PDA

View Full Version : Living in Colombia

Routard
12-31-16, 04:36
I guess most of travelling mongers dream of living as a king in a tropical paradise surrounded by pretty young girls instead of a boring life in a sad city with his angry old wife.

I have traveled over 80 different countries before I felt in love of Colombia and decided to settle here. It's of course very personal, but having travelled so much, it gives me some kind of legitimacy when it comes to comparison.

I have my own company here, a good knowledge of the Colombian industrial sector and a good network of contacts. If you have any plans to start a business and need some info or advice, feel free to pm me. I would be glad to help you on the same way as other expats helped me when I started my business.

Colombia has a bad reputation, but I use to say that those who criticize Colombia are those who have never been there. I have never met a foreigner that has visited Colombia and that didn't love the country:

- Amazing diversity in nature, landscape, climate due to huge differences in altitude, Pacific and Atlantic Coast, desert, mountain, jungle.

- The best people you can meet: educated, friendly, open minded, welcoming, fun. Due to history, the country has not been spoiled by tourism.

- Permanent party atmosphere: salsa, rumba, soccer.

- the most beautiful women of Latin America after Argentina.

- An organized and liberal society, stable economy and democracy and probably the last US partner in South America.

Keep in mind however that staying in couple of weeks on holidays is very different than living on day to day basis: social injustice, lack of transport infrastructure, petty crime, inefficient administration. To name some of them. Not everyone is able to deal with the inevitable differences and turn his back to the life he had in his homeland, no matter how shitty it was.

There are different ways of living in Colombia, but main issue is to get revenues in Colombia.

RETIRING IN Colombia.

Getting your pension based on high incomes in Euro or US dollar and spending it in a low cost of living country makes you living as a king. If you have more than 750 $ of pension or 3500 $ of revenue from abroad, you can apply for a TP7 visa and live permanently in Colombia. It's15 times Colombian's minimum wage.

FINDING A JOB IN Colombia.

You can indeed apply for a TP4 visa if you get a job in a Colombian company. The major local website for job adds is: http://www.computrabajo.com.co/.

However, don't fool yourself, if coming from Northern America or Europe, you will certainly not want to work for a Colombian salary. Minimum salary is 250 $, average salary is 500 $ for 48 hours a week and 2 weeks of vacation. Cost of living is indeed lower also, but not in the same proportion as salaries. If you take Big Mac index, the very same sandwich will cost you 30% lower than in the USA or Europe, but you will most probably not eat very much anymore in a Mac Donald with 5 times less income. Only sector where salaries are on Western level is the Oil and Gas sector, but needless to say that nowadays they are not contracting anymore.

Yes, best would be to find an expat contract in Colombia with a foreign company. But Colombia is not Africa or Middle East. Foreign companies in Colombia have nearly no expats, as they can easily find local resources, with experience, bilingual, bicultural, working much harder, better and for much less than any expat would do it.

Bottom line: just forget the option of finding a job in Colombia.

START YOUR OWN BUSINESS.

In Northern America or Europe, it's better to be employee, in Colombia it's better to employ. Starting your own business, this is the very best option if you want to live in Colombia. With just 25 000 $ of capital, you can apply for TP7 visa and live permanently as an investor in Colombia. In 2 days you can create your own company and unlike Asia, Africa or Middle East, a local partner is not necessary. Foreign investment is guaranteed to be able to get out of the country the dividends and the capital at any time. Any new company is exempted of income tax during 2 years and it goes gradually up the next 3 years. There is a perfect complete guide on http://www.procolombia.co/ for anyone willing to start a business in Colombia. Only problem is that it is a promotional document from authorities, my presentation is more realistic as I went through all the problems also.

If you want to create a company, easiest is to use a lawyer, it will cost you 600 000. However, it is that easy that you can do it alone. Go to "Camara de Comercio de Bogota" http://www.ccb.org.co/or the one in the city where you want to locate your business and ask for free assessment to explain what to do. You will have to fill in a form and hand over a couple of documents and the next day you have your "Certificado de Camara de Comercio" . With this you have to go DIAN http://www.dian.gov.co/, the tax administration. The very next day you will get a document called RUT indicating the NIT number of your business. With this you can go to a bank to get a "Certificado Bancaria" with your account number. Basically, in 2 days you have the 3 documents that your providers and clients will ask to make business. Any "asesor contable" can take care of your accounting, tax declarations, and payroll for 600 000 a month. Just wire from abroad the capital to your account and you are ready to do business.

Why making business in Colombia than any other country? First because it's the third biggest market of Latin America after Mexico and Brazil. But unlike Brazil, Argentina, and Venezuela, Colombia is an ultra-liberal stable economy with free trade market with Northern America, Europe and the other Latin American countries. Stable growth, stable currency, stable financial, social and political system, 50 years of FARC terror made a public opinion definitively averse no any type of leftwing politic despite social injustice in the country.

There are few syndicates and few social conflicts between employees and employers. If employees are unhappy in their company, they will just go and look for something better. It's not true however in remote areas where there are no other employment options. Big oil and gas or mining companies operating in remote areas have to face strong resistance from local communities and need to accept social or environmental concessions.

Second, because of history and bad reputation, multinational companies and foreign investors forgot Colombia unlike Mexico and Brazil. There is very little competition and any foreign franchise starting in Colombia has a huge success. Local market is very open to any service or product coming from abroad; it's a world of opportunities. Any businessman in Colombia will tell you that being a foreigner is an excellent asset for making business in Colombia. Where else will you see this?

Most West European countries and USA have bi lateral Chambers of Commerce in Colombia, I strongly recommend becoming member of the one of your own country. It helps a lot to get your first contacts in Colombia to start business and to get useful advice from other fellow expats.

Doing business in Colombia is fun, you can easily meet a lot of people on high level and business is clean. Corruption exists, but mainly in public sector when it comes to huge contracts. Only risk is that clients will always show their enthusiasm as a way of being polite, foreigners have to take care that it doesn't mean always confirmation of business.

What kind of business? Well, I would advise to do the one you have experience in your own country. It's a big risk to go to a country you don't know to offer a service you don't know to clients you don't know. If in your CV nothing applies for starting a business in Colombia, I would advise to start a franchise from your own country, at least you have a support and experience from the franchise of a business that worked elsewhere. I strongly advise also to make a marketing study in order to check that there is a need and no or few offer of it. Don't try to start a business such as bar, restaurant, spa or a shop that millions of other Colombians already do for a living for just 600 000 a month.

Are there also problems for doing business in Colombia? Yes, don't even think about getting a credit from the local banks. Local banks start to offer credits when you earn money and don't need it anymore. It's therefore also one of your asset compared to local entrepreneurs who have ideas but can't invest: you can start a business with earnings or a credit you got easier in your home country.

Another problem is administrative unproductive work, mainly due to DIAN the local tax administration. DIAN for example request that invoices have to be done on official lithographic numbered pages. Theoretically you can also do it electronically through an approved software from DIAN. Trouble is that your customers will only accept a physical invoice that has to be "radicated', which mean physically handed over and stamped. Most companies start not to accept invoices with date of current month 5 to 10 days before the end of the month as they might not be able to account it on time. Yes, trouble is that your clients are so scared to be fined by DIAN that they don't want to accept another way of invoicing. DIAN also request a complex and unproductive withholding tax depending of type and amount of service or purchase, size of client and size of provider, each one different for IVA, local tax and income tax. As this % doesn't appear on the invoice, both provider and client assume a % and both accounts have to communicate for hours to understand why their calculation is different. Crazy!! Don't even think that you might do accounting with your foreign software as it is very specific. The official guide for business will make you believe that accounting in Colombia is under international norms. It's bullshit. Actually it's even worth, companies have to make a double accounting, one in international norm to make believe to the rest of the world that Colombia is under international norm, the other one in Colombian norm to make your tax declaration, as DIAN is not capable to handle international norm although it is mandatory by law!

My best advice is to staff a good administrative organization; else it will affect your business. Most important is spending time with your clients, not losing time in inefficient administrative problems.

INVESTING IN REAL ESTATE.

You can apply for a TP7 visa if you buy real estate for 90 000 $. Credit is real expensive in Colombia, 2%. A month! With such high interest rates, renting real estate has also a high rate, between 6 to 10% of the value of the real estate. Additional to this value of real estate increases at rates between 6 to 10%, so buying real estate for renting it is a pretty good deal. However if 90 000 $ might generate 3 000 000 a month, it stil isn't enough to live in Colombia at least not for European or Northern American standards. You should either consider investing more or getting better performance by renting furnished on short term.

