PDA

View Full Version : Cellphones: Calling-Using-Buying-Importing-Activating-Renting

Admin
01-01-00, 01:00

Breadman
11-27-14, 15:54
On my last trip I went to a mall in Bangkok and they were repairing and unlocking cell phones. Anyone have a rough estimate at what they might charge to replace a cracked screen?

Ethan Hunt123
11-27-14, 18:06
On my last trip I went to a mall in Bangkok and they were repairing and unlocking cell phones. Anyone have a rough estimate at what they might charge to replace a cracked screen?Really depends on the phone. Head to Prantip. Loads of shops there. And please bargain around.

Love Sex 22
11-28-14, 07:02
Anyone knows if iPhone 6 from Verizon in america could be unlocked in Bangkok? Without damaging the phone?

Steep
11-28-14, 07:22
Anyone knows if iPhone 6 from Verizon in america could be unlocked in Bangkok? Without damaging the phone?I think it's a little known fact but Verizon iPhones are already unlocked. Check at a Verizon store or Google it but I think it's one of the rare cases that an American phone comes unlocked.

Traveler1234
11-28-14, 16:09
I think it's a little known fact but Verizon iPhones are already unlocked. Check at a Verizon store or Google it but I think it's one of the rare cases that an American phone comes unlocked.Verizon iPhone 5's and newer models are ALL factory unlocked, can use on TMO, ATT and any international sim card.

Allover
11-28-14, 17:31
Verizon iPhone 5's and newer models are ALL factory unlocked, can use on TMO, ATT and any international sim card.T-Mobile, ATT, and Thailand, and most other countries use a GSM network. Verizon uses a CDMA network which is also used by Sprint and Brazil and Japan if I recall correctly. Will an unlocked Verizon CDMA IPhone work on a GSM network? I don't know the answer but if it works on ATT or T-Mobile it should work with a Thai SIM card.

My unlocked ATT Galaxy S4 works great with a Thai SIM card. I bought the Samsung Galaxy S4 in large part because it works with sim cards of so many countries. Thanks for the tip oin Fortune Town. Pantip is a pain in the ass to get to especially with the heat of BKK.

JesseJames
11-28-14, 17:59
T-Mobile, ATT, and Thailand, and most other countries use a GSM network. Verizon uses a CDMA network which is also used by Sprint and Brazil and Japan if I recall correctly. Will an unlocked Verizon CDMA IPhone work on a GSM network? I don't know the answer but if it works on ATT or T-Mobile it should work with a Thai SIM card.

My unlocked ATT Galaxy S4 works great with a Thai SIM card. I bought the Samsung Galaxy S4 in large part because it works with sim cards of so many countries. Thanks for the tip oin Fortune Town. Pantip is a pain in the ass to get to especially with the heat of BKK.My CDMA 4's phone verizon was able to be unlocked last year but not this year. MBK is the best place for phones. Fortune town for IT and cameras,

Traveler1234
11-29-14, 16:14
T-Mobile, ATT, and Thailand, and most other countries use a GSM network. Verizon uses a CDMA network which is also used by Sprint and Brazil and Japan if I recall correctly. Will an unlocked Verizon CDMA IPhone work on a GSM network? I don't know the answer but if it works on ATT or T-Mobile it should work with a Thai SIM card.
I've used my 5's throughout Asia with prepaid and post paid sim cards, never a problem. Only the 5's and newer models also work on ATT and TMO. The 4's worked overseas but not domestic US network providers. By far the 'most versatile' iPhone 6 or 6+ is the Verizon model. Can be used worldwide. By USA law MUST BE FACTORY UNLOCKED.

Duniawala
11-29-14, 17:32
I've used my 5's throughout Asia with prepaid and post paid sim cards, never a problem. Only the 5's and newer models also work on ATT and TMO. The 4's worked overseas but not domestic US network providers. By far the 'most versatile' iPhone 6 or 6+ is the Verizon model. Can be used worldwide. By USA law MUST BE FACTORY UNLOCKED.CDMA and GSM are incompatible. If there is no CDMA in use in Thailand CDMAs won't work. If the iPhone 6 has a dual system (I. E. Both CDMA and a GSM SIM slot) then yes. BTW never heard of USA law about factory unlocking. That's what the phone companies say to force their customers to use their Very Very expensive roaming network. They also say unlocking elsewhere will void their warranty. I bet 99% of the phone company workers in the US will have no clue if a phone is locked or unlocked just by using it.

Traveler1234
11-29-14, 19:07
CDMA and GSM are incompatible. If the iPhone 6 has a dual system (I. E. Both CDMA and a GSM SIM slot) then yes. BTW never heard of USA law about factory unlocking.I don't want to get OT on this thread so I'll be brief:

1. Verizon agreed with FCC to factory unlock their iPhones starting with 5 as an exchange for additional LTE bandwidth. So unlike ATT and TMO; although TMO now unlocks their iPhones after 3-4 month period FOC.
2. CDMA and GSM are indeed different and incompatible. But each Verizon [don't know about Sprint] CDMA iPhone starting with 4's has GSM bandwidth included.

As both a Verizon and Apple fanboy, trust me when I state categorically that:

1. 4's Verizon works on any non-USA GSM network providers. But you need to call the global CS # provided earlier.
2. 5's Verizon and newer 6 models are factory unlocked by default and out of the box works on ALL GSM networks, including TMO/ATT. And if you update to iOS 8. X on 5's or newer models, the Verizon iPhone will even have wifi enabled calls when paired with TMO post paid account.
3. AND THE 4s Verizon and above models all work in LOS, Cambodia, Burma, HK, Singapore, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, Taiwan and China...all based on actual person usage in past 3+ yrs of travel to these countries.

This will help confirm: https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/.

TwoTimeTed
01-22-15, 08:16
Thailand Cell Phone.

I did not get a clear answer on whether a phone that I use would work in Thailand. I think it will not.

FYI: My phone is a USA Cricket Samsung 3 Galaxy. It uses CDMA but also has a SIM card. So that's a catch-22!

So I will probably just buy one there in BKK. So I looked them up, a person can buy a Samsung 4 for around $100 USD (States side its $400+). But my understanding is, they are probably knock-offs and although they may seem great at first, the inferior product as time goes on, wears out. Would this be accurate?

If that's the case, then I would probably just get their throw-away cheap phone.

I plan to use the phone to communicate with gals that I encounter FLs and use internet on the phone (buying a local Sim card).

What is the recommendation here?

Gypsie King
01-22-15, 16:57
Thailand Cell Phone.

I did not get a clear answer on whether a phone that I use would work in Thailand. I think it will not.

FYI: My phone is a USA Cricket Samsung 3 Galaxy. It uses CDMA but also has a SIM card. So that's a catch-22!

So I will probably just buy one there in BKK. So I looked them up, a person can buy a Samsung 4 for around $100 USD (States side its $400+). But my understanding is, they are probably knock-offs and although they may seem great at first, the inferior product as time goes on, wears out. Would this be accurate?

If that's the case, then I would probably just get their throw-away cheap phone.

I plan to use the phone to communicate with gals that I encounter FLs and use internet on the phone (buying a local Sim card).

What is the recommendation here?My recommendation would be to buy at least a quad band GSM phone, they are sold unlocked in thailand and this way you can use them anywhere in the world.

GK.

Traveler1234
01-22-15, 17:07
Check with Cricket whether your phone is factory unlocked already, and if not, whether they will do for you. I know Verizon will unlock as long as you are in good standing with them. Then when you arrive in Bkk, pick up prepaid at the kiosks near door 7 at airport.

There are literally hundreds of unlocked GSM worldwide phones available on both CL and eBay, some for well less than $100.

Simian
01-23-15, 19:46
Check with Cricket whether your phone is factory unlocked already, and if not, whether they will do for you. I know Verizon will unlock as long as you are in good standing with them. Then when you arrive in Bkk, pick up prepaid at the kiosks near door 7 at airport.

There are literally hundreds of unlocked GSM worldwide phones available on both CL and eBay, some for well less than $100.I am sure that if you go around some of the usual places, such as MBK or the IT Mall, you will find someone who can unlock a phone for you. This is a standard service in many cities even in Europe, such as in London. But it is always some guy in a small shop who does it. The big phone companies don't like it.

Traveler1234
01-23-15, 21:21
I am sure that if you go around some of the usual places, such as MBKAgree 100%.

Daddy San
01-24-15, 10:03
CDMA phones are locked to one particular provider in the US and though they can be unlocked, they will still only work with other CDMA providers in the US and and in North-Korea(?).
GSM phones will work anywhere in the civilized world.
If I am not mistaken, you can buy some dual-systems phones.

Traveler1234
01-24-15, 14:46
CDMA phones are locked to one particular provider in the US and though they can be unlocked, they will still only work with other CDMA providers in the US and and in North-Korea(?).Not entirely true. Since release of 5's, ALL Verizon CDMA iphones are already FACTORY UNLOCKED for any GSM network worldwide, including TMO / AT&T. We have 3 in the house and they all work international. In fact my Verizon CDMA is now using my private TMO account and my biz number is tied to older 4's model.

I believe but not 1000% sure most Verizon android phones are now also factory unlocked for GSM. If not they will do so with a quick call to their global tech support number (908 559-4899)....takes less than 10 minutes and FREE.

Mua Tur
01-24-15, 15:21
CDMA is a system mostly convenient from provider's end, I. E one BTS (CDMA) able to cover relatively larger area than a BTS (GSM) area. Have stronger signals (CDMA) even in a shut down place. On the other hand GSM is mostly convenient for user ends. One BTS (GSM) serves relatively smaller area and able to serve a stable signal for users.

From the very beginning there were no Rims were been used for CDMA system. The phone itself was been coded as rim by the provider and the phone was fully dedicated to one provider. That's why any unhappy user was unable to change his provider using the same phone set. On the other hand GSM system arrived in the market with Sim card concept. So any user can change the provider keeping the phone set alive just by changing the Sim card. Times past this facility was not availed by the users in CDMA system. In some places CDMA providers charged for incoming calls from the users, but GSM users always availed free for the same.

Later on Rim card came in the market instead of coded phone set. But that's also shown fruit less being less providers of CDMA system. If someone have a GSM phone and arrived in a new place, it was been guaranteed that the new comer may find some GSM provider's Sim for the phone. But CDMA Rim may not.

The big phone manufacturers installed some lock system in the phone for their market policy, but it has been proven it's not a rocket science at all. The geniuses in small shops in any corner of the world are able to unlock the phone. But they are unable to help us if we bring a CDMA phone to be used for GSM Sim.

CDMA phone must be used by CDMA rim and GSM phone by GSM Sim. It is nothing with the phone locking system. Now days some special phones may collect from the market have duel (Sim and Rim) card pocket.

Allover
01-25-15, 07:04
If I pay a small shop to unlock my phone is the result the same as having my mobile phone company unlock my phone? Do the small shops use the exact same unlock code as my phone company?

Daddy San
01-25-15, 07:31
If I pay a small shop to unlock my phone is the result the same as having my mobile phone company unlock my phone? Do the small shops use the exact same unlock code as my phone company?I have not used a CDMA phone for over 10 years, so cannot be sure of this, BUT:

Will you be able to to use phone with your CDMA provider again, after having it unlocked?

There must be experience out here.

Mua Tur
01-25-15, 10:41
If I pay a small shop to unlock my phone is the result the same as having my mobile phone company unlock my phone? Do the small shops use the exact same unlock code as my phone company?They use their own way to unlock the phone. You need an unlocked usable phone and they will do for you.

Traveler1234
01-25-15, 15:04
I have not used a CDMA phone for over 10 years, so cannot be sure of this, BUT:

Will you be able to to use phone with your CDMA provider again, after having it unlocked?

There must be experience out here.Let me try again.

Most of the newer model CDMA phones stateside, particularly the Verizon droid, samsung and iphone models are both cdma and GSM equiped. When you use verizon stateside, it's cdma. If, repeat, if you chose to use the verizon network when you travel overseas, the sim card in the cdma phone (YES, there is a sim card tray with a verizon sim card in it! You just pay a ridiculously high international roaming fees.

When the sim card component is unlocked, either by factory, by Verizon or some third party, it can then be used with any international GSM network provider. And since the 5's iphone model, even the domestic US GSM providers like TMO / AT&T will work on the cdma verizon iphone. I have actually inserted a HK postpaid sim card into both my 4's and 5's when stateside and got them up and running (when inserted, it overrides the verizon cdma network!

And the answer to your particular question above: YES YES YES. After it is unlocked, will still work fine with cdma provider. I've got two Verizon iPhone 4's that were unlocked, used them in Asia with prepaid and postpaid sim cards, and return stateside to use back on cdma network.

Syzygies
01-25-15, 16:04
Advice to Mongers. If buying a new phone, and you are a traveller like me, get one that is unlocked from the start sold by the phone makers, like Samsung or Apple, etc. If you want a fancy phone, but that cost is too high for you, just buy a cheap mongering phone when you get to Thailand, maybe even 2nd hand and put a top up SIM in it. Its easy. These days you can get a relatively cheap 2nd hand smart phone originally from one of the better companies. Its handy to pay some amount to get several Gigabytes of data on the phone to last you for 1 week or 3 weeks or whatever. The benefits of being able to use Google Maps, LINE, Whatsapp, even check the sports scores, etc. On your phone are great. Even just to be easily contactable to meet up with girls or your mates is worthwhile.

Having a Thai SIM for your monger phone is a must in my opinion. You can set up various security on a modern phone, to prevent prying eyes, to be silent when need, not to display unwanted messages except when you want to look at them, etc.

If you can afford to visit Thailand, can afford to Monger, then surely a Thai top-up SIM is a no brainer, and get a monger phone if necessary. I have several phone handsets now. I don't throw my old ones away immediately. They are spares. I currently have 4 active SIM cards for various countries.

I have bought a dual SIM phone now for convenience. The GF need not know that phone holds my regular Thai SIM and also the mongering SIM, that is set to silent and with different privacy settings. I have to watch out that certain things stay private, like setting my computers timezone info in Skype to be "Private" so GF cannot tell which country I am in. or just remember to alter my computer and phone timezones to reflect the country I am supposed to officially be in.

Passport is always hidden away and fortunately GF doesn't ask to examine it. In order to avoid suspicion, I am always telling GF correct time I arrive in Thailand, and she can look my baggage labels if she likes. I am tricky only in that I have sometimes remained in Thailand after officially I have flown out. This is only when I am looking for significant extended time with some other girl(s). This is less suspicious and harder for GF to check without having the passport. By the time I come back to see her, any past suspicions may be forgotten too.

At one time in the past, I applied for a new passport after old one was misplaced, and later found the old one. I found I could get away with using the new passport for official business and old one for mongering trips. First time used the old one purely by accident, but were no consequences. Not legal and I am not sure if this is still possible in the modern day. However was the ultimate for hiding mongering visits to Thailand, when officially doing something else.

Gypsie King
01-27-15, 20:02
All samsung phones I have used can be unlocked for an average of 15 usd by using online services. This works because you just have to insert a SIM card of a different network the phone is locked to, then type the code you bought online and voila, phone is sim unlocked forever.

Iphones are a different story, they can be sim unlocked by hacking the phone (called jailbreaking), or by having your phone vendor unlocks it for you, this is called factory unlock because your identification number (called IMEI) has to be registered on the apple server, next time you connect your iphone to itunes it will be unlocked. Jailbreaking is specific to an IOS version and your phone will be relocked if you do an upgrade when a new ios version comes along, factory unlock allows you to keep the phone unlocked forever, whatever future version of ios you will install, so this is the preferred way.

There is a third way, if your phone provider is unwilling to unlock your phone, then you will have to pay a third party that will register your IMEi with apple, I have no idea how they do that but they can.

At MBK, this service takes maximum 7 days and costs 3,500 THB last time I inquired. If you leave the phone with them, you only pay when the phone is unlocked, otherwise you have to pay upfront and wait for them to tell you it's done so you can connect your iphone to itunes to have it unlocked.

This long posting conclusion: Samsung are very easy to unlock, iphones can be tricky to unlock.

GK.

Traveler1234
01-27-15, 20:16
Iphones are a different story, they can be sim unlocked by hacking the phone (called jailbreaking), or by having your phone vendor unlocks it for you, this is called factory unlock because your identification number (called IMEI) has to be registered on the apple server
Absolutely INCORRECT.

You can unlock to use third party sim cards without jailbreaking.

And jailbreaking does not, repeat. Does not unlock your iPhone to permit third party sim card usage. What jb does is to give you access to third party apps (called tweaks) that are not permitted via the apple app store on iTunes. Cydia is the default repository for third party apps and there are literally hundreds of others.

Gypsie King
01-27-15, 21:00
Absolutely INCORRECT.

You can unlock to use third party sim cards without jailbreaking.

