PDA

View Full Version : Debit card issue

Manizales911
06-27-14, 19:49
Just a head's up. I just got back from a trip to the DR, prior to going I had switched from one bank in the USA To another. Just for future reference I tried to make a small withdrawal using the new debit cards and neither of them (I have two accounts) would work. Not a problem for me as I also have my Charles Schwab card as a backup and generally only pay in cash while traveling. I just called local bank and asked why the card wouldn't work and the girl said that the country of the Dominican Republic is black listed and their debit cards will not work there, period. I asked for the bank manager and asked if there was something that could be done as I travel to the DR a lot and she told me sorry, no. I closed the account. Another reason to always bring cash with you and use the cards only as backup and in addition to putting a travel advisory on your card prior to traveling make sure that the bank doesn't have the DR or whatever country that you are traveling to blacklisted. By the way, the bank that had the DR blacklisted worked fine here in Colombia.

Questner
06-28-14, 05:47
Just a head's up. I just got back from a trip to the DR, prior to going I had switched from one bank in the USA To another. Just for future reference I tried to make a small withdrawal using the new debit cards and neither of them (I have two accounts) would work. Not a problem for me as I also have my Charles Schwab card as a backup and generally only pay in cash while traveling. I just called local bank and asked why the card wouldn't work and the girl said that the country of the Dominican Republic is black listed and their debit cards will not work there, period. I asked for the bank manager and asked if there was something that could be done as I travel to the DR a lot and she told me sorry, no. I closed the account. Another reason to always bring cash with you and use the cards only as backup and in addition to putting a travel advisory on your card prior to traveling make sure that the bank doesn't have the DR or whatever country that you are traveling to blacklisted. By the way, the bank that had the DR blacklisted worked fine here in Colombia.They took you for a ride. 'They' is VISA security through your bank security department. DR is not blacklisted. Most likely your new debit cards were equipped with new chip sets. All cards carry only a promise of a withdrawal but not a guarantee. Next time if this happens call the institution's security department and maybe they might work on something at least partially or confirm that the magnetic stripe is still working. If the card is totally blocked then you can only exchange it for a new one.

Mr Enternational
06-28-14, 06:56
Just a head's up. I just got back from a trip to the DR, prior to going I had switched from one bank in the USA To another. Just for future reference I tried to make a small withdrawal using the new debit cards and neither of them (I have two accounts) would work. Not a problem for me as I also have my Charles Schwab card as a backup and generally only pay in cash while traveling. I just called local bank and asked why the card wouldn't work and the girl said that the country of the Dominican Republic is black listed and their debit cards will not work there, period.That reminds me of what happened to me. I was at La Sirena in Puerto Plata and my card would not work outside in whatever machine it was closest to the door. My card and the machine had matching logos, but for some reason it would not work with that bank. I moved to the machine next to it, farthest from the door, and I was able to take out 8000 (could have taken more, but that was all I needed.) When I got back to the States my new Charles Schwab card was waiting on me. Thanks for that tip guys; I can't wait to break it in.

Manizales911
06-28-14, 17:26
They took you for a ride. 'They' is VISA security through your bank security department. DR is not blacklisted. Most likely your new debit cards were equipped with new chip sets. All cards carry only a promise of a withdrawal but not a guarantee. Next time if this happens call the institution's security department and maybe they might work on something at least partially or confirm that the magnetic stripe is still working. If the card is totally blocked then you can only exchange it for a new one.They are not chip cards. I'm not saying that you are wrong but both of the bank employees including the bank manager told me that they had the DR blacklisted. The cards worked fine in Colombia.

Frannie
06-28-14, 17:46
They are not chip cards. I'm not saying that you are wrong but both of the bank employees including the bank manager told me that they had the DR blacklisted. The cards worked fine in Colombia.Odd. I checked with my institution and they don't have the DR blacklisted for ATM withdrawals. However I always clear any purchases with the head office hotline anytime I am making unusual purchases. For example my debit card does not allow overseas online or point of payment purchases, though it does allow ATM withdrawals, so if I want to make an overseas purchase (for example Skype) I will call them in advance and get it cleared. There is also a limit of $500 per day for cash withdrawals, but that can be increased on a one-off basis by calling them and explaining the reason for a larger withdrawal (plus giving my mother's maiden name, etc.).

