PDA

View Full Version : San Diego airport to Tijuana

Mack Dad
08-27-13, 01:52
Here is the flyer for the 992 bus from San Diego airport to the America Plaza Trolley station.

2. 25 for the bus
2. 50 for the trolley
5. 00 for all day pass if you have a compass card or 7 dollars if you get a paper pass.

Took about an 1:15 to get to the border going this route.
The process was fairly smooth and didn't run into any issues.
Once I got to the border I exchanged some to pesos and walked across the border.
Took a yellow taxi to my hotel for 50 pesos.

Total price from San Diego airport to my hotel in Tijuana was around 10 USD dollars.

Jicks
05-02-17, 07:37
Uber or lyft may be better option as trolleys were taken over by drug addicts; traveling in trolley is not a pleasant experience.

Here is the flyer for the 992 bus from San Diego airport to the America Plaza Trolley station.

2. 25 for the bus
2. 50 for the trolley
5. 00 for all day pass if you have a compass card or 7 dollars if you get a paper pass.

Once I got to the border I exchanged some to pesos and walked across the border.

Total price from San Diego airport to my hotel in Tijuana was around 10 USD dollars.

Captain Solo
05-03-17, 01:17
$5 and 1:15 from San Diego Int Airport to San Ysidro border is pretty good.

If you rent a car, it would take you at least 30 minutes to get the car off the lot, then another 45 minutes drive over 20 miles to the border, then parking and walking.

If you order UBER or LYFT, the cost would be $30 to $50 depending on traffic.

The bus and trolley combination to San Ysidro right at Ped East entry point sounds fantastic.

2. 25 for the bus
2. 50 for the trolley

ScatManDoo
05-03-17, 07:20

2. 25 for the bus
2. 50 for the trolley

Total price from San Diego airport to my hotel in Tijuana was around 10 USD dollars.There's now a new FREE alternative to the $2.25 bus route 992.

It's a free shuttle that takes you from the SD airport to the Middletown (green line) Trolley Station. This new free "Terminal to Trolley" shuttle service runs every 10 to 15 minutes.

https://sdmts.com/schedules-real-time/airport

Jicks
05-04-17, 01:43
Uber pool (shared ride) is around $20, rate is fixed while booking and takes 30 minutes. $5 for trolley is not bad but sometimes you may end up traveling with addicts and hustlers like I did.

$5 and 1:15 from San Diego Int Airport to San Ysidro border is pretty good.

If you rent a car, it would take you at least 30 minutes to get the car off the lot, then another 45 minutes drive over 20 miles to the border, then parking and walking.

If you order UBER or LYFT, the cost would be $30 to $50 depending on traffic.

The bus and trolley combination to San Ysidro right at Ped East entry point sounds fantastic.

Captain Solo
05-04-17, 06:58
I took the trolley a couple times in day time during weekends. Did not find any drug addicts or hustlers, almost all were tourists. Made friends with some very pretty college students form Asia and Europe on the trolley. San Diego is sunny, dry, breezy and its Public transport system is very good. At night just take a long a heavy stick and be prepared to beat the brains out of any muggers.

This thread could be expanded. San Diego is a very good vacation town with most attractions accessible by trolley and buses. The bros can have a wonderful vacation in San Diego, and every night the sexiest times in their lives in Tijuana with the prettiest girls, all accessible by the nice, clean, safe trolley system.

https://www.sdmts.com/schedules-real-time-maps-and-routes/trolley

Uber pool (shared ride) is around $20, rate is fixed while booking and takes 30 minutes. $5 for trolley is not bad but sometimes you may end up traveling with addicts and hustlers like I did.

D Cups
06-15-17, 17:10
Thanks. I asked this in another thread before I saw your answer here.

Wiild
08-14-17, 18:10
free shuttle that takes you from the SD airport to the Middletown (green line) Trolley Station. This new free "Terminal to Trolley" shuttle service runs every 10 to 15 minutes.

https://sdmts.com/schedules-real-time/airportIf you (like me) plan to leave a rental car at San Diego Airport it seems like all the major rental car companies are located at walking distance to the Middletown (green line) Trolley Station almost exactly where the Terminal to Trolley shuttle service stops.

I will drop the car off early instead of taking it to San Ysidro and pay the rather expensive parking.

Sound7
09-06-19, 20:44
Good on various combination of trolley / bus / Coaster / Amtrack limited.

