PDA

View Full Version : OTAY MESA Border crossing Basics.

SBeach25
08-15-13, 06:38
I've been getting a lot of questions about Crossing at Otey. So I'm going to make this as simple as possible.

1. Times are about half the time or less than San YSidro. You can check the times here:

http://traffic.calit2.net/border

2. Yes, you can catch a bus to and from Otay to the Trolley:

http://developer.sdmts.com/sdmtsapp/.splay=V&tod=wd

3. Where to park and cost: 5/24 hrs or if your lucky along the street for free. Put this into google maps.

32. 552289-116. 943547.

4. Cab fare: check your negotiation skills: $12-18.

There is a govt run cab when you cross over to Mex but the average cost will be about $15. Walk down a little and go cross over to the other side where cabs are dropping those who are going to US. You can negotiate a better fare.

Hope this helps.

Leo Ryder
08-17-13, 03:21
I've been getting a lot of questions about Crossing at Otey. So I'm going to make this as simple as possible.

1. Times are about half the time or less than San YSidro. You can check the times here:

3. Where to park and cost: 5/24 hrs or if your lucky along the street for free. Put this into google maps.

32. 552289-116. 943547.

There is a govt run cab when you cross over to Mex but the average cost will be about $15. Walk down a little and go cross over to the other side where cabs are dropping those who are going to US. You can negotiate a better fare.

Hope this helps.Thank you dude for your great help. I took your advice and I am very happy about. Coming back through Otay is like a breeze.

SBeach25
08-18-13, 19:07
Thank you dude for your great help. I took your advice and I am very happy about. Coming back through Otay is like a breeze.Always glad to help others have a more enjoyable experience.

SBeach25
08-18-13, 19:08
Adding another link I found for any newbies that have questions.

http://www.tijuanafaq.com/

Spartan94
09-16-15, 00:47
Hello.

Since this is thread for Otay Mesa Port of Entry posting here. Based on post on other thread (on here) it seems that Mexican officials are stamping passport at the San Ysidro Port. Since I don't want my passport stamped one post suggested OTM. Any update if they are stamping passports at Otay? Does anyone have an idea how long it takes from OTM to the Zona? Below post (2013) says $7. 50 or 100 pesos for taxi. I'm taking it it shouldn't take me more then $10. I guess I can offer $10 and see if one of them accepts my offer. Hate the idea to waste time going from San Ysidro to OTM to have to go back the same direction since I am always on a time frame.

Thanks for info.

ItsMeBeyatch
09-16-15, 01:27
2 weeks ago I crossed otay. No stamping. I share your same concerns about the passport being stamped. Once you enter otay cross over to the entrance side of the USA border (make a left and walk through the cars coming into the USA) and find a exchange place and go through the back side of it into a parking lot. There are taxis there and they will charge you $10 to the arch.

Hello.

Since this is thread for Otay Mesa Port of Entry posting here. Based on post on other thread (on here) it seems that Mexican officials are stamping passport at the San Ysidro Port. Since I don't want my passport stamped one post suggested OTM. Any update if they are stamping passports at Otay? Does anyone have an idea how long it takes from OTM to the Zona? Below post (2013) says $7. 50 or 100 pesos for taxi. I'm taking it it shouldn't take me more then $10. I guess I can offer $10 and see if one of them accepts my offer. Hate the idea to waste time going from San Ysidro to OTM to have to go back the same direction since I am always on a time frame.

Thanks for info.

Phordphan
09-16-15, 01:31
Hello.

Thanks for info.Currently they are not stamping passports, and really don't have the facilities to do so. I'm sure this will change because there is a ton of construction going on at Otay, on the Mexican side.

After crossing you MUST cross the road to the drop-off area (follow a local) in order to pick up a Taxi Libre. If you stay on the entrance side and get a White / Gold taxi they will [CodeWord123] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord123) the snot out of you. Otay to Hong Kong should be about 100 pesos, surely no more than 150, depending on the time of day / night. Night fares are usually a bit higher. If the driver wants 100, give him $7. If he wants 150, give him $10. That's fair.

Time depends on traffic. You didn't say what time you'd be doing this. During the day, figure between 25 and 30 minutes. Night will be a bit faster.

Go someplace different. Have him take you to La Cueva del Peludo (it's a bit closer to Otay) for a taste of how locals party. The beers are tons cheaper.

Artisttyp
09-16-15, 02:35
It doesn't matter where or how you enter. You still need an FMM. Any immigration official will tell you that.

Spartan94
09-16-15, 06:03
Thanks for the information it will be useful.

