PDA

View Full Version : Hotels in Vientiane

Red Kilt
07-15-12, 05:51
I started a new thread to answer OTRs question as the old thread title was "off-putting" (Is Laos better to avoid for mongering)

Cheaper hotels are Anou (with a disco / nightcub downstairs) ; Lane Xang (close to the Nam Phou and the centre of town) ; Beau Rivage and Vansana (both on the riverside and overlooking the Mekong). Also close to Bor Pen Yang so not far to go "home" if you find someone there.

I am always working when in Laos so I stay more up-market as my employer pays my bills and expects me to stay in a secure 4 star place. I am sure others here can identify other cheaper and better hotels

Naughty
07-15-12, 13:11
I think that other thread used to just be the Ventiane thread and it's name got changed a few weeks ago when there was some sort of mysterious disruption to many of the forums. I think it should be renamed back.

Red Kilt
07-19-12, 12:36
I think that other thread used to just be the Ventiane thread and it's name got changed a few weeks ago when there was some sort of mysterious disruption to many of the forums. I think it should be renamed back.I agree Naughty.

Mods / Admin / Jackson. Please change thread called "Is Lao better to avoid for mongering?" back to its original title "Vientiane"

Wolvenvacht
07-19-12, 19:20
I stayed in the Mali Namphu Guest House in Vientiane in May this year. Rooms are small, but have all you need and for 35 USD including breakfast for 2 (I stayed there with my Thai GF) I think it gives nice value for money.

Oh yes, they have free WiFi in the rooms.

Is it guest-friendly? Of course not, it is against the law to bring a Lao lady to your room unless you are married to her.

Otari
07-28-12, 19:51
I started a new thread to answer OTRs question as the old thread title was "off-putting" (Is Laos better to avoid for mongering)

Cheaper hotels are Anou (with a disco / nightcub downstairs) ; Lane Xang (close to the Nam Phou and the centre of town) ; Beau Rivage and Vansana (both on the riverside and overlooking the Mekong). Also close to Bor Pen Yang so not far to go "home" if you find someone there.

I am always working when in Laos so I stay more up-market as my employer pays my bills and expects me to stay in a secure 4 star place. I am sure others here can identify other cheaper and better hotelsThanks for advice Red Kilt about the hotels.

Do you mean:

- Vansana Riverside Hotel (Fa Ngum St) or Vansana Hotel (Phonthan Road)?

- Hotel Beau Rivage Mekong (Fa Ngum Road) or Hotel Beau Rivage (Fa Ngum Road, Ban Seetarn Neua)?

- Lane Xang Hotel (Pangkham St.) or Lane Xang Princess Hotel Hotel (27 Ban Hatsadi Tay, Chantabury)?

- Anou Paradise Hotel (Hengboun St.)?

Do you have any idea if those hotels are girl friendly? It may ends up with a frustration if I would spend all the night hunting in Bor Pen Yang and then the girl will be refused by the reception.

Can you recommend a hotel with a save box inside the room? I feel much more confortable having my valuables in a save box in my room.

What is the price range for a little bit better hotels than 'back packers' hotels from your post in the Vientiane thread?

Red Kilt
07-29-12, 08:42
Do you mean:

- Vansana Riverside Hotel (Fa Ngum St) or Vansana Hotel (Phonthan Road)?

- Hotel Beau Rivage Mekong (Fa Ngum Road) or Hotel Beau Rivage (Fa Ngum Road, Ban Seetarn Neua)?

- Lane Xang Hotel (Pangkham St.) or Lane Xang Princess Hotel Hotel (27 Ban Hatsadi Tay, Chantabury)?

- Anou Paradise Hotel (Hengboun St.)?Hmmm I thought my post was fairly explicit when I mentioned hotels facing the Mekong on the riverside (which is also Fa Ngum Road)

*Vansana Riverside; Hotel Beau Rivage (only one on riverside) , Lane Xang Hotel (I never mentioned Princess) ; Anou (only one Anou. This is it)

*I don't know anything about Room Safes or Keep Boxes in the cheaper hotels.

* Just search through Agoda or Asia Hotels or Hotels. Com for more upmarket places.

