PDA

View Full Version : CBX (Cross Border Xpress)

Phordphan
02-18-16, 08:10
A certain Major Tom, late of Ground Control, suggested a post on this subject, just in case somebody here was contemplating flying out of TIJ.

First, as somebody else said, if you have SENTRI it's much cheaper to park at Ticuan, cab / Uber to the airport, cab / Uber back to Ticuan and drive across. However, if that isn't an option for you, read on.

I connected online with an old friend about whom I wrote in one, or the other, of these forums (fora?) back in 2007. She's living in Tuxtla Gutierrez and I arranged a visit. I guess I should get off my ass and write a TR about it. So, I decided to TOFTT and use CBX, just to see what it was like.

First, buy your tickets to CBX online. Buy a bi-directional ticket. It's $12 each direction, and you can buy a North-South ticket, a South-North ticket or a round-trip. You can buy it in advance or you can buy it from an automated kiosk there. It's faster to just buy it and print it.

You get to the place by taking the 905 to the Brittania exit. Go south on Brittania to Siempre Viva. Follow the signs, as it's pretty well marked. I believe there is also a shuttle available at SAN.

The parking signage is absolutely worthless. The web site just says that long-term parking is available, but nothing else. Here's the skinny. You pull up to the arm, take a ticket and enter the parking lot. This is the short term lot. It's $16 for the first 24 hour period. It's $16 per each subsequent 24 hour period, OR ANY PORTION THEREOF. So, 48 hours and 5 minutes? $48. These tickets can be inserted into any of several auto-pay machines around the lot, and all credit cards are accepted.

Long term is there, but not intuitive, nor marked. If it's your first time, and you're in a hurry due to insane traffic (don't ask!) you may not have time to figure it out. Take the ticket you just got at the entrance, drive to the front of the lot, make sort of left you-turn, go all the way to the back of the lot and you'll see another gate arm. Drive up to it, insert your "regular" ticket and it will spit out a long-term ticket and let you into the LT lot. You must pay for LT at the exit gate, you can't use an auto-pay machine.

Once inside you can check in at the counter. The Mexican airlines are represented there, in my case Mexicana. Check in, hand them your passport, etc. , and get your boarding pass. Then proceed to the escalators. The crossing ticket kiosks are near the escalator. A guard will scan your crossing ticket and let you pass. Up the escalator, hike across the bridge, and down onto the Mexican side. You'll come to the passport control section where (if you're lucky) a pretty lady will look at your passport, ask where you are going and how long you plan to stay, then she'll stamp your passport and put your "visa" (a slip of paper) into it.

Once out onto the ground floor, follow the signs. They are a bit confusing, there are usually guards to ask, but I still had to ask a lady at a food stall. The long and winding road takes you "outside" to the departure level of the airport. You'll walk all the way to the end, past all the vendors, to the entrance where you would normally go to the airline check-in counter. But you're already checked in, so head all the way back the way you came (but inside the airport) to the gates. They'll check your boarding pass and x-ray your sorry ass.

Upon return, the first thing to do is to KEEP YOUR BOARDING PASS. Collect your luggage, follow the signs and retrace your steps. At the entrance to the CBX portion you will be stopped and they will scan your CBX ticket and your boarding pass. If you don't have it you'll be arrested and you'll spend the remainder of your days in La Mesa. Well, I'm not sure about the last part but I'm pretty sure it'll be a major PITA to prove you just flew in.

After hiking back across you'll come to US customs. They accept your passport or your SENTRI. These guys don't appear to have a lot to do and I think this is the plum assignment if you're a CBP agent.

Find your car, hit the road. What could be easier?

WombatEd2
05-11-16, 07:21
When we got to the Mexican immigration station, the bozo working there screwed up and it took quite a while to straighten it out.

We told the immigration officer that we were staying for two weeks, but on my wife's form, he wrote down four days. When we discovered the error, it meant that my wife had to go back and pay for a visa. But the guy who was supposed to collect this fee wouldn't accept our payment until we corrected the error on the form, and the guy who made the error wouldn't correct it until we paid the fee. It was his mistake, but the lazy, arrogant asshole didn't know how to fix it.

In all other respects, the CBX worked quite well for us. So I'm just saying, if you have a plane to catch, it might pay to get to the CBX four hours before your departure time.

