PDA

View Full Version : Living and retirement in Medellin

Chesscat
04-02-12, 02:08
Seems like we could use a separate thread re living and retiring in Medellin, re best places to live, furnished and unfurnished apartments, adjusting to the culture, and health care.

Chesscat
04-02-12, 02:12
From what I read on the CR forum, and elsewhere, and using common sense too, it seems that renting for a good while, perhaps a year, would be a good idea, as opposed to buying immediately. For that matter, as we've some to know all too well in the US, renting may be preferable in the long run too. The general advice though, is to rent in the area you are considering for all four seasons, to the extent there are four seasons in Medellin, in any event to experience the area you are considering in various seasons and climate conditions.

Chesscat
04-03-12, 20:51
In this amazing thread I've started, I will ask, which is preferable to retire in, Poblado, Envigado, Sabaneta, Laureles, or elsewhere? And why of course?

Chesscat
04-05-12, 17:43
this thread is red hot! my next question is, is it possible for an expat to live near medellin without air conditioning? the temp is one thing, but the humidity is another, and of course air conditioning deals with both. can it be done by a guy reared with air?

chesrep001

GringoLoco2
04-14-12, 18:04
it depends. how much money do you have?

in this amazing thread i've started, i will ask, which is preferable to retire in, poblado, envigado, sabaneta, laureles, or elsewhere? and why of course?

GringoLoco2
04-14-12, 18:05
it never gets too bad. a ceiling fan and air fan in your bedroom should be adequate.

this thread is red hot! my next question is, is it possible for an expat to live near medellin without air conditioning? the temp is one thing, but the humidity is another, and of course air conditioning deals with both. can it be done by a guy reared with air?

chesrep001

Chesscat
04-15-12, 16:08
Thanks Gringo. In pre-retirement mode, I have noticed that my H&A bill runs some $250 to $300 a month here in the Deep South. It would be nice to cut that expense out. But right now I am addicted. But still it is an intriguing possibility to reduce expenses.

Chesscat
05-02-12, 04:50
http://www.abebooks.com/blog/index.php/2012/03/05/jonathan-swifts-resolutions-for-old-age/

Chesscat
05-02-12, 04:52
http://www.abebooks.com/blog/index.php/2012/03/05/jonathan-swifts-resolutions-for-old-age/with a little explanation.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/235402.html

Chesscat
06-02-12, 01:33
Well I went to Sabaneta, courtesy of Fernando the taxi driver, and even in Sabaneta the tower construction continues at a heated pace. In other words, what I thought was the sleepy pueblo of Sabaneta is actually about equivalent to our capital city of Columbia, South Carolina. From the heights of Sabaneta, I looked back over Medellin to Bello, and the size of this city is staggering. In elementary school we were taught the word Megalopolis, and that is Medellin. So for my sleepy retirement, I am at a loss.

Chesscat
06-02-12, 01:45
They have closed the thread on CR, so on my personal forum here on ISG I will write a little about Noah. As you know, he was killed a few days ago, by assassins, perhaps also friends, on La 70. Noah was, like most of us, a mixture of good and bad. He was very intelligent, and personable when he wanted to be, but he was obsessed with mafia and drive-by killings, and of course he had a drug habit. I spent a day with him, maybe 2 days, and we had fun. Anyone who knew him had at least one day of fun with Noah. But he had no goal, no final cause, and combined with his drug abuse, that led him to his early fate, at 46 or 48 years of age. The things he said to me that put me off, were these: He told me, on several occasions in conversation, that he could "see that in me". I don't think he could or did. He used multiple IDs on discussion websites, a trifling act of dishonesty that nevertheless put me off. I just don't tell those kind of little lies. In short, to me his primary defect was dishonesty. And then, if you crossed him, or even disagreed with him, he was capable of divulging your secrets, or whatever he knew about you, in a hateful manner, on the internet in an intentional effort to hurt you. Strange! Ultimately, though, I think, suspect, that Noah had his personal demons. Perhaps he listened to them at night, alone. We could have been friends, but lots of people who knew Noah feel that way. Descansa en paz, Noah!

Member #4394
06-02-12, 05:02
thanks for the info, chesrep001. sounds like he had a lot of enemies. rip.

they have closed the thread on cr, so on my personal forum here on isg i will write a little about noah. as you know, he was killed a few days ago, by assassins, perhaps also friends, on la 70. noah was, like most of us, a mixture of good and bad. he was very intelligent, and personable when he wanted to be, but he was obsessed with mafia and drive-by killings, and of course he had a drug habit. i spent a day with him, maybe 2 days, and we had fun. anyone who knew him had at least one day of fun with noah. but he had no goal, no final cause, and combined with his drug abuse, that led him to his early fate, at 46 or 48 years of age. the things he said to me that put me off, were these: he told me, on several occasions in conversation, that he could "see that in me". i don't think he could or did. he used multiple ids on discussion websites, a trifling act of dishonesty that nevertheless put me off. i just don't tell those kind of little lies. in short, to me his primary defect was dishonesty. and then, if you crossed him, or even disagreed with him, he was capable of divulging your secrets, or whatever he knew about you, in a hateful manner, on the internet in an intentional effort to hurt you. strange! ultimately, though, i think, suspect, that noah had his personal demons. perhaps he listened to them at night, alone. we could have been friends, but lots of people who knew noah feel that way. descansa en paz, noah!

Zing23
06-02-12, 20:45
1 you can't do much of anything in Colombia without a cedula. Like open a bank account. This is a national I'd card. There are cedulas for citizens and cedulas for extranjeros (foreigners). Look at any colombian embassy website for the basics: you can get a job, get a permanent girl, or have your business get you a negocia visa, or try a retired person visa (if you have a pension etc.). Even a simple visa like business visa, that they WANT to give you, can easily take 4 months, or more, including 5 weeks minimum for the issuance of your cedula. Actually, you don't get a cedula, you get a temporary Contrasena card while you wait an indeterminate time for the official cedula card. Your bank will reject the Contrasena, but you can go back to DAS and get a printed regulation that says they have to accept the Extranjero contrasena as if it were a cedula. (Note: DAS is supposed to be gone, but there is a small bit left that deals with visas.)