Hope this helps

Otari
07-30-12, 18:21
Hmmm I thought my post was fairly explicit when I mentioned hotels facing the Mekong on the riverside (which is also Fa Ngum Road)Thanks for advice Red Kilt this helps a lot. I've never been in Vientiane I'm planning a trip there – I've used Google and found some similar names.

Knight 1001
10-06-12, 10:59
Hmmm I thought my post was fairly explicit when I mentioned hotels facing the Mekong on the riverside (which is also Fa Ngum Road)

*Vansana Riverside; Hotel Beau Rivage (only one on riverside) , Lane Xang Hotel (I never mentioned Princess) ; Anou (only one Anou. This is it)

*I don't know anything about Room Safes or Keep Boxes in the cheaper hotels.

* Just search through Agoda or Asia Hotels or Hotels. Com for more upmarket places.

Hope this helpsHi Bro,

Could you, or anyone who has the knowledge, recommend a nice hotel, safe but which would be girlfriendly today, in the range of 50 to 80 USD and not too far from where the action is? The info here seems somewhat a bit outdated.

I have been to La Ong Dao 1 3 years ago to have a girl there and the rooms were very very basic. It did not feel like a nice hotel to stay in and was far out of the night life area. In fact there was no more pictures posted in the picture gallery since mine 3 years ago. I can hardly believe that no one has taken any pictures in Laos for 3 years. Would be nice of the bros to share a bit more.

What would be the best places for pick up of girls, preferably not hardcore pros?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Joe Looking
10-08-12, 00:09
Hi Bro,

Could you, or anyone who has the knowledge, recommend a nice hotel, safe but which would be girlfriendly today, in the range of 50 to 80 USD and not too far from where the action is? The info here seems somewhat a bit outdated.

I have been to La Ong Dao 1 3 years ago to have a girl there and the rooms were very very basic. It did not feel like a nice hotel to stay in and was far out of the night life area. In fact there was no more pictures posted in the picture gallery since mine 3 years ago. I can hardly believe that no one has taken any pictures in Laos for 3 years. Would be nice of the bros to share a bit more.

What would be the best places for pick up of girls, preferably not hardcore pros?

Your help would be much appreciated.At your price, the Lao Orchid on Chao Anou Road is a great place to stay. It will be around 50 USD / night and is near the riverfront. It is a very nice hotel and bringing a woman will be no problem. I got my own the night I stayed there but another guest told me the guy working the desk offered to arrange one for him.

Start your night at Bor Pen Yang, which you can walk to. Just casually ask the women there where to go when Bor Pen Yang closes. There are only a handful of venues and people seem to migrate from one to the next. Another option that is more low key is the tex-mex joint facing the river. It gets a smaller crowd but there are a couple of working girls there from time to time. You'll see the same girls from place to place so my advice is to find one that you like and stick with her. Oh yeah. Watch out for the lady boys on bikes! I would also avoid having a tuk-tuk take you for a lady. It is easy enough to find one of your own by going to Bor Pen Yang, Tex-Mex, Sam Lo, My Home.

Jcr153
11-23-12, 05:11
Has anyone attempted to bring a girl into the Inter city Hotel right next to Bor Pen Nyang? Or know if it is gf?

Jcr153
11-24-12, 13:06
Has anyone attempted to bring a girl into the Inter city Hotel right next to Bor Pen Nyang? Or know if it is gf?I've answered my own question. Inter City Hotel is gf.

Pablo
02-10-13, 18:10
My company is sending me to Vientiane for a week next month and my travel agent has given me a few business hotels to choose from: Vientiane Plaza Hotel, Settha Palace Hotel, Lao Plaza Hotel, Mekong Hotel, and Salana Boutique Hotel. I think she just pulled them off Agoda or hotels.com or something like that.

The company is paying so cost isn't really important but Girl friendliness is all important. Can anyone help me out and let me know if any of these are definitely GF, or just as important to know, not GF?

The second important factor is how close to the action the hotel is. I don't know the geography of Vientiane, but it would be nice to be able to walk between the hotel and the pick up spots.

Also, can anyone tell me if it's common practice to have the girl sign in at the front desk when visiting?

Thanks in advance for any info to help me out.

Red Kilt
02-14-13, 09:54
My company is sending me to Vientiane for a week next month and my travel agent has given me a few business hotels to choose from: Vientiane Plaza Hotel, Settha Palace Hotel, Lao Plaza Hotel, Mekong Hotel, and Salana Boutique Hotel. I think she just pulled them off Agoda or hotels.com or something like that.All my trips to Vientiane have been business related too and my company has booked me.