I go during the day. I get to Tijuana by 9:30/10 am and leave by 2:00 pm if line isn't long if it is I leave sooner; I know I need to get a Sentri card. I recall La Cueva del Peludo mentioned before here. Is it like Adelitas / Hong Kong where you buy fichas, chit-chat see how girl is, and take them to hotel next door? Or is this a 'normal' bar? How would it be during early part of day.

FMM?

Phordphan
09-16-15, 19:34
Thanks for the information it will be useful.

I go during the day. I get to Tijuana by 9:30/10 am and leave by 2:00 pm if line isn't long if it is I leave sooner; I know I need to get a Sentri card. I recall La Cueva del Peludo mentioned before here. Is it like Adelitas / Hong Kong where you buy fichas, chit-chat see how girl is, and take them to hotel next door? Or is this a 'normal' bar? How would it be during early part of day.

FMM?It is like a ZN bar, in that they have tables, a stage, a large dance floor, fichas, girls, a hotel next door, etc. It's a bit like a much larger Tropical. Beers are 17 pesos. Unfortunately, although I've been several times, it was always with other people, so I never had the chance to go arriba. I *thought* the fichas were in the 90 peso range, although I haven't purchased one in a while and they could be more. I'm told the girls' prices are the same, although the crowd is certainly not high-rolling locals, so I do wonder. I can't believe, given the crowd, that the girls want $80 to $100 as they seem to want in HK. I can't tell you what it will be like at 10:00 am. I know they're open after 1:00 pm. Their web site doesn't say, one way or another, but you can contact them. www.lacuevabar.com.

I hope you go and post a detailed report. It would make a nice change from the constant AB / HK content.

Jackie888
09-17-15, 18:29
It is like a ZN bar, in that they have tables, a stage, a large dance floor, fichas, girls, a hotel next door, etc. It's a bit like a much larger Tropical. Beers are 17 pesos. Unfortunately, although I've been several times, it was always with other people, so I never had the chance to go arriba. I *thought* the fichas were in the 90 peso range, although I haven't purchased one in a while and they could be more. I'm told the girls' prices are the same, although the crowd is certainly not high-rolling locals, so I do wonder. I can't believe, given the crowd, that the girls want $80 to $100 as they seem to want in HK. I can't tell you what it will be like at 10:00 am. I know they're open after 1:00 pm. Their web site doesn't say, one way or another, but you can contact them. www.lacuevabar.com.

I hope you go and post a detailed report. It would make a nice change from the constant AB / HK content.Their website offers several coupons including a free ride from / to the border. So it may be worth it a test run.

Spartan94
09-25-15, 06:14
Howdy.

Well no detailed report sorry. I did email them and they replied that they opened at 10 am. I went to to Tijuana. Via Otay. This past Tuesday and got to La Cueva around 10:30 am it was open but no one was in there no girls nor any customers so I left. I can only report don't plan on going in the morning / day. At least. It was worth stopping wouldn't know it if I hadn't stopped by. If I ever get to go at night I'll stop by.

As to the whole issue going on at San Ysidro Port it will also going to occur at Otay. There was a government employee for tourist department right when you enter Mexico that I asked and he confirmed it. As to when I heard 2 things: a man on Trolley was saying that he talked to some CBP guys and they told him it would start in November which a lady respond that was not true someone in Tijuana told her that they were behind schedule. I asked the taxi driver if he knew when construction be completed he said that they had projected it be a 2 year project and were 6 months (or 3 months) into it. Doubt it start in November place didn't look like it was about done to open that soon.

Again thanks for info I would have gotten lost without you guys telling me where to go to get taxi. Ride on second taxi was an adventure in itself on how fast guy was driving within city and taking yellow / red lights.

Jackie888
09-25-15, 19:02
Howdy.

Well no detailed report sorry. I did email them and they replied that they opened at 10 am. I went to to Tijuana. Via Otay. This past Tuesday and got to La Cueva around 10:30 am it was open but no one was in there no girls nor any customers so I left. I can only report don't plan on going in the morning / day. At least. It was worth stopping wouldn't know it if I hadn't stopped by. If I ever get to go at night I'll stop by.

As to the whole issue going on at San Ysidro Port it will also going to occur at Otay. There was a government employee for tourist department right when you enter Mexico that I asked and he confirmed it. As to when I heard 2 things: a man on Trolley was saying that he talked to some CBP guys and they told him it would start in November which a lady respond that was not true someone in Tijuana told her that they were behind schedule. I asked the taxi driver if he knew when construction be completed he said that they had projected it be a 2 year project and were 6 months (or 3 months) into it. Doubt it start in November place didn't look like it was about done to open that soon.

