PDA

View Full Version : Hong Kong Hotels?

SBTiger
10-11-18, 08:08
Guys.

Planning to visit Hong Kong end of the month, read thru few pages of threads could not get a clear idea about hotels and the scene.

First time visit to HK. Want to have some of the basics straight.

Is Kowloon side or Hong Kong side more suitable to stay. Price / mongering, airport commute and in general. Assuming you can take boat across easily (Also are the typical hotels girl friendly? And we take girls to our Hotel or they have places or ST hotels?

141/161 and all these girls have their places? All seem to have a listed address. Do the listed prices exclude room charges if any?

Thanks much,

Sam.

Jsxyz
10-15-18, 19:56
Guys.

Planning to visit Hong Kong end of the month, read thru few pages of threads could not get a clear idea about hotels and the scene.

First time visit to HK. Want to have some of the basics straight.

Is Kowloon side or Hong Kong side more suitable to stay. Price / mongering, airport commute and in general. Assuming you can take boat across easily (Also are the typical hotels girl friendly? And we take girls to our Hotel or they have places or ST hotels?

141/161 and all these girls have their places? All seem to have a listed address. Do the listed prices exclude room charges if any?

Thanks much,

Sam.I could swear there used to be a hotels thread here, but maybe I'm mis-remembering. Anyway, all hotels in Hong Kong are girl friendly. You won't have to worry about it AT ALL, AT ANY HOTEL. As for where to stay, it depends a little bit on what you want to do. If you're just going to spas and walk-ups, Kowloon might be better; but if you want to hit the bars in Wan Chai then I'd stay on the island. Either way though it's a fast cheap subway ride across, so it doesn't really matter that much.

And for 141 and other walk-ups, there's no extra room charge; it's all included.

SBTiger
10-17-18, 01:28
I could swear there used to be a hotels thread here, but maybe I'm mis-remembering. Anyway, all hotels in Hong Kong are girl friendly. You won't have to worry about it AT ALL, AT ANY HOTEL. As for where to stay, it depends a little bit on what you want to do. If you're just going to spas and walk-ups, Kowloon might be better; but if you want to hit the bars in Wan Chai then I'd stay on the island. Either way though it's a fast cheap subway ride across, so it doesn't really matter that much.

And for 141 and other walk-ups, there's no extra room charge; it's all included.
Thanks, Kowloon hotels seem cheaper. Wanchai bars likely have FLs.

So there is also a subway between. I thought you had to use a boat, visited HK a while ago, 10 yrs, don't remember subway.

Sam

Jsxyz
10-18-18, 14:14
Thanks, Kowloon hotels seem cheaper. Wanchai bars likely have FLs.

So there is also a subway between. I thought you had to use a boat, visited HK a while ago, 10 yrs, don't remember subway.

SamSubway opened in 1980 according to Wikipedia! =).

Shamester
10-26-19, 03:07
Please provide hotel names close to the Wan Chai bar area.

Thank you.

Live469
10-29-19, 13:17

Thank you.I stay at the Conrad. While technically in Admiralty, it is three blocks from the Wan Chai bars with easy access direct to the elevators from the third level of Pacific Place mall. Shanghai-La is also right next door.

Live 4 69.

Shamester
10-30-19, 01:11
I stay at the Conrad. While technically in Admiralty, it is three blocks from the Wan Chai bars with easy access direct to the elevators from the third level of Pacific Place mall. Shanghai-La is also right next door.

Live 4 69.Thanks. Anyone have a closer option?

Flyboy 2000
10-30-19, 06:27

Thank you.Please try Google "hotels wan chai" for starters.

Live469
10-30-19, 13:35
I stay at the Conrad. While technically in Admiralty, it is three blocks from the Wan Chai bars with easy access direct to the elevators from the third level of Pacific Place mall. Shanghai-La is also right next door.

Live 4 69.Crazy auto correct speller, obviously I meant "Shangri-La".

Shamester
10-30-19, 16:04
Please try Google "hotels wan chai" for starters.Already did that. Recommendations from experienced mongers supersede google.

Chantik
10-31-19, 16:06
The gents have given you more than enough information to make a choice. At no stage did you give a budget?

JackTheLad2
10-31-19, 16:23
Already did that. Recommendations from experienced mongers supersede google.It would maybe help if you were a bit more pleasant in your question with a "please' or "thank you" instead of the abrupt sentence.

Plenty hotels in Wanchai right next door almost to the action. As Chantik says, no mention of budget.