As a result, I was very wary about doing anything that might draw attention to myself. I value my reputation highly and don't want to get caught up in any "scams", remembering that prostitution is illegal in Vientiane. However, the situation is changing as Vientiane becomes more tourist orientated and so it is likely that rules may be relaxed more and more as each week goes by (literally).

The more upmarket or expensive hotels are not openly gf but the security may turn a blind eye. On my first visit the hotel I stayed in actually had a sign prominently displayed that said "no guests are allowed in rooms after 7 pm unless married". I assumed it meant "to each other" LOL. You could actually ask the security at the front door if you can bring your girlfriend into the hotel and see what he says and how he says it.

The best guides are the girls themselves. Ask them if they can come with you to XYZ Hotel and see what they say. I have stayed at Salana Boutique for 7 days and it markets itself as a business / family hotel. I decided it was not gf when a girl I met at Bor Pen Yang said she could not go with me there, so I did not bring anyone there for the 7 days. My latest trip I stayed at another 4 star hotel (not on your list) that a girl said was definitely gf so when I knew that I never had any trouble bringing girls back.

Settha Palace and Lao Plaza are both up there with the most expensive hotels in Vientiane, especially Settha Palace. It is way over-priced (IMHO). Lao Plaza is a short walk to the fountain and then on to the riverfront. It is very "central" to everything. I don't know what are their rules re girls.

Mekong Hotel is out towards the airport (too far)

Vientiane Plaza is along the road near the morning market and may be gf but I wouldn't stay there.

When you say "the action" there is no central focal point. If you read the forum you will see that many places to meet women are mentioned (Bor Pen Yang, Kop Chai Deu, various hotel carparks etc) , and they are all widely separated. Wherever you stay you will have to walk some distances or else use tuktuks (and the drivers will try to take you to all manner of places, some of which may be dodgy (again, read this forum)

Maybe some other members may have some more updates.

Pablo
02-20-13, 05:39
All my trips to Vientiane have been business related too and my company has booked me.Thanks RK, we're in the same situation when it comes to staying below the radar. If something were to happen and somehow get back to my company, it would be an ugly scene and one I don't want to be in.

I did read the entire forum, it didn't take long! I have a few ideas in mind. Maybe Intercity. I'll post my review after my stay. I'm looking forward to a new adventure, but a bit apprehensive with the crazy Lao law and the possible shakedown scams that can come with it.

Red Kilt
02-20-13, 08:20
Thanks RK, we're in the same situation when it comes to staying below the radar. If something were to happen and somehow get back to my company, it would be an ugly scene and one I don't want to be in.

I did read the entire forum, it didn't take long! I have a few ideas in mind. Maybe Intercity. I'll post my review after my stay. I'm looking forward to a new adventure, but a bit apprehensive with the crazy Lao law and the possible shakedown scams that can come with it.I am looking forward to your updated experience Pablo, as we both seem to be in similar situations.

PM me if you want to keep any particular details separate from the main board.

Akumas
04-24-13, 15:11
Not quite Vientiane, but I can confirm that the My Dream Boutique Resort in Luang Prabang is guest friendly. Report to follow in Other Areas.

Akumas
04-25-13, 18:04
The new Ibis Vientiane is nearly complete and will be opening soon. It's always good to see an international braded hotel in Vientiane, more options for us. Keep an eye on Accor's 50% sale to get it at half price when it opens.

Red Kilt
04-04-17, 03:59
I thought I would give this thread a bit of a kick along as it is now out-dated.

Anyone have any experiences regarding GF hotels?

The other threads mention that Lao Plaza allows girls but they apply a fee (10000 kip) but maybe this is only if you book a single room.

There are a lot of new hotels opening up, and as the "rules for engagement" become more lenient (because increasing tourism demands it), it would be good to have some updates.

I guess it's only a matter of time before hotels in Vientiane become similar to most Bangkok Sukhumvit hotels, where it is easier to list the non-GF hotels because they are few.