And jailbreaking does not, repeat. Does not unlock your iPhone to permit third party sim card usage. What jb does is to give you access to third party apps (called tweaks) that are not permitted via the apple app store on iTunes. Cydia is the default repository for third party apps and there are literally hundreds of others.Traveler1234: please read my post, I wrote there are two ways to unlock your iphone. Jailbreaking it and factory unlocking it.

You are right, after jailbreaking it, you would also need to use a program to sim unlock the iphone (like ultrasnow), but this is ios version specific.

I also wrote that factory unlock is the prefered option, but please realize that some vendors won't sim factory unlock your iphone till you reach the end of your contracted commitment (for example 2 years in some countries).

I am not aware of any other way to sim unlock an iphones.

GK.

Old New Guy
01-27-15, 21:02
Thailand Cell Phone.
What do you mean a knock-off. Is it says Samsung xyz, a Samsung xyz is what you will be getting, and it would be identical to the one in the US. Thais would not let to be screwed over a fake cellphone. There are old style phones at 7/11 for Bt 600, while a 4" smartphone of decent quality is, I think about Bt 4,000. Also available 5 and 7 inches. By the way phones have become very, very cheap all over the world, may be you haven't looked.

Honestly I would have understood more this thread in 2002, nowadays it's harder to get a good meal in Thailand than a phone.

Traveler1234
01-28-15, 01:54
Traveler1234: please read my post, I wrote there are two ways to unlock your iphone. Jailbreaking it and factory unlocking it.
You are right, after jailbreaking it, you would also need to use a program to sim unlock the iphone (like ultrasnow), but this is ios version specific.
GK.Not trying to be argumentative or nerdy but that is false.

Rather than repeat myself, read this: http://ipod.about.com/od/jailbreakingunlocking/f/Whats-The-Difference-Between-Unlocking-And-Jailbreaking-An-Iphone.htm..

Ultrasnow first requires JB and then only works on older iPhones, pre-4's models. http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Unlock-iPhone-4-Using-Ultrasnow-iPhone-IMEI-and-Gevey-Sim-Tool It hasn't been popular for the past 3+ yrs.

Again, JB alone does not unlock a phone. If all you want to do is use smartphone for third party carriers, don't JB. Call your provider to unlock for you, or pay $15 via Craigslist or go visit MBK.

Gypsie King
01-28-15, 04:19
http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Unlock-iPhone-4-Using-Ultrasnow-iPhone-IMEI-and-Gevey-Sim-Tool It hasn't been popular for the past 3+ yrs.

Again, JB alone does not unlock a phone. If all you want to do is use smartphone for third party carriers, don't JB. Call your provider to unlock for you, or pay $15 via Craigslist or go visit MBK.Ah you are right, the sim unlock software solution (after jailbreak) doesn't support recent version of ios. Also I forgot to mention the hardware solution you are mentioning (gevey tool) as an add on on your sim card.

I guess you are using a US iphone to pay only 15 usd for a factory unlock, it's much more for other countries, at least for the countries where I got my iphones.

At MBK they will propose both Gevey tools and factory unlock methods. In conclusion, for a modern iphone (post ios6), these are the only methods to use them with another network SIM card if your network provider is unwilling to unlock it for you. Of course, always check if it's not unlocked already by inserting another network sim card, I had friends who didn't know that their subsidized iphone was unlocked. Lucky them.

Thanks traveler for correcting me, I learn every day.

GK.

Breadman
01-28-15, 13:01
What do you mean a knock-off. Is it says Samsung xyz, a Samsung xyz is what you will be getting, and it would be identical to the one in the US.The outside will look identical but what drives the phone, the chips and processor even the camera, inside the phone will be inferior to the original being sold in the states. Easiest way to see this is to find a knockoff being sold in Bangkok and set the original next to it and see how fast each react to your touch. The knockoff, which looks perfectly legit, will react much slower than the original. The "samsung xyz" will have current state of the art electronics in its guys, the "knockoff xyz" will look identical but holds the guts of a 4 year old phone. In the end you get what you pay for.

Old New Guy
01-29-15, 20:44
The outside will look identical but what drives the phone, the chips and processor even the camera, inside the phone will be inferior to the original being sold in the states. Easiest way to see this is to find a knockoff being sold in Bangkok and set the original next to it and see how fast each react to your touch. The knockoff, which looks perfectly legit, will react much slower than the original. The "samsung xyz" will have current state of the art electronics in its guys, the "knockoff xyz" will look identical but holds the guts of a 4 year old phone. In the end you get what you pay for.You are wrong, and there is tons of dissecting websites to prove it, I could challenge you to post a link to a video that support your claims, however I can tell since the get going that I'm talking with someone that knows very little about the global smartphone market of today, so believe what you want, buy what you wish, and enjoy.

Breadman
01-29-15, 23:39
You are wrong, and there is tons of dissecting websites to prove it, I could challenge you to post a link to a video that support your claims, however I can tell since the get going that I'm talking with someone that knows very little about the global smartphone market of today, so believe what you want, buy what you wish, and enjoy.Up to you to prove me wrong, post some of these websites that your talking about. I'm not going by a video, I'm going by standing at the shopping stall comparing the knockoff to my real phone. They sell imitation everything from China, from watch's to viagra made out of chalkboard. But they wouldn't make a knockoff phone says the old new guy. Yeah.

Allover
01-30-15, 05:57
Old New Guy they do sell fake phones so beware. The Chinese make a knock off version of nearly every mass marketed product. Pantip Plaza has more fake stuff than real stuff. My first GSM world phone was a Motorola Razr I bought on ebay. It weighed about a third as much as my Sprint version Razr. I doubt it was real even though it did work well for me.

Mr Enternational
01-30-15, 06:28
Of course they are knock offs. The people who sell you the phones will even tell you that. Just tell them that you want to see an original, not a copy. There are also apps that you can download to a phone that will analyze it and tell you if it is genuine or not.

FYI: The phones in Thailand cost the same (or more) as they do in the USA. Even still, they may be missing some features that you may need. For instance the phones in Thailand are not 4G (or at least a few months ago there were none). Do your homework before making a purchase.

When I bought my $600 Samsung Galaxy S5 in the States last year, my man at Tukcom in Pattaya convinced me to buy a 300 baht glass screen protector. He said my screen is a Super-Amoled that costs $400 and there is no knock-off screen to replace it with.

TwoTimeTed
01-31-15, 05:26
Hope I wrote the name of it correctly. I have never seen so many cell phones in my life! Wow!

Basically, a lot of these cell phone vendors will quote you a real Samsung galaxy price of 500 to 800 USD. Some have copies and some say its real.

Well bust my gut, I decided to buy the knockoff Note 4 at 3500 baht about 100 USD. Everything on phone looks like the real McCoy, but we'll see. Thought about buying a few and resell them in the states, not sure if I will do that.

IllusionHeart
01-31-15, 06:29
Hope I wrote the name of it correctly. I have never seen so many cell phones in my life! Wow!!

Basically, a lot of these cell phone vendors will quote you a real Samsung galaxy price of 500 to 800 USD. Some have copies and some say its real.

Well bust my gut, I decided to buy the knockoff Note 4 at 3500 baht about 100 USD. Everything on phone looks like the real McCoy, but we'll see. Thought about buying a few and resell them in the states, not sure if I will do that.Ted, do let me know how the note 4 performs in few days. I would want to pick up one my next visit.

Old New Guy
02-01-15, 14:55
Well, in a brilliant move I have totalled my one-month old Samsung S4 mini Due yesterday, so I went to Tukcom in Pattaya for a replacement.

I have to apologize to Breadman for having said that there are no knockoffs, I didn't realize that there is plenty, but to be fair these don't look original at all. If you want to spend only 2 or 3,000 Bath better to take an "original" no pretense brand and you will be better served.

In short the offer doesn't seem to be any good compared to Western countries. For one, there is little mid-market offer, then the last models across the range are not available yet, and finally the prices aren't competitive to Western countries. I could only find a 2nd hand S4 mini in perfect conditions for 6,000 Bt, paid with CC. Another shop was asking 13,000 for new, which is just out of the world. I like a 4. 5" display at the most because it's the biggest size that can still be called pocketable, and can be used with a single hand.

MilesToGo
02-01-15, 15:20
..... knockoff Note 4 at 3500 baht about 100 USD. Everything on phone looks like the real McCoy, but we'll see. Thought about buying a few and resell them in the states, not sure if I will do that.Ted,

As long as you know it is a copy np.

I bought a knockoff s3 some years back, quickly realized it's limitations. Could not load from apps store!!

Took it back same day to tucom & was able to upgrade w /$ to a real one.

TwoTimeTed
02-05-15, 11:13
Update Samsung Knockoff Note 4.

I knew it was a knock off, I bought it anyways for $100 usd.

I met a Scottish guy who lives in Bangkok part time and he showed me his knockoff phone (different brand). He said he had it for less than one year and his camera doesn't not work and it turns off by itself every so often. In fact at the Beer Garden on Soi5 where we had a drink, it happened, he had to take the battery out and then back in to restart it.

So about the Note 4 that I bought, I can tell (after having it a few days) the camera sucks, not quality. It seems that some of my touches on the phone bring up something I didn't touch. I believe it is slower than Samsung s3 that I have with me.

I was told it was a Korean copy, not Chinese copy. When I opened Google maps, it said Google maps China. I opened another app, same.

Also they put on a protective cover, so I was thinking that is why the touches and quickness sucks, but I don't think that's why.

I have used a couple of applications at the same time and it seems to work fair.

So you be the judge.

Deore27
02-06-15, 09:57
Questions regarding using a US phone overseas. I have a Verison Moto X (model 1060). Can I just get a prepaid sim card and use the phone overseas?

Etaoin2003
02-07-15, 16:52
Questions regarding using a US phone overseas. I have a Verison Moto X (model 1060). Can I just get a prepaid sim card and use the phone overseas?Yes, the Verizon model supports GSM (global standards) as well as CDMA. Check with Verizon to see if it is unlocked. It requires a nano SIM.

IllusionHeart
02-09-15, 19:41

I have used a couple of applications at the same time and it seems to work fair.

So you be the judge.Thanks for sharing your experience Ted.

I think I am going to hold on to my Note 2 till it completely dies on me.

Got a trip due in 4 days to LOS and another maiden visit coming up in April to Philippines, got to make better use of $600 instead of splurging on a Note 4.

Dinghy
02-21-15, 19:51

I met a Scottish guy who lives in Bangkok part time and he showed me his knockoff phone (different brand). He said he had it for less than one year and his camera doesn't not work and it turns off by itself every so often. In fact at the Beer Garden on Soi5 where we had a drink, it happened, he had to take the battery out and then back in to restart it.

So about the Note 4 that I bought, I can tell (after having it a few days) the camera sucks, not quality. It seems that some of my touches on the phone bring up something I didn't touch. I believe it is slower than Samsung s3 that I have with me.

I was told it was a Korean copy, not Chinese copy. When I opened Google maps, it said Google maps China. I opened another app, same.

Also they put on a protective cover, so I was thinking that is why the touches and quickness sucks, but I don't think that's why.

So you be the judge.Virtually EVERY knock off is CHINESE. They say Korea (gow lee) but they LIE. Chinese. They make PERFECT copies (when they want to) otherwise cosmetically good looking but a general downgrade from "real".

TwoTimeTed
02-21-15, 21:52
Virtually EVERY knock off is CHINESE. They say Korea (gow lee) but they LIE. Chinese. They make PERFECT copies (when they want to) otherwise cosmetically good looking but a general downgrade from "real".Yes, I knew they were just saying that (its Korean, not Chinese), I didn't even ask, but they brought it up. But nevertheless, I bought it.

A quick update: I am using my Samsung 3 cell phone and I notice the difference and that fake Note 4 I bought just isn't fast at all.

So I put in an ad on CL in the states to sell it for $250 USD. I stated it was a fake Note 4 from Asia and I got a lot of emails to buy it (I bought it for $100 USD).

I have not sold it yet since I am busy at the moment, it was more of a test Sale. But it looks like I'm going to sell it, the phone just isn't not fast enough.

KevinSBo
04-16-15, 17:12
Hi all,

I am planing my first visit to Thailand in about a week. For the last trips that I've taken I started buying local Sim cards for my phone, as I managed to find them pretty cheap in Europe (20 euros tops) including some internet surfing option. I find this very convenient as I can use the Maps and also be in touch with people, search for thing online, all in all a good deal. My question is weather this could also be worked out in Asia. I will be in Thailand for only 2 weeks. Also, which provider is the best when it comes to Internet surfing quality and the best deals, preferably package with some local minutes? Thanks a lot for any suggestion!

Breadman
04-16-15, 20:39
Hi all,

I am planing my first visit to Thailand in about a week. For the last trips that I've taken I started buying local Sim cards for my phone, as I managed to find them pretty cheap in Europe (20 euros tops) including some internet surfing option. I find this very convenient as I can use the Maps and also be in touch with people, search for thing online, all in all a good deal. My question is weather this could also be worked out in Asia. I will be in Thailand for only 2 weeks. Also, which provider is the best when it comes to Internet surfing quality and the best deals, preferably package with some local minutes? Thanks a lot for any suggestion!They have sim card stands at the airport if I'm not mistaken, also on the 6th floor of terminal 21 mall next to soi cowboy.

KevinSBo
04-16-15, 22:46
They have sim card stands at the airport if I'm not mistaken, also on the 6th floor of terminal 21 mall next to soi cowboy.Thanks! Is there any better network or they're all pretty much the same? When it comes to internet surfing speed and coverage?

Big Boss Man
04-17-15, 02:44
Thanks! Is there any better network or they're all pretty much the same? When it comes to internet surfing speed and coverage?I am in Bangkok now. I bought a TrueMove Tourist sim card from a 7-11. It costs 300 baht a week. It is only 3 G but it is working fine for me. You need to have your passport available to buy the sim card.

Omigawd
04-17-15, 03:50
I always run into problems using above mentioned card's data plan on iPhone 3G. Can't surf. Seems to e some sort of profile issue. Does anyone know of another card that works with iPhone 3G for data?

Banana Boi
04-17-15, 04:48
I am in Bangkok now. I bought a TrueMove Tourist sim card from a 7-11. It costs 300 baht a week. It is only 3 G but it is working fine for me. You need to have your passport available to buy the sim card.Thanks BBM.

Do they sell unlocked cell phones at 7-11 as well? If so, how much are they? I can't unlock my own phone since it's a company phone.

If, not, is there a good place near Soi Cowboy to pick one up. Breadman, does the place in Term 21 sell unlocked phones?

Harry Dude
04-17-15, 05:35
Thanks! Is there any better network or they're all pretty much the same? When it comes to internet surfing speed and coverage?I have used DTAC and AIC. To me they are both very good, with excellent coverage in the places I usually go (Bangkok, Phuket, Koh Samui). I hardly ever bother connecting to hotel WiFi when my phone is on either of these networks. When I was in Bangkok last week, I was on DTAC and my phone was on very high speed LTE all the time.

Harry Dude
04-17-15, 05:37
Thanks BBM.

Do they sell unlocked cell phones at 7-11 as well? If so, how much are they? I can't unlock my own phone since it's a company phone.

If, not, is there a good place near Soi Cowboy to pick one up. Breadman, does the place in Term 21 sell unlocked phones?If you want a fantastic selection of unlocked phones. Head to the MBK centre. There you can find any phone and accessory known to man. Insane. Getting there is easy. Use Skytrain from Asoke to Siam, then change to the other line and go one stop from Siam to National Stadium. The entrance to MBK is directly from the Skytrain skywalk.

Harry Dude
04-17-15, 05:43
They have sim card stands at the airport if I'm not mistaken, also on the 6th floor of terminal 21 mall next to soi cowboy.Breadman is not mistaken. All the major networks in Thailand have shops in the BKK airport on the arrivals level (when you exit customs, you are already on the right floor), and the whole process of buying a SIM is easy. I was there a couple of weeks ago, and I usually top off my thai SIM upon arrival, but this time I had lost my thai DTAC SIM and had to buy a new one. They didn't even ask for passport, which they are supposed to. The whole thing took less than 5 minutes.

Banana Boi
04-17-15, 05:46
Thanks Harry. Since this will be done on my first day in Thailand I would prefer something easy within walking distance from Soi Cowboy.

There are old style phones at 7/11 for Bt 600, while a 4" smartphone of decent quality is, I think about Bt 4,000. I found my answer here. Sorry guys for not looking harder before I posted.

Allover
04-17-15, 05:46
The top floor at Terminal 21 across the street from Soi Cowboy has all of the major phone/internet providers. It is easy to walk to several phone/internet stores and find the best deal for a two week stay. There are always promotions going on. Tru, DTAC, and AIS are the major carriers. I usually get the best deals with 123 CAll Sim cards which I believe are a subsidiary of AIS. All of the providers can provide a SIM card that wil provide a good amount of local minutes and 1 GB-2 GB of internet for about B400 in my experience. Check each store as somebody always has a good promotion. The benefit of buying here is that the stores will insert and program the sim card for you. You will walk out of the store with working internet and phone access. The internet is usually 3G but 3G in Thailand is fast. You find the same stuff at MBK Shopping mall which is also connected to a BTS station.

