PDA

View Full Version : Free ATM in Colombia

PirateMorgan
01-01-20, 12:33
So listen CAREFULLY. You want to use the Colpatria / Scotiabank ATM. NOT the Colpatria ATM. Not the Scotiabank ATM. They are different. You want the Colpatria / Scotiabank ATM. It is different. A combination of the two. I THINK it will say on the front that you can take out 2,700,000 pesos each day. I take out 900,000 3 times. Works best for me. Any other use of ATMs in Colombia is dumb. Search around and you will find the 'good' Colpatria / Scotia ATMs. Don't get fooled!

JjBee62
01-01-20, 14:42
So listen CAREFULLY. You want to use the Colpatria / Scotiabank ATM. NOT the Colpatria ATM. Not the Scotiabank ATM. They are different. You want the Colpatria / Scotiabank ATM. It is different. A combination of the two. I THINK it will say on the front that you can take out 2,700,000 pesos each day. I take out 900,000 3 times. Works best for me. Any other use of ATMs in Colombia is dumb. Search around and you will find the 'good' Colpatria / Scotia ATMs. Don't get fooled!Just for the record:

Davivienda. No ATM fee. Max amount per withdrawal varies, depending on your bank. For me, max withdrawal 2,008,000. Others report 780 k for Max.

Banco Pichincha. No ATM fee. Max 1 million per withdrawal. No idea on max number of withdrawals. However, watched my roommate pull 6 million in one visit. Allows additional withdrawals without restarting the transaction. Insert card, enter PIN, select transaction, take cash. Select transaction, enter PIN, take cash. Slightly faster for someone pulling more than 1 withdrawal.

Max withdrawal may vary, for any ATM, depending on your bank and the condition of the chip on your card.

Fun Luvr
01-01-20, 15:59
Just for the record:

Davivienda. No ATM fee. Max amount per withdrawal varies, depending on your bank. For me, max withdrawal 2,008,000. Others report 780 k for Max.

Banco Pichincha. No ATM fee. Max 1 million per withdrawal. No idea on max number of withdrawals.For me, using my Schwab card at Davivienda, the max is 400 K per transaction. I usually do two withdrawals. I haven't tried three recently, but the third has been rejected in the past. Sometimes I go to BBVA (also free withdrawals) after Davivienda and do two more withdrawals of 400 K each (also max). I have verified with Schwab that the max withdrawal is 1,000 USD per day.

Where are Banco Pichincha ATM's in Medellin?

Manizales911
01-01-20, 17:36
I have verified with Schwab that the max withdrawal is 1,000 USD per dayOne phone call to Schwab and they will raise it to $2000. No problem. I used my Charles Schwab card to withdraw the equivalent of $10,000. USD to buy a car over the course of 5 days.

Datiao
01-01-20, 17:42
So listen CAREFULLY. You want to use the Colpatria / Scotiabank ATM. NOT the Colpatria ATM. Not the Scotiabank ATM. They are different. You want the Colpatria / Scotiabank ATM. It is different. A combination of the two. I THINK it will say on the front that you can take out 2,700,000 pesos each day. I take out 900,000 3 times. Works best for me. Any other use of ATMs in Colombia is dumb. Search around and you will find the 'good' Colpatria / Scotia ATMs. Don't get fooled!Nice to hear that.

Does the ATM accept Union pay cards?

PirateMorgan
01-01-20, 18:59
One more time. Don't listen to what these other guys are talking about. If you follow my instructions the Schwab info is useless because there will be no ATM fees. And any other info is worthless as long as you use the correct Colpatria / Scotia ATM. Your limit with be 2,700,000 pesos per day whatever Schwab says. The ATM limit in Colombia is a COUNTRY limit.

JjBee62
01-01-20, 20:05
For me, using my Schwab card at Davivienda, the max is 400 K per transaction. I usually do two withdrawals. I haven't tried three recently, but the third has been rejected in the past. Sometimes I go to BBVA (also free withdrawals) after Davivienda and do two more withdrawals of 400 K each (also max). I have verified with Schwab that the max withdrawal is 1,000 USD per day.

