PDA

View Full Version : US Visa for TGF

Daddy San
02-08-17, 14:13
Hi guys,

I need some advice.

The 'sister' of my current TGF has a boyfriend in the US.

He is divorced, retired and living comfortably.

She is a 'teenager long past expiration date' to put it very politely, an expert massage therapist, working at legit MP.

They have been together for 5 years, still very much in love, if HIS twice daily phone calls can be interpreted that way. Given her limited English, I don't know, how they communicate.

Now they have decided for her to visit USA. So, she needs a visa and that's where the problems started.

Her first visa application was declined, without any official explanation, which seems to be the normal MO, AFAIK.

He has of course invited her, bought her return ticket and pledged to support her financially her in every way. This seems not to be enough. And no, she not a Muslim, but a Buddhist and Thai.

The unofficial reason for declining her visitors visa was her lack of ties in Thailand (no direct family, not much property, etc.) and hence little incentive to leave the US to go home.

I would think, that her situation is not unique and that many Asian women do get a visa.

Now here is my question, directed a those of you, who have been in a similar situation and / or posses the pertinent know-how.

What are the do's and dont's of successfully applying for a visitor / tourist visa for your TGF?

Answers via PM are also welcome.

Thanks in advance.

DS.

Golfinho
02-08-17, 14:18
Hi guys,

I need some advice.

The 'sister' of my current TGF has a boyfriend in the US.

He is divorced, retired and living comfortably.

She is a 'teenager long past expiration date' to put it very politely, an expert massage therapist, working at legit MP.

They have been together for 5 years, still very much in love, if HIS twice daily phone calls can be interpreted that way. Given her limited English, I don't know, how they communicate.

Now they have decided for her to visit USA. So, she needs a visa and that's where the problems started.

Her first visa application was declined, without any official explanation, which seems to be the normal MO, AFAIK..Get married-san.

Crazy Jim Wood
02-08-17, 14:26
I am sure the consular section knows she is a pro. It is also probably true that she has no property in Thailand even if they did not think she is a pro and they are completely within their normal SOP to refuse for that reason. The fact there is some rich guy in the USA willing to support her makes it even more likely she will try to over stay, she can rely on his support, maybe eventually start her own little massage business in the USA, she will be financially much better off and really has zero reason to go back to Thailand. if it is a more normal relationship with a Thai woman more similar to this man with a college degree and a job a house and able to buy her own airplane ticket and she is going to have a more equal relationship go visit him then come back to Thailand maybe it is different. You must admit the relationship would be difficult to believe if they were both Americans, we would all assume it is a relationship based on money and not romance. The consular section has seen it a thousand times before. It seems like they are not going to allow it. If this man is really serious about her and goes to Thailand and there is more evidence of a serious fiance relationship maybe she can get a fiance visa based on that stronger evidence of a real relationship. But a fiance visa is also easy to abuse so they might reject for the same reason. If he is really serious and marries her, probably she has no problem getting a green card, and I think many people would just skip the fiance visa and get married and go right for the green card if they are serious. If she is married, they know she won't go to the USA and overstay, since at that point she will be able to remain legally.

Daddy San
02-09-17, 03:57
I am sure the consular section knows she is a pro. It is also probably true that she has no property in Thailand even if they did not think she is a pro and they are completely within their normal SOP to refuse for that reason. The fact there is some rich guy in the USA willing to support her makes it even more likely she will try to over stay, she can rely on his support, maybe eventually start her own little massage business in the USA, she will be financially much better off and really has zero reason to go back to Thailand. if it is a more normal relationship with a Thai woman more similar to this man with a college degree and a job a house and able to buy her own airplane ticket and she is going to have a more equal relationship go visit him then come back to Thailand maybe it is different. You must admit the relationship would be difficult to believe if they were both Americans, we would all assume it is a relationship based on money and not romance. The consular section has seen it a thousand times before. It seems like they are not going to allow it. If this man is really serious about her and goes to Thailand and there is more evidence of a serious fiance relationship maybe she can get a fiance visa based on that stronger evidence of a real relationship. But a fiance visa is also easy to abuse so they might reject for the same reason. If he is really serious and marries her, probably she has no problem getting a green card, and I think many people would just skip the fiance visa and get married and go right for the green card if they are serious. If she is married, they know she won't go to the USA and overstay, since at that point she will be able to remain legally.From what you are saying, while meaning well, they, or rather he, did just about everything wrong in setting up the visa application. Instead of pledging to sponsor her, she should have been self-sponsoring herself, I. E. Bought the ticket, health insurance etc. Herself, which she has plenty of her own money for. He could have reimbursed her afterwards. In an income statement from her employer, originally in Thai, after translation, she is termed as 'masseuse', which in the bigot minds of some people means 'pro' and probably leads to automatic denial of a visa. In fact, she is as far from being a 'pro' as women in legit MP can get. But who cares in this in this post-truth age.

Thanks a lot for giving me some new insights.

Wimble
02-09-17, 05:44
From what you are saying, while meaning well, they, or rather he, did just about everything wrong in setting up the visa application. Instead of pledging to sponsor her, she should have been self-sponsoring herself, I. E. Bought the ticket, health insurance etc. Herself, which she has plenty of her own money for. He could have reimbursed her afterwards. In an income statement from her employer, originally in Thai, after translation, she is termed as 'masseuse', which in the bigot minds of some people means 'pro' and probably leads to automatic denial of a visa. In fact, she is as far from being a 'pro' as women in legit MP can get. But who cares in this in this post-truth age.

Thanks a lot for giving me some new insights.IMHO, they missed their window of opportunity that has been open for the past 8 years. The legal way is the correct way though not usually the expedient way. Given the number of undocumented persons (aka illegal immigrants in non US countries) in the US she could have entered and blended in. Rules have been / are changed to make life easier for that group. (Several of Obamaa's relatives were identified as "undocumented") So long as she does not travel across international borders and wanting to return immediately, she will be OK. Ever so often there is an amnesty program. If she wanted to do it the correct legal way, there are ways that a lawyer could guide them through the maze and clean up her paperwork to boost her chances. The problem is now there is a file on her with her current status. They should talk to a lawyer / person who specializes in immigration and see what options are available.

I would read stickman's Thai blog. I seem to remember some postings on this subject.

IMHO, the rather puritanical and prudish US should allow more Buddhist Thai masseuse in and less Islamic techies. Just my 2 cents.