Unlike most countries in Middle East or Asia, there is no restriction for a foreigner to buy real estate, you don't need a local partner for it. You will need a local bank account to wire the capital. The bank will make you fill in the DC4 form from Banco de la Republica in order to register the foreign investment, which will guarantee that you will be able to wire back the money once you will sell again the real estate. There are two main internet sites for buying, selling or renting real estate: www.metrocuadrado.com and www.fincaraiz.com. In metrocuadrado you can calculate value of real estate depending of city, type of real estate and strato. Each house or building has a strato between 1 and 6, 1 for poorest, 6 for highest class. Local tax but also electricity, water, telephone prices depend of strato.

Apart from apartments or houses in the main cities, a great deal for real estate would be buying farmland. So far, they are dirt cheap and with the ongoing peace process and the huge plan for rural development associated to it, prices could strongly increase in the next coming years. As an example, a friend of mine bought last year 30 hectares of left land due to conflict for .14 000 000 pesos. Yes, for less than 5000 fucking dollar all the mountains you can see around are yours, including the forest, the apes, your own private waterfall and natural Jacuzzi! Trouble is, or advantage, it all depends of what you are looking for, the closest road is at 2 hours horse ride. Prices of fincas depend of proximity of roads, proximity of main cities, availability of electricity, internet or water, quality of ground etc. But if there is access to the road it will be roughly 30 000 000 pesos a hectare, which is still a very good deal. If you don't want to have the trouble of exploitation, usual deal is to have an administrator and 50% of earnings are for him, the rest for the land owner. Keep in mind that in Colombia there is no incentive for agriculture; expect 2-3% of incomes for your investment. But if you prefer country to city, there is no better way of feeling yourself in Colombia than surrounded by coffee plantation hills.

Is there a risk of devaluation by sending such a capital to a foreign country? Yes there always is of course, no one can predict how currency will change in the next coming years, the one that could predict it would be billionaire. However risks are lower than in a lot of other developing countries. Colombia is now the third Latin American country regarding PIB, ready to enter in OCDE, the see of CIVET, the new BRIC group of countries, a stable grow since decades, stable political power, convertible and relative stable currency, only country of Latin America that never had to re-negotiate its debt.

STUDYING IN COLOMBIA.

Studying a specialty one year in Colombia, it could be the greatest year of your live surrounded by Colombian college girls! A great plus on your CV also as it would make you complete bilingual with the second most important language after English.

Best universities are: Universidad Nacional http://unal.edu.co, Universidad de LOS Andes http://uniandes.edu.co/, Universidad de Antioquia http://www.udea.edu.co Javeriana www.javeriana.edu.co/. Just check information on these website it anything applies to you. University is organized in semesters that begin in February and September. Coming from Norther America, it would make sense, coming from Europe where study is free, it would be quite expensive.

The visa for students is TP1.

VISA AND CEDULA.

You can stay 3 months as a tourist without visa, after 3 month you can extend for another 3 month. More than 6 month a year you will need a visa and a cedula. Colombia is one of the few countries in the world where you don't need to get out of the country to apply for a visa http://www.cancilleria.gov.co/. You might travel to Colombia and ask your visa within the 3 months. Some foreigners use lawyers to go for it as they are more used to the administrative process, but you can do it easily yourself as it is online. Foreign documents must be translated and legalized, check carefully the explanations on the website, it's the most difficult part of the process. Once all the documents sent, online payment done and visa is approved, you can go to any Colombia embassy or to foreign affairs in Bogota Avenida 19 and 98 03 to get the stamp on your passport.

Once you have your visa, you need to apply within the 2 weeks of entering Colombia or receiving visa for your "cedula"' to Migracion Colombia. http://migracioncolombia.gov.co/. As all the paperwork has been done through the visa process, it just requires filling in a form, queuing for picture and finger print and 3 days later you can pick up your passport. Cedula is the ID you will need for any administrative process in Colombia. You will have to decline everywhere the number, luckily for foreigners the "cedula de extranjeria" has just 6 digits, for Colombians the "cedula de cuidania" has 10 digits.

BANKS.

There are basically 3 types of bank accounts:

- "Ahorros", the one that everyone has. You can check, wire and pay bills online with it, it allows to get a local debit card to pay or get cash from any ATM. To get one, you will need a cedula and 100 000 of deposit. Bank charges are high, interests are low and it cannot become negative.

- "Corriente", identical to Ahorros, except that it allows also to make cheques. Therefore it might become negative, so banks will open if only after a couple of historical years with a cuenta de ahorros.

- "CDT", which is a savings account with interest. Don't expect more than 3% however.

The only international bank is the Spanish BBVA with presence in France and nearly all Latin American countries. All other banks are local. Banks in Colombia are very conservative, it's very difficult and expensive to get credit (expect 24% of interest but only after years of bank history in Colombia). Don't even expect to get a VISA credit card before a year of two. Sometimes, bank requests are even ridiculous, such as BBVA or Davivienda that requires 6 month of economic activity for a company before getting an account, I have no idea how a company could get it without a bank account. Most banks require also a cedula, but as you need a bank account to wire your investment and get your visa and cedula, it just doesn't make sense. The good part of it is that banks in Colombia are therefore also very reliable and stable.

Which bank to choose? I tried them all, so no doubt: Bancolombia http://www.grupobancolombia.com/. Don't lose time to visit the others, it's the only one that accepts to open an account to a foreigner with a passport, which allows to wire the investment and then apply for visa and cedula. Turns out to be also the biggest bank of Colombia with most ATM and agencies.

After a year I could get my Visa card with 20 000 000 of credit, a running credit of 10 000 00, possibility of 20 000 000 additional credit and factoring system for 100 000 000 of credit with invoices from my clients.

International wiring is not easy from or to Colombia due to currency change but also narcotraffic history. However most banks including Bancolombia offer an account in dollar based in Panama for receiving and sending international transfers. It's OK as long as everything is declared to DIAN.

Colombian Peso is relatively stable; it is at 2900 as it used to be 10 years ago when I came first to Colombia. In between however it has fluctuated between 1700 and 3300, so you might lose or win on short term.

HOUSING.

Except in Medellin, you will not find furnished apartments, or it would be close to what a hotel room would cost. Minimum renting is one year and you cannot rent without a cedula. For renting above 1 000 000 a month, you will need 2 guarantors with 3 times income of renting and one with real estate. As you will most likely not be able to find them, you will have to deposit 5 to 6 months of renting in a CDT as guarantee. As you are a foreigner without bank history, they will calculate the highest possible guarantee. This guarantee is not for the owner nor for you but for and intermediate insurance company. Nearly all owners use real estate agencies for the commercial transaction and paperwork with the renter.

Rent differs a lot between country and city, between city and between neighbors in a city. In the countryside, you might get a finca for 50 $ a month, in the better neighborhood of the main cities, renting is as high as in any middle European or Norther American city. There is a so called strato, a classification between 1 to 6 for each neighborhood, 6 being the best and most expensive. Local tax, electricity, water and telephone depend of strato. Strato is that important that people start to identify themselves to the strato as defining their social class.

You can easily find advertisement in www.fincaraiz.com or www.metrocuadrado.com. All available apartments or houses are not online, when walking in the neighborhood you will notice the signs with phone number for available apartments or houses to rent.

No need to request water, electricity or gas, it is already connected and bills arrive under the owner's name. Distribution companies depend of cities, in Bogota Condensa is for electricity, Acuaductos de Bogota for water and Fenosa for gaz. Electricity is USA standards, 60 hz 110 V. There is an informal recycling, as poor "'recicladores' go through the bins to recycle and resell metal, plastic, glass or paper. I therefore put it separate outside for them to pick it up easier.

CAR.

No problem to buy a car, except that you will need a cedula for the paperwork and that you will not get a credit without local credit history. Cars have a lifetime number made of 3 letters and 3 numbers with name of city. For used cars it's best to go through a professional dealer. He will not offer guarantee, however you can get a local insurance for mechanical damage for around 1 000 000. Only mandatory insurance is SOAT for roughly 300 000 a year, but it won't cover your own damage. An additional full insurance would cost roughly 1 000 000. The car dealing can offer you all the necessary insurance coverage and will do you the paperwork to get you the car on your name.

Police will accept your international driving license, but after a year you will need a Colombian one. Go to any driving license school, they will do the paperwork and you will get your local driving license within a 10 days for 500 000.

