PDA

View Full Version : Medellin Restaurant Reviews

Alliwantislove
12-09-17, 22:03
I've never created a thread before but I'm giving it a shot since I've appreciated restaurant reviews on ArgentinaPrivate.

Chesscat
12-09-17, 22:28
I heartily approve!

I've never created a thread before but I'm giving it a shot since I've appreciated restaurant reviews on ArgentinaPrivate.

JjBee62
12-10-17, 00:22
I've never created a thread before but I'm giving it a shot since I've appreciated restaurant reviews on ArgentinaPrivate.Tell me what type of restaurant you're looking for and I probably can give a review of something. I've been to 60 or more places so far.

Alliwantislove
12-10-17, 01:01
A sweetheart and I discovered this place last night when the place we were headed to turned out to be too noisy for us.

The Grill Station Burger - https://www.facebook.com/Thegrillstation/.

Three locations, we were at the one in Poblado.

Menus in Spanish and English.

She had juice and a wrap of some kind, I had a burger and fries and a Corona. The total damage was $20.00 US. Maybe not the very best burger I've ever had but pretty damn good.

There was a selection of burgers and other things like the wrap which the sweetheart had. I didn't study the menu. I assume it's online.

They also have a selection of imported beers so expensive that I had never heard of them.

We ate on a balcony overlooking the street. Fairly quiet. Very casual. No table cloths or candles.

Chesscat
12-10-17, 01:13
ttps://medellinliving.com/el-viejo-y-el-pancake-american-breakfast/

As far as a UrL goes, I give up. But it's called "El viejo y el Pancake" on la 70 very near the stadium. It's not really a store front, it's more like a platform selling delicious b'fast.

La 70.

Somebody told me about this, but sounds very good and not too expensive.

Norman Stormin
12-10-17, 23:19
Calle 51 (Boyaca) between Carrera 52 (Carabobo) and Carrera 51 (the girlie street).

Across from la Vera Cruz church.

Open 06:00 am to 8:00 pm 365 days a year.

Fine bakery and restaurant. Full breakfast 3,900, economical lunch 5,900, full bandeja lunch 7,900, beer 2,000, juice and milk 1,000, coffee 600.

The frugal gourmet's answer to Poblado.

Chesscat
12-11-17, 00:01
Good info! I wll be down in El Centro in about ten days, hope to eat there!

Calle 51 (Boyaca) between Carrera 52 (Carabobo) and Carrera 51 (the girlie street).

Across from la Vera Cruz church.

Open 06:00 am to 8:00 pm 365 days a year.

Fine bakery and restaurant. Full breakfast 3,900, economical lunch 5,900, full bandeja lunch 7,900, beer 2,000, juice and milk 1,000, coffee 600.

The frugal gourmet's answer to Poblado.

Norman Stormin
12-11-17, 23:13
I will be hosting my annual Christmas Dinner for the Vera Cruz working girls on the 25th. Hope you will join us. (casual but no shorts or sandals).

Good info! I wll be down in El Centro in about ten days, hope to eat there!

Chesscat
12-12-17, 01:20
Thanks Norman Stormin I will be there with bells on.

I will be hosting my annual Christmas Dinner for the Vera Cruz working girls on the 25th. Hope you will join us. (casual but no shorts or sandals).

PirateMorgan
12-12-17, 01:32
http://parmessano.com.co/

I just wish they were here in Bogota. Dollar for dollar, maybe my favorite restaurant in the world! For real. Mushroom soup, ceasar salad. Everything. And the prices couldn't be more reasonable. I always had great service. Wish I could go right now.

Norman Stormin
12-12-17, 14:01
The best I have found in eight years of extensive research.

Fantastic ambiance in the middle of the Botanical Gardens (a quiet oasis in the middle of a chaotic city).

First world quality, presentation, and service.

Located in the North end of Jardin Botanico (metro universitat).

Open for lunch daily 12:00 to 3:30 dinner 6:30 to 9:00.

Appetizers around 20,000 Mains around 50,000.

https://www.botanicomedellin.org/servicios/alimentos-y-bebidas/restaurante-in-situ/menus/

The frugal gourmet.

