PDA

View Full Version : Oh no! Entering the Phil without a ticket out (more oh no)

PirateMorgan
07-29-15, 06:59
So the whole story is. When I was in L. A. I called and asked Phil Air if I could fly on a one way ticket. They said yes.

At the airport the airline said no and that I had to buy a ticket out (Honk Kong) which was refundable)$475.

Today in Cebu I went to Phil Airlines to get a refund and they said NO! Not without showing another ticket out of the country.

This saga is not over. (They did quote me a price of $300 for a one way ticket to Thailand. I'd swim first.).

GoodEnough
07-29-15, 09:26
So the whole story is. When I was in L. A. I called and asked Phil Air if I could fly on a one way ticket. They said yes.

At the airport the airline said no and that I had to buy a ticket out (Honk Kong) which was refundable)$475.

Today in Cebu I went to Phil Airlines to get a refund and they said NO! Not without showing another ticket out of the country.

This saga is not over. (They did quote me a price of $300 for a one way ticket to Thailand. I'd swim first.).You probably could have bought a throw away Cebu Pacific ticket to Singapore for less than $50.

Fastpiston
01-14-16, 09:49
You probably could have bought a throw away Cebu Pacific ticket to Singapore for less than $50.This is yet another scam for entrapping foreigners. Philippines is one of the few countries that play this angle. Pillippine airlines checking staff are heavily encouraged at airports to try and catch people without a return ticket so they can sell a juicy full priced exit ticket. Before issuing a boarding pass for flights to the Philippines. At times, they even tried with me even though I had an exit ticket!! Quote: is this a return ticket?? One even tried to say because I arrived in Manila and exit was Cebu, the exit ticket is not valid!!

Goferring
01-14-16, 10:02
This is yet another scam for entrapping foreigners. Philippines is one of the few countries that play this angle. Pillippine airlines checking staff are heavily encouraged at airports to try and catch people without a return ticket so they can sell a juicy full priced exit ticket. Before issuing a boarding pass for flights to the Philippines. At times, they even tried with me even though I had an exit ticket!! Quote: is this a return ticket?? One even tried to say because I arrived in Manila and exit was Cebu, the exit ticket is not valid!!No need to buy or print anything. I always just have an onward ticket's details typed into my phone or ipad calendar complete with a realistic looking booking code. Just show this to who ever asks and say its an e-ticket. I've never been asked for more regardless of if this is a real ticket's details or not. I hate carrying paper copies of everything so this also works for getting thru security to enter the airport front gate.

Red Kilt
01-14-16, 12:38

Sorry Pirate.

I have lived here for 19 years now and you have ALWAYS needed a valid return ticket to travel to the Philippines.

Here is the Bureau of Immigration website entry".

9. What are arrival requirements for Philippine-destined alien tourists?

9.1. For aliens with diplomatic or bilateral agreements with the Philippines:

Unexpired passport;
Unexpired entry visa; and
Validly-issued return ticket.

Non-visa required aliens shall be admitted an initial 30-days.

9.2. For aliens without bilateral agreements with the Philippines:

Unexpired passport;

Unexpired entry visa; and (Philippine Foreign Post (PFP)-listed highly restricted aliens shall secure visa only at the PFP in their country of origin or legal residence.)

Validly-issued return ticket.

You can never believe what desk clerks say in a foreign port about the Philippines. They are mostly wrong. Always check on website of country you are visiting.

I had wrong advice about not needing a visa to go to Mongolia. I was told I didn't need one. When I went online I found I did need one as displayed on numerous website.

PirateMorgan
01-14-16, 13:32
Did you get a prison sentence of 19 years?

Red Kilt
01-14-16, 14:07
Did you get a prison sentence of 19 years?Hah!

No. I live here because I have work assignments that kept me here for much of the time although I am now content to remain here by choice.

I have learned to side-step all the problems and crises that are well-documented on these pages, and when I do experience any SNAFUs I have learned to endure them and move on.

Those who come for 2 or 3 week monger vacations experience the best of times and the worst of times (apologies to Dickens).

Tomasb
01-14-16, 14:34
When I arrived at the SFO airport ticket counter for EVA, the Taiwanese national airline, the agent told
me that I needed a return ticket from the Philippines before I could board their flight, which had a stop in Taipei.