Diesel named here "ACPM"and regular named "corriente" is 7 000 a gallon, super named "extra' is 10 000. Roads between cities are toll ways, expect to pay 10 000 every 80 km. Streets in Bogota are in poor condition due to previous left oriented mayors, in other main cities it's acceptable roads between main cities are one mostly single lane mountain roads, other roads are unpaved.

Four-wheel drive might be a good idea if you plan to drive outside the cities. Distance is not relevant: people speak about quantity of hours between cities. There are no trains or river boats; the lack of transport infrastructure has a high cost on economy, probably 1 or 2% less growth. There is now a global GPS map for Colombia with Garmin. Most people use however free apps on their phone such as Waze or Googlemap. Trouble is that you need connection to internet. It's OK for cities; in rural area you definitely need a classical GPS. When travelling outside the cities, there is usually no problem finding gas stations, restaurants and hotels along the road. Typical meal is 10 000 and typical hotel room 30 000. Sex motels at the entrances of each city might also be a great option, typical price 50 000 for the night including parking and porn channel! I however prefer to have my tent and inflating bed in my car if I need to stay a night in a rural area. Even if you will always find helpful people ready to invite you in rural area, comfort in fincas might be poor and you are better off in your own tent.

Streets are numbered as in Northern America. In Bogota, the mountains indicate east. The Carreteras North South oriented start at 1 from the mountains and go up westward. The Calles start from the center at 1 and go up northward. They also go up southward starting from the center with an S indicating that it's for the southern part of the city. When watching distance from the mountain, you might guess the carretera number and as Montserrate on the mountain is roughly at the level of the center, you might also guess the number of Calle where you are. Numbers of houses are pair on one side, unpair on the other side, indicating distance from the intersection. Carrera 15#85-20 is on Carrera 85 at 20 m from calle 85. Diagonal is a Calle that is not exactly parallel and Transversal is a Carretera not exactly parallel. Main avenues have names instead of numbers.

There are driving restrictions in the main cities, the famous Pico why Placa. In Bogota for example, cars with pair numbers cannot drive on pair days between 6 am and 8. 30 am and between 3 pm and 7. 30 pm. , same for impair cars. Pico Placa, unable to park outside of park lots (not for Police fines, but for robbery), dense and chaotic traffic: car is not an option in Bogota and motorbike is way too dangerous.

PUBLIC TRANSPORT.

In the cities, easiest are the yellow cabs. They are everywhere, average cost is around 10 000. Most people use apps such as Easy taxi to call a cab. However on peak hours especially if it is raining, it is useless.

Medellin is the only city with metro, although it is just one line. Other cities have a system such as the Transmilenio in Bogota http://www.sitp.gov.co, roughly a bus system with their own lanes and stations. It used to be as efficient as a metro, but the system didn't follow the growth of the city and is now close to collapse. Cost is 2 000 with prepaid card you can get at each station. Transmilenio is useful only outside peak hours. All cities have also independent unorganized buses. No maps, no stations, hard to understand how it works.

Bogota has now a new blue bus system named SITP. You will need a prepaid card, same as for the Transmilenio. Trouble is that most people have not understood the itineraries, it therefore is surprisingly empty. http://www.rutas-sitp-bogota.com.

Between cities, there are efficient and cheap buses, around 50 000 for 500 km. Each city has a bus station to get out of the city. Trouble is that it is time consuming by road, and airplane is a much better option between cities. A single trip can cost as low as 150 000 if you make your reservation in advance or check different airlines: Avianca, http://www.avianca.com/ Lan, http://www.lan.com/ Copa https://www.copaair.com/ but also the low cost companies such as Easyfly, http://easyfly.com.co/ Viva Colombia https://www.vivacolombia.co/co and Satena http://www.satena.com/ Easiest is to buy on line.

SOCIAL SYSTEM AND HEALTH.

There is no single social system such a as in Europe but different private companies each specialized in pension, health (EPS), labor risk (ARL) and Caja de Compensacion. Caja de Compensacion allow employees to have subsidized social, sport, cultural or social activities. All are mandatory, paid by employee (10% of salary) and company (20% of salary). Not easy, as each employee has its own EPS or pension, so that it's a lot of paperwork to register a new employee at each company. Social system in Colombia is not that bad even compared to European standard, except for job loss.

Best EPS are Sanitas http://portal.colsanitas.com/, Sura https://www.epssura.com/ and Compensar https://www.compensar.com/. If you are not living in Bogota, check however that they offer assistance in the city where you live; they have not a complete national coverage. EPS does not offer coverage abroad, except Sanitas if you pay an additional fee. Most EPS offer an additional coverage named "Plan Complementario', for 100 000 additional a month you have access to the best clinics of the country and priority for appointments.

If you are not employee, or if you just want the best medical coverage, you can get a "medicina prepagada", even better as the "Plan Complementario" for 200 00 0 to 300 000 depending the options (optic and dental for example). Sanitas and Sura offer also "medicina prepagada" I would suggest Sanitas, as it gives you also some assistance abroad.

Regarding pension, roughly you have 2 options, Colpensiones https://www.colpensiones.gov.co/ which is a public fund and the other private funds such as Proteccion https://www.proteccion.com/, Porvenir https://www.porvenir.com.co Pension is not mandatory for foreigners. Hard to say which are best as results are in 20 or 30 years.

Caja de Compensacion is the same for all the employees of the company. Best are Colsubsidio http://www.colsubsidio.com/ , Compensar https://www.compensar.com/ Cafam http://www.cafam.com.co/. Outside Bogota check however if they attend in the city you live.

ARL is paid only by the company and is the same for all employees, basically an insurance. Try Liberty https://www.libertycolombia.com.co/ , Colmena https://www.colmenaseguros.com/ and Suramericana https://www.sura.com/. These very same companies can offer also the insurance for your company or apartment against fire, theft, natural disaster and civil liability. This insurance is not mandatory; however some clients might request it.

Apart from that, every year the company has to deposit also a month of salary called "cesantia" in a fund. It is the only protection against job loss, employee can get the invested capital back with interests. At is roughly a savings account, the companies that offer pension offer also cesantia such as Proteccion or Porvenir.

For emergency, call 123. Main pharmacies have pharmacists that might prescript drugs, so it is not necessary to go first to a doctor. Orthodontic or Optic are not covered by EPS, but are dirt cheap compared to Europe or USA.

SECURITY AND SAFETY.

It's a never ending discussion. Colombia used to be the most dangerous country in the world between 1990 and 2000 when they had to face a double war against the most powerful drug mafia in history and the oldest guerilla in history. Pablo Escobar is dead and war against the FARC is over. Colombia is again in the average of any other Latin American country, which is still high for European or Norther American standards. No more X ray to get in a mall, no more army posts at entrance of each city. You can travel anywhere in Colombia except boarder of Panama, Ecuador and Venezuela where there are still some armed illegal organizations. If crime or kidnap is not a thread anymore to foreigners as long as they are not involved in drugs or politics, petty crime is high in the main cities. Watch your back and take the usual precautions at each time.

Call 123 for police or keep the number of your local CAI police station in your cellphone. If you are in rural area, police in non-existing. Petty crime also is nonexistent in rural area, but illegal armed groups might still be a thread in so called red zones. You therefore might better call for military help on 147. It's a special standard for threads such as extortion or kidnap, hardly useful nowadays, but still existing.

For any medical emergency, you can expect first aid rescue in the main cities and on toll roads. In rural area, there is no first aid rescue system, except again the army maybe if they are close. You will have to rely on yourself and if you can't you have to rely on other people to get you to the closest hospital. Most people have no knowledge of first aid, except if they have been trained for professional reasons such as in the industry and construction.

If you have any mechanical problem there is a towing service on toll roads to bring you to the next garage. If you are insured, insurance can tow you back home from any place in Colombia. It happened to me once at 800 km from Bogota and I was surprised of efficiency. Within an hour after calling a taxi picked me up to bring me back home while my car was towed away to Bogota also, everything paid by my car insurance.

TAX AND ADMINISTRATION.

International laws are clear: you have to pay tax on world revenues in the country where you live more than 6 months a year. Check if there is a double taxation agreement with your own country. If you have a salary in Colombia, during the first 6 months, 33% will go directly to tax and might then be deduced from your tax in your home country. After 6 months, you will have to declare your world income to DIAN. Tax on revenues 0% till 12 000 $ a year, then rises progressively till 33%.