Where are Banco Pichincha ATM's in Medellin?Last time I had checked there were only 2. I just checked again and it looks like 4 now. One in Itagui, Envigado, Poblado and El Centro.

The one I've used is on Avenida Poblado, south of CC Santa Fe. Directly across from the DHL building. Security guard there day and night.

JjBee62
01-01-20, 20:20
One more time. Don't listen to what these other guys are talking about. If you follow my instructions the Schwab info is useless because there will be no ATM fees. And any other info is worthless as long as you use the correct Colpatria / Scotia ATM. Your limit with be 2,700,000 pesos per day whatever Schwab says. The ATM limit in Colombia is a COUNTRY limit.I'm sorry you feel nobody else should share any ATM information.

My own experience, the Colpatria / Scotia ATM wouldn't accept my card. If someone ignores all the other information and finds themselves in the same boat, are you going to be there to get them money?

I've seen various amounts offered as max withdrawal at the same ATM, for myself and another monger. He could only pull 780 k. Seconds later, I could have taken 2,080,000 but only took 1,080,000. Another person I know reported he could only get 400 k from the same ATM.

I know my roommate pulled 6 million from a Banco Pichincha ATM, because she handed each 1 million to me to count and carry for her. I know I also pulled 3 million out from the same ATM, using a card from the same US bank she was using.

I know that I had my card rejected by several ATMs, or was only allowed smaller withdrawals than I had made before. I discovered, when I returned to the US, the chip in my card was defective. New card fixed the problem.

I know people who get charged no fee at Citibank ATMs, but the last time I checked, I was charged a fee.

If any of what I know, because I've witnessed it with my own eyes, is different from what you know, it's possible you don't yet know everything.

Fun Luvr
01-01-20, 20:48
One phone call to Schwab and they will raise it to $2000. No problem. I used my Charles Schwab card to withdraw the equivalent of $10,000. USD to buy a car over the course of 5 days.A good point about that is you can tell them how long you want the change of limit to be in effect.

Fun Luvr
01-01-20, 20:57
One more time. Don't listen to what these other guys are talking about. If you follow my instructions the Schwab info is useless because there will be no ATM fees. And any other info is worthless as long as you use the correct Colpatria / Scotia ATM. Your limit with be 2,700,000 pesos per day whatever Schwab says. The ATM limit in Colombia is a COUNTRY limit.If all other info is useless, then what ATM card do you use? Or do you use your fingerprints or face recognition? Regardless of the ATM limit, you are not going to get more than the limit set by the bank which issued the card.

JohnnyWalker55
01-01-20, 21:10
One more time. Don't listen to what these other guys are talking about. If you follow my instructions the Schwab info is useless because there will be no ATM fees. And any other info is worthless as long as you use the correct Colpatria / Scotia ATM. Your limit with be 2,700,000 pesos per day whatever Schwab says. The ATM limit in Colombia is a COUNTRY limit.It would help if you could say where it is LOL.

Is it the one in la candeleria next to parque berrio metro station "colpatria multibanca del grupo scotiabank"? That is the only one that shows up on maps.

And you didn't mention if they charge any withdrawal fees?

Right now banco Pinchincha seems like the best option, there are a bunch of them and I can withdraw a week's worth of play money at once without fees.

Questner
01-01-20, 22:51
Please post banking links on to how to locate the nearest ATM to Colpatria / Scotiabank, Davivienda and Pichincha branch ATMs.

If the posted search engine can identify the ATMs on VISA Plus that will be great.

Ricky Zanchez
04-27-20, 20:51
Please post banking links on to how to locate the nearest ATM to Colpatria / Scotiabank, Davivienda and Pichincha branch ATMs.

If the posted search engine can identify the ATMs on VISA Plus that will be great.https://www.scotiabankcolpatria.com/oficinas/medellin

Questner
04-28-20, 01:58
Thanks, ScotiaColpatria and BBVA worked great; always have couple of locations in mind as they run out of cash from time to time. If you arrive at the ATM and it says it was temporarily out of order, still try as it may work since the last announcement appeared. ScotiaColpatria has a choice of making a donation to a good cause on your withdrawal.