Chesscat
12-12-17, 22:33
https://www.beefco.com/products/colombian-grassfed-beef

Is it your understanding that all cows are grass-fed in Colombia? Is the steak really tasty? Where are some places for an awesome (really awesome) steak?

Chesscat
12-13-17, 01:08
This may be too much info, but years ago I went to a restaurant, sort of a double date, but I had been given, or taken, and overdose of some local drug, like say ecstasy. So it was a very nice, my recollection is extremely nice, sort of little Italian restaurant, and there was a garden in back. You could get up from your meal, which I did, and walk back in the garden. There were colored lights, and a swimming pool, also in colors. Does anyone know where this restaurant is? I suspect it's near Poblado. Thanks.

Norman Stormin
12-13-17, 15:39
Is it your understanding that all cows are grass-fed in Colombia? Is the steak really tasty? Where are some places for an awesome (really awesome) steak?I can't find a BEEF steak let alone a "really awesome" one. In fact, I am in Argentina right now on a BEEF eating holiday from Colombia (notwithstanding I have exceeded my 180 days for 2017). I converted to chicken and fish long ago. I believe the meat you buy in the butcher shop or what is served in a restaurant are grass fed milk COWS too old to produce milk. The only good beef is imported. (McDonalds beef is imported from Chile). I have found 3 places with a good BEEF steak (2 of which are out of business because imported beef is too expensive).

Try the third floor food court of the Hollywood building on Carabobo. (Diagonally across from the old palace of justice). If memory serves me, it is called Carbon & Sabor. As you come up the escaletor, it is straight ahead. If you come at 12:15, it has the longest order line. Filet mingon is US quality about 20,000.

The frugal gourmet

Alliwantislove
12-13-17, 18:39
I tried this a few night ago. Somehow struck me as classy although there are no table cloths and the napkins are paper. Dim lighting. Pretty quite. Carrying on a conversation would be no problem. The name of the place implies that there is a bar but I could neither see nor hear one. No TV that I could see or hear.

Roofed over of course but pretty much open air. So on a cooler and / or windy night I'd try to sit well inside.

I had a nice piece of salmon which came with some vegetables and I ordered french fries. I had flan for dessert which was about the same size and shape as a piece of cheesecake. It even had the consistency as cheesecake. I. E. Pretty dense. Very good but very filling.

Total damage, and I also had a copa de tinto, was US $30.

JjBee62
12-13-17, 21:04
Since I've talked to a few guys who don't eat anything too exotic, here's a list of places to get a good burger. Most are in Poblado or Envigado, although a couple have multiple locations. No particular order.

Barbacoa, Burger and Beer (multiple locations) La Strada. Avenida Poblado #1 Sur -80. La Strada has several excellent restaurants, if you're not looking for a Burger.

Chef Burger (multiple locations) Los Contenadores. Carrera 48 #26 Sur - 65, Envigado. LOS Contenadores is another collection of restaurants, in Envigado on Avenida Las Vegas.

Jack and Roll Calle 30 Sur #44 a-24, Envigado. This year's winner of best burger in Medellin. There are a lot of other great restaurants in the immediate area.

Classic Diner Carrera 43 A #29 Sur-85, Envigado. Classic 50's diner that's worth a visit. It's also located in a complex with several restaurants.

Monsieur Burger Calle 8 # 43 A- 89 Close to Parque Poblado. Best French fries I've found in Medellin.

Best Burger Calle 8 #43 A - 79, right next to Monsieur Burger. I prefer the burgers here to Monsieur Burger, but the fries are just average.

Jenson's Bar Carrera 37 #10-29, close to Parque Lleras. My go to for beers and burger.

Wolf662
12-13-17, 22:16
Right next to Botero Plaza, at the back left corner of the Hotel Nutribara, corner of Carr 51 & Ave Maracaibo / Calle 53, a Brase Pan outlet, open 24 HR, cheap good food.

Dishes go from 12 k to 16 k ($4 to $6).