Tax will change in 2017 and VAT will go from 16% to 19%. There is free trade between Colombia and USA as well as between Colombia and Europe. Up to 50 kg or 2000 $, you can import directly with DHL, UPS or Fedex without any duty process and get anything from USA within 2-3 days. More than 50 kg and 2000 $, you will need an import agent; nationalization of merchandize will take 4 days more.

Income tax for companies is 0% during 2 years, then goes up progressively to 33% after 5 years.

Administration is time consuming but works quite well. Often, firms have to be legalized by a notary through finger print and picture. Anyway, there are notaries anywhere. Main cities have a so called CAD where most administrative organizations have a locket. Close to each administration, there is always a small shop for photocopies, pictures, internet access etc.

No need for bribes in administrations, also not with police. Administration is helpful, just don't try to mess or delay payment with DIAN as their fines are sky high.

TELECOMMUNICATION.

One of the first thing to do when arriving is getting a local cellphone. Local companies are Movistar www.movistar.co or Claro http://www.claro.com.co/. Getting a prepaid card is easy; it's what most people have. To get a plan requires all kind of documents. Cellphone number is a 10 digit countrywide.

There is no public post, it all goes through private companies. Servientrega http://www.servientrega.com/ has the best national network, Deprisa http://www.deprisa.com/ is the fasted as it is from the same organization as Avianca. Local shipment will cost 10 000 depending weight and deliveries are next day between Bogota, Medellin or Cali, 2 or 3 days for the rest of Colombia. Sending abroad even a letter will cost same as express such as DHL, UPS or Fedex. Receiving mail from abroad will arrive after a month or 2 through 4-72. If you import often from USA, specialized companies offer a fictive address in Miami. Your providers send everything with UPS to that address and they will take care to ship it all to Colombia. It will take 5 days from Miami and cost is 14 000 a kg.

There are 2 main national television channels: RCN and Caracol and a couple of regional television channnels. With a ditch you will get Directv with HBO, Fox, ESPN etc. In English and Spanish. These channels are also available with the different internet access providers offering internet+television+telephone. In Bogota, main access provider is ETB http://etb.com, others are UNE http://www.une.com.co/, Claro http://www.claro.com.co/or Movistar www.movistar.co.

Main newspaper is El Tiempo, but it tends to disappear due to Internet.

Colombians love new technologies. Most people have cellphones only for internet access. People don't use anymore SM but whatsapp, don't phone but use skype, use apps to call a taxi, pay bills and so on.

FOOD AND SHOPPING.

Restaurants offer usually meals for 20 000 a la carta. However most Colombians will ask for "almuerzo executivo", even if it is not written. It's basically the day menu, it will cost between 6 000 and 10 000 including soup and fruit juice. Colombian food is OK but lacks of vegetable for European standards. Typical meal is rice with potatoe, fried banana, red beans, corn, fried egg or avocado and with beef, pork, fish or chicken. Bandeja Paisa is the national meal; basically it's all the above all together except for potatoes, fish and chicken.

If you prefer junk food, you will find everywhere your usual Mc Donalds, Subway, BurgerKing, Domino Pizza, Dunkin Donuts, KFC etc. It's roughly 30% below US prices.

You will find everywhere the supermarkets Exito or Carulla. It's managed by Casino, a French company, so European products are available. Prices of meat, vegetables and fruits are cheap, manufactured food has similar prices as in Europe or Northern America. Supermarkets are open daily from 7 am till 9 pm.

When arriving, most important is furniture. Easiest is Homecenter, they are everywhere. Video, television, computers are to be found in Xtronic. Panamerica is the typical stationary shop.

Small shops are organized in streets. There is a street for pets, another for electrical supplies, another for electronical supplies, another for car supplies, another for shoes or clothes and so on. Unilago is a shopping mall only for computers. The main shopping malls in Bogota: Unicentro, Santa Ana, Andino, Titan Plaza. Atlantis Plaza, Las Americas, Portal 80, Centro Major, Gran Estacion, Plaza Imperial, Cuidad Tunal, Hayuelos, Salitre Plaza. Malls are open daily including Sunday from 10 am till 9 pm.

Imported supplies have similar prices as in Europe and USA, as it has the same origin: Asia. If you want to buy used stuff, here is the most used website: http://www.mercadolibre.com.co/.

Service however is dirt cheap: barbershop, spa etc. It is common to have house employees for cleaning or childcare. Most supermarkets or shops offer "domicilios', which mean that they bring home what you have ordered by phone.

Some international companies especially in the oil and gas pay escort service to their expat. I mean security escorts, what else did you understand! I would rather recommend low profile, way more efficient.

HOLYDAYS, TIPING AND MICELEANOUS.

Usual business hours are from 7 am till 5 pm from Monday till Friday. Some companies work on Saturday as on Sunday is a legal non-working day, but most companies are closed also on Saturday. There are 20 public holidays in Colombia. Apart from that people have 15 days of holidays and most are on holidays starting Christmas and the first 2 weeks of January, as it is school holidays. Semana Santa is also a very slow week, most people are on vacation also. It's a nightmare trying to travel on Semana Santa or Christmas, either by air, public transport or car, learn to plan out of these periods. Week ends with public holidays are also difficult days to travel.

Tipping is hardly necessary. In restaurants, service is nearly always included, and if not they will offer to include it. The only expected tipping is when they help you with heavy luggage at airport or hotel or with musicians playing for you. Typical tip is 1 000 or 2 000. There are often homeless asking for money in the street or people washing wind screens of cars. People typical give a 100 or 200 coin.

If someone is working for you all day, such as house cleaning, handy man, car repair, he will expect between 50 000 and 70 000 or 30 000 till 40 000 if it is half day.

CULTURE AND LEASURE.

Friday and Saturday evening it's party time everywhere: dancing, drinking, eating. Each city has it's Zona Rosa with the main bars, discos and restaurants. In Bogota the most important is Zona T, another one is.

Parque 93 and Primer de Mayo south of the city and less safe. Bear is the most popular drink, next is Aguardiente, a local strong alcohol drink. Dancing is mainly couple dancing. I recommend to learn salsa in order to fully interact. Apart from salsa, other popular latin rythms are Cumbia, Vallenato, Merengue, Bachata, Reggaeton. The nigh ends usually singing old popular Mexican songs named Ranchera. Very popular are the old and colored Chiva buses transformed into driving discos with all-inclusive drinks. Football events, especially when the national team play is a main opportunity to watch the game and party together. Everybody has its national shirt on that day. Unlike Europe, football is as popular among girls as among guys, which makes it much more fun.

For main football or political events, there is the so called "ley seca" where alcohol is forbidden. During Semana Santa also, there is no night entertainment anymore.

Another popular activity is Tejo, a Colombian bowling where a metal ball is used to throw it to a clay target that explodes when hit. Tejo is free but drinking beer is mandatory.

Cajas de Compensacion can also be a good option to have fun. Most offer gymnasium and other sports, but offer also fun educational activities such as dancing or cooking lessons. A great way to meet interesting people as all have a professional activity.

Each region has its festival, but the best one is the Feria de Cali, the Woodstock of Salsa, the world best musicians are all in Cali during the week between Christmas and new year. The second best is the Carnival of Barranquilla. Another great event is Miss Colombia contest.

Cinecolombia http://www.cinecolombia.com/ has cinemas everywhere in Colombia. Bogota is the cultural center of Colombia with numerous cultural events. There are often great free concerts. Bogota has a great natural park, Parque Simon Bolivar. Mundo Aventura and Salitre Magico are the 2 fun parks.

Since the war is over, Colombians start to travel around and enjoy the nature of their country: camping, fishing, cannoning, horse ride, rafting, parasailing, VTT. Within a 2 hours' drive from Bogota it's again tropical climate: Honda West, Villavicencio East and Melgar South. Each have swimming pools, hotels, fincas, discos and so on to have fun on weekends. Melgar especially is great, some kind of Colombian Spring Break atmosphere, the favorite place of college girls from Bogota having fun in shorts and bikini. Piscilago is the biggest waterpark of Latin America, Toni-K is an open air nightclub where everyone ends up drink in the swimming pool.

Most Colombians have families in rural area and would be glad to invite you in the 'finca' of their family. It's a great way of visiting each region of Colombia to rest a week end and enjoy nature. It's also a great way of buying fresh fruits and vegetables and help the rural area. Here is where the heart of Colombia beats.