Zeos1
04-28-20, 04:47
Thanks, ScotiaColpatria and BBVA worked great; always have couple of locations in mind as they run out of cash from time to time. If you arrive at the ATM and it says it was temporarily out of order, still try as it may work since the last announcement appeared. ScotiaColpatria has a choice of making a donation to a good cause on your withdrawal.I was always trying to max out my withdrawals to minimize the impact of my fee per transaction back home. ScotiaColpatria has or at least had a month ago a max of 900 K I think. Which worked out the best for me. But often the machines would not do it. Don't know why because they don't say. But the larger malls with machines inside were the most likely to have cash. During weekday working hours and next to an actual Scotia Colpatria bank.

A lot of locations on google don't exist anymore. The merger of Scotia and Colpatria and Citibank have resulted in redundancies and many closed locations. Locations were sometimes originally Colpatria, or Scotiabank. But are generally rebranded with the both showing.

SoloOperadas
10-05-20, 14:26
Well guys this is an important issue in Colombia, to withdraw big amounts of money.

Personally always used Davivienda, they apply international rates and no fees. I withdraw 2 times 2 million pesos (which is the max at the cajero) 4 M a day in general with no fees and at the best rate. Do not know is there is a way to withdraw more with in Davivienda.

Will try at the end of October and will let you know.

Bancolombia apply fees as well as city; Few years ago the best deal was city with like 10.000 pesos fees for 2 M pesos withdraw.

Now it is clearly davivienda, international rate and no fees.

Do someone have other experience with other banks?

Kazeu
10-16-20, 01:03
Well guys this is an important issue in Colombia, to withdraw big amounts of money.

Personally always used Davivienda, they apply international rates and no fees. I withdraw 2 times 2 million pesos (which is the max at the cajero) 4 M a day in general with no fees and at the best rate. Do not know is there is a way to withdraw more with in Davivienda.

Bancolombia apply fees as well as city; Few years ago the best deal was city with like 10.000 pesos fees for 2 M pesos withdraw.

Do someone have other experience with other banks?I had a bad experience with Davivienda ATMs recently and my Schwab ATM card. The cash was taken from my account but I was not given any cash from the ATM machine. This happened twice on 2 different Davivienda ATM machines.

Today I used a Colpatria ATM where I made a max withdrawl of 900000 COP. I looked at my bank account after and 234.16 was charged to my account, meaning the exchange rate was 3843.5 COP / USD.

XE.com lists the rate at 3849.04 COP / USD. Not bad.

Kazeu
10-16-20, 01:06
One more time. Don't listen to what these other guys are talking about. If you follow my instructions the Schwab info is useless because there will be no ATM fees. And any other info is worthless as long as you use the correct Colpatria / Scotia ATM. Your limit with be 2,700,000 pesos per day whatever Schwab says. The ATM limit in Colombia is a COUNTRY limit.I am pretty sure this is not true or may have changed recently as during my transaction the Colpatria ATM explictly told me that its limits were 4. 500.000 per day and 900.000 per transaction.

Kazeu
10-16-20, 01:08
So listen CAREFULLY. You want to use the Colpatria / Scotiabank ATM. NOT the Colpatria ATM. Not the Scotiabank ATM. They are different. You want the Colpatria / Scotiabank ATM. It is different. A combination of the two. I THINK it will say on the front that you can take out 2,700,000 pesos each day. I take out 900,000 3 times. Works best for me. Any other use of ATMs in Colombia is dumb. Search around and you will find the 'good' Colpatria / Scotia ATMs. Don't get fooled!Great info! I never realized there was a difference between Colpatria / Scotiabank vs Colpatria vs Scotiabank.

Kazeu
11-29-20, 21:20
Dumbass that I am I tried to withdraw again from a Davivienda ATM today thinking that the withdrawal problems from early October might have been resolved. The ATM took money from my account again and did not dispense any cash to me. This is the last time I try that.