Here's 2 pictures of their wall menu's and a pic of the outside sign:

Wolf662
12-14-17, 01:45
Botaniko bistro cafe bar-next door to New Life.

Calle 56 #43 - 43.

Hours: Mon. Thu 11:30 am - 10:00 pm Fri. Sat 11:30 am - 11:00 pm.

https://www.facebook.com/botanikobistrocafe

Hacienda -classic Colombian, balcony seating above walking street Junin.

Carrera 49,52-98 Paseo Junin.

Sun 12:00 pm - 6:00 pm Mon. Fri 12:00 pm - 8:00 pm Sat 12:00 pm - 10:00 pm.

http://www.restaurantehacienda.com/

Salon Versalles-good breakfast, also Junin Walking street.

Carrera 49 # 53-39 Paseo Junin.

Sun 8:00 am - 6:00 pm Mon. Sat 7:00 am - 9:00 pm.

http://versallesmedellin.com/

Cafe Colombo Credenza.

Carrera 45 No 53-24.10th Floor.

Monday 12:00 pm - 9:00 pm Tuesday-Friday 12:00 pm - 10:00 pm Saturday 12:00 pm - 9:00 am.

http://www.credenzafoods.com/

Restaurante Hatoviejo.

Carrera 47 No. 52-17.

11:00 am - 10:00 pm M-Sun.

http://hatoviejo.com/en/

Lefeu
12-14-17, 03:58
I have been meaning to visit this place but never made it, until a few days ago. It is a small place that serves Spanish tapas. It is located at Carrera 37 # 8 A-29, next door to cafe Pergamino, and across the street from Velvet cafe. It opens at 6 pm.

When I went there, I had their tortilla, patata bravas, and their pulpo gallego. The tortilla and the pulpo were excellent. The pata brava dish was ok. I also had a copa of Sangria, which was excellent. My total bill came to 90 k pesos. I will ptobably go back but will try their gambas dish, instead of the pata brava dish.

Knowledge
03-03-18, 19:28
Restaurants I recommend, and if requested I can review them:

-Mistura (any branch).

-Oci. Mde.

-La Causa (Provenza & Laureles).

-Credenza (Centro).

-Kabuki.

I am posting this out of surprise I don't see them mentioned in this thread. I get the impression Hacienda and Hato Viejo are at the high end of preferences based on what I read in this thread. I did see in Situ mentioned. That is more to my liking but I find the location a little inconvenient. La Provincia is pretty close to the gringo inn. I don't recommend it because it is much more form than substance and it's a pain in the neck to get a reservation there. It's not worth the effort in my opinion. There are worthwhile places around Lleras but they've been reviewed to death so I won't spend time on them here.

JjBee62
03-03-18, 21:51

-Mistura (any branch).

-Oci. Mde.

-La Causa (Provenza & Laureles).

-Credenza (Centro).

-Kabuki.

I am posting this out of surprise I don't see them mentioned in this thread. I get the impression Hacienda and Hato Viejo are at the high end of preferences based on what I read in this thread. I did see in Situ mentioned. That is more to my liking but I find the location a little inconvenient. La Provincia is pretty close to the gringo inn. I don't recommend it because it is much more form than substance and it's a pain in the neck to get a reservation there. It's not worth the effort in my opinion. There are worthwhile places around Lleras but they've been reviewed to death so I won't spend time on them here.I'll toss in a few in Laureles.

Las Hermanas Paisas on Circular 4 just east of Carrera 70.

Fonda Bar El Reno on Circular 2 close to Avenida Bolivariana.

El Colmado Carrera 70, just a few blocks south of metro station Estadio.

All are reasonably priced comida topics.

Full Arabe on Circular 5 west of Carrera 70. Excellent Lebanese food.

Wolf662
03-08-18, 21:19
-Credenza (Centro)

I get the impression Hacienda and Hato Viejo are at the high end of preferences based on what I read in this thread.2nd that on Credenza, I think it blows Hacienda and Hatoviejo out of the water, and I like those 2!

Cafe Colombo Credenza.

Carrera 45 No 53-24.