Sound7
02-20-20, 20:35
Not on Saturday on Sunday 15 minutes.

Blue Line San Ysidro to Santa Fe Station / American Plaza.

Great for SD Coaster / Amtrack connection to Tijuana.

Good on various combination of trolley / bus / Coaster / Amtrack limited.

DonkeyPuncha
03-22-21, 04:29
If I were going to Tijuana for a week and need to park my car, wouldn't it be better to park at say the airport and go this route? It's $10 a day to park by the airport compared to $30 a day at border. That's a difference of $20 a day.

Phordphan
03-22-21, 19:33
If I were going to Tijuana for a week and need to park my car, wouldn't it be better to park at say the airport and go this route? It's $10 a day to park by the airport compared to $30 a day at border. That's a difference of $20 a day.Obviously you also have to factor in the time and cost of getting from SAN to the border. Bus and trolley are pretty cheap, but a PITA if you have luggage, and they are slow. How much is your time worth?

Taxi / Uber is easier but expensive, and any daily savings you have will probably be eaten up by the cost.

I suggest checking out the long term parking options in the Otay Mesa area. The prices are much cheaper than San Ysidro, and an Uber or Taxi Libre from Otay to Centro isn't much money.

ZWang5
06-01-21, 23:22
Coming from out of state. Planning to cross by pedestrian border. Is there any restrictions for US citizens going through and back from the San Ysidro border?

The official embassy website descriptions have been a bit contradictory and confusing. I'm trying to avoid the two week quarantine or test requirements if I'm just staying at Hotel Cascadas for 2 nights.

Any tips appreciated!

Phordphan
06-02-21, 00:09
Coming from out of state. Planning to cross by pedestrian border. Is there any restrictions for US citizens going through and back from the San Ysidro border?

The official embassy website descriptions have been a bit contradictory and confusing. I'm trying to avoid the two week quarantine or test requirements if I'm just staying at Hotel Cascadas for 2 nights.

Any tips appreciated!There are no restrictions any longer, and there has never been a quarantine for land crossings. You'll be fine. Be prepared to pay $30 for the 180-day FMM. That's worst case. If you're staying for fewer than 7 days they may allow you to get the free 7-day FMM but YMMV. Regardless, you'll have no problems except for the king-sized wait times returning to the USA, depending on when you decide to return.

ZWang5
06-02-21, 23:45
There are no restrictions any longer, and there has never been a quarantine for land crossings. You'll be fine. Be prepared to pay $30 for the 180-day FMM. That's worst case. If you're staying for fewer than 7 days they may allow you to get the free 7-day FMM but YMMV. Regardless, you'll have no problems except for the king-sized wait times returning to the USA, depending on when you decide to return.Much appreciated! Last time I returned with the boys through the border at 5 AM, got stuck standing until 7 AM for whatever the reason and barely able to stay awake.

Buckley808
06-28-21, 07:21
Hello,

I'm flying into San Diego next Tuesday and plan on crossing the border on foot around 9-9:30 PM and I'll catch a taxi straight to Hong Kong. This will be my first trip and I was just wondering if it's safe to cross at this time of night (I'll be carrying a small suitcase and a backpack) Thanks in advance for any advice and sorry if this question has been answered before. Cheers.

TomJackin
06-28-21, 23:48
Hello,

I'm flying into San Diego next Tuesday and plan on crossing the border on foot around 9-9:30 PM and I'll catch a taxi straight to Hong Kong. This will be my first trip and I was just wondering if it's safe to cross at this time of night (I'll be carrying a small suitcase and a backpack) Yes, it is safe to cross at that time.

Buckley808
06-29-21, 22:41
Yes, it is safe to cross at that time.Thank you!

FlagRunner77
02-18-22, 02:31
Has anyone had experience of crossing on foot as a non-US citizen? I live in Canada but thinking of flying to San Diego. My concern is having to get back into the US for my flight home. Is the fact that I'm pretty obviously going for drinking / mongering likely to pose any issues to the US border officials crossing back in?

Uncle Al
02-21-22, 00:01
Hello,

I'm flying into San Diego next Tuesday and plan on crossing the border on foot around 9-9:30 PM and I'll catch a taxi straight to Hong Kong. This will be my first trip and I was just wondering if it's safe to cross at this time of night (I'll be carrying a small suitcase and a backpack) Thanks in advance for any advice and sorry if this question has been answered before. Cheers.No problem at all.