Again thanks for info I would have gotten lost without you guys telling me where to go to get taxi. Ride on second taxi was an adventure in itself on how fast guy was driving within city and taking yellow / red lights.Appreciate the effort, but Tuesday morning is a bad time to do a recon mission. I think that there is about 2 girls in HK and 2 girls in Adelitas at that same time and they're probably a part of the cleaning crew.

ItsMeBeyatch
09-26-15, 00:14
Construction started 7 months ago. It'll be a while till they open up that section

Howdy.

Again thanks for info I would have gotten lost without you guys telling me where to go to get taxi. Ride on second taxi was an adventure in itself on how fast guy was driving within city and taking yellow / red lights..

Phordphan
09-26-15, 02:32
Howdy.

Again thanks for info I would have gotten lost without you guys telling me where to go to get taxi. Ride on second taxi was an adventure in itself on how fast guy was driving within city and taking yellow / red lights.Thanks for TOFTT, Spartan. I wasn't surprised that there was nobody there that early, especially on a Tuesday. I suspect there would be more people there, that early, on a Friday or Saturday. But we all appreciate different TRs, even if they weren't successful.

The target date for the construction probably was November (LOL), but when you get the US government AND the Mexican government working together, it takes forever. It may be finished in November, but nobody knows which year!

Scriviner
12-03-15, 02:04
I haven't crossed at San Ysidro since May so it appears my experience there may be a bit dated. I've been to the zona about 10 times over two years.

Business brought me to SoCal and I had Monday free so I thought I would try crossing at Otay. Overall I was happier with the experience, but that experience had a price tag to it. Events happened between 5:30 pm-10:30 pm on Monday.

Approach and US Side.

Fairly easy to get to. The whole area is newly built up and tons of convenience type shops (gas stations, fast food, 7-11's, Starbucks). It's many many many times cleaner, more organized, and generally feels more like the USA than the area around San Ysidro. Also allows you to avoid downtown traffic if your approaching from the far North. I was able to actually relax a bit on the US side before crossing. San Ysidro is not relaxing at all, to me. I paid $10 for parking but if you know the area and are willing to walk free street parking was available. The $10 was for up to 24 hours, they had a cheaper rate for 2 hours.

Crossing to Mexico.

Pro: they're not stamping passports anytime soon. I wasn't even eyeballed by the normal guard. I didn't even see anyone until about 300 yards into Mexico and he wasn't a guard.

Con: you seem to walk forever and it's through a construction zone.

Mexico side of border.

Not much to speak of in terms of conveniences. I attempted to find taxis on the North bound side behind the strip of shops but did not see anything. It was dark, and while I felt safe, wandering through a dark parking lot wasn't worth saving $10 so I crossed back over to the south bound side and hailed a cab to "the arch". Driver immediately saw through my polite ruse and said "Hong Kong? Pussy!" Dropped me off at the 7-11 under the arch. Asked for $15, I gave him $20 because I didn't have smaller bills.

Funtime.

Spent most of my time at HK but I stopped in Adelita for a few minutes and walked the alley a couple times. Things picked up around 8 pm. Ended up taking "Ricci" pronounced ree-CHEE from HK upstairs for a decent romp.

Taxi back and crossing into USA.

At 9:45 I headed back up the the 7-11 and hailed a cab back to Otay. Now for my fellow gringos it's pronounced "oh-tie". I made the mistake of pronouncing it the way it's spelled, which led to some short confusion. Anyway dropped off at border at 9:58, paid another $20, probably could have gotten off with less but oh well. Walked about 100 yards to the ready line which was 4 deep, waited about 90 seconds and was back in the USA.

Exiting area and summary.

Much shorter walk heading to car. I stopped at the Carl's Jr. For a burger and then made my way back north. So, during the daylight hours from San Ysidro I usually walk to then zona, but if you taxi you're looking at $12 are / t and I usually park behind the Jack in the box for $7. So, overall a $31 premium in price for faster crossing both ways and more US side conveniences but longer cab rides and no Mexico side conveniences at the border. Day trips in the future I'll probably still use San Ysidro (unless Mexico bound crossings get snarled due to passport controls). Night trips I think I will start using Otay.