Unlocked phones are sold on the top floor of T21 and at MBK. Banana Boi forget 7-11. Since you are near T21 go there and buy a SIM or unlocked phone.

FL Hawk
04-20-15, 00:34
I had planned to have my AT at T iPhone unlocked for my upcoming Thailand trip, but since I am on contract, they won't unlock it. I don't really want to have a phone where I can be reached at anyway. Email is fine. But I do want to access to the Internet.

So, I presume I will be able to access the Internet via hotel or Internet Cafe WiFi both the iPhone as well as my laptop. I just need to remember to put my phone into the Airplane mode.

Will someone please confirm my presumption is correct please?

Tmackly
04-20-15, 01:23
I had planned to have my AT at T iPhone unlocked for my upcoming Thailand trip, but since I am on contract, they won't unlock it. I don't really want to have a phone where I can be reached at anyway. Email is fine. But I do want to access to the Internet.

So, I presume I will be able to access the Internet via hotel or Internet Cafe WiFi both the iPhone as well as my laptop. I just need to remember to put my phone into the Airplane mode.

Will someone please confirm my presumption is correct please?You know you don't have to go to your provider to get your phone unlocked. You can simply go to any third party to unlock it. It usually cost around 30-55. Depending on who's unlocking it for you.

Gypsie King
04-20-15, 01:58
Yes hawk, any smartphone including iphones, android phones and windows phone can be put in airplane mode with wifi active. This will allow you to use any wifi spots to access the internet and read emails, browse the web and use voip (skype, viber, line, etc.).

GK.

Gypsie King
04-20-15, 02:03
You can also have your att iphone unlocked on ebay before you leave. Use a vendor with plenty of good feedback. It's called a factory unlock, for few bucks. Then you can buy a cheap prepaid sim card at suvarnabhumi airport and access the internet anywhere in 3 g. Because you use a non att sim card, nobody can call you unless you give them the new number. alternatively, you can go to mbk in bangkok and have it unlocked there.... at mbk you will only pay once unlocked ...

GK.

Long91
04-20-15, 03:11

Will someone please confirm my presumption is correct please?I was in the same boat as I just got my new note edge from AT&T and started a new 2 year contract. I used an online service which sent me a code in 1 1/2 days. Now I am unlocked. Pm me if you want the one I used.

Allover
04-20-15, 04:07
I was in the same boat as I just got my new note edge from AT&T and started a new 2 year contract. I used an online service which sent me a code in 1 1/2 days. Now I am unlocked. Pm me if you want the one I used.ATT unlocked my Galaxy S4 after I owned it for 3 months. I'm going to try to negotiate with them to unlock my next phone when I renew my contract. I get nervous unlocking at a mall or using an online code. I'm not sure the online codes are the same codes ATT provides when they unlock a phone. If they are then I wouldn't mind using them. I don't want to do anything to void my maintenance agreement. Can anybody confirm the online codes are the exact same ones ATT provides? I've heard conflicting answers.

Big Boss Man
04-21-15, 02:57
I was looking around for a used smartphone for my brother. I found a used Samsung S3 for 4500 baht at Terminal 21 on the top floor where the movie theaters are. I am still using my Google Nexus which is a similar model as the S3. I thought it was a good price. Used S3's are going for $145 on Amazon right now. It saves a trip to the MBK. Thanks to Allover for the good advice.

Darmstadter
04-21-15, 06:55
I have bought several unlocked phones on ebay that work great in Thailand and many other countries. The most recent was a Blu advance 4. 0 GSM quadband unlocked smart phone shipped to my house for under $90.

I always buy a sim card from the True sim booth right outside of exit door B after clearing customs. It costs maybe $10 for 2 weeks of service with great calls back to the states. I have used this same phone in many countries that have a GSM network.

Make sure the phone is a quadband and GSM network and it will work. I also keep a spare flip phone with me when I travel that I also bought on ebay several years ago that I keep as a back up pone.

Breadman
05-02-15, 07:47
Little stand outside a rx place on second road, other side of the street from walking street. Its almost exactly across the street from the side street going past angelwitch. Wslk to second and cross over.

Dan7373
05-04-15, 13:28
Thanks BBM.

If, not, is there a good place near Soi Cowboy to pick one up. Breadman, does the place in Term 21 sell unlocked phones?It's probably illegal in Thailand for companies to sell locked phones. Because this is an anti-competitive practice designed to take advantage of consumers and prevent them from making free choices in the marketplace.

Locking phones is illegal in many non-western countries. It's only in USA and in Western Europe such anti-competitive practice is both legal and common.

The reason why USA and Western Europe are different is because the governments there are making a lot of money from their arrangement with the phone companies. Western governments auction off mobile phone spectrum to the companies for many billions of dollars. And then these governments enable phone companies to recover their money and more by allowing anti-competitive practices, such as locking phones and forcing consumers to be loyal to one company for a long time, even when the service is expensive and poor.

It's basically indirect government taxation of consumers, where politicians get the money and spend it on getting re-elected, while private companies get the blame, which they don't mind, because they don't need to get re-elected.

If Thailand had full democracy, then perhaps its government would've done the same as Western governments are doing now. There is something to be said for doing things in non-western ways. The West isn't always the best.

Breadman
05-04-15, 14:07
Any of the malls will sell unlocked phones but are they worth the price if you can buy them unlocked via ebay? But there is a risk of them not working, you just never know.

ID suggest you show up, look for a place selling cell phones (term 21 etc) and find a place that sells both phones and sims. Just make sure it works, not just for phone and text but for internet. Have them install LINE, Wechat and Skout. Girls use these so they don't have to pay for texts and calls. If it doesn't work, walk away.

Rodwint2
05-04-15, 22:17
I have some older GSM phones that can be unlocked and possibly used in BKK. I also have a T Mobile one that suppose to be able to be used in Thailand at $0. 20 per minute. I could also just buy a cheap phone there and load some minutes. I don't expect to be using it much while in BKK.

Any suggestions from you regulars? Thanks.

Allover
05-05-15, 05:01
I have some older GSM phones that can be unlocked and possibly used in BKK. I also have a T Mobile one that suppose to be able to be used in Thailand at $0. 20 per minute. I could also just buy a cheap phone there and load some minutes. I don't expect to be using it much while in BKK.

Any suggestions from you regulars? Thanks.Here are some things to consider. Are your old phones quad band GSM phones? Quad band GSM phones can access almost every mobile network in any country not just Thailand. Google the make and model of the phone and look at the specs to see if it is a quad band phone. If your phone is Quad band, you can use your phone all over Europe in addition to most Asian countries.

Is your old phone GSM, quad band, and a smart phone that can access the internet? I would definitely unlock and keep. The cheap, unlocked phones you buy in Thailand are usually not quad band (despite what they tell you) and may not work in many other countries.

If I recall correctly most Thai SIM cards charge. 05 per minute to call back to the USA Calls in Thailand are about. 02 per minute. A working phone, especially with internet, is very good to have in Thailand. I program my hotel number into my phone and call the hotel for translation from time to time. Great in an emergency. You will likely uise your phone more than you realize.

Dan7373
05-05-15, 13:57
Here are some things to consider. Are your old phones quad band GSM phones? Quad band GSM phones can access almost every mobile network in any country not just Thailand. Google the make and model of the phone and look at the specs to see if it is a quad band phone. If your phone is Quad band, you can use your phone all over Europe in addition to most Asian countries.

Is your old phone GSM, quad band, and a smart phone that can access the internet? I would definitely unlock and keep. The cheap, unlocked phones you buy in Thailand are usually not quad band (despite what they tell you) and may not work in many other countries.
If you want to be sure that you are getting a quad-band phone, then you should look it up on the Internet and know exactly what model and what make of phone you are looking for, so that there is no mistake, and you aren't relying on some unreliable sources.

And if you want to buy an unlocked phone, then you can buy it over the internet directly from China at a website such as Ali Express or some other such website. China is where a lot of smartphones are made, and if you buy it directly from there, then you will save some money. It's just that the delivery of the phone might take longer than buying it in your country.

Here are some pictures and lists of quad-band phones:

http://www.aliexpress.com/popular/dual-sim-quad-band-cell-phones.html

Rodwint2
05-05-15, 21:21
Here are some things to consider. Are your old phones quad band GSM phones? Quad band GSM phones can access almost every mobile network in any country not just Thailand. Google the make and model of the phone and look at the specs to see if it is a quad band phone. If your phone is Quad band, you can use your phone all over Europe in addition to most Asian countries.

If I recall correctly most Thai SIM cards charge. 05 per minute to call back to the USA Calls in Thailand are about. 02 per minute. A working phone, especially with internet, is very good to have in Thailand. I program my hotel number into my phone and call the hotel for translation from time to time. Great in an emergency. You will likely uise your phone more than you realize.Thanks for the information. My spare is a Nokia 521, which is a quad band phone. The only trick is to get it unlocked and do a hard reset on it.

Rodwint2
05-05-15, 22:30
Thanks for the information. My spare is a Nokia 521, which is a quad band phone. The only trick is to get it unlocked and do a hard reset on it.Just got off the chat line with TMobile and they gave me the info to reset and unlock the Nokia 521. However, I need a non-TMobile sim card to unlock it. Where can I get a sim card in BKK? It seems like I can get one at the airport or at the 7-11 store, but is it better to go to MBK or the big electronics mall (I forgot its name) to get a sim card?

Member #4611
05-05-15, 22:46
Just got off the chat line with TMobile and they gave me the info to reset and unlock the Nokia 521. However, I need a non-TMobile sim card to unlock it. Where can I get a sim card in BKK? It seems like I can get one at the airport or at the 7-11 store, but is it better to go to MBK or the big electronics mall (I forgot its name) to get a sim card?Like you said 7/11 etc. But there is a shop on the 4th floor Emporium. That can sell you a 1-2-Call SIM and sort out any problems. Friendly and efficient.

FK

Rodwint2
05-06-15, 05:07
Like you said 7/11 etc. But there is a shop on the 4th floor Emporium. That can sell you a 1-2-Call SIM and sort out any problems. Friendly and efficient.

FKThanks. I found out that the three big carriers in Thailand have big kiosks right outside the baggage claim exit at the airport.

Breadman
05-06-15, 08:30
Thanks. I found out that the three big carriers in Thailand have big kiosks right outside the baggage claim exit at the airport.Yes they do and they also have some of the longest wait times of any kiosks you'll find thruout the city. They didn't have any set lines, just 20 people standing around the counter with cell phones out and 5 people behind the counter doing nothing to organize their activity. People coming up behind you might get served ahead of you.

Rodwint2
05-06-15, 09:33
Yes they do and they also have some of the longest wait times of any kiosks you'll find thruout the city. They didn't have any set lines, just 20 people standing around the counter with cell phones out and 5 people behind the counter doing nothing to organize their activity. People coming up behind you might get served ahead of you.Thanks, but if the line is long, I am not going to wait around. After 20 hours on a plane, I won't wait more than 5 minutes.

Allover
05-06-15, 16:46
Thanks, but if the line is long, I am not going to wait around. After 20 hours on a plane, I won't wait more than 5 minutes.Prices are higher at the airport kiosks. I went to the airport 7-11 one or two floors below the kiosks and got a much better deal on a SIM card. 7-11 won't set up the internet on your phone for you. I would still recommend going to Terminal 21, MBK, or even the top floor at the modern mall attached to the skytrain station at the Siam Square BTS stop. You can shop prices from all the main phone companies and they will all set your phone up for the internet and voice.

IllusionHeart
05-12-15, 19:45
Thanks, but if the line is long, I am not going to wait around. After 20 hours on a plane, I won't wait more than 5 minutes.Rodwint, At DMK as you walk towards the Taxi gate there are a few shops on the right who will fix you up with a Internet enabled SIM card immediately. Similarly at Suvarnabhumi once you are outside gate 7 there are shops of all major carriers and they will also set up a Internet enabled sim card in minutes.

There is no need to run around. I had bought my DTAC Sim card from DMK in 5 minutes and now top it up everytime I land at Suvarnabhumi in under 5 minutes.

ActionOriented
05-13-15, 03:10
I had bought my DTAC Sim card from DMK in 5 minutes and now top it up everytime I land at Suvarnabhumi in under 5 minutes.I purchase a DTAC everytime I come into Suvarnabhumi. However, it was my understanding that those cards are generally valid for only 15 days to 30 days. For sim cards which are valid for longer say around 11 months one has to buy it from 7/11 or Family Mart. Am I missing something? Will topping up the DTAC sim (which was purchased from the airport) on the next visit which could be after 3 months or more re-validate the number?

IllusionHeart
05-13-15, 04:14
I purchase a DTAC everytime I come into Suvarnabhumi. However, it was my understanding that those cards are generally valid for only 15 days to 30 days. For sim cards which are valid for longer say around 11 months one has to buy it from 7/11 or Family Mart. Am I missing something? Will topping up the DTAC sim (which was purchased from the airport) on the next visit which could be after 3 months or more re-validate the number?AO. I have never had to register the no or revalidate. I have been using the same no since November now. 4 trips and it still is working. Just reload the 299 baht 7 week 1. 5 gb Internet plan everytime from suvarnabhumi. Last time I had to make some calls to singapore and I had loaded some talk time. Balance still available on card.

I have also not provided any Id proof during purchase or reload either.

I faced issue in jakarta last week when I bought sim from 7/11. I had to go to XL center to activate the 4G Internet plan which requires registration. However I told him I was not carrying Id and requested him to activate for a week which he did. I doubt if that no will be usable on my next visit.

Harry Dude
05-15-15, 07:38
Yes they do and they also have some of the longest wait times of any kiosks you'll find thruout the city. They didn't have any set lines, just 20 people standing around the counter with cell phones out and 5 people behind the counter doing nothing to organize their activity. People coming up behind you might get served ahead of you.I've never waited more than 2-3 minutes at the DTAC counter where I usually refill my SIM. Most of the time there I've been serviced without any delay whatsoever. If there were lines I would've taken my business elsewhere. I am usually there between 6 am and 7 am in the morning, I am not sure what is considered peak traffic hour at these kiosks.

Harry Dude
05-15-15, 07:44
I purchase a DTAC everytime I come into Suvarnabhumi. However, it was my understanding that those cards are generally valid for only 15 days to 30 days. For sim cards which are valid for longer say around 11 months one has to buy it from 7/11 or Family Mart. Am I missing something? Will topping up the DTAC sim (which was purchased from the airport) on the next visit which could be after 3 months or more re-validate the number?DTAC "Happy SIM" (prepaid SIMs) are valid for 1 year after each time you refill. You can refill anywhere - 7-Eleven, DTAC shop, etc.

Jean Sean
06-22-15, 17:42
Arrived at Suvarnabhumi 530 am a few days ago. After luggage and immigration (went straight through both) I went to the stalls where DTAC, AIS + a 3rd provider are located.

DTAC has 7, 15 and 30 days options, it's called "Happy Holiday" LOL, and a few addons concerning bandwidth. I picked the most expensive 30 days product. Baht 1000. It's 3-4 G, I can't remember the bandwith, in reality it's super fast.

There were a little queueing at AIS (6 am), that's why I chose DTAC.

The (hot) girl told me that it's valid for a year's top up in all 7-11's. I believe that every time you top up you renew the one year lease time.

I didn't register anything (she didn't ask for name, passport etc.).

I handed over my old iPhone 5, within one minute the cute girl had the SIM card installed and activated.

I tried the same in Japan recently, got pushed from store to store for a half day's time in central Fukuoka. Finally, a nerdy boy had a SIM card installed and activated in the same iPhone with approx 30 minutes!

Daddy San
06-22-15, 18:17
Arrived at Suvarnabhumi 530 am a few days ago. After luggage and immigration (went straight through both) I went to the stalls where DTAC, AIS + a 3rd provider are located.

DTAC has 7, 15 and 30 days options, it's called "Happy Holiday" LOL, and a few addons concerning bandwidth. I picked the most expensive 30 days product. Baht 1000. It's 3-4 G, I can't remember the bandwith, in reality it's super fast.

There were a little queueing at AIS (6 am), that's why I chose DTAC.

The (hot) girl told me that it's valid for a year's top up in all 7-11's. I believe that every time you top up you renew the one year lease time.

I didn't register anything (she didn't ask for name, passport etc.).

I handed over my old iPhone 5, within one minute the cute girl had the SIM card installed and activated.

I tried the same in Japan recently, got pushed from store to store for a half day's time in central Fukuoka. Finally, a nerdy boy had a SIM card installed and activated in the same iPhone with approx 30 minutes!This is interesting. At the beginning of this year, the word was out, that all prepaid SIM had to be registered, or else be deactivated by the end of June (I may be wrong on the date).

