PDA

View Full Version : Hiring a motorbike in Pattaya

Sami29
02-09-17, 17:32
This is a very interesting topic for some tourists who wish to have fun in Pattaya but at the same time it has become frustrating in recent years. In the following report I shall explain step by step the procedures of hiring a motorbike and the risks attached to it.

1-Where to find a cheap and reliable motorbike.

In every corner and in every soi in Pattaya there are places where you can hire a motorbike. The cost varies according to the days of hiring but in most places it won't be less than 150 baht a day. Most of these motorbike owners are not reliable and at the time of technical problems will not be of any assistance. The first thing you need to know that, in addition to the total cost of the days of hiring, you also must pay advance not less than 1000 (one thousand baht) and your full details and address. I have been hiring a motorbike in Pattaya since 1990 and had many technical problems and never had assistance from the owners. Fortunately, in recent years I have discovered an honest person who is, first very reliable, and can assist at the time of technical breakdown. His name is Sutep and he can be easily found in Pattaya Klang in front of Turkish Kebab restaurant, near Queen Hotel or the Old Tops supermarket. This is his tel. Number 0813445113 (tell him you are Sam's friend).

He charges only 100 baht a day and his motorbikes are fairly new. Furthermore, he is honest and a very social person.

2- Recent pressure on tourists.

Well, this is a very sensitive issue that I have never come across during my years of visits to Thailand and in particular to Pattaya. When we speak of pressure we mean Thai police pressure. It was only in recent years that they have started to chase tourists riding motorbikes. To start with, let state with emphasis, that 90% of Pattaya local residents ride motorbike and less that 10% have motorbike license. As a matter of fact, most Thai people do not follow traffic rules while riding motorbike.

However, Thai people are pretty sure that they are not the target of Thai police. After all, they do not have money to pay the fine. On the beach road the main traffic office is located and is always packed with tourists who wait their turn to pay fine for not having a proper license. Now, what is a proper license? Thai police do not accept country license, the license issued in the country of origin. They do not recognize either the international license issued according to the Convention on Road Traffic of 8 November 1968. Sometimes, I wonder if there is an article in Thai Traffic rules which requests a license for riding a motorbike. Whatever it is, if you are caught, then you are directed to the main office on the beach road and there you must pay 400 baht. What is the solution then?

The solution:

You must have a Thai license and there are two ways of getting a Thai license. Either, you pay 5000 (five thousand Thai baht) to a Visa Service Office or you do it yourself by going to The Department of Land Transport which is about 20 minutes far from the city of Pattaya and the cost will be around 300 (three hundred baht). Most visa service offices in Pattaya can do it but the most efficient one is Visa Service located off Buakhao Rd. (329/35 M. 9 Soi Buakhao Nongprue. Tel. 086-8517424). You won't miss it; it is opposite an open bar. The owner's name is Nat.

You are required to bring your original country license and your passport. The fee is 5000 baht and is done in one day. They will take you to the Dept. Where you will have eye and other technical tests and then you will have your Thai license immediately.

In recent months and apart from the license issue, there has been another serious problem; breath tests. Tourist on motorbikes are stopped while leaving bars and given a breath test. If alcohol is above average the fee is 500 baht. Parking on pedestrian line is also chargeable for tourists, the fee is 500 baht. Anyway, if you want to hire a motorbike to have fun and enjoy your stay in Pattaya, be prepared to donate some money to Thai Police who are on the verge of bankruptcy.

Whoreman
02-09-17, 18:27
You must have a Thai license and there are two ways of getting a Thai license. Either, you pay 5000 (five thousand Thai baht) to a Visa Service Office or you do it yourself by going to The Department of Land Transport which is about 20 minutes far from the city of Pattaya and the cost will be around 300 (three hundred baht). Why would anyone be stupid enough to pay a 'Visa Service Officer' (whatever that is) 5000 baht for something you can easily do yourself for a few hundred? But whether you're with one of these clowns or not, you need a work permit or certificate of residence from Thai immigration to get a driving licence.

Paolo99
02-10-17, 21:57
They do not recognize either the international license issued according to the Convention on Road Traffic of 8 November 1968.Is it something new? I've been checked many times in last years and never had any problem by showing them my International driving licence.

I can confirm for the breath test. I've been there only four days a few months back and I've been checked once, something that never happened before. It was at the intersection between 2nd road and Pattaya Klang, after that I was thinking about taking small streets only to avoid them.

Christian G
02-11-17, 17:22
Is it something new? I've been checked many times in last years and never had any problem by showing them my International driving licence.For what I know Thailand recognize and accept only the International Drive Licence issued according to the Convention on Road Traffic of Geneva 1949.

Christian G
02-11-17, 17:26
Why would anyone be stupid enough to pay a 'Visa Service Officer' (whatever that is) 5000 baht for something you can easily do yourself for a few hundred? But whether you're with one of these clowns or not, you need a work permit or certificate of residence from Thai immigration to get a driving licence.Agree. Just need a few hours and few baht for have a Thai driving licence, not need any "Visa Service". Not a big problem to have a certificate of residence from Immigration, is cost around 200 b. You also need to stop in a clinic for a medical certificate, cost 100/150 b.

Christian G
02-11-17, 17:37
there has been another serious problem; breath tests. Tourist on motorbikes are stopped while leaving bars and given a breath test. If alcohol is above average the fee is 500 baht.If your alcohol is above the average you will be in big problem. Not only a 500 b fee. So if you like to drink, not drive in Thailand (and of course, in every other part of the world), your holiday could become a nightmare.