Air tickets are dirt cheap, in an hour you are in a tropical Caribbean island San Andres is the typical tropical island paradise to invite a hot Colombiana for a romantic week end! Cartagena is for tourists, honey moners or where people spend a week end with their so called "mossas" casual or hidden lovers. Santa Marta instead is the most popular beach resort.

WHERE TO LIVE.

For business or work opportunities, you most probably won't have other choice, it has to be Bogota. All economic, industrial, financial, political power is here. If your business needs proximity to your clients, here is most probably where your market is. More than 50% of companies are here as well as most of Colombians with purchasing power. If your business needs fast logistic, all air freight and express courier arrive and go from Bogota, in other cities you will lose at least a day or two more. Trouble of Bogota is that square meter is much more expensive here than in other cities.

It's also not the greatest place to live. Bogota is the only Latin American city without metro, even Medellin has one. Traffic is horrible, climate is cold and rainy, air pollution. But it's also a vibrant mega city with endless activities. Best is to live between Calle 80 and Calle 146 east of Autopista norte.

If working skill is key to your business, Bogota and Medellin are the only options. Medellin is the second city of Colombia but much better organized than Bogota and a better climate. Paisas have the reputation of being smart and business driven people. Women are supposed to be the most beautiful of Colombia. For an apartment in Bogota, you will have a house with swimming pool in Medellin.

If heavy logistics is key to your business, Barranquilla might be a good option as it is close to the main harbor of Colombia. A container by truck from the harbor of Cartagena to Bogota will cost you more than the same container by boat from Hong Kong till the harbor of Cartagena. Barranquilla is alos the fourth city of Colombia with a lot of economical and industrial activity. Main problem of Barranquilla is that it is hard to find good work force. Costeos have a Caribbean culture have the reputation to be great for partying but lazy for working. I have a dream team in Bogota, I could easily expand my business in Medellin and Cali, but I have tried for 2 years now with several attempts to find someone in Barranquilla without success. Barranquilla is also a hot, dirty and chaotic city; I would definitely not recommend it for living. It even hasn't a see front unlike what you might expect from the geographical location.

Cali even if it is the third city of Colombia has no advantages to offer compared to others except if you love to party as it is the world capital of Salsa. Cali is now the most dangerous city of Colombia.

Cartagena has the main harbor and the main refinery of Colombia, it is also the main touristic city of Colombia. Even if it might seem fun to live on the Caribbean Coast, and it's great for holidays, I would not recommend it for living however, same for Barranquilla or Santa Marta, Everything is slower here even for Colombian standards; I doubt you will deal with it on long term.

These five cities represent 80% of Colombian's economy. If your location is not business related and your only concern is quality of life, I would recommend much smaller cities such as Bucaramanga and Manizales. Both have ideal climates, are organized cities, with a strong European influence.

CULTURAL DIFFERENCES.

I could write a book about cultural differences. If you come from a Southern European country, you will find few cultural differences, as Colombians are Catholic, speak a European language, have a conservative South Mediterrean culture from before the 60. Even if gays are now largely accepted in society, women are still women and men are still gentlemen. Men open still doors for women, help with heavy luggage, pay the bill at restaurant, invite women to dance and so on. Family, religion, home land, army are still important values unlike Europe. Colombians are catholic, go to church and all major events are religion related: marriage, birth, death and so on. Militaries are considered as heroes risking their life to protect the citizens against guerilla. At every check point, people put their tummy up to salute the militaries. The national anthem goes on every day at 6 pm and anyone knows it by heart. People love to wear a "sombrero vueltao', the Tshirt from the national team both being a national symbol, as much as the national flag.

There are no autonomist regions, every citizen no matter race is considered as Colombian. No one is challenging the existing organization and rules. Love and human relations are above anything. If Colombians are patriots, they are not nationalists and are very welcome to foreigners including the millions of Venezuelan refugees that flood the country as Venezuela is collapsing. Colombians are a mix of Europeans, Africans and Indians. There are no racial or religious issues unlike what is happening in Europe and USA.

Regarding religion, if Colombia is a Catholic country, you will soon learn that there is also a minority called "Christianos" Christianos are not homogenous, there are different churches (Pentecostal, Anglican, Evangelism)., but basically they are Protestants. Christianos where often Catholics that changed to Christianos due to some major event in their life. They become very religious and put high moral standards in their life. Christianos become powerful in Colombia as they work hard and perform better in society. In some way, Christianos might be culturally closer to Northern Americans or Northern Europeans. Not the best people to have fun with, but very trustful to work with.

As a Westerner, you will be considered strato 6, which makes it very easy to get any appointment for business. Colombians seem always enthusiastic and will never say no, foreigners might mistake it believing the deal is done. Colombians don't respect time; don't take it as a lack of respect. People are not straight forward in business; take the time to know each other. Business is fair however, a good deal is when both parties win. Reputation in business is important, promises have to be respected. Clients pay their bills.

Employees respect their superiors, are good workers. Take care however that Colombians are very sensitive with critics, management cannot be straightforward. Employees will not rebel when finishing their contract, but they will also leave very easily their company if they have a better opportunity. Relations wither they are professional or personal are very polite and friendly. Don't lose control; it will affect seriously a Colombian.

Social injustice is probably the most difficult part to accept from Colombian society. People identify themselves to the administrative social classes' strato 1 till 6. Social classes don't mix together. As education is expensive, people accept the social class where they come from, it's hard to get out of it. As a foreigner you will be considered as strato 6 and you have the privilege to be accepted by any social class. Due to decades of communist guerilla, Colombians have strong right hand political opinion despite social injustice.

Don't hang around with your favorite T shit of The Che, he is considered here as a violent criminal revolutionary same as any FARC guerilla. Don't make jokes also about Pablo Escobar, Colombians are fed up that foreigners always identify their country with the Medellin cartel and that their country has such a bad reputation. Once you are living here, things are different; people talk and tell their stories. Any Colombian has a close relative that was victim of narco traffic, guerilla or paramilitary terrorism. The main victims were the poorest and the farmers; millions had to move away from violence, Bogota is a city of refugees. All Colombians want peace, but it's hard to accept impunity for the criminals. So just forget your sarcasm, you're revolutionary, idealist or pacifist opinions in Colombia, memories are still painful. Don't judge and listen.

Unlike what is happening in Africa, Middle East or Asia, expats don't live together in Colombia but share their live with Colombians. It's the main reason why foreigners love Colombia: the people. Spanish is mandatory; you just need to learn it. It's not some exotic foreign language, it's a European language and the second most important in the world.

Once you are living here, you learn to live with others. Soon you will be adopted and have your own group of close friends and relatives. For Colombians what other think is very important, take care not to offend anybody. Relations are fluid and friendly, no one want to be in conflict. You are never alone, there is always music. Young people are used to go out or party with family, there is no age barrier as you might find it in Europe or Northern America. The same guy can dance with a ten years old girl and 2 minutes later with an old grand ma, no one cares. There are no large groups of dudes or large groups of girls in discos or bars, people always go out mixed.

Time has another meaning here, learn to accept that people don't respect time. People are physically close; greeting is a hug for men and a kiss for women. It's mandatory to have gestures of tenderness with women or make compliments, forget your stupid culture defining any kind of tenderness as sexual harassment. Therefore, people take care of their physic. Shower twice a day is mandatory; learn to use deodorant and perfume. Men go once a week to the spa for manicure or pedicure and do some effort to dress, nothing gay about it. People are polite, make compliments, finish each word with "ito' or "ita'. Form is more important than substance and result is less important than the way to reach it.

It's mandatory to learn to dance salsa and other latin dances in order to interact with the girls, as partying is a way of living in Colombia. It's the best way to socialize and be accepted. If you learn to live in Colombia, it's a live of party surrounded by beautiful and young girls.

It will be hard to resist against so much tenderness, sooner or later you will hook up and end with a beautiful Colombian novia. Live in couple in Colombia is not the boring couple life in Europe or North America. You will not end up alone with only you're novia till you can't see stand her anymore, you will go on with a rich social life, go out and party together with other friends and hang out with her family. People stay "pendiente' of each other, whatsapp or call on daily basis. Colombianas has high needs in physical tenderness as well as sex, you will never see Latinos sexually frustrated as most men are in Europe or Northern America. To be honest, our hobby here is useless, soon you will find ridiculous to pay for sex.

This is my last advice for people coming to live in Colombia. You probably decided to live in Colombia due to some amazing experiences with Colombian hookers. However, hookers are for visitors who have not the time to date or for married people who have no other option if they are looking for diversity without destroying their marriage. If you are single and start to live in Colombia, don't go mongering. Risk is that you will live in a world of hookers, date hookers and believe that all Colombianas are hookers. If you are with hookers, you will simply not meet, normal Colombianas.