I have used the Banco Popular ATM many times on the left of the entrance of La Sirena, and also in the lobby of the Clinica Hernandez in Puerto Plata and inside the Supermercado Playero in Sosua. I always stick to either Banco Popular or Scotia Bank ATMs as there are usually in safe place like supermarkets, or have armed security on duty at night. I think Scotia Bank ATM in Puerto Plata has armed security round the clock for its 2 ATMs. Some of the other bank ATMs will only work with local cards.

Manizales911
06-28-14, 19:44
Odd. I checked with my institution and they don't have the DR blacklisted for ATM withdrawals.I agree that it's odd, I have a Charles Schwab that works without a problem and over the years cards from at least two other banks and never had a problem. I just reported this so a monger wouldn't go to the DR with only a debit card and be stuck. That would be foolish anyway but then again mongers do some dumb shit sometimes, myself included. I always suggest that cash is king and in addition to bringing two cards bring some, most or all of your anticipated spending money in cash and split it up into at least two places both while traveling to your destination and when you arrive.

Manizales911
06-28-14, 19:55
Put this in your pipe and smoke it.

Questner
06-29-14, 04:29
Put this in your pipe and smoke it.Just ask those nuts, how Japan or Norway is unsafe? Moreover, the transaction is done by Visa / MC / Cirrus etc.

Manizales911
06-29-14, 06:09
Just ask those nuts, how Japan or Norway is unsafe? Moreover, the transaction is done by Visa / MC / Cirrus etc.I didn't ask them anything other than to close my account, banks are a dime a dozen. I just wanted to show you that the DR is in fact blacklisted by my former bank.

Puntz79
06-29-14, 07:18
I use a couple different banks and the only time I've had an issue with withdrawing cash was due to either reaching my withdrawal limit (which one can usually request be increased and it's not a problem. Most of the time), or just not having a travel notice set. Which is quite annoying. BoA is especially the worst with it, my travel pattern is fairly consistent and I'm out of the country quite a bit. But BoA has a difficult time understanding that and about every other trip, I'll always have an issue with withdrawing cash at an ATM. Doesn't matter if it's DR, it will happen in Europe, Thailand, Hong Kong. And when it does happen and I am told my transaction is declined and I need to call my financial institution, they block of all cards (so if you have a debit AND credit card with BoA, that's affected too). I call in. Verify transactions and that I'm traveling, and explain that I even set a travel notice. To which they say they will set it again (again? Why? Was it not set right the first time?) and I'll be able to use my card again.

Anyone else faced this with any other financial institution? I always try to remember to set a travel notice before I leave, but I run into this problem I'd say every other trip.

George03
06-29-14, 09:14
I use a couple different banks and the only time I've had an issue with withdrawing cash was due to either reaching my withdrawal limit (which one can usually request be increased and it's not a problem. Most of the time), or just not having a travel notice set. Which is quite annoying. BoA is especially the worst with it, my travel pattern is fairly consistent and I'm out of the country quite a bit. But BoA has a difficult time understanding that and about every other trip, I'll always have an issue with withdrawing cash at an ATM. Doesn't matter if it's DR, it will happen in Europe, Thailand, Hong Kong. And when it does happen and I am told my transaction is declined and I need to call my financial institution, they block of all cards (so if you have a debit AND credit card with BoA, that's affected too). I call in. Verify transactions and that I'm traveling, and explain that I even set a travel notice. To which they say they will set it again (again? Why? Was it not set right the first time?) and I'll be able to use my card again.

Anyone else faced this with any other financial institution? I always try to remember to set a travel notice before I leave, but I run into this problem I'd say every other trip.With BOA, you need to notify them where you go out of the country. I believe that you can do this online, or you can call!

Frannie
06-29-14, 15:55
Put this in your pipe and smoke it.Interesting that "places where debit card use is unsafe" is printed over a picture of the Great Wall of China, even though China is not listed as an unsafe place for debit card use. The list does seem a bit random, for example including the Dominican Republic, but not Haiti. Perhaps it is just a list of those countries that bank has had problems with in the past.