2. In any new country, renting for a year is always a smart move. Once you have a home, people will start to treat you like a local instead of a tourist, and tell you useful truths (that are hidden from tourists if negative, or just never come up in conversation if they are good). Also, the world is deleveraging (I. E, reducing debt) which means that most real estate in the world is on the way down. There are exceptions, but I don't expect Colombia to be one of them, when the Chinese economy slows, so will Colombia. So renting is best.

3. You can wire money into Colombia from other countries, but the source account must be in your name not the name of a company, like your bank account in Colombia. If the amount is over 10 million pesos (about $6000) you have to go to the branch and explain the source of funds.

4. If you buy a car, you can't use it in the city for 2 days out of Mon-Fri each week (Pico y Placa). This is to reduce congestion. There are car plates (white) that are good for every day, but I have never seen one on a non-commercial vehicle.

5. I don't think you can get medical insurance without the government EPS and I think you need to be a resident for that. Still working on this detail.

6. If you buy a new house, you have one year to pay the deposit of from 40% to 60% of the price. No zero down mortgages here!

7. Utilities are not the same price for everyone. They go up in price as your home gets more fancy. Cheapest is Estrato 1. Very poor area. Highest I have ever heard of is Estrato 10 (giant mansion on the hill outside Bogota overlooking the city). People love to rent apartments that are Estrato 4, but for some reason nicer than Estrato 5.

8. You better speak Spanish pretty well, because not many people speak English.

-zing

Ricker
06-02-12, 21:49
1 you can't do much of anything in Colombia without a cedula ...

-zingGood info, gracias.

Orgasm Donor
06-26-12, 16:42
Could one of you gentlemen help me with the details of obtaining a Cedula for Colombia? Where do I go? What is the first step? I want to be able to establish a bank account and rent an apartment. I will be staying in Pereira for a few weeks. Thanks in advance.

Zing23
06-26-12, 20:23
Could one of you gentlemen help me with the details of obtaining a Cedula for Colombia? Where do I go? What is the first step? I want to be able to establish a bank account and rent an apartment. I will be staying in Pereira for a few weeks. Thanks in advance.There are two basic types of cedula.

C. C. (cedula colombiana or more accurately I think Cedula Ciudano. Citizen). You need to be a colombian to get this. Could take you quite a while, even if you marry a Colombian girl! Jajaja.

C. E. (cedula extrenejera, which is for a foreigner. This is what you are looking for)

To get the C. E. You first need a Visa. Go to any colombian embassy web site and start reading. There are a bunch of different visas, for job, education, business (this is relatively easy if you already own a business in USA or other country that can request it for you) , living with a girl permanently, etc. You apply to the consulate or embassy that covers the area where you legally live. You may have trouble paying the visa fee, since they don't accept checks or credit cards. I used a wire transfer.

Once you have the visa you go to the DAS office in Bogota (Cll 100) and apply for the Cedula. Another 6 weeks or so to get the temporary contrasena, with which you can open a bank account.

Hope that helps.

-zing

CPlusPlus
07-29-13, 07:45
been a browser to this forum for the longest time, first time making a post, i have an extremely reserved-like personality to share about intimate matters in the report sections (i know, even anonymously) so reviving the thread, how well has it been for you all expats that have moved to colombia? okay so a little bit about myself, i am a programming analyst for a revenue booming fiber cement company, age of 22, have 14 months of professional work experience with this company, my salary is $72k, i have no student loans (as i had received a scholarship from an institution that is walking distance from where i live) , nor do i have any sort of debt whatsoever. i have a good amount of cash saved up, mainly because i live with my parents and pay only $300 of rent (which they don't even need, my father is an orthodontist) and also because i am pretty frugal, or more precisely i am happy simply playing video games and code in my computer, and thus i barely have anything i would like to spend my money on. while i am no mark zuckerberg or larry page economically speaking, however when you have about 5 grand a month net, and you only spend a very small amount of it (only like $700-$900 a month) , digits surely add up quickly. (yes somewhat of a brag introduction, you guys need to understand that i have never had this amount of money before, and while i have extremely good money management skills, i still feel inclined to spend some of it, and the quickest and pleasurable way to put a hole in that pocket is mongering)

okay so getting back on topic, i want to know how sought after is a computer programmer in colombia. i have very fluent spanish, and can write it too, so the language is no barrier, and a year of work experience. i know it may be perplexing as to why i would want to move, taking into account i am not doing too bad here, but i mean two weeks a year of vacation is not enough time to have fun and travel. i want a change of routine, it just i have been in the same house and the same lifestyle for the past 22 years, very monotonous. and i took a one week leave to medellin colombia a while back, and well you know. i was hooked lol. so it seems that there are a few barriers with foreigners working over there, but is it really as arduous as it is portrayed here in the thread? would i be naive to ask for at least 3 grand usd a month over there (which is cutting my us salary in half, and would be like 5.5 million cop a month over there) , do people with the same job as me over there make less or more than that? safety is not a worry factor to me as really i don't have "money appearance" and from what i was told by colombians over there, as long as i did not have a nice car (which if i did ever want one, it is mandatory that the windows be tainted) or walked with a a top of the line watch / cellphone / clothing, that i should be fine. only my computer gear is somewhat of value, but that wouldn't be visible. 5.5 million cop or up would be a beautiful salary, i could see myself probably speeding the most only like 1. 5 million a my monthly expenses, as i repeat i am very minimalist, and thus would have at least 4 million pesos left over a month for the ladies.

however i am not sure how realistic this dream of mine is, what i might do is simply go on an extensive vacation over there (like at least half a year) and see more in detail about it. i am going to take about $50k usd, i want to go sex crazy for at least the initial month (as like 4 services a day, multiple partners, tln's) and blow at least 10 grand.

okay guys, i hope to hear some answers for this dilemma i am facing, thank you

sincerely,

cplusplus

Chesscat
10-15-13, 00:50
This at least deserves a mention:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/10/13/highrise-collapses-colapses/2976235/

Questner
10-15-13, 03:54
this at least deserves a mention:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/10/13/highrise-collapses-colapses/2976235/http://vimeo.com/76818452 and

http://www.elcolombiano.com/bancoconocimiento/t/tragedia_en_space_-_minuto_a_minuto/tragedia_en_space_-_minuto_a_minuto.asp

buy a house instead.