Phordphan
12-03-15, 09:28
Not much to speak of in terms of conveniences. I attempted to find taxis on the North bound side behind the strip of shops but did not see anything. It was dark, and while I felt safe, wandering through a dark parking lot wasn't worth saving $10 so I crossed back over to the south bound side and hailed a cab to "the arch". Driver immediately saw through my polite ruse and said "Hong Kong? Pussy!" Dropped me off at the 7-11 under the arch. Asked for $15, I gave him $20 because I didn't have smaller bills.

At 9:45 I headed back up the the 7-11 and hailed a cab back to Otay. Now for my fellow gringos it's pronounced "oh-tie". I made the mistake of pronouncing it the way it's spelled, which led to some short confusion. Anyway dropped off at border at 9:58, paid another $20, probably could have gotten off with less but oh well. Walked about 100 yards to the ready line which was 4 deep, waited about 90 seconds and was back in the USA.

The taxi stand is a bit effed-up during the construction. After crossing, watch the locals. They will cross the traffic lanes through a gap in the concrete median, and then there is a turnstile-style gate near where the pedestrian line goes into the building. This is near the end of the north-bound street, where it makes a you-turn. The makeshift taxi stand is there. Get a cab there, or nab one dropping off somebody.

Carry pesos for cabs. You got screwed at $20 per way. The libre should be somewhere in the 100 - 150 peso range to Zona Norte. Even at 200 pesos you're still only paying $13.

The SENTRI lines are almost always non-existent at Otay, the Ready lines are generally short. The regular lines can be as long as San Ysidro sometimes.

BeHeMoth904
02-20-16, 16:46

32. 552289-116. 943547.

Hope this helps.Nice. Thanks for posting. This helps me out big time. Was reading all kinds of shit on wait times heading north. This helps tremendously with my flight choices!

ItsXJustXJizz
03-17-16, 03:33
Nice. Thanks for posting. This helps me out big time. Was reading all kinds of shit on wait times heading north. This helps tremendously with my flight choices!Its way cheaper to use ubers in MX. You don't have to haggle and you get local prices for rides.

Watnow78
04-20-16, 08:39
I didn't realize there was an Otay Mesa Thread. Here are a couple of pictures I took 2 weeks ago. It kinda shows the progress. This is the best way to cross into Mexico, 15 minute walk from parking my car and to jump into a cab ($18 to the Zona no negotiating). Literally, it took me 8 minutes from the time the cab driver dropped me off and to cross back into the US. The was no line for the Ready Lane!

BowSeat64
07-10-16, 04:36
Otay Mesa was a pretty decent way of crossing. I got a little confused when I searched on google but there is a pedestrian crossing without the need for a passport, LOL.

Anyway, I crossed at the USA Customs Border and Protection. The best parking in my opinion would be at a gas station or further down the street for 8-10 $. It is on Rolls Drive so if you google map Rolls Drive, Otay Mesa CA you should find it. From there just keep walking down Rolls Drive till you see the building. You'll see 2 long lines of people right in front of you. Don't go there, apparently those lines are for "permits". To the right there is a bridge, go up the stairs and through there. You will go through an Iron Swivel Door and then another one (2 total). Right after those gates you are in Tijuana. Keep walking and following the crowd, no one will check your passport and then eventually you will walk to a small tent with taxis. From there just ask the guy where you want to go.

Hope this helps.

Lemming22
09-26-16, 14:34
How's Otay these days? Are you still able to walk straight through? I'm planning to spend this coming weekend in Tijuana and will be entering Mexico with a non-USA passport. I want to avoid getting a passport stamp so I'm hoping that Otay is still clear.

Thanks in advance!

Nite_Runner
09-26-16, 21:14
Is the taxi fare considerably more expensive after you cross in Otay? Its $6 from San Ysidro to HK, curious how much from Otay?

Otay Mesa was a pretty decent way of crossing. I got a little confused when I searched on google but there is a pedestrian crossing without the need for a passport, LOL.

Anyway, I crossed at the USA Customs Border and Protection. The best parking in my opinion would be at a gas station or further down the street for 8-10 $. It is on Rolls Drive so if you google map Rolls Drive, Otay Mesa CA you should find it. From there just keep walking down Rolls Drive till you see the building. You'll see 2 long lines of people right in front of you. Don't go there, apparently those lines are for "permits". To the right there is a bridge, go up the stairs and through there. You will go through an Iron Swivel Door and then another one (2 total). Right after those gates you are in Tijuana. Keep walking and following the crowd, no one will check your passport and then eventually you will walk to a small tent with taxis. From there just ask the guy where you want to go.

Hope this helps.

Captain Solo
09-26-16, 21:23
Run between Otay and Centro, drop off / pick up at Constitucion and 3rd.

