PDA

View Full Version : CD Philosophy

Frannie
09-11-15, 22:00
I was just now watching a Cuba Dave video. And he was saying that it was no good coming to Sosua looking to meet a girl to marry or take back to United States, . Because she would not be happy and the husband would acquire many dependents. . Therefore it was better just to prostitute the girls for an hour.

Although this might seem like conventional wisdom here, I can see how a lot of people would find this very offensive. After all, if the beautiful DR girls aren't good wife material, why not just walk away from them? Why recommend that other men should get into prostitution.

Well I guess he will eventually get a chance to explain his philosophy and how it serves the greater good.

Mr Gogo
09-12-15, 08:00
I was just now watching a Cuba Dave video. And he was saying that it was no good coming to Sosua looking to meet a girl to marry or take back to United States, . Because she would not be happy and the husband would acquire many dependents. . Therefore it was better just to prostitute the girls for an hour.

Although this might seem like conventional wisdom here, I can see how a lot of people would find this very offensive. After all, if the beautiful DR girls aren't good wife material, why not just walk away from them? Why recommend that other men should get into prostitution.

Well I guess he will eventually get a chance to explain his philosophy and how it serves the greater good.What I find more interesting is that you want him to explain his philosophy and you start this thread but you (someone who was / is married to a Dominicana) is reluctant to share your philosophy. This should be a topic where your expertise would apply.

I will support your thread as you have supported mine: I don't think it is very wise to bring a Dominicana back to the States, I think it is better to enjoy them in their culture in the DR. In my worldly travels one thing that comes into play is how brainwashed they are with the culture. Dominicanas are brainwashed IMO to worship the Dominicano / culture and do not adjust well to other cultures. The Asians are more submissive and are looking for a better life even if it means making the adjustment to other cultures. I find even the Colombians seek a better life as long as you can keep up the finances. I have seen first hand Dominicanas leave a good situation in the States with a foreigner and go running back to the DR to live humbly with a Dominicano and the culture. Canadians and Germans have married Dominicanas only to have them get bored in Canada and Germany and return to the DR two years later with nothing. They realize they are hooked on the culture and can't make the adjustment to other cultures.

Also the culture plays a part with the dependents. When a Dominicana tells a foreigner that he doesn't love her because he won't help her brothers and sisters financially and she can't be with him, that a problem. I agree that the foreigner should maybe help the mother but how far does the extended family go?

You ask"If the beautiful DR girls aren't wife material, why not walk away from them? Its simple, we want to fuck these beautiful girls and not marry them. Why marry a girl who can't separate from the culture for a better life?

I base my opinion on situations I have experienced in the DR when guys marry these girls. As I look around in the States I see Dominicanas married to Dominicanos, sure they might fuck a foreigner in the States but they settle down with someone in the culture. I see more successful relationships in the DR where the guy moves there and becomes a part of the culture You have first hand knowledge but are reluctant to share this part of you life and I respect that, but since you started this thread maybe you can let us into your life and share your experiences about being married to a Dominicana in the States.

Charles Pooter
09-13-15, 03:40
... the guy moves there and becomes a part of the culture.If you want to do that successfully, a lobotomy is recommended.

Mr Gogo
09-13-15, 03:56
If you want to do that successfully, a lobotomy is recommended.It's too much available pussy on the island for ME to move there and have a successful relationship with one woman but the odds are better for someone who wants one woman to move there instead of taking her to another culture. You are a prime example of someone who has moved there and and has been successfully. If you don't agree then why are you still there? You have been in the DR for many years.

Frannie
09-13-15, 04:54
What I find more interesting is that you want him to explain his philosophy and you start this thread but you (someone who was / is married to a Dominicana) is reluctant to share your philosophy. This should be a topic where your expertise would apply.

I will support your thread as you have supported mine: I don't think it is very wise to bring a Dominicana back to the States, I think it is better to enjoy them in their culture in the DR. In my worldly travels one thing that comes into play is how brainwashed they are with the culture. Dominicanas are brainwashed IMO to worship the Dominicano / culture and do not adjust well to other cultures. The Asians are more submissive and are looking for a better life even if it means making the adjustment to other cultures. I find even the Colombians seek a better life as long as you can keep up the finances. I have seen first hand Dominicanas leave a good situation in the States with a foreigner and go running back to the DR to live humbly with a Dominicano and the culture. Canadians and Germans have married Dominicanas only to have them get bored in Canada and Germany and return to the DR two years later with nothing. They realize they are hooked on the culture and can't make the adjustment to other cultures.

Also the culture plays a part with the dependents. When a Dominicana tells a foreigner that he doesn't love her because he won't help her brothers and sisters financially and she can't be with him, that a problem. I agree that the foreigner should maybe help the mother but how far does the extended family go?

You ask"If the beautiful DR girls aren't wife material, why not walk away from them? Its simple, we want to fuck these beautiful girls and not marry them. Why marry a girl who can't separate from the culture for a better life?

I base my opinion on situations I have experienced in the DR when guys marry these girls. As I look around in the States I see Dominicanas married to Dominicanos, sure they might fuck a foreigner in the States but they settle down with someone in the culture. I see more successful relationships in the DR where the guy moves there and becomes a part of the culture You have first hand knowledge but are reluctant to share this part of you life and I respect that, but since you started this thread maybe you can let us into your life and share your experiences about being married to a Dominicana in the States.Actually I did not really intend to start a new thread, but had some difficulties posting from a phone and was not able to delete the new section as I had wished.