Joe Rilla
11-27-13, 04:20
Been a browser to this forum for the longest time, first time making a post, I have an extremely reserved-like personality to share about intimate matters in the report sections (I know, even anonymously) So reviving the thread, how well has it been for you all expats that have moved to Colombia? Okay so a little bit about myself, I am a programming analyst for a revenue booming fiber cement company, age of 22, have 14 months of professional work experience with this company, my salary is $72k, I have no student loans (as I had received a scholarship from an institution that is walking distance from where I live) , nor do I have any sort of debt whatsoever. I have a good amount of cash saved up, mainly because I live with my parents and pay only $300 of rent (Which they don't even need, my father is an orthodontist) and also because I am pretty frugal, or more precisely I am happy simply playing Video Games and Code in my computer, and thus I barely have anything I would like to spend my money on. While I am no Mark Zuckerberg or Larry Page economically speaking, however when you have about 5 grand a month net, and you only spend a very small amount of it (only like $700-$900 a month) , digits surely add up quickly. (Yes somewhat of a brag introduction, you guys need to understand that I have never had this amount of money before, and while I have extremely good money management skills, I still feel inclined to spend some of it...Hey, You should watch you don't get kidnapped or anything. You give way too much information! People rob and kill each other for a few hundred dollars. You are way to free with your information.

If you go down there the last thing you want to do is trust someone and tell them all that stuff.

Zing23
11-27-13, 23:20
.5. 5 million cop or up would be a beautiful salary, i could see myself probably speeding the most only like 1. 5 million a my monthly expenses, as i repeat i am very minimalist, and thus would have at least 4 million pesos left over a month for the ladies.

however i am not sure how realistic this dream of mine is, what i might do is simply go on an extensive vacation over there (like at least half a year) and see more in detail about it. i am going to take about $50k usd, i want to go sex crazy for at least the initial month (as like 4 services a day, multiple partners, tln's) and blow at least 10 grand.there are plenty of qualified programmers in colombia already and they don't make anywhere near 6 million pesos a month. your best bet is to get a half-time programming job that you can do over the internet back in the high-salary first world and then do it from colombia. you can stay up to 6 months a year on a tourist visa. for longer time period, you need a visa (work, study, investment, marrriage to a colombiana, etc.). student visa is probably the easiest for you. i agree with the other poster. do not flash money around. use your atm card to get cash (citibank will give up to 1 milliion pesos at a time, servibanco will give 780, 000).

next problem: without a serious visa, you cannot get an id card (cedula) and without that you cannot rent an apartment or do much of anything like open a bank account. but you can get a cell phone with your passport, so i suggest you just keep a low profile, be a student / tourist, and get a private room in a youth hostel or a room in a private home, etc. where you won't need a local id.

spending $10000 usd in a month on sex is good way to become a target. if you go to 4 casas a day and spend an hour with each girl, that is still less than 250,000 pesos ($150 usd) , or $4500 for the month. you are young and speak spanish, you should be able to get girls to spend the night for free, or just for the odd gift. do not be over-generous, no matter how good you feel after having great sex with a girl. just be nice.

-zing

Hioctane
11-28-13, 14:00
Could one of you gentlemen help me with the details of obtaining a Cedula for Colombia? Where do I go? What is the first step? I want to be able to establish a bank account and rent an apartment. I will be staying in Pereira for a few weeks. Thanks in advance.You don't need a Colombian ID to rent an apartment. You can rent with just your passport. Heck, some don't ask for any ID.

Hioctane
11-28-13, 14:04
There are many expat programmers in Colombia. Who in their right mind would work for a Colombian company? They all work remotely for an American company at American salaries. Good luck, this is an ideal job for living in Colombia.

CaptainDorado
12-18-13, 14:59
There are two basic types of cedula.

C. C. (cedula colombiana or more accurately I think Cedula Ciudano. Citizen). You need to be a colombian to get this. Could take you quite a while, even if you marry a Colombian girl! Jajaja.

C. E. (cedula extrenejera, which is for a foreigner. This is what you are looking for)

To get the C. E. You first need a Visa. Go to any colombian embassy web site and start reading. There are a bunch of different visas, for job, education, business (this is relatively easy if you already own a business in USA or other country that can request it for you) , living with a girl permanently, etc. You apply to the consulate or embassy that covers the area where you legally live. You may have trouble paying the visa fee, since they don't accept checks or credit cards. I used a wire transfer.

Once you have the visa you go to the DAS office in Bogota (Cll 100) and apply for the Cedula. Another 6 weeks or so to get the temporary contrasena, with which you can open a bank account.

Hope that helps.

-zingI just walked into a bank with a passport and opened an account!

Razor77
12-19-13, 04:09
I just walked into a bank with a passport and opened an account!Do you mind sharing what bank allowed you to open an account with just a passport? Most require a Colombian Cedula. It would be nice to know which bank you used.

CaptainDorado
12-19-13, 16:22
Do you mind sharing what bank allowed you to open an account with just a passport? Most require a Colombian Cedula. It would be nice to know which bank you used.Bank Of Colombia in the Exito Larelles.

Questner
12-20-13, 06:01
Do you mind sharing what bank allowed you to open an account with just a passport? Most require a Colombian Cedula. It would be nice to know which bank you used.It was a sperm bank.

Razor77
12-20-13, 15:32
It was a sperm bank.If the sperm bank was 19 with long black hair and a caramel skinned body then I will be there before others so I can be first in line to make the deposit. Wonder what type of interest rates I would get on the deposit?

CaptainDorado
12-20-13, 17:46
It was a sperm bank.[Deleted by Admin] Buy the way I just logged on to my account online that I opened with a pass port and it was BanColombia, not bank of Colombia. Sorry for the wrong info.

EDITOR'S NOTE: This report was redacted or deleted to remove sections of the report that were largely argumentative. Please read the Forum FAQ and the Forum's Posting Guidelines for more information. Thank You!

Questner
12-21-13, 06:08
This stupid one liner is why its not worth posting info on here, Buy the way I just logged on to my account online that I opened with a pass port and it was BanColombia, not bank of Colombia. Sorry for the wrong info.Life is fun. Sanuk as they say in Thai. Anyway, just post a list of documents you have presented when you opened your checking account in COP (http://www.grupobancolombia.com/home/c_segmento/cliente.asp). Other travelers can benefit from your post. Based on my experience maintaining a regular account in LA country without any permanent connection is not always easy process. A foreign passport at the branch is not enough.