Because several dear ladies have my number, which I have had for many years no, I actually did register, which is easy, though one loses anonymity.

Can anyone please comment on the obligatory registration.

IllusionHeart
06-22-15, 18:26
This is interesting. At the beginning of this year, the word was out, that all prepaid SIM had to be registered, or else be deactivated by the end of June (I may be wrong on the date).

Because several dear ladies have my number, which I have had for many years no, I actually did register, which is easy, though one loses anonymity.

Can anyone please comment on the obligatory registration.My last recharge was in April from DTAC store at suvarnabhumi airport on a sim card bought in November last year. I don't think things have changed yet. Maybe someone on ground can reconfirm.

Mogwai
06-26-15, 04:29
My last recharge was in April from DTAC store at suvarnabhumi airport on a sim card bought in November last year. I don't think things have changed yet. Maybe someone on ground can reconfirm.My last recharge was last week and it's valid until April 16, 2016. No registration required.

Goyave
06-26-15, 09:45
This is interesting. At the beginning of this year, the word was out, that all prepaid SIM had to be registered, or else be deactivated by the end of June (I may be wrong on the date).

Can anyone please comment on the obligatory registration.You're almost correct. Registration must be done before July 31st. At least, that's what is said here: http://tech.thaivisa.com/sim-card-registration-starts-today/3627/.

Gypsie King
07-04-15, 08:24
You're almost correct. Registration must be done before July 31st. At least, that's what is said here: http://tech.thaivisa.com/sim-card-registration-starts-today/3627/.If you go on the dtac website, they clearly say "register your sim card before losing it". You have until kuly 31st according to their website.

GK.

BobkBanner
07-04-15, 18:58
Was on a short *Day visit to Pattaya and had lost my last SIM. Had to present my Passport when getting a new SIM. Registered on the spot in 7/11 near the rear car Park entrance to the Areca Lodge. From what I hears it is register or lose your existing number.

Eric Swiss
07-08-15, 12:05
Was on a short *Day visit to Pattaya and had lost my last SIM. Had to present my Passport when getting a new SIM. Registered on the spot in 7/11 near the rear car Park entrance to the Areca Lodge. From what I hears it is register or lose your existing number.Some shops like Terminal 21 accept to register your phone if you just show a foreign ID, they do not require a passport.

Devinn38
07-27-15, 14:30
Just back from my first trip to Thailand. Having RTFF and been consistently advised that a local phone would be essential I took a trip to Terminal 21. The phone stores are on the 6th floor. I'd advise taking the elevator or else you will have to traverse a series of many escalator lifts. I had brought with me an out-of-service I-phone 4 purchased from Sprint. I'd hoped to be able to install a Sim card and save the expense of purchasing a phone. First stop-an AIS store. Although I'd arrived just after opening, a line had formed. Later that week on Saturday, I passed another AIS store and it was packed. Be prepared as this important task might take a while. I gave my phone to the polite and attentive young woman who assisted me and asked for a local Sim. After inspecting the phone and attempting to remove the back cover she told me that the phone could not be opened. I accepted that answer and inquired about the cost of new phone. After being quoted about 2000 Baht (based on memory as I cannot locate the receipt) I thanked her for the quote but thought I'd check with the two other phone stores that were nearby before committing to the expense. Both of the other stores confirmed that my I-phone could not be opened. I purchased the AIS phone. A few thoughts:

1) if you need to purchase a phone, invest in a decent one. You will depend on it for a multitude of uses.

2) the camera on my new phone was greatly inferior to any I-phone I've used. Worth noting as carrying two phones or a phone and a camera isn't ideal. The girls are quite willing to have you take their picture and I'm glad that I asked for them. Nice memories.

3) The new phone took a long time to charge. It also wore down pretty quickly. This really is important as you will need that phone at all times. Stay prepared.

4) I had the store install WhatsApp. WeChat and Line. All are good to have. I'm not a facebook user but quickly found out that Line is used by all the girls. They will readily share their ID with you. I posted several pictures and created a nice, simple profile. That helped me throughout my trip. I was able to meet several "normal" Thai girls and enjoy their company and conversation over lunch and cocktails. I think the Line profile helped in making that happen.

5) Be sure you know how to use the new phone. That sounds pretty basic but it wasn't. For the life of me I could not figure out how to answer an incoming call. I'd suggest sitting down somewhere nearby the store and taking your new phone for a test drive before leaving. Going back to the mall and waiting in line to figure out basic cellphone functions isn't why you flew half way around the world.

6) Probably the most important thing I learned was that although I'd purchased a brand new phone, somehow my wish to also have service for the phone was not communicated to the salesperson. I couldn't figure out why I wasn't able to send texts or make calls. My assumption was that I had a working phone with data and minutes. I was able to receive messages from WhatsApp and access / post to Line because I was connected to wi-fi. Ultimately I discovered that I didn't have a plan in place but that was pretty easily solved with a quick trip to a 7-11 where they got me set up. Having just written that, I now am not entirely sure if that just exactly what did take place but my advice is to be sure that you have both a phone and a working, paid up data / minutes plan in place before departing.

8) at the end of the day my advice would be to bring with you a phone that you are already comfortable with and has a good camera. Be sure it can be opened and have a local Sim installed. You will depend on the phone and being comfortable with it will be a big help.

Many thanks to those who provided me with such useful information.

Allover
07-28-15, 06:29
Just back from my first trip to Thailand. Devinn38, did you have to register your phone or SIM? We are reading about new requirements to register phones. I'm curious if this was an inconvenient process?

I also want to add that phones from T-Mobile and ATT are the best phones to unlock and use abroad. Many Sprint and Verizon phones won't work on Thailand's GSM systems. There are some exceptions with new, high end phones.

Uncle Volodya
07-28-15, 06:45
Hi guys! I just get the unlimited internet packages. That's all I really use as I mostly stay in touch with my girls by Line, Wechat, Viber, etc. I think the tourist packages they have at the airport, right when you get out of customs, are pretty good value.

OsakaGin11
07-28-15, 10:54
I know its not quite a cell telephone request, but I was wondering if any of you mongering brethren can offer me some pertinent advice as to where is currently the best shop or shopping mall that offers the best range of choice to buy a computer tablet in either BKK or Pattaya?

Thanks in advance.

GDreams
07-28-15, 11:46
I know its not quite a cell telephone request, but I was wondering if any of you mongering brethren can offer me some pertinent advice as to where is currently the best shop or shopping mall that offers the best range of choice to buy a computer tablet in either BKK or Pattaya?

Thanks in advance.In Bangkok there is a building full of electronics dealers about 200 m along from the Platinum centre. Also can try MBK but it tends to be more phone centric.

KiJang
07-28-15, 11:58
The AIS 12 Call tourist sim is quite popular among short term visitors. Currently it gives 1. 5 gb of data for 1 week along with some call time. After one week is up you can buy a 300 baht top up and activate another 1. 5 gb for one more week for 270 baht by following the instructions in the included leaflet which is quite detailed and presented in many languages. The price of a new SIM package is 299 Baht in 7 Eleven and other stores.

At Ambassador hotel Am Plaza on Soi 11 you will find a small shop selling calling cards etc. It is run by a Sr Lankan scam artist and his girlfriend (who is there to lure you in). This piece of scum will cut off the corner of the AIS pack which says 299 baht and will sell it to unsuspecting customers for 400 baht. I am sure he has many other scams going on which I am not aware of. This is just for your info and please do not take your custom to this shop.

Devinn38
07-28-15, 12:10
Devinn38, did you have to register your phone or SIM? We are reading about new requirements to register phones. I'm curious if this was an inconvenient process?

I also want to add that phones from T-Mobile and ATT are the best phones to unlock and use abroad. Many Sprint and Verizon phones won't work on Thailand's GSM systems. There are some exceptions with new, high end phones.To the best of my knowledge, I did not have to register the new phone. However, the transaction to purchase the phone and get it set up was one of the few experiences I had where language barriers presented challenges. The young lady who assisted me was great and she had almost no English. So for all I know and can recall, I did not register the phone. I may have been asked to show my passport. I cannot recall. If that were the case I'd have simply supposed that was part of the somewhat detailed purchase. I paid with cash.

Devinn38
07-28-15, 12:18
Hi guys! I just get the unlimited internet packages. That's all I really use as I mostly stay in touch with my girls by Line, Wechat, Viber, etc. I think the tourist packages they have at the airport, right when you get out of customs, are pretty good value.That makes a lot of sense. I'd agree that 99% of the time the internet apps. Would be just fine. I would add however that one evening my taxi driver was having a very difficult time locating a restaurant. Despite his reluctance to admit defeat and get directions from the establishment, I called and pretty much made the driver talk to the manager in order to find the place. A memorable evening would likely have been missed without having cell service. FYI.

Uncle Volodya
07-28-15, 17:00

Thanks in advance.Took.com is good. I've bought electronics there before and no problem. Mostly small vendors and prices are competitive. If you are worried about fakes there is also a big chain store up in the top floor.

BionicMan
07-28-15, 18:24
To the best of my knowledge, I did not have to register the new phone. However, the transaction to purchase the phone and get it set up was one of the few experiences I had where language barriers presented challenges. The young lady who assisted me was great and she had almost no English. So for all I know and can recall, I did not register the phone. I may have been asked to show my passport. I cannot recall. If that were the case I'd have simply supposed that was part of the somewhat detailed purchase. I paid with cash.All Thai SIM cards that have not been registered yet will soon be disconnected, unless registered.

Had mine done by a friend under his name as I am not in LOS.

Registration mainly means copy of the passport. This is normal practice in many countries and Thailand comes amongst the last ones to make this procedure compulsory.

I am just curious how this will be handled at 7-11 or Family marts, where you buy SIM cards along with condoms, a drink, a juice and a snack. Not the ideal "office counter" to deal with paper works, copying machines, etc.

Robert Long
07-28-15, 18:41
Took.com is good. I've bought electronics there before and no problem. Mostly small vendors and prices are competitive. If you are worried about fakes there is also a big chain store up in the top floor.I have always thought that MBK 4th Floor has the best selection. You can negotiate with most. Be sure to get the VAT paperwork and get your tax back at the airport.

RL.

OsakaGin11
07-29-15, 02:40
Took.com is good. I've bought electronics there before and no problem. Mostly small vendors and prices are competitive. If you are worried about fakes there is also a big chain store up in the top floor.Thanks for that Uncle V. Can I ask where exactly is Took.com . BKK or Pattaya and an address please?

Duniawala
07-29-15, 06:05

Thanks in advance.Pantip Plaza in BKK. Any cabbie can take you there.

Uncle Volodya
07-29-15, 11:48
Thanks for that Uncle V. Can I ask where exactly is Took.com . BKK or Pattaya and an address please?Sorry it's actually tuk com.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zOfttoiV6kQM.k8YOPjgmvfsc&hl=en_US

5 (I think) level of electronic dealers. The big retail shop is on the top floor.

Hoosdathu
08-03-15, 16:25
All Thai SIM cards that have not been registered yet will soon be disconnected, unless registered.

Had mine done by a friend under his name as I am not in LOS.

Registration mainly means copy of the passport. This is normal practice in many countries and Thailand comes amongst the last ones to make this procedure compulsory.

I am just curious how this will be handled at 7-11 or Family marts, where you buy SIM cards along with condoms, a drink, a juice and a snack. Not the ideal "office counter" to deal with paper works, copying machines, etc.Just read that the deadline's been extended to end of August 2015 instead.

PpSeeker
08-20-15, 07:09
Hey guys,

I have roaming, should I use my phone? Or is it recommended to get a local number. If you want to contact locals? Will they text your international number?

Or not worth the risk of putting your number out there?

PPS

Traveler1234
08-20-15, 14:55
Hey guys,

I have roaming, should I use my phone? Or is it recommended to get a local number. If you want to contact locals? Will they text your international number?

PPSWhen you exit airport, near Doors 7-9, there are many kiosks selling prepaid accounts that include voice / text / data, reasonably price and good service. Get TrueMov. Note all prepaids must now register with their passport but pro forma check.

Christian G
08-20-15, 19:26
Hey guys,

PPSIs better you buy a local sim card, or you can contact them by Line or Whatsapp using wifi in your hotel.

Strikesfun
08-20-15, 19:42
Two questions:

1. Any noise on sim card extension past 31 August.

2. Can you register sim card at airport arrival gates 6-7.

Breadman
08-21-15, 00:09
Hey guys,

PPSLINE chat (or wechat) is the way to go, if you have roaming the girls don't need to know your number. Just make sure you register by your email address and not a cell number. There's several ways to friend the girl without giving out your number or needing to text the girl. First thing though is the girl has to have her phone on her, might be hard if its a gogo girl and she's half naked. In the upper corner of LINE there's a man symbol with a plus next to it, hit that and you'll see several options of adding a favorite. Shaking both phone's is one way, another is scanning the qr code from either her phone or yours. Another way is email invitation. If none of these work, just add her phone number to your contacts and hit the LINE refresh symbol which will go thru your contacts and hopefully found her LINE ID.

I used a Thai sim card last trip, registered via my email address and was able to add LINE to my regular cell and keep all of my contacts. But a warning, if you have people that you work with in your contacts, don't make up some fake name because LINE will message them with your ID asking if they would like to add you to their friends.

Traveler1234
08-21-15, 12:02
Two questions:

1. Any noise on sim card extension past 31 August.
After recent bombing, no more extensions. If not registered, just won't work.

Strikesfun
09-03-15, 14:55
Returning to Bangkok this weekend missed the registration period do I buy a new sim card and register?

Tptp76
09-03-15, 15:48
I am looking to buy a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge when I am in BKK next week. Would greatly appreciate advice on what would be the best pace to buy it. I want to make sure its original and comes with an international warranty.

Thanks a lot!

Member #4591
09-03-15, 16:33
I am looking to buy a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge when I am in BKK next week. Would greatly appreciate advice on what would be the best pace to buy it. I want to make sure its original and comes with an international warranty.

Thanks a lot!I'm going to go out on a lim here but how about the Samsung shop. There are many in Bangkok but Central Rama 9 in the basement right outside the MRT entrance is one shop. Secondly you can buy it at any AIS, DTAC, or True shop. No need to buy a Sim from them. You can use the one you already have whether it is true or not.

LA Guy 5
09-03-15, 18:09
Returning to Bangkok this weekend missed the registration period do I buy a new sim card and register?I registered my SIM maybe two weeks ago. The SIM card had been "suspended" according to the phone message I received when I tried to dial, and so I just went to an AIS (sp?) shop, actually the one inside the Sala Daeng Skytrain station, gave them the SIM and my passport, and they registered it. No problem using the SIM card after that.

I don't know whether there is a cutoff after which it will be impossible to register an unregistered SIM, but as best as I can tell right not the only problem is an unregistered SIM will be suspended, not terminated.

But this is just what I surmise from my own recent experience.

Edit: I now see though from other posts here that August 31 may have been the cut-off after which an unregistered SIM is indeed terminated. It might be worth asking one of the AIS shops though about this. If they cannot register it, they would be able to sell and set up a new one; just bring your passport.

Mumbai Guy
09-03-15, 18:31
MBK shopping center is the place where you can get most electronic goods including mobiles. The fourth floor is dedicated to mobiles and DVDs etc. But I find the prices too steep compared to other asian markets like Singapore.

I wouldn't buy a mobile in Bangkok.

Thanks a lot!

Raju 1974
09-03-15, 19:21
When you exit airport, near Doors 7-9, there are many kiosks selling prepaid accounts that include voice / text / data, reasonably price and good service. Get TrueMov. Note all prepaids must now register with their passport but pro forma check.Are these shops in the airport open 24 hrs. A day or during night hours since I am reaching Bkk at1 AM and will require a local sim immediately for making arrangements for the first night.

Tptp76
09-03-15, 23:04
I'm going to go out on a lim here but how about the Samsung shop. There are many in Bangkok but Central Rama 9 in the basement right outside the MRT entrance is one shop. Secondly you can buy it at any AIS, DTAC, or True shop. No need to buy a Sim from them. You can use the one you already have whether it is true or not.Thanks Bkkdog. I clearly didn't ask the right question. I was looking for places one could buy it cheaper but still legitimate. Where I live, there are websites where I could buy the phone significantly cheaper than in a Samsung shop, but it is legit and comes with the warranty.

Are there any such resources in Thailand? Maybe shops or stores online?

Thanks.

Member #4591
09-04-15, 14:23
Thanks Bkkdog. I clearly didn't ask the right question. I was looking for places one could buy it cheaper but still legitimate. Where I live, there are websites where I could buy the phone significantly cheaper than in a Samsung shop, but it is legit and comes with the warranty.

Are there any such resources in Thailand? Maybe shops or stores online?