However.

I think you have misunderstood pretty much everything I meant to say.

I don't disagree that transnational relationships can be tricky, but you just have to look around to see that plenty of people try them, some with success and some without. For example presidential candidate Jeb Bush has been married to his Mexican wife since the 1970's and from what I can make out, they are still happy together, at least from body language in photos you can find online. And he has apparently happily transitioned to speaking Spanish athome and was able to be a successful and popular two-term governor of Florida. (Not saying I like the guy, but that is another matter.) It is entirely possible that he will be the next president of the US, though at the current time his prospects look to be fading.

Not long ago I mentioned the very sad case of a beautiful young Haitian woman I knew who died recently in childbirth in the Netherlands when she was a having her second child, leaving her Dutch husband devasted and holding a small motherless child to raise. No one here commented on that.

Perhaps this is the kind of negative outcome that Cuba Dave wanted to warn against.

However, you can also see in the DR plenty of blended families with beautiful, happy children that seem to be succeeding as families. So you can make the argument whichever way you want, but clearly there are a lot of young Dominican women who leave the island to marry and try to make their way in the world, some successfully, and some not. I don't think anyone would really disagree with that point.

But from acknowledging that transnational relationships are difficult, it is quite a jump to conclude that it is better to avoid relationships and pay young women for sex by the hour in acts of prostitution, which is what Cuba Dave was doing in the video I referred to. Under President Jeb Bush could Cuba Dave expect to have diplomatic pressure exerted on behalf of his efforts to educate gullible men on the wiles of foreign women?

Why does Cuba Dave not set up educational charities to help these young women get an education, for example, instead of paying them for sex? I think we know the answer to that--his real aim is to promote prostitution and anything else he says is just cover.

It does not surprise me that people in the destination countries might find that offensive. Supposing I was to start on online business and Website where the line I wanted to promote was that men should travel from Europe to the US to find poor, uneducated African American women in the ghettoes of US cities and offer them money to fuck them for money on an hourly basis, would that not cause offense to some people in the US, maybe even powerful people like politicians, legislators, judges, and prosecutors?

I am not asking Cuba Dave to defend his philosophy here. I am just saying that at some point he will probably have the opportunity to go before a judge and explain why his Web site, videos, and books are all good and in the interest of both male tourists and their local female friends. Whether the court will agree with him or not remains to be seen. Perhaps he is very persuasive.

Everything I write about on this board comes from personal experience in one sense or another, but I have no desire to write about vulnerable people I know who are not part of the paid sex industry, so I am constrained when it comes to personal anecdotes. All I would say is that any relationship is the product of the personalities involved and that one has to be very careful about generalizing in the way that Cuba Dave does.

In my opinion, for what it is worth, Cuba Dave is not really interested in improving international relations, he just wants to promote himself and promote prostitution for profit. OK, I have never met the guy, I have just seen his Internet output, and maybe in person he is quite different from the way he appears to me. So be it. Those who wish are free to donate to his defense fund. It is their money.

Mr Gogo
09-13-15, 05:13
Actually I did not really intend to start a new thread, but had some difficulties posting from a phone and was not able to delete the new section as I had wished.

However.

I think you have misunderstood pretty much everything I meant to say.

I don't disagree that transnational relationships can be tricky, but you just have to look around to see that plenty of people try them, some with success and some without. For example presidential candidate Jeb Bush has been married to his Mexican wife since the 1970's and from what I can make out, they are still happy together, at least from body language in photos you can find online. And he has apparently happily transitioned to speaking Spanish athome and was able to be a successful and popular two-term governor of Florida. (Not saying I like the guy, but that is another matter.) It is entirely possible that he will be the next president of the US, though at the current time his prospects look to be fading.

Not long ago I mentioned the very sad case of a beautiful young Haitian woman I knew who died recently in childbirth in the Netherlands when she was a having her second child, leaving her Dutch husband devasted and holding a small motherless child to raise. No one here commented on that...Okay, your marriage to a Dominicana is something that you choose not to discuss with this board. I'm sure your expertise would help people further understand that dynamic but I also understand that it is something you don't want to share on a public forum.

With that said, I wish Cuba Dave well as he deals with the authorities and I wish you and Sir Charles well as you search for happiness in your golden years.

Frannie
09-13-15, 18:28
I would be interested to know whether people are donating to the Free Cubadave fund and how much. Didn't CD advise against sending Western Union money overseas to people with hard luck stories?

Henley100
09-14-15, 00:06
I would be interested to know whether people are donating to the Free Cubadave fund and how much. Didn't CD advise against sending Western Union money overseas to people with hard luck stories?Frannie, I like you well enough. You are very helpful, even answered some of my questions once upon a time. But your focus on CD's troubles is coming off as almost gleeful. I just don't get it. If you don't like him, fine. But being joyful about a guy being thrown in prison in a foreign country for something as weak and innocuous as Facebook postings makes no sense.