Archimedes
01-28-14, 22:26
On a hunch I brought my Roku from USA to Colombia with me for use in my Medellin apartment. For those of you who don't know, Roku is an alternative to a cable box, which brings television content through a cable connection. Roku brings television content through an internet connection.

When I connected the Roku today, at first it would not connect with NetFlix. After an hour, however, the big red screen came on and everything was working. Which is an awesome way to get English-language television shows and movies in Colombia.

The Roku cost $100 in USA. A one-time purchase. And I pay something like $8 / month for Netflix.

Unfortunately, Pandora (music) doesn't work. It says,"not licenses for use outside USA." Does anyone know of other music channels available through Roku that work internationally, or at least in Colombia?

Hioctane
01-29-14, 18:19
On a hunch I brought my Roku from USA to Colombia with me for use in my Medellin apartment. For those of you who don't know, Roku is an alternative to a cable box, which brings television content through a cable connection. Roku brings television content through an internet connection.

When I connected the Roku today, at first it would not connect with NetFlix. After an hour, however, the big red screen came on and everything was working. Which is an awesome way to get English-language television shows and movies in Colombia.

The Roku cost $100 in USA. A one-time purchase. And I pay something like $8 / month for Netflix.

Unfortunately, Pandora (music) doesn't work. It says,"not licenses for use outside USA." Does anyone know of other music channels available through Roku that work internationally, or at least in Colombia?Your best bet is to get a VPN service that will make all these services think you are in the US or wherever.

Chesscat
03-06-14, 18:29
Interesting article. I didn't know anyone was paying attention.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-06/shiller-s-bubble-warning-turns-prophecy-for-banker-andes-credit.html

MNPeter
04-13-14, 14:32
My plans are to spend late October to March sometime in Medellin starting this Fall. I'm in my late 40s.

Never been there before but have been to Brazil before.

As a newbie what are the suggestions to doing this?

Spend 4 days at the Mansion or with Colombia Jake and don't start looking for an apartment until I get there? Or try to have a good idea before I arrive and move into an apartment right away.

I would like to keep rent around the $1000 a month area. Quality internet connection would be required.

Sharing an apartment with someone would be kind of nice too. As long as they agree to have someone clean it often as well. LOL.

I am really struggling with where to live. I am really working on my Spanish. Really want to find a novia in her 30s. That is the age I date here in the states. So with that in mind.

I welcome private messages with any pointers.

Thanks much

Manizales911
04-13-14, 17:10
My plans are to spend late October to March sometime in Medellin starting this Fall. I'm in my late 40s.

Never been there before but have been to Brazil before.

As a newbie what are the suggestions to doing this?

Spend 4 days at the Mansion or with Colombia Jake and don't start looking for an apartment until I get there? Or try to have a good idea before I arrive and move into an apartment right away.

I would like to keep rent around the $1000 a month area. Quality internet connection would be required.

Sharing an apartment with someone would be kind of nice too. As long as they agree to have someone clean it often as well. LOL.

I am really struggling with where to live. I am really working on my Spanish. Really want to find a novia in her 30s. That is the age I date here in the states. So with that in mind.

I welcome private messages with any pointers.

Thanks muchDo you speak spanish?

MNPeter
04-14-14, 03:03
Do you speak spanish?As I said in my original post. I'm really working on it. At an advanced beginner level now. Plan is to finish fluen up to level 5 by the time I arrive. A great program if you haven't checked it out. The missing letter is z.

MNPeter
04-14-14, 12:07
After considering it more. Realized trying to save a little on rent is silly. Only for a few months I can afford it. So as 1000 to 1750 range is doable.

That puts the best areas in play I would guess. But if a woman lives in this area too. Doubt she would have much interest in a gringo.

Chesscat
04-16-14, 00:53
I am not speaking from experience, but here is my advice anyway. Staying at the Mansion first for a week or so is a good idea, not absolutely necessary but good.

I don't think you should rush into getting an apartment.

One of my points to you, would be a suggestion that instead of bringing women back to your apartment, you consider using the love motels. Not only would this be lots of fun, I think it shows respect for the culture. For example, if you get a really nice apartment, and you are bringing poor working girls back to your apartment all the time, this shows zero respect for the culture, that is zero respect for the Colombians around you. It seems to me that guys insist on bringing the girls back to their apartment just to save money, that is they are being cheap. The love hotels are awesome, there are tons of them, and again you will show respect. I am saying also that your neighbors in your swank apartment do not have to know you are a hobbyist.

If you were to use the love hotels, you could even consider AirBnB to find a place. I was looking on there and there are some great places, with nice people with local knowledge. You just want to show respect by keeping your hobby on the low low.

Also, in the months you are there, you may want to take some Spanish classes. I even saw one AirBnB place where the lady could teach Spanish too. You can take salsa classes.

So use the love motels, hobby on the low low and get to know the people and culture.

You will have no trouble finding a woman in her thirties or twenties to hang with.

MNPeter
04-16-14, 15:38
i am not speaking from experience, but here is my advice anyway. staying at the mansion first for a week or so is a good idea, not absolutely necessary but good.

if you were to use the love hotels, you could even consider airbnb to find a place. i was looking on there and there are some great places, with nice people with local knowledge. you just want to show respect by keeping your hobby on the low low.

you can take salsa classes.

so use the love motels, hobby on the low low and get to know the people and culture.

you will have no trouble finding a woman in her thirties or twenties to hang with.thank you very much chesrep001!

actually since i posted, i had come across airbnb. and was very much leaning that way. there are nice penthouse suites with your own bath and a maid for the place. i very much like the simplicity of this. also. like the idea of not hanging out alone all the time in an apartment by myself, and having the possibility of tagging along with a group of friends.

i agree with you 100% on the love hotels for the working girls. leaving the apartment room for only regular girls whom i'm dating. actually the casas sound great. kind of like treasure hunting. lol.

basically, now just need to figure out where in the city i would most like to live. i want to really press myself with the getting by on spanish, but also want to have a network of people to hang out with and not in a mongering kind of way (except for casa runs). or falling down drunk kind of way either.

also salsa lessons are number one on my to do list! been on my bucket list for so long, one of the main reasons i am going to colombia vs mexico where i already have a beach lot.