Should cost very little compared to taxis, like 20 pesos.

Phordphan
09-27-16, 05:53
Is the taxi fare considerably more expensive after you cross in Otay? Its $6 from San Ysidro to HK, curious how much from Otay?If you cross the "street" (the several lanes of traffic going from and to the border) and get a Libre who just finished dropping off a fare, figure around 150 pesos, in that range. Avoid the White / Gold airport taxis. They are very expensive. You DO use pesos, don't you?

Spartan94
06-15-17, 05:54
I went to Tijuana today and crossed through Otay to avoid the 'visa' requirement at San Ysidro port. Well Mexican customs have started doing the same thing as whatever they do in San Ysidro. Lucky for me there were several people bunched up at counter not knowing what it is all about; the one single Mexican custom agent said any Mexican citizen to just walk on through so I just went / blended with them.

So anyone that goes through the Otay Mesa port to avoid San Ysidro 'visa' requirements be aware that you may have to now at Otay. Tijuana taxi driver said it started 2 weeks ago. Guess now I won't have to waste time going to Otay. Last time I crossed through San Ysidro was before the whole 'visa' requirement and to cross into Mexico was through the side the trolley is. So have to figure out which way Mexican citizens go through and blend in with them to avoid stamp on passport and visa.

Spartan.

Luvem
07-06-17, 06:45
I went to Tijuana today and crossed through Otay to avoid the 'visa' requirement at San Ysidro port. Well Mexican customs have started doing the same thing as whatever they do in San Ysidro. Lucky for me there were several people bunched up at counter not knowing what it is all about; the one single Mexican custom agent said any Mexican citizen to just walk on through so I just went / blended with them.

So anyone that goes through the Otay Mesa port to avoid San Ysidro 'visa' requirements be aware that you may have to now at Otay. Tijuana taxi driver said it started 2 weeks ago. Guess now I won't have to waste time going to Otay. Last time I crossed through San Ysidro was before the whole 'visa' requirement and to cross into Mexico was through the side the trolley is. So have to figure out which way Mexican citizens go through and blend in with them to avoid stamp on passport and visa.

Spartan.Thanks Spartan,

I have been using Otay also for the same reason. This is disappointing. Anyone else have advice on avoiding the passport stamp?

WombatEd2
07-06-17, 17:25
Thanks Spartan,

I have been using Otay also for the same reason. This is disappointing. Anyone else have advice on avoiding the passport stamp?Drive. They haven't started checking any documents for vehicles crossing southbound at San Ysidro. Of course, the vehicle insurance will cost a bit.

Captain Solo
07-06-17, 20:52
Excellent recommendation. I drive straight through EL Chaparral every time with no delay, no passport check, no visa fees, 10 minutes max to Hong Kong, safe, cool, comfortable effortless. Everyday about 30,000 cars with CA license drive into Tijuana, so you are not alone.

Mexican liability only insurance policy costs only $90 at AAA.COM. Apply and pay on line, print out the policy and go. So easy.

If any bro can find driver insurance for Mexico, it would be even cheaper. Let me know.

Drive. They haven't started checking any documents for vehicles crossing southbound at San Ysidro. Of course, the vehicle insurance will cost a bit.

Spartan94
07-07-17, 05:14
Drive. They haven't started checking any documents for vehicles crossing southbound at San Ysidro. Of course, the vehicle insurance will cost a bit.No car. I read in another section here that there were some red buses that go from San Ysidro into Tijuana that might avoid the stamp / visa requirements but didn't read if it was true or not. I'm going to Tijuana this coming Tuesday during morning and see if I can find those buses if not will just try and blend in and go through Mexican national lane.

I know passport card avoids the stamp but I just had gotten the Global Entry card didn't want to then apply for passport card.

Spartan.

Luvem
07-07-17, 07:38
No car. I read in another section here that there were some red buses that go from San Ysidro into Tijuana that might avoid the stamp / visa requirements but didn't read if it was true or not. I'm going to Tijuana this coming Tuesday during morning and see if I can find those buses if not will just try and blend in and go through Mexican national lane.

I know passport card avoids the stamp but I just had gotten the Global Entry card didn't want to then apply for passport card.

Spartan.Thanks again, I will be checking to hear how things go. I have heard about the buses also but never tried it. I have to fly to get to San Diego so driving is out for me. I only get one or two trips a year so haven't invested in a passport card or global entry. Maybe I will now. My next visit will be next Saturday so no time for that now.