Frannie
09-14-15, 13:22
Frannie, I like you well enough. You are very helpful, even answered some of my questions once upon a time. But your focus on CD's troubles is coming off as almost gleeful. I just don't get it. If you don't like him, fine. But being joyful about a guy being thrown in prison in a foreign country for something as weak and innocuous as Facebook postings makes no sense.I sympathize with anyone thrown into prison, including in the United States, where the prisons are also pretty unpleasant. In the past, I have worked in such places and spent many a long hour behind bars.

I am not sure of the details of what Cubadave is being charged with, so I will hold fire on that one. People have been imprisoned for Facebook or Twitter postings before, for example in England, so that is nothing new.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/mar/27/student-jailed-fabrice-muamba-tweets

However the fact remains that Cubadave must have known the risks he was taking, but decided to continue to promote what he apparently believes in anyway. Hopefully he will eventually be able to put forward his side of the argument.

I still think it is interesting that Cubadave also has an invisible business partner who has access to change the content of his cubadave.com Web site and start an appeal for his defense in which it is claimed that all money collected will be used for his defense. How many casual Facebook posters can say the same? It seems to me that the person making these posts could provide a lot more detailed information about what is going on, if he really wanted to.

I don't see what is wrong with asking whether posters on this board have contributed to the fund and how much. It is just interesting.

Just for the record, I don't really agree with a central position of the Cubadave philosophy which is that it is best to travel to destinations like the DR and CR just to rent girls bodies by the hour. Over more than a decade of travel to such destinations, I have had three long term relationships, which has proved to be immeasurably rewarding, and have occasionally used paid sexual encounters to fulfill various fantasies, exhaust curiosity, experience sexual liberation, and so on. In my opinion these long term relationships have been of much greater value to me than any brief encounters. In my opinion the real value to travel to such destinations is the potential for longer term relationships. Of course I am not saying that it is a good idea to try to turn bar prostitutes into wives, any more than I would recommend courting a stripper in the US. Such individuals will nearly always come with far too much baggage. However, once you visit these countries and get a grasp of the language, there is a lot of potential for meeting interesting women.

Dickhead
09-14-15, 21:24
The Free Cuba Dave website says he is a construction worker. But he himself said he did not have to work because he made money just being who he was. I'm just sayin'. Bit of a contradiction there.

But I don't agree with Frannie that Latin America is a good place to go looking for long-term relationships, either. Happy for him he has found three that worked. Most of the guys I know who've married or had long term relationships with latinas have regretted they ever met them. Not just talking about (former?) hooker either.

Hopefully not too many people are experiencing schadenfreude about what has happened to Cuba Dave.

Frannie
09-15-15, 01:54
But I don't agree with Frannie that Latin America is a good place to go looking for long-term relationships, either. Happy for him he has found three that worked. But then neither is North America by all accounts, especially if you listen to contemporary popular music. Not a lot of moon in June. I have been with my current girl for some years and could not be happier. The thing about Latin America is that there are lots of very attractive younger women who willing to have relationships with older men. In North America not so much so, I would say.

If I were in prison in Latin America, I think I would rather have a local novia to stop by after church on Sundays than not. But that is just me. I don't have blog followers to sustain me, so it is different.

Frannie
09-15-15, 01:58
The Free Cuba Dave website says he is a construction worker. But he himself said he did not have to work because he made money just being who he was. I'm just sayin'. Bit of a contradiction there.It would be interesting to know how much he makes per month from the blog activities. Of course at 65 he may also be drawing Social Security, and may have a pension from the military or from employment, or from a 401 K or something of that kind. Of course the imprisonment may be a goldmine if vast contributions pour in. I seem to remember that George Zimmerman netted more than 100 K without being particularly appealing.

MelowDownEasy
09-15-15, 03:30

Well I guess he will eventually get a chance to explain his philosophy and how it serves the greater good.This will be a big story when it hits CNN or whatever. First of its kind. Hope they don't send news crews down to report in front of SL or DR. I've made 8 trips to DR and 5 I think to CR. A lot of people at work know & family, friends. I mean rain forest and beach trips. I'm divorced so who cares. Covers are going to be blown. I can see the female reporters on CNN now, its going to be fun.

Dickhead
09-15-15, 08:08
Of course at 65 he may also be drawing Social SecurityWell, that will stop if he's incarcerated after conviction of a felony. So, in this case the Byzantine nature of the Napoleonic system may work in his favor.

Charles Pooter
09-15-15, 14:34
Most of the guys I know who've married or had long term relationships with latinas have regretted they ever met them. Not just talking about (former?) hookers either.Very true, but it may be that they are the sort of guys who would fuck up long-term relationships anywhere, and the reason they have gone to Latin America or the Caribbean is that they could not make relationships "stick" in their own countries. For example, I was twice married and twice divorced in the UK. Had either of those marriages lasted I would not have had the incentive, the opportunity, or the money to holiday abroad alone.

I know lots of guys here in the DR who have had failed long-term relationships with local girls. They include alcoholics, drug-addicts, bullies, serial philanderers and crushing bores, so it is not all down to the failings of the chicas.

Yanqui69
09-15-15, 15:14
The Free Cuba Dave website says he is a construction worker. But he himself said he did not have to work because he made money just being who he was. I'm just sayin'. Bit of a contradiction there.