So I could continue on to Manila. I then booked a return flight with United and put the reservation details on my phone, which was accepted by the agent. I cancelled this reservation several minutes later without additional charge. United policy allows you to cancel any flight within 24 hours without any cancellation fees or other charges.

Hah!

No. I live here because I have work assignments that kept me here for much of the time although I am now content to remain here by choice.

I have learned to side-step all the problems and crises that are well-documented on these pages, and when I do experience any SNAFUs I have learned to endure them and move on.

Those who come for 2 or 3 week monger vacations experience the best of times and the worst of times (apologies to Dickens).

Lammtarra
04-03-16, 16:48
This is yet another scam for entrapping foreigners. Philippines is one of the few countries that play this angle. Pillippine airlines checking staff are heavily encouraged at airports to try and catch people without a return ticket so they can sell a juicy full priced exit ticket. Before issuing a boarding pass for flights to the Philippines. At times, they even tried with me even though I had an exit ticket!! Quote: is this a return ticket?? One even tried to say because I arrived in Manila and exit was Cebu, the exit ticket is not valid!!Last autumn happened to me in Singapore: Flying Philippine Airlines to Manila, they ask for my return ticket. I had a ticket with Qatar Airways back to Europe from Manila via Doha 10 days later. They see the ticket and say "sorry we are not able to verify this is a real ticket, we have no access to Qatar Airways ticket numbers".

I say angrily "So any ticket but a Philippine Airlines one would be wrong to you, as you have access to NO other Airlines ticket numbers" (I have worked in Airlines section before).

She goes to her supervisor (she was not a Pinay girl from real PR Staff but an old nasty Indian lady from some Handling service at Changi Airport) and comes back with a "OK sir, here is your boarding pass".

Canute
11-13-17, 15:26
I had a one way ticket from the USA on United and the day before the departure, computer would not let me do on line check in. Fortunately, I had invested $40.00 on a cheap ticket from Manila to HK and ticket agent was asked by computer to confirm the onward ticket. Only after she confirmed, she was able to issue a boarding pass. It was all done promptly by a very nice lady at the airport.

LifeIsABeach
12-03-17, 07:27
I had a one way ticket from the USA on United and the day before the departure, computer would not let me do on line check in. Fortunately, I had invested $40.00 on a cheap ticket from Manila to HK and ticket agent was asked by computer to confirm the onward ticket. Only after she confirmed, she was able to issue a boarding pass. It was all done promptly by a very nice lady at the airport.Very strange. I travel a lot and never have any physical tickets with me as I always book online. It's always e-tickets. Even for Philippines, last time I have had one way to Cebu and then to Indonesia, different airlines. I just carry my paper Flight Itinerary. I have been asked when I am leaving and I have showed my paper Flight Itinerary. That has worked all the times in countries where I have been asked 'leaving' questions. I will be in Phillipines in a month or so and I'll have the same papers with me again.

Kabul Guy
12-05-17, 04:20
Sorry Pirate.

I have lived here for 19 years now and you have ALWAYS needed a valid return ticket to travel to the Philippines.

.....Not 100% correct.

If you have a long-term visa you can enter on a one-way ticket.

Tourist visa yes, you will need and be asked by PA and CEBU agents before boarding. But BB visa or SRRV you can enter on a one-way ticket.

Check AirAsia for low-cost tickets, sometimes $US30 to 35 to HGK.

Sky Jump
08-23-19, 17:45
If a country needs an onward ticket to enter just buy a fully refundable ticket from one of the airlines. Once you land cancel the ticket. Have used this technique for 25 years.

Wicked Roger
08-24-19, 02:19
If a country needs an onward ticket to enter just buy a fully refundable ticket from one of the airlines. Once you land cancel the ticket. Have used this technique for 25 years.Why go to all that expense as fully refundable tickets are way too expensive.

All you need to do is show a return ticket (hard copy) so many use this web site.

https://onwardfly.com/en/?utm_content=test&utm_campaign=test&utm_source=test&utm_term=test&utm_medium=test

So buy a budget ticket, get one from here for maybe $10-20 and you are set.

Buying a fully refundable ticket I know is super pricey and I only do that on business trios not mongering ones.

Sky Jump
11-05-19, 08:38
Not 100% correct.

If you have a long-term visa you can enter on a one-way ticket.