Shamester
11-01-19, 15:46
The gents have given you more than enough information to make a choice. At no stage did you give a budget?Thanks. Under $100 per night.

Flyboy 2000
11-02-19, 01:06
Thanks. Under $100 per night.Here is a Hotelscom lookup for hotels at and around Wan Chai for <USD100/ night, based on a few nights middle of Nov. Plenty choose from.

https://hotels.com/search.do?resolved-location=NEIGHBORHOOD%3A1645215%3AUNKNOWN%3AUNKNOWN&f-price-currency-code=USD&f-price-multiplier=2&f-price-max=100&destination-id=1645215&q-destination=Wan%20Chai, %20 Hong%20 Kong,%20 Hong%20 Kong%20 SAR&q-check-in=2019-11-12&q-check-out=2019-11-14&q-rooms=1&q-room-0-adults=2&q-room-0-children=0.

Shamester
11-02-19, 17:20
Here is a Hotelscom lookup for hotels at and around Wan Chai for <USD100/ night, based on a few nights middle of Nov. Plenty choose from.

https://hotels.com/search.do?resolved-location=NEIGHBORHOOD%3A1645215%3AUNKNOWN%3AUNKNOWN&f-price-currency-code=USD&f-price-multiplier=2&f-price-max=100&destination-id=1645215&q-destination=Wan%20Chai, %20 Hong%20 Kong,%20 Hong%20 Kong%20 SAR&q-check-in=2019-11-12&q-check-out=2019-11-14&q-rooms=1&q-room-0-adults=2&q-room-0-children=0.Thanks. Extremely useful. Anyone want to chime in with experience staying at a "value" hotel in Wan Chai?

Flyboy 2000
11-03-19, 02:31
Thanks. Extremely useful. Anyone want to chime in with experience staying at a "value" hotel in Wan Chai?I was going to suggest you also look at an AirBnB but one benefit of a hotel is fresh sheets and towels every day with more on request as needed, often on the way out for the evening I'll have them send up an extra few bath towels for the night and morning ahead. Also of course better security, if that's a concern.

For hotels, I suggest you make a booking for two people not just one, especially if the room rate includes breakfast. It's usually the same price but if you book for one and have a guest, some hotels will charge you extra just for having one more person in the room, and for breakfast they almost certainly will levy a second-person charge which will obviously hit your budget.

Stykler
04-16-20, 07:10
Can anyone on the ground in HK at the moment let me know if the Hotel Panorama in TST is still operating? I last stayed there in December 2019 and need to contact them however emails are not answered, web site is down and the phone and fax numbers are non responsive. Any local intel would be appreciated. TIA.

AussieGaigin
04-16-20, 07:54
Can anyone on the ground in HK at the moment let me know if the Hotel Panorama in TST is still operating? I last stayed there in December 2019 and need to contact them however emails are not answered, web site is down and the phone and fax numbers are non responsive. Any local intel would be appreciated. TIA.Web site seems to be active, but attempts at booking on a few different dates gives message "no rooms available on these dates".

Have you got a plan B.?

Stykler
04-16-20, 09:13
Web site seems to be active, but attempts at booking on a few different dates gives message "no rooms available on these dates".

Have you got a plan B.?With the web site, are you using this one? https://www.hotelpanorama.com.hk.

I don't need a plan be really, I just needed to ask them about my last stay. Would you have a suggestion?

Nipav
04-16-20, 11:23
Can anyone on the ground in HK at the moment let me know if the Hotel Panorama in TST is still operating? I last stayed there in December 2019 and need to contact them however emails are not answered, web site is down and the phone and fax numbers are non responsive. Any local intel would be appreciated. TIA.Hello, I think hotel panorama is closed now. Hotel YMCA Salisbury is open and it is good hotel, same small hotel XI, near Panorama, is ok hotel.

T. Nipav.

Stykler
04-16-20, 23:09
Hello, I think hotel panorama is closed now. Hotel YMCA Salisbury is open and it is good hotel, same small hotel XI, near Panorama, is ok hotel.

T. Nipav.Thanks for the intel. You have saved me some time.

Ramn HK
04-22-20, 06:01
I just called them up and they confirmed they were closed.

Can anyone on the ground in HK at the moment let me know if the Hotel Panorama in TST is still operating? I last stayed there in December 2019 and need to contact them however emails are not answered, web site is down and the phone and fax numbers are non responsive. Any local intel would be appreciated. TIA.

Stykler
04-22-20, 07:10
I just called them up and they confirmed they were closed.Thanks for letting me know as when I rang them on the number on my last invoice the phone rang out. Oh well, mystery solved.