But I don't agree with Frannie that Latin America is a good place to go looking for long-term relationships, either. Happy for him he has found three that worked. Most of the guys I know who've married or had long term relationships with latinas have regretted they ever met them. Not just talking about (former?) hooker either.

Hopefully not too many people are experiencing schadenfreude about what has happened to Cuba Dave."Most of the guys I know who've married or had long term relationships with latinas have regretted they ever met them. Not just talking about (former?) hooker either. ".

As someone else stated, a lot may have to do with the guys, too.

"Latinas" is a very broad term, and they are as different as the countries that make up Latin America.

In general, I would highly recommend latinas as wife material, as they are typically very home / family oriented.

They often have a very romantic, passionate nature, and have more abundant figures than the typical Asian.

Granted, it depends on the woman, and where you found her.

Like all human beings, each is an individual, and there are exceptions, but overall, I think they make great wife material.
The majority of the guys I have known married to latinas have been very happy.

Dickhead
09-15-15, 16:40
It is true that "latina" is a broad term, but I've been to every Latin country except three now, so I feel free to generalize. One of the reasons they don't make good LT material is they seldom contribute anything to the unit from an economic standpoint, and usually drain off money for their typically numerous relatives and family problems. I recommend a medium-term approach by cycling through them every six months or so to rinse one's self of the financial obligations.

But, of course, I'm an alcoholic, a drug addict, and a serial philander so take that into consideration.

Yanqui69
09-15-15, 17:22
It is true that "latina" is a broad term, but I've been to every Latin country except three now, so I feel free to generalize. One of the reasons they don't make good LT material is they seldom contribute anything to the unit from an economic standpoint, and usually drain off money for their typically numerous relatives and family problems. I recommend a medium-term approach by cycling through them every six months or so to rinse one's self of the financial obligations.

But, of course, I'm an alcoholic, a drug addict, and a serial philander so take that into consideration.As they say, "it depends. ".

A latina brought to the US lacking any English ability or job skills will be primarily a housewife, but as such, they are excellent.

Until they get "Americanized" they are happy with much less than the average "gringa" demands.

(Are you marrying the woman for her financial contribution?)

If the woman is well educated, or more ambitious, she may well want to work outside the home.

Really depends on the social and economic level the woman comes from.

The descriptions of family needing financial support, etc, implies a woman from a lower economic / social class.

Of course, anyone considering marriage (hopefully) would know about her background, family before doing the deed.

Dickhead
09-15-15, 19:26
Even if she is upper class and has a good job, that is "her" money. That has been my experience. Most non-latino men are, indeed, going to be in relationships with lower-middle class or lower class latinas, because those are the ones who are more accepting of an older guy. This is based on my experience living in and seeing these relationships (not my own) in Argentina, Colombia, Panamá, Costa Rica, México, and Guatemala. In addition to women from these countries, I have observed guys in relationships with peruanas and ecuatorianas. And, as always, there are exceptions. I have not observed these relationships in the context of the man bringing the woman to the USA Or any of the other non-Latin American countries I have lived in (UK, Germany, and Spain).

MS Clive
09-16-15, 00:51
CubaDave may be an idiot but he is our idiot. I just tried donating to him via paypal but got a message on paypal that my payment would be on hold for few days to review if it complied with Government regulations. WTF.

Bimmy6
09-16-15, 00:56
This will be a big story when it hits CNN or whatever. First of its kind. Hope they don't send news crews down to report in front of SL or DR. I've made 8 trips to DR and 5 I think to CR. A lot of people at work know & family, friends. I mean rain forest and beach trips. I'm divorced so who cares. Covers are going to be blown. I can see the female reporters on CNN now, its going to be fun.If anyone from CNN comes to SL or the HDR it won't be to report news. There is no story here except for those who know who this guy is. He is not significant. He is a bum who is getting what he deserves. It makes no difference what laws they use. He was doing things he shouldn't have been doing and people got hurt and the host nations didn't like it.

Questner
09-16-15, 03:50
CubaDave may be an idiot but he is our idiot. I just tried donating to him via paypal but got a message on paypal that my payment would be on hold for few days to review if it complied with Government regulations. WTF.The right way is to post his lawyer's contact information.

Member #4351
09-16-15, 15:59
A little off topic, but does anyone know how one can set up a webpage for taking credit card payments? A very nice girl here in Lima who many members have spent pleasant time with has cancer and no insurance. I'm sure a lot of guys who know her would like to help out, but there is a big difference in making a SWIFT bank transfer or just clicking on a "Visa" link.

Manizales911
09-16-15, 18:00
If anyone from CNN comes to SL or the HDR it won't be to report news. There is no story here except for those who know who this guy is. He is not significant. He is a bum who is getting what he deserves. It makes no difference what laws they use. He was doing things he shouldn't have been doing and people got hurt and the host nations didn't like it.First, let me say that I think that you are an a-hole. Second, people got hurt? Who the hell did he hurt?

Yanqui69
09-16-15, 18:13
A little off topic, but does anyone know how one can set up a webpage for taking credit card payments? A very nice girl here in Lima who many members have spent pleasant time with has cancer and no insurance. I'm sure a lot of guys who know her would like to help out, but there is a big difference in making a SWIFT bank transfer or just clicking on a "Visa" link.The fastest, least problematic method would be money transfers via Xoom.

I checked and they can send money to banks and other offices in Peru (check their website).