WombatEd2
07-07-17, 21:21
No car. I read in another section here that there were some red buses that go from San Ysidro into Tijuana that might avoid the stamp / visa requirements but didn't read if it was true or not. I'm going to Tijuana this coming Tuesday during morning and see if I can find those buses if not will just try and blend in and go through Mexican national lane.AFAIK, bus passengers unload at the entry point and go through the same stamp line as the pedestrians.

I've gone with groups where we all left Chula Vista at the same time, half in cars and half on a bus, and the bus arrived in Tijuana about an hour after the cars. I've seen that a good number of times.

SBeach25
07-08-17, 00:47
Drive. They haven't started checking any documents for vehicles crossing southbound at San Ysidro. Of course, the vehicle insurance will cost a bit.Just recently tested my vehicle in both borders into and out at both borders. Yes, as of last weekend there has been no need for the visa stamp or checking for any documents. Unfortunately, Otay now has been updated and require all non-mexicans to fill out the visa documentation if you walk into Mexico. I also recall the lady at the desk either scanned my passport card or photocopied it but I could not see before she stamped my entry document. I just saw her hand movements and heard a machine like a scanner. No charges as I was staying only the weekend.

SBeach25
07-08-17, 00:51

Spartan.Unless there was a big influx of people, blending in would be difficult as last weekend, I went via by foot and they asked each person if National or Foreign and need to show proof with ID. Hence, I had to fill out a visitor permit.

Luvem
07-16-17, 18:18
Unless there was a big influx of people, blending in would be difficult as last weekend, I went via by foot and they asked each person if National or Foreign and need to show proof with ID. Hence, I had to fill out a visitor permit.Decided to cross yesterday afternoon at San Yisdro the wait was about 15 minutes. Gave the agent my passport and said I was in Mexico one day for beers and food. She immediately handed my passport back and I was on my way. The line was full of middle age gringos, she knew we all wanted pussy and was trying to get us through.

StinkyFeet
10-22-17, 17:12
I'm more or less ABC / ABV. Was crossing the border in the morning getting to work. This was at 7:00 in the morning. Border staff. A female and a make. Youngish mid to late 20's pulls me aside for a half hour questioning. Later photo copying my passport.

Although I live primarily in China. I need to visit California fit business. Weekends relax  in Mexico and pay the cheaper price of the hotels. Save some money.

What would border patrol have any suspicion of me?

Captain Solo
10-23-17, 18:40
Half hour of interrogation and copying of passport indicates some serious issues with CBP, most likely smuggling something across the border or [CodeWord908] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord908). Perhaps your name coincides with some other bad dudes.

I traveled extensively to China and Asia. Had some great times in SZ, Guangdong, Chongping, Beijing, Shanghai. Never had any delay in US Customs even without the GLOBAL ENTRY card then. One year returning from a visit to the Guangzhou Trade Show through LAX, I was pulled aside for secondary inspection. It was not a random selection. I know they targeted me due to something, may be lots of travels to sexy locations in Asia. The CBP guy was civilized, asking the normal question where I traveled, trip purposes ect. He briefly went through my luggage and let me go.

On the counter next to mine, a sweaty Middle Eastern-looking guy had his suitcases emptied out on the counter. CPB was cutting open every little boxes and bags, emptying contents on the table. CBP probably suspected the guy was smuggling an atomic bomb for ISIS hehe. There was two 6-ft tall piles of cut up counterfeit hand bags next to CBP office to warn travelers. I had a couple designer hand bags bought for personal gifts and they let them go. Don't know how the cross-eyed and retarded CBP guys decide if the expensive-looking Gucci and Pravda bags were real or fakes hehe.

You can make inquiries to CBP office why you were interrogated. File a Freedom of Information request to CBP headquarter in Washington DC. They have to send you all the notes taken during the interrogation.

BTW Saturday night at about 10 PM, It took me total only 14 minutes in my car from HK Pepe's parking to cross back passed CBP booth with my GLOBAL ENTRY card in SENTRI lane. Meanwhile all other lanes including READY backed up way back to Via Rapida and the high cross over, estimating 4 to 5 hours waiting in cars. The SENTRI and GLOBAL ENTRY cards make life in Tijuana so sweet and entry into the US so quick and easy, highly recommended.

If you apply for GLOBAL ENTRY and get declined, they have to tell you reasons for turning down your application. A recent felony conviction will always disqualify, but CBP should grant permission for people with 20 YO felonies and recent misdemeanors, perhaps with a few heartfelt letters pleading their family hardship cases with the CBP Commisioner hehe.