Chesscat
04-17-14, 00:20
Info from Dave's Medellin Living blog.

Laureles is the most popular alternative to El Poblado.

http://medellinliving.com/neighborhood-guides/

http://medellinliving.com/love-motel-sex-colombia/

MdeJohn
04-28-14, 17:16
I lived in Laureles for a year. Still a great neighborhood but I prefer the Estadio / Colores area (where I live now). A little cheaper and closer to the Metro and La 70 (main local bar and restaurant scene).

As for dance classes, there are a few regular posts on the "Living and Doing Business in Medellin" group on Facebook for free weekly classes. One is Monday nights at Mojito Bar near Lleras. Cover of 15,000 includes a drink and the class.

IamLookin
07-29-14, 14:37
Can someone recommend me health insurance in Colombia. I am thinking of retiring in Medellin and would like to know what health insurance I should look into?

Thanks.

Taser
07-30-14, 21:07
Can someone recommend me health insurance in Colombia. I am thinking of retiring in Medellin and would like to know what health insurance I should look into?

Thanks.http://www.sura.com/saludsura/Default.aspx

Chesscat
12-10-14, 19:01
For years as the Colombian currency appreciated investment in Colombia was presented as a no-brainer, despite the occasional collapsing high-rise (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/10/13/highrise-collapses-colapses/2976235/). Recently it has become apparent that the Colombian economy runs off oil, and with the decline in the price of oil you get a concomitant decline in asset prices.

A Colombian ETF, GXG, is at 12.67 as of December 10,2014; GXG started 2014 at roughly 17.7. It's high on Sept. 30,2010 was 23. The main holdings are BanColombia (CIB) at 18% and EcoPetrol (EC) at 14%. BanColombia is actually only down slightly so far this year, but EC is down from 38.4 to 15.7, some 60%.

The Colon at the beginning of 2014 was at 1930, as of December 10th it's at 2383.

It may be that the economy of Colombia is not some miracle, that instead it simply runs off oil, like Mexico, Brazil, Venezuela, Russia and others. It could be that shutting off the oil-money spigot will have serious knock-on effects on real estate, real estate loans and the financial sector.

For those contemplating investing in Colombia, it may be well to wait for the bottom of this oil cycle, and then wait some more.

Shamester
12-11-14, 15:59
Unsure how much of the peso devaluation is linked to oil.

In general terms, the US $ has appreciated against many currencies due to the perceived strength of the US economy vs. The global economy. Certainly commodities are major economic factors in many countries economies.

Chesscat
12-12-14, 15:42
Check out this info re Colombian exports.

http://atlas.media.mit.edu/profile/country/col/

Re prices of CIB and EC, I should have noted that the prices I was looking at are in dollar terms, that is they are traded in the US, and hence the appreciation of the dollar is baked in. So the decline in EC reflects both the absolute decline the outlook for EC (ie the lower price of oil) as well as the roughly 20% appreciation of the dollar so far this year.

Quote:

"Unsure how much of the peso devaluation is linked to oil.

In general terms, the US $ has appreciated against many currencies due to the perceived strength of the US economy vs. The global economy. Certainly commodities are major economic factors in many countries economies. ".

Dccpa
12-13-14, 01:03

Re prices of CIB and EC, I should have noted that the prices I was looking at are in dollar terms, that is they are traded in the US, and hence the appreciation of the dollar is baked in. So the decline in EC reflects both the absolute decline the outlook for EC (ie the lower price of oil) as well as the roughly 20% appreciation of the dollar so far this year.

Quote:

In general terms, the US $ has appreciated against many currencies due to the perceived strength of the US economy vs. The global economy. Certainly commodities are major economic factors in many countries economies. ".From what I remember a few months ago, an investment of around $30-35 k qualified you for residency. I smell opportunity cooking, but it isn't done yet.

Shamester
12-13-14, 15:21

Quote:

In general terms, the US $ has appreciated against many currencies due to the perceived strength of the US economy vs. The global economy. Certainly commodities are major economic factors in many countries economies. ".Thanks for the information. Never realized that Petro is Colombia's number one export.

Clearly with oil at around $57/ barrel, Colombia's oil revenues are hugely declining. This obviously leads to a weakening currency which helps tourism but hurts the local economy.

Chesscat
12-16-14, 18:27
More info for the obsessive:

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.PETR.RT.ZS

"oil rents", it seems, is simply the profit margin, that is the market price less the cost of production. The market price will be the same for all countries, but the cost of production differs in each country.

Then, the total profit from oil (exports I assume) is figured as a percentage of gross domestic product.

For Colombia, oil rents or profits have been 8% of GDP for the last several years. It is useful to compare this to other countries. Norway has been at 9. 4%; Mexico at 6. 8%; Russia at 14%; Venezuela at 27%; Brazil at under 3%.

Here's an article on declining oil prices and the effects on certain oil-exporting countries:

http://www.ibtimes.com/how-russia-iran-other-oil-rich-nations-will-be-slammed-falling-crude-oil-prices-1716476

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2014/12/11/oil_falls_below_60_a_barrel_who_s_in_trouble.html

Here's a nice site for Colombian economic info:

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/colombia/indicators

Looks like the budget deficit is at 32% of GDP and foreign reserves are 47 billion US dollars

Another nice article re the oil industry in Colombia:

http://www.eia.gov/countries/cab.cfm?fips=CO

Chesscat
03-14-15, 14:46
For anyone else who might be interested. As we all know by now, Colombia depends largely on oil for its exports and for the strength of its currency. As far as I can tell EcoPetrol or EC is mostly owned by the Colombian government, though a minority of shares trade on public exchanges, including ADS on the NYSE (1 ADR equals 20 Colombian shares).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecopetrol

Recently, that is in the last week (3/13/15) or so, a few executives have been arrested and charged in Colombia for receiving bribes from former PetroTiger chief executive Joseph Sigelman, who himself goes on trial in the US in April.