Payment can be made directly from one's bank or by credit card.

Bimmy6
09-16-15, 22:05
First, let me say that I think that you are an a-hole. Second, people got hurt? Who the hell did he hurt?I can't believe that would stick up for this guy or would be shallow enough to ask that. The owners of the places that first ran him out of CR got so many complaints from the girls that work there it was ridiculous. I was there when this was happening.

MelowDownEasy
09-16-15, 23:55
The right way is to post his lawyer's contact information.CD goes in front of judge again Nov 11th. Also http://keysnews.com/node/69647

Frannie
09-17-15, 04:05
CD goes in front of judge again Nov 11th. Also http://keysnews.com/node/69647Interesting little article, and quite well written. Apparently Cuba Dave is saying that he is more into the general business of promoting foreign travel for single men rather than promoting prostitution, which he sees as a necessary evil, but not one that he personally particularly endorses--perish the thought. I knew there was good in him, if only one looked for it. However I wonder why his Web sites and book sales have been taken down, as they could be useful evidence for his defense.

John Gault
09-17-15, 15:31
I have seen most Cuba Daves videos, and I must say they were very entertaining, and also had good intel. I have never even once found fault with any of the advice he gave. Now if a newbe did watch one of his presentations than he would have a good leg up on how to operate in the subject matter Dave provided.

I think a lesson can be learned from this incident. Lets look at the thread that announces when we are visiting a monger location. You are giving the date, and location of your travel plans. Lets say you use a handle like mine, John Gault. How hard would it be for these creeps who work for these governments to see how many men with the first name of John from say the USA are on the plane for the location you have given them. If you are a poster like myself who has done many detailed trip reports then how far are my comments are from what got CD put in a horrible prison? Just food for thought gentlemen, but in the unlikely event that you find yourself in a Latin American hell hole of a prison then you would be one very sick pup.

As far as Dave I wish him all the best, and hope he somehow gets himself out of this mess.

Dickhead
09-17-15, 15:51
Or figure out which guys collect stamps (Gault) or read Ayn Rand (Galt). And let's not forget to erase our browsing histories before we travel! Of course, my handle is pretty anonymous since you pretty much run across a bunch of dickheads anywhere you go, but they could sure correlate my posts, and where they were from, with some data base or another. A lot of us, including me, probably need to be more careful.

MS Clive
09-17-15, 19:55
The right way is to post his lawyer's contact information.Finally the payment got cleared without event from Paypal. And the FBI has not arrested me yet.

Bimmy6
09-17-15, 21:51
I think everyone is missing the most important statement in this article. Cuba Dave was arrested for the law that states that it is illegal for a 3rd party to profit off prostitution. It has nothing to do with free speech or any violation of basic rights. This law specifically was to make pimping illegal but there are other ways for a 3rd party to profit off prostitution. There is going to be some kind of trial but I can see how this law can be interpreted to imply that Cuba Dave violated it.

But in the meantime this in no way effects the rest of us who do nothing to make any profit. I do not know what the situation with boards like this might be, but people who just post here or people who just travel to enjoy CR do not appear to be of any interest to CR authorities because of this arrest. Thus the arrest is specific to Cuba Dave not the scene itself.

Frannie
09-18-15, 03:45
I think everyone is missing the most important statement in this article. Cuba Dave was arrested for the law that states that it is illegal for a 3rd party to profit off prostitution. It has nothing to do with free speech or any violation of basic rights. This law specifically was to make pimping illegal but there are other ways for a 3rd party to profit off prostitution. There is going to be some kind of trial but I can see how this law can be interpreted to imply that Cuba Dave violated it.

But in the meantime this in no way effects the rest of us who do nothing to make any profit. I do not know what the situation with boards like this might be, but people who just post here or people who just travel to enjoy CR do not appear to be of any interest to CR authorities because of this arrest. Thus the arrest is specific to Cuba Dave not the scene itself.Of course this is right. There is a difference between discreetly contributing free copy in the form of opinions and using your opinions to attempt to persuade people to patronize prostitution-related businesses, some of which may pay to advertise on your blog or Facebook page, and promoting yourself as a kind of role model. That is the issue, although some people do not see it that way.

Yanqui69
09-18-15, 15:24

But in the meantime this in no way effects the rest of us who do nothing to make any profit. I do not know what the situation with boards like this might be, but people who just post here or people who just travel to enjoy CR do not appear to be of any interest to CR authorities because of this arrest. Thus the arrest is specific to Cuba Dave not the scene itself.Not sure precisely how CD came to the attention of the CR authorities, but it would be good to know.

Sparked by this incident, I did just a quick, superficial search, and discovered there are multiple sites that could be interpreted as "profiting" from sex tourism in that country. IFTC and CR Ticas, just to start. And on the latter site, there are advertisements for hotels, tours, even a dentist. Could an aggressive prosecutor claim such ads and businesses profit?

The hotels sure as hell do, but there seems to be no legal pressure there. (CR-savvy mongers might correct me on that, I dunno).

How does one prosecute a blogger for writing about the sex trade there, and permit hotels / bars and and a variety of parlors to base their business on the trade?

Regardless of how local legal authorities use their discretion on who to target, it is just good sense to keep a low profile, remain anonymous with the use of nicknames versus real names, etc.