Gus69
05-02-20, 09:46
Are there any Hong Kong based travel agents who can supply 5* hotel rates cheaper than Booking or hotels.com?

It's 17 years since I last visited but I am ready for a return, in those 17 years my focus was on Thailand. .

I stayed at the Grand Stanford Intercontinental before, great harbour views and some very interesting nightlife in the adjacent square. .

Stykler
05-02-20, 11:37
Are there any Hong Kong based travel agents who can supply 5* hotel rates cheaper than Booking or hotels.com?

It's 17 years since I last visited but I am ready for a return, in those 17 years my focus was on Thailand. .

I stayed at the Grand Stanford Intercontinental before, great harbour views and some very interesting nightlife in the adjacent square. .Just book direct through the hotels web page. Far easier to get changes done if you need to. Enjoy.

Flyboy 2000
05-04-20, 03:28
Just book direct through the hotels web page. Far easier to get changes done if you need to. Enjoy.Yes, go direct to the hotel. Join its loyalty program in case there are discounts offered to members, eg Hilton does this for Hilton Honors. If you see a very good deal on Hotel.com or Wotif.com and this seems to be better than the hotel's own rate, call the hotel and ask them to match that rate.

Also, I suggest you make your booking for two people instead of one if it's the same price, especially if you get a good room rate that includes breakfast or club lounge access, because if you book for one person and you have a lady stay overnight you'll the have to pay the hotel's outlandish rates for breakfast for her, or if you take a date up to the lounge for happy hour drinks and a bite to eat, you may have to pay a 'guest' fee.

Gus69
05-09-20, 09:35
Thanks for the tips Guys. It looks like it will be later in the year when I re-visit, as long as Covoid has receded.

Stykler
08-29-20, 02:35
I found out through this forum some months ago that the Hotel Panorama on Hart Ave TST has closed. Can anyone in the HK scene at the moment tell me what is on that location now? Another hotel?

Thanks.

Qeast
01-15-21, 18:32
I found out through this forum some months ago that the Hotel Panorama on Hart Ave TST has closed. Can anyone in the HK scene at the moment tell me what is on that location now? Another hotel?

Thanks.I don't know for a "fact", but I'll share this "conjecture".

Keep in mind that hotel operators--such as Marriott, usually do not own the structure bearing the brand's signage. Marriott is providing management services; the hotel owner is a franchisee.

I have read a lot of articles discussing the closure of hotels (in general), due to the plunge in business and tourist traffic. I also read that other Hong Kong hotel properties managed by Rhombus International (Hotel Panorama; Hotel LKF; Hotel Pennington) have also closed. My suspicion is that Rhombus is exiting the HK market. The owners of these property (ies) will find a new management company and re-open as a hotel when the market conditions are right. From the reviews these were nice properties, so I don't see them being target for redevelopment.

PinkPearl
03-20-21, 18:57
I wonder what HKG Hong Kong hotel prices will be after international travel gets going again. Recently I read an article about HKG planning to offering incentives to lure travelers. Due to the recent political moves by Beijing re HKG, I assume many travelers will be looking elsewhere to spend their time.

About 10 years ago when I was considering a three month visit to HKG the high hotel prices and small claustrophobic rooms were a turn off. I opted for Singapore instead.

Back in 2019 the following article speaks of HKG hotel prices plunging during a time of protests:

https://www.scmp.com/property/hong-kong-china/article/3030089/hong-kong-hoteliers-issue-sos-plunging-rates-touch-us9

Flyboy 2000
03-21-21, 03:01
I wonder what HKG Hong Kong hotel prices will be after international travel gets going again. Recently I read an article about HKG planning to offering incentives to lure travelers. Due to the recent political moves by Beijing re HKG, I assume many travelers will be looking elsewhere to spend their time.

About 10 years ago when I was considering a three month visit to HKG the high hotel prices and small claustrophobic rooms were a turn off. I opted for Singapore instead.

Back in 2019 the following article speaks of HKG hotel prices plunging during a time of protests:

https://www.scmp.com/property/hong-kong-china/article/3030089/hong-kong-hoteliers-issue-sos-plunging-rates-touch-us9I think we will see a lot of specials and low rates, but also for more extended stays, eg minimum 3-4 nights, or stay four nights get a fifth night free, that sort of thing, if the HK tourism board gets behind this and tried to add incentives for longer stays. I would also think there would be more 'buying' with specials such as free breakfast.