Sound7
09-06-19, 20:35
https://smartbordercoalition.com/border-wait-times

NGO with UCSD / CPB BWT App is on track to implement in the near future.

https://smartbordercoalition.com/border-wait-time

LuvMexicanas
03-24-21, 16:36
A certain Major Tom, late of Ground Control, suggested a post on this subject, just in case somebody here was contemplating flying out of TIJ.

First, as somebody else said, if you have SENTRI it's much cheaper to park at Ticuan, cab / Uber to the airport, cab / Uber back to Ticuan and drive across. However, if that isn't an option for you, read on.

I connected online with an old friend about whom I wrote in one, or the other, of these forums (fora?) back in 2007. She's living in Tuxtla Gutierrez and I arranged a visit. I guess I should get off my ass and write a TR about it. So, I decided to TOFTT and use CBX, just to see what it was like.

First, buy your tickets to CBX online. Buy a bi-directional ticket. It's $12 each direction, and you can buy a North-South ticket, a South-North ticket or a round-trip. You can buy it in advance or you can buy it from an automated kiosk there. It's faster to just buy it and print it.

You get to the place by taking the 905 to the Brittania exit. Go south on Brittania to Siempre Viva. Follow the signs, as it's pretty well marked. I believe there is also a shuttle available at SAN.

The parking signage is absolutely worthless. The web site just says that long-term parking is available, but nothing else. Here's the skinny. You pull up to the arm, take a ticket and enter the parking lot. This is the short term lot. It's $16 for the first 24 hour period. It's $16 per each subsequent 24 hour period, OR ANY PORTION THEREOF. So, 48 hours and 5 minutes? $48. These tickets can be inserted into any of several auto-pay machines around the lot, and all credit cards are accepted..Has anyone recently used CBX? Please tell me they've made some process improvements and that it's now easier than the above described shitshow.

Phordphan
03-24-21, 22:15
Has anyone recently used CBX? Please tell me they've made some process improvements and that it's now easier than the above described shitshow.Well, yes. That post is almost 5 years old. There is no more "Long Term" parking on-site. It's all the same, and all the same (high) price. Better long term options exist in the vicinity, and they will drive you to CBX. But they aren't as convenient.

The check in is the same. You can buy your CBX ticket on-site or on their web site. Some airlines will allow you to buy it along with your ticket.

The portion past the entrance "gate" is all built out now. Lots of "duty free" shopping to walk thorough. You enter one end of the "store" and exit the other. It's all pretty intuitive now.

At the end you still go downstairs into the passport control area where you will be made to get an FMM. Free for 7 days or less, $30 (or whatever) for longer stays. You'll have wanted to fill out your FMM when you first arrived at CBX. Then here at passport control you'll either have the agent validate it, or pay and then have it validated.

Once through passport control you'll still be dumped into the "arrivals" section and you'll have to walk "around" to the left to the departures entrance where you check your luggage. You'll have checked your luggage at the other side when you entered CBX so you can skip these lines. Your boarding pass and your passport will be checked again. I've heard rumors that they might be modifying this portion, as part of the airport expansion, but I haven't used CBX since pre-pandemic so I can't confirm or deny.

You must retain your boarding pass on your return trip in order to get back through CBX. They have the ability to scan your phone now, in case it's on your phone and not on a piece of paper.

It's really not as complicated as it sounds. It's way better, if you don't have GE or SENTRI, because you can cross back into the USA in a matter of minutes, not hours. Otherwise, getting dropped off at the front door of the airport is more convenient.

TomJackin
03-24-21, 23:54
Has anyone recently used CBX? Please tell me they've made some process improvements and that it's now easier than the above described shitshow.That was old report. I've used CBX 6 times, the last time was in Jan 2020. Year time, they improved the services. I would highly recommend using CBX nowadays.

LuvMexicanas
03-25-21, 04:02
That was old report. I've used CBX 6 times, the last time was in Jan 2020. Year time, they improved the services. I would highly recommend using CBX nowadays.Awesome to hear. Thanks TomJackin.

LuvMexicanas
03-25-21, 04:07
Well, yes. That post is almost 5 years old. There is no more "Long Term" parking on-site. It's all the same, and all the same (high) price. Better long term options exist in the vicinity, and they will drive you to CBX. But they aren't as convenient.

The check in is the same. You can buy your CBX ticket on-site or on their web site. Some airlines will allow you to buy it along with your ticket.

The portion past the entrance "gate" is all built out now. Lots of "duty free" shopping to walk thorough. You enter one end of the "store" and exit the other. It's all pretty intuitive now.