Chacal60
05-22-17, 22:51
Dropped some coin and stayed at the Dhavara for a few nights last week, and pleased with the place. Breakfast was fresh and room very spacious and the bed large enough for three. Most importantly, GF with no charge although my lady showed up around six and left before 10 pm (which I've learned is the witching hour for overnight stays).

Red Kilt
05-26-17, 06:20
Dropped some coin and stayed at the Dhavara for a few nights last week, and pleased with the place. Breakfast was fresh and room very spacious and the bed large enough for three. Most importantly, GF with no charge although my lady showed up around six and left before 10 pm (which I've learned is the witching hour for overnight stays).Thanks for the update Chacal.

I have walked past Dhavara many times and it always looked too glitzy to me, as many South Asian hotels tend to be. Your report is helpful, although it would also be good to know what is the policy after 10 pm. I suspect it has become much more lenient across most Vientiane hotels now as tourism matures in the region.

Chacal60
05-29-17, 00:46
Given that she arrived direct to my room (I always call reception and tell them to let the lady come straight up), I assume that there would have been no problem for an overnight. Previous experience is that around ten pm there is a call and a request for a copy of her ID. The last time that happened we were literally in flagrante, the receptionist asked to talk with her, she hung up, and we just finished up so she was out by 10:15.

I get a better nights rest on my own, to be honest. But my sense is that the Dhavara is fairly liberal. It's a bit fancy, true, but not over the top. Not for those on a budget, and very centrally located for sleepy VTE.

Thanks for the update Chacal.

I have walked past Dhavara many times and it always looked too glitzy to me, as many South Asian hotels tend to be. Your report is helpful, although it would also be good to know what is the policy after 10 pm. I suspect it has become much more lenient across most Vientiane hotels now as tourism matures in the region.

Red Kilt
06-06-17, 04:20
I get a better nights rest on my own, to be honest. But my sense is that the Dhavara is fairly liberal. It's a bit fancy, true, but not over the top. Not for those on a budget, and very centrally located for sleepy VTE.In my original post I used "south-asian" to refer to the Indian region as I had assumed Dhavara was very much influenced by that culture given the glitzy gold decor all over.

Good to know it's accessible to most travellers (non cheap charlies).

The position is excellent.

Pwrmnd
06-08-18, 16:49
I'v e heard that almost all hotels in Vientiane are guest friendly now. But does anyone have any specific experiences with the IBIS or Crowne Plaza with regard to guests?

Or do you think it's still better to go with three star hotels, who are more relaxed about visiting guests?

Buksida1
11-06-18, 09:29
The Ibis charged me $82 and has a pleasant staff with a good breakfast. However, the room was incredibly small, about 10 x 12 feet. Checked out and moved to Laopoet. New hotel with large rooms, a great bathroom, super bed and a good breakfast. The contents (2 beer and soft drinks) of the fridge are included and restocked every day. Rooftop swimming pool that give you some river view and sunsets. Introductory rate is $68. Very girl friendly. I highly recommend the Laopoet hotel.

Red Kilt
11-10-18, 12:16
Laopoet. New hotel with large rooms, a great bathroom, super bed and a good breakfast. The contents (2 beer and soft drinks) of the fridge are included and restocked every day. Rooftop swimming pool that give you some river view and sunsets. Introductory rate is $68. Very girl friendly. I highly recommend the Laopoet hotel.Great find Buks. I have been waiting for this place to open. Great location too. Thanks for the heads-up.

Mogwai
11-12-18, 08:41
I highly recommend the Laopoet hotel.Thanks for the tip Buksida1. Just one question: did the rooms have wifi and a chair or a couch? There's not much information on their website.

By the way: it's Lao Poet Hotel.

Buksida1
11-12-18, 10:32
Very good WiFi. Large rooms with a writing desk and chair. A little dark inside with 2 windows that open. They are trying hard to please the guests. I think that the south African manager would consider most requests. They will not take tour groups, which is a serious plus!

Stradivari
07-13-21, 23:10
I'v e heard that almost all hotels in Vientiane are guest friendly now. But does anyone have any specific experiences with the IBIS or Crowne Plaza with regard to guests?

Or do you think it's still better to go with three star hotels, who are more relaxed about visiting guests?I'd be surprised. Once I asked a number of them per email, answer was mostly negative. I stayed in Beau Rivage, one of the loveliest places on the riverside, and it definitely is not guest friendly.