10th Floor, Medellin -in Centro, nice romantic balcony seating on the 10th floor.

+57 4 2516151.

http://www.credenzafoods.com/

Just took my FaseII sweetie Estrella there a few days ago, wow was it good, the clam thing she ordered was about the best thing I have ever tasted!

(Estrella was dressed like a little bear, I called her "Winne the Pooh" all night. LOL).

We ordered salads, appetizers, main course, desert, beer, beverages, pitcher of Sangria and the bill was still only about 150 k tip incld and 48 k of that was the enormous pitcher of red Sangria.

The 1st photo is a stock photo from their website of the inside seating, the others are mine.

Wolf662
03-10-18, 03:33
2nd that on Credenza, I think it blows Hacienda and Hatoviejo out of the water, and I like those 2!

Cafe Colombo Credenza.

Carrera 45 No 53-24.

10th Floor, Medellin -in Centro, nice romantic balcony seating on the 10th floor..Just talked to Estrella, what she had that was so good there was:

"Morrillo tiernizado.

En salsa de setas: portobellos / championes / orellanas".

"Tenderized Morrillo in mushroom sauce: portobellos / mushrooms / orellanas." 32 k.

BeverlyLa1234
05-19-18, 19:33
Hi guys,

I heard there are some great restaurants in Medellin. I really want to take a date to one of the places below. Will it be noticeable I am with a chica (will the girl know how to address appropriately)? Or should I try a less upscale place? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.carmenmedellin.com/en/

http://www.elcielorestaurant.com

Combo
05-20-18, 00:50
Hi guys,

I heard there are some great restaurants in Medellin. I really want to take a date to one of the places below. Will it be noticeable I am with a chica (will the girl know how to address appropriately)? Or should I try a less upscale place? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.elcielorestaurant.comNot sure about "great" (Michelin-starred), but those two are about as good as it gets in MDE. I also really like OCI (O).

As far as attracting attention, there are lots of variables. Difference in age, how both of you are dressed, you Spanish ability, etc. If you are three times her age and wearing shorts and talking loud in English and if she looks like a hooker, yes you will stick our like a sore thumb. Personally I hate seeing this as it gives Gringo visitors a bad name, but it's a free world.

Questner
05-20-18, 01:50
Hi guys,

http://www.elcielorestaurant.comUnfortunately, there is a class division, and Colombians don't mix well in the places they don't belong. You may start with a suggestion your girl picks the place, and then maybe you can upgrade next time. You have to know where she lives and to which social group (estrato) she belongs; after all you may have a great time together at a simple venue.

BeverlyLa1234
05-20-18, 02:37
Unfortunately, there is a class division, and Colombians don't mix well in the places they don't belong. You may start with a suggestion your girl picks the place, and then maybe you can upgrade next time. You have to know where she lives and to which social group (estrato) she belongs; after all you may have a great time together at a simple venue.Good insight. I really want to take someone to El Cielo. Do I simply ask the girl her estrato? Or is there a more subtle way to ask?

Thanka.

JjBee62
05-20-18, 10:37
Hi guys,

http://www.elcielorestaurant.comHere's the problem. Many girls show up looking like hookers. That's not as big of a problem as it sounds because I've seen office workers dressed like hookers. Short skirts, tight tops and cleavage are perfectly acceptable business attire.

However, in a nice restaurant, an actual hooker, dressed like a hooker, with an obvious gringo sticks out like a sore thumb. Meanwhile, a secretary, dressed the same, sitting with her 60 year old boss (who has his hand on her thigh) looks normal.

I always told the girls to dress conservatively. If I wanted to have lunch or dinner with them I'd meet at a casual bar so I could assess their clothing choice before deciding on a restaurant.

If you don't mind the cost, try El Botaniko, Carrera 33 #7-21.

BeverlyLa1234
05-20-18, 19:36
Here's the problem. Many girls show up looking like hookers. That's not as big of a problem as it sounds because I've seen office workers dressed like hookers. Short skirts, tight tops and cleavage are perfectly acceptable business attire.