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/current-former-ecopetrol-employees-charged-with-bribery-in-colombia-20150313-00626

EcoPetrol (the ADR) is at 14.11 as of 3/13/15. This ADR reflects not just the declining fortunes of EcoPetrol but also the declining currency of Colombia, which is at 2,669 as of 3/13/15.

But there are three questions re EcoPetrol: (1) Has the arrest of top executives in Colombia been reflected in the stock price?

(2) The dividend yield is currently north of 15% - when will the dividend be reduced?

(3) If oil prices stay low for a couple of years, how will that affect the profitability of the company?

The larger question for Colombia as a whole is whether the boom of the past 5 years was really an oil boom, and if Colombia as a whole will now experience an oil bust reflected in real estate prices, government instability, etc?

Chesscat.

Dccpa
03-14-15, 17:15
For anyone else who might be interested. As we all know by now, Colombia depends largely on oil for its exports and for the strength of its currency. As far as I can tell EcoPetrol or EC is mostly owned by the Colombian government, though a minority of shares trade on public exchanges, including ADS on the NYSE (1 ADR equals 20 Colombian shares).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecopetrol

Recently, that is in the last week (3/13/15) or so, a few executives have been arrested and charged in Colombia for receiving bribes from former PetroTiger chief executive Joseph Sigelman, who himself goes on trial in the US in April.

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/current-former-ecopetrol-employees-charged-with-bribery-in-colombia-20150313-00626

EcoPetrol (the ADR) is at 14.11 as of 3/13/15. This ADR reflects not just the declining fortunes of EcoPetrol but also the declining currency of Colombia, which is at 2,669 as of 3/13/15.

But there are three questions re EcoPetrol: (1) Has the arrest of top executives in Colombia been reflected in the stock price?

(2) The dividend yield is currently north of 15% - when will the dividend be reduced?

(3) If oil prices stay low for a couple of years, how will that affect the profitability of the company?

The larger question for Colombia as a whole is whether the boom of the past 5 years was really an oil boom, and if Colombia as a whole will now experience an oil bust reflected in real estate prices, government instability, etc?

Chesscat."(1) Has the arrest of top executives in Colombia been reflected in the stock price?" If I had to guess, I would say, that the problems are not fully priced in, but there is no long term track record for the shares and they are hitting lifetime lows. EC is definitely worth keeping an eye on.

"(2) The dividend yield is currently north of 15% - when will the dividend be reduced?" That should definitely happen this year. I started buying LNCO at $9. 50 with the expectation that the dividend would get cut. After the dividend cut, I am getting a 13% return. LNCO should continue lower and I will add as it drops.

"(3) If oil prices stay low for a couple of years, how will that affect the profitability of the company?' Great question. After April 15th, I will look into it more. To a certain extent, the drop in oil prices is offset by the Peso's decline against the USD. If local wages / costs start going up, then that will definitely hurt.

I don't know if I would classify the bounce off the 2008 GFC as a boom. China is slowing, but it is still growing. New sources of oil are not being discovered. By keeping oil prices down, Saudi Arabia punishes, an oil industry competitor (the US Shale Industry), a religious competitor (Iran) and a natural gas competitor (Russia re pipeline proposal). The Saudis will allow prices to rise after enough of the shale industry rigs are idled. The key to remember is that oil is priced at the margin. In the 1980's, on a 3% market oversupply, oil dropped below $10. Higher oil prices will return and likely by the end of the year. Right now we have about 3 more months of inventory building and price declines. Other than a 2 year 1300% return on a coal stock, I missed the energy area during 2008 GFC. This time I am ready.

Chesscat
03-21-15, 17:12
UPDATE 1-Pacific Rubiales Energy suspends dividend, negotiates relaxed debt terms.

7:36 AM ET, 03/18/2015 - Reuters.

(Adds details, background).

March 18 (Reuters) - Pacific Rubiales Energy Corp, the largest private oil producer in Colombia, said it would suspended paying dividends and that lenders had agreed to relax their terms, helping the company shore up funds to weather the slump in oil prices.

The Canada-based company, which cut its capital spending plans in January, said it would save about $52 million per quarter by suspending its quarterly dividend of 16.5 cents per share from the current quarter.

The company also said it had fully draw on its credit facility to pay off short-term bank debt for 2015 and 2016, pushing out the next payment to late 2016, and that it plans to hold the remaining funds of more than $500 million as a buffer against "a possible worsening oil price environment".

Pacific Rubiales said in December it did not expect to tap into its $1. 0 billion revolving credit facility in 2015.

The company said on Wednesday that lenders had agreed to relax terms to allow the company's debt to be 4. 5 times its adjusted earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA).

That is lower than the existing terms which required Pacific Rubiales's debt to stay below 3. 5 times adjusted EBITDA.

After rising for three quarters, the company's adjusted EBITDA fell 36 percent year-over-year to $419.3 million in the fourth-quarter ended December.

A few days back Colombia's state-run Ecopetrol said it would not renew a contract in mid-2016 under which Pacific Rubiales operates the Rubiales oil field, which accounts for nearly half the Canadian company's total production.

Pacific Rubiales's shares closed at see $2. 65 Tuesday on the Toronto Stock Exchange. (Reporting By Shubhankar Chakravorty and Ashutosh Pandey in Bengaluru; Editing by Savio the'Souza).

StudPlayer
08-29-16, 16:57
Hi there Medellin Ex-Pats.

We who live in Medellin know how steep the hills are.

Well now you can let this cherry little 150 CC motorcycle lighten the load.

Check out the fotos to see what I mean.

First USD $800 wins!

Charm City Dave
10-02-16, 19:13
Hi will be in MDE for two week in the middle of October. Looking to meet up with any foreigners spending extended time in the city to get inside info. Drinks, lunch on me.

This will be my second trip and may settle into pattern of two months when the winters are worst at home and two months when the summers are bad here as well.

The Tall Man
10-03-16, 20:13
Hi will be in MDE for two week in the middle of October. Looking to meet up with any foreigners spending extended time in the city to get inside info. Drinks, lunch on me.

This will be my second trip and may settle into pattern of two months when the winters are worst at home and two months when the summers are bad here as well.I am getting into MDE the week of 10-20-16, maybe we can meet up for a casa runs during the day and night time play around the clubs.

Once I confirm I will send you a PM.

The Tall Man.