At the end you still go downstairs into the passport control area where you will be made to get an FMM. Free for 7 days or less, $30 (or whatever) for longer stays. You'll have wanted to fill out your FMM when you first arrived at CBX. Then here at passport control you'll either have the agent validate it, or pay and then have it validated.

Once through passport control you'll still be dumped into the "arrivals" section and you'll have to walk "around" to the left to the departures entrance where you check your luggage. You'll have checked your luggage at the other side when you entered CBX so you can skip these lines. Your boarding pass and your passport will be checked again. I've heard rumors that they might be modifying this portion, as part of the airport expansion, but I haven't used CBX since pre-pandemic so I can't confirm or deny..That's great and even better is the $91 Aeromexico round trip fare to CDMX vs the $500 from the States. Thanks.

LuvMexicanas
06-04-21, 05:19
Just got back from Mexico City today. Easy signage both to my departing and returning flights TIJ to MEX. Also, the $16 each way to use CBX was more than offset in terms of cost, time and stress because I didn't need to worry about a preflight COVID test in CDMX due to the fact that you're not flying back to the United States and instead crossing back by land.

TomJackin
06-04-21, 20:58
Just got back from Mexico City today. Easy signage both to my departing and returning flights TIJ to MEX. Also, the $16 each way to use CBX was more than offset in terms of cost, time and stress because I didn't need to worry about a preflight COVID test in CDMX due to the fact that you're not flying back to the United States and instead crossing back by land.Thank you for the information and feedback.

LuvMexicanas
06-17-21, 21:05
Thank you for the information and feedback.Speaking of info, I think some folks have figured out a hack in terms of parking. During peak periods such as Monday holiday three day weekends or 4th of July, CBX may run out of parking so people were just illegally parking along streets in and around the facility probably thinking to themselves so what if I get a parking ticket because at least I didn't miss my flight and the parking ticket fine is the same or perhaps even less than what I would have paid to park for 3-4 days anyway. Perhaps you might get towed but I don't know how many days would have to pass before that happens and you might have returned from your trip by then anyway.

LuvMexicanas
03-03-22, 19:57
There's quite a bit of chatter around CBX so folks might find this thread useful.

Jackie888
07-01-22, 16:27
So I used CBX and it was pretty convenient. But I recommend people do an online reservation so that they can park in the closest lot to next to the CBX entrance because the lot is paved instead of gravel and dirt, and the walk from the lots on the outskirts is pretty long especially when they do not have carts for your luggage. Carts are abundant in the reserved lot.

Or one can use the street parking. But it is a pain in the ass because everyone is waiting for those spots to open. However, at $15 to $20 a day, it may be worth it. I think if I were go travel for a week or more, I would try to take the trolley to San Ysidro and uber over. That should be $40 for the trolley instead of $140 for a week of CBX parking.

Hadez
10-07-22, 13:43
Like the trolley idea. If I were coming from LOS angeles where is a good place to park? I can google some spots but would like my car to be the same when I get back.

Planning a Mexico City trip for Thanksgiving.

So I used CBX and it was pretty convenient. But I recommend people do an online reservation so that they can park in the closest lot to next to the CBX entrance because the lot is paved instead of gravel and dirt, and the walk from the lots on the outskirts is pretty long especially when they do not have carts for your luggage. Carts are abundant in the reserved lot.

Or one can use the street parking. But it is a pain in the ass because everyone is waiting for those spots to open. However, at $15 to $20 a day, it may be worth it. I think if I were go travel for a week or more, I would try to take the trolley to San Ysidro and uber over. That should be $40 for the trolley instead of $140 for a week of CBX parking.

Clone8884
02-06-23, 09:18
Anyone have lowkey spots for free / cheap parking? I plan on being gone for 11 days.

Izl80
02-06-23, 20:51
Anyone have lowkey spots for free / cheap parking? I plan on being gone for 11 days.Been parking at Leyva Hotel (same side as Chicago Club).

Secure multi level parking close to the action.

1 month parking is $120 usd.

7 days parking at $30 usd.

This is pre-paid parking arrangement with in and out privilege.

I took the collectivo Aeropuerto bus at 3rd street and constitution ave. For 15 pesos in daytime.

Upon returning to Tijuana airport I carefully crossed across the street for a collectivo bus for 20 pesos at night.

Key point is I have a carry on bag only and no luggage to navigate the bus and crowd!

Otherwise taxi back to Chicago Club under 240 pesos or $13.

Just flew back from Tijuana to Monterrey roundtrip for $103 usd at Viva!

