a cab, go to MP, check in and as I head to the room they are just arriving in Yellow. Didn't spoil their day and just let it go.

I have been using Grab too. In AC the price is comparable to a trike. So instead of sitting at road level in a trike and dealing with the trike drivers, can sit in aircon comfort with a known fixed fare. I still usually tip P20-P30 on top of the Grab fare.

Omega 3
05-03-17, 03:39
Have to agree that the Yellow Cabs are a ripoff but have the advantage of no queue and always available. My last trip to MP I was in the white queue, saw a M / F tourist couple get into a Yellow. Eventually I get a cab, go to MP, check in and as I head to the room they are just arriving in Yellow. Didn't spoil their day and just let it go.

I have been using Grab too. In AC the price is comparable to a trike. So instead of sitting at road level in a trike and dealing with the trike drivers, can sit in aircon comfort with a known fixed fare. I still usually tip P20-P30 on top of the Grab fare.The other day, decided to take the regular white cab from Mactan airport. The white cab queue was not too long, and moving rapidly. I noticed two small groups of young Koreans across the way, in the yellow cab queue, waiting for a yellow cab.

As I got into my white cab a few minutes later, saw that the first group of Koreans was getting into a yellow cab which had just pulled up, but the second group was still waiting. Unusual that there was a scarcity of yellow cabs, and that the yellow cab queue was moving more slowly than the white cab queue.

My route was not quite the same as before, and traffic was much lighter, as it was a holiday, but my white cab fare from Mactan airport to Marco Polo Plaza was just under P 220.

Back to sanity.

OM.

Mua Tur
05-03-17, 05:13
The other day, decided to take the regular white cab from Mactan airport. The white cab queue was not too long, and moving rapidly. I noticed two small groups of young Koreans across the way, in the yellow cab queue, waiting for a yellow cab.

As I got into my white cab a few minutes later, saw that the first group of Koreans was getting into a yellow cab which had just pulled up, but the second group was still waiting. Unusual that there was a scarcity of yellow cabs, and that the yellow cab queue was moving more slowly than the white cab queue.That may happen once in a several days. In my 5 visits in Mactan I never seen Yellow cab line is slower than White cab line.

I can remember last January I arrived Cebu from Davao at 8. 00 Pm. My girl was waiting for me in front of JoleeBee at Arrival Hall. Even my girl show me the White Cab line Que with her smile but I ignore. My burning desire pulled me to ran to the yellow cab stand. Just to make our quicker arrival to my apartment room. Even I knew the Yellow Cab meter price is higher than White Cab. To find out my apartment location the driver used his car GPS. He was ignoring my advice to call my apartment owner to figure up the location instead of rounding same place again and again. Finally I just stop him with big shout and we dropped off at Fuenta Osmania circle. Later the apartment owner pick us and it was just on a walking distance.

My route was not quite the same as before, and traffic was much lighter, as it was a holiday, but my white cab fare from Mactan airport to Marco Polo Plaza was just under P 220.

Back to sanity.

OM.I paid that night 500+php from mactan to Fuento Osmania Circle. The ripping made out just the cabby made rounding and rounding in same place just for following his fucking GPS.

Ms Account
05-05-17, 08:06
I have had two recent taxi trips where I dropped off someone on the way to where I was going. Each time the taxi driver claimed I had to pay an extra 40 P flagfall. Not that is a big issue 40 p. Is this normal practice?

Sxxxx
05-05-17, 12:41
I have had two recent taxi trips where I dropped off someone on the way to where I was going. Each time the taxi driver claimed I had to pay an extra 40 P flagfall. Not that is a big issue 40 p. Is this normal practice?Once upon a time I had a substantial investment in the taxi business, not Phils of course. Being a taxi driver is no easy way to make money, especially in traffic jam cities like Cebu. Because of my inside knowledge and sympathy for those drivers I would pay the two fares, yes. It is two passengers going to two different destinations. Taxis are rented out to drivers on a 24 HR basis, hence the driver has little or no sleep during that period. He provides the gasoline used and cost of accidents if any, plus the daily rent. I tip all decent taxi drivers, around P10 to P20. Dishonest taxi drivers, I take their details and tell them I will report them to authorities. No tip then. Hot meter guys I direct to the nearest Police station and sort it out, LOL.

In general Cebu taxi drivers are better than Manila or Angeles (trikes) drivers. Davao better than Cebu. That's the way I find it, any way.

I think if you say "good morning" or "good afternoon / evening" when you enter the car it gets things off to a good start. Lots of arrogant foreigners in the Phils, who auto talk down to taxi drivers, LOL.

Dg8787
05-05-17, 14:30
I have had two recent taxi trips where I dropped off someone on the way to where I was going. Each time the taxi driver claimed I had to pay an extra 40 P flagfall. Not that is a big issue 40 p. Is this normal practice?Yep. It is normal.