StudPlayer
10-28-16, 19:31
For you in Medellin seeking excellent housing.

Check out this sweet Medellin Penthouse at only.

Usd $840 a month on a two year lease.

This penthouse has just been painted, has newly varnished wood floors.

A washer and dryer, refrigerator and freezer with ice and water dispenser.

Hot water and an elevator.

Furnished or unfurnished as you please.

Estrato 6 for those of you in the know.

Mention ISG and the apartment comes with a motorcycle (conditions apply).

Easy move in for the right tenant.

Rodeo9112
06-28-17, 04:39
So, I decided about a week ago that, as of October 1, 2017, I'm moving to Medellin! I am fortunate enough to receive a lifetime benefit from the VA which will allow me to maintain (or improve) my current lifestyle -- as it has been- in the Washington DC area. I am vested for a 20 year retirement upon hitting retirement age with my employer. And, I have applied for Social Security Disability, which would also add to my non-taxable income. All in addition to the VA benefit. All this and I'm only 40 years old!

I recently (like a couple of hours ago) applied for the TP-7 (Retirement / Pensioner) temporary visa and am well on my way in that respect.

I have a real estate agent in Manizales, who has found a fully furnished 2 BR apartment with garage and utilities included in El Poblado (Calle 15 area) for $850/ month. Seems pretty nice based on photos. I will put down the deposit to hold the property on Friday. The real estate agent is a Colombian friend of a long-time American friend of mine who also lives near Manizales. I plan to take Spanish classes and work out like a beast while there, as. I won't need to (or be allowed to) work! I also want to explore more of the country, which I hope won't end up with me being on the side of a milk carton.

I intend to give it 3 months (till right before Christmas). I will then try living on the North Coast of Dominican Republic (Puerto Plata-Sosua-Cabarete) and compare the two. However, by March, I believe I will be back in Medellin for good!

I will travel to and from the States once per month to spend time with my minor children.

Prior to making this decision, I planned a mongering trip to Bogota and Medellin from Aug 30-Sep 7. It will now, also double as a general orientation to the area from a more substantive point of view.

I am interested in any candid advice on the initial relocation based on personal experiences. Are there any expat groups that meet regularly to swap stories and ideas?

I hope it will be easier than I think to transition from prepagos to normal girls. I would prefer standing, meaningful relationships to the random hookups with prepagos. If that's possible with so much eye candy!

For those who live in Medellin. How much do you allot per month for a mongering budget? I think that will be my biggest challenge!

JjBee62
06-28-17, 20:03
So, I decided about a week ago that, as of October 1, 2017, I'm moving to Medellin! I am fortunate enough to receive a lifetime benefit from the VA which will allow me to maintain (or improve) my current lifestyle -- as it has been- in the Washington DC area. I am vested for a 20 year retirement upon hitting retirement age with my employer. And, I have applied for Social Security Disability, which would also add to my non-taxable income. All in addition to the VA benefit. All this and I'm only 40 years old!

I recently (like a couple of hours ago) applied for the TP-7 (Retirement / Pensioner) temporary visa and am well on my way in that respect.

I have a real estate agent in Manizales, who has found a fully furnished 2 BR apartment with garage and utilities included in El Poblado (Calle 15 area) for $850/ month. Seems pretty nice based on photos. I will put down the deposit to hold the property on Friday. The real estate agent is a Colombian friend of a long-time American friend of mine who also lives near Manizales. I plan to take Spanish classes and work out like a beast while there, as. I won't need to (or be allowed to) work! I also want to explore more of the country, which I hope won't end up with me being on the side of a milk carton.

I intend to give it 3 months (till right before Christmas). I will then try living on the North Coast of Dominican Republic (Puerto Plata-Sosua-Cabarete) and compare the two. However, by March, I believe I will be back in Medellin for good!

I will travel to and from the States once per month to spend time with my minor children.

Prior to making this decision, I planned a mongering trip to Bogota and Medellin from Aug 30-Sep 7. It will now, also double as a general orientation to the area from a more substantive point of view.

I am interested in any candid advice on the initial relocation based on personal experiences. Are there any expat groups that meet regularly to swap stories and ideas?

I hope it will be easier than I think to transition from prepagos to normal girls. I would prefer standing, meaningful relationships to the random hookups with prepagos. If that's possible with so much eye candy!

For those who live in Medellin. How much do you allot per month for a mongering budget? I think that will be my biggest challenge!Welcome to Colombia.

First a question. Is the apartment on Calle 15 or Calle 15 Sur? Both are El Poblado, but 15 Sur is a little better IMO.

Your relocation is much different from mine. I'm nearly 3 months in and still working on my TP-4 visa. Paperwork SNAFU with the boss. If they can't straighten it out soon I need to take a short trip to get another 90 days.

If you get your visa before your Aug 30 trip you will need to get your Cedula Extranjero on that trip. You only have 15 days after entering the country. Before leaving for the DR shop around for other apartments. You can probably find a better deal.

Depending on your size, you may want to plan on buying new clothes each time you go back to the US. I have a tough time finding shoes and pants.

Shop around. Euro and D1 stores are cheaper than Carulla. Except for Homecenter, big box stores, lije Jumbo and Exito, don't have much in the hardware department. You probably need to go to a ferreteria. Buy a bicycle. Every Sunday and holiday (and there are lots of holidays) one side of Poblado Ave is closed for ciclovia, or as I call it, the asses in spandex parade. They do the same on Las Vegas Ave for 2 hours each Tuesday and Thursday night. Very popular way to get more exercise.

Plenty of options for Spanish classes and prices for several are reasonable. I've been putting off classes, but will probably start soon. Right now I'm getting weekly classes from someone who looks like a 20 year old Brooke Shields with curves. All it costs me is a few English lessons and a cup of coffee.

The Medellin Living site organizes a monthly meet and greet, but I haven't been.

People are friendly and more relaxed, except when they are driving. Expect delays. 10:00 means 10:15 or 10:30. Even Burger King will take 15 minutes (I had a moment of weakness). Grocery store lines move slowly. Just learn to enjoy the delays.

Ask people in Las Vegas how much they budget for the casinos. Most of them don't budget any. They might take $20 on payday, but not enough to figure it into expenses. They don't do it, because it's easy to get put of control.