Thanks.In most central shopping malls, MBK or any other IT mall there are phone markets. Each shop can offer you a discount on their phones over and above what you can get in the brand shop. However the warranty will have started when the shop purchased, not when you purchased it from the shop. Try and find one the shop has purchased recently and before paying check the serial number with Samsung's web site or call them and get them to do a check for you. I'm not sure why you think Bangkok is a place you can get discounted brand name products? You actually pay more here for the real brands than in your own country. And sure the websites you refer to do exist but you will only get the balance of factory warranty left and can never be sure if it is a refurbished model or not that was rebuilt in China and then shipped over to your country. Spend the extra 3,000 Baht and get the legitimate one is the safe bet. The rebuilt cell phone market is huge in China and they ship them all over the world where shops and websites pass them off as new phones.

BionicMan
09-04-15, 18:10
In most central shopping malls, MBK or any other IT mall there are phone markets.
The rebuilt cell phone market is huge in China and they ship them all over the world where shops and websites pass them off as new phones.MBK is perfect to buy pre-owned phones and tablets.

I bought 3 iPads and 2 iPhone there and not a single problem.

The brand new item are not that super priced, especially for Apple products, but worth a check as they might cut their margins (and wholesale martins, since these sales will help resching higher quota).

PogoStick
09-04-15, 19:46
MBK is perfect to buy pre-owned phones and tablets.

I bought 3 iPads and 2 iPhone there and not a single problem.

The brand new item are not that super priced, especially for Apple products, but worth a check as they might cut their margins (and wholesale martins, since these sales will help resching higher quota).Do these shops take trade-ins? I have an old Blackberry curve that I would like to trade in on a cheap newer phone for online chats and stuff.

BionicMan
09-05-15, 10:29
Do these shops take trade-ins? I have an old Blackberry curve that I would like to trade in on a cheap newer phone for online chats and stuff.You can negotiate but I fear they want to make cash to pay bills. L I think the pre-owned stuff comes from other shops doing trade in's when selling the new products. Best is on the aftermath of significant middle change or arrival. Like iPhone 6. Lots of people wanted the 6 but didn't have enough money so they traded paying part of it with the 5. Then the 5 goes on the pre-owned market.

Banana Boi
10-07-15, 23:44
Any of the malls will sell unlocked phones but are they worth the price if you can buy them unlocked via ebay? But there is a risk of them not working, you just never know.

ID suggest you show up, look for a place selling cell phones (term 21 etc) and find a place that sells both phones and sims. Just make sure it works, not just for phone and text but for internet. Have them install LINE, Wechat and Skout. Girls use these so they don't have to pay for texts and calls. If it doesn't work, walk away.Has anyone tried bringing their unlocked BLU Studio android phone to Thailand? Just wondering if there are any compatibility issues. I like this phone since it can hold 2 SIM cards at once, one for work and one for hobbying.

LA Guy 5
10-08-15, 00:02
Has anyone tried bringing their unlocked BLU Studio android phone to Thailand? Just wondering if there are any compatibility issues. I like this phone since it can hold 2 SIM cards at once, one for work and one for hobbying.I used an unlocked Blu Advance 4.0 in Bangkok without any problems. It too holds 2 SIM cards. The one thing to be careful about is that the correct SIM is selected before using it, otherwise if the other SIM card has roaming and is based elsewhere you may end up with significant roaming charges (it didn't happen to me, but I did come close only noticing the wrong card was active just before making a call).

Randy Murican
10-08-15, 01:00
I used an unlocked Blu Advance 4.0 in Bangkok without any problems. It too holds 2 SIM cards. The one thing to be careful about is that the correct SIM is selected before using it, otherwise if the other SIM card has roaming and is based elsewhere you may end up with significant roaming charges (it didn't happen to me, but I did come close only noticing the wrong card was active just before making a call).No problem with using my BLU Studio 5. 0 HD in Thailand. It's a great entry level smartphone but with only 1 GB RAM and 4 GB of memory, it's limited in the number of apps it can comfortably have and update. While it does have an SD slot that accepts up to 64 GB only some apps can be migrated to use that memory. Also, only one sim slot is suitable for MMS / Data the other is for phone and basic texting so be sure to have your card in the right slot. At the price point I got it at, I have no worries carrying it around in the bars or at the beach so I'm using it only as a monger phone now. I've upgraded to an ASUS ZenPhone 2 with 4 GB RAM and 64 GB of internal storage for everyday use. Both purchased in the USA. The same SIM card arrangement with one fully functional, the other for phone / txt only. As long as you have an unlocked quad band phone it should work fine.

Syzygies
10-08-15, 03:35
I use Galaxy 5 Duo (2 SIMs) with no problems. One SIM can be the Monger SIM. Can have different settings to be silent ring etc. Be careful to ring GF from correct number. Settings for that too. Password protect things like LINE account, naughty pics, etc. Can't survive without Google Maps.

Banana Boi
10-08-15, 22:26
As long as you have an unlocked quad band phone it should work fine.When I look at the specs it says this for bands. I have no idea what this means. Is this a quad band phone?

Supported 2 G Modes / Bands (EDGE; GSM / GPRS) MHz:850; 900; 1800; 1900.

Supported 3 G Modes / Bands (HSPA+; UMTS / WCDMA) MHz:850; 1700; 1900.

Other Supported Modes / Bands None.

Randy Murican
10-09-15, 00:51
When I look at the specs it says this for bands. I have no idea what this means. Is this a quad band phone?

Supported 2 G Modes / Bands (EDGE; GSM / GPRS) MHz:850; 900; 1800; 1900.

Supported 3 G Modes / Bands (HSPA+; UMTS / WCDMA) MHz:850; 1700; 1900.

Other Supported Modes / Bands None.Yes it is a quad band phone (actually 5 band: 850,900, 1800,1900, + 1700) and able to be used in the USA as well as Asia.

Thailand uses Bands 900 and 1800 for 2 G. You should be good to go with both slots for basic phone stuff.

Thailand uses 850 for 3 G but I believe it is only True Move and CAT that uses this band so if you want 3 G speeds you should buy your SIM card from them.

You can see the information yourself at http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html.

As I mentioned previously, generally only one slot will be capable to have phone / data / mms, the other for phone / sms only.

Banana Boi
10-09-15, 13:15
Thanks for explaining that, Josh.

I found a different BLU phone with 3 G coverage 850/1700/1900 or 850/1900/2100. Needed 2100 for Germany so opted for that one instead.

Thanks again.

These are the 3G Thailand bands for easy reference
3G 850 CAT Telecom; 3G 2100 Real Future; 3G 2100 TOT Mobile; 3G 850/2100 True Move; 3G 2100 DTAC TriNet- Planned; 3G 2100 AIS- Planned and 4G
4G LTE True Move 2100Mhz; 4G LTE DTAC TriNet 2100Mhz; ; AIS + TOT 4G Trail

Lord Farquard
12-30-15, 08:04
Anyone shopping at MBK, I need to know if there is someone that can clone a "prepaid" sim card. DTAC sez they will only clone the "monthly" charged phone #'s.

Thanks.

Lucky Nuts
12-30-16, 14:50
I'll be arriving next week and need to get a SIM card. Probably at Terminal 21 since near my hotel. Which carrier offers the cheapest calls back to the states? Thanks.

Geano
12-30-16, 16:32
Thanks for explaining that, Josh.

I found a different BLU phone with 3 G coverage 850/1700/1900 or 850/1900/2100. Needed 2100 for Germany so opted for that one instead.

Thanks again.

These are the 3G Thailand bands for easy reference and 4GAnyone know if most hotels have US style recepticals / voltage in the rooms or will I need an transformer and plug adapter? Also if I'm in Thailand for ten days I was thinking of adding data and calls from my US service or should I bring a old phone and get a sim for it? Its a Verizon Samsung 4's.

Thanks Geano.

OlderMan4U
12-31-16, 04:03
I may be wrong, but I believe most USA Electronics these days are compatible with both 120 v and 240 v, so no need for a transformer. Some hotel / room outlets may only be two pronged however, depending on how old the hotel is. You can buy a three hole to two hole adapter anywhere in Family Mart or 7/11 if that's the case.

As for phones, I always bring my USA Phone (Droid Razor the past few years) and buy a dtac happy tourist sim card that you can replace your USA Sim card. Free 7 days of unlimited internet at 4 G speeds and 100 baht phone calls. Any 7-11 should have them, but you will need to show them your passport and also they'll start up the connection for you. When you go back home, simply put back your US sim card in.

Allover
01-01-17, 09:34
VegasCrazyGuy, going to Terminal 21 for a SIM card is a great idea. All of the Thai phone companies have offices up there right next to each other. It's easy to check all of them out. They each have their own promotions which means you should shop around for a SIM. Each company offers multiple SIMs so pick the best for you. Definitely have them install the SIM and have them set up calling and the internet. They do it for free. Last year I paid about 300 baht for a SIM valid for three weeks with 1 GB of high speed internet and a few free minutes of local calling. Local calls were 1 baht per minute. I believe calls to the US were 5 baht per minute. Factors to consider when picking a provider for me include:

1) how long the SIM is valid for (get one that will work for your entire stay in Thailand).

2) the cost of local calls and calls back to the USA.

3) amount of internet GBs you get with the plan. Hopefully you are bringing a smart phone. Google Maps is great in Thailand.

Some other miscellaneous info. You need to bring an unlocked phone. I usually use AIS's 1-2-Call SIM and like it. You can direct dial calls or dial a few extra digits to get an even lower rate for calls to the USA You won't need a transformer but you need to make sure your phone charger will plug into the wall outlet. If you stay in modern hotels you won't need an adaptor to plug your phone into the wall outlet. Adaptors for this are easy to find in Thailand. Best Buy and most hardware stores sell them in the USA.

WindAngel
01-01-17, 10:07
I'll be arriving next week and need to get a SIM card. Probably at Terminal 21 since near my hotel. Which carrier offers the cheapest calls back to the states? Thanks.You can buy it at the airport. It is the same price as Terminal 21.

RacShack
01-01-17, 13:30
VegasCrazyGuy, going to Terminal 21 for a SIM card is a great idea. All of the Thai phone companies have offices up there right next to each other. It's easy to check all of them out. They each have their own promotions which means you should shop around for a SIM. Each company offers multiple SIMs so pick the best for you. Definitely have them install the SIM and have them set up calling and the internet. They do it for free. Last year I paid about 300 baht for a SIM valid for three weeks with 1 GB of high speed internet and a few free minutes of local calling. Local calls were 1 baht per minute. I believe calls to the US were 5 baht per minute. Factors to consider when picking a provider for me include:

1) how long the SIM is valid for (get one that will work for your entire stay in Thailand).

3) amount of internet GBs you get with the plan. Hopefully you are bringing a smart phone. Google Maps is great in Thailand.

Some other miscellaneous info. You need to bring an unlocked phone. I usually use AIS's 1-2-Call SIM and like it. You can direct dial calls or dial a few extra digits to get an even lower rate for calls to the USA You won't need a transformer but you need to make sure your phone charger will plug into the wall outlet. If you stay in modern hotels you won't need an adaptor to plug your phone into the wall outlet. Adaptors for this are easy to find in Thailand. Best Buy and most hardware stores sell them in the USA.When landed I got ais 1 2 see traveler sim 2 days ago, 4. 5 gig 30 days 549 baht, hope this helps, was in and out of line in less then 10 min, and so far excellent service, the concierge at hotel just told me this is the best service in Thailand, happy New Years.

Lucky Nuts
01-08-17, 04:50
I'll be arriving next week and need to get a SIM card. Probably at Terminal 21 since near my hotel. Which carrier offers the cheapest calls back to the states? Thanks.Thanks for the info provided guys. But just thought I'd answer my earlier question on calls back to the US. I checked with both TrueMove and DTAC and both companies offer international calling for 2. 5 baht per minute. To call the USA just enter 006 before the 1- (area code). Calls within Thailand are 1. 5 baht per minute.

XXL
10-10-17, 06:33
I'm worried about this because I've activated the SMS notification service on my Bangkok Bank account and I need this to monitor my account from outside Thailand.

Apparently "traveller" is PC for "foreigner". The sims have a tracking function so that foreigners can be tracked. Otherwise I assume they work like any other AIS prepaid card. My number is a 08XX.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2016/08/09/plan-track-foreigners-not-just-tourists-sim-cards-moves-forward/

Syzygies
10-10-17, 07:12
In the modern day, cost of local and OS calls is not such a big issue, for some of us. We simply do not make a lot of local or OS calls. Maybe the odd one.

Instead we contact people via web based applications: Skype, Viber, Whatsapp, LINE, etc. Some of these can connect to local phone numbers in destination country for a reasonable charge. Quality of call can be slightly impeded, however sometimes quality of internet connected calls is actually better. Depends on how good is your internet connection (so that becomes the most important selection criterion).

Allover
10-10-17, 21:48
In the modern day, cost of local and OS calls is not such a big issue, for some of us. We simply do not make a lot of local or OS calls. Maybe the odd one.

Instead we contact people via web based applications: Skype, Viber, Whatsapp, LINE, etc. Some of these can connect to local phone numbers in destination country for a reasonable charge. Quality of call can be slightly impeded, however sometimes quality of internet connected calls is actually better. Depends on how good is your internet connection (so that becomes the most important selection criterion).

You are correct abut the use of apps. Unfortunately some of the people I contact in the USA while I am in Thailand doesn't use apps. For them I dial direct. Most of the people I know use either Viber or Kakao which worked fine provided I had a strong wifi or internet signal as you mentioned.

In September my AIS 1-2 call plan charged 1 baht for calls made to a Thai number and 2. 5 or 3. 2 (I forget exactly) baht per minute back to USA. AIS long distance to U.S. was cheaper when I dialed 003 before the number.
I actually called my hotel to give directions to a taxi and to translate in another instance. The SIM cost B499 and it came with 2 GB of data for 30 days. I really enjoy having a local Thai number.

Kerrstar
10-11-17, 04:18
The sims have a tracking function so that foreigners can be tracked. Otherwise I assume they work like any other AIS prepaid card. My number is a 08XX. I doubt they have thought this through very much. Just think about how many foreigners live in Thailand and how many tourists get SIM cards when they arrive. Plus all those SIM cards that tourists jst take out of their phone once they leave will still be on the system for a few months. Do thy really have the manpower to track anyone who they do't think has commited a crime?

What about foreigners who use a cheap phone for when they travel that isn't GPS enabled and probably doesn't have the software / hardware to enable SIM tracking. They could obviously track via cell tower locations but this is time consuming and not accurate.

Dena0
09-10-18, 07:39
LINE chat (or wechat) is the way to go, if you have roaming the girls don't need to know your number. Just make sure you register by your email address and not a cell number. There's several ways to friend the girl without giving out your number or needing to text the girl. First thing though is the girl has to have her phone on her, might be hard if its a gogo girl and she's half naked. In the upper corner of LINE there's a man symbol with a plus next to it, hit that and you'll see several options of adding a favorite. Shaking both phone's is one way, another is scanning the qr code from either her phone or yours. Another way is email invitation. If none of these work, just add her phone number to your contacts and hit the LINE refresh symbol which will go thru your contacts and hopefully found her LINE ID.

I used a Thai sim card last trip, registered via my email address and was able to add LINE to my regular cell and keep all of my contacts. But a warning, if you have people that you work with in your contacts, don't make up some fake name because LINE will message them with your ID asking if they would like to add you to their friends.Very useful info, thanks.

Rob Jones
09-10-18, 09:17
Very useful info, thanks.Very true about Line. It doesn't matter if you change your ID because contacts from previous names will know. I use Line solely for my hobby and WhatsApp for family and friends and I never falter from this stance.

Nounce
09-10-18, 09:19
A few months ago the AIS sim card I have been using for a few years was disabled. I went to AIS store and they wanted me to register with my passport to activate it again. I left without registering.

Syzygies
09-10-18, 10:19
A few months ago the AIS sim card I have been using for a few years was disabled. I went to AIS store and they wanted me to register with my passport to activate it again. I left without registering.Up to you, it is easier just to register unless you are a terrorist using phone to activate bombs. What is your problem? You must be involved in something highly illegal other than pursuing girls for sex, if you are so concerned. The law is created for a reason, however probably easily circumvented.

I like to have a phone / SIM just for mongering but still can be registered.

Syzygies
09-10-18, 10:31
Very true about Line. It doesn't matter if you change your ID because contacts from previous names will know. I use Line solely for my hobby and WhatsApp for family and friends and I never falter from this stance.I don't quite see what point you are making. Contacts from previous. Will know what exactly? Suppose my LINE ID does not include my surname and is just a nickname. What is the problem?

Rob Jones
09-10-18, 11:29
I don't quite see what point you are making. Contacts from previous. Will know what exactly? Suppose my LINE ID does not include my surname and is just a nickname. What is the problem?If you keep the same phone number I think. It has happened to me.