You can take uber or taxi or have HK pick you up.

CurryMonster
02-23-22, 05:03
Has anyone had experience of crossing on foot as a non-US citizen? I live in Canada but thinking of flying to San Diego. My concern is having to get back into the US for my flight home. Is the fact that I'm pretty obviously going for drinking / mongering likely to pose any issues to the US border officials crossing back in?Not a problem. It is the world's busiest border crossing, so guards are busy enough not to care what you did while out their view, and which they know is none of their business.

Mexican side might try to sell you a visitor visa, but I would expect the remaining shreds of NAFTA might keep you from needing that too.

Trying to exchange CAD in MX is tough. Banks on 4th do, I used this one successfully once: https://goo.gl/maps/1FYgx7UeW66DUweD6.

LuvMexicanas
05-19-23, 16:29
That's all it takes to get from the San Diego airport to Centro Tijuana. You exit the terminal and look for the bus stop which you can't miss unless you're blind. Get the Pronto app and just scan to get on the 992 bus. Exit the bus at American Plaza station and get on the blue line trolley to San Ysidro. Your initial scan on the bus is good for two hours so no need to scan again. Cross the border and go left when exiting the turnstiles and hop on the van that says Centro. Pay 10 pesos as you exit the van at the Burger King on Revolucion. So easy and cheap a caveman could do it. Having said that, when time isn't abundant, I'll just Uber from the airport.

Rambo1969
01-21-24, 05:22
Here's my recipe for enjoying the day with stops in San Diego on your way to Tijuana. I have done it multiple times including last week.

1. get on 992 and get off at Maritime Museum.

2. Enjoy scenic walk to the next 992 stop at the cruise terminal.

3. get on another 992 bus and get off at Broadway & 3rd ave.

4. Enjoy adjacent Horton Plaza till bus 901 gets there.

5. Get on 901 towards to Iris ave transit center (via coronado).

6. Enjoy views from the bridge and get off at 3rd / Orange ave.

7, Enjoy Ferry Landing area.

8. Take bus 904 to Coronado hotel.

9. Enjoy the beach all around coronado hotel and grab something to eat at adjacent downtown Coronado (orange ave).

10. Take bus 901 at a nearby stop on Orange Ave to the end at Iris ave Transit center.

11. Take trolley to border.

The above gives you a great & liesurely sight seeing day before you enter Tijuana.

Rambo1969
01-21-24, 22:57
Here's my recipe for enjoying the day with stops in San Diego on your way to Tijuana. I have done it multiple times including last week.

1. get on 992 and get off at Maritime Museum.

2. Enjoy scenic walk to the next 992 stop at the cruise terminal.

3. get on another 992 bus and get off at Broadway & 3rd ave.

4. Enjoy adjacent Horton Plaza till bus 901 gets there.

5. Get on 901 towards to Iris ave transit center (via coronado).

6. Enjoy views from the bridge and get off at 3rd / Orange ave.

7, Enjoy Ferry Landing area.

8. Take bus 904 to Coronado hotel.

9. Enjoy the beach all around coronado hotel and grab something to eat at adjacent downtown Coronado (orange ave).

10. Take bus 901 at a nearby stop on Orange Ave to the end at Iris ave Transit center.

11. Take trolley to border.

The above gives you a great & liesurely sight seeing day before you enter Tijuana.I forgot to add you get to enjoy Coronado beach (around the Del hotel) with this itinerary.

You can also get off bus 901 at the beautiful long Silver strand beach to enjoy that beach too if you have time. You would exit bus at Silver Strand Blvd & Coronado Cays blvd.

OPIllini
02-02-24, 03:22
That's all it takes to get from the San Diego airport to Centro Tijuana. You exit the terminal and look for the bus stop which you can't miss unless you're blind. Get the Pronto app and just scan to get on the 992 bus. Exit the bus at American Plaza station and get on the blue line trolley to San Ysidro. Your initial scan on the bus is good for two hours so no need to scan again. Cross the border and go left when exiting the turnstiles and hop on the van that says Centro. Pay 10 pesos as you exit the van at the Burger King on Revolucion. So easy and cheap a caveman could do it. Having said that, when time isn't abundant, I'll just Uber from the airport.Another possibility is taking the free airport shuttle bus to the remote parking lot, which is located across the street from the Middletown trolley station. You could board the Blue Line to San Ysidro there.