Re StinkyFeet I'm more or less ABC / ABV. Was crossing the border in the morning getting to work. This was at 7:00 in the morning. Border staff. A female and a make. Youngish mid to late 20's pulls me aside for a half hour questioning. Later photo copying my passport.

Although I live primarily in China. I need to visit California fit business. Weekends relax in Mexico and pay the cheaper price of the hotels. Save some money.

What would border patrol have any suspicion of me?

SBeach25
10-24-17, 20:07
I know of a sentry card holder who got theirs yanked. According to him it was due to coincides with a bad name was what was disclosed to him. I myself have been pulled over to secondary 3 times of all the times I have crossed. 1st one was I guess was during the tequila fest and answered a few questions but lasted no longer than 5 minutes. Second one was during I was drunk and not too long after the first. 3rd time was when I just registered a new car for sentry pass and I guess they needed to check it out. But other than that, breeze.

Captain Solo
10-25-17, 18:47
Re. SBeach25.

I know of a sentry card holder who got theirs yanked. According to him it was due to coincides with a bad name was what was disclosed to him. I myself have been pulled over to secondary 3 times of all the times I have crossed. 1st one was I guess was during the tequila fest and answered a few questions but lasted no longer than 5 minutes. Second one was during I was drunk and not too long after the first. 3rd time was when I just registered a new car for sentry pass and I guess they needed to check it out. But other than that, breeze.

StinkyFeet
10-26-17, 16:09
I had no luggage other than my first name which is a common English name the rest as some would say is all Chinese. I'm clean as whistle. No arrests no tickets of any kind for the past twenty years. Unless a name akin to a Micheal Xie Wang rings alarms at the border.

Smalldan
08-15-19, 20:53
Does anybody knows a good parking space to park my car on US side to cross to Otay Mesa?

Fmojo
08-15-19, 21:55
Does anybody knows a good parking space to park my car on US side to cross to Otay Mesa?There is a very safe lot on Roll Drive right across the street (and a little south) from the IHOP. $10 a day during the week and $15 over the weekend. If they're full, there is a gas station next to the McDonalds and they have secure parking for $15 a day. Both of these spots are very close to the crossing. Good luck!

LovesToSploog
08-15-19, 22:03
https://otaymesaparking.com here's one if you need long term parking, 10 bucks even on weekends and holidays. They have a shuttle so you can use that as well.

Does anybody knows a good parking space to park my car on US side to cross to Otay Mesa?

Fmojo
08-16-19, 19:48
https://otaymesaparking.com here's one if you need long term parking, 10 bucks even on weekends and holidays. They have a shuttle so you can use that as well.Just an FYI, this lot requires non refundable reservations (for the $10 rate), you have to take a shuttle and you have to leave your keys. No thanks.

Phordphan
09-06-19, 09:14
Just an FYI, this lot requires non refundable reservations (for the $10 rate), you have to take a shuttle and you have to leave your keys. No thanks.Of course you have to leave your keys. They may need to move your car. I've used them several times when going on vacation in Mexico and crossing via CBX. Never had a problem and they guys who run it are quite nice. There are better, closer, lots for day trips. This place is good for extended trips.

Sound7
09-06-19, 17:51
How are wait times measured

Land border wait time estimates are determined using either a manual, line-of-sight methodology via predetermined benchmarks or an automated system.

Error in CBP wait time by factors!

https://bwt.cbp.gov/Border Crossing.

LovesToSploog
10-10-19, 03:47
Do you know if I can just leave this here for the weekend, planning on getting there Friday night then coming back Sunday, not for an extended time but for a weekcation, I used it for an extended stay in Mexico city but I remember I put my flight number, not sure if I can just leave it there. The other parking lots are about $15 minimum now unless there are other I am unaware of.

Of course you have to leave your keys. They may need to move your car. I've used them several times when going on vacation in Mexico and crossing via CBX. Never had a problem and they guys who run it are quite nice. There are better, closer, lots for day trips. This place is good for extended trips.

LovesToSploog
10-15-19, 07:37
Parked here this weekend, I forget the name of it but you have to make a left turn to get in if you are coming from Via areápida. Paid $30 bucks from Friday night to Sunday evening like 7 pm. Holy crap was there a long line coming back to the states on car. Walking back to the states took about 10 minutes, I'd be omitting details if I mentioned out that from Otay Mesa border to Soler / LOS Altos cost me roughly $10 on Uber, still cheap. This weekend seemed slow not sure what was going on but still I lucked out I suppose.