Hotman 666
09-10-18, 12:13
A few months ago the AIS sim card I have been using for a few years was disabled. I went to AIS store and they wanted me to register with my passport to activate it again. I left without registering.Although you now need to show a passport at most places to buy a SIM card some hotels are giving away FREE DTAC SIM cards with no request for your ID details.

Got one myself when I arrived and it works a treat.

Sometimes I just do not understand Thailand.

Enjoy,

Hotman.

Nounce
09-10-18, 17:56
What is your problem?The main reason is because I have been using this sim without paying anything for at least the last couple of years. I did not do anything and it just kept on working. I may still activate it just to see what will happen. The other reasons are I have another AIS sim card, and T-Mobile from USA so I don't really need it any more.

Syzygies
09-11-18, 06:40
If you keep the same phone number I think. It has happened to me.What happened? Do you mean you moved your LINE account to a new phone (same Id) and same phone number? Normally people want their contacts to be able to reach you, despite changing phones.

If they don't know your phone number and you don't want them any more, you can block them.

Maybe I still fail to see exactly what is your point.

Plenty of times I found a contact stopped using a phone number and someone else took it over. So I found the new unknown person on my contacts (via having the phone number in my contacts list). So simply block them and they go away. Blocked contacts can be subsequently deleted.

Nounce
09-11-18, 06:56
Don't give LINE permission to access your contact after you install it if you want privacy. That is how it finds your contacts.

Banana Boi
09-11-18, 07:08
Although you now need to show a passport at most places to buy a SIM card some hotels are giving away FREE DTAC SIM cards with no request for your ID details.

Got one myself when I arrived and it works a treat.

Sometimes I just do not understand Thailand.
Wouldn't the hotel have your passport when you checked in equating to you giving your passport when you get your own SIM card?

Rob Jones
09-11-18, 07:54
What happened? Do you mean you moved your LINE account to a new phone (same Id) and same phone number? Normally people want their contacts to be able to reach you, despite changing phones.

If they don't know your phone number and you don't want them any more, you can block them.

Maybe I still fail to see exactly what is your point.

Plenty of times I found a contact stopped using a phone number and someone else took it over. So I found the new unknown person on my contacts (via having the phone number in my contacts list). So simply block them and they go away. Blocked contacts can be subsequently deleted.It was more a year ago. So same phone and number but I changed my ID. 1 contact I had blocked from Indonesia somehow sent me a message and it was the ID she was using when I blocked her. It may have been on an old phone that I blocked her. I don't understand how it happened but it happened and that's enough for me to be hyper vigilant.

Hotman 666
09-11-18, 12:35
Wouldn't the hotel have your passport when you checked in equating to you giving your passport when you get your own SIM card?

Hi B.B.

They actually gave me a few cards to pass on to friends and did not note any numbers (Or seem to bother vary much!

As far as I can see just another example of left hand not knowing, or caring what right hand is doing in Thailand!

Hotman (enjoying Pattaya.).

Nounce
09-11-18, 17:03
It was more a year ago. So same phone and number but I changed my ID. 1 contact I had blocked from Indonesia somehow sent me a message and it was the ID she was using when I blocked her. It may have been on an old phone that I blocked her. I don't understand how it happened but it happened and that's enough for me to be hyper vigilant.It is possible that she changed her phone and in the process giving LINE access to her contact list which may have trigger the message.

Rob Jones
09-11-18, 22:30
It is possible that she changed her phone and in the process giving LINE access to her contact list which may have trigger the message.You may be correct with that because she was in a different country so a different SIM. I still think it is a good idea if you are in a relationship to use a platform that your family and friends don't use.

Syzygies
09-12-18, 06:39
Don't give LINE permission to access your contact after you install it if you want privacy. That is how it finds your contacts.Yes good advice, or make sure erase all unwanted contacts, call history, message history etc., beforehand.

XXL
09-17-18, 12:58
I registered with my Thai bank to receive an SMS each Monday about my account balance. It worked for months even when I was outside Thailand, then suddenly it stopped working. I had someone in Thailand send me a text message and it didn't get through.

I called the AIS call center and they told me to enable "mobile data" while abroad. I did as told and the text messages came through again.

This is puzzling because mobile data while abroad is a recipe to have your phone credit wiped out in a matter of minutes. Plus, I am sure text messages had come through for months with mobile data disabled.

I've also asked my bank to send me account updates by e-mail. Don't trust SMSs any more.

Rob Jones
09-17-18, 22:25
Yes good advice, or make sure erase all unwanted contacts, call history, message history etc., beforehand.I always do that at the airport on the way home.

Banana Boi
09-17-18, 23:49
For those who don't know AIS has a good value data roaming card called Sim2 Fly. It is unlimited internet for 8 days for 399 baht for Asia and 799 baht for 15 days for the rest of the world including Europe and North America. Great option for guys who come to Thailand and want to hop to Indonesia Phillipines Japan Singapore Korea etc.

Top up after 8 days while abroad didn't work for me so I got a gogo girl in Thailand to top up for me. Because of this I recommend you keep a bit of extra money in your ais account if you are traveling longer than 8 days. Extra money also allows you to make phone calls I believe.

I know some countries like Cambodia have cheaper Sim cards but this saves you from having to buy a new Sim card in each country and data is unlimited. Speed depends on which provider AIS is partnered with in each country. My internet was fast.

No AIS account needed. Just go to AIS office and show your passport for the Sim.

Syzygies
09-18-18, 08:12
For those who don't know AIS has a good value data roaming card called Sim2 Fly. It is unlimited internet for 8 days for 399 baht for Asia and 799 baht for 15 days for the rest of the world including Europe and North America. Great option for guys who come to Thailand and want to hop to Indonesia Phillipines Japan Singapore Korea etc.

Top up after 8 days while abroad didn't work for me so I got a gogo girl in Thailand to top up for me. Because of this I recommend you keep a bit of extra money in your ais account if you are traveling longer than 8 days. Extra money also allows you to make phone calls I believe.

I know some countries like Cambodia have cheaper Sim cards but this saves you from having to buy a new Sim card in each country and data is unlimited. Speed depends on which provider AIS is partnered with in each country. My internet was fast.

No AIS account needed. Just go to AIS office and show your passport for the Sim.Sounds very worthwhile to avoid having to get another SIM in Cambodia for short trip. I just took a similar package on my existing AIS SIM card (in my case 7 days not totally top speed and not top price), because not sure how long will be here, and have long periods of mostly using only wifi internet. There are lots of different package options.

I have a Thai bank account and can do internet transfers while OS too. Can probably use to top up my phone. Certainly can do immediate xfers to other thai bank accounts. Flexibility is key.

Well worth having a monger phone and monger SIM with a phone number that your normal contacts don't know about. Don't let the GF ever see the monger phone. So should be small and well hidden and switched off or totally silent. I guess that makes charging it a little difficult however use a small portable power bank pre-charged, rather than charge from power point.

Not good idea to have incriminating stuff in your normal phone. Try to look squeaky clean if you are not. LOL Make it so that investigating your phone finds nothing much. The Mrs. Can easily grab your phone when you have just been using and try to look at messages, photos, etc.

Banana Boi
09-18-18, 09:55
I have a Thai bank account and can do internet transfers while OS too. Can probably use to top up my phone. Certainly can do immediate xfers to other thai bank accounts. Flexibility is key.I have a Thai bank account too. It didn't work.

Dena0
09-18-18, 11:45
Has anybody posted a noob guide to LineId for ISGers? . Or somebody experienced with it willing to create one?

Can the LineId remain the same, despite changing SIM cards?

When does one link the LineId to an email address?

Rob Jones
09-18-18, 12:50
Has anybody posted a noob guide to LineId for ISGers? . Or somebody experienced with it willing to create one?

Can the LineId remain the same, despite changing SIM cards?

When does one link the LineId to an email address?Good questions. I have had a look in settings and you can change phone numbers. It seems, what I can make out, that your ID stays the same. I'm sure at one stage I did have a different ID but I think I deleted the account and re- activated 12 months later using the same number. I don't think my line account is linked to an email account as I don't get any notifications on any of my accounts but again I may have used an account that I don't remember.

XXL
01-19-19, 05:03
Beware of buying any roaming package with these guys.

I just bought a 10-day 10 GB package for Malaysia and each time I try to connect to a mobile network I get the message "wrong network select again" and lose 150 baht. Whichever network I select it plays the same trick. My sim is activated for roaming (according to AIS but go figure). I cannot even phone their call center from Malaysia. My credit went from 3400 to 980 for nothing.

The bloody hotel here tells me international calls not possible from the hotel. So if I had to do something vital like block credit cards I would be high and dry as well.

So much for SEA being a technological wonderland.

MakeItOrBreak
01-19-19, 06:42
Beware of buying any roaming package with these guys.

I just bought a 10-day 10 GB package for Malaysia and each time I try to connect to a mobile network I get the message "wrong network select again" and lose 150 baht. Whichever network I select it plays the same trick. My sim is activated for roaming (according to AIS but go figure). I cannot even phone their call center from Malaysia. My credit went from 3400 to 980 for nothing.

The bloody hotel here tells me international calls not possible from the hotel. So if I had to do something vital like block credit cards I would be high and dry as well.

So much for SEA being a technological wonderland.I normally use AIS in Thailand if I need a SIM they got good coverage in the ocean surrounding Phuket. They are the partner my carrier for roaming so normally use AIS in Thailand and had no funny business so far. Hope you can sort your situation out when you get back to Thailand but also with your immediate needs.

Franga
01-19-19, 07:01

So much for SEA being a technological wonderland.Just use skype by buying skype credit. It is very cheap, like 2 USD cents per minute to call a landline anywhere in the world or 8 USD cents per minute to call a cellphone anywhere in the world. All you need is an internet connection. As almost all hotels have wifi these days then just call while in your room. The receiver takes the call as per normal (they do not need an internet connection). You can also send a text message to their cellphone using skype credit for just a few cents.

You can add skype credit for amounts as low as about $5 and they charge your credit card.

I have never had a sim card, and just use email, and free skype video calls or skype credit to communicate with land lines and cellphones.

Smoothy
01-19-19, 07:17
I used a phone app called Flexiroam recently and it worked well. I believe it can be used anywhere in the world.

Eric Swiss
01-28-19, 09:58
I tried to buy a pre-paid tourist SIM card using a foreign "driving license" of somewhat dubious origin (Chatuchak), and I was shocked when they scanned the license, took a picture of my face, and refused to sell the SIM card to me! I am just trying to protect my privacy here, as this is a second phone I reserve for working girls.

Is this because my face has changed between the time I took the picture and today? Is this because they have facial-recognition software that associates my face with a different name than the one on the foreign driving license I presented? Is this because they have another way to detect that the foreign driving license I presented was dodgy? Will this (lame) attempt to buy a SIM card remain as a permanent blot on my record and hinder future attempts to enter into Thailand legitimately?

More importantly, is there anywhere I can buy a SIM card under a pseudonym so that I keep my two lives neatly separated?

Banana Boi
01-28-19, 10:16
More importantly, is there anywhere I can buy a SIM card under a pseudonym so that I keep my two lives neatly separated?Pay off a Thai girl to purchase it for you. Thai girls will do anything for money so I'm guessing buying a SIM is not out of the question.

Eric Swiss
01-29-19, 04:39
Pay off a Thai girl to purchase it for you. Thai girls will do anything for money so I'm guessing buying a SIM is not out of the question.Pretty good idea! I might just try that.

Franciscass
01-29-19, 04:54
Will this (lame) attempt to buy a SIM card remain as a permanent blot on my record and hinder future attempts to enter into Thailand legitimately?For foreigners its a passport but no need to be overly concerned about privacy. Unless you intend using it for some nefarious reason nobody is interested. Turn off location for extra security. I don't believe being refused has any follow on consequences.

Robert Long
01-29-19, 07:35
Pretty good idea! I might just try that.They marry the phone ID with the sim ID, so she would have to take your phone to get the sim. Then her ID would be attached to the sim and phone ID. This sounds to easy. I think there is another connection missing here.

RL.

StLouisMo2010
02-27-19, 19:03
On my two trips I have not changed my SIM Card. Next month on my trip I intend to change out my SIM Card so internet will be available all the time vs. Depending on wi-fi from bars, restaurants etc.

Questions: what happens to my current (USA, Iphone) phone number? If someone calls it, anything? What about my Line ID and WhatsApp accounts, as they are tied to my current number.

I presume, if I retain my current SIM Card, I can put it back in my phone when departing, correct?

Response will be appreciated.

Allover
02-28-19, 05:40
On my two trips I have not changed my SIM Card. Next month on my trip I intend to change out my SIM Card so internet will be available all the time vs. Depending on wi-fi from bars, restaurants etc.

Questions: what happens to my current (USA, Iphone) phone number? If someone calls it, anything? What about my Line ID and WhatsApp accounts, as they are tied to my current number.

I presume, if I retain my current SIM Card, I can put it back in my phone when departing, correct?

Response will be appreciated.I buy a SIM card at the AIS store in Terminal 21. I ask them to set up my internet. When I leave the store I have internet. There is a kiosk at the airport for each cell phone provider. All are right next to each other and you will see them as you exit customs. I'm not sure if they charge more at the airport than in town. Be sure to put your hotel phone number in your phone after you install the SIM. If you have a problem you can call your hotel and have them translate if needed. Before you leave the cell store make sure your internet is working. Thai mobile internet speeds are pretty fast. Also ask your cell provider for the cheapest method of calling back to the USA.

When you return home put your USA SIM back in your phone and you can instantly use your phone normally. I wouldn't put the USA SIM back in the phone until you touchdown in the USA to avoid an ugly roaming bill.

Ed Setra
02-28-19, 09:41

Response will be appreciated. Firstly see if your phone is locked to your US SIM.
If you swap out your US SIM for the Thai one then your US SIM will not work, so your US number becomes temporarily inactive and calls cannot get thru so go to Voicemail if you set that up, presumably.

As far as I know your Line account and WhatsApp, being linked to your US number (and SIM), will not work either. But, you can transfer accounts now in Line, maybe same same with WhatsApp.

You can replace your US SIM afterwards no problem.

Seems a bit of a pfaff all round.

I have a dual sim phone and keep home and Thai SIMs in place, so no expert here. Just an opinion.

Maybe get a cheap second phone instead.

Kerrstar
02-28-19, 13:11
If someone calls it, anything? Nothing will happen. They caller will get a message that the phone is off or out of range, or whatever message your provider uses.

What about my Line ID and WhatsApp accounts, as they are tied to my current number.Line, WhatsApp, Wechat, etc. Are independent of your number. You may get a mesage that your number has changed and do you want to update it. Just ignore is, the apps will work fine.

Depending on your provider you can get roaming plans. I'm with AT&T for my US phone and use there passport plan. $60 a month extra for 1 GB data and 0 $. 35/ minute calls. I then use a second phone for local sims.

Jckgmn
03-17-21, 05:36
I'm preparing for my 1st trip to Thailand (60 ish days in Thailand w a possible follow on to PI or Cambodia) and I'm considering cell phone options.

My current carrier is Verizon but I am considering switching to TMOBILE or Patriot Mobile so my family can still contact me. (I understand Verizon's CDMA tech doesn't work well outside the US).

I am considering buying a BLU V9 (dual sim card GSM phone) and I wondered if anyone has experience w them.

Option 2 is to just buy a phone when I get there.

GrapeMan
03-17-21, 18:48
I'm preparing for my 1st trip to Thailand (60 ish days in Thailand w a possible follow on to PI or Cambodia) and I'm considering cell phone options.

My current carrier is Verizon but I am considering switching to TMOBILE or Patriot Mobile so my family can still contact me. (I understand Verizon's CDMA tech doesn't work well outside the US).

I am considering buying a BLU V9 (dual sim card GSM phone) and I wondered if anyone has experience w them.

Option 2 is to just buy a phone when I get there.You're very mistaken on a lot of stuff. For Verizon, it matters what phone you have. Almost certainly your phone will work with GSM as well as CDMA, as nearly all even remotely new phones sold by verizon do. CDMA exclusive is basically a deprecated idea in most modern phones as they support almost everyhting. You can simply get your phone unlocked (verizon will do it if its not already unlocked) and insert a new sim. Or you maybe able to get an eSim and have two lines.

Many people use international roaming (although data can get very pricey) -- I don't know Verizon's international rates, check with them. Or more commonly, you just use your own unlocked phone and buy a thai sim card at the airport (you may also be able to just get an esim from one of your providers and use both while there). For 2 months you can probably get a great voice / data setup for like 1600-2000 baht. There are numerous mobile kiosks in the airport that will set you up in just a couple minutes, they do it all day and night, literally.

Lastly, you may just want to try a general tourism website or forum for this info...