If an entity like the FBI want to nail you (as they do, rightly, for those exploiting minors) by using your online activity, they will. But countries like CR are unlikely to be able to detain or prosecute anyone purely on the basis of posted travel plans or postings using a nickname on a forum like this. The day they start busting the mongers in the local hotels and bars is the day to fear, but I suspect too much revenue would be lost.

Discretion is always a good idea. Staying under / off the radar is the safest plan.

If CD had used only a nickname, posting about his travels without parading his real name / face all over the net, he'd be okay.

I suspect he was just "low hanging fruit" for an ambitious prosecutor wanting to earn points.

Carrying a computer with incriminating material is not a good idea; as easy as opening a briefcase to view the contents.

We don't need to get paranoid, but I offer the following tip. Using the Google Chrome browser, under Options, one can select the 'Incognito' window. When closing out, it drops the browsing history, cookies, etc.

John Gault
09-18-15, 16:05

But in the meantime this in no way effects the rest of us who do nothing to make any profit. I do not know what the situation with boards like this might be, but people who just post here or people who just travel to enjoy CR do not appear to be of any interest to CR authorities because of this arrest. Thus the arrest is specific to Cuba Dave not the scene itself.My post was really about this board.

Travel Announcements (No questions or comments please).

Of course it is a longshot that they will bother a regular Monger, but my point is why put a target on yourself by giving them your travel plans. It really does not matter if your handle does not give your real first name. For example in say a flight to MGA which has few Gringos on it. They could look very cloesly at non Nico's on that flight. If they look at the boards, and see a poster giving all kinds of info then see he is coming to town then you are gift wrapping yourself.

I play percentages, and even if it is a 1,000 to one of getting stopped by these Clowns I opt to not give them any edge on me.

If you want people to know you are in Country then do a trip report, and ask if anyone wants to meet for a drink. At least they can't locate you that way.

Qualude
09-21-15, 11:55
QCOSTARICA The American arrested for promoting sex tourism in Costa Rica is reaching out to his followers from prison, the San Sebastian detention centre (jail) in San Jose.

On the website, Cubadave.com, a post on behalf of David Strecker explains that the alleged sex promoter is being held "indefinitely and without trial" and despite Dave's advanced age (65 years old), has been confined to an overcrowed prison cell and forced to sleep on a concrete floor.

"Prosecutors have yet to bring formal charges," says the website, explaining that prosecutors may do so in two months, when he is scheduled to appear again before a judge.

"Given the outcome of his last hearing, it's clear that the legal battle will be a lengthy and costly one. A new attorney is trying to have Dave released pending trial," is the plea for financial support.

The website says that the money raised so far doesn't even cover his initial expenses, saying 100 percent of the money collected will go to his defense and hopefully his release.

Was David Strecker aka Cuba Dave promoting sex tourism in Costa Rica? One "mongers forum" says, "Maybe. He's mostly promoting himself and his travels. But much of what is being focused on here leads to confusion because the activity he's accused of promoting is perfectly legal to engage in within Costa Rica, says Jonesie at the Monger Network.

Doker44
09-24-15, 22:41
If Dave's servers were being hosted in the States and if he wrote his posts and articles from the States CR essentially arrested an American citizen for violating THEIR law while on American soil. Maybe he was stirring up business while there but with all the other hotels etc, this is a pure set up that happens in all these 3rd world shit holes

Sure no country wants to be known for sex tourism but that is their problem not ours and they could do a lot more about it if they desired. Dave was a douchbag that was warned several times but he is still a god damn American!

Member #4398
10-25-15, 21:16
http://www.cubadave.com/cubadave-update-november-court/ this thread has been very quiet. The cubadave website has a recent update. According to the site, he continues to be in jail, his mother passed away and he won't be able to attend the funeral, he has and upcoming hearing in November, and the site is trying to get donation for his legal troubles. Hope the best for the guy and that his troubles get resolved soon.

Cerebro

MS Clive
11-12-15, 06:35
I had donated to Cubadave's defense fund. So his lawyer sent me an update which I am sharing with you:

Good Evening.

I would like to take an opportunity to thank you for your contribution to Dave's legal defense. A recent donation of $500 was especially appreciated as it filled in the last funds that we needed to pay his current legal bill of $1,625.

Dave sends his most sincere thanks to every one of the 78 individuals who have made a donation so far. Every amount, even small donations have made it possible for Dave to mount a real legal defense. Indeed, the scope of the legal arguments presented in court have come as a surprise to prosecutors, who thought that had as an easy target a man of very limited financial resources.

Some many question the price of the legal defense. However, all those involved think Dave is getting a good deal from the law firm of NCC Abogados. He is represented by both a criminal defense attorney and an attorney practicing constitutional law. He also has bilingual and accurate courtroom interpretation, which is difficult to receive in Costa Rica.

Right now the criminal defense is the priority to keep the pressure on the government to either go to trial or do the right thing, and release Dave from prison while his case is pending. However, in recent days it has become clear that a constitutional defense is indeed very likely, as both the female judge and female prosecutor in his case are acting without regard to Dave's human rights.

It is unfortunate that Dave will have to spend the holidays in prison. We will keep you updated to his progress and appreciate your continued support.

On Behalf of Dave [Name deleted by Admin].