Try to socialize, get a group of female friends to go out every week-end, date girls. There are tons of Colombianas dying for dating a gringo. You are now living in Colombia and have time enough. You can have a dream live surrounded by beautiful young girls, go for it!

This was a never ending report, each time I delayed to publish it as I found again relevant information to add. Anyway, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Jdit
12-31-16, 06:00
I guess most of travelling mongers dream of living as a king in a tropical paradise surrounded by pretty young girls instead of a boring life in a sad city with his angry old wife.

...relevant information to add. Anyway, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.Wow Routard. Great briefing on many levels; valuable information. Thank you, sir. Happy New Year!

JjBee62
12-31-16, 07:36
I may need to pick your brain on some of these things.

I do have one very minor correction to make. If you shop around, many flights in Colombia are as cheap as 65,000 cop. For example, 1 way from Bogota to MDE is as low as $20, although you still need transport from Rionegro to Medellin.

Also, your bus prices are a bit high. Most are 25,000 pesos or less. They aren't really recommended unless you're heading someplace without an airport, or you want to try and enjoy the scenery.

My Colombian amiga and probably my future employer flies frequently around the country and pointed out the cheap fares. If all goes well, I'll be settling in sometime this coming spring.

Thanks for all the information.

Surfer500
12-31-16, 14:49

I have traveled over 80 different countries before I felt in love of Colombia and decided to settle here. It's of course very personal, but having travelled so much, it gives me some kind of legitimacy when it comes to comparison.

I have my own company here, a good knowledge of the Colombian industrial sector and a good network of contacts. If you have any plans to start a business and need some info or advice, feel free to pm me. I would be glad to help you on the same way as other expats helped me when I started my business.

Colombia has a bad reputation, but I use to say that those who criticize Colombia are those who have never been there. I have never met a foreigner that has visited Colombia and that didn't love the country:

- Amazing diversity in nature, landscape, climate due to huge differences in altitude, Pacific and Atlantic Coast, desert, mountain, jungle.

- The best people you can meet: educated, friendly, open minded, welcoming, fun. Due to history, the country has not been spoiled by tourism..If this isn't a report of distinction I don't know what is. Great information as I am in the process of setting roots here myself after visiting so many other countries.

JohnBwoi
01-03-17, 08:49
This report right here makes my membership worth it. Thank you kind sir for the info. Colombia is indeed an amazing country.

START YOUR OWN BUSINESS.

In Northern America or Europe, it's better to be employee, in Colombia it's better to employ. Starting your own business, this is the very best option if you want to live in Colombia. With just 25 000 $ of capital, you can apply for TP7 visa and live permanently as an investor in Colombia. In 2 days you can create your own company and unlike Asia, Africa or Middle East, a local partner is not necessary. Foreign investment is guaranteed to be able to get out of the country the dividends and the capital at any time. Any new company is exempted of income tax during 2 years and it goes gradually up the next 3 years. There is a perfect complete guide on http://www.procolombia.co/ for anyone willing to start a business in Colombia. Only problem is that it is a promotional document from authorities, my presentation is more realistic as I went through all the problems also.

If you want to create a company, easiest is to use a lawyer, it will cost you 600 000. However, it is that easy that you can do it alone. Go to "Camara de Comercio de Bogota" http://www.ccb.org.co/or the one in the city where you want to locate your business and ask for free assessment to explain what to do. You will have to fill in a form and hand over a couple of documents and the next day you have your "Certificado de Camara de Comercio" . With this you have to go DIAN http://www.dian.gov.co/, the tax administration....

CPlusPlus
01-03-17, 19:36
Routard's original Bogota list / detailed post was one of the better posts I have ever read in this website, but I have to say this living in Colombia post is something else, what an incredible amount of detailed information, impossible to ask questions once you read his whole post he basically covered every fucking thing there is to know about Colombia its fucking incredible I am 100% certain that the info he posted is more detailed and valuable than anything you would find at a dictionary sized Colombia guide book you would buy here in the states LOL.

I am a young lad so I am not in that retirement / pension age yet but I already have close to $25 k USD in capital savings in my Bank of America account, so I suppose I could apply for a TP7 Visa, but however I have no idea what in the hell I would do there LOL I am a waiter / bartender here in the states at a fine dining / high end restaurant, low skill job for sure considering I have a degree but I worked in a 9-5 office job before and I preferred to go back to serving, I make around the same maybe with not as much potential for growth as a server / bartender but a lot more lax and easy for sure LOL. Thinking I could open a restaurant there but I think I would prefer to that here LOL plates of food are about 4 times cheaper there no matter what category of food it is plus restaurants are over-saturated there so there is already to much competition. In my case I think I just will stay working here go every 3-4 months like I have been doing to Colombia for a week fresh getaways fucking bitches, drinking and having fun, plus its not like I am not getting pussy here in the states like I imagine its the case with other men here in this forum, but however I agree rhat I can't do 5+ Morboso sexy hooker orgies here in the states which I can easily do in Colombia LOL.

The Tall Man
01-04-17, 04:45
In my 12-15 years reading and posting in this forum and others. I have never seen a better post, completely unbiased, straight forward, detailed to the tee, informative than Routard's post below. This deserves special recognition.

Thank you.

TTM.

Dccpa
02-05-17, 14:51
Outstanding report Routard. Only thing I would add is regarding capital controls. The author of one of the overseas living newsletters claims that at the time you bring money into Colombia, you have to declare that money as investment money. Otherwise you cannot take that money back out of Colombia. Since Colombia taxes worldwide income, I will run various income scenarios and post them here.

Edit to add information:

Wiki link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_in_Colombia

Income Range in UVT[5] Tax Rate
0 to 1,400 0%
>1,400 to 1,700 19%
>1,700 to 4,100 28%
>4,100 33%

The UVT = about $10USD. It looks like amounts over $17000USD are taxed at 28% and over $41000USD are taxed at 33%. Unless there are ways to legally reduce the taxable income, those are fairly high income tax rates and much higher than US income tax rates.

For a single US person, the first $10,000 would be negated by standard deduction and exemption.

For $17000 Colombia tax = $570, US tax = $700 If the income was Social security, the US tax would be -0-

For $41000 Colombia tax = $7290, US tax = $4186 Again if $15-20,000 was Social security, most of the US income would not be taxed and the taxes could be as low as around $800.

JjBee62
02-05-17, 16:00
Outstanding report Routard. Only thing I would add is regarding capital controls. The author of one of the overseas living newsletters claims that at the time you bring money into Colombia, you have to declare that money as investment money. Otherwise you cannot take that money back out of Colombia. Since Colombia taxes worldwide income, I will run various income scenarios and post them here.

Edit to add information:

Income Range in UVT Tax Rate
0 to 1,400 0%
>1,400 to 1,700 19%
>1,700 to 4,100 28%
>4,100 33%

The UVT = about $10USD. It looks like amounts over $17000USD are taxed at 28% and over $41000USD are taxed at 33%. Unless there are ways to legally reduce the taxable income, those are fairly high income tax rates and much higher than US income tax rates.

For a single US person, the first $10,000 would be negated by standard deduction and exemption.

For $17000 Colombia tax = $570, US tax = $700 If the income was Social security, the US tax would be -0-

For $41000 Colombia tax = $7290, US tax = $4186 Again if $15-20,000 was Social security, most of the US income would not be taxed and the taxes could be as low as around $800.Here's a useful article on some of the ins and outs of taxes in Colombia:

http://medellinliving.com/filing-taxes-colombia/

Definitely an area to seek expert advice on.

Routard
02-05-17, 22:03

Edit to add information:

Income Range in UVT Tax Rate
0 to 1,400 0%
>1,400 to 1,700 19%
>1,700 to 4,100 28%
>4,100 33%

For $41000 Colombia tax = $7290, US tax = $4186 Again if $15-20,000 was Social security, most of the US income would not be taxed and the taxes could be as low as around $800.True if coming from USA. But coming from Europe income tax in Colombia is lower. Important is to check also if Colombia has a double taxation agreement with your home country. If not, I would definitively not declare incomes from that country, you might end up paying tax in both countries. DIAN would anyway have no way to find out you have those incomes abroad. If there is a double taxation agreement, both countries are supposed to share information. then you definitively have to declare income from your home country but you can deduct in Colombia tax you had to pay in your home country.

