PDA

View Full Version : Be Careful!

FruitNinja
03-14-14, 11:22
YG365 and I took a cab to Mango Street. Got dropped off across the main street from that alley where Red Lips is. As we're crossing the street two little kids approach us with hands out. Probably around 9 or 10 years old. We tell them to scoot but they are persistent and start bumping into us and are way to close. All of the sudden I feel my back pocket get a little lighter. Fortunately I was able to grab the little shit by the neck and grab my phone that was in my back pocket.

Spent the night drinking in. Mango square and on the way out shared a cab with a Swiss guy. He was getting in on the street side and the same little asshole tried to grab his phone. At the same time she or maybe a he tried to get in the cab. He threw him to the walk.

Be careful out there guys. Leaving my wallet in the hotel safe and my phone in my front pocket from now on. Just carry enough money for the night. If that had been my wallet and he actually got away with it I would have had major problems finishing off my vacation or even getting home. If that would have been back in the states I would have turned his lights out.

Member #4387
03-15-14, 03:11
YG365 and I took a cab to Mango Street. Got dropped off across the main street from that alley where Red Lips is. As we're crossing the street two little kids approach us with hands out. Probably around 9 or 10 years old. We tell them to scoot but they are persistent and start bumping into us and are way to close. All of the sudden I feel my back pocket get a little lighter. Fortunately I was able to grab the little shit by the neck and grab my phone that was in my back pocket.

Spent the night drinking in. Mango square and on the way out shared a cab with a Swiss guy. He was getting in on the street side and the same little asshole tried to grab his phone. At the same time she or maybe a he tried to get in the cab. He threw him to the walk.

Be careful out there guys. Leaving my wallet in the hotel safe and my phone in my front pocket from now on. Just carry enough money for the night. If that had been my wallet and he actually got away with it I would have had major problems finishing off my vacation or even getting home. If that would have been back in the states I would have turned his lights out.Happened to me in Salvadore / Brazil some years ago I was walking a crowded beach promenade. Young children playing around and doing all kinds if shit destract me. Suddenly I felt something in my FRONT pocket, I was just a microsecond from grabbing the little boys arm but he ran away. Back then I was a fast soccerplayer so even if flip flops I manage to catch up with him running like crazy, bumping old ladies over. When I grabbed that little boy he had this ok, I give up, I am dead now look in his eye. It was very strange and even how angry I was I mildend up and became that soft guy I am known to be. I gave him a few Reals and that was that. But I guess he was lucky it was me caught him.

Bab Com
08-07-17, 09:48
Be careful out there guys. Leaving my wallet in the hotel safe and my phone in my front pocket from now on. Just carry enough money for the night. If that had been my wallet and he actually got away with it I would have had major problems finishing off my vacation or even getting home. If that would have been back in the states I would have turned his lights out.No expensive watch, phone in tight front pocket.

Small money for the night (only what you could afford to loose).

A copy of my passport.

The hotel magnet card in the deepest pocket if not let at the front office.

And nothing else.

And I already kicked a few hands trying to take the pack of tissues in my back pocket.

BrainDrain
08-30-17, 22:57
This is an interesting thread for people visiting a developing world economy. Money is scarce and locals will be looking for opportunities where there is money.

A) I Only carry what I need for the night.

B) if confronted, I am prepared to hand over everything. So don't carry anything you are not prepared to lose.

C) credit cards and ID that I don't need, leave in hotel safe.

D) a few loose coins in my pocket.

E) I spread larger peso notes into different pockets.

F) I don't get drunk in public.

G) I don't flash money or wealth.

H) I don't entertain the little beggar kids / thieves.

Ve careful out there guys.

VictorHugo999
03-18-23, 14:26
Thanks for the good advice.

Will take heed when I go in a few months.

Victor.

This is an interesting thread for people visiting a developing world economy. Money is scarce and locals will be looking for opportunities where there is money.

A) I Only carry what I need for the night.

B) if confronted, I am prepared to hand over everything. So don't carry anything you are not prepared to lose.

C) credit cards and ID that I don't need, leave in hotel safe.

D) a few loose coins in my pocket.

E) I spread larger peso notes into different pockets.

F) I don't get drunk in public.

G) I don't flash money or wealth.

H) I don't entertain the little beggar kids / thieves.

Ve careful out there guys.

Mahku
04-13-23, 11:23
That area's always been bad for having the best at that 'profession. ' Back when Lone Star was a place to go I used to be put off going down that dark side street that led to it. The pickpockets and thieves know that guys are drunk and loaded with cash for drinks and barfines. That's where I would be if that were my calling. And these days there's a bit more desperation after the years of pandemic deprivation. So take all of the precautions mentioned below.