Member #4398
11-29-15, 23:27
Here is another Cuba Dave update from Tico Times News. I hope the guy gets release soon. The article from Tico Times is bellow and the link is at http://www.ticotimes.net/2015/11/25/costa-rica-sex-promoter-cuba-dave-remains-in-prison:.

"David Strecker, aka "Cuba Dave," had a private hearing on Monday in this San José courtroom, where judges decided to extend his preventive detention sentence until Jan. 2, 2016. Lindsay Fendt / The Tico Times.

David Strecker, the 65-year-old USA Man arrested in September under Costa Rica's little-known "Sex Tourism Law," will remain in preventive detention in a San José prison until at least Jan. 2, 2016, according to a court ruling handed down Monday in an appellate hearing.

Strecker, known widely by his nickname "Cuba Dave," is the first person in the country's history to be arrested under the 2013 law that calls for punishment of anyone who promotes or carries out programs that prop up Costa Rica as a destination for sexual tourism.

Tatiana Vargas, a spokeswoman for the Prosecutor's Office, told The Tico Times that Strecker's extended detention is a "preventive measure" to make sure he does not flee the country while the criminal investigation against him continues.

"The criminal case began after it was found that the suspect had made various Internet publications in which he apparently invited other North Americans to visit Costa Rica, indicating that the prostitution services are easy to acquire here," Vargas said via email on Wednesday.

Under the moniker "Cuba Dave," Strecker created a website that recounted his stories from his sex-fueled excursions in Costa Rica and other Latin American destinations, as well as pictures of women dressed in nothing more than bikinis who were apparently prostitutes, and videos in which Strecker would give advice to his followers on the best places to stay in San José.

A screenshot from an archived home page of www.cubadave.com. The domain now serves as a fundraiser for Strecker's legal defense funds.

In a 2012 article archived on the website, Strecker tells the story of how a Colombian girl named "Judy" persuaded him into going to Campo Alegre Resort in Curacao, a Caribbean island north of Venezuela. Strecker details in the blog entry, titled "Campo Alegre an adventure to forget about," that his experience on the island was tainted by high hotel prices and women that didn't meet his physical standards.

"When Judy was working I would walk the grounds and chat with the available girls and found that they were willing to perform for much less than the standard price but of the 120 advertised girls I probably seen a total of 40 girls and very few that were even a 5 or 6," Strecker wrote.

On the first comment under the story, a commenter named Mavrick says, "Thanks for the heads up ill stay away from that one. I took your advice on CR and it was right so now I'm taking your advice on sosua. Ill be down there the last week of this month. Hope to see you down there!

Strecker is currently being held in San Sebastian prison, one of the country's most overcrowded detention centers located just south of San José. At the hearing on Monday, Strecker's attorney, Alfredo Núñez, told The Tico Times that he would not comment on the case.

In a possible criminal trial, Strecker could face four to eight years in jail, according to the previously untested law, which is filed under Article 162 bis of Costa Rica's [CodeWord908] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord908) Law."

Member #4398
05-22-16, 18:38
The Cubadave thread has been pretty dead quiet. Well, I am posting here some updates for those still interested in this saga.

Here is the latest posted on his website: http://www.cubadave.com/.

He was moved from the San Sebastian sex offender facility to another facility for elderly people. It has been more than 8 months already and the Saga continues.

Here is the excerpt of an article from the ticotimes on March 22,2016 http://www.ticotimes.net/2016/03/22/jailed-costa-rica-sex-tourist-cuba-dave-im-a-political-prisoner.

Crime.

Jailed Costa Rica sex tourist Cuba Dave: 'I'm a political prisoner'.

Michael Krumholtz.

March 22.

Costa Rica sex tourist Cuba Dave in La Reforma prison.

David Strecker, aka "Cuba Dave," speaks to The Tico Times from La Reforma prison in Alajuela, Costa Rica, on March 18,2016.

Lindsay Fendt / The Tico Times.

Update: Tuesday, 12:35 pm In a right of reply to this story, Daniel Woodall Zimmer said he has never been associated with David Strecker. See the entire right of reply below.

Original story:

Florida native David Strecker, who goes by the moniker "Cuba Dave," has a story from when he was in the sex offender's block at San Sebastiáand prison in Costa Rica's capital, San José. One of the inmates went around asking the other prisoners why they were behind bars.

"They said I raped a minor," one inmate said.

"I killed my two children because they wouldn't stop crying," another confessed.

"I had a website," Strecker said.

Wearing a white Imperial beer tank top that reveals a New York Yankees logo tattooed on his upper right shoulder, and a matching Yankees cap that hides his whitening hair, Strecker told the story from the courtyard of the senior wing of La Reforma Correctional Center, a prison north of the capital where he was transferred on Feb. 10.

Beginning in 2005, "Cuba Dave" gained notoriety in San José's sex tourism scene after websites and social media accounts donning his brand offered advice on the area's bars and hotels that cater to prostitution, which is legal in Costa Rica. Through a book and blogs on other Latin American and Caribbean sex tourism destinations like the Dominican Republic and Cuba, Strecker's erotic adventures earned him Internet fame and a steady following of curious, and envious, male admirers.

He was arrested by Costa Rican authorities on Sept. 4, 2015 at Juan Santamaría International Airport under suspicion of violating a law that prohibits promoting the country as a destination for sex tourism.