Allover
03-17-21, 19:01

Option 2 is to just buy a phone when I get there.If your main concern is talking to family in the USA why not have your family, including you, sign up for What's App, Viber, or something similar? You'll be able to talk for free as long as you have a WIFI signal or a local SIM card with a data plan. Some high end Verizon phones like a top of the line Samsung have the technology to work in Thailand even though they are CDMA in the US. My friend used a Sprint (CDMA) Samsung 8 with a Thai SIM card without problem. Check with Verizon to make sure your phone will accept a local SIM card.

Horatio
03-17-21, 19:11
I had tmobile when I was there last year. What worked for me was buying a sim card in thailand for an old phone I had. I used my tmobile to text back home and used Whatsapp to call family back home for free. A thai sim card is easy to get.

Option 2 is to just buy a phone when I get there.

HorseTrader
03-18-21, 03:09
1. Train people at home to use WhatsApp or similar. Test it while still home.

2. Get a daily international plan for your regular at home cell. This will get you covered for your arrival and departure days. ATT has an international daily plan for $10 and it makes any country just the same as your home country. With taxes it is about $14 per day. Expensive, but easy, and only need for 2 days. I'the guess Verizon has something similar.

3. Get a Thai SIM card. A year ago I paid about 450 baht per month with about 100 minutes calls and 10 MB data. I once ran out of minutes and spent about 100 baht at 7-11 to get more minutes. The 10 MB / month is more than I ever used.

Banana Boi
03-18-21, 04:01
Pick up a SIM once you land in Thailand. AIS, DTAC, True are 3 of the large cell carriers. Any will be fine. As HT says, it's dirt cheap relative to Western World plans.

I bought a Blu phone on Amazon before my first trip to SEA years ago. Same reasons you're likely considering it. Cheap and dual SIM. Maybe Blu is better now but let's just say I bought a name brand dual SIM cell phone at Power Buy on Day 1 in Pattaya.

Pranked
10-23-21, 03:19
Is picking up a SIM on arrival at the airport still the way to go for a short-term (1-2 weeks) visit?

Member #4753
10-28-21, 00:36
Is picking up a SIM on arrival at the airport still the way to go for a short-term (1-2 weeks) visit?I am not sure how well staffed the booths at the airport are at the moment, but as more and more visitors start coming then they surely will be there.

You can always just grab a sim card at virtually any shopping mall. Just seek out the telco booths or full shops and they will issue you a sim card. Cost is very cheap, think 10 baht per day for decent internet speed. You probably won't need talk time, just downloand "line app" everybody uses it in Thailand.

Chop
10-29-21, 03:44
You can always just grab a sim card at virtually any shopping mall.For that matter you can get a tourist sim card at any 7-11/ Family Mart, etc. In other words, anywhere and everywhere. Have your passport with you. 200 bhat worth of internet should hold you through 3 or 4 weeks.

Member #4753
10-29-21, 15:45
For that matter you can get a tourist sim card at any 7-11/ Family Mart, etc. In other words, anywhere and everywhere. Have your passport with you. 200 bhat worth of internet should hold you through 3 or 4 weeks.I personally prefer to pick it up at some kind of store or kiosk because they will activate for you. At a 7/11 they will simply hand over the sim and you have to activate it yourself. In my experience getting anything to work first time in Thailand can require a bit of patience or alot of swearing.

MilesToGo
10-29-21, 20:18
Is picking up a SIM on arrival at the airport still the way to go for a short-term (1-2 weeks) visit?Is that path allowed?

From what I remember- arrivals level to DTAC was up one floor. With the SAS hotel thing, I imagined it's straight from arrivals into some form of private / covid taxi.

Member #4753
10-30-21, 02:08
Is that path allowed?

From what I remember- arrivals level to DTAC was up one floor. With the SAS hotel thing, I imagined it's straight from arrivals into some form of private / covid taxi.Good point. I believe from Monday arrivals still have to spend 1 night in a quarantine hotel (WTF?) so are most likely not allowed to raom around airport freely.

The Thai government loves to add unecessary paperwork and complications to make life more difficult.

NicFrenchy
10-30-21, 02:22
Good point. I believe from Monday arrivals still have to spend 1 night in a quarantine hotel (WTF?) so are most likely not allowed to raom around airport freely.

The Thai government loves to add unecessary paperwork and complications to make life more difficult.The one night, in an ASQ or SHA+ hotel is to ensure you are not let free to roam the city until your PCR test comes back negative. Once it does, you're free to go roam wherever you like.

Member #4753
10-30-21, 17:45
The one night, in an ASQ or SHA+ hotel is to ensure you are not let free to roam the city until your PCR test comes back negative. Once it does, you're free to go roam wherever you like.My point is that the above action will add 5000 Thai Baht to someones trip as well as a lot more complicated paperwork. Tourists have been avoiding Thailand due to this nonsense.

Banana Boi
10-31-21, 05:48
There are a few AQ hotels near Asoke and Nana for 3900 baht which includes your RT-PCR test, 3 'meals' per day, plus transportation from BKK to the Sukhumvit area. Cheapest and oddly only AQ hotel in Pattaya is 4999 baht but that includes taxi to Pattaya. Really not that bad. Beats the hell out of the prior option having to fly to Phuket.

Regardless, if you're coming to look for girls wait for bars to reopen before coming. If you have 100's of girls on your Line ready to come to you for really cheap then get there now before the bars reopen.

Ragaraja
12-20-21, 03:59

Option 2 is to just buy a phone when I get there.I have done the following successfully. ATT works great, but costs too much. Tmobile Max you can use text and data. Calls in Thailand $0.25 usd a min. If you have a dual sim, yes get local sim for use there also its.

Cheap insurance. But on my few trips there, I just use Skype.

Yes Discord, Whatsap, etc work great. But I can buy a local number (local stateside) so my work, and everyone else can call a local number. Use Tmobile data where no wifi. And can get a local number in Thailand if you want om Skype. But don't need unless working date site. For decent price you can appear "local" wherever you are.

I have thought about carrying a Glocalme or Solis for international hotspot. Just in case. (for working), but you prob would not need. Dual sim is great, older phone w those apps and you should be golden. Like others said, test at home.

Shit, what did we all do when we had to find a fkn payphone? LOL.

Boater1788
02-25-22, 07:05
I am using a iPhone 11 which comes with a esim capability and my Australia number (Optus) is configured to use the esim.

When I got to Thailand I purchased the 30 gb, 100 mbps SIM from DTAC then added 200 baht of calls to it (they text instructions to you on how to add call credit). I also disabled my Australian number so as not to pay roaming charges.

The problem then was my credit card providers wanted to send me texts for one time codes to authorize online payments and my Oz number was disabled.

Had a read of the roaming charges for Optus and found I could enable roaming and receive texts at no charge.

So I.

1) enabled roaming in the Optus app.

2) turned the Oz number back on in setting.

3) set data and calls to always use the DTAC "line".

And bingo. I has a fully functional Thai number while still being able to get the CC auth codes via text on my Oz number at no charge.

Took me a while to work out all the bits, but now it is working very well.

Chop
02-27-22, 02:38
I know this wasn't what was originally asked, but since Boater1788 brought it up;.

I ported my US cellphone number over to Google Voice for a one time fee of $20, no recurring monthly charges. I put their app on my Thai phone and now my bank, investment house, CC people, etc send authentication codes to it just fine.

It relies on WiFi, so using my old US phone number for regular voice calls can be a bit sketchy if the WiFi isn't strong, but there are plenty of other options for staying in touch with family and friends nowadays without a US sim card. Works fine on the WiFi in my condo, free WiFi around town can be hit or miss. For banking and finance stuff (2nd factor authentication codes via text) it works great everywhere. The only downside is that it's a bit tricky to port your number back to a regular cellphone once you've ported to Google. Not an issue if, like me, you're not planning on coming back, but YMMV. Oh, and I still get all the old junk phone calls I was getting in the US. So be sure to mute your phone at night or you will get calls about your cars warranty at 3 in the morning, even when you don't own a car LOL.

Bunky
02-27-22, 16:48
I ported my US cellphone number over to Google Voice for a one time fee of $20, no recurring monthly charges. I put their app on my Thai phone and now my bank, investment house, CC people, etc send authentication codes to it just fine.With more and more logins requiring two factor authentication, this is good to know. Some systems will email the verification code, but most send it via text message.

I am a Skype customer and have used it in Thailand with good results for voice calls. If anybody calls my U.S. cell phone number, it's automatically forwarded to my Skype, plus I have the option of forwarding it again to my Thai cell number. So people call the same number they have always called to reach me and I can answer using Skype (VOIP) or my Thai cell (4G/5G). As a practical matter the time difference between Thailand and my home country is such that the calls usually come in while I'm sleeping and the callers leave a voice mail. Fine by me. For 90% of my digital nomad work real time comms are not required.

I have not had occasion to use Skype to forward text messages sent to my U.S. cell phone. Is this possible? If so, where do I read the forwarded text messages? Using the Skype app on my laptop or tablet? Or do I need to re-forward the text messages to my Thai cell phone with the Thai SIM card?

FunMan13
03-08-22, 09:06
I don't know if this is the right place to ask. I am coming to Thailand in 2 weeks. I have a new phone and want to set up my LINE account to it from my old phone. Several years ago I did it once before when I transferred from an older phone to the old phone. I was successful in transferring the account but could not transfer the messages and chats with my contacts. Some of the contacts could not recognize me without chat history.

Can someone walk me through or is there a website in English to help me? Or should I bring both phones to Bangkok and go the mall and ask for help?

Thank you in advance.

Funman13.

EihTooms
03-08-22, 09:37
I don't know if this is the right place to ask. I am coming to Thailand in 2 weeks. I have a new phone and want to set up my LINE account to it from my old phone. Several years ago I did it once before when I transferred from an older phone to the old phone. I was successful in transferring the account but could not transfer the messages and chats with my contacts. Some of the contacts could not recognize me without chat history.

Can someone walk me through or is there a website in English to help me? Or should I bring both phones to Bangkok and go the mall and ask for help?.Unless they have added a feature that transfers whole conversations and chats along with your contacts and profile in one of the recent updates I think you will lose all those conversations when you transfer your Line account to a new phone.

I hope I am wrong about that. It is an annoying aspect re Line about getting a new phone.

As far as I know you will only retain your contacts as they were originally identified by their Line ID when you added them, your profile pics and so on and anything you have transferred to Line Keep.

So if there are any photos in those conversations that you want to save, take screenshots of them now and send them to your Gallery, Google Photos, Drop Box or whatever photo storage app you use.

The same goes for any specific entries in a conversation like the girls' real names they go by rather than the name on their Line ID, directions or addresses, promises to honor and obey your every sexual desire and so on. Take screenshots of those pages in your conversations now and save them in a photo storage app, in Line Keep or both.

HorseTrader
03-08-22, 10:48

Can someone walk me through or is there a website in English to help me? Or should I bring both phones to Bangkok and go the mall and ask for help?

Thank you in advance.

Funman13.I have iPhone and when I replaced my prior phone I just did restore from the prior night's backup. It worked perfectly, like I never changed phones. All apps transferred perfectly with no special action on my part. I don't remember if I restored from iCloud or from my laptop (I keep backups both ways). That method retained chat history for a year or more prior to my changing of phones.

If you don't have backup, I wouldn't know where to start. Even knowing your Line ID and password might not be enough. Line is likely to request verification from your primary Line device.

FunMan13
03-09-22, 02:08
Thanks Guys. I will let you know if I am successful.

Funman13.

SinfullyKorean
11-05-22, 05:09
Looks like the airport rip off of sim cards has finally started in BKK. On my previous visit (3 months ago), I obtained a 30 day 4 G unlimited data plan for 300 baht. This time, that cost was 999 baht. And unlimited 5 g costs 1700 baht. I checked 2 different stalls and was told that the data plan I previously purchased are no longer available at the airport kiosks.

Fortunately, I still had my sim card from my previous trip. When they looked up my sim card, they told me that I'm eligible to renew my 4 G unlimited data. So I got lucky, kept my old number, and got unlimited data for 300 baht.

The rep said they're not sure if the non-airport AIS stores (e. G. Malls) still offer the 300 baht plan. But I'll check and report.

Allover
11-05-22, 23:47
Fortunately, I still had my sim card from my previous trip. When they looked up my sim card, they told me that I'm eligible to renew my 4 G unlimited data. So I got lucky, kept my old number, and got unlimited data for 300 baht.For AIS you can download the AIS app and keep your SIM pretty much forever. Using the app you can top up as little as B10 in funds using a credit card to extend the SIM validity for 30 days. You can top up B10 12 times back to back to keep your SIM valid for one year. Before I left Thailand I topped up 12 times in a matter of a few minutes. You can top up while in Thailand or from the USA You can also top up cheaply with no service fee at https://www.ding.com/topup. By keeping your SIM valid you keep the same phone number. Also, when you arrive in Thailand, you only need.

To top up or add an internet package which is cheaper than getting a new SIM and internet package.

TwilightZoner
11-10-22, 06:46
Quick question, when I get a sim card for Thailand, will it affect the apps I currently have on my smartphone? Especially my Line app!

(my phone has a slot for a second sim card).

SinfullyKorean
11-10-22, 13:27
Quick question, when I get a sim card for Thailand, will it affect the apps I currently have on my smartphone? Especially my Line app!

(my phone has a slot for a second sim card).Nope. All messaging apps remain valid and operational even when you change numbers. You shouldn't have any issues logging in and using the app. The only problem I've had is when I need 2 factor authentication which uses my phone number. This is usually when I'm using some app on my laptop.

SinfullyKorean
11-10-22, 13:36
For AIS you can download the AIS app and keep your SIM pretty much forever. Using the app you can top up as little as B10 in funds using a credit card to extend the SIM validity for 30 days. You can top up B10 12 times back to back to keep your SIM valid for one year. Before I left Thailand I topped up 12 times in a matter of a few minutes. You can top up while in Thailand or from the USA You can also top up cheaply with no service fee at https://www.ding.com/topup. By keeping your SIM valid you keep the same phone number. Also, when you arrive in Thailand, you only need.

To top up or add an internet package which is cheaper than getting a new SIM and internet package.Nice tip! Thanks for that. How does the top up work? Does it expire after 1 month? So the idea is to top up each month so the SIM remains valid? Do you know what happens after topping up 10 times?

I have the AIS Services app. It looks like a PIN is needed to purchase an internet package. Do you know how to set up a PIN? If not, I'll go check out an AIS shop tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!

TwilightZoner
11-10-22, 17:16
Nope. All messaging apps remain valid and operational even when you change numbers. You shouldn't have any issues logging in and using the app. The only problem I've had is when I need 2 factor authentication which uses my phone number. This is usually when I'm using some app on my laptop.Thanks for that!!

Allover
11-10-22, 20:37
Nice tip! Thanks for that. How does the top up work? Does it expire after 1 month? So the idea is to top up each month so the SIM remains valid? Do you know what happens after topping up 10 times?

I have the AIS Services app. It looks like a PIN is needed to purchase an internet package. Do you know how to set up a PIN? If not, I'll go check out an AIS shop tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!The app I use is called myAIS. I'm guessing that is what you mean when you say the "AIS services app". I now use the App to Top Up. You can use the myAIS app to top up anywhere in the World whether or not the Thai Sim card is installed. Each top up (B10 minimum) extends your Sim validity for 30 days. You don't need to top up every month. You can top up once and then immediately top up again. I topped up 12 times on the same day to extend my Sim for one year. I was concerned I would forget to top up for a month and lose my phone number. The baht balance on your account can be used for making phone calls or applied to purchase of an internet plan in the future.

If I recall correctly you only need to log onto your account using a password (or 4 digit pin code) to buy an internet plan. I didn't need the pin to buy an internet package. I got the pin because it is faster to log in than typing out my password. I can also log in using my finger print on my Samsung phone. I remember going to my profile in the app to see the option to set up my pin and allow fingerprint access. The app allows you to buy internet packages of varying speeds and GBs for a month, a day, 3 days, or 7 days. AIS's English speaking customer services reps can help you with the pin. AIS customer service is 1175 on your phone or you could visit their store. On my last visit it was easier to call the phone reps due to long lines at the store.

And one more thing that might help others. I visited Laos for a few nights. Rather than buying a Lao Sim card I added on an AIS roaming package for 7 days. I don't recall the cost but it was very cheap and gave me fast internet in Vientianne. I contacted AIS customer service by phone to set that up. For people visiting multiple countries, AIS sells a Sim for that purpose. Search for Banana Boi's post #160 in this forum / thread about that Sim.

Hope this helps.

Steve 9696
11-11-22, 02:40
If you don't like messing with SIM cards and top ups and are from US check out Google Fi. Unlimited data in 220 countries. $70/ month.

For me totally worth it. It's like magic.

HorseTrader
11-11-22, 06:09
Nope. All messaging apps remain valid and operational even when you change numbers.I almost agree, it depends on what you call an app. For iPhone users, the new SIM card setup will ask if iMessage should be associated with your new number or your home country number. I recommend leaving that to your home country number. It isn't easy to set it back to home country without switching back to your home SIM. Of course, your SMS messages from home country will no longer work, but will be replaced with new messages from your Thai number.