What I do is, when I really feel the need, I go spend the money. I don't plan on 3 or 4 times a week. I just put it off, because I don't have a time limit. Tomorrow I will still be here and the pussy will still be here. Plus there are plenty of things to do and places to see. Air travel is cheap inside Colombia.

Rodeo9112
06-30-17, 21:06
Thanks for the comments Jjbee!

I just got back from the Colombian Consulate in DC. I went to pay the Visa application fee since I wasn't able to pay it online. Well, the interviewer lady ended up just approving me on the spot! If I had my passport, she would have affixed it right there. I was just expecting to pay the application fee of $52 usd, but she told me if I wanted to pay the $211 usd visa fee, she would approve it as of today. So, I did and she did! Visa is multiple entry good for 1 year. After I renew for four years in a row, I can apply for permanent residence. Just showing my five temporary visas. I'm excited!

JjBee62
07-01-17, 05:12
Thanks for the comments Jjbee!

I just got back from the Colombian Consulate in DC. I went to pay the Visa application fee since I wasn't able to pay it online. Well, the interviewer lady ended up just approving me on the spot! If I had my passport, she would have affixed it right there. I was just expecting to pay the application fee of $52 usd, but she told me if I wanted to pay the $211 usd visa fee, she would approve it as of today. So, I did and she did! Visa is multiple entry good for 1 year. After I renew for four years in a row, I can apply for permanent residence. Just showing my five temporary visas. I'm excited!Great news! I have to go next week to get my 2nd 90 on the tourist visa, while the boss gets the paperwork straightened out. These 3 day weekends are making it tough to get things done. Third one in a row this weekend.

Rodeo9112
07-02-17, 14:20
Just wondering about long term lodging options, general neighborhood options near EAFIT University (or others). Are there any Strata 5-6 Barrios near there? Do the universities have on campus housing for the students or must they live on the economy (or the generosity of others / family)? Is the area near the campus saturated with bars and clubs like many in the US? How about other universities in Medellin?

Thanks in advance!

JjBee62
07-03-17, 00:17
Just wondering about long term lodging options, general neighborhood options near EAFIT University (or others). Are there any Strata 5-6 Barrios near there? Do the universities have on campus housing for the students or must they live on the economy (or the generosity of others / family)? Is the area near the campus saturated with bars and clubs like many in the US? How about other universities in Medellin?

Thanks in advance!EAFIT is in estrato 6 area. The other major university in Medellin is UPB which I believe is in an estrato 5 area. EAFIT is on the western edge of Poblado, a short walk from the Aguacatala Metro station. With the metro there's plenty of housing options within range. The better housing is to the east and to the south.

There's a few restaurants near EAFIT, but the heart of the restaurant and bar area is about a 7000 peso taxi ride up the hill and north in Parque Lleras. There are also several bar and restaurant options along Avenida Poblado between Parque Poblado and Centro Comercial Santa Fe.

If you're going to be at a university, the students are your best resource for local food options.

UPB is in Laureles, south of the Carrera 70 area. Lots of clubs and restaurants nearby. It's not as upscale as Poblado, but still a good area.

PepolesBuddy
01-23-18, 20:20
Any recommendations on well reviewed real estate agents that will not grab NGO price me? Also are there review sites on companies like a BBB or yelp in Medellin?

Cm6363
09-05-19, 20:05
I have lived in Bogota in the past and enjoyed it. I would like to change cities though.

In Bogota, Universidad Nacional is a good, inexpensive place to study Spanish and also enjoy the green surroundings you don't get enough of in Bogota. There are nice barrios right next store too.

Can anyone recommend which university also provides Spanish classes for foreigners and an adjoining neighborhood which would be a nice place to live? I will be taking a trip to Medellin shortly and will try to find an apartment in that neighborhood for just a week. (The longer trip will be later.) Stratos 4-6 are okay.

Thanks!

JjBee62
09-05-19, 23:00
I have lived in Bogota in the past and enjoyed it. I would like to change cities though.

In Bogota, Universidad Nacional is a good, inexpensive place to study Spanish and also enjoy the green surroundings you don't get enough of in Bogota. There are nice barrios right next store too.

Can anyone recommend which university also provides Spanish classes for foreigners and an adjoining neighborhood which would be a nice place to live? I will be taking a trip to Medellin shortly and will try to find an apartment in that neighborhood for just a week. (The longer trip will be later.) Stratos 4-6 are okay.

Thanks!EAFIT in Medellin has the best program. It's located in El Poblado along Avenida Las Vegas midway between the Poblado and Aguacatela metro stations. I'd recommend looking on the east side of the Metro Line between Avenida Poblado and Avenida Las Vegas and south of the university. You can go down into Envigado and still have an easy way to get there via the Metro.

Just some more information. The language arts office is located in the EAFIT annex, which is on the east side of Avenida Las Vegas. If you enter off of Avenida Las Vegas, the building is right there. Standing at the bottom of the steps, the admission office is to your left.

Cm6363
09-17-19, 19:47
EAFIT in Medellin has the best program. It's located in El Poblado along Avenida Las Vegas midway between the Poblado and Aguacatela metro stations. I'd recommend looking on the east side of the Metro Line between Avenida Poblado and Avenida Las Vegas and south of the university. You can go down into Envigado and still have an easy way to get there via the Metro.

Just some more information. The language arts office is located in the EAFIT annex, which is on the east side of Avenida Las Vegas. If you enter off of Avenida Las Vegas, the building is right there. Standing at the bottom of the steps, the admission office is to your left.Thanks JjBee. Excellent info.

Is AirBNB the best way to find an apartment for 3-6 days for next week? Any other ways you would recommend? I would like to have a similar experience to what I would do for a 2 month period.

Cheers, Cmcm.

Sanga
11-18-19, 01:53
I've done a lot of research and it seems the only negative for me retiring in Colombia is the tax law. It would take a big hit on my pension.

My plan right now is to spend less than six months and Medellin and the rest in Costa Rica.

I have a lot of experience in Costa Rica the big negative for me is the prices have gone way up for everything.

Could anyone recommend a second country that would have plenty available Chicas.

Right now I'the be less expensive for middle split Colombia In Costa Rica then to live full-time in Columbia based on the tax hit.

Would appreciate anyone's opinion on which second country they would make their Choice.