Here is a tip for using ATMs in the DR. When you are asked if you want a receipt, hit the "no" button, because if you say "yes" and the machine's roll of paper is finished it will tell you "unable to process request at this time" and you will not know why. Many Dominicans do not know this and will make multiple attempts when they are standing in front of you.

Another tip: You may be tempted to use those debit cards they sell in Walmart and other convenience stores that say that you can withdraw money "any place where MasterCard is accepted". Well, don't count on it, and if you plan to use one in the DR, verify that that is allowed. I once had one where they tried to seize the funds on the account after I had used it in the DR. They called my home number in the US, and when I did not answer because the number was on vacation hold, they blanked the card number on the grounds that (they thought) the number did not exist, and this meant that I could not call their customer service number, because this had an automated system that required input of the card number. It took me several letters and e-mails to get the money (about $350) refunded. I would have been very, very unhappy if it had been a larger sum. I think the company is called Metabank. I don't think it was intended to be a scam on their part, but very irritating and I could have been stuck overseas with no access to money if I did not have alternative ways to access funds.

Frannie
06-29-14, 16:06
I didn't ask them anything other than to close my account, banks are a dime a dozen. They are indeed, but it is very inconvenient to change bank accounts when they are automatically linked to incoming pay checks, pensions, social security, your Amazon account, your phone bill, Skype, and so on.

Manizales911
06-29-14, 16:57
Interesting that "places where debit card use is unsafe" is printed over a picture of the Great Wall of China, even though China is not listed as an unsafe place for debit card use. The list does seem a bit random, for example including the Dominican Republic, but not Haiti. Perhaps it is just a list of those countries that bank has had problems with in the past.

Here is a tip for using ATMs in the DR. When you are asked if you want a receipt, hit the "no" button, because if you say "yes" and the machine's roll of paper is finished it will tell you "unable to process request at this time" and you will not know why. Many Dominicans do not know this and will make multiple attempts when they are standing in front of you.

Another tip: You may be tempted to use those debit cards they sell in Walmart and other convenience stores that say that you can withdraw money "any place where MasterCard is accepted". Well, don't count on it, and if you plan to use one in the DR, verify that that is allowed. I once had one where they tried to seize the funds on the account after I had used it in the DR. They called my home number in the US, and when I did not answer because the number was on vacation hold, they blanked the card number on the grounds that (they thought) the number did not exist, and this meant that I could not call their customer service number, because this had an automated system that required input of the card number. It took me several letters and e-mails to get the money (about $350) refunded. I would have been very, very unhappy if it had been a larger sum. I think the company is called Metabank. I don't think it was intended to be a scam on their part, but very irritating and I could have been stuck overseas with no access to money if I did not have alternative ways to access funds.Sorry for the poor screenshot previously, here is another one showing the complete list. I found the list to be curious myself but you are correct, it is based on countries where they have had problems in the past not a "safety" issue as another poster mentioned.

I have several Walmart Moneycards and they can no longer be used out of the USA.

Questner
06-30-14, 04:48
I didn't ask them anything other than to close my account, banks are a dime a dozen. I just wanted to show you that the DR is in fact blacklisted by my former bank.You did the right. My opinion is your former 'bank' is blacklisted by Visa in a way. Also, good practice is to have a spare MC as it is a different system. When Visa shuts down your debit card it may shut down your CC if both are from the same institution. Last time it happened to me in DR, it took me an hour and chain of imbecilic CS reps to get to the truth. One especially gifted idiot suggested me to change my address over the phone to a Dominican and then to mail me my new debit cards. WTF.

Questner
07-09-14, 04:57
In case there may an issue with chip enabled cards use these search engines to plan your ATM cash withdrawal:

http://www.mastercard.com/do/personal/es/cardholderservices/atmlocations/index.html

Pay attention to an option: Con capacidad de lectura de chip.

Same process for Visa (see Chip enabled). (Use step process, as spell checker does not allow to post the right link)

[URL]http://www.visa.com/atmlocator/ ....query:'Dominican Republic'.