However, in a nice restaurant, an actual hooker, dressed like a hooker, with an obvious gringo sticks out like a sore thumb. Meanwhile, a secretary, dressed the same, sitting with her 60 year old boss (who has his hand on her thigh) looks normal.

I always told the girls to dress conservatively. If I wanted to have lunch or dinner with them I'd meet at a casual bar so I could assess their clothing choice before deciding on a restaurant.

If you don't mind the cost, try El Botaniko, Carrera 33 #7-21.Thanks. I don't mind buying the girl an affordable dress and heels. Thoughts on that? I personally like dressing them up. And I am sure the stores there aren't like Barney's New York or Nordstrom.

JjBee62
05-21-18, 00:02
Good insight. I really want to take someone to El Cielo. Do I simply ask the girl her estrato? Or is there a more subtle way to ask?

Thanka.Chances are, she's estrato 3 or lower. Just ask what barrio she's from.

Nothing wrong with taking her out shopping. Plenty of cheap clothes in Mayorista and El Centro. Malls will be priced comparable to the US.

Questner
05-21-18, 05:12
Good insight. I really want to take someone to El Cielo. Do I simply ask the girl her estrato? Or is there a more subtle way to ask?

Thanka.Even if this is a P4P site, I assume she is a civilian. Colored Medellin maps with corresponding city districts and their socio-economic position are widely available, just google them. You may ask her where her family and friends live, that is which area of the city and if she is from Medellin per se. Sometimes girls come from other cities and rent with other girls together. So she may rent in say, Laureles, which is estrato 5 by most, but still she does not belong to that level. Of course, if she agrees to come alone or bring along anyone with her is another story by itself. In my case, Colombianas on most occasions bring their family or friends, in which case you have to stay cool and firm and split the bill with Colombian men (the key word is 'colloborar), otherwise it would look stupid as they absolutely would take advantage of the rich paying gringo. Sorry for the truth. My experience on feeding Latinas in restaurants is negative, they don't appreciate it, leave food on the table, get sleepy afterwards etc. Better take them to a club and dance ('rumbear'.

Ty Down
06-28-18, 16:19
I've never created a thread before but I'm giving it a shot since I've appreciated restaurant reviews on ArgentinaPrivate.Thank you for creating this thread! Good info here.

QuackUp
08-13-18, 04:38
Here are some restaurants that I thought were pretty good. Most around the Laureles area. Voraz, a higher end restaurant. Good steaks and really good pork bbq ribs with homemade bbq sauce. Tr 39 B #74 B-41. This is the place I took the girl from casa de Piedra to and she loved it. Dejame Q Te Cuenta. Another good place for steaks and was close to the hotel. Cr 70 / Circular 2-47. Opera pizza. Italian food but I liked their thin crust pizza. My buddy and I wanted a light lunch so we split a pizza. Ca 42 #70-22. There were many other restaurant we tried but the ones above would be the ones I would go back to. Also, can't remember who posted it but he recommended Las Hermanas Paisas at Cir 4 east of 70. Unfortunately this restaurant is no more. We walked there from the hotel and nobody inside no grill on. There were a couple of guys next door at the tatoo shop and we asked if the restaurant will open later but they said the restaurant went out of business. They recommended a small cheap restaurant not far from there on Cr 70 but I totally forgot the name of the place. I really wanted to try Cafe Colombo Credenza but ran out of time.

Mongo1
07-10-19, 04:19
Great place to eat. I was staying At the M last January and Parmesano's is right down the hill from there. They have a awesome Lasagna.

http://parmessano.com.co/

I just wish they were here in Bogota. Dollar for dollar, maybe my favorite restaurant in the world! For real. Mushroom soup, ceasar salad. Everything. And the prices couldn't be more reasonable. I always had great service. Wish I could go right now.

JjBee62
07-12-19, 21:36
This is a relatively new mall that's been built some time in the past 18 months. It's located on top of the Envigado Exito and HomeCenter and is supposed to be the largest in Colombia.

It's just a short walk, on a dedicated walkway, from the Envigado metro station and includes an IMax theater, small amusement park and a great selection of restaurants and bars.