Artisttyp
10-15-19, 07:48
Parked here this weekend, I forget the name of it but you have to make a left turn to get in if you are coming from Via arepida. Paid $30 bucks from Friday night to Sunday evening like 7 pm. Holy crap was there a long line coming back to the states on car. Walking back to the states took about 10 minutes, I'd be omitting details if I mentioned out that from Otay Mesa border to Soler / LOS Altos cost me roughly $10 on Uber, still cheap. This weekend seemed slow not sure what was going on but still I lucked out I suppose.$10 a night on weekends is dirt cheap.

LovesToSploog
10-15-19, 15:23
Didn't mean to confuse anyone, it was actually $15 a day on weekend, got there Friday 8:30 pm and left Sunday at 7 pm. The beginning of the year this place was $10 everyday, sucks but still cheaper than one day at San Ysidro. Delta parking has parking $10 a day but not sure if you need a flight reservation for TIJ airport.

$10 a night on weekends is dirt cheap.

GoodSense3
11-21-20, 17:29
-Got to Border Crossing round 4 or 5 from 2 HR Drive from la on sat holloween.

- Only 2 people was in-front of me while dozens was moving fast in the other line. When at front of line they asked do I have a Visa and why I'm visiting and I showed them a dental office address I think on Revo st in TeeJay or near and told them no I don't have Visa.

- Then they told me to go to backroom where they had about 5 other people all dudes 1 black dude and I think couple spanish and white as they superinvestigated our passport ids with their computer systems while we wait in backroom for 10 mins.

- Then they offered all 4-5 of us in backroom $30 deal to get Visa and black dude was 1st to pull out the 30 for them and everybody else did after and then he asked Border patrol if Visa would let him go in faster line now and they said yea Visa is good for faster line for 6 mo and funny thing is I saw kid in Chicago Club few hrs later and we talked 4 a min he say he comes from Bay*Area few times a yr. I had my mask on but he didn't in club LOL.

-Finally crossed to from you. S to MexicoTeeJ told Taxi guy to drop me off at Ceasers Bar but he acted like he aint know where to go then I told him just go to HK and he def knew where that was. Gave him $10 not realizing I was suppose to give him 5 LOL.

- Went in HK round 5-6 ish and notice about half wearing mask and half not. Saw one stripper dancer performed that was a caramel flavor stripper type chick I think I saw her before too when I went last yr or earlier in yr before face masks game started and she was def my fav 1 in their. Also sat next to a chick while watchin her perform who was with a black dude who went to go get a drink during and didn't really come back till after she performed so it was mainly chick next to me who look decent caramel type herself but she was just a club customer LOL.

- Then I went to check back alley. Saw a bunch of chicks I saw before about at least half and just walked to Ceasars which was too packed to get my margarita.

- Then I went to massage spot around 6 and they set an appt for 7. So I went to Chicago and it was packed for a 1 story club. They had more decent lookers than usual as well that can compete w HKs talent. Thats also when I saw Bay Area blk dude I saw at border crossing visa room LOL.

- Like 2 Chicago Chicas let me slightly grope them for a $1 and they approached me while I was at bar LOL.

- Then I went back out to Massage spot. Massage specialist was real decent. She had on nerdy lookin glasses and was decent lookin and seem to know english good. She said she was from South Mexico but don't remember city she said. Gettin 1 HR massage from her was better than some intimacy sessions I've had w Chicks in US Cali-Vegas-Florida and Mex TeeJay LOL. Think it was like 600 Pesos for massage session.

- Then it was around 8 pm after massage and I walked round Revo and back near CC and HK. Saw about 20-30% of people walkin round wout mask even some good lookers I saw walkin round w no mask.

- Tried to see if Club Congo Bongo was open but looked like they was having a private party not open to public.

- Circled round for street chicas 5-7 x approached a few and a few tried to holla approach me but didn't do a deal cause just wasnt that much in mood for it as it was just so many people walkin around LOL.

- Also saw so many dudes rockin pro basketball jerseys even Iverson sixers Jersey mostly spanish lookin dudes though.

- Got tacos by HK then told taxi guy to take me to new border and he said only old border is working now.

- Went back to old border crossing* round 11-12 no line and only about dozen other people was crossing back to San Diego border referree officials asked what I was doing their think I told them business purposes or sumthin similiar and walked thru w wrapped up taco plate in my hand to SoCal.

Deals I wanted to do but didn't and will be more focused on tryin to do next time.

- Ceasears Bar Margarita spot at bar on sat tough to find so better to that on Mon.-wed.

- Givin Chicago dj a $1's to play requested songs.

- Find a decent street chick or 2 to do a deal with.