Apps like Line, WhatsApp, and WeChat transfer without issue.

Jimmy Boy 99
04-19-23, 14:45
I have an international data plan with T-Mobile which is supposed to work in Thailand by connecting to AIS towers. It worked for a day when I arrived and then stopped working. Called T-Mobile several times and each fix that they tried would work for a few hours and then stop working. Their final solution was for me to do a factory re-set of my phone, which I did not want to do. Since I am going to be here for several months, I need internet access, so went to Terminal 21 to check out local phone plans. True Move had a plan for about 435 baht a month with a lot of gigabytes and 100 minutes of calls a month. Went to AIS and they had a renewable 90 day plan for 535 baht in total with 100 gb of data and 60 call minutes every month. I obviously chose the AIS plan. For those who will be staying longer than a month and need internet access, you may want to get this plan. They also have a 180 day plan for about 850 baht with similar benefits.

FernandoAlonso
05-04-23, 19:22
Can you prolong the lifetime of the tourist sims at the airport by topping them up? I think I remember you can. Or better just get a normal prepaid and let it run out? I always have the troubles of staying one or 2 days longer than the original validity which is kind of annoying. Therefore the question.

Allover
05-04-23, 19:41
Can you prolong the lifetime of the tourist sims at the airport by topping them up? I think I remember you can. Or better just get a normal prepaid and let it run out? I always have the troubles of staying one or 2 days longer than the original validity which is kind of annoying. Therefore the question.You can always top up a Sim card even for a short period like 1 or 3 days. I use AIS and I can top up using the AIS app or go to one of their stores located in most shopping malls in Bangkok or Pattaya. I can top up from the USA using the AIS app or going to mobiltopup.com. Mobiltopup.com allows you to top up most sims cards, not just AIS. www.ding.com/topup is another free service to top up a Thai Sim in the USA. I visit Thailand annually and like to keep the same Sim and Thai phone number. With AIS I can top up to extend the Sim for a month with as little as a B10 topup. You can also do 12 consecutive topups (even on the same day) to keep your Sim valid for a full year. It beats showing your passport to get a new Sim every trip.

GrapeMan
05-04-23, 19:47
Can you prolong the lifetime of the tourist sims at the airport by topping them up? I think I remember you can. Or better just get a normal prepaid and let it run out? I always have the troubles of staying one or 2 days longer than the original validity which is kind of annoying. Therefore the question.You can top up wherever, on the app, a store, 7-11. As long as you have the sim you can refill it up to a point. I think like 6 months after not being used or credit ends the sim goes dead, but before that you should be able to top up.

Davey1965
05-04-23, 23:09
I have an international data plan with T-Mobile which is supposed to work in Thailand by connecting to AIS towers. It worked for a day when I arrived and then stopped working. Called T-Mobile several times and each fix that they tried would work for a few hours and then stop working. Their final solution was for me to do a factory re-set of my phone, which I did not want to do. Since I am going to be here for several months, I need internet access, so went to Terminal 21 to check out local phone plans. True Move had a plan for about 435 baht a month with a lot of gigabytes and 100 minutes of calls a month. Went to AIS and they had a renewable 90 day plan for 535 baht in total with 100 gb of data and 60 call minutes every month. I obviously chose the AIS plan. For those who will be staying longer than a month and need internet access, you may want to get this plan. They also have a 180 day plan for about 850 baht with similar benefits.I did T-mobile international last trip and it was a waste as well. Only worried in Bangkok but nowhere else. Got frustrated in Roi et and did same, just got a local SIM card. Worked great for less than then $50 I paid T-Mobile.

HorseTrader
05-05-23, 06:25
I did T-mobile international last trip and it was a waste as well. Only worried in Bangkok but nowhere else. Got frustrated in Roi et and did same, just got a local SIM card. Worked great for less than then $50 I paid T-Mobile.My USA buddy who travels with me also has T-Mobile and its performance in Thailand is spotty at best. I have AT&T and its performance in Thailand is flawless, but very expensive, about $15 per day including taxes and fees.

I always get a Thai SIM because it is much cheaper than using my USA SIM. DTAC and AIS have both worked well for me.

If your phone supports E-SIMs, I recommend that you get a Thai E-SIM because switching E-SIMs is so much easier than switching physical SIMs.

Allover
05-05-23, 17:46
I have a high end Samsung from T-Mobile with e-sim capability. I am thinking about changing my T-Mo physical sim to a T-Mo e-sim and putting my Thai AIS sim in the physical sim slot to have both Thai and USA phone numbers available. I have read that topping up a Thai e-sim and Thai e-sim plans are possibly more expensive which is why I want to continue to use a Thai physical sim. Does this make any sense?

P.S. HorseTrader do you have both a US e-sim and Thai e-sim installed at the same time?

HorseTrader
05-06-23, 02:51
I have a high end Samsung from T-Mobile with e-sim capability. I am thinking about changing my T-Mo physical sim to a T-Mo e-sim and putting my Thai AIS sim in the physical sim slot to have both Thai and USA phone numbers available. I have read that topping up a Thai e-sim and Thai e-sim plans are possibly more expensive which is why I want to continue to use a Thai physical sim. Does this make any sense?

P.S. HorseTrader do you have both a US e-sim and Thai e-sim installed at the same time?I have both USA and Thailand E-Sims installed at the same time. Remember the E-SIM is just data on your phone, nothing physical to install. I keep the USA E-SIM disabled about 99% of my time in Thailand, I don't want to pay $15 to receive a USA spam call.

About 6 months ago the BKK airport did not have access to E-SIMs on that particular day, so I bought a physical SIM. A few days later I was at the Samui airport and they switched me to E-SIM without charge. This makes me think the physical and E-SIMs are the same price from AIS. I don’t know if topping up prices are different. I do know that it is easy to top up using the AIS app.

FernandoAlonso
05-27-23, 13:00
So here is what I did: ignore the airport shops, go to the next mall, most have a service Center of dtac, Ais and True. They will try sell you the same like airport. Say no. They will give yo whatever is on discount ATM. Got 30 days, 100 gB for 399 including free installation service. Tourist SIM is 1000.

CaliGuy33
05-30-23, 17:09
Has anyone had any issues using an E-sim on arrival in Thailand? Difficulties getting setup on an E-sim with the various Thai cell phone carriers?

I'm debating getting the new iPhone 14 prior to my Thailand trip due to it being an E-sim phone. So just curious what experiences others have had with it.

I saw the recent comment that said their experience with E-sim was flawless which is good to know.

HorseTrader
05-30-23, 21:07
Has anyone had any issues using an E-sim on arrival in Thailand? Difficulties getting setup on an E-sim with the various Thai cell phone carriers?

I'm debating getting the new iPhone 14 prior to my Thailand trip due to it being an E-sim phone. So just curious what experiences others have had with it.

I saw the recent comment that said their experience with E-sim was flawless which is good to know.My flawless transition from physical SIM to E-SIM was with AIS using an iPhone 13. I expect you would have similar experience with the iPhone 14.

Davey1965
05-31-23, 00:39
With last experience I did not activate international T Mobile this time and saved 50 bucks. However when I arrived in Thailand I got an automated message from T mo stating they now have and agreement with AIS in Thailand and no need for International. They charge. 25 for text messages and not sure what for calls. Have not used it except to monitor some text messages coming in from customers, that I reply via email.

My Thai friend in Udon recommended I go with True this time and it has been flawless all over the Isaan region. I have not had much of any slow downs or dead zones. So can def recommend in the Isaan region.

CaliGuy33
05-31-23, 01:26
My flawless transition from physical SIM to E-SIM was with AIS using an iPhone 13. I expect you would have similar experience with the iPhone 14.Thanks for the feedback. I'm assuming most phones will be E-sim soon enough so I may as well make the change.

QuackUp
05-31-23, 03:56
I also had no problem with the e-sim. I used airalo and it included data, voice and text.

Time To Flip
05-31-23, 05:11
I also had no problem with the e-sim. I used airalo and it included data, voice and text.Yes, I also used Airalo to purchase an eSim and it worked flawlessly. Use the code DAVID8503 to save $3. 00.

BeachDrone
06-01-23, 19:06
I travel to Thailand every year and stay up to 60 days. I used to get an AIS sim with a Thai number. For the last 5 or 6 years, the international plan from my USA Provider includes unlimited data, unlimited SMS, and reasonable cost phone calls (which I do not make), so I have not gotten a SIM or ESIM and just use my USA Number. I typically communicate with ladies using Line or WhatsApp (mostly Line). My question is what is the real value of having a Thai phone number either by an actual SIM is an ESIM?

Tvataham274
06-01-23, 20:55
With last experience I did not activate international T Mobile this time and saved 50 bucks. However when I arrived in Thailand I got an automated message from T mo stating they now have and agreement with AIS in Thailand and no need for International. They charge. 25 for text messages and not sure what for calls. Have not used it except to monitor some text messages coming in from customers, that I reply via email.

My Thai friend in Udon recommended I go with True this time and it has been flawless all over the Isaan region. I have not had much of any slow downs or dead zones. So can def recommend in the Isaan region.That is good info. I'm going to join TMO sometime this month because my current carrier has fuckedall with my voicemail and despite their claim that they have 'international roaming', my phone has been DOA in both Canada, Dominican, and Thailand until I get on chat with them and ask them to give me the fucking AP configuration. The more seamless it is, the better. If I'm on holiday, what's $50 to stay in touch at home? A drop in the proverbial bucket when you account in airfare.

Lcale1982
06-01-23, 23:11

I saw the recent comment that said their experience with E-sim was flawless which is good to know.Friend who just came back had issues w / his esim. Had the worker set it up for him and when he got back in the states got a bill for 300+ . So if you are using esim make sure the data is not coming from your network. Think you need to turn off your regular service data or roaming.

HorseTrader
06-02-23, 06:45
Friend who just came back had issues w / his esim. Had the worker set it up for him and when he got back in the states got a bill for 300+ . So if you are using esim make sure the data is not coming from your network. Think you need to turn off your regular service data or roaming.Yes, that is absolutely correct! You must explicitly turn off your USA service on your phone or you will be billed for the international service.

Pranked
01-11-24, 03:17
Any recent intel on eSims either on arrival or before coming? Thanks!

Sonic Bam
01-11-24, 19:36
Any recent intel on eSims either on arrival or before coming? Thanks!I used Airolo to buy a DTAC eSIM. Bought it when in Cambodia, activated it when taxing in at Don Muang. No problems with installation or use. Recommended.

Tvataham274
01-11-24, 21:59
I too have a question. Will be arriving second week of February. For those esims, I assume you need to scan a barcode on your phone to add the sim, then you can toggle between the two (real sim and esim)? I hated having to swap my sim to check texts and voicemails from my main number while traveling. And in three of the cases where I traveled internationally, my roaming which I bought and paid for beforehand didn't work at all.

LPT: Don't go with Mint mobile MVMO if you are in the states. They are one of the cheapest MVMOs, yes, but you get what you pay for. Jack shit. I switched to Fi, so I hope that the Google Almighty will work flawlessly once I land.

And before anyone says anything, I know roaming costs an absurd amount, but I need to keep in touch with people back home occasionally.

Nyezhov
01-12-24, 04:07
I too have a question. Will be arriving second week of February. For those esims, I assume you need to scan a barcode on your phone to add the sim, then you can toggle between the two (real sim and esim)? I hated having to swap my sim to check texts and voicemails from my main number while traveling. And in three of the cases where I traveled internationally, my roaming which I bought and paid for beforehand didn't work at all.

LPT: Don't go with Mint mobile MVMO if you are in the states. They are one of the cheapest MVMOs, yes, but you get what you pay for. Jack shit. I switched to Fi, so I hope that the Google Almighty will work flawlessly once I land.

And before anyone says anything, I know roaming costs an absurd amount, but I need to keep in touch with people back home occasionally.I use Google Fi on my main phone and then have a separate phone with Sims for Thailand and Cambodia where I just use the hotspot. All you really need in Thailand and Cambodia is data.

SedNabokos
01-12-24, 08:36
For those esims, I assume you need to scan a barcode on your phone to add the sim, then you can toggle between the two (real sim and esim)? I hated having to swap my sim to check texts and voicemails from my main number while traveling. No need to swap between the two, you can (in any reasonably modern phone anyway) have them both active at the same time.

Then choose which SIM you use for outgoing calls / SMS and which SIM for data, and even set up overrides for specific contacts in your address book.

Depending on what carrier your main SIM is with you might even be able to do "voice over wifi" but using the eSIM as its data connection. So you can make and receive calls without paying roaming charges.

I did that recently in Singapore with a "Singapore / Thailand / Malaysia" eSIM from MobiMatter (https://mobimatter.com/travel-esim/3-singapore-malaysia-and-thailand-15-gb-esim?destination=SG,TH) for USD $9. 99.

I'm planning to top up that SIM with the same plan when I next visit Thailand.

GatorAk
01-12-24, 10:00

And before anyone says anything, I know roaming costs an absurd amount, but I need to keep in touch with people back home occasionally.Like mentioned below Airolo works great. I ordered my 15 days eSIM and activated it before leaving California as it requires wifi to activate. I had service the moment I landed at the BKK. Fast and reliable service without the hassle. It was $19 for 15 days and I too had my t mobile and Airolo esim active at the same time.

Pranked
01-13-24, 16:08
Thank you all for the responses and details. Looks like this is not much hassle after all, and one less thing to stress about on the way in.

HorseTrader
01-13-24, 18:51
With DTAC, and perhaps others, you can add money to your plan at 7-11. Nothing is easier than finding a 7-11 in Thailand. But, AIS does not work with 7-11.

To add to your AIS account, there are less common retailer places to use. I up my AIS account using the "My AIS" app, which often rejects my credit card but does accept my debit card (I don't know why).

Advantage to DTAC, but I'll keep my existing AIS number because it isn't a big deal. Just a little headache.

NovaThings
01-17-24, 00:51
Hi all. Hope this helpful. I always use physical SIM cards and I went with ACS after seeing YouTube videos and online advise. Do not get go with ACS because they have a 1 gig per day limit and then you need to purchase more. The only problem is to set up additional service they only have 3 locations or very few locations that will assist you specifically with a temp plan. I got m SIM card at the airport and service was fine. Mid way though the second day I got a 500 mb alert that I only had 500 more. Went to the ACS store and they showed me a sign that has 3-4 locations so you can't go to any ACS store. You may be able to do it online but I thought I got a gig per day and then throttled until it reset the next day. Regardless, I went to dtac and got an 8 day 15 gig temp SIM card. There's no daily limit but when you cap out at 15 gigs you have to get a new one. Those who are tech savvy maybe able to do this all online. For everyone else, I would avoid ACS only because when your using your phone for location and etc, I didn't want to be watching my data each day. Good luck all.

Cbb19
01-23-24, 05:48
I installed today the E-SIM from Nomad because it has a special Thailand offer (50 GB for 10 days for 8 USD). So far it works okay and I can recommend it. It was very easy to install.

Werqweq
01-30-24, 22:22
Hi all. Hope this helpful. I always use physical SIM cards and I went with ACS after seeing YouTube videos and online advise. Do not get go with ACS because they have a 1 gig per day limit and then you need to purchase more. The only problem is to set up additional service they only have 3 locations or very few locations that will assist you specifically with a temp plan. I got m SIM card at the airport and service was fine. Mid way though the second day I got a 500 mb alert that I only had 500 more. Went to the ACS store and they showed me a sign that has 3-4 locations so you can't go to any ACS store. You may be able to do it online but I thought I got a gig per day and then throttled until it reset the next day. Regardless, I went to dtac and got an 8 day 15 gig temp SIM card. There's no daily limit but when you cap out at 15 gigs you have to get a new one. Those who are tech savvy maybe able to do this all online. For everyone else, I would avoid ACS only because when your using your phone for location and etc, I didn't want to be watching my data each day. Good luck all.You probably mean AIS, not "ACS". Myself I have True because I can't be bothered to change, but Thai friends usually recommend AIS. And you're right, you can do all that online.

They all have dtac / ais / true-specific apps that you can use to purchase whatever data package you want and pay for it via credit card, and there are a lot more options available than in Europe, both regarding speed when active and speed you get when you've used up the max speed and get throttled. You probably just bought an AIS package that was not a good match for you.

Allover
01-31-24, 07:32
Hi all. Hope this helpful. I always use physical SIM cards and I went with ACS after seeing YouTube videos and online advise. Do not get go with ACS because they have a 1 gig per day limit and then you need to purchase more. The only problem is to set up additional service they only have 3 locations or very few locations that will assist you specifically with a temp plan. I got m SIM card at the airport and service was fine.AIS has a very good customer telephone help line. They are English speaking and helpful.