Get out there and park and explore my Tijuana amigos!

Izl80
02-06-23, 21:04
Holiday Lodge Motel.
Next to Burger King
672 E San Ysidro Blvd.

San Ysidro, CA 92173.

United States.

40 plus parking spots.

5-10 min walk from East pedestrian border crossing.

Prepay for as many days or have your tires chained up until you pay up for overstay.

Always full to capacity and slightly tight parking spots.

Park in view of hotel reception window and lock up valuables.

The worst thing that ever happened to my vehicle was ant-invasion due to sweets and donuts!

Park and explore Tijuana Amigos!

Artisttyp
02-06-23, 22:13
Holiday Lodge Motel.
Next to Burger King
672 E San Ysidro Blvd.

San Ysidro, CA 92173.

United States.

40 plus parking spots.

5-10 min walk from East pedestrian border crossing.

Prepay for as many days or have your tires chained up until you pay up for overstay.

Always full to capacity and slightly tight parking spots.

Park in view of hotel reception window and lock up valuables.

The worst thing that ever happened to my vehicle was ant-invasion due to sweets and donuts!

Park and explore Tijuana Amigos!I was just there today. Next door there is another parking lot advertising $10 a day. From the sign I saw it belongs to the Swap Meet? It also looked a little confusing as to where to pay and I didn't see any security but its only $10. Anyone have more info on this lot?

Clone8884
02-07-23, 08:36
Been parking at Leyva Hotel (same side as Chicago Club).

Secure multi level parking close to the action.

1 month parking is $120 usd.

7 days parking at $30 usd.

This is pre-paid parking arrangement with in and out privilege.

I took the collectivo Aeropuerto bus at 3rd street and constitution ave. For 15 pesos in daytime.

Upon returning to Tijuana airport I carefully crossed across the street for a collectivo bus for 20 pesos at night.

Key point is I have a carry on bag only and no luggage to navigate the bus and crowd!

Otherwise taxi back to Chicago Club under 240 pesos or $13.

Just flew back from Tijuana to Monterrey roundtrip for $103 usd at Viva!

Get out there and park and explore my Tijuana amigos!SNA flights to cdmx are like 1000 usd. LAX flights to cdmx are like 800 usd. TIJ to CDMX is like 3000 pesos /150 usd. It seems like a no brainer! I also contacted a friend and will leave my car with them near Coronado. They even offered to drop me off at CBX! A true friend!

Jackie888
04-26-23, 15:44
Has anyone ever flown from Tijuana to a Latin American country like Costa Rica or Colombia? I assume it cost far less than flying from the States. Right?

DJ FourMoney
01-01-24, 01:35
On Christmas Eve I decided I would head down to Tijuana. For those of you that remember the old Tijuana forum it's legacy from that.

Anyway I bought my bus ticket, never got boarding passes and the bus never materialized.

I have requested a refund but CBX has only responded to one ticket and that was over five days ago now.

Any suggestions on further action?

Jackie888
01-03-24, 20:21
On Christmas Eve I decided I would head down to Tijuana. For those of you that remember the old Tijuana forum it's legacy from that.

Anyway I bought my bus ticket, never got boarding passes and the bus never materialized.

I have requested a refund but CBX has only responded to one ticket and that was over five days ago now.

Any suggestions on further action?Refunds normally require manager approval. So ask to speak to a manager directly.

DJ FourMoney
02-09-24, 18:28
Refunds normally require manager approval. So ask to speak to a manager directly.They actually never charged me. Thanks.

CenTexCrash
03-23-24, 18:49
http://www.internationalsexguide.nl/forum/showthread.php?456-General-Info&p=2903372&viewfull=1#post2903372.

Seeing if any board members have anything to chip in?

Tebdill
03-28-24, 01:43
http://www.internationalsexguide.nl/forum/showthread.php?456-General-Info&p=2903372&viewfull=1#post2903372.

Seeing if any board members have anything to chip in?Nothing has changed if you're a US national. The referenced article is just small travel blog written by an Indian guy and it _does_ apply for Indian nationals. Here's a more concise answer from an airline:

https://www.copaair.com/assets/visa-for-passengers-transiting-mexico.pdf

US, Canada, EU exempt. Will be business as usual.

This still holds true.

Mexican visa is not required for tourism, transit or unpaid activity with a stay of less than 180 days, as long as the person has a valid and current multiple entry visa or a permanent residence permit from one of the following countries:
United States, Canada, Japan, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and Schengen countries.