Dccpa
02-05-17, 22:29
Routard are there any local income taxes? In the US there can be state, county or even city income taxes.

Based upon my experience with state income tax returns, you effectively pay the higher of the two tax rates.

JjBee62 thanks for the link. The 25% exemption is nice and the office home expenses are worth learning about.

Routard
02-06-17, 20:16
Routard are there any local income taxes? Yes, it's the so called ICA, but only for companies. It's a % upon sales depending on cities, in Bogota it's around 0. 9%. There is also a tax on real estate, but can't really comment it as I'm not concerned.

Questner
02-07-17, 23:34
I have not got into details but there is ongoing tax reform.

Routard
02-07-17, 23:38
I have not got into details but there is ongoing tax reform.Yes, it's since 1 of January. Basically VAT rises from 16 till 19%, the rest is very technical and concerns more accounting.

Routard
04-13-19, 01:45
If you want to live in Colombia, this might interest you: I am selling my company. It's a tecnical oriented BtoB company based in Bogota with clients nation wide, good reputation as we are leader in our market and profitable as we don't have competitors in Colombia. It will give you permanent residency in Colombia as well as incomes to live. Just contact me through PM for more information.

Igor54
04-22-19, 15:48
Routard, what are your thoughts on medical tourism in Colombia (dental, cosmetic), business as a travel agency (sex tourism to Bogotá), marriage agency (Colombians to US or Canada)?

Thanks.

Routard
04-22-19, 21:35
Routard, what are your thoughts on medical tourism in Colombia (dental, cosmetic), business as a travel agency (sex tourism to Bogot), marriage agency (Colombians to US or Canada)?

Thanks.Hi,

Medical tourism is allready fairly developped, but yes I guess there is room for a well organized agency to put clients and clinics in contact. Marriage agencys allready exist, but to my point of view it's a disapperaring market worldwide since everybody goes online nowadays to find a partner. Sex tourism, just forget it. Of course there is the Mansion in Medellin and there are a couple of informal guys on ISG that will tour you in the redlight light district in Bogota or Medellin but they don't make a living of it, it's just for fun. As often, a hobby is a hobby, business is business.

Cbmcpa
08-20-19, 18:31
Amazing information. Thanks for sharing.

Heading to Bogota next month. Been to MED three times (chasing the dream of a g / f. Didn't happen) . Would be very cool to meet you and get the low-down on the city.

Thanks again!

- Amazing diversity in nature, landscape, climate due to huge differences in altitude, Pacific and Atlantic Coast, desert, mountain, jungle..

Eloket
12-11-19, 13:58
If you want to live in Colombia, this might interest you: I am selling my company. It's a tecnical oriented BtoB company based in Bogota with clients nation wide, good reputation as we are leader in our market and profitable as we don't have competitors in Colombia. It will give you permanent residency in Colombia as well as incomes to live. Just contact me through PM for more information.I tried to PM you but your inbox is full.

Miami Bob
03-09-20, 03:55
Hi,

This older Miami guy.

Is in need of complex expensive.

Work--oral surgery & complex.

Prosthetic. Miami dentist & oral surgeons are talking about big money.

Cartagena would be my first choice.

I need a great dental team. English is helpful.

But not necessary.

Please advise.

P.S. My Buenos Aires dentist has left Argentina RC.

Bob.

Fun Luvr
03-10-20, 17:46
Hi,

This older Miami guy.

But not necessary.

Please advise.

Bob.My recommendation is go to Costa Rica. IMO, the dentistry there is more advanced than in Colombia. I have used both.

Blue Touch
03-16-20, 04:15
Try Big Smile in Tesoro mall.

Hi,

This older Miami guy.

But not necessary.

Please advise.

Bob.

Radar99
04-04-20, 10:44
Yes, it's the so called ICA, but only for companies. It's a % upon sales depending on cities, in Bogota it's around 0. 9%. There is also a tax on real estate, but can't really comment it as I'm not concerned.Sorry for the noob question but what's ICA? Is it some kind of tax?

Routard
06-23-20, 14:02
Sorry for the noob question but what's ICA? Is it some kind of tax?ICA is the city tax.

LionBacker
07-18-21, 16:41
Hey guys,

I want to quit my job and then move to Medellin for a year. I have enough money saved up so that's not a issues, and I've never been married, or have kids so nothing holding me back except that I am in a comfortable job that if I leave I may not be able to find a good job like that when I come back but if I don't leave I may regret not going in the first place.

Do you guys think it's worth leaving a nice comfortable job to travel and date, go to the gym and get back into shape, take salsa classes for a 12-18 months? I've been studying Spanish and getting better as time goes on.

Anyone moved to Colombia and could give me their perspective on this and if it's worth it?

SethMacfarlane
07-18-21, 19:31
Hey guys,

I want to quit my job and then move to Medellin for a year. I have enough money saved up so that's not a issues, and I've never been married, or have kids so nothing holding me back except that I am in a comfortable job that if I leave I may not be able to find a good job like that when I come back but if I don't leave I may regret not going in the first place.

Do you guys think it's worth leaving a nice comfortable job to travel and date, go to the gym and get back into shape, take salsa classes for a 12-18 months? I've been studying Spanish and getting better as time goes on.

Anyone moved to Colombia and could give me their perspective on this and if it's worth it?Sounds like a great job, any chance you can remote? Thats been the best part of the shit show called covid, almost all jobs can be done remotely. I haven't been in an office setting in a year, just wish the phils was open!

Villainy
07-18-21, 19:42
Hey guys,

Anyone moved to Colombia and could give me their perspective on this and if it's worth it?So have you checked out the visa requirements? You can come in on a tourist visa for 3 months and you can go to Migracion Colombia and get a 3 month extension but you aren't allowed to stay more than 6 month without some other type of visa. Maybe a student visa if you are willing to sign up at a local university and pre-pay for 6 months of Spanish lessons. You'll need to do some homework if you want to go forward with your plan.

LionBacker
07-18-21, 20:09
Sounds like a great job, any chance you can remote? Thats been the best part of the shit show called covid, almost all jobs can be done remotely. I haven't been in an office setting in a year, just wish the phils was open!I can get a remote job in my field, but it's not the same as the job I have now, the I'm also concerned with the idea of just having fun for a year and working on myself. It's sounds kind of irresponsible on my part, as we are told to work hard and save for retirement. I talked to my friend about this issue, and he said "you already made up your mind, you're just looking for validation of the decision", I think he has a point but I'm not sure if it's the right decision.

Mike963
07-19-21, 00:02
Hi mate,

A 12 month unpaid break from your employer? Unpaid!! Should work, as there is no expense from the company to you being in the pay roll!

I have taken a year off (I live in UK) , and lived in an Asian country. Believe me, that was my best ever decision I took!! Looking forward to take another 1 year to live in Colombia too!!

Want to travel accross the country!

Good Luck.

Hey guys,

Anyone moved to Colombia and could give me their perspective on this and if it's worth it?

Lefeu
07-19-21, 05:36
...Do you guys think it's worth leaving a nice comfortable job to travel and date, go to the gym and get back into shape, take salsa classes for a 12-18 months? I've been studying Spanish and getting better as time goes on.

Anyone moved to Colombia and could give me their perspective on this and if it's worth it?I have not moved to Colombia or any other country, but I would do it in flash if I were in your shoes. As Peter Lynch said (or maybe someone else said it): nobody will say from their death bed: I wish I spent more time at the office.

You will have plenty of time to make up the lost income, but the memory of experience will be with you forever.

LionBacker
07-19-21, 23:31
Hi mate,

A 12 month unpaid break from your employer? Unpaid!! Should work, as there is no expense from the company to you being in the pay roll!

I have taken a year off (I live in UK) , and lived in an Asian country. Believe me, that was my best ever decision I took!! Looking forward to take another 1 year to live in Colombia too!!

Want to travel accross the country!

Good Luck.Yea, I'm going to see if my employer would go for giving a extended break, if that works out then I'm going to leave ASAP.

LionBacker
07-19-21, 23:34
I have not moved to Colombia or any other country, but I would do it in flash if I were in your shoes. As Peter Lynch said (or maybe someone else said it): nobody will say from their death bed: I wish I spent more time at the office.

You will have plenty of time to make up the lost income, but the memory of experience will be with you forever.Thanks bro, yea you are right, I can always have a job and save later in life. I won't be young forever. I think I just need that push to do it, for example if my boss were to fired me, then it would make the decision to go to Colombia so much easier.