Zeos1
11-30-20, 05:00
Great info! I never realized there was a difference between Colpatria / Scotiabank vs Colpatria vs Scotiabank.I think they are in the process of making them all the same. Scotia bought out Colpatria, Citibank (Colombia), and a few others and is consolidating locations, systems, etc.

Fun Luvr
11-30-20, 17:41
I am pretty sure this is not true or may have changed recently as during my transaction the Colpatria ATM explictly told me that its limits were 4. 500.000 per day and 900.000 per transaction.This morning, the Scotiabank Colpatria ATM showed that message. It is in small print at the bottom of the display. The price of oil is dropping, so I don't understand the value of the dollar dropping so much in the last month, almost 8% and still dropping.

Zeos1
11-30-20, 19:51

Do someone have other experience with other banks?I'm not sure what you mean by "international rate". I usually compare to the mid market rate on currency exchanges. Which is generally around the mid point between the buy and the sell rates. I have found that I am always charged a commission against that rate. No matter what bank, what ATM, or whatever.

There is another rate out there that is some sort of interbank daily exchange rate. I don't know what it is called, but I've heard it described, and I think it tends to lag the currency markets by about a day. So comparing to that rate some days you may get a break, other days pay extra, if you're comparing it to a "live" market rate.

LoveItHere69
05-27-21, 06:21
I had a bad experience with Davivienda ATMs recently and my Schwab ATM card. The cash was taken from my account but I was not given any cash from the ATM machine. This happened twice on 2 different Davivienda ATM machines.Had that problem twice last year in Barranquilla and again this month in Medellin. The older software only seemed to give a max payout of 600,000 and no problems. Been using the same ATM at Berrio Station for 3 months. Yesterday they upgraded the software so I can withdraw 2,000,000 and it stole my money saying some kind of error. My belief it is because I chose "NO" to the conversion rate.

BearEmy84
06-05-22, 02:54
BBVA ATM's have been giving me competitive rates and charge no fees for withdrawals with my Wells Fargo debit card.

Soker2
12-03-23, 19:02
Davivienda ATM withdrawals without commission. You can withdraw from 20,000 to 2,000,000 at a time.

The main thing is not to agree to their conversion. Click on Decline Conversion.

When you withdraw without commission, you can withdraw 80,000 a couple of times. So you will receive 4 20,000 bills each time.

Gabacho
01-09-24, 13:44
So I don't know what the fuck is going on but it seems recently (within the last year) that we went from having 3 or 4 free ATM choices to not having any now.

Davivienda, as LatinaLover#1 first reported, and I subsequently confirmed, now adds in a hidden 15 mil fee by altering the exchange rate to charge you 15 mil more than it should be. It doesn't even tell you about the fee or ask you to accept or decline it, it is just built into the exchange rate, and no I'm not talking about the exchange rate they offer you, even if you decline that as always they are still tacking on a hidden 15 mil fee.

BBVA (at least for capital one cardholders) was always free up until March of 2023 then started charging a fee of 18 mil in April and now has raised their fee to 20,100.

Banco Caja Social used to always be free and was my go to ATM for many years especially back in the early days when I first came to Bogota. Now you put your card in and select retirar and corrientes and all that and get the options of 20,000 to 300,000 and select what you want and put in your Pin number and then it takes longer than it should and then an error message pops up on the screen "temporalmente no es posible completar su transaccion" I tried at like 5 different Caja Social ATMs and they are all the same.

Banco Pichincha, I have no idea if this bank still offers free ATM withdrawals or not, I spent over 3 hours yesterday trying to find the Banco Pichincha in Itagui to no avail. Google lists the address as Calle 50 #48-56 and when I got there to that address (using Google maps and navigation) it was a fucking zapateria (shoe store). I asked several people including a police officer and no on seems to know where Banco Pichincha is, one guy said it was down 2 blocks but that was a servibanca and the the cop said it was around the corner (which it wasn't). Apparently they have a branch in Poblado maybe that one is still there.