Ms Account
05-08-17, 00:42
In general Cebu taxi drivers are better than Manila or Angeles (trikes) drivers. Davao better than Cebu. That's the way I find it, any way.Agree. I rarely have Cebu taxi drivers refuse to use the meter. I had a dream last year that I was hijacked by a taxi driver. It was a left hand drive car and an Asian driver (as distinct from Australia where I live which is right hand drive cars). Strange things dreams. So I am always a bit on edge nowadays. Sometimes taxi drivers take odd routes to / from Mactan airport to bypass the Mandaue traffic (like deep into the port area where there is quite a large slum near a river). Never convinced these side routes are faster but just puts me more on edge because I don't know where I am.

Wicked Roger
05-08-17, 02:46
Agree. I rarely have Cebu taxi drivers refuse to use the meter. I had a dream last year that I was hijacked by a taxi driver. It was a left hand drive car and an Asian driver (as distinct from Australia where I live which is right hand drive cars). Strange things dreams. So I am always a bit on edge nowadays. Sometimes taxi drivers take odd routes to / from Mactan airport to bypass the Mandaue traffic (like deep into the port area where there is quite a large slum near a river). Never convinced these side routes are faster but just puts me more on edge because I don't know where I am.Cebu taxi drivers ripping off passengers is rare as Ms A says. The one time it happened was because I knew the route and he somehow concocted a much slower one so I pointed out I live in Cebu etc and suddenly he changed the route.

As for the short cuts. I know what you mean but these are legit and there are a few as Mandaue is a dogs breakfast as traffic goes so am happy he thinks that way despite passing a few slums etc.

Red Kilt
05-08-17, 03:34
Cebu taxi drivers ripping off passengers is rare as Ms A says. The one time it happened was because I knew the route and he somehow concocted a much slower one so I pointed out I live in Cebu etc and suddenly he changed the route.

As for the short cuts. I know what you mean but these are legit and there are a few as Mandaue is a dogs breakfast as traffic goes so am happy he thinks that way despite passing a few slums etc.An escalating problem is the way that Uber and Grab are attracting investors who are buying new cars and recruiting anyone and everyone to drive their taxis.

These guys have no idea of the "best" way to get somewhere and they use those apps with the voice and screen directions and they follow the directions carefully.

My last trip I found we were going the very worst and busiest route and so I told the driver to turn off his app, keep the destination ij his phone and follow my instructions.

He was reluctant to do it but we reached the destination with minimum fuss.

Omega 3
05-08-17, 04:01
An escalating problem is the way that Uber and Grab are attracting investors who are buying new cars and recruiting anyone and everyone to drive their taxis.

These guys have no idea of the "best" way to get somewhere and they use those apps with the voice and screen directions and they follow the directions carefully.

My last trip I found we were going the very worst and busiest route and so I told the driver to turn off his app, keep the destination ij his phone and follow my instructions.

He was reluctant to do it but we reached the destination with minimum fuss.RK,

If all else fails, maybe you could retire and become an Uber or Grab driver / trainer? Passengers would trust you implicitly, as you would know all the best routes in Cebu and Metro Manila.

LOL, mate!

OM.

GoodEnough
05-08-17, 05:24
Cebu taxi drivers ripping off passengers is rare as Ms A says. The one time it happened was because I knew the route and he somehow concocted a much slower one so I pointed out I live in Cebu etc and suddenly he changed the route.

As for the short cuts. I know what you mean but these are legit and there are a few as Mandaue is a dogs breakfast as traffic goes so am happy he thinks that way despite passing a few slums etc.Just as an aside, if you have Waze on your phone, it's easy to search for alternative routes whether or not you know the city. I've done this in Cebu, where I don't know my way around very well, and it works fine with the drivers who are compliant.

GE.

Wicked Roger
05-08-17, 18:36
RK,

If all else fails, maybe you could retire and become an Uber or Grab driver / trainer? Passengers would trust you implicitly, as you would know all the best routes in Cebu and Metro Manila.

LOL, mate!

OM.RK would all the best and fastest route route to Sogos in Manila am sure and that information is priceless to some mongers LOL.

Bab Com
08-07-17, 09:44
I had few good experiences with white taxu picking me up at airport to bring me downtown. Usually be polite, then ask them soon after departure how much they would take to go to moalboal or malapascua (big trips for them) and to give me their business card for a confirmation later.

Doesn't mean I going to use them, as bus are cheaper, but the expectation of a long journey make them be careful not to rip you off this time.

Buko Max
10-11-17, 00:18
http://www.sunstar.com.ph/manila/local-news/2017/10/04/ltfrb-approves-taxi-fare-hike-567667

Dg8787
10-11-17, 01:22
http://www.sunstar.com.ph/manila/local-news/2017/10/04/ltfrb-approves-taxi-fare-hike-567667No real increase to foreigners as the flag down always stated 40 pesos. Most locals knew to ask for 10 pesos as they knew the flag down rate had been rolled back to 30 pesos. So it is back up to 40. Bfd.

Explorer1004
10-14-17, 04:24
I had few good experiences with white taxu picking me up at airport to bring me downtown. Usually be polite, then ask them soon after departure how much they would take to go to moalboal or malapascua (big trips for them) and to give me their business card for a confirmation later.

Doesn't mean I going to use them, as bus are cheaper, but the expectation of a long journey make them be careful not to rip you off this time.There is this blue non stop bus that will take you to SM City Cebu for 25 pesos.