ChuchoLoco
07-20-21, 02:55
Thanks bro, yea you are right, I can always have a job and save later in life. I won't be young forever. I think I just need that push to do it, for example if my boss were to fired me, then it would make the decision to go to Colombia so much easier.You won't be young forever, you're right but remember this, getting a well paying rewarding job is harder when you are older and especially with a break in your work record.

Try and get a leave of absence and even a remote job with same company. Maybe it won't pay as much but you will have continuity and maybe your old job or better when you get back.

Living somewhere is not the same as being on vacation And you may find that you don't like living there and spending all your savings as much as you thought you would.

I totally understand that enjoying life is more fun and easier when you are young so maybe you will be lucky but try first for a leave and don't burn any bridges.

And don't forget what you have been told about visas.

Good luck!

Roger1286
07-20-21, 11:49
Hey guys,

Anyone moved to Colombia and could give me their perspective on this and if it's worth it?I am at that stage in life where I am in my winter years and finding myself looking back wondering where spring, summer and autumn went; if I could relive my life what would I have done differently. The number one thing by far is that I wish I had traveled more. But alas, my reality is that I am 74 years old and have been married over 50 years. But if I was single I would do what ever it took to be the world's most interesting man! Having a boss that would allow for taking a year off would be wonderful IMO.

So how did I come across this post. I still monger, albeit, very carefully and if the variants allow I will visit Cartagena at the end of the year and my monger mind wonders how to do a short-time event if the opportunity allows for some time away from the spouse. Anyway, good luck with your decision!

LionBacker
07-20-21, 19:02
I am at that stage in life where I am in my winter years and finding myself looking back wondering where spring, summer and autumn went; if I could relive my life what would I have done differently. The number one thing by far is that I wish I had traveled more. But alas, my reality is that I am 74 years old and have been married over 50 years. But if I was single I would do what ever it took to be the world's most interesting man! Having a boss that would allow for taking a year off would be wonderful IMO.

So how did I come across this post. I still monger, albeit, very carefully and if the variants allow I will visit Cartagena at the end of the year and my monger mind wonders how to do a short-time event if the opportunity allows for some time away from the spouse. Anyway, good luck with your decision!Thank you! This post really made me think about the issue from a different perspective! I'm the type of person that when I am in a comfortable position, I do not want to leave and put myself in a position that I am not as comfortable in, even if it meant that I had alot to gain. But yes, I really do think I won't be regretting traveling too much in my winter days, now I think I'm just going to plan a exit strategy at work, then place all my furniture in storage, look for a furnished apartment in Medellin. I have friends who live there right now that can help me with that. I think in the next 12 months I'm going to make this happen.

Xpartan
07-21-21, 05:42
Thanks bro, yea you are right, I can always have a job and save later in life. I won't be young forever. I think I just need that push to do it, for example if my boss were to fired me, then it would make the decision to go to Colombia so much easier.I have no idea what you do, but if you can work remotely you could ask your boss for a working sabbatical with a reduced pay. Your boss saves on labor, and you get to keep you comfortable job when you're ready to resume fulltime.

If not, I agree with the others. When you get more luggage in life, travel tends to become a distant afterthought. Take a year and hopefully see places beyond mongering.

Igor54
07-22-21, 12:39
Hey guys,

Anyone moved to Colombia and could give me their perspective on this and if it's worth it?You don't need salsa to see the girls, they don't need that. Bring the money. Gym is good. How old are you and what are you looking for? Are you looking for a wife or just to see the girls for money? Take a vacation for a month or two and try first. You will spend more money but. In this case you will keep your job and understand what you need. Don't think that Medellin will solve other problems just because you are there. And if you want to get a young wife there, keep in mind that as soon as you will bring her to your country (USA) she will be exactly the same as any chick in US in two months. You can't change a prostitute, soon or later she start to sell her pussy in your country. If she will dump you later, you will be responsible to support her.

Edward Q
07-31-21, 16:02
Looking for a dentist in MDE. Any recommendations?

Orgasm Donor
08-20-21, 03:17
Looking for a dentist in MDE. Any recommendations?In my experience, going to a dentist in MDE is like going to barber shop to get your hair cut. The office will be under one dentists name, but there are several chairs (leased? Rented?) by other dentists, and they get use of the facility / office. So, it is sort of random who you get or is available until you get the card of a particular dentist you like.

I had a crown done and she did a mediocre job.

A year later I needed a emergency root canal on a Friday evening in San Diego CA. Went to Tijuana, went to an office called I LOVE MY DENTIST and a Computer Modeled crown was made for me, and it was an absolute perfect fit on first try. The final fitting is the worst part and most crucial part when you been in the chair most of the day.

The point I'm getting to is if you need a crown, search for a dentist that has this technology.

Sorry can't be more help, I'm looking for a solid dentist in MDE myself.

ChuchoLoco
08-20-21, 19:52
Looking for a dentist in MDE. Any recommendations?I have it from a guy who lives in Medellin and had some face lift done in Medellin and a whole lot of new teeth, crowns and caps done but he went to Costa Rica for that. He said plastic surgery can't be beat in Colombia but dental work should be done in Costa Rica.

BigButtDetecto
10-10-21, 23:17
Hey guys,

Anyone moved to Colombia and could give me their perspective on this and if it's worth it?I wanted to move to Colombia to retire next year but reading the internet, I stumbled on a big roadblock that nobody mentions in the rosy picture: the double taxation;.

If I move to Colombia, they will tax me again on my social security income and 401 K at about 34%; they will tax me on income for which I have already been taxed in the US. On the top of it, you don't get a tax break for being married.

So I changed my mind and will spend only 6 months so I will avoid the Colombian income tax.

BigButtDetecto
10-10-21, 23:26
True if coming from USA. But coming from Europe income tax in Colombia is lower. Important is to check also if Colombia has a double taxation agreement with your home country. If not, I would definitively not declare incomes from that country, you might end up paying tax in both countries. DIAN would anyway have no way to find out you have those incomes abroad. If there is a double taxation agreement, both countries are supposed to share information. then you definitively have to declare income from your home country but you can deduct in Colombia tax you had to pay in your home country.Wrong. DIAN can find out about your wealth; they don't have double taxation agreement with US but they share infos and you may end up paying a huge fine.

Knowledge
10-11-21, 00:03
Check with an accountant. Ask specifically about foreign tax credit. You can also look it up on it's. Gov. I have a feeling that is not where you stumbled upon your Internet discovery.

I wanted to move to Colombia to retire next year but reading the internet, I stumbled on a big roadblock that nobody mentions in the rosy picture: the double taxation;.

If I move to Colombia, they will tax me again on my social security income and 401 K at about 34%; they will tax me on income for which I have already been taxed in the US. On the top of it, you don't get a tax break for being married.

So I changed my mind and will spend only 6 months so I will avoid the Colombian income tax.

Surfer500
10-11-21, 01:33
I wanted to move to Colombia to retire next year but reading the internet, I stumbled on a big roadblock that nobody mentions in the rosy picture: the double taxation;.

So I changed my mind and will spend only 6 months so I will avoid the Colombian income tax.Doesn't work the way you think it does, your not doubled tax, but pay the difference between what you would owe in Colombia based on their tax formula for your income. So if you paid say $ 1,000 in the USA based on your reported income as shown on your 1040 and using Dian's formula based on your income in Colombia you would be paying $ 1,500 in Colombia you only pay the difference of $ 500 to the Colombian government which would be a write off on your USA tax return for the following year. And retirement accounts like a 401 K are not taxed. Albeit they have other things they look at and when you exceed a certain amount of wealth based on your assets another set of taxes come into play.

Nounce
10-11-21, 02:12
... they will tax me on income for which I have already been taxed in the US.....It depends on your income amount. There are a couple of ways that you won't be double taxed. Tax paid in Colombia can be deducted as a US tax credit is one. You need to check with your accountant.

Villainy
11-22-21, 00:50
It depends on your income amount. There are a couple of ways that you won't be double taxed. Tax paid in Colombia can be deducted as a US tax credit is one. You need to check with your accountant.Very good Nounce! I was a CPA but never did taxes (other than my own) and I remembered that any foreign income taxes paid were a direct credit (not deduction) on your US tax return. I moved to Colombia as a resident in 2019 so paid taxes for 2020. I revisited the tax rules on foreign income taxes and the rule hasn't changed. So your comment is still true and accurate. Any taxes you pay on income here in Colombia will be a direct credit on your US tax return. In almost all cases that means it is a net nothing-burger.