It seems we went from having several fee free ATM options up until December of last year and now it is like which ATM will rip me off the least amount. For me personally I still like Davivienda since you can withdraw up to 2 Million pesos at once with just the 15 mil hidden fee, so they are the lessor of all evils unless if I can manage to find this pichincha bank and see if it's true that they don't charge any fees.

The alternative of course would be to get an account with Schwab then it wouldn't matter what ATM is used as Schwab refunds all the ATM fees.

DiscoverFL
01-09-24, 17:51
So I don't know what the fuck is going on but it seems recently (within the last year) that we went from having 3 or 4 free ATM choices to not having any now.

Davivienda, as LatinaLover#1 first reported, and I subsequently confirmed, now adds in a hidden 15 mil fee by altering the exchange rate to charge you 15 mil more than it should be. It doesn't even tell you about the fee or ask you to accept or decline it, it is just built into the exchange rate, and no I'm not talking about the exchange rate they offer you, even if you decline that as always they are still tacking on a hidden 15 mil fee.How did you confirm it? I just did a couple withdrawals from Davivienda and it seemed straightforward, I can't see any evidence. So if it is there, it is totally buried. I just see a withdrawal of $518.16 from my checking for $2 mil COP (which would have been $560 if I had not declined their conversion rate).

Gabacho
01-09-24, 18:18
How did you confirm it? I just did a couple withdrawals from Davivienda and it seemed straightforward, I can't see any evidence. So if it is there, it is totally buried. I just see a withdrawal of $518.16 from my checking for $2 mil COP (which would have been $560 if I had not declined their conversion rate).When I logged into my bank account on the capital one website not on the app but on the website, it showed the details of the transaction and it showed a fee called "cargo de ATM" for $3 and some change which was equivalent to 15 mil at the time. I posted screenshots of it in the general information thread about 3 weeks ago.

Gabacho
01-09-24, 18:24
How did you confirm it? I just did a couple withdrawals from Davivienda and it seemed straightforward, I can't see any evidence. So if it is there, it is totally buried. I just see a withdrawal of $518.16 from my checking for $2 mil COP (which would have been $560 if I had not declined their conversion rate).What they are doing is they are lowering the exchange rate from what it should be so that they can extract 15 mil pesos from the total amount that you are being charged. You're in effect receiving 15 mil pesos less than you should have gotten if they had used the correct exchange rate. And yes it is completely buried there is no option to accept or decline it.

Fun Luvr
01-09-24, 23:24
What they are doing is they are lowering the exchange rate from what it should be so that they can extract 15 mil pesos from the total amount that you are being charged. You're in effect receiving 15 mil pesos less than you should have gotten if they had used the correct exchange rate. And yes it is completely buried there is no option to accept or decline it.Not completely correct. They are taking 15 mil, but obviously they are reporting it as an ATM fee to the clearing house because Schwab refunded it at the end of the month.

Gabacho
01-10-24, 00:41
Not completely correct. They are taking 15 mil, but obviously they are reporting it as an ATM fee to the clearing house because Schwab refunded it at the end of the month.But they aren't showing it to us on the screen and asking us to accept or decline nor are they showing us the amount that it is. That was what I was trying to say.

Sounds like I need to get a schwab account now.

Gabacho
01-10-24, 00:51
Not completely correct. They are taking 15 mil, but obviously they are reporting it as an ATM fee to the clearing house because Schwab refunded it at the end of the month.It was you who first reported it right? Not LatinaLover#1 I got your screen names mixed up, my bad. But anyways they are definitely taking 15 mil and not showing it to us on the screen or asking us to accept or decline it, which should be illegal.

I mean they could raise that to 30 mil or whatever the hell they want at anytime and how would we even know until after the transaction has gone through?

Gabacho
01-10-24, 00:55
Not completely correct. They are taking 15 mil, but obviously they are reporting it as an ATM fee to the clearing house because Schwab refunded it at the end of the month.This guy DiscoverFL said he just did several transactions and he didn't even realize that they had charged him the fee and must have just figured the exchange rate was lower than what it was. At a minimum they should have to disclose the fee on the screen of the ATM machine.