PDA

View Full Version : What is a "Puff"?

Neurosynth
08-12-13, 20:36
Since now seems to be the time for these kinds of questions.

I see references to places called "Puffs" What kind of place is that?

Hessen Bub
08-12-13, 21:32
Puff = brothel. Could be anything from a Laufhaus to a FKK club.

HB

Member #4364
08-12-13, 22:32
It's street slang for a brothel; mostly not the high class of them.

Neurosynth
08-13-13, 09:09
Thanks all!

Eeyore
08-29-13, 03:28
It seems like regional dialect. I heard the term used extensively in Bavaria and Schwabia, but don't recall it being said once in Hamburg where people would say "laufhaus" or "bordell" to describe what was a "puff" in Munich or Stuttgart.

BionicMan
08-29-13, 03:48
A Finnish guy I once met, called the brothel "puffa house", so the term is geographically broader.

Eeyore
09-02-13, 19:05
A Finnish guy I once met, called the brothel "puffa house", so the term is geographically broader.Well, I don't know Finnish or what they call brothels in Finland, but I'd be careful how I use the term outside of Southern Germany. In some dialects of English,"puffa" is slang for gay or "poofer". If one is straight and looking for a brothel, asking direction for a "puffa house" might cause one to end up in an undesirable place.

SwingerLover
09-03-13, 10:38
There is no such word as "Puffa" in the German language.

Puff (pronounced "pooff", but with a short syllable like "look") means brothel, bordello, hoor-house; whatever the quality and regardless of the region. The term is used in Hamburg and Berlin as commonly as in Hesse, Bavaria or Stuttgart. A Laufhaus (a walk-house, lope-house) is always a Puff, but of course not every Puff is a Laufhaus. Usually the term Puff is used in a more demeaning manner than brothel or bordello.