Tourist visa yes, you will need and be asked by PA and CEBU agents before boarding. But BB visa or SRRV you can enter on a one-way ticket.
I just flew in on United on a one way and neither the airline or immigration ask me anything.
Check AirAsia for low-cost tickets, sometimes $US30 to 35 to HGK.I just flew in on United on a one way and neither the airline or immigration ask me anything.

Jingo10
11-05-19, 18:45
I thought having an outbound ticket was standard for most countries needing a tourist visa, I had similar recently in Vietnam, I booked a bus online for $10 to Cambodia which they accepted.

CenTexCrash
11-05-19, 19:38
My limited list of onward journey nations (I think).

Philippines=they care.

Malaysia=doesn't care.

South Korea=doesn't care.

Singapore=they care.

Japan=doesn't care.

China=they care.

Europe Schengen Zone=doesn't care if under 90 days.

Kabul Guy
11-05-19, 22:17
I have been into Singapore on the ferry from Indonesia several times, I never had onward ticket and just bought it in Singapore before return. This was for visa runs to renew my Indonesian visa. Only flwew in once without an onward ticket, I had a online ferry ticket but was never asked for it.

Just take an old ticket and Photoshop it. They never check the validity of the ticket, just that you have one. Only airlines ask, never been asked by immigration anywhere.

I worked in Haiti for a year, my co-worker was always hassled about his onward ticket but I never was asked. Flying into USA from Canada never asked for onward ticket.

Your country of citizenship might impact how much scrutiny you get.

GDreams
11-06-19, 11:28
I have been into Singapore on the ferry from Indonesia several times, I never had onward ticket and just bought it in Singapore before return. This was for visa runs to renew my Indonesian visa. Only flwew in once without an onward ticket, I had a online ferry ticket but was never asked for it.

Just take an old ticket and Photoshop it. They never check the validity of the ticket, just that you have one. Only airlines ask, never been asked by immigration anywhere.

I worked in Haiti for a year, my co-worker was always hassled about his onward ticket but I never was asked. Flying into USA from Canada never asked for onward ticket.

Your country of citizenship might impact how much scrutiny you get.I was requested by Philippines Immigration for an onward ticket. I was to expire in 2 days but they gave me a month.

Kabul Guy
11-07-19, 08:29
I was requested by Philippines Immigration for an onward ticket. I was to expire in 2 days but they gave me a month.Were you on a visa renewal or was this on arrival?

Paladin30
01-12-20, 01:49
As someone having dual Japanese-Filipino citizenship and only owning passport of the former, I never had trouble with immigration / border control ever.

I have a tough time though, when leaving another country with Manila as my final destination. The check-in staff would always ask proof of my residency in the Philippines. Having no visa (because I am a citizen) nor passport (still stuck with bureaucracy), I always show them a paper issued by the PH Bureau of Immigration as proof of my citizenship. In Asian countries, they would simply nod when I present the paper, but in Europe it would take quite longer because they have never seen something like it. There was a time it took 15 minutes before they could check me in because they had to consult with their manager.

Kabul Guy
01-15-20, 00:49
As someone having dual Japanese-Filipino citizenship and only owning passport of the former, I never had trouble with immigration / border control ever.

I have a tough time though, when leaving another country with Manila as my final destination. The check-in staff would always ask proof of my residency in the Philippines. Having no visa (because I am a citizen) nor passport (still stuck with bureaucracy), I always show them a paper issued by the PH Bureau of Immigration as proof of my citizenship. In Asian countries, they would simply nod when I present the paper, but in Europe it would take quite longer because they have never seen something like it. There was a time it took 15 minutes before they could check me in because they had to consult with their manager.Do you have a Philippine driver license? It could be used as proof of residency.

I have trouble sometimes with SRRV showing indefinite period of residency, airline check in clerks are not the brightest bulbs in the aviation industry sometimes.

PilotPaul
01-15-20, 07:41

I have a tough time though, when leaving another country with Manila as my final destination. The check-in staff would always ask proof of my residency in the Philippines. Having no visa (because I am a citizen) nor passport (still stuck with bureaucracy), I always show them a paper issued by the PH Bureau of Immigration as proof of my citizenship. In Asian countries, they would simply nod when I present the paper, but in Europe it would take quite longer because they have never seen something like it. There was a time it took 15 minutes before they could check me in because they had to consult with their manager.And what would you suggest as an alternate? That check-in agents just accept the word of all passengers?