Strecker still awaits a possible trial that could land him in prison for up to eight years if he is found guilty.

From sex tourist to sleeping by a urinal.

In a recent interview with The Tico Times from La Reforma, Strecker called himself a "political prisoner" and claimed he's being discriminated against because he's from the United States.

"This is a country where if you happen to say the wrong thing, you're going to end up paying for it," Strecker said. "Truthfully, I really believe I'm just being made an example of. ".

Like most other prisoners, the 65-year-old Strecker says he doesn't belong in jail. He recalled the dismal conditions at the overcrowded San Sebastian prison, where during his five months of preventive prison he said he slept on cold concrete with his head next to a urinal.

After continued protest from the defense team, judges agreed to transfer Strecker to La Reforma's senior wing, Strecker's attorney Alfredo Andúñez said. Under the Costa Rican penal code, prisoners aged 65 or older are supposed to spend their time behind bars at La Reforma's special area for seniors.

Andúñez told The Tico Times last month that Costa Rica has a problematic trend in its preventive prison system, which is applied to persons under investigation and foreigners like Cuba Dave who are thought to be flight risks.

"The illegality to me of preventive prison is when the judges choose to put a person in preventive prison and fail to take into account that person's rights," andúñez said.

Strecker said the decent conditions at La Reforma's Senior Correctional Center compared to dismal San Sebastian are night and day.

Lindsay Fendt / The Tico Times.

No trial date has been set for Strecker's case. A spokeswoman from the Prosecutor's Office said the government is still readying evidence and focusing on a hard drive confiscated from Strecker the day he was arrested.

The Prosecutor's Office has declined to comment on the actual investigation or a potential trial, and would not say who filed the criminal complaint against Strecker.

Thousands of photos.

Strecker said he carved out his niche in the legal sex scene in Costa Rica as a photographer, amassing thousands of photos he took of prostitutes with their consent.

"I didn't make prostitution legal," he said. "It's here. These people created this."

In preliminary hearings, prosecutors have focused on a pair of blog posts taken from the domain www.cubadave.com that they believe illegally advertised San José as a pay-for-sex destination, according to Strecker.

Strecker said he never posted anything to the cubadave.com website, and that he didn't even know it existed until a prison guard in San Sebastian showed him the page. The content of cubadave.com was deleted shortly after Strecker's arrest, and the page is now dedicated to giving updates about his case and soliciting donations for his legal defense.

Besides saying that Strecker wasn't involved with the website, his defense team also claims to have evidence that Strecker never posted anything to the Cuba Dave Facebook page, from which prosecutors are also gathering evidence in the case, Andúñez said.

Former partners Daniel Woodhall and Henry Allen were in charge of the Cuba Dave Facebook page and website, Strecker said, adding that he was a face for the recognizable brand that updated followers on Strecker's apparent conquests in Costa Rica and other Latin American countries.

In a right of reply sent to The Tico Times on Tuesday, following the publication of this story, Woodhall said, "I have never been associated with Mr. Strecker or the activities of Mr. Strecker in publications on social media or websites."

Strecker said YouTube videos in which he was seen discussing the state of affairs in the prostitution-friendly bars and hotels in San José's downtown area known as "Gringo Gulch" were purposefully vague and never mentioned specific women. The videos were meant to advise men against going to places in unsafe neighborhoods and warn of common pitfalls, Strecker said.

"Every single thing I'm being charged with is legal," he said. "They should actually be patting me on the back for warning some of the guys about this stuff."

Lawmakers who helped sponsor the [CodeWord908] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord908) Law, which includes the prohibition against promoting sex tourism, have said that the law is designed to not only protect the country's image, but also to deter any trafficking organizations that are linked to prostitution. Specifically, the law prohibits promoting Costa Rica "as an accessible tourist destination for the exploitation of sexual commerce or for the prostitution of persons of any sex or age."

It is unclear whether or not prosecutors intend to accuse Strecker of being linked to [CodeWord908] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord908).

Strecker is quick to point out that he didn't profit from the Cuba Dave media franchise and that hotel owners sponsored their businesses for free on his sites.

As one of the most recognizable figures in the sex tourism world, Strecker's extended stay in preventive prison and possible conviction could deter his former readers and other sex tourists from entering Costa Rica, he said.

"This is going to be a landmark case and I think it's the worst thing that could happen to the tourist industry," Strecker said. "Gringos might be scared to come here."

Strecker was called to an appellate hearing last Thursday where he declined to appeal his preventive prison sentence. He said that when he entered the hearing he was optimistic a plea bargain would be reached and that he denied the appeal because of monetary concerns.

He has used thousands of dollars donated through his website to cover his lawyer bills, as well as financial help from friends and owners of gentlemen's hotels, he said.

Strecker said he plans to write a book about his experiences in prison and produce a video to explain to followers what has happened since his arrest. He said if he is freed, he'll go directly to the airport.

Cuba Dave also said not only was there no indication from authorities that he was entering a gray area of the law, but that he had been encouraged by locals to promote sex tourism.

"Ticos that knew me and that lived here looked at me as a guy who was going to help them out," he said.

Lou32
11-18-16, 01:48
Dave got five years in prison this week.